At last, the Bruins

The Canadiens’ hottest rivalry resumes tonight, after Boston scored FIVE in the third period to beat the Penguins.

Homecoming for Hal Gill

• Arpon Basu on Lars Eller

• La Presse’s look at tonight’s game

• Pierre Durocher on the struggling forwards

The team photo video

• An interesting piece on Snake70, the Commenter who tipped Mathias Brunet off to Jeff Skinner

• Yvon Pedneault on the NHL in Quebec City

Remembrance Day piece from EOTP

Jaro yanked, Oshie injured

Leafs’ losing streak hits seven. Damien Cox weighs in

Michael Farber loves the shootout. Kovy II, not so much

i6NuT41Wu7A

1. Chuck says:

Well, at least JM allowed O’Byrne to participate in the team photo.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

2. shiram says:

Well, not every team…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

3. Mike D says:

LOL – TSN has Bournival listed at 6’0″, 187lbs.

- Honestly yours

4. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t you guys remember Carbo the Jugglier? He makes Martin look like an amateur.

Here’s a bad but accurate analogy. Line juggling is like the prevent defense in football – bad coaches always do it and it works only rarely but they keep on doing it. Why?

“Sharing is caring.”

5. avatar_58 says:

I would be very annoyed. The NHL jersey is one of the few sports jerseys that remains boo-tiful

6. Chuck says:

No… it’s the 11th hour of the 11th day on the 11th month. It says nothing about the 11th minute.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

7. Mike D says:

I don’t think we’ve sent Boyd down yet have we?  If not, his salary still goes against our cap.  I know he was put on and cleared waivers, but I don’t think we’ve re-assigned him as of yet unless I missed it.

- Honestly yours

8. LA Loyalist says:

FYI – Koivu scored the only goal in Ducks 1-0 win over Islanders last night, set up the winning goal against the Sharks the night before and has 6 points in the last 4 games. Ducks have won 5 in a row.

And then there’s Nomez…

9. Natrous says:

Agreed, however if you’re a 100-million dollar novelist, does that mean you should be able to write a 100-million dollar poem?

I’m a goalie by trade when it comes to hockey, but when I’ve played as a forward and get the rare opportunity for a breakaway, I have found that my brain can cramp up in thinking of all the options I have while figuring out what move to make.. maybe he’s human after all? :P

10. JustSomeguy says:

In his haste to turn around the Leafs, Burke seems to have lost his sense of judgement. Calling an undrafted free agent out of the NCAA a first line centre doesn’t make him so. Kessel for what looks like 2 lottery choices? Maybe he didn’t forsee the Leafs tanking last year and looking for a repeat this year … but still. It looks like Boston is going to be set up to be a capital C Contender in the coming years, and that trade looks to be no small part of it. Things are grim in Toronto, and Burke’s spinning of the Tragedy on Ice in Toronto as a problem with the Leafs’ culture looks increasingly like an attempt to cover up some of his own poor calls.

And, to go off on a tangent, I have no schadenfreude over Halak getting shelled. Both Halak and Price are immensely talented goalies. Trying to choose between them … I can’t. I like them both, albeit for different reasons. Halak is about hard work and focus. Price is about size talent. What I would’ve loved is for an evil genius to create THE GOAL-E COMBINATOR!!! that’d combine Halak’s best traits with Price’s. That’d be one monster goalie to contend with, along the lines of one of the Gazette’s writers saying that it’d be a beautiful thing to combine Gionta’s hard work, determination, and talent with AK’s body.

Here’s hoping tonight’s game’s a good one!

11. nick says:

Lots of laughs this morning!

Kovy’s 100 million dollar shot… I suddenly feel a little better about Gomez oddly.

St. Louis loses 8-1… As much as I’d like to see Halak do well – just not as well as Price…  It’ll be nice to get a little break from the St. Louis fans around here for a day or two.

Oh – and I still don’t really understand what JM is doing with the young guns… Eller, OByrne, etc… Or why after such a successful start to the season he feels the need to split up AK and Plekanec who are arguably the best pairing on the team…

12. shiram says:

That certainly is no excuse for Mister 100 million to show such a pathetic attempt at a shoutout!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

13. Natrous says:

Isn’t it 11:11am that we’re meant to have a moment of silence? Just in case, I’ll plan for 11:00am and 11:11am, given it’s the absolute least I could do for the ultimate sacrifice made by those who serve on our behalf.

14. Julie H says:

Oh hellllllllll no.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

15. Natrous says:

This isn’t meant to come across as some xenophopic comment, but I don’t think Russian hockey players practice the shootout very much and many don’t feel comfortable with it in general. There are several Russian players who excel at it nonetheless, however more often than not I find they appear hesitant, like a lion being fed a dead animal – there’s no instinct in killing something that’s already dead.

I’m willing to bet that if the opposing team was allowed a player to start at the rear blueline when KovyII touches the puck, that the puck goes to the back of the net like it would during regulation.

16. Julie H says:

Good answers. Welcome to the site by the way :)

17. rocketsglare says:

Now, that’s the image of the Habs that I want to see!

18. krob1000 says:

I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate well through type….my bad….

19. Chuck says:

You just knew that this would eventually happen:

NHL to allow ads on jerseys

20. DearyLeary says:

If it took Garon until he was 32 to have his breakout season, what makes you think we should have kept him around so long?

21. krob1000 says:

so….that goalie we let go for nothing is now 2nd in the league in save percentage and leading the league in goals against average……way to go Habs management….how could you do this? how could you let Mathieu Garon go???? first Vokoun and now Garon? Michael Leighton, the list goes on….. we got nothing for these guys.  I am content with the Halak deal since we got a very promising looking young center and made cap space going forward…but Mathieu Garon!…c’mon guys give your heads a shake!!  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/

22. Mike D says:

1)  I would trade Spacek and put Picard in his place.  That would free up quite a bit of cap space to acquire a solid top 6 winger.  If he can’t start producing or at least playing solid offensively, I would happily trade Gomez for a solid 2nd line center with a cap hit in the 3mil range (Saku!) and use the rest of the $ for a solid winger, OR, an excellent center with a similar cap hit (ie Brad Richards).  Since none of that is very likely, trade OB and maybe package in a depth forward like Boyd for a serviceable prospect or draft pick.

2)  Any combo that gets our top guns going would be awesome.  I’d keep the PHD line together if they can continue being productive.  I’d love to reunite the AK/Pleks/Cammy line but only if GG are able to get it going.

3)  If he can play solid and get us wins while allowing Carey to rest, somewhere around 20.  I want Caery nice and fresh come playoff time.  Plus it gives Auld a decent amount of playing time to keep him satisfied and hopefully we can keep him on as a backup at his current salary.  He and Carey also seem to have a good relationship which I think is important for stability.  It also avoids any goaltending controversies, or having a different backup coming in every year or two and hoping he and Carey mesh well.

- Honestly yours