All Kovy II, all the time

Hey, Ilya Kovalchuk a great player – right up there with Crosby and Ovechkin.

His cap hit – $6 million in that crazy contract – is equal to Mike Cammalleri and $!,357,143 less than Scott Gomez.

And we’ll get to see Kovalchuk, live and on RDS, four times a season – plus playoffs … maybe.

Pat Hickey (whom HIO has signed for 17 years) on The Decision

Kings gamble big and lose big

Devils gamble on the short term – Eric Duhatschek

Scott Burnside’s take

Ken Campbell weighs in

Yvon Pedneault assesses the deal

Down Goes Brown got a copy of the contract

In non-Kovy news, Blair Mackasey – a familiar face in the scouts’ section of the Bell Centre pressbox – has been named the Minnesota Wild’s director of player personnel. The Wild also extended the contract of Guy Lapointe, who’s their amateur scouting coordinator.

And they’re lovin’ Simon Gagné in Tampa. And the Philly media will miss him.

1. HabFab says:

I would settle for them all scoring 4 more goals each then last year.

PK subbing for MAB, Ellers for Metro and Boyd for Moore.

2. Bugs says:

You gonna do all that to offer Marc Staal a sheet BEFORE the Rangers eventually sign him? For Staal? Trade away, dump away just to offer Staal a sheet that the Rangers won’t match?

I dunno, Mally. Maybe more thought should go into this, no?

I don’t see what our big problem is on defence that Staal would fix. Taking drastic measures to acquire HIM specifically isn’t worth the trouble at all, imo.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. Bob Barker says:

That’s my understanding. Plus there’s no transfer agreement between the two leagues so Kovalchuk could just pull a Radulov anyway. If it’s when he’s 38, NJ wouldn’t even be upset.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t see why we have to torch Gauthier for not even being on the job for one year yet we’re expecting him to institute these sweeping changes to make this team a Cup Contender, he was a big part of the reset of the team Gainey organized last summer and that team pushed farther than any team since 1993. He made some tough choices this off-season and we have no idea how these moves will pan out but you argue he’s made no progress? We don’t even know how the next season will go or if these moves are for the best.

We can’t pretend we can contend every season No team can) and I will bet right now that MTL gets farther in the playoffs than NJ does in 10-11.

And Maclean can try and take the team in a different direction, but the team is built on the trap and the philosophy that let them win is the trap, it’s Lou’s philosophy and it tends to be an institutional philosophy and if they abandon the trap, Brodeur’s stats are going to sink as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. Bob Barker says:

I wish Gauthier could have made it happen. Hamrlik would have to take one for the team and agree to go to the KHL though. Or Pleks wouldn’t have been re-signed.

Kovalchuk-Gomez-Gionta

Cammalleri-Eller-Pouliot/AK46

Two 40+ goal scorers in our top-6 + Subban + Markov = success.

6. ZepFan2 says:

He’s been signed already (long term)!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

7. Bob Barker says:

They’ll just trade for Kaberle. Not as good as Markov but would help NJ a lot.

8. Bill J says:

I could be wrong Bugs…. However…

I believe if after 10-11 years if Kovy2 retires from the NHL.

He can THEN bolt to the KHL (no cap hit anymore to NJ) and get whatever the hell he wants to get paid.

Heck, Kovy2 could retire in 3-4 years.  Just means he can’t come back to the NHL.

Again, I could be wrong…. But that is how I understand it to work.

9. SlovakHab says:

That Kovalchuk contract is absolutely ridiculous.. last 5 years at 550k – really? I can really see a 56-year-old Kovalchuk chasing the pucks on NJ’s 4th line for a $6M cap hit. He will retire as soon as his salary goes down and BTW, his NMC expires in 2017, then it’s only a NTC.. Just in case he’d reject to retire soon enough, he will be waived or sent to AHL.

For me, this contract is a massive cheating but sure, the rules suck at the first place.. NHL remains a bush league and NJ Devils are up there with the Flyers, Boston and the Leafs on my dislike list for this contract.