Saturday update: Habs take Sea Dogs D Beaulieu with 17th pick in draft

nbeaulieu

Nathan Beaulieu poses for a portrait following his selection by the Canadiens as No. 17 overall at the NHL Entry Draft at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN, Friday night.
Nick Laham, Getty Images

Post freshened Saturday 6 am ET

The Canadiens have chosen defenceman Nathan Beaulieu of the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs as their first-round pick in the entry draft, No. 17 overall.

A video of Beaulieu on NHL.com is here. Full first-round pick-by-pick selections are here, with hotlinks to bios of each player.

Nathan Beaulieu audio after selection by Canadiens

• Video of Beaulieu in post-draft interview:

Rounds 2 through 7 of the draft run Saturday beginning at 11 am, telecast on NHL Network. Pending trades, the Canadiens will choose in spots 78 (Round 3), 113 (Round 4, from Anaheim), 138 (Round 5), 168 (Round 6) and 198 (Round 7). It’s here that the scouting department’s work will become most clear, as it tries to unearth one or two diamonds in the rough.

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was said to be in Friday-night talks with both the Minnesota Wild and Detroit Red Wings about the negotiation rights of defenceman James Wisniewski, an unrestricted free agent as of July 1. Word was that Gauthier might deal those rights in exchange for a second-round pick; Detroit has a second-round selection, Minnesota does not.

• Dany Dubé of CKAC reported Friday that Kirk Muller could well be leaving the Canadiens to become head coach of Vancouver’s Chicago Wolves farm team. From Pat Hickey in St. Paul: Vancouver GM Mike Gillis says Muller is the obvious choice but Gillis tells Vancouver media he’s not yet talked to the Habs assistant coach. Keeping an eye on this in the hours/days ahead.

• Bio below courtesy futureconsiderations.ca, our generous thanks to Aaron Vickers, Managing Editor

1. Habs fan in SF says:

dang deb placey aged 20 yrs today

2. Habs fan in SF says:

i understand defence wins games kinda like good pitching beats good hitting in baseball. BUT with that said, we have a history of drafting d-men, typically big strong american d-men. i don’t know much about nathan beaulieu and he might be gem, but we need size up front at the center position. if we can’t trade for one, why do we not try to draft one???

• Habs fan in SF says:

we need size and scoring

• Habs fan in SF says:

i blame my ignorance. the more i read about nathan beaulieu, the more i read about how he was projected to be picked in the top 10. BUT, i don’t blame the habs picking him because i’m a FIRM believer in picking the best available player. however, like i said in my previous rant, we need size and scoring and a mean streak. unless the ghost has trades up his sleeve, we need forwards with toughness

We picked up a real asset in Beaulieu. He will be NHL ready after just one year in Hamilton, after he plays as an overage for the Sea Dogs next year.

• habs-hampton says:

I’ve seen him play many times in the last 3 years. I don’t quite get the PK comparison. He’s not flashy and his end-to-end rushes don’t get you out of your seat like PK. He is smooth, confident, and makes good decisions with the puck. He is not as risky with the puck. He’s tall and will get heavier. I’ve been saying all year, that of all of the Seadogs in Saint John (including Huberdeau and Depres), he’ll be the best pro in 5-6 years. (time will tell).

4. Strabo says:

I think I’ll be going to a few Sea Dogs games this year.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

5. RJ says:

Of course they would not pick a power center McNeill. Why go that route? Draft a damn that takes forever to develop then trade ala McDonough and Fischer. Draft forwards and acquire defense through trades and free agency.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

• HardHabits says:

My initial instinct was to go with McNeill too and I would have really liked that pick but Beaulieu is a very, very good pick. Some prognosticators had him at 4th and 5th over-all, and he’s a projected top pairing puck moving defensemen, with size and an edge.

This pick made any idea of signing Wisniewski moot.

6. novahab says:

Beaulieu is thinking he wants to make the Habs in training camp this year. I like this kid and they compare him to PK. If he half as good as PK he’s a steal. PK is the most exciting player in the NHL hands down and with Markov back look out. If PK played for any other team he would be the NHL poster boy passing Sid. The goal he scored againt the Bruims in the dieing seconds was electric. Yet no highlites on TSN or CBC not a word. They showed the top ten goals in the playoff nothing. Its all good all they need to do is win the cup and shove it all down the media’s throats.

7. Bill J says:

Dunno if it was already posted…

Nathan Beaulieu is on twitter

@n8THEggr8

8. Habfan10912 says:

Watching the draft last night reminded me of the great job Burke has done building the Bruins. I wonder if he will get a ring?

• TommyB says:

Was absolutely thinking the same thing while watching. I enjoyed the camera going to Burke when Bettman annnounced Boston is up next. But Burke did save the day, though, didn’t he? I mean, he made a big trade. Moving all the way up to number 22 from 25 or whatever it was. This guy is one of the brightest minds in hockey. Just ask him.

• Viruk42 says:

He didn’t really do that much for the cup run, just one player in Seguin. I think a Seguin for Kessel deal could have been worth it, 1-for-1, but obviously the actual deal was a ripoff.

On the other hand, Burke did well with the Kaberle deal. Picked up Joe Colbourne, a 1st (Stuart Percy) and a 2nd (traded for JM Liles – who is basically the same as Kaberle – Kaberle had 1 more point, but 2 less goals and less PIM as well).

Combined the two deals almost cancel each other out.

9. MontrealAtheist says:

Good to have him aboard. I can’t say I know much about Beaulieu and I sure hope that he has more going for him than his French last name.

10. showey47 says:

I hope the reports are true that PG is trying to trade the rights to the wiz. Don’t get me wrong i was hoping we would be able to maintain his services by signing him to a longterm contract. But if its not in the cards then i feel its PG’s responsibility to at least try to pick up an asset for him. Considering he has more points then any defenceman who will be available july 1st and is only 27 his services will be in high demand. Would love to see us get detroits 2nd round pick (#35 via ottawa) in return.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

The future is looking very bright.

For Flyers fans.

To think they were last in the league in 2007.

And now for your morning smile. Check out the caption on this photo.

12. Un Canadien errant says:

What a tool Brian Burke is. He calls his draft choice Biggs “hostile”. Coaches and teammates love a hostile player.

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an enemy: hostile forces; hostile acts.
    2. Feeling or showing enmity or ill will; antagonistic: a hostile remark.
    3. Unfavorable to health or well-being; inhospitable or adverse: a hostile climate

The kicker is that Burke thinks these are positives. I know what he means and how he misspoke, he meant to say hostile to members of other teams, but that’s still an indication of what he wants hockey to become.

Brendan Shanahan, please rein in this joker.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Petr Svoboda 1) Shayne Corson 2) Stephane Richer 3) Patrick Roy

13. SeriousFan09 says:

The Scouting Report on Beaulieu: (Ranked 16th)

“Bealieu is a technically sound defenseman that has a pretty refined overall game. He’s a solid skater with good size, moves well laterally, and has the ability to buy time for himself and make good decisions with the puck. The issue is that he doesn’t have an overly dominant aspect to his game which raises some questions about what his role will be at the next level. As it stands, he projects to be a decent middle pairing type player, but the lack of high-end talent prevents him from being higher in our rankings.”

Puck Prospectus: (Ranked 8th)

“The top defense prospect and late ’92 birthdate followed up a 12-goal, 45-point season in 2009-10 with…. well another 12-goal, 45-point season in 2010-11. Nathan Beaulieu is an above-average skater who flashes plus when he gets going in a straight line, but still moves very freely and smoothly in other directions with an impressive first few steps. His skating is his best tool and he doesn’t refrain from using it either by rushing the puck up, pinching in, or going out of position to get to a puck that most QMJHL players wouldn’t be able to get. His puck skills are above-average which let him be an effective rushing defenseman in regards to being able to go around the opposition. He frequently executes above-average passes and while his vision does show plus ability, his passing ability is not at that level yet and at times, he turns the puck over going for the perfect pass or takes too much time looking down his target. Beaulieu has a solid shot which has decent accuracy to put through traffic and zip when he has a lane to let it fly although I don’t see him being a significant triggerman at the next level. Nathan doesn’t shy from the physical game and will frequently throw his body around, even at times landing some highlight crunches. However his strength is lacking and opposing forwards are able to shrug him off during battles. Beaulieu’s defensive game is decent and until his strength improves his stick-checking ability is good enough to help him maintain an average level, but with his skating ability and improved physical game would do wonders in that area.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Initially, I’m not overly pleased with Beaulieu. Yes I know he’s one of the highest-ranked Ds in this draft but I never read any particular scouting report that really sold me on him and I’m all in favour of a risk-reward selection in the 1st round for offensive talent.

Granted, with Wiz’s rights in play MTL might be able to put themselves into the 2nd round to take a chance on an forward of that type now but I had designs on Puempel, Jensen being those guys, still absolutely shocked Scheifele went 7th, Winnipeg has just made their first blunder in the draft and it’s a whopper.

I am very glad Toronto blew their 1st-round choices though. Biggs and Percy? OTT has Percy’s own HC and they passed him over and the guy was ranked in the late 2nd, early 3rd. Biggs is maybe Colby Armstrong on his best day.

FYI with Beaulieu having already played 3 years in the Q, he’s eligible for the AHL in 12-13. He’d join Jarred Tinordi, Morgan Ellis and Greg Pateryn as freshmen skaters, who knows, maybe even Bennett if he gets a breakout year at Michigan as a sophomore.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

Some kind of HIO Jedi mind warp or Vulcan mind meld happening.

There are rumours that Florida is interested in Gomez and Montreal is trying to finagle a 2nd out of Detroit for Wiz’ negotiating rights.

All this action. This is way better than last season’s Kovy watch.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Whichever GM makes either of those moves gets the Mike Milbury mantle of stupidest GM alive.

• Habfan4lfe says:

I hope that’s true. No Gomez = way better season.

• LA Loyalist says:

I have my last 1982 first growth Bordeaux that I will open if Florida takes Gomez off our hands.

But I think there is method in their madness. By taking Gomez they are guaranteeing themselves a Tanker season and thus a top-five first round pick next year. Is it all clear now?

• longbow says:

The fly in the ointment where trading Gomez is concerned is that his limited no-trade clause allows him to name 3 teams he doesn’t want to be traded to. I’d bet the farm the 3 are Florida,Phoenix and NY Islanders.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

16. Habs64 says:

Beaulieu’s Dad is a huge Habs fan and Nathan is incredibly happy to be a Hab!!

17. Habs64 says:

Beaulieu is a great pick – Mem Cup All-Star and incredible skater like Bob Mac says PK like..

18. naweed235 says:

so how serious can Renaud Lavoie be taken? I just read an article that he posted on RDS that says Scott Gomez generates some strong interest in Florida and Phoenix… and yes even though Campell was just acquired by FLA…
    Although it would be an amazing thing as far as our cap space is concerned, I don’t know if trading Gomez is such a great thing if we do not have a better replacement for him… I mean in the short term I can see Desharnais fill that spot but shouldn’t the whole idea behind getting rid of Gomez be that we could actually sign that elite big first line center? well the hard truth is that other than Brad Richards, there is none available and I think it is pretty safe to say that he WILL NOT come to MTL… If you don’t believe me just ask Burke how hard it is to find that #1 center…
    P.S most here feel like PHI raped columbus on the Carter deal… if you ask me Columbus got themselves one of the rarest assets in the NHL today in exchange for some replaceables…

• Just so happens that Philly got back a player that’s just as rare as Carter in Couturier. Did he luck into yet? Absolutely. But he got him. And Couturier will probably be better than Carter, he might even be better than Richards.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

No, Columbus got raped in the deal. They gave up Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek and a 3rd round pick. Philly also cleared cap space in the deal, which is an asset to have as well. Carter also doesn’t seem to be thrilled to be in Columbus. Voracek has tremendous offensive upside and has already put up season of 50 and 46 points on a crappy team at a very young age. If he plays with Giroux and Van Riemsdyk, he could put very good numbers. Couturier is a big goal-scoring centre who plays a more two-way game than Carter did.

Great trade for Philly. Columbus gets a good scorer, but I don’t think Carter will make a huge difference in Columbus.

• naweed235 says:

oh wow didn’t know they got couturier… well then that changes alot… but still my point was more concerning a replacement for Gomez which I just don’t see right now…the only way to get that star #1 center for us would be through a trade that will surely cost us one of our young stars in Subban/Patch or Price…

• longbow says:

Trade Gomez for a bag of pucks and we are 7.3 million ahead. Thats a good return. Worry about his roster spot after. Anyway with the 15 million in cap space we would have it would be easy enough to convince Brad Richards to give up playing for his old buddy Torts in NY.

• Everlasting1 says:

Agreed. Columbus with a serious upgrade in the West.

——————————————————————-
      ” There were giants on the earth in those days; and also after that (The Deluge), when the Sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:4

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• NCRhabsfan says:

Little guy, 7 goals despite ample time on the power play and 5 on 5, indifferent defence…how hard can he be to replace? We’re no worse off with Eller and DD and the extra cap space would give PG some room to get creative. It won’t happen, Gomez’ contract is just too tough to swallow. But its nice to dream…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed, I was about to post the same comments.

———————————

• naweed235 says:

I don’t know… I agree and I am sure Gomez himself is going to be the first to admit he had a toilet bound season last season… but let’s not forget this is a guy who finished 2nd in points after Pleks and had a hell of a play off two seasons ago… All players at one time or another have this type of season… I somehow have a feeling he is good for a min 60 pt season in 2011-12 … but then again who knows

• LA Loyalist says:

… you are right about availability of big #1 centers, but with Gomez gone DD would be just fine, we sit on the cap space and cash and wait patiently (which is why I wanted to keep Wiz, so we would have the depth on D for such a move).

We need to be smart and patient like our legendary manager Jackson Pollock, not careening about like O’Burkenstein.

19. Mike Richards is asking what number he should wear in LA because 18 is retired. I vote 76!

20. Everlasting1 says:

Blues Draft Notes:
    1. The Blues first-round pick was traded to Colorado in the deal that brought Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk to St. Louis. (Thank-you Avs!)
    2. The 32nd overall pick from Colorado came to St. Louis, also in the Stewart and Shattenkirk trade.
    3. The Blues acquired a second round pick (46th overall) from Buffalo in exchange for Brad Boyes.
    4. The Blues acquired a third round pick (88th overall) from Tampa Bay in exchange for Eric Brewer.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I think you’re on the wrong site.

• HardHabits says:

The Blues are just so awful. I mean seriously bad. Halak who? It’s seriously hilarious how anybody can think the Blues are even worth looking at. I forgot they were in the league until E1’s post.

The Blues. LMFAO!

• Everlasting1 says:

I know your game HH..you don’t really mean all that, just trying to provoke..it’s all good :-P
          I’m looking forward to the new season and see what a healthy Blues can do. I think they still need to acquire a top 4 d-man to complete the picture.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

They still have 2nd rounders to pick, and some promising 1st rounders from last year in the wings.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• LA Loyalist says:

They had terrible injuries last year – as did we. If our injuries are a reasonable excuse then you have to be logically consistent and accept that reason from Blues. Look at LA Kings – losing Kopitar just before the playoffs or Ducks losing Hiller. Devestating. Merde happens.

I don’t think we are in much of a position to be gloating over other teams just yet, is my point. We are a groin pull to Price away from being in a world of hurt ourselves – or an offensive rush from Gomez, sandwhichever comes first.

Be gracious (except about Boston or Philly, of course). And thank heaven Marky Mark and Patches are coming back healthy.

21. Bugs says:

All we need now is some joker to post one of those 2-min videos that show what a wunderkind Beaulieu is, which will then precipitate the rush of OTHER joker comments such as “boy, he’s frikkin GREAT!” and “you can tell he’s REALLY gonna be sumpin special!”
    Ah, I love those videos.
    My favourite is the PJ Stock one. 2 minutes outta his entire life; looks like the second comin of Jesus Gretzky.
    Yessir, those videos say it all, don’t they?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

22. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I could see Detroit trading for Wiz’s rights. They now have 3 2nd-rounders this year due to the trade they made with Ottawa tonight. I know some people on here think it is too late to deal his rights, but weren’t Hamhuis’ rights traded TWICE at this point last year? If Detroit wants Wiz, it will be good for them to have a few days to talk to his agent before July 1. Right now, Wiz is thinking he will go to July 1 and test the market, but if Detroit puts in a hard sell over the next few days, that could sway him their way.

If I were PG, I would try to get the 35th pick and use it to draft Saad, Jaskin, Rattie or Khokhlachev.

I’m not sure what Saad’s story is or why he has dropped out of the first round, but he could be a good gamble in the 2nd round.

• TomNickle says:

He was unbelievably inconsistent for a player with his skill set. Saad that is. And I agree about Wisniewski.

• Marc10 says:

Yes. Seems like that’s a natural play. With Brewer and Markov signed Wiz’ value automatically increases, but a benchmark is also set.

Detroit have the coin and he’s a Michigan boy. Why wouldn’t he go to go play with Lidstrom on the PP. In a heartbeat.

I like the rumour going that Minnesota wants to chat with him. Great if we can get a bidding war for the privilege. At least we’ll get something.

Now we need to get a nasty fourth liner. Someone with decent for speed, size and thinks gloves are cumbersome and would prefer not to wear them.

Go the Goat.

Maybe we can package up Wiz rights and Weber/Nash/Carle to get something….

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

23. Bugs says:

I was happy Beaulieu was picked if only that at least, WE’LL pronounce his name right.
    Dang, did you HEAR TSN give it a few gos?
    “Baalioo”
    “Boliah”
    Felt like clawin my eyes out.
    They NAILED Zibanejad, ferpetessakes! Can’t say Beaulieu???

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

24. scrowe21 says:

Hopefully PG moves Pouliot and Wiz’s rights for a 2nd rounder if he doesnt plan on signing them.

Not draft related, but thinking about prospects..Im most excited to see Alain Berger this year.

• emann_222 says:

Agreed – Especially regarding the Pouliot part. He shouldn’t be back so let’s get to work moving him.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

• LA Loyalist says:

The question I suggest we ask is did we fail in our development of Pouliot?

Or does he just have some unfixable deficiency or is just a head case? The guy has skill, I don’t think anyone will deny that.

Latendresse: head case Pouliot: head case…

It worries me, that’s all. I guess you can argue that Carbo couldn’t straighten out the Tender one either, but I just hate to see talent go for nothing.

• habitat says:

Second round pick if available should be Scott Mayfield, Youngstown (USHL) Keep Pouliot for 1 more year, Wiz see ya for a second round pick. Mayfield would be excellent for the Habs. Fluid skater, hard shot with accuracy and can fight. Bye Bye LUCIC.

25. habstrinifan says:

OK the draft is over .. basically.

OK pick PG.

Now go out and do some wheeling dealin to get us as follows:
    a) mean big middle 4th or 5th level D-MAN.
    b) two gritty big forwards.
    c) cheap backup-goalie.

And PG/JM when training camp rolls around have a real evaluation. Not what you did last season. And if you do you will see that Brendan Gallagher will surprise you.

26. Chuck says:

Beaulieu sounds like he’s got traits in common with Subban and Markov… not that I’m putting any pressure on the kid or anything. :)

27. emann_222 says:

Well I know that there are many a disgruntled fan here in Montreal regarding this draft pick, but what else is new.

The kid is big, has good hands, played two back to back solid seasons for the Sea Dogs, and we’re going to need some strong D in the next couple of years. Young D that is!

I think he was a steal. If you want to read my full thoughts on the acquisition, and how Beaulieu fits into the Canadiens picture for the future, please read (http://wp.me/p1n6pU-3I) “Montreal Canadiens Select Nathan Beaulieu – 2011 NHL Entry Draft” and leave your thoughts.

Bienvenue au Montreal Nathan!

• Bugs says:

“Au Montreal” sounds like a seedy motel…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• LA Loyalist says:

… and how is that a bad thing?

I was in Knoxville Tennessee one year and they had a motel with a garage for each room, like a house. That way you could close the garage and no one would know who’s car was at the No-Tell Motel with whom.

Not that I know anything about this stuff… just listened to WAY too many country songs about dogs, whiskey, juke boxes – and poutine.

28. zaq007 says:

Anybody else catch Gauthier getting booed and USA chants lol Minnesota

29. HabFanSince72 says:

So the Jets picked Mark Schiefele in 7th place. He was ranked 12th by TSN and 41st by The Hockey News.

They passed on Sean Couturier who is 6’4″ , ranked 5th and 4th by TSN and THN, and was the consensus number one pick until he contracted mononucleosis.

By the time he completely recovered he became a goal per game scorer in the Q.

Sounds like an inauspicious start for the Jets’ second life.

• TomNickle says:

The result of bottom feeding for management.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They’re still paying Rick Dudley too!

Poor Winnipeg.

• TomNickle says:

I was assaulted for saying that I think they’re making mistakes early on. I don’t mind but the facts are that they have a GM who’s served two years under Stan Bowman of all people in the NHL and doesn’t have any NHL experience outside of that.

Their VP and director of hockey ops is a former equipment manager who by his own admission did nothing other than be an employee to get his first promotion to hockey operations and has no professional experience whatsoever.

Their head coach has one hell of a semi-professional record and might be a great add, but if the owner is surrounding him with yes men it isn’t going to work well.

You need healthy disagreements among your hockey operations people and business people to make a successful sports franchise work in my opinion. And having a proven NHL executive mentor these wet behind the ears executives might be a good idea too.

• habsfan0 says:

But, at least in Winnipeg, the language one speaks isn’t a criteria for being hired in a management position; and Manitoba has Canada’s largest francophone population outside Quebec.

• HabFarmer says:

You know what I really like about you? You’re incredibly arrogant. I’m down with that actually. Although I wonder if you’ve ever had to back it up, you know, like in real life.

You said you were assaulted? Wonder what that was like in cyber space and all. Must’ve been painful.

• TomNickle says:

It was a figure of speech. As in, attacked verbally via the internet.

Funny, for a Hab fan on a Hab fan site you don’t seem to take issue with the many comings and goings of people who consistently ridicule Habs management, coaches and players but the second somebody dares to stop and smell the roses just recently blooming from a franchise that has hired a GM with a total 2 years of NHL experience, a VP and director of hockey ops with none and a coach with very few(who I admittedly said was a good candidate), you sure do get your back up in a hurry.

Please, don’t respond to my points about the lack of NHL experience in the Jets’ front office with anything factual about their credentials, what other candidates were available or what direction the team appears to be heading, just call me arrogant and say that I’ve never had to deal with face to face confrontation before.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I’m not too impressed with how Winnipeg is starting things off either. They had a quality hockey man in Rick Dudley and bought him out. They had a respected coach in Craig Ramsey, and now he’s gone too. They had a golden opportunity to market their new jersey and logo at the draft and instead, they present an NHL jersey to their first pick. And who do they pick? Somebody they could have traded down 5-10 spots to get instead of a guy who was projected for much of the year to go top-5.

Maybe PG should try to get them to trade us Kane. They don’t appear to be dealing with a full deck over there.

• TomNickle says:

@ Jan. How dare you? You must be pretty damn arrogant to say that they have no experience and let experienced guys go. What business do you think you have citing facts about a newly re-acquired organization that are going to have all of their hockey and business decisions analyzed under a microscope? Especially their first few.

Some nerve you’ve got.

• shootdapuck says:

Not unless he is working for Burke for free.

Which is doubtful!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• HabFarmer says:

Yeah well admittedly a bit of a long shot but I wasn’t in on the meetings, not like you two. Wasn’t one of you guys saying the Jets weren’t coming back no way no how? Just asking.

I don’t think Chevvy is a bottom feeder, but I’m not down with the NHL insiders like you.

On a more important note I’m liking what Kate Bierness is wearing tonight.

• TomNickle says:

Well, your organization just passed up on a former #1 rated skater for a player who is a converted defenseman.

• HabFarmer says:

Great let’s see what happens! Life is an adventure, “my friend” as you once referred to me (although not really looking to make friends right now).

Time for one more beer…… See ya!

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• TomNickle says:

Smell ya later.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Hiring a new team president made sense, but hiring a couple of their buddies to be coach and GM suggests to me that this Jets organisation is going to be a joke.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• SeriousFan09 says:

A serious tactical error by the new Jets, 10-1 they regret this decision in the next year, let alone 3-5 years from now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• LA Loyalist says:

I really wanted Couturier. I had mono myself, and it knocks you on your ass, but you get over it. If they’re not even smart enough to get a doctor’s opinion – or Google it (do they have internet in Winnipeg?)… that’s pretty frightening.

30. Steven says:

Regarding Muller,

Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to stick with Montreal if he wants to coach an NHL team? It’s likely some team is gonna do bad and fire their coach next year, I mean, it happens all the time. If he goes to coach for the Wolves and does bad, he won’t have a good chance at getting that coveted NHL job.

If he waits till next year, staying behind the Habs bench, when a spot opens up, he’ll likely be first on the list.

Who would have though Beaulieu was available at 17th. Many projections have him in the top 10.

• TomNickle says:

He was all over the map. But that had a lot more to do with Oleksiak, Brodin and Klefbom shooting up the rankings just prior to the draft than it did with his skill set.

The knock on Beaulieu, if there is one, is that he doesn’t do anything other than skate exceptionally well. Not being noticed is kind of the whole point of being a defenseman. He’s off to a good start.

• habsfan0 says:

NHL Central scouting rated Beaulieu #5 (North American skaters.)
      Hey, Carey Price was drafted at #5.
      But then, Benoit Pouliot was drafted at #4.

32. TomNickle says:

Habs now have 3 prospects going to the WJC camp this summer.

33. TomNickle says:

Pierre McGuire just compared Matt Puempel to Brett Hull

He is officially an alcoholic.

34. habsfan0 says:

When are PK’s younger brothers eligible for the draft?

35. since1988 says:

when are the other Habs picks tomorrow?

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    – Mathieu Darche

36. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

So what do you guys think Gauthier would have to offer to get Ladd out of Winnipeg, as he is an RFA? This guy has the size, skill, and TWO Stanley Cup rings…

Americans – mostly dumb, but not all of us

• Talik Sanis says:

It would likely take more than we can afford to offer. One of our top prospects and a pick. Although, I do lack faith in Winipeg’s GM at the moment. He might be foolish enough to move Ladd’s rights for nothing; after all he took Scheifele over Couturier.

We should have ideally moved on Ladd last year when Chicago was shedding players. At the time we might have been able to move Weber, possibly and hopefully Maxwell, and a second round pick for him.

• HabFarmer says:

Yeah we’ll give you Ladd for nothin’ ’cause we’re just dumb country hicks out this way. Betsy Mae what you doin’ in that hay stack?

Scheifele could be the sleeper pick people talk about. Not necessarily a bad one at all.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• Talik Sanis says:

I’m sorry, but taking Scheifele that high was an ill-advised move at best, especially considering the talent that was still available and the possible trade options if they were interested in Scheifele.

Consensus opinion and performance dictate that Couturier is a superior prospect and hockey player than Scheifele. Cheveldayoff displayed poor resource management in picking Scheifele so high, rather than moving down three to five places.

Also, I do not understand your remarks alluding to a supposed regional prejudice on my part. I mentioned the apparent foolishness of the general manager in his selection of Schiefle; I never suggested that it was born out of his being from Saskatchewan, or about the team being in Winnipeg. I made similar, though more vehement pronouncements regarding Brian Burke’s Kessel trade, at the time, and Gainey’s acquisition of Gomez.

Peterborough, Providence or Saskatoon, Montreal, Toronto or Winnipeg, a poor move is a poor move.

Edit- Also, though I had believed this to be obvious, I stated in all seriousness that Winnipeg would require one of our top prospects, like Tinordi, and a draft pick to move Ladd to us. I then wrote a throw away line about them giving him to us for nothing due to the somewhat off the board selection of Scheifele.

Obviously I cannot really think that badly of the management (only a particular move) if I believe that it would take a significant expenditure on our part to acquire Ladd (who is not likely to be parted with easily, given that he is the team captain).

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

If Beaulieu turns out 1/4 of PK it’s a total WIN for the HABS!!!!!

Nathan Beaulieu
    Defense
    Born Dec 5 1992 — Strathroy, ONT
    Height 6.03 — Weight 191 — Shoots Left

mix of size and high end skill, to go a long with a nasty edge
    ETA = 2-3 yrs
    Risk-Reward Analysis: Risk = 1.5/5 Reward = 4.0/5
    NHL Potential: Top Pairing Two-Way Defenseman

source: THW

39. scrowe21 says:

I wanted Jensen so bad…. I HATE the Canucks.

40. mike3131 says:

lol BizNasty tweets: “congrats Connor Murphy. Yotes first round pick. Your already under my wing. Fake ID is being made as we speak.”

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

41. Chorske says:

That frosted flakes commercial with the irritating dad is driving me bonkers. My 11 month old can feed himself, but this kid catching grounders needs to be talked through eating a bowl of cereal? Come ON.