Ailing Pouliot remains home

We’ll resist the temptation – OK, we won’t resist – to say that Benoit Pouliot didn’t wing to Buffalo with his teammates last night, the Canadiens forward still under the weather with flu-like symptoms.

Carey Price will be in goal tonight when the Canadiens take on the Sabres, taking on Ryan Miller in the home team’s net.

Marc-Antoine Godin of La Presse tweets that only Price, David Desharnais and Alexandre Picard were on the ice at HSBC Center for a very optional Canadiens morning skate.

1. B says:

I did not bring this up out of the blue, I was refuting someone who posted that Gomez was worth at least $6M right now. That just struck me as wrong so I said so. Accepting that we are stuck with Gomez is obvious. Blindly building him up as great just because he is a Hab is wrong IMO. Do you think it adds more to the conversation if we just silently agree to erroneous posts or outrageous claims? That seems to be what you are chastising me for not doing or perhaps you agree with original claim and don’t like that I challenged it?

You implied I should just enjoy the good hockey Gomez provides (rah rah?), but I do when he does so that. My point remains that he does not consistently provide “good hockey” and certainly not $6M or more worth of as was claimed in the post I refuted. Sorry if you don’t want to read that side of the conversation.

2. shiram says:

Well its not like im going Rah Rah for anyone really. But we basically all know he is overpaid, its been said before, and proven with stats and whatnot… My main point is that, it basically serves no purpose with him, as he will not be moved. Plus he’s been playing alot better lately. He has been contributing consistently ever since MaxPac was added to his wing too.

3. B says:

There is nothing hateful about a realistic appraisal of his contribution. Sorry if I am not a blind rah rah cheerleader or someone trying to make it sound like he is worth it (or even $6M) this season, he has not been. Just playing for my favourite team does not instantly make a guy a great player. There is a lot of variation in the quality and contributions of Habs players. I wish they were all super stars, but unfortunately that’s just not how it is. I don’t hate Gomez, I don’t want to see him struggle and I would be thrilled to see him consistently contribute.

4. B says:

You certainly sound like you are defending him. He will never earn his salary here or even $6M of it. Overall, he may be worth $5M a season as a good 2nd line center, but he has not shown even that consistently this season. I hope he can do better because he certainly is not likely to go anywhere else for a while.

Gomez was the 3rd most used forward killing penalties last season (behind Plekanec and Moen) averaging over 2 minutes per game on the PK. This season he is 8th among forwards on the PK averaging only 47 seconds PK time per game. That big drop sure looks like playing himself off the PK to me. If he is not piling up the points this season, then you might expect him to be helping in other ways, like the PK, but he is down on that aspect also this season. When a rookie like Desharnais in his brief appearances can get more PK TOI than Gomez it does say something, something good for Desharnais but at the same time not so much good for veteran Gomez as a contributing PK guy.

5. Jordio-oh says:

I agree.

He’s on our team, so I cheer for him. Its pretty simple. I get frusterated with lack of production sometimes, but that goes for everyone (AK46, Cammy) etc. I like his style of play and the way he carries the pucks and understands the flow of the game. Hating on him or complaining on message boards everyday isn’t going to make him finish the season with 25 more points.

And I’m not blind to poor performances, but I also don’t understand the gains from whining about it everyday.

6. shiram says:

While the slow starting, and salary are in issue with him, he has been playing great lately, good on faceoffs too. The way i see it is you can hate the guy and whatever he does, and wish for a trade that will not come. Or you can look at what he is doing now and enjoy the good hockey he provides.

He’s a Habs, and will be for a while now still, decrying his performance may be cathartic, but it really doesnt bring much to the conversation.

7. Jordio-oh says:

While your facts are correct, you have a very convenient way of arranging them.

- Yes Desharnais averages more PK TOI/G than Gomez. But only by 3 seconds per game, and the fact that Desharnais has only played a total of 5:53 on the PK in the whole season provides too small of a sample to draw from. It doesn’t suggest Desharnais is a better PK guy than Gomez and it doesn’t suggest Gomez ’played himself off the PK’ because he never really was considered a big PK guy for us. Those guys have always been pleks, halpern, pyatt, moen, and gionta.

- Gomez’s team worst +/- might also be attributed to the fact that he’s getting alot more of his points on the power play, instead of even strength. Gomez was -8 in December, but also had 7 ppp’s. Thats not a coincidence. So while you highlighted his team worse +/-, you didn’t mention that he’s also helped jump start our power play into the respectable ranks in the league in the last 4-5 weeks.

- In his last 20 games, he has 16 points and is shooting alot more than he was before. Now, I’m not defending him as a 6 mill guy, but he’s a notorious slow starter.

8. habs001 says:

would be nice to get the next two road wins and that would put us over 500 on the road..right now we are about 19th on the road..

9. B says:

6 million mark? 1 assist in his last 4 games? Or are you going back to when he woke up Dec 15th and went on a 8 point in 5 game spurt that accounts for over a third of his points this season? Kostitsyn had an 8 point in 5 game spurt this season too, does than make him a six million dollar man too? I don’t think so. Gomez is having a poor overall season so far that has been plagued with inconsistent and frequently indifferent play. He has the teams worst +/- and played himself off of the PK this season. Desharnais averages more PK TOI/G than Gomez. Actually, Desharnais has even averaged more points per minute played this season than your “great” Gomez. Ouch!

10. StevieRay says:

Since we already have a a great ” young ” goalie I’d go with Gomez . Maybe a better question would be Gomez vs Iggy.. I’ll take Iggy !
    Last nite was a great charcter building comback win ! When Price went in you could senese the confidence the team showed .
    Let’s hope for another win tonite .

I stand by my statement and the figure I suggest. People who talk about DD replacing Gomez are even more lost than those who think Hapern can fill his shoes. We saw what happened when Gomez was injured. Plex, Gomez, Gionta and Cammy are the forwards leadership core. I thought Gionta was over-priced at 5 million and certainly thought Cammy was too at 6 million. Not any more. Thankfully the Habs signed Plex long-term at 5 million per year. That’s the team until 13/14. Take it or leave it. Is Gomez worth 5-6 million? Yes! Take last nights goal for example. That was as much Gomez if not more even than PK. It’s why I always liked Lemaire so much more than Lafleur. Lafleur got all the glory but Lemaire was responsible for many of Lafleur’s goals anyways by being the primary assist on them. Plus Lemaire was not just scoring the goals but scoring them in a big way. Gomez is a bit Lemairesque. Gomez (and Gionta for that matter) can also skate circles around Desharnais. DD has a lot of work to do on this area of his play and no way DD offers what Gomez brings in terms of hard nosed work ethic. Night and day really. DD’s play is commendable and he’s got great potential for a little guy. No comparison to Gomez though.

12. fbkj says:

“offrent aussi le même élément de robustesse”

*spitscoffeealloverkeyboard*

13. OneTimer says:

nice post Mr. HH

14. Mark C says:

Gomez and it isn’t close. Kipper as had one season since 2006-07 where his SV% has been above .910%, and he hasn’t been above .920% since 2005-06 (was .920% last season). In three of his last four seasons his SV% has ranged from mediocre at best to poor. At least Gomez adds value to his team, where Kipper is bordering on hurting his team’s chances to win each night.

15. StevieRay says:

I would suggest that Gomez was 50 feet away from the goal ..in the middle of the else..and challenged ..meanwhile PK was wide open on the wing … you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out or a 7 million dolar man to figure out what to do …

Muchly overrated he is ..

16. savethepuck says:

I don’t care if we have 20 -isov’s if it means we get our 25th Cup.

Gomez is a great athlete. He skates at top speed, he’s durable, and he thinks as fast as the game is played.

His play of late has put him in the 6 million mark. So what’s a paltry 1.4 million when the Habs have steals like Price and Halpern, not too mention utility players like Darche and all the kids, to compensate?

I’ve no complaints with Gomez as a Hab, notwithstanding his cap hit. To me it’s part of the mathematics of putting together a team into today’s NHL.

Scott is a team player through and through, and with his skill level, he’s a great asset to have.

18. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Not asking you to forgive or anything bud – You’re pretty cool and I like your posts.

Just thought that the Halak comment was a tad unfair.

We’re cool though ;) Go Habs!

19. Mark C says:

Maybe most important thing is the Wiz can play now, unlike MAB. Montreal badly needed another able body on D, in Montreal’s last ten before adding the Wiz the team was 2-8, Montreal is 6-2-1 the games the Wiz has played in since.

20. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Kipper has a horrible contract.

Gomez is overpaid but he can but put 40+ assists every season. Not to mention that he’s a playoff performer. So he already beats out Thornton in that category haha. Kipper has lost his touch over the years and I’d rather have a young netminder with higher potential than Miikka.

21. joshua94k says:

Poll of the day: Who would you rather have, Scott Gomez at $8 million or Flames goalie Kiprusoff at $7 million.

Scott Gomez was 12-3 on face-offs last night and set -up the overtime winner perfectly. His game has elevated and he has ignited the powerplay.

Mike Cammalleri scored a beautiful goal like only a goal scorer can. He is getting back on track.

P.K. Subban logged close to 30 minutes and scored the game winner. An amazing player. (If Crosby or Ovechkin cheer after scoring, it is considered good promotion of the game, if a young Subban gets excited he is arrogant ??????)

Darche puts in a complete nights work as usual.

Kostitsyn is playing the way he can.

This team is putting all the pieces together. A great win considering they were without Price, Markov, Gorges, Pouliot and Wisniewski at 50%.

22. twocents says:

Except he’s a forward.

I was mocking those who whinged about what we got for Lappierre.

23. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, ol’ Bertie’s a real pill.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Like!

Hilarious. Bertrand Raymond, in this article, is comparing MAB to the Wiz and is saying that the Habs could’ve had MAB for free and Wiz cost a 2nd and a 5th. Yes Wiz is younger but only 1 inch taller however, BR argues, the Wiz costs more $$$ than MAB and that the difference between the two player’s play is not substantial. I am still laughing after have read the article. I think good old BR is more concerned with the difference between a name that ends with an -ewski as opposed to a name that ends with a -geron.

26. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but in 34 games he has 10 points and (more importantly for a defenceman) 8 blocked shots.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. Mattyleg says:

(I think you can change your signature. 14pts over 10 of last 16 games.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

C’mon bro – gotta be more fair than that.

Halak was a class act in Montreal and played when asked and sat on the bench when asked to do so. Only reason he demanded a trade was when he played only 3 games over a long stretch.

He has the right to do so. He’s a goalie and he wants to play, what’s wrong about that?

Anyone else would’ve done same in his spot.

It’s just plain bad luck that his team is injury plagued and cannot catch a break.

But they’ll bounce back next year. I wish Halak all the best. I will never forget what he brought to this club last spring. Class act. Like I said before.

29. twocents says:

Oh my god the Trashers just traded Ben Eager and all they got was a fifth rounder. You’d think a well run organization like that could have gotten more. I mean this guy once scored 11 goals…

30. likehoy says:

it has to be the “dirtiest” thing to happen in NHL management since kevin lowe put in that offer sheet for dustin penner.

I’m waiting for Davidson to make a guest appearance on after 40 minutes on CBC to tell everyone how pissed he is at other GMs around the league

maybe he’ll sign glen metropolit and someone can claim him off waivers too :P

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

31. Mark C says:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Sharks were pressured by the San Jose Department of Commerce to claim Wellwood?

I hear the restaurant business is currently weak in California.

32. avatar_58 says:

Yeah some dirty pool going on there.

33. mike g says:

Anyone see whats happening with the Blues….??

They lost Perron, Macdonald and Oshie for long periods. Oshie is back in a aweek, but the other 2 seem to be having terrible concussion issues. Most likely out for the season.

So 2 weeks ago, they sign Svatos who then had to clear waivers. But, he never made it to STL as he was claimed by NSH.

Now, they signed Kyle Wellwood, and he too was claimed on waivers by SJ.

I find it really weird that those 2 players were never signed, but when a team tried to get them, they were taken away by another team who could’ve just signed him in the 1st place.

Are they just traying to hinder the Blues by not allowing them to improve their group of forwards, or is there bad blood between the front offices of those franchises?

All I know is that if I was a Blues exec, I’d be fuming…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. shiram says:

Unless your glass is in a vacuum, it is always full…
    But yea the team looks like they did at the start of the season, when they we’re first in the division.

35. savethepuck says:

This team is not doing a very good job at tanking this season for the rebuild that a large number of the population were asking for on here when it was announced that Gorges was out for the season.  6-1-1 in the last 8, back in 6th and 2 pts out of 2nd.  Team has come back nicely since the losing skid. Glad I’m always a glass half full guy.

36. shiram says:

How about a win today for our Captain, who is celebrating is his 32nd birthday.

Hat trick would be a nice gift!

37. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Anyone else notice that Carey is CONSISTENTLY at the optional practices, as well as early for regular practices?

He’s really become very professional in his approach to putting in the work needed to be a leader and a great goalie.

Far more mature than i was at 22.

38. Malreg says:

He has shown great dedication every since the 2nd half of last year.

If goalies want to improve they have no choice but to get on the ice early before practice, because that is the only time the goalie coach can work with them.  During practice they are too busy taking shots in drills.

You know what the crazy thing is. As of late I’ve been noticing, and it came to dawn on me glaringly last night, Price is now becoming a leader on the team. How many people felt a lack of confidence when Price replaced Auld last night? Not me that’s for sure. He’s grabbing the team by the horns little by little. Slowly but surely he’s stepping into the role BG envisioned for him.

40. mike g says:

LOL…

Anyone watch the pre-game on RDS last night?

I’m pretty sure the show is called Hockey 360. Anyways, they interviewed Lats in Minny, and OMG I couldn’t stop laughing.

Did you guys see the size of his face??!!

The guy looks like he gained 30 lbs!

And then he wonders why people questionned his dedication to fitness and his work ethic. One summer/season on injuries and surgeries, and BOOM. 30 lbs extra….

Markov busted his knees and ankles and still managed to keep the weight off.

So, no more “p’ti Guy”. Now it’s “Le Gros Guy”….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. Mattyleg says:

Guimauve.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. SeriousFan09 says:

I saw a picture online, it’s official, Guimauve is the Quebecois version of Kyle Wellwood.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

43. shiram says:

His agent said he’d play if he is healthy, and would not boycott it.

44. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Almost as bad as the whiny crap you post here.

45. Malreg says:

I love it when random journalists use the term “Source from within the (name team)”.

The real story:

Brendan Shanahan says Sidney Crosby called him yesterday to assure him, if he’s physically able to play, he intends on taking part in All Star weekend in Raleigh, North Carolina.

“He couldn’t have been more co-operative,” Shanahan told TSN.”

46. RJB says:

Dave Shoalts said that it was his opinion on Crosby, Crosby never once said that he was not going to participate.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

47. secretdragonfly says:

Excellent decision and I hope the other Canadian teams follow suit, if they are asked.  Let Bettman send some sunbelt teams if he’s so supportive of them.

48. Mattyleg says:

I heard that the Calgary Flames turned down an offer to open their season in Europe/Russia.

Is that true? If so: good on yez, Flamers!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. Kooch7800 says:

They did.  I agree wth them. That is lost revenue playing over there when they sell out here.  Their fans are here why would they play there

50. jimmy shaker says:

I had planned on it, as it’s only 3 hour drive from here in Windsor, but the wife and I used the money on a big screen telly with the PVR, so I thought it was a good trade off.  I’m workin her for a playoff game though.  Have fun!  Say hi to Lindsey RUFFFFF for me!

Shaker

51. Matt_in_TO says:

Anyone from SW Ontario going to the game tonight?

- In Price We Trust

52. Dave Stubbs says:

Today isn’t really an optional “practice.” It’s a game-morning skate, optional on-ice only because the team played last night. The night’s starting goalie will be on the ice for the morning skate, without fail.

This isn’t a knock on Price; his practice effort and worth ethic this season have been exemplary. Just clarifying a player’s participation in these things.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

53. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sorry, you require a education above the third grade to understand that word.  Guess you’re SOL

54. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Thanks for the clarification.

It’s true we don’t completely know the “rules” that Carey follows such as going out for the optional on-ice gameday skate.

Still. Based on how often i’ve ready the words “optional” or being “on the ice early” followed by Carey’s name on the list, I’m taking it as an overall good sign.

55. HabsFanNorway says:

Because some of us live in Europe. My wallet would love the Canadiens to open here, but my heart want them to play all their games at the Bell Center. The way the NHL is today all points are important. Therfore the more games at the Bell the better! But man I would like them to play some games in the Scandinavian countries. That would be one hell of a road trip :)

56. Kooch7800 says:

I hear you and I know there are lots of fans in Europe.  The only major issue is the travel time and with the standings being so tight you are at a disadvantage from jet lag etc.  They should do a couple of games for teams who didn’t make the playoffs to go over.  That would make more sense

57. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, a mini-tournament for the playoff castaways. The team finishing in last place in each division has to play the most games! In Siberia! That way, there’s an incentive to NOT tank for the draft-pick.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. Kooch7800 says:

lol. I would prefer that to regular season games over there.  Those teams get s*rewed by doing that

What’s the sound of one troll bitch-slapping another?

60. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream.

61. FrederictonHabsfan says:

The team really did seem to settle down when he came in. I’m sure some of that is just from the change, but compared to last year, when everyone seemed to be waiting for something bad to happen when Carey was in net, I think we’ve coem a long way.

62. RGM says:

To say that I would be shocked if Auld was in net tonight would be the understatement of the young year.

63. savethepuck says:

Probably the easiest W Carey will ever get ( 4 saves ) put him back in the league lead

64. JIMVINNY says:

Really unfortunate for the guy.  Has a few pretty good games, looks like he’s getting into a groove, and then he gets sick, and because of that, has to distance himself from the team.  Sucks to be him.

65. Kooch7800 says:

will be a tight game tonight.  Buffalo is playing better.  Hopefully Pouliot is back soon. He was playing really well.

Nice to see Cammy finally pot one last night. Hopefully that will fire him up for a bit

66. Kooch7800 says:

Syd sounds like he will skip the All Star game.  Good for him.  The game is useless and it sends a nice message back to the NHL from the players.

I am not sure if the hit on Crosby was intentional that put him out but it was a hit to the head.

The league needs to make the all star game mean something ie playing for home ice in the stanely cup.  if not scrap the whole idea.  Same with these stupid games in Europe. I understand they are showcasing the NHL but still I feel bad for the players