And on the seventh day …

GoalCelebration
Everyone rested and vegged out on football.
Except the Canadiens, who are practicing at the Bell Centre, a promotional deal with the Metro grocery chain.
The joint will be rockin’ – which it hasn’t been often this season.

Photo gallery from win over Leafs

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Michael Farber on the state of hockey

Larry Brooks column

Leafs on the ropes

Crosby tops Sun poll

Those were the days: Canadiens win their fifth straight Cup, in Toronto. Note bilingual coach …

1. jedimyrmidon says:

Here’s something interesting from the Edmonton Journal:
    “The Oilers absolutely need a puck-moving defenceman more than they need a draft pick.”

It just so happens the Habs have an overabundance of these: Campoli, Weber, Kaberle and Diaz (though I think Diaz should stay with the Habs). Wouldn’t it be great if the Habs could trade Campoli to the Oilers for something?

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was born in ’47, and My first memory of watching the Montreal Canadiens was at the time of the very first black & white television transmission of a hockey game in Canada on CBC …I haven’t calculated exactly what age I would have been at the time …but if You can recall the date of that particular event, THAT was the day I fell in love, obsessively, with hockey, and more specifically the Montreal Canadiens
    …a rough guess is I was about 4 or 5 years old (correct Me if I am wrong) …the screen was likely no more than 21 ” and the picture quality was eons from HD quality, in fact the memory of it was quite grainy
    …yet, for a little boy that knew nothing more than a large floor radio He used to hide-in when He had done something naughty. located in the corner of Our Family’s livingroom, the day My Dad came home with this strange box with a glassed face and funny lookin’ rabbit ears that had to sit on the top and be fidgeted with incessantly until you were able to receive a viewable picture, it was pure science fiction amazement that I was able to see things happening in the outside world by looking in this magic box
    …there was not much selection in programing I remember …I don’t think even the 2 basic US channels, NBC & CBS, out of Plattsburgh NY and Burlington Vermont were then available …yet, I was so obsessed with this new amazing ‘thing’ My Dad brought home, that I remember that day watching for hours a droning session of Parliament in Ottawa (the ONLY thing on-air) completely transfixed
    …it was not long before I was able to watch the first hockey game broadcast …it may or may not have been a Saturday; it may or may not have been a Habs’-Weeds’ (I mean Leafs’) game, because I was too young to recall exactly, but I remember mostly the pace of the action seemed so much more ‘fun’ and interesting than Parliamentary debates
    …iconically, visually, I most remember identifying, first, with this passionate elegant man wearing a jaunty fedora behind the Montreal Canadiens bench, even before I finally identified the significance of The Team I would ultimately follow the rest of My life …in time, I identified Him as the greatest Coach in NHL history, let-alone Our Habs’ history
    …even at that age ‘style’, from architecture, industrial design, clothes to savoir-faire on the ice seemed to make things standout from the ordinary in My sense of esthetics …from that enigmatic Coach, and style of My Montreal Canadiens came a lifelong beloved, roller-coaster obsession
    …so seeing Toe, and Jacques Plante (My personal all-time favorite hockey Player), in these 2 videos, post a Habs’ victory yesterday over The Weeds (I mean the Leafs), makes this HIOer very content and reminiscent of better days.

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

3. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

3 games against Washington left.

2 games against New Jersey left.

2 games against Florida left.

and if we move down the line…

3 more games against Toronto.

1 more game against Winnipeg.

I understand the task is daunting, but I think there is more of a chance than you would normally give a team in this situation considering the amount of games left against teams in front of us.

In addition, these are teams that are falling off (Florida, Toronto, New Jersey) and teams that aren’t that good to begin with (Washington) and one team that is both (Winnipeg).

If we gain any significant ground by the deadline, I would like to see moves made that improve the team rather than throw us in the toilet. I really think, even as a 7th or 8th seed, we have a chance against Boston and the Rangers. Maybe not so much against Philadelphia if the jump into the top two.

4. jmsheehy19 says:

Yikes. Ravens choked.

5. boonie says:

Patriots’ going to their fifth superbowl since 2001. We should hire one of their cap specialists/management guys as our next GM. Clearly, their system works in leagues that foster parity.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I think its just a given now that their success is a result of a good to great quarterback who excels in a perfect offensive system.

• boonie says:

Brady is a rare talent and winner,but even he said “I sucked today.” A few years ago they excelled under then no-name Matt cassel when Brady went down in week 1.

The have changed offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators. And, their roster incorporates new WRs, RBs, linemen, defensive components and virtually all other parts without a downturn.

They trade away valued free agents to be for picks and restock.

It’s a management philosophy that they intend to be perpetual contenders rather than one year wonders. I’d love for the Habs to run their organization like theirs.

6. Propwash says:

Brutal! Too bad the Patriots are going to the Superbowl.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…haha, I don’t know if Matt McKenna is ‘one of Us’ or not …but, whoever & wherever You are Matt …THANKS !, I needed that
    …Boone should have added ‘Dedicated to Normand Harvey’ :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

8. HFX-HabFan says:

Does anyone happen to have a link to an online stream of Ravens-Pats? Thanks.

9. SmartDog says:

POST-GAME THOUGHTS….
    Haven’t had time to read today so forgive me if this has all been said… but after last night, a few things come to mind:
    ++++++
    1. ELLER. Great game by him. When he comes to play he plays big. Last week I posted he could be our #1 center if we could find good wingers that match him. I’d like to see him with Cole and Patches… if we miss the playoffs, at least that would be worth trying IMHO.
    ++++++
    2. PRICE. Great game by Price. If only he could play like that most games. There was a time…. ah…let’s not get nostalgic already about the kid. Hopefully there’s much more to come.
    ++++++
    3. PG’s 3 STOOGES. For those who say they think PG has done a good job, consider the Markov signing (too large a contract for a guy who hasn’t played in 2 years coming out of risky surger), then the Plan B replacement, Campoli (not very good), and then the Plan C (new! replacement) Kaberle (soft and over-paid with 3 years left on his contract). This has been a farce from start to finish. If PG doesn’t move AT LEAST ONE of those guys before deadline, he’s an idiot.
    ++++++
    4. GOMEZ & CUNNEYWORTH. Cunneyworth deserves real credit for getting a decent game (on demand) out of Gomez. Even if it’s only one in a row, it ties the record.
    ++++++
    5. WINNING. Good game, and of course I’m glad we won, especially against the Laffs. I hope we win more than we have – I think Cunneyworth deserves it (and so doe the players). But I HOPE we don’t win enough to look like playoff pretenders in late February, and screw up our being able to sell some guys because Molson is willing to take a long shot on the chance that he make some cash off a round of playoffs.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• matt jordan says:

Good call on all fronts

I did enjoy the Bourque, AK and Eller line.

Its so weird for the Canadiens to be able to throw out a line with all three guys over six feet tall.

• Bripro says:

Not that you’ll get a big argument from me, but I would suggest the Gomez has had his second good-effort game since coming back.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Two more years left for Kaberle, not to split hairs.

I honestly think he’s a perfect guy for a second-wave power play at this point in his career. His point production has been decent here considering how low scoring the team is overall.

He is fun to watch stick handling, but yes, frustrating at times because he can’t shoot. In a perfect world, Diaz becomes our second wave power play QB behind a miracle-induced healed Markov with Kabs’ money spent elsewhere, but I am starting to think his shot is good enough to work as a second wave shooter.

• Marc10 says:

Hey… good points! My thoughts…

1. ELLER. He could be our #1 center if he showed up every game. When the kid is ON… he is ON. Problem is, he suffers from acute AKitis and is streaky. His lapses in concentration and poor face-off execution put him as a clear number 2 to DD at the mo. Plus he’s the only center that works with Brother Andrei. That said, we’re out of the race so we might as well experiment…
      ++++++
      2. PRICE. Great game by Price. Agreed.
      ++++++
      3. PG’s 3 STOOGES. If PG doesn’t move AT LEAST ONE of those guys before deadline, he’s an idiot. Damn straight. I don’t see how it can happen unless Markov comes back and re-ignites the PP to make these ‘assets’ look good.
      ++++++
      4. GOMEZ & CUNNEYWORTH. Gomez owed the coach one as he asked to be put on the shootout in Pitts (even though ‘Moneybags’ doesn’t deserve it) and he ultimately blew his chance as per usual. When you don’t score, you don’t deserve a shootout opportunity and Gomer has been living on borrowed time. I resent the preferential treatment he continues to receive from this organization. He should be riding buses in the AHL with his salary off our cap. It’s unacceptable that he’s still there.
      ++++++
      5. WINNING. I’m right there with you. I love it when we win, but seeing as we’re mathematically/realistically eliminated, I’d prefer we tank with a vengeance. I want that first overall selection. The big center from the Q should be our target or at the very least a Top 5 Selection.

Love to read your posts dude. Keep on keeping on.

• SmartDog says:

Thanx. My nightmare scenario is we win most of our next handful of games, and then keep ALL of these D-men hoping we can cobble together a squad from all these mismatched parts, trade a good prospect or pick for a brute up front so we can be ‘competitive’ (now that PG has found Jesus and realizes he’s 6’4″ 230 pounds), and then lose down the stretch, finish in 10th, and go into the off-season a bigger mess than we’ve been all year with fewer assets (i.e. prospects, picks, and good players) and more baggage (guys we can’t trade, overpaid, and marginal). And the way our luck is going I’d say it’s 50-50 that happens. Maybe I’m just pessimistic…. it’s been the kind of season where pessimism and realism are twins – impossible to tell apart.

I’m liking Diaz too. He’s like Campoli but with fewer mistakes. Um, and more goals. Oh, and less salary. And did I say fewer (way fewer) mistakes. Oh yeah, I did.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

10. topher5468 says:

Natural Hatty for Hartnell, Bruins have not lost a game all year in which they led by 2, I guess we are the anti bruins, (Vomit)

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

11. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

How far do the Devil’s have to fall before they start a Parisé auction?

They have fallen to 7th losing two in a row. They play Buffalo on Tuesday then have 7 tough games, with one against the Habs in the middle there.

If they lose gain less than 7 pts of the possible 16 in that stretch, and I think they very well can, they should start taking bids. Buffalo has lost too many in a row. I’m calling them to take down NJ to put them in a spiraling slump.

EDIT: aside from Parisé trade talk fun, I think I have found my selection for a current playoff team that will collapse. There is at least one every year. Cross your fingers.

12. Mavid says:

guess the old my skate got stuck…you know like my glove..did not work should be more but I guess we should be happy he got anything

13. AH says:

HARDHABITS: I read your post futher down about the finishing places of the Habs vs. Champs vs. Challengers. I found it very interesting that the average finish of the challengers (losers) of the cup was 9th! (if i did my math right). That seems pretty low to me, any thoughts on that?

PS: not challenging your post, as a long time Habs fan since the late 60′s I like and agree with a lot of what you say, as it’s disgraceful how far the Habs have fallen.

• HardHabits says:

Thanks for the reply. I would interpret it as parity allowing for upsets. However the higher seeds still benefit from home ice advantage.

I posted that as a food for thought. Make of it what you will and I am eager to hear other’s conclusions.

• Bripro says:

I don’t disagree on your preference for draft picks. The problem is that this would have to occur over a couple of years, unless PG (or whoever the new GM will be) can somehow pry high draft choices away from other teams, as the Bruins have done very successfully.
        I believe the team is in the right direction in terms of team structure. We now have Cole, Max Pac and Bourque as big power forwards.
        Yes, the team needs a big number one centre man, and I doubt that Eller is it. He’s very talented, but not elite.
        You might find one in the draft, but I believe more success will come through shedding some salary dead weight (name your pick) and picking up said elite player.
        That’s what the Rangers did this year.
        I don’t believe PG is the type of shrewd astute negotiator required to draw the prize in.
        Now if Steve Yzerman were here, that would be a different story.
        The days of Habs glory are gone. Team dynasties are pretty much a thing of the past. The Red Wings were the last.
        If the Bs repeat this year, there might be talk of it, but there is so much parity (the old cliche) in the league, that even high draft choices don’t necessarily mean contenders.
        Just look at the Oilers.

• OneTimer says:

HardHabits, love the new avatar. Captures the bipolarity perfectly. I’m probably not the first to comment on it, am I?

• Phil C says:

My two cents: teams that bank a lot of points early in the season, then suffer injuries and fail to improve during the season are often not as strong as their seeding would suggest. Conversely, a team that starts poorly may make some great in-season adjustments then hit the playoffs a much better team than their seeding would suggest. The 2010 Flyers would fit that mold; they were not an 8th seed on paper. The 2010 Habs were also like that; they never had their top six forwards and top four defensemen healthy until just before the playoffs, then went to the conference finals. New Jersey would have done some damage last year if they had made it, given how Lemaire had them playing; they beat everyone in the second half, but couldn’t dig out of the hole. I would also add that the uniformity of modern rinks and facilities negates some of the home ice advantage.