Agent Larionov says Galchenyuk and family wouldn’t accept his advice

SUNRISE, Fla. — It was one of those good news, bad news days for Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.

On the plus side, Bergevin’s status as one of the savviest GMs in the National Hockey League was recognized Monday when he was named to the management committee for the Canadian team that will compete in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

But Bergevin also had to deal with the news that restricted free-agent Alex Galchenyuk has parted ways with longtime agent Igor Larionov. The Hockey Hall of Famer has represented Galchenyuk since he was playing junior with the Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting.

A report early Monday noted that Galchenyuk had fired agent Ian Pulver, the NHL Players Association executive who is Larionov’s partner in The Wills Sports Group.

“He didn’t fire me, he fired a Hall of Famer,” Pulver said from his office in Toronto.

Larionov said the breakup came down to a matter of Galchenyuk and his family not accepting his advice.

“Ian and I were trying to help him to become a good hockey player but, more importantly, to be a good human being,” Larionov said. “I would speak to him every day; I think I spent more time talking to him than talking to my wife.”

“I tried to make him understand that he has to be patient,” Larionov said. “I had to wait when I was a young player; every great player has a time when he’s going to be on the bench, but you have to learn that’s part of the game.”

Galchenyuk is one of the few unsigned players on the Canadiens roster and negotiations with the 21-year-old are on hold until he finds a new agent.

“I hope things work out because the Canadiens are a great organization and all the Russian players who go there really enjoy playing there,” Larionov said.

Galchenyuk is coming off an entry-level deal that paid him $925,000 a season. As a restricted free agent with no arbitration rights, he is not in a great bargaining position. Galchenyuk is due a raise after scoring 20 goals last season, but Bergevin is limited because he has about $4.5 million in cap space and must sign Galchenyuk and at least one other forward.

Richard Labbé of La Presse reported that the Canadiens have offered forward Michael Bournival a qualifying offer of a one-year, two-way contract. Bournival played 29 games last season with the Canadiens, posting 3-2-5 totals. In 12 games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, he had 3-9-12 totals. His season ended when he suffered a concussion.

Meanwhile, Hockey Canada announced Monday that Bergevin will act as an assistant to Team Canada GM Doug Armstrong of the St. Louis Blues. Other assistants on the Team Canada management team will be Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings and Rob Blake of the Los Angeles Kings.

“These are some of the most respected and successful men in hockey, and we could not be more excited for them to lead Team Canada into the 2016 World Cup of Hockey,” said Tom Renney, the president and chief executive officer of Hockey Canada. “There is a lot of work to be done between now and Sept. 17, 2016, and as a staff we look forward to working with the management group as we look toward a second consecutive World Cup championship for Team Canada.”

1. habcertain says:

@burl, is it possible that Hickey thinks the cat is out of the bag now with Larionov’s comments, so he is free to speak about it?
    Also, it may be possible that Chucky’s frustration is more about meaningful minutes versus total minutes. To sit and watch DD squander PP, and Max/Galley time, could be a little frustrating. But 20 goals is easier for MB to negotiate a contract on, versus, say, 30 goals. Just saying, MB has boxed himself in nicely against the cap and will need to get creative. Let’s see how the next few months pan out. Now he has to earn the Team Canada accolade!

2. 70s_habsfan says:

Not surprised. …and I would think he won’t overpay as there are Ufa goalies.

Oilers GM Chiarelli hoping to add goalie prior to NHL draft
    (via )

3. 70s_habsfan says:

Will the rangers get too greedy and teams will turn to Vancouver, Ottawa or Ufa goalies

Report: Rangers turned down pair of 2nd-round draft picks for Cam Talbot
    (via )

4. Habfan17 says:

So, the Coyotes are $16 million under the cap floor with really only Boedker as a meaningful RFA to resign. They traded away Vermette, and could sign him again as an RFA. But, let’s say, the Habs were to trade DD, PAP, Bournival, Thomas, Nygren and Tinordi for the Coyotes first and 2nd round picks this season, and Boedker. Arizona gets some players to fill out the roster and get to the cap floor. PAP would be gone after this season, when hopefully they settle their arena issues. Tinordi is to compensate Arizona to take PAP. The Habs could add Fucale if need be. Then the Habs have the 3rd overall, 26th and 33rd picks. They also now have room to sign a free agent and can move Pleks to the top line and Galchenyuk to centre on the 2nd line. It also leaves an opportunity for players like Carr and Hudon a chance to make the team. Losing Tinordi would hurt, but, in the end, they would have to give something of value and with the lack of depth, he and DD would help them. Bournival could at least play left wing on the 3rd line as could Thomas. PAp could play on their 2nd for this season and Nygren would give them a right handed PP depth defenceman. Just a note, the Coyotes would still have the 30th pick obtained from Chicago for Vermette.

• trade_centre says:

If they reject that offer maybe we could sweeten the pot by adding Morgan Ellis and the rights to Sergei Perezhogin.

• Habfan10912 says:

I love the way you dream Steve. 🙂

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don Maloney would have to be arrested, fired or institutionalized if that ever came to be.

• Habfan17 says:

How about Tinordi, DD, PAP and Bournival for the 30th pick and the Coyotes 2nd rounder?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I wouldn’t trade Jarred for essentially two second-rounders. I know we’re getting impatient, but he was always seen as a project, the big defenceman who needs time to get his game in order.

He had trouble when he played with the Canadiens with his decision-making and puck-handling, but Stéphan Lebeau said he was “dominant” in the AHL, that it made a huge difference when he was in the lineup compared to when he wasn’t. So he’s close.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple seasons from now he’s on the left side with P.K. on the first pairing, that he be the stay-at-home guy while P.K. roams wild and free, that he protects Carey and clears the crease, blocks shots, etc. When he has the puck, he just feeds it to his right to P.K. and lets him start the play. Skillsets that mesh well, complement each other.

Jarred is still the very mature kid with leadership ability that we traded up to draft, we shouldn’t abandon ship when we’re so close to port.

5. Marc10 says:

MB and Brisson are on good terms I believe. Brisson got a good deal for DD back in the day. I would expect this one gets done quick.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly. I was worried for about 12 hours, that this could go sideways, but Alex got a very competent, professional agent, so I’m all good now.

• Habfan10912 says:

Is it possible Bergevin whispered into someone’s ear here?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I took the flap as being the agents Ian Pulver and Igor Larionov preaching patience, telling him to pay his dues, take a bridge contract and reap greater rewards later, and Alex, with the impetuousness of youth, choosing to go another way.

In my estimation, the agents were playing along with the Canadiens’ scenario, so Marc Bergevin wouldn’t have gained much by getting the player to switch agents. He and they were working off the same script. It’s not like he was facing off against Mark Gandler.

I’m not sure how much Pat Brisson will differ from Alex’s former agents’ approach, so not sure what he’ll gain if anything, but he’s top-notch, so I don’t think it’s a decision he’ll regret.

• on2ndthought says:

no, Brisson will get full value for Alex; maybe Pulver would not have. and remember, MB is shrewd, but he rewards those who perform, so I predict a bridge (yeah, clinging to the trunk, I know); because AG has been OK, but hasn’t really busted out yet.

“a cannonading drive”

6. Slack says:

Ozmo, below,

I don’t think throwing Hudon or Ghetto, sink or swim, into DD’s role would be very wise. Even DD wasn’t merely given his spot… he earned it.

Galchenyuk, I think, is very close. If he can hit a good stride and remain reasonably consistent, I don’t see any reason for him to not keep his spot at center.

As for the UFAs…

Snarky response: Vermette? Personally, I wouldn’t go after Vermette. Plus, isn’t he way too Quebecois for his own good?
    He might unjustly usurp Price as the starting goalie because mgmt loves them a french speaking player…..

Non snarky response: wouldn’t Soderberg be a better option?

Cheers bud.
    “I never met a girl I didn’t meet.
    -Daniel Johnston

• Marc10 says:

No centre simply gets replaced by a kid out of junior/AHL overnight. It takes a bit of time. Look at De La Rose. He didn’t embarrass himself, but he also didn’t light the league on fire. It really doesn’t make sense to suggest some minor leaguer just shows up, starts winning faceoffs and plays a 200 foot game. That’s like grabbing a coach without NHL experience and saying: “OK kid. Go ahead and coach the Montreal Canadiens.” We’ve seen that movie before. Best to let the kids earn their way.

I’m a Soderberg fan. He’s not a number one centre, but he’s big, skates, puts up his points 5 on 5. Plus he’s a Swede. They play a great positional game. Sadly, I see him going to Edmonton unless MB flips a centre for a wing and then goes after him.

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Set phasers to ‘Tizzy’:

Coach Bartley @CoachBartley

@Buccigross odds on the Bs moving Lucic? See any likely destinations?

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 57m57 minutes ago

I think the Bruins will trade him to @VanCanucks for a Dman

There’s only one rule that I know of, babies-God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.–Kurt Vonnegut

8. Forum Dog says:

Doesn’t mention Galchenyuk by name, but the Oilers do have Yakupov in the fold and a good coach coming in. Given the current context, if they were to table an offer, Galchenyuk might be willing to listen.

• trade_centre says:

I think the last think the Oilers need is another still young top drafted forward.

• Forum Dog says:

That would be the conventional wisdom, yes. But man, would they ever own a lot of cheap young superstars. Just like the good ol’ days…

• Habfan17 says:

Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, rather than have the Oilers make an offer sheet, if they think Galchenyuk would do well with the Nail and Bergevin was being serious about Gal27 not being a centre, would you trade Galchenyuk for Draisaitl and Edm 2nd round pick? I added the pick to make up for the fact that Gal27 has already played 3 seasons and Draisaitl is not ready yet, so Edm knows Gal27 is an NHL player and there is still a bit of risk with Draisaitl. If some think that is a bit much, Montreal could add a 3rd round pick next season.

9. Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t know if this article got lost in the shuffle, it’s a couple days old, but a good look back on Rod Langway.

I always hated that trade, from the moment it was announced, if only because he just looked so much like Larry Robinson, with the mustache and the big gangly physique.

His ‘fight’ against Nordiques flash-in-the-pan Dave Pichette, with the latter slowly backpedaling and shadowboxing, and Rod advancing with a mocking grin on his face, is one of the highlights of my youth.

• Da Hema says:

While Rick Green and Ryan Walter, the Habs’ return on Langway and Engblom, had distinguished careers with the Canadiens, it nonetheless was yet another Grundman error. I will say this, though: while Langway was a fine defenceman, the two Norris trophies he secured should have asterisks beside them. I remain convinced the media selected Langway as the “best overall defenceman” to stick it to the Canadiens as an organization. Langway made Petr Svoboda’s grandma-ish “slap shot” look like Al McInnis’ by comparison. Any one of Robinson, Potvin, or Salming were better by almost any comparable measure during the years Langway won those trophies.

10. HabFab says:

Did I miss it or is there no Draft Hockey News this year?

11. Un Canadien errant says:

The hosts on TSN 1040 Vancouver are listing the candidates in line for the WHL Vancouver Giants’ head coaching job, with Dalton Thrower-nemesis Lorne Molleken being one, and former Toronto-darling Dallas Eakins another. Blake Price noted that Dallas Eakins had never coached in junior, to which Jeff Patterson replied:

“Well, Lars Eller might disagree…”

Cool non-obvious out-of-market reference from a couple years ago from the Vancouver broadcaster.

12. hattrick99 says:

Yankees will win the AL east …BOOK IT…….#blue jays are a joke so is every Toronto sports team.

13. Slack says:

Drivel. The word you are looking for is drivel.

Dribble is what you do with a basketball.

I would’ve clarified this earlier but I was busy.

14. habcertain says:

Hey Dog, it is always about the money, as it should be.

15. habcertain says:

Cal, Hickey was not writing a blog, he is not a blogger, he is a reporter. I believe that is the given when reading his work, I think if he was offering an opinion, it would have been stated as such.

Maybe Mr. Hickey can interject here, of course he would have to be a bored as us, and he is in Florida.

It just seemed very unclear to me who is saying this, and how much of a direct quote it was or an implied statement or how he extrapolated the quotes to mean.

End of the day it won’t be a big deal, as I think Brisson and MB will get a deal done rather quickly.

16. habcertain says:

@jackal.. The Habs have, and will always, draft, trade, or give try outs to local talent. They will look for ways to carry some local boys for all the same reasons as selecting coaches/GMs. It is, what it is , my friend.

• J_P says:

Well said.

I mean, I don’t think anyone can say that Therrien was the most qualified/best coach available when the habs hired him. There is definitely a french component there, and that is fact.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t disagree that the Canadiens actively recruit local talent, French-speaking players to assure there is a connection to the fans.

I’m stumped though as to who was the candidate at the time who was so much more qualified than Michel Therrien who was passed over? We had a discussion recently on this, and the name of Jon Cooper was brought up, but nobody on HIO knew that name at the time, he was completely off the radar. To say that he was better-qualified at the time would be stretching it, since he didn’t have NHL experience. At best, he would have been one of the dozens of dark horses at the time, along with washouts like Dallas Eakins and Ron Rolston.

• dduncan says:

Crawford was a candidate but MT was the better choice. My choice for head coach was Mike Keenan because he’s won at every level. He wins 47 at Calgary, loses in the first round, gets fired, and Calgary never reaches that peak again. My choice for assistant was Larry Robinson.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You and me both brother. I wanted Patrick Roy, with assistants Larry Robinson and Guy Carbonneau. And the ghost of Eddie Palchak.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

It’s obvious the organization prefers people and or players who speak French you simply cannot deny it. It’s fine adding local talent to management or rosters, they just have to be quality…

Right now the French speaking players on the habs are quite frankly, some of the worst players on the team. One of which is a roadblock down the middle… I’ll say no more.

• Marek says:

I’ll assume you are talking about DD….he is far from one of the worst players on the team, c’mon now, just because you hate how he is used doesn’t make him a terrible player.

• Slack says:

Local talent is important to any sports franchise. The language they speak bears very little importance. Where they are from does. DD is a great player. And if you’re going to say that DD is a roadblock, please offer an alternative, without disrupting the balance or chemistry of the team.

*EDIT: hit the wrong reply button. This was meant in reply to Mr. Ukrainian stinky pants up there.
          “I never met a girl I didn’t meet.
          -Daniel Johnston

• Ozmodiar says:

“The language they speak bears very little importance.”
            – tell that to TVA and RDS.

“DD is a great player.”
            – 😆

“please offer an alternative, without disrupting the balance or chemistry of the team.”
            – galchenyuk, or, younger and cheaper options such as Hudon, Ghetto. or FA option such as Vermette. not hard to replace a player that many see as untradeable (or difficult to trade).

• Lapointe says:

I somehow doubt the players prefer French for communicating….or care about the language spoken. That simply is the politics of Montreal. The team is far away from the glorious days of the Flying Frenchmen….as far as the fans go we probably would prefer a Stanley Cup above a language issue for discussion on here. It’s been 23 years and counting. Unfortunately it looks as though this streak will continue for awhile longer yet? As much as many here think MB is the Great GM like no other really his record so far is not much different than his predecessors with the exception of the Ghost. I remember when everyone condemned The Ghost for not allowing any news to leak out and now everyone applauds MB for the same. Interesting to say the least.

• trade_centre says:

Well, the Habs two biggest draft-day blunders of all time were not picking Denis Savard and Mike Bossy. And in recent years Claude Giroux.

So you’re wrong there.

• on2ndthought says:

anyway, every NHL or pro sport team wants local kids to do well; but none of them, including the Habs, will pick an inferior local kid over a superior outlander if they are aware of the discrepancy. Doug Wickenheiser would be our first pick this year if he was available. Some kid who won’t get drafted in 7 rounds this year is likely to have a better NHL career than DW did.

“a cannonading drive”

17. mdp2011 says:

It’s official.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris · 2m2 minutes ago
    Pat Brisson is now representing Alex Galchenyuk. Contract talks with the #habs can resume.

18. The Jackal says:

@Burly – comment was tongue in cheek but yes, it is disappointing to see that idea floating around. The team doesn’t just add local players for the hell of it or regardless of their skill level. PAP had a bad season last year but was injured and he should get a chance to show that he can contribute. He’s talented enough. So is DD, so is Mitchell, so is Bourni, etc. Management doesn’t add those players just to have local flavour on the team. And they’ve shown that if they prove to be a drag, that will be addressed.

I think otherwise, it’s okay to disagree.

• Lapointe says:

Jackal where do you get the facts or stats to imply PAP is talented enough to do the contributing as he moves up the age rung. He has never been a big goal scorer in his career in the NHL. Even in junior he only had one year I believe of good offensive stats. He doesn’t check…he doesn’t back check….he avoids any contact…he is a year older and you can project him as having some year of making a solid contribution. Where is he going to pull the production talent from that he never had in the first place. It baffles me sometimes.

• on2ndthought says:

PA absolutely has real skills: very good at reading the play, putting himself in position to compete for pucks. He just hasn’t won many of those competitions that I’ve seen. If he does in his last year of his contract, I might consider signing him to a one year contract if Sherbak is not deemed ready. I just don’t expect either eventuality to materialize.

“a cannonading drive”

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe Larianov should keep his comments to himself? Don’t see how this “public-airing” does anything to help him get and/or keep clients. Just saying…

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed. And some of the comments are head-scratchers. Larionov had to be patient? The guy was a national hero by the time he was 20….

• on2ndthought says:

Yeah, centering the KLM line. However; he did have to plan and execute his own big first payday very carefully;it took four years to get by the Soviet apparatus AND, even more impressively, Viktor Tikhonov.

“a cannonading drive”

20. habcertain says:

@cal, Hickey has never struck me as a reporter looking to sensualize a story, it’s ok to accept facts as they lie, no need to crucify the messenger. After all the sounds bytes we have been hearing, this all sounds very realistic.

• Cal says:

It’s vague commentary in what is supposed to be a fact-based report. Sounding “realistic” has nothing to do with it. IF the article had this somewhere in the title:”Commentary by Pat Hickey,” it would have been acceptable. We would have known he was offering opinion and not facts.

Too many blogs do the same thing. They offer opinion, not fact. It’s a big difference and worth noting.

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe:

22. trade_centre says:

It’s Tuesday Controversy Time.

Would you trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau straight up?

They are both number three picks and have almost identical records to date: 113 pts in 196 games versus 104 in 193. Only 7 months different in age.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

for me, no.

For Forsberg? Maybe another comparible, hmm I think I might. Ah too hard.

Very good question. I do think Galchenyuk has the higher upside in talent, but in the present roster make up Huberdeau very quickly solves a bunch of problems. Clears up our quota, and provides first line center with a grinding style the coach likes.

I would say no to the trade, but had to think about it.

Oops, for some reason I was thinking Sean Couterier……

For Huberdeau I don’t think long about it and keep Alex. For Couterier I would have to ponder for awhile.

• The Jackal says:

Quota… as in, the quota for players over 5’11? Surely you aren’t talking about one of HIO’s favourite memes. That kind of talk about the team is pretty disappointing, n’est-ce pas?

Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Surely others can have an opinion differing yours as well I think.

Yes, this team wants/needs to have some local flavour, it is good business. I don’t blame them, but when the local talent doesn’t deserve the minutes they get, I find it very frustrating.

Change that to Hudon, Couterier instead of DD and PAP and I am very happy. Sorry to disappoint……

• Ozmodiar says:

It’s not a HIO meme, just a reality that some choose to ignore.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

• Forum Dog says:

I wouldn’t trade Galchenyuk to get him (at least not 1-for-1), but Couturier would be a dynamite addition. He’s just coming into his prime now.

• J_P says:

I dont think so because Huberdeau has played wing mostly at the NHL level, and does nothing to address our problems at center.

• shiram says:

Not that the team is stacked on the wings either, after Pacioretty (1st line winger) and Gallagher (2nd line winger) there is not much else.
        Hopes of a rejuvanated PAP, hope that Dutch Gretzky drops the Dutch, hopes that DSP becomes a scoring power forward that can skate, hopes and dreams!

• J_P says:

No I totally agree. I meant it in the sense that we can just as easily keep Galchenyuk on the wing so why trade Galchenyuk straight up for Huberdeau. At least Galchenyuk could potentially turn out to be an amazing center for us.

I’d gladly trade other players for Huberdeau.

• shiram says:

Oh ok gotcha.

Yeah I agree, unless there is a major schism between Galchenyuk and Bergevin/Therrien, there is not much sense in dealing him, unless the offer knocks your socks off.

• mdp2011 says:

No. But I would Drouin for Galchenyuk

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No point. Doesn’t really improve the team. If you are going to trade Chucky, then go big. Package him and go for a legit young number one center.

• Lapointe says:

Where do they get the dollars for number one center……AG contract as it stands is less than a M $ who would they throw in as a package. They have to eliminate $ to take on a # 1 center. Please don’t say PAP because he wouldn’t get much interest. He may make the waiver wire in my opinion. In all my years of hockey no other player has been so disappointing to watch. Our once glorious team doesn’t have much to barter with and you just can’t touch the ones that are considered core players. Max is a contract made in heaven…PK is one made in hell….Emelin’s made somewhere between but still not a good tplace….Markov…well his prior years earned him my respect but man he looked old in the playoffs. No our once glorious Habs are between a rock and a hard place. It just ain’t pretty at this time.

• PK says:

Too early in their respective careers to know who will do better.
      Both great prospects on paper …

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

23. rhino514 says:

“Galchenyuk expressed unhappiness over his ice time with the Canadiens and being benched by coach Michel Therrien in some situations.”

What is more interesting is that the quote you provided was not in quotations in the article. Therefore this is Hickey thinking this. He could be right, but this is not a quote from someone involved with Galchenyuk.

• Huh says:

Or someone said something to him off the record maybe.

He doesn’t state that either though, sorry but I think it is a sloppy report. In a place like Montreal where every word is dissected, statements like this shouldn’t be some vague sentence thrown in with no explanation.

• Cal says:

Throw away lines like that one don’t belong in a report. A commentary, sure, but not a report. Reports need facts, not opinions. Hickey needs to consider his words more carefully.

• The Jackal says:

Guys, it’s not Hickey thinking it, it’s just a part of the text’s structure to introduce the next quote by Larionov, which addresses Chucky being upset with certain things. It’s not Hickey throwing his opinion in there, it’s not an opinion piece, it’s an information piece, it’s for us to be updated with the situation and with whichever other updates are included at the end (MB, etc.).

Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Forum Dog says:

Is it possible that Galchenyuk has expressed unhappiness over his ice time and situational usage? I agree that a quote is the best way to substantiate a comment, but if it is something that is generally understood or acknowledged…..

• trade_centre says:

Vey few young players have played this many NHL games at Chucky’s age. He’s played nearly twice as many as Filip Forsberg for example.

24. Forum Dog says:

First time on in a while, here to get my mind ready for the draft and this is the article I am faced with?!? Yikes.

The hyperbole coming out of Willis Sports Group is a bit rich. Galchenyuk “fired a hall of famer”, Larionov and his team is trying to make Galchenyuk a good “hockey player and, more importantly, become a good human being”. He needs to be patient, so on and so forth. Maybe I value Galchenyuk a bit too much, but in my mind, he IS a good hockey player; he IS a good human being; he HAS been patient. This is about him forcing the team’s hand on this next contract, and getting where he needs to go as a player. He is entering his 4th season in the league and has shown that every time he is given more responsibility, he rises to the occasion. Time for the coach to take the kid gloves off and let him run a bit. And he knows that will not happen if the status quo is maintained. So, new agent, new tone.

I have never felt that the player comes before the team, and I don’t in this case. However, I am also not convinced that Therrien and Bergevin know how to handle offensive talent, and MTL needs offense more than pretty much any other team in the league. Galchenyuk is blue-chip, and if they manage to alienate a player of #27’s skill and work ethic, well, that is on them.

• habsr4ever says:

Couldn’t agree more. Alex (the next great) needs to be unleashed this season. Let’s see what this Ferari has under the hood at CENTRE in year number FOUR. Coming out party to 25-28 goals and 30 – 35 assists awaits.

• Forum Dog says:

Give him a solid winger and 1st wave PP time and I think you would see a dramatic improvement in MTL’s 5-0n-5 and PP scoring. Waiting until he has mastered the fine points of defensive or positional hockey will only stunt his offensive potential. You expect guys like Pat Kane, Steven Stamkos, Nate Mackinnon, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, etc., etc., to be adequate defensive players who can light the lamp at the other end. I do not see why the expectation for Galchenyuk would be different, unless you want him to be a two-way forward a la Plekanec and not a true #1.

25. habsr4ever says:

If we can land Sprong at 26 that is the guy we take – simply too much offensive upside to not get excited about. if he is gone I wouldn’t be surprised we draft the U.S. player Boeser (can’t say I know much about him) who seems to have a pretty good resume. Timmins loves those Americans and has had a great track record taking those guys. Bittner – I have seen him play in the dub and there seems to be something missing with him. His hockey sense was weak and man did he float out there a lot. His size is fantastic but sheesh he seems RAW…..having said that McCarron was probably to me a NEED pick and I wasn’t too enthused when we drafted him either – talk about RAW. Any hew – my guess is Sprong then Boeser then Debrusk (heart and character – isn’t that Bery’s M.O.?). We have enough D in our system and I hope Timmins drafts forwards come the weekend.
    I also suspect a trade or two happening…..salary dump would be grand but I am thinking BIG… in BIG centre.

26. shiram says:

Carey Price says he “didn’t watch a single game” after MON was eliminated. Too tough for him.

How much of a sure-thing Vezina winner is Carey Price tomorrow? Bovada has set the odds at 1/100!!!

So what was it that Galchenyuk wasn’t listening to as per Larionov? What was Larinov’s advise?

• J_P says:

Apparently to be “patient”…

so looks like Galchenyuk is asking for more responsibility and probably voiced how he wants to play center. Pure speculation on my part of course.

• Habs24 says:

We were 11-1-1 with Chucky at centre, and little Davey D as Lars winger…just saying…

Drive for 25!

• J_P says:

Dont have to convince me. I think the way Galchenyuk is being handled is a huge blemish on MT and MB. Teams like the habs drafting so high because they had an off year is the worst. Philly getting Van Riemsdyk and Boston getting Seguin as two comparable examples. These kids are used to playing 20 minutes a game and being the go-to guy on their team for their entire junior careers. All of a sudden they have to play defense on the third line for 12-14 minutes per game. That’s why bad teams get high draft picks, because they’ll actually play them and let them make mistakes.

Therrien showed absolutely zero patience for Chucky at center. Incredible considering how much patience he has shown Desharnais during the start of the last two seasons.

• habsr4ever says:

Kind of scary comments – if Larionov has to tell him to be patient obviously Alex is none to pleased with how he is being used by MT/the organization. At least he gives a s#$t and wants to be out there and be a difference maker. Love the sponk and his O talent. He’ll be here longer than MT – just hope we don’t limit him….unleash this offensive guy a bit – the sky is the limit at centre!

• Marek says:

Igor was trying to let him know that DD is better than him and MT is a personal development guru…

how did I do?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Stay away from my daughter…” LOL

RFA Offer Sheet Compensation:

$7,305,316 – $9,131,645
    (2) First-Round Picks + Second-Round Pick + Third-Round Pick

$9,131,645 and above
    (4) First-Round Picks

24 Cups

29. innis_mor says:

One side (agents’) story only, but that side suggests Galchenyuk (and pops?) aren’t keen on listening to reality.

Not a great sign, but, on we go.

(Galchenyuk kind of plays hockey that way too — head down, trying to do all himself.)

Another capgeek inspired site is out there, not sure if this was linked before.

So off topic, what North American City with multiple pro sports teams has it the worst?

I would normally throw Cleveland and Toronto out there, but Lebron has changed the Cavs and perhaps the Jays play meaningful games in August and September this year.

Philly seems to have really hit the rails. The Phillies are terrible this year, the Sixers (my childhood favourite team) have stunk for a long time now, the Eagles seem very mixed up and the Flyers seem to be in transition again……

Other suggestions?

And for the frisbee fans, here is a heck of a catch from the Pro Ultimate Frisbee League (yah I didn’t know there was a pro league either).

32. aHabberlikeyous says:

Fair enough…but im not presenting a dichotomy where there is a team with talent only and a team with drive only… there is a mix of both but one just has more of one than the other… sill maintain that drive over talent gets you the cup… what it takes for a team to win is an undescribable confluence of talent, drive, experience, leadership, commitment, and hard work. And it also comes down to how bad do you want it and are how hard are you going to fight for it.

Of course were dealing in sematics, the definition of a word is always slightly skewd from person to person.

But in MTL, Habs players for all their qualities, talent, drive, what have you… fight alas i dont see us having any that speaks volumes asides Gallagher, Price, and Prust when he can keep it together.

So now that the cap is officially 71.4M, it will be interesting to see what Galchenyuk gets on his contract. You would think Montreal would want to nail it down by this time next week.

The cap floor is 52.8M, so any team not able to reach it might be interested in PAP.

24 Cups

34. aHabberlikeyous says:

Not even a little coddled? If you had to pick between team talent or team drive that gets you to the cup final, which one would you pick? Id pick latter.

35. formerly known as the hc says:

HUH… That is nonsense! Midget Triple F and 60 inches of HD TV has prepared many an expert here. Oh, you forgot to mention how inept hockey Canada is for appointing GM MB.

36. krob1000 says:

For anyone who did not see the interview McDavid and Bob Mckenzie….great kid.

37. huge_polar_bear says:

Eric Engels has some ideas about who the Habs should draft. I am interested by Paul Bitner, a power forward, 6’4” who can score.

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m for playing Chucky at center but if he doesn’t want to play defense then forget it. Anyway, here’s a hypothetical question I was wondering?

Chucky, Tinordi and this year’s first gets you what? If MB wants to make a huge move, I think this is what it would take. Maybe Matt Duschene? Just musing…

39. Slack says:

Huh said, below:

‘Again, just speculation, but for all the hate MT gets around here for not playing Chucky at center, maybe, just maybe the guy has a better feel for what needs doing than we all do.’

Bless your soul.

It’s heartening to know that someone out there shares at least one view with me.

“I never met a girl I didn’t meet.
    -Daniel Johnston

• Huh says:

You know, I have to say that after being objective and watching things go down over the past few seasons, that I’m not a MT fan.

I don’t dig him as a coach and I have my reasons for it, right or wrong.

But far be it from me to think I know how to do a better job than a guy who’s spent his whole life studying the game of hockey.

I’m not dumb enough to think that I know this team better than MT does.

So, regardless of my personal preferences or opinions about how MT coaches, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he at least has a feel for his players and acts accordingly based on their talent, attitudes, needs etc.

• 70s_habsfan says:

Yeah for Slack someone to share pom-pom’s with !!

• Marek says:

So, acknowledging the fact that management and the coaching staff have a better idea of what the players/team needs, than we do, is waving the pom poms?

• 70s_habsfan says:

No just Slack. He is in a whole different place. He pretty much bullies anyone who questions gets to be annoying.

I personally think there are some good and bad things with MT. I don’t know how anyone can defend the current state of the powerplay.

• Marek says:

I do realize that everything is not all roses all the time. But to Slack’s defense I can see where he’s coming from. The constant negativity on here from more than a few can get quite tiresome.

Regardless if the Habs win the night before or not, there is always, ALWAYS some negative nellys that are up in a huff because MT didn’t use so and so on the PP or because we didn’t win convincingly enough…whatever it is there is always some sort of complaint.

Like i said I know not everything is perfect but when there are some that REFUSE to give any credit to MT/DD in particular it is also annoying.

• Huh says:

Hahah, @Marek, I guess. Didn’t I say several times how I’m not a fan of MT.

AND, @70’s_habfan… just because you don’t agree with Slack’s opinions doesn’t mean you need to be a sarcastic d–k. Yes our PP sucks and MT did nothing to rectify it all year long. I’m there with you. There are many things we can criticize MT for doing/ not doing, but there’s also a lot of conjecture.

I’m just mature and sensible enough to set aside/separate my feelings and what/where the truth a actually lays.

Look, again, I’m not a MT fan, and wouldn’t cry if he was replaced. I’m not a huge fan of the style that the Habs play in general. BUT, I’m also not dumb enough to think I know more about coaching a hockey team than MT. That doesn’t mean there aren’t other pro coaches that can’t do better with our current roster.

Who know, maybe I’m being too rational…. maybe this is better:

“Lynch Therrien and Bergevin and drown all their pets in the St-Laurent river. They are destroying our hockey team and turning Galchenyuk into a 5th line plugger.”

• 70s_habsfan says:

Apparently you don’t see the dribble that Slack usually posts …so I think you missed who has been a d–k here.
            BTW I think that MB has done a very good job so far and Therrien has been above average but needs someone on his staff to balance his defense first (second and third) style.
            I just get sick of reading the way some people get jumped on when commenting on any flaws. The questioning of who is more of fan (including where they should live) and who can say what is what really turns me off (even who can or cant joke). Not to mention threatening people who may attend the summit…so if that makes me a d–k …I don’t know if I will be posting here anymore.

• Timo says:

You want to drown DD? That’s not nice.

• Huh says:

I get it. I don’t know anything about ppl threatening ppl over here. I just want to talk hockey.

Not everyone has the same opinions, but everyone should be allowed to say what they think as long as they’re respectful.

Everyone should be allowed to post opinions without getting attacked.

My post wasn’t meant as an attack on you.

Can’t we just talk sports?

40. aHabberlikeyous says:

@Cal: perhaps or perhaps not… these are players that are masters of their craft, but im just saying that at that kind of level where competition is close, managment IS preoccupied with their players headspace, and does try to maintain a certain amount of feng shui in the work environment. If you add the fact that players are millionaires and their every “need” is tended to, to me that does amount to coddling whereby players are constantly being cooed to “perform”, to “compete”, to “battle”. Long gone are the days where players “fight” & “sacrifice” to just keep playing.

Whereas imo todays CH players are performing and competing better, i feel when push comes to shove, they dont have the fight in them necessary to send them to the Stanley cup final.

• Cal says:

Getting to the Cup Final is more about the players on the whole team, not just one or two. Every team treats its players well- that’s not “coddling” them. It’s no longer 1950 when a dirtbag like Adams gets things done his way.

41. Huh says:

Just putting this out there because speculation is all the rage.

Did anyone else notice what Plek said in his interview about Markov teasing Chucky and cutting his laces and how it’s good for him and that he needs it?

Again, reading between the lines and I thought something similar when first reading that quote – maybe Chucky has an attitude problem. Maybe he has a sense of entitlement and the older guys in the room see it and are trying to make sure his ego doesn’t get too big?

Either way, we don’t know. But I did find that he always seems annoyed or chippy when doing interviews.

And although I’m not a MT fan, maybe just maybe this guy has a feel for his room and his players….. just maybe he’s not the ignoramus we all think he is…. and again I’ll reiterate; I’m not a MT fan and wish this team played a different style of hockey….. but MAYBE the reason Chucky didn’t get left at center is because MT recognizes that the kid has an attitude problem and is in need of some adjusting.

Maybe MT really wants to play Chucky at center, but wants to “break” him first and make him realize that the whole world and the whole team doesn’t revolve around him.

Maybe Chucky needs to mature as a person, before he can seize the opportunities and achieve his potential as a player.

• Luke says:

I did notice it. I interpreted it as him being a bit too serious, or wound up. That he puts too much pressure on himself, perhaps.

Not that he is a self-centered ego maniac who needs to have his will broken.

• Huh says:

Maybe. I don’t know. It could mean a million things.

Just taking that comment and the “to be a good human being” comment and wondering, that’s all.

Either way, you could very well be right.

Good read, interesting perspective.

CHeers Huh!

42. jon514 says:

Had a nightmare last night that we signed Martin St Louis in the off-season and Gallagher lost his spot in the top 6 because they were taken by MSL and PAP…. please tell me it was only a dream and not a premonition?!

• Cal says:

At 40? Bergevin is skewing the team younger. No way.
      Last playoff: 19 games played. 1 goal and 6 assists.
      He has his Cup already and plenty of money. Time for him to move on. I hope he doesn’t linger like Brodeur did.

43. JUST ME says:

I figure that a guy that has just been fired by a customer will not got out with tons of positive comments from the experience. Then again, i am not worried about Larionov having many other players to care for so…

What bugs me is the type of comment like : to be a good human being. Not the usual kind of words one would say about someone else without feeling the need to share them. That being added with the rumors from the french medias from a while ago about Chucky having off ice issues with the law it looks to me like the kids needs to mature and hopefully the Habs did come true with the plan to have coaches for kids having to deal with celebrity and off ice behaviour. Brisebois and Lapointe were hired back then to take care of this.

That being said ,negociations are not always pretty and easy with every player . In this cap era it also comes down to the kids graduating only when it`s time and veterans on the other end being traded when their prime is behind them .

And finally and mostly these days, there are many many ways to use the medias to try to stir the pot…from both sides of the negociation.

44. UKRAINIANhab says:

I know everybody loves Gallagher, who the heck wouldn’t. But I really wonder if he can keep his style as is as he gets older, I’m not saying he won’t, but I cant imagine a 30 year old playing like he does, perhaps we will find out one day…

45. Old Bald Bird says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 15m15 minutes ago
    NHL, NHLPA announce salary cap of $71.4 million for next season. So as expected pretty much.

46. trade_centre says:

We really don’t have any trade chips do we?

No one is going to give much for Plekanec when there are several free agent centres available for free.

Parenteau, Tinordi or Tokarski are not going to get us much either. Same with Emelin and Gilbert.

If I was a rival GM the only Habs I would want to trade for are Max and Gallagher, pretty much. (I’d love Price or Subban too but I’d know that was out of the question.)

I don’t think we should trade either Max or Gally unless the deal is insane (Tyler Seguin etc …).

47. aHabberlikeyous says:

On another note… if advanced analytics is all the rage and Habs has a coach that loves to rotate players…. wouldnt it be awesome if, we the experienced consumer, could see a method or logic behind the selection of a said player to play a certain position, on line x, covering y opponent, 5 on 5, PP, PK. Example: playing Gallagher vs Chara- thats logical. Playing DD vs Chara- ridiculously illogical. My 2c

48. aHabberlikeyous says:

Line #1 and 2 are supposed to offensive lines, line#3 is too defensive to catalyze AG27’s offensive skill set. Id say alternate btween 1 and 2.

49. shiram says:

Hearing teams preparing for a cap of $71.4M and a floor of $52.8M

50. trade_centre says:

We should build a massive levee out of all of our pom-poms to hold back the crushing wave of Luke’s bitter disappointment.

51. shiram says: with a piece on the 10 likeliest players to be traded.
    Includes one possibly to Montreal, and Montreal trading one of it’s player.

I would endorse a PAP for Eric Gelinas deal, if indeed the Devils had interest in PAP.

• trade_centre says:

Oh please not Bickell.

He was good a few seasons ago but he’s ridiculously overpaid now.

• shiram says:

I had the same thought.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

A player the habs absolutely under no circumstances should attempt to get.

• trade_centre says:

He’s David Clarkson redux.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Minus the much worse contract, the fact Bickell skates well, and Bickell has a very good shot.

I don’t want us acquiring Bickell, too much money for a guy who I think has banged up his body something fierce getting where he got. The gas tank is low, but no reason to insult him as Clarkson. Mind you he plays a physical game, and that is frowned upon by some here.

• trade_centre says:

I’m not sure “gas tank is low” is any more flattering than “this year’s David Clarkson”.

Well, I’m pretty sure he was suffering from a concussion throughout the playoffs. I watched the entire behind the scenes episodes from Winter Classic, he was battling serious injuries all season. At one point both eyes were black, broken nose, a shoulder he could hardly use etc…. The guy sacrificed his body every night for that team as they had few bruisers.

Reminds me of Prust, and i think his gas tank is low also. By this i mean the body is getting worn out. Clarkson to me is just lacking talent and has little to no hockey smarts. If he were making 2.5 perhaps you could use him.

I just don’t see Clarkson as much of a player. He had that year riding shotgun for Parise, but really nothing else.

• Un Canadien errant says:

At the bottom is a “You May Like (Sponsored)” link to:

Top 10 Ultimate Movies That Everyone Should See

Is that just redundant redundancy, or a list of movies about the team frisbee game?

52. Un Canadien errant says:

Brooksie: “Meanwhile, it also can be pretty much etched in stone that if Martin St. Louis chooses to continue his career, it will not be in New York, with both sides prepared to move on.

It is unknown whether the winger, who will turn 40 on Thursday and who has used outside doubts as fuel to generate a slam-dunk Hall of Fame career, will seek employment elsewhere. Maybe Montreal?”

53. Hobie says:

This is where I believe Michel Therrien is doing a great job. Galchenyuk’s contract will get worked out and he’ll be in training camp. He’ll be angry and hungry to get more ice time and prove his coach wrong.

Therrien intentionally uses ice time and the ability to bench certain players as a motivational technique. I approve of this method big time. Your coach isn’t your best friend.

All the people who think Galchenyuk should just be handed the #1 center ice position on a silver platter and let itself work out are wrong IMO.

I personally think that heading into the summer a bit angry and unsatisfied with his current situation was a good thing. Much better than just being left on the 1st line and treated like veteran at age 20 or 21. I think he’ll be fired up come training camp, Therrien will reward him if that’s the case and that will spark him even more.

Just my opinion…

54. aHabberlikeyous says:

I read another poster refer to molly coddling as an approach taken by mngmt to deal with players egos… nice! This theory is gaining!

55. aHabberlikeyous says:

@Lapointe: my posts are all opinion! And nonsense; and heresay; and venting; and cheering; and leering… facts? What is that?

56. Un Canadien errant says:

Jeff Blashill, who coached Mantha in Grand Rapids and now is the head coach in Detroit, knows Mantha better than anyone in the organization. He has said it’s a matter of Mantha figuring out how he needs to skate in order to be successful as a pro.

What the heck does that mean? That he needs to ‘keep his feet moving’, or to rework his skating stride?

• Luke says:

Mantha & a something for Grigorenko?

Alleviates the youthful center congestion in Buffalo have:

Not sure if Detroit needs a big ol’ worrisome center, but maybe they could part with a big ol’ worrisome winger for him…

Perhaps the tea leaves read an exchange of My problem for Your problem.

• 70s_habsfan says:

Could the Habs get this guy and what would it take?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I really don’t think so. It’s not like the Wings are shopping him, looking to dump him on someone else, just that he’s no longer an untouchable, and they’d consider using him to trade for a big piece, or a high draft pick, etc. I don’t know that we have such a big piece we’re looking to unload.

The Tyler Myers-Evander Kane trade was one of those where two teams had interests that lined up. I don’t think that’s the case with us and the Wings, and add in the fact that we’re divisional opponents…

57. aHabberlikeyous says:

Sup HIO! Read on yesterday that Galchy has no more money. Today that headline and article is dissapeared. Did not read it in any of yous guys posts, so there.