And here we go

HIOplaceholder17

The postseason ride finally begins.

And where it ends …

• Stubbs: Beantown is buzzing

Handicapping the matchup

Hickey on Hart vote

Todd on Gomez

• Arpon Basu on P.K. Subban

• Roy MacGregor on the great rivalry

J.T.’s pep talk

One more pump-up video from bigjamal123:

1. ZepFan2 says:

“Do you have any stories that AREN’T boring”

@figleaf

Sorry, Figgy, that’s YOUR area of expertise!
    ————————————————————————
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

2. Danno says:

I am so pumped for this game. Are you pumped?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. CHsam says:

I wanna see Tomas Jagr tonight

4. 4m3y2j says:

Am in the midst of network crisis.VERSUS is on the fritz since last night.I have been dealing w/ them and cable to fix it asap and getting lip service.The game is blacked out here(NYC)online.Any suggestions where I can p/u a live feed?

5. Jdub1985 says:

Beantown is the armpit of the sports world. The Celtics, Sox, Patriots, Bruins … their classless speech impediment fans, their USA chants – even though they are insulting their own squad more so then ours – Remember, they are looked upon as scum, not just by Montreal, but their own country. ouch.

6. mamacat says:

i’ll take the ugg boot for 50 please. If you have 2 of them, I’d like to have one for each foot. Thanks!

7. Propwash says:

That may all be true, but it’s a known fact that the Bruins suck.

8. ooder says:

holy crap….
    boone andybody… throw this up!

marinaro destroys the losers and morons in boston
    haha they are sooooooo stupid over there

no wonder we get morons like Fig Newton.. not only do they get their medical advice from Dr. Recchi, but they get their hockey info from these guys hahahha

——————
    GWG = game winning gionta!

9. geo_habsgo says:

I feel that with all this talk about Subban being a rookie and the role he needs to play we are forgetting to mention that P.K knows all about playoff pressure in the NHL. He was called up to the team last year after some key injuries on defence and looked completely comfortable after having only 2 regular season games under his belt.

Think of the force that P.K will be after having played through the grind of the season and knowing full well the level of play that is required. He has the leg up on every other rookie in the playoffs this year.

10. Fig Newton says:

I hear that Patchofspaghetti is “sitting out” round 1. Still, I can only marvel at the “miraculous” recovery from a broken neck, to even contemplate playing hockey only 5 weeks later.

Well, sounds like he’ll be back just in time to break out the golf clubs. Personally, I think he might be suffering from a touch of Zdenophobia…

• ZepFan2 says:

I hear your brain has been “sitting out” for quite some time.

Maybe you should seek help from Dr. Recchi.
      ————————————————————————
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• ooder says:

looks like someone has been taking their pills prescribed by Dr. Recchi.

Max-Pac isn’t contemplating returning.. he is nowhere near to being ready according to the team.
      it’s been about a month after the incident which is about how long it takes for a cracked vertberae without displacement to heal up…
      but keep listenitng to your local doctor Recchi.. he knows best.

——————
      GWG = game winning gionta!

• TINMAN17 says:

Soft Cookie, you’re back! I figured you were too busy hanging out with Barney Frank and all the Newtonites and Brookliners wearing women’s dresses and lingerie or whatever you knobs do to get ready for a big day. But, seriously though, best of luck tonight and in the series…because your coach’s job is on the line and Thomas is 37 and at the end of his career.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Fig Newton says:

Hey, Tinhorn, are you the Geico guy? You know, the caveman? Your posts all seem to have the same level of wisdom that he has. All this time I thought he was just an actor, and look, here he is, in the flesh, posting online. Who knew? It figures that he is a Canadiens fan. HAHAHAHA….

No, but seriously, I mean….WOW….are you capable of posting any comments that might actually have ANY shreds of logic or coherent thought at all? Anything other than blah, blah, blah? Seriously. Give me something to work with here. Anything at all….anything.

As far as Braney Frank goes, aren’t you union thugs the ones who keep supporting him for reelection year after year? He supports your lousy union agendas. Plus, I bet you think he’s a special kind of guy on a personal level, don’t you? Comon, Tinhorn, admit it .

• TINMAN17 says:

I see I touched a nerve. Union thugs? That’s original. But another time on that one.
          I find it comical that you relish your trollism.
          I was just on a Bruins site bashing them…nah, I wasn’t I’m not a loser, like you.
          By the way, I played a golf course in Newton last week, it was a great course. The attendant in the pro-shop informed me that many Bruins golf there. I told him to get ready to book all their tee times before May comes around. He told me his book is already full of them. Interesting.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Jordio-oh says:

While i do find you mildly entertaining, i can’t help but almost feel sorry for you because I’m that confident that you’re going to be disappointed at the end of this series. The Bruins won’t win this series. They won’t.

A very nice history of choking you guys have.

Enjoy watching Carey Price go lights out. Its definitely going to happen.

• emann_222 says:

I’ve always been curious about something:

How would I recognize an intelligent individual, (who sits home in his or her parents basement, “entertaining” themselves between segments of on-line Dungeons and Dragons, while trolling hockey pages for the purpose of leaving their insightful comments) when I saw one.

So glad Fig Newton came along. My life is a better place!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

• Propwash says:

Choooooooooooke artists!

• G-Man says:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. LET HE AND HIS EMPTY BRAIN REMAIN EMPTY, AS BEFITS ALL BRUINS FANS.

11. Jimmy9Toes says:

Heres a prediction for you folks. Thomas may start this series, but Rask will play sometime during this series. Meaning Thomas will be pulled.

• Fig Newton says:

You mean like they pulled CAAAAAAAAREEEEE for Auld when we routed you 7-0?

• Propwash says:

Or how bahston are choke artists in playoffs?

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Wow 7-0 that was one game, so was the 8-6 game. Care to comment of the other 4 games we won this season?

• Fig Newton says:

Yeah, one you squeezed out in OT, so that was basically a draw. And OK, you beat us in the other 3, I’ll give you that. Big deal. So, you won 4 (3 basically and tied one) and lost the last two. Trending downward I’d say. But, I guess in your book that means you have the “advantage”.

All your pals here say that the regular season means nothing. I guess that is because we won the division and you didn’t. Let’s see, you won the season series, you lost the division, and we gave you a beating in the last two games. So I guess in Habworld that means you have the advantage. Sure. There’s logic for ya.

So, you keep kidding yourselves with your phony confidence boosters that you match up well. Keep telling one another how great your team is and how there is nothing to worry about. Keep pointing out how fantastic Price is, that Thomas stinks, how fast you are, how great Subban is, how we choked against the Flyers. That’s right, keep whistling past that graveyard. Mmmmm hmmmm.

I guess we’ll see what happens over the course of the next week or so, won’t we?

12. kirkiswork says:

The Habs need to get under the Bruins skin to get them off their game and they are quite good at that. Some people say Chara is not a dirty player but I have seen him take many bad retaliatory penalties and he gets really p o’d really easily. So do a lot of the Bruin players.
    I think the major key for us is self discipline, that will drive them crazy.
    GOHABSGO

13. Shiloh says:

Todd’s article is interesting. Gomez has only once scored 20 goals and only once achieved 70 points. Gainey must have been asleep when he made that deal. But – I think Gomez will be a far more valuable player in the playoffs. If he is motoring, he may draw a bunch of penalties or at least keep them back on their heels.

If we see a boring 0-0 first period it will be good – it will put some doubt in the Bruins and their fans. The pressure to win is on them far more because they think they can go all the way.

• avatar_58 says:

Gomez isn’t the best, but Higgins wasn’t cutting it either. McDonaugh’s team didn’t make the playoffs last year and lost their first game. So……technically Gomez is helping more than those guys. Pyatt too.

If Gomez again helps the team past round 1 then I honestly have to say Gainey won the trade. Sorry. We might expect more from him due to salary, but RESULTS in the post season are what matter most.

14. Habscore says:

Is it me or are some worried about not having Marky and Jorges in the roster?? Not that I don’t believe in our team this year, but it’s kinda making me feel sick for a bit and pissing me off too…
    What makes me feel better tho is that we’re the underdogs this year again, and we all know what happened last year. :)

……………………………………………………………….
    YES HABS CAN!!

15. Good Habits says:

Scoring some early goals and some big saves from Price will quickly help the team solidify.

not about hockey but still ridiculous http://www.mytacotruck.blogspot.com

16. Habitoban says:

We need our bottom 6 to play smart, hard, and fast. We need them to pot a couple, and we need JM to roll 4 lines even if our 3rd and 4th line have a tough shift or two. We need to roll 4 to keep our top 6 fresh, cuz they are going to need all the jump they can muster.

17. Jdub1985 says:

1. Chara
    2. Lucic
    3. Marchand
    4. Campbell
    5. Horton
    6. Recchi
    7. Boychuck
    8. Thomas

I HATE ALL OF THEM WITH A PASSION

18. PrimeTime says:

Some fans forget that tonight is 1 game on the road 4 to wins. The winner tonight wil not be Supreme and the loser will not be so intimidated to feel they can not win the series. Of course many fans will be unnecessarily rejoicing or fretting as if it was game 7. Win or lose tonight the series will continue and anything can happen in any game. Both teams want the first goal, the first game, and the first series…..but that won’t be decided tonight. Habs v Bruins is always entertaining to watch and the drama that their games produce is the best in the NHL. Gonna be fun but the world will not change because of it.

19. JD_ says:

I’ve got a feeling, a feeling deep inside
    Oh yeah, oh yeah, that’s right
    I’ve got a feeling, a feeling I can’t hide
    Oh no, no, oh no, oh no
    Yeah, I’ve got a feeling

BroonzMeltdown™ 2011 is on, baby!

20. Harding27 says:

What line and set of D will JM match up against the bruins big line of Lucic, Krejci, Horton?

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Guys…There’s nothing the Bruins have besides a bit more size and aggressiveness that the Habs don’t have.

They’re personal stats may look a bit prettier but we have just as much scoring punch, if not more than they do.

We had a pile of injures and the lines had to be juggled each and every night. If all of our top six forwards played 75-82 games we’d have a couple more guys at 20 goals and Gionta and Cammalleri would be over the 30-goal-mark.

Price is better than Thomas

Besides Chara, their defense isn’t that great. I think our defense is deeper, even with all the injuries. I’d rather have Wisniewski and Subban on the PP than Chara and Kaberle.

Chara, Horton and Lucic might be a concern but besides that they’re not that scary. Thornton is going to play 8 minutes and that’s it.

We’re going to snipe some goals real quick and that will be that!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

• habs001 says:

i agree the bruins are not a super elite team…i do disagree with you regarding our forwards as everyone of our top forwards played plus 77 games, besides cam who missed 15 but he was not really producing at the level expected prior to his injury..we have been a poor scoring team for 2 years now (23rd last year and 25th this year)

22. emann_222 says:

It was awesome to watch hockey again last night – But it will be EPIC watching the Habs tonight. I’ve been saying since October that we’re a contender – and here we are.
    Habs need to do a FEW things right to get past the B’s but they are more than capable. To read my thoughts on this series – please read this (http://fb.me/LiU5Opo7).
    Looking forward to Carey Price stoning the likes of Lucic and Chara et al. They got away with one in the last game … no more target practice on our net!
    Enjoy the game everyone!

GO HABS GO

23. ShangaDoo says:

I wish every journalist could give the quality of writing Mr. Basu gives. I love how every time he includes something he saw in the dressing room or a little part of a conversation he had with the players that doesn’t seem like a big deal but when he puts in context, you see the importance. Great article
    “They say you can’t buy experience,and it’s really true.” -Carey Price

• Rudy says:

I agree, the Arpon article was great. Stubbs puts snippets of side bar conversation sometimes in his pieces and I really enjoy reading about that stuff.

24. Harding27 says:

Hey Habs Fans,

I just signed up for this site today because there seems like there’s alot of great fans of montreal canadiens here and I have been following this website for a few years now reading the comments before and after all the habs games. So being a big fan myself I decided to join this site with all the other big fans of Canadiens!…I see that there is some Newfoundlanders on this site too!

25. shiram says:

Really really pumped about tonight. Going to see the game with some buds in a sports bar, should have a decent atmosphere.

I really thing our boys can win it too, for all the doomsayers, the team seem mcuh more even than alot would tell you.
    Goaltending, well both teams have great tenders.
    Special teams goes to the Habs, but the Bruins have a more potent offence.
    Bruins might seem to have a better D, but I think our boys can definately step it up, and I expect alot from Gill, Subban, Hamr and The Wiz. Wiz ans Pk have to be very disciplined though.

Arghh… still more than 8 hours away!!!

26. RGM says:

Tonight is the night of all nights! Bring it!

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart
    Support my playoff beard: http://www.beardathon.ca/english/RGM81/profile.aspx

27. samTHEman says:

List the Bruins you despise the most in ascending order. This has to be the hardest task ever…but I’ll give it a shot nonetheless.

1. Chara
    2. Horton
    3. Marchand
    4. Recchi
    5. Lucic
    6. Campbell

I didn’t even bother with Thornton McQuaid and these goons cause they can’t play hockey, not an integral part of the team.

And wow…that was harder than I initially expected

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

• habs001 says:

i would put thornton on the list…he did score 10 goals this year

• jimmy shaker says:

I wish them all hemroids and diarrhea for the whole series. I can’t even rank them, because every time I see them on the telly I hate each one more than the other and so on! SO basically each one of these jabroni’s is number 1! Does that even make sense? I’m grinding my teeth right now thinking of these pukes, I’ve got to step away for a moment!

Shaker

• prt22 says:

I agree with your rankings… Although there is just something about Horton’s face that irks me and almost has him on a par with Chara in my assesment. He has D-Bag face – God I hope one of our boys wipes that stupid look off his face!

• Fig Newton says:

You mean the way Campbell did to Pyatt?

• Willy says:

With an elbow pad like a big puss? Nah the Habs players actually have class. Plus they aren’t hiding behind their daddy to not get suspended for being dirty thugs.

• Fig Newton says:

Class players like Ryan White? What about that class act George Laraque? He was a stellar addition to your team. I guess he couldn’t stand playing for the storied Canadiens for more than one season, huh?
            Campbell pounded the snot out of Pyatt. The elbow pad made it even better. Good to have friends in high places. Worth its weight in gold.

Get your fingers and phones ready to dial 911 tonight.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Horton illustrates an interesting phenomenon. When he was with Florida I didn’t have much of an opinion on him. He seemed to be a pretty bland underachiever – a typical Panther.

But have him wear the famous spoked B jersey and he turns into an almighty pr**k.

• Chris Roy says:

1. Chara (for Patches, and for being generally big and ugly)

2. Marchand (being from Halifax, I wish I *could* like him but the sweater colours and snarky attitude turn me off)

3. Recchi (used to love him but that radio show a couple of weeks back ruined him for me)

While I hate what Lucic does to our guys at times, it’s hard not to wish that he wore our colours, no? The three above I’d pass on quickly, talent or not.

28. habs001 says:

to be honest i have very little hope in pouliot but what a difference he would make if he became a scoring threat…ak46 also has to produce in the playoffs….we really need some of our forwards to step up because the bruins saw that all the flyers had to do last year is shut down camm and gion and we had no scoring at all.

29. ths says:

Drop the %$%%%#ing Puck !
    Off to sleep down here boys then a breakfast of Champions from Beantown.
    Habs need to sneak a cutesy win out tonight.
    I predict DD will take out Chara’s ankle :)

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

30. habs001 says:

a win today would be way bigger for the habs than the bruins…we will probably be out played but if we could sneak a win out it would be great

31. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

99 problems but the bruins ain’t one

32. DearyLeary says:

We’re going to war. Don’t quit now, folks.

33. TheDagger says:

A good clip of a Bruin and some unidentified Hab in a scrap…
    GO HABS GO!

34. habs001 says:

in this series we cannot give up too many bad goals and we cannot let the boston pp to start producing…we need our secondary forwards to produce some goals….for two seasons now we have been a poor goal scoring team…we get chances but many of our forwards have issues with finishing…this series is very hard to predict…if we won 4 in a row 2-1 it would not suprise me but if we get shut out 2-3 times would not be a shock…

35. LL says:

Hahaha, ad deleted.

36. habs001 says:

the key to the game is to get the first 5 goals lol…losing this game would not be the end of the world but would take a great deal of pressure of the bruins for the next game…it would have been nice if we would have been able to pick up another forward before the trade deadline like a peverley just to get a little more scoring threat…..

• TommyB says:

I think the Habs would have loved to pick up some goal scoring insurance at the deadline. Unfortunately, the way our D was dropping like flies, Gauthier had to reinforce the back end. To obtain an effective forward, I suspect, would have cost us too much as far as who goes the other way in the trade. There just isn’t much wiggle room anymore in this cap world. I do agree with you, though. Would have been nice.

37. zig616 says:

Lets go boys!!!!!! Play like a champion

38. BeachHabFan says:

Another good article from a guy you should follow on twitter:

(BTW – Full marhand quote included. Just when I forgot how big a f–kwad Marchand is, the quote brings it all back)

Habs in a surprise sweep. There, I said it. Go Habs Go.

39. agencare10 says:

who here still write habsinsideout.com when coming to the website!? haha, i’m so used to it..anyway, BIG GAME DAY TODAY! Like I said before I know our habs can do it tonight, cammi and pk with big goals and if there is an open netter it will be giontas! CP with a huge game allowing 1 goal in 30+ shots!

40. Willy says:

Is it time for puck drop yet?!?

On a shitty note, i have tix for game 4 but can’t make it. Time to sell em i suppose, i waited to the last minute to see if i could make it work but it’s a no go.

41. Propwash says:

J.T’s article = gold!

42. HabsPEI31 says:

Our father, who art in Centre Bell,
    Hockey be thy name.
    Thy will be done, the cup be won on ice, as well as in the stands.
    Give us this day our hockey sticks and forgive us for our penalties
    As we forgive those who crosscheck against us.
    Lead us not into elimination but deliver us to victory.
    In the name of the fans, Lord Stanley and the Holy Price.
    Amen.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

43. HabsPEI31 says:

Icitte au Québec y fait pas froid, y fait frette
    C’est de même parce que c’est de même pis c’est ben correct
    On a de la place en masse
    Pis nos face-à-face on les fait sur la glace
    Alors, on lace nos patins pis nos casques
    Et comme Maurice, on glisse dans l’arène avec la haine de la défaite
    Et le feu dans les yeux, en fait
    Quand on veut, on peut…Gagner !
    En des temps si lointains qu’les franco s’appellaient Canadiens
    À une époque où les pucks étaient faites de crottin
    On a réuni des hommes dont le destin commun est comme un film sans fin
    En Technicolor, et tricolore :
    Bleu comme le St-Laurent
    Blanc comme l’hiver
    Rouge comme le sang qui nous coule à travers
    Le corps de l’équipe c’est le coeur de la nation
    Et chaque année, faut clore avec une célébration

Ils diront jamais tel quel aux nouvelles
    Mais le tissu social de Montréal
    C’est de la Sainte-Flanelle
    Quand y est question de hockey
    Nous on fait pas dans la dentelle, OK?
    C’est plus qu’un sport :
    c’t’ une métaphore de notre sort
    C’est ça qui nous ressemble
    C’est ça qui nous rassemble
    Anglo, franco peu importe la couleur de peau
    Si tu détestes Toronto le sang qui bouge dans tes artères
    Est aussi rouge, mon frère, que le chandail de nos

Vingt cœurs de vainqueurs qui luttent avec honneur
    Les Canadiens pour une fois rallient tous les Québécois
    Vingt cœurs de vainqueurs pour le pire et le meilleur
    Les Canadiens de Montréal : notre équipe nationale

Un plan de match qu’on respecte à la lettre
    Un gardien alerte
    Des bonnes mises en échec
    Des passes drettes sur la palette
    Pis des lancers précis et secs
    C’est comme ça qu’on va gagner nos épaulettes !

Mais quand ça va mal, quand on cale ou on dévire
    Que j’voie pas un sale quitter le pont du navire
    C’pas à matin -non!- qu’on accroche nos patins
    Un Flying Frenchman, franchement!, ça franchit sans flancher

Allez–y les Habitants, quand vous la mettez dedans
    Y a un petit peu de nous autres là d’dans
    On est debout avec vous on ira jusqu’au bout
    Durant la saison c’est toute la nation qui vibre au même diapason

Comme quand le gens criaient “Guy Guy Guy”
    C’tait en dépit du combat constant de la vie
    Ça leur donnait des forces
    Ils pouvaient bomber le torse
    Voilà l’amorce d’un ralliement réussi

On peut Gagner ! On veut plus que participer nous on veut
    Gagner ! À soir on fonce sur la patinoire pour
    Gagner ! Si on se défonce pour la victoire, on va
    Gagner ! On va gagner !

Enfin on fait les séries, fini les folies
    Là c’est baston et rififi
    Boston, Philadelphie
    Avec les fantômes du Forum
    On n’a pas peur de personne
    Chaque homme donne le maximum
    Pour que cette année soit la bonne.

Au printemps la fìèvre est universelle
    Pis y’a juste une place où la glace il faut pas qu’elle dégèle
    Ici le sang c’est de la sève qui monte jusqu’à nos lèvres
    Le cri se change en un chant de ralliement qui s’élève
    ( … Allez Montréal … )

Nos chevaliers sont en cavale pour ramener le graal à Montréal
    Le tournoi est un chemin de croix parsemé d’émoi
    Mais la coupe on y croit,
    Comme autrefois, on a la foi
    Pis si c’est pas c’t'année,
    ben comme dirait René « À la prochaine fois »
    Québécois ! On va

Gagner ! On veut plus que participer nous on veut
    Gagner ! À soir on fonce sur la patinoire pour
    Gagner ! Si on se défonce pour la victoire, on va
    Gagner ! On va gagner !

Allez Montréal!

Du sang neuf depuis 1909 avec
    Jack Laviolette, Lach
    Pitre et Pit Lépine en passant par
    Newsy Lalonde et Joe Malone
    Aurèle et Morenz
    Hains’, Plante, Gump et le Concombre,
    Pocket Rocket, Boum Boum, Cournoyer, Coco, Carbo, Casseau, Naslund
    (Oublie pas les anglos, yo )
    Toe, Dickie, Doug et Scotty
    Shutt, Larry, Ken et Bobby
    L’arrêt de Roy , rebond, Butch Bouchard à Savard,
    vers Béliveau qui esquive un joueur
    Passe à Lafleur, Lafleur accélère remet au Rocket Richard,
    deux hommes sur le dos, rien de trop gros
    ET LE BUUUUUT!

On a GAGNÉ, on a gagné!
    Allez Montréal!
    On veut gagner!
    On peut gagner!
    On va gagner!

Allez Montréal!
    On veut gagner!
    On peut gagner!
    On va gagner!

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

44. punkster says:

Man, this site is awesome during the playoffs. Not only excellent hockey articles and passionate fan comments but great deals on shoes, handbags, team jerseys and now…limos!

Technology…making my life better.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

45. joshua94k says:

There will always be underdogs and favourites in every matchup. History has shown that you can never under estimate the Montreal Canadiens…

Mike Wise in The Washington Post writes Tuesday (April 27, 2010): “The Capitals have lost something that was theirs since last fall. The power. Knowing confidence of a team apparently ready to make the transition from very good to great. It’s gone.”

“We’re a far better team. We’ve got much more talent. But the Canadiens weren’t afraid of that talent.” – Derek Sanderson Post Game 7 1971.

Years from now, bleary-eyed coaches in video rooms will still be deconstructing the tactics Jacques Martin and his grew have used against Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. – Mike Boone Montreal Gazette May 2010

“You gotta take any break you get, look around here, you don’t win so many Stanley Cups for nothing… – Wayne Gretzky 1993 Stanley Cup Finals.

Yet, even as the Canadiens lose key personnel, as they get pushed closer to the brink, they seem to somehow grow stronger. Calling the Habs’ playoff demise is a little like calling an election too early; it’s easy to do, but there’s every chance you’ll end up with poutine on your face. – Scott Burnside – ESPN May 2010

“When you play the Montreal Canadiens in the finals, forget it, you do not even want to be the stick boy facing them.” – Phil Esposito Stanley Cup Finals 1979.

I could never believe this team (Flyers) could be beaten four straight. – Bobby Clarke Stanley Cup Finals 1976

• Clay says:

A most excellent set of quotes, good sir! Sets the tone for this series nicely,

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• LL says:

Clay, my $9.99 readers are in the car. What is that awesomely wonky avatar?

• Clay says:

A long path leading out to a gazebo in the ocean with a woman sitting and looking out to sea and the other planet hanging in the sky… I got this from a site called digitalblasphemy.com…they have amazing artwork. Some is free. I just love this pic. It was my desktop background for years, but now I put my daughter’s pics there, so wanted to use this somewhere.
          __________________________

46. Bash says:

Stuff to do before game time:

Decorate rec room to the extreme with multiple Canadiens artifacts of all description: flags, sweaters. photos, hats, replica cups, signed stuff, score sheets from Forum, forum ghosts etc etc etc Check

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

47. ed lopaz says:

re: Don Cherry

I grew up watching the CBC – had 1 game on Wednesday nights and then the Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights.

That was it.

2 telecasts a week.

And the CBC was the only game in town ( English on channel 6, French on channel 2) – no cable whatsoever.

Today, the CBC is at “WAR” with Cable.

When you go to “war”, you use the weapons at your disposal.

Don Cherry is the CBC’s most potent “weapon”.

Its pure BUSINESS.

Without Cherry
    (and PJ STock and Milbury and the others, who agree with Cherry on every major issue – no coincidence)

the CBC would not keep their sponsors.

Period.

End of story.

The ads would dry up, because virtually everyone has access to cable these days.

I watch RDS – I enjoy the coverage, the play by play, and the analysis of the games.

Any Habs fan who watches the CBC and Don Cherry is simply playing
    right into the CBC business model.

Most CBC viewers are NOT Habs fans – they are Leaf fans.

Therefore, the CBC is NOT a national telecast – because the advertisers
    are targeting Leaf fans.

Anglos living in the ROC.

The advertisers call the shots – because minus the ads, the English telecast on the CBC would end up “resting” next to the French CBC
    broadcast.

The French CBC was an awesome broadcast of Habs games, by the way.

My father always made us watch the French broadcast.

Why does Don Cherry root for the Leafs??

Because the advertisers who pay the bills to air the hockey broadcast are targeting Leaf fans.

The CBC might be a public station, but the shows that stay on the air are privately sponsored.

When Cherry leaves, PJ STock or Mike Milbury will continue the
    EXACT SAME Leaf bias (and anti- Habs rants)

for another 30 years!!!

• TommyB says:

You started out great but then you seemed to turn your comments into a french vs. english thing. Too bad. This puts you in the same category as Cherry, and you don’t see it. By ROC, I’m assuming you mean “rest of country”? Many of us Anglos in the ROC do not have a problem whatsoever with Quebec and the french language thing. We have total respect for the french language. But outside of Quebec, there really is not much need to understand or speak french. So, if I choose to watch hockey on CBC, it’s not because I agree with Cherry or any of the other a**holes on the telecast. It’s because I speak and understand english. I don’t speak french, and understand very little of it. Yet I subscribe to RDS at a rate of $8/month solely for the purpose of watching the Habs when I cannot watch in english, either on TSN or CBC. I can subscribe to any other channel through my Bell satellite package for a mere $2/month. But when I asked to add RDS, I was informed that I would have to take the entire french language package for $8/month. I could not add RDS for $2 like any other channel. Bottom line for me was, despite this absurd package thing, I could watch every Habs game for a mere $8/month. Well worth it! So please, whether it was intended or not, don’t turn things into french vs. english. It’s not about that. It’s about hockey, and the Montreal Canadiens. And I too remember the days when it was Wednesday and Saturday only, and I had to watch the Leafs most of the time because there was no choice offered to me.

• ed lopaz says:

Tommy, ROC is “rest of Canada”. I do not mean it in a negative way at all.

I do not intend to make this an English vs French thing.

I was trying to show why it is a “business” thing.

For those who only get the CBC coverage of the Habs,

maybe they can watch the video and listen to the English CJAD radio

radio coverage on their computers?

• TommyB says:

Ed, thanks for that reply. I wasn’t sure where you were going with that. That’s why I left that open to you, so you could clarify that. Sometimes I get my back up easily with that topic. I’m a proud Canadian citizen. The fact that we have two official languages, and cultures, makes us rather unique in this world. That’s something to be proud of, in a world full of hate and intolerance. I can’t stand the Don Cherrys of this world, whether they be english, french, or from some other planet.

Back to hockey…..and the dark days of very little TV coverage of the Habs here in Ontario. Remember the UHF antenna? No matter how hard I tried to twist that stupid ring around, I could not get decent reception of the Peterborough channel that did broadcast the Habs. Same thing with the old rotor antenna. Useless. Cable TV, was a good start, but in it’s early days it was still mostly Leafs around here. Satellite TV is what finally changed it all for me. 82 Habs games/year, plus playoffs. Can’t ask for any more than that.

• ed lopaz says:

ya – we had the UHF antenna – it was terrible when the weather got bad – which is about every other night here in Montreal.

wind, ice, heavy snow, you name it. there was always a reason why the reception was bad.

no remote control either, by the way. :)

I was the youngest in my family.

it was my job to sit about 4 feet from the screen and change the channels.

we watched a lot of commercials back then!! ha!

I knew every “jingle”, and still sing them to my kids – who think
            I’m more than a little crazy.

“two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun”, for example.

48. twocents says:

There will be no “loosey goosey” hockey from the bruins tonight.
    All the pressure is on them. And when I say all, I mean all.
    Standings, regular season results, recent events, history, coach’s job, the pride and dignity(read lack thereof) of the Cherry/Burke/Sinden anti-Hab cabal… the whole friggin’ kit and caboodle draped over them like a soaking wet carcass.

49. HabsoluteFan says:

For those who can understand french :http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/une-compagnie-change-de-nom-pour-appuyer-le-canadi-70516.html

Those who don’t, Boston Pizza in Québec will be called Montreal Pizza for the duration of the playoffs !
    Go Habs Go

50. Elephant Man says:

Got 14 minutes to spare? Enjoy the “Too many men” fiasco… and suck it hard broon trolls!

I am not an animal, I just reproduce that way.

In case you missed it yesterday, here is Mike Boone at his absolute best.

24.2 Cups

• Shiloh says:

Saw the article and I agree completely, and not just because I concur with his take on Cherry. This column really captures Boone’s voice – the writing is great. As much as we love having him here basically 24/7, the blog has to cut into the time he can put into developing a full columns. It’s a treat when he comes through with a gem like that.

52. G-Man says:

10 more looooooonnnnnnngggg hours to wait. Tick, tick, tick…

Andrew Cohen’s article kind of got lost yesterday during the late day posting of other threads. Here’s his intro. The entire post is well worth reading.

“Everyone should have their own Rosebud, that one revered item from the adult world that brings its owner back instantly to a simpler, kinder time. Mine is actually a quartet of yellow, fading scrapbooks, compiled during the first 20 years of my life and dedicated entirely to news clippings about the Montreal Canadiens”.

Bob Dylan said don’t look back, but sometimes it’s hard not to when it comes to the Habs and my youth.

24.2 Cups

54. TommyB says:

Flag Day! Each spring, at the start of the playoffs, for the last few years, I raise the Habs flag on the flag pole at the back of my house. The flag can be seen from the entire neighborhood. The neighborhood knows who the Habs fan is in these parts. The reactions from the neighbors are predictable in most cases. It starts out with saracstic remarks from the Leaf fans, but one imitated swing of a golf club shuts them up rather quickly. Then the Bruin fan a few doors down will have a few smart-ass comments to make. Last year, the Flyers took care of his yap in striking fashion. Hopefully this year the Habs are the ones to shut him up, yet again. The Flyer fan mailman is always fun to talk to. He knows his hockey, and even with the Flyers stranglehold on the Habs in their series last year, he remained cautious and wary of the Montreal Canadiens. And there’s the new neighbor next door. Don’t see him much, but then again, he’s newly married so I suspect he is pre-disposed much of the time. That will wear off kid, trust me. But he saw the flag last year and asked me “How long does that stay up there?” I don’t know his team affiliation yet, but suspect he is a wearing blue and white pajamas at night. My answer was, “until the Habs either win the cup, or until whichever team knocks them off is eliminated”. If that team goes on to win the Cup, they would have had to go through the Habs to get there, so the flag is there as a reminder.

Last year started out in the usual fashion, as described above, but quickly turned into horn honking and shouts of “Go Habs Go” from total strangers driving by in their cars. Can’t tell you how much fun that was, and how much I hope to hear those horns again this spring. So, today is Flag Day. The Habs flag goes up this afternoon…and, the sun is actually shining today! Omen?

55. Ton says:

Read this scouting report from a boston reporter covering the series. Very well written. Note: no prediction. Why predict, so many things that can change. We have see stupid things written on their side however we have seen some good things written also. ie. some said the Chara hit was not legal. Cudo’s to them. Tony from 990 will be on boston radio today at 11.00 should be interesting.

56. avatar_58 says:

Take the first game and put ALL the pressure on them to come back.

57. 21BIGGionta says:

ive been waiting for this day all week…..and i was just scheduled to work tonight….

58. HalifaxHabs says:

I’m looking forward to seeing who will be in the line up, there are a few depth question marks… here’s what I’m thinking we’ll see.

Cammy-Pleks-AK
    Gio-Gomez-Darche
    Moen-Eller-Pyatt
    Benny-DD-White

PK-Gill
    Wiz-Hammer
    Sopel-Spacek

Moen is back, Halpern’s not ready yet, JM goes with recent playoff experience/success, over grit, with Sopel over Mara(which will tick off some people on here today)

59. prt22 says:

Given that they moved the French debate to accomodate the viewing public for the Habs game – did anyone else watch it? Was it just me or in his closing statement did Harper say he was fed up with erections??? Too Funny!

GO HABS!

60. joeybarrie says:

I am not actually nervous, this may change at puck drop, but… This series depends on the Habs. The Bruins are a constant. They eventually choke and always go back to the drawing board. It just depends on when.
    The Habs have alot to play for.
    -MaxPac.
    -Gomez, Cammi, AK, Pleks are having a poor season production wise.
    -Everyone, including me, saying they can’t do it without Gorges and Markov.
    -Alot of these guys playing for their next contract.
    -Key players finishing up great seasons and can add more.
    -Some of these guys may never reach the playoffs again before they retire.
    -To do BETTER than last seasons playoffs where everyone said it was a FLUKE. AND it was all Halak (and not Price).
    -Last game they lost 7-0 and that should have been redemption/revenge night.
    The answer is another question. Will these guys play like that?
    If they do, Habs in 6.
    If they do not Bruins in 5.

But make no mistake about it. ALL THE PRESSURE IS ON THE BRUINS. And I know one thing. If we win, it will be one of the sweetest wins I will ever remember and if we lose it will be one of the most bitter and painful ones ever.

61. JohnBellyful says:

You just know the HIO server is going to bog down after tonight’s win, especially if we get WOOOOHOOOOO!s with essays, so why don’t we all meet at the NESN website instead. Will probably be dead as a doornail over there. We can take along a hamr and start sealing in the Bruins’ coffin.
    Special note to CHannellers’ Elite Mental Assault Squad: Tonight’s mission is to get inside Chara’s head (wear rubber boots). Mess with his mind. (First one who finds it gets an HIO mug.) Project images of pitbulls attacking his ankles. Induce incontinence. Remind him he was once a Senator and all the post-season success that team enjoyed.

• Former Jets Fan says:

My CHannelling will focus on a reverse hex on the effects of what is clearly the world’s most powerful depilatory. Our subject never seems to grow the playoff beard, leading me to believe that the shaved gorilla rumours are in fact true. I’m going to expose his ruse.

62. Kimberly2u says:

Pat Hickey is an idiot…saying the Bruins in 6….we have to be in their head all night and stay out of the penalty box….I hope nothing happens to Subban …don’t trust Horton or Lucic

63. Hobie Hansen says:

Classic Habs Song created for their series agaisnt the Bruins from 20 years ago when I was 15-years-old:

64. RetroMikey says:

Check out NHL.com’s website
    Great facts and free playoff media PDF downloads of the playoff teams….except our Habs who don;t want to share with the fans their guide and game media notes. but other teams share and cater to their fans even if not in the media. Sad, sad, sad. What goes around comes around I say. Look of my dog’s expression says it all.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

65. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Mr Hickey’s vote for Chara for the Norris.

I think if hockey is ever to regain a semblance of sporting ethics then people will have to look at more than +/- or time on ice or how hard a shot someone has.

Journalists are also responsible for the sorry state of the game, hyping the violence, promising there will be blood on the ice, etc … (not that Mr Hickey has done any of this, quite the opposite.)

Chara as a hockey player may be good, but his rage attacks aren’t a separate thing. They are a part of what he is as an athlete. In my opinion his consistently shabby on-ice behaviour should count heavily against him in these awards.

Three things we must do to take this matchup.

Skate like we can for 60 min.
    Do not retaliate as they try to put us through the boards, other than putting the puck into their net.

And maintain puck control by first winning a faceoff, at least 50%. Where is Doug Jarvis when we need him.?

We will take these guys, if we stay out of the box and skate

67. gp52 says:

habs in four 6-0, 4-1,5-2, 3-0

68. patience is a virtue says:

Jack Todd is bang on with his focus on Gomez as a key to the series, despite what many here believe and say. But he is dead wrong about goal scoring. We don’t need Gomez to score, we need him to set up Gio, Darche and others. We need him to play the gritty, end to end, full throttle hockey he is capable of.

Most of the Habs will have to play up to our high expectations to win Round 1, but Gomez must exceed them. If he notches .75+ ppg, mostly assists, that will be a key factor and indicator of success for Mtl.

I’m not sure if many of you believe in omens, but something happened yesterday afternoon that caught my eye.

I was checking out of my Slowville LCBO liquor store when I turned around to look at the person behind me. I couldn’t help but notice that he only had two items on the counter – a bottle of Scotch and a bottle of Drambuie. I smiled at him and said just two words – Rusty Nail. He knowingly smiled back and so did the cashier. It was at that precise moment in time that I knew what I had to do tonight in order to make sure my beloved Habs had Lady Luck on their side.

I haven’t had a drink since the end of the Masters (trying to cut back in order to steady my hands for the upcoming golf season), but tonight I will sit down to pour myself some of the necktar. 24.2 Cups is a team player and is always willing to do what needs to be done in order to ensure victory.

Scotch in first, Drambuie in second, stirred counter-clockwise. But you already knew that.

A toast to our boys as they prepare for another post season of glory. For those about to rock, we salute you!

24.2 Cups

70. HalifaxHabs says:

wooooooooooooooo, welcome to game day.

71. scoulton62 says:

Heres my Habs pump up video with speech:)

72. habs913 says:

agreed! I find the refs were pretty lenient last night with goaltender interference. Especially the CHI – VAN game.

Hope it’s not the same for MTL – BOS.
    GO HABS GO

73. badbalance says:

I’m nervous too man, pretty damn nervous..

╥————————-╥
    |Long live the system |
    ╨————————-╨

74. Chris Roy says:

Unfortunately the Bruins game plan will be:

1. Keep “King” Timmy’s crease clear
    2. Crash the Scabs net constantly

I think the real key is that either our guys get going or they don’t. Our problem most of the season has been consistency and the team proved in last year’s playoffs where consistent play can get you. Either Cammy, Gionta and Gomez step it up and our lower lines offer good support or we’re toast.

I’m personally of the opinion that everyone mentioned above will be more than up for it – like most other years, I think the boys have the Bruins number in 2011.

Disclaimer: “Scabs” reference only for dramatic effect given its response to “Broons” :)

75. Fig Newton says:

Wow, you’re nearly as clever as Tinhorn