About last night …

No, this can’t be happening again.

We saw this movie a year ago: the Canadiens sitting in sixth-place with four games to play and a four-point bulge on ninth.

No, not again .. our nerves can’t take it.

Arpon Basu breaks down the playoff picture, and it isn’t pretty.

As I noted in Quick Hits, your Montreal Canadiens Canadiens play three of their final four games on the road. All are against opponents who won’t make the playoffs, but that’s no guarantee your road non-warriors will play well.

The boys have a day off today while Jacques Martin and his staff try to re-assemble the pieces of a team that was challenging for the Northeast Division lead two weeks ago.

Remember when we were talking about Carey Price for the Vézina and Hart trophies? Martin for the Jack Adams?

What happened?

Two seat-of-the-pants/I-slept-badly-last-night answers: Injuries caught up with the defence, and they used Price too much.

Plus a lack of depth at forward.

Yes, Cam Ward has played as much as Price. But the Carolina goaltender is more experienced, and Ward doesn;t deal with the pressure of having to be perfect every time out for his team to have a shot at winning.

I’d call the D a train wreck, but trains don’t move that slowly. To the extent that James Wisniewski was a great acquisition, Brent Sopel is a bust. A Band-Aid for the penalty kill is a gushing wound at even strength.

Travis Moen and Jeff Halpern are not and never have been Top Six forwards.

Their potential suggests Andrei Kostitsyn and Benoit Pouliot are top-line talents. AK46 has shown flashes, but Benny breaks out hearts.

And speaking of heartbreak, should I even mention Max Pacioretty?

Lars Eller made a mistake last night, and Jacques Adams nailed his ass to the bench.

I know Price has to be perfect, but is that standard being applied to the skaters?

And if it were, how might the demand for perfection affect the ice time of Scott Gomez, Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta and Michael Cammalleri?

Deux poids, deux mesures, as we say in Quebec. Happy Jack likes veterans.

Martin’s Adams Family is in sixth place with four games left.

Be very afraid.

•  •  •

Views from the Commentariat:

From phillyhab:

Notes from the game I was lucky/unlucky enough to get seats for:

-our best outlet pass came from Carey Price. That’s not good.

-Subban is a joy to watch. Non-stop energy from jump street. And I think after tonight his PP time won’t be a question.

-Wiz looked SLICK in the neutral zone to draw the penalty. Where’s those moves on the regular?

-on the bench, the team looks deflated from the anthem on. No passion. Cammy and Pleks are pictures of frustration; Gomez looks frustrated, but at OTHER players.

-Gionta wears the ‘C’, but Hal Gill seems like the captain.

-They put up a ‘in memory’ placard for a soldier from the NC area on the jumbotron — Gomez looked up, and started tapping his stick on the boards, then the team followed. I thought that was interesting, and classy.

-It’s a pretty quiet building. They must’ve jacked up the audience mics. Really nice fans, and great Habs support.

-Roman Hamrlik looks YOUNGER in person.

-Sopel sucks.

From Matt H:

There’s a mad scramble of the top three teams to face the Habs in the first round. Boston, Washington or Phillidelphia would love to face the Canadiens. Each of those teams made deals at the deadline to bolster themselves for a run at the Cup, while the Canadiens made moves to patch up their shaky defense.

-Washington added a veteran centre (Arnott) and a puck moving defenseman (Wideman). This filled the hole the Caps had for a number 2 centre while adding insurance on the back end. Washington has seemingly found their defensive game, and add to that a few players who can only be described as elite/dominant and the Caps will be very difficult for their first round opponent. Not to mention they might like revenge against the Canadiens for last years collapse.

-Boston added speed (Peverley & Kelly) and a puck moving defenseman (Kaberle). The Bruins play tough and intimidating and have the best goalie in the NHL. Chara is a unique player who is uncomparable in the way he combines size, skill and intimidation. Their lineup is a mixture of youth, veteran savvy, skill, toughness and now more speed. I hate them, but they are better than Montreal on every front.

-Phillidelphia added Versteeg, but didn’t need to make any moves as they proved their run to the finals was not a fluke, unlike the Canadiens run. The Flyer’s have three centres, Carter, Richards and Giroux who are better than anyone the Canadiens have, including Plekanec. The Canadiens have better goaltending, but if you remember last year Michael Leighton had three shutouts versus the Canadiens, so i doubt the Flyers are worried about containing the Canadiens.

-Canadiens added Paul Mara and Brent Sopel, who take Picard and Weber’s place and as far as I can tell the difference is negligible. As far as I am concerned not one of those four should be even playing as Markov and Gorges would add a new top pairing to the Habs. The Canadiens have small, inconsistent forwards, a slow defense and a talented but exhausted goaltender. They’ve sandwiched a three game streak of no goals with blow-outs to the Rangers and Hurricanes with two wins against horrible teams (Atlanta and Minnesota).

If I was a player/fan/coach of the Bruins/Flyers/Capitals (which i am not) i’d be very comfortable playing a small, soft team in the first round.

From gK_HabsFan:

Whats frustrating here is that the team cant even win a fucking game for the goalie! This guy just saved your asses the night before, so how does the team respond? $%^#ING FLATT!

It must be so frustrating to be Price right now. On any other team with relatively better offence, this guy has easily 5-10 more wins.

Its come to a point where this team just doesn’t win if he has a normal to average game! Hell, the only way this team has a chance to win is if he lets in only ONE bloody goal. That’s pathetic!

I hope PG opens his eyes in the offseason, cuz in all honesty this season is lost. I’ll be VERY surprised if this team manages to win playoff round. Anyways, this team needs offence, and it needs it BAD!

I don’t like blaming JM for loses, but I didn’t like some of his moves in the game. Few things:

1) After Cammy’s goal, he put out Gill and Sopel on D…. SERIOUSLY? easily the two slowest guys on defence.

2)After the second Skinner goal, Eller barely played. I admit Eller made a bad play, but if thats the case, Sopel should have been benched too. What kind of msg is that sending to the young guy!?
“The whole team sucks, but you’re being punished” I just wish that the vets were held accountable for their mistakes too…

I understand we have injury issues, but its the same damn story year after year. I hate always battling for 8th spot, its too frustrating.

I wasn’t old enough to remember the 93 habs championship, but over the last 10 years, this team seems to be developing a loser attitude, where just making the playoffs is an achievement.

Im beginning to loose my patience here, and i’m only 20…

1. rtytrdytr says:

Good news: http://www.vipstores.net —-
    hello!like shopping friend can come to my website to buy the

things you like cheap will make you satisfied thanks !!!
    ( http://www.vipstores.net ) Here are the most

popular, most stylish and avant-garde

shoes,handbags,Tshirts, jacket,Tracksuit w

,R4,NZ,OZ,T1-TL3) $35HANDBGAS(COACH,L V, DG, ED

HARDY) $35TSHIRTS (POLO ,ED HARDY, LACOSTE) $16

— NHL Jersey Woman $ 30 —**** NFL Jersey $20
    — NBA Jersey $ 18 —**** MLB Jersey $ 30
    — Jordan Six Ring_m $30 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45
    — T-Shirt_m $ 15 —**** Jacket_m $ 30
    — Hoody_m $ 30 —**** Manicure Set $ 20
    as long as the new and old customers to buy the corresponding
    product on this site, both a gift, so stay tuned! !

( http://www.vipstores.net )

( http://www.vipstores.net )

2. NorthernHab says:

I remain positive. We have an injury plagued team. The veterans appear to be resting their weary bones prior to the show. The coach is silent but worried…

Others on this site speak of Plan B… At the end of a season such as this, with the depth of our bench, and with the injuries we are clearly playing through, it doesn’t surprise me how the regular season is ending.

The last two games are the key to having confidence heading into the post season. I’d rather win the first two games of the first series than the last 4 of the regular season.

Go Habs Go

• habstrinifan says:

“I remain positive.” It’s always great to be positive and I applaud you for that. But geez the rest of your post.. the logic you use for the team’s woes. I hope they (JM and the players) have a surer grasp on reality between now and the start of the playoffs than you do.

Cammy, or is it Gomez, saying that they dont want to end this season playing as badly as they did at last season’s end hints that they do. Hopefully they (coaches-players ) will find answers.

But please let them be more realsitic than your ‘excuses’.

3. StevieM61 says:

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

4. xiaoqinluiii says:

( http://www.urltwit.com//371 )

We can supply series of Sport Jersey.

The detail is as follow.:

Product features:

Heavyweight Mesh Body

Printed Name Plate

Dazzle Side Slits

Drop Tail

Authentic Embroidered NFL Equipment Logo on Neck

Screen Print Numbers on Front, Back & Sleeves or Shoulders

100% Nylon

Sell Details: http://www.urltwit.com//371

5. StevieM61 says:

Last thing we need is another last game of the regular season where the stinkin Leafs can decide our fate…
    Had this nightmare before…now I am forced to drink heavily to stave off the nightmares..
    Wife does not like the snoring but she can take one for the team.
    That’s what I keep telling myself . .
    Maybe 2nd wife will be more understanding :)

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

6. nek25plus says:

First mistake…Price in back to back. (All year long) Buffalo had the guts to put in their back up and won, and they are worse off than us.

Second mistake…blaming everything on Gomez. We have many other over priced players (as they put it) that we can SHARE the blame! Don’t ya think people!!!

7. V says:

Well, just back from 5 days in the UK. The fear and loathing quotient has gone way up on HIO. As Boone says, isn’t this the team everyone was raving about 2 weeks ago?

They have hit a rough patch no question. And I suspect it really isn’t anything more than that.

8. RGM says:

“The hyperdrive motivator has been damaged. It’s impossible to go to lightspeed.”

“We’re in trouble.”

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

Did Boone just call out not only Gomez but also Cammilleri, Plekanec and The Captain? Boy, that is heavy stuff. Habs must really stink.

10. Habsfan16 says:

Every year it’s always the same thing. The last 10 games of the season are stinkers. I am so fed up of “the system”, it’s not even funny anymore. When a Leafs fan tells you “It must be hard being a Habs fan right now” …. there’s something definitely wrong.

Every game they are down 1 – 0, 2-0 early and the cameras points to the bench & you can see the guy’s faces. They’re saying” here we go again!” JM has no emotion, and it reflects on his team. Why is it so hard to take a time out, and freak out at the guys? I mean FREAK!!! And not let Muller do the talking. JM take the initiative. It must be hard for Muller, no wonder he’s leaving after this season. And it will break my heart seeing him go. And if JM stays, I’m scared to see the robot he’s going to hire.

I’m a very frustrated Habs fan right now.

Bring Hartley to Montreal!

• G-Man says:

I am calling BS. There were many times last night Martin was behind the bench prowling back and forth urging his players on.
      This JM has no emotion stuff is utter crap. Reading posts here you would swear he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about his team winning. And that, as they say on the farm, is udder nonsense.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

11. PureGuava says:

As it stands today, Carey Price is the only young player that Jaques Martin has ever coached that has not been severely punished for his mistakes.

Pouliot, Eller, PK…..Spezza..

I’m so sick of Gomez getting 20 minutes a game to do nothing while he nails kids to the bench for any indiscretion. Eller and Benny deserve a longer leash. Let them play! This is the organization that stood behind their franchise goalie when his play didn’t warrant it. This is not an attack on Price at all. If anything i’m saying that sticking with Price has worked, so why not give the same chance to succeed to a couple of the other young players on the team. I can give you 7.3 million reasons why sticking with Gomez is not the right way to go.

Quick hit: It’s been reported that if the Wild had not taken Benny 4th overall, Bob would have instead of Carey. Would Benny have been given the same opportunity that Carey has had to succeed if he was our lottery pick and not The Wild’s?

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

• tbovs says:

There is no other alternative…I am in agreement.. get rid of him even if its only for a bag of pucks and cement but you have no choice. This year we are stuck. Eller is not ready to take over the responsibilites yet and I don’t thnk could handle 25 mins i.e. your number one centre mins. Pleks is your 1b but can’t carry the offensive load either. So your stuck and praying for the G&G show to click.

7.3 mill reasons…your darn right but there are also no alternatives as we speak right now. in the offseason yes … not so much now.

• PureGuava says:

Then throw some minutes Davey’s way – Split them between Eller & Desjarnes. Get Gomer down to about 12 minutes a game until he picks up his game, and until then let the kids pick up theirs.

• tbovs says:

In the first half of the season yes but not right before the playffs…it aint gonna happen. We are stuck with this lineup and its up to JM to wring every ounce of jump out of em

12. G-Man says:

Yawn, same old whiny stuff. A 3 game win streak? The Habs are contenders. Have a bad stretch? Habs are the worst in the league with the worst coaching, general manager and all or most of players are worst ever to lace them up.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• Habitoban says:

I thought Benny had a pretty good game all things considered, and was one of the more spirited and effective forwards. It helps that he actually got 12 minutes of TOI, although some of that was on the challenging Gomez line. It seems to me that offensive players, unkike bangers, need to stay warm and loose and keep their timing, so they need time on the ice. A bit unfair to expect an offensive player to put up numbers while chillin’ on the bench.

• HardHabits says:

Contenders? You are joking right.

13. Arrow77 says:

One mistake many people makes IMO is to give full credit to the coach when the team plays well defensively and blame only the players when the team can’t score. As much as the right personnel (Plekanec, Gill) can help a defensive system be successful, a good system should help talented players score more goals.

I don’t necessarily think we should play “run and gun” but a team with Subban, Wisniewski and Weber playing on the blue line shouldn’t have every single one of his scorers having a bad year.

You can tell a coach his having a good year when the team on the ice plays as good or better than the team should on paper. There’s too many disappointments this season for Martin to pretend he’s doing his job well.

• G-Man says:

Yeah, now Martin has to show them how to score. He has been telling them ad nauseum to go to the f!cking net. If the players don’t do it, does he have to bench all of them?

• Arrow77 says:

Well, he could start by benching some of them sometimes instead of always targetting the young players.

As for teaching them how to score, I wouldn’t go as far but he could use a system more adapted to them. Telling midgets like Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec and Cammalleri to go to the net isn’t going to produce a ton of goals. These players will score most of their goals on the rush or on the perimeters, not in the dirty areas.

• tbovs says:

Mistakes players make is a reflection of them not the coach…you can implant a system and a philosophy…if the team does not execute the coach can’t pick up his PS3 controller and fix things. In the thick of things. … wiz is a good puck mover…Weber isn’t ready at all…although I think he is better than Picard by far and Subban is ready but does that mean we need to play fly by night hockey with ye old flying V … not quite. Our play is indicitive of the coaching system in place and with the amount of talent we have on this team…40+ wins is a damn good coaching job. We are not the most talented team in the league and if you want to play like washington you need players like washington which 3rd line could be our first line starters and then some.

JM has done as good a job as anyone could have the last two years. Put another coach inthere that would have been on the market and the result would be the same if not worse. If you say GB from TB than all I have to say is look where they are now…strugglinghto say the least and stamkos and st. louis are invisible most nights.

People need to layoff Martin and focus on the problems …. 2 of our top six or supposed top six are underwhelming signifigantly i.e. Gomez and Pouliot. When your topline centre is having it tough your not going to win many games, doesnt matter who you have on his wing. Then there are those that say that he is not our number one cenre….the 7.3 price tag says he is so you compare numbers and he sux. Right now there is no option to replace him either in or out of organization so we have to stick with him regardless….

It isn’t JM’s fault Gomez hates it here and that Markov is injured forever and that the D’s talent level is only as good as a superstar rookie who right now would be hard pressed to crack top 3 in Nashville (PK is going to be great but still a work in progress every night). So its also JM’s fault the Cammileri is injured for parts of the season and can’t get a rythym going although last nights goal was great down low. So I am opposite to you…I thnk JM should get credit when we win and when we lose I think we should blame the real problems instead of the Scapegoated ones.

14. petefleet says:

“Canadiens added Paul Mara and Brent Sopel, who take Picard and Weber’s place and as far as I can tell the difference is negligible.”

On this point I beg to differ. The Habs were winning with Picard and Weber in the line up. Mara and Sopel are bigger (?) but not as mobile or talented.

As for blame, let’s look at who’s doing better this year compared to last. It’s a very short list. Are you ready? It’s the whipping boys. That’s right. The guys most of you love to hate. AK46, Pouliot and Hammer. That’s it. The rest are worse than last year, statistically. Our bacon, the top 2 lines, are all struggling this year (no revelation there). Hard to win like that. What’s more amazing is that AK46 and Pouliot have improved with limited ice time and a parade of linemates….even some bench time. 1/3 of the salary cap, 4 guys, don’t get the job done night after night and 46, 57, and 44 are to blame. ‘Hammer is too slow to play against Staal’ was the buzz last night. Staal had 1 assist last night.
    Anyway, my perspective from the chair.

***Habs Forever***

15. punkster says:

Tough to be a Habs fan but I’m still on the bandwagon.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. Mr.Hazard says:

Loved this ALN Boone. Short, accurate, and to the point.

Also, I lol-ed at “Jacques Adams”.

17. smiler2729 says:

I have an issue with the handling of Larry Eller.

I know this isn’t only a Habs thing cuz a lot of other teams do it but a lot of teams don’t and that’s inserting a rookie into their lineup in the right situation.

If Eller is projected to be a top 6 forward, then give him top 6 minutes. Don’t saddle him on a checking line or a 4th line with linemates of a different ilk.

If you don’t want to bring him along in the proper situations, let him play that in AHL. They’ve wasted a whole damn year, screwing this guy. Why? Because of the politics of the Halak trade.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

*Perfectly content as a HABS I/O member for 3 years 16 weeks… now forced here, grrrrrrr.

18. Tighthead says:

D’Agostini with #20 last night.

• smiler2729 says:

I think every St. Louis Blues player hit the 20 goal mark last night.

D’Agostini had his chance here and scored 4 or 5 goals in 60ish games… I think most players die here under the pressure and expectations.

19. tony d says:

gK_Habsfan summed it up best. I think we’re all tired of this team’s lack of effort. We’re tired of the excuses, (injuries, other team needed the W more than us, back to back games) It truly is the same movie year after year. Except this year, we just might get squeezed out. Maybe it’ll be a good wake up call to Gauthier and co. if we do finish in 9th. As embarrassing as that scenario sounds, it’s probably the best medicine to turn this stinking wreck around.

20. Max_a_million says:

hmmm … I find it interesting that when I was concerned about Sopel’s lack of passing skills a few days ago, I was avalanched with thumb downs.
    It’s a problem.

21. smiler2729 says:

Ahh, yes, we must be nearing playoff time cuz the Habs, not yet clinched to the big party, have decided to suck.

Why not, it makes it much more exciting for the fans. We love questioning every aspect of the team on blogs, websites, radio shows and in all the pubs and taverns. Yeah baby!

Woo. Frickin’. Hoo.

I refuse to believe that the Martin defensive ‘system’ is the only way to succeed with this cast of characters. If it is, then it’s slap in the face to Gainey, Gauthier and their scouts who have signed, dealt for and drafted these players.

Are playmakers like Plekanec and Gomez and snipers like Cammy and Gionta really that hamstrung by ‘the system’?

I guess the bigger question for you – is the coach a victim of the players or are the players victims of their coach?

Now having said all this, watch the Habs go out and beat New Jersey, Ottawa, Chicago and Toronto.

Maybe we should quit worrying, pointing fingers, calling for heads and just enjoy the annual pre-playoff ride.

Enjoy whatever you use to cope responsibly.

P.S. The Thumbs Up/Down are no more, COOL!

22. FastCentennial says:

Habs next game is vs NJ Devils they play hard defensive style like the habs and can grind down low. The Habs need to expose the Devils at the netural zone.
    D-pairings
    Subban – Gill
    Wiz – Hamrlik
    Picard – Weber/Mara
    Plz don’t play Sopel won’t be affective for Sat game and also can’t wait for Spacek love hi game defensively.

Habsnation is still standing.

23. Gentlemen, it appears we are all aware of the problems with the team today, PG and JM benching instead of building up the young talent that we do have (PK). My feeling is that it isn’t just the players now that have been completely deflated, but coaches as well. It would be important for the Habs, as much as I’d hate to see it, miss the playoffs this year. Perhaps then Molson would Kick out PG, build the team with it’s substantial farm prospects and rebuild for the next three years instead of trying to make something out of this hodge podge team of B-listers. Unfortunately, I don’t think Molson cares as long as the Bell center keeps selling out. Montreal fans need to send a message since all of us are fed up with watching a half effort in must win games. I’ve had enough after watching the exciting teams of the late 60′s, 70′s and for the most part 80′s. For you youngans, it has been torture since the ’93 cup. To talk of Montreal as a hockey city is one thing, otherwise, there is no dynasty anymore. it is shocking and shameful how this team has been developed or not considering the resources available to it despite the lack of support from a totally US centric Bettman and NHL organization. Frankly, I think they’d love nothing more than for the Habs to fold and move to some back-woods outpost like Kansas City.

More to come!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Oldschool, all good points, and I think I was in class with you (or one or two grades behind). Wanted to point out that not all posters here are men, nor are all the men here gentlemen!

Kansas City? How about, The Quebec Canadiens?

Cheers

• Dunboyne, my sincere apologies and thanks for giving me the heads up. Agree with all you said and sure, why not the Quebec Canadiens except that Bettman and the NHL power brokers would would never allow it.

More to come!

24. havok says:

I may be out to lunch, but the “system” is not meant for 82 games, its meant to play cup contenders and playoffs, I compare it to goalie using the butterfly 100%, shouldn’t be done, its a “save” not a “style”, JM’s system over uses the vets and kills the young guys, I saw sparks of Pouliot last night, USE him, and if he F’s up again, then bench him, allow Eller to correct his mistake, not by benching him, JM does that EVERY game and we have no results from it, a poster yesterday quoted Einstein, and its is so dead on, when you are a coach or any leader you have to be open minded and change things up, and for crying outload can the coaches please be more AGRESSIVE, more passionate! I hate BURKE but he gives his fans something to chew on..I am done…thank you

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree on ‘the system’. It’s not that it can’t succeed, because we’ve seen that it can. It’s that it can’t excel. It’s the difference between trying to have a good season, or seasons, and trying to win the Cup. I don’ t see JM or his system ever winning the Cup.

25. JF says:

This is the time when teams gear up for the playoffs. The Rangers, Sabres, and Hurricanes have been in playoff mode for a month. Meanwhile, the Habs are playing their worst hockey of the season. Most games are simply too painful to watch. Our defence is slow and disorganized, our top forwards can’t score, and JM clearly has little confidence in the kids. I’m sure Price is tired; he looks exhausted after the games, and his face is thinner than it was.

These last two weeks have been a disaster. We ought to have locked up a playoff spot by now so we could have rested Price and some of the veterans. Instead, we’re scrambling just to make it. Last year, needing two points in the final week, we played our worst game of the week against the Hurricanes; I hope last night was our worst game of this scramble but I’m by no means sure of it. Our games against the Devils rarely go well, Chicago will be playing with desperation, and the Senators over the last month have been looking good. It could very well come down to the final game – and if it does, I wouldn’t bet on us.

26. Captain aHab says:

I spend one week in Mexico and the team turns to crap. But I’m back now so all will be good.

27. notbigbird says:

Can we please have a few more smug statements like, “JM has really ruined Eller, hasn’t he?”

I can’t imagine that too many people really think that JM is a good manager of human resources. His system can and does work when all goes well, but I will never be able to appreciate his handling of personnel. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong again this year, but I don’t think he’s the guy for this era.

• ManApart says:

I think the only reason the habs are in a playoff spot is Martin’s system. There is no other system that this team can play to make them successful. The depth isn’t there for run and gun, you can’t play a tough, grinding forecheck game with this soft team. You just have to play a defence first, protect your goalie and have great special teams with this group.

I’ve seen the system do wonders at times during the year. Without it this team is not in the playoffs. Th problem is, if the team isn’t playing the system perfectly, they can get totally exposed. A good team can also bust the system by applying heavy pressure to the defense, if they have the big, tough speedy forwards to do it.

I don’t know if Martin doesn’t belong in this era, but I certainly do know Gainey and Gauthier don’t.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree with your analysis, in short, that even if we hate the system, we’d be in a worse place without it given our current personnel.

What do you think of my point (above), that the system can never win a Cup?
        Cheers

• ManApart says:

I think it’s more this group of players can’t win a Cup. In the playoffs you need to play well defensively, no question, but you need to have the ability to change your game when needed. Push hard to get a tying goal 5 on 5 when needed,or take it to the other team physically when needed. You just can’t sit back and hope your goalie can save your ass and then score a few pp goals. Last year they did this and because of the Halak miracle they won a few rounds. It is still not a recipe for success.

So, yes I think this system can win a Cup, as seen by the Devils a few times. But no matter what system you play, you need the players to win. The Devils had offense when needed and were tough as nails. I don’t believe Montreal can come close to a Cup, no matter what system they play.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah, wasn’t thinking of the Devils. And you’re right, they played a similar system but they were also multi-faceted — I’m thinking of the various aspects of Scott Stevenson’s game, and we don’t have anyone remotely like that (unless Max-Pac evolves that way).

Last year’s miracle is what fuels the implicit optimism in the statement, ‘the playoffs are a whole new season’. But games like last night’s erode your faith in miracles.

Cheers

28. HabsFansince49 says:

After this season is over we may be told that all players with the exception of a few rookies and sophomores played injured since Xmas. How else can you explain the awful play of Plekanec, Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri (despite goal last night) and company?
    Not to jump on the bashing Martin campaign, but it is old style punitive coaching when you bench a young player for 1 mistake and allow the above mentioned veterans to demonstrate an uncanny lack of desire and execution of passes and shots.
    As for this season, I think the Habs have a problem.

29. smiler2729 says: