Alex Auld playing the waiting game

playoffs, practice, montreal canadiens, bell complex

Dave Stubbs spoke with Canadiens backup goaltender Alex Auld on Monday and wrote a feature on the netminder, who has yet to receive a new contract offer from Montreal.

Auld also expressed shock at how little attention his battery mate Carey Price received in voting for the Vézina trophy, but wasn’t surprised he was seventh in voting for the league MVP award.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey on Canadiens decision to cut ties with Pouliot, Pyatt and Picard.

Pierre McGuire leaving TSN: Hickey

Coyotes saga takes another twist: Globe and Mail

Canadiens invite QMJHL scoring leader Brodeur to camp: RDS

• sally122 says:

I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!
      I’m probably not well-engaged enough to pick up much on those, but I have observed that there are “…narratives of the tribe” here — perennial narratives that go away, if at all, only very slowly.

1. shakey says:

Auld was terrible when he came in. There are a ton of better goalies out there who can back up Price. Keep looking.

2. emann_222 says:

I talked about this days ago with this article (http://wp.me/p1n6pU-3s) “Montreal Canadiens Netminder : Who’s #2″

I think it’s a crying shame that he has not been signed yet, and for all the reasons that people are stating here. He played solid in 12 starts, he came in to relieve Price when neeed, he had good solid GAA and SV% numbers AND he knows his place as a back-up. No goalie controversy. good chemistry with Price.

If this team wants to make the right move, they need to re-sign him and forget Garon, or using MacIntyre.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

3. Duracell3 says:

Pierre McGuire leaving TSN: Hickey

This story cannot be big enough.

4. Bill H says:

Nice article on Auld, Mr. Stubbs.

I don’t get it. Why isn’t Auld being offered a new contract? He seems to work well with Price. He has the ability to step in after sitting on the bench for weeks and still perform well. He has a good W/L record, GAA, and SV%. And he won’t cost much. So who can they get that will fit better than Auld?

5. VancouverHab says:

Dear Andrew:

“…the narrative of the day”: neat (literally); I like it.

6. punkster says:

OK, now this is real news. Montreal police to probe Chara…well Chara’s hit…seriously, read it. Too funny. OK how many probing jokes can we stack up here today?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. punkster says:

I blame Gomez.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

8. I’m still hoping they sign Pouliot to something before the first. The probability of Palushaj or Engqvist filling his role seems slight. The scarcity of the UFA market this year coupled with the reluctance of management to disturb the team “stability” tells me it’s Pou-Pou or nothing.

Hey Boone. Where’s that check you promised me for upping the hit counter?

Timo. You and I still got it baby!!!

To all the aye-sayers out there, not the nay-sayers, that would be Timo and I, it wouldn’t bother you all if what we said didn’t strike a nerve.

It’s because we’re directing you all deep down inside in the back of your minds to where your darkest fears about the Habs exist.

Timo and I are the eye-openers. We are the ones dragging you all from adolescence into adulthood. I know this post pubescent stage is a tough one but you’ll all be happier once the growing pains are a thing of the past.

• TomNickle says:

I think you labelling everyone who disagrees with you a homer or blind, or a kool aid drinker has more to do with the responses you get than the root of your opinion. Any rational fan would agree that we need more size up front and that keeping your draft picks is good policy.

You’ll have to forgive some of the people around here that don’t think we need a ufc roster to win in the NHL.

• The funny thing is that HH is bragging about pissing people off, when for the most part people are laughing at his comments and trolling him back, and he has massive freakouts about credibility and other such words that he can’t define while he changes his opinion to suit the narrative of the day.

• TomNickle says:

I’m sticking with bi-polar. Just under half of the time he’s friendly and open to others’ suggestions, even when they’re wildly illogical. Can’t say the same for myself.

I have less patience. But not little man syndrome fortunately.

• HardHabits says:

I can define credibility.

credibility – something that Andrew Berkshire lacks.

I can use it in context too.

Andrew Berkshire has no credibility because he posits straw man and ad hominem arguments rather then engage in reasonable debate.

• punkster says:

Funny. You’re a funny guy.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HalifaxHabs says:

wow, you really are a full-blown narcissist.

congrats on realizing that you and Timo are the only ones who know the truth.

• Timo says:

I feel like there is a song coming.

I think I got it now. A good Habs fan is one who takes his/her medication. One who is happy in a drug induced halcyon state of mind thinking all is well with the Habs.

It’s another way of saying drink the kool-aid.

• TomNickle says:

You are bi-polar. I’m not insulting you. I wish you could see how much your opinion and mood varies from post to post and day to day.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Be honest though HH… you think anyone who doesn’t agree with you, on the current state of the organization, falls into that category(kool-aid sippers) right?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m just looking forward to the season so that we can concentrate on what’s happening in the actual games instead of calling each other idiots for wanting to sign different 4th line players.

11. Malreg says:

Why do people even bother responding and reacting to HH and Timo? It’s the same thing everyday, but people still try to answer them and still react to them.

Why waste your breath(err, keystrokes?)? It only encourages them.

12. TomNickle says:

This Hamrlik offer is loyalty pure and simple. Many of the players feel that the team is within striking distance of the Cup and they don’t want to see Hamrlik miss out on an opportunity to win one after all of his years of service in the league.

If he’s given a role among our top 4 defenseman, this team is in trouble.

• patience is a virtue says:

Do you think it indicates that there is interest in Spac from a team that needs to make the cap floor? Taking Hammer off the market might make it all the more likely that the teams looking for veteran D that need to hit the floor would consider Spac.

Seems risky – we really don’t want all of Gill, Spac and Hammer filling up top 6 spots. The log jam back there would be verging on ridiculous. Can’t believe PG would go there…

• TomNickle says:

I’d say that Spacek doesn’t factor into it. His salary doesn’t hold the team back from doing anything. The Habs will have close to $10 million in cap room even after Gorges and Weber are signed.

• patience is a virtue says:

I’m thinking of roster space, not cap space:

Markov-Gorges
          Gill-Subban
          Spac-Hammer

Where does that leave Weber and, in particular, Emelin?

• TomNickle says:

I’m not going to pretend to know what they’re thinking. If they’re offering Hamrlik a contract it’s clear that Weber or Yemelin aren’t in their plans for regular duty this year.

• Viruk42 says:

Who says it has to be like that? Why can’t they rotate between Spac and Emelin? Using whoever is playing better, depending on the opposition, etc. That way they ease Emelin in, rather than just throw him into the NHL without a backup option. Just because they can only play 6 Dmen at once doesn’t mean they should only have 6 Dmen total…

Weber, meanwhile, can play as a 4th line forward, though I’m not sure he’d be happy about it, and I suspect that’s their plan.

13. patience is a virtue says:

I love it here when HH and Timo are both on.

It’s kinda like a bad dream where you’re in the playoffs down a goal in game seven and Lapierre is on the other team but he’s been cloned and there’s two of him smirking and yapping in your face.

I mean that in a good way.

• Garcia129 says:

I’m thinking it’s more likely either Weber or Yemelin play in the top 6, and Spaceman as the 7th D. Not to mention Nash and Carle putting some pressure on that 7th spot.

I have a hard time believing PG will offer Hammer a contract without having a plan to offload Spach.

Just my opinion.

In Price we Trust

Goddamn!!! Tampa signed MAB for 2 years. Wake the F up, Gauthier!!! Sigh. Missed another chance to get MAB back. What an utterly useless GM.

Looks like this team is going to be soooo much better by the time October rolls in (NOT).

• t1tan5 says:

So you would rather have someone who makes tons and tons of moves? How did that work out for the Leafs? Their GM had his name engraved on the Cup this year.

• Talik Sanis says:

Perhaps we should wait until after free agency opens up to make that determination. Then, after Gautier makes no moves to improve the team without loosing assets, other than adding an under-six-foot fourth liner, we can complain while in possession of all the facts and the moral high ground.

• RGM says:

Timo, are you secretly Bev Oda? I’ve not seen anybody but her use the word “not” in such fashion in many years.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

16. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Just read the Hickey article and the first words that greated me this morning:

“Canadian hockey fans will be seeing a lot less of Pierre McGuire in the future.”

WOO-HOO!!! What a great way to start my day!!

• kirkiswork says:

I gotta agree with that!

McGuire often refers to his days coaching with the Penguins back in 91-92. Hockeydb lists the Asst. Coach’s and his name is not there. I have always maintained that his only role on that team was to open and close the bench door. Is that really an official Asst. Coach job? Why wouldn’t he be listed?

So happy he will be less involved with TSN broadcasts.

Anybody who thinks both Spacek and Hamrlik won’t be seeing big minutes is deluded. This is JM’s team. Muller’s gone. It’ll be all dinosaurs all the time. Markov and Gorges will be so over-played that both get injured by December. PK will sit on the bench for 4 games for making one mistake. Gomez will get 20+ minutes a game even though by December he’ll have only scored 2 goals and gotten 11 assists. He’ll be a minus 6 by then and 48% in the FO circle. Gionta will have had 200 shots also by then but only an 6% shooting average.

Plex will play more PK than ever.

Philadelphia will pound the crap out of us one day and the next Boston will tear whatever meat is left right off our bones. Toronto will suck the marrow out next game.

The good news will be Desharnais will get the most points (54) as a Hab while only playing an average of 12 minutes per game.

JM will mention goaltending and speciality teams in every press conference he gives.

• RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

This is HH’s job on HIO lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fEjJ4Ecy9Q

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

The Hamburgler?

• HardHabits says:

Listen to a typical AB rant:

What I’m saying has nothing to do with Habs history, and everything to do with Habs present. I think in all walks of life, be it business, sports or entertainment, whatever, you have to have standards.

The only standard in sports is winning. Habs haven’t done that since ’93. In fact they have one top 10 finish since then. The Habs standard = mediocrity.

Getting to the finish line is always excellent, but it would cheapen it to do it with a team you hate.

So you would hate a team of tough players who win? Every team hates PK. We need more players that opponents hate.

Am I asking for too much to want to see a winner without a Marchand type? Perhaps. But I have high standards.

Nice high standards because those standards accept mediocrity. I’d take Marchand in a heart beat. Look at some tape of him in the WJC’s.

I don’t think we’re as far away as the common narrative pretends on this site. Last season we were a better team than the Bruins when healthy, and we came within a bounce of knocking them out despite them getting almost all the bounces.

Better than the Bruins? You are not just a dreamer but a stupid one at that. The Bruins won the division. They closed us out. They mangled us when we had a shot of taking the division. They came back from 2-0 deficits and 3-1 in game 4. They beat us 3 times in OT. To say the Habs had the better team is not just ludicrous it’s idiotic.

Why were the Habs not healthy? Could it be they were too small and soft to sustain the punishment of NHL play? Of course not. Just dumb luck. Like the Bruins winning the Cup. Just lucky bounces. And of course collusion from the league. Sounds more like double standards.

We don’t have a team that dominates the regular season over 82 games, but we have one that brings it when it counts. Unfortunately last season, all the wrong people were injured at the wrong time, doubt it happens again.

Sounds like a mother trying to comfort her child as tsunami hits.

The Habs are not a contender last year. The two biggest rivals in the East just got a whole lot better and we’re skating the same team with the hopes of staying healthy.

————————-

Keep on drinking the kool-aid.

• TomNickle says:

So HH, you haven’t taken your meds yet today?

• When you can write a single sentence without a logical fallacy, I’ll respond to you seriously. Until then, all I see is:

• HardHabits says:

Logical fallacy? You mean like saying a team that beat us in the last games of the regular season, a team that had a better regular season record than us, a team that beat us in the play-offs, a team that scored more goals and let fewer in, a team that went on to win the Stanley Cup, is not a better team. I wont pull my punches any more with you AB.

You give Habs fans a bad name. You are the type of commenter that makes us all seem like wimps and dreamers. You started losing credibility when you trolled NESN. Who has the last laugh now? You lost all credibility with your Pierre McGuire article.

You make Jack Edwards look impartial.

• No, like an actual fallacy of logic, like a strawman, which is all you do. Grow up. You argue like a child.

• HardHabits says:

Dude. You are projecting. The straw man is you.

Read the following –> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I do not disregard key points of arguments. That is something you do. You continuously gloss over many of my points and attack one element of my discourse and proceed to distort it while doing so.

I do not present a misrepresentation of the opponent’s position. That is something that you do and others here as well. I say the Habs need more size and grit, the straw men say we don’t need goons.

Nor do I quote an opponent’s words out of context. I quoted you verbatim and responded to each point all in context.

Another thing you also do is present someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then refuting that person’s arguments — thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated. Isn’t that what you said about the narrative here. That the Habs are not so far away because those who say other wise are just HH copy cats?

Oversimplifying an opponent’s argument, then attacking this oversimplified version. Sounds like you again.

No Andrew. I don’t argue, but I do debate like an adult. I present premises. I support them. I wrap them up in a tidy conclusion. Plato would be proud.

Here is a typical AB argument. I don’t have to answer that because you are straw man therefore I am right. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. Link to SouthPark skit.

You’re barking up the wrong tree attacking me AB.

• Timo says:

I think you are being way too optimistic re Gomez.

• davelecave says:

Man you gotta chill out, free agency hasn’t even started yet. At least wait to see if PG has some master plan.

I’m not saying he does, but anything is possible.

• ZepFan2 says:

I see today it’s going to be a HH rant day.

sigh

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Someone needs a hug.

Toronto was supposed to scare, bully and be ‘tough to play against’ for two years now. Still hasn’t happened. Boston, Regular season play since the lockout has been thoroughly dominated by Montreal. Three significant injuries against them in the past three seasons, two of them in the freak Lang tendon slice and the Guimauve shoulder seperation in the 2009 Meltdown, the last being attempted murder by Chara. Philidelphia has moved away from their Bullies aspect to strong, skilled hockey these days, especially under Laviolette who seems set to get the worst of their offenders, Dan Carcillo off his roster.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• punkster says:

No, yes, yes, no, doubt it but you never know, ludicrous, hope not, OK if he puts up points, silly, possibly, really dumb, incredibly dumb, in bizarro world maybe, ya he just might.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Gerry H says:

Wow, HardHabits would have made a classic French General: always fighting the last war instead of the present one.

Hamrlik and Spacek, if they play for the Canadiens this year, will not play the kind of minutes they were forced to play last year, due to injuries. Both, especially Hamrlik, are perfectly serviceable 3rd pair Dmen who can contribute 12-15 minutes of effective D a game. The 22-25 they had to play last year toasted both, especially Spacek.

• Garcia129 says:

I told myself I’d stop reading your posts, but you got me. That’s a win for you.

Spaceman has to go, I’ll concede that. Worst case he’ll be our 7th D-man. But you’re forgetting Webs and Yemlin. Both are young talents that have had some time to mature and are ready to play in the top 6. That mean Gill and Hammer as the only 2 grey beard slow moving D-men, and they will never play together. We also have Nash and Carl waiting in the wings in Hamilton, along with Tinordi and our Beaulieu a few years away. You need some veterans there to bring the kids along.

The way i look at it, after signing Goerges (2.5-3), Weber (1), Hamrlik (2.5), Auld or other back up (1) and White (1), we’ll have 7 D-men, 11 Forwards and 2 goalies under contract, with 6 mill still left to play with.

In Price we Trust

Philadelphia picked Carter 11th. One spot after the Habs chose Andrei Kostitsyn. Philadelphia then went on to pick Mike Richards at 24th over-all.

For Richards Philadelphia got in return Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds, and a second-round pick in the 2012 draft.

For Carter Philadelphia got in return Jakub Voracek as well as first-round pick (Sean Couturier) and third-round 2011 picks.

Does anybody think AK46 would get the Habs anything better than maybe a career AHLer, a 2nd pick in 2020 and a bag of pucks?

Meanwhile the Habs are constantly trading picks away for patchwork repairs and signing over the hill has-beens. What a joke of a franchise.

Hey but we won 24 Cups. Woohoo!!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Doin’ a little trolling on this Tuesday morning I see?

• t1tan5 says:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

• 123456 says:

of course they trade away draft picks – because they stink at drafting right???? of course they trade away young guys for vets becuse they stink at developing young talent….

• habs03 says:

With the 41 pick in the 2nd round of the 2007 Draft Philly drafted D-man Kevin Marshall. 2 picks later MTL drafted a guy named PK Subban with the 43th pick. Enough said you troll!

Don’t forget 1980 when we took Wickenheiser instead of Dave Babych… or some other guy named Savard

• JasonM says:

Hard to argue on this one.

One thing I don’t like is how we keep aging players on our team. Gill signing was fine (1 year at a decent rate and he plays great with Subba) but Hamrlik? Really? It’s enough we have Spacek for 1 too many years but Hamrlik who’s on the wrong side of 35? I really hope Hamerlik doesn’t re-sign. He did well here the first few years and appreciate his work here but the last year was really hard to watch especially on some nights where he was putting in FAR too many minutes.

We need to MOVE on, use our depth for our depth positions on D and evolve in the new NHL. Stop “patching” holes every year giving away valuable draft picks and then not even look twice to try to re-sign the talent and throw away everything.

• BJ says:

Can’t disagree with that

• petefleet says:

Are those NHL licensed pucks?

***Habs Forever***

• SeriousFan09 says:

Going to be one of those days…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

I am sick of hearing about the 2003 draft, it’s a broken record. It’s great that you can come up with 1 examp[le. There is not an NHL organization that can not look at drafts over the last 10 years and say we could of had this guy instead of that guy. We picked 10th overall a guy who was ranked as high as 5th and described at the time by MacKenzie as having the most talent in the draft. Philadelphia had the 2nd overall pick in 2007 and picked Van Riemsdyke ( a good player but he better be at 2nd overall) and in their 41st pick they got Kevin Marshall ( whoever he is). Our 2 first rounders were MaxP and Ryan McDonough in the 20’s and PK Subban 43rd overall. I think we outdrafted them that year. Players develop differently, some later than others. People got to stop griping about scouts assesessing the talent of 17 and 18 year old kids.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Talik Sanis says:

You are vastly underestimating Kostitsyn’s value, as, often times, we Canadien’s fans do. It is obviously in part a product of seeing so many star NHL players, difference-makers and leaders develop from the 2003 draft, while Kostitsyn has failed to live up to expectations.

It would be ridiculous to argue that we could ever trade Kostitsyn for anything near to what Philadelphia got for either of their two core players, however, Kostitsyn is not a star; he is a legitimate top six forward, who, oftentimes being deployed on our first line, plays against other teams’ top defensive units and still produces better than most other #5-6 forwards.

Maximizing the value of a return for Kostitsyn would require us to move him at an opportune time. For instance, had we moved him at last year’s trade deadline, we could have conceivably received a mid-first round pick for him. Having one more year as a free agent, his value would have been comparable to two other players moved near the deadline, Versteeg and Penner, who both had years left on their contracts. Each was worthy, primarily, of a first round pick in return.

Those two players was comparable to Kostitsyn with respect to production, however, both played in systems that encouraged offense, rather than defense, inflating their numbers. Kostitsyn played under Martin, who’s system stifles our offense as much as it does the opposition’s offense.

Career statistics show that the three players have generally been roughly equal over the years. In terms of points per game, Penner and Kostitsyn are the same, scoring .57 points per contest, while Penner does have a slight advantage in goals per game, to the tune of 2.7 goals a season. Versteeg produces approximately one more point, on average, per season than does Kostitsyn, while scoring the same number of goals.

Kostitsyn is also more physical than either player, going (hits/games) 140/81 last year and 102/59 the year before. Penner was 90/81 and 55/82. Versteeg was 45/80 last year.

Moving Kostitsyn may be a viable option this year as well. For instance, Pittsburgh’s (likely continued) dearth of quality, skilled wingers could make acquiring Kostitsyn an inciting prospect, dependent on the season he is having and their place in the standings. It is likely that his acquisition would require a return of similar value to that received for Versteeg and Penner.

• HardHabits says:

You’re possibly my favourite poster here at HIO. You’re well written and you’re points of view are sound as well as occasionally provocative.

I believe however that you are vastly over estimating Kostitsyn’s value. More so I think you give the Habs too much credit.

The Habs do not IMO have the intestinal fortitude to pull off the types of moves that Philadelphia made. What Philly did was Machiavellian. It was sheer genius. It was bold. It was provocative. It was very anti-Hab-like.

The Habs cannot afford to lose Price and Subban but the Flyers were not only able to let Richards and Carter go, they got richer in the process, and they have resources to fill in the holes left open.

I think the Habs need to start thinking along these lines. This is something that has plagued the Habs organization since 1980. They even said it once. The Canadiens don’t trade legends. No. They let them walk into free agency for nothing.

The Habs are the type of team that trades picks, prospects and players for over-priced, over-aged has beens.

We wonder why we haven’t had more than one top 10 finish in almost 2 decades.

• Talik Sanis says:

Well, thank you.

With respect to my giving the Habs too much credit, I believe that you’ve misunderstood my argument. I apologize for being unclear. In my opinion, we could get more significant returns for Kostitsyn than you think, however I find it unlikely that we will move him for any returns at all, let alone at the opportune moment to maximize those returns.

I began to follow the Canadiens during the 08-09 season. At the time, I couldn’t understand the acquisition of Mathieu Schneider. In my ignorance, it seemed that we had given up something for nothing. At this point in his career Schneider was over the hill and far away. Then came the purges of the 2009 off season and I realized that, in the case of Schneider, it wasn’t just my ignorance that made the deal seem somewhat foolish. While hindsight did make it easy to say, I realized that we should never have wasted assets to get to the playoffs, and, in fact, should have been doing the opposite. We let go of several players, many of whom we had given up very valuable assets to acquire (Tanguay), for nothing.

I understand your opinion with respect to our management and our unwillingness to make difficult moves to improve the team in the long run and, to a degree, I share it. I simply don’t express it with the same flair or vehemence that you do. It is better to move assets, miss the playoffs and get another first round pick, than give up assets, make the playoffs and loose in the first round. For the management, however, it is oftentimes a matter of simply making the playoffs. Of the players acquired to move make the playoffs, only Moore and Wisniewski have seemed like potentially good returns. They were wastes, however, because for whatever reason management did not, or could not, sign them.

Again, this is a matter of hindsight for us now, but think of what we could have gotten in exchange for Wisniewski at the deadline, considering what Kaberle returned to Toronto. Unlike Boston, however, we’ve added players to the team just to make the playoffs, not to push deep into them. It’s unwise to add temporary pieces when you really don’t have a team capable of making it through to the cup anyways.

Some say that we could have beaten Boston if Gorges, Markov and Pacioretty were healthy. This may be true, however the simple fact is that they were not healthy. We knew that our team was hampered by injuries (to Gorges and Markov), and, frankly, unable to make it through the slog of the playoffs, long before the trading deadline arrived. If our team was so badly crippled, we should have acknowledged that fact and acted appropriately.

So, I do understand your complaints about our management and their handling of resources.

If you don’t mind my saying, I also believe I understand what you are doing when you post somewhat inflammatory, even belligerent comments, as you have today (Not to me, of course. You’ve responded in a well reasoned and polite manner to a person who tried his best to extend you the same courtesy). As I see it, it’s not so hard to realize why you argue as you do, or what your purpose is in doing it.

• HardHabits says:

You have basically described what I mean by tanking. People think it’s throwing away the season or playing to lose. It’s not that at all.

The Habs have been all in every season, without ever thinking about building a strong team over the long term. It’s been perpetual mediocrity since ’94. The one team Gainey built up to 3rd over-all imploded the next year and was blown up promptly after that, and as you noted massive returns in terms of draft picks and prospects were not realized, were squandered, for a few play-off home games, an ignoble sweep at the hands of our arch rivals and current champions.

There’s a method to my madness.

19. Morenz7 says:

Look on the bright side folks. With Hammer back in the fold, we’d see a whole lot less of Spatch. Because whatever your pairings, the bottom line is we’d have three defencemen—Yemelin, Weber and Spacek— competing for that sixth spot (plus Diaz waiting in the wings).

Yes, Yemelin effectively has a one-way deal, which would send him back to Rus if the whole experiment goes up the spout. But if he works out to any degree, Spacek gets screwed. Weber at least can fill in up front. Worst-case scenario has Yemelin taking time to find his feet, and sharing starts with Spatches.

If I were Spacek, I’d be trying to find a job in Europe, à la Huet. He doesn’t have to, what with the over-35 contract, but he might be happier that way ..

• Mike D says:

You’re overlooking the fact that we’re still stuck with Spacek’s cap hit regardless of whether he sits in the pressbox, plays in Europe, or gets sent to Hamilton. The only way out of it is via trade, which will be a difficult task, and if PG had to bring Hammer back, I would have preferred he do so AFTER trading Spacek.

– Honestly yours

• Morenz7 says:

Not overlooking it at all, Mike. Accepting his cap hit doesn’t mean they have to play him. The odds are very good that, by Christmas, he’ll basically be insurance against injury. You have to suppose serious regression on the part of Yemelin or Weber to imagine Spacek as a regular in the Canadiens lineup.

• Mike D says:

I hope Spacek isn’t a regular in the line-up, but I honestly fear he will be. If Hamr is brought back, I think he will be a regular too. That’s why I’m against the whole thing. Weber should be given a chance to play regularly and I don’t think he will be.

– Honestly yours

• Morenz7 says:

Oh, I can’t imagine they’d sign Hammer if they didn’t envision him as a regular, but I’d certainly like to see his minutes go down. He was out of gas a lot last year. Still, a rested Hamrlik is infinitely better than Spacek under any circumstances, IMO. At least he’s big and a little dirty.

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

Wow. 6 years for Laich is an awfully long contract. If that’s what it would have taken to get him out of Washington, I’m kinda glad that Montreal never had the opportunity to offer a contract.

Dupuis gets a 2 yr deal worth $1.5m/yr? I’m guessing that’s roughly in the ball park that Talbot will earn as a UFA ($1.75m – $2m). At that price, I’d be a very happy camper to have him on Montreal. I have a feeling he’s exactly the kind of guy who would eat up all the attention and play well above his contract.

• Malreg says:

Dupuis and his 17 goals last year would have had him as the 10th best scorer in free agency on July 1st. That’s how thin the FA list is this year…lol

21. Kooch7800 says:

For those complaining about MAB being signed and us missing the boat he was minus 10 after 23 games. His offense doesn’t outweigh how bad he sucks at defense

• TomNickle says:

That gave up more goals than they scored. Roloson was this years’ Halak.

They won’t be back without significant upgrades on defense and goaltending.

The stamkos signing is the fly in the ointment there. Yzerman has his hands full trying to give Stamkos a contract and not handcuffing that teams payroll for the next 5-8 years.

• Tony McLean says:

Too bad Price wasn’t this year’s Halak. Three year losing streak at home in the playoffs and blew the Bruins series.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

22. j2w4habs25 says:

Pascal Dupuis signed with the Pens again… according from RDS

Carey Price #31

23. pants buzzed

dupuis resigns

24. FLAHABFAN says:

Sean Bergenheim is going to be available on July 1st. I hope PG takes a look at him. I live near Tampa and I see him play on a regular basis. He has incredible energy, something the habs seem to be lacking more often than I would like. Plus, he proved he can score during the Lightning’s conference finals run. He should come pretty cheap though considering he has never put up incredible numbers during the regular season, but he definitely has that potential to burn it up like in the playoffs.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

I also think from the UFAs he’s a good pick for habs, we won’t be going after any of the “star” type, but Bergenheim brings energy with an offensive touch, would fit well in 3rd/4th lines here.

Hardworking, energy guy, that scored 7 goals in playoffs? hell yehh

• Morenz7 says:

Apparently he’s got a somewhat inflated idea of his worth. Yzerman says they’re way apart. If he want $3m per, that’s too much for a third or fourth line winger. I loved him too during the playoffs. $1.5m.

25. SmartDog says:

Does that article say where Pierre McGuire is going?

– Too lazy to read and I need to get some work done.

26. BJ says:

Laich re-signed by Washington.

27. Sharks9 says:

Anyone know much about Etienne Brodeur? Should the Habs sign him? He’s 5 foot 9 which would be a reason not to but I would rather we sign him and see how he does before another team picks him up.

25 before 14

28. BONZOHABS says:

Auld wouldn’t be a bad sign…he was a reliable back up for the rare times he got the call. Would be nice to see Price get more rest during season tho and I think Auld can handle an extra bit of workload successfully. He started 16 games. Got pulled at times, but I think he can start 22-30 games a season. Depending on team in front…Price shoulda been top 3 for Vezina tho! behind Tim Thomas, he had best all round showing. Next would be Rinne. Thomas deserved the Vezina, but I still think he’s a lucky SOB! Go Habs Go!

• SmartDog says:

Let’s hope the league’s lovefest for Luongo has finally ended.

Question du jour: who’s more ridiculously over-rated: Luongo or Fleury?

• TomNickle says:

Fleury, but with a big condition. He stole the Stanley Cup from the Red Wings. So at least he earned a Cup and didn’t choke on the biggest stage. As a pro anyway.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I definitly would have said Fleury until this years playoffs… but now the answer is up for debate.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Luongo is the more over-rated goalie. I like Fleury and think he is mentally a lot tougher than Loo.

But there are a lot of great goalies and who would have thought Miller would have melted down in Buffalo’s final game? I mean, you gotta see that as a meltdown for Miller … who incidentally, mouthed off to the media right before that.

And I have never been sold on Thomas. He really clicked with the Bruins D system this year but he’ll need to do that two or three more times, without losing the start to Rask, before I will eat crow.

• Tony McLean says:

Luongo, no contest. At least Fleury has won. Yes he’s hot and cold but he won.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

29. since1988 says:

I think what’s really being overlooked here is that apparently MAB signed a 2yr extension $1M per with TBay

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    – Mathieu Darche

30. jon514 says:

RDS reports the habs have extended an offer to Hamrlik.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• SmartDog says:

Let’s F-N hope they’re wrong.

Unless he’s coming back for 1.5 million to play in the 3rd pairing, this is a HUGE mistake. There’s not a lot of air left in the tires. I have this image in my mind of Hamrlik standing there with a tired look on his face next to a celebrating goal-scorer… it’s practically a symbol of last year.

• j2w4habs25 says:

i know eh. I’m sure the KHL can use Hammer

Carey Price #31

• jon514 says:

I think you guys are crazy, Hamrlik has been a great player for us!

Now that he’s getting older everyone wants to throw him under a bus. Forget that he’s 37 years old for a minute and recognize that he’s been one of our best +/- players the past four years, has consistently averaged 30+ pts per season and, at 6’2″ has got the kind of size we need on the blue line.

If you look at the guys he’s played with in his career, he makes all of his d-partners better. Case in point is Dion Phaneuf who has never returned to his 50pt ways since being parted from Hamrlik.

If he does what he did last year expect 5-6 goals and 25+ assists while staying on the right side of the +/-. That’s at least worth 2.25M / season.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• agreed

hammer at a discount, who would be crazy enough to complain about that… oh wait nvmnd

• Mike D says:

I don’t think anyone here doesn’t agree that Hammer played well for us and did more than what was realistic for him to cover our injuries. Keep in mind he also got paid a LOT of money to do that. 5.5mil/year is a good salary today and was even better 4 years ago when we signed him. Thing is, his time with us has come.

Look at our roster. Hamr and Spatch are both 37 and Gill is 36. Can you honestly say we need Hamr in addition to the other two? We’re a speedy team yet have 3 older/slow Dmen. Having one is good and Gill would be my pick if we could only keep one, hands down. If we didn’t have Spatch then I could be happy with bringing Hamr back, but unless he’s moved, then this is a mistake.

– Honestly yours

• Tony McLean says:

Amen, some people have a primitive bias based on a personal dislike, not scientific or sensible. He’s done everything asked of him and is pretty damn durable for a geezer! Changed his game and became a Serge Savard-like defenceman, d first. Valuable. If so many goals were scored against us how come you tout Price for Vezina? LOL

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

• 24moreCups says:

I’d much rather Hamr or Spatch any day, if only we could do that it wouldn’t be so bad.

• Kooch7800 says:

oh how we forget….if we didn’t have hammer last year we wouldn’t have made the playoffs. He was one of our integral players through the regular season who was playing way more minutes than he was supposed to due to injuries.

he stunk in the playoffs and I am sure that was due to fatigue.

He will sign for cheap as insurance as we have too many question marks with Yemlin and webber. I personally think Webber is ready but for some reason we don’t ever really play him.

regardless Hammer is good at 6 or 7. Spacek on the other hand just sucks

Washington still has to resign Brouwer among other players, I believe they will also jump in on the Vokoun sweepstakes.

I would now like us to either get Leino for a 2-3 year deal or grab Arnott for a 1 year term and let him play forward with Plex and Cammy.

• JayBee says:

Arnott does not want to play in Montreal.

Leino I think will be looking for big $$. He’s probably going to be the most sought after forward. In addition, I don’t think he’s the right fit.

I’d like Anthony Stewart/Ward & Rupp!!!!

On D…O’Brien

32. mike3131 says:

Sign Auld!!!

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

Here’s the likely scenario.

The Habs won’t sign Wisnieswki. They’ll sign Hamrlik. They won’t trade Spacek. They’ll sign Pyatt, Picard and Pouliot for cheap. No top 6 forward will be signed either. They’ll sign another 5’11” 4th line centre.

Alex Auld will get signed and will start no more than 5 games.

The Habs will finish the season with 98-102 points, good enough for 6th in the East and lose in the 2nd round to the Flyers who go on to win the Cup. PG next summer will talk about the Habs progress.

Then the Habs will trade Plex, Subban, Price, Weber, a 1st round draft pick and a 2nd to the Rangers for Brad Richards.

• TomNickle says:

What time are you taking your meds today? Just want to know when it’s safe to engage in conversation with you.

I could of swore I saw that the Habs didn’t qualify Pyatt Picard and Pouliot. Those sneaky bastages how did you know they would sign as UFA’s!

• JayBee says:

I know you’re joking, but it’s a very real possibility that this team stays the same.

We’ll go into another season without addressing the top 6.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

If the team stays the same then you better hope that a signed Georges and Markov play the entire year and that Cammy does not get hurt.

If that happens and we end up in the same spot as last year, then I will agree the Habs screwed up. But this whole idea that the team is staying the same is only correct insofar as the signings go. Man games played could be far, far different.

Or is that just too rosy and hopeful?

34. habs03 says:

Laich at 4.5 is decent with the cap being so high but 6 years is a lot. Kinda upset tat Kopecky signed with FLA but 4 years is too long also. I’d like to sign Upshall and Cole if term is decent, Upshall would be perfect for our system.

35. JayBee says:

How much do you guys think Wiz is going to get and from where?

I could see him signing for $5.3M over 6 years from either Bruins or Wings.

And if that’s what he wants from PG, then I don’t blame PG for not signing him.

HHOF Eligible List, who’s going in?
    Newly Eligible
    Belfour
    Linden
    Wesley
    Past Eligible
    Andreychuck
    Bure
    Damphousse
    Gilmour
    Housley
    Lindros
    Mogilny
    Nieuwendyk
    Oates
    I quickly looked at list and narrowed, I may have missed an obvious candidate.

37. Garcia129 says:

Does anyone think that Timmy would have anywhere near the numbers he had this year without the Shaved Gorilla playing 27 minutes in front of him?

In Price we Trust

38. SmartDog says:

I can’t see any reason NOT to resign Auld.

Could he have done better last year? Hardly. He played really well most games and won a large majority of them.
    Was he a good teammate? A good mentor to Price? He sure seemed it in every way. Never caused problems, never complained, always supported Pricey.
    Is he cap friendly? Very.
    Does he know the team? The system? Now he does. Anyone else would be on a learning curve.

I just don’t get this one.

39. Mats Naslund says:

The line I would like EVERYONE to read from Hickey’s Gazette piece:

“General manager Pierre Gauthier attempted to trade Pouliot and Pyatt at the draft, but there were no takers.”

So much for letting players go for nothing huh?

• Chuck says:

Depends on what he was asking for them. I guess that he couldn’t get Washington to bite on the Ovie-for-Pyatt deal.

• HardHabits says:

Sounds more like nobody wanted to bite on the Pyatt and Pouliot for a 7th grand theft larceny.

• HalifaxHabs says:

which is weird considering how many people in here, think all of a sudden, that Pouliot could be the 2nd coming.

• Tony McLean says:

Exaggeration suits you. Pouliot could be a regular 25+ goal scorer if he had a decent coach. Then again with a couple of exceptions (Ryder, Damphousse, Richer etc) that IS a Second comingin this post-’79 era. Whoopee.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

40. Malreg says:

Washington has resigned Brooks Laich to a 6 year $27 million deal.

Wow, that’s almost Plekanec money. I wouldn’t have wanted him for that price…

Can’t wait to hear how this is PG’s fault though.

• TomNickle says:

I would give him $5 million over three years. But I wouldn’t touch him for six years. That’s unbelievable term for a guy who hasn’t had a 60 point season and just turned 28 last week.

• Malreg says:

Nowhere near as bad as the Bryzgalov deal though lol.

• TomNickle says:

Don’t be so sure about that. Bryzgalov doesn’t have a lot of miles on his tires. Remember that he toiled in Anaheim for a couple of years before getting a shot. Much like Hasek early in his career. He could be a good elder goalie due to the inactivity early on.

• Malreg says:

I don’t know, there’s something about giving a 31 year old goalie a 9 year contract when that goalie hasn’t won a playoff series since 2003 that doesn’t sit well with me.

Don’t get me wrong, Bryzgalov is by far the best goalie available this year, but he has been mediocre at best the last 2 playoffs for Phoenix. That deal is just as terrible as the Luongo contract.

• TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t compare it to Luongo’s. And Bryzgalov has been terrible in the playoffs, but they had to acquire a good to elite goalie and there’s no way in hell a team in the East was trading them one. Guess they could’ve gone with Bernier or Quick instead of Simmonds or Schenn.

• Mike D says:

Not that far off either.

– Honestly yours

41. Hobie Hansen says:

It a guarantee that Gauthier sat up in his box last year and saw his team get pushed around in scrums, beat up in Boston and knocked off the puck in their own end all night. Guaranteed he was furious that he got caught with his pants down and that he might have overlooked the fact that the new NHL was still as tough and hard hitting as ever.

The thing is that he’s not going to make some knee jerk move and pass over quality players to sign some tough guy who can’t play the game.

I think he’s on the right track. He drafted Tinordi last year, called up White and then acquired Mara to add some toughness for the remainder of the season.

I’m adamant that Gauthier’s best move would be to sign a real tough center to play between White and Moen on the fourth line and put three very capable scoring lines in front of them.

If they elect to put a craftier center on the fourth line then there’s also the option to sign another defenseman to play in the last pairing with Yemelin. No way Spacek dresses and he has to be the 7th defenseman.

Top 6 forward, tough 4th liner and a tough stay at home defenseman and we’re right in the mix with the best teams.

42. TomNickle says:

I’m curious what it would take to get Patrik Elias from the Devils. Lou loves him but he needs to dump a bit of salary. He could probably be had for something like Weber and Pouliot. Just a thought.

• Mike D says:

Elias is a good player but I wouldn’t give up Weber for him. Not for a 35 year old with a 6mil cap hit. That’s just me though.

I’m guessing your thought is to reunite the EGG line.

– Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

It provides options for sure. I think he would work well with Plekanec and Cammalleri too to be honest. Cammalleri could play the right wing and have two elite passers on his left. But Elias can finish too so it’s a line without weakness.

Weber while promising is very unproven and dealing Weber is dealing from a position of strength at this point. If he does figure into the teams’ plans for the future, I don’t see a way that he figures into them in a significant role.

• Mike D says:

If we did get Elias, I think we almost HAVE to reunite the EGG line. It seems wrong not to. Max could work with with Pleks and Cammy, but he seemed to do so well with G&G.

I admit I probably like Weber more than most on this site but I think he has real promise. With at least 2 aging Dmen (3 if we re-sign Hamr) I think Weber is the most NHL ready seeing as he has the most experience and someones’s gonna have to step in here soon. Plus we’re likely losing Wiz, and if Marky, God forbid, gets hurt or can’t play like he used to, Weber is the next best option on the PP with Subban.

– Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

I agree that he has promise and I wouldn’t give him away. I just don’t see a long term future for him with Subban, Gorges, Ellis, Pateryn and Diaz in the mix. Actually, I would be far more comfortable saying that he falls into the category of players that you can move because he has value and not sacrifice the chances of your team being successful by moving him because of the depth you have at that position in the organization.

Now, if he were to be traded today and we needed somebody to fill in come December, it could be a short term problem, so it depends on what you could get back for him or a package that he’s a part of.

• Mike D says:

If we are gonna part ways with Weber at some point, then ‘d rather do so after he increases his value….and I think he could easily do that if we gave him an ample chance to play regularly and on the 2nd PP.

If we traded him now, I fear that whatever we got back for him would look like a bad trade for us in a couple years. I also think it’s a terrible idea to consider trading Weber, but bring Hamr back.

– Honestly yours

43. Curtis O Habs says:

Why would the gazette run a picture of Ryder scoring on Price in an article talking about how good Price is? Is there no file picture of Price making a save? Negative imagery at its finest! Now I have to barf.

44. Old Bald Bird says:

There was some good discussion on the previous thread about losing assets. We lose a lot but some posters went through the situation on a case-by-case basis. Looking at it that way, most make sense. However, I am still a little sad about the number of these losses and the evidence that we don’t seem to maximize our resources. Let’s face it, some players come to us as youth. Some come from other cultures and some come with personal problems. In this day and age, perhaps the organization should begin to move away from the “shape up or ship out” model to one that is a little more forgiving and nurturing.

• G-Man says:

No. You just displayed way too much of your feminine side. “forgiving and nurturing”? This is the NHL, not the Oprah Winfrey show.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that we suffer more misfit losses than other teams. Something needs to change. What that is I don’t know. Do you have any ideas on the subject?

• cboden says:

Agreed. I was just talking to a co-worker about losing Benny like losing SK last year. Yes, SK had personable issues, BUT how is it that NSH could straiten him out and he has a career year on a team that is more defence oriented than us? Why couldn’t we settle him down? “Shape up or ship out” works for some (P.K.) but not all (Benny). It’s going to be a shame to lose so much talent again because management can’t be the bigger man and work with the kid.

• Tony McLean says:

Cuddling we need more cuddling. And blankies.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

45. G-Man says:

Less Pierre McGuire is a good thing. A day to cheer!
    Real drag about Laich. Leino it is. Go for it, PG!

46. jimmy shaker says:

Why hammer? There goes the wiz now too!!!!! MAB and now the wiz. Two D gone in less than an hour. So PG wants more of the same mediocre play from an aging hammer/spacek who don’t do anything outstanding offensively or defensively. Waste of time and money keeping these two guys around while the wiz gets shopped or other younger D get brought in or called up. I’ll take Diaz and weber as the last D pairing….I can live with there mistakes as youngsters, but not more of the same shite from hammer and spacek…….garbage PG just garbage!

Shaker

• JayBee says:

I wonder if an offer was made to Wiz.

And Brooks Laich just re-signed with the Caps. *sigh*

• Chuck says:

With all of the man-games that the D list to injury over the last couple of seasons, Hammer saved our butts, often eating up #1 pairing minutes. Signing him isn’t a bad thing; the bonus will be giving him the minutes that he should be playing: 12-18.

• HardHabits says:

He’d be getting 20+ and you know it.

How anyone could like this move is beyond me. I guess that’s what it means to be a good Habs fan. Just accept all the crappy stupid little tweaking moves while all our opponents build winners around us.

Golf Habs golf!!!

47. rhino514 says:

I agree that Hamrlik is old, but if they are offering him a contract…I see it as good news. It means there is more of a chance that Spacek won´t be a regular in the lineup because It will either be Hamrlik and Spacek or Hamrlik and Yemelin on the third paring. If Yemelin (or possibly Weber) looks good, they will somehow have to “cut ties” with Spacek. I think keeping them both is toom any old guys, but Hamrlik on his own can still help the club.

• JayBee says:

Markov – Gorges
      Subban – Gill
      Hamr – Emelin
      Spacek – Weber

If the Habs don’t want to improve the D, I’d much rather them just give Weber a real shot and see if he can develop as a regular in the lineup.

I’m hoping Spacek is moved….

48. McPhee35 says:

This might be a dumb question but….

Didn’t we sign Karri Romo last year? And didn’t hear tear it up in the KHL? Why wouldn’t he back up Carey this year?

49. jimmy shaker says:

Great…..Stevie Y signed MAB for 2 years at a mill/per. So I guess he won’t be coming back here anytime soon. That sucks, large! Well, looks like PG will have to join the bidding war and go after the wiz.

Markov/Yemelin
    Subban/Wiz
    Gorges/Gill
    Weber

Price/Garon

• Mike D says:

MAB sucks and that’s the truth.

– Honestly yours

• jimmy shaker says:

Get bent buddy!

Shaker

• Mike D says:

Instead of telling me to get bent, why don’t you use your time more constructively and make a real case for why you think MAB is so awesome that you insult a fellow poster who takes a jab at him. It’s not like I took a cheap shot at you.

What the hell would the Habs do with MAB? Do we really need a 4th guy in our stable of Dmen who’s a borderline NHLer?

– Honestly yours

• Garcia129 says:

MAB is a 1 trick pony, and everyone knows it. With the number of D we already have, how could you possible make a case for MAB? Even for 500K. We’d have to get rid of Webber. Then you’d probably bitch and moan about how bad the Habs brass is for letting our kids develop into good pros with other organizations.

In Price we Trust

• avatar_58 says:

….was this ever a question? No one wants him here.

50. JayBee says:

Hamrlik has been offered a contract.

Our back end is slow and old…

Gill, Hamr, Spacek…all old and slow
    Markov…coming off injury

I really hope Spacek is moved because this is not looking good.

51. j2w4habs25 says:

Pierre McGuire leaving TSN is the best hockey news this morning.

Carey Price #31

52. j2w4habs25 says:

Alex Auld did good last year and I think the Habs should give him the job if he wants it. Btw He is from Thunder Bay Ontario ;)

Carey Price #31

53. patience is a virtue says:

“Cut ties”? “Appears doubtful”? Why?

I don’t see it. This is the exact same strategy the Habs took with Pouliot last season. Don’t qualify him so that you can avoid arbitration (where Poo might get $1.5-1.75M), and sign him more affordably – I’m hoping for $1.25M for one year.

Pouliot continues to show potential and managed 30 points (sixth on the team for forwards) while in the JM’s doghouse. He has size and talent and his defensive game is developing.

Might it be that JM and PG came up with this plan mid-season when it became clear that Poo wasn’t going to repeat his winter 2009-10 performance? I can imagine them talking about it – “We need a year to break this guy down and build him back up as a responsible, consistent two-way player. During that time he is staying on the 3rd and 4th line no matter what he does, so his value will stay low and we can resign him cheap.”

• RGM says:

It’s too bad that his talents do not include “self-motivating,” “skating for a 40-second shift without falling down,” and “not hooking people after his feet stop moving.” If he had those three talents, you’d be looking at a guy that isn’t as disposable as he is.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Tony McLean says:

This business of “falling down” smacks of the Broons “diving” BS. Repeat a lie often enough and you may believe it. I don’t.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

• Mike D says:

Hickey’s article says PG tried to shop Pyatt and Pouliot at the draft but had no takers. I honestly can’t believe we couldn’t get a 3rd rounder for Pou or both of them. Hell, even a 5th rounder, just something.

– Honestly yours

• Bugs says:

For what it’s worth, I’m with you.
      But I’ll still gonna wait til he IS re-signed afore believin the team has faith in’m.
      To me, it’s CLEAR that spectacular talent like Poolio’s needs to be developed and polished and carefully maintained, no matter the lack of “hockey smarts” that’s throwin a wrench in the works, so to speak.
      To dump him anyway tells me that perhaps (and I don’t know this) there’s somethin goin on behind the scenes.
      Maybe he SAID sumpin, you know? Like…”You know what? I HATE hockey. I HATE this game. I don’t wanna PLAY anymore.”
      In that case, ok.
      Maybe he cries in fear between periods.
      I mean, I’m not in there, I guess it’s possible.
      Maybe he’s a morphine addict.
      It’s always the people you less suspect.
      Maybe he punched Pierre Gauthier in the face and pizzed on the CH logo of his office rug.
      Yeah, right there, that would do it.
      But other than that, 1mil/yr – 10min/game for 30pts with unattained ceiling…
      Agree. Doesn’t make sense not to re-sign’m on the cheap like that.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• arya13 says:

Honestly after seeing that Patrick O’Sullivan wasn’t qualified by Minny and that he ended the season in the AHL. I would replace Pouliot with him. He’s only 2 years removed from a 50+ and 40+ pt season, where as Pouliot is coming off his highest total ever with 30 points. Pouliot played with a playoff team, although I’ll admit one that did not give the best offensieve support, where as O’Sullivan hasn’t played for a playoff team since LA when he last posted 40+ points.

If you can get him cheaper than Pouliot. I’d grab him. He’s always been over a ppg in the AHL, something Pouliot has never been, has NHL experience, and at this point would be buying very low (for once).

MaxPac will raise 2 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

54. eric says:

I rather have McIntyre in nets for long term duty if Cary got hurt than Auld. He took the dog’s into the playoffs. Give the guy a chance

55. avatar_58 says:

Auld’s a good guy, but for the love of god find someone else. I want a backup that can play 20+ games if he has to

56. RGM says:

I think what happened as far as Carey & the Vezina/Hart voting goes is that most of the voting was conducting while he was having his only real slump of the year. He got pulled a couple times after the team failed to show up in the first period, and all that people saw was the goals against. In earch March there was a ton of talk pumping his tires for both awards, but once that slump happened all of a sudden the dialogue switched over to Timmy as the frontrunner for both. I still think it’s a farce that the majority of the Hart votes were cast in favour of two guys–D. Sedin and St. Louis–that had excellent supporting casts around them and strong arguments could be made that they weren’t even the most valuable guys on their team, let alone that ranking within the context of a 30-team NHL.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Viruk42 says:

You have to remember, the Hart Trophy is a combination of two things: Best player and most valuable to their team. Sometimes the votes will go to players based on the former, sometimes the latter.

Also: awards like this, in every league, are a joke.

• RGM says:

Exactly, and like I said, a very strong argument could be made that two of the three finalists did not meet either of those criteria. Perry was the only guy, in my always-humble opinion, that actually met the criteria because he was the Ducks’ best player and certainly their most valuable. In Vancouver you’ve got Henrik, Kesler, and yes Luongo; in Tampa there’s Lecavalier & Stamkos. The way I look at it, none of those guys are so distinctly head & shoulders better/more valuable than each other – whereas in Montreal, it was CLEARLY Price as MVP/best player. But that’s just me. LOL

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• ManApart says:

Thomas had his name on the Vezina since day one. It was never close for anyone else. Not outside of Montreal anyway.

57. HalifaxHabs says:

really? wow, I wonder what he got

you have a link? confirmation?

58. HalifaxHabs says:

4.5 per year… interesting… he must have truly wanted to stay in Washington. Otherwise his agent would have had him testing the UFA waters for sure.

59. Mike D says:

Yowza! 4.5mil/year for 6 years?! That’s likely more than he would have got as an FA, at least in terms of the length.

– Honestly yours