About last night …

PriceCalgary

(Photo by Stuart Gradon of the Calgary Herald)

They say brevity is the soul of wit.
Hope so, because this is the shortest ALN EVER.
It’s going on midnight in Calgary and I have to be on a 7:30 a.m. flight to Edmonton, where the Canadiens will practice Wednesday afternoon.

Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & mail has seen a lot more hockey than I have.

Duhatschek was kind enough to give Marc Antoine Godin and me a lift back to the hotel, and en route he rhapsodized about the good old days of Flames-Canadiens hockey.

These teams are a long way removed from the Stanley Cup finals.

Ravaged by injuries, Calgary had six AHLers in the lineup and won anyway.

The other day, a Calgary broadcaster was talking about the Flames being in “no man’s land”. They are close enough to to a playoff spot – 11th place, two points out of eighth – to create the illusion that Calgary is a decent hockey team that only requires minor tinkering, as opposed to the major rebuild this observer thought was necessary.

We harbour no such fantasies in Montreal.

The Canadiens are bad, and they’ve been bad – with gusts to very bad – all season.

The irony is a major rebuild might not be necessary.

There is a good core of young players – including Max Pacioretty, who popped a couple against the Flames.

Lottery draft pick, a new coach and general manager, some buyouts, the return of Andrei Markov …

Well, I’ve lapsed into delirium.

This old fart needs his beauty sleep.

More from Edmonton tomorrow.

1. strunzo says:

Canadiens are ahead of the entire NHL. They are into robotics. Gainey is a robot, Gauthier is a robot, Martin was a robot, Cunnyworth is a robot, I don’t have a category for Carriere, who doesn’t have one iota of coaching experience, other than he is a spy for Gauthier. The only guy that has any kind of personality is Randy Ladouceur. Does he speak French?

2. Michael says:

I concur with Boone that a major rebuild might be unnecessary, although my hopes aren’t high for Markov. Personally, I would be surprised if he ever played again without his knee quickly relapsing and forcing a frustratingly prolonged retirement. I like the young players in this system and think that Price/PK/MaxPac represent potential franchise players at each of the three position-types. I am encouraged by the team’s late-season pursuit of toughness, a vital component of NHL hockey long-forgotten by this franchise. This might be a baseless suggestion, but I really think the Habs need a new strength & conditioning trainer, because it seems as though they have run high in the injury department for at least a decade, and are too easily out-muscled by opponents even when body size doesn’t explain it.

3. Michael says:

I’m growing concerned that the Leafs are trying to snag our draft lottery position, as if to say, “You think you guys can just waltz in here after season-upon-season of making or competing for the playoffs and tank a quick year for a high draft choice while we have been steadily avoiding the playoffs without materializing a good draft position since the lockout? Uh-uh, brah, eff that.”

4. PeterD says:

I think we are placing too much blame on Pierre Gauthier…when the real source of the rapid destruction of the illustrious Habs, the most storied and classy franchise in all of hockey clearly lies in the person of Geoff Molson.
    Since Molson’s arrival and participation this team has completely collapsed into a very sorry state that will not be improved by one high draft pick, new coach and new GM…oh yeah, these will definately help. But until Molson is removed from hockey operations by the Habs ownership group this team is doomed.
    If Molson wants to play the rich kids spoiled games of owning a hockey team then he should buy a Junior team and leave the big leagues to professional qualified hockey people.
    This guy has destroyed the Habs with more precision that a guided cruise missle lauched right at the very heart of the franchise.

• chilli says:

Blaming an owner is ridiculous. He wasn’t going to come in and fire everyone right off the bat. He had to go with what was a Gainey/Gauthier plan and stick with it. It hasn’t worked. Judge the owner by his next moves.

You sound like the Republicans blaming the economy of Obama. Somehow they forgot the 8 years prior that put us there.

Tre

• PeterD says:

Molson has sat on his hands for a year and let Gauthier and Gainey completely erode this teams class and competetiveness…simply look at this season from start to finish.
        Molson should have acted by now to relieve the GM and Gainey of their positions with the team.
        To have done nothing but throw Cunneyworth under the Franco bus and leave him oin place for the reaminder of the season as a “lame duck” coach after he was put in place is inexcusable for an active owner.
        To do nothing when Cammi is traded in mid game the way he was and not address this by getting a new GM in place is inexcusable.
        His moves and non-moves this season demonstrate a complete lack of class and respect for players,coaches and fans…
        Today’s team is a direct reflection of Molson’s incompetence as the overall director for this team.
        Believe me I am judging Molson on his present moves.

And hey let’s not get politics into it…Obama is an idiot and has sat by watching the USA burn and done nothing to help it…get rid of him.

• LA Loyalist says:

No President has ever won re-election with an approval rating of 44% – which is where he sits at the moment. The Republicans could run Brian Mulroney and win in November, so hang on.

The American Pierre Elliot Trudeau is about to get fired.

• habstrinifan says:

This post as as much merit as PG’s acquisition of Kaberle!

• LA Loyalist says:

I hope you’re not an economics major, because you’ll flunk.

As for your hockey analysis, I agree with you. Molson will be judged on what he does next.

That said, the Cammi move was classless and embarassing, and I would have had Gauthier’s head on a plate for it the next morning.

The Habs are a lottery pick away from contending.

And 3 NHL defence men away. And a goal tender away. And two top 6 forwards away. And a #1 centre away. And a 4th line away. And a new coach and a new GM away. And putting Bob Gainey out to pasture away.

Apart from that, they are close.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Gee, maybe they should go into the witness protection program. You know, move to another city and change their name.

• Michael says:

A goaltender away? Come on. You’ve been so good at the I-told-you-so game lately, don’t blow it now.

• HardHabits says:

Yes a goal-tender away. The Habs will not win a Cup on the backs of one goal-tender alone. Price cannot play 72 games and then be expected to win 4 series after that. The Habs need a goaltending tandem. Somebody to challenge Price for his position. Somebody to step in when he tires or craps the bed. He has had one good season and zero good play-offs since he’s entered the NHL. Too much is being put on his shoulders. It is a recipe for failure. The Habs need to start drafting goaltenders too. Price should never feel that his job is his or secure because of divine right. He needs to earn it. Something he hasn’t yet. Up to now it has been handed to him on a silver platter.

• Michael says:

Oh, I see what you meant. A second goaltender. I thought you meant a replacement for Carey. My apologies. Play on!

(I think he has earned it though. Sure, the job was handed to him without sufficient merit but I believe he’s been one of the league’s best goalies since then).

• HardHabits says:

I think he could be. He’s shown signs of it. He’s also shown signs of complacency and nonchalance. Those latter tendencies I believe have crept into his game because he has been handed the starting position to soon in his career and with out him really having to take charge of the role due to merit.

• PeterD says:

Had to laugh …I almost choked on Hard Habits first line there, until I finished reading the rest…for sure it is going to take a lot more that a lottery pick this year to save this franchise and turn them miraculously into winners in contention for the cup.
      I am almost hoping at the draft they take a solid defensive defenseman instead of a big offensive genious…why? Because it is all but guarrenteed the coaching staff will try to “develop” the talented offensive player into a “more complete” player by making him “more responsible in our own end”…the “defensive part of the game”…this is clearly code for “beat the offense out of the kid until he has lost any confidence he may have once had and becomes a clone of so many other mediocre third line forwards in this league”.
      I know I sound a wee bit bitter, but seriously for once lets draft an offensive genious star player with the lottery pick and then actually let him go to use what made him a star in junior…OFFENSE.

6. HabsSoCalManFan says:

I actually went to the Habs official website and read the CV’s for our illustrious mgmt… Funny thing about how they all read so “impressive” as what CV’s usually are, hyped up BS!!! With all those achievements they can’t seem to get their heads out of their asses, to actually see what’s arguably missing from this team, besides drive, and having given up! Randy Cunneyworth, is to caught up in???? Anyway, they aren’t having fun playing hockey. !!!!!! OK, so you’re not going to make the playoffs! So, then just play the F’n game for why you play it in the first place… TO HAVE FUN!!! To be fair, after Lars Eller’s goal, there was a desire to try and comeback last night… That’s not what I’m talking about completely… Lift your heads up bitches, and play for the reasons as to why you don’t work day jobs!! Forget about the lame ass media critics and their critiques… They aren’t the ones on the ice! Neither are we, your loyal fans!! Everybody likes to watch people having fun! Yes, it’s no fun losing… I strongly believe if you focus why you love playing hockey, and the fun you have for it, things might turn around!!! “Why cry two tears in bucket, Fuck it!! Take it to the stage!!!” -George Clinton of Parliament Funkadelic…

just sayin, a humble fan from WESTERN Canada, now in Southern California :-)

• HabsSoCalManFan says:

From Todays “notebook” on Canadiens website…

Love what you do: There’s an old expression that when you choose a job you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. That could explain why, despite being put through a tough, 75 minute workout at Rexall Place on Wednesday afternoon, the Habs were in good spirits, enjoying their extra reps and battle drills.

“You know what? Today was hard work and if that’s fun, we have to do that a little more often,” confirmed head coach Randy Cunneyworth. “There was a lot of contact today. That’s something I felt we didn’t do enough of last night. We worked at it today and hopefully that will filter into tomorrow’s game. There are plenty of things that go into the formula to compete and work hard and try to get the ‘W’. We have to have more of that.”

Did you read me post RC?? Word up Dude!!!

7. Forum Dog says:

My only comment on last night’s game is that there is no way Weber should be playing 18 minutes a game. He is the worst defensive defenceman I have seen in a Habs jersey in a while, and that includes MAB. Way over matched physically against pretty much any NHL forward, and not clever enough to compensate with hockey IQ. Sure, he can shoot a puck, but last I checked that wasn’t enough to get you 20 minutes a game in the NHL. He made poor Emelin look bad out there. I’m not one to subscribe to the whole “tanking” philosophy/conspiracy, but if he gets that much ice again next game, I’ll start to think that Molson et al are leaning that way.

Obviously there are more problems than that, but until Weber and Campoli are replaced with ACTUAL NHL DEFENCEMEN, Price will be a sitting duck.

8. CalgaryHab says:

Every year I attend the game when the habs come to town and as usual it was disgusting.
    But more than other years this team is awful. PG and BG should be held on treason charges for what this team is. I watch a lot of Calgary games and the Flames are not good team but look fantastic against us. I’m a Price suppporter and he does see a lot of rubber and quality scoring chances but something needs to be done about his puck handling. He has had more pucks end up in his net because of his antics than most goalies have had in their entire careers.
    That said, we do have some exciting pieces and with some re-tooling and a quality draft we will be much better(it can’t get worse when you’re in last)
    PG cannot be here for this! Dismiss him now so he can’t mettle with any draft decisions, stupid signings or anything that affects the habs – including menu items at a restaruant for a team lunch.

9. Croz38 says:

Reading lots of negative comments today. Some on Price, some on Bourque. Price has to play better, but he’s not our problem. Our defence is terrible, and Price will be better when we change around our defence next year.
    As far as Bourque goes, I’m a bit disappointed in his progress so far. I haven’t given up on him yet tho. He will hopefully adapt to his new surroundings. We have to remember that when players get traded, their whole world changes. With Bourque, he left a girlfriend in Calgary. While she still has come to MTL to visit him, it has to have an effect on him and his play. I’m hoping in the off season he becomes more comfortable and adapts to the change, because i still see him being a good asset to this team.

10. punkster says:

That little ramble about “blame” got me thinking more of the Habs and what I think it’s going to take to turn things around. Of course, I’m certainly no expert but since the invention of this Habs…er…Hockey interwebby bloggy thingy I get to play one in front of my ‘puter screen. And my dog listens in amazement as I bounce ideas off him. I can tell he’s amazed ’cause he never answers me, just stares at me with such awe and devotion in his eyes.

The team has a core of talented and by all signs dedicated players at most positions. As with any most teams they could certainly use a few more; another couple of Cole or Max types up front, a big D who can play regular shifts and not just a PP or PK specialist only, and a few strong 3rd and 4th liners to fill some inevitable holes that will be created in the off season. Not an easy task but certainly not impossible with the right management and scouting out there. Not to mention the healthy return of a couple of veteran players to the fold.

So here’s my take. Beyond anything else, first and foremost the Habs require some form of clear and unanimous leadership, something they have been sorely lacking for a few years. Most expect to see a new GM and new coach over the summer and that will likely help. But it will be the team leadership and a fostering of a team focus that will move these guys up in the standings. I say that because they are professionals who know their craft and have performed well enough in the past, whether here, on other NHL teams, on farm teams or in foreign leagues, to be selected to play for this team. Their skills, varied as they may be, are not really in question for the most part. There may be better players out there who could replace them in a heartbeat but between contract terms, cap limitations, and assets we’re willing to trade or other teams are willing to part with, well, for the moment it’s their job. What they lack is a clearly defined sense of team that a good leader can and should instill.

As for specifics I’m not going to go that far because I’m not in the room, not on the ice and not hanging with the guys after hours in whatever museums, art galleries and symphony halls they frequent. Good leadership just doesn’t get assigned, granted or even voted on, et voilà, a leader is born. It comes with experience, by gaining respect and trust, and by producing results.

Let’s see how the leadership of this team pans out in the coming months.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Upon good advice, will move on.

12. derfab says:

The banter about Price below overlooks the fact that he strained his knee yesterday and deserves to be rested. He is a top five goalie who will sooner or later get a huge long term contract here (or ask for a trade) and whose supposed lapses in concentration most likely stem from the temptation to try to do too much to help his inept defence. If the Habs are smart they forget the RFA mid-contract at 5 million per and lock him up now for 10 years before he commands more ( double I would guess) on the open market.

The question is: how much for 10 years? I say 65 might do it.

• Cal says:

Any contract more than 5 years is ludicrous. If he gets injured and becomes the next DiPietro, you’re team is stuck playing the insurance game like the Islanders.
      Lock him in for 5. That’s plenty of time and risky enough.

13. third generation haber says:

Blaming Price????? Are u people insane?

This guys faces 2 much rubber, and quality chances b/c he has the softest marshmellow d-men in hockey in-front of him (Kaberle, Campoli, Weber, Diaz).

He plays too many games, and is one of the best goalies in the world. 29 other teams know this is true.

j.p. murray

14. Fansincebirth says:

So, the Colts part ways with Manning, not wanting to pay out a huge bonus but also not wanting to take a chance on him not recovering fully from his injury.

What would our season (and team) have looked like if we had done the very same thing with Markov and not hung on to the hope he would return and save the team.

15. Thomas Le Fan says:

Having distilled a lot of today’s comments, I’ve discovered the meme of the day. Apparently, unless you’ve played junior A, no make that AHL, oops unless you’re an NHL veteran, scratch that, unless you’re Bobby Orr, you know nothing about hockey and shouldn’t comment on it. That about right? ;)

16. Dr.Rex says:

Was last night the perfect game for those who have given up on the season? They lost in regulation meaning they help their draft spot yet they battled back hard and made it respectable.

Dont look now but CBJ are putting together some W’s.

• Lafrich says:

Exactly! Also, Kaberle got another point, making him seem useful…to another team hopefully…

• third generation haber says:

Sadly, his contract ensures that he retires a hab

No other GM in hockey is as stupid as Gauthier.

Even if his offensive numbers were high enough it wouldn’t make-up for the fact that he’s soft, can’t check, and can’t play defence.

And he’s a -19. The second worst total for a D-man is a -10.

j.p. murray

17. Mike D says:

Bit of a fun question to change things up….

Will Erik Cole reach 30 goals this season?

Cole has 23 goals and we have 15 games left in the season.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

18. third generation haber says:

Larry Robinson

We may not see another defencemen like him, but having him as our head coach would undoubtedly inspire some Larry Robinson type hockey.

Wake-up Montreal! WE NEED LARRY!!!
    An amazing player and an amazing coach!

j.p. murray

19. Bill says:

It’s so hard to understand why anyone is bringing goaltending into the discussion of what is wrong with the Habs.

Even if we all agreed – for the sake of argument – that Price has been an average goalie this year, would that come close to goaltending being a problem?

BTW, an average goalie on this sad sack, dysfunctional team would have a save percentage below .900 and a GAA well above 3.00, in my opinion. The opposition consistently gets high-quality chances and minimal resistance from the defence.

I am not saying he’s a superstar or the next Roy, but at the same time, he looks pretty good to me, he’s not even close to his prime, and his track record suggests he’ll stay a good goalie for years to come.

Habs’ biggest problem this year: injuries. Second biggest problem: bad mix of forwards and lousy secondary defencemen … both related to injuries, of course.

But at least, can we stop talking about an asset like he’s somehow the cause of this team’s woes?

Full Breezer 4 Life

20. Mr_MacDougall says:

All the talk about Carey Price’s contract led me to do some research.

After this season he will have earned a total of $8 million for his career so far at the age of 24.

After his next contract expires he will become UFA; provided he continues improving and shows consistency his following contract will be his “home run deal.”

There will be a lot of emphasis on the term of his next deal, it is reasonable to think 5-6 years will be the length and 5-6 in the 25-35 million dollar range, setting Price up financially for life, while becoming a UFA at the age of 30, arguably the time when a goaltender is entering their peak as well as peak earning potential.

I say look for 5-6 years at 5-6 million.

21. ont fan says:

Just to change the subject about bad contracts..Sean Avery was told by the Rangers to clear out his locker in the AHL and never come to the arena again unless he pays for a ticket. 6.5 m

22. nellis13 says:

if i was price i’d take a low salary short term contract and tell whoever the GM is to “get me some f’n defense” with the extra dough.

• RGM says:

Define your “low salary” and “short term” variables, please.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

23. habsfanforever7631 says:

I don’t like getting in these conversations because I think it’s just stupid.
    But I have this to say to all the Price haters.
    Compare the Habs roster, to the Kanucks roster, or The Bruins roster, or the Preds roster, or the Rangers roster and and you will see the difference.
    They have a solid team.
    They have good d depth.
    There team can hold a lead.
    And most of all there starter doesn’t have to play 70 games a season.
    So find someone else to hate on because Price is not the problem, or if u guys just love Halak, just go cheer for Halaks team.
    Maybe the forwards? Maybe our d? Maybe Coaching? No the problem is Price! Trade him and we can go on with pylons in our net.
    Any other goalie would have the same stats, they wouldn’t carry this team to the playoffs.

Go Habs Go

• DorvalTony says:

Yeah you’re right, we’re all wrong. It’s never his fault. Ever.

And I shouldn’t say that because I haven’t played at a high level. But then again neither has he lately. It’s the d’s fault when he passes the puck to the opposition and they ease it into the open net. It’s always somebody else’s fault.

Why can’t you just admit Carey has a severe problem concentrating, focusing and competing. He’s got size and many of the tools to be a very good goalie but it’s too often a case of him being in dreamland and giving away pies. The mental aspect is not there.

This isn’t Russia or Syria we have the right to say the emperor has no clothes.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is
      a proof. And when you have a good proof, it’s because it’s proven.” – Jean Crooktien

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Which goalie doesn’t give the puck away from time to time.
        My point is just that his team has to get most of the blame, how can you blame price when we don’t even have a second line, or a third d paring?

• DorvalTony says:

He has played the same with or without O’Byrne Gill Hamrlik Spacek Wizniewski Bouillon etc. His biggest problem is his inability to focus and compete. His talent is not an issue. It’s the mental part of his game that is below average. He’s starting to remind me of an upscale Denis Herron or Michel Plasse.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

24. Praj12 says:

The problem with this board’s posters is that most let emotion run their comments. I have said this before, in order to understand the game at this level you need to have played at a very high level of hockey Junior A or University hockey and up. Posters who played house league do not get what goes on in the dressing room and on the bench never mind on the ice. This game is so fast that most watching have a hard time following the game and that is not just with the puck. The game is the entire ice surface and all players on the ice at that time. Posters do not know where each player is supposed to be positioned and covering who in the defensive zone. I read day in and day out. Some come here just to stir the pot and others come here to try and make themselves out to be “experts” in the hope that someone will notice and then give them a job like Mr.Boone. Good luck with that!!!

Ohh Price should have had that one and then that one. Problem is you are watching the replay on super slow motion and at this speed Price should stop everything. Problem is that the game is so fast that Price has a ¼ sec to react and if he makes the wrong decision then the puck is by him.

Are you guys truly Habs fans or not. This is our team our history and comments of the negative karma against the HABS is just plain silly. Montreal will rebound and be a better team but not next year and maybe not the year after. Our prospects need to develop in the AHL ( some might make the jump right away- Beaulieu) but the rest need seasoning in the AHL for at least one year. Let’s keep it positive and support our beloved Habs!!

HABS fan since ’68

• habsfanforever7631 says:

+100

• Timo says:

But them it’d be only you posting on this site… and that’s no fun.

• 44har48 says:

You make some good points, but man, I didn’t think their were requisites or a screening process to be a member of this site and post. I thought we common folks could come on here and be a part of the community, no?

I’ll admit, I didn’t play higher than Division III, but I’d like to think I can be a part of this commnity and share my opinions no matter how idiotic they may seem. If nothing else, my moronic comments should give a good laugh and cheer people up.

• DorvalTony says:

Leafs fan mentality.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

• Bill says:

Unless someone has professional hockey experience, AHL minimum, I don’t have much time for their claims to hockey guru-hood. There’s a big difference between Junior A and the NHL, and it doesn’t take an expert to see that!

This board isn’t just a place for former Midget AAA stars to relive their glory days and get to feel smarter than the rest of us … although that is indeed one of its functions, haha, and feel free!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SmartDog says:

I didn’t play in the NHL. But at table hockey I ruled! And I’m telling you what we need is better wingers who can dish to the center who scores off his crotch.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Cal says:

“in order to understand the game at this level you need to have played at a very high level of hockey Junior A or University hockey and up.”

Hysterical. Hockey isn’t rocket science. It isn’t all that hard to see where players should be on the ice relative to the puck.

• neumann103 says:

Excuse me????

“in order to understand the game at this level you need to have played at a very high level of hockey Junior A or University hockey and up. “

On the surface this is absurd. But being fair I guess it depends on what you mean by “understand the game”. Understand the game in order to play it or coach it or general manage it? Fair enough. True to say that any poster saying “I could do a better job than Randy Cunneyworth” and basing this on 10 years experience in beer league is nuts. But come on, a knowledgeable fan can’t have a valid opinion without playing Junior A? Nonsense.

I do agree that unless you have played a competitive team sport at a very high level you likely have no idea of things like dressing room dynamics.

There is a lot that people miss if they haven’t played the game. I remember the first time my little brother (who never played) attended an NHL game and it was like a world of stuff had opened up that he had never seen or noticed before. He wasn’t just following the puck. But anyone who has played hockey and understands the basics of positional play knows what they are looking at.

So fair enough to say that someone like me who has never played or coached at a high level would be talking smack if he said “I would be better than Pierre Gauthier.” That would be the equivalent of “I think I cna beat Mike Tyson.”

But it sure doesn’t mean you cannot make reasonably informed comments about the play of a hockey team.

“Et le but!”

25. ont fan says:

Always interesting who we roast each day..No Gomez, PG, BG, Molson today?

26. petefleet says:

For those of you who feel the need to beat up on Rene Bourque, the numbers tell a different story and I believe he will be an asset to the Habs.
    Bourque 125 goals / 245 pts since 2005-06
    Kostitsyn 100 goals / 214 pts since 2005-06

Give the poor guy a chance to get comfortable. Alot of poster were throwing Cole under the bus after 10 games played as well. In the immortal words of Carey Price….chill out.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

• SmartDog says:

He’s not poor but I agree with the rest. Good post.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

He’s played 23 with the Habs, nearly 30% of a season.
      I think it’s fair to throw some criticism his way.
      That said I hope he picks it up next season.

• DorvalTony says:

I want to see more physicality and intensity and consistency but I agree. There were a few glimmers last night. He’s got more than he’s showing though.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

27. gordon bombay says:

We all Gomez is gone at the end of this season (buyout, trade, or Hamilton), so one thing that may play into this is Gionta – we know they have been best buds since their days in Jersey, so what will the impact be on the captain?

How about….

To BUF: Gionta, (returns close to home)
    To MTL: Roy, (BUF could not find a taker at the trade deadline)

Then….

To CLB: Plekanec, Palushaj, Weber, 1st Round Pick (2013)
    To MTL: Nash

Then….
    MTL drafts with the 3rd overall pick, Grigorenko!

Nash – Roy – Grigorenko
    Cole – Desharnais – Pacioretty
    Bourque – Eller – Leblanc
    Geoffrion – White – Moen

Markov – Emelin
    Gorges – Subban
    Diaz – UFA

Price
    Budaj

• RGM says:

If only real life were as easy as NHL ’12 eh?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• mrhabby says:

nash wants to go to a team that is close to winning the cup.

cbj would never do that deal. its not near enough even though they may soften there approach come draft time. the conversation would likely include subban, max, etc,etc,etc.

• HabsFan1111 says:

As much as I love Pleks, he does not fill a Rick Nash sized hole in CLS lineup, they would need at least another top 9 (maybe even top 6) NHL forward, with a 1st and a better prospect than Palush

AND Grigger would not instantly be on the first line

AND I vote Bryan Allen for that vacant ufa dman spot.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d LOVE Allen signed, a plus player with awful Carolina and Florida teams. He is Physical, Big, Stay-at-home, defends his team-mates; just what the team needs.

Would they have to move Kaberle to make room?

• jedimyrmidon says:

Grigorenko is a center so I don’t see why the Habs would trade away their current captain and one of the few top 6 wingers left on this team for another center.

As for Pleks, a versatile two-way center who is a big part of a successful PK unit is quite invaluable in a Cup run. Even if we get Nash in return as part of the deal, not sure I’d want to give up Pleks.

Nash is great and all, puts up 30+ goals, but his point totals have been dipping. As has been the case recently, no player coming to Mtl has seen his production rise except for maybe Cole to a certain extent… but I don’t see many players having his heart and determination.

• HabsFan1111 says:

You realize Nash is a PK guy as well right? I’d rather have Nash on the PK than Pleks…. also, Pleks has proven NOT to be a big game player, he disappears when games get physical and Q: you know when games tend to get physical? A: In the playoffs. Yes he had a respectable 11 pts in 19 games during the Halak run, but was absolutely invisible against Philly when it mattered, just like Cammy.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Ah, I see. That changes things.

• DorvalTony says:

Everybody hit the wall in the Philly series. Maybe part of that was intimidation and biased officiating but the boys were spent after knocking off Sidney and the champs and Ovechkin and his 1st place team (both in seven game series).

But yeah Pleky has been a disappointment in the playoffs. Even he admitted it.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

• HabsFan1111 says:

Cammy was our spark in rounds 1 and 2 and Philly had Pronger shadowing him, therefore he somewhat understandably disappeared. That is precisely when guys like Pleks and Gomez and Gio and AK needed to step up to the plate. Sadly, they did not. A very exciting time to be a Habs fan nonetheless.

GHG

• LizardKing1967 says:

Ok what are u smoking?
      First of all, Grigorenko will go 1st or 2nd. He is also a CENTRE. You have in on the wing. And he probably won’t play first year anyway. One year in Hamilton would be smart,
      Second of all, Nash would cost ALOT more than that. Like THIS YEAR’s First round pick AS WELL AS Subban (along with everyone else you suggested). Nash ain’t coming here buddy, he costs WAY TOO much. Might have to give up Max-Pac too.
      Thirdly,
      you do not trade the captain of your team just because he misses 3/4 of the season. Don’t you think he would love to bounce back with a great season? (and if Gomer is gone, Gio would probably NOT get pulled down like he has been).
      Fourth point, KEEP Staubitz. He’s the best “pure tough guy” we have had since maybe Kordic. We see what kind of players we need going forward, and he has started to rubb off on everyone else, as White has.

Cole – DD – Max
      Gio – Eller – Bourque
      Leblanc – Pleks – Geffrion
      Staubitz – White – Moen.

Thanks

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You want to give Pleks SCRAPS again, while giving Eller top 6 wingers? no way man, sign a guy for five years and ruin his career? Pleks needs Gionta and Bourque on his line..

I’d prefer this (provided there are not any top 6 signings.)
        Patch Plek Gionta
        Bourque DD Cole
        ?? Eller Moen

• DorvalTony says:

Pleky and Gio are too small, no more of 2 Smurfs on a line or on a defence pairing.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

• Welks says:

I live in Buffalo and would not wish Derek Roy on the Leafs. He is terrible.

28. krob1000 says:

We have finally hit a 0.0 percent chance of making the playoffs…

29. The Dude says:

Question : Is Carey Price worth a $60 million contract for 8 years and would you support this deal?

• shiram says:

That would make him the highest paid goalie in the league.

• Propwash says:

The way contracts are being signed around the league these days, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he gets that kind of dough.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• GrimJim says:

Yes. But I think the more likely number for an eight year deal will be $48 million

• 44har48 says:

Absolutely not…I really really like Price and am happy they traded Halak and chose Price. Going one step further, Price will be the next Stanley Cup winning goalie in Montreal.

Having said that, neither Price nor Subban will end up with the contracts some on here think they will. They are restricted, and personally, have demonstrated they both still have a lot of development at the NHL level left before they are handed the combo to the safe.

No folks, I say they don’t get rich on these contracts. If thhey go where most of us think they mght, the next deals will be huge for them both. Just my opinion…

• krob1000 says:

?? Not a chance is probably going to get around 5 million a season for about 3 years or so…. anything more and we are overpaying. The difference between an average goalie and an elite one is not what it used to be….and it sure isn’t worth paying that much for a goalie anymore.

• DorvalTony says:

They gave Gorgeous (career worst game last night) $24,000,000 for 6 years. Price will get a lot more than that (per year).

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

• Cal says:

No. I wouldn’t support that deal. All those high end goalies have pretty much won jack sh**. Luongo is a huge mistake. So is Bryzgalov. Only 3 of the top 10 cap hit goalies have won a Cup.
      The GMs signing these deals are at least a little stupid.

• eric says:

Take 5 first round draft picks for 5 years and use those picks to throw in on trades or just use for the draft.

• HardHabits says:

If any other team offers Price that in an offer sheet I hope the Habs don’t match it. Not because I don’t like Price. I prefer the 4 1st round draft picks.

• DorvalTony says:

No kidding, it would be a “Boone” to the team.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

• RGM says:

I’m his biggest fan and I think those are ridiculous numbers, both in terms of AAV and term. Life’s fun when you can put up a straw man argument isn’t it?

Question: Is a $10 bill worth $5 and would you support this deal?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

30. Propwash says:

If Price has to play at 100% all the time in order to have the team win, it speaks volumes about the team in front of him.
    Price is the least of the team’s problems, although he makes an easy scapegoat.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• DorvalTony says:

Didn’t seem to bother Patrick Roy.

“A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It’s a proof. A proof is

31. gordon bombay says:

I am a die-hard habs fan but now that they are out of the mix for a spot this year I am turning my attention to Edmonton and Columbus. I wish nothing but the best for these two franchises over the rest of the season!