About last night …

7845162

Veteran hockey beat writer Bertrand Raymond offered this wry assessment of the Canadiens’ home opener:
“The good news,” Raymond said, “is there are only 47 games to go.”
OK, that’s a bit harsh.
But you’d probably hear similar sentiments from a sellout crowd who arrived at the Bell Centre hungry for hockey and hoping for improvement on the last-place team they watched 41 times last season.
Until Brian Gionta scored with a few ticks over six minutes remaining in the game, the Canadiens were … umm, what adjective conveys it best … how about “reminiscent”.
They reminded fans of last season’s team
And that was not a good thing.

But hey, it’s only one game, right?

Albeit one of only 48 in the mad dash that is this late-starting NHL season.

In other openers, the Stanley Cup champion L.A. kings got their rings, skated the CUP around the ice and then got smoked 5-2 by the Blackhawks.

Philadelphia dropped its home opener to the cross-state rival Penguins.

One game does not a truncated season make … even if it’s the home opener and even if, in the case of the Canadiens, the quality of the competition falls well below Chicago and Pittsburgh.

For 54 minutes, the Leafs dominated pretty much every important aspect of the game.

They took fewer dumb penalties. I’m looking at you, Tomas Plekanec.

The speed of their forwards befuddled a Canadiens defence that desperately missed the physicality and puck-lugging skills of P.K. Subban. I’m looking at you, Tomas Kaberle and Josh Gorges.

Andrei Markov had his moments. There was the odd pass that found a red sweater in the neutral zone. But on the evidence of this game, Markov’s 34-year-old legs aren’t what they used to be.

But it was achingly obvious, all night long, that the Canadiens most reliable puck-moving defenceman was home watching the game on TV.

And I wonder if P.K. changed the channel after a couple periods. The game was that boring.

But hey, 47 more chances to prove this is a better edition of the Canadiens than last season’s cellar-dwellers.

Bright spots?

Not many.

Carey Price was outstanding. Anything less and it’s 5-0 after two. The Leafs had that many good chances.

Brandon Prust played with energy, killed penalties effectively and won his fight with Mike Brown.

Alexei Emelin, teamed with Markov, had six of the Canadiens 24 hits.

(Mike Komisarek – I’ll wait while everyone boos – had six hits for Toronto, which had 39 … including eight by some guy named Leo Komarov.)

Rene Bourque played with some spark. By the third period, he had been elevated to LW on the Plekanec-Gionta line, with Alex Galchenyuk dropping down to duty with Lars Eller and Travis Moen.

The highly-touted kid played 13:06 and had a couple shots on goal. He did not look entirely out of place, but Galchenyuk will likely be on the third line when the Florida Panthers visit the Bell Centre on Tuesday.

And if he’s going to play third-line minutes, maybe the kid would be better off in Sarnia.

Galchenyuk certainly was no worse than any of the Canadiens’ veteran forwards. Toronto goaltender Ben Scrivens was well-protected by his D corps, rarel;y troubled by anyone in a red jersey crashing the net.

The home team generated no sustained pressure, nothing to p[ump up the crowd and make the building rock like it does when …

Well, when P.K. Subban has the puck.

Fearless prediction: Brendan Gallagher will play against Florida on Tuesday.

Another fearless prediction: Marc Bergevin and Don Meehan will talk on Wednesday.

Maybe sooner.

1. Badwich says:

Total agreement here.

Taberwitt

2. CCL says:

I would try Desharnais with Galchenyuk and Gionta for tuesday’s game and move Plekanec up with Pacioretty and Cole. what do you have to loose. the 3rd and 4th line is as good as the Habs can put out there.
    this is our team no matter where we finish and in the next 47 games there’s gonna be all kind’s of suggestions.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Cup champs Kings got bag skated this morning at their practice rink for sucking against Vancouver yesterday, so it happens.

New coach, new GM need to see what we have. So patience is in order. That said, the Smurf days had better be over. 1 or 2, fine, but that’s plenty.

4. Price07 says:

Kaberle was awful in my opinion…

5. Beaco says:

Now I don’t smell the cup or even guaranteeing a playoff spot. in fact I’d be content with a good draft position as I feel we need to play a long game and stock the prospect cupboard, particularly with a reduced cap. I am going to hold off for about 10 games before making a serious assessment of what we have here. This looked like a preseason game because that’s really what it was. They played a game after 6 days of camp. That said, I am concerned about a lack of speed from the back end. Markov, Kaberle have been playing this whole time so they don’t don’t get a pass due to rust. They were just slow and while I could be wrong I don’t see them getting any faster. P.K. … Sign him. If The Hotstove is to be believed the offer is around 3 million for 2 years. Is he worth Doughty coin? Of course not, but he is worth more than Del Zotto. Some may point to the stats where they are by and large similar however Del Zotto is about 4th on their depth chart while PK is 1st. Tougher minutes to play. More minutes to play. He did it on a last place team instead of a first place team and was still a +9. Anyway you all don’t need me spitting stats at you. Make it 4.5 (to account for our tax situation, we always have to pay a little more) for 3years and move on.
    Offence? Not much to speak of. I saw a little something in the 3rd. Again I saw this as a 1st preseason game and timing issues need working out. Borque looked alright. So did Gally27. Really liked the 4th line.
    Anyway all that to say, while I don’t expect the moon from this group I’m willing to wait before calling this a total write off. To borrow a cowboy quote, “Relax. Chill out.”

6. Mr. Biter says:

Watched the game in asllrts bar in Lauderdale called Hot Leggs. They have NHL game package but you have to tell the blonde’s working the remote to go to the700′.s. Not very impressed with Habs. Gal needs to go back to Sarnia. Not going to beat many NHL goalies with wrist shots from way above circle.. I still can’t figure out why so many want to get rix of DD. Also oud is way to small.
    Typing from smart phone sucks.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

7. NCRhabsfan says:

At 3-4M PK is a great defenceman, at 6M he is a boat anchor for the franchise. Pay PK 6M and consign the Habs to several more years of mediocrity. You have to have enough money to be able to afford a couple of other players that are better than AHL calibre.

8. danedmunds says:

Same team same result. Doesn’t matter who the gm or coach is. Its the same core that finished last. Prust armstrong bouillon and healthy markov are not the solution to vault this team into contenders. Love Markov but his best days are behind him. Coming from someone who has had the exact same injuries as he has had he will never be the same. Also Time to get rid of plekanec. Team is too small. Desharnais as your number one center is ludicrous. Love the guy but that’s not going to win you a championship

• NCRhabsfan says:

Agree. Imagine, if Gallagher plays on Tuesday they could have 4 guys under 5’10” in the lineup (Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher and Bouillon). When almost a 1/4 of your skaters are pint-sized, you’re going to have a problem. It’s kind of like trying to play against a regular NFL team with a team made up of 54 wide receivers…

9. Arrow77 says:

Let’s not call P.K. our savior yet. People seem to forget he was pretty bad last season, until late in the year when the team was already eliminated. Personally, I don’t think the defensemen were the problem last night. I can deal with Markov and Kaberle on the powerplay for a few games; they’re not what they used to be but they’re smart.

The problem, as it was last year, is our forwards. There’s no one there to change the tide of a bad game. I’m happy Gionta scored because at least our first goal is in the bag and our goals won’t come in easy this year.

Other than that, we’re probably a bit better than we showed. This isn’t the first team to suck on its home opener.

• nunacanadien says:

That’s the problem and Toronto figured it out like all the other teams in the NHL. You just have to keep Gionta and the rest of Therrien’s kindergarten team out and not able to make a shot.

Prust had how many passes and how chances to shoot the puck and how many times did he fan the puck? How is that Prust managed to score at all before? Or is that why it was so easy to land Prust as he probably damaged his hands and now can’t shoot to save the team, but hey at least he can fight all be it not very well, he had a tough time, you could tell Prust has damaged his hand. What good is a fighter with a broken hand? We all remember two seasons of Souray with a broken hand…..

Clearly this team is not going to make it with the top line of Cole, Pacioretty, we need a top scorer. And not having Subban showed the biggest weakness Montreal has, on defense.

You had Therrien bringing everyone back cause he know Markov can play hurt, nor can Gorges with his flexible body move anythign out of the way and what is left? No defense and you have what we saw the other team basically owning the habs.

10. timothy13 says:

The anticipation was high before the game last night and it nose dived right after the Habs goal was disallowed and then their penalty. It was 54 minutes of lackluster hockey much like last season. Still it is only one game yet in a shorten season two points are a big deal. A team can not afford to find themselves. Florida will be tougher on Tues therefore lets hope the Habs are prepared and ready to play. If they mail in their effort then lock them out!!!

11. remi_10069 says:

Prust looked good, they should have let him punch Brown in the face a few more times before stepping in…Boullion looked great, happy to see him back. Everyone else sucked..Kaberle, Markov, Gionta, old and slow. We’re fucked.

pipes

• Cape Breton says:

We gotta bring up some Bulldogs. Speaking of which, why didn’t Gallagher play, fer cryin’ out loud. Like LeBrun says, the best players on the ice for da leaves were “game shape” Marlies. Mikey has to go!!!!!

12. Cape Breton says:

That was sad. Like buddy said, only 47 games to go. Out played by da f—in lowly leaves. SAD, SAD,SAD!!!! Fire Mikey the coach already and bring back Carbo.

13. solomio says:

Why was Toronto better prepared than the Habs, in every aspect of the game?
    Also I don’t know if I could stand looking at Therrien’s mug through a losing season.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

14. JoaquindaPark says:

Yes this was a win for the Subban camp. But his demands remain unreasonable. And if Bergevin gives in, his tenure at the helm will be difficult. Hang in there Marc.

• nunacanadien says:

Yes hang in there like Gainey and Gauthier, let’s make sure we get into these Scott Gomez type contracts for no good players while we turn down the real good players like Subban. Like we let Halak walk away when we had a good combination in nets.

15. shrack says:

Somebody cue the famous speech my MT.

16. shootdapuck says:

McGuire is going to be unbearable this week!

Be prepared for a bunch of “if I was in charge(s)”!

17. matt jordan says:

The Canadiens looked and played like a last place team. I sure hope the whole team had a lot of rust because they sucked, up and down the ice. Nothing for offensive chances, nothing on the powerplay, nothing for passion/emotion.

If anyone saw anything else…

And it’s good to see BOONE is back. Go Habs, continue the rebuild

• Strummer says:

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

You keep saying the Habs are just unlucky.
    That they’re trying hard, and need to press.

Always regressin’ when they should be progressin’
    Yet others beat them and they’re still the best.

These Habs were made for Tanking™ and that’s just what they’ll do
    one of these days these Habs are gonna drop and gonna lose.

You keep passin’ when you oughta be shootin’
    the puck you’re losin’ when you drive the net.

You keep playin’ when the lines should be changin’.
    When there’s a fight, you’re on the losing bet.

These Habs were made for Tanking™ and that’s just what they’ll do
    one of these days these Habs are gonna drop and gonna lose.

You keep kneelin’ where you shouldn’t be kneelin’
    and you keep slinkin’ the puck goes high you get burnt.

The team just got another new gang of young draft picks
    And pretty soon the kids will start to learn.

These Habs were made for Tanking™ and that’s just what they’ll do
    one of these days these Habs are gonna drop and gonna lose.

Are you ready Habs? Start tankin’!

Boone’s fearless prediction: Marc Bergevin and Don Meehan will talk.

My fearless prediction: Bergevin won’t bend. If it takes all season to sign Subban it will take all season.

I would like to know what the two sides are offering. It’s time to bring them in light. Let us see where the differences are. Anything else is speculation.

Subban is an RFA. IMO he needs to cut his teeth more. Much more. If there is no agreement yet it is totally and solely on the Subban camp for not accepting the Habs offer.

• 44har48 says:

Thank you, again. You have more clout on here than some of us who feel the exact same way.

We can’t always voice it, for fear Tom Nickle will come head hunting for us for picking on his friend. If CBC was correct last night, and I doubt those clowns with red hair and big blue feet really know anymore than any of us, the 2 year deal MB is offering for $3M a year is low. I’d do 2 at $4-$4.5m tops, or 8 at $5-$5.5m. I’m not interested in buying out 1-2 yrs only of his UFA and I’d like him to take the 2 year deal like many players before him – stick to the plan and the precedent set with Max and Price. We have Eller, etc coming due don’t forget.

$6m/yr is simply ludicrous for him right now and I’m not even going there.

Finally, this team is not winning with or without him this year, he’s a RFA not UFA, so let him sit and pout.

20. NoTinFoilCups says:

Sure glad I didn’t pay over $400 to watch that cr*p!

• matt jordan says:

it’s best not to spend any money on the nhl, my rec league has better entertainment than that

and the montreal canadiens are still paying Gomez millions of YOUR dollars to not play hockey for them

21. stevieboy says:

I was at the game-

Good parts. Carey was great. Made some showstopping saves

Prust/Armston

Bad. Kaberle sucks. He should please go away.

Stevie

22. parkex says:

Jones or Mackinnon?

23. Propwash says:

Well, at least we ain’t Vancouver..

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Clay says:

Yeah, it would suck to have a better team than we do…not to mention a beautiful city and much warmer climate ;)

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

24. savethepuck says:

Obviously a frustrating night, was hoping for a much better effort, but way too many important pieces on this team were invisible tonight. Don’t get me wrong because I really like a lot of these players I’m about to mention. To me the invisible players were all of our first line of DD, Cole ( who’s a notorious slow starter ), and MaxP. DD may be the lesser of the 3 but still didn’t over excite me considering he played in Europe and should of been in game shape. Plex and Gio ( except for being in the right place at the right time and scoring our only goal, but he wasn’t that noticeable to me the other 59 plus minutes), Eller ( whom I’m a big fan of), Gorges ( but based on his defensive game that may be a good thing ). I find it strange people were saying Markov looked slow, I honestly think those are posters who want him to fail, think he’s fragile, and should be traded for picks or even bought out ( which is ridiculous ). I along with others I have chatted with tonight think he was one of the best Habs tonight. I see a few on here feel differently but can’t understand why.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Duke_Rauol says:

I thought Markov looked good, but i did cringe every time he got hit!

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• Trisomy 21 says:

I thought Markov played alright, but I did notice him lose a couple of foot races. I was thinking to myself he looked a little slow. BTW I am a huge Markov fan and so very much hope to see him teach PK a thing or two about what an elite defenseman is really made of.

25. Habilis says:

What would you rather have MB thinking right now?

A. “It’s one game, no biggie.”
    B. “Where’s my phone? I need to call Don Meehan.”
    C. “Excellent, it’s all going according to plan. Next stop, 2013 draft.”
    D. “These chocolate covered pretzels are amazing.”

26. kempie says:

This Subban thing is gonna get fugly.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I can’t belive we didnt hear the PK chant, unless i missed it texting a goofball leaf fan.

——————————————————————-

• Habilis says:

Fugly left town around the third day of training camp, it’s now fugly’s uglier, fatter, meaner cousin from the wrong side of the tracks.

27. The Dude says:

So from what we are hearing Berge is offering P.K. $2.5 Million PER FOR 2 years yet Gorges gets 3.9 mill per season…f’n ridicules offer!
    This team was made for Tanking
    and what are you gonna do
    when it tanks all over you!

28. habs001 says:

Price is going to get a ton of work this season…This d has no chance vs top teams. and combined with minimum scoring it will be a top 3 pick team…..Hopefully with a condensed sched teams will rest players vs the Habs…..reality is if this team was called anything than the Habs and you had no interest in the team but had to look at the roster and make a prediction on where it will finish most Hab fans would put them at near the bottom of the league…

29. jrshabs1 says:

I owe nuna a big fat apology. Habs stink. This whole week of work is going to stink more…Thanks Habs!

Go Habs Go!!

• The Dude says:

Fist of all jrhabs1 ,that was the “POST of the night” and secondly that apology was “far out dude” …takes a big man.
      PRETTY FUNNY HOW NUNA KICKED SOME TONIGHT :)

• savethepuck says:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. To say someone is right after 1 regular season game is a bit of a stretch.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

30. JF says:

A lot of negativity on here tonight… not surprising, I guess, after that sorry display. But it’s much too soon to panic. I don’t think we’ll have a real idea of how good or bad the team is until after about two weeks. First game in nine months, new coach, new system; it’s going to take a bit of tme.

Price was excellent. If he hadn’t been, the score would have been about 6-1. But I thought the team was a lot better in the third period. They were skating and passing better, and were a bit more synchronized.

In any case, if we’re really as bad as we looked tonight, we’ll be in line for another high draft pick. And it can’t be as painful as last year if only because it’s shorter.

31. Vid says:

ehh being called for spraying ice on a goalie is kinda weak…since it happens regularly and is rarely called. It’s one thing if pleks was doing that all night long and the ref was warning him to quit it.

32. port elgin says:

C’mon give the habs a break , they came up against a future hall of fame goaltender, Ben Scrivens.

new year, new cba, same garbage team

33. Stevie.Ray says:

Schneider gets the hook

34. jols101 says:

Luongo In – Schneider Out : That didn’t take long.

35. Bozo McBozo says:

Let the suck begin!!!

36. habstrinifan says:

I read and listened and said very liitle about all the platitudes coming from the Habs one week camp. All the guys were so impressed and so sure that they were in the presence of sheer genius. I didnt want to be accused of trolling so I went along with it all. Listened to all the interviews and all the wonderment at the organized, meticulous, etc etc chalkboard sageness of Michel Therrien. Gone was the Therrien of old. You rememebr him. This was a better more intellectual Therrien who felt that he had been morally upgraded enough that his priority was not to get his players to be play better hockey but wanted to get them (one in particular) to be better people. And all the players who already think that they are better people raved. Read his quotes and interviews. Read between the freakin lines!

Well Mr. Therrien. You did need to change somewhat. But what you seem to have given up totally is what was your truly indispensable attribue as a coach. Your passion! Yes you needed to and must temper it. But No Sir! You are NOT a chalkboard strategist. Your DO NOT … I repeat… YOU DO NOT have the foundation to be a hockey strategist. You never studied for that part. Allow your assistant coaches to do that.

You grab hold of your whip and kick some ass and stop trying to be a reformed elitist. And the people you have spoken to , and as a follower of the Canadiens I think I know who they are… the people you have spoken to that tell you that you should self-righteously embark on developing ‘better people’ in your dressing room … tell then that you are there for 3 years maybe less to get them to grab the f..ing puck and move it up and down the f..ing ice with passion and intensity and will to score and give us the fans a reason to rise out of our seats. Because many of the people in that dressing room with whom you have spoken have too long sold us the flim flam that they are nice wholesome guys who really really try like their recently departed pal who will soon be drawing two huge salaries did.

Enough is freakin enough!

37. Habs64 says:

Huberdeau 3 points in debut:)

38. Bob_Sacamano says:

6-0 and 36-14 shots on goal is what I call domination and not being the slightly less crappier team and winning by one goal…

39. habs001 says:

Markov is far from his top form and may never attain that…after that we have Diaz,Kaberle and Gorges to play the pp point..With that lineup pp goals will be at a premium…

40. punkster says:

Zzzzzzz….Zzzzzzz…Zzzzzz…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

41. CanadienBoy says:

Good that they lost now they know they have to work harder and the hell with Pgreedy they could have won have they play like the last 15 min.

42. durocher says:

Gallagher in, White sits?

• savethepuck says:

If it means Moen is bumped to 4th line and Gallagher gets at least 3rd line minutes.. He better not play on the 4th line.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Duke_Rauol says:

did White even play tonight? Never noticed him

——————————————————————-

• bel33 says:

Ran over the goalie… negated the first goal… ring a bell? Ahh crap… now I remembered it too!

• Duke_Rauol says:

i must have blocked that out lol, did he play after that?

——————————————————————-

43. Habilis says:

So PK and Meehan win round one. Does MB cave if the Habs look like that on tuesday?

44. Bozo McBozo says:

Gotta hand it to Burkie, he knew how to construct a team to beat the Habs. Just show up!

45. Propwash says:

Considering past performances from PK in the early season, I like the guy as a Hab, but he has the track record of starting off slow in the early goings, so if/when the team comes to an agreement, I wouldn’t expect a complete turnaround in the backend quite yet.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

Turnaround? No. But it would immediately put the Habs’ best defenseman back on the ice.

And this was a gamble Bergevin took with the odds heavily stacked against him.

I like Bergevin the person from what I’ve seen, and I really hope he develops into a great GM. But I do think it’s clear that he’s going through some significant growing pains on the job.

46. temekuhabs says:

Man, that was lousy hockey, The PP was atrocious, Vodkov looked slow, Kaberle was what I expected: an adventure
    PP 0/5 with no real pressure
    PK and Meehan can hear the cash register now…

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I hear The Tanks warming Their engines :)

48. Bozo McBozo says:

This team has absolutely no jam. Stick it in the can. Tank for Glory!

49. habs-fan-84 says:

what I would say, Is thIs team looks a lot better wIth PK in the lineup. MB is unfortunately going to have to pay up. Not too worried about his cap hit, with Price and PK, we’re solid back there.

50. Clay says:

I noticed (amidst their getting drubbed) that the Wings picked up ‘The Monster’ as their back-up goalie. How desperate a move was that?

__________________________

• Loonie says:

Goalies playing behind the Leafs aren’t always what they appear to be.

His numbers have probably been more of an indictment of the Leafs than himself.

• Clay says:

It is quite possible I have become biased by being here (still less than most though I like to think), but I don’t see much in the Monster. But as a back-up, well, maybe.
        One thing’s for sure though – the Wings looked awful tonight. Much worse than the Habs did. Although they played a much better team, so who can say for sure.

__________________________

51. AceMagnum says:

Um so, any chance the fantasy league players will end their strike anytime soon?….

52. munch17 says:

Pathetic game – and terrible power play.
    DD is not a top line centre – unless you’re in 15 th place.
    He cannot control the power – our first wave was terrible. And it was terrible last year.
    DD is a great story and very popular but ……………………

53. H.Upmann says:

Boy that PK commercial rings pretty hollow

• bel33 says:

I thought the same thing when it was on in the first period. And I hate that I’m thinking like that about PK. Let’s hope they agree soon on a reasonable amount/length.

54. habs001 says:

Plecks looks like will not produce the scoring he did earlier in his career..he will be a good checking centre with some scoring…Eller i know is loved by many but as of now he has not shown at any level that he is anything nore than a 15-18 goal scorer…Prust,Armstrong,White and Moen are basically 5-8 goal a season scorers…This team just does not have enough scoring even if the DD line repeats last years performance…

55. Old Bald Bird says:

For some reason I was expecting ALN in the morning this year, but I am happy either way. It’s good to have you back, Mike.

I think either MB or MT declared that 12 minutes would be acceptable for AG.

Why do the Leafs outskate the Habs in most games? At least until the Habs get desperate.

I am thinking that the team should abandon resurrecting the past as in the torch thing (which I loved at the time) until they have a team that has a chance of actually carrying it. Which may be a long, long time.

I am surprised at the big line playing so tame. How many times did Pax bring it down the wing and pass it off rather than charging to the net?

56. Bozo McBozo says:

This team has absolutely no jam. Stick it in the can. Tank for Glory!

57. Propwash says:

Seeing games like the Penguins vs. the Flyers makes me scared… That was quite the barnburner and right now, I don’t think the Habs stand a remote chance of keeping up with those two.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• bel33 says:

Those two teams looked like they were a level above the Laffs and Habs tonight. Crazy pace and hatred to that game. I’m tuning in for the next four those two play against each other.

58. habs-fan-84 says:

Really? people are already ready to panIc? SerIouly, some peole need to eIther lay off the booze or get theIr emotIons In check.

ChIll out.

59. aj says:

Man, that Patches-DD-Cole line really did a good job doing a sloppy game-play. Bravo!!

Some 1st-line combo….ppfff!!

One thing also worth mentioning as a concern somewhat is Brandon Prust. If he starts to be a tough-guy like enforcer, somewhat of a role that Matt Cooke was doing, this team will have a problem. Staubitz is gone and we don’t need a dude doing boxing matches in these crucial games this shortened season.

60. Loonie says:

For the not so over reactionary crowd. Something to watch is the DD line. Last year they snuck up on everybody. Quite often guys were forgotten with two defensive players on the puck carrier. Opposing teams won’t be falling asleep this season. They’ll have to beat checks to score. Chemistry itself won’t do the trick.

61. durocher says:

Souray scores for Anaheim. Not to worry, we have Kaberle and Diaz.

62. Loonie says:

Jagr wanted to be a Hab. 4 points tonight with a brand new team.

• Duke_Rauol says:

Kovalev had 3 points , should they have signed him ?

——————————————————————-

63. jedimyrmidon says:

Hope Therrien gives the original forward lineup another try before putting Bourque on LW again.

Sure, they looked bad tonight, but I don’t think it’s already time to shuffle everything. I don’t think they’ll look like this from hereon out if the original combinations are used.

64. Say Ash says:

at least there were no too many men penalties

65. aj says:

I was watching the Hot Stove after the last 2 periods of the game. I don’t agree w/ most of the gimmicks but what I do agree right now is that if the Habs lose tonight (which they did), Molson would have to presurre Bergie to “call Don Meehan” for a PK deal.

• Good idea. Trade PK to Edmonton for a kid that can actually put the puck in the net.
      And while you are at it, get rid of anyone who cannot figure out what constitutes a bad penalty…. Like two that put you down 4 out of first 5 minutes of the first period and result in a goal…. or the really stupid, selfish penalty that accomplishes NOTHING and costs you the game winning goal. I usually really like Pleks but that stunt tonight reminds me too much of the selfish, stupid plays that have plagued this team for a lot of years. You either have to be a good player or a smart player to stay in the league, but you need a lot of both to succeed. Until these guys decide (or the coach decides for them ala White tonight) that that they want to be both, we are all in for another really disappointing season.

Ch EJ

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Dude u said trade PK to Edmonton 3 times now just quit it already. He’ll be signed hes not going anywhere. We need defenseman more than anything right now. As far as the penalties go the first two called were total crap.

66. kmachabs27 says:

U think last year was bad? loook out.

67. WindsorHab-10 says:

Bettman sucks.

68. bel33 says:

Jesus… I’m waffling on paying to get RDS added to my package.
    I don’t want to as it’s a short season and might not go that well… but I CANNOT watch another game on CBC with all the homers and Toronto-centric everything.
    It’s too much… and I live in Toronto!!!!

69. Say Ash says: