At last, the Bruins

The Canadiens’ hottest rivalry resumes tonight, after Boston scored FIVE in the third period to beat the Penguins.

Homecoming for Hal Gill

• Arpon Basu on Lars Eller

• La Presse’s look at tonight’s game

• Pierre Durocher on the struggling forwards

The team photo video

• An interesting piece on Snake70, the Commenter who tipped Mathias Brunet off to Jeff Skinner

• Yvon Pedneault on the NHL in Quebec City

Remembrance Day piece from EOTP

Jaro yanked, Oshie injured

Leafs’ losing streak hits seven. Damien Cox weighs in

Michael Farber loves the shootout. Kovy II, not so much

i6NuT41Wu7A

1. Mike D says:

LOL, right from the TSN website:

“Ryan O’Byrne was pointless in three games with the Canadiens this season.”

HAHAHA – that about sums it up.  Gotta love the double-entendre!  Wonder if they wrote it that way on purpose?

Sorry OB, nothing personal but that was hilarious.  All kidding aside, good luck in Colorado and I hope they give you ample playing time.

2. shiram says:

That was so funny, when i saw it last night, i burst out laughing, for all the goal scoring sniper he may be, that was just like karmic justice or something, definately an Epic Fail there KovyII

Jm said Eller would be on the pk, i dont know about that, but im not sure about PP either… just give him more minutes!

Halak, well bad nights happen to everyone, let’s wait and see if he bounces back.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

3. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Probably Tony242.

He just got Bell Fibe Internet service from his new home under the Champlain bridge.

4. Fansincebirth says:

Hopefully…no one.

A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life, wrote a blank checkpayable to Canada for an amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honour, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer remember that fact…….
    Thank a Veteran. Support our Troops

5. Mattyleg says:

Couple o’ points:

- Kovy? Harharhar! That hurts. Especially given recent form.

- Eller? Put ‘im on the PP! Get Gomer out.

- Halak? Ouch. Don’t think the trolls will be out today, do you?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. Mike D says:

Pleks or Cammy are the best bets.

It’ll be us or Boston.  I don’t think Ottawa has what it takes but have the potential to be stiff competition.  Buff and the Laffs = epic fail

Markov.  Possibly Carey.

God, I hope so.

7. kempie says:

At least she sleeps through the night you lucky dog.

8. Chuck says:

Ok, so who’s going to be the douche that’s on here posting something useless between 11:00 and 11:02am?

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

9. Julie H says:

1. I have two answers. The first one (being based on last years stats and (hopefully) consistency through the season) would have to be Cammalleri. If we’re talking guesses not based on facts, I would pick/hope it would be Plecks or Cammi. Plecks creates so many chances and (so far this year) is constantly shooting on the net.

2. Based on the current standings and just general ability to play thus far…I’d say there could be a pretty even deadlock for our division. Ottawa is strong but not always consistent, Boston is tough but they aren’t always scoring a lot of goals and then you have us who are also only semi consistent and seem to have sleepy forwards. Honestly I think we could pull it off if we keep matching Ottawa for wins and/or trade losses with them.

3. Again this is just personal preference: Cammi or Plecks. But with the NHL changing the way the All Star Teams are chosen, it will be interesting to see if the captains see the same positive things that we see in our players.

4. If history has taught us anything with the Canadiens, it’s that the trade deadline day isn’t always our friend. He might try to free up a spec of cap space by trading out one of our UFA’s for a small, inexpensive forward, or he might twidle his thumbs and hope that a good offer comes up before he has to make up his mind.

5. Bahaha. Once he stops being scared of shooting his scoring groove might come back.

And just because that was so much fun, I have three questions for you:

1. Who would you trade out/send to the minors right now if you could and why?

2. What would your idea lines be? (I’m serious, who would you put where and why do you think it would work)

3. How many games do you think JM will allow Auld to play this season?

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

10. Willy the bum says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA HA

….Kovalchuk.  Made my day.

11. HFX-HabFan says:

1- Cammy, I still maintain he’ll finish with 37.

2- No, we’ll fall a few points short of Boston.

3- Markov for sure, Price could be a dark horse if Brodeur and Miller are out for an extended period of time.

4- Yes, but it’s hard to say what exactly he’ll do.

5- Yes, he’ll finish in the mid-teens.

12. W35T5ID3 says:

JM is the mad scientist with his concoctions and experiments of line combo’s.

13. Fansincebirth says:

Shake hands with a Veteran today and say thank you Timo, it’ll make you feel wonderful inside :o)

14. Mike D says:

RE: The OB trade

Hopefully this Bournival kid develops into something, but I doubt we got much considering we didn’t give much.  Then again, he played both games for Team Q against the Russians in the Super Series so maybe he’s got some real potential.  The Avs still owe us for the Roy trade, and likely the Theodore trade too.  By that same token, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if OB turns into a decent Dman (a bit surprised for sure, but not shocked).  I’m just glad we traded him to the West.  The last thing our small forwards need is to play a disgruntled Rhino 4 or more times a season.

Funny, as I was posting this morning about the possibility of trading OB, the first team that came to my mind was Colorado because of they’re cap space, apparent need for a defenseman, and the recent run of injuries that’s plagued their team.

15. W35T5ID3 says:

What else is new.

16. JF says:

So far, the only result of Jacques Martin’s line-juggling is that neither of our top lines can score.  I think he should stop the experimenting and put together some consistent lines.  Reunite the Plekanec line for a start. None of those players have scored since the line was broken up.  The only other experiment I would try is to put Halpern with Gionta and Pouliot, demoting Gomez to the third line.

17. W35T5ID3 says:

Good Morning:

5 questions for ya’ll….

—-Who will finish the season with most goals for the habs?

—-Will we win the Northeast?

—-Will we have an all star participant?If so , who?

—-Will PG make move before trade deadline day?

—-Will Gomez score at least 10 goals this season??lol..

…..

……………Anywhoooo,pce out.

What is that with kids? It’s a day off and she is up at 5:30 am. Sigh. Timo will be extra grumpy today.

19. Maksimir says:

I agree… I bet he will do well in Colorado…

20. Chuck says:

I know… a lot of effort for a thinly-veiled “Tim Thomas is fat” joke, but with the Habs playing the Bruins tonight I couldn’t resist.  :)

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

21. SLONCOLD says:

well if you’re going to make comments about a performance of a player you should watch the game. scoring chances aren’t indicated in the shot totals neither are the quality of shots. atleast watch the high lights…

22. ctony says:

I didn’t measure and weigh him personally, just going off the HF report.  I’ve read everything up to 6’2 210lbs.  Someone posted that OB was 6’7″ …

23. Julie H says:

You’re sitting by yourself?! That’s just depressing lol. As a Bell Centre frequenter I have to tell you that the Molson Section happens to be the atmosphere of our home games. And I don’t blame them for not wanting to ante up: Red seats are a wee bit pricey. I’ll be in the Molson Section myself. Maybe I’ll see you there :)

24. Mike D says:

Section 122. Red B Corners is what it’s called I think (or something like that). I’m going with a few people but they didn’t want to ante up for good seats so they’ll be in the Molson Ex Zone and I’ll be sitting by myself.

– Honestly yours

25. Mike D says:

LOL – not til now.  That’s hilarious though!  “I’ve been pounding those back since August…”  hahahahaha

I initially just read the responses from other posters and judged it’s truth by their reactions.  My bad.

26. Mike D says:

Damn right!

27. Bugs says:

See what happens when you deal straight dope, Charlie? Bound to happen; we can testify.

Keep up the good fight, mate.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

28. ZepFan2 says:

Try again.

He’s 6’1″, 190 lbs.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

29. Bugs says:

1.4mil was his salary; 940k is the cap relief.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

30. Bugs says:

Guerin doesn’t play 7th d.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

31. Danno says:

Habs — clean the Bruins clock tonight.

H I/O — please adjust your clock to Daylight Saving Time.

Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri — turn the clock back to a time when you scored lots and lots of goals.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

32. ZepFan2 says:

I still feel Saku should have retired here.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

33. JIMVINNY says:

I’d like to see them give Guerin a try before making a trade.

34. JIMVINNY says:

Do I need to?  He gave up four goals.  I don’t need to see every goal to know that there’s no way they were all his fault.

35. Julie H says:

I’m going to that game too JUST to see Koivu. Where are you sitting?

36. ctony says:

5’10” 172lb.  “Limited talent.  Good energy” according to Hockey’s Futures.  24 goals, 38 assists in 58 games last season.

But his numbers are not the point. We shed $941k of cap space for guy who didn’t play.  That gives us room to add a player, make a trade, or start negotiations with Markov.

37. Julie H says:

You make an excellent point. Especially that last part. Although the next time you plan on being in town, you might want to consider Desjardins seats. Free food all game is a pretty hard deal to beat.

38. samTHEman says:

O’Byrne traded for Avs forward Michael Bournival

39. Chuck says:

Did you net read it? I thought that it would have been obvoius.  ;)

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

40. ctony says:

Excellent!!!

$650k for Boyd and $941k for OB, means $1.6 million in new cap space.  Hopefully that’s enough to make a trade that nets us a top 6 winger.

Notice, I could have said that would have been almost enough to sign Halak and get us a better return on that trade, but I didn’t want to open up that can of worms.

41. SLONCOLD says:

i can’t wait to here about how young he is, how much potential he has and how he’s going to be to be a top6 player…

42. Mark C says:

For what it’s worth, his stat was right last season anyway, Halak gave up 4 or more goals in 28% of his games while Price did it in 13%.

43. TripleX says:

Good for O’Byrne.  Watch him become a 20 minute per game guy in Colorado.  I still think he is a regular top six Dman.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

44. ctony says:

Did you notice the way AHL calls up played last season?  They played aggressively and with great energy for 3-4 games before settling back into lethargic confusion and passive play.  Ultimately they were sent back down.  I attribute it to the different approaches employed by Boucher and Martin.

Subban played an up tempo style under Boucher last season.  We saw the results in the playoffs and the beginning of this season. Martin is slowly re-programming him to take fewer chances and slow down.  Not good.

45. Jbird says:

Why not eh? So that means they get 1.4 million in cap space – from my very remedial understanding of it.

46. matraque says:

Good move.  O’Byrne was not playing anyways.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

47. RGM says:

For some guy – Michael Bournival.

48. Bugs says:

O’B traded.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

49. Mike D says:

Phew.  I suspected it was a joke, but the thought of it pissed me off so much that I needed to be reassured.

50. samTHEman says:

Why is it that rookies are not allowed to make mistakes but we put up with them when it’s veterans that make them?

ON THE CONTRARY, the mesh should be shorter with veterans NOT ROOKIES! Martin’s got it all upside down.

Something needs to be done. Eller cannot continue to play only 4-5 minutes a game. Place him on one of the top 2 lines or send him down to Hamilton. With the PhD being one of our most solid lines, there is no room for Eller on the 3rd. I say place Eller on the wing with AK-Plek, or as 2nd line center in between Cammi and Pouliot. If not, then he’s forced to be delegated to the 4th line, which is NOT a solution. If that’s the case, let him play in Hamilton FFS.

I can’t believe the Eller situation has taken this long to be addressed. When will PG or Martin do something? How long will Eller be playing 4 minutes a game doing absolutely NOTHING before he’s sent down or given more ice time?

51. SLONCOLD says:

did you watch the game by chance?

52. mrstewart61 says:

Gomez for Kovalchuk.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

53. ctony says:

Saint Patrick has been pulled (and left in too long on bad nights), Brodeur has been pulled.  Dryden was pulled.  Everyone has an off night.  I bet the Blues are still pretty happy with the guy.

54. notbigbird says:

Had me going there for a bit. lol

55. Jbird says:

A person in another time Zone? An American?  Lets not go throwing around the douche label so freely.  Its 7:57 AM!

56. likehoy says:

sorry I meant that parting comment to be taken as a tongue-in-cheek one…given the previous “pattern” of goalie trades…didn’t come off well I guess.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

57. longtimehabsfan says:

BTW, HIO has yet to adjust their clock.

58. longtimehabsfan says:

It’s called:  “Bettman’s desperation to raise revenue for the failing franchises he refuses to move to better hockey markets”

59. JIMVINNY says:

Personally, I don’t think the Blues or the Halak fans have anything to worry about.  He;s always had bad games like this every once in a while.  Even with how well he played last year, he still had more 4+ goals against games than Price did.  He always bounces back, though.

60. Storm Man says:

Halak got the sheep herder’s hook last night. I have to wonder if Dan O’Neill look’s on here to see how many sheep Halak has in his flock.

61. Cam says:

My apologies if this post appears twice (or more) on this fine forum. Are Leafs jokes allowed here? If so …

These are call complisults (half compliment and half insult):

To Leaf fans: Sure your team is sucking, but Boston would only get the eighth pick in the draft as of now.

To Leaf fans: Sure Phil Kessel hasn’t scored in seven games but at least Tyler Seguin isn’t lighting it up either.

62. Mike D says:

I’m going to the game with my cousins who live in Montreal and they go to a few games every year so I don’t think it was as special an occasion for them as it was for me.  They also have told me the Molson Ex Zone was the best place to watch the games in terms of having the best fans.

I just wanted to have better seats for Saku’s return and it is a special occasion for me.  Just to see any game there is awesome when you live as far away as I do.  I haven’t been to one in that arena since the first year it opened.  Plus what’s the point in spending $150 or so on gas for the trip, just to get $29 seats, you know?

63. nick says:

Regarding Halak for Eller + Schultz = Useless

Schutlz isn’t even in the NHL yet…

Eller is hardly playing, but from what we’ve seen so far the kid has alot of potential.

Until these kids are playing full seasons with the CH, or know for sure they won’t be, it’s way too early to make the call that trading Halak away was useless. Check back in 2-3 seasons.

64. Mike D says:

I miss Saku too man.  I’m actually driving to Montreal from London, ON for the Jan. 22nd game to see his return.  I’ll be wearing a Habs Saku jersey and will most likely bring a “Welcome Home Saku” sign with me (or something to that effect).

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’m telling you man, JM will ruin the development of Subban, Eller & any young player if he continues to coach this team. He’s overrated and his record as head coach is misleading. Look at thw way Subban was playing earlier in the year & the way he’s been playing the last 4-5 games. Is management that blind to see that?

66. shiram says:

Again, sarcastic jokes and internet not mixing…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

67. Mike D says:

Chuck, is this for real?????  Please tell me it’s a joke.

68. Say Ash says:

Ah, that 2009 freefall. Those were good times. It really seemed like Carbo was calling out bingo numbers. If I recall correctly, near the end, Carbo had BGL on the power play.

69. likehoy says:

we have a long list of useless goalie trades

Garon for Bonk + Huet ===> bonk UFA ==> Huet flipped for a 2nd rounder, 2nd rounder for Robert Lang ==> lang UFA

Theodore for Aebischer ===> Aebischer UFA + extra hair product

Roy for Rucinsky + kovalenko + thibault ==> rucisnky for audette to UFA, kovalenko for scott thornton for Juha Lind (who?), thibault for hackett to UFA.

Halak for Eller + schultz ===> TBD but for sure it’ll be something on the useless side.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

70. LA Loyalist says:

See my post above re Saku (6 points in 4 games)

I want to tell you one quick thing – in the Sharks game Marleau knocked him down on a faceoff and won the draw in the Ducks defensive zone.

A couple of plays later they faced off in the Sharks zone. Saku beat Marleau cleanly and got it back to Vishnovsky who blew by Nittimaki for the winning goal. On the road.

Bob Gainey’s worst move (not that there isn’t a lot of competition) was changing Saku for Nomez. Unforgivable. If we had Saku and no Nomez we could afford a big winger.

And for everything else, there’s Mastercard(tm)

71. rocketsglare says:

With Boston having played last night and expending so much energy in their come from behind win, the

Habs must jump on this team early and often by using their speed to attack the slower and likely weary

Bruin D. Make their D play 60 minutes. The Habs must be careful not to over commit, because Boston is

capable of using their speed to attack our D. But, I can’t see the Bruins scoring 7 goals, much less 5 in 1

period against a confident and hot Carey Price.

This is a very winnable game for the Habs and should be a fun game to watch.

72. Mike D says:

Thank you, Julie.  I was a long-time reader and decided it was time to finally start posting myself.  At the very least I’m another body on the non-troll side of things :-)

73. DearyLeary says:

I guess I should have been tipped off when you brought up Leighton.

74. LA Loyalist says:

1. CinePlex

2. No

3. Markov and/or Subban, possibly Price.

4. Yes, a nobody for a nobody and there will be much virtual blood spilled on HIO. I can guaranty you that whomsoever is the lucky acquisition will be small and soft.

5. Man you are dreaming in technicolor as they used to say!

BONUS: if we still had 2 #1 goalies, do you think Pittsburgh would be interested after last night?

75. ctony says:

I don’t think OB is worth much to anyone and unless we give him away we will get little to nothing back for him.  Still, it better to free up our cap space even by demoting or releasing him then having him wait it out in the press box or play 6 minutes when he plays.

I am not optimistic about trading AK either.  A team would have to pay him more than $3.25m to retain his restricted free agent rights.  It would have to be a team with decent amount of cap space with a GM willing to take a chance on a player that has talent but hasn’t had a 30 goal season despite first line linemates, good minutes and ample power play time.  I think we could get a second round pick a mid-level prospect at the deadline if SK is having a decent season.

76. Mike D says:

Yeah, OB definitely won’t fetch us much in a trade, but I’d rather get a late round pick than just lose him for nothing at the end of the season or have him claimed off waivers.  After all, Markov was a 6th round pick and Halak was a 9th rounder.  Plus we could use the cap space if nothing else.  There obviously wouldn’t be a line-up of teams vying for his services, but the argument could be made that a relatively young and cheap Dman (salary is 1.4mil, but cap hit is only approx. 900K) with his physical attributes could be attractive to teams with cap space who need/want another Dman or even teams who are close to the cap that want to lighten their cap load by replacing one of their more expensive 6th/7th Dmen….especially knowing they wouldn’t have to give up much to get him.  The argument could also be made (whether right or wrong) that he wasn’t given a proper chance to develop in our system and other teams may think they can make something more out of him than we could.  With this being the last year of his contract, the experiment doesn’t require a lot of commitment and makes it even more attractive for those teams.  I think we should put him in the lineup once we play some easier opponents as either a last-chance-to-keep-your-spot move, or a play-well-and-increase-your-trade-value move.

Regarding AK, I doubt we would trade him at the deadline as I expect we will be a playoff team…unless a GM decides to get very generous.  If we’re not a playoff team in Feb., then I guess it could happen.  I was more so thinking about the offseason.  I think he’s overpaid for his career production, but not by a lot looking at comparison players.  I wouldn’t trade him for a 2nd rounder unless it gave us the cap space to sign a winger who’s clearly better for around 4mil, assuming one’s available.

77. Mike D says:

I don’t think OB will be hard to trade at all.  I think the issue is that we won’t get much for him.  Having Picard as a 7th Dman means it isn’t necessary for any of the Bulldogs Dmen to be NHL ready unless we lose 2 Dmen to injury simultaneously.  Let’s be honest, are Weber and Carle (or even Henry) that much of a downgrade from OB?

AK46 is definitely an RFA after this year, not a UFA.  He’s only 25.

78. ctony says:

Let’s see, a OB has proven his worthlessness for four years.  He makes more than a million.  Yeah, a great market should exist for him.  I’m guessing a seventh round pick.

On the other hand, AK should fetch a second round pick.  No team wants to tie up $3-4 million in cap space on an involved “prospect’

79. Mike D says:

So you sarcastically agree with me on OB?  I’m not really sure what you were going for there considering part of what you wrote aligns with what I said, but was worded in a condescending manner.

80. ctony says:

I just saw this post, sorry I read it after posting my second blurb about OB and AK.  I think we are on the same page about them.  What do you think of re-signing Markov to a multi-year deal versus trading him before he becomes a UFA?

81. Mike D says:

Yeah I think we’re on the same page too.  I think we will re-sign Markov for somewhere around 6.5mil a season for a minumum of 4 years to a maximum of 7 or 8.  I’d prefer a 5-6 year deal for 6mil per, but he will get A LOT of interest from A LOT of teams and that will have an impact on what we can offer him if we want him to stay.  I definitely want to keep him.

I hope (and think) that Markov’s relationship with the team’s management is strong enough that if he didn’t want to re-sign with us beyond this season, he would make that clear either before the trade deadline, or before July 1st.  That said, all indications are that Markov is very happy here and would be happy to stay if we offer him a fair contract.

I love Markov and I think he’s the best person possible to teach P.K. about being an effective offensive Dman and PP quarterback.  Plus, Markov is still very good at this himself and at 31, still has some good years left to be a valuable contributor to us.  He’s no slouch defensively either!  There’s a lot of talk about our lousy PP this year and it all revolves around the lack of a strong point shot and how that was the constant over the past 5 years where we had an elite PP.  The truth is, Markov was the only real constant on the PP as everybody else has changed in that time.

As for his injuries, I think he’s just been a victim of bad luck of late (the sliced tendon thing was a freak accident), but historically I think he’s been pretty healthy.

On the other hand, having all that cap room would allow us to sign an elite forward or two very good ones, and having P.K. still leaves us with a young but decent offensive Dman who can likely quarterback our PP successfully, although not likely as good as Markov could (at least for now until P.K reaches his potential).

Either way it’s definitely a tough decision that PG is going to have to consider strongly.

82. Mike D says:

I agree with you on #1. Someone posted yesterday that Pics was told to get an apartment in Montreal and backed it up with a cyberpresse link (I believe).  As for OB, I wonder why the team doesn’t play him and try to increase his trade value?  If the guy can play even 5-10 games and show some physicality without making many mistakes I think we might get a slightly better return for him.  ATM, his trade value’s gotta be terribly low.  I also have no idea what’s in store for Boyd.

AK’s contract situation is a lot like him as a player…enigmatic.  Assuming a 50ish point season, 3mil/year on a 2 year deal sounds about right.  On the other hand, he could be traded for a pick or prospect and his salary allocated to a more consistent producer.  Depending on what Marky and Gorges (and possibly Gill) re-sign for, we might even be able to add to that and get a 4mil player.  How awesome would it have been to get Nathan Horton for 3 years at a 4mil cap hit?  In addition to being a good hockey player, at 6’2″ and 230lbs., he also addresses the size issue nicely.

83. Mike D says:

For Boone, Hickey, Stubbs, and Mio, I really enjoyed the Puckcast yesterday and I’m definitely looking forward to the next one.

84. W35T5ID3 says:

me too but it was too short….it needs 2 be twice as long.

85. Habsrule1 says:

How many times has Price been yanked this season again?

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

86. matraque says:

And Price fanboyz thinks they are better…. LOLZ

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

87. sholi2000.com says:

We have to be better fans than the trolls.

They Call Me Shane

88. sillywalk says:

I could certainly live with Price being yanked every 10 games or so if it meant there were 8 wins before that and some shutouts to boot.

89. Puck Bard says:

Nice round up there this AM, Boone. Liked Arpon and Durocher’s comments. And the Kraut Line post is wonderful.

90. Mike D says:

Couple things I’ve been wondering about lately and wanted to get everyone’s thoughts:

1)  What do you think PG’s plan is for OB, Boyd, Picard?

2)  Assuming AK46 finishes the season in the 50 point range, what do we do with him considering he’s an RFA after this season?  Re-sign him?  If so, for how much/long?  Trade him?  For who?

91. TomNickle says:

1. O’Byrne is done in Montreal in my opinion.  I think they game into this season with the thought of giving him an opportunity to show that he can eliminate mistakes from his game and be a physical force on the back end and he did neither.

I think Picard is in the team’s long term plans.  For now he’ll have to wait until an injury or trade gets him into the lineup but their reluctance to send him down tells me that they plan on having him in the lineup for an extended period at some point.

Boyd’s a funny one.  I think they put him on waivers thinking that somebody would claim him.  If you aren’t going to send him down to Hamilton there isn’t much point to doing it.

If AK has a 50 point season he will be re-signed because we don’t have anybody prepared to fill his role and he’ll be cheap.  Probably around the $3 million/annually range.  I think one of he and Pouliot will be kept and the other traded with their vacancy filled by Eller next season.

92. HabFanSince72 says:

1. OB will be hard to trade unless there is good evidence that Weber or Carle can play in the NHL this year.

2. AK46 will be a UFA next year.

93. The Cat says:

Habs are well positioned to win this one tonight.

94. JohnBellyful says:

As entertaining as shootouts can be, I’m not a fan of them. It reduces a team sport to a one-on-one skills competition, nailing to the bench the different strengths teams bring to play to win games: airtight penalty killing, potent power play, hardnosed defensive play, aggressive forechecking, line matching … you get the idea.

Why not borrow an idea from the CFL, where each team is given the opportunity to score starting from the opponent’s 35-yard-line?

If, after regulation, two teams in the NHL remain tied, why not give each a power play, with a coin toss to decide who will be given the choice of going first or second. Then go to a shootout, if necessary, if the score remains tied.
    You could make things really interesting, and increase the chances of breaking the tie, by making it a 5-on-3 power play.

I suggest doing away with the OT simply because the teams already played 60 minutes at even strength without resolving anything.

95. TomNickle says:

The NHL will remain a joke as long as it continues to award points to losing teams.

96. kempie says:

Shootout sux. Imagine MLB deciding tied games after 9 innings using “Home Run Derby”. Imagine deciding PGA events that are tied after 72 holes with a little “Closest to the Hole”. Kinda devalues the regulation play. I can’t stand watching 60 minutes of hockey, followed by a little OT, then someone says “screw this, let’s just take shots”. Suddenly it feels like we’re hacking around in the driveway with an orange ball.

97. HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re playing Boston tonight, the “debut series” continues with a roster comprised only of current NHLers who made their league debut in a Bruins uniform:

Lucic-Thornton-Kessel

Samsonov-Krejci-Wheeler

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin

Caron-Pahlsson-Orr

Hunwick-Jurcina

Gill-Staios

Stuart-Morrisonn

Thomas

Rask

Total cost:  $57.68mil, or $1.72mil under the cap.  Essentially, Joe Thornton, Sergei Samsonov and Phil Kessel replace Marc Savard, Marco Sturm and Nathan Horton up front, and Sammy Pahlsson makes for a nice fourth line centre.  The blueline is hardly inspiring (sorry Hal Gill) but reliable in their own end if nothing else.  In net, the usual suspects are present.

98. TomNickle says:

They still haven’t drated any elite defensemen with all of their acquired picks either.

I fully expected them to trade down in last season’s draft and take Gudbranson.

99. Propwash says:

KovyII = FAIL!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

100. TomNickle says:

That team will put a respectable season together at some point.  Like we did last year.

But their future isn’t really bright with little to no elite prospects and a small number of draft picks over the next two years.

101. HFX-HabFan says:

I did too, although I thought they might take Fowler.  It’s amazing that a team that had produced Shore/Clapper/Orr/Bourque hasn’t really produced any above-average blueline talent in the last twenty years.

102. geo_habsgo says:

I find it funny that some are bashing Halak for getting yanked. His stats to this point indicate that it is most likely just an off night.

I like both Halak and Price a lot with an admitted bias towards Price but in the end I am glad we traded one of the two because there was way too much talent being wasted on the bench regardless of who was sitting. I know I enjoy my Price and Halak highlight reels.

I hope they both keep up the play (but I hope Jaro chokes when he plays us!).

103. Julie H says:

Agreed on all fronts. Especially the talent being wasted when one of them is sitting out. I may not be Price’s biggest fan, but even I have to admit that he is getting better. Can’t wait to see us play against Halak. Also I would if the NJD management still think Kovyll was worth all the fuss and $

104. Mike D says:

HAHAHAHA.  Great post!

105. JohnBellyful says:

That’s shootouts in a nutshell. Shootouts=nutty. You pegged it.

106. kempie says:

I’d gladly go back to the old school “sister kissers” where there’s just 2 points available on a single game.  Tie and ya split em. Use to work fine.

107. Mike D says:

ATM I would imagine they regret the signing, and that regret will be exponential if they are unable to re-sign Parise.

Also, if Marty’s age really has caught up with him and he’s not just having a rough start to the season then they will also regret not having a decent netminder ready for full-time NHL action or the space to sign one.

108. Propwash says:

What gets to me is they play us, and we cannot get anything going. I get the feeling that KovyII doesn’t even want to play for the NJD. He would have been far better off in LA

109. Julie H says: