An idea whose time has come?

No, not bringing back MAB to spark the PP.

Let us celebrate a nice win by respectfully suggesting Canadiens vice-president of marketing consider the innovation that set the Chicago Blackhawks on their road to the Stanley Cup:

Ice Girls.

OK, maybe Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith had something to do with the Hawks’ success. But comely maidens wielding shovels had to help, no?

Just a thought.

And before the sexism rants begin, how about a split squad: Ice Girls and Ice Boys?

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Arpon Basu on Carey Price

Mark Everson in the NY Post on the sitting of Kovy II:

The
rookie coach’s bold moves have become bizarre, and just plain bad. Now
the Devils have a coach-star controversy that could haunt them the
entire season.

Dang! Why couldn’t that mess have erupted BEFORE they came to the Bell Centre.
So, what’s the over/under on days till Jacques Lemaire returns?

And draft choice Brendan Gallagher throws a few in the W

s2yda4qo4p4

1. noelsroyce says:

*I* wasn’t the one stating in my HIO post that I was trying to avoid sexism. I was the one reading that column, posted by Boone, that stated HE was trying to be fair to both sexes. However, the picture did not include both Ice Girls and Ice Guys. So he did not follow through. Therefore, the sentence about wishing to please both sexes was just meaningless.

~Erin

2. madcap_habsfan says:

there is not a thing wrong with appreciating a hot girl at all, oggling her while she’s in a skimpy outfit solely to pump up the crowd, because you know hockey fans in this city need help with that, that is disgusting..you want to oggle hot girls we have tons of places in this city were that can be done, a hockey game should not be one of them

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

3. madcap_habsfan says:

ice girls are essentially cheerleaders and the sport of hockey really doesn’t need them,regardless of what some teams  do

4. ZepFan2 says:

Why are you so bias towards balding men?

————————————————————————

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

5. habsguy says:

Ummm,  maybe for you..not me though!!!!

6. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

I was thinking more like Devo or the Residents.

7. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

Sure. Create another martyr why don’t you. Radio Free Bugs is waiting in the wings.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

If there was a price of admission to visit Habs I/O, Bugs would make it worthwhile by himself 🙂

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. Mike Boone says:

Wrestling? You’re skating on Timo’s thin ice, Bugs

10. WestHab says:

I get to at least one game in Montreal a season. In fact I like to brag that I was at the famous Feb 18 2008 game vs the rangers. I also see the Habs when they come here. They have ice girls in Calgary and I keep saying yeah they don’t need those in Montreal cause there are babes all over the place anyways:)

11. fbkj says:

were not talking about cheerleaders, were talking about instead of seeing potbellied balding men shovel the snow, replace them with some skanks

win win

12. fbkj says:

well if your living in calgary and not going to games, why the need to cockblock those of us that actually do lol

13. Number31 says:

Phoenix’s plays has been inconsistent as of late. They do play a good road game but it depends on which team shows up… They can also burn you with speed so hopefully Spacek, Hamr, and Gill look behind them when they miss a puck along the board at the blueline because someone (usually Upshall) will most likely pick it up and go on a breakaway.

Is Doan still suspended?

14. 123456 says:

yup they do. what happens in the family zone, stays in the family zone

15. joeybarrie says:

Even though I appear to support ICE GIRLS in my post below. In truth I agree with you. We have no need for ice girls, cheerleaders and any of the other attempts to entertain people with gimmicks that have nothing to do with Hockey.

We will never have ice girls, our organization would probably never even consider it.

If we did introduce ice girls it would be at a loss to our dignity and class. Not because it’s classless to have ice girls, but because people come to see Hockey. We all know that you go to Chez Pare AFTER the game… THATS CLASS…

Should I be wrong and we decide to do it, then I will console my small loss by watching ice girls…….So in the end to me, doesn’t really matter.

Something that sticks out in my mind. In Nashville, Carolina, Chicago you see ice girls and look forward to the camera focusing on them. I LIKE IT….  What I like better is in Montreal you see the camera focus on Jean Beliveau in his seat. I look forward to that.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. adam76 says:

http://www.wwe.com – next month, Hogan will give Lesnar the eye poke of death!

17. Number31 says:

What. You don’t like the Clorox Ice Dudes coming out of the zamboni door in their uniforms? They’re all business. Like a dance troupe for a Beastie Boys video or something. I love those guys.

18. Say Ash says:

I’m pretty sure brian boitano would be for the men, too.

19. N.B.habs fan says:

Glad see Lesnar get beat.Where can we see the highlights?

20. Matt_in_TO says:

As we all know, Montreal would end up with the hottest ice girls in the league but I think it would be a bad idea.  Why lower our standards to that of Carolina and Atlanta?  Having ice girls to me would just cheapen the class and dignity that surrounds the franchise.

– In Price We Trust

21. derfab says:

You got ’em bugs. Did you mean to say trans-vesti? I wouldn’t mind being the shovel but I’m afraid carey would get into trouble with his glove hand again, so it’s a no for me.

22. Bugs says:

Two things I forgot to mention:

1) That Pleky pass to K Senior for first goal of the game was Glory incarnate.

2) Y’all see Brock Lesnar get the sh*te knocked outta’m last night? The bigger they are, the more blood they spill when they run outta juice after a minute’n’half.

Decadently yours, I recline as

23. WestHab says:

As much as I like to fill my eys with candy I think the Montreal Canadians are beyond that. With so many beautiful women in the stands Montreal does not need ice girls.

24. habsguy says:

Hummmmm,  you’re probably right about that Ian,  there would be alot of protesters !!!……….LOL

25. Danno says:

My friends once told me I missed the bus to Brockville, but that’s another story Ian :0)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

26. fbkj says:

lol who is talking about ice sweepers being sexist?

27. Exit716 says:

I guess there is a good reason Lou never promoted MacLean in previous years.

28. Mattyleg says:

I like only that section.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. observer says:

Price finally gets himself a shutout – a well deserved one – and all discussion here is about sexist ice sweepers.

30. lefreak says:

Jim Peplinski…think about it.

31. Mattyleg says:

Uhh… the question is about whether to put girls that look like her on the ice or not.

And that was a terribly nice comment about MB. Not petty and small-minded at all.

But it’s nice to know that people are always on the lookout to be personally offended. Well done.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Chuck, you would need to hire someone for crowd control if you hired me at your restaurant!…..» Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

33. fbkj says:

i havent been in the molson zone in years but last time i was there they had girls whose jobs were essentially cheerleaders, without the pom pom’s… does that still go on… i cant see the section from my seats…

I’m wearing my speedo to the SUMMIT for the table dance that Boone won last year.!

35. Bugs says:

Ice boys???

Ice BOYS, Boonie?

To avoid sexism, we need ice boys??? You mean, for the ladies in the stands who don’t dig on the chiseled 6’ft-2, 200lb, super-athletes makin millions playing the game, they wanna see ice BOYS scoopin up snow-grit?

I dunno about that.

When I heard about this “cheerleaders” business, I thought we were talkin about girls in the STANDS, goin around with pom-poms yelling “rah-rah, siskum-ba, y’all!”. And we’re supposed to be goin “Oooohh, CHEER for the Habs, I see. I didn’t know how to cheer properly in Montreal, thank you. Yes, properly-paid missy who couldn’t name half the guys on this roster, let alone the other team, please instruct me on how and when to cheer correctly, while I sit here with my face smeared in bleu-blanc-rouge. Thank you very, very much.”

Uh, yeah, that woulda been a big “no” for me.

Now, anonymous human beings scooping up snow-grit? Standing scantiliy-clad young ladies in their place?

I suppose I could live with that.

But ice BOYS? Basically the guys doin the job before but with no clothes on? While the millionaire uber-mensch are chillin in the dressing-room?

Who needs to see that?

Honestly, Boonie, why you gotta make a travesty outta everything?

Decadently yours, I recline as

I’ll give you that one my friend. They just have not translated the news into French yet, That Smoking Kills and it is anti social. It is only for dirty smelly people, they just don’t know it.

37. fbkj says:

most girls i know prefer going to wanda’s over 281 so i doubt that

Good Line Brad!…My blog or Summit page

39. habsguy says:

we don’t need ice girls (although it would be awesome),  if we do, then women would want equal time and have ice boys,  do we really want to see a bunch of brian boitano’s skating around in speedo’s !!!!!!!!

Phoenix is next boys and girls, and I don’t know if they are as good as last year or not.

But if they are, we are going to have a nice test after the practice against Ottawa last night. So who has seen Phoenix play this year?? Will Carey get a good test?

41. LA Loyalist says:

we’ve got enough ice boys on the ice.

42. stephen says:

Well said, Mr. Ian!

It isn’t enough that every between-whistle second is filled with skull-crushing music? It’s as though they do everything they can to make us forget we’re at a hockey game. Here’s an idea for the next time you’re at a game and you find yourself having to think for yourself during a commercial break: talk to the person next to you.

Just sayin’…

43. Keith says:

I know Ian, so true. When I was there for the 2008 Summit I saw alot of very beautiful women in Montreal, but the thing that dismayed me the most was that most of them were smoking cigarettes. It seems like the women in Montreal start smoking as soon as they leave the womb lol!

44. saskhabfan says:

Gotta give credit where its due,or so they say. The math is pretty easy. Goals + defensive support = win. Another great morning on HIO celebrating a great team victory and not have the listen to the whiners who only show up after a loss.

45. rocketsglare says:

Ice Girls, hell yes!

I live with the hottest chick anyway, so all the rest are just nice hens my friend.!

You don’t have to look very far when in Mtl. my friend. Nicest looking dressed ladies in N.A., unless they are Hab fans from elsewhere.

48. fbkj says:

ian im sorry but id rather see hot chicks then the current crop of middle aged men in clorox jumpsuits lol

49. Keith says:

I don’t know Ian,

If they could find girls like her to put on the Bell Centre ice, then I would be all for it. I mean, look at her. She is pretty HOT don’t you think?

Brockville, Right??

Ottawa, got it, thanks Dan!

51. notbigbird says:

Lots of commenters with their buns tied in knots over ice boys and girls. Some people must be a barrel of laughs to live with.

52. fbkj says:

appreciating hot chicks does not make one sexist

are you that politically correct?

53. larisalapointe says:

Ice boys: the frozen beef in my freezer. Not very appealing unless cooked!
    🙂

54. JF says:

When Plekanec first came up, the RDS guys said they asked him, and he said “ets.”

Ice Girls!!! are you nuts, this is Montreal!! there are ice girls on every sidewalk from one end of town to the other.!!

Someone has spent to much time in Toronto!

56. Scott in Montreal says:

Are you kidding? Ice girls and Ice boys? This is Montreal and the focus should remain on the players and the game. We need fewer gimmicks here; not more. And yes, it is sexist and demeaning.

57. Bill J says:

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Not classy to post such visually un-appealing thoughts this early in the morning.

Ice Girls > Youpi!

2010 HIO Fan Summit is not far away now folks! Check the Summit page and leave your comments.

Make sure you are aware of this years itinerary and locations.

Everyone is welcome to join us at Hurleys Pub, Satuday morning breakfast, Hall of Fame tour, the pre game dinner and don’t forget to bring something along to the Gainey Foundation Raffle.

59. notbigbird says:

Gallagher is a fiesty little fella.

How about Gomez + Gionta for KovyII? Can I dream? (Not that I’m anti Gomer like many, but still …)

Help me! Is it officially “Plekaneck” or “Plekanets.” Telecasts don’t seem to agree.

60. noelsroyce says:

Mr. Boone,

If you truly wanted to avoid the sexism comments, you would’ve posted a picture of an Ice Guy (boy is too juvenile). I’m guessing you don’t truly wish there were Ice Guys. Nice try though. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a middle aged man like yourself is sexist.

~Erin

61. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Boone, ice girls? Stick Youppi in a bikini and give him skates. It would be classier.

62. adam76 says:

So – I take it the whole myth that 51% of this site is female has been debunked?

63. Danno says:

JM would like Boone’s split squad idea. He could add it to his motivational toolbox by making the under-performing Habs who are just sitting his doghouse do something useful — in the same skimpy outfits
    of course.

It
    would be a more powerful motivator than a bag skate threat and keep everyone on their toes.

Who has photoshop?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. SPATS says:

Mr Boone, while we’d all love to see the ice honeys, do you really think the bell center blue collars and I.A.T.S.E.boys would consider relinquishing their $30+ hr jobs? C’mon get serious, there’d be blood on the ice…  dare I say maybe yours for suggesting this 😉 To be clear, I fully agree with you that this is an idea who’s time has come. Put the neanderthal blue collars on their pensions…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

65. Puck Bard says:

What? Habs don’t have ice girls? We’ve had Ice girls and boys down here for something like 5 years!

66. habsguy says:

now thats a sight I’d like to see !!!!!!!!…now I wish I could have made the summit…take pictures everyone!!!!

67. joeybarrie says:

WAIT WAIT WAIT…………

What am I reading????????

Ian, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??????

Since when can there possibly be TOO MANY scantily clad girls running around????

You are correct, there are plenty around the city to look at. This is exactly why we SHOULD be putting them on the ice and focusing on them…

I live in Wash DC. I hear all the time about how companies like Hooters adds to the negative societal ideology towards women. Well I try to tell people about this wonderful city called MONTREAL. Where the girls who want to wear MORE CLOTHES and don’t feel so comfortable in skimpy uniforms work at HOOTERS. Because at Hooters the uniforms show more clothes than other places……..

Thats Montreal… So I cannot understand for the life of me why we don’t have ice girls…

ALSO…. YES TO ICE GUYS…. something for the whole family.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. habsguy says:

okay then…Bring em on!!!!!