Saturday update: Habs take Sea Dogs D Beaulieu with 17th pick in draft

nbeaulieu

Nathan Beaulieu poses for a portrait following his selection by the Canadiens as No. 17 overall at the NHL Entry Draft at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN, Friday night.
Nick Laham, Getty Images

Post freshened Saturday 6 am ET

The Canadiens have chosen defenceman Nathan Beaulieu of the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs as their first-round pick in the entry draft, No. 17 overall.

A video of Beaulieu on NHL.com is here. Full first-round pick-by-pick selections are here, with hotlinks to bios of each player.

Nathan Beaulieu audio after selection by Canadiens

• Video of Beaulieu in post-draft interview:

Rounds 2 through 7 of the draft run Saturday beginning at 11 am, telecast on NHL Network. Pending trades, the Canadiens will choose in spots 78 (Round 3), 113 (Round 4, from Anaheim), 138 (Round 5), 168 (Round 6) and 198 (Round 7). It’s here that the scouting department’s work will become most clear, as it tries to unearth one or two diamonds in the rough.

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was said to be in Friday-night talks with both the Minnesota Wild and Detroit Red Wings about the negotiation rights of defenceman James Wisniewski, an unrestricted free agent as of July 1. Word was that Gauthier might deal those rights in exchange for a second-round pick; Detroit has a second-round selection, Minnesota does not.

• Dany Dubé of CKAC reported Friday that Kirk Muller could well be leaving the Canadiens to become head coach of Vancouver’s Chicago Wolves farm team. From Pat Hickey in St. Paul: Vancouver GM Mike Gillis says Muller is the obvious choice but Gillis tells Vancouver media he’s not yet talked to the Habs assistant coach. Keeping an eye on this in the hours/days ahead.

• Bio below courtesy futureconsiderations.ca, our generous thanks to Aaron Vickers, Managing Editor

1. kakey says:

Jonathan Huberdeau

Weaknesses: Skinny as an European runway model

LOL rare snarky comment from pro scout report writer.

BTW love the new cleaner Lightning jersey.

2. habsfan0 says:

Pierre Gauthier just offered Scott Gomez to the Leafs. Brian Burke said we’d have to take Komisarek back though.

3. TomNickle says:

Beaulieu has already completed three years of junior. With some added mass, he really may not be that far away from being in the NHL. He could easily make it before Tinordi.

4. I can’t believe Brian Campbell could be traded. Unreal.

• TomNickle says:

And now you know that Gomez can be. Just need the right fit. If Olesz is the return it makes sense, he is a problem cap hit in terms of production vs. dollars for Florida.

• Would love to see Gomez traded but not without a replacement.

• TomNickle says:

I’m comfortable with Eller or Cammalleri in that role. Not sure if Desharnais’ body can hold up to the minutes that role demands but Eller probably could.

• Remember that Eller had shoulder surgery and could be out until November.

• TomNickle says:

I realize he could be out until November but I still wouldn’t ignore trading Gomez if the right deal came along. Cammalleri and Desharnais are easily capable of spot duty for a month if that’s the case.

• If the deal comes along, for sure you have to do it. But at the same time there’s no way Gomez doesn’t rebound significantly this season, and with how weak the east is right now after the demolition of the Flyers and all, I can see the Habs in the Cup finals. So do you risk losing your 2nd and 3rd centers for extended periods or all year? I’m also not 100% sure Eller is ready for top 6 full time.

• TomNickle says:

The Cup aspirations depend greatly on what Gauthier does in the next week. We need a compliment to Cammalleri on that Plekanec line, and I think we need it badly.

Pacioretty will make Gomez better, and I think you’re in that frame of mind too. If nothing else, a full year of Gionta and Pacioretty should get Gomez around 50 points….dare I say at least?

Anyway. I like Andrei Kostitsyn on the third line with Eller and I think the team does too.

• You’re thinking the same thoughts I’m thinking. A hard minutes RW is needed.

• TomNickle says:

Somebody who can control the puck down low and on the walls for that line……yes.

• LA Loyalist says:

Gomez replacement would be dollars/cap space. Then we pounce in March when someone going to the playoffs needs a PP quarterback and has depth at center. Our depth asset: the Wiz

Oh yeah, we’re going to lose him for a 227th round pick.

It isn’t possible for Desharnais to be worse than Gomez. It’ true he may not have the long-term stamina for the big minutes, but I’ll take that chance for this year.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’ve hated Olesz forever here in Florida. I still have a whack of his rookie cards that I just can’t give away.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Cambell is a good D-man, with an albatross contract. Not untradeable for a team looking to make the cap floor. Gomez on the other hand is a crappy player with an albatross contract, which is a little harder to sell.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

HA HA Leafs pick the 53rd ranked player with the 25th pick.

I cant remember a draft that has had so much action. Of course Montreal isn’t in on any of it.

Habs should trade something for a 2nd round pick. Oh wait. They don’t have anything worth a 2nd round draft pick that they can afford to let go. Or do they?

• TomNickle says:

Pouliot or Weber would each fetch second round picks on their own. Ryan White, Travis Moen, the rights to Wisniewski would probably get them a 2nd.

• Chorske says:

PLEASE let it be the rights to Wiz. That way we’ll get something out of him before he walks.

• HardHabits says:

The Wiz camp is waiting for UFA day to test the market, props to _Habso_. Too late to put him into play for a 2nd.

But. Drafting Beaulieu makes signing Wisnieski redundant no?

• TomNickle says:

But if a team that isn’t located in Detroit and is going to have to overpay for him to get him wants a crack. A 2nd or 3rd isn’t the end of the World.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, I’m a big fan of the Wiz, like others here. I just love his offensive potential and his scrapiness. Kinda sad that he will probably not sign with us.

• Talik Sanis says:

While I would love to see it done, upon reflection, I believe that the ship has sailed on moving Wisniewski’s rights for anything significant. It’s a little too close to July 1st for that.

However, with some very attractive talent falling out of the first round, I would love to move Pouliot and some other pieces for second round picks, if possible. At the moment, we might have a shot at Sproul, Jenner, Khokhlachev, Jurco or Grimaldi.

• TomNickle says:

Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Kaberle and Ian White are the only real desirable puck movers on the ufa market, or headed to it rather. A place like Columbus, who need a puck mover, and aren’t the most attractive market could easily send the Habs a 2nd for his rights. Not nearly as likely with Greg Sherman taking a suckers deal on Liles today though.

7. Un Canadien errant says:

After seeing the interview with Grimaldi, I wouldn’t touch that kid with a ten-foot pole. Showing up with a religious-themed tie and tweeting about it. Based on that, you can bet his act would wear thin in the dressing room and on the road.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Petr Svoboda 1) Shayne Corson 2) Stephane Richer 3) Patrick Roy

8. JasonM says:

Habs D in 2-3 years time? DAMN.

Just in time for the end of Gomez’s contract.

See you all in 2013!

• Chorske says:

Oh, I’m sure we’ll find something else to bitch about by the time Gomer’s contract is up. You’ll still be weeping for Jaro, for instance.

well kiss gomez to florida good by, they just picked up brian campbell

10. since1988 says:

Brian Campbell to FLA why didnt they take gomez he has fewer years remaining

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    - Mathieu Darche

11. Rob D says:

Forgot to add..Minnesota`s barn has all the atmosphere of a morgue. Boorish fans booing Bettman whilst Boogard’s family was up on the stand was horrid. SAve it for when he’s up there alone…lol

USA USA! ..after PG speaks French. Classy. Personally, I’ll stick to NYC, Chicago and LA when I visit the US. Those people have the self confidence to welcome different cultures and languages into their towns. There’s nothing more overrated than flyover country.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t be so hard on Minny. It’s a great town. There are a**holes everywhere. Many of them are hockey fans.

And remember Canadians voted Don Cherry as the 7th greatest Canadian.

12. TomNickle says:

Brian Campbell to the Panthers per McKenzie.

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

Here’s a story on Nathan Beaulieu from yesterday’s Telegraph:

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

14. scrowe21 says:

Anyone else get the feeling that Beaulieu wasn’t happy to be drafted by Montreal?

I didn’t get that sense at all. I think with his father being such a hockey guy he was pretty prepared for the draft mentally. May have been dissappointed how much lower he was drafted compared to his rating.

• TomNickle says:

Take a look at the picture of him with his arms around Timmins and Molson. Looks pretty happy to me.

15. Mattyleg says:

On the TSN Draft Tracker, McGuire wrote this about Biggs:
    He is blah blah something something…”and will go to Miami of Ohio.”
    Say whaaaa?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Rob D says:

This draft is full of nice players after the first 5 or 6 taken..Hard to get excited about the remaining players who all seem about the same. It’s always about projecting how they will develop of course, even with the “sure things”. But this is one year I am not freaking out about not having a 2nd round pick. Weak draft overall.

I wanted a bigger forward but there was really not much there. Beaulieu is a solid pick for sure. Made perfect sense to take a guy who fell further than most people expected. I hope we are making some trades to find some toughness and scoring though. We got shut out a few times too many last year.

17. Chorske says:

The girlfriends and hockey moms were WAY hotter last year.

18. Mattyleg says:

Woah, woah, woah…
    How did the Senators get 3 First-Round picks?!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. Captain aHab says:

Burkie is going to draft george St-Pierre.

20. JD_ says:

Smart pick reflectin’ the best player available philosophy. Sizeable D with natural talent. Also comes across as reasonably bright.

The recurrin’ notion on here tonight that you can walk into the draft and fill the holes in your existin’ roster is givin’ me fits of actual laughter.

Now, that’s entertainment.

• Chorske says:

It’s a GREAT pick. Berkshire and I are giggling over on Facebook about Biggs.

• I’m giggling in real life too, to be clear.

The more I read about Mr. Beaulieu the more I think this pick was a home run. The defense in 3 years is going to be tops in the NHL if him and Tinordi pan out. Imagine if Markov is the elder statesman on the blueline? Awesome.

• TomNickle says:

Subban, Markov, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu and one of Yemelin, Pateryn, Ellis, Bennett, Nash, Diaz or Weber.

• Chorske says:

Assuming everyone works out OK, which isn’t obvious with defensemen. But yeah, it’s SUPER promising!

• TomNickle says:

Tinordi and Beaulieu are about as safe of a bet for defensemen that you can get in my opinion.

Much like Subban, Beaulieu’s speed will allow him to recover from mistakes that most defensemen can’t.

Just my opinion.

21. Mattyleg says:

So the HI/O team has given up on posting the draft picks now that the Habs are done?
    I really really don’t want to watch it live. Too goddamn boring. I need SUMMARIZING!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• TomNickle says:

1. Brian Burke will be in discussions with 29 NHL teams about their #1 centreman coming over to Toronto for Kadri.

2. Pierre Mcguire will love everything that the Penguins, Capitals, Red Wings and Blackhawks do.

3. James Duthie will ask GM’s if they’re happy that players ranked in the fourties fell to them in a 20-30 range.

4. Every player with only one year left on their contract will be reported to have been traded to a team with cap room. The report will be retracted with justifications like, no call made to league office, one team got cold feet at the last second.

• Mattyleg says:

This is good.
        Excellent. Yess. Yesssss…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Hey Tom, did you hear that Holmgren asked for Kulemin and Khadri from TO for Richards, Burke made him wait, in the meantime LA came up with their offer. I can’t believe Burke wouldn’t have made that trade. I think he missed the boat there, if that was true.

22. Habby says:

So is Beaulieu going to be the next Markov? We’ve Tinordi ready to take over Gill’s spot one day as the tall D (but with better skating ability). With PK and, hopefully, Josh Gorges our D doesn’t look too shabby for the future. I still hope we draft some forwards though. Two consecutive years with defencemen is good for now IMO.

Also, I feel for Seto. San Jose is insane. I wonder if other players will now be willing to sign contracts with this team if they’re going to get shipped out 24 hours later? Yeah, you might end up going to a nice team but you still committed to the Sharks. And they’ve got some interesting tactics. Last year they scooped up Antti Niemi from Chicago and signed Niklas Hjalmarsson to an offer sheet while Chicago was still juggling with the cap. I like the Sharks as a team but what is up with the management?

The USA! chants were disgusting. Did we boo Minny in 2009? Or is this a bunch of Boston fans still having a hate on for the Habs? If this is the case these people need to grow up and get their priorities right.

The drive for 25 is alive!

• TomNickle says:

When you have 80 point seasons like Thornton, Marleau and Heatley you buy yourself some inconsistent seasons.

Setoguchi has been excellent but hasn’t quite taken that next step. San Jose paid a heck of a lot to get Burns, they need him to be elite.

• Habby says:

Yeah, I didn’t mean that Seto was very vital to SJ. Actually, they’re going to have some cap issues as well. I just meant that he committed to them one day and they traded him the next. Pretty harsh if you ask me but I guess that’s just being ‘aggressive’.

The drive for 25 is alive!

• TomNickle says:

I would imagine that he was made aware that he could be moved. Moving a player just after signing them is incredibly rare and a quick way to earn a poor reputation with player agents, which is what I’m sure you’re getting at.

• Habby says:

I think most guys know they can be moved unless they’ve got NTCs or something. Just so soon is what caught me off guard. Oh well. Best to him and the Sharks. At least most of the trades so far haven’t had a huge impact on the East. :D

The drive for 25 is alive!

23. Chorske says:

Is there anything more boring than a draft when your team doesn’t have a lot of picks in the first two rounds? I should put this on my iPod in the “sleepytime” folder.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

A kid from Ontario, with a French name, who speaks more English than French and who plays in the QMJHL out in the Maritimes. I like that!

What I like more is that in his last two seasons in junior he’s been a + 40-something and he can play well at both ends of the ice.

And thank goodness he’s 6’3″ tall and likes to play the body!

I like this pick!

Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens with open arms Mr. Nathan Beaulieu!

“I had the idea that I should beat up every player I tangled with, and nothing ever convinced me it wasn’t a good idea.”
    Ted Lindsay

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sounds like Poo Poo. Where’s Bugs whe you need him?

• Hobie Hansen says:

If you’re talking about Pouliot??? I wouldn’t mind seeing him on the 3rd line with Eller and Kostitsyn after we sign another forward for the top six.

Ted Lindsay

• HardHabits says:

I’ve thought about that very same 3rd line.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Makes sense but after signing Desharnais, not sure that is possible?

Ted Lindsay

• Mike D says:

Funny. I’ve thought about that line too ever since the season ended. I even dubbed it “The Potential Line” in my own mind. They could be scary offensively if the chemistry is there (with reasonable improvements in each players weaker categories), they are all big players, and could make for a great energy 3rd line. Only problem is none of them are particularly good defensively. Andrei made progress in that category this year and Eller was coached/guided along those lines but it was new for him by his own admission. Pouliot and defense don’t seem to go together any more than Pouliot and balance do.

But as you mentioned, there’s the DD thing and he’s on a 1 way contract so he’s definitely staying with the big club. Wonder if he could play the other wing with Cammy and Pleks. I know – that would be an incredibly small line and the thought of it alone brings bad thoughts to mind, but hey, it just might work.

- Honestly yours

• Chorske says:

Doesn’t really. The knock on Nathan was judgement, whereas the knock on Pouliot has always been motivation and confidence.

Bugs will surely speak up on this soon, I predict a thumbs up.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bugs is OK in my books. Although he does deserve a good smack on occasion!

Ted Lindsay

25. Shiloh says:

My home internet is out so I’m in the back yard piggybacking on the neighbour’s wireless. I really like that we were able to get Beaulieu at #17. Any negative reaction here?

26. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow, Burkie is just a media dream. He just loves being on camera.

27. HabFarmer says:

Dude!! Tyler Biggs is SPICOLI!!!

28. Talik Sanis says:

I am very pleased. We get a big faller, and Burke throws away assets to draft Tyler Biggs of all people. And here I was afraid that Gautier would go after him with our first round pick.

29. _Habsoloutly_ says:

TEAM AMERICA!!!!

Hard to say. Not entirely excited about this pick. Mark McNeill might have been better. I would have even preferred Zack Phillips or Boone Jenner.

But…..

This pick makes sense at least for one reason. He’s the best Francophone available. And he fits the mould of the Habs drafting mobile puck moving defensemen.

But…..

He is a Memorial Cup winner. As stated he is rated #5 by Central Scouting Rankings.

So. Even though I am pissed. It’s a happy piss. ;-)

• TomNickle says:

You would have been satisfied with Conan, the Barbarian, not the comedian.

• HardHabits says:

The Habs can still grab Conan the Barbarian in the 3rd round if they’re lucky.

I was hoping for a big over 6 foot tall potential #1 centre or a bona fide power forward.

In all honesty I never even consider Beaulieu so I had no real knowledge of him but after reading more I will begrudgingly accept.

• TomNickle says:

No #1 centremen left at that pick Dave. McNeill is a project who will probably end up being a winger. I like his skill set but he’s probably not going to be a centreman when the dust settles.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

You’d need a crystal ball to know that.

• TomNickle says:

Let me rephrase. Beaulieu has a better chance of evolving into an elite defensemen than any of the centreman left do of evolving into an elite #1 centreman.

• HardHabits says:

@TN: the more I look at this pick the more I like it. I admit that I was clamoring for a big Canadian centre but this kid looks like a steal at 17th.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Beaulieu is not francophone. His dad is Franco-Ontarian, his mom is anglophone, and he grew up speaking English in Ontario.

He did address this issue on TSN, says he’ll have to polish up his French now that he’s drafted by the Canadiens.

I like the kid.

———————————

• Former Jets Fan says:

He’s anglophone. I got a great impression from his interview with Duthie. Articulate and confident. When asked about pressure, he laughed it off and said he was used to it as a coach’s son. Craig Button said arguably the best skater in the 1st round. I was expecting a winger, but I like this.

31. slapshot777 says:

I didn’t know that Dave Poulin was in tyhe Toronto organization, I would have figured he would be in the Flyer or Bruin organization.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

32. TomNickle says:

You would think that somebody in the Leafs organization would brow beat Burke into acquiring skill.

He just doesn’t seem to like it.

33. Ron says:

HaHa burkie picks another yank. Man he is something. Now McGuire is doing the old wet pants thing over Biggs.

34. savethepuck says:

That was a shocker! He went way off the board there.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

35. showey47 says:

Wonder if burke is giving himself credit for the bruins winning the cup by drafting the sedins?

36. mike3131 says:

Tyler Biggs of course!

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

37. savethepuck says:

Would anyone bet against Burkie picking Biggs? He fights

So James Duthie says this Noeson kid is compared to Corey Perry, but on the screen they compare him to Max Lapierre, what am i missing in this comparison

39. Captain aHab says:

I had somehow missed the news that Markov got a ntc in his contract…is there aything his agent didn’t get for him?

He doesn’t have the KHL clause instead of Hamilton. We can send him down. Please note the sarcasm

• Mattyleg says:

Is there anything he doesn’t deserve?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

I thought three years for a guy coming off of two knee injuries was plenty generous enough without the ntc

There is no way we want to trade him, that is why we signed him. If he stays healthy we probably extend a year or two, if he is hurt again, well lets not think that way.

• Captain aHab says:

You simply cannot know right now if you might want to trade him in a couple of years

• Mattyleg says:

That’s the problem with the way a lot of people see the NHL.
          They forget that players are people, and that loyalty and dedication counts for something, and that you want to do well by people who have done well by you.

Markov isn’t just “a guy coming off two knee injuries.” He’s someone who’s come through the system, bleeds Bleu-Blanc-Rouge, and even got his goddamn Canadian citizenship.

If you can’t give someone like that a good deal, your name is Burkie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Andrei is an All-Star defenceman. His contract is very reasonable. As far as the NTC, it’s not clear whether there is one or not.

In any case, you gotta love that Andrei wanted a deal that kept him in Montreal. He’s not a Kostitsyn or Latendresse, he works hard and plays with heart and wears the CH with pride.

Congratulations to him and Mr. Gauthier.

———————————

• savethepuck says:

He should have a no trade clause, been with the organization since the 90′s

40. Un Canadien errant says:

C’mon Minnesota, pick it up a notch. Clearly not enough booing for Buttman.

———————————

41. Un Canadien errant says:

(from Hockey’s Future) Nathan Beaulieu

Talent Analysis

Great skating ability like Beaulieu’s cannot be taught and his mobility helps him out tremendously at both ends of the ice. Equally apt at making a solid first pass as he is with leading the rush, Beaulieu has both the size and the skill to be a top two-way defenseman. He continues to improve his play in his own end, although still susceptible to some errors from time to time. Also needs to exert a consistent physical presence.

———————————

42. twilighthours says:

Habs D in a few years: beaulieu, PK, emelin, tinordi, weber, gorges. I like it.

43. issie74 says:

Wow …. The Habs got lucky.

NorthTOHab

• Un Canadien errant says:

Maybe. Mr. Gauthier says teams were calling for our pick, I would have like him to trade down and pick up a second rounder. We really need to gather assets, our farm team has slim pickings right now.

———————————

44. Mothstoflame says:

The San Jose Sharks once again signed a key player before he could test the free agent market, agreeing Thursday to a $9 million, three-year deal with forward Devin Setoguchi.

Setoguchi was eligible to become a restricted free agent July 1 but wanted to stay in San Jose. The feeling was mutual as the Sharks got the deal done early.

Then they threw him under the bus. I have to say this has been a great draft week!

45. Mattyleg says:

This might be old news, but Winnipeg’s team is going to be the Jets again!
    Cool.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow, McNeill looks like a big tough center. Why exactly did we take a small D-man instead of him???

• Mattyleg says:

…and 6’2″ is small where?
      The Land Of Giants?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mike3131 says:

in the NBA.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

is he really 6’2? Crap, I thought he was a small guy! My bad. But McNeill looks like a better fit for the habs. A big tough center who goes to the net. Oh, wait, we have Gomez, we don’t need any depth at the center position right?

• TomNickle says:

Beaulieu was ranked #5 by Central Scouting. The Habs got him at #17. Hard to pass on him there.

• mike3131 says:

Similar to Cam Fowler last year.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I just heard them mention that. So why did he slip so far? and why wouldn’t the Habs start stocking up on big gritty forwards like McNeill? I don’t get it. It’s not like we don’t have depth at the D position?

• Bill says:

You’ve said that a few times, but Central Scouting had him 5th among only North American skaters. I agree he’s a good pick at 17. McNeill is a coin-toss, could be really good or mediocre or never make it. I saw Beaulieu play in the Q a few times and I think he’s a sure thing.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TomNickle says:

Oleksiak, Klefbom and Brodin shot up the rankings like wildfire in the last two weeks. People fall in love with certain aspects of players. Oleksiak because of size, Brodin because of his offensive ability and Klefbom for solid two way game.

Beaulieu has done nothing but be an excellent defenseman for two years and has excelled in most areas of the game with no glaring weaknesses. He also works out in the summer with Cody Hodgson, Sam Gagner and a couple of other NHLers and has said that he evaluates his game by trying to get it to their levels. Pretty solid development track if you ask me.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Cool, sounds good to me. I didn’t really have this kid on my radar.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Habs spent the 90s picking big gritty WHLers. Not one of those guys ever played in the NHL.

• Talik Sanis says:

I thought the exact same thing. I couldn’t believe when looking at him that he was over 6’2″. It may be that simply standing in Bettman’s presence makes you look smaller.

• Habhopeful says:

bealieu is 6′,3″ …no?

Beaulieu is 6’2 – 175.

47. EricInStL says:

Oh well…..hopefully this will not be like 2003. Oh God it better not be…MCNEILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

48. EricInStL says:

Solid trade by Minny

49. WOWW

Blockbuster: SJS trades Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle and 1st pick (No. 28) to MIN for Brent Burns and a 2nd rd pic

50. mike3131 says:

Big trade!

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

51. Keith says:

I like the kid. Sounds like he’s got alot of character. Looking forward to seeing in a Hab’s sweater soon.

52. EricInStL says:

Solid interview by Beaulieu.

53. RobertAlanFord says:

I said it might happen and someone called me out on it saying he’d go to high before we had a chance…… I win. Wanted McNeill though.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

54. mike3131 says:

Alright its settling in. Decent pick. Better not be a David Fischer.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

55. scrowe21 says:

I was so excited for this draft..what a let down.. mistake not taking Jensen or Puempel.

56. EricInStL says:

Will be ready when Markov moves on.

A good to potential great pick. No one will get fired for this one.

See you July 1st……

57. petefleet says:

Should have picked Mark MacNeill. The Habs need a centreman and he is going to be great according to the central scouting.
    Timmons misses a good one.

***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

If you’re going by central scouting. They had Beaulieu #5 overall. Pretty good pick at 17

• petefleet says:

So maybe they can trade him for a centreman?

***Habs Forever***

• Marc10 says:

Yes. This guy was rated just outside the top 10. He describes himself at a puck moving D that QB’s the PP. He could shift a lot of bodies on his way to the club.

Whatever happened to Mac Bennett?

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
        Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Jim Edson says:

Agreed, look at the size of MacNeill!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Lovely Minnesotans. I guess hockey fans are the same everywhere.

59. PrimeTime says:

I’m happy. Glad he was thre for the taking. Bon Chance!

60. _Habsoloutly_ says:

the american troglodyte’s chanting USA when they here PG speak french. Typical.

61. Keith says:

Solid pick He’s a keeper!

62. Paulin98C says:

Gotta grab the best player available… Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens Nathan!

63. _Habsoloutly_ says:

haha, they just showed Beaulieu sticking his gum under the seat.

64. slapshot777 says:

What the Hell, Mcguire giving props to the Habs for the pick.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

65. EricInStL says:

Aurghhhhhh……….. It’s a safe pick I guess.

66. TomNickle says:

Central Scouting’s #5 ranked player at #17. Nothing wrong with that.

67. Solid Pick by the Habs.

I like it. Nathan Beaulieu.

68. Habhopeful says:

as much as a forward would have been good, beaulieu seems like a good pick

69. showey47 says:

Had a feeling they would pick him if he was still available

70. mike3131 says:

NOOOOO!

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

71. EricInStL says:

No Pierre we need SIZE….

72. T-roy West says:

Grimaldi! You heard it here first, lol. No, No!

73. TomNickle says:

First round pick for Brouwer? HAHA

74. Jim Edson says:

What obscure unknown will Timmins draft?

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.