Assessing the GM

Martin Leclerc, at ruefrontenac.com, looks at Pierre Gauthier’s first year as general manager.

Leclerc offers his own opinions on the moves Gauthier has made.

Here’s a chronological list

Feb. 12, 2010: Four days after taking over from Bob Gainey, Gauthier obtains Dominic Moore from Florida for a second-round pick in the 2011 draft.

March 4: Gauthier trades Matt D’Agostini to St. Louis for Aaron Palushaj.

June 17: The Big One: Jaro Halak to the Blues for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz.

July 1: Alex Auld signs as a free-agent

July 29: Gauthier ships Sergei Kostitsyn to Nashville for Dustin Boyd and Dan Ellis

Aug. 2: Alexandre Picard signs as a FA.

Sept. 7: FA Jeff Halpern signs.

Nov. 11: Ryan O’Byrne traded to Colorado for junior prospect Michaël Bournival.

Dec. 28: James Wisniewski obtained from the Islanders for a second-round pick in 2011 and a fifth-rounder in 2012.

Dec. 31: Maxim Lapierre traded to Anaheim for depth defenceman Brett Festerling and a fifth-round choice in 2012.

The dossier should also include the long-term signing of Tomas Plekanec and the lengthy negotiation that culminated in a two-year deal for Carey Price.

So as the trading deadline draws nigh, how do you think Pierre Gauthier has done so far?

1. Will Longlade says:

A lot of the PG deals some posters are bashing don’t withstand any serious scrutiny. Their opinions are simply based on emotion. Look at the facts! How has the team progressed versus last year and what adversities have they had to overcome to do it? If you do that PG (and BG) get a pretty darn good grade.

Boone’s 1st move with you was better than his 2nd one. :p

Halpern is an upgrade on Moore in another sense:

Halpern 58.1 FO%

Moore 53.2 FO%

4. habstrinifan says:

Ok you just mad eone other way PG gets an A from me. Bring Robinson on board. Even if he has to sit JM down and say “listen JM, he’s here or you are NOT”.

I think Robinson will work with JM. I dont think JM is secure enought to accept unless he is pushed.

5. jimmy shaker says:

Halpern has done a very good job in letting us all forget about Moore and Metro.  Although Metro did seem to have a tad bit more skill, halpern has the defensive game, the faceoff prowess and the cheaper contract.  I would like this guy back for sure and deserving of a raise to nice cool mill.

Shaker

6. habstrinifan says:

By himself he does not add what we really need. And if you get him you cant get anyone else.

Yesterday I posted three acquisition scenarios for PG.

1… iGINLA/2.. Nel AND Phillips/3… Vermette.

I would only go after Vermette if I cant do the first two.

7. habstrinifan says:

ooops! Pleks of course.

Shows how much Pleks flyies under the radar eh. But of course he is untouchable too.

8. Will Longlade says:

I’m not a big fan of either of those guys. A player I like a lot for a playoff run is an ex-Sens player, Antoine Vermette. He was one of the Sens best players when they went to the Stanley Cup finals many years ago and he still brings it every night. Though I don’t think the Habs can pry him away from Columbus.

9. habstrinifan says:

Draft picks, Weber, anyone in AHL now or juniors and either AK or Pouliot. I wont give up Price/Subban/Pacioretty. I wont give up any of the three.. Gomez Gionta Cam.. If we gave up any of the three Cam/Gomez/Gionta then we diminish the value of adding Neil and Phillips. Think about it. Neil/Phillips/Cam’Gomez/Gionta/Pac/Subban/Gill.. i mean that is a team wher ethe whole WILL be greater than the sum of the parts.

If we could give up Ryan McDonaugh we could give up Gallagagher.. maybe even Tinordi( dont really want to) etc. LeBlanc for sure. Basically draft picks, prospects, and anyone other than players (except those mentioned above from current team).

I would be salivating if I could look say after Feb and see my line up looking like I described.

WOW!

10. habstrinifan says:

WOW!

11. fbkj says:

this is a hindsight move, which dont count

12. fbkj says:

“whats that? you want backes? ughhhh k well see what happens with niemi, tx bye!”

All I have to say about Gauthier is… eh. For me he is not here nor there… Halak deal was BS, SK wasn’t good either… Wiz is ok i suppose… Eller should be in the minors but could be ok… signing Price was good. Pleks deal is only good if he shows same worth in the playoffs.

Now, if Gauthier manages to get rid of Gomez then he definitely gets an A from me.

14. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll say he’s done a very decent job since taking over.  Nothing over zealous ala burkie, but very calculated and reserved.  I’d give him a B+, but if he dumps JM and promotes Muller and brings in Robinson than I’ll move him up to the A department.  I know this won’t happen, but we can always dream on here right?

Shaker

15. Rugger says:

Okay, but what are you willing to give up?

16. Displaced says:

He could have keep both if he moved OB earlier.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

17. Former Jets Fan says:

There was the compensatory pick for not signing David Fischer, which is the one now owned by the Isles.

18. Displaced says:

It’s a trade for current production (or lack thereof) versus future value (or one that fails to produce).  Fair.  Just making the point that we traded a starting goalie (yes, 28th ranked) for a fourth line player (at the moment) who averages minimal minutes and few points.

Moore was a marginal loss.  A second rounder for less than 50 games.

D’ag is playing for a AHL-er who might not get called up – ever.

Max for futures.

Where are the wins?

BUT — again – the team has more points, so it’s difficult to grade is performance.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

19. habstrinifan says:

Gauthier do you want an A+ at the end of this hockey year.. then LISTEN to this.

As said on the Melnyk show (team 990).. the fortunes of the other teams in the league are such that this IS A GOOD YEAR to make a move that will press certain buttons on your team.

If you could land Iginla.. do it. But I doubt that that is even possible.

Ok so you cant get Iginla.

Do not go for Reghr. Do not go for Weiss. Do not go for players like that. Players slated to be A-1 players but have not cemented that reputation.

Go for Chris Neil and Chris Phillip….. together.

They bring exactly what your team does not have. They bring size, dedication, no ‘elite tag’ pressure. What they do is add two individuals to your team that WILL improve the overall prospects for your team against ANY OPPONENT.

And salary wise and demand wise they are very very affordable. Get those two players on your team and you will end up with an A-PLUS.

You do not need a STAR.. you need teeth in your team.. offensively, defensively and temparament and grit wise.

Chris Neil and Chris Phillip wii do it.

20. Shiloh says:

Hard to evaluate Gauthier just yet. He was saddled with a 2nd or 3rd-line player eating about 15% of the entire team’s cap space, so he hasn’t had the room (or the time) to put his mark on the club. Wiz was a good get – and Domenic Moore was such a good forward to have in the playoffs. Sure, we didn’t resign him but the revenue the club got for three playoff rounds more than made up for the short-term rental.

Gauthier is doing OK – and there’s been no big screw-ups either.

21. NickDags says:

I would give Gauthier a B- in his first year as GM.

I like his signings and I like the trade for Wiz but I didn’t like the Sergei trade or the Halak trade. I think we could of gotten more for SK, we essentially only got Boyd who is playing in the minors, or we could of kept SK and tried to harness his raw talent and try and change his attitude. He’s playing great in Nashville and has more points then his brother.

I also didn’t like the trade of Halak, I did like Gauthier choosing Price over Halak, that was a great decision as we can all see this season. I however don’t think we got enough in return, Halak was at the top of his game and was the best player in the 2010 playoffs I think we could of got at least an established top 6 forward. But I guess we have to wait and see how Eller turns out in the future.

22. Habit in the west says:

No impressed. His patience, the selection of what they are trading for, his scouting staff, it has to start to make you wonder. I don’t think there is one B move, C’s at best. He hasn’t improved the team beyond Wisniewski. Sorry, unimpressed so far, considering all the moves made under his guidance. They are a few quality moves from making a difference, turning this team into a playoff tough team. We’ll see, good luck Pierre.

23. Propwash says:

Halak vs Eller = fair trade, imo. Halak isn’t exactly lighting it up so far, and Eller isn’t scoring a million goals. Pretty even if you want to look at it shortsightedly.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

24. Propwash says:

Gauthier has done a good job for what he has had in hand so far.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

I was replying to “Halak playing a major role”.

Of course maybe he meant Halak playing a major role in keeping the Blues in the doldrums.

Not that I am gloating about it. I like Jaro.

26. Arrow77 says:

Halak’s value was never that good. For all the hooplas St. Louis made when they got him, they knew there was some risk involved otherwise they wouldn’t have risk losing him by offering two unproven players. Maybe Gauthier could have gotten more for the trade but I doubt it would have been that much better.

27. Propwash says:

Getting Backes for Halak would have been impossible. We got a good player in return.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

28. PeterD says:

Robert AKA SeriousFan09 has started a very thoughtful and well crafted review of the Ghosts first year and the helm of the Habs…Part one can be reada at the link below.  Thanks Robert…good work

I’ve been writing a blow-by-blow review of Gauthier’s first year as the Habs GM and examining the organization’s 30 most significant moves since he took on the job, here’s Part 1 for those interested.

I hear what your saying, but without a ticket you can’t win the lottery.  A lot of 2nd rounders never pan out but then again you sometimes pick up a Stastny, Lucic or Subban.

30. Arrow77 says:

Leclerc forgets to mention the impact of the rookies when he evaluates Gauthier’s (and Gainey’s) work. I think the team would be much better and score more goals this year if Markov and Gorges were still playing. A team that has Wisniewski as a 5th or 6th defenseman (closer to 4th or 5th in my mind) has a very good defense. A powerplay with both Markov and Wisniewski at the point would also make many of our forwards look much better.

As for the rest, I think we can qualify Auld’s impact as positive, even if it’s not his performances that make it so. The climate has really improved without a goalie controversy and Price’s play as been excellent. Other than Gomez, we don’t really have any unmovable player and the contracts ending this summer will give us some room for free agents.

I’d give Gauthier a solid B+.

31. PeterD says:

Three toughest jobs in hockey…

1) Starting goaltender for Montreal Canadiens

2) Head coach for Montreal Canadiens

3) GM for Montreal Canadiens

Good job so far Pierre…now get us a scoring power forward…and if that forward happens to be French then you win over both sides of the fans and media.

32. Max_a_million says:

You realize St. Louis is currently in suck town with Halak as their expensive goalie right?

33. scrowe21 says:

So you’re judging the trade based on how Halak is playing now? Interesting..

Bottom line is, Halaks trade value went way up after the playoffs last year, and thats when he was traded.. should have got Backes.

34. rogieshan says:

How can you argue the Moore deal? Sure he’s no longer here, but without him team might’ve been bounced in the 1st round. By your assessment, the Wiz deal would be a lost too if he isn’t resigned.

35. Max_a_million says:

Good point.  The financials are often overlooked.  The trade makes it possible to lock up Pleks for his prime years.

36. ds says:

Pretty good job by Gauthier, Moore came in handy last year, Halak’s trade kept Plex, Wiz was a steal.

It’s good to see after the mid 90s-2000s disaster that MTL was in, Gainey & Gauthier have crafted a team that is not the best but is definitely a darkhorse for the cup.  A few moves and this team is a legit stanley cup contender.

37. kevin m says:

How many 2nd round picks did the Habs have in 2011? 1 for Moore & 1 for the Wiz

38. shiram says:

Halak was a now solution for the Blue.

Eller is possibly a future solution for the Habs. You cannot really evaluate it untill Eller has a few seasons under his belt.

Shcultz though, thats another story.

39. Max_a_million says:

I think PG has done a great job.  He has decisiveness, and seems to know what he is looking for.

Some fo the trades that might look bad in retrospect may be necessary in the short term.  SK was a cancer, doesn’t matter if we got nothing back for him.  The coach wasn’t playing O’Byrne better to have a decent prospect while the getting is good and before we lose him for nothing (same as D’agostini)

Pleks, Wiz, Moore, all great deals.

I think acquiring Eller and Schultz is very much underrated.  Acquiring talented players who are young and cheap is a very valuable commodity.  Even if there were more NHL calibre players avaialble, their cost would be problematic on our balance books.

Not perfect, but really really good.  B+ sounds about right.  We will see who he trades for this month.  It will definitely be before the deadline, and it go a long way to defining his year.  It will be tougher now that Pitts, Boston, … have more cap room available with injuries to compete in the market.

40. LA Loyalist says:

If he makes a significant (tough larger scoring fwd or a decent defender) by Feb 28, AND signs the Whiz, then a B.

If Wiz walks at year end, and we’ve done nothing to improve the team by Feb 28th, C- and a long summer to think about it.

To be fair no one could have predicted that both Markov and Gorges would be gone for the year, so that need was not obvious and big points for getting Wiz very cheaply.

The scoring and toughness upfront, however, is no secret and is still unaddressed, preferably not through a rental but there may not be a choice.

Finally, go back and read Robert Rice’s analysis. Very interesting.

41. Displaced says:

PG has lost every deal (to date for you Eller fans – Halak playing a major role vs. Eller playing a minor role with potential) except the Wiz deal.  But the team has more points.  Hard to say what his grade should be

Who’s leg do I h.ave to hump to get a dry martini around here?

42. scrowe21 says:

hmm..forgot they lost their 2nd pick again this year. I hope they can get Jensen in the first round.

locking up Pleky was the best move, but Pleky wanted to resign here anyway so I don’t know how much credit you can give him, although his contract is great.. but man theres some bad trades there.

43. Duracell3 says:

Spacek has another year on his contract….so are you buying him out in this setup?

44. Duracell3 says:

The AHL might be doing this next year actually.

As for the NHL game, it wouldn’t be fair at all, the NHL salary would be many times that of the opposition and for good reason. There are very few players not in the NHL who have superstar type potential, versus a whole team of them. Nabokov was one at one point; the same could be said for Jagr. The others are all just very young and still playing in the leagues they grew up in and have yet to make the transfer, and are simply not that great yet. The only elite level type offensive players that would compete on a small rink are maybe Radulov, Cervenka, Morozov, and maybe Mozyakin, but he’s a bit small, I’d take Eller to beat him up. In a single game of course it could go either way, but I’d rather see a touring type of thing, say Kazan, SKA, Omsk or Salavat playing 2-4 games in the US much like the NHL has been doing on the other side, albeit I don’t think it has nearly the draw.  Plus, the logistics of any of this is highly suspect.

As for inter-league trash talk, I’m not sure anyone cares. There are only maybe 4 teams in the KHL who could really consistently beat NHL teams that have 2 checking lines, on big ice at that. I would suspect games on small ice would expose their goalies even more which would not be pretty. And depending on how the NHL team is chosen, there may very well be a majority of Euros anyway.

45. king ddd says:

unfortunately, i d rather trade him. we probably wont get much in return but  we clear cap space and bogosian is younger, meaner better than spacek at his age now

No wonder I can’t remember a thing.

47. Chris says:

It is absolutely impossible to say who has elite level talent in the foreign leagues.  Until they play on NHL ice, we can’t really know.

Brian Rafalski isn’t a superstar, but he’s certainly a perennial contender for the All-Star game.  Tim Thomas is doing great, against all odds based on his background.  Johan Franzen is another who came over fairly late to little fanfare who developed into a great NHL player.

48. fbkj says:

you mean leftist field

49. king ddd says:

sorry for being off topic, but rumors have it (as per tsn) that bogosian might be available (atlant is not shopping him however). anyways what i am saying is if he is available we should make run at him ( maybe ak, webber). he can replace hammer assuming we dont sign him. man our d would be marvelous

Markov-subbie

gill-gorges

bogosian-the wizzzz

ps. no offense to spacek and his fans, i love the guy and all and respect what he has done in the abscence of marky and gorges, but he is getting old

50. observer says:

How about assessing the most over-rated COACH/GM in history. Scotty Bowman whose sickening method of finagling him into every team he clearly sees is on the verge of excellence because of how the previous GM built them. Whether to Detroit, Pittsburgh, the Habs after abandonning the Blues and olast year with his son in Chicago. Now his praise is muted from all the hero worshippers! Blackhawks after all this maqn’s stupid moves this summer are now in 11th place in the west ans well out of the playoffs. From Cup champ someone else built to t5he team these Bowmans destroyed.

Where is the media praising them NOW?

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Igor Larionov, “The Professor” has no interest in being the GM of the Russian Hockey team for the 2014 Olympics because he was not offered true control of the team, he is however going to be a player agent in the NHL.

52. TheDagger says:

Lots of criticism for not re-signing Moore. But he got Halpern instead…

Halpern: 8-12-20; +5; $600,000

Moore: 9-9-18, -16; $1,100,000

Very similar players, not so similar salaries.

53. Say Ash says:

dealt halak to keep plekanec

54. BJ says:

Best moves: Plekanec signing, Wisniewski (if he stays beyond this year at a fair market value).

Medium moves: Halak for Eller & Schultz (based on Eller’s performance so far), Halpern (good value)

Worst moves: Not resigning Moore and letting Kostitsyn go (should have found a way to get him in the mold)

Should moves: Not enough muscle and a very poor 4th line.

Grade C-

Feb 12 – This deal was probably worked out before Gainey “stepped down”.  Moore got us into the playoffs (along with Halak) so I guess you have to say it’s a success.  Might have been able to get Moore for a 3rd instead of a 2nd.

March 4th – Who cares?

June 17th – Everyone knew that Montreal was going to trade a goalie.  In the grand scheme of things, this is a good deal.  Let’s give Eller another three years before we judge his role in the transaction.  Schultz was a throw-in and hasn’t done much in Hamilton.  It doesn’t matter, we traded a 7th rounder for a 1st rounder.

July 1st – back-up goalies are a dime a dozen.  No points for this move.

July 29th – SK74 was a marked man, mostly due to his own behaviour.  Regardless, we traded him for two guys who were UFAs.  Not a major mistake, but we still got beat on the deal.

Aug 2nd – If Picard wasn”t French, nobody would give a damn.

Sept 7th – This is when the bargains are found in a cap world.  Great short-term move.

Nov 11th – This mistake is all on Martin.  He chose Picard over OB and the rest is history.

Dec 28 – The beauty of this deal is that we got the Wiz for more than half a season instead of at the trade deadline.  G&G were brilliant in that they made the move before announcing that Gorges was done for the year.  Wait another two weeks, and the price goes up big time.

All in all, I don’t think you can complain about G&G’s moves for the past year.  I’d like a mulligan on OB, but the real deals are Eller and The Wiz and all we lost was our 2nd goalie and a 2nd round pick.  Let’s see what other teams give up at the deadline.  At least Eller and The Wiz aren’t 37 year old guys who are hanging on for dear life.

56. shiram says:

I’d settle for a scoring power forward that can say : merci

57. Max_a_million says:

2nd round picks are not as valuable as many people around here think by the way.  Only 1/4 of 2nd round picks every play a game in the NHL, let alone have any impact.  Acquiring a valauable player for even half a season is usually worth more than a 2nd round pick.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Halak is rated 28th in the league in save %age.

There are 30 teams in the league.

Almost all the trades were designed to move someone out of town, so it is hard to say he “lost” them. He sure couldn’t have gotten more for SK74.

59. SeriousFan09 says:

The Bowmans told Dale Tallon to sign irresponsible contracts and mess up the RFA situation so that they had to trade away so many good players to get back under the cap? Um sorry buddy but you’re off by a country mile on this. Tallons financial mismanagement triggered the collapse of the Hawks.

60. andrewberkshire says:

Uhhhh… Put the drink down, Habs_Guru.

61. fbkj says:

and I went on to tell her how I would wear her face like a mask as I do my little kooky dance

62. observer says:

you mean the 11th refreshment stand. has mush staler food than the first stand in the stadium where they used to eat at.

63. observer says:

as i said – the bowmans did a great job of completely destroying the best team in the league and did it within months.

64. Bill J says:

Your nothing if not predictable…

When I saw this thread’s headline title…. I instantly thought of you, frankly… I was a bit disappointed you were not the first to reply to it.

But you know what.  If you think Bowman is a hack who takes credit for previous people’s work.  You and I have nothing to talk about as we are not on the same level of Hockey knowledge.  Clearly one of us is out to lunch.

Oh BTW – say what you want about Bowman.

But the facts do not lie about him.  His teams WIN when they were NOT winning without him.

65. kempie says:

I think Borat said it best when he said “Wowoweewow!”

As long as he provokes “et le but” often he’ll do fine

67. Mattyleg says:

I don’t understand how you can think that the coach who got us to the Conference Finals last year is not good.

And I also don’t know why you think that Kirk Muller would be better. He has no experience, and as we saw with Carbo, inexperienced coaches are not usually a good idea.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

The 1st move was slipping rohypnol in your beer. The 2nd move can’t be mentioned here as this is a family oriented web site.

69. Mattyleg says:

That is really plumbing new depths of clownishness.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. king ddd says:

geez, NHL would destroy the opposing team. just imagin the centres crosby,malkin,sedin,kesler

wingers ov, stamkos, sedin. and on d you know the rest.

who is on the other team?

so close to the kool-aid stand

72. Mattyleg says:

Wiz is not horrendous defensively.

How can you possibly say that? He is solid attacking and defending.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. G-Man says:

Too early to tell Goatier’s impact.Save for 3 0r 4 players with the club, this is still Gainey’s team.

Goatier’s moves: trading Halak for 2 minor leaguers was a bs move, especially claiming slary cap woes. Signing Auld for a “cheap” million, when $650K max was due for a player of his, um, quality.

Eller may be a player sometime, but not right now. Schultz is a tough guy, so who knows? The Wiz is horrendous defensively but does play physical and can pass and shoot. That defensive weakness is too high a risk for him to get lots of minutes.

Other than that, the Habs remain a middling team that can’t score with any consistency. The D and goalie both rate an A this season, but the offensive forwards, and I mean that in both senses of the word, rate a D.

74. fbkj says:

*raises hand*

hiya, huge fan of the wiz here, but he is defensively suspect, just sayin

75. Mattyleg says:

Fair enough, he has his moments, but he is no MAB. All of our defensemen (and 95% of defensemen in the league) have suspect moments. Wiz gives very good value at both ends of the ice, for my money.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

76. fbkj says:

oh for sure hes no mab, hell my cat post surgery with a cone on his head had more defensive game than mab

77. andrewberkshire says:

Suspect I would agree with, he’s certainly no shutdown defender. However I would say he’s competent at a level way beyond the last 2/3 people who’ve had his job on this team. Those being Souray and MAB. Streit is better now, but he wasn’t when he was with the Canadiens. When Wiz is on the ice and the puck is in the defensive zone, I don’t really worry, although I’m not surprised when he makes the odd dumb turnover either.

78. kempie says:

Plus he can play with a bit of a nasty snarl-on.

79. fbkj says:

pfff not as snarly as streit

did i say that outloud?

80. andrewberkshire says:

Nope, out loud is in BOLD like Habs Professor.

81. andrewberkshire says:

…f— yeah.

82. habstrinifan says:

He is not the genius acquisition that many on this site has made it out to be either. His no better than ‘just above average’ defensive capability, his pending UFA status, and his projected salary makes this a questionable return for 2nd round pick

83. Mattyleg says:

PG seems to be doing fairly well so far.

Not totally happy with what we got from the Halak trade (although Eller’s still a work in progress), but getting rid of SK for a bag of pucks was fine by me. Casting Lappy off was a good call too, and same with O’B. A lot of those that were traded for are future prospects, and we look pretty secure for the present.

He gets good grades for me, but this is just a mid-term evaluation. Long-run results will show the real truth.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. awesomerino says:

As of right now, I’d give PG a B+.  I get the sentiment from a lot of fans that the jury’s still out on how well he did in the Halak trade, and to an extent they’re right, but I don’t think you can understate the effect that the vote of confidence, and status as the undisputed #1, has had on Price.  And that alone makes it a great deal.

85. habsfan reduxit says:

… I think he has done a credible job, in a business which is far more difficult than any fan realises. I think he did a good job shoring up the defence after Markov went down. Now I think he needs to secure a solid power forward (and Max Pac isn’t he). But as I hinted at above, that isn’t as easy as it seems.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

86. MTLForever says:

So i will be going to the Toronto vs Montreal game on the 24th, I just learned there’s a carey price signing and auction on the 25th, gorges eller moen and the wiz will be there also. tix go on sale tmrw at 1 on careys website. ill try to get mine :D

87. fbkj says:

thats actually really good value for $99 ticket

not that id go, i hate lineups

88. observer says:

Tough game for the Habs to win.

89. Danno says:

Scintillating NHL action on tonight on SportsNet. Leafs vs Isles.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

90. fbkj says:

hmmmm

go leafs, this endorsement is draft pick influenced

91. observer says:

Leafs will win their 3rd in a row as their playoff run contines. Reimer is the best Leafs goalie since Harry Lumley.

92. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Last time I watched a leaf game an ad came on and said “this broadcast brought to you by Molson 67″.  I don’t know why, but I laugh my a$$ off everytime I see it.

93. JohnBellyful says:

Nothing like giving a dull game some good ol’ spinnerama

94. JohnBellyful says:

It’s time to settle the Gomer controversy once and for all: Is he worthy of eulogy? Or euthanasia (which would put his critics out of their misery)?

Sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself. Put it this way: Just who is Scott Gomez?

His supporters say the Alaskan is an underappreciated, overpaid athlete who is key to Canadiens doing well down the stretch and into the playoffs.
    His detractors say the Anchor(age native) is a depreciated, overpaid athlete whose contributions to the team’s success are modest at best.

So what is it? After months of post and counter-post, a consensus remains elusive. And we can expect more of the same in the weeks to come, with old arguments on both sides being given a new gloss after every game or so.

Well, let’s bring the dialogue to a close, at least to the start of the post-season when everyone knows the real Gomez emerges (I got that from Wikipedia).

Simply put, have statements of ‘facts’ agreed upon by all disputants and then close off debate. Gomez supporters enumerate his strengths, Gomez bashers his flaws. They become the benchmark for all future commentary by each side. By the end of the week nothing further will be admitted into the court of public opinion until the end of the season, and then only if it is something altogether new and not in evidence at the time the list of pros and cons was put together.
    Such as learning Gomez was playing with one lung or sniffing glue between periods.

That’s it. Simply complete the following in such a way as to require no guesswork on the part of posters as to where you stand. Then it’s mum’s the word on the subject for the rest of the season so we can turn our attention to an issue that’s been too long ignored: Why is Larry Carrière getting a pass?

Scott Gomez ____________ the Canadiens because [in point form]:

95. joeybarrie says:

Fact….. The Montreal Canadiens have only won ONE game without Scott Gomez in the last 2 seasons. They have won MANY without Markov… Not to say Gomez is better than Markov, but it does say something… With exception to the ones with the blinders on who will say Gomez is useless.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

96. slapshot777 says:

Scott Gomez, is a player that the Habs need for reasons other than what everyone continually points out, his size of contract. Gomez brings a veteran presence, for younger players and even players in their prime. He is a Cup winner, who knows what it takes come playoff time to get the job done. He is a play maker NOT a goal scorer. He wants the puck all the time, he doesn’t shy away from anything, no matter how big or bad a player is.

Gomez, is a systems player which is what JM loves about this guy and Gomez  tries to instill this in his teammates, along with other veterans like Gionta, Gill, Moen who have won the Cup as well he is a team guy first. With Gomez, he  doesn’t spell team with an “I”.Right now PG is looking for one or two players, either on offense or defense that has the same demeanor.

Gomez, may never score 20 goals again in his career, but all the other intangilbles is what makes a difference with the players on this team. This team is a team that cares about each other, which is what you need to make it past rounds in the playoffs. When Gomez was out, it was not a coinsidence that the team didn’t win. Forget the contract and get past that and look at the facts. If Gomez was making 4-5 million per season people on here would love him. The only reason to bash Gomez is the contract.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

97. punkster says:

Scott Gomez is valuable to the Canadiens because I say so.

Larry Carriere is getting a pass because the media has completely forgotten he exists. Have you tried to find any media reports mentioning him since last July? He’s a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. He is, indeed, the real issue we should be discussing. I would call upon the great minds of the HI/O commentariat to cast far and wide for any tidbit of info that can be unearthed on this figure from the shadowlands.

***Subbang!!!***

98. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Are you off your med’s again Tony?

99. observer says:

OK, since Turk Broda.

100. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I got nothin against the kid, and hope he has a great career, but he’s gonna have to play more than a dozen games in the NHL before I declare him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

101. fbkj says:

that and the leafs are currently in a 1 game win streak

102. andrewberkshire says:

Love. That. Gif.

103. kempie says:

LMFAO – Thanks man, I forgot about that guy. Man what a train wreck.

104. kempie says:

Yeah, ya get those guys for sure and it’s really sad. But a good friend of mine and a very smart man I know is a huge leaf fan – like huge. He’s a very smart hockey guy and we have a very deep mutual respect when it comes to hockey. He’s just a lifer and he’s in for the long haul no matter what. He’s one of the funniest guys I know and generally a super-happy guy – except when it comes to hockey. But he’s a realist and he knows what he’s into. Hey, he lived through the Ballard years and he’s still there so props to him.

105. andrewberkshire says:

Sometimes I wonder if Observer/Tony242/Habs_Guru/_Bleu_Blanc_et_Rouge_ is actually just Bushkorn:

106. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I think that dude is a good representation of your average leaf fan.  Loud, obnoxious, and stupid.

107. fbkj says:

as much as id love to agree, i gotta disagree, i have quite a few friends who are leafs fans and they are all straight up cool mofo’s…

108. andrewberkshire says:

It’s true, my best friend is a Leafs fan. There’s just a small part of his brain that doesn’t work, it only relates to hockey. He likes respectable teams in other sports, Liverpool FC for example.

109. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Really? I have a few buddies who are Leaf fans from Ontario and I have to say they’re hard to deal with.  They are truly delusional, always saying how the habs suck and putting down Quebecer’s.  They live in a world all unto themselves.  One of them refused to believe I was from Quebec because I’m an english dude.  Every year in the offseason and the preseason I have to hear from these guy’s how great the Leafs are and how this year is the year because of some aquisition they just got, then the season starts and they slowly fade off into the corner because the Leafs are garbage. There are some other things I could bring up, but I don’t want to start offending all the people from Ontario.

110. fbkj says:

oh you have different personalities across the board and we can only reach our conclusions based on our own experiences, i have met jerks in toronto as well, just have a hard time generalizing based on my experiences

111. joeybarrie says:

So here we go with the crazy opinions.

Eller is a career AHLer.

Wiz is a horrible defender.

Our forwards rate a D

OByrne is a great defender

Every deal PG completed the Habs have been the loser

Gomez (the guy who who is leading our team in points in the last 25) is apparently a third line player.

Unless Montreal is in first place in the league by at least 5 points there will be very little credit to anyone. Unless they win the Cup 6 times in a row, no one will have done a good job.

I give PG an A…. WHY? its simple. Our team has seen out two most important defenders go down and are out for the season. We currently have our top scorer out and despite this out team is still winning and is safely in 6th place. This team has exceeded expectations, and continue to prove they can compete against any team.

Realistically I will judge how good a job he has done at the end of next season. You gotta give a guy 3 years to actually do something with a team. Its true what they say when they say BG has put this team together. Most of the players here are his doing. But PG has put his stamp on the team and we are doing well.

Can’t tell me we wouldn’t be competing for the Stanley Cup if we had Markov, Gorges and Cammi in the best of health.

Next season with all the players on this team we are ONE peice short of the puzzle.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

112. MTLForever says:

well i am coming for few days from ontario so i figure i should do it since im not back in montreal often

113. MTLForever says:

thanks, hopefully we win the game thats the most important thing. ill be painting my face!

114. WestHab says:

So far so good I say. I’m especially happy about the aquasistion of the Wiz kid in our time of need. Bring on one more d man with experience before the deadline and I’m happy.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

115. dasbooth says:

Im there with Price Jersey on and Cherry sucks sign a blazin’ – Apparently The Cove accross Crowchild is the place to be. Join the facebook group Habs Fans in Clagary to coordinate
    “Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

116. yathehabsrule says:

LeClerc’s time line is a little off, but he did correct the date (June 29) on the Kostitsyn deal.

We’ve had an “approval rating” poll up since this morning, and thus far Gauthier is sitting at 77%, with 18% undecided.

The 2009-10 season post Feb 8 was basically maintaining what Gainey had left. After that though, he has done a great job of managing the franchise and making the moves needed.

And for those still doubting the Halak deal, and there are clearly several of you out there, without that deal there would be no Tomas Plekanec in Montreal.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

117. Bill says:

I can’t believe people are still parroting that line about how it could only be either Plekanec or Halak. That was a convenient justification. Other teams have found creative ways to accomodate having the players they really want.

Full Breezer 4 Life

118. MTLForever says:

so they said we are buyers and gauthier will dangle prospects/picks to get what we need

mckenzie said we need another Dman first, softer trade with draft pick, said phillips from ott would be good for us

119. havok says:

Sorry if this was already covered but anyone hear about this? LOL

120. joeybarrie says:

I am assuming you are not aware of the MolsonCoors Brewing company’s latest success….

The company didn’t have 3 billion in revenue, 6.1 billion in sales and a 5 year profit margin of 6.9% to 12.3% when Hartland Molson was in charge. (not to take anything away from him, he was a GREAT business man and Senator) In fact Hartland may have had the greatest growth in Molson’s 215 year history.

Geoffrey E. Molson, Director of Molson Coors since May 2009. Since December 2009, Mr. Molson has served as Chairman and a General Partner of the CH Group Limited Partnership, owner of the Montr?al Canadiens Hockey Club, Evenko and The Bell Center. Before assuming this position, Mr. Molson served as Vice-President of Marketing for Molson, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company, from 2006. He previously served as Vice President of Sales and Marketing from 2004 to 2005, Vice President of Quality and Distributor Development from 2001 to 2004, and Key Account Sales Manager ? Canada and Director of Trade Marketing from 1999 to 2001, for Molson USA, also a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company. He was a senior consultant at CSC Consulting (formerly The Kalchas Group), a strategy consultancy firm, from 1996 to 1999. Prior to this he worked in media at The Coca-Cola Company. Mr. Molson holds an MBA from Boston Business School and a BA from St. Lawrence University. Mr. Molson serves on the board of directors of The Molson Foundation which supports philanthropic initiatives across Canada, as well as St. Mary?s Hospital Foundation. He currently represents MCBC as Ambassador, representing the Molson family in key strategic areas of the business.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

121. samTHEman says:

can anyone confirm that the canoe SLAM report about subban and gill is made-up? the last thing the team needs is drama in the locker room right before facing division rivals.

122. kevin m says:

Nicely done!

123. joeybarrie says:

Surprised no one pointed out MAB is a -4 tonight. so far.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

124. j2w4habs25 says:

okay – I dont know if anyone heard this silly romour yet but I was told from acouple friends this evening that they heard maybe Brad Richards was a possibility…. can anyone confirm that…. because I cant find it anywhere on the internet.

Carey Price #31

125. slapshot777 says:

Great night tonite for the Habs;

2 Carolina vs  New Jersey 3  (OT)

4 Columbus vs Pittsburgh 1

2 San Jose  vs  Washington 2

5 Toronto  vs  Islanders 3    ( nothing game)

2 St. Louis  vs  Florida 1

7 Buffalo  vs  Tampa Bay 3  (5 min left to play)

Bergereon was about to get his arse handed to him only for the officials,lol.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

126. observer says:

Well it now looks like the Leafs will be buyers at the deadline as they are threatening to finish as the 6th, 7th or 8th seed.

127. observer says:

san jose won 2-0 after shutting out the bruins as well

128. observer says:

ok i got carried away with this great leafs run of 4 wins in 5 games by burkes boys, but putting it another way – they are only 4 games out of a playoff spot.

129. Storm Man says:

Back drinking the Kool-aid tonight I see.

130. Duracell3 says:

Jay Sean told me 2012 will not be the end of the world.

131. Rudy says:

I wonder hoe much Geoff Molson will be involved in the nexr few weeks since he will be the GM come July 1. So even more involved than just being an owner.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

132. joeybarrie says:

You know what. If Bettman could get paid SCALE for the games he wins, I would take him in a heartbeat. As much of a DOUCHE I think he is, and a hinderance on everything great about Hockey, he has made the NHL ALOT of money in his time here.

NHL revenue has increase over 500% in the last 5 years.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

133. SeriousFan09 says:

Molson is taking over as President on July 1st, not GM. I doubt he’s going to stick his hand in, ownership should trust the GM to do his job or he’s got the wrong GM.

134. joeybarrie says:

I never understood people who were saying Molson is going to be making Hockey decisions. He is too smart of a business man to get himself overly involved.

Why do people think he is going to get so involved??? And even though you are obviously kidding about Molson being the GM ( I hope anyways ) i don’t understand why people consider this an actual possibility.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

135. Bill says:

You lost me at Chris Neil. He contributes nothing useful to a hockey team. I like a tough, skilled player as much as the next guy, but Neil is lacking the “skilled” part, besides which he is kind of a clown and a showman who tries to make himself seem like more than he is, which is a reasonably effective light-heavyweight puncher. Well, punching doesn’t win you games in the NHL: see “Maple Leafs, Toronto” in the encyclopaedia for an exhibit of just how far pugnacity and truculence will take you!

Phillips, okay. But I wouldn’t part with a roster player or a decent prospect to rent his services, personally. If the Habs were super-close to Cuo-contending, maybe, but as a potential dark-horse team, it’s no worth it.

I’d just as soon sit tight and see what happens, build for next year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

136. andrewberkshire says:

Arpon Basu has been calling that report BS all day.

137. habs001 says:

leafs beat atlanta yest and won on the road today at islanders..we cannot use back to back vs islanders thurs…

138. Rudy says:

Sorry, meant President, not GM.

139. Bill says:

What a regrettable moment that was for Burke, who is actually an intelligent, educated man. His love for the limelight and media attention made him open his mouth and vomit out that litany of idiotic macho-babble, and it has wound up undermining everything he ever accomplished in hockey and defined him forever as a meathead. The raging lack of success the pugnacious, truculent team he built has experienced has made him look like an amateur and a fool.

Full Breezer 4 Life

140. habstrinifan says:

The story as reported at that site seems credible.

141. HabFanSince72 says:

And I never understood people who say he’s a smart businessman.

I mean, maybe he is, but he inherited his fortune.

142. HabFanSince72 says:

I expect Pittsburgh to drop down the standings now.

143. habstrinifan says:

I think that we can get them both at a reasonable price and that Chris Neil ,despite your misgivings, will make this team better.

144. Landof10000lakesHab says:

You might want to mention also that Spacek is an over 35 contract that is signed through the end of next season. He comes back period, there is no other viable option. With the salary involved, he needs to play #4 Dman minutes and a poor return as #5 Dman minutes.

Agree with needing one more Dman.

145. notbigbird says:

Everybody does know that Timo is not being serious, right? Right?

146. habstrinifan says:

If you realistically consider the money and assets PG has at his disposal, the desirability of Canadiens’ players/prospects and the needs of our team, I challenge anyone to come up with two better trade scenarios than the following.

1) Chris Neil/Chris Phillip for daft picks and prospects.

or

2 Antoine Vermette/Rotislave Klesla for draft picks/prospects.

Their salaries/cap hit are comparable and manageable. The Columbus pair is younger and more talented. The Ottawa pair is older, tougher. Both Ottawa and Columbus may be ready to lose salary in return for prospects and draft picks.

Either pair will fit in absolutely nicely with this team and fill the MOST PRESSING NEEDS of the team.

I sure hope PG is focussing on Columbus and Ottawa as trading partners.

Forget Weiss and Reghr etc etc.

Heck I am even beginning to say either pair would be a better match for the Habs right now than IGINLA if we were to get him… and I love Iginla. But being able to add both to offense and defense in one deal would be fantastic.

I see no better trade that can be made than one for either pair. And on the surface it seems highly likely that they can be had.

GO FOR IT PG!

147. Exit716 says:

You mean like how Mark Streit was only a fourth line scrub for Carbo?

148. ABHabsfan says:

Eric Brewer should be the target; 31 years old, top 4 d-man, $4.2 M, UFA this summer and the Blues aren’t making the play-offs

149. habstrinifan says:

What’s the difference between calling someone an a$$hole and a f**** idiot?

And Apron Basu, who seems to ba a favourite on this site, makes sure that he reports in an inoffensive manner… thus retaining his access to the coach and dressing room.

I saw the discussion on anti-chambre. Unfortunately my french isnt good enough. I believe antichambre quicker than I believe Basu. Anyone else seen it and what was their take on it all.

150. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Agree with your comments.

Imagine a Habville where the GM was constantly in the news, expressing views on anything and everything, and describing necessary team attributes with the following:

“We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That’s how our teams play,”. “I make no apologies for that. Our teams play a North American game. We’re throwbacks. It’s black-and-blue hockey. ” (Brian Burke – TML GM)

It could be worse…

151. ooder says:

hahahaha

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

152. kempie says:

I may be down with something like that. Depends on your definition of “picks and prospects”. I wouldn’t offer Leblanc and a 1st but maybe a Maxwell, Boyd & a 3rd. Iginla isn’t going to happen, as much as I’d love to see it. I’d hate to see what we’d have to give up for him. Gotta say though, I really like the idea of Reghr. At some point in the future, I think PG will have to envision a serious cup run in the cards and convert some top-shelf prospects into an Ignila but not this year.

153. ooder says:

carolina -8th seed = 59 pts

leafs 12th seed = 51 pts

work on ur math buddy ;)

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

154. Propwash says:

Toronna doesn’t have a sniff at the playoffs. Dream on bud.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

155. iwardhabs says:

Quite right! (shudder)

156. iwardhabs says:

Very true, re: the difficult decisions.  Great pic of FN too.

157. joeybarrie says:

Very weird night in the NHL…

Pitts losing 3-0 to Jackets… UPDATE 3-1

NJ and CAR tied at 1-1 (ok not so weird but I expected more out of Car and NJ has to lose soon) without Brodeur

Toronto winning…. NUFF SAID

CAPS and SAN JOSE  tied at ZERO in the third

Tampa winning 3-1 with no production from Stamkos.

HALAK is back with St. Louis tied at 1. Jaro making 21 saves so far. Good to see he is back and doing well.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

158. kempie says:

Alright, I’m just gonna say it:

Rejean Houle

Lest we forget. I think PG is doing a very fine job. This team is in a very good position to make A LOT of noise in 2-3 years.

159. habfan1969 says:

My main beef with Gauthier was last summer, when he indicated he hadn’t made any effort to propose a deal with Chicago, who we knew was going to get rid of Dustin Buyfligen (among other talent). I know it may have been a long shot anyway, but given the number of guys we later let go or traded for nothing, plus the depth in prospects, it’s not that big a stretch to think we could have landed him. It was crystal clear during the playoffs that this guy was a presence on D that just about any team could use, and if cap space for D was an issue maybe Space could’ve been moved or something.

Supposedly he would have also known that Gorges was playing injured and would have to have that ACL fixed sooner or later. It was clear last summer that the D corps was a risky mix of too old – too young, prone to being thrown into crisis with a couple injuries, OB on a short leash etc.

Snagging The Wiz was a great move but he’s going to have to pull at least one more if we want our D geezers to survive the rest of the season and 20-plus playoff games. With Space, Gill and Hammer not likely returning next year, and all the cap space free from Gorges-Markov and sundry LTIR credits, I would hope Gauthier goes all out for the best available D that fits, even if they’re UFA come July.

I don’t think we have to change much up front — I’m of the opinion that our current D is actually worse than it looks because of Martin’s system and having to have forwards cover them so much, and conversely, the system and need for forwards to play back so much makes our offense look WORSE than it actually is.

If we can solidify the back end and let our forwards open up with confidence a bit more, we’ll be real contenders in the stretch.

IMO this is Go-Go’s first big test as GM (I consider the Halak trade a no-brainer) — Gainey rarely managed much in the deadline rush, hopefully Go-Go will do better.

160. Mark C says:

re: Gorges, PG knew Josh had a damaged knee, but it was the medical recommendation (something Josh would have had to agree with) to not have surgery until the condition worsened. This happens with a lot of athletes, if the injury is playable any surgery will be put off until needed.

161. kempie says:

You’re right, Burkie is a smart guy. Unfortunately he often relies on a strategy of “if I just keep talking, eventually my brain will kick in” and it doesn’t serve him very well at all.

162. zaq007 says:

The only thing I would trade for would be a healthy Gorges and Markov :P

163. observer says:

And playoffs! Penguins though at trade deadline even when well stocked always add more talent – expect the same from them this year.

164. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I just read it, they use direct quotes from Gill.

165. iwardhabs says:

The distinction between “Gainey’s Team” and “Gauthier’s Team” is overdrawn.  BG and PG have worked very closely together, and have continued to do so, both before and after Gainey stepped down (BG remains in the organization as an advisor).

They are cut from the same managerial cloth: long-term planning, emphasis on macrosatistical analysis, fortune-500 human resources practices, and zero deference to pundits, media mavens, fantasy-league bloggers, and fantasy-league bloggers who have somehow managed to obtain press credientials.  They both base hockey personnel decisions on the counsel of figures who have intimate knowledge of the game.

A general manager’s legacy is not reducible to a litany of transactions to be parsed statistically and without regard to context.  The GM is also in charge of hockey operations in their entirety, which includes everything from practice facilities (BG has not received enough credit for pushing for the Brossard complex), hockey personnel matters, and the entire development infastructure.

What makes me most hopeful about this organization’s future is the commitment BG and PG have shown to combining profesional organizational acumen with serious hockey knowledge.

166. joeybarrie says:

Of course, I was surprised they were not all over here when MAB had 2 assists in his last game…

So i gues it goes both ways.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

167. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I say fire Gauthier and bring in Burke! No, even better, bring in Bettman!

And with that perspective on things, PG is looking pretty good.

168. SeriousFan09 says:

Keith Richards just took a look at what this guy’s doing and said “no thanks, that’s too heavy for me.”

169. _Habsoloutly_ says:

hehehe

170. slapshot777 says:

Thank-you, was just going to correct it.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

171. observer says:

toronto is now just 6 points out of the playoffs and on a winning run wit the best young goalie in the nhl reimer.

172. HabFanSince72 says:

Very good points.

And also the willingness to make the  difficult decisions.

173. HabFanSince72 says:

They would need   40 points from their last 30 games.

174. Bugs says:

I got a coupla friends tell me 2012 is no myth. But what the hell do they know about the reliability of Aztec prognostication? Or Mayan. Or whatever the hell they were.

And what kinda OTHER friends can confirm or deny that sorta thing anyway, knowumsayin?

175. HabFanSince72 says:

Agree with most of your points but:

1. Big Buff was playing as a forward for Chicago. Remember they thought he wasn’t good enough to play D.

2. Gorges took the medical advice which for all we know was correct at the time.

176. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I hope they do make the playoffs, I really don’t want to see Boston get any better due to Burkies incompetence.  It would also be wicked cool to watch them get bounced in the first round.

177. BJT says:

haha! That actually made me laugh out loud!

It’s completely clear you are,

A) a leafs fan, and:

B) a tool,

but regardless, Reimers’ stats are hardly different from Prices’ at the beginning of the season (which have been sustained over 40 games), and believe me, Reimers stats will shrivel, smoosh, and die like a prune as soon as the massive suckitude of the laffs comes raining down upon him like a beetle on Burkie’s chair.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’ ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

178. kempie says:

Arpon Basu claims to have been in the room at the time and that he has the exchange on tape. He said that Gill didn’t call PK an a$$hole. He said he told him he was a f***ing idiot. He also said that they were goofing around and that this story is a steaming pile of QMI poop. No story here.

179. joeybarrie says:

MAB in the WORST FIGHT EVER….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

180. _Habsoloutly_ says:

LOL, the ref’s just saved MAB’s life!!  hahaha

181. SeriousFan09 says:

Screen cap of Boucher’s face from current game, likely his reaction when MAB asked for more ice time.

182. kevin m says:

MAB ready to duke it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what we needed on the Habs That elusive “toughness”

LOL

183. samTHEman says:

Why the **** would Dallas trade their best player (21 goals, 38 assists, 59 points in 53 games)? They lead their division for Gods sakes. Why does this rumour keep comming up?

However, i would definately cum a load on my laptop if he was a Canadiens before deadline :)

184. slapshot777 says:

Was noticing that as well JB. Where is Timo and Shaker, I guess this was the kind of play they were raving about from MAB. Lol

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

185. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed. Philips and Neil are over the hill and were never that good to begin with. Trading prospects for either one is a waste.

186. punkster says:

FYI…we’re closer. I responded on the other thread.

***Subbang!!!***

187. kevin m says:

BUF & TB veeeeery interesting game

188. billylove says:

Refs screwing up in Tampa Bay big time. It’s getting very nasty with Sabres making a big comeback.

189. Bill says:

Agreed.

Full Breezer 4 Life

190. billylove says:

First time I’ve seen three on three this year!

191. samTHEman says:

roloson was outside his crease…plus it really didnt seem to me like a delibarate trip

192. _Habsoloutly_ says:

lol, 5-3 Buff

193. samTHEman says:

roloson couldnt stop a beach ball right now. 6-3! what a come back!!!

194. _Habsoloutly_ says:

wow, T-Bay is falling to pieces.  6-3 now.

195. billylove says:

It doesn’t have to be deliberate.

196. punkster says:

Yep, that Boucher. Workin’ his magic.

(ahh, couldn’t resist that cheap shot ;)

***Subbang!!!***

197. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He went down wayyyyy to quick on that last one.

198. SeriousFan09 says:

Arpon Basu called it a load of crap, it’s just more sensationalist nonsense from a Quebecor group.

199. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Where’s Timo?!?!

200. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s nothing tangible about Brad Richards to MTL and besides, trade rumours and MTL just don’t work out. The actual trades never resemble anything like what the rumours suggest.

201. _Habsoloutly_ says:

In my dreams. Would love to see him in les tricolore.

202. Bill says:

I would not be willing to say someone is doing a “very fine job” just because they are doing better than the worst brain-damaged monkey who ever held the position.

Have some standards!

Full Breezer 4 Life

203. habbs9 says:

trade AK46 for ?

204. king ddd says:

ak and maxwell for backes and a pick( 3rd or 4th)

205. TomNickle says:

If he doesn’t re-sign Wisniewski I think it’s fair to say he doesn’t like 2nd round picks.  Or perhaps he considers them borderline 3rd rounders and likes the value he gets back when he trades them.

206. SeriousFan09 says:

Leclerc forgot Plekanec’s new contract, that was kind of a significant move.

207. habs03 says:

B+, trade a few picks but also got prospected. Good all around job. Greatest part for me is that he isn’t worried about what the fans think (Halak trade) and what the media thinks (Laps trade).

208. HabFanSince72 says:

Price, Cammi and Gomez for Malkin, Fleury and Letang.

209. MTLForever says:

fleury isnt that great so thats a jokeee

210. king ddd says:

fleury is so overrated, so what if hes won the cup any goalie would have won the cup with the great 87 and gino on fire

211. MTLForever says:

tune in to tsn tonight for countdown to trade centre with duthie, dreger and mckenzie

theyll also look at all the canadian teams specifically.

212. shiram says:

Starts with an A, ends whith an hole. I guess you cannot post that here.

As per The Rules : Habs Inside/Out encourages lively debate, but there is a zero-tolerance policy regarding racism, profanity and behaviour that we deem to be offensive

The post in question was about an blurb about Gill saying PK was an a-hole, as PK had left all his gear all over the floor.

213. matraque says:

Why was my post deleted?

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

214. nunacanadien says:

Hey everyone before your crap on JM, wasn’t it also Gauthier’s style and Gainey’s successful style before they came to Montreal with the old trap game?  The only problem with a trap game is if your players are so small they can’t make it into the zone.  And teams like Philadelphia have us figured out already.  Just check the quarterbacks and defend the net, something which easy to do if all the other teams players are the size of Gomez and Gionta.  At least taking Gionta away from Gomez has forced him to score.  I would imagine Gomez is now living on borrowed time anyway, but good like finding a team to take him and like Koivu will probaby be gone at the end of his contract.

215. observer says:

1 Philadelphia 53 35 13 5 75
    2 Tampa Bay 55 33 17 5 71
    3 Boston 53 30 16 7 67
    4 Pittsburgh 55 34 17 4 72
    5 Washington 55 29 16 10 68
    6 Montreal 54 30 19 5 65
    7 NY Rangers 56 29 23 4 62
    8 Carolina 54 26 21 7 59

Step out of your Habs fans shoes and look at the above picture as if you had no bias. Comparing this situation to that of last season and for each and every of these 8 teams who will probably all be in the playoffs this season. If Habs last year with what I thought was a much weaker team got to game 5 of the Conference finals, this year’s team has got to have a great shot of at least equaling that if not much more. Pittsburgh and Washington no longer are the teams they were last year. Habs won without Markov towards end of the playoffs, I really think Gauthier will bolster this squad this month. Price has filled Halak’s shoes. This team has won at a winning clip this season, just need Gorges replaced. Do you think this team will be a serious threat in the playoffs? I do.

216. mrstewart61 says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with your final result, but to say that your SUBJECTIVE numbers are reality, is misguided.  The numbers don’t speak at all, you determined what they would say.  I could come up with the same result that Gauthier is doing well, but the numbers I ASSIGN may come out to a +15 -14.  However, Gauthier certainly is not worthy of a failing grade.  Cheers.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

217. HabFanSince72 says:

like a dog …

218. JD_ says:

Sweet Mother of Christ! My sources are tellin’ me Gill tried to stab PK with a skate-blade shiv.

Forget everythin’, it’s time to fall apart. No more rice puddin’. And forget the Jell-O®, you nervous nellies, everythin’ is comin’ apart at the seams. Pro athletes never eff around. It just isn’t right.

This team is over.

Over I tells ya.

Over.

219. SeriousFan09 says:

Sensationalize a story, you get more page hits, sell more papers and the like. It’s not about whether or not the story is accurate but if the stories sells in this day and age.

220. deuce6 says:

Do they have a law in MTL against plagiarism? lol

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

221. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ok, that cleared it up for me.  I love it when Gill say’s “I don’t give him noogies”  lol

222. andrewberkshire says:

See and I heard that PK was the one doing the stabbing. Gill told him one too many times that he needed to respect him, and he just went ballistic.

223. Da Hema says:

Oh, will you people get your facts straight. Gill simply waved his Pantswetter (with pants-shitting attachment) at Subban.

224. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s also what we call context in reference to the story. Full story from Arpon Basu

225. deuce6 says:

Thanks for that..Man, the MTL media love to twist crap around..Why??

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

226. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m more inclined to believe Arpon, but they used quotes from Gill himself.  So I’m a little confused.

227. observer says:

TSN calls Leafs “resurgent”! – – – – – – “You can see we’re sniffing a little closer and closer,” said Colby Armstrong.

228. Da Hema says:

Curious phrasing by Armstrong.

229. deuce6 says:

ArponBasu

Sitting down to write #Habs Gill/Subban blog, but first no one called anyone an a-hole. The term used was “f’n idiot.” I have it on tape.

—————-

This was posted on his twitter account..Sorry, he didn’t call him an asshole, but a f’n idiot..Looks like it is true, to me..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

230. The Teacher says:

Wow, the language skills of the writers at this site are PATHETIC

Check it out

231. andrewberkshire says:

Oh, Sportsnet… That’s two awesome.

232. Duracell3 says:

OH I SEE

233. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, their editing standards have finally matched those they hold to employ play-by-play announcers.

234. Duracell3 says:

I don’t see the plagiarism here.

235. Duracell3 says:

nick kypereos is an NHL legend and brilliant commentator, your argument is invalid.

236. andrewberkshire says:

1) Kypreos doesn’t do play-by-play

2) He’s an idiot.

237. SeriousFan09 says:

We are talking about the same guy who basically suggested that Phil Kessel going last in the ASG Draft was a crime against God and all of Humanity in a Sportsnet article right? ALso, being a professional boxer on skates does not an NHL legend make either.

238. Duracell3 says:

46 goals in 442 games. LEGENDARY

239. The Cat says:

You know theyre going to drive Subban out of town eventually, it reminds me of Stephane Richer…

240. Bugs says:

Our players are on a winning team. Apart Neal, those you mention in relation are not. No pressure on them.

241. LizardKing1967 says:

OK, what’s wrong with this picture…….

Facts:

Gionta (our leading goal scorer): 19 goals.

Our other “natural goalscorers” Cammy, Kostits, Pouliot, all have less than him.

Some players around the league with MORE goals than Gionta: James Neal, Dallas; Matt Moulson, Isles; Stafford, Buffalo; Vanek; Buffalo.

Now, remember, Gionta has the MOST goals on our team. If we look at Cammy and AK46 (our next BIG  TRUE goalscorers- or so they should be as we are told), they have LESS goals than: Kulemin, Toronto; MacArthur, Toronto; David Jones, Colorado; Grabner, Isles; Fisher, Ottawa; and DEFENCEMAN Brent Burns, Minny.

Now, not taking anything away from these players on the other teams, as what they have accomplished up to now, I say kudos to them. They deserve it. What my question is, WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR GOALSCORERES??????

Well, I can tell you: Jaqes Martin, that’s what. His “system” sucks. He doesn’t let the players play. The trap (unless you are in NJ) went out with the “old” NHL. This “new” NHL is run and gun, and we have the goaltender to support it. As long as Price continues his play, we can open up the game. We don’t open up and he still saves 20 shots every third period. Wow, JM’s “puck possession” really works, eh? Shit JM, give it the gas man!

Discuss…

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

242. kordic says:

I will use the plus/minus format for a REALISTIC view of what he has done.

1.D.Moore +2  , Dom played great for the Habs, especially when it counts. Idiot didn’t resign him.

2. Dags -1 . This guy Is playing a lot and doing pretty good for St. lous. Aaron who?

3. Halak -5 . Jaro for Eller, Ian who? Jaro Is a number 1, I like Eller, but my dad could have got more.

4. Auld -1 . I’m being nice, if Price goes down, we are F@%@@D.

5. S.kost -2. For Nothing?

6. A. Picard +2. This guy is slow and not very good, but he is saving our A$% right now.

7. J. Halpern +5. Great pickup!  Pkay, faceoffs, Love this guy.

8. Obi. -1. Obi is playing good in Colorado. We’ll see what we got someday, i guess. French

9. J Wiz. +7. R u Kidding? Steal!!!!!! I hope he signs, if he doesn’t -9.

10. Lap +4. Lap was garbage, so even if nothing comes back at least he’s gone. Future Reno depot employee.

11. Pleks/Price +10. Pleks is not the best, but he does more than expected. Price, will win the Stanley Cup one day, I hope?????? it’s with us.

Gauthier +30 – 9.  The numbers speak for themselves.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

243. VancouverHab says:

According to LeClerc, Bob Gainey left a mess.

Well, (a.) more than a few NHL teams would love to have a simmilar mess, (b.) last season’s playoffs weren’t a mess, (c.) we didn’t have to play crap for years — hello Vancouver — to get high draft picks.

244. oshawahabsfan says:

I’d like someone to explain to me why the name David Clarkson has been mentioned as a player to trade for. He of these blistering stats: 8G, 4A, 12Pts -20  I have to ask, what are y’all smoking?

245. deuce6 says:

Habs’ Gill says PK is an a$$hole:

I love the kid and he is a great talent, but he needs to grow the F up…

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

246. SeriousFan09 says:

Sensationalized report from a hack news group. Quebecor is a terrible source for actual news.

A real Habs beat reporter, Arpon Basu slapped this down earlier in the day.

247. Chucking in from T.O. says:

Has anyone got a link to a good site that explains what options are available with Markov and Georges gone for the year. How much cap space is freed up, what type of player/contract becomes attractive, who fits the bill, what is the downside, etc?

Thanks.

Ch EJ

248. habsnyc says:

gm deals rarely trade today for today. they are trade today for tomorrow or tomorrow for today.  most deals cannot be evaluated for at least a year.  the team has tinkered at the margin. he has not traded for any of the top dozen roster positions on the team.  the bottom eight are only meaningful for the elite teams.

the gm has not put his imprint on this team.  a gm’s job is to underpay for talent and lock it up for the long term.  there are few if any underpaid players on this team and the underpaid players have short term contracts.  all the long term contracts are on offense and the defense/netminding is the strength of the team.  16 roster players are unsigned for 2011-12.  this offseason will be a better measure of management.

249. habstrinifan says:

Very very good comparison. Richer  and SK … two players I think the habs could have employed a psychologist and counselor to help chart thru difficult personal life and a coach who basically spat on them.

And two players with amazing excitement in their game.

250. Bill J says:

LMAO @ this!!!

I will be using that one, thanks :)

251. christophor says:

there is so much wrong with this.

252. joeybarrie says:

Well to be honest, circumstance, is one of the reasons. HOWEVER, people look past all of Gomez’ talents. Because he is a player who does ALOT very well, but isn’t an EXCELLENT scorer they ONLY see his salary.

I could list all of the great things he brings to this team, like experience in winning and playing a defensive style game, but it would be a waste of time to the ones with the bilnders….

That stat stays on its own. In the playoffs last season the Habs won every single game Gomez put up points in.

People say he is a thrid line center to insult him. The fact is he is an EXCELLENT second line center, and our success over the last 2 seasons has shown that.

I’ll say it again, NO INJURIES and we are a team that can compete for the Cup. Gomez is an overpaid BIG part of that. We are better off with him, cause we are not getting any of the guys who are worth his salary.

Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc etc. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE PLAYING FOR THE HABS…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

253. JohnBellyful says:

You need to take your argument one step further in order to make it on the list (I’m guessin’ the pro side). Namely, what is the cause of this fact? What, in particular, does he do that the team misses so much when he’s out of the lineup? Is this an (un)fair statement:

Gomez helps the Canadiens because it’s a fact they can’t win … without his locker room banter? (Feel free to edit.)

254. Bugs says:

Next story slated is the deconstruction of clichéd yet nonsensical hockey remarks. Should be in shortly.

Taste test: Num 12: “He’s a great guy both on and off the ice.” Yeah? How is he in BOTH situations? Like outside in a hailstorm for example? Is he a great guy then?

Makes no sense at all. Think about it.

255. Bugs says:

Consider the change in Stormy’s tone when he discovered you weren’t taking that shot either. I like his…subtlety, me.

Worst part is, though I’ve no reason to, I actually like that kid. Argues out of pride too much and often loses the plot of threads. Tired-out lamenesses abound, but, impressively, he never crosses the line into vileness. Furthermore, he knows his team, knows what’s goin across the League in relation to us, and most importantly, he’s passionate. Gotta respect that.

That’s why I still reply to him. Reckon I can take a little nonsense if he actually takes the time to address some to me. Means he cares, no? Plus, there’s always a little hockey in there somewhere, and really, though some may not believe it, that’s why I’m here.

256. punkster says:

Well I’m happy then cause my hockey knowledge sucks and god knows I can’t post anything even remotely coherent on here. Least I gots ma sense o’ humour.

***Subbang!!!***

257. Storm Man says:

Don’t recall anyone one here saying you had no hockey knowledge, Maybe I miss that day enjoying life. I did think it was a funny post anyways.

258. Bugs says:

He thought you were taking a shot at me with the Habsbros comment, Brewster. That’s why he gave you a gold star.

If Oussama told me to jump in a lake, Stormy would friend him on FaceBook.

You’re not out the woods yet, mate.

259. Storm Man says:

Rabbit once again you’re wrong but that is nothing new when it comes to you. BTW you always jump in the lake no need for someone to tell you. Hope you have a better life someday you sure need one.

260. punkster says:

Damn. I was supposed to turn left at the maple, not right. Then straight on through the pines. Where’s my compass?

(No way I was taking a shot at you Wabbit. I’m no good with firearms either)

***Subbang!!!***

261. Storm Man says:

That was a funny post, Well done.

262. punkster says:

Totally.

***Subbang!!!***

263. Storm Man says:

My conclusion mate, Is you don’t know. When you have a press pass into the Habs locker room, you can tells us all the TMZ stuff. So we don’t need to read someones story about the goings on in the Habs locker room. Get a move on Clark Kent and get the story.

264. Bugs says:

Sooo, no more readin sports articles EVER? Just the stat sheet? No more mikes, no more locker-room, no more access to players? Cuz it’s all TMZ and it’s all lies and all the quotes are fabricated?

I dunno…are you sure about this? Just the dang stat sheet? C’mon, man.

265. punkster says:

Bah! Not thinking about it…NOT LISTENING…NOT LISTENING…CAn’T HEAR YOU…

***Subbang!!!***

266. Storm Man says:

The Toronto sun is what the bums use for bum wipe walking up and down Bay street looking for hand outs. Come to think about it some of the bums write for the Sun.

267. Bugs says:

Therefore, your conclusion is that they…FABRICATED the story, Stormy?

I dunno…

268. Bugs says:

Sure hope so, but, readin these remarks from Gill, about Bourque and so on..; hard to get a bead on the seriousness of the situation. See for yaself: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/08/17202246.html

I guess Ian we will see Ian whether Habs make it past the third round – that would mean they are better than the last year. If not, then not :)

270. LA Loyalist says:

To be rigorously fair we should take Markov/Gorges out of the analysis as they are force majeur events, maybe focus more on the players he’s worked, as Serious did in his great article.

Better than last year? We’re still too small and soft upfront – – but there are a couple of weeks left to address that (hope!)

Finally we probably won’t have a really clear picture about PG’s plan until he’s had a summer of FAs and UFAs to work through — and we see if he’s signed the Wiz.

Even if we get blown out in the first round, without Markov and Gorges it’s hard to pin all of that on PG. And he needs to pray that Price doesn’t tweak anything (no reflection on Auld, but he hasn’t played enough for us to be sure of him).

Next fall, though, if we are still the Smurfs(tm) upfront, the gloves will be off.

271. Puck Bard says:

I agree with that Ian. I can’t believe they’ve been doing as well as they have.

To asses Gauthier, you have to ask,! Is this team better today than last year. I say yes, a lot better. If we did not have 3 of our top players out of action with injuries, we would be flying.

273. Propwash says:

But of course, “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our Habs.”

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

274. andrewberkshire says:

We get one week of peace, and this crap is back on the website…

275. JD_ says:

You know, there is somethin’ to be said for continuity.

I lose Internet access for a week ‘n’ change, hop on here for the first time tonight, and there’s a new PK Snubban banality underway.

Really? Gill’s lost it and PK’s wobblin’ at the knees? Veritable cornucopia o’ implosion-festin’?

Yeah, of course. That’s what’s happenin’. Entitlement-riddled vets jammin’ entitlement-festooned rookies, noxious poison in the room, a complete meltdown underway cuz this kinda shiznat doesn’t happen among pro athletes effin’ around in the locker room.

Nope. It’s all white gloves and cucumber sammiches.

In other news, global rice puddin’ inventories are at an all-time low. I repeat: We are runnin’ out of rice puddin’.

To razz, perchance to laugh; ay, there’s the snub…

276. andrewberkshire says:

The best part is that QMI got the quote wrong.

277. Propwash says:

The fact of the matter is this… Would PK honestly pull something off like this in seriousness, or is this another mountain out of a molehill.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

278. Duracell3 says:

He was a -4 on the night~

279. otter649 says:

MAB of Tampa goes minus 4 in 16.20 of ice time – Memories of last season with The Habs…….

280. Bugs says:

Answer: Umberger’s claim to fame that wasn’t his god-lucky performance against us in the 2008 playoffs.

Good luck, contestants.

(Final Jeopardy theme)

281. Naveed says:

Habs need a real 2nd line center…RJ Umberger would look really nice in a Habs uniform. Gomez is  an expensive 3rd line center but I think he can be utilized well as a 2 way forward. In my humble opinion, I think the Habs need to pick up three fowards like RJ Umberger, Chris Neil and Anthony Stewart. Players who can bang and wear down the opposition would be much appreciated.

282. otter649 says:

Getting wasted by Buffalo’s Campbell with a bodycheck (no head shot?) in the playoffs a few years back…….

283. Bugs says:

I’m listening to it right now on CKAC. Is it a repeat or not, I don’t know. Michel Villeneuve; what’s his time-slot?

284. Bugs says:

Can’t wait to hear it. Not the first time a french journalist completely (maybe even deliberately, gosh help me) misunderstands what a guy says in english.

Reason I lost all respect for Francois Gagnon is how he absolutely shanked the Craig Rivet “laughing at french media” from San Jose story. Won’t say no more about that.

But…a quote is a quote, Proppie. And the context better be good.

And funny. It should be funny too.

285. Propwash says:

Hopefully Arpon Basu squashes the BS stories that’s been going on.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

286. Bugs says:

The idea, near as I gather it, is that if there’s even the slightest possibility in the ref’s mind that the player could have AVOIDED the goalie but DIDN’T, he’s to get a penalty, whether he was pushed or not.

287. billylove says:

Request for a rules explanation. Lately, I’ve heard some fans, and TV people saying that goalie interference needs to be “deliberate.” I assumed that “intent” wasn’t necessary. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m not aware of any other penalty that requires “intent.”

288. samTHEman says:

well its just like when a player dislodges the net by being pushed into it. the refs dont call a delay of game penalty in that case, so why should they call goalie interference if youre pushed into the goalie?

289. billylove says:

After reading Rule 69, goalie interference does not need to be deliberate and the goalie does not need to be in the crease.

290. Duke_Rauol says:

thanks Bugs, i get the Sun a day late cuz i live in North Ontario, u ruined everything for me! lol

291. Bugs says:

Just read a Toranna Sun report about Gill givin Soobie the business in fronta reporters for scattering the equipment all around the room.

You HEARIN this, HIO? The TORANNA SUN.

Who’s mindin the goshdang store over here anyways?

292. punkster says:

Oh boy, here we go again. Someone else posted this earlier but from the original source, QMI (Quebecor). I’m not even going to give it a moment of thought and certainly not going to worry about it even if it proves to be true. I would, however, suggest that Habsbros get on this immediately because where there’s smoke, there’s someone tokin’ sumpin’. knowwadimsayin’?

***Subbang!!!***

293. punkster says:

Oh, and apparently Arpon Basu has the conversation on tape and it was in jest.

***Subbang!!!***

294. kevin m says:

How much for Stafford?

295. HabFanSince72 says:

Roloson had another stinker.

Tampa was leading Buffalo 4-1 with two minutes to go in the second, and he gave up 6 goals on the remaining  14 shots.

296. habsfansince91 says:

doesn’t help when you’ve got MAB  as a defender…

297. Trenton_Romulox says:

I think Gauthier has done a pretty good job. It’s really easy to look at players he’s gotten rid of, SK comes to mind, and say he made a mistake. But, the fact is that SK had plenty of chances in Montreal and he failed to play well enough to make up for the attitude problems I understand he had (it’s hard to know for sure without being in the locker room.) But earlier than that, it’s clear that he didn’t make a “huge mistake” or “grave error” in getting rid of Halak and opting to give Price the reigns. I’m unsure, however, if Eller and Schultz was a good enough return, but I do have fairly high expectations of Eller down the road. His best moves, I think, were getting Moore for the run last year, signing Plekanec long term, signing Darche and Halpern, and trading for Wisniewski. I think those were all good GM moves and it’s hard to find much fault with any of those decisions. I’m not sure if Lapierre for Festerling was a good move or not, but I’m not really missing Lapierre at all, so I can’t say it was a bad move. Again, I think Gauthier has done a good job. I trust him to make rational decisions that don’t hurt the team a lot in the short or long run. I’m interested to see what is done at the trade deadline.

Edit: Also, I think signing Auld was a good move. He’s proven to be a capable backup who can give the team a good chance to win when Carey needs rest.

298. rogieshan says:

What Gauthier does with the defensive corps (Markov, Gill, Hamrlik, Wiz all UFAs) this offseason will determine his legacy here. He has done well securing stability and balance in the lineup, with some astute pickups and signings. At some point, it would be nice to see him shoot for the fence in a trade and acquire an elite player to go with the core.

299. matraque says:

Gill said that, not me!

——

300. shiram says:

Well then I guess you cannot quote profanities.

301. HabFanSince72 says: