Another Canadiens practice, then off to NYC

ColeCelebrates
The Canadiens had an off-ice session Wednesday morning.
They will hold a full practice Thursday before boarding a charter flight to New York, where they play the Rangers Friday night.
The Edmonton Oilers lost Wednesday night, so the Canadiens are still in 28th place.

Cole upbeat about the future

Pat Hickey on Greg Pateryn

Who will be at draft lottery?

Marc De Foy on the Canadiens’ decline

Flames fading

Philippe Cantin on the return of the Nordiques

The case for Brian Burke

1. Why oh why can’t Molson manage a Hockey team? Why fire him now with five games left? Why not run the string out and relieve him of duty before the lottery? Boy the timing sucks for this team. Think of the players… some of whom are quite good!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

2. krob1000 says:

The Vegas money would be on Brisebois….

3. krob1000 says:

The remparts are still playing so I guess Roy is out…he owuld be likely hired in the sumemr anyway …I can see even a duo of Crawford/Roy …Crawford is definitely getting himself intot he mix …the way he has talked Habs has changed

• ABHabsfan says:

Crawford has some legal ‘splaining to do regarding the Steve Moore incident, goes to court in September so unlikely anyone will hire him until that has been settled

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

4. LafleurGuy says:

Julien Brisebois? Patrick Roy?

“May you live in interesting times.”

5. JayK-47 says:

Why are all the church bells ringing in Montreal?

6. kempie says:

Oh boy. Buckle up guys, here we go…

Edit: LOL, I just read Dreger’s tweet and realized that he led with the same phrase. Funny. But yeah, we really should buckle up for this.

I am guessing that Patrick Roy will have his every movement followed from here on out until a replacement is named. I can only hope no one cares about Pierre MacGuires movements.

7. krob1000 says:

Ryder up to 35! Good for Mike…of all of the Habs lost I always thought he got treated the poorest …next would be SK but Ryder by a country mile…he was treated unfairly that whole season and had his confidence sucked out of him..and still managed a decent amount of goals considering.

• LafleurGuy says:

Some talent guru four seasons ago figured that the 14 goals Mike Ryder potted as a 27 yr. old was going to be his norm (his last season with the Habs), and not the two 30 goal seasons he had as a 25, and 26 year old. We got NOTHING for him and I apologize Michael for forgetting you in posting a list of squandered high-value players, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Souray….

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Old Bald Bird says:

Carbo was the coach and seemed to want Ryder to be a checker. He turned out to be a pretty good goalie though.

• Ed says:

Hi krob! It’s nice of you to think fondly of Ryder. Some of us defended him back then, but we were in the minority. Boone was probably one of his biggest critics, & I think a little praise is in order from Mr Boone. lol & don’t hold your breath. Boone says that Cole is the best free agent signing ever, but I think that Dallas did pretty good with Ryder, considering his age, his stats this year, & it’s only 3.5 million for 2 years.

I sometimes wonder how many players drafted by the Canadiens, played with them, then were let go, & went on to win the Stanley Cup with someone else. I bet there’s not too many. I was glad when he signed elsewhere, but then why would he ever resign with the Canadiens after the way he was treated by Carbonneau. Things have worked out well for him, but not so for the Canadiens.

Press Conference at 11:45am today.

How Does Dreger beat RDS et al to the story?

9. habfan01 says:

Terri dimonte CHOM- says Gauthier relieved of duties

10. Chris1138 says:

I don’t understand the hate for Bourque. He floats, he doesn’t care, he doesn’t do anything out there – the perfect guy to help you get that 2nd overall pick!

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

It’s official the Ghost is gone, McKenzie just retweeted announcement from Montreal’s officia Twitter account.

• Mustang says:

FINALLY, something to cheer about.

If Roy becomes the new coach or new GM, he may or may not do a good job, but I guarantee that he will not be boring.

12. showey47 says:

apparently gauthier is about to be fired according to darren dreger

13. krob1000 says:

The only teams in the East I can cheer for are the Pens and Sens. The West is a different story…..I like several of the teams..the Wings (how can anyone not like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom?), Nashville with the Habs connections, same for Dallas and St Louis…of course the Canucks being Canadian…..even Chicago is likeable with Toews, Sharp, Kane and Keith,etc…for the most part I can just enjoy the matchups in the West!

• LafleurGuy says:

Without fail, the pandemonic celebration that erupts in any Canadian city during a deep playoff run in hockey, is unmatched in American cities. Robson St., Jasper Ave. the Red Mile, Yonge St., ?Rideau Canal(kidding), and Rue St. Catharines, and now, add Portage and Main to this festive list. So, go Canada! (Even though I mildly dislike the Senators).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mustang says:

The only team I can truly cheer for is the Habs. I rarely pay any attention to hockey once the CH are out. Having said that, I do hope that Jaro, and therefore the St. Louis Blues, does well (and no, I am not a Price basher).

14. k.la_31 says:

does anyone know around when the habs are supposed to arrive in ny?

Price: “I’m sorry I’m not French… I’m here to do a job”

15. LafleurGuy says:

Looking out the window of Habhouse, here are some interesting facts about the St. Halak Blues. They did NOT make the playoffs last year, finishing 11th with 87 pts. Jaro won 27 of 62 games, .910 sv%, 2.48 GAA. I think a Blues’ fan, Man Habits was constantly posting bemoaning the loss of Chris Mason. The Blues only made the playoffs once since the 2004 lockout. In 2009, they were summarily dismissed from the playoffs 4-0 by the Canucks. That roster included Brad Boyes, Paul Kariya, and an expensive Keith Tkaczuk. This year’ roster has veteran presence in inexpensive 37 yr. old Jason Arnott and 36 yr. old Jamie Langenbrunner. St. Louis DID NOT have a first-round pick in last year’s draft! After starting the season 6W-7L, GM Doug Armstrong replaced David Payne with past Jack Adams winner, Ken Hitchcock. You bet I have optimism for next year! The Blues went from 11th to first in one year!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

On the other hand the Columbus Blue Jackets were 6th last last year (which is roughly where the Habs might end up).

Last summer they made huge upgrades to their team signing a marquis free agent defenceman and trading for that big centre they’ve always wanted …

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LafleurGuy says:

Good one! After adding Carter and Wisniewski, they went from 6th to 15th! Holy…..we went from 6th to 15th (pending the season-ending game with the Leafies)!

“May you live in interesting times.”

16. croozer says:

No problem cheering for St. Louis or Nashville.
    Nice to see former sad-sack teams build themselves up – just like Chicago did.
    Nothing against Vancouver except the media plays the “Canada’s Team” card too much and the “homer” broadcasting gets tiresome.

• secretdragonfly says:

Not to mention the obnoxious “Green Men”. That schtick got old really fast.

• LafleurGuy says:

See post above. St. Louis is an example of young core players maturing in synchronicity. Their’s is a story of success different from Chicago’s. Before my initial post was mysteriously zapped, I included the datum that their only top draft pick, Eric Johnson was traded away for Stewart and Shattenkirk. Just to repeat, the Blues DID NOT have a first round pick in last year’s draft. They also did not sign Brad Richards, the prize free agent of last summer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

17. JohnBellyful says:

The case for Brian Burke: Well, in terms of talking up the team’s future and achieving the success he loudly trumpeted would be soon coming, he went from being the Big Bazooka to BlunderBuss and now BB gun. There’s been considerable debate over the years as to what calibre of GM he is but it’s safe to say that throughout it all he’s been a Big Bore.

18. Marc10 says:

Who will you be cheering for (or at the very least grudgingly supporting) come the playoffs?

1) Vancouver – because they’re a Canadian team and even there are a lot of Hab fans out on the West Coast and I wouldn’t want them to get their house burned down

2) St Louis – because of you know who…

3) Nashville – because of Big Hal and because I rate their coach and appreciate their success with tight cap constraints

I’d love to cheer for Detroit. They play a great team game and that town’s been through hell… but I play with the biggest Detroit fan here in Oz (he would remind you of Bubba the shrimp lover in Forrest Gump) and I couldn’t stomach hearing how fricken great the Wings are for a whole Winter (the season are reversed here…) That would absolutely suck the joy out of playing the great game here among the roos and koalas…

Who will you ‘support’?

• sampson12 says:

Of the three teams you mention, I say Nashville. I like what they’ve done as an organization having a tighter budget, but remaining competitive year in and year out. I think Barry Trotz is one of the top 3 coaches in the NHL and I think the fan base deserves a good run. This seems like the year for them to do it. Big moves at the deadline and the return of Radulov, which I’m sure was a headache and a half for management to get done. All those reasons plus Skillzy, the bros, and Franky Bouillon still hold a place in my fragile hab-loving heart.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’d replace Nashville with the NY Rangers. Don’t want to listen to folks post about SK and AK and I love Torts.
      I’d replace St. Louis with the Sens. Don’t want to listen to the Price bashers and a good playoffs run might help Ottawa grow its fan base.
      I’d also add the old “anybody but Boston” to the list.

• Marc10 says:

Ha! Ha! Yes. I should add that to the list. Anyone who beats Boston (and preferably humiliates Timmy T and Big Z) becomes my de facto favourite. :-)

• secretdragonfly says:

Detroit has always been my “back up” team and this year is no different. Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg are all a joy to watch. Their goaltending is a question mark this year but they could still pull it off.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Sure – I want to see a Canadian team win and Vancouver’s a nice town.

2. Sure – but not because of their backup.

3. Why not? They never tanked and built their franchise the right way (except for that horrible Peter Forsberg deal which set them back a few years).

I wouldn’t mind San Jose winning it either ’cause I sat next to Doug Wilson on a plane once and he looked like an OK fellow.

Anyone but Boston, Philly and the Rangers when it comes down to it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Go Hawks Go, have no use for any of the franchises you mention. If Anaheim were in it, Saku would give me reason to cheer, he is a former Hab I would be interested in pulling for. The rest, meh (maybe Gill, but I don’t need to see AK and SK win a cup in Nashville).

As for St. Louis, growing up with Wpg. as my secondary team, St. Louis was an arch rival (notice the pun!) and therefore remain a rival.

• Malreg says:

Pittsburgh.

• DearyLeary says:

Any team that Boston plays.

19. Like the article on Cammy, with Calgary missing the playoffs too, it’s irrelevant except for how the Habs seem to slaughter good players who end up doing well elsewhere (take SK with AK not likely to follow and he of the 2003 top Habs pick, ugh!). I liked Cammy. He had skill, a mouth and was crushed by JM’s protect the one goal lead style, but poo rolls down the stairs and Alfred E. Newman needs to go along with PG who together have taken a perennial middling playoff team to a basement dweller. The heritage deserves better than that Mr. Molson. Oh and I’m not dissing Gainey’s career with the Habs, just his performance in top management. Got a ruler over the wrist once for stating the obvious during the last live blog by an over zealous Gainey fan.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

Telling comment from Erik Cole. “You have to learn to put teams away. You can’t be comfortable with a one or two-goal lead. You have to step on them.”

He better watch what he says. Them’s trading words. I mean how much is that attitude in direct contradiction to JM’s system or the game that Gainey envisions for the Habs.

I like Cole. I’d like to see him named captain next season. I don’t care about class. I care about winning. Take the C from Gionta and slap it on Cole’s jersey. Cole is the leader on the ice and I am sure in the room too.

• DearyLeary says:

Only way it happens is if Montreal wins the draft lottery and we have the luxury of selecting a RW in Yakupov. It makes Gionta an expendable asset with the likes of Cole, Yakupov, Gallagher, and Leblanc clogging up our RW depth chart.

Without Yakupov it’s hard to move Gionta and his 25ish goals per season (injury problems this year were kind of flukey and not likely chronic).

And then there were six. Anaheim’s win last night pretty well assured Montreal one of the top six spots in the draft (lottery factor aside).

Watching this draft race is getting as compelling as a tight race to make the playoffs…. Just want the season over already and know what spot we have.

• HardHabits says:

Total reversal of the standings watching Habs fans have become accustomed to. Instead of waiting for the last game of the season to determine whether or not the Habs make the play-offs now we are eyeing the potential draft pick.

I am still waiting for the fan riot because I was told numerous times that the Habs don’t Tank™.

My definition of tanking and yours is still different however. I haven’t seen Carey Price, Erik Cole, PK Subban, Josh Gorges start throwing games. But I hear you HH.

• Habs won’t tank. They’ll try to win every game, though RC should be playing the young guys to scout them for next year. I was surprised again that Geoffrion didn’t start last game again. What’s up with that? Doesn’t he need some development, or is he like his dad as opposed to his grandfather and great grandfather?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• HabFanSince72 says:

We’re going to finish 5th last aren’t we?

Minny and the Leafs are not winning another game. The Oilers might also tank the rest of the way.

That will be a bit of a bummer given how bad we’ve been from day one.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Who knows maybe in a few years we will be referring to Greg Pateryn as Dr. Greg Pateryn, he may become our version of Dr. Randy Gregg the stay at home Dman who helped Edmonton win Cups in their glory days.

Everything I read about Erik Cole makes me appreciate even more what a quality human being and excellent player he is for the Habs. I really hope a player like Bourque has some sit down chats with Cole about what it means to be an NHL Pro.

I am glad Cole isn’t going to the World Championships, he needs to prove nothing but rather could use as long an offseason as possible to recover for next season.

Speaking of World’s has there been any talk of whether or not Russia plans to invite Markov? Was my understanding he wasn’t in their initial invites. Emelin I hope does not go, not because he isn’t good enough but rather, he is already getting used to a longer season than normal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

All we can hope for with Bourque is that turmoil of being traded, his unhappiness in Calgary and whatever else is going on inside that cranium of his is cleared up with the summer off.

Hopefully his attitude and interest level is improved with a new coach, system and outlook next season or it could be bad for the team and the fans will probably rain boos down on him.

• croozer says:

The Habs need to work the phones and see if they can find someone who knows this guy and what makes him tick.
        A rebuilding team can NOT afford to carry even one high-paid underperformer – especially not when there are young hungry guys putting in an effort every night.
        The Habs are simply not deep enough to indulge “I don’t feel like it tonight” players.
        Find someone, anyone, who can sit down with Bourque.
        What’s the deal Rene?
        Don’t wanna play anymore? Wanna retire?
        Don’t wanna play in Montreal?
        Wanna be traded?
        Because if he DOES want to play – and play in Montreal he better smarten up!
        We need to hear from him that we’ll see nothing less than a full 100% effort each and every game.
        That means after every shift he better be gasping for O2.
        Otherwise – package him up with anyone else we don’t want and GET HIM OUTA HERE!
        We could use the cap room.

• sampson12 says:

I certainly agree with you about Cole. Terrific contributions on-ice that have him exceeding all of our expectations, but just as important have been his off-ice contributions. A class act and good with the young fellas. He’s setting an example of professionalism. We’ve got some mature young players, from what I’ve seen, in Leblanc, Eller, Pacioretty, and others. As a veteran, Cole will help instill this culture in the dressing room as he continues to mentor the future (hopefully a bright one) of this franchise.

As for Emelin playing in the Worlds, I hope he gets the invite. He may not be used to the long season, but he’s still relatively young, let’s not get soft on him, I think he can handle it. I mean, it’s not like he has a couple grueling playoff series to tire him out more. But hopefully next year he will. So get him used to it now.

Good points on Emelin, but I also think he is playing injured. While I agree about he is young and get him used to it, I don’t want him playing injured over there. If healthy, go for it.

• B says:

Emelin “may not be used to the long season”?

Emelin played 61 games in the KHL last season and 68 the season before that. He went to the Worlds after both those seasons. This season, he has played 64 NHL games so far and could end up with 69. I don’t really see an issue there.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Kinda sucks the Flames and Jets aren’t going to make it cuz they are 2 other teams I could possibly cheer for in the playoffs when the Habs are out.

I agree Hobie, I have been scouring to find a team I will support this season, and continue to find reasons not to cheer for virtually all of them.

If Toews can come back healthy I may have to throw my support behind the Hawks.

• HardHabits says:

I used to have an I’ll cheer for whatever remaining Canadian team is left in the play-offs attitude, but now I have resigned myself to cheer for teams with ex-Habs on it. Suffice it to say that Vancouver, St. Louis and Nashville top my list of hopefuls.