At last, the Bruins

The Canadiens’ hottest rivalry resumes tonight, after Boston scored FIVE in the third period to beat the Penguins.

Homecoming for Hal Gill

• Arpon Basu on Lars Eller

• La Presse’s look at tonight’s game

• Pierre Durocher on the struggling forwards

The team photo video

• An interesting piece on Snake70, the Commenter who tipped Mathias Brunet off to Jeff Skinner

• Yvon Pedneault on the NHL in Quebec City

Remembrance Day piece from EOTP

Jaro yanked, Oshie injured

Leafs’ losing streak hits seven. Damien Cox weighs in

Michael Farber loves the shootout. Kovy II, not so much

1. Bugs says:

Guerin doesn’t play 7th d.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

2. Danno says:

Habs — clean the Bruins clock tonight.

H I/O — please adjust your clock to Daylight Saving Time.

Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri — turn the clock back to a time when you scored lots and lots of goals.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. ZepFan2 says:

I still feel Saku should have retired here.

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

4. JIMVINNY says:

I’d like to see them give Guerin a try before making a trade.

5. JIMVINNY says:

Do I need to?  He gave up four goals.  I don’t need to see every goal to know that there’s no way they were all his fault.

6. Julie H says:

I’m going to that game too JUST to see Koivu. Where are you sitting?

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

7. ctony says:

5’10” 172lb.  “Limited talent.  Good energy” according to Hockey’s Futures.  24 goals, 38 assists in 58 games last season.

But his numbers are not the point. We shed $941k of cap space for guy who didn’t play.  That gives us room to add a player, make a trade, or start negotiations with Markov.

8. samTHEman says:

O’Byrne traded for Avs forward Michael Bournival

9. Chuck says:

Did you net read it? I thought that it would have been obvoius.  😉

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

10. ctony says:

$650k for Boyd and $941k for OB, means $1.6 million in new cap space.  Hopefully that’s enough to make a trade that nets us a top 6 winger.

Notice, I could have said that would have been almost enough to sign Halak and get us a better return on that trade, but I didn’t want to open up that can of worms.

11. SLONCOLD says:

i can’t wait to here about how young he is, how much potential he has and how he’s going to be to be a top6 player…

12. Mark C says:

For what it’s worth, his stat was right last season anyway, Halak gave up 4 or more goals in 28% of his games while Price did it in 13%.

13. TripleX says:

Good for O’Byrne.  Watch him become a 20 minute per game guy in Colorado.  I still think he is a regular top six Dman.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

14. ctony says:

Did you notice the way AHL calls up played last season?  They played aggressively and with great energy for 3-4 games before settling back into lethargic confusion and passive play.  Ultimately they were sent back down.  I attribute it to the different approaches employed by Boucher and Martin.

Subban played an up tempo style under Boucher last season.  We saw the results in the playoffs and the beginning of this season. Martin is slowly re-programming him to take fewer chances and slow down.  Not good.

15. Jbird says:

Why not eh? So that means they get 1.4 million in cap space – from my very remedial understanding of it.

16. matraque says:

Good move.  O’Byrne was not playing anyways.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

17. RGM says:

For some guy – Michael Bournival.

18. Bugs says:

O’B traded.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

19. Mike D says:

Phew.  I suspected it was a joke, but the thought of it pissed me off so much that I needed to be reassured.

– Honestly yours

20. samTHEman says:

Why is it that rookies are not allowed to make mistakes but we put up with them when it’s veterans that make them?

ON THE CONTRARY, the mesh should be shorter with veterans NOT ROOKIES! Martin’s got it all upside down.

Something needs to be done. Eller cannot continue to play only 4-5 minutes a game. Place him on one of the top 2 lines or send him down to Hamilton. With the PhD being one of our most solid lines, there is no room for Eller on the 3rd. I say place Eller on the wing with AK-Plek, or as 2nd line center in between Cammi and Pouliot. If not, then he’s forced to be delegated to the 4th line, which is NOT a solution. If that’s the case, let him play in Hamilton FFS.

I can’t believe the Eller situation has taken this long to be addressed. When will PG or Martin do something? How long will Eller be playing 4 minutes a game doing absolutely NOTHING before he’s sent down or given more ice time?

21. SLONCOLD says:

did you watch the game by chance?

22. ctony says:

Saint Patrick has been pulled (and left in too long on bad nights), Brodeur has been pulled.  Dryden was pulled.  Everyone has an off night.  I bet the Blues are still pretty happy with the guy.

23. notbigbird says:

Had me going there for a bit. lol

24. Jbird says:

A person in another time Zone? An American?  Lets not go throwing around the douche label so freely.  Its 7:57 AM!

25. likehoy says:

sorry I meant that parting comment to be taken as a tongue-in-cheek one…given the previous “pattern” of goalie trades…didn’t come off well I guess.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

26. longtimehabsfan says:

BTW, HIO has yet to adjust their clock.

27. longtimehabsfan says:

It’s called:  “Bettman’s desperation to raise revenue for the failing franchises he refuses to move to better hockey markets”

28. JIMVINNY says:

Personally, I don’t think the Blues or the Halak fans have anything to worry about.  He;s always had bad games like this every once in a while.  Even with how well he played last year, he still had more 4+ goals against games than Price did.  He always bounces back, though.

29. Storm Man says:

Halak got the sheep herder’s hook last night. I have to wonder if Dan O’Neill look’s on here to see how many sheep Halak has in his flock.

30. nick says:

Regarding Halak for Eller + Schultz = Useless

Schutlz isn’t even in the NHL yet…

Eller is hardly playing, but from what we’ve seen so far the kid has alot of potential.

Until these kids are playing full seasons with the CH, or know for sure they won’t be, it’s way too early to make the call that trading Halak away was useless. Check back in 2-3 seasons.

31. Mike D says:

I miss Saku too man.  I’m actually driving to Montreal from London, ON for the Jan. 22nd game to see his return.  I’ll be wearing a Habs Saku jersey and will most likely bring a “Welcome Home Saku” sign with me (or something to that effect).

– Honestly yours

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’m telling you man, JM will ruin the development of Subban, Eller & any young player if he continues to coach this team. He’s overrated and his record as head coach is misleading. Look at thw way Subban was playing earlier in the year & the way he’s been playing the last 4-5 games. Is management that blind to see that?

33. shiram says:

Again, sarcastic jokes and internet not mixing…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

34. Mike D says:

Chuck, is this for real?????  Please tell me it’s a joke.

– Honestly yours

35. Say Ash says:

Ah, that 2009 freefall. Those were good times. It really seemed like Carbo was calling out bingo numbers. If I recall correctly, near the end, Carbo had BGL on the power play.

36. likehoy says:

we have a long list of useless goalie trades

Garon for Bonk + Huet ===> bonk UFA ==> Huet flipped for a 2nd rounder, 2nd rounder for Robert Lang ==> lang UFA

Theodore for Aebischer ===> Aebischer UFA + extra hair product

Roy for Rucinsky + kovalenko + thibault ==> rucisnky for audette to UFA, kovalenko for scott thornton for Juha Lind (who?), thibault for hackett to UFA.

Halak for Eller + schultz ===> TBD but for sure it’ll be something on the useless side.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

37. LA Loyalist says:

See my post above re Saku (6 points in 4 games)

I want to tell you one quick thing – in the Sharks game Marleau knocked him down on a faceoff and won the draw in the Ducks defensive zone.

A couple of plays later they faced off in the Sharks zone. Saku beat Marleau cleanly and got it back to Vishnovsky who blew by Nittimaki for the winning goal. On the road.

Bob Gainey’s worst move (not that there isn’t a lot of competition) was changing Saku for Nomez. Unforgivable. If we had Saku and no Nomez we could afford a big winger.

And for everything else, there’s Mastercard(tm)

38. Mike D says:

Thank you, Julie.  I was a long-time reader and decided it was time to finally start posting myself.  At the very least I’m another body on the non-troll side of things 🙂

– Honestly yours

39. DearyLeary says:

I guess I should have been tipped off when you brought up Leighton.

40. LA Loyalist says:

1. CinePlex

2. No

3. Markov and/or Subban, possibly Price.

4. Yes, a nobody for a nobody and there will be much virtual blood spilled on HIO. I can guaranty you that whomsoever is the lucky acquisition will be small and soft.

5. Man you are dreaming in technicolor as they used to say!

BONUS: if we still had 2 #1 goalies, do you think Pittsburgh would be interested after last night?

41. Chuck says:

Well, at least JM allowed O’Byrne to participate in the team photo.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

42. shiram says:

Well, not every team…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t you guys remember Carbo the Jugglier? He makes Martin look like an amateur.

Here’s a bad but accurate analogy. Line juggling is like the prevent defense in football – bad coaches always do it and it works only rarely but they keep on doing it. Why?

“Sharing is caring.”

44. avatar_58 says:

I would be very annoyed. The NHL jersey is one of the few sports jerseys that remains boo-tiful

45. Chuck says:

No… it’s the 11th hour of the 11th day on the 11th month. It says nothing about the 11th minute.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

46. LA Loyalist says:

FYI – Koivu scored the only goal in Ducks 1-0 win over Islanders last night, set up the winning goal against the Sharks the night before and has 6 points in the last 4 games. Ducks have won 5 in a row.

And then there’s Nomez…

47. Natrous says:

Agreed, however if you’re a 100-million dollar novelist, does that mean you should be able to write a 100-million dollar poem?

I’m a goalie by trade when it comes to hockey, but when I’ve played as a forward and get the rare opportunity for a breakaway, I have found that my brain can cramp up in thinking of all the options I have while figuring out what move to make.. maybe he’s human after all? 😛

48. JustSomeguy says:

In his haste to turn around the Leafs, Burke seems to have lost his sense of judgement. Calling an undrafted free agent out of the NCAA a first line centre doesn’t make him so. Kessel for what looks like 2 lottery choices? Maybe he didn’t forsee the Leafs tanking last year and looking for a repeat this year … but still. It looks like Boston is going to be set up to be a capital C Contender in the coming years, and that trade looks to be no small part of it. Things are grim in Toronto, and Burke’s spinning of the Tragedy on Ice in Toronto as a problem with the Leafs’ culture looks increasingly like an attempt to cover up some of his own poor calls.

And, to go off on a tangent, I have no schadenfreude over Halak getting shelled. Both Halak and Price are immensely talented goalies. Trying to choose between them … I can’t. I like them both, albeit for different reasons. Halak is about hard work and focus. Price is about size talent. What I would’ve loved is for an evil genius to create THE GOAL-E COMBINATOR!!! that’d combine Halak’s best traits with Price’s. That’d be one monster goalie to contend with, along the lines of one of the Gazette’s writers saying that it’d be a beautiful thing to combine Gionta’s hard work, determination, and talent with AK’s body.

Here’s hoping tonight’s game’s a good one!

49. nick says:

Lots of laughs this morning!

Kovy’s 100 million dollar shot… I suddenly feel a little better about Gomez oddly.

St. Louis loses 8-1… As much as I’d like to see Halak do well – just not as well as Price…  It’ll be nice to get a little break from the St. Louis fans around here for a day or two.

Oh – and I still don’t really understand what JM is doing with the young guns… Eller, OByrne, etc… Or why after such a successful start to the season he feels the need to split up AK and Plekanec who are arguably the best pairing on the team…

50. shiram says:

That certainly is no excuse for Mister 100 million to show such a pathetic attempt at a shoutout!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

51. Natrous says:

Isn’t it 11:11am that we’re meant to have a moment of silence? Just in case, I’ll plan for 11:00am and 11:11am, given it’s the absolute least I could do for the ultimate sacrifice made by those who serve on our behalf.

52. Julie H says:

Oh hellllllllll no.

53. Natrous says:

This isn’t meant to come across as some xenophopic comment, but I don’t think Russian hockey players practice the shootout very much and many don’t feel comfortable with it in general. There are several Russian players who excel at it nonetheless, however more often than not I find they appear hesitant, like a lion being fed a dead animal – there’s no instinct in killing something that’s already dead.

I’m willing to bet that if the opposing team was allowed a player to start at the rear blueline when KovyII touches the puck, that the puck goes to the back of the net like it would during regulation.

54. Julie H says:

Good answers. Welcome to the site by the way 🙂

55. krob1000 says:

I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate well through type….my bad….

56. Chuck says:

You just knew that this would eventually happen:

NHL to allow ads on jerseys

57. DearyLeary says:

If it took Garon until he was 32 to have his breakout season, what makes you think we should have kept him around so long?

58. krob1000 says:

so….that goalie we let go for nothing is now 2nd in the league in save percentage and leading the league in goals against average……way to go Habs management….how could you do this? how could you let Mathieu Garon go???? first Vokoun and now Garon? Michael Leighton, the list goes on….. we got nothing for these guys.  I am content with the Halak deal since we got a very promising looking young center and made cap space going forward…but Mathieu Garon!…c’mon guys give your heads a shake!!

59. Mike D says:

1)  I would trade Spacek and put Picard in his place.  That would free up quite a bit of cap space to acquire a solid top 6 winger.  If he can’t start producing or at least playing solid offensively, I would happily trade Gomez for a solid 2nd line center with a cap hit in the 3mil range (Saku!) and use the rest of the $ for a solid winger, OR, an excellent center with a similar cap hit (ie Brad Richards).  Since none of that is very likely, trade OB and maybe package in a depth forward like Boyd for a serviceable prospect or draft pick.

2)  Any combo that gets our top guns going would be awesome.  I’d keep the PHD line together if they can continue being productive.  I’d love to reunite the AK/Pleks/Cammy line but only if GG are able to get it going.

3)  If he can play solid and get us wins while allowing Carey to rest, somewhere around 20.  I want Caery nice and fresh come playoff time.  Plus it gives Auld a decent amount of playing time to keep him satisfied and hopefully we can keep him on as a backup at his current salary.  He and Carey also seem to have a good relationship which I think is important for stability.  It also avoids any goaltending controversies, or having a different backup coming in every year or two and hoping he and Carey mesh well.

– Honestly yours

60. shiram says:

That was so funny, when i saw it last night, i burst out laughing, for all the goal scoring sniper he may be, that was just like karmic justice or something, definately an Epic Fail there KovyII

Jm said Eller would be on the pk, i dont know about that, but im not sure about PP either… just give him more minutes!

Halak, well bad nights happen to everyone, let’s wait and see if he bounces back.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

61. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Probably Tony242.

He just got Bell Fibe Internet service from his new home under the Champlain bridge.

62. Fansincebirth says:

Hopefully…no one.

A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life, wrote a blank checkpayable to Canada for an amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honour, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer remember that fact…….
    Thank a Veteran. Support our Troops

63. Mattyleg says:

Couple o’ points:

– Kovy? Harharhar! That hurts. Especially given recent form.

– Eller? Put ‘im on the PP! Get Gomer out.

– Halak? Ouch. Don’t think the trolls will be out today, do you?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. Mike D says:

Pleks or Cammy are the best bets.

It’ll be us or Boston.  I don’t think Ottawa has what it takes but have the potential to be stiff competition.  Buff and the Laffs = epic fail

Markov.  Possibly Carey.

God, I hope so.

– Honestly yours

65. kempie says:

At least she sleeps through the night you lucky dog.

66. Chuck says:

Ok, so who’s going to be the douche that’s on here posting something useless between 11:00 and 11:02am?

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

67. Julie H says:

1. I have two answers. The first one (being based on last years stats and (hopefully) consistency through the season) would have to be Cammalleri. If we’re talking guesses not based on facts, I would pick/hope it would be Plecks or Cammi. Plecks creates so many chances and (so far this year) is constantly shooting on the net.

2. Based on the current standings and just general ability to play thus far…I’d say there could be a pretty even deadlock for our division. Ottawa is strong but not always consistent, Boston is tough but they aren’t always scoring a lot of goals and then you have us who are also only semi consistent and seem to have sleepy forwards. Honestly I think we could pull it off if we keep matching Ottawa for wins and/or trade losses with them.

3. Again this is just personal preference: Cammi or Plecks. But with the NHL changing the way the All Star Teams are chosen, it will be interesting to see if the captains see the same positive things that we see in our players.

4. If history has taught us anything with the Canadiens, it’s that the trade deadline day isn’t always our friend. He might try to free up a spec of cap space by trading out one of our UFA’s for a small, inexpensive forward, or he might twidle his thumbs and hope that a good offer comes up before he has to make up his mind.

5. Bahaha. Once he stops being scared of shooting his scoring groove might come back.

And just because that was so much fun, I have three questions for you:

1. Who would you trade out/send to the minors right now if you could and why?

2. What would your idea lines be? (I’m serious, who would you put where and why do you think it would work)

3. How many games do you think JM will allow Auld to play this season?

68. Willy the bum says:

….Kovalchuk.  Made my day.

69. HFX-HabFan says:

1- Cammy, I still maintain he’ll finish with 37.

2- No, we’ll fall a few points short of Boston.

3- Markov for sure, Price could be a dark horse if Brodeur and Miller are out for an extended period of time.

4- Yes, but it’s hard to say what exactly he’ll do.

5- Yes, he’ll finish in the mid-teens.

70. W35T5ID3 says:

JM is the mad scientist with his concoctions and experiments of line combo’s.

71. Fansincebirth says:

Shake hands with a Veteran today and say thank you Timo, it’ll make you feel wonderful inside :o)

72. W35T5ID3 says:

What else is new.

73. JF says:

So far, the only result of Jacques Martin’s line-juggling is that neither of our top lines can score.  I think he should stop the experimenting and put together some consistent lines.  Reunite the Plekanec line for a start. None of those players have scored since the line was broken up.  The only other experiment I would try is to put Halpern with Gionta and Pouliot, demoting Gomez to the third line.

74. W35T5ID3 says:

Good Morning:

5 questions for ya’ll….

—-Who will finish the season with most goals for the habs?

—-Will we win the Northeast?

—-Will we have an all star participant?If so , who?

—-Will PG make move before trade deadline day?

—-Will Gomez score at least 10 goals this season??lol..

……………Anywhoooo,pce out.

What is that with kids? It’s a day off and she is up at 5:30 am. Sigh. Timo will be extra grumpy today.