About this afternoon … with audio

Tomas-Kaberle
New Canadien Tomas Kaberle takes a shot during Saturday’s pregame warmup.
Andy Marlin, NHLI via Getty Images
If your Montreal Canadiens manage to turn around their disappointing-to-date season, will we look back to this as the turning point?
Carey Price, who has struggled in shootouts this season, stopped a penalty shot by Zach Parise, who is 6-for-7 in shootouts.
In doing so, Price – who was great again in making 28 saves – bailed out his buddy Josh Gorges.
And isn’t about time we acknowledged that Pierre Gauthier is a genius?

OK, I was kidding about that last part.

But with everybody and his uncle second-guessing the trade, Tomas Kaberle brought a struggling power-play to life.

And he matched the two assists Jaro Spacek had for Carolina Friday night.

Moreover, Kaberle formed a decent defence pairing with Alexei Emelin, the duo that RDS’s Chantal Machabée has nicknamed “Ka-boom!”

I’m listening to Gaston Therrien on L’Antichambre predicting that if Kaberle can elevate the PP from terrible to decent, the Canadiens will make the playoffs.

We’ll see.

And to Kaberle’s critics – and I’m one of ‘em – who says “hey, it’s only one game”, François Gagnon has this:

“Would you be saying that if he’d played a bad game?”

So for now, let’s suspend concerns about how well Kaberle will be playing in 2013-’14, the last year of hi contract.

The ex-Leaf./ex-Bruin/ex-Hurricane knows how to play the point on the power-play. Kaberle gains the zone, walks the blueline, makes smart passes, doesn’t panic, opens up P.K. Subban for shots on the other point …

What’s not to like?

And with Chris Campoli ready to play, the Canadiens have extra bodies on D as they await the return of Andrei Markov.

Barring injury, it could be a while until we see Yannick Weber back there again.

I’m an Emelin guy. His game against New Jersey was a microcosm of the Russian Bear’s season: Rough start, largely attributable to being moved to the right side to play with Kaberle, but he got better as the game progressed.

Will Emelin or Raphael Diaz – who took a late penalty in a one-goal game – sit for Campoli?

Will Gauthier make another deal … perhaps for someone who could add some sand to one of the softest fourth lines in the league?

The picture up front is clearer. Brian Gionta may be out a while, but there is some depth.

The Two and a Half Men line was superb in New Jersey. Jacques Martin must resist his inclination to tinker and leave Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty on the wings with the brilliant David Desharnais, who was a mind-blowing 14-4 on faceoffs against the Devils.

The Lars Eller line, with Travis Moen and Louis Leblanc today, is drawing defensive assignments: against Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk in New Jersey, against the Sedin twins and SAlex Burrows when Vancouver was at the Bell Centre.

Eller is also gaining penalty-kill experience (1:50 against NJ), and this will make him a complete player and an asset to the team for years to come.

Now we come to the headache.

With Gionta out, Andrei Kostitsyn was moved to the Tomas Plekanec line against the Devils.

Now, just to astonish members of the Commentariat who think I pick on AK46, I think he played a solid game.

Pleks was 8-11 on draws, great on the P.K. and tried to make plays for his revolving-door linemates.

But what the heck is going on with Mike Cammalleri?

He’s not scoring. He’s not helping the PP. He’s a liability in the defensive zone.

Is Cammalleri pouting because he’s been moved off the DD line?

Is his confidence wavering?

The picture will become clearer as the Canadiens play three home games against the Islanders, Flyers and Devils.

Gionta won’t play during the homestand, which means Louis Leblanc will stay around for a while.

And we’ll see the lines that played against New Jersey … at least until the Islanders open the scoring Tuesday night.

Safest prediction: Tomas Kaberle will be on the power play.

Pending Saturday night action, the Canadiens have scaled the dizzying heights of ninth place.

They have as many points – 31 – as eighth-place Washington, but the Caps have played fewer games.

Grab the Gravol: the roller-coaster ride continues.

•  •  •

The loss dropped Martin Brodeur’s record against the Canadiens to 40-18-5.

We’re stripping him of the coveted F.

1. habstrinifan says:

So what do you folks think?

Loius LeBlanc is staying up.

Seems to be getting pretty comfortable in the lineup?

• DearyLeary says:

I would rather see him play big minutes in Hamilton at this point. I don’t see him developing to his full potential if he’s playing 11 minutes a game (let alone the games where JM plays him 4-5 minutes).

• vegas says:

don’t think so, don’t forget we have 3 starters out in Gionta, Gomez and White, and right now the only way they can keep Webber is if they play him 4th line right wing. There will be a lot of traffic in the upcomin weeks

2. Marc10 says:

Hey Kabi did the job. Props to him.

I still don’t rate our chances given our size and grit issues… But I think Kabi will probably work out like Eric Weinrich or Jeff Hackett or Wiz did, ie, a pleasant surprise who makes a solid contribution.

3. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Just to revisit an earlier post…. if anyone would resist trading Subban for Shea Weber, they are nuts (cap challenge aside). PK will not be better than Shea. He scores, he’s physical, and he is BIG. I love PK, but you’re trading a a “could-be” superstar for a BONAFIDE superstar in that deal.
    I LOVE PK, liked him before he ever played in the NHL. But if you don’t think this team is better with Shea than PK, I would have to respectfully disagree verrrry strongly. Even tho I said you would be nuts. :)

• Bill says:

The issue with Weber is he’s UFA after next year and I wouldn’t be confident about retaining him … he’s definitely better than Subban, but in another way, six more years of Subban is better than two years of Weber.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

True, I should qualify this idea by saying they should request permission to negotiate a contract extension first.

Edit: Also, to probably bolster your position, Weber is a RFA after THIS season. But I honestly think he makes this team a contender if we can add one more forward. Worse comes to worst tho, we can get something back if we cant sign him because if is an RFA. I dont see much of a downside unless Subban becomes another Serge Savard.

• Prairienewf says:

PK and take your pick for Shea Weber. Heck, we’ll even throw in Gone-mez.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that Shea Weber for P.K. Subban would be a great trade for us, even with all the throw-ins we’d have to add on. As you state, we’d be getting an All-Star for a potential All-Star, a sure thing for someone who shows promise but has flaws and quirks in his game. Also, Shea Weber brings size and a mean streak, something which we don’t have in our current group and for the foreseeable future. Whereas Mr. Subban’s skillset is somewhat limited, Mr. Weber has all the tools, he’s plug and play, you put him on the ice in all situations and he will deliver.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

4. Mondou6 says:

I’m not crazy about Kaberle because of the 3 year commitment.

To those who say, “We didn’t give up anything to get him!” I’d say, yeah, we gave up cap space for 3 years. Why would a team with no reasonable chance to win the Cup throw away cap space for 3 years?

But whatever…It’s all just window dressing at this point. We’re a .500 team, and have been for the past few years. .500 teams can get into the playoffs, and steal a series or two, but to think that our mediocre, league average team can win the Cup is not realistic.

I like to watch the games, it’s an entertaining pastime. We will win some games, like tonight, Yay! But I don’t delude myself that we’re a contender for anything other than the 8th playoff spot.

Compared to us, Nashville has more points in fewer games, and is -3 GF/GA, same as us. Anyone think that Nashville is going to win the Cup this year? Of course not, that’s ridiculous. They are mediocre, middle of the pack, also-rans, cannon fodder for the top teams.

Nashville may make the playoffs, and we may make the playoffs. If you’re just happy watching the regular season, and hoping for a 8th seed playoff berth, then great. This is the team for you. Year after year, that’s what they offer.

• Trisomy 21 says:

You should talk to Andrew Berkshire, he thinks we’re a top 5 team because we have an awesome fenwick.

• SmartDog says:

>Why would a team with no reasonable chance to win the Cup throw >away cap space for 3 years?

To gamble that we might make the playoffs and playoff revenues for Molson. That’s it, that’s all. And it’s the story of why we’re mediocre… for the last 7-8 years even when playoff chances were slim we’d make trades that weaken us long term to try to grab 8th seed. It’s not talked about enough that we do this. It’s patently obvious and a black mark on the franchise.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habstrinifan says:

Forgot the poster’s name but he gave a good perspective on the Kaberle contract/term.

Essentially he reminded us that most of our defensemen are not signed beyond this year and would be cut loose… like Gill and Campoli.

He gave better details than I can right now.

• Bill says:

About the cap space. Thing is, it’s gonna get filled, one way or another. So what are they gonna spend it on? Players. Would you concur that a mobile, puck-moving D-man who can run a powerplay is the kind of player the team should pay for? And would you concede that 4.25 million per is a reasonable cap hit for said player? And would you further allow that two more years after this one is not brutal term, considering the player is only 33 right now?

Or, whom would you get instead? And don’t say Shea Weber … that’s just dreaming. Be realistic.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• athanor says:

Well, he had a three-year commitment with Carolina, and now he is with Montreal. If he doesn’t provide what Montreal expects, he can be moved.

If he’s here for the full three years, I would expect that he is providing just what the team needs.

5. SmartDog says:

Think we could get one decent young, physical forward back for Gomez, Gionta, and Weber?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Once Calgary bottoms out again, I think we could get René Bourque, but might have to keep Gomez… ick. And yeah, hes not that young, but hes in his early prime.

• JIMVINNY says:

Not since Mike Milbury got fired…

• Bill says:

Haha, not sure how many teams have, what, 13 million in cap space they want to fill. If they’ve got the cap space, they’re probably unable to spend more. Hypothetically, though, you just unloaded Gomez, which is awesome. If I had to throw in Gionta and Weber to do it, I would.

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. The Juice says:

Still undefeated in regulation in December…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

7. hirky says:

I’d love to see JM just stick with somethings that actually work, and keep the players happy. I say the line-up should be this…
    Cammalleri-Pleks-Leblanc
    Cole-DD-Patch
    AK46-Eller-Moen
    Darche-Noks-Weber

This give Cammy the best chance at success, while giving Leblanc some great linemates. Leblanc is a great fwd and is being wasted in the 4th line role IMO. Lines 2 & 3 have clicked well together as I have them…and Line 4 is just the rest of the clan. With the guys injured we dont have much choice. I actually think Weber could be a decent FWD, he works hard and is fairly speedy. I would love to see him fly down the wing and let a howitzer go and bulge the twine.

AS for the D….
    PK-Gorges
    Emelin-Kaberle
    Campoli-Gill

I think Emelin has to stay and Diaz could be destined for Hamilton. Markov when he returns throws another wrinkle in. I see a possible trade in the works once everyone is healthy. Weber would be expendable once Gio and Gomez come back to fill a spot taken by Weber. With no room for him on the backend once all hands are on deck it would not surprise me to see him go the way of Chipchura and Maxwell.

8. GUNKA DIN says:

I am gonna tell you I told you so when Kaberle shows what he can do, the same way that enigma Frank Maholovitch did when the Leafs gave up on him..

The secret reason for my optimism?

He has a really short stick. What other Hab played with a short stick?

Ask Carbo.

see my blog at http://noroomatthedump.blogspot.com/

9. Danno says:

Chara hurt his knee in tonight’s game against Columbus

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. Tharsis says:

Nice outcome this evening for the other games…

Winnipeg, Ottawa, Tampa, Buffalo all lose in regulation.

Good to see Kaberle have a good game, he gives the PP a much needed boost, if the habs can get their PP% up they will have a much more favorable 2nd half of the season. I love the sound of the Ka-Boom pairing, here’s hoping that the name is justified!

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

11. sane hockey fan says:

Vancouver just put on a clinic on how to play with a lead in the 3rd period…Man I wish the Habs played that way…

12. Trisomy 21 says:

I think some of us need to cut Cammalleri a break, he’s not doing that bad. The man is probably getting 4 hours of sleep a night at home from his newborn. I’m sure soon enough he’ll get to sleep through the night. In light of this, take Bryzgalov’s advice:

You only need to watch the first 10 seconds

Cammy’s bouncing back anyways.

13. Rainrocket16 says:

Boone!! No way in hell do we strip Brodeur of the “F” that stays forever!

14. Le Jadester says:

As always, thanks Mr. Boone for providing this forum so fans like myself can share their 0.02 $ – But yes it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that you always pick on AK 46. And after all this time in Montreal, he still doesn’t get the ‘spect which he deserves IMO.

Kaberle ran the PP quite well. The Goat is looking good 1 game in.

Cole is becoming my favourite Hab right now.

I really like Pleks, AK, Patches, DD, Louie, PK, Price, Emelin (just off the top of my head) cause they are our homegrown/picked players. I would never want to see them leave to become successful in other organizations (i.e. Streit, SK etc.).
    That’s why I wouldn’t be bothered if guys like Cammy, Gio and Gomez (the latter will probably never happen) were traded because they are Devils or Kings to me and are hired guns. I realize every team needs a couple of them, but I would prefer something else if available options exist. Even if it means not winning the Cup this year (kidding, but I won’t complain if we do) and having to wait another year or two.

And that’s why I would never trade PK straight up for Weber (even though I think Weber is better IMO, and I read it below somewhere) cause we drafted him. I don’t have a problem sayin’ I’ can be a blind loyalist in this regard.

Habs, OLE !

• The Juice says:

Jadester! Long time since our call centre days buddy ;) Agree with you on many points. Cole has an amazing acceleration and the ability to maintain top speed from his own blue line all the way to the other end. Gets my attention everytime he picks up the puck. Would also like to see AK46 in the next shootout.

Peace!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Bripro says:

But there’s the key point. “Everytime he picks up the puck”.
        He gets so excited and pumped that he often over-skates it.

• Say Ash says:

You think his injury makes him a little more afraid to look down for it?

• Bripro says:

No. Not at all. He doesn’t seem to be afraid of much. He’s a beast!
            All I’m saying is sometimes the puck is coming, and I don’t know if he miss judges the speed of it or what, but he takes off and often has to reach back to preserve it, or loses it altogether.
            Not all the time, but watch for it. You’ll see him do it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think we need to accept that Erik, with all the skills he has and as hard as he plays, is not a sniper or a skills guy. He’s a bull in a china shop who’ll skate all game and bowl people over, has a decent shot, but is not a 35-40 goals a season winger. He’s been a 30 and 29 goal scorer, that should be our top-end expectation for him. That’s still not bad at all.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

15. Clay says:

Well, they certainly did everything in their power to blow that game, but eked it out in the end. Nice to see Kaberle have a good first game – here’s to many more.

To those of you who think Kaberle on the books causes cap problems for the team, I say great! This might just be the catalyst that forces their hand on Gomez, and sees him playing in Hamilton :D

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

Michigan just took the lead on the Spartans 3-2 6 mins left in 3rd. Have to admit I haven’t watched alot of US College Hockey, but there is some real skill playing. There is a Chelios playing for Mich. St. have to check out if that is son of Chris Chelios. No points for Pateryn or Bennett.

17. Lix says:

That Cammalleri that’s struggling so badly, is that the same Cammelleri that came within inches of having 2 goals today as he drilled 2 pucks off the posts?

On a side note, I’m an english speaking Ontarian Hab fan, but I had to turn to RDS to watch the game after Biased Bob Cole called the first shot drilled off the post an unsuccessful pass from Cammy.

18. AceMagnum says:

The refs name was Dean Martin, so I guess the other ref was Jerry Lewis!

I just thought that one up all by myself I swear 

@JohnBellyfull, I was going to respond but I am using the IPad tonight and my Apple Education is not high enough to include asteriks, or emoticons, and it takes too long to type to include my resume, so I guess I am done now.

• Neutral says:

what ever works – I’d like to see!

max-pac and ak with pleks
      cammy and cole with DD
      moen and Gionta with Leblanc
      Darche and Nokelainen with Eller

• Bripro says:

Nice cop out, Gerry! You don’t have to add your signature or any of your previous qualifications.
      I’m just not bothering. Too long. Too lazy. Too tired. Sorry John!

20. Mats26 says:

how about a 4th line of gomez, gionta, and white?

• HabinNorth says:

This is my first posting and I have to say that there are some knowledgable people commenting here. There are also a lot of comments made based on what happened today.

Kaberle was acquired for Spacek. Forgetting the money, if this had been a deadline deal, everyone would be creaming there shorts. This guy was obtained last year for a first round draft pick. He has a bad start with Carolina so he cannot be judged by that. Give hime some time before making a judgement on what he can do as a Hab. If he performs at 75% of his past he is certainly a major upgrade on Spacek. This trade has the potential to be and even greater steal than the Wis deal. This edition of the Habs is not far off a playoff spot playing with 4 D men that are basiscally rookies. An improvement in the powerplay moves them to the middle of the pack. They know how to play defense so anything can happen.

21. Stev.R says:

Two things, first of all not everyone was wrong when you say we were all complaining about the trade. There was a few of us that saw how good this trade really is.

Secondly, for all of you that our concerned about how we are going to sign Price, Subban, and Gorges, I crunched the numbers and all we have to do is lose the Gomez contract. If we sign a 4th line guy for 1m, and bring up 1 or 2 entry level contracts for our third and fourth line, we’ll be able to resign Kostitsyn too and have money to spare.

My work: http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/nightryder_2007/Habs.jpg

So relax guys. It’s a pretty easy situation to fix.

22. JohnBellyful says:

I think the commentary on this site could improve and the discourse wouldn’t be as discordant if a few ground rules were laid out:

1. – All assertions presented as fact must be accompanied by footnotes (represented by an *)

2. – All statements presented as analysis must include at the end in brackets the ‘expert’s’ level of education, coaching or managerial awards, acquired wisdom in matters related to the subject, and testimonials from bar mates

3. – Anything said with humourous intent must be so identified by the appropriate emoticon in numbers that indicate the amount of laughter you believe the witticism deserves. If the remark is sarcastic, please insert ✂ to indicate it’s meant to be a cutting remark.

Okay, there you have it. Feel free to add a few more. I’ll run them by the groundsruleskeeper.

What’s that, what would a post look like with these rules? Well, something like this …

Okay, so JM has coached more than a 1,000 games, Big deal. Has he ever won the Cup? NO!! *
    Montreal should fire JM cuz he’s such a jerk (BA liberal arts, 13 years road hockey, six years pond hockey, three years industrial league hockey (no bodychecking), 21-year subscriber to The Hockey News, “He knows his stuff.” – Bob, Jack down at the Lonely Moose).
    JM is so crappy we should call him BM! :) :) :)

*www.nhl.com

As you can see, a cogent argument has been strengthened by the judicious use of supporting evidence and contextual enhancement, making it difficult if not impossible to rebut what the poster has posted.

With these rules in place, HIO will turn into one heckuva swell place to visit.

23. Castor says:

Yeah they win. But it’s same old same JM.
    If your goalie isn’t superb you’re not winning the game. Relying on Carey every single night is going to tire him out.

JM has got to go.

24. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good game, good win and a good debut by Kaberle.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

25. mrhabby says:

Team MVP this year will be Carey Price once again…hope he asks for the world when his contract comes up…the kid deserves lots of coin.

26. Hab-Q says:

ka-BEAR-la is a top 4 d-man.
    When Markov returns we have 3 offensive d-men in Kaberle, Markov and PK.
    Additionally we have 3 stay at home dmen in Gorges, Emilin and Gill.

Thats our top 6.

Pairing them up may take a little fine-tuning.

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

• Count Jacques-youlahHHH says:

dont forget about campoli.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• Hab-Q says:

Campoli is obsolete. He was only signed because of the injuries in September and then ironically he gets injured.

I’d keep him til Markov is back then deal him at the deadline.

______________________________________________________
        “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

• JIMVINNY says:

Put Gorges and as the main shutdown pairing. PK and Kabs can light it up offensively, and Markov Emelin will be good at everything.

27. Bill says:

Habs were lucky to win this one. Great game by Price, even if the goal was a little weak.

Nice start for Kaberle, who had the outrage of HIO Nation to deal with. All you guys will have to wait at least another game to release your prepared statements about how crappy he is.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• boonie says:

We have three possible outcomes with kaberle:

1. He sucks and we’re saddled with his contract for two more years, with a lottery pick as consolation
      2. He improves our PP and offensive production enough to make the playoffs. We have the contract and no lottery pick
      3. He plays like Wiz or his former all star self and vaults us into elite class. No lottery pick but happy results.

1 or 2 are clearly the most likely outcomes. Neither of which begin the rebuild. On the other hand, spacek may have fetched a prospect or a pick from a cup contender at the deadline and the future begins sooner.

Unquestionably, kaberle is a talent (or has been, prior to Boston). He’s easily better than spacek.

Doesn’t mean it’s a good trade.

• showey47 says:

I don’t think spacek would have fetched us anything more then a mid to late round pick. Gill or gorges on the other hand would land us something much better. This is the kind of trade that works for both teams. Rutherford knows his season is pretty much done so he dumps a contract who was struggling for a vet dman in the last year in his contract who he will probably flip at the deadline.

We get an offensive dman who should help our PP,taking some of the burden off Subban. Who can play top 4 minutes and has been pretty durable over his career.

Not sure if any of you folks get the BigTen Network, but they are televising Michigan vs. Michigan St. hockey. 2-1 MSU right now after 1 period. Or just keep watching the Sens….

29. likehoy says:

anyone see how ugly kaberle’s suit was tonight on tsn?

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

Looks like I missed a classic. Damn. Oh well… next time.

Emelin with Kaberle makes sense. Similar how everyone anticipated a Markov Emelin pairing (and not only because of the language).

Looks like just like Gomer, Gionta is not missed either. Next Cammi and it will be time to deal the three biggest money wasters.

• Hab-Q says:

who in their right mind would take on those contracts?

we’re stuck these 3 till the end of their deals.

______________________________________________________
      “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

31. longtimehabsfan says:

All right! Any of you guys that disses Boonie is going to have to deal with me! And I mean it!!!

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

32. chemic says:

has someone noticed the habs-guy with the Claude Giroux sign in the stands? what the hell..

33. chilli says:

I really get a kick at reading some of you twits on this site. And Mike Boone, you totally lost me yesterday with your comments on Kaberle. His season of “misery” last year had the same number of points as Cammalleri and 13 more than Subban…. and we just got him for Spacek. I have many friends in the NHL. My college roommate plays for the Sabres. I am in business with a Dallas Star. I socialize regularly with NHL-ers, and player agents. Having sat down with PG and talked hockey (my favorite subject), I would say he is one of the most knowledgeable hockey guys I have ever spoken to.

He knows far more than any of you twist who were slamming Kaberle before seeing him play. As I said yesterday, we just got our best defenseman…. for Spacek.

Tre

• likehoy says:

bob gainey is that you???

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Badwich says:

Toot, toot, toot.

Taberwitt

• punkster says:

I’m insulted by this post. As a card carrying member of the HI/O Twitchy Twits Society ™ I must protest your slandering of what we believe is our god (of-your-choice) given right to make rash and irrational decisions, jump to unfounded conclusions and act like utter buffoons over any and all things Habs related.

Twits Untie!…er…UNITE!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Old Bald Bird says:

No, it’s the Twitchy Twist Society. Can’t you read?

• JohnBellyful says:

Do you guys still sell the Twitchy Twits Twists? The strawberry ones were great!
        To be honest, that was the only reason I joined, for the discounted TTT’s.
        Sorry to say, I let my society membership expire. The meetings were jam-packed but I quit going because nobody could remember Robert’s Rules of Order. Not even Robert! Now he was a twit.

• ABHabsfan says:

Hear! Hear! We pride ourselves on unfounded bias and opinions completely devoid of rational. If you actually know somebody, you can’t play our game. However, if you have to tell everyone how smart you are, well you know the rest.
        Oh, I once got in a shoving match with Lyle Odlein at Cheers, can I be cool too?

• SmartDog says:

Go Dave!!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Everlasting1 says:

You and Nahlsy claiming bragging rights after just one game? LeafNation Unite!

——————————————————————-
      “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

Kab was caught napping twice early on in the game..could have easily been -2, but Price bailed him out.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• saskhabfan says:

Thankfully we had price to make those saves.If we had any other goalie we probably would not have been so lucky. Its almost like he used the electricity of the hab fans in attendance to elevate his game,it was pyramidic like.

• boonie says:

Chilli

I’m sure PG is extraordinarily bright and as a career hockey man, i have no doubt he can spot talent better than me (and 99.9999% of fans).

Doesn’t make this a good trade.

We have three possible outcomes with kaberle:

Would appreciate your insights on this.

Thanks.

34. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I sooo hope Mike’s speculation about moving a d-man to obtain help on the 4th line turns out to be true. That has been a problem area since the days of Smolinski and Kostopoulos.

As for the lines, YES, Max Pac and Cole MUST stay with DD. That was madness splitting them up. They are one of the most dominant lines we’ve had in 3 years.

And by the way, Gionta or no Gionta, I would keep AK with Eller. In fact, I would move Cammy there also, and have Pleks play with Moen and LL. Oh, I know, critics would start braying that Pleks has been demoted, etc., etc. But this whole notion of 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines is nonsense. Pleks, Moen, and LL could create an extremely defensively reliable line. And Pleks’ creativity might allow Louis to use his offensive skills. And then you have Moen there to get dirty in the crowded areas.

Meanwhile, Gomez awaits in the wings to throw this whole discussion into a muddle.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

I am guessing that White is still a ways away from returning?

36. Habsrule1 says:

This trade Cammy stuff is beyond hilarious. By that logic, we should trade PK too.
    And we should have traded Price instead of Halak too.

Go Habs Go!!

• 365fan says:

Cammy is streaky and his confidence is low. He will turn it around. Remember his terrible finish to the 09-10 regular season after coming back from injury, only to be red hot in the playoffs. I think the power play funk really impacted him

• Badwich says:

Waddya wanna do? Play him on the fourth line? He’s a liability to the team, not an asset. Cluck, cluck, cluck,,,

Taberwitt

• likehoy says:

why do you make assumptions and causal inferences like that?? It’s like you don’t want to prove a point but just piss people off

I think Cammalleri should be traded because aside from a couple of good playoffs.. he’s not making his 6m/yr… he’s soft and it seems like he lacks heart or desire to play night in and night out.

He hasn’t been great since the first 3-4 months of his Habs career and a couple of playoffs so in my opinion, he should be given a chance to get his career back on track somewhere else, and we could use some grittier players that will show up every night.

wouldn’t mind dealing cammalleri to Calgary for Moss + Bourque. Both are big guys.. bourque and moss could give us more size, make up for cammalleri’s offense, while also providing the 4th line with more grit.

maybe even a hemsky for cammalleri deal straight up.. now that’s just because I like Hemsky.. could be fun to have hemsky and plekanec on the same line.. two czechs on the same line!

though in regards of subban and price.. the difference is subban is 22 and price was 21-22 as well in slumps.. but Cammalleri is 29, he should be in his prime.. there’s not much time to wait for cammalleri and there’s not much that he’s going to change. What you see is what you get with cammalleri and I’m not liking what we’re getting.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• CanadienBoy says:

The only players i went traded right now is Gomez and eventually Gionta and the only smurf i want is DD young and hungry

37. piper says:

I think Shero may part with MacIntyre for Weber. They don’t use him much anyway since they have England in the lineup. We could sure use scrapper of his stature, especially against the bruins. PG should make the call.

• Mark C says:

There is no way Weber would/should be traded for MacIntyre. Weber has 100 times more value.

• piper says:

i don’t imagine they’ll give him to us for anything less

• Mark C says:

Based on what? When was the last time a fringe NHL, no skill, goon was traded for a 23 year old offensive D?

Weber has more points than MacIntyre has career shots, in fewer games.

MacIntyre might be worth a 7th round pick, but not Yannick Weber.

• piper says:

My thoughts on Weber differ from yours so we’ll agree to dissagree. But I sure do miss the days of Chartraw, Kordic and Ewen.

• chemic says:

MacIntyre ??? because he is big and heavy ?

they called this guy up to protect crosby on his retourn, that was basiclly his only job this year. he has even a shot on goal once in his 6 games.

hell no!!

• Mike D says:

Wasn’t MacIntyre waived or go into the late summer as an unsigned FA or something?

I wouldn’t trade a young offensive RH Dman with a cannon and small cap hit for a plug like MacIntyre. If we want tough guy in the line-up, we can call up Blunden anytime we want.

Weber has been brutal lately and he may not have a long future with this club, but it would be best to avoid trading him at a low. Plus I still think he has potential. Remember, he’s only 22 or 23 so still lots of time to develop.

- Honestly yours

38. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Look, I like Subban, maybe even love him (as much as you can love an athlete in a completely hetero way), but I think he should be traded if you can somehow swing Shea Weber back in return. Probably would have to send a pick as well, and clear up some cap space…. wonder where that can come from.

• CanadienBoy says:

Okay Body get real PK second year second guessing him self ,Martin
      got him so scare to rush u can see the second guessing ,PK got the wheel to be a rushing D but Martin got him Screw up he will find is way ,remember PK and Price coming up together throughout the system create teams chemistry add Pac, DD ,PLack,Georges and u got guys who want to win togethers

• likehoy says:

but shea weber is amazing
        will subban ever be better than weber!?
        that’s the question

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Habsrule1 says:

No way I would do that trade. I doubt PG would either. PK is in his 2nd year and he will be a superstar in this league…better than Shea Weber.

Go Habs Go!!

39. mamacat says:

Ryan White, man..

40. sane hockey fan says:

I dont need to read your posts…i wasnt talking to you, i didint reply to you or reference you in my post…so stop being such a smart ass and at the same time why dont you keep your homophobic comments to yourself.

41. Chuck says:

Looks like we’re going to have to divert some funds away from Bellyful’s ponzi scheme to get some new shocks for the bandwagon. Or do we wait until after Tuesday’s game before investing in the suspension?

Okay, but the seats in the bandwagon can’t have armrests this time, it is really hard for everyone to jump on and off with those fricking armrests.

• JohnBellyful says:

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, don’t spoil my cover!!!I mean misconstrue my role in this laudable enterprise (No, it’s not a laudable loney!!!)
      I am just the fund handler for Bernie “Boom Boom” Riboff. It’s HIS ponzi scheme. And I’d prefer you refer to it by its rightful name, the Montreal Canadiens Riboff Fund.
      Just a reminder, Habs fans: For a modest investment of $1,000, you can help the fan bandwagon — yes, the whole famn ban danwagon!!! — be refurbished to support more team supporters. For $1,500 you can reserve a berth for long road trips!
      Send your cheques to John Bellyful, Poppa’s Gonna Get Baby New Shoes, PO Box 2346, My Town, ON YOW ZAH

42. matraque says:

I’m really tired to see all the negativity around DD here. The guy is playing excellent hockey. I’m I the only one who remember seeing him carry Jumbo Joe on his back?

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

I am not sure if you direct this at me, but I would like to respond. I am not being negative to DD, but rather stating while he is a very skilled player, a top center should/needs to be able to make his own space and be strong on the puck is all.

He is excellent with MaxPac and Cole, but players like Cammy, Gio it would help them tremendously to have a big power forward on their line. Have 3 skilled small players on one line does not work in today’s NHL on a game in game out basis.

43. DearyLeary says:

Desharnais’ job is to get his trees the puck and let them work. Very little of what he does should be considered ‘brilliant’. It’s pretty easy to look good when you’ve got the team’s two leading goal scorers on your wing.

Desy still gets knocked off the puck alarmingly easy. In the third period it was glaringly obvious that he doesn’t have the willpower to go to the net, when on a 3 on 1 he curled back to the top of the circle to try to thread a pass between what had become a 3 on 3 because of his unwillingness to go to the net.

Hell, put me on the ice, I’ll pass it to Cole and Pacioretty, will I be considered a genius too?

LMFAO @ the coveted F

45. Habsolutely says:

Cammy has a girlfiend and a child with her. Delving into his personall life is disgusting and show’s the lowbrow level of posters here. Same goes for the “I told you so” crowd.

Okay since DD has now been elevated to “brilliant” status, then lets take one of his power forwards away and put Cammy there. For now Cammy is on this team and should be our best sniper, therefore we need to get him going.

I worry that the current tinkering has damaged more lines than helped one. AK/Eller should be together still.

Love the win, love that we may suddenly have depth at the backend.

For the record, I think DD is very nifty, highly skilled/talented. I just don’t think he gets the room he needs if he doesn’t have 2 power forwards on his line. Problem is we don’t have that many to go around.

By the way, when is Gomez back we need some forwards.

• V says:

Have said it before (and attracted great derision) and will say again. I am really looking forward to Gomez (and now Gionta) getting back. I think they are both important parts on our team and we miss them. Team is much better with them both.

• Bripro says:

Sorry Gerry, but I can’t agree with you on that one.
      Cammie’s not scoring granted, but you can’t mess up the DD line.
      They’re our most productive line, and it’s because the 3 of them open up so much ice for each other.
      Pleks and AK played well today, but #13 is seriously stalled. I’ll give you that.

I am being kind of serious in my comment and kind of sarcastic. While I like what DD brings and we need that, when the team has to give him our 2 best power forwards to succeed it hurts the rest of the forward lines. That is my issue.

• When Cammalleri was with DD and Cole last week in California and early this week he was playing great, then Patches went back onto the line, and there went his play.
        Gionta also hasn’t been great with Pleky this year, which is weird, cause usually Pleky’s stellar.
        AK I felt was quite weak today, but played well the other few games this week.
        The chemistry this team builds and loses based on juggling is ridiculous.
        Personally I would try
        13/51/72
        67/14/21 (32? 71?)
        46/81/71 (32?)
        52/15/NOT WEBER.

• Bripro says:

Well, there’s no 21 for a while. They’re talking potential fracture wrist or forearm.
          So 71 will probably stay up for a while.
          But juggling the lines around could back fire, and they’d all be struggling.
          I say work around the DD line.

• i’d use the DD line to our advantage try 13 one game 67 the other etc. they both had success on it, and see if one of them can help spark pleky. but that’s just me. even though again, i hate the line juggling.

• CanadienBoy says:

Worry about AK as well ,but he is smiling a lot more

• Un Canadien errant says:

The only problem with your experiment is it wouldn’t be Mr. Desharnais that you’d hurt, but rather Mr. Cole or Mr. Pacioretty.

The proof is in the pudding, you can see how his linemates enjoy playing with him. That’s huge, right there.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• I’m sure Mr. Cole and Mr. Pacioretty would be willing to try it for a game or two. When Mr Pacioretty was suspended that’s what the Habs did, and 13/51/72 were the most dangerous line on the ice all 3 games.
        Try it again, with Mr. Pacioretty trying to spark Mr. Plekanec. Just my 2 cents.
        Ms. HabsForTheCup

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cammy played with DD when MaxPac was suspended, and that line remained very dangerous. Cole is doing better with DD than he was doing with Plex.

• CanadienBoy says:

You right about the lack of power forward ,but DD got them because he is the one who make them better and Martin know it + he win face off

47. keepthefaith says:

Trade Cammy, trade PK. You guys would just keep trading and trading and trading every time someone goes through a bad stretch. Remember when ya s wanted to trade Price too? Patience

48. AceMagnum says:

Devils players are morons. Why was that idiot New Jersey player celebrating like they scored when they were awarded a penalty shot?? What a retard. I think JM should be fired for that

49. mods: you have got to be kidding me

50. girlfriend, also read all my comments for context

51. keepthefaith says:

You guys realize other teams get loser points too right? The SO is a gimmick that could go either way. Enough with the loser point BS. We are in every game missing key players in most. You guys just love to hate. Meditate a little

52. DBag says:

What ails Cammy? That’s easy. Dirty diapers and little sleep. He’s a new father and he’s probably taking some time to enjoy his new role as a dad. Right or wrong my career took it on the chin when my first born joined the household. I took a few weeks and months to adjust to my new life and duties. Pretty surreal as am sure quite of few of you know. New dad, couple of injuries, that will show up in your game. I’m sure he’ll get his bearings and return to form….unfortunately that will be about the time that Plakanec’s new arrival starts keeping him up nights.

53. JohnBellyful says:

Judging by what’s been said the last two days on other threads, it’s getting so we might need to add a loyalty oath to the Rules of posting here. Dare to be critical or sound a note of optimism and you’re attacked from all quarters. Even rational, non-controversial opinions come under fire (someone challenged me on my saying the sale of MLSE to Rogers and Bell was the abomination of the 21st century. Can you believe it?).
    Still, I think it’s safe to say we’re united in our belief that we wish the Canadiens well, we just don’t always agree with the path that they’ve chosen.
    I suggest a third request be made of every HIO member desiring to make comment. In addition to providing a user name and password to enter the Commentarium, the poster should also affirm his or her unshakeable fealty to the Club de hockey Canadien, however mawkish or shrill the opinion expressed.
    Something like this:

“I am a dyed-in-the-wool Montreal Canadiens fan who would take a bullet – a BB pellet preferably – if it guaranteed my favouritest team would reach the pinnacle of success. Accept my views for what they are: my views.”

Are we clear? We all love the Habs.
    Okay, now handshakes all around.

I said handshakes, not headshakes.

Awww, you guys are incorrigible.

• V says:

I am trying to find something I can find offensive in your post. I can’t. Damn you.

Have not told you before (lots of others have) that I enjoy your posts here. Very well written. Thanks.

• HardHabits says:

Great post as usual JB.

If I wasn’t living in Montreal I would have a hard time justifying my fealty to this organization. As it stands, I am a dyed in the wool Montrealer. However I feel like I am in a broken relationship, that I am stuck with this club for better or worse even though I tend to look at other clubs with envy and bit of covetousness.

It’s going to take much more than one good game from Kaberle to convince me this hockey team is moving in the right direction.

• JohnBellyful says:

I know how you feel, HH. There are times I wish I hadn’t got the Habs logo tattooed on my forehead. The worst part is, the guy put the C backwards. (At half-price, can I really complain?)
        But hang in there, buddy. Keep the faith. I think we’re being tested, that’s all.

54. bleedhabs81 says:

Well, I didn’t weigh in yesterday, so take this for what you will.

I don’t hate the trade for this year. In fact, short term I think this is a great trade. We can’t score but we have good D (with Spacek not playing and JM only playing 5 D regularly). Kaberle is a bit of softy, but that is why we have Price. I am concerned for next year and how much wiggle room we have with the cap… but since I am not on the payroll I guess I shouldn’t be concerned.

I also told my wife I would reserve judgement until after I see him in the “System”… it seemed to help the Wiz.

Overall impression after game 1: Kind of drooling at what the PP is going to be once Markov gets back (if the CBC report was not a complete lie).

As for kaberle himself – I hope he grows back the Uni-brow for the Playoffs

55. Doooie86 says:

The reality of the Cammaleri “situation” is that the guy has at least 20 posts hit this year. If even half of those go in he’s got 16 goals and is leading the team by 5. Those who are expecting him to back check as effectively as Plekanec or fore check as effectively as Cole are expecting too much. The guy is a sniper, and the only thing that I can see reasonably wrong with his game is that he isn’t getting bounces. Maybe you could say his shot is off by five inches, but at the end of the day I still think he gets to 20 goals this year. Ultimately, I think probably too much was paid for him, but that off season a lot of guys got overpaid – it comes with the territory in a down free agent year. If we didn’t pay him that much, someone else was going to.

• V says:

Agree. Cammi will break out as the the rest of the team does. Patience. A few wins will get everyone rolling.

• and if you watch his games these past few weeks, his passing is tape to tape , he’s actually going for puck battles, he breaks up a lot of passes w/ his stick,and he’s playing very defensively… which is a whole other concern, but his scoring will come.
        I’m so tired of the cammalleri bashers on here.
        Watch the other things he’s been doing well, that you all ignore cause it’s not lightning the lamp red.
        He’s assisting a lot as well.
        4 pts in 4 games like 3 times this season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting point about the posts, I’ve been thinking about the same thing. What’s the percentage of posts hit per shot on net or per goal for snipers? Guys who pick the corner as opposed to just putting it on the goalie’s pads or chest must hit more posts. I wonder if there’s stats out there? I’m sure a goal-scorer hits posts more often and with greater frequency than a checker.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

56. V says:

Nice win. Great to see Kaberle get the two points. Good for him. Gets the worst fans off his back for a few games.

I see below some people complaining about Boone. Honestly, this is his house and guests should know better than to insult their host. If you don’t like him, no one is forcing you to be here.

• V says:

I am sure if the Gazette has a problem with Boone, he hears about it. I don’t see a problem with him expressing his opinions one way or the other. Sometimes I don’t agree. I write something and move on.

I have even enjoyed his alleged shots at Christians, but that was a topic on a thread that got yanked, so not going there again.

• patience is a virtue says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stubbs and him did have a chat about it actually. There were some pretty pissed off posters yesterday.

It’s just not worth getting into here really. It would be like being pro- or anti-segregation in the U.S. during the civil rights movement in the 1960s and saying African Americans should or shouldn’t be allowed to ride at the front of the bus like white folks.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion about a highly controversial and politically charged topic (where lives are at stake), but a hockey blogger’s/professional hockey journalist’s job isn’t to make wise cracks on one side of the issue.

• Favorite Son says:

Haven’t they told you? Anything goes on the Internet.

57. Lafrich says:

For the most part, Cammalleri has stunk since he joined the Habs. He has had excellent playoffs (for some odd reason), but generally he stinks. Soft passes, can’t win a battle on the boards, and now he isn’t even scoring at a goal every 3 games. I think it is time to trade him while some teams still think he has some value.

58. whats wrong with being gay?

and i wasnt accusing him, i said my perception led me to think he was, without any pitchforks in hand i might add

59. Habsssssssswin says:

Bob Cole doing Hab games is comparable to Don Cherry endorsing IKEA !!!

60. HotHabs says:

always nice to get a W vs. NJD and Brodeur.
    Good comments, Boone.

I think Kaberle was alright, contributing offensively and helping a limping PP. He was a little weak on his man when Devils scored, but we’ll forgive and forget since we won!

PK’s game was less flamboyant today, a good thing. He’s still a liability defensively, coughing up the puck several times a game on most nights. But, he’s young and still gaining valuable experience for future success.

I agree with Cammi observation, but I think Pleks is also confused out there. I think Pleks reasons would include not having permanent wingmen. Something needs to be done there. Personally, I’d trade Cammi in a heartbeat if we could get someone stronger on the puck with an eye for the net along with some D skills – don’t ask me who cuz I haven’t thought much about it.

And, do we not have some big burly forwards on the farm who would love to stir the pot on the Habs 4th line? Weber in there just doesn’t jive…

I don’t like saying this, but the 3 game home stand will be a big test for this team. They need to regain form in Montreal.

Not much is said about coaching after a win vs. Robinson’s crew, but I’m still in the “can Martin” squad.

Happy for the 2 points, but this team is hard to watch on most nights… especially in the 3rd period!

61. habs001 says:

The habs of the last 2 years are back…at least for this game…how many games looked like this game the last 2 years…score on the pp,,play great pk..price makes the saves and hang on in the last 2 minutes while losing key draws in your zone…

62. Thomas Le Fan says:

I would trade Cammaleri ASAP for someone larger, grittier and more willing to fight for pucks. If he doesn’t score, how is that worse than squid? Don’t know what’s going on with him but he’s not the player he was and I have to think opposing coaches have him figured out.

• ABHabsfan says:

In terms of Cammy; I ahve been a big supporter for a long time but he seems to have lost his way here. I think if the Flames’ brass were contacted they may be interested because of the success he had with Iginla. I think the Habs could get Glencross or Bourgue plus a 2nd for him. That has to be a could deal for the Habs

63. rogieshan says:

Cammalleri has been pouting since early last season when he was taken off Plekanec’s line in favour of Gionta to jump start the captain’s slow start and, at the same time, Subban was stealing his thunder in media coverage and fan love. He’s a sniper who isn’t producing, arguably a more one-dimensional player than Gomez. Come next season he will be the highest-paid Hab (in actual dollars) on the team, so if he isn’t feeling the heat now, than it’s just waiting for him around the corner.

64. Eric37 says:

Thanks again for the post Mike. Always enjoy the column.

I’m hoping this game helps their confidence. With a man in the box and Parise about to take a penalty shot, the Montreal Canadiens were
    oh-so-close to blowing another one in the third.

Who didn’t expect this game to go into OT?

But Price makes a rare save on a Parise shootout attempt and Les Canadiens fight the puck out of their zone to preserve the win.

Could this game be a turning point in the season?

E.

COBERLAY is the correct way to pronounce his name according to his father today.

66. deuce6 says:

Everybody? LOL

No, not everybody…There were a few that actually liked this trade and didn’t jump off the clifff..I was one of them..That is exactly what Kaberle is known for…An elite player WITH the puck and average without it…If he can spark this PP like he did today, his shortcomings on D will be a wash…He is paired with the right partner, in Emelin…

Price out dueled Brodeur…Loved seeing that…But Martin pulled the reigns again and he almost gave away the W..Can he take a long hike and get lost, please

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

67. HabFanSince72 says:

The comedy that is H I/O second-guessing reaches another low today with several people asking why Mike Boone was “hired” to run the site, and wouldn’t it be better with someone else.

(Correct me if I’m wrong) but H I/O is essentially his baby. There are dozens of Hab sites and this is the one with the most action.

• i began to search for where these comments were said, then i stopped myself…

• Un Canadien errant says:

I didn’t read those posts, but yesterday some deluded posters were accusing Mike Boone of being guilty of biased journalism. I think they need to be reminded that Mr. Boone is a columnist (and sometimes hilarious calumnist) and is paid handsomely I’m sure to offer his opinions.

Think of Mr. Boone as one of the cranks sitting a couple of bar stools away who gets in so many good wisecracks during the game that by the third period he’s joined your group and is backslapping everyone and cheering the goals and hits and is helping himself to glasses from your pitcher. We all know that guy, and we all love him.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

68. AceMagnum says:

Fire Jacques Martin!!

But keep JM 

69. Ka-Boom started the game pretty badly but they found their stride.

70. Un Canadien errant says:

An early game for the Canadiens today, and it seemed like both teams were asleep as the game began. The Devils really started waking up after the break in the third when rink glass had to be replaced. And wake up they did, coming very close to tying the game late.

There’s not really a theme or an angle or overriding subject I can think of to focus on in this recap. The guys on l’Antichambre are riffing on Mike Cammalleri’s poor performance, and that is a bit of a concern with me as well. I’ve been trying to defend him, telling others to be patient and that he’s probably hiding an injury. Today, he hit a post on a two-on-one with Andrei Kostitsyn, and missed on a golden chance on a wide open net with Martin Brodeur out of position. The worrisome aspect is that Chantal, who has access to the dressing room and practice sessions, mentioned that he seems perturbed, and not as upbeat as he was last season. I’m still hoping that he has a couple of dings that will get better, and he’ll regain the form and confidence we need from him if we’re going to be successful.

Carey Price was his usual calm self, and showed some emotion when he stopped Zach Parisé on the penalty shot late in the game. It’s good for him and good for us that he was successful in such a situation, he’s been struggling in shootouts, and it would be great if he regained his stone-cold bravado. He certainly looked more prepared and technically sound on this attempt, as he came out to cut down the shooting angles, and retreated under control and with good balance, so that he made the save look easy, and Mr. Parisé relatively pedestrian. I’m not sure if he’s been working with Mr. Groulx, but he certainly looked more like the World Junior tournament-version of Carey Price, instead of the more recent version.

Brian Gionta was announced to be injured severely enough that he will miss all of next week. This is going to complicate matters, in that while he has not shown up on the scoresheet regularly, he works hard every game, and we don’t have a valid replacement option. It means more games for Louis Leblanc with the Grand Club, and not that I think he looks out of place, but I was really hoping that he’d get a lot of icetime in Hamilton instead of 7 minutes a game up here. This also points out how unrealistic it is to expect the Canadiens to at some point have a full, injury-free roster. Those who fret about the glut of defencemen on the team right now need only wait a game or two before someone’s hamstring goes pop or someone blocks a shot with their wrist.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

71. AceMagnum says:

Gauthier is a brilliant man.

I knew the trade would work all along. One more great trade and the cup is ours

Boy you sad whiners must feel pretty foolish on this fine day 

• Mike D says:

Yeah, cuz one game determines how good or bad a trade is, genius.

Is that you, PG, with that proclamation of brilliance? Seems a bit over-the-top, and this is coming from a guy who wrote a rather long post two days ago about the many pros of PG.

I’ll be the first to say that Kabs played well for us today, and I will be more than happy to eat my crow if the deal ends up working to our advantage…..long-term. The issue wasn’t about who is better between Spatcho and Kabs, it was about Spatch’s contract being up at the end of the year and us having an extra 3.8mil of cap room to work with. Pretty important considering the many key pieces we need to re-sign this summer. Kabs’ 4.25mil/year for 2 more seasons after this one, and the implications of said contract, is the concern.

- Honestly yours

72. P St. Pierre says:

Good comments, Boone. I liked the PP today, save for the third one, I think. Whichever one was a mess.

Cammalleri does look a bit lost right now…maybe its time for a one on one with Gainey, a la Alex Kovalev. I don’t know, but they need his 6 million dollar hands to start burying those chances.

All in all a decent game against a comparable team. Next weeks match against the Flyers will be more interesting, let alone the other two games.

73. patience is a virtue says:

One more stat: the Habs have grabbed 7/10 possible points so far in December.

Yes, it could have been more. Yes, the loser point counts, and is in fact fair compensation for a truncated OT and the ridiculousness that is the shootout. Yes, Kabs is a good PP QB (no, we are not necessarily stuck with his contract until 2014). Yes, PG is a very good GM, if not quite a genius. Yes, the Habs are going to make the playoffs, and not just in 8th place.

74. idle says:

“If your Montreal Canadiens manage to turn around their miserable-to-date season”

How has it been miserable-to-date?

It is not good enough, and has been frustrating at times, but it has been far from miserable and could have been a lot worse considering certain factors. We have such thin skin these days.

• Mike Boone says:

You’re right!
      I changed it.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• idle says:

• idle says:

By the way, I am an Argo fan, so I know what miserable looks like : )

• Favorite Son says:

Ha, I actually agree with the use of “miserable to date”. They played so far below expectations, so the expression is valid, in my opinion.

• patience is a virtue says:

Curious – what were your expectations for the pre-Markov season?

I was hoping for a bit better than .500 hockey, and a much earlier return for The General. So, we have to wait longer, and PG made the necessary move in acquiring Kabs.

• Favorite Son says:

Expectations? 2nd in the division. Not last.

• patience is a virtue says:

Pre-Markov’s return? Dreaming in technicolour. The last two seasons PG has moved to acquire a replacement for Markov. He hadn’t done so yet this season, until yesterday.

• Favorite Son says:

What are you saying? Markov IS the team?? Habs did fine without him last 2 seasons. It was time to move on and it is now more than ever.

• patience is a virtue says:

No, I’m saying that Markov is the #1 Dman and the PP QB. If he isn’t playing for an extended period he needs to be replaced (just as 1G Price, or 1C Pleks or any key player on any team would).

Last year it was the Wiz.

The year before MAB.

The year before Schneider.

This year Kabs.

I don’t expect the Habs to shine without Markov are a replacement. Some teams can soar without their star, but usually it doesn’t work out that way.

• Danno says:

The only reason it does not appear as miserable as it actually is is because we were awarded many loser points which kept us at .500 and hovering around 9th place in the conference standings

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

75. Trisomy 21 says:

he did hit a post though

76. OneTimer says: