About this afternoon …

Maybe it was the midday start.
Maybe it was the large ice surface and unfamiliar camera angles.
Maybe it was the small crowd – a shade over 10,000 – and consequent lack of atmosphere.
Whatever … I couldn’t really get into Canada’s 3-1 win over mighty Norway today.

And neither could the team, at least through the beginning of the game.

So let’s cut quickly to what interests HIO readers:

Carey Price was … well, the stat line looked good: 20 shots, 19 stops – a .950 save percentage, compared to .925 in Price’s NHL season to date.

But I thought he looked uncomfortable. And those 20 shots were taken by Norwegians.

Price was bad on the goal that briefly made a game of it. With Norway on the power play, he mishandled the puck behind the net to set the scoring sequence in motion. And then Price might have been tighter to the post on the goal – although, to be fair, it hit a player and changed direction on him.

Bottom line: Price did not nail down the number one job.

We’ll see how Roberto Luongo fares against Austria on Friday. And then Mike Babcock has to decide who’s in nets when Canada completes its preliminary round with a game against Finland on Sunday.

Let’s hope we see P.K. Subban against Austria.

Canada’s defence corps was rock-solid against Norway – better, as a group, than the forwards, I thought. But the power play wasn’t great, and P.K. would help there.

I don’t know whom Babcock would sub out for P.K. All the D played well.

Here’s how your other Canadiens Olympians fared:

• In a 4-2 loss to Sweden on Wednesday, Czech Republic captain Tomas Plekanec played 22:04. Hes and Tomas Kaberle (!!!) assisted on Jaromir Jagr’s goal. Pleks had two shots on goal and was 9-11 on faceoffs.

• Coming on in relief of Jaroslav Halak, Peter Budaj stopped six of eight shots in Slovakia’s 7-1 loss to the U.S. Within two minutes of entering the game, 13:30 into the second period, Budaj was beaten by Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown.

Max Pacioretty played 11:30 in the stomping of Slovakia. He and T.J. Oshie drew assists on linemate Paul Stastny’s goal – the one that chased Halak. Max had two shots on goal in each of the first two periods and finished plus-2. On Mitch Melnick’s radio show, Pierre McGuire raved about the trio, which is ostensibly the U.S.’s fourth line. He was particularly effusive about Oshie. He’s the forward the Canadiens asked for in the Halak trade, but St. Louis said no way for T.J.

Andrei Markov played 16:17 in Russia’s 5-2 win over Slovenia and had a clean stats line: No points, no shots, no penalties. Markov was on the power play that produced Ilya Kovalchuk’s goal, making it 3-0 in the second period.

Alexei Emelin played 13:58. He was one for one goal for, one against and took a high-sticking penalty in the second period.

TGIF Special: Austria at noon tomorrow.

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Read this great take on P.K.

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

1. NoTinFoilCups says:

The Swiss holding on against the Swedes halfway through (0-0) despite some lame calls by the refs. I hope they don’t hijack this tournament but it’s entirely possible.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    “Good morning. While we were sleeping our pals in Sochi reported: Sharp-Hamhuis out, Duchene-Subban in; Zetterberg out of tourney. Berglund takes his place on the top line”

Zetterberg, Sedin and Franzen already out and the tournament really hasn’t even started yet.

3. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

Good morning! Parting words before I have to hit the snow and go to work.

I think it has been decided long ago that Price was the guy, unless their was a major screw-up. He was chosen to play the first game, which is a much tougher game, not only because of the opponent, but also because the team in front of him would be (and was), well, crap for long stretches.

The fact that Luongo and Smith get their token appearance, and Price gets to watch the whole rink, points to a better preparation for upcoming games for him.

By no means, as others have detailed, was this an easy game for a goalie to play. After the game, Jamie Benn’s interview was telling. “…we played as a team, and Carey Price was very good…”. No one even asked him about goaltending. I think the bonding has begun. If the Captain of the team thinks you’re the best, well it pretty much means, you are the guy.

I could be wrong, but I think it was always Price’s job to lose.

Also, looking forward to PK on the team. I think he will be flying today. Also looking forward to more unauthorized live blogging!

Being realistic, is Canada presently 2nd or 5th in the medal standings? After gold, which counts the most, the number of silver or the total amount of medals? (I know what the rule is in terms of the Olympics). In the grand scheme of things, is there that much difference between silver or bronze?

Right now I see Canada as being in 5th spot.

• 25 Stanley Cups says:

Truly, I don’t know where Canada really ranks. I thought Canada was flying this week, till I realized half of there medals came from new events. And more importantly X Games, meets Olympics events.

This slopestyle stuff. Is not an olympic sport. Its the Olympics attempt at evolving and getting the interest of the “kids” of the world, and ripping the X Games content for it.

Canada, still cant compete in any regular skiing event, cross country event, and seems to have taken a dive in speed skating even. We dont even have a single competitor in the Ladies aerials today.

We have short track, figure skating, curling, and hockey. Even in Luge or Skeleton, were not even in the tops anymore.

I think there were they’ve been since its all started, maybe a top 10 country.

Seems like they put all there resources in these X Olympics sports.

• In the 90′s I got to play only one game on big ice in Europe, now I’m not comparing myself to NHLer’s but it was fun and fast having all that room to make plays.

Big ice is hard to defend, and maybe awkward for goalies, but the goals still come from the same areas as an NHL arena.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• Cal is Canadian says:

Grantland should have looked a capgeek. PK is making $3.75mil this season. And, it is an excellent contract. He will clean up next time with Montreal or sign a short one and leave afterwards. MB must not drop the ball on this one. He is Montreal’s most dynamic player.

• 24 Cups says:

I think his point was that it’s a bad contract for the Habs seeing they will pay a heavy price this summer. I guess he feels they should have signed PK long term.

I still think NHL GMs should try and hold the line on bridge contracts. Otherwise, the salary grid will totally spiral out of control.

Realistically, that ship has probably already sailed. Ten to twelve million dollar contracts are right around the corner.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

The salaries cannot, by definition, spiral out of control because there is a cap set to revenues.

• 24 Cups says:

They can spiral out of control if teams keep giving 22-23 year olds ludicrous contracts after just three years of experience. That unnecessary overpayment has ramifications throughout the entire team salary structure. By giving a player such as Tyler Myers so much money, the team has to cut cost elsewhere. It impacts the overall strength of the roster due to the spiralling overpayment of a few young kids.

Let’s say that MB gave Subban a long term deal of 6M a season instead of the bridge contract. Right now the Habs would have to lop off 2.25M in order to meet the cap.

5. monmick is Canadian says:

Condolences to Coach Therrien and family for the loss of his mother; Rachel Bouthillier…

===
    Publié le 14 février 2014 à 06h44 | Mis à jour à 06h44
    Michel Therrien est en deuil de sa mère

La Presse Canadienne
    L’entraîneur-chef du Canadien de Montréal, Michel Therrien, est en deuil de sa mère.

Rachel Bouthillier est décédée mardi dernier à l’âge de 81 ans. Elle était la veuve de Gérard Therrien qui est décédé en 2007, alors que son fils dirigeait les Penguins de Pittsburgh.

Mme Bouthillier laisse aussi dans le deuil deux petits-enfants et son frère.

La famille recevra les condoléances dimanche, entre 12 h et 16 h, dans un complexe funéraire de la rue Sherbrooke Est, à Montréal. Les funérailles seront ensuite célébrées en la chapelle du complexe.

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

6. Watching King Henrik makes me sick, his equipment fills the entire net! The difference can really be seen during the Czech, the Czech goalies looked like straw-men compared to Henrik and his magic chest protector and pads. I will never give this goalie credit for anything, plus when the going gets tough, he gets going…..as in pulls himself from the game,and skates to the bench.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

7. Mike Boone says:

I stand corrected on the goal. Numerous distinguished members of the Commentariat have pointed out that the play behind the net was Pietrangelo’s error. And Carey Price faced a ridiculously low number of quality shots – about what he’d see in two shifts against St. Louis. He’s at his best with 35-40 shots in a game.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

8. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Mr. Boone writes:

” Carey Price was … well, the stat line looked good: 20 shots, 19 stops – a .950 save percentage…..

Price was bad on the goal that briefly made a game of it…And then Price might have been tighter to the post on the goal – although, to be fair, it hit a player and changed direction on him.

Bottom line: Price did not nail down the number one job.
    ——————————–
    Come now, Mr. Boone

How is it possible to judge a goalie saying “He looked uncomfortable” where the competition resembled the AHL at best?

Price is a goalie that is used to work (actually means being bombarded night after night) with at least an average of 31 shots per game and multiple, high quality, NHL scoring chances.

As for the 20 shots pointed out, you could have mentioned that at least 5-7 came from the neutral zone.

The 2nd period?
    Carey could have set up a lawn chair and read a magazine as he didn’t face a shot until 18:09 of that period. That shot also came from the neutral zone.
    That does not allow any goalie to get into a rhythm.

As for ” Price did not nail down the number one job,” this game/competition was not where that was going to happen.

The big game is Game 3 against Finland.
    Whomever gets the call for that one – then how they play, will dictate who takes over (or not) for the rest of the tournament.
    After that Game 3, it’s win or out until the semis.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ronn. There were long stretches of non action for Price. I’ve never been smart enough by observations alone to judge how someone actually feels on the ice so I’ll leave that to folks with those types of skills. He did no dishonor with his play.

I’m biased when it comes to Price and all things Habs related but if I were the Canadian brain trust I’d be passing the torch to Price this year. Unless he completely falls on his face it should be Price carrying the load for Team Canada.

9. Blondie est Canadien says:

I wouldn’t fret much about having a close game against Norway. Outside of the first period the game itself wasn’t close. The first period and events surrounding Norways goal were the result of players not used to playing with each other. As the tournament moves along the team will get more cohesive, “gel” as it were.

Looking forward to PK playing today. I just hope he tones down the slow circling back to the defensive zone. Moves like that can get you burned with this level of competition. Not necessarily Austria, of course, but in general.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with your take on the game. As far as PK, I hope he energizers the entire team, heck the entire tournament because the games lacked a little something IMO.

BTW -Good morning!

• Habfan10912 says:

BTW – For months I thought your avatar was a coyote with his mouth wide open. I’m not on my computer very often so I’m normally viewing this thru my phone and sometimes without glasses. Blind and dumb, eh? CHeers.

• Blondie est Canadien says:

Lol, my strat is a lot less maintenance than a coyote. I guess that makes us even for me thinking your old avatar was a Toronto Argonauts crest/logo.

And good morning to you. Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to do some shovelling. It sure ain’t spring yet.

10. clutch73 says:

“Price was bad on the goal that briefly made a game of it.” Please Boone quit smoking the ganja, i watched the replay 10 times and that play behind the net was all pietrangelo, Price left it there for him and he turned away from the puck and the Norway player take it.

• Habfan10912 says:

I saw it somewhat the same. A miscommunication for sure. The resulting goal was a multiple deflection that Price had no chance on. Price just seems to have a vocal minority group of haters. Leftover Halek supporters?

Babcock is upset with lack of scoring chances – http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/team-canada-slow-start-sochi-surprise.html

I say it’s all Subban’s fault

That swedish doper with falling pants cracks me up. How did he ever make it past the dope test?

That American, Jeremy Abbott, that crashed during figure skating short program, slammed hard, got up and finished the program and audience just cheered him on all the way. THAT’s what Olympics is all about. Really touching to see.

What’s with all the people changing their handles?

Looking at Russian ladies curling team again. I think I may make it my scheduled daily activity.

16. Saintpatrick33 says:

Not sure what game Boone watched but he’s way off. Price was solid and the d-corp was anything but till they got their act together in the 3rd period. In any other universe Subban would get a top 6 spot over Bouwmeester. Weber and Pietrangelo were the only d-men that stood out in my mind.

17. Sportfan says:

Yay PK next game!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. Sportfan says:

Some A-Hole said PK wasn’t on the same level as the rest of our D core for team Canada. I shut his mouth with the Norris trophy haha

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not a very flattering article by Mike Boone regarding Carey Price. Cut him some slack & get off the negative crap. Price looked uncomfortable, did not nail down the number one job. Get off his back Boone & just cheer Team Canada on.

20. habs-hampton says:

I don’t think Price misplayed the puck on that goal. Pietrangelo was ahead of the Norwegian player, Price left it for him and then Pieterangelo turned to the corner away from Price. They’re just not familiar with each other yet. (PK would never ha done that! ;) )

• sam says:

this about Price clearly leaving the puck for his D. he (Pietrangelo, you say?) was coming behind the net but seemed to turn back into the corner as if thinking Price was going to pass it back to him. miscommunication in a first game. nothing more. i’m sure the coaching staff aren’t losing sleep over it.

• piter says:

I agree with your assessment. Price left the puck for his defenceman, who turned away from him behind the net. Its just a mis-communication that I don’t think Babcock will hold against Price. Babcock would have been keeping an eye on his goalies leading up to the Olympics, and knows Price has been playing very well as of late. Now Lou on the other hand, he hasn’t been playing that well at all. I just hope Babcock doesn’t give Lou the inside track just because of 2010. That was 4 years ago, and Luongo’s not the goalie he once was. Price is the #1 goalie in Canada, I believe. I suppose we’ll see who starts the 3rd game on Sunday. GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!

• Timo says:

I know Subban would have played it right. But the coaches know best, of course.

21. boing007 says:

Maybe the Canadian team coaching staff is a tad too much controlling. Try some Yoga.

Richard R

22. Mavid is a Canadian says:

We are having another granddaughter!! whoohooo

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

I think PK will be right “at home” tomorrow because every tiny mistake will immediately land him into Babcocks permanent doghouse. Hence, I am expecting a very tentative, no flare defensive game from Subban tomorrow (unless of course he resigned to the fact that Babcock won’t play him anyway and will just go all out with a bang)

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

I don’t think PK will be able to contain himself… If he gets the puck in the back of the net with all that space around him, he’ll round the corner and light the jets.

Option A: Go through Austria by himself (totally do-able)… Just so long as he doesn’t pull a Hertl, he’ll be fine.

Option B: Fire a bomb to a streaking forward from the goal line for the breakaway.

Finish it off with a triple low five. F ya!

• CH Marshall says:

Therrien likes this

24. Prop Is Canadian says:

Wow, one GA, and Price is already thrown under the bus?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

25. scavanau says:

So, Carey Price was guilty of being Carey Price? Flashes of greatness interspersed with moments of total confusion…

26. UKRAINIANhab says:

Luongo will start, and I hate that Luongo will start

27. boing007 says:

Maybe it was the hockey groupies?

Richard R

28. Slackman Is Drinking a Beer Like A Good Canadian Ought To says:

PK scores one next game. You heard it here first.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

29. CJ says:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that TSN does not have the broadcast rights to men’s hockey highlights? I’m just in the process of getting caught up, but the that’s hockey edition only included still photos. Maybe I’ve missed something.

I wonder though, if CBC and Sportsnet wanted to play hardball, could they restrict TSN rights to NHL game footage? I can’t imagine that being the case, given that TSN still has regional rights, but they could face a squeeze if CBC and Rogers want to play hardball.

30. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

I just had the first opportunity to watch the game, uninterrupted.

Firstly, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Mr. Boone, however I disagree regarding his thoughts on Price. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to play two periods of hockey, without ever really getting into the game. Personally, I find Price most effective when he faces lots of rubber early. You want to feel the puck and get your mindset right. Neither were possible today for long stretches of time. To this end, I thought he was poised and ready when needed. The goal against was as much or more a defensive lapse and communication breakdown as anything else. To those commenting on how poorly Price plays the puck, I still regard him top five in the NHL. I’m willing to live with the mistakes knowing that he will make 10 solid plays which help the puck exit the zone, for every one miscue which results in a scoring opportunity.

Things didn’t click offensively, but it wasn’t for lack of chances. The 3-1 final greatly flattered our opposition. Over a seven game series there isn’t a team at this Olympics that could beat Canada. In a single game elimination, anything can happen. We are not guaranteed to win, nor do we deserve it anymore then anyone else. We need to fight for everything and approach each game like it’s do or die. The results today were the best thing that could happen to this team. It will serve as a reminder that the world is against us, and nothing short of our very best will be good enough to win.

Looking forward to seeing PK in action tomorrow. In the interim, looking forward to keeping abreast on our prospects.

Cheers, CJ

Smith is a backup tomorrow according to TSN.

32. Mavid is a Canadian says:

Service Unavailable – Zero size object

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
    Reference #15.2ea50017.1392339377.44493163

Here is a new one…Olympic hamsters perhaps

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

33. Mavid is a Canadian says:

I thought Price played well..from what I saw..the Bell App is crap..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Timo says:

He did play well. The goal was a double deflection and on top of that his D man should have done a better job communicating when Price went to play that puck. Olimb was also given way too much time to skate around with the puck.

Of course, Bobby Lou will get a shutout against much weaker austria and Babcock will use that little miscommunication mistake to keep Price on the bench the rest of the tournament.

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

They are showing the highlights on Primetime..you are 100% correct..Price had lots of time to get back into position..his mishandle of the puck had no bearing on the goal..I fear your correct about Lou..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habilis Canadianis says:

I don’t know about that. This is Mike Babcock we’re talking about, not Mike Therrien. The man can coach. I think he’ll make the right call. Remember he had no problem benching Brodeur for Lou in 2010.

IMHO, he’s an astute guy and he just wants to win above all. No loyalty points with him.

34. CJ says:

Mike McCarron and Brady Vail both with goals this evening. Both players have certainly enjoyed much better second halves to their respective seasons.

35. JohninTruro says:

McCarron with a goal tonight.

36. Mavid is a Canadian says:

Cannot wait to see PK tomorrow..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

37. Which line combos clicked, and which were ineffective? Was the wide rink detrimental to the Canucks attempt to play a Norse-South game?

38. Lopaz is Canadian says:

The Americas were firing on all cylinders. I like their speed.

39. I doubt these guys will play down to the level of their opponent for the rest of this tournament. Expect the leaders and coaches to step in and gently prod them in the right direction.

The game was a bit of a letdown though, given the anticipation and of course expectations of the fans.

I trust them to pick it up from now on.

punkster is Canadian!!!

40. NCRhabsfan says:

You have to laugh. How many times at the World’s and the Olympics have Canada started the tourney against a supposedly weak opponent and won a game exactly like this. Norway plays a very disciplined defensive style. They’re desperately trying not to get blown out so they’re taking few risks. Their players are also better than most of us give them credit for. But in the end, they always lose because they’re not really trying to win. And we always get upset because our guys didn’t win by as much as we would have liked. What is not surprising is the score, what is surprising is that it was so utterly predictable.

41. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

The best part of Canada not being dominant in scoring goals is the opportunity this presents for PK in tomorrows game.

• johnnylarue says:

Based on the amount of ice time Hamhuis saw in Game 1, I think it’s fair to expect PK will get a chance to show the coach what he’s made of tomorrow. And I’m definitely looking forward to it!

• Cal is Canadian says:

That’s about the only thing you can take away from that downright lousy performance.
      Other countries should worry about Canada, not the other way around.
      Babcock saying in his presser that “it’s supposed to be hard.” Of course it is, if you don’t just roll the lines and get everyone into it. 3 boring D first and always coaches equals tight games that should be blow outs. Canada better be a lot better against Austria tomorrow. The Finns are not a team that can be beaten easily, like Norway.

I agree with whoever said that Canada missed DD tonight. Imagine if Crosby is centered by DD?

• johnnylarue says:

I personally think they should put Nash on Crosby’s line, and teach this guy to play hockey to complete the trio:

• SlovakHab is not impressed after game 1 says:

It should have been Borque – DD – Briere as Canada’s first line.
      Crosby can play on the second line and second PP unit.

Too bad Francis Bouillon isn’t Canadian. He would patrol that blue line beautifully on the powerplay.

With Michel Therrien as a coach, of course :D

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

I would imagine Frankie has dual citizenship and never played for either national team. He’s good to go.

BTW, what’s with slagging off Frankie. He’s been good to the Habs and never really cost us any thing. Not bad for one of the strongest guys pound for pound in the league and a player who could take on the odd middleweight when most of our team was filled with floaters.

Granted this past year was one too many… but that’s not on him. Frankie B deserves better. It’s not like he’s
        Andrei Kovalenko, Kaberle, Benny Pouliot, Gui!, Fatty Spacek or the dude we got for Ribeiro.

Ugh, I just threw up a little there…

43. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

By reading some comments and Boone’s ATA, you’d think our team had lost, and badly Head scratcher?!

Thanks to Habfan10912 I received unauthorized live blogging during the game.

I just watched the game, and Price looked like his awesome self, but, the rest of the team didn’t look so good the 1st period. They looked nervous, understandably, after all they are the favourites, and are bound to feel some pressure. As well, every other team is going to bring their A game vs Canada, as the defending Olympic Champions.

If I’m not mistaken, Team Norway had substantially more than 3 days to get acquainted, unlike Team Canada. So sit back, relax and enjoy some great hockey.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Norway played their hearts and souls out, and they got a goal as a reward. The game was never in doubt once the second period got going. Their is a ton of adjustments which the Team Canada players must make, egos must be checked at the door, responsibility for every shift must be accepted. As long as the players buy in, this Canadian team will have an opportunity to win Gold. If they all buy in, play their hearts out, I will not worry about the result. It will speak for itself.

• Mr. Biter says:

They sucked in the 1st period. Got so mad I went to work after it ended. Team Canada’s coach’s made more line changes than MT does in a game. Listened to the game on Radio and am of course glad they won and yes it’s an exhibition game but still Norway. Oui Vey.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Chris says:

You make a very, very good point about the familiarity advantage that the Norwegians enjoyed. That is why the heavyweights are typically paired off with minnows in the early going. The IIHF really does go out of their way to help the big teams (Canada, Russia, and the U.S.). Finland also enjoyed a pretty easy opener.

Have to feel for the Czechs and Swedes…that was an awfully tough opening match-up for each team, especially when you factor in the lack of preparation.

• Mr. Biter says:

Canada had 3 days of practice days this year, 1 practice day in Vancouver. Canada and the US are at a disadvantage vs many of the other teams which drop in some NHL players into a team which has been practicing much longer for the Olympics. Not complaining just pointing out a fact.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Budaj getting thrown to the wolves was hard to watch. Shades of that last game against the Sens where nothing good was going to come from getting dropped into a bad situation.

For a second I thought it would end up 12-1. Good thing the US took its foot of the gas.

44. PrimeTime says:

Strange, eh? The same fans that gripe about the Habs gripe about Team Canada. Coincidence? I think it pretty much says more about them than their teams.

45. Ktowner says:

I’ve read so many comments on various sites about the game today and I just can’t believe the negativity and utter lack of understanding about not only how this tournament works but what the preliminary round means. Some of the brighter hockey minds that spoke before the game seemed to nail noting that Norway was the harder opponent and that it would take at least one game for Canada to find themselves on the ice.
    This of course is what happened, early on they had trouble clearing the zone, making stretch passes, dumping the puck in on line changes and the best goalie in the world our Carey Price had trouble handling the puck especially behind the net.

We won. Players are figuring out the larger ice surface and I do think that Price is the #1.

Austria is a much weaker team, the score will be much more lopsided but the difficult shots against Canada will not be there.
    Bring on the Finns!

• habs001 says:

They scored 4 on Rask …It could be huge to have the best record in the preliminary round and be the top seed in the quarters

• JUST ME says:

It`s also about patriotism and is a very serious business. I see how the whole russian olympic succes is based on them wining the hockey gold and nothing else is important and i ask myself if we were that obsessed. I guess some were, i am not really and tend to see those first games as adjustments time , trials and errors and getting used to many things without risking any losses. We were pooled in a weaker group so we might as well make the most of it .

46. johnnylarue says:

Timo, I’m giving you this link to add to any post you make about Andi Petrillo’s outfit on any given day:

47. JohninTruro says:

Really felt watching this game that is was missing something, and that something is/was PK. There was no oomph, or pizzazz, nothing to motivate or get these guys excited. Often the big hit will do this but it is tougher in this competition. Cycling the puck consistently breeds a grinding game without drive and excitement. PK (if allowed to wheel) will bring that edge and excitement tomorrow.

48. SlovakHab is not impressed after game 1 says:

That’s quite a lot of negativity for a warm-up game.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

This is the group that criticizes the Habs after they win a game.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am always appreciative of Canadians love and passion for their game. Could that love and passion be the very thing that keeps a relatively small nation a superpower when it comes to hockey?

I think that’s what we see. An expectation by its citizen for perfection and dominance.

• SlovakHab is not impressed after game 1 says:

Could be a part of it, but other main reasons are relative disinterest of Canadians in other sports, as well as good economic situation so that parents can afford supporting their kids’ hockey development. Without money, you are not playing at this level.

Love and passion is great, but it reminds me of New Zealand’s love for rugby. Not particularly good at any other team sport, so they only have a single thing to cheer for, therefore they get emotionally more involved.

• Dunboyne MikCanadian says:

The All Blacks aren’t unbeatable, but they are truly dominant are to world rugby what Canada once was to hockey. The parallels are good ones.

• frontenac1 says:

My son played high school rugby. He even went down to Washington DC for a tourney. He loved it.
            Looked like organized chaos to me, but the boys were passionate about it.

49. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

As a Habs fan I start to wonder if perhaps my team is a Stanley Cup Contender given that the best assembled team of Canadian Talent produces the exact same negative About Whatever Night or Afternoon as my Habs team produces.

What I learn from this is that perhaps the crowd here does indeed love negativity and the Headmaster never fails to provide.

Who would have thought that deflection 2 feet from the net proved Price was brutal as displayed in the summary…..

Wow, I wonder what team would ever meet the expectations required here…..

Perhaps indeed a fight was needed, whodathunk it.

• L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

You gotta admit though, the headmaster was “fair” in pointing out it was a deflection, after all. ;)

• JohninTruro says:

Tough deflection off of the guys glove and in, tough to call the goal brutal. Did Price look strong on comfortable? No. But when has a Canadian goalie ever look strong in that type of game where he doesn’t get a shot for 10-12 or 15 minutes at a time with that type of pressure. He played as good as he needed to, to maintain his standing.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I thought Price was good, the whole team was tight. I will never cease to be amazed at the expectations presented here.

• JohninTruro says:

Fans tensions are high, and so are expectations. Gold or bust. It doesn’t help when you see the US, Fins, or Russians dominate against their weaker competition. Don’t we always start slow? We just have to get better every game, that’s what matters.

• habcertain says:

the 1976/77 team, 60-8-12, who could complain?

50. durocher says:

What would it take to get Stastny from Colorado? I think Pacioretty would reach another level playing with him.

DD is playing well, but he’s not a #1 center on any truly competitive team.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Olympic break.

• SlovakHab is not impressed after game 1 says:

True that. Pacioretty – Stastny combo would be pretty damn good.
      But I don’t think that a package of DD, Borque and Leblanc would do it…

Although we have seen Toronto obtain Phaneuf for 3 spare parts, and JVR for Schenn, so you never know… Man, those trades were steals for the Leafs.

• Chris says:

Stastny is UFA at the end of this season, and he is unlikely to be back in Colorado because they have to find ice time for Duchene and MacKinnon.

But he isn’t coming cheap: he’s got a cap hit of $6.6 M, and I don’t see him going cheaper on the next deal.

51. Chris says:

I think I may have to lay low with this avatar given the nationalistic fervour sweeping through HI/O. :)

For the record, I’m cheering for Russia in this tournament as I think a Russian victory on home ice would be the best result for international hockey. Hockey is facing a decline in Russia, but a gold medal victory (especially if they can knock off Canada) would be a pretty big boost!

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Good to see your Nationalistic Pride knows no bounds.

• Chris says:

I always found nationalistic pride rather silly, personally.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

As a child of two parents who both found freedom in the Arms of Canada I find it far from silly. I find it to be a wonderful outlet to express my thanks to a Country who provided an absolute wonderful backdrop from which they could raise their family.

Perhaps I am trite in believing it this way, but being raised in a family who lost the majority of their families to war and what Canada meant to them, I find it very very easy to become extremely nationalistic.

In fact I remember once as child cheering for Germany in an event only to have my father correct me that I was indeed Canadian, despite what his birth certificate said.

• Mr. Biter says:

Always cheer for Canada except for the World Cup where I Cheer for the “Fatherland”. And with the state of men’s soccer in Canada don’t think I have to worry about a Germany/Canada match-up in my life time.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

CHeers Biter!

• Chris says:

I am the son of an immigrant myself. My father was adamant that we could not refer to ourselves as Danish-Canadians: he chose to be Canadian. He never spoke Danish in our house, and didn’t teach any of his kids the language. He absolutely detested the number of hyphenated-Canadians, but that is a different rant.

I couldn’t care less where an athlete comes from. I have no problem cheering for Usain Bolt because he is an awe-inspiring athlete. I will always cheer for Roger Federer because I admire his style of play. I count Johan-Olav Koss and Clara Hughes as sporting heroes, and I couldn’t care less that one is Canadian and one is Norwegian. I was ecstatic to see 40 year old Ole-Einar Bjorndahlen win a gold medal because let’s be honest…a 40 year old should not be winning gold medals in a physically gruelling sport like biathlon!

The emphasis on the nation sort of goes against what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Celebrate the pinnacle of human athletic performance, not which countries win the most medals. I have always loved the Winter Olympics…my room as a kid was wallpapered with newspaper photographs of various athletes: some were Canadian, many were not. My “book” for Young Author’s Day in Grade 5 was all about the Calgary Olympics.

I just hate the pressure that goes on these athletes to “represent their country”. Just let them do their best and enjoy the performances, regardless of nation.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I guess I just find it easier to say I Am Canadian, and therefore I am Cheering for Canada not Russia.

• Tell a soldier that national pride is silly and see where that would lead. I laugh at all those who take their freedom for granted.

Reminds me of all the people who were against going to fight in Europe, and Korea during the wars. I’ll never understand those people and feel proud I’m not like them.

Whoa where’d that come from? :lol:

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• frontenac1 says:

@shane. Amen amigo! Amen.

• Chris says:

That you correlate a lack of nationalistic pride with taking freedom for granted is a pretty irrational leap. Some people in this world do the right thing because it is simply the right thing, not out of some strong sense of nationalistic pride. You don’t need to be a flag-waver to know right from wrong (sometimes it helps to be more objective, in fact) or to identify and want to stop genocide, etc.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I’m just throwing this out as a mental exercise, but do you think we’d even need soldiers if there wasn’t national pride?

• Chris says:

Doopsy: Yes, but a lot less often.

• frontenac1 says:

@chris.yah, you probably would. So, cheer for the Ruskies, it is your right in this country. That’s what our boys fight and die for.
          Have a good day.

• Chris says:

This conversation has become very entertaining.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Our guys fight and die so that Chris will cheer for the right team?

• frontenac1 says:

No. They fight for the right for all of us the freedom to do exactly what Chris is doing.Cheering for the Russians. Even if they treat their people like sh#t. I think Team Canada will have their toughest game against Russia. They are beasts in this one amigos.

• habcertain says:

there may come a time when earth is a nation of men and women, not divided countries, I hear what you mean Chris, good for you to speak up. I still want Canada to win.

• Mr. Biter says:

Sure when the Muslims take over and we are all speaking Arabic living under sharia law. Really not looking forward to that.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I’m making that gesture where one rotates one’s index finger next to one’s head, right now.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Sorry, have I missed the boat on what Putin stands for? Given the hockey gold medal is the priority medal in these Olympics, how is it that I have become irrational?

You created this conversation, you wanted to stir the pot, don’t get all pious now and pretend you are the one creating world peace. I am simply explaining why I am cheering for Canada.

For some reason you seem to often struggle cheering for Canadians.

• Chris says:

In many other countries, the hockey gold medal is largely irrelevant. For the record, the alpine downhill race has historically been the marquee event of the Winter Olympics, just as the 100 m sprint is the marquee event of the Summer Olympics.

Again, personally, I love the entire show. I’m probably most into events other than hockey because this is those athletes’ once-every-four-years time to shine. I get enough hockey, but how often do I get to watch biathlon, or cross-country ski races, or luge events in Canada?

The irrational comment was in response to Sholi’s soldier comment, not yours. Apologies if you missed the connection.

I don’t struggle to cheer for Canadians, and that is the crux of our disagreement. I simply don’t cheer exclusively for Canadians. There is a world of difference, there.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I sure hope that is Mats Naslund not Sundin.

• Chris says:

Naslund…he was my favourite player growing up. I’ve always liked smallish players.

But pre-Toronto Mats Sundin was awesome too. I hated the face-washing culture in Toronto, and Sundin got roped into that. But on international ice, Sundin was easily one of the most dominant players in history.

• frontenac1 says:

Nice try. Not buying it.

• Chris says:

International career numbers:

Mario Lemieux – 31 GP, 18 G, 42 PTS (1.35 PPG)
          Wayne Gretzky – 57 GP, 26 G, 86 PTS (1.51 PPG)
          Mats Sundin – 79 GP, 43 G, 95 PTS (1.20 PPG)
          Sergei Markarov – 145 GP, 83 G, 172 PTS (1.19 PPG)*
          Joe Sakic – 48 GP, 22 G, 41 PTS
          Steve Yzerman – 50 GP, 23 G, 50 PTS

* Makarov’s stats must be taken with a grain of salt, as they were padded out playing against non-NHL players in the Olympic tournaments before 1998. Still, his numbers in Canada Cups against the best of the best were outstanding: 22 GP, 16 G, 31 PTS (1.41 PPG)

Before people accuse Sundin of running up his stats against sub-standard players in World Championships, his numbers in Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey/Olympic tournaments: 30 GP, 18 G, 39 PTS (1.30 PPG)

Given the era he played in, where defensive hockey ruled and goal-scoring was markedly lower even at the international level, Sundin’s numbers aren’t so far off those of Lemieux who is undoubtedly one of the best international players in history. Gretzky is still out of reach, but they are padded by one huge tournament (the 1987 Canada Cup) where he and Lemieux played on the same line: 9 GP, 3 G, 21 PTS in that tournament alone. That is the most ridiculous forward line in history, 2 of the arguably the top 10 hockey players in history on the same line, one the greatest set-up man ever and the other one of the best snipers ever. That was pure gold.

Sundin did it all for Sweden: he was their captain, their top-scorer, their top faceoff man and a key penalty killer. I don’t think it is at all a stretch to put him in illustrious company based on what he accomplished in the international game.

• frontenac1 says:

Cheering for the Russians?! Are you kidding? Are you a. Canadian?

52. Mr. Biter says:

Going to Vegas next week and don’t know how many of Canada’s games I’m going to get to see. With NBC having the US rights they’ll show the full USA games. Hopefully the Casino Betting Rooms can get a feed for the Canada games. But 9A.M. starting times is going to hurt.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

53. adadi says:

Definite miscommunication on the Norway goal, but Price should gave made that stop anyways. Like usual Mikey’s right. Top goaler has yet to be earned.

I’m going to try this one more time, just because I’m Irish and stubborn.

As I mentioned earlier in the day, I was pretty disappointed that (in my view) Canada laid an egg today by playing a lacklustre 3-1 win over Norway. I guess I was about the only person on the site that felt that way. When it’s all said and done, a win is a win and Norway certainly deserves full marks for their performance.

However, goal differential can play a role in the seeding of the Olympics. There are basically four teams that really don’t belong in this tournament and two of them are in our division. That should be a plus for TC. I just feel that Canada missed an opportunity to seize on the GD situation by going just +2 against Norway. I’d have to check but I think Finland is +4 and the US is +6.

Tomorrow’s action should give us a better indication of how that might factor into the playoff seedings.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Wrong stereotype. I think its the Scots that are meant to be stubborn.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

If the team wins all its games, the score means nothing. Norway played their hearts out, Norway didn’t play to win but rather to limit the goal differential.

I would venture to guess that no country in hockey illicits the same effort as playing against Canada.

Don’t get me wrong, the team could have, should have scored more goals. But the team played hard and didn’t lose. As long as a team doesn’t lose and continues to play hard, I can get behind that.

GO Canada GO!

55. habs001 says:

Reality of the game was that Canada played this like a no hit all star game…basically all the physicality and hitting was done by Norway..But in the big picture which lot of the posters are missing it would have been nice that Canada won 7-1 or more because it is very important to have the best record of the top 4 bye teams so when the remaining 8 teams play in the qualifying round to get to the quarter finals the weakest ranked team from that group would be the opponent of the highest ranked bye team in the quarter finals…

56. A Mari Usque Ad Mare says:

Excited to see PK join the ranks tomorrow. I still think he will work his way into a steady position, especially if they seem to be struggling to score.

He seemed to lose a bit of steam in Jan-Feb. I am hoping he performs well and comes back with tonnes of confidence, Price too.

Triple low five!

57. adadi says:

Too cocky today. That’s why Toews would have been a better C. Sidney and the Pens show this type of play every playoff. Let’s hope they figure it out for tomorrow. If anyone can it’s Babs.

58. Man Dingga says:

I think Mr. Boone was smoking some of the “green” before watching the game today. The goal on Price was a deflection and to boot it was blown coverage by the defenceman. Price looked comfortable and confident. Game 2 is tomorrow and I’m looking forward to seeing PK get his chance. Go Canada Go!

A point of clarification – How come Mike Boone’s HI/O live blog isn’t following the usual Hab format? Why isn’t it shown here on the site like all the other live blogs throughout the season?

60. frontenac1 says:

I thought those Vikings gave a good a showing today. Canada better get their shit together. The Russians are Coming!
    Hey Norman,they’re opening up the Bar!

61. ThatGuyRaphaelThatSnuckIntoPracticeAndTookShotsOnTheodore says:

Testing!

Is there no limit to name size?!!

62. JUST ME says:

Strange how we look at the same game but see a different angle. Some were expecting great things today, i wasn`t. I knew it would be a borderline boring game with Canada fine tuning many things and Norway giving it their best wich they both did.

Totally disagree with Boone about Price looking uncomfortable in nets. He got beaten once on a deflected puck and stopped the rest wich came in bunches or not at all. Nothing more difficult than having to be in goal for a 20 shots total game. I though he looked at ease as cool as usual and in total control.

Prepare for the same tomorrow with maybe more goals by Canada. Of course ! P.K. will play !

• But why did you think it would be boring?

I expected a blowout, and after watching TUSA, I thought for sure Canada would walk all over the Norwegians. But instead they looked liek a team who couldn’t figure out how to beat a hard working team with no attack force.

I never go into a game thinking it’s won, but in this case, where in over 40 years of play Norway has scored a whopping 3 goals against us and haven’t scored on Canada since 1984 :lol:

Kane and Kessel looked like All Stars and Crosby and Toews looked good. Good is not what the country is looking for.

But hey I expect the best out of my million dollar athletes, and I never settle for good enough when you can be better.

That was a frustrating game, and they better have their crap together for tomorrow or the Austrians are gonna score some goals.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• JUST ME says:

Of course i also did expect more goals from Canada but Haugen ,Norway`s goaler made key saves preventing the flood gates to open.

They did lack the finishing touch or the killer instinct but still there was never any doubts. People want to toss them aside but things like jet lag , ice surface and new team mates in a game situation does make a difference .
        Yes you could see it coming because they were picked in a weak pool and got to meet weak opponents from the get go. Canada did what they had to do to win and as much as one could expect more from millionaires as you say ,it was not a first today and money has nothing to do with olympics …or does it ?

63. Dave Jones says:

Ya, I’m ready to see Crosby and Duchene on a line together. The speed alone! Kunitz or Carter or St. Louis (or Tavares perhaps; if you’re not going to play him at centre, maybe he can play with Sid).

It’s amazing how one injury to a stacked roster nonetheless ripples through the line up. This is a different team with Crosby and Carter on your top line, than with Crosby and STAMKOS. Ah well.

Subban and Duchene both bring speed tomorrow. I hope they both stay on the regular roster.

64. Bald Canadensis says:

I’m channeling Timo today. I thought the team played pretty unenthusiastically. Put it down to still being miffed about PK. :)

65. Wintercount says:

Duchene on the wing with Sid would be dynamite. Make that happen, Mike!

66. DoopsyDiddler says:

Team USA will shred us. The game has passed us by.

or

Relax, this was like the first game of training camp.

?

67. mark-ID says:

I missed the third period but managed to listen to it on the radio at work. LIstening to the goal on Canada…..it sounded as if he passed the puck right to Norway and they scored on an empty net. All the Leafs, Bruins and Sens fans started going on about how Price will choke again.

Now, I finally got to watch the goal……and it wasn’t at all what I was expecting. I mean, what was Piertrangelo doing on that play? He just stopped skating and the Norweigen beat him to the puck. I’m going to chalk this up as the players and Price not being able to read each other just yet.

Otherwise Price made the saves he needed to make. The Canadians gave opportunity to the Norweigens but Price shut the door. Hopefully the coaching staff doesn’t look at this game thinking Price isn’t ready.

• Dave Jones says:

I’m pretty confident Price is the guy in the coaches’ minds. But as Boone said, he didn’t lock it down (I think for a lack of opportunity–how do you impress anyone as a goalie playing against Norway?). Still, barring Canada playing poorly tomorrow and needing huge saves from Luongo, I’d be very surprised if Price wasn’t in net against Finland. And if he’s as good as he can be then, he’ll be the guy.

68. Shiram.ca says:

That Norway player looks like he is shredding an awesome solo on his air guitar.

69. habsguru IS CANADIAN says: