About last night …

Carlyle
Dario Ayala Photo gallery
Shall we get the heresy out of the way right off the bat:
I’m glad the Leafs won.
Now before you descend on my humble suburban townhouse with torches and pitchforks, let me do some ‘splainin’.

I have family and friends in Toronto.

They have suffered – with varying degrees of bright hope and bitter disappointment – through a Stanley Cup drought that has lasted 45 years.

Here in Montreal in 2012, we are experiencing what Leaf fans have lived with since 1967.

It’s no fun.

And I wouldn’t wish this feeling of hopelessness on any other city.

The Leafs are three points out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference. They are undefeated under Randy Carlyle.

They have loyal fans, a couple thousand of whom made a lot of noise in the upper bowl of the Bell Centre Saturday night, watching their team bounce back from 1-0 to win 3-1.

Let the biggest city in this hockey-mad country enjoy some late April hockey.

I’d love to see Winnipeg get in as well. And Calgary.

The more Canadian clubs, the merrier – although spring merriment probably won’t stretch east of the Ontario-Quebec border.

In blowing yet another lead, the Canadiens racked up their 23rd loss on home ice. That’s two more than lowly Columbus.

The 29th-place Edmonton Oilers have four more home wins than the proudest franchise in hockey.

The Canadiens are going nowhere this season. Everybody – fans, players and management – knows this.

So Randy Cunneyworth shuffles players in and out of the lineup and from line to line – hoping not to inflict any more black marks on a CV he’ll be e-mailing around this summer.

After facing 42 shots – matching the season-high total that Pittsburgh fired at him on Nov. 26 – Carey Price said he was “over being frustrated.”

“I’m just going to do my job,” Price added, “and try to do it to the best of my ability.”

The best of Price’s ability is pretty good. But there’s only so much a goaltender can do to bail out a one-line hockey team.

Max Pacioretty had six shots on goal against Toronto. Erik Cole had four (and scored the Canadiens’ only goal). P.K. Subban had four.

Three players had 14 of the Canadiens’ 22 shots.

With the exception of Joey Crabb, every skater in the Toronto lineup had at least one shot on goal. And Crabb had three hits.

Eight Canadiens had zero shots.

We’ll forgive David Desharnais his goose egg because he was making plays for his linemates.

Blake Geoffrion had no shots. Neither did Andreas Engqvist, who was bounced back to Hamilton after the game.

Tomas Plekanec had one SoG. And I’ll cut him the slack I cut DD, because the Canadien who, earlier in his career, centred Alex Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn  played with Ryan White and Geoffrion. But you can’t blame his inept linemates for Plekanec’s struggles in the faceoff circle: one win, 13 lossses.

Lars Eller went 9-6 on draws, but his latest trio included raw Louis Leblanc and the phlegmatic Rene Bourque.

This was a punchless lineup that, with the exception of the DD line and a couple decent plays by Lars Eller, exerted absolutely no sustained pressure in the Toronto end.

You have to think that Brian Gionta, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche … heck, even Scott Gomez … might have helped.

But Toronto needed a win. And after being outshot 6-3 through the early minutes of the game, the Leafs had a 39-16 advantage.

In the Saturday morning press conference that featured a tour de force performance by Brian Burke, Carlyle talked about the Leafs utilizing their speed. They did lot of zipping around the Canadiens’ zone, as the team with one functioning forward line also featured only one effective defence pairing: Subban and Josh Gorges.

Toronto’s speed seemed to create problems for Alexei Emelin, who managed a measly two hits (a total matched by his partner, Yannick Weber).

And looking ahead to next season, I think we can all agree that when the opening night starters are announced, the D pair will not be Tomas Kaberle and Chris Campoli.

October can’t come soon enough.

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

1. leafssuckhard says:

sorry
    leafs are the only canadian team that don’t belong in the playoffs
    if we only win one more for the rest of this season, it had better be the last game against the leafs. i can only hope that it would be the win the leafs need to edge in
    HA!

what the habs should be doing now is resting price and playing budaj. his stats have dragged down low enough by the clowns in front of him
    wouldn’t hurt to bring up some of our minor leaguers either. bench some of our dead weight and give the rookies a taste of the action, so that when we start to rebuild, they hit the ice with some experience

2. The Juice says:

Give your head a shake Mr. Boone. No red-blooded Habs fan wants the Leafs in the playoffs. The fact that they will probably not make it is what is keeping the rest of us sane. I do take solace in the Leaf win since it keeps the Habs in the basement and closer to a draft lottery ticket, but I am rooting for Toronto to continue their slide all the way to 14th.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

3. The Juice says:

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

4. boing007 says:

Price 2009-10 MON 13 20
    Halak 2009-10 MON 26 13
    As Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet: ‘Just the facts, ma’am.
    I rest my case.

Richard R

5. Habfan10912 says:

Good description by Todd of PG and the organizations shortcomings and recent classless moves in today’s Gazette.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t know if anyone agrees, but I don’t see the Rangers as a major cup contender. They’ve done well in the regular season but I get the impression they aren’t that good.

On the other hand every team in the East is flawed, so they might make it to the finals.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• slychard says:

Really and honestly, I get you but I don’t, reading you (not stalking) throughout the threads. It’s intriguing and confusing. You never answer back to a quip, or rarely. You put a thought out there then move on. What’s up whit that?
      I can tell many things from an avatar choice and the eloquence in postulating in most posters on this site (IE; I can read between the lines), I can assume when reading the info (or lack thereof) about a person’s age and whatnot. But you sir. Have me stumped. I do in my mind think I have you pegged, just not going to share it. (not in the mood to possibly insult)

What kills me is the time I asked you who your gentlemanly looking avatar was and I finally got the answer from another poster. That’s when my natural curiosity kicked in. Google it Sly, and I did. Not the most reliable source I’m very well aware of that, but it gives you the general of a subject. So. Point is… There is no point.

This last part has taken many different drafts,
      do I tell him what I’m going through lately? A stranger? Should I reach out because of the anonymity of the net? The many friends of mine are clueless but I should feel the comfort of a webber that shares the same passion as I and perhaps connect? Am I becoming too in touch with my feminine side?
      If a person slag’s it’s because they felt slagged.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• The Cat says:

I agree every team in the east is flawed, and whats very unfair is the west series between the No. 4 and 5 team will see a very good/legit cup contender team leave after the first round.

• nickster13 says:

well, they cant both win the cup anyways, so id say all’s fair.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Chris says:

Nashville has trouble scoring goals, while St. Louis is very light on experience. Vancouver has shown that they have an Achilles heel (struggling mightily with Chicago over recent years, and Boston exposed them last season). Detroit can’t win on the road.

There are some pretty flawed teams out West, too. :)

• nickster13 says:

Hmm. I disagree, i think theyre as good as anyone. In the new NHL there are no elite teams sadly, as everyone has a more or less level playing field. Plus, now they have Tortorella, and he is a proven cup winner, and they have Lundquist, and a solid core of players, we will see how far they can go!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Dulljerk says:

I’m picking the Rangers to go to the finals. They are for real. Solid goaltending (you know, a goaltender with good numbers), good defence, they’ve bulked up for the run and Tortorella is a good coach.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• Chris says:

I could see them contending, but they do have weaknesses.

The Rangers have suffered virtually no injuries to their top-9 forwards. When that last happened in Montreal, the Habs got spanked in the second round by the Flyers in 2007-08. The same could easily happen to the Rangers. I don’t think they would suvive against the Penguins, provided Letang is healthy, who are almost as good defensively but stronger offensively.

7. NLhabsfan says:

Sorry Boone I don’t care if they ever make the playoffs.Probably because of all the HYPE from Ontario and CBC which has become a cheer leader for them.

8. third generation haber says:

2 things:

1. Toronto is on-record for stating they would veto any franchise proposals for the most underserviced hockey market in the world (southern-Ontario). So, NO they don’t qualify as a Canadian team. May they finish 9th for the next 500 years! I do feel sorry for their fans, but they need to boycott a team that is dedicated solely to their bottom-line and not the good of the game.

2. There’s a lot to feel good about in Hab land. Imagine next season we start with these changes.

In/ returning:

Markov, Gionta, Moen, Blunden, Grigorenko or Forsberg, one free agaen forward, 2 free-agent stay at home D men.

Out:

Gomez, Campoli, Nokia,

We may be a very competitive team next year! Tougher and a little more experienced.

j.p. murray

• slychard says:

1; AGREE
      2; not sold on Grigo and don’t think Fors is OUR answer, there are a couple other interesting sleepers I would hope they take a chance with.
      3;Add a couple more on ypour OUT list and we’re on the same page.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• nickster13 says:

How is Southern Ontario underserviced for hockey? Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit all around you. Maximum 2.5 hours to drive to find a hockey team, and tons of overlapping coverage on TV, and a hockey mad leafs fanbase. Not to mention oodles of Junior teams and a few AHL teams. Hardly hockey deprived!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• slychard says:

Pardon me but, If I could interject for a “post”… If I could assume to get into his general mindset of his “theory” I believe he means that the Laffs, which has not been and hasn’t been, or seems to, or will be or DREAM of becoming in any remote way a model of consistency other then “loosing” (as some poster’s would spell it), Then there is no NHL team in the TO area and having to put any effort and moneys into the club is not a priority, only the illusion of wanting to be a winner is important. So if a team is granted in…say Hamilton, that is a threat. So…veto, the Laffs do as they did. I’m tired and quite unfocussed, I’d say let’s finish this talk later but….

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Chris says:

Firstly: not everybody is willing to cross an international border to watch an NHL hockey game.

Secondly: Toronto is the largest city in Canada with a fairly rabid base of fans. To be honest, both Montreal and Toronto could probably support second teams…Toronto definitely could.

9. H.Upmann says:

Had beers with my cousin’s husband tonight, who follows hockey… It’s embarassing to even discuss the Habs now. Just embarassing…. can’t even find one good thing to discuss. In fact, we were talking about how foolish Carey would be to feel loyalty at this point in his life.

10. The Dude says:

As long a Management and Coaches on the Habs put fourth liners on the third line , third liners on the second line and second liners on the first line we’re toast! And why is this happening? There’s enough moneys to go around ,look at the players Pittsburgh has !Gauthier’s EGO don’t know the game and is overpaying and in turn over playing athletes from the league’s rejection pile! Last Place for the Canadiens in the East and soon to be 2nd worst in the league is TREASONOUS and Gauthier,Gainey and the Coaching staff must made TOO WALK THE PLANK OF SHAME!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…patience Steven …it’s inevitable

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

…the Montreal Canadiens organization and Our Fans, as a whole need to feel this current cold frigid splash of reality, …this process will, hopefully, give Us a long needed sense of humility, not humiliation …and help to revive and renew Our tattered culture of high hockey ideals, and ultimate success in the near future
      …ride the wave, is all We can do as Fans: …Ownership must make the right choices, persevere, and act not talk

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• slychard says:

Sorry, DUDE, I’ve stuck up for you at times, but, your grammar alone makes your point as mute as Hellen Keller.
      Then again, she did overcome all obstacles and became an author.

If you get a good editor I might take serious note.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…reading 24 Cups’ link to TSN’s prospects review, I was surprised to note Grigorenko described by one scout as ‘a dog’ (no compete level) …second, Malcolm Subbans rating decreased to possible 2nd Round because of recent ballooning GAVG

…that’s where risk/reward considerations of drafting Russians must cause stress for GMs …for all the wonderful Malkins, Datsyuks, and even the Ovechkins …the risks are intimidating

…Malcolm Subban possibly still available in the 2nd Round for Our Habs ? …wouldn’t that be very tempting ? …PK and Malcolm on the Habs would be a great story …BUT, if We didn’t have a Carey controversy before, We certainly will if selected, wouldn’t We ??? :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• nickster13 says:

Can never have too many good goalies in the system. They can be traded later if need be. Look at Schneider in Vancouver, theyve been showcasing him for years (with inflated numbers being on a good team), and will get a great return on him soon. If he is around in the 2nd round at one of our picks, we would be stupid not to take him!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

Could definitely see the leaf taking him.

• slychard says:

Malcom’s GAA grew after he came back from a groin injury, hard to be in game shape for a goalie after that kind of injury, takes time to get back into game shape. His dropping status as a first rounder from the experts come from a possible “soft” or “delicate” angle regarding his recent injury problems. As for Malcom getting drafted by the habs and creating a rift? Who knows.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

12. Chris says:

Sometimes it is nice to see good kids rewarded…

Adam Payerl, an overage forward with the Belleville Bulls, was signed this weekend to an entry-level deal by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Don’t expect to see much hoopla…Payerl is one of those kids who has had an unspectacular junior career, statistically:

2007-2008 47GP, 4G, 7PTS, 20PIM
    2008-2009 68GP, 7G, 17 PTS, 59PIM
    2009-2010 67gp, 17G, 43PTS, 39PIM
    2010-2011 63GP, 10G, 29PTS, 79PIM
    2011-2012 58GP, 20G, 45PTS, 104PIM

Obviously, Payerl has not exactly torn up the league, so why would anybody care enough to sign a 21 year old overage forward?

He is big (6’3″, 217 pounds), can throw a pretty punishing hit and is a decent skater (you can’t play in Belleville if you can’t skate…they play on international size ice in Yardman Arena). But what sets him apart is that the kid works his rear end off and is smart enough to be a very versatile player.

Last season, the Bulls suffered catastrophic injuries to their blue line. So George Burnett sent Payerl back from center to play defence for most of the season, and he was logging 20-25 minutes per night as one of the team’s top defencemen, including being one of their go-to penalty killers last season. He’s back up at forward this season and playing top-line minutes. The season ticket owners around my brother’s seat all LOVE Payerl. He’s a pretty popular player, despite his lack of points.

He might not ever make the NHL, but I would love to see him succeed. He’s been my favourite Bull for the past 2 seasons because I’ve never seen the kid take a shift off. On a team that has featured two potential first round picks (Brendan Gaunce and Daniil Zharkov), he’s probably been their most consistent hockey player.

• slychard says:

Good for the kid, but I fail to see why you qualify him as “overaged” at 21. But at 6 3 and the versatility and determination you mention one never knows. I’ll be looking out for his name in the bigs. Good luck to him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Duracell3 says:

CHL teams only get so many overage players on their roster…4 I think but I’d have to look it up (over 19, this kid has a weird birthday relative to the cutoff which is the only reason I can see he is still eligible to play.). Generally, if you are still around playing junior at that point, you aren’t the best player, and your increase in numbers are generally not considered as impressive because you are playing against younger players.

• slychard says:

Our Daniel Pribyl sounds close, (same last name if your dyslexic), 6 3, drafted but late round, sleeper and young at only 19 of age. I’m excited.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Chris says:

CHL teams get to keep 3 “overage” players on their roster each season. I believe the cutoff is that you must be 20 years old at the start of the season (although Payerl turned 21 in January).

As Duracell said, you have to take CHL numbers into context. Numbers like Payerl has put up this season would be considered good for a 16- or 17-year old. But for a now 21-year old, they are not perceived as particularly strong.

I’ve tossed Payerl out as an interesting prospect for somebody to sign because I could see him being a very strong NHL role player. One of the players he is most frequently compared to is Travis Moen, and Moen has had a nice NHL career in his role.

I generally only mention junior players I’ve watched live a few times. It beats the heck out of re-hashing draft rankings for players I’ve never watched play outside of the Junior All-Star Tournament (I think most people call it the World Juniors!). ;)

13. ross says:

Might’ve already been commented-on by someone, but this is a very respectable and impressive advert by Brian Burke and a good collection of NHL stars:

I wanna see a Hab or three in the next version.

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have anyOne seen hide-nor-hair of Leafer Boonez since cummin out of the closet as a leaf fan this mornin’ ??? …the putz is probably with his lawyers as We speak putting details to a fulltime longterm Bob McCown Show lapdog commentator position, and looking for new digs in Rosedale now that he has lost ALL credibilty in Montreal

…o well, Dave Stubbs may not be as humourous, but at least Dave understands a Habs Fan ain’t allowed sympathy for whining Tawranna MuppleWeeds fans

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

15. nickster13 says:

Just looking at the NHL standings here…
    for all the suck that the lightning had during this year. If they win their next game, they are in 8th place. Not bad. Fire Boucher? I guess not!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

16. otter649 says:

Embarrassing night in The OHL between Erie & Niagara – Erie on saturday had a goalie injured but did not get a backup for tonights game so their starting netminder gets run and put out of the game so either foreit the game or put a goalie in so Erie dresses a forward in net who can barely skate/stand up due to goalie skates so Erie loses 13-4 allowing some of the weakest goals ever seen in Junior A history – Saw some highlites brutal with Sherry Bassin Otters GM releasing a statement apologizing for what went on with the Otters goalie named first star & the other team skating over to him & congratualting him at games end…..

I saw that score on the web and wondered what happened. Wow what a crazy scenario. Thanks for the details.

• habs_54321 says:

wher can i watch highlights of this?

• Chuck says:

Wouldn’t the sporting thing have been for Niagara to loan their backup to Erie for the remainder of the game? That’s how they used to do it on the old days.

• Chris says:

I don’t read too much into it. Erie is far and away the worst team in the OHL, and were playing the second best team in the OHL. Their two goalies got hurt, so centre Connor Crisp volunteered and gave up 13 goals on 45 shots. Not sure why it is “embarassing” to lose 13-4 one night after the Belleville Bulls, one of the best defensive teams in the CHL and featuring the #1 goalie prospect in Malcolm Subban (5 goals on 28 shots), got spanked 10-3 by that same Niagra IceDogs team.

It is exceedingly rare for a team to have both its goaltenders hurt in short order. Every once in a while, we see a feel-good story about a minor leaguer, junior player or regular schmo who gets signed to a one-game contract to back up the starter for an NHL team in an emergency when the team can’t get one of its other goalies to the rink in time. The Sharks signed the starting goalie of the UBC Thunderbirds for a game back in January 2011 because they couldn’t get a goalie to Vancouver fast enough to replace Antero Nittymakii who had been hurt in practice that morning.

It happens more commonly in the minors, and by the time you get to junior hockey it is not at all surprising. I’m not sure why Crisp, the kid playing net for the first time, shouldn’t have been named first star…it was a pretty sporting thing to do, as was the other team skating over to congratulate him at the end of the game. To me, that is not an embarassment…that is the essence of sport.

• Bill says:

How the hell do you not have a backup.

17. The Jackal says:

I agree with Bill re Squid for Bourque… we give up on players too easily IMO, the move was good for cap but not for the player we got back. I wish we could have kept the Wiz and Hamr, Goat put all his chips in with the Markov deal but never thought of a backup plan so he let those 2 guys go. Even if Wiz would have been to expensive, Hamr would have been doable. Instead we have Kaberle and Campoli… we could have Wiz for that money! But that’s done, I just hope we actually get better players who can score, because that’s been the teams problem for years and its still not been addressed properly.

Watching the race for the final playoff spots in the East is liking watching a Turtle Derby. Buffalo is now right back in it.

Boston played well against the Rangers today, but don’t look anything like they did prior to ThomasGate (Whitehouse).

Playoffs in the East this year could be a complete crapshot.

19. naweed235 says:

Mr. Boone, Maybe you should have a poll on who the fans would like to see drafted… that might buy you some time before the pitchfork crew comes knocking on your door

20. aj says:

Seems quiet right now. Can’t wait for the Habs to just rebuild themselves for next season. By then, our team MUST have already a New Management, New coaching staff, New additions to come in the lineup: Leblanc, White, Geoffrion, Blunden, Palushaj (maybe).

Whatever the outcome is this season, at least we give this team an applause for playing tough. Regardless of what happened, I believe this team will be a cup contender even in a year if they become more consistent from the top all the way down.

• smiler2729 says:

Can’t say this team played tough at all, no man, this season can best be summed up by the words NO IDENTITY.

After trudging unhappily through two and a half months of monotone under JM, the players were given a decent hard nosed coach who unfortunately got screwed over by his GM and team owner before he could even put a stamp on the team.

Mister Goats hijacked the season from the fans in December and we are now the laughing stock of the league.

Let’s just hope the new guy cracks a new whip and gets these players caring about the crest they play for.
      __________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Cal says:

RC just isn’t that good. His 11-7 schtick is stupid. How hard is it to roll 4 bleeping lines, anyway? Especially if you’re agenda is to tread water or sink?
        What is it with all the cancelled practices, too?
        The 2 Randys have gotten old really quick. JM had the Habs 1 game under .500 with passive boring play. Now, the Habs hit, forecheck and lose more. Pathetic.

• jols101 says:

Wow aj, those additions you listed to the Habs next year will only make this team worse, if that is at all possible. Out of the 5 players you listed i believe that maybe LL will have a future on the Habs. I would rather have prospects with skill like Gallager, Beaulieu and Tinordi make the team next year. At least these guys will all offer an upgrade on what we have unlike those other lunchbuckets you listed. Its a young league these days and alot of teams have 18 and 19 year olds on their rosters. Gallager, Beaulieu and Tinordi will all be 20 years old at camp next year. The future is now !!!
      PS I would like to see this years first rounder in the lineup on openining night as well. Get the youth movement going…

21. kholdstare says:

I just read about it below and you guys reacted to it but I can’t get over the poll question, it’s outrageous. Why would they even bother putting that up? Like any of us in our right minds would pick yes, yes I would like to see the Toronto Maple Leafs make the playoffs, it crazy. Especially with the fact we won’t, makes it ten times more ridiculous. Listen Boone you go on waving your big foam finger, talking about how Gretzky ripped you off in ’93, with your Toronto connections, but come on really, what’s next HIO.. absolutely everything about The Toronto Maple Leafs?

Next poll question

Do you think sometimes calls go unfairly against the Boston Bruins?

• smiler2729 says:

Don’t get out of sorts over it, just answer NO.

It’s all about ratings, hits, it creates discussion here when there is none, look 890+ comments so far on a gameless Sunday for a team not making the playoffs and we’re all here yacking away and THEY want to keep it that way so they stir some pots and we bit…

Just have fun, it’s supposed to be fun, dammit…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• kholdstare says:

haha I know but come on, hard to have fun with that kind of pot stirring, can’t we talk about something better like the end of the universe or our own mortality do we have to go right to the absolute worst case scenario. Makes me squirrely just thinking that let alone answering a poll question on here, my supposed sanctuary.

• smiler2729 says:

There’s not a team I despise more than the Laffs and discussing their chronic suckitude makes me happy.

There ain’t nothing like hockey.

__________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Chuck says:

Looks like Boone has voted 110 times.

Re:Poll
      Almost makes me miss the weeks we got to ponder the Ovechkin trades……

22. HABWARRIOR says:

Okay so its been a bad season.Really bad actually.But,with crap-tacular seasons such as the one that we are having comes something to look forward too.High draft pick.Like top 5 pick.Now,if this is done properly and i guess there is a little luck in projecting these kids,then we should get a superstar cornstone piece for this team sthat has been so sorely lacking in the last 2 decades.
    So,here’s the question:Who should we pick?
    Assuming we don’t win the draft lottery then we’ll most get pick #2 and maybe #3 ….i personally see a 2nd overall selection being made by whomever it is that is at the helm of the habs.
    But i’m totally at a crossroads in who should we pick.Gregorenko or Galchenyuk.Personally i like the ladder.But Gregorenko is that big C that we’ve so sorely lacked and that is hard to find.But Galchenyuk i see projecting down the road as a better all around skilled player and i can see him producing like crazy at the nhl level.
    So help me out and who do you think we should take.Yah there are others too like that forsberg kid and alot of D men but we need a forward.We need offense.D-men are in the pipeline…scorers aren’t.
    Hell maybe we’ll win the lottery and get the 1st pick then we can draft Yakupov.But like that will happen.

“If ya ain’t wasted, the day is!”

• The Gonk says:

Timmins apparently has Grigorenko about 5th on his list of forwards. I assume Yakupov is 1, what’s in between I don’t know, but Forsberg must be in the mix. I can’t see how we can’t pick a forward considering our immediate needs and that we have some decent D-man prospects ready to make the jump to Hamilton. But who knows.

• HABWARRIOR says:

I know Gregorenko has supoosedly regressed recently but its about projecting a player going down the road.Timmins is a moron then if he’s got him at 5.Man,why does this organization seem to screw everything up!??I just hope they dont screw the draft up too.

“If ya ain’t wasted, the day is!”

• Trisomy 21 says:

There are scouts who said they wouldn’t pick him if they picked 20th overall. His stock is falling hard because people are seeing those qualities that Kovalev had. And by that I mean the ones that drove us crazy. To be honest, as disappointed I am with our brass, Timmins is a guy I utterly trust in making the right decision. Biggest issue is what happens if we draft in a position in which a defenseman is the best choice? trade up/down to get someone like Galchenyuk?

• Cal says:

He plays well against weak junior teams. That enough of a reason not to waste a draft pick, especially a high one, on him?

• Bill says:

How’d you get Timmins’s list though?

23. theox_8 says:

what is with all the hate on for bourque, he is third on the team in goals , he is physical and his cap hit isnt that bad. I for one was happy to see cammy go I couldnt stand him this season.

• smiler2729 says:

Most of his goals were scored with Calgary

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Bill says:

He’s about as physical as my grandma, he’s got four goals for the Habs, he’s an incredible -12 in 20 games, and his cap is only decent in comparison to Gomez.

EDIT: oh, and in all fairness, I think I’m the only one “hating on him”.

• kholdstare says:

I’m glad Cammi is gone too, hocking biosteel and how he worked out all summer was annoying.

There were some guys on here saying he played bad because he was a new dad. Still my favorite, he is tired, baby is keeping him up, cant score goals, because jr had him up, too funny.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I can see why he has been criticized for lack of effort. How often do you see him charge towards the net like Cole? How often do you see him pull up instead on the sides like Gomez to make a pass? How often do you see him fumble passes at the side of the net by Eller or whomever?

Dunno, he just seems so disproportionately ineffective out there. In my mind, the fact that he’s on a tanking team makes it even more unlikely he’ll put in any effort.

24. Pucknut says:

If the Habs are going to get a new GM to replace PG, then why don’t they do it now; or in the very near future so that the incumbent can evaluate the talent to assess the teams’ needs & direction.

Also, I believe that Markov is going to have to play before this season is out just to show that he is capable.

The team can’t get stuck with not knowing come July 1st

• habs_54321 says:

they will do it immidiatly at the end of the regular season, if not i fully expect montreal fans to strongly voice their disapproval and force his removal the fans forced the removal of the wrong guy in jaques martin he was not the problem in fact he masked alot of holes on this team simular to tippet in phoenix

25. boing007 says:

Just saw a replay of Grabs’ hashmarks goal from last night’s game. Price went down on his knees and the shot sailed over his head. In most cases goalies are supposed to be able to read the trajectory of shots. Looks like Price misread that one.

Richard R

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s a common butterfly goalie technique, the goalie drops down to cover the majority of the bottom of the net and takes a chance that the shooter can’t snipe the top corner. When a shooter has time, they’ll fake the shot to make the goalie drop down and then have a comparatively easy shot to make. The thing is, the play that Price made is usually the right one, a rushed shooter will force the puck at the net and not get a lot of wood on it, and they’ll stop it with their pads.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• JIMVINNY says:

Clearly you’ve never been a goalie. On a one-timer from the slot, when his d-man is trying to block the shot but also screening Price, his best bet is to drop into the butterfly and cover as much net as possible.

When it was obvious he didn’t see the shot until it went past the screen, I don’t know what you expect from him.

• kholdstare says:

What is your point boing007? That goalies sometimes make mistakes? If so bravo on your post, here is another one for you, if you go quicker you will get there faster.

26. JIMVINNY says:

Cammy with a brutal giveaway in OT, then had to hook Ryder to prevent the winning goal.

• Bill says:

True. But he did make the play on the tying goal, and he’s been considerably less brutal than Bourque since the trade. Bourque is an absolutely astonishing -12 in 20 games with the Habs. That’s incredible.

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Watching the Flyers vs. the Caps on TSN2, and they’re pumping the hell out of the coming Leafs vs. Penguins game, hyping whether Toronto can continue on their playoff quest. How I wish we could have burst that balloon last night.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

28. naweed235 says:

So here I am studying hard for my midterms and I run into this video… good for a laugh
    Notice the guy in a Bruin’s Uni:

29. C-Sword says:

So we’re playing against Cammy this tuesday. Do you think he will score a goal or 2?

30. boing007 says:

One goal again! When do we start calling the Habs offence the attack of the girlie men.

When Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes our new coach.

Richard R

31. Bill says:

This “Wrath of Grapes” movie is pretty good, haha!

Cherry’s Kid: “Did Dad just take a shot at every GM in the league?”

Cherry’s Wife: “Uh-huh.”

32. SlovakHab says:

Talking about prospects, who has better top 3 in your opinion?

BOS: Jordan Caron – Dougie Hamilton – Jared Knight
    MTL: Louis Leblanc – Nathan Bealieau – Brendan Gallagher

• Bill says:

Hard to say. Hamilton is great. Beaulieu is also excellent, just totally different types of players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think the Bruins’ prospects are a couple notches better unfortunately. If we accept that Mr. Beaulieu and Mr. Hamilton are equal in potential, I still would take Jordan Caron over Louis Leblanc, and Jared Knight over Brendan Gallagher.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bill says:

I prefer Leblanc over Caron. It’s just a hunch, but I think Leblanc has a ton of hockey sense … he looks really smart out there.

Caron has the size, but it’s not like he really uses it. I think Leblanc could turn into a Carbonneau type player.

33. Un Canadien errant says:

How much of this latest scouting on Mr. Grigorenko might be a smokescreen? As in, a team that’s thinking it might draft 6th to 10th starts a whisper campaign against the guy to make his draft stock fall to be able to scoop him up when he ‘falls’ to them.

In recent years I haven’t followed the NHL draft quite as closely as the NFL draft, but it’s very common in the latter to launch misinformation campaigns, usually about the player’s character (drugs, girl trouble), to attempt to manipulate a player’s draft position.

So who has seen him play? What’s your firsthand account?

In passing, I’ll be scouting Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland on Wednesday and report back. And by scouting, I mean I’ll watch the game and try to not have too many beers and give you my impressions.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

34. slapshot777 says:

What a stupid poll question. What did they think the answer would be.

35. zorro says:

The part I enjoyed most about last nights game was, Coach’s Corner. If you haven’t already seen it, you can see on you tube, try to watch Mcleans pre game interview with Brian Burke , then watch Don’s rant. Don makes a good point.
    Myself I’m a Habs fan, and a question I have to my fellow fans, why don’t The Montreal Canadiens have more Quebec born players?? Are there no talented players coming from Quebec ? And if so can they be any worse than the current players on the roster?
    I would love to see the team filled with home grown talent, because to win you need passion. And believe me right now there’s no passion. I was born in Ontario, and live in Ontario as a die hard Habs fan, and from here I see the team needs Quebec born players, like the rosters of the cup winning teams of the 70′s. I always thought that it was to their advantage to develop Quebec kids, but I think Habs management is missing the point.

• ooder says:

the problem is the quebec born talent is not running to play here.
      briere passed, lecavalier doesn’t want to play here, who is else is there? simon gagne went to LA, St. Louis is going to stay in Tampa.

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Bill says:

The Q is definitely the smallest and weakest of the junior leagues. So there’s that.

And yeah, once the talented Q players are picked up by other teams, they don’t seem crazy about the idea of playing in Montreal. Some athletes like the pressure and challenge of playing for super-fans in a top market: the Q guys, not so much.

• HabFab says:

Thirty years ago Hockey Canada developed it’s Excellence project to catch up with the higher individual player skills from European players. Quebec opted out for “political” reasons and soon lacked far behind the rest of Canada and United States with it’s Hockey Development program. The short version is that the quality of players coming out of Quebec has drastically fallen behind in North America.

• nickster13 says:

The Q sucks right now! Players from the Q havent panned out since the 2000s with very few exceptions. These things are cylical and the Q will be back again in 10 years.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• boing007 says:

How about we only allow NHL teams to draft players from their province or state in 2013?

See if Bettmann can wiggle out of that.

Richard R

36. SmartDog says:

Here’s the WEIRDEST/SUCKIEST thing about being a Hab fan right now on HIO.

A lot of different guys (including several below), some of whom are probably kids really, others probably don’t even play hockey, are suggesting forward line-up arrangements for the Habs for next year…. but what we’ll probably end up with won’t be as good as most of their ideas.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFab says:

Now come on! That is not even a glass half full! :)

• SmartDog says:

Think of if this way. If you could go back and see what line-ups people suggested last summer, would they be as bad as the one we have today? I doubt it. No one in their most ill-advised fantasy would suggest the line-up we have.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Cal says:

All those potential lines are, quite frankly, a waste of time and effort. As a “line I’d like to see”, okay. But the thinking that they know more about the players than all the coaches is absurd. After saying that, wtf was Staubitz doing on Pleks line? Hasn’t he suffered enough this season? :)

37. Un Canadien errant says:

People, people, it’s Beaulieu. B-E-A-U-L-I-E-U.

Remember it this way: Beau + lieu = Beaulieu

Both these words are familiar to anglophones.

beau: noun
    1. a frequent and attentive male companion.
    2.a male escort for a girl or woman.
    3.a dandy; fop.

lieu: noun
    noun
    1.place; stead.
    2. (Idiom) in lieu of, in place of; instead of: He gave us an IOU in lieu of cash.

Also, if all else fails, we can always fire up the Google machine.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bill says:

That doesn’t help anglos with pronunciation. I would describe it as something like “bowl-YUGH”. It doesn’t look attractive, but it sounds right.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve done this pronunciation course before on these pages.

Beau pronounced as ‘Bo’ in “Bo and Luke Duke! Dem’ Duke boys!!! Roscoe!!!!”
        L
        ieu pronounced as the first part of ‘yearn’ in Kramer to George Costanza: “Do you ever yearn?”

So we have:

Bo + L + Yea(rn) = Beaulieu

It’s common for anglos to pronounce the ‘ieu’ or ‘ieux’ as ‘you’, so we end up with Clod Lemiooooo… It should be pronounced as the ‘u’ in Charles Montgomery Buuuurns.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bill says:

Your version is far too complicated!

Anglos will understand the “y + ugh” better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Maybe, but my version is highly entertaining, with references to pop culture.

You may not know this, but the key to teaching is to dazzle the senses and challenge the mind.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bill says:

^^ I am a teacher, and I can tell you from experience that the key is actually to keep it as simple as humanly possible :) Most people REALLY don’t want their minds challenged.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I think I can be the judge of this

Bill’s was more concise but this is all good to know. I now realize how often I’ve misspelled his name D:

• boing007 says:

Happy Place.

Richard R

38. Da Hema says:

I will be hoping the Oilers don’t select Ryan Murray and instead opt for a forward. If the Canadiens can get Murray, they must do so — despite the weak core of forwards this team has. It is generally more difficult to get an elite defenceman either through the draft or free agency (teams are generally unwilling to let top-tier defencemen go). Murray is described as “Neidermeyer-like.” The Habs haven’t had an impact defenceman since Chris Chelios, and I believe the Canadiens could secure a top-notch centre or forward via free agency if they could just dump Gomez.

But I am probably dreaming in technocolor. If the Oilers have any brains at all, they will draft Murray.

• SlimDiggity says:

I actually thought Murray looked awful for the most part at the WJC. I have watched a few of his games in junior and he is good, but I don’t know that he is an immediate impact player in the NHL.

• nickster13 says:

I disagree actually. Murray was BRUTAL for canada in the juniors, he was wobbly and mistake prone and in the game they lost, he was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was on for seemingly all of Russia’s goals, and even had some deflect off him. Bit of a red flag for me.
      More importantly… I think Elite scoring forwards are harder to find, whereas you can plug holes on D fairly simply through free agency, beyond your 1 or 2 top D pair.
      Even more importantly… We havent had a stud at the forward position since Mats Naslund, its time to potentially get one again.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Da Hema says:

Interesting. I have to say, though, the defenceman who disappointed me the most at the WJC was in fact our Beaulieu. He looked like a deer in headlights. That said, as Bill points out below, the last WJC team for Canada wasn’t one of our stronger ones.

• nickster13 says:

I will agree with that! Beaulieu was a bit of a bummer when he was supposed to the “pp guy and puck mover”

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Bill says:

Murray is great. I wouldn’t mind seeing him picked by the Habs at all; the WJC stuff is a blip, that just wasn’t a great team.

The only thing with Murray is that he projects to be more of an uber-reliable, stay-at-home shutdown guy, albeit the kind you can play 20 minutes a night. I haven’t heard much about his offence. I don’t know if you burn a #2/#3 pick on a guy who’s a shut-down D, even if he is can’t-miss, which Murray certainly is.

At that position in the draft, why not take a chance on Dumba? Could be the next Karlsson, right there!

• Boomer says:

Edmonton will most likely take murray and I hope they do. Galchenyuk or Forsberg is the best choice for this team. Unless of course we win the lottery. In which case welcome to montreal Nail.

• Cal says:

So, PK isn’t the one? I think if the Habs can nab a good center, they should do so. Lots of D coming up the pipeline.

39. ZepFan2 says:

Some fans are really into this losing thing…

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

40. SlimDiggity says:

So what’s the general consensus on the draft? Forsberg unless Yakupov is still available?

• nickster13 says:

Thats my pick. But i am however not Trevor Timmins and Pierre Gauthier.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Cape Breton says:

No matter who we get, our great management team will find a way to ruin him. Just like every other pick (aside from Price) that’s came our way of late. Honest to God, they will ruin him.

• Le Jadester says:

yep

Habs, OLE !

• Cal says:

Like they ruined PK?

• podbay says:

Not sure if the Habs’ mgmt will ruin the 2012 draft pick, but i have zero faith that the pick will be someone who the Habs would like to see actually MAKE the team in the fall. Our beloved Canadiens love to draft players and then keep them in the minors for years until they develop and blossom into a player good enough to perform at the NHL level. What a shock it would be to draft someone who actually makes the team in the fall. Look at the trade we made for Grabovski. While he flourishes in Toronto and burns the Habs when he plays us (John LeClair, anyone?), Greg Pateryn plays at the college level, probably wondering if he’ll ever be good enough to play in Hamilton, let alone Montreal. What genius made this trade? Oh, wait, it was Bo Gainey, wasn’t it?

And the beat goes on…

• Bill says:

Yakupov is going to Columbus barring an unlikely lottery win.

Grigorenko is the most talented, with Galchenyuk as the dark horse.

Faksa and Forsberg are safer bets and maybe better fits.

The guys who think you get points for fights like Gaunce.

• naweed235 says:

I’d go with Forsberg…
        BTW, how does that draft lottery pick thing work exactly?

• nickster13 says:

The lower you finish, the higher probability of getting the 1st overall pick. Lowest 5 teams have a theoretical chance, but the lowest team (Columbus) has a much higher percentage (48%:20%) of getting that first overall pick. That’s it in a nutshell.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• naweed235 says:

ya thanks, just read about it… so the best a team can move is 4 spots up and the worse is 1 spot down… so Habs actually might get a shot at Yakupov… Although with the luck this season somehow we will be completely disqualified from the draft

Just watched Goon. Loved it. Excellent story telling. Hilarious. I laughed. I cried.

42. Sean Malone says:

Team Belarus trading by PG & Gainey duo:

Grabs GP304 G82 A113 Pts195
    for Greg Paytryn (projected borderline NHLer 6/7 dman
    Trade Analysis: Gainey got punk’d

SK74 – GP291 G62 A92 Pts154
    for Dustin Boyd (couldn’t make the NHL), Dan Ellis (never played for the habs)
    Trade Analysis: PG got punk’d

AK46 – GP381 G100 A112 Pts212
    for 2nd rounder in 2013
    Trade Analysis: TBD (but probably PG got punk’d)

~I never said it. Honest.~

• smiler2729 says:

Don’t forget it Grabs to Laffs for a Pateryn, a draft pick (I think) and the rights to talk to Matty Sundin for a week prior to July 1st.

But you’re right, we still got screwed.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• HabFab says:

Both of you are wrong. Pateryn and a 2nd which we used to get Lang from Chicago. He was leading the team in scoring when he severed his Achilles tendon.

• Le Jadester says:

That line was amazing at the time when the K-bros flanked Lang.

Habs, OLE !

• smiler2729 says:

I liked Lang and that Super Bowl day injury screwed our season then.

Are you sure we didn’t also get Sundin negotiation rights?

__________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• podbay says:

And like with Tanguay, I wonder why the Habs didn’t resign Lang. Was his injury too severe for him to recover? Or was he another discard like Moore, Metropolit, etc.? Imagine where we might be if we had Metropolit and Moore still on the team. I am beyond disgusted with the GG show at this point in time.

• CHicoHab says:

we got rid of 3 punks who couldn’t give a rats ass about the CH

“take your time and hurry up”

• HardHabits says:

It’s funny how so much hatred is company to blind adherence.

• Le Jadester says:

Disagree.
        As for Grabs, perhaps.
        As for the K-Bros….JM ruined SK and rookie Randy trying to make a name for himself decided to go after AK (story in a nutshell).

Whether they give a rats tail about the CH is not the point….and I’m pretty sure AK did with his public statements (i.e. home town discount). The point is our management team effed up big time and if they knew what you know about them not caring….they should of traded them for a better return a lot earlier then they did.

What about when we gave up a 1st and 2nd to get Tanguay ? He even came out and said his grandfather is rolling over in his grave (or something to that extent…because he was a Nordiques supporter)
        How much did he care about the CH ? I would bet AK cared just a little bit more

Habs, OLE !

• Cal says:

Grabs in Montreal thought he was the shit. His attitude was the same. Should have traded him out west, like AK.
          SK was not paying attention at practice. JM exercised his authority as a first year coach, but they would have been smarter to send him to Hamilton. At 27, AK will not suddenly become consistent. Tanguay wouldn’t play in the playoffs with an injury. That punched his ticket out of town.

43. jo_maka says:

Should we still go for Jagr july 1st ? I say yes !
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• smiler2729 says:

Why?

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Whereas this July Mr. Jagr seemed like he might be a ‘missing piece’ to a team that could do some damage in the playoffs, we’re not in the same mindframe this off-season. We have bigger fish to fry, need to acquire young talent and develop it. Mr. Jagr would just eat up minutes away from our longterm projected players. So I would say no thanks.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

44. HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

Boone, you were glad that Toronto won last night. You never said at the start of the live blog that you wanted Toronto to win.

You are some piece of work. I put you in the same class as Cherry &
    Millbury

45. JayK-47 says:

It’s been 17 years since I watched a minute of MLB but seeing how this season is a wash, I’m gonna start watching again. Funny though, there’s not a word of the Expos in the paper, when does spring training start?

46. jo_maka says:

If – and that’s a big, huge, humongous if – we get a shot a picking up Parise on July 1st (meaning we can’t overpay for say a Suter or Wideman), who do you think we should pick up on D from the UFA market ?

Corvo ? Colaiacovo ?
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

47. Bill says:

If you’re one of those odd-ball posters who think HIO should only be hockey posts, please stop reading now.

But if, like me, you could use a good laugh, check out what Kirk Cameron said about gay people the other day. And make sure you read the twitter responses below.

• Cape Breton says:

I don’t know who this Cameron guy is but i know this: He’s like a poliitician, he dodges the answer to a question and squirms in his seat a lot. What a f—in asshole.

• Clay says:

Kirk’s always good for a laugh! I also loved hit take on how how the banana “proves” that god created the world…
      My favourite comments:
      “I know Growing Pains was only a tv show, but I have to think both Alan Thicke & Joanna Kerns must feel they failed as parents tonight.”

“Dear Kirk Cameron, If you have found homosexuality to be destructive, I have two words of advice for you–more lube. Love, Tiffany”

More on the banana thing here, in case anyone missed it:

__________________________
      ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

• ZepFan2 says:

So Kirk feels that God sealed the deal on marriage with Adam and Eve. Is Kirk advocating common law marriages?

I love this reply: “Kirk Cameron says marriage was defined by God in the Garden of Eden. No response from Cameron on why the world isn’t full of talking snakes.” :lol:

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• Trisomy 21 says:

Unbelievable. especially the comments. I don’t even know what to say but I don’t want to get into any kinds of debates anyways.

• smiler2729 says:

Coming from a guy who’s best friend’s name was Boner…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Duracell3 says:

“If Kirk Cameron hates gay people, why was he best friends with Boner?” -Zach Braff

Given our team will be golfing soon, wonderful watching Rory McIlroy this afternoon. What a brilliant young classy golfer.

49. Mark C says:

Big win by the Islanders for anyone pulling for Montreal to get the highest pick possible.

50. HabsFan82 says:

Hopefully Management will look for two good scoring wingers to play along side Plekanec and Gionta this summer also a good scoring winger for Eller and Bourque. for the 4th line. two tough guys that can put up 10-20 points along side of moen. maybe we’ll have a half decent team for a change. other than Cole, DD, Max-pac, Pleks, Gionta, Bourque, Eller and moen we don’t have much for forwards.

51. Toe Blake says:

You know, thinking about the current team reminds me of a scene in The Rocket. Forgive me, but I don’t think Dick Irvin Sr. said he wanted guys who hate to score.

• Cape Breton says:

Pierre the Ghost and all his helpers certainly do want guys who hate to score. And when we get a great pick in the upcoming draft, the idiots will surely find a way to ruin him. Just like they’re doing with Louie along with dozens and dozens before him.

52. derfab says:

Habs are lucky Pleks wants to play at all. He should have Cole on his wing. That “first” line is meaningless at this point. Seriously, you give the guy two ahl players and expect production? White did well with Pacioretty 2 camps ago. Let the kids work together and give your vets some respect.

In other news, AK looked really crap yesterday, eh guys? Just floating around. How long do you think it will take for a second rounder to have a 2 point game in the bigs?

53. McPhee35 says:

If ‘Fire Wilson’ chants worked in Toronto… Do you think ‘Fire Gauthier’ chants will help us???

Lucic with classic Lucic moment to finish the game today. Managed to throw about 3 shots to MacDonagh’s face with his glove on as time expired. It is comforting to know that the NHL continues to reward this player and his classic hockey stylings.

55. Bill says:

If the last game of the season is a choice between getting the 2nd pick with a loss and eliminating the Leafs with a win, would you start Budaj?

56. keepthefaith says:

Our current sucktitude has nothing to do with language? Excuse me. Why was PG hired without an external search? Exactly

• Mr. Biter says:

Also don’t want to start or get involved in the language debate but when you eliminate roughly 80% of the candidates for both jobs if french is not their 1st language you cut deeply into the talent pool.
      BG was an exception due to his tenure as a player with the Habs but the French Media want a French 1st coach/GM.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Toe Blake says:

The only thing that will save the Habs is the resurrection of the Quebec Nordiques!

• CanadienBoy says:

Yes and i got the funny felling Roy will be the coach

• Mr. Biter says:

Good point. Years ago one of my suppliers got me tickets to an Expo game in the afternoon then a Habs/ Nords playoff game that night. Since i don’t know french a kind gentleman sitting beside me loosely translated the intense bantering (in french) between Hab & Nord fans and I never knew someone’s Wife, Brother & Sister, mother and father and other family members (dog included) could do so many sex acts with each other. Put my curseing to shame.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

57. Toe Blake says:

As far as Gomez helping last night, the answer is nah. That would have been akin to a terminal patient hitting himself in the head with a ball-peen hammer. He would have merely diverted attention from the main affliction, i.e. this team stinks.

58. HABZ24 says:

28th place right where we need to be thanks maple loops

GO HABS GO

59. dre1744 says:

Does anyone know what time the Habs will be practicing in Calgary????????

60. francbiss says:

Was over Montreal over the weekend with my wife and we had the best of time. We want for dinner on Friday to Garde-Manger and we had the best food ever. On Saturday I took the time to take my wife to Schwart’s for her first Montreal Smoke meat and after we headed to the Bell Center. It was our first visit since the 100 years clebrations so we braved the cold wind and spent time looking at the statues and stopped by the new HHOF. My wife was stunned by all the rich history. We even stopped at the Habs Zone and spent over $300. The game started and Cole scored the first goal and the Leaves heavy crowd was kept silent. Everything was well until the beginning of the 2nd period where the Habs just stopped playing… I pay full prices for those tickets. They were expensive as they were 5 rows behind the players bench. Since the Habs stop playing after 1 can i get the refund for 2/3 of the tickets??? Thanks for spoiling what was until this point an amazing weekend

I’m right.