At last! Real Habs skating!!

Pleks

Training camp opens Saturday with practices and a scrimmage.
HIO will be there, as Boone attempts his first videos.
Despite David Stubbs best effort to pass along his mastery of the tiny camera, don’t expect Spielberg quality.

The Gazette’s Dave Sidaway, who knows how to use a camera, took the shot of Tomas Plekanec (special treat for J.T.) on Friday.

Hickey on camp opening and Markov’s health

Red Fisher says Buffalo bears watching

Boone to fans: Take a Valium

Arpon Basu on the Markov furor

Canadiens and the cap

More prospect rankings

Jaro’s mask will honour Demitra

• Five for Firing: Stu Hackel on coaches to watch

• Nooooooo! Sponsorship on jerseys

Kings play hardball with Doughty

A video to tide y’all over till Boone remakes Citizen Kane: Pleks’s Top 10

1. faimi says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. Da Hema says:

I enjoyed Boone’s article–as usual–but I must comment on his claim that Gauthier’s reference to players as “Mr.” Markov or “Mr.” Price is quirky. Perhaps Mr. Gauthier wants to nurture a culture of respect and professionalism in the organisation. The latter, professionalism, would include, for example, players showing up to training camp in NHL-level physical condition. I have had my doubts the players in the past have done this (e.g., Gomez last year; Emelin, it appears, this year). Gomez evidently had this expectation of professionalism reinforced this past off-season–especially with Mr. Gauthier making it publicly clear to Mr. Gomez that last season’s results were unacceptable, and that the organisation expects him to take steps to play like a professional this season.

3. Chips says:

Boone, I love that you could work “Owsley Acid” into a sports article!!! Good one!! Got any??

25 in 2012

4. PrimeTime says:

It’s only a matter of time for jersey to display ad’s. It was god-awful when the boards were decorated and it’s now well accepted. The same will eventually filter to the jerseys to the point where todays jersey’s will look to be old and plain looking. The source of revenue is far too great to ignore for the owners (and players to share?).

5. Chorske says:

I think “Veni, Vidi, Questus” would be a far more apt motto. Or, “Credere non possum quod fecit commercium”

It doesn’t appear that the Coyotes will be moving to Hamilton anytime soon. Quebec City and Kansas City just moved up the pecking order in terms of bailing out failed NHL franchises.

Mike Boone’s quote of the day:
    “Hab fans deserve their own motto. What’s coulda/shoulda/woulda in Latin?”

As for MB’s Roman Hamrlik comments, I have often stated that the Hammer’s true value was underappreciated by some HI/O fans. Especially in light of the fact that he has had to step into the ‘Markov breach’ two years running. No wonder he was worn down by April.

Having said that, I wouldn’t have given him a two year, +35 contract for $7M the way Washington did. It may have been fine for the first year (which would have meant finding a way to jettison Spacek) but would have been a real gamble in year two. If Hamrlik lost a step, he would automatically become the team’s 7th Dman. And no NHL team in it’s right mind would ever pay their spare defenseman 3.5M:-)

• habitual says:

Perfect, but for one thing: the assumption that it would have taken 7 million to sign Hammer for 2 years. PG only offered him one year, Hammer was quoted as saying “money was not the issue”, and that he was looking for two or three years. Three years would have been too long for the reasons you state, but I’d have kept him for two years at 2 mill per.

• 24 Cups says:

There’s no way any agent is going to allow his player to work for close to half price (4M vs 7M).

Hamrlik and Vokoun for a combined 5M should help make a difference in Washington this year.

• habitual says:

Steve, Montreal would have offered first, not simultaneously, so there would not have been competing offers.

However, a moot point. I agree that Washington will be very tough this year, perhaps the team to beat.

8. naweed235 says:

Just to make a point on the pic of yemelin shirtless , and apparently underpants less… When I first saw the pic I, like many others thought man I’m in better shape than this guy and that worried me… But then I remembered seeing a video of Ovechkin without his shirt and he also seemed way outta shape but yet he is a effin workhorse … Then I remembered Markov and so on … I think Russians just have different body types … A layer of fat might always be present due to genetics and geographical conditioning

9. arcosenate says:

As long as Boone is second guessing the GM, I can too. I know the Markov signing was the right thing to do because can you imagine the outrage in these parts had he let Markov walk and the Bruins had promptly inked him to a contract? Not a pretty scene.

It’s the throwaway trades that bug me. Getting sweet nothing for Sergei Kostitsyn was one of these, he led the Preds in scoring last year. A decent prospect at least could have been obtained.

• HabFab says:

1. They did get the rights to a RFA and an UFA for him however…
      2. IMHO they frigged up in the way they handled him so badly in his demotion. That not only did they eliminate him as a possible player for this team, they diminished his trading value.

• Neutral says:

arcosenate: the Markov signing was a gamble, the outrage will be if he can’t play and if he can should he re-injure his knee, than they’re be comments flying….

• Chorske says:

Neutral: if Markov can’t play (which seems unlikely), his money comes off the cap. The only person who is out any money is Molson. I don’t see where the outrage comes in.

• Chorske says:

Just read the article. Boone doesn’t second guess the GM. In fact, he goes out of his way to reassure those fans who may be second-guessing the GM that they can relax. He spends half the article praising the GM, so I’m not sure where you get the impression that he is second-guessing him.

I am especially pleased that he touches on the Eller acquisition and the Wiz non-signing… two favourite bugaboos of the panic crowd here on HIO.

10. JohnBellyful says:

NEW YORK – Brendan Shanahan, NHL senior vice-president for player safety and hockey operations, announced today the league will introduce a new award this season to reduce incidents of on-ice violence.
    “We’re going to identify an Anti-Player of the Month to single out the worst offender of cheap shots and hits to the head,” Shanahan said. “These are players who have no regard for their peers, so why should we show them any respect? The award will include mug-style shots along with video clips of the various plays in which the recipient made obvious attempts to injure.”
    Shanahan said the clips will be accompanied by explanations given by medical specialists as to the real and potential harm caused by the illegal hits.
    “Fans will be invited to submit captions for the recipient’s posted photos as well as Photoshopped versions,” Shanahan said. “Coarse humour will be encouraged as that is the most likely to have the intended effect – to shame the player into behaving differently.”
    Comic Denis Leary has been contracted to deliver a two-minute rant, “You’re an A- -hole!”, with each monthly award.
    Shanahan provided an excerpt from a sample clip for the press conference:
    “Meet John Doughhead, Anti-Player of the Month. What a waste of flesh.
    Do the league a favour, douchebag, and make yourself effin’ useful, like donate parts to other players: knees, elbows, ankles, groin, heart, lungs.
    Not having them is going to affect your game? Yeah, riiiiiight! Numbnuts, you played 11 times last month, averaging seven minutes a game, and managed to collect 56 minutes in penalties, including three majors. You’re a PIMhead, you know that! You give sphincters a bad name.
    Guess what, you’re our first entry in the Knucklehead Registry. No, ya don’t get a present, you dipstick. Has your brain reached puberty yet? Why don’t we do a CRAPscan and find out …”
    Shanahan admitted the league is taking a gamble trying to embarrass players who, judging by their actions, have no sense of shame but he’s confident ridicule can serve as a powerful training tool.
    He said the NHL will also require the Anti-Player of the Month to wear yellow skates and helmet with pink polka dots and ‘I’m An A- -hole’ on their sweater. He added no penalties will be called against players who spit in the face of an award winner.
    (For the original A- -hole number, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs)

• G-Man says:

My chuckle of the morning. Thanks for keeping it chilled, belly. :D

• jo_maka says:

Good stuff. Denis Leary won’t work though, he’s an unapologetic Bruins fan. So if it’s imposed by the league, they may say Campbell is still in the picture……maybe blackmailing Bettman with pics of him cross-dressing or something…..

_________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

11. stjrandy says:

To delete cookies on google chrome click on the wrench symbol on the upper right hand corner, select tools from the drop down list,and select delete history from the sublist that opens up. This will open the under the hood page and allow you to delete the cookies on your computer. If you can use Firefox browse the Gazette while using the private browsing option to stop cookies as well.

Back from the Abyss
    “System,Speed,and Skill” – P Gauthier
    “too small and soft” – Everyone Else

12. Habs_4_ever says:

I thought that only a handful of rookies usually get invited to stay for the main camp. If I understood correctly, all of the rookies will be participating this year. Can someone please clear me up on this.

————————
    “That’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

13. LoL… Citezen Kane, can’t believe I actually watched that whole movie!

Nice top 10 of Pleks!

Now… I have no idea how to get to Brossard, yet I’ll find my way.

________________________________________________
    “We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.”
    ― Bill Hicks

14. JF says:

Is there a way to get rid of the notice on Gazette articles telling me I’ve reached my limit and must subscribe to read anything?

• HabFab says:

JF, it is their cookies that they use to track your visits. I automatically delete mine daily so I don’t have this problems. Others go in and delete them after they start getting the notices.

• JF says:

HabFab, thanks, but I have no idea how to delete cookies. I use Google Chrome; they tell me to go to Options and hit “Under the hood”, but I can’t find any such tab. Can you help?

• HabFab says:

I don’t use that system but is there a security setting or privacy tab? It will definitely be under your options somewhere.

EDIT; please note post at 8:23 from stjrandy on how to fix your Chrome. And now VJ, we are all here for you ;)

• VJ says:

Google is your friend

Delete all your data

1 – Click the wrench icon wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
          2 – Select Tools.
          3 – Select Clear browsing data.
          4 – In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of information that you want to remove.
          5 – Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Select beginning of time to delete everything.
          6 – Click Clear browsing data.

• JF says:

Thanks. The Google Chrome “help” page told me to click “Options”, which did not open the “under the hood” tab.

15. Habziefan09 says:

Leave it to the Laughs to sell out their joke of a team for sponsorship!.. This is why I have always despised European hockey. Boards and Ice, no problem.. leave the jersey alone!

Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”