And the band of brothers plays on

• Halak extends supernatural ride – Stubbs

In the room – Hickey

• Penguins lose their poise – Hickey

Canadiens improving with each series – Arpon Basu (who predicted a 4-1 Canadiens win last night)

Details count with Cammalleri – Jean-François Bégin

Year of the smurf – Eric Duhatschek

Penguins played “indifferent hockey” – Michael Farber

• Champs beaten like rented mules – Scott Burnside

Dare to dream, Habs fans – Damien Cox

Something in the air – Eric Engels

Photo of Scott Gomez and his smiling owner, Geoff Molson, by Allen McInnis of The Gazette

turns ugly

Video: The party, before the morons got into it

1. smiler2729 says:

Too bad, although I like Bob Cole (who still calls a great game in spite of all the naysayers), I really like Gord Miller… and I want to hear Pierre McGuire eat crow on the Habs (why does he hate ’em so much?)

After Cole on HNIC, I’m beginning to really like Mark Lee (ex-CFCF in Mtl) and Jim Hughson is okay (he still reminds me of a video game) but the colour guys like Simpson, Galley and Weekes are personality-less. And of course, Glen Healy’s a moron.

I miss Don Wittman

2. TomNickle says:

You’re giving Jacques Martin and Jaroslav Halak all of the credit for these series wins.  While I think Jacques Martin has done a great job in the playoffs and it goes without saying for Halak.  Tell me one adjustment that Martin’s made that you’ve seen that’s put our team over top of the Penguins and Capitals.

I think it’s quite clear at this point that he’s done the opposite of make adjustments.  He’s preached consistency in the face of adversity.  Things like not chasing Crosby and Ovechkin around, just maintain a strong backcheck and keep them within a stick length to obstruct shots and passing lanes.

And if you’re saying that Bob Gainey resigning is a deciding factor in the team’s recent success, you’re quite off the mark.  If it’s his fault when they aren’t playing well, it must be his fault when they are playing well.

3. davecessna says:

I was half joking with a friend this morning that Montreal police should adopt a shoot-first policy after Habs games.

4. MontrealAtheist says:

Are you saying that picking the right players is the only factor that determines that outcome of a series? Gainey has been picking players for Montreal for 6-7 years, yet has nothing to show for except for reaching round 1 twice. If he’s such a genius, shouldn’t we have won 6 Stanley Cups under his reign?

Sure, picking the players is one factor and he deserves some credit where credit is due, but let’s stop pretending that he’s the primary reason for this success: Any team that plays their hearts out, believes in themselves, has great fan support and a great coach can pull off a few miracles and know out supposed “favorites”. Gainey picked most players and the coach, but he cannot control their state of mind, their hearts, their energy or us fans. Remember, he has been picking players and coaches in Montreal for a long time without any results.

GO HABS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. MontrealAtheist says:

And he’s earned every cent of it … JM outcoached both the Caps and the Pens and made adjustments whenever they were due while Boudreau and Bylsma were so convinced that what they were doing was right and they just needed to do more of it and things would magically fall into place.

6. topher5468 says:

Hey Shake, there was is good You Tube on their arrival back to montreal last night, The real fans were there, not those looting rioting butt holes

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

7. Chuck says:

If you’re talking MVP, you’ve also got to throw Cammy’s name into the ring… and quite possibly give him the nod, too. The guy has yet to have a bad game in these playoffs.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

8. TomNickle says:

Jacques Martin blew a fuse at the conclusion of the 2nd period of the 5th game.  Crosby punches Hamrlik in the back of the head after slashing Gorges but doesn’t get called.  He screens Halak for the eventual game winner on the powerplay early in the third when he should’ve been in the box.

9. Max_a_million says:

I was being a little satirical perhaps

10. Clay4bc says:

Seriously though…ever since the media across the country (and even in the USA) called them out on it after game 3 (I believe), they had to get it together. It was just too blatant

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

11. TomNickle says:

and no role is more important to the outcome than any other.

Most accurate post about this team and playoff success in general that’s been put up since the middle of April.

Every tiny play counts this time of year, the Conn Smythe is a terrible trophy for that reason.

12. TomNickle says:

The guy is embracing the limelight.  I don’t think anyone could argue that he wouldn’t have had 40 goals this season if not for the injury and then to suddenly find his touch after a scoring slump at the most important time of his career is very admirable.

I see no signs that he won’t continue to be an effective scorer.  He’s got at least ten years of hockey left in him too.

13. AndyF says:

Josh Gorges is playing some of the most inspired hockey I’ve ever seen a defenseman play.   Yes, Halak is the MVP so far, but Gorges is anchoring the defensive squad through leadership, and rock-solid positioning and passing.  Truly career-making stuff!

AndyF – Site of Aerolab, A Virtual Windtunnel
    for You and Your Bike

14. Chuck says:

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

15. Chuck says:

I think that it was Coach Martin that got the $500,000 bonus.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

16. forskis says:

Oh for sure Metropolit is injured but for a man with at most 2 seasons left…this is great for him.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

17. adam76 says:

I think TSN is done after Friday.

18. Chuck says:

Darn right about Moen and the rest of the crew. They’re proving that you win as a TEAM. And in team execution, every player has a role… and no role is more important to the outcome than any other.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

19. forskis says:

To keep it even-keel…I think Cammalleri would need to do this scoring for several playoffs in a row before being considered world-class…in these playoffs he is just removing the mantle of not being a performer due to his 3 pts. in 6 games in last year’s playoffs.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

20. adam76 says:

agree 100% – love how the Toronto based media are making it sound like the guy with the thousand dollar seat is smashing up a liquor store.

21. TomNickle says:

Pouliot is the only guy currently playing that hasn’t had a major positive impact on a game.

It’s certainly a testament to their heart that so many guys have contributed.

The day after the Habs clinched somebody posted that Moore would stop trying because he gets a $500,000 bonus when the team makes the playoffs.  YEAH.  He’s been terrible.

22. SLONCOLD says:

like you said before winning cures all. I remember looking at the moen deal saying i dunno… but this guy has had 2 huge goals for us in the playoffs and blocking shots and playing the game as hard as it comes.

Also, i’m gonna say wow to pleks. he might not be scoring but his faceoffs have been great and did he do a job on shutting down malkin or what!!!

23. avatar_58 says:

Where? I don’t live in montreal….:(

24. smiler2729 says:

Not only should Hab fans “act like we’ve been there before” but the looters aren’t even part of the hockey madness, they’re just classless pieces of sh*t that don’t even deserve a mention.

25. Chuck says:

They are sold everywhere… they’re just sold out.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

26. Chuck says:

They flew into Montreal last night.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

27. smiler2729 says:

First, I think Glen Metropolit is playing injured.

Second, there is NO WAY Ovenchicken should be mentioned in the same breath with Stanley Cup winners like the Rocket, Orr, Gretzky and even Crosby.

Third, your “win a Cup in Toronto” statement should’ve included “when pigs fly”.

28. SLONCOLD says:

city should impose an 11:30pm st catherine street curfew…. those people who destroy stores put a black mark on this city. it’s a hockey game……

29. jimmy shaker says:

Did the team fly back last night or are they going to stay on the road?  And I’m betting CBC has the habs series and TSN has the hawks/sharks series!  Any confirmation on that?

30. avatar_58 says:

So how can I buy a Subban t-shirt? Why are they STILL not sold anywhere? Does marketting not want my cash?

31. JF says:

In their post-game comments, both Brooks Orpik and Bill Guerin displayed the kind of class that Crosby so conspicuously lacked all series.

“You’ve just got to start giving credit to this team, this is a good team
    we lost to here.” Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik

And Guerin said: “Obviously, you have to give Montreal a lot of credit. They played some
    amazing hockey this series. Their defensive play was incredible. Their
    team play was as good as I’ve seen. They deserve a lot of the credit.”

32. TomNickle says:

Mike Cammalleri could very well be developing into a world class player right before our eyes.

33. Connecticut Man1 says:

They need (and deserve) a little rest.

With Subban playing the game he is playing… Someone is probably going to get moved or go unsigned on the D side next year.

34. TomNickle says:

Haha….you thumb your nose at the man who put every piece of this team other than Dominic Moore together.

Did you not see who Ray Shero congratulated first last night?

There’s a reason for that my friend.

35. forskis says:

Getting to the 3rd round is great and even though many feel proud of the team…I am just feeling happy for the guys who never thought they would get this far, the older guys, the grinders:  like Metropolit despite his 2:50 in playing time, Dominic Moore (even though he is only 29 he looks much older), Darche the journeyman despite his 2:50 in playing time, etc. and for the younger guys it is a good thing to experience when younger…I don’t think Subban ever thought his path to the NHL 3rd round would be through the AHL 1st round, Pyatt is experiencing what hockey is all about in Montreal and what makes playing hockey so special.

Also, Cammalleri said it best post-game when he echoed what we are all saying now:  they were written off on July 1st, during the regular season, the 1st round and the 2nd round and here they are now going into the 3rd…but it is what it is, they just need to continue having fun.

To me, there are three ways to hockey immortality

1)  Be an awesome player like Richard, Orr, Crosby, Gretzky, Ovechkin, etc.;

2)  Win a Cup in Toronto;

3)  Win a Cup in Montreal or better yet, win a few Cups in Montreal.

No one on the Habs roster is of the quality of (1)…many of us hope (2) never happens…but this bunch is halfway to (3) and having their names live on forever…look at how much we still gush over ’93 and ’86…

The Bruins or Flyers will not be easy…they play more physical and the B’s play a defensive scheme…good luck to Les Boys.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

36. JustSomeguy says:

My wife during the game: “Jesus, I wish someone would wipe the smirk off Lapierre’s face.” “I think that’s the point.” “Still.”

And happy b’days to Halak and Subban!

Here’s hoping you’ll be playing in the middle of May in the years to come 🙂

37. Mr_MacDougall says:

I usually pay double.. sometimes more.. at StubHub.. always tickets there, even for Superbowl etc.

38. Mr_MacDougall says:

Well, the ref did feed Kunitz in the slot for the Pens first goal HAHHAHA

39. Connecticut Man1 says:

Not sure about chewing off arms but I am sure that Mario might want to chew out a few guys in his lineup. But after shutting down two high powered offensive teams I am not sure that the other teams are as much to blame for what they doing wrong as the Habs are to be recognized for what they are doing right.

40. Mr_MacDougall says:

Normally, when looting occurs, it is the opportunists that see so much chaos they know they can get away witht heft much easier.. people that break the law anyway and see an opportunity to get an “easy score.” Can’t remember the last time I celebrated anything by going into town and stealing and smashing a bunch of stuff… well besides when my GST cheque comes every three months AHHAHAA

41. adam76 says:

Where are all the conspiracy theory fools?

boy did those refs ever screw us last night!

42. Mr_MacDougall says:

OH YEAH!!!!! The boys have a few days off.. have some beer, ice the wounds, enjoy the moment! Hopefully the duct tape holds Gill’s leg together and Markov figures out how to skate with the knee brace!

I will admit, I didn’t watch a whole lot of games while Mara was playing (other than the two I saw live at the Bell Centre Superbowl weekend.. where we beet the Pens) he is skating.. would he help us or is he done for the year? Any word on Markov? or is he just desperate to get back out there with no real chance of returning?

43. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Reported on Team 990 this morning, Sidey Crosby had a lower body injury throughout series, he had a bad case of diaper rash!

44. lenny says:

you have no chance…most of the tickets are already taken by season ticket holders…of the ticketd on sales very few are actually for the public

45. DavidKB says:

Re: Riot!?  19 950 fans at the Bell Centre, and 50 or so idiots (if they were even at the game)!

46. Omit says:

You keep repeating this idiotic statement, and others, without any embarrassment whatsoever.  We used to call people like you a troll on this site.

47. adam76 says:

So tickets for game 4 – what are the odds of actually getting into the “virtual” lineup and picking up a set?

48. HabFanSince72 says:

49. Grabbed The Cup says:

The main difference being you don’t feel the need to chew your own arm off in the morning.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

50. Connecticut Man1 says:

This years Habs are kind of like the ugly guy or girl that is really great at sex. Ain’t always pretty to watch but it still leaves the other side screwed senseless.

51. Mr.Hazard says:

“What a blast. This is just a great group of guys coming together,” Gomez said.

S’What it’s all about!

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

52. notbigbird says:

Don Cherry made an excellent point last night. Sure, BG signed small players, but he also signed Moen and Gill (I don’t think he mentioned Mara). Kind of balances out. And these small guys play huge. To wit: Gionta always playing in traffic in front of the net.

53. smiler2729 says:

The rioting is embarrassing for the majority of Montrealers except the baby brained looters.

It happens a lot now and not only in Montreal. I remember Detroit set on fire in ’89 after the Pistons won. I remember the morons who looted on Yonge St. in ’92 after the Rodney King verdict.

Opportunistic pieces of sh*t is all they are.

54. ShangaDoo says:

Wow. I couldn’t even post last night after the game. Kudos to those who are able to watch and post…too difficult for me.

I just want to say, this is the first time I am experiencing the Habs make it past Round 2. This is new to me and I am loving every single minute of it.

Sooner or later, the boys are going to have to realize that they are supposed to be here.

Go Habs Go

55. Connecticut Man1 says:

Listening to Crosby after the game I think he needs to learn the basic rules of the game. A lot of discretion allowed in a boarding penalty and hitting a guy into the boards a long time after the puck is moving up to the other end of the ice ain’t exactly the smartest thing to do.

56. notbigbird says:

“We’re trying to get better here as a team and I think we’re getting
    better,” Cammalleri said. “We improved in this series, we didn’t play
    hang-on as much as we did in the first series. I don’t claim we’re this
    great team and I don’t claim we’re perfect and I’m not claiming that
    everything we do is on purpose. We’re just trying to find ways to win
    and we’re improving as we go. If you saw us on our toes a little more,
    maybe we’re improving a little bit.”

57. smiler2729 says:

Another idiotic statement. Pro-riot, are ya? Oh well, God still loves you, brother.

58. smiler2729 says:

What an idiotic statement. God loves you anyway.

59. 123456 says:

because after he resigned so many moves were made. why not celebrate success today??

60. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

a word about the rioters. montreal seems to allow it! the youth in montreal are NO DIFFERENT than the youth in any major city all over the world.

the difference here: montreal police allow the rioting to start and then its too late.

Hello POLICE!!!

How about we figure out how to control the crowds BEFORE the riots begin???

I don’t blame the youth – they are idiotic and intoxicated – no different than anywhere.

If you don’t appreciate rioting and looting – and I don’t, since I live here with my family – its time to start holding the people responsible…..accountable.

The police who were supposed to keep the peace last night should be held accountable.

61. MontrealAtheist says:

It’s not about individual players, I think, except for Halak … Remember that we beat the Pens in game 6 without Gill.

The team is playing with a lot of heart and as a unit and has the benefit of a good coach who knows how to make adjustments when they are due.

62. Fansincebirth says:

Two guys I wanted to see pulverized last night:

Crosby for being such a whiny crybaby and Cooke for being such a douche player. Then again, they’re cleaning out their lockers today and we’re waiting for the next round.

Justice is done! :o)

63. MontrealAtheist says:

The two best moves Gainey ever did as GM were to hire JM and to resign … Without either one of these moves, the present playoff run would not even be happening.

GO HABS GO !!!

64. Thomas Le Fan says:

Any believers yet? The Gainey bashers, the Martin haters and the Kovaloafers can officially STFU.

GO HABS!

65. topher5468 says:

I guess well never know ,but Gill said something to Cooke during the handshake, I wonder if it was about that very pathetic move.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

66. jimmyg says:

there is a song by Godsmack, “crying like a b#$ch”, just youtube it, very fitting especially after this series

67. Connecticut Man1 says:

Matt Cooke deserves a little old fashioned hockey justice for his grab on Gill’s injured leg. It is pretty clear on the video that Cooke went for the leg on purpose.

68. topher5468 says:

Yea, good answer. You dont approve of the rioting, do you?

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

69. Thermo says:

Loved the HNIC Montage from last night specially the part where cammy is on the bench.

70. MontrealAtheist says:

People who don’t like the riots might as well move to Toronto where they never have to worry about playoff riots … ever 🙂

71. MontrealAtheist says:

I am so frickin’ proud !!! So much for all those nay-sayers and the “The Pens have so much more depth than the Caps” fraction …

At least the Caps didn’t collapse like that in game 7 and Ovi managed a few goals against us whereas Crosby was nothing more than a spectator on the ice.

And Halak is beginning to sound like a broken record with his constant “we’re not even supposed to be here” and “nobody gave us a chance”. Well, Jaro, you’re wrong: We are very much supposed to be here and a lot of people among us like the guy above me, the one below be and myself gave us a chance.

After all, we are on a mission and neither the Caps nor the Pens were gonna get in the way of our date with destiny !!!

GO HABS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. topher5468 says:

Ahh, the rioting, That really sucked. I dont get it. Is it that people cant handle their drinking or is that they just like to emabarrass their city. Either way, I know they dont represent the real fan but I wish they would learn how to act and leave the spotlight where it belongs, on the Team and the City

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

73. Max_a_million says:

So apparently signing Hal Gill turned the balance of power from the Penguins to the Canadiens.  Whoulda thunk it?!?

74. Mr.Hazard says: