Practice updates, video … and some news

5534669

The Canadiens were on the ice at 10:30 Wednesday morning.
MIA were  Mike Cammalleri, who was at the Brossard complex for off-ice training, and Jaroslav Spacek.
Hal Gill took the morning off for family reasons.

The news?
Coach Jacques Martin conformed that Andrei Markov is in Florida for an examination by Dr. James Andrews, who performed the defenceman’s most recent knee surgery.

AUDIO (from Flames practice): Alex Tanguay | Craig Hartsburg

Videos:

Lines: Moen-Plekanec-Cole, Eller-Palushaj-Engqvist, Moen-Gomez-Gionta, Darche-DD-AK46; Diaz-Gorges,  Weber-Emelin

PPs: Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Cole andt Plekanec-Subban at the points;, Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta and Weber-Diaz

Carey Price is one reg season win from 100.

Aaron Palushaj is leading the stretches at centre ice.

Gill isn’t here, but he’s not injured

Pat Hickey on Habs’ adjustment to injuries

Hickey on Stu Grimson

Jack Todd on Enforcers v. Don Cherry

Red Fisher weighs in on Cherry

The adaptable Yannick Weber

Brendan Gallagher’s five-point night

Kerry Fraser on Ryan Smyth’s big hit

Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts

1. Chuck says:

kempie’s right; after reading a page or so’s worth of comments, it’s apparent that all of the freaks stayed in tonight, allowing the (reasonably) sane to post witty, intelligent, and insightful banter. A pleasure to read.

All of the weirdos must be equipped with BlackBerrys.

2. kempie says:

Where are all the lunatics tonight? Boring in here. Too much reason, not enough batsht hilarious.

3. JIMVINNY says:

I watched most of the bruins-canes game, and MAN!!! How the heck does Timmy T do it? Half the time, he just charges the shooter, and somehow, the puck hits him. His mechanics are even worse than Hasek’s were. His D-men bailed him out several times, Chara especially. I really don’t think he’s going to have as good a year as he did last season, and without daddy campbell running interference, I can easily see Les Boys finishing ahead of them in the standings. Don’t know about Buffalo, though. Miller is always solid, and the subtraction of Rivet coupled with the addition of Regehr should really solidify that D. Their forwards are even smaller than ours, but never seem to have the injury woes that we do. It could be a battle to stay with them, and the 6 games against them could very well decide the division.

4. Everlasting1 says:

So this one astute observer has deduced that I’m Italian based on my support of D’Agostini. A natural conclusion. By this sound reasoning, one would conclude most here are black, as many praise Subban.
    But I refuse to call out Cross-eyed.
    Oops..did it again.

——————————————————————-
    When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

5. Everlasting1 says:

But I refuse to call out mofo.
    Oops..did it again.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

6. Everlasting1 says:

But I refuse to call out mofo.
    Oops..did it again.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

7. Everlasting1 says:

But I refuse to call out mofo.
    Oops..did it again.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

8. JohnBellyful says:

For the summit, I think we should steal a page from Oktoberfest when we gather at Hurley’s on Friday for the pre-mortem of the Rangers. What if we arranged ourselves at the tables according to our favourite Habs and engage in some good-natured beer-drinking rivalry, to chants of “We Are Table No. 10″, for example, 10 being Guy Lafleur’s number.
    Now I realize we fans of Jean Beliveau will have an unfair advantage, outnumbering as we will all the other attendees by a wide margin, so I won’t bother drinking to level the playing field.
    The last ones under the table have their large tab paid by the others – when they wake up.
    “We Are Table No. 4.” (Get ready to pay le gros bill.)

• punkster says:

Are you actually going to attend? I mean will we actually get to put a face to a name? Or a real name to a face? Or face off over a pint? Or end up face down in the gutter? Face it, we’re all eager to face the reality that is JB.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ll be there (won’t be hard to spot me, I’ll be the one wearing something Canadien, provided by my local haberdasher).
        Edit: My son is coming as well. He’s an adult but not wise in the ways of the world that is Montreal. May I may be so bold to ask my fellow HIO-ers to be temperate in their language and decorous in behaviour while in his presence. I’d hate to see years of wise parental guidance undone in a weekend.
        I thought my great-great-grandson would be coming too but his youngest son is playing in a midget hockey tournament.

• Rudy says:

For those of us flying in Friday night, I guess we’ll get our name tage at Baton Rouge?

9. Everlasting1 says:

So one astute observer has deduced that I’m Italian based on my support of D’Agostini. A natural conclusion. By this sound reasoning, one would conclude most here are black, as so many praise Subban.
    But I refuse to call out mofo.
    Oops..did it again.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

10. Rugger says:

Probably selling a lot of Celtics jerseys tonight as Bruins fans jump off the bandwagon.

11. JD_ says:

Two of the priciest netminders in the league.

50 shots.

9 goals.

Great Caesar’s ghost.

12. Sharks9 says:

Love the way the Bruins are starting this season! Shut out by Colorado and they’ve only scored 1 goal so far against the winless Canes.
    Can’t wait for another team to win the Cup this year and then their Cup win will be in the past.

25 before 14

13. JohnBellyful says:

Don Cherry’s 30 thoughts

1.) Those whackjobs who want fighting out of hockey never played the game so whatta they know. They’re the guys who weren’t even good enough to play street hockey but the kids let them go fetch the ball on shots wide of the net.
    You play hard, you play tough, but cross the line, you deserve a pop in the chops, instead of enjoying some R & R in the penalty box.

2.) When will those idiots in charge of the league bring in no-touch icing? Will someone have to get killed before they do something? Imagine if a star like Crosby got a concussion on an icing play, how quick they’d be to make the change. But as long as it’s Joe Plugger getting wheeled off, they’ll do nothing.

3.) Why is it hockey players wear equipment you could fight a war in? Was there a decade I missed where elbow and shoulder injuries went through the roof? Gimme a break. Bring back the leather pads with a bit of stuffing. That’s what real men wore.

4.) Shanahan, I love you like a grandson, but you’re turning your back on the game that made you a millionaire. Didn’t you learn in all those years you played that boys will be boys? Cut them some slack.
    And those videos!!! I fell asleep during the introduction. Make a decision and move on. Cuz once you put it on the Internet, the nutbars out there will start comparing one ruling with another, and they’ll hound you forever if they find one little dis-kre-pansy. Do what I do. State your piece and never waver. Remember, your facts are as good as the next guy’s.

5.) Why do 97 per cent of the European players wear shields, but only 1 per cent of the Canadians do? You know why, but if I have to explain it to you, MacLean will get worried you’re angling for his job so I won’t. Better the lunkhead you know … you know?

6.) [Only at six!!! Whose bright idea was it anyway to start this column? Five thoughts, that’s a pretty good month’s worth of thinking. Weekly!!! This is a weekly column? Let me look at that fine print again ... I signed this when? Okay, okay, okay. But they don’t have to be fresh thoughts, right? What!!! Let me look at that fine print again ...Stupid agent. Betty, don’t erase, keep this in as a thought. I need every one I can think of.]
    7.) Players don’t put enough tape on their sticks, not like in the old days
    8.) Too many players today need a haircut.
    9.) Why can’t they sing the national anthem straight?
    10.) Of all the guys I kissed, Dougie was the best.
    11.) I have to get up and pee five times a night.
    12.) I eat my bananas straight, don’t even bother to peel them. For the vitamin C.
    17.) There aren’t that many players who can hork a good one these days. When I coached, each team had four or five who could loop a wet one over to the other team’s bench.
    23.) If the league keeps going the way it is, pretty soon they won’t allow lifters.
    29.) Kids, if you get jock itch, don’t scratch or use ointment, let nature take its course. No pain, no gain.
    30.) How could I forget Bobby Orr!!!? The greatest player ever to play the game. I misspoke earlier. Bobby’s smooch was best.

• HardHabits says:

It’s people like you that are killing any hope that other Habs bloggers will get any hits.

• JohnBellyful says:

I’m a passive kind of guy. Whatever I can do to cut down on the hits …
        I do have a blog somewhere — if only I could remember the password — but I let it die a slow death after just two entries, one pointing to HIO as the place to go for informed commentary — okay, so I was kidding — and the frank exchange of opinion — I downplayed that one. The other was an original piece about beer league hockey.
        But I could see it was going to be a huge draw on my time and the graphics weren’t quite what I wanted (although I thanked my six-year-old niece for her efforts. I knew those blobs were ‘skates’).
        (I wonder, did I ever hit that Post button?)
        Anyway, it’s here I belong, the guy down at the end of the HIO bar, wondering when someone’s going to head to the john and leave a drink untended.

• ZepFan2 says:

Quick, you forgot to mention the troops!

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Mike D says:

Great work John!

– Honestly yours

• G-Man says:

You killing me, man! :D
      #11 made me go to the can (again!) and 12 sent me back for a return visit so I could shake it off.
      Keep it comin’, Johnny!

14. SeriousFan09 says:

When you examine how they play and their rosters, the Flyers have now become a more respectable roster than the Bruins, choosing to go with speed-skill with toughness to compliment while the Bruins seem very set in the ideas of the 70s Flyers, push the rules as far as you can, act like a street gang and pretend you’re playing good old time hockey.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

15. punkster says:

Anybody know why I would lose my spellcheck on both my email and on HI/O at the same time. Underlining every 3rd or 4th word for no reason tonight.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. stephen says:

Anyone know if we were ever in serious contention for Jagr this past summer?

I remember hearing rumblings that Montreal was one of a few teams kicking Jagr’s tires, but did anything come out about how close/far they were in terms of dollars or term?

Been watching the Flyers game and Jagr is still a bugger to move off the puck. Frustrating to play against, but hard not to marvel at it.

17. JD_ says:

Two things:

* Watchin’ Jagr play tonight, I am once again reminded what a big kid he is. NHL.com lists him at 240 lbs.

* Ray Ferraro just used the term oodles. I am not a sports media consultant – I just play one on the Intraternetweb – but usin’ the term oodles durin’ a sportscast should be immediate grounds for dismissal.