About last night … (terse and pithy edition)

Price down and out

This is going to be the all-time short version of ALN.

What is there to say, really?

Playing the biggest game of his career, the franchise goaltender was, at best, mediocre … while the guy at the other end of the ice put on a playoff performance of Halakian brilliance.

David Desharnais, signed to a contract extension during the season, is turning into a slower, smaller Scott Gomez. In 19 minutes of ice time, including 5:11 on the power play, DD had ZERO shots on goal. And we won’t even mention he was kicked out of the faceoff circle more often than Charlie Sheen’s been thrown out of bars.

Josh Gorges and Raphael Diaz were a combined minus-5.

The Canadiens had 27 shots in the second period – in addition to 10 that were blocked by Senators and five that missed the net.

In their long and glorious history, which has featured some very good playoff teams, your Montreal Canadiens had never fired 27 SoG in 20 minutes of postseason hockey.

Never.

Not with Howie Morenz.

Not with Maurice Richard.

Not with Guy Lafleur.

But they did it with Brendan Gallagher and P.K. Subban, who played their hearts out against the Senators.

And still the Canadiens lost – because Carey Price is not Bill Durnan, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy.

After that 27-shot second-period bombardment of Craig Anderson, Ottawa scored on two of their first four shots in the third period. And that was the ballgame.

And maybe the series because in addition to their goaltending woes, the Canadiens have lost their best centre.

Eric Gryba is not Raffi Torres. The Ottawa defenceman probably will draw a suspension, but that was a classic open-ice hit of the type Scott Stevens used to deliver, sending Eric Lindros et al to La-Laland.

With Lars Eller in the hospital and Desharnais struggling, the Canadiens have a  hole at centre that 19-year-old Alex Galchenyuk will be hard-pressed to fill.

Granted, one game does not a series make.

But the Canadiens have a steep mountain to climb …. and less than 24 hours to get their poop in a group.

•  •  •

Comment of the Night, from Blondemon:

Price basically started the 3rd the way he started the 1st in most of the games during the slump. Three goals on six shots. Deflated the team faster than an air mattress shared by Oprah and Rosie O’Donnell.

• Fansincebirth says:

Initial contact is shoulder to head…Whitey got 5 games for a lesser hit. Shammy will hand out two for this to appease and call it an unfortunate play.

1. The Cat says:

Gotta go with Budaj for game 2, Price is juggling too much, not in command at all. The habs have as good a shot as anyone to make the cup finals, its time to stop worrying about the Price investment. It may alleviate the tension on Price as well.

2. Dust says:

Habs had a 5 on 3 in the 2nd period for a minute and didn’t score. That would have made the game 3 to 1. THe habs should have put the Sens away there and they didn’t.

Tonight i am going to play a drinking game where i take a shot everytime DD gets hit to the ice. Pretty sure i’m gonna puke by the end of the 1st

3. Bash says:

Haven’t read the thread but a few questions:

How do we get thrown out of the face-off so many times?

Why is is little Davey getting so much ice time? PP pr regular shift?

Why is Tinordi not getting more ice time?

WTF is going on with Ryder?

Does Pacioretty need GPS to find the net?

Why PK and Markov together?

Why am I asking so many questions?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• The Cat says:

Those are good questions, Im all for giving Tinordi more icetime. Hes done well.

• Dust says:

I like Tinordi but he seemed to struggle last night making that first pass to get the puck out of our end. I saw him turn the puck over multi times that way. I believe this is why he doesn’t get more ice time.

I know i will get eaten alive for this but i still beleive DD gets the ice time cause he is french and MB and MT want so bad to have a french star play for the canadiens

4. Maritime Ron says:

Well Carey, it’s your time
    I really really really hope Carey goes lights out, Anderson returns to being human, and we win tonight.

While one game never determines a career, has there ever been a bigger game than tonight that may go a long way in determining Price’s career and future in Montreal?
    I fear and hope there is NOT a repeat performance.
    I hope we never have to listen to
    On veut Ber-nier
    On veut Ber-nier

5. Cal says:

Yes, the Habs had 50 shots. So what? I counted only 8 scoring chances. Tons of shots from the outside and bad angles. Easy to look good in nets when the puck is shot straight at you over and over again.
    Price reminded me of his playoff against Philly in ’09. A flip from the point, a real bad 5 hole goal. The Karlsson deflection was a good goal. The last by Lats was terrible. Price has to catch that one.
    Well, I’ve said before this playoff year is all bonus and gravy. Let’s hope the Habs can win a game without Eller.

• Maritime Ron says:

Plekanec and Gionta were terrible on the Karlsson goal and both let him slip past at the blueline with lazy poke checks and never even tried to take the body or slow him down

• leehammer says:

The key for me with goaltending is not in the stats. I totally agree, who cares that we got 50+ shots, it’s not a shot-getting contest, it’s a goal scoring contest. Anderson made KEY saves at KEY times, Carey did not. The goal by Karlsson, you can’t pin it on him, but it was savable and a great goalie would have saved it. Same story on the second goal but worse. Not only is this a bad goal to let it, but it’s at a really bad time and it just deflated the entire team, they were never the same after it.

6. Danno says:

Ottawa Goalie Beats Habs – And now we wait.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Bad Digestion says:

Price is like the Olympic Stadium in the 80’s & 90’s, so much was invested into him that there’s no backing up now! It will take another couple of years before people fully accept this, his stats are at best average, he steals little to no games, and his “relaxed & calm” attitude does not match well with his mediocre play. Sens did everything perfect, injured one of our best forwards and exposed Price. Cant believe i actually felt bad for Karlsson and the Sens when that P.O.S. Cooke nearly cut his leg off. I guess empathy and hockey should not mix… I cant see any positive and why tonight will be any different. Most importantly , hope for a quick speedy healthy recovery for Lars Eller.

• Chilly Willy says:

I”ve supported & defended Price to no end. NOT anymore. It is what it is, I call a spade a spade & Price needs to go & take Markov with him!

8. Dulljerk says:

The soft 5-hole goal changes the game. The soft 5-hole will always change momentum. Those type of goals (which seem to be coming typical for Price) is the difference between being an NHL starting goaltender or a back up. Sorry MTL fans, this guy ain’t leading us to the Stanley Cup.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

9. kirkiswork says:

The only thing wrong with the hit is that it was early. Eller hadn’t touched the puck yet.
    I ‘m pretty sure that is illegal.

10. Captain aHab says:

On the Eller hit, I’m getting myself ready for no suspension. Gryba will tell Shanahan that he didn’t mean to do it just like when Lucic hit Miller. Gryba will suit up tonight. And if any Hab retaliates tonight, he’ll have the book thrown at him. But then you know what…if the players association doesn’t care a lick about its players, what can you do? If this is a clean hit – where a guy ends up in hospital – I think you have to clearly redefine what “clean” is.

My fear with Eller is that the injury will have the same effect on him than Zednik’s had on his career. Eller had really turned a corner…..

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• The Cat says:

I dont think its suspension worthy, but yeah until the players union wants softer pads and full face helmets, what can you do? Its hard to feel sorry when they wont budge cause of machismo.

11. russ2445 says:

We as Canadiens have been down this road before, when our starlayer gets hurt and the series goes out the window. Yes Price had another bad game BUT after the hit the whole team forgot how to play. You could see it coming when they had a two man advantage. With Eller gone the rest of the season which could be short the team needs to look for another Big good center. The ” G-boys ” can’t do it all. Start Price again and see if he can bounce back and if not put in “B” and see what happens.

Russell Fielding

• ooder says:

after the hit the habs put 27 shots on goal and made the sens look like an ECHL team.
      what messed up the habs was when, after finally getting the lead and dominating anderson, silverberg shot from far out and naturally it went through Price’s five hole

12. zephyr says:

price cost us the game. that 2nd soft goal deflated the team. up to that point it was all habs. all the forwards played well. the only skaters i’m concerned about are diaz & georges. they were weak.
    go with budaj. he was 9-1 with better numbers than price.
    the habs have a much better team than ottawa. they just need some half-decent goaltending.

13. leehammer says:

Really feel for Eller. He was playing incredible hockey. Really blossoming in front of our eyes into a wonderful 2-way centre.
    Just hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

14. Captain aHab says:

I’ve been a big supporter of Price and for people to chill out. But I’m sorry but the guy has to make that save on the second goal and he has to catch the puck shot from the blue line that lead to the rebound on the 4th goal. The other guys were doing everything they could to try to score on Anderson, they had at least scored once to partly avenge the hit on Eller. Price crapped the bed. He’s not 21 years old anymore and he needs to be better than this. People say Price made some outstanding saves early in the game but at least one of these saves was caused by him giving another fat and juicy rebound on a very long, and clear, shot. I think he doesn’t trust his glove hand so he tries to merely block shots and they carom all over the place.

I like him and wish him well but the sample size is beginning to be large with the equivalent of half a season in the books. He can be outstanding but he can also suck hard with his rebound control and his positioning. Need to even out the peaks and valleys a tad.

Remember when Price was drafted during Theo’s prime? Well here comes a draft.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

15. Maritime Ron says:

When Eller was hit, it brought back the same sick feeling of seeing Pacioretty on the ice.
    Hard to believe we just lost our BEST center.
    I hope he’s OK.

This was almost a horrific accident waiting to happen.
    I remember watching several times this year both Eller and Galchenyuk entering the O zone and cutting across the middle with their heads down.
    Remember thinking geez, I hope the coaching staff sees that and drills it into them that they need to better protect themselves and always be aware of where everyone is.

Some people are calling out Gryba, yet forgetting that hockey is lightening fast where instinct/reaction rules and there’s no time to plan.
    Maybe we also forget how a big tough Dman plays as it’s been so long since we had one.

Some people are calling out Diaz who has all of 82 NHL games under his belt and zero playoff experience. Maybe a little blame there.

Unfortunately, Lars put himself in a very vulnerable position, his head was down, and he was not aware of who was around.

• TheKarl says:

Patches was exactly what I thought too – what do they do now?

I suspect given the team dominating the game they will simply bump Prust to the Gally line, and insert Colby? or maybe even call up a pure thug (remember MT dressed Matt O’Dette after Zednik was hit)? but who would that be, Stortini?

• Maritime Ron says:

I may be wrong yet I don’t believe Stortini has a Habs NHL contract. I believe his contract is with Hamilton. No matter what, he can’t play at this level

16. TheKarl says:

in terms of hockey aspects only (not punishment, justice) it doesn’t matter if Gryba gets 1, 5 or 50 games, the Sens still benefit from that hit.

all my thoughts with Eller, hope he can comeback stronger and without fear in his game.

• The Cat says:

He’ll be smarter. Like Patrick Roy said, how can a player cut through open ice and not expect to get hit?

17. KLear says:

The propaganda machine of the Sens is disgusting. Not one sentiment of remorse for the player (perhaps it was clipped out, but I digress). To blame Diaz is a cowardice act.

The hit was to the head. The height differential between Gryba and Eller had a lot to do with the point of impact, but nonetheless it was directly to the head. Eller didn’t move his head. Gryba took the wrong angle to the player. Gryba’s elbow contacts Eller’s head. Sound familiar ? It was the reasoning to suspend Ryan White 5 games for the Huskins hit. I expect the same here. The NHL has emphasized it is the initiating player’s responsibility to identify the situation in blind side situations (anyone remember Matt Cooke on Savard ???).

What’s worse was the commentary from the HNIC panel in the second intermission. If Gryba had shot Eller Stock would have still called it a hockey play. Can TSN supplant them already ?

• Maritime Ron says:

Height difference?
      Gryba is 2″ taller. It may have appeared as a bigger difference because Eller had his head down

• pmaraw says:

it’a the same scenario as the white head shot he got a 5 game for, but at least huskin saw it coming, if that doesnt warrant a suspension….

18. dsturge10 says:

I read alot of comments in the Live Blog at the conclusion of last nights set back. Over 1700 comments at that time. Not surprisingly most of them were directing the blame towards Carey Price for the loss. These fans will never learn. They will be more upset with the alternative to CP after they run him out of town….trust me. However, it is true that a GOALTENDER was to BLAME for the LOSS last night. His name is CRAIG ANDERSON. Tough to win any game in which a goaltender performs like that. I truely believe that if the Habs had of been able to solve Anderson during the 5 on 3 and if a D man (I will not name him) had of been stronger on the clearing attempt in his own end before Ottawa’s 3rd goal, this game would have gone to the Habs. IMO, Craig Anderson cannot be expected to perform like that for the entire series. It would be nice to see Ryder, Bourque and Patch spend more time in front of Anderson creating some of the problems Gallagher creates in front of the net. MT should also talk to his corp of D man about the samething. Although I understand they are not a great physical group, they have to be more dilligent in removing oppostion from the crease. IMO, these two items of housekeeping combined with the same offensive game plan should knot this series back at 1 each. Don’t forget ’93. Down 2-0 to the Nords before Muller slid one past Hextall for the first of 10 OT wins during that quest. It’s only one game, plenty of hockey left.

19. pmaraw says:

so is there a practice?

20. pmaraw says:

truck sakes

21. Maritime Ron says:

Interesting comments by Patrick Roy last night.
    He was asked about the mental aspect of the game when he played against a goaltender that was standing on his head such as Anderson last night, and the mind set of receiving few shots on his end.

His response was that when he was on top of his game and in complete confidence, it didn’t bother him and it was not an issue.
    When he wasn’t on top of his game and lacked full confidence, it became an added pressure issue and the mind started to play some negative games that could cause distractions from concentration……

22. theflower says:

Like the rest of you I watched last nights game and here is my take.

1. Eller hit, I will let the league decide if this was a suspendable one, it was hard to tell on the replay, but Diaz put Eller in the train tracks and I hope Eller is ok, that matters most to me.

2. great we had 50 shots never a bad thing and we had better time in their zone and played a good puck possession game I feel. I agree with Therrion another 50 shots in game 2 should win us a game.

3. After the Eller hit, Diaz should have been sat down, he was awful after that and it helped make Gorges look even worse as his night was not a good one.

4. Carey Price – well he was not great, juicy rebounds, some mistakes and I know there were some tips etc, but if the guy at the other end is stopping them, you have to also that’s just the way it is. Question is what Price will we get for game #2 and the rest of the series?

5. How to improve? Regarding the D-men situation as I see it we only have one guy that we could add to the lineup and that is Pateryn. Drewiske, while big is soft and has shown me nothing special. Kaberle, enough said. Beaulieu similar to Diaz. The thing is in the playoffs D get hit everytime they have the puck in their own zone in the corners, Pateryn is the only guy we have not playing that can take that hit and move the puck and that’s what matters, so I hope he gets his shot.

6. Who plays upfront tonight? Well I know people want Chucky to play center, but its too much responsibility at this level. They bring Halpern up, all lines stay the same IMO and Halpern or White take the place of Eller with the kids.

We will play a good game again tonight I am sure, we don’t need Carey to play like Anderson, just play better than tonight, we kind of have to accept Anderson is a better goalie. So Carey just give us some timely saves and I am sure we will bounce back.

Finally one last thing, we always have a lot of fans in Ottawa, I don”t think they have any home ice advantage in this series so I am not so worried about winning in Ottawa. However with the kind of noise and fans in Montreal, we have to win our home games.

23. The Cat says:

The Eller hit is unfortunate but that hit was 80% Diaz’ fault and 20% Eller’s fault. You cant cut through open ice and not look ahead. Its also unfortunate the habs lost cause they got some serious help from the refs last night. But its only 1 game so it aint over.

• Habitforming says:

Serious help from the refs?

The non call for delay of game during the 5 min major because they didn’t want to put them down by 2 men?
      The absolute flop/dive from Anderson while holding Prusts stick disallowing a goal? (After Prust just served a diving call)
      The Sens players and coach chirping the refs and linesman all night to the point of wingers taking more faceoffs than centers did?
      They missed more than they called last night. There was no help to the habs at all

24. xeonus says:

While I’m typing up my first post in years (Re: Price – see below) I might as well chip in my two cents about the Eller hit as someone who has a “few” years of training in medicine.

If the NHL is serious about protecting the safety of its players, the legality of the hit should not be based solely on whether or not the primary site of contact is the head, it should be based on whether there was “significant” contact to the head (even if it is incidental), especially if the hit is blindside.

From the limited camera angles available to us in the public, it seemed like the intended hit to the shoulder partially “missed”. Gryba’s shoulder glanced off Eller’s shoulder and made “significant” contact with Eller’s face. These attempted hits are inherently dangerous and now a young man is going to be permanently disfigured. Unfortunately, with all the neurological sequelae that come with a concussion, this might be the least of his concerns.

There’s playing with energy and aggressiveness, but at the same time these professionals must learn to respect each other as human beings and learn to recognize when the other person is vulnerable. I do not buy into the fact that Diaz is to blame for the “injury”. The onus is on the checker to hold back a little if he see’s that there’s a moderate to strong possibility of a blindside hit. If while attempting a dangerous play like this, the aggressor is not able to make this judgement correctly, there should definitely be supplemental discipline (if only to demonstrate to others that incorrect judgement on a dangerous play is unacceptable).

I’m not taking sides on this matter. For example, I agree with Carbo and think the Subban hit was reckless as well. But at least, it looked like he conscientiously kept the hit away from the head.

• HaBo says:

Good post.
      I’d say the primary point of contact was his face which is
      part of the head. He was unconscious after the immediate contact if you look closely. That clearly makes it a check to the head, even if it was not intended to be. Falling face first on the ice was not the primary cause of injury imo.

It is obvious that his head was hit. Just watch it snap back so immediately, as gruesome as it is.

And you’re right. He was in a vulnerable position bec it was his blindside. Those hits are going to cripple someone soon. I can’t
      believe it hasn’t happened yet.

• The Cat says:

Thats the problem with todays NHL.; putting the onus of safety on the hitter (which will be forever futile), the onus should be on a player to protect himself. Thats one of the first things theyd teach you back when I played, like look behind you before going in the corners…now you see players never looking and getting dinged.

25. PLHab says:

Before the pitchforks and torches come out, and some of you start burning effigies of MB, MT and Price, remember that this is the same group (Management and players) which has gone from 15th to 2nd in one year, won 29/48 regular season games and had eight 10+ goalscorers. One game does not a season make!

I can only imagine what the reaction would have been in 1990, when Neely owned St. Pat., if social media existed, along with HIO.

26. Bill says:

If Price is still mired in this slump, we can kiss this series goodbye. There is always next year.

But someone needs to exact payback for Eller. We have a fourth line with at least two guys capable of doing this. I’m just saying I want to see one of Ottawa’s better players unconscious and in a stretcher, that’s all.

Tomorrow night’s game could be ugly.

27. xeonus says:

“Price not being good enough to win” is starting to sound like a broken record lately. He’s a great goalie with all the physical and work attributes to succeed. Although many have praised his calm level headed demeanor, I’m starting to wonder if this is all a façade, and behind it all, he’s fragile. Some goalies are consistently great in the regular season but lack that extra fortitude and choke ever so slightly during “all the chips are on the table” elimination games (refer to another Canadian goalie playing in the 2011 cup final). Other goalies rise above and become the legends (Plante, Dryden, Roy). Now as one of the best paid goaltenders in the league and with a few playoff series under his belt, his apprenticeship of what it takes to become a legend should be coming to fruition. I’m not going to judge him after one game, but personally, I believe this year’s playoff run is time for Price to define what brand of goalie he is. Will he break like glass or will he refuse to succumb and show a champion’s resolve?

28. Bradzerker says:

To everyone posting about Budaj getting the next start, or Pateryn and Drewiske being better options than Josh Gorges, please hang up your Canadiens jersey and start watching baseball. Clearly you have no intellect for the game.

This isn’t PS3, this is real life. Price could have been better and has struggled coming down the stretch, everyone can see this. That doesn’t mean Budaj is a better option. He is a back up goaltender in this league. If ANY of the 29 other GM’s in this league thought Budaj is the answer they would have made a deal for him and he would be starting somewhere else. That hasn’t happened and never will. He’s a quality #2 guy who knows his role and shuts his hole. That’s why he is still in the league.

As for anyone in the press box playing in place of Gorges you need a reality check. JG is a leader on this team and sacrifices his body night after night blocking shots. Pateryn or Drewiske are not Rick Green, or even Craig Ludwig. These guys are depth defensemen. At best, they are #6 on a non playoff team. A GM can make a mistake but it’s rare that all 30 GM’s make the same mistake. Pateryn and Drewiske are depth players nothing more. Rick Green is a former 1st overall pick. How can you compare the 2 and hope to sound credible. The fact that you even mention dressing Kaberle tells me all I need to know about your hockey IQ. This is a guy that EVERY team in the league could of had for free a month ago and declined.

If you want to get angry with anyone how about Plekanec for not following Karlsson to the net on the first Ottawa goal. He simply stopped skating at the blueline. The Diaz pass up the middle to Eller was obviously bad as was most of his play for the night. This is another guy who should be hearing it.

Price is our guy in net end of story. It just goes to show you how special guys like Patrick Roy really are. He is one of a kind so stop expecting Price to be the next coming of Roy. He has to be better without a doubt. Try supporting your team instead of crapping on them after the first game of a series (that goes for you too Boone). If you’re only going to be around when times are good why don’t you just buy a Yankees jersey and watch baseball.

Thanks for reading.

• savethepuck says:

Well said except for the Plex bashing. Kind of went against the point you were trying to make there.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• clutch73 says:

Great post

• ooder says:

comparing Price to Roy is a joke. Roy would will the puck out of the net no matter what it takes.
      There are a bunch of other great play off performances that we can compare Carey to. Quick, Halak, Thomas, Cam Ward, Fluery… you name it..
      the bottom line is, habs domianted the sens and were up going into the third. Then 2 goals in 2 minutes (both softies), and 3 goals on 5 shots.
      how many playoff games you expect to win when the d can’t trust their goalie because god forbid they allow a shot on goal.

29. Habitoba says:

If a player is in a funk (DD, Patches), you’d imagine a coach to put him in a situation to succeed (i.e. power play) in order to get his mojo going again. The other argument can be made that a winning team will help ease whatever pressure a player puts on himself and may play without gripping the stick so tight, so the coach should go what what works instead.

They have staff to know what works best for individual players through personal connections as well as the team as a team. I imagine it is what it is for a reason and it will be what it will be until that reason changes or matters become urgent.

But what do I know? I just root for the team, regardless as I can’t do a lick of difference from where I stand.

My thoughts go to Eller and his family. Here’s hoping it’s just a typical playoff face he’s got with a broken nose and busted teeth and not the dreaded C word…

30. jphk says:

Frankly, I don’t think that the strategy of giving 50 SOGs and rely on the goalie to make miracles daily is viable. The real culprit here is the PP. One goal only, and no threath on the 5 on 3. Desharnais and Pax were entirely useless, our fourth line (Prust excepted) entirely invisible, and Plek managed, as usal, to miss a few open nets. Maybe we should try Plek/ Ryder/Bourque, DD/Gionta/Pax and Gally/Chucky/Prust. Put Halpern, Armstrong and White on the fourth as Moen does not even try to do anything anyway.

Diaz was the worst D-men today I still don’t get why we kept Kaberle all year not to play instead of doing a Gomez on him. Anyway, maybe put Drew to replace Diaz tomorrow (not been great since concussion).

Price in. If Budaj is the messiah, we can keep him for game 3 anyway

31. Lil Snapper says:

I cannot believe the absence of Ryder? Where are you bro?

32. PrimeTime says:

I don’t care if I’m ever allowed to post here again but the job of putting Baboone out in the pasture should be completed after such an unprofessional post. Wow!!!

• byrneoNL says:

In my day we called this “telling it like it is” and Boone speaks the truth. I was at the game. He is going too easy on Price, Diaz and Gorges IMO, not to mention the invisible Ryder and Pacioretty. Spent the evening (post game)drinking at Winnie’s .. Will be back for game 2 tomorrow… Subban and Gallagher were great tonight. Prusty too

• savethepuck says:

The thing about being at the game, even though I envy the fact that you were able to be there and I was not, is that you don’t have the advantage of replays and if you PVR, slo-mo. I read earlier you blamed Price for the 3rd goal, but he was screened and didn’t see the puck til the last minute. As of now, I think he let in a bad tying goal on Silfverberg’s tying goal, a shot from the top of the circle, however I plan to PVR Canadiens Express in the morning because I think the shot may of gone of Gorges. I didn’t have enough time to review it tonight without losing live action.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

33. Habilis says:

I’m not normally the doom and gloom type, but I find myself very disheartened tonight.

The way we lost that game, completely dominating them for 40 minutes and still losing the game and Eller… It’s a lot to come back from.

I know it’s only one game, but to me at least, it feels too much like it did in ’06 when we lost Koivu.

I hope with every fiber of my being that I’m wrong. I won’t stop cheering, or hoping.

IMHO, a few things need to happen for us to win the next couple. Obviously Price needs to be better. DD needs to wake up and Galchenyuk needs to move to center and be let loose. Give him Gallagher and Bourque and see what he can do.

Also, Diaz can’t let one bad play derail his game. I know this one ended worse than most, but he has to move on during the game. Deal with it later. His passes after the Eller hit were soft because he was afraid of leading someone into something similar. Can’t play hockey like that. If he starts next game like that, MT should bench him immediately. Maybe even dress Beaulieu in Eller’s place, in case.

34. PrimeTime says:

So HIO is now a platform for soured, used up “beat writers” to whine like a baby??? Wow! I wonder if the Gazette would actually print such a piece. I would hope not!! I guess there’s good reasons why someone is limited employed. Wow! Maybe the first ALN to be “moded””??? This site really deteriorated over the years

35. DickandDanny says:

Finally there are others who recognize that we have better D-men sitting in the press box than some that we are playing. Of course Kaberle would be the main one, but I really liked Pateryn when he was up. What the hell did he do so terribly wrong that he was sent back? Good stay at home d-man in my books. And what happened to Drewiski suddenly? Big tough stay at home guy reminiscent of Rick Green. We could sure benefit from all three of them over Diaz, and Gorges. Enough is enough.It was bad enough we play Gorges constantly now his D partner is equally as bad.
    “A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• GrosBill says:

Agree that pair looked bad at times but please no comparing Green to Drewiski, I wish he could bring what Green did to the habs blueline……………

36. DickandDanny says:

Excellent post. Finally someone else who recognizes we have better D-men in the press box than some that we are playing. Of course Kaberle would be the main one but I really liked Pateryn when he was up. What the hell did he do so terribly wrong that he was ent back? Good stay at home d-man in my books. And what happened to Drewiski suddenly? Big tough stay at home guy reminiscent of Rick Green.
    “A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

37. habs1992 says:

“Sens Draw First Blood” -Ottawa Sun. I hope every player on the habs see’s this, if this doesn’t get you motivated to play a bit harder then nothing will, one of your teammates just got carried out in a stretcher then the Ottawa Sun makes a headline like this. Habs in 6

I support Carey Price

• Da Hema says:

Yep. If that isn’t a rallying cause, I don’t know what could be. If I were a Hab, I would make it my singular goal to win the next four games.

• DickandDanny says:

I agree with mostly everything you write but can you please get rid of your by-line, or sig, or whatever they call it. Price should be supported based on his performance, not because people think he should be.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• savethepuck says:

Totally agreed. They should use this as motivation, totally classless.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• HaBo says:

The whole “Sun” chain is a complete classless, right wing rag.

But nothing is more disgusting than the Front page headline in the 80’s or 90’s in the Winnipeg Sun when a young girl had been pulled into a garage and raped and then bludgeoned to death. Their headline was: Sunday Bloody Sunday. I’ve never ever bought a Sun paper again.

Habs PP is letting them down. They’ve needed to create more
      options for a month now. At least they’re trying some cross crease
      plays now but they Must score more asap.

Boone is frustrated and who can blame him. Like someone said,
      he’s simply calling it like it is, basically.
      It takes 4 to win so it’s not over, but it’s gonna be tough’ obviously.

38. Da Hema says:

My thoughts are first with Lars Eller. I really like that young man. If he broke his nose, as was reported, that would certainly account for the amount of blood on the ice.

This was a game they should have won, but didn’t. It is only the first game of what will be a long series.

I was hoping Carey Price would make this a statement game, but the statement he made was not what I was expecting. If my heart races every time an opponent shoots the puck at him, it is hard to believe his teammates aren’t having the same reaction.

The player, in my mind, who should be sent to the press box is Diaz. It was his ill-advised pass to Eller that led to the latter’s injury. It was Diaz’s inability simply to smack the puck around the boards that led to Ottawa’s game-winning goal. I would rather see Beaulieu playing and gaining some valuable experience. It is difficult to imagine Beaulieu playing any worse than Diaz.

Don’t lose faith yet folks!

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Man that was a gutless ignorant profane headine on the front page of the Ottawa Sun :(

…I can not believe they could stoop so low

…what a tasteless media vulture whoever decided to run with that headline

…we can not blame the Senators for what their scum media prints, but that makes me boil :(

40. habs1992 says:

Just got back from the game. Price should of stopped at least 2 if not 3 of those goals, maybe he just is not that good though i still see potential but we are still waiting. What can i say you get 50 shots you usually win, but i had a bad feeling when we were only up 1 goal after 2, saying how bad we outplayed them. As stated above Desharnais was the worst player on the ice the guy is brutal slow cant win a puck battle slow, he was terrible, also Diaz had a bad night tonite, other then that you cant really complain we played a great game and sometimes the score doesn’t dictate the game

I support Carey Price

• CalgaryHab says:

Maybe Carey will develop like Kipper and will shine as an older goalie

• shootdapuck says:

Probably wont be as a member of the Habs!

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

41. CalgaryHab says:

I’m tired of immediately looking for someone or some other factor to excuse Price for allowing a goal. Just stop the damn puck!
    Gorges – you had a tough game following a tough season. I’m losing the battle of trying not to hate you.

We need a Zednik type rally!!

42. Propwash says:

Seeing Stubbs tweets, much respect for the man.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

43. Propwash says:

Price wasn’t lights out as expected on a daily basis. Makes me wonder (I’m pretty sure everyone here knows I will defend him as much as the next guy) if it goes to the crapper and the team loses in 4, if he will be the next buyout candidate.. I don’t want it to happen, but you never know…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Not a chance! A major trade, perhaps. Never a buy-out.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Timo says:

Who can Habs possibly get for Price after he craps the bed this playoffs… again. We got Eller (back then there was no indication he’d turn out to be a dominant player) and some guy who never made it to the NHL and a 2nd round pick I think. And that’s for a goalie who essential carried this team on his shoulder through 2 rounds. And did not have 6.5 mil tag on him.

What can Habs possibly expect to get for Price?

44. ths says:

Start Budaj or even one of the Black Ace goalies. Need to inject some energy

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

45. SteverenO says:

I haven’t had a chance to read through the thread yet, but I can guess that many are crapping on Price, and others on Desharnais, Price will be defended ardently , he is after all athorough bred, and only one goal was a bad one, yada yada yada .

the truth is that Price did not cost us this game, nor did Desharnais,Moen, or White, Or Diaz, or even Gorges…..
    The game was lost in the second period. The coach decide NOT to use the players responsible for the team having the 5th best Powerplay in the league, because he preferred the players who were our least effective on the PP all season long. .

@rcjp

you wrote:

**************************************
    and secondly, did the captain Gionta play tonight?
    **************************************

The answer is yes he did play. He played exactly one minute and 49 seconds on the powerplay, out of 9 minutes and 39 seconds (all in the second period) of powerplay time including 90 seconds of 5 on 3 ,
    The HAbs were the 5th best PP in the NHL this season, BECAUSE the line Ryder/Plex/Gionta , and Bourque /Plek/Gionta were extremely productive, and DESPITE the fact that the line of Pacioretty/Desharnais and Gallagher were NOT at all productive.

The game was lost in the second period. Instead of being proud of the guys for taking 27 shots (we had over nine minutes with the man advantage) it would have been nice to have had our BEST PP unit on the ice for the majority of our powerplay. Instead the coach played the line of 67/51/11 (with their average success rate of 21%) for the the first minute of the 5 on 3 and the line of 73/14/21 (with their 32% success rate) for the last 23 seconds. Not knowing which players are your most effective powerplay producers after a full season is UNACCEPTABLE.

MT who had 4 days to prepare, and do nothing but analyze the tapes, and the data, from a 48 game season.distributed powerplay time like this:

Desharnais: 5 min 11 =55% TOI (23.1% success rate reg season)
    Plekanec 3 min 57 =42% ??? (31.4% success rate reg season)

Desharnais played 67% of the 5 on 3 Plekanec played 33%

Pacioretty: 5 min:35 – 57% TOI (23.5% success rate reg season)
    Ryder: 2 min 43 = 26% ???? (33.5% success rate reg season)

Pacioretty played 67% of the 5 on 3 Ryder 33%

Bourque: 3 min 36 =37% TOI (27.0% success rate reg season)
    Gallagher: 3 min 25 =36% TOI (17.4% success rate reg season)
    Gionta: 1 min 49 = 19% TOI (31% success rate reg season)

Gallagher played 67% of the 5 on 3 Gionta played 33% Bourque 0%)

Gorges: 23 secs= 5% TOI ( 04.5% success rate reg season)

This game was lost in the second period. We knew that we were going into a series against a team that is great at killing penalties. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for not utilizing our most effective PowerPlay line as much as possible. By the time the 5 minute powerplay and the 90 second 5 on 3 was over we needed to be ahead by at least two goals. Had we failed, using our best players, I could accept the fact that the other team’s penalty kill was better than our PP . The way it was played, it was our coaching staff and the mis-allocation of resources on the PP that lost this game.

My next post, tomorrow, will prove that the coaching staff came into the game completely unprepared. If the coaching does not improve, we will have little chance of winning this series

The coach was quoted after the game as saying ” the only thing you can control is the effort”. That may be true of the players. The thing that the coaching staff can,and should, control is using the right players at the right time. The entire purpose of the 48 game audition, called the regular season, is for the coaching staff to evaluate his personnel so that he can optimize the teams chances to win in the playoffs.

I am frickin angry!

regards,

Steve O.

P.S. For the refs to call an embellishment penalty in Prust, but not on Anderson is a crime. Anderson grabbed Prust’s stick , pulled it into his chest and fell down without any assistance from Prust. The very fact that they did NOT call Goalie interference, proves that the goalie was embellishing. What the f/”/”k knocked him down?

Then again with the PP being mismanaged what difference does it make?

I am very, very, angry!

Good thing we don’t have long to wait for the next game. Maybe we can win despite our lack of intelligence behind the bench.

regards,

Steve O.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I simply do not understand Therrien’s obstinate belief in DD’s value. It boggles the mind.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• shootdapuck says:

Keeps his former buddies in the Allo Police media off his back!

Imagine the hue and cry if they had the stones to bench DD.

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

• Timo says:

Therrien is a joke. Habs finishing 4th will be the best he will ever do with this organization. It will be all downhill from here.

How many chances is Carey Price going to be given in his career with Mtl Canadiens? He is garbage, a freaking rodeo clown.

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…despite all the bad news folks, it is ONLY the first game

48. commandant says:

Going off my point earlier… Price wasn’t good enough for his team tonight….

I see two other goalies who weren’t good enough for their teams either, giving up some weak ones at key times.

Henrik Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…but for too long Ben, Carey has been doing this much too consistently

…that is the difference

• Seps says:

That doesn’t make me feel any better lol

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Commandant, I’ve been a consistent Price backer, but it’s time to stop making excuses for the man. Quick has a Cup ring and a Conn Smythe – I’ll take that trade-off, thanks. Price’s play in the third was unacceptable and if he doesn’t flip the switch as of next game, he will have fully earned all the crap that will descend upon his head. He’s a 6-year NHL veteran and paid to be a difference maker. Excuse time is over.

• ooder says:

the main difference, is that the rangers were absolutely dominated by the caps.
      Lundqvist kept them in it but cracked by the end.
      Quick, I didn’t watch the game, but if it was anything like game 1 then the same applies

49. jedimyrmidon says:

The loss of Emelin was huge. The loss of Eller might just break this team.

If there’s something that could kill a team’s playoff hopes, that was it.

Seeing Eller suffering such a devastating injury and so unexpectedly must have been shocking for his teammates. That was the greatest form of intimidation the Sens (or any team) could have put forth.

Forget about a physical series with lots of hitting or after-the-whistle goon activity. The Habs just saw one of their best players get knocked out (probably literally) of the playoffs and the other guy probably won’t even be suspended.

How’s that for a confidence shaker.

Couple that with Anderson playing out of his mind, and it seems like the Canadiens are powerless. They just one guy playing the most dominant hockey of his career, and Fate took it all away for the foreseeable future. Bam. Lying on the ice motionless, and it’s over.

Price needed to be better, but, ask yourself: how good would he have to be to match the other guy? I think only one goalie in the NHL is playing at that level, and it’s Anderson.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Eller was really blossoming, and the hit was horrific, but it’s not like we just lost Crosby out there.

I do want to know, though, what the deal is with the Habs losing key players to catastrophic injuries in the playoffs or stretch drive.

-Zednik in 2004
      -Koivu in 2006
      -Markov in 2009 and 2010
      -Pacioretty in 2011
      -Eller in 2013

It’s pretty sickening when you add it up, and I’m pretty sure that our ratio of playoff games to catastrophic injuries sustained by key players is higher than most teams’.

50. Seps says:

Price has been playing like a back-up, Halak is a back-up, if Price doesn’t step up we were bound to lose either way.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Halak is injured. Has been most of the season.
      I stand corrected. I see he dressed as the back-up tonight.
      I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Seps says:

Haha yeah, he was behind Allen too at some point.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

To be fair, he was red-hot early in the season. Then suffered a groin injury. He’ll be back in the pipes next season. Guaranteed.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Seps says:

He’ll be traded soon, guaranteed. Blues are waiting for Allen to mature.

But any Blues tendy looks good, their D is phenomenal

• makka83 says:

red-hot? meaning 1 shutout, then pulled next game, then a shutout, then pulled the game after that. That’s not redhot…

51. durocher says:

The Gazette should write an open letter to the Sun, challenging their journalistic integrity. It should elaborate on Stubbs’s on point twitter comment: “Celebration of any player’s injury to sell product is catering to a lowest common denominator that needs a ladder to reach the ground floor”

52. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Photo says it all. What a fustercluck. Sens just won the series, I’m afraid. Hopefully we’ll see Eller ready to go at training camp.

• durocher says:

I’m unwilling to throw in the towel after one game, and neither should you.

• podbay says:

Have to say I agree with you. I think with Eller done for the series, Price playing the poorest of his career, and various other Habs playing like they’re out of gas, it isn’t looking good. And don’t forget that the Sens have been a thorn in Montreal’s side from the first game they played against Montreal when they joined the NHL second time around. It’s only Game One, but Montreal, with the exception of the rooks and players like PK and
      Bourque, seems to be out of gas.

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in My opinion, I would prefer Beaulieu’s size, speed and creativity to replace Diaz or Bouillon

…and, I know Leblanc played like a ‘dog, literally this year, but He has NHL experience, …if He can regain His play of last season by Therrien giving Him confidence, then He should be given the opportunity to fill for Lars

…impossible for Him to replace what Eller gave Us but beggars can’t be choosers

54. Lafrich says:

The game was lost for one reason and one reason only, Price. Believe me, I saw the few players that were not very good, as in Diaz, markov, Gorges, and Desharnais. I saw the 5 min PP and 1.5 min 5 on 3 that should have been more fruitful. But when it comes down to it, ALL 4 goals were stoppable, and Price failed the team. Goal 1 was the most acceptable, although a real playoff goalie makes that save. Goal 2 was embarassing, goal 3 was almost as embarassing, and goal 4 should have never had a rebound. I have been a Price supporter for a long time, but it is time to give up. Buh Bye. If Budaj is not in nets for game 2 I would be very disappointed.

This game is the season. Over.

Price is a POS. So is DD. No more tricks, no more miracles. Let’s see what Bergevin does before next season.

Good night.

• Storman says:

But the loon or the moon says Price is so good, and someone on the moon knows all no?

• Timo says:

I am not going to pick on Loonie. He sees what he sees. I see what I see. I would rather Carey Price was not a Montreal Canadien. Sadly, it will take at least another bad game (and a loss) on his part for Therrien to go with Budaj, and even then it’s not a guarantee.

• Storman says:

The worst thing is i think he gets more than another game, to show us how average he truly is, i think he gets the series to show all his pearls of crapdom…

• Timo says:

He will. I have no doubt that Therrien will ride this pony until the end. Sadly for those players that decided to show up for the game it will be all for naught. Eller’s injury will be all for naught.

• makka83 says:

To be fair Timo. I have no idea who/what makes you happy… I doubt anything Habs does. Maybe in the 1950’s or 1970’s. But it’s 2013, the same expectations will bring you great sadness.

56. Storman says:

Bob Gainey called Carey Price a thoroughbred, I am starting to think he meant a throughbred..

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

Speaking of hype, what is it that Michel Therien sees in Raphael Diaz? He played 20 minutes tonight compared to 12 by Tinordi. I would like to see Tinordi’s minutes up & Diaz’s down. By a lot.

58. durocher says:

I’m proud of the team for playing with the emotion and intensity after the Eller hit. Gally27 going after Gryba shows what sort of team we have and how much the players will play their hearts out for one another. I’m extremely disappointed that, despite putting it all on the line, we still came up short.

Highest on that list of disappointing players is Diaz, whose suicide pass should never have been made. For an offensive defenseman who has some experience, and as someone Boone lavishes praise on for some reason, Diaz should have known better. He is soft, small, and did nothing to contribute offensively, despite being apparently offensive minded. If there is any lineup change conversation to be had, it is not Price or Budaj, it is Diaz or anyone else, even Beaulieu.

Speaking of Price, he is not over his funk. Your best players are to play their best in important games, and that he did not do. Anderson stole a W, and Price did not keep their team in the game, which is quintessentially what a goaltender is supposed to do. No, I am not blaming Price for the loss. But Price did not pull his weight, and that is becoming a tiring theme of late.

The last zero I will mention, to borrow Jack Todd’s schtick, is Gionta, who as captain did little on the ice and failed to show any of the jump, energy, or enthusiasm that was found in other team leaders, like Subban or Gallagher.

I hope we can give Eller a better result tomorrow.

59. Skeptical - 25 says:

I’m not saying price played well but. The team has to score more than 2-Goals on 50-shots. Sure Anderson played great but a lot of shots were right at him. Shots has to go by the Goalie not through him.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

This is the playoffs. The team was down 1-0, came back & gave Mr Price a one goal lead. You want to be an elite goalie in this league? Protect the one goal lead & win the game. You’re not elite when you let in a SOFTIE to tie it.

As for Anderson, yes he played well but to beat this sucker it isn’t quantity of shots. We must park guys in front him because he gives up rebounds & kind of sucks handling them.

60. Max says:

Yup,one of our top players was taken out by a loser,troglodyte AHL plug.The question is who is going to make Ottawa pay next game? Unfortunately,we have no one on the team tough enough to take out the trash and cause some damage.This issue needs to be addressed in the offseason.

61. The Jackal says:

Holy smokes… is anyone watching Det vs. Ana? Wild game, Ducks tie it up, Wings folded in the 3rd… on to OT
    ______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

62. Sportfan says:

OK GET RID of DD in the big moemnts give the Kids more chances etc etc All in all I expect big and good things tomorrow I see a Habs win!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

63. supinator77 says:

Desharnais on the PP is a crime!

64. H.Upmann says:

bobby Ryan ties it…

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

I wonder how much confidence the team has right now with Price in net. I’m sure they’ll say the right thing by supporting/believing in him but I’m willing to bet that when Price let in that tying goal(5 hole) not only did it deflate the team but his teammates must have said, oh oh here we go again.

All I have to say is thank you Bob Gainey. He’s your project, too bad we didn’t ship him out when Bob left. It seems like we have a Roberto Luongo on our hands. All hype, no substance.

• ooder says:

0 confidence.. when you watch one goalie steal the show, and then you make the mistake of allowing a shot on goal that goes in, it is ridiculously deflating and gives momentum to the sens. If i play d for the habs, i try to block everything and anything because i am scared of getting scored on. Naturally that is a terrible way to play so it looks like a mess on the ice.
      6.5 million, imagine paying a goalie 3 and using the rest on a good d man instead. Instead we are paying price 6.5 million to make the routine stops (which he doesn’t always do).

66. habnonymous1 says:

They should measure P.K.’s intensity and talent level on the Richter scale.

Arguing better than Karlsson or Letang or anyone else is futile but, as a 40+ year Hab fan, I say we are lucky to have him on our team. It is a thing of beauty.

67. sgmcfarlane says:

Who should play goal in Game 2? Really?! Come on people quit trying to spin up controversy and drama. It’s friendly fire like this that makes Montreal a toxic place to play and why we can never sign the free agents we need. Carey is our goalie. Get behind him and the team, it’s one game. Go Habs!

Ca sente la coupe!

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I believe we should swim or sink with Budaj. No way in hell is Price ever going to work out in Montreal. But what the hell do I know.

68. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a session with Dr. Sylvain Guimond would be more useful for Carey tomorrow morning than His goalie coach

69. commandant says:

On Carey Price.

Is he as bad as some have said he was tonight? No, I think the hyperbole is a bit over the top from many in the commentariat here.

But the bottom line is this… with the game on the line, and the Habs up 2-1 he let in an awful goal that just should not happen to a 6.5 million dollar goalie. Not at that moment, and not on this stage.

While he wasn’t as bad as some say, he wasn’t good enough, and wasn’t what the Habs needed him to be today.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

70. aroma says:

Short but sweet and on the money. Habs beat by a much better goalie. The Price, once again, is very wrong. Habs will never go deep on the playoffs,with him. “Overrated” is quite the understatement. Ditto for little David.

71. habnonymous1 says:

Anyone who thinks the hit is clean or non-suspendable should watch this clip, particularly the back-angle from the Sens end at 0:35 .

It looks to me like blindside, initial contact shoulder to head, with no simultaneous body or hip contact, which means Healey/CBC and TSN panel pundits are outright wrong . Hit knocked him unconscious, contact with ice caused the blood.

Way worse than White’s hit that drew a 5-gamer. That said, Gryba is an AHL fill-in while Eller is a top player so no downside for Ottawa in any event.

72. The Cat says:

I agree. Its unfortunate for Eller, he was playing well. The sens player shouldnt have to pay for Diaz and Eller’s stupidity.

73. pmaraw says:

when he does, let me know, subban is a clean hitter

74. Maritime Ron says:

I can’t ever remember Subban’s hits being high. He usually leads with the hip or butt

75. Cal says:

Why look, the everlasting troll is back. Don’t feed it.

76. The Cat says:

I love PK but he does dance the fine line, which is fine, its good to have d-men like that. Habs have too many gentlemen on the team as it is.

77. pmaraw says:

he never hits high. not on big hits.

78. pmaraw says:

^^^^ this

79. pmaraw says:

ya, he clearly didnt get hit in the head. with all those facial fractures and all.

80. Danno says:

Gryba’s shoulder to Eller’s head contact was clear

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

81. The Cat says:

He did hit the ice face first.

82. The Cat says:

He dances a fine line with charging etc I have no problem with d-men that have a dirty streak, you need that to keep forwards nervous.

83. pmaraw says:

I did see that also, you ever fall on your face? I doubt it got fractured. it was from the collision with the shoulder.

84. The Cat says:

I actually have but it was cheek first, in them days nobody looked for concussions. I didnt break anything but you shouldve seen the side of my face. So I can definitely imagine damage if its nose and teeth first, but everybody will be different in how much they can take..

85. pmaraw says:

except the part of his face that hit the ice first was his forehead

86. pmaraw says:

falling on your forehead wont break your teeth

87. Dust says:

I think that is where the majority of damage came from. Looks to be like the hit knocked him out. (which will probably be the main reason why Eller wont return this year) Then he fell flat on his face on the ice causing the damage to his face. IT was a horrible thing to watch and i hope him all the best in his recovery

88. pmaraw says:

i think we all know the answer to that

89. Loonie says:

This is exactly what I’m talking about, get an inch, take a mile.

Wanna talk about how you’ve hated Price for a long time because you despise Bob Gainey Terry?

I’d rather not get into it but maybe full disclosure’s in order in some these cases.

90. tophab says:

do you blow price?

91. Mattyleg says:

Our forwards not scoring more than 2 goals on 50 shots, plus a 5-minute powerplay and a 5-on-3 cost us the game.

They could have put the game out of reach but they didn’t.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

92. AllHailTheFlower says:

Price let in one soft goal (the second), not three. I think Tom’s right, you’re a Price-hater who seeks out opportunities to espouse it.

93. Kooch7800 says:

Eller was a huge loss last night. I hope he can recover and be back next season!!!!!

Price needs to be better tonight or we are done in 5

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

94. sane hockey fan says:

Yeah they could have, but the other teams goalie prevented that from happening. Something ours couldn’t do.

Fact of the matter is we went into the 3rd with a lead and let in two goals on the first 4 shots. Both of which Anderson would have turned away with no problem.

95. Kooch7800 says:

there were 50 shots but they have to create better scoring chances and get dirty goals. It is the only way to beat Anderson

A lot of those shots were easy shots

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

96. von says:

I think you kind of missed the point. You don’t think the Sens are going to take every opportunity to hit P.K?

Karlsson had a goal, an assist, finished +3 and played almost 30 minutes. Get real.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

97. Clay says:

That’s exactly what I saw as well

__________________________
    ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

98. Mattyleg says:

How can you say that?
    Do you have a magic hat that allows you to see what could have happened?

I have one too: It says that Anderson would have let in every single shot that Price faced.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

99. Mattyleg says:

I agree.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

100. twilighthours says:

“And the fact that Anderson stopped the shots doesn’t mean that he’s a better goalie, it means that our forwards weren’t as good as theirs.”

No, it could also mean that our forwards were better than theirs but their goalie was better than ours.

101. Clay says:

“the fact that Anderson stopped the shots doesn’t mean that he’s a better goalie, it means that our forwards weren’t as good as theirs.”
    :roll:

__________________________

102. Habsbill24 says:

Price is 8-16 in the plaoffs. Is that all the forwards fault?

103. Kooch7800 says:

Look for PK to be a major factor again tonight. He showed last night how elite he has become this season.

He is worth 7 mill a season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

104. von says:

My point is that you wear down your opponent, forcing them into making mistakes, etc.

_________________________________

105. The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Big difference with the Chara hit. Chara deliberately ploughed Patches’ face into the stanchion. Last night was a vicious open-ice hit. The former is attempted murder pure and simple. The latter is irresponsible and condemnable but (basically) a “hockey play.” It shouldn’t be – all hits to the head should be suspendable – but it is.

106. Les Canayens says:

And it would have been a “hockey play”

107. The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Why don’t we just run over Karlsson in the parking lot, then? Ridiculous. Now if PK lays a guy out with a savage open ice hit, that’s another matter. But deliberately breaking an all star’s wrist is NOT how the Habs play hockey. Never has been and God willing never will be.

108. habs-fan-84 says:

sigh.

109. KenD29 says:

Are you serious that the loss was entirely on Price?
    Were you watching the game?

1st goal, Karlsson goes untouched from his end up the middle to set up the goal. Where were the forwards and D on that one? Did not realize this was pond hockey. Hit the guy.

Yes Price gave up two soft goals. But Diaz and Gorges were horrible on D. Ryder has become casper the ghost. Pax and DD Moen …
    what did these guys contribute to winning the game?

All About Work Ethic

110. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

111. KenD29 says:

From my “armchair”, like yours, Subban and Gallagher played their “guts” out.

All About Work Ethic

112. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

113. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hot goalie my ars. Don’t let the 50 shots fool you.

114. Luke says:

I agree… It shouldn’t be the way Human beings think.

115. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

+1,000,000

116. BJ says:

Bettman, I think he was there last night. I thought I heard one of the french TV commentators say that.

117. John Frodo says:

If there is no suspension, Mr. Molson should boycott the remainder of the playoffs and get all like minded owners to join him. Or dress every goon promise them a lifetime salary and go out and goon every Ottawa star.