All-Star Fever: Catch it!

Sorry, there will be no live blog of the All-Star Draft tonight.

Arpon Basu on managing expectations

• Pierre Ladouceur’s weekly assessment of the Canadiens

Gaston Therrien sizes the team up

• So does Canadian Press

New contract for Moulson Martin Leclerc on Garth Snow

Thanks to Hellfire_Habsfan for this hilarious Eklund video.

1. Storm Man says:

You think? Im not so sure on that one Tom. I have watched them live 5 times this year and they look very good. I see Vancouver in the running this year.

” Not everyone can afford a brilliant stock advisor like storm”. TripleX 01/25/2011.20:16

2. TomNickle says:

Anyone else think that a goals against average of 2.62 and a save percentage of .907 are just the numbers of a really good backup goalie in the NHL?

3. TomNickle says:

I don’t think plus/minus is a useless statistic.  It shows you how productive a line is more than a productive player is.  And if a group of forwards for example who often play together have varying plus/minus numbers it indicates how strong a certain player is while on the ice.

4. TomNickle says:

You should just take his name out of the running now then.  That team isn’t built to win in the playoffs.

5. Curtis O Habs says:

I would argue Nabakov took the low road.  Selfish motivation.  Why Detroit?  Vancouver and Philly were not interested, thats why.  Thats not what you call a team player.  Maybe he should wait to the last possible moment and then try to sign with the hottest team, better chance of winning the cup that way.  What if Zetterberg and Lidstrom go down with season ending injuries?  Does he still sign with Detroit?  No.

6. Storm Man says:

Hart – Crosby

Norris – Lidstrom

Selke – Kesler

Vezina – Timmy.T( I need to flush now) How could I pick a player from Boston :(

Calder – Skinner ( His name is on it now)

Jack Adams – Vigneault

7. avatar_58 says:

Exactly. I cannot fault Nabokov at all – the Islanders are a terrible organization

8. TomNickle says:

If you want Vishnovsky to get nominated you should probably email 90% of the hockey writers in the United States and give them all a player bio of him, they don’t know he is, and he’s not in the class of the Norris candidates.  I do like that you included Letang though, I would have him in my top 3 today.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

10. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Habs are somehow are not in the finals Vs Vancouver I’d cheer for the Canucks. The reason being is they’ve got a great mix of players. They’ve got awesome offence with the Sedin girls but have plenty of those feisty North American players like Kessler, Bieksa and Burrows, something that our Habs desperately need.

How’s MAB magnificent career coming along in TB?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”

– George Orwell

11. TomNickle says:

Yeah but he would never beat out big mouth Richards, Drury or Dustin Brown.

12. TheDagger says:

Me too for sure, especially on the Kesler comment. But that doesn’t mean I like them (unless they throw on the CH). I just don’t like them.

13. TomNickle says:

I let Sports run my life, and it is a problem! 😉

14. TomNickle says:

What is Moen’s role while we’re on the subject?  What is Pyatt’s?

On a Jacques Martin team, you’re expected to be part of the machine.  If you stray from being part of the machine, you don’t play, unless you’re making north of $5 million annually.

Everybody is expected to play the same game on this team.  Players who allow emotion to get the better of them sit, this is why I think Engqvist is more likely to stick.

15. likehoy says:

you watch the bruins?? what is wrong with you!? 😉

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

16. TomNickle says:

Plekanec won’t win a Selke while Kesler, Toews and Datsyuk are playing in the NHL.

17. Bugs says:

Can’t help but agree, top to bottom.

However, I would amend “low” and “dirty” to maybe…”lack of foresight” and “naiveté”.

18. TomNickle says:

If I had a vote I couldn’t give the nod to a guy who plays 25% less than other goalies over the course of the year.  Especially considering how sound his team is defensively.  I guess that makes Hiller look even better.

19. joeybarrie says:

Stifle Stamkos and St. Louis and you have The Toronto Maple Leafs… I don’t think they are even close to the Cup.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. Bugs says:

Well, Snow sure doesn’t look great right now, whether Nabby walks all over him or not. I mean, what exactly would either side be “giving in to”, you know? NOT seeing their mistakes?

I think both sides should give in, Snow to put him back on waivers, and Nabby to accept to play for a contending team (as stipulated in his letter of intent) whose name might not be Detroit.

21. TomNickle says:

Chara hasn’t been good this year?  You don’t watch the Bruins.

And on the Price isn’t even close thing, if Thomas plays 20 games less than Price, Price or Hiller will get it.

22. joeybarrie says:

Well done.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

23. TheDagger says:

Hart: Agreed

Norris: Lidstrom for me

Selke: PLEKS! Maybe a little biased but I think he has a chance

Vezina: Makes me sick to say but Thomas has to be the hands down winner, ugh. Carey is second though!

Calder: Skinnerrrrrr. Love that kid

Jack Adams: Crawford definitely.

24. TomNickle says:

I would take Kesler ahead of any forward that we have on our team, at the drop of a hat.

I would take Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard or Bieksa ahead Hamrlik, Spacek, Weber and probably even Gill.

25. jimmy shaker says:

hart:  either crosby or stamkos

norris:  sure, I’ll take the big igor with ya

Selke:  for some reason I like Pleks

Vezina:  I say it’s between Hiller and Thomas

Calder:  as much as my former spitfire has done, Skinner looks the clear choice

Adams:  I like crawford as well, but Vigneault or crybaby laviolette will get the nod.

26. TomNickle says:

No thanks.  When the Habs are done, my rooting interests shift to the team I’d least like to see win the Cup, and then I hope for them to lose.

27. TheDagger says:

I’m in the same boat, I really don’t like anyone on that team (Especially Luongo) aside from maybe Mason Raymond, I would like to have him. Other than that I can’t stand them and hope they get clobbered int he first round. Love seeing Luongo fail.

28. TomNickle says:

I agree.  I’m not playing the blame game.  It’s not Hamrlik or Spacek’s faults that they can’t perform in those roles.  My problem is that other players aren’t tried out in those roles.  It seems to be a sink or swim attitude with those two vets.

29. habs365 says:

I think TSN should wait till after trade deadline..lot of good teams out there..couple of moves could be the difference..Tampa Bay, has a winner behind the bench and stevie “Y” don’t count them out….

30. Bugs says:

“Making sense”? You have me confused with someone else.

That’s just the thing I came to understand: Nabby is NOT a marketable asset. Snow CAN’T get anything for him, cuz he has to go back through waivers. So who’s gonna offer something for a guy who might get snatched up underneath’em? I know for MY part that if I was a Western team underneath Detroit, I’d pick up Nabby and SHELVE him, whether he “wants” to come to my team or not.

It would be smarter for Nabby to play THIS year, that is, 30-some games instead of 82 next year, before becoming an NHL free agent in the off-season. But again, this doesn’t work for Snow because if Nabby wins him those extra games, he loses spots in the draft.

It’s lose-lose for Snow and it served no purpose for him to do this.

31. twocents says:

I don’t hold my breath for this kind of stuff. I’m not even hoping. I’m speculating.

As for your assessment of Engqvist and White. Engqvist did show a more refined and all around game, but the forth line is for role players. Players who can add attributes that the rest of the team lacks. We have plenty of well-rounded players on the first three lines and even in Halpern on the forth.

Despite Engqvist being a better hockey player, White’s attributes are in shorter supply and may be more valuable at the current time.

32. jimmy shaker says:

Just over on TSN and reading about the canucks and how they are a big favourite to win the cup this year.  My question to you chaps is, can you see yourself rooting for the canucks to bring the cup home to Canada for the first time since 93?  Now obviously the habs are going to win the cup this year but just in case something happens and they don’t, would you A) cheer for vancouver because you like them? or B) just want a canadian team to hoist Lord Stanley, only if they’re not named Toronto?  My answer, is that I can’t find one canuck that I actually like on the team.  Vigneault is the only guy I like, all the rest of the players I pretty much could care less for.  SO I don’t know if I’m being unCanadian but, I don’t like the canucks and won’t cheer for them to win the cup and even though they’re Canadian, it still doesn’t matter to me.  What’s your take?

33. Batalla says:

Oh sure, if you want to win, the Islanders is not where you want to go (hence why Nabby isn’t reporting).  But while some may think that this may hurt his value, I doubt many teams out there would decide not to go after him because he chose not to play for the Islanders after agreeing to a contract with the Red Wings; two teams with slightly different mojo.

But I do agree with you that Nabby should suck it up and play.  If not, retire.  If not that, then just go home and cry into your big pile of money, dead hookers, and blow.

34. Bugs says:

If you loved my boy as much as you say you do, you would not only call him “Poolio”, but you would SING IT every time he scores.

35. habs03 says:

Snow has not been a good GM but he isn’t as bad as people make him seem, he has made some dumb moves like the Nabby claim, like you guys said it gives the team a bad reputation. But the Islanders under Snow had drafted some real good players, he also was made some decent moves, trade a 3rd for Wiz, and getting a 2nd and 5th for him, he could have got more but a 2nd is better then a 3rd, he also claimed a few young guys of waivers that show some promise like Grabner. A lot of the issue the Isl have is because of the ownership issue they have, Wang doesn’t want to spend money because he wants an new arean, and I don’t blame, all the NY teams are getting help from the city getting an arean expect for the Isl. To be honest in a few years (5 years not really a few), the Isl possible can have a really good young team with a new place to play. Don’t forget they are still playing almost 10M a year for Mibury’s mistakes in Yashin and DiPierto.

36. Bugs says:

For Detroit to tthink no one would grab him before they could get their paws on him was kinda naive. And a 4-yr-old child coulda told Snow there was no way Nabby would play for the Isles after going from the SHARKS to HOME, ferpetessakes. If he wants back in after THAT, it was obvious he wanted back so he could WIN. Something he ain’t ever gonna do with the Isles, not in his lifetime anyway.

Snow’s has to quickly get his permission to dump him back on waivers, because there’s no sense in convincing him to play on his club this year just to win some extra games and move down the draft line as of consequence.

Dump him back and wash your hands of it and pray everyone forgets quickly. As a freshly-schooled consultant, that’s what I would strongly suggest. From a Human Resources point of view, that is.

37. Bugs says:

Well, hold on. He might not be a MARKETABLE asset as I thought, but he can STILL be an asset. However, if he plays, what do the Isles have to gain from moving from 14th to 13th?

Thing is: if Nabby wants to play in the NHL, he has to play for the Isles first, and if he doesn’t want to do it NEXT year for 82 games, it’s in his best interest (again, if he wants to come back to the NHL) to play out the rest of the 30-some games this year.

What I’m sayin is, everyone’s got their their heads up their butts on this one, not just me.

38. Batalla says:

Dammit.  You were the only one making sense!

Okay, Snow is dumb.  This I grant.  But so too was Milbury, so my suspicion is that this is a byproduct of the organization (read, “owner”) and if that is true, then that means that the organization had a bad reputation long before this “outrage”.

So now ask yourself, what does reputation matter to this team, anyways?  UFAs won’t go to the Islanders unless stupid money is offered.  Trades won’t happen because there is nothing to trade aside from Johnny-boy (and only Milbury is THAT dumb).  So what’s left to do?  Draft and waivers, baby.

In my opinion, this is a savvy if totally immoral move.  It was well within the rules of the CBA for the Islanders to grab Nabby.  They did it, it’s over, move on.  Oh, Detroit will be pissed off alright.  So what do they do?  Well, they can shrug their shoulders and forget about it.  Or they can offer up something to the Islanders and land their man afterall.  In either case, Snow wins.

True, Snow will get some “flak” as if though he broke some kind of “code”.  But at the end of the day, he got an asset from which he WILL get SOMETHING.  And you have to respect that.  It’s not like he has a lot to work with.

39. Rob says:

I may have missed something along the way, but has Bugs decided to alter his online persona?  or is this not the real bugs?

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

40. TheDagger says:

I don’t think it was dumb for Snow to make a play at a player that would improve his team, but I do think he was pretty naive for him to think Nabby would come to play for the Isles and that’s why people think he is an idiot in this situation. He probably lost a bit of respect around the league for his play but now that he is in this mess I think he has to stick to his guns and not let Nabby dictate what happens next at risk of looking like a total doormat.

41. TomNickle says:

On the contrary, there are probably 14 teams in the Western Conference that love Garth Snow for doing what he did Bugs.

42. twocents says:

Steve, I’ll leave the SK file be, and state that I agree with you on the O’Byrne situation.(I think the organization was being too accommodating).

But when it comes to Lapierre, we got what’s he’s worth. Look at what Atlanta got for Eager and he’s arguably better at the role and definitely has a richer resume. And we got more for Lapierre.

43. 25 cups says:

not so… it was a good move because he knew that Nabby wouldn’t play for him. Now that Nabby has been suspended the Isles own his rights for next season and can trade him next season without having to clear waivers.
    At least, that’s the way I understood it…

PS… Is anyone else having difficulties posting from their mobile?

44. Mattyleg says:

White’s back in Hamilton already.

I’d like Eller to sit. He’s not getting points and his physical work can be picked up by others.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

45. joeybarrie says:

If that was for my sole benefit it was not necessary. We will always be lifelong friends based on our mutual love for POULIOT….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re right that the rule is stupid. The rule is consistent with the NHL policy of helping the weak (i.e. poorly run) teams.

47. Bugs says:

Why does he have to clear waivers again? I don’t get that. Isles claimed him, no? Is he claimed or not? Can you suspend a player who’s not on your team? Honestly, I don’t understand. Please?

48. HabFanSince72 says:

Doesn’t have to go back on waivers; he is already claimed. Isles own him. No?

No. (See above.)

49. joeybarrie says:

I am pretty sure you are incorrect. If the NYI want to do anything with him he will have to go thru waivers again. The ONLY thing he can do is to PLAY. Which everyone knew he wouldn’t LAST SEASON….

He can’t market a player who hangs up on him and says your team sucks so much i have no desire to even come over there to skate around for almost a quarted of a million dollars… Hence the expression YOU COULDNT PAY ME TO JOIN THAT TEAM. How do NYI fans look at their team now??? How does the board like their perceived credibility?

Again, CANNOT trade him without going thru waivers. From ESPN…

” They can go to the NHL and say they want to trade Nabokov, but two things have to happen for any trade to happen: Nabokov would have to waive his no-movement clause and the Isles would have to put him back on the waiver wires, as stated in section 13.23 of the CBA.”

So again, a guy comes in and signs a NO TRADE CLAUSE to play with a team.

So again, and I have asked this question MANY MANY times, without ANY actual answer. WHAT CAN SNOW POSSIBLY GAIN FROM THIS?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. gK_HabsFan says:

Yemelin listed at 6’1 223 lbs.

Built like a truck!

51. joeybarrie says:

I would be more convinced if NYI had another actual backup. The two he has in there are not prepared for anything but depth in the 3rd and 4th spot. To me Roloson is their aging backup. DiPietro is the starter. They traded away their backup without anyone there who could do the job if the guy who was hurt for the LAST TWO YEARS got hurt again.

To me a dumb move, for nothing but a defensive prospect who may someday be a 4th defenseman… On a team that already has 4-5 other prospective defensemen ranking above Wishart…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

52. Bugs says:

Nabby is now with the Isles, whether he stays in Russia or moves to Timbuktu. Doesn’t have to go back on waivers; he is already claimed. Isles own him. No? I mean, you can’t suspend a player who doesn’t belong to you, can you?

Snow doesn’t want to “add Nabby to the team even after trading so’n’so”, Joey; no, he just wants to add an ASSET. That he can maybe market.

And if this pays off with a 2nd round pick, say, I think Bowman would congratulate him for his GM savvy. What the heck are GMs for, anyway?

53. SLONCOLD says:

nabby was greedy by the way and he should have educated himself on the current rules before he went to russia.

i kinda think the rule is stupid in all honesty.

54. Storm Man says:

Danny Watkins, It is nice that a guy from Canada is taking a shot at playing in the NFL. I wish him all the best.

55. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s getting flak because Nabby will not leave Russia to play for the Isles for $285,000. So all he is doing is messing up Detroit and Nabakov’s plans. (Not that I care by the way.) He is not helping his team in any way by doing this. He won’t get the player. He has pissed off another organization.

If he was doing this to Toronto, Philly or Boston I’d be laughing, so I’m probably a hypocrite.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Down Goes Brown checks in with brand-new skills competitions for the ASG.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. I got embroiled in a verrrrrry long ‘discussion’ about this on here the other day.

I’m with you; I don’t see why people are unhappy about this. Snow has done the right thing. The Red Wings ran the risk of putting Nabokov through waivers, and they failed. Now if they REALLY want him, they’ll have to trade for him.

That’s the way it goes!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. B says:

I think he would have to clear waivers again before he could be traded.

59. likehoy says:

It would be funny if staal picks a terrible team and his team gets killed 12-0

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

60. Oddball says:

Some one should forward this cartoon to Bruce Garrioch from the Ottawa Sun. He’s been really slacking on his trade rumours / make believe / great American novel articles lately. I mean everyone knows teams are just lining up to trade for L’Eartless, according to ol’ Brucey Boy, but that’s starting to get stale now.

It sounds like he could get an armful of un-substantiated BS from this cartoon alone. Just think Bruce, a weeks worth of fantasy reporting is only a click away!

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

61. joeybarrie says:

Good article by Arpon Basu. Now that being said the only thing it made me think of was how much value our city puts in points. Production is the biggest indicator to this city of an induviduals worth, and value we receive for their contract. I do not believe this to be completely accurate. A few things that stuck me.

Gionta is basically on pace for the same amount of goals as last season. So is our whole team.

Our team is on pace to have 21 less goals allowed this season. Which is a considerable difference.

Cammalleri had 20 goals by this time last season. Also a considerable difference.

As Basu says we are 10 points above where we were last year at this time. We are also on pace for 97 points.

Ending our season with 16 wins, 4 overtime losses and 12 loses will give us 95 points. Would have been good enough for 5th last season. BUT this is THIS season, and it might end up different.

Beating Boston, and taking points from Washington will be the key to our continued success towards the end of the season. I say success because to me our goal is to do better than last season. Can we go to the Conf. Finals again this year… ABSOLUTELY, as long as we do not play Philly until then. Will we? Doubtful, very doubtful. However I will consider going to the 2nd round not bad at all. We are missing 2 big keys to our team.

All this leads me to think about where we are. And I have to say I am pretty happy with what we have. I am absolutely disappointed with the fact that we are without Markov and Gorges this season, however we are doing well without them and are that one step away from being in the top of the league. So here are the good things I see:

-Cammi might be having an off season, but then again so are others in the league. We thought he could come in and be a 40 goals scorer. Well last season he was pretty damn close. 39 goals through 84 games. He can absolutely get 35+ goals a season.

-PK is clearly going to be a star and as he gains experience and self discipline he will be not only more effective than he currently is (which is pretty good) but not as much a liability as he is, and you can’t say that at times he isn’t hurting us. I wont say anything about anyone else last game, but his penalty is the one that broke our back and 2 goals were the result (again, not ONLY his fault, BUT if he had not have taken that penalty we might have gone into the 3rd period with only a 1 goal deficit. I’ll end this point be saying he really should not have to have this much of a load on him, but in the long run it can only help. And he is doing a great job if you ask me.

-Price is clearly going to be a star, and same as PK with experience he will only get more solid and consistent.

-Pleks is consistently playing great and is a big key to our success as he seems to play everywhere.

-We know what we are getting with guys like AK, Pouliot, and Spacek. The issue there is our own expectations. 25-30 goals from AK, 20-25 from Pouliot (on the 3rd line by the way) and a solid aging defenceman who has been playing too much thru necessity. But you cannot deny that Hamr and Spach have done very well over the course of the season, and if you ask me, these 3 guys are some of the best 3rd liners and 5th defencemen out there. And yes, I think AK should be on the 3rd line. Thru injuries he will get time on the top 2, but thats where our hole is.

-MaxPac is coming along nicely and seems to be set to become a 2nd line power forward.

-Eller is also coming along well, and again our own expectations were crazy to begin with. People thought because he was traded for Halak, this season he would show that he is going to be a superstar… He has the lowest average ice time on our team. He doesnt even have 2 full seasons in North America. He is coming along nicely, and will become a very good player. He is showing flashes of brilliance, and with more ice time and more experience he will get closer to what people think he already is, the problem there is that it takes time for most players to adjust to this style game. Give him some time. Pretend he is playing in the AHL…

-Gomez and Gionta are a good pair. They play the same amount of time on even strength as Pleks and Cammi.

-Our supporting players are playing great. Darche, Halpern, and Gill.

-The Wiz is a great addition, if we can keep him. And we most likely can cause we have alot of cap space for next season. Even though we have alot to do there.

In summary we have 2 good first lines, and a good defence. The caoch is playing them well and they are for the most part defensive and discliplined. The team has faith in the coach and in my opinion they are playing better than what we have on paper. What we are missing is only 1 thing:

– ONE key impact player. (like always) One more Pleks. I can wish for a 80+ point player. But that isn’t realistic. But we can acquire someone who can fit this role. Simon Gagne might be an interesting player to acquire. Tampa is going to have to break the bank to sign Stamkos and the fact he is underperforming right now might just become a situation that we have seen too often. We let go of John Leclaire just to see him play GREAT with another team… His cap is less than what we are getting back with Hamr, and we will most likely be able to get him for less because of this season. I don’t think he is playing particularly badly, I simply think his team sucks with the exception of the top line. Take away their top line and you have a team that isn’t doing as well as ours. They will go out and re-sign Stamkos and try to get a solid goalie. I do not think they will be left with enough to give Gagne 5 million. WE CAN. I say try it for 1-2 seasons. He produces in the playoffs, and I think will be a good addition to this team.

The biggest thing I see here is this ridiculously long post is our own expectations. We were always able to compete. We can acheive big things when we go on a run. When we play the best hockey we can, we are able to acheive great things. But we have been missing a few components. That being said we have been filling our holes very well over the last 6 years and have come to the place where if we stay reasonably free from injury and have one more BIG player we can do great things more consistently. Losing Hamr this season will be our chance. I hope we have the opportunity to take it. But in the end we look at our own players and say, not scoring 40 goals. Not worth it… Look at Tampa who alot in here have a hard on for. other than Stamkos and St. Louis, they are doing similar to our own players. And our team is much more complete than theirs. Lose Stamkos and they are done like dinner. We have already lost our Stamkos and we are still in the race. I have to re-evaluate my own expectations as Markov was not coming back, and our secret hero Gorges loss led to our D corps doing thing beyond their capability.

No one can tell me that losing Timonen, Pronger for the season and now Giroux for a decent period, that they would still be considered a Stanley Cup contender. Cause they wouldn’t be, they would be this year Caps (from last season). Pittsburgh can’t do it without Crosby, let alone without Crosby and Malkin. Washington isnt currently doing it while Ovie is slumping and still have the defensive holes. They couldn’t score 1 goal against Atlanta. Take the Sedin’s away from Vancouver, and Zetterberg and Lidstrom from Detroit and you have what people have been calling us….. MEDIOCRE.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Snow is an idiot. He is making the NYI organization’s already shabby image look even worse. What message does it send to their feeble fans base when a player hangs up the phone when he’s told he’s going to the Islanders?

Snow knew damn well the Nabokov would never report and made that dumb move anyways. Nabokov isn’t out to make money, he’s already rich. All Nabokov wanted to do was go and basically work for free and take a shot at winning the cup.

The Islanders and Snow are the laughing stock of professional sports and this brainless stunt only helps confirm their already tarnished reputation. Idiotic.

– George Orwell

63. fbkj says:

nabokov cant be traded without clearing waivers

64. Bugs says:

So what if he doesn’t play for’em? They were finishing last anyway. Now, they’re finishing last but OWN Nabby too. Isles now have an extra marketable asset.

Maybe Detroit doesn’t want to add a 2nd rounder over the 500 000$ they were prepared to pay for Nabby (a pretty good deal right off the bat), but maybe Philly will.

So out of nothing had Snow let such an opportunity pass, an opportunity set in place by the RULES for JUST such an occasion, that is, to let weaker teams have first crack at getting better, Snow could turn into a 2nd round pick.

And that would be a GOOD move for the Isles, and there’s no reason for anyone to queer that.

65. SLONCOLD says:

well dipetro was going to play but then he got hurt 2 days after the roloson trade. just an FYI

66. joeybarrie says:

The reason to me why he is getting so much ‘flak’ is because he did it knowing the player would not play for them. So you take your chance and then move on. He will not move on. Put the player back on waivers and go back to what you were trying to originally do (which I don’t know what it was).

If you wanted an aging veteran to play goalie for your team…. WHY DID YOU TRADE ROLOSON AWAY for an AHL player?????

It’s not that it is against the rules. It’s not because he is trying to gets something. Its because there is no possibly way for Snow to get anything out of this deal, and he did it anyway.

In order to trade him, he has to go thru waivers again. All Snow did was block Detroit from getting a veteran backup for a Stanley Cup run. I would even concede if Philly or Vancouver did it, then fine. I see what you are gaining. NYI??????? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

That makes him a prick. A prick with nothing to gain, and alot to lose.

As much as GM’s compete, they work together too. Tell me if you were (Bowman, oops) Holland, would you deal with Snow again?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

67. Bugs says:

Will you say the same if Snow gets a 2nd rounder out of it?

…a FREE 2nd rounder, it should  be noted…

68. Exit716 says:

I have a solution to the Isles goaltending woes. They should trade for Pascal Leclair from Ottawa. He’s never injured. They’d have an awesome one-two combo of guys that would keep the trainers and team doctors busy forever.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t understand the rules. He is not an asset. The Isles cannot trade Nabokov because he has to clear waivers again. And will do so every time someone tries to trade him.

In other words, if the Isles agree to a trade with  Philly, then Detroit (and every other team except Philly) will be able to claim him off waivers before the trade goes through. So Detroit would get him free anyway.

The Isles have only two options: prevent him from playing  this year (and next!) or let him go for nothing.

They can’t trade him. Not even to Detroit.

70. Bugs says:

Can someone explain to me why? i mean, they CLAIMED him, no? They even SUSPENDED him. Don’t they OWN him?

71. kirkiswork says:

After all, Snow didn’t make the rules he is just using him to his advantage. Nothing wrong with that.

Arpon Basu asks, “how much better could you have reasonably expected this team to be at this point?”

Keeping in mind that he’s asking a glass is half-empty question, here are a few things that I thought could have been better.

• I realize he’s elevated his game, but Gomez’s lackadaisical start for the first 30 games was brutal.  Saying he has always been a slow starter is just pure rationalization.  It’s like saying that a pitcher is a slow starter and usually loses his first ten games.
    • Cammalleri was brought in to be a high scoring forward.  That hasn’t happened so far this year. He’s paid to score 35+ goals a year.  He needs to hit that mark because the rest of his game is ho-hum.
    • AK 46’s inconsistent play and effort have now put him back on the clock.  30 goals a season is a realistic expectation.  Anything less, is failure on his part.
    • Trading SK74, OB and Laps for a 3rd round pick out of the Quebec junior league still leaves me baffled.  I realize two of those guys are problem children, but there is no excuse for screwing up with O’Byrne.  The Hab management team has to get better at putting square pegs into round holes.

Aside from those four points, I think the Habs have done quite well.  The improved play of Price, MaxPac and Darche have to be the biggest highlights of the year for me so far.  I also give G&G credit for grabbing the Wiz early enough in the year in order for him to influence the outcome of our playoff quest.

73. Bugs says:

Well…if any team can claim him within the gap of quality teams existing between the Wings and the Isles, is it not possible for, say, the Cappers to pick him up too?

Or would Nabby refuse it as well?

74. twocents says:

So who sits when Cammalleri is back? Considering Pyatt is already sitting, Desharnais is proving he can produce points at this level, Darche is scoring, Eller keeps working his arse off and shows no hesitation in the physical department, Moen’s size is scarce, Pouliot’s has been producing, Pacioretty is playing well, AK keeps working, Halpern brings face-offs and solid all around play, White has brought energy and edge.

Who sits?

I say likely White. Though I think I’d prefer Moen to sit, not for a lengthy stretch though. Maybe a platoon rotation on the forth line would be the charm. Moen, White, and Pyatt. Who knows maybe White won’t be recalled.

Any other opinions?