At age 81, Jean Béliveau counts his blessings at Christmas

jeanweb

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs caught up with Canadiens living legend Jean Béliveau, who suffered a stroke 10 months ago but has recovered and is looking forward to spending Christmas eve with his wife, Élise, as they dine at the home of their daughter, Hélène, in the company of her daughters — their granddaughters — Mylène and Magalie. On Christmas night, they again will be together as a family for dinner at Béliveau’s South Shore condominium.

“I have no complaints,” Béliveau said while recovering from his stroke, a sentiment he still expresses today. “I’m a very fortunate guy, blessed with my health. Because I should be gone.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Béliveau, and get his comments on the lockout, by clicking here.

After Béliveau’s stroke, many Gazette readers shared their fond memories and stories about Béliveau. You can read some of them by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Don Cherry believes the NHL will be playing hockey again in January, writing on his Twitter account:

“Look to the middle of January for the game to return Those people who say it won’t be good hockey because it’s only half a season don’t know what they’re talking about.

“Don’t you remember the last time it was half a season and New Jersey won the Cup?” he added. “It was a sprint not a marathon. Play within their own conference. Lots of action. The guys know every game is important. Won’t have the half season blahs. It will be terrific!”

Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

• Propwash says:

I want to see him in a Habs jersey as much as the next guy, but I want to see him developed properly for the NHL, no more rushing kids up only to see them fall from grace and get run out of town.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

1. frontenac1 says:

Yakupov says we play Dirty!

2. Haborama says:

Trouba is a beast

3. Mavid says:

just flicked it over 6 zip..yikes..poor Germany…

4. Habfan10912 says:

Gally with a beauty. 3-0 US.

———————————–

5. Cal says:

Since I am first for December 27th, and there’s a snowstorm dumping snow all around me, here’s a song that’s fit for the weather:

6. Boomer says:

Red Wings prospect caught under the influence dressed as a telletubby.
    Although I find nothing amusing about dui’s, a grown ass man drunk in a telletubby suit kinda makes me laugh.

• Haborama says:

he was probably thinking “beat that Patrick Kane!!”

but in all seriousness, what is with the Red Wings and their problems with drug abuse and alcoholism in their prospects, Probert, Klima, and now this…………..

7. Habfan10912 says:

Good evening all. I just completed reading Robert Lefebvre’s book, Tales from the Montreal Canadiens Locker Room. I use to think I knew an awful lot about my Habs but this book proved that wrong. The book is filled with historical data and wonderful and very interesting stories from the conception of the team to the current edition . A must read for any Han fan. Well done Robert!

———————————–

8. Boomer says:

Anyone else think Dominik Kahun would make a decent later round pick? I see potential but i also see another smaller forward lol Damn you small German/czech people!!!

9. Haborama says:

geeze, whatever happened to Paul Ranger??

on minute he was on of Tampa’s best defencemen, next minute – GONE…….

10. Propwash says:

Hmmmmmmm… does anybody know how to change ones profile pic? I can’t seem to find the option to do so in edit profile.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• HardHabits says:

You gotta go to Gravatar.com and upload a new pic there.

• Propwash says:

LOL thanks, I completely forgot about gravatar

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Propwash says:

Testing…

_____________________________
          “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
          Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Bripro says:

Failing grade.
            You probably changed the picture but didn’t apply it.
            Try it again.

• Propwash says:

I dunno, I see the new pic…

_____________________________
            “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
            Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Bripro says:

A cute little baby with a pooks hairdo and a habs jersey?
            If so, then yes. But it seems so familiar.
            That’s what you had before, no?

• Propwash says:

It should be my son in my hallway sporting my Habs jersey, maybe if you shift-refresh the page, the new pic may appear, that’s how it worked for me. Gravatar was being kinda sketchy though.

_____________________________
            “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
            Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

11. SlovakHab says:

Hey guys
    how did Slovakia look compared to Germans?
    Did we just defend against the Russians, or actually made any plays?

12. jols101 says:

Crap, was looking forward to a shootout with the camera right on the ice. That would have made for some interesting angles for some filthy dangles or big saves…

13. Cal says:

Ouch! Spengler Cup loss in OT, 2-1.

• otter649 says:

Interesting uniforms worn by the refs – Sponsored by Swiss Milk the front of the jersey has a cow head (face) with black & white spots of a Holstein cow over the rest of the uniform with black pants but not as bad as when Doug Gilmour wore the cow legs & costume for The Ontario Dairies back in the 90s…….

• Bill J says:

How does Canada lose to an opponent whose sole 2 goals were scored by Canadians?

Seriously, WTF?

14. jols101 says:

What a Glorious Boxing Day. So much Hockey. WJC ( 2 games ), AHL, and Spengler Cup. Had to get up a little early but well worth it. Tomorrow, Galchenyuk and Team USA vs Germany. NHL who?

15. commandant says:

Bulldogs down 3-0 to Marlies.

Just can’t compete with this team filled with guys like Ryan Hamilton, Keith Aucoin, Mike Kostka, Paul Ranger, Mike Zigomanis, Mark Fraser, etc…

Vets like that are what win in the AHL, and this Hamilton team is boys vs men right now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

16. Mavid says:

hey 2 games on at once..thank god for PIP…

Watched 2 periods of the juniors game. Man, Canada’s D sucks and so does M Subban. Brutal.
    Technically you can say not his fault on all of the goals but how about making a difficult save? Otherwise you can put me in nets if the expectations that I stop all the shots that hit me square in a chest.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think the Bruins picked him just to bug us.

They’re still obsessed with us. Always will be I guess.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Max says:

I agree.Subban looks unsure of himself and the defense is looking disjointed.This team will live and die by its forwards who are probably the deepest in the tournament.Expect a lot of high scoring games.

18. Cal says:

1PM Eastern- Bulldogs at Marlies- Sportsnet.
    Boxing Day is now Hockey Day. :)

19. Cal says:

Afternoon, everyone.
    A little song for our juniors over in Ufa.

20. otter649 says:

It appears The Bulldogs vs Marlies game today at The ACC is a sold out event – Hopefully a good & entertaining game will result for the spectators…..

21. Propwash says:

Josh Gorges is hosting a pick up game in Willibrord park in Verdun at 2pm. I’m probably going to go and cheer him on and hopefully get to shake his hand. Too bad I have no skates or stick to join in the festivities.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

22. commandant says:

I haven’t sat down to watch the full game, but I saw the goals. Can’t fault Subban on them.

D needs to tighten up though against better teams…. bad coverage, bad giveaways.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

23. Propwash says:

The Slovak team made Russia sweat a bit.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

24. commandant says:

Nice to see Collberg start the tournament out with a goal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

25. Mavid says:

Merry Christmas everyone…got a spiffy new MacBook Air to go along with all my other apple stuff…baaaah baaaah baaaaah..gotta say compared to my HP is is pretty sweet!! Good on you all for getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the Jr’s play..I PVR’d it then saw the score..don’t think I will even bother to watch it…the Spangler is on today as well is it not?

What are the chances Fehr and Bettman could take today literally meet in Canada and celebrate Boxing Day in order to finalize this CBA.

27. ElMcFoldo says:

Collberg scored on a rocket one-timer to open the scoring in Sweden’s game. Anyone interested in watching can check it out here (in Swedish): http://nutjob.eu/njtvx17.html

They are about to start the 2nd period.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning although it feels like afternoon for some. :)
    Here is the TV schedule for the WJC for US viewers.

———————————–

29. jols101 says:

I love the effort TSN puts into their coverage of this Tournament. They really go all out and do a fantastic job. Love it.

30. Riga Fraction says:

Funny observation in the boxscore:

3rd Period
    Time Team Player (Assists)
    4:46 Canada New Player (Scott Harrington, Ryan Strome)
    17:03 Canada Tyler Wotherspoon (Brett Ritchie, Ryan Strome)

Exactly when did we sign the guy that scored at the 4:46 mark? (in reality, it was Drouin’s goal)

31. Cal says:

Canada sleepwalks through the 3rd against a thoroughly despondent German team.
    All in all, thank heavens it wasn’t Russia or the USA.

32. Riga Fraction says:

Have to figure RNH for player of the game. Maybe Reider for Germany (tougher pick for them than for us here)

33. Riga Fraction says:

Could see that one coming all the way, 9-3 on a no doubter when Germany has a brain fart in their end, leading to a modified 2 on 0

• Riga Fraction says:

8 different goal scorers is also a good sign for a team that was struggling to find the net. Could use some work defensively, and gave up 3 goals on the first 9 shots which needs to be fixed against the tougher teams, but it’s good to have things to work on after a blow out as well.

34. Riga Fraction says:

First whistle since the Drouin goal 10 minutes ago, what a great series for the kids. German goalie caught in a shooting gallery there and survived it.

35. Riga Fraction says:

Spott must have read them the riot act in the intermission, they look MUCH better over the first 11 mins of the third so far.

36. Riga Fraction says:

Nicely done Drouin and Harrington. 8-3

37. jols101 says:

Miro Aaltonen gets 2 goals and 1 assist for Finland and then snaps his ankle like a twig. Sports can be so cruel.

• Riga Fraction says:

That’s a tough one to come back from too, they never really fully heal when you do it up there on the ankle. Thankfully hockey has a lot of ankle support when he does eventually return. This one should be about a 3-4 month type of injury though. Very unfortunate injury to one of Finland’s top players.

38. Cal says:

Jeckyll and Hyde 2nd period. Canada’s brilliant offense offset by brain-dead defensive decisions leading to 2 quick German goals.
    Nugent-Hopkins tearing it up, with at least 5 points on the already 7 Canadian goals.

• savethepuck says:

Cal, I would like to sincerely thank you for your reply to my post about my father earlier. It means a lot to me. I almost got caught up in a debate with another poster for a while, and maybe got a little sidetracked.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

39. jols101 says:

The Big Line is putting on quite a show.

40. Riga Fraction says:

It’s official, last shot wins! Nice goal though Schief. RNH piling up the points today. 7-3 after 2, Nug with 5. Need to ditch some sloppiness in their own end, but good to see them finally find the back of the net (even if it’s against Germany’s backup goalie)

41. Riga Fraction says:

Nice pass, wrong team…. no help from the goalie to bail you out after that brain fart either…. can’t get away with this against Russia or the US guys.

42. Riga Fraction says:

Germany started their backup for a reason, to protect their starter’s psyche. Not sure how long they’ll leave this kid in there, but I figure he’s in for quite awhile longer even at 6-1. Not sure if saving the starter for Russia or USA is going to be any more forgiving to him though.

43. Riga Fraction says:

Tough injury for Finland, hopefully Aaltonen makes a full recovery. Always sucks to be put out of the tourney this early, especially in basically a meaningless game against the relegation teams.

44. Riga Fraction says:

4 points for Nug, good start there as well

45. jols101 says:

RE: Subban ,

TSN speaking about it before the game, Subban is the #1 and will play every game from here on in unless he craps the bed.

46. jols101 says:

Solid 1st Period. PP looks good. Great game to get things started. Germans aren’t the pushovers they were 10 – 15 years ago. Most of their players are in the CHL. Should still be a comfortable win for our boys. I hope.

Go Canada Go !!!!

47. Riga Fraction says:

Hard to complain about discipline on phantom calls like that. Yuck, it happens, just have to deal with those.

48. Cal says:

Decent 1st period.
    Stupid kneeing penalty costs a goal late.
    Dman Ouellette with a bank shot in and Nugent-Hopkins with a nice finish. 2-1 Canada after one.
    Germans with 4 penalties already.

49. Riga Fraction says:

Both teams starting their backup goalies today, that’s a rare one in the tourney opener.

• Riga Fraction says:

The more I see of Subban on this run, the more I am starting to think he should be our #3 goalie. He has NOT looked good in any of the games he’s taken part in yet. Hope this doesn’t bite them in the butt down the road if Binnington gets hurt.

• Cal says:

Subban is the starter and is #1 according to head coach Spott. Guess he’s #1, eh?

• Riga Fraction says:

Spott has said that he hasn’t made any such decisions and it’s rather common to start your backup against the weakest team in your bracket to give him some playing time, while saving the starter for the other teams.

Binnington’s clearly the top goalie on the team, and if Spott fails to figure that out somehow as you suggested, that’s just a bad sign for the team moving forward.

• savethepuck says:

You really sound like one of the Habs fans that think only 1 or 2 weeks in the past. Over the last 2 years of Malcolm in International hockey and his OHL play, he deserved the starting goalie job. As a former goaltender of 40 years, to expect a coach to base his decision on just a couple of exhibition games is not realistic.
          That said, I would of understood Sport’s decision either way, and supported it.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Riga Fraction says:

Subban was 4th best goalie in camp and was given a spot anyway. Subban was clearly the second best goalie after camp. Subban has been no better whatsoever than Binnington all year long now, including the OHL vs Russia series or any of the OHL games the two have played. I am sorry that my opinion isn’t based on bias toward a Free Agent Habs’ brother as your’s apparently is, but Binnington has been the better of the two regardless of that. All I care about is team Canada, not whether or not PK’s brother is a part of the team.

• savethepuck says:

Do not believe I am answering this, but what seriously makes you think Subban is not the legitimate starting goalie for Canada

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

50. AliHaba says:

Good morning to all like me who need a hockey fix.

51. savethepuck says:

Just getting up to watch the Junior game here in Atlantic Canada. I have at least an extra hour of sleep than you in Quebec and Ontario do.
    Firstly, I’d like to wish everyone on the site a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Secondly, I would like to say shame on me for seeing the video above on Jean Beliveau being almost 24 minutes long, and thinking I did not have time to watch it. I just watched it, and it brought back so many memories. The memories were not personally of me watching him, I was born in 65, and at 6 years old when he retired, the memories are unfortunately not there. The memories were of my father telling me how great he was and what it was like to watch him. My father was born in Saint John, NB in 35 at a time when you had a long travel to see an NHL game in Montreal or even Boston ( same distance to drive to either City from here , and today it is approx 8 hours for either).
    He told me and my brother as kids what it was like to see Jean Beliveau play for the Quebec Aces at the Saint John Forum in the early 50’s. He spent his life in the armed forces from the mid 50’s to the late 70’s and being a man who put his children first, never invested in the money to watch a live NHL hockey game for himself. He was an incredibly unselfish man. As his son, I travelled in hockey tournaments as a kid in the 70’s, and got to see a couple of NHL games when he couldn’t travel with me due to other commitments. In the fall of 2007, me and my brother knew his heath wasn’t great, so we decided to take him to a Habs game. My brother, who followed his footsteps in the armed forces, lived in Ottawa at the time and he tried to get us tickets at the Bell. When he found that impossible, he decided to get us tickets to the Oct. 17th, 2007 game when the Habs visited Ottawa at Scotia Bank Place ( I know it’s not like the Bell Center). The Habs lost 4-3, it was Carey’s second career start, but we had a great time. My father died October 24th, 2007, 1 week after his first NHL hockey game at the age of 72. I don’t believe I shared this story like this, but the beginning of the video above, when Jean Beliveau stayed with the Quebec Aces instead of going to the Habs, brought back all those memories of what my father used to say about how great he was.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…cYa, off to Hawaii :) …hope this Day has been peaceful and meaningful to Y’all

…Quent wakes up and finds a 10 ft surfboard laying next to the tree …rips the paper off and finds the CH logo on the nose …He says “Dad …way cool …but where am I going to use this ?”

…then I show Them the tickets leaving tomorrow morning for Honolulu …spending some squirley-time at Waimea Bay for a few days …back before New Year

…no Bettman, no Fehr, …only the Pipeline, surf, bikinis, soft sand and Margaritas

…in-time, I hope, for the conclusion of Russia vs Canada ? (again, I said ‘I hope’ :) )

…I just hope, also, I don’t get My shorts ripped-off by a wave like last time :)

_________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: BANZAI !!!