And the band of brothers plays on

• Halak extends supernatural ride – Stubbs

In the room – Hickey

• Penguins lose their poise – Hickey

Canadiens improving with each series – Arpon Basu (who predicted a 4-1 Canadiens win last night)

Details count with Cammalleri – Jean-François Bégin

Year of the smurf – Eric Duhatschek

Penguins played “indifferent hockey” – Michael Farber

• Champs beaten like rented mules – Scott Burnside

Dare to dream, Habs fans – Damien Cox

Something in the air – Eric Engels

Photo of Scott Gomez and his smiling owner, Geoff Molson, by Allen McInnis of The Gazette

Celebration
turns ugly

Video: The party, before the morons got into it

P778d7FKFng

1. adam76 says:

why does he hate ’em so much?

Didn;t he apply for the GM job in 2003?

2. punkster says:

?…

FEEL THE PRIDE!

3. MontrealAtheist says:

I don’t approve of rioting any more than I approve of earthquakes and tsunamis … However, they all happen and I learned to live with it.

It’s not the first time there are playoff riots in Montreal and you’d expect Montreal police would find a way to deal with it.

4. Chuck says:

I LOVE that Jaro is winning games. I love it even more that he’s playing at his best in elimination games. But to put him in the same league as Roy, only two rounds into the playoffs? A little premature, don’t you think? What about that little detail of, say, winning the Cup?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

5. MontrealAtheist says:

I would say the chances are very good … There are still many individual playoff tickets available through the Canadiens web site, I did not have any problems getting tickets for the Caps and Pens series.

A few tips:

1) Using multiple browsers (or browser sessions) on the same computer does not increase your chances and believe me, I tried … There probably is a way, but I was too busy buying tickets to figure out exactly how to trick the system … lol

2) Using multiple computers (even if they share the same public IP address via NAT) works, so try to borrow a few extra computers/notebooks for Saturday and join the virtual waiting room with a browser on each machine.

3) You can only get two tickets at a time (using a single credit card), so trying to get consecutive seats for a larger group of people is next to impossible.

4) Tickets are expensive … getting a few extra tickets and selling them for a little profit in order to pay for your own tickets would not hurt. Remember, if you don’t do it, the scalpers sure will snatch them (and attempt to sell for 2-3 times the face value).

6. Chuck says:

Yeah, because he was lights-out fantastic in that game where his SV% was under .840… and the two others under .760.

What I’ve loved most about Jaro’s play is that he’s played his absolute best when the team has faced elimination. Let’s all hope that he continues to do so.

And my point of view is not about disrespecting Jaro. It’s about acknowledging other players who are just as responsible for the team’s success.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

7. Clay4bc says:

Nice try, Chuck. Halak’s performance is already on par with the all time greats, and he did it against arguably the two best teams in the league, and teams that score a lot. Philly is doing it to the Bruins, the lowest scoring team the league this season.

And Roy was never in a game where his team was OUTSHOT by 32 shots, as Halak was in his 53 save performance in game 6 against the Caps. He is also 5-0 in elimination games. Like it or not, Chuck (and I know you don’t like it), a legend has been born.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

8. MontrealAtheist says:

That facelift was the catalyst for the product you see now.

That’s certainly true and he deserves credit for making these radical changes although neither Gainey nor anyone else could possibly foresee what would happen during the playoffs … Let me ask you this though:

If the current team would have lost the series against the Caps in 4 or 5 games, would you have blamed Gainey for putting this team together? If yes, then fair enough … If not, then it would seem that there is some double standard here whereby Gaines gets the credit when the team succeeds but is immune to criticism in the absence of any success.

9. smiler2729 says:

Yeah but Friedman really brought himself down a notch in my book when he was interviewing Brian Gionta between periods during last game vs. Toronto, all he could ask Gio was what he thought of the Leafs’ first line, about how much they’d improved, Leafs this, Leafs that, no wonder all of CANADA HATES TORONTO.

Crosby had a hard time understanding the strategy of giving up a 2-1 shots against ratio as a means of winning a series.

Orpik and Geurin gave credit where credit was due.

The difference between being mature and not I guess.

11. Chuck says:

Not to take anything away from Halak, but last night the Flyers proved why heaping all of the praise on the goalie might be a little misguided. They’re one win away from the conference finals, and are on their third goalie of the playoffs… and Leighton only started 31 games this year and had a .905 SV%.

As I’ve said before, Halak has been stunning in a number of games… but we’ve also won games that he’s come far from stealing. And at time he’s also flat-out sucked.

In the ’86 playoffs, Roy was 15-5 with a 1.93 GAA (at a time when goal scoring was a LOT higher than today). Halak already has 5 losses through 2 rounds, with a respectable 2.42 GAA. If he wins his next 8 games and lowers his GAA by half a point, then we can start comparing his overall performance to Roy.  😉

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

12. TomNickle says:

Ok…..I guess we have a different idea of what an adjustment is.  I thought you were referring to things he was doing in game that were having an effect on the outcome.  As for the Powerplay thing, no adjustments were made, they just got back to shot blocking.  Something they didn’t do well on the kill in game 1 which Martin actually noted, no adjustments, just better lane obstruction.

As for Gainey.  He doesn’t deserve all of the credit for the team’s success because nobody does.  Just like he didn’t deserve to be verbally abused by people like you when the team was hovering around .500 during the season.

If the coach and the players are to receive all of the credit for wins, why would the GM be the target of blame for losses?

It’s clear at this point that he identified and signed players with heart that wouldn’t accept mediocrity like the prior group did.

It’s painful to say but a team led by Saku Koivu never responded well to adversity.  There’s a large difference in the quality of people in the room now than there was at this time last year.

You can nitpick at the moves he made up until July and I’m sure that he would agree that there were mistakes.  He admitted mistakes when he let eight players go without trying to retain their services and brought in a new core overnight.

That facelift was the catalyst for the product you see now.

13. Clay4bc says:

*facepalm, utter disbelief at the disrespect to Jaro*

Speechless

__________________________

14. Daard says:

Ed, thank you for your post which illustrates clearly how the normal ordinary average Joe has no clue whatsoever about crowd-control.

15. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

flew back home. we dont play again until sunday night. cbc for certain we show habs.

16. MontrealAtheist says:

My bad … I meant surviving 1st round instead of reaching it.

And by the way, last time we reached round 1 Gainey had almost absolute control over the team as both GM and coach and it did not go well, even though it was him who picked all the players in the team.

17. REB says:

Mara was a 1-yr signing; I don’t expect him back.  Bergeron was a 1-yr signing, and now that we see Subban also has a howitzer from the point, I don’t really expect him back.

Remember also, that we have both Webber and Belle who are ready for the big-show. While Carle lalso ooked ready, he is just way too injury-prone.

18. Chuck says:

Jaro’s been stunning in 4 games, and has played well enough to get W’s in the rest of the Hab wins. Cammy has been lights-out excellent in EVERY game. And without his timely scoring, we’re pooched.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

19. MontrealAtheist says:

Adjustments that JM made during the last two series? Hmmm, containing the Penguins power play after they struck 4 times in game 1, moving Moen in line with Gionta & Gomez, letting Halak rest during game 4 of Caps series come to mind … all of these were done in response to failures/shortcomings he saw in previous games.

I have no doubt that apart from the players that Gainey picked, the team also needed a new direction and leadership in order to succeed …

There is little reason to think that another year with Gainey on the helm would result in any different results from what we’ve seen over the past 6-7 years.

20. Clay4bc says:

Cammy is a close second, but the nod goes to Halak. EVERY single member of the media agrees with this, BTW. Dryden like performance. Roy like performance. Now in the future it will also be called Halak like…

__________________________

21. Mr_MacDougall says:

Also Malkin should have been in the box for damn near tearing Giontas head off after the 2nd that game too!

22. Grabbed The Cup says:

That’s something that I’ve been pondering lately, as phenominally as Halak has played it seems unthinkable that the MVP would go to anyone else, but what if the playoffs end and Cammi has 24 goals?

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

23. StevieRay says:

LOL .. Healy is a moron … doesn’t bring anything to the broadcast … jar is always 1/2 empty .. I loved it when Elliote F cut him off “twice ” during the post game sumarries !!! Friedman .. now there’s a guy I can listen to .

24. TomNickle says:

Funny.  I thought they reached the 2nd round twice prior to this year with Gainey as GM.