About last night …

Carlyle
Dario Ayala Photo gallery
Shall we get the heresy out of the way right off the bat:
I’m glad the Leafs won.
Now before you descend on my humble suburban townhouse with torches and pitchforks, let me do some ‘splainin’.

I have family and friends in Toronto.

They have suffered – with varying degrees of bright hope and bitter disappointment – through a Stanley Cup drought that has lasted 45 years.

Here in Montreal in 2012, we are experiencing what Leaf fans have lived with since 1967.

It’s no fun.

And I wouldn’t wish this feeling of hopelessness on any other city.

The Leafs are three points out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference. They are undefeated under Randy Carlyle.

They have loyal fans, a couple thousand of whom made a lot of noise in the upper bowl of the Bell Centre Saturday night, watching their team bounce back from 1-0 to win 3-1.

Let the biggest city in this hockey-mad country enjoy some late April hockey.

I’d love to see Winnipeg get in as well. And Calgary.

The more Canadian clubs, the merrier – although spring merriment probably won’t stretch east of the Ontario-Quebec border.

In blowing yet another lead, the Canadiens racked up their 23rd loss on home ice. That’s two more than lowly Columbus.

The 29th-place Edmonton Oilers have four more home wins than the proudest franchise in hockey.

The Canadiens are going nowhere this season. Everybody – fans, players and management – knows this.

So Randy Cunneyworth shuffles players in and out of the lineup and from line to line – hoping not to inflict any more black marks on a CV he’ll be e-mailing around this summer.

After facing 42 shots – matching the season-high total that Pittsburgh fired at him on Nov. 26 – Carey Price said he was “over being frustrated.”

“I’m just going to do my job,” Price added, “and try to do it to the best of my ability.”

The best of Price’s ability is pretty good. But there’s only so much a goaltender can do to bail out a one-line hockey team.

Max Pacioretty had six shots on goal against Toronto. Erik Cole had four (and scored the Canadiens’ only goal). P.K. Subban had four.

Three players had 14 of the Canadiens’ 22 shots.

With the exception of Joey Crabb, every skater in the Toronto lineup had at least one shot on goal. And Crabb had three hits.

Eight Canadiens had zero shots.

We’ll forgive David Desharnais his goose egg because he was making plays for his linemates.

Blake Geoffrion had no shots. Neither did Andreas Engqvist, who was bounced back to Hamilton after the game.

Tomas Plekanec had one SoG. And I’ll cut him the slack I cut DD, because the Canadien who, earlier in his career, centred Alex Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn  played with Ryan White and Geoffrion. But you can’t blame his inept linemates for Plekanec’s struggles in the faceoff circle: one win, 13 lossses.

Lars Eller went 9-6 on draws, but his latest trio included raw Louis Leblanc and the phlegmatic Rene Bourque.

This was a punchless lineup that, with the exception of the DD line and a couple decent plays by Lars Eller, exerted absolutely no sustained pressure in the Toronto end.

You have to think that Brian Gionta, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche … heck, even Scott Gomez … might have helped.

But Toronto needed a win. And after being outshot 6-3 through the early minutes of the game, the Leafs had a 39-16 advantage.

In the Saturday morning press conference that featured a tour de force performance by Brian Burke, Carlyle talked about the Leafs utilizing their speed. They did lot of zipping around the Canadiens’ zone, as the team with one functioning forward line also featured only one effective defence pairing: Subban and Josh Gorges.

Toronto’s speed seemed to create problems for Alexei Emelin, who managed a measly two hits (a total matched by his partner, Yannick Weber).

And looking ahead to next season, I think we can all agree that when the opening night starters are announced, the D pair will not be Tomas Kaberle and Chris Campoli.

October can’t come soon enough.

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

1. Toe Blake says:

I’ll come back and coach, but I want a new fedora and some Cubans!

2. Sal says:

This season is over. Turn out the lights. There’s only two teams, I still want them to beat this season, or, any season, the Gooiuns, and the Laffs. Last night sucked big time, especially when that goofy bastard Grabo scores…yeach!!! Obviously, the laffs not making the playoffs would be icing on the cake. That said, this year, is what it is….for Hab fans.

The Dog’s season is in the same boat. The Dogs were a talent weak bunch, that reflects the current state of the big club. Not likely to make the AHL playoffs. Too bad for LL. Nevertheless, the future is not bleak, and, based on upcoming prospects, many of whom will be on the Dogs next season; Gallager, Bealieu, Tinordi, Kristo, Ellis, Bournaval. (excuse the spelling errors)I know i am leaving out one or two more. Plus the draft picks from this year, one of which is looking like a lottery pick, and, 5 of the first 60 picks next year, which is by all accounts a deep draft year, and things could pick up very nicely in the not too distant future.

Now, if the Habs/Molson leave PG/BG in place, all bets are off.

Whoever, takes over, will have plenty of options, and, supposing Gomez/Kabercrap/Campoli/Weber et al., can be bought out/dumped to the Dogs, or just outright released, there could even be substantial cap room to have at his/their disposal. (After signing Subby/Price to no more than 3 year deals) As long as the cap space isn’t pissed away on UFAs past their prime, and, next year at the deadline, Habs unload even more deadweight. I know, I know, a lot of ifs and, buts….BUT.

In short, with the current crop of young players, we all know who they are, things could conceivable turn around more quickly than we anticipated!

As a Bull Dog watcher, from the Hammer, I’m really looking forward to next years crop of Dogs. Should be an entertaining bunch!

Sal from the Hammer

3. slapshot777 says:

I think the only way the Habs can attract any note worthy free agents this summer is to hire a well know assistant GM from another well established team, ala Jim Nill. None of this crap about being able to speak French or have a French background.

If he can speak French that’s a plus. Players respect certain GMs and their assistants. I think GM Nill would be a very excellent choice for a GM of the Habs, plus he could bring along with him some of the stability that he has learned from Ken Holland.

Who knows maybe he can pick off a coach from that organization as well. Going forward the Habs have to put the media and politicians out of the picture and hire the right people to do the job.

Honestly, name me three qualified French GMs or assistant GMs on any of the 29 other teams in the NHL, remember I said qualified not just because his name is French.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Rangers win 4-3. The Klansman in the Boston nets only made 13 saves.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

5. boing007 says:

Grabs was first star with two goals. PG and his erstwhile adviser, Gainey, traded SK74, Grabs and AK46 for literally nothing. This year this trio has around 50 goals combined. We could sure use them as our second line but no they are all gone.

They all played pretty well during the 2007-2008 season. I listened to the games on CKAC:
    31 Carey Price
    11 Saku Koivu – C
    14 Tomas Plekanec
    20 Bryan Smolinski
    22 Steve Begin
    28 Kyle Chipchura
    40 Maxim Lapierre
    Only four players remain from that team. What was Gainey thinking when he decided to tear that team apart and bring in The Smurfs?

• smiler2729 says:

I hope you cut & pasted all those numbers lol, wasn’t Grabbo #59 here?

Where’s Robert Lang?

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• boing007 says:

Of course I did. No way was I going to type each and every one. But it was an entertaining team that year. Right? A good mix of veterans, skill players, character players, young up and coming, the whole kit and kaboodle.

• AndyF says:

So that year, it made no sense to Grabs that he was odd man out, while Latendresse was playing on the second line. For a young kid like Grabs, who may not have all his zen working yet, this was impossible to take.

A better less distracted GM (his daughter had just been lost at sea), a better coach (whose love life crossed team boundaries), a better agent… and he might’ve turned out to be a really good asset for the Habs.

Fail to Fail for Nail

• boing007 says:

Perhaps Carbonneau wasn’t a good enough communicator with the young players. I was upset when the management gave up so fast on Gravboski. I heard his name called quite often when I listened to the CKAC broadcasts. That was good enough for me.

6. smiler2729 says:

Seriously, who are the candidates who would take the GM in Montreal job? And who can coach?

I don’t want to hear Patrick Roy and all the same names cuz they speak french or used to be Habs.

The only ex-Habs I’d accept as coach are Big Bird, Capt. Kirk or Carbo. Is the french thing passe yet? Has the sacrificial lamb RC proven that yet??

Hire the most fitting candidate and hire a bilingual assistant to meet the wags after the game.

I want a hockey guy with a freakin’ vision of his own that won’t back down.

While we’re at it, I also want a team president with the same, Molson should just step back and be the owner.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the worst Habs team since 1950 is also the least French Habs team since 1950.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

Hey I wish we had French Canadian players,
        I wanted Alex Tanguay to like it here but he bailed,
        Daniel Briere passed on us,
        Guidoune and Laps played their way out of here (imagine that, attitudes on them young ‘uns!),
        Benny Pouliot stagnated,
        the list is endless of francophone players who were eaten alive here due to impatience.

So now we’re placated with anglos with French names (Bourque, Geoffrion, Gommaise, Plekaneque)…

Anywho, the point is get the best available players who FIT the vision.

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

All I’m saying is our current suckitude has nothing to do with language.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

True but unless the horizons expand, the suckitude will continue.

__________________________________
            Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Canus says:

It would be nice to know who the candidates for the next GM are, wouldn’t it.
      What sucks is, for the life of me, I draw blanks as to who should be our next GM. I don’t want anyone that is part of the ol’ gang. I want new, fresh blood. But, on the other hand, I also don’t want fresh blood, such as Yzerman either, someone who is going to learn on the job. I would like someone who has being doing it for awhile and someone not like Burke, a blow hard.
      I would really hate to be in Molson’ place. He know’s he gotta hire a French speaking GM and coach, but, the barrel is almost empty.

7. LEAF KILLERS says:

is Galchenyuk playing yet? he sounds like the wild card of draft. Courturier dropped down in draft because of lengthy illness. he sounds like total package with great skill and attitude. how does he compare to Grigorenko?

• Trisomy 21 says:

I can only answer 1 question for you followed by an opinion:
      No, he’s not playing yet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks though. From what I’ve heard of the guy, I’d be happy if we drafted him, sounds like a pretty skilled guy. He should hopefully be ready for the playoffs + a couple of regular season games.

8. Trisomy 21 says:

You know what to blame Price is an argument of a very lazy fan who doesn’t want to think about how this team needs an overhaul in forwards and depth defensemen. It’s not that different from chanting “Fire Wilson”, because people just want to believe changing one piece will make us a playoff team. MTL is in 6th in the East for goals against. Pretty good. Goals for: 12th. If we traded Price for Lundqvist, just because he’s having a good season this year, do you guys really think we’d really be in much better shape? Call me a PriceBot, but I think I’m justs being realistic here.

• Canus says:

@ Trisomy 21, I’m guessing you’re 21. Down below, you replied to me with “….you’re wrong”. Some advice if I may, never, ever, tell someone that. That’s a really rude thing to say, and let’s the other person know quickly, with whom they’re arguing with. Someone young, and/or rude.
      You misunderstood me, by the way. I was speaking of Price only. Trust me when I say this, the team is screwed from top down. The management needs re-tooling, the coaching needs to be overhauled, and the lineup….well, let’s just use the same word, overhauled.
      What I mentioned about Price, is that I think he’s simply not a money goalie. That’s it, and dat is all.

9. habs001 says:

While the habs pp % is 29th in the nhl only 13 other teams have scored more pp goals…

10. Psycho29 says:

On videotron the game on NBC just switched to the Global feed of golf!!!!

Edit: The hockey is still on TSN2

• smiler2729 says:

Rangers 4, Bruins 3, late extra man attack by chowderheads falls short and when the buzzer sounds Luchicken and Brad Marshit mix it up like sore losers with McDonagh…

F Boston!
      _________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Psycho29 says:

You knew that was coming….

• otter649 says:

McDonagh seems to have a target on his back – Cooke got him last year & this season Ference and today Lucic……

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yikes. Just saw the Prust vs Lucic scrap from today’s game. Prust got his clock cleaned bigtime.

I can’t wait for the day someone in a Habs uniform really gives it to Lucic.

White would be up for the challenge but is definitely a weight class below Lucic. I think Staubitz has the potential to do a decent job but Lucic would still be the favorite.

Maybe Lucic picks his spots, which I don’t believe, but he sure knows how to pound on people.

• otter649 says:

I think Thornton would challenge Staubitz before Lucic since both are 4th liners with Lucic on the 1st line……

• Mr. Biter says:

Staubitz will go with anyone regardless of size. Took Brown out of yesterdays game and leafs didn’t seem to take their usual runs at Subban etc (however I hear there was fun at the end of the game). If someone could fill me in what happened. Also reason no one went after a Leaf after the Cole game it’s 2-1 and prehaps Staubitz and White knew or were told not to. Last point jackson was one of the 2 Refs from the Wild game and did last nights game. Is he the one who refused to call the hooks on Max on the open net and did he make the slashing call on Cole in the lsat minute?
            Also according to Burke (words of wisdom?) “it takes 3 years for a draft pick to devolp”. If so this site will be a hell for at least 2 years.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Cal says:

Lucic only fights people way smaller than him. He deserves a concussion. Soon, it will happen.

• habstrinifan says:

OOOPS! Pierre is gonna be mad. His ‘golden boy’ which he uses to continuously whip PG was minus 2 although NYR won.

• Cal says:

BG made that trade. Stop with the revisionist history.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW you are touchy. I meant Pierre McGuire who incessantly uses prattles on about McDonagh and uses it to continue his revenge against Gauthier whom Pierre insists was the main voice in the trade. I have posted re Pierre being a good GM candidate but I also find that he has gone overboard re rubbing PG’s nose in this trade.

My post was about Pierre McGuire.

• myhabs13 says:

I saw the line above “when the opening night starters are announced, the D pair will not be Tomas Kaberle and Chris Campoli”…..Kaberle may not be the “starting defense”, but unfortunately he is with the Habs for 2 more years which is still unfortunate.

11. gumper says:

Anyone else here think that with some minor tweaking and new management and coaching, we can re-tool next year à la Ottawa Senators, and be a top-six-in-the-conference team? I’m willing to hear the brutal truth about the need to adjust my meds, but with a few changes (I posted my suggested lineup for next year way down below.) I’m still thinking it’s a distinct possibility.

• smiler2729 says:

Definitely

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• habstrinifan says:

No not minor tweaking. This team needs approximately 5 to six players added into proper slots to compete. And by reasoning it needs to lose similar amount.

And most of all it needs a whole new coaching, game, practice, philosophy.

So no minor tweaking.

• SmartDog says:

Yes I think so: because of the young developing talent on this team and a few gems like DD and Emeline.

As long as we don’t turn away gift horses (Jagr), throw more Hail Mary’s (Markov), or pick up more horrlble contracts (Kaberle).

In other words – if we get rid of Gauthier. If we keep this idiot around, then no, we’re screwed for at least another year.

In other words –

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• patience is a virtue says:

Totally agree.

I think PG and Molson engineered a high draft selection by firing JM and replacing him with the far inferior RC and gutting the offense and defense by shipping out Cammy, AK and Gill.

The plan since it was clear that this season was going nowhere and that Markov would not be able to help save it has been to leverage the opportunity to free up the coaching job for the likes of Boucher, Roy, Crawford, etc and finally draft an impact big C (one of the Gs or Forsberg).

For next season, I agree we can turn things around quickly with Markov back and a new coach. I like the direction you went with your line up suggestions way below. It all depends on which UFA we can get to replace Cammy, and who becomes a placeholder on D for Tinordi (Kabs is the placeholder for Beaulieu).

I would love for the Habs to score Parise. Probably won’t happen, sadly. I don’t see them spending the big bucks on Wideman or the like, unless Markov is done. I see something like:

Patches-Pleks-Gio
      Cole-Galy or Grigor-DD or a UFA (Parise!?, PA Parenteau?) or someone they get in a deal for DD, Weber + a second rounder
      Leblanc-Eller-Bourque
      Moen-Moore!?-White
      Darche
      Gallagher

Markov-Emelin
      Gorges-Subban
      Kabs-UFA (Cory Sarich, or, more likely, Mark Eaton, or maybe Aucoin on a one year deal)
      Diaz

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s what I was hoping for. But then I look at our current roster and we’re missing maybe 2 wingers that can score. One to play with Pleks and one to play with Eller. And I’m being generous with Moen being on the 3rd line with Eller. So if that line is to score, it’ll have to be Eller or the missing winger.

How did Ottawa do it? Did they replace their 3rd and 4th lines by youngsters? Did they contribute anything?

12. cuzzie says:

When on DraftSite.com 2012 mock draft. They have the Habs picking Malcolm Subban in the 2nd round. Wow! 2 Subban’s on the same team.

Mr. Bad Example!

13. otter649 says:

Does anyone know who is The Bruins back up goalie as it appears Rask may be out for awhile – Two serious injuries for The Wild & Boston goalies after the trade deadline…….

14. matraque says:

Man… some people thought we could not get worse than JM… Can we have him back? I really hope RC is fired the minute the season is over.

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

15. alwayssunny says:

Sure the Leafs beat us like a redheaded stepchild, but I take solace in knowing that we had over 20 million watching from the pressbox. Actually forget about Markov and Gionta even, here is a simple comparison of the last two games vs the Leafs. Gomez in the lineup: 5-0 habs. Gomez out: 3-1 Leafs. End of story. See you next year Leafs, have fun in the playoffs.

• saskhabfan says:

Leafs won’t make the playoffs. Not with 5 teams fighting for one spot and 3 of them being from the southeast division.The #3 seed and the #8 seed will be from the southeast. Just all the head to head games with 3 point potential pretty much kills both the sabres and leafs.

• otter649 says:

The Leafs are the healthest they have been all season and are benching players like Armstrong – They have no excuses now if they do not make it into the playoffs…….

16. habstrinifan says:

I like the discussion re the dump and chase as introduced by poster SHILOH. While I am not saying it is entirely to blame, I think we have TWO players who can gain the o-zone with the pucj using their speed and skill. I hope tha with 2012-2013 season we season a new coach and many many hours of practices utilising the speed skill of Subban and Eller to gain the o-zone and know where their other players are to make that telling pass or give and go for a high-chance skill wrsit shot on net.

Of course when you do that you have to have your team practise a) to realise the opportunity and join the rush b) other players to recognize the holes being created in case the puck is lost and take the appropriate covering positions.

When a team does that.. create offensive combination forays while having players alert and ready to maintain defensive coverage… then you have high quality team play.

17. Chris says:

For those of you in the “Tank Brigade”…

Where the Montreal Canadiens finished in the overall NHL standings the past 10 seasons (starting in 2000-2001):

24, 18, 20, 13, 15, 19, 3, 13, 19, 14

The Canadiens’ typically low draft position is frequently cited as why the team is fighting for the 1st overall pick this season.

But let’s look at another team, the NY Rangers, and see where they have finished the past 10 seasons:

21, 21, 21, 25, 10, 15, 9, 12, 21, 18

Perhaps one of the teams the most clearly similar to the Canadiens, the Rangers have also been finishing high enough that they never quite get a great draft pick, but not high enough that they’ve enjoyed any playoff success of note.

Yet here we are in 2011-12, and the Rangers are 1 point out of first overall. And it is worth noting that this is not exactly a roster that had many people salivating coming into the season. They have perhaps the best goalie not named Tim Thomas (and some would argue Lundqvist is better). They have a game-breaking goal-scorer in Marian Gaborik, but he struggles with his health.

Yet that team made one move in the off-season, bringing in Brad Richards, and they’ve vaulted from fighting for a playoff position to fighting for first overall despite suffering two key injuries (Staal missed 36 games, Sauer missed 44 games). And Richards has been solid, but not spectacular.

One or two key additions can absolutely turn a team around, even a team like the Habs. Richards has allowed the Rangers to move Dubinsky to the wing, and Stepan and Boyle get less pressure to produce. So one key addition has allowed the Rangers to match their lines better and they’ve seen their goals against per game go from 2.38 last season to 1.98 this season with no accompanying loss in offensive production.

Obviously, building through the draft is one way to go. But the Rangers have shown that you can build a pretty good contender without the benefit of high draft picks if you can stay healthy, get great defensive play and some timely scoring, bolstered through free agency.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Chris, do you think the Habs will target Parise this summer? Is it a good idea?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Ok, so comparing The Habs to the Rangers, if the Habs added Rick Nash or Zach Parise (Gaborik) and somehow traded for Staal or Getzlaf (Richards) without giving up a significant roster player they could contend for the East. I would agree with that.

Like the posts below, the Habs need 2-3 physical Dmen, one of which can play top 4 minutes, that is a big piece. A couple of 3rd-4th line player..

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Here are a few reasons why the Rangers are doing so well.

- Lundqvist, who was selected 205th before the league clued in on European goalies

- The Gomez for McDonagh and Gaborik trade

- great 2nd rounders which brought them Anisimov, Dubinsky, Stepan and Sauer. They also picked up another 2nd rounder (Boyle) via a trade but also lost one when they let Tyutin go for Zherdev. 2nd rounders are important assets which usually come with a 25% success rate.

- it also didn’t hurt to have the financial ability (and nerve) to bury a 6.5M contract in the AHL for four years. Not to mention the Drury buyout.

• smiler2729 says:

Gaborik was a UFA add, no?

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• 24 Cups says:

What I meant was that Gaborik was affordable once the Rangers dumped Gomez’s salary.

Gomez + his cap space + Higgins = Gaborik + McDonagh

I’m sure that’s how the Ranger brain trust viewed it.

• Chris says:

I agree Steve. Just pointing out there are other routes to the top.

There are a lot of parallels between NY and Montreal which gives me some faith that the Habs could turn it around quickly too.

Goaltending: Lundqvist is better than Price, but they are both top-10 NHL goalies.

Defence: Rangers have got it done this year with a defence corps composed of Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto (all playing more than 22 minutes per game) and a bunch of spare parts (Stralman, Eminger, Bickel, Woywitka and Erixon) while they dealt with Staal missing the first half and Sauer the second half due to concussion woes.

Montreal’s got a similar core in Gorges, Subban and Emelin. With a healthy Markov, Kaberle in a proper role and 1 of Diaz or Weber, the Habs have a decent group that can move the puck, block shots and hit.

Forwards: The Rangers stayed very healthy up front, whereas the Habs were hit pretty hard by injuries (Gionta, Gomez, Kostitsyn, Cammalleri) that destroyed any chance the team had of rolling at least 3 lines. Essentially, the Rangers are proving the point made by the 2007-08 Habs, that a team can play very nice hockey if it isn’t constantly having to juggle lines due to injuries.

• boing007 says:

You forgot their coach.

• ont fan says:

For the last 11 years Sather has been tinkering with free agents. He gets first choice most every year and has managed to screw it up. Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. With the breaks they get for pesonnel they should be the Yankees. Whenever I read about how the Rangers got to this position I have to laugh.

• Trisomy 21 says:

You’re comparing a team who’s had 5 draft picks in the top 10, compared to the habs who have had two. Boom, a core to build around. Then a huge trade (lolGomez for McDonagh)

In Montreal’s current state, our GM would never make a trade like that. I see your point about free agency though, it’s only too bad it’s a more attractive place to play than MTL

• Chris says:

Here are their 1st round picks over the time period mentioned above:

2001: Dan Blackburn, G, 10th overall
        2002: no 1st rounder
        2003: Hugh Jessiman, RW, 12th overall
        2004: Al Montoya, G, 6th overall and Lauri Korpikoski, LW, 19th overall
        2005: Marc Staal, D, 12th overall
        2006: Bob Sanguinetti, D, 21st overall
        2007: Alexei Cheepanov, RW, 17th overall
        2008: Michael Del Zotto, D, 20th overall
        2009: Chris Kreider, C, 19th overall
        2010: Dylan McIlrath, C, 10th overall
        2011: J.T. Miller, C, 15th overall

The Rangers have ended up with only 3 top 10 picks (same as the Habs: Komisarek (7th), Kostitsyn (10th) and Price (5th)), none of whom is currently playing regularly in the NHL. Korpikoski, Staal and Del Zotto are the only regulars that have come out of their drafting.

The Rangers were built via trades, free agency and some judicious drafting in the lower rounds.

• HNS says:

and have Lumpquest as their goalie…..

• Sal says:

Good stuff, Chris. Questoin becomes, can the Habs attract any worthy UFAs given what’s taken place this year ? Possibly a new GM/Coach will add a positive effect to the possiblities. Lets hope so. It’s going to be a tough rebuild if they can’t attract any UFAs.

Sal from the Hammer

• Duracell3 says:

They also gave….and then sent down/bought out the AWFUL contracts of Redden and Drury. They would not be anywhere near where they are with those two contracts on their roster.

Also, they found the dumbest GM in the league to dump Gomez on.

Which brings me to my next point. Not even the joke running Columbus is going to take this guy, and we need to be done waiting; send him to Hamilton. This team is astronomically rich and can afford to do it. If he wants to be loaned to a European club to make more money that’s fine, maybe even better that we get him away from the kids.

18. HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

For those of you crapping on Carey Price are surely intellectually challenged.

1. In 95% of those shootout losses the team failed to score one goal.

2. In 21 losses out of 25 the team scored one goal or less.

Now the real blame for this monstrosity of a season lies solely on everyone but Carey Price.

1. If AK, Pleks, Gionta, Gomez, Cammy could have scored in the shootouts there could have been maybe 5 more wins.

2. If AK, Pleks, Gionta, Gomez, Cammy could have scored 3-4 more goals a piece they could have won 10 more games.

3. If the D-Mean had half a clue they would clear rebounds a not let anyone near Carey’s crease.

See logic does not seem to work with people who are intellectually challenged!

• drivefor25 says:

100 per cent agree. Carey Price is our franchise player now and going into the future.

Fan since ’71

• punkster says:

Dean, it’s funny really. You actually make some good points in there. It’s just your delivery.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chris says:

The offence can’t score. The defence has been guilty of some brutal turnovers and sloppy play, and Price has been guilty of some brain cramps that have cost the team points and/or wins.

Without Price, the team probably has 10-15 fewer points. But this does not absolve him of blame, as his poor play and mistakes have cost the team points just as frequently as anybody else on the team.

If we’re going to give goalies so much credit when the team wins, they also deserve a little criticism when the team loses.

I am 100% confident that Carey Price would not absolve himself of responsibility for the mess that this season has become, so I’m not sure why so many fans are rushing to do so. It’s a team game…you win and lose as a group of players. Looking for scapegoats or heroes all the time accomplishes little.

• HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

You are so wrong Chris!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Isn’t looking for “scapegoats” part of a GMs job, if not then Gomez’ and DD would have been equally to “blame” for this seasons failure.

• DorvalTony says:

Molson. He should have entered the picture with a good old-fashioned Stalinist purge and cleaned out the Gainey regime which has been a disaster.

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque

• boing007 says:

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque.

One last time. That quote was created by Aislin in one of his cartoons after René Levesque was elected.

• saskhabfan says:

Don’t waste your time,tony also constantly says it was gainey who didn’t return any of robinson’s phone calls .Meanwhile the entire time it was boivin.

• Chris says:

No, looking for scapegoats is what the fans and the media do.

Looking for players that fit roles is what a smart GM does. Sometimes, the player isn’t the problem, but instead the role that player is being asked to fill.

Saku Koivu, Tomas Plekanec and now David Desharnais are all good NHL players that probably should not be asked to carry the load of #1 centre if you want your team to contend for the Stanley Cup. They just aren’t quite in that elite pool of players.

Similarly, Tomas Kaberle is a perfectly functional NHL player so long as he is in a clearly defined role (PP specialist, 3rd pairing defenceman). Where things go off the rails is when, due to injuries or a lack of depth, you need to put Kabele on for 12-15 minutes of even-strength hockey. That doesn’t play to his strengths.

Given that Gomez missed 30 games this season and wasn’t playing at 100% for many of the ones he did play, I have a hard time pinning the team’s failures on him. And that comes from one of the most vocal opponents to his acquisition since Day 1.

With Gomez, the Habs are 14-16-5.
          Without Gomez, the Habs are 11-15-5.

They are a bad team with Gomez, and an even worse team without him. That tells me that while he has been a disappointment and it would be nice to get more offence from his line, there are other problems with the team than Gomez.

We will never know how the team would have done if Desharnais missed 30 games. Would Plekanec or even Gomez manage similar offensive numbers with Cole and Pacioretty flanking them? My personal inclination is that Plekanec certainly would, while Gomez probably would come up significantly short. Although it is worth pointing out that Pacioretty found his NHL game while playing alongside Gomez and Gionta last season.

• Canus says:

I’m not sure if I can call you a Habs fan. I would say, you’re a Price fan.
      I really believe a lot of Habs fans have blinders on full time.
      Price. Yes, he’s good. But, at the end of the day, he’s not a money
      goaltender (Brodeur, Roy, to name a couple)
      Everyone always uses the horrible excuse that when it comes to shootouts, we should pot some ourselves. But, the reality is, he hardly stops any. Sure, it would help if we scored in the shootout, but, even if we did, all our shooters would have to score to make up for Price’s inability to save any.
      Sorry, I like Price. I like how he has matured over the last couple years. But, I don’t think he’s the goalie the Habs had in mind when they picked him 5th overall.
      I really do wonder though, do Habs fans have more blinders on that other teams fans.
      By the way, I’m not saying I’m right, it’s just my opinion.

• HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

Yeah I hate the Habs

• colin_nowra says:

Price would have had to have shut outs in a minimum of 21 games for them to win

• Trisomy 21 says:

Well your opinion is wrong. Montreal is in the bottom 5 in the league for scoring percent (less than 1/4, and that’s less than one goal per shootout provided it ends after 3 shooters per team). Can’t blame Price for that. I like Price, he always gets crapped on by the fans for what reason, I have no idea. Maybe he was just born of the wrong language. I’ve heard 17 losses have been from MTL scoring one goal or less. Hell, let’s blame the goalie!

• DorvalTony says:

How many shootout losses were there where did he not stop a single puck? How many pies has he served to the opposition this year in regulation time? How many times did he allow goals within less than one minute of the poor goal starved Canadiens scoring?

You’re right, he’s taller than Jaroslav Halak. LOL

Price Kool-Aid = “It’s always somebody else’s fault.”

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque

• Trisomy 21 says:

How many times have the Habs been shut out? How many defensive meltdowns have we seen in front of the goalie? Be realistic, Price is above average and most teams would be grateful to have the guy.
        Now go jack off to your Jaro posters.

• HNS says:

You are truly a PriceBot bone_head

19. boing007 says:

All this wishful thinking that Price will one day become blah blah blah. It sounds a lot like The Second Coming. Seen Jesus yet?

20. boing007 says:

In addition, the talent in the NHL is becoming so saturated that certain teams (including us) are in this continuous tail-spin of being “average”.

Average=Parity. I.E., mediocrity spread throughout the league. Too few above average second lines, too few above average third lines.

21. habsforlife93 says:

To those fans on here who think Price is a bad goaltender and say hes expendable, need to get their head out of their asses. No matter the ups and downs if this club, Price is the solid rock that will one day bring this team glory. Price isnt even his prime yet, and already has been named to the all star team each year he has played. All the rest of the top goaltenders in this league have a good club in front of them. The players are not to blame “except gomez of course” its been management and coaching. Habs need to clean house, and form a vision of what this team should be and have evreyone on the same page. This bandaid approach over the years is ridiculous. I dont care if we miss the playoffs, or have a french speaking coach. Bottom line is the nhl is a buisness and we need to get with the times. I love the habs and its history, but lets get the right people for the job. Lets do the right thing this offseason and “retool”, beginning with a new gm and coach and draft according to our needs. We honestly already have alot of good pieces just need to have the right people complete the puzzle. Ive been a habs fan since i was born, and no matter what happens i will always watch this team. And for all you douches who will “quit watching” because u dont agree with players, management or whatever. No one will miss you. And maybe you should just go buy the stanley cup winning teams jersey each year to feel bettet about yourself. GO HABS GO!!!!

• LizardKing1967 says:

My point exactly about Price.
      he IS a thoroughbred. put him in goal on the Rangers, Red Wings, Blues, Canucks, Bruins (heaven sake) and even San Jose. You cannot tell me he wouldn’t be in the top 3 in GAA, PCT and Wins.
      Get over it. Habs made the right move trading Halak. Price is young. I’ve said it (as well as others) before, unless your name is Brodeur, Roy or Dryden, the BEST golies come into their own around 27, 28, 29 years old. Price is only 24!

Put a TEAM in front of him, and he’ll win a cup or two.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• boing007 says:

I’ll say it once. We were better off when we had Halak and Price. Two very good goaltenders who complemented each other. Budaj, Auld and all the rest of them do not give us the same security when Price loses his mojo.

22. HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

In every live blog since this site & the former site has been in existence Boone always gave more credit to the opposing teams.

Price said it all last night, he came out and told the Media (if U can read between the lines) that he doesn’t give a Rats furry little arse about the rest of this season. He can’t wait for this season to be over & head like a bat out of hell back to BC!

Gainey & ruined this team for yrs to come. This is only a “one line” team & it will remain the same come October.

23. boing007 says:

Bruins beginning to look like the Hawks the year after they won the cup.
    Depleted.

24. boing007 says:

Cherry wants more Ontario kids in TO and more French kids in Montreal so whenever the Leafs beat the Habs he can rave about how much better those Anglo kids are. Real Canadians. Grrr!

25. BKAK72 says:

If the season ended today…

The HABS have a realistic shot at drafting Mikhail Grigorenko, that gives them a big offensive centre to use on the first (or second line).

What then do you do with DD/PLEKS/ELLER/GOMEZ*?

*They obviously won’t bury him in Hamilton and nobody is taking on that contract (even if it’s $5.5 million out of pocket for $7.5 million hit)

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• LizardKing1967 says:

Keep Eller and DD. Trade Pleks on draft day. He has good value, and there would be takers. Gomez, buy him out. Last two years at 3.5 loss. It’s worth it. Draft Grigorenko of Faskas, let them play right away as one of our centers.

Cole – DD – Max-Pac
      Gionta – Grigorenko – ??whoever we get for Pleks
      Leblanc – Eller – Geffrion
      Staubitz – White – Moen

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m pretty confident that Gomez will be bought out – there will likely be a penalty-free buy out period after the new CBA is signed (like there was last time).

Too many teams have an albatross contract not to have one (and the Player’s Association would likely prefer to have their members in the NHL and not buried in the minors like Redden)

26. Laramy87 says:

This team has another 8 or 9 wins with Markov and Gionta in the lineup full time this year and would be in the playoffs or playoff hunt.

Imagine those games where we blow 1 goal games and lose in shootout. I bet doesnt happen.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Three fights already in the NYR-Bos game.

TimTom has let in 2 on 8 shots.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

28. TorontoHabsFan says:

Here’s something interesting, of the top 25 goal scorers in the NHL, only 4 were drafted after the 1st round:

Neal (2nd)
    Vrbata (7th)
    Moulson (9th)
    Ryder (8th)

29. Stev.R says:

I know Cunneyworth won’t be head coach next year, hell , I’ve known that since the day they named him coach, but I always had a feeling he would just return to being an assistant coach.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I honestly hope Cunneyworth stays with the Habs after receiving profuse apologies from Gauthier for putting him in such a bad situation. To become a rookie head coach a few hours before a game in one of the most rabid (if not the most rabid) hockey city with an especially vocal fanbase and prying media amidst a language controversy of all things in an injury-depleted lineup featuring a rookie defense and lack of offense outside of the top line with an underperformer in Gomez… that is being set up to fail. I really hope he stays as an assistant or something. He deserved better. The team doesn’t practice often even though they direly need to develop some chemistry, but I don’t think that’s because RC doesn’t think they need practice – it’s just that the team is in no shape to practice.

30. Laramy87 says:

Habs have picked in the top 5 once since 2000 (05 and got Price) the last top 5 pick was 1984. We all know how our last top 5 pick turned out, lets hope we can finally have a draft pick that can make that step and be an everyday NHL’er next year.

That being said in 2-3 years this team can be really good with young talent like Leblanc, Tinordi, Bealieau, Gallagher, Ellis and Kristo.

31. boing007 says:

Rangers vs. Bruins on NBC. First period, ten minute mark.

Richard R

Watching the Rangers-Bruins game and I notice just how out of this league the Habs really are. The Habs are not a few pieces away. They are a half team away.

• Laramy87 says:

Habs have beaten the Rangers twice this year quite soundly and lost one 5-3 in NY. All 6 games with the bruins were close (1 goal games) and we wont 2 of them.

We are a few pieces away

• HardHabits says:

Just by your use of the word “we” I can that tell you are disconnected from reality. You are not on the team. Nor is anybody else who posts here. They, or the Habs, are more than a few pieces away. They have 3 NHL capable defencemen. The have 1 line worth taking about, and that line would be hard pressed to be a #1 line on any team that is currently in the top 10 in the NHL. A very good 2nd line for sure but not a #1 line on a contender. The Habs have nothing in the pipes other than a few prospects that have yet to play at the AHL level. Much to prove there and even if good those players are at least 1-2 years away. The Habs have zero depth in net organizationally. They lack any true number 1 line material in the pipes.

So the Habs are in need of a 1st line, 3 defence men with size who can clear the zone, can hit, can fight and hopefully have a shot that can hit the net from the blue line. They also need a 4th line that can bring energy, play responsible defensively, can mix it up and score a goal here and there.

I’d say the Habs are more than just a few pieces away.

• MrNax says:

I pains me to agree with you (because it’s a sad truth) but that is a very sound assessment. I’ll add that I like eller as a centre and think that he will be a very good asset for the team going forward. He has creativity, great hands and some size. So we have a very good second line, 3 D-men (Subban, Gorges, Emelin) and Eller. :)

• HABS_TO_THE_BONE says:

We are a part of the team HH & don’t U forget it! We as fans pay their salaries …

• habstrinifan says:

You gotta be kidding HH. I am sure that I am responsible for at least 5 victories this season. Without my input this team would be lost. We would be lost.

• HabFab says:

I’m lost!

• punkster says:

Someone who disagrees with you is “disconnected from reality”?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFab says:

What do you expect from a guy that has been riding around in an old tank for two years breathing diesel fumes and obviously more then a little carbon monoxide??
            Sin really!! So sad, he could have been a contender.

• HardHabits says:

My Tank™ is in a very elite class and runs on high octane fumes and vapours.

I am not disconnected from reality I am just connected to a very transmogrified one. Think seeing sounds and hearing colours.

• punkster says:

HH…you mean meth?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• New says:

Ever notice that the use of the term “we” fades as the losses mount?

• jedimyrmidon says:

People use “we” associated with a team they support all the time. I don’t see that as being disconnected from reality.

• punkster says:

Half a team, sure. However it’s not as if half the team should be dumped. Bear in mind that there are 6 or 8 young guys who will likely have reasonable careers (here or elsewhere) once they gain more experience and about a dozen who are actually quite good. It’s the remaining bunch who need to be upgraded.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Depends. I’d say you are pretty close though.

Starting at the net they need a back-up goaltender than can play for an extended period if there is an injury to Price.

On defense, let’s assume Markov becomes healthy. They also have Subban, Gorges, Emelin. They need two physical D-men, a 5-6 to play with Emelin and a 3/4 to play with Markov. Also, a physical depth D-man.

On Forward, they have a second line. Need a top line Center and Winger to compliment Gionta, Bourque and Pleks are not top line players. Assume Bourque Pleks Moen are a third line. That leaves Darche, Eller White.. not too bad for a 4th.

Essentially they need a top line left winger and a top line center, a couple physical depth defense-men, a healthy Markov, a backup goalie…. WOW, that is a lot of work to do.

*Note: I know the 3rd line I mentioned has a HUGE cap hit @ $9.0 mill

• Chris says:

Out of curiousity only, did you also honestly foresee the New York Rangers vying for first in the Eastern Conference this season when you looked at their roster coming into this season?

• jedimyrmidon says:

You know, I’m not convinced that a contender’s #1 line is better than MaxPac – DD – Cole. Look at Nashville. Their top line doesn’t stand out. The same is probably roughly the same for St.-Louis and a few other teams.

Teams like Ottawa and Toronto definitely have high scoring #1 lines and yet neither are true contenders. Tampa Bay has Stamkos a very effective top line, but they’re out of the playoff picture for now.

My point is, the Habs don’t need a stacked 1st line even though it would definitely be nice. Pleks is an excellent 2nd line center. He just needs some good wingers, and line combos that stick for a while. Slotting him in as a 3rd line center is just going too far. And Eller as a 4th line center? He can be a lot better than that.

33. Mr_MacDougall says:

Lucic “picks his spots”

34. Hobie Hansen says:

I have to agree with Mike Boone one this one. The Toronto Fans have suffered long enough. If they miss the playoffs again this season that will be 7 straight years of missing the playoffs and that doesn’t include the lockout which would raise the total to 8 years with no playoff hockey in Toronto.

That is harsh! I could survive if the Canadiens missed the playoffs 2 years straight or maybe 3 but if they weren’t significantly improving by the 4th year I’d really have to consider watching Curling or Baskeball or something instead?

I too hope the Flames, Leafs and Jets can get into the playoffs. The Bruins are public enemy #1 by far at the moment and the Leafs aren’t really our arch rivals anymore. That will hopefully change one day cuz it sucks when Toronto and Montreal both stink.

• ABHabsfan says:

I have never felt bad about the Leafs sucking. You have to admire the resiliency of their fans, though

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

35. HabFab says:

Noticed earlier that a couple posters were saying that our first pick should be the top Quebecker…who presently is Raphael Bussieres ranked 54th. Please gentleman, that has to rank as the most idiotic moronic statement today!!!

36. Mr_MacDougall says:

Over the past ten seasons a Hab has scored 30 goals just 4 times
    Ryder (2)
    Zednik
    Kovalev

37. HNS says:

Another PriceBot…..You’re not going to win a shoot out when you let everyone on the other team score against you. He is WAYYY over rated.

38. HNS says:

Nothing wrong with Price? Really. Mind you his D is weak but he’s usually out of position on his knees. He tried to score a goal the other nite and got bit in the ass. He’s always good for at least one soft goal. When was the last time he stole a game????

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Which one was soft last night?

• ABHabsfan says:

Which one was soft last night? This team has all kinds of issues and glaring holes, but goalie is not one of them. Back-up goalie; maybe.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• boing007 says:

He’s praying to Jesus for Divine Intervention.

• Laramy87 says:

Sure run price out of town and we are really screwed. Thats the style of goaltending know. There are liek 3 goalies left in the league that are not butterfly.

• LizardKing1967 says:

ok. we’re gonna get into this again?
      Price has 25 losses. In 21 of them, the team has scored ONE or NO GOALS. What the heck is he supposed to do? Shut out every damn team?

Stats after 55 games:
      last season: 2.41 GAA, .921 PCT
      this season: 2.40 GAA, .915 PCT.

What’s wrong with that? That’s pretty consistant to me. And thos are solid numbers. You have a career with those totals, you’re a star.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

39. EricInStL says:

Over under for total time of penalties 40 minutes…

40. HNS says:

If Scarey Price would have won 1/2 of his shoot out loses, they wouldn’t be in the toilet. The genius management team let the wrong goalie go. Horrible decisions like when all of these clubs went big, Habs went the other way with dwarfs and midgets. Way to go Bob.

• EricInStL says:

My fear is that the Canadiens will lose Price to free agency without getting anything of value for him.

I would so draft PK’s brother this year in the second round and then entertain offers if it’s made clear that they cannot sign Price.

Price for Giroux ?

• Kooch7800 says:

He is an RFA this year so they won’t go for nothing. if someone else sends him an offer sheet which could happen we get some draft picks

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Mike D says:

Not to say Malcolm won’t be a good goalie, but here’s a recent blurb about him from a scouting report:

“Malcolm Subban: Subban has started seven OHL games since returning from a groin injury on Feb. 4 and seen his goals against average rise from 1.98 to 2.47 thanks to a 3.77 GAA during that period. He has been pulled in two games, including nine minutes into a game in Ottawa after surrendering three goals on ten shots.

“Based on his performance in the past couple of weeks he has to be falling in the ranks,” said one NHL scout who had Subban in his top 20 earlier in the season. “You have to be concerned about his durability, and also the type of injury he just had. Groin injuries have a tendency to reoccur.” Subban missed five weeks with a sprained ankle early in the season, and then injured his groin over Christmas and missed another five weeks. If the struggles continue expect him to drop out of the first round on most team’s draft charts.”

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Price for Giroux? No and No! OK I am going to put it out there NOW!

Call your investment guy. Liquidate all your mutual funds etc. Go to the nearest bookie and place this bet.

In 2012-2013 Habs will have a player of similar size etc as Giroux with similar junior stats and with similar success in the NHL.

And his name will start with G.

We have Brendan Gallagher. He will be our Giroux and we still keep Price.

Bet on it. Elller at centre and Gallagher on right wing and a BIG FA type guy on Left wing… Badda Bamm Badda Boom you have your skilled dynamo second unit.

Can score and check! And has character in Gallagher.

You take this pronouncemnt…. pin it on your walls… and call me around game 20 next year when Gallagher is leading race for NHL rookie honours.

One Caveat… new coaching.

• Duracell3 says:

Not that I think trading Price…for Giroux especially is a good idea, I still think you are out of your mind. I will save this, and we will see.

• boing007 says:

The Senators now have three goalies. One more than they need.

• Kooch7800 says:

how many goals did we score in those shootouts? get a clue

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• ABHabsfan says:

1/2 of the SO losses would put the Habs at 64 pts, still in the crapper. How many of those losses did they fail to score a goal? Or just 1?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• alfieturcotte says:

Agreed.

Carey Price is good, but that is it. Perhaps he needs to quit believing the thoroughbred anointment(s) bestowed upon him. Of the 5 or so seasons he has been our starter, only one would qualify as very good (last year). And until he steals games a la Roy or Halak, he will remain good, but that’s it.

• LizardKing1967 says:

Put a TEAM in front of him, and he’ll win a cup or two.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• Duracell3 says:

He had the same, more actually, of a chance when Halak was here. The same team in front of them. We know who won out on the ice.

But you are right. This team is awful and the goaltending is the least of our worries. I would like to see Budaj play more however. Every game Price plays risks him injury for nothing.

• boing007 says:

Hear! Hear!

• Propwash says:

Yep….all Price’s fault, he is the source of all the Habs’s woes……

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Mark C says:

That would be 3.5 more points, moving Montreal half a point ahead of NYI, in 13th place. Really out of the toilet in 13th place, huh?

41. EricInStL says:

Man Mitt Romney is a douche.

42. HNS says:

Is it too late to get Halak back? Price has the attitude of Roy with the skills of John Davidson. Pack your bags red light or shut the f@&& up. The fish stinks from the head down so Molson either has to take charge by hiring some real hockey people or sell the club because it’s obvious you don’t know what the hell is going on. 2/3 ‘s of this team needs to go away. What a effin excuse for a once mighty NHL franchise.

• habs17 says:

well i respect your opinion, i believe that Price would be doing just as good as halak in St Louis. They are so much better then us, Price is still a better goalie then halak. Its just St Louis is just a way better team

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• gK_HabsFan says:

ok… Last night, Halak made 18 saves. When was the last time Price played a game where he only had to make 18 saves.

Second, thet played a back to back this week against the Oilers and Canucks. They played Halak against the weaker team (Edmonton) and Elliot against the Canucks.

Elliot and Halak have played almost the same number of games, 30 and 36 respectively. However, Elliot has a lower GAA and Save %… Significantly lower!

THis speaks volumes about the the Blues and the System they play over there

-GK-

• dallyd31 says:

Really…the guy who faced over 40 shots and bails his team out last night as he does most nights is to blame.

Geez, fans are clueless sometimes.

• Mark C says:

Is saying Price has the skills of a former 5th overall pick, and the first goalie to jump directly from major junior to the NHL, really an insult?

• Kooch7800 says:

There is nothing wrong with Price. I would be more concerned if he wasn’t frustrated with the current habs. They suck. All three goals last night were not his fault and people like to pin it on the goalie….

Price, DD, Cole, Max P, Emelin, PK, Jorges, Pleks, and Eller are the core of this team. The rest can be moved.

Ask the Leafs what it is like not to have a decent goalie….

• Psycho29 says:

I know I shouldn’t feed the troll, but how many of the losses this season did the Habs score 1 goal or less? And in the shootout the Habs are what, 9 for 41? Not much offensive support….

• LizardKing1967 says:

out of 25 losses Price has, the Habs have scored 1 or 0 goals in 21 of those games.
        LEAVE PRICE ALONE!!!

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• saskhabfan says:

Yeah i’m mad halak was traded also. Just think had we kept halak we would have been able to draft nugen-hopkins last year,yakupov this year and mackinnon next year.

43. The Dude says:

Well as nice as it feels to have a great grand son of the Geffrion clan in the line-up it’s to bad I don’t think he’s gonna work out.Another perimeter player who can keep up to the play and is soft as kitty’s.I really am hating the management ,fk’n ship of fools!

44. EricInStL says:

I am very worried about this years draft, I really don’t trust Russian players. Draft them after the second round, but 1st round ? They have to be extraordinary.

Knowing this draft is not as strong as next year. I would suggest trading the #1 pick for an established player that can help right away.

Any thoughts ?

Galchenyuk is born and raised in the Michigan area. Yakupov has shown a very good attitude with the Sarnia Sting. There are reports of issues with Grigorenko, but I seem to recall issues with good ol Canadian boys like Heatley as well.

I understand the perception out there, but I don’t believe in Stererotyping.

• Kooch7800 says:

Eric, it is a gamble big time. This team is in dire need of offense now and they need a big centre with offensive instincts.

Grigorenko fits that bill but there are questions of his work ethic.
      Sounds all too familiar. Who would you trade him for? Someone like a Rick Nash with the tossing in of a couple other players? He could bring us some nice offense now but doesn’t solve our centre issue.

This will be our highest draft pick in quite some time so I really hope we get a keeper or do something smart with it….I will be interesting

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• gK_HabsFan says:

Most scouts I have believe that Grigorenko’s work ethic issue is being over-blown. Remember, the guy got injured in the WJC, so maybe his injury has not fully healed.

Anyways, all three russians slated to go in the top 5 are currently playing in the CHL. To me, it shows they are committed and WANT to play in the NHL.

• tbovs says:

most scouts believe otherwise…he has horrible inconsistency and may not be a physical number one centre in the mold of a malkin. His attitude is not like his other counter part yakupov who is well spoken and well liked in his community.

• gK_HabsFan says:

If you have twitter, I suggest you take a look at Corey Pronman’s timeline. He scouts for NHL.com. He says this whole Grigrenko thing is overblown. He had a leg injury at the WJC, which might explain why he has been so up and down since.

Another scout I follow on twitter said teams would be stupid to not draft him outside of the top 3

• tbovs says:

if you look at what has happened with him since the wj and how he has performed …. it has been hit or miss. No denying the talent level is there, it is just the desire to win and compete. The centre position is as physical and hard to play as any position and if you don’t compete well, it shows. One of my good friends who is a CHL scout and who i played my junior hockey with, talked about this as well and basically stated that the effort wasn’t there and if you compared him to Yakupov and his compete level there would be a no contest. He said there is an inherrant risk to be drafting russians so high because the circumstances and the pshyche is very different than a North American player. Reality is … no one knows whats gonna happen….if you draft him on size alone he may be a gem but WJC is a good telltale sign and for the most part (outside the injury) he had a horrible one.

• gK_HabsFan says:

Thanks for sharing…

Knowing cbj will likely draft 1st overall and take yakupov, so he’s out of the question. I was always intrigued by Galchenyuk. He was born in the US and played some hockey over there too. What does your friend think about him?

• ABHabsfan says:

So did Radulov

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

45. gK_HabsFan says:

I sometimes feel that our rich history gets in the way of our present success.

We try to mirror The Montreal Canadiens of old. However, we forget that the game has changed since the 60′s and 70′s.

Almost all the other teams in the league have the same resources that we do, hence it becomes harder and harder to find good players in the later rounds in the draft.

I can’t emphasis how crucial this upcoming draft is for us (provided we draft top 3). Drafting either Yakupov, Grigorenko or Galchenyuk might help this franchise to eventually compete for the Stanley Cup one day, instead of always effing battling it out for eighth place …

46. HabsFan82 says:

Here’s a half decent start up front for 2012-2013

Cole, Desharnais, Pacioretty
    scorer, Plekanec, Gionta
    Bourque, Eller, scorer
    Moen, ????, ???? Tough guys that can put up 10-20 points like Moen.

The Defence:
    PK, Gorges
    Emelin, ????
    ????, ????,
    Don’t depend on Markov, He’s a 1-hit wonder.

47. Castor says:

Guys. Hanging out with some Leafs fans yesterday( because I live in Toronto) and they kept asking me “who’s going to coach the Habs next year?”

I honestly couldn’t come up with anyone. Aside from Carbo or Roy.
    Who else is out there that speaks French?

48. SPATS says:

Enjoyed some spike hot chocolate before and during the game. That’s what this season has come to. If I want to watch an ECHL team, I could’ve gone to Victoria Salmon Kings games (before they were run out of town) The only reason Enqvist leads the dogs is because he’s the best of the worst left in the bare cupboard!

Earlier in the day, I changed my TV programming to get rid of Divertissement (and RDSHD) not because I’ve given up, but because I’ll smash my TV if I see Mario Tremblay and the rest of em smugly wiping their feet on the CH. It’s pretty clear to me that PG has been watching L’antichambre and taking his cues from their musings. How else do you explain the knee jerk moves? In the end, he put Cunneyworth in there to spite those clowns.

Mario the clown and the rest of those unemployed hacks did more damage this year than anyone ever has including the damage he did when he left Patrick in for 7. We’ll be lucky to sign any free agents and we will pay a premium rest assured. Get used to more Gomers and Kaberles signing up.

Any how, speaking of Ego’s did you catch Coaches corner? Normally I don’t tune in, as I can’t tolerate narrow minded dust in a tablecloth. However, on this rare occasion, I listened. Boy was I impressed for a change. He went off on Burke like there’s no tommorrow. Funny as hell to watch 2 stubborn old white guys go at it like this through the media. The gloves came off, if you haven’t seen it, look for it.

Bottom line, the enemy of my enemy is my friend (for now) and Cherry v Burke will only get more entertaining.

Grapes also finished his segment with the most tragic sad story about a 6 yr old who beat cancer but was killed last week with his dad in a car accident. If that doesn’t move you, You should take your dirt nap.

He told the mother and widow that he can only imagine what they’re going thru and he also spoke to the other 2 boys in the family and told them they were the men of the house now and they will have to be tough.

Lots of passion last night (like usual) but this time he hit the mark in my book.

Ken Dryden for president
    Jacques Martin for GM
    Carbo for Coach

(2 out of 3 are on the payroll and – could it really get any worse?)

Geoff Molson go back to hawking beer, you have to earn the respect, you can’t buy it through nepotism. No offense, it’s becoming obvious as Crony Capitalism unwinds

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

The story of that young family in Stratford is tragic and so sad. For all my frustrations with Mr. Cherry when he speaks of such tragedy it is heartfelt. I have a Co-worker who lost her son to cancer, prior to his death Mr. Cherry did numerous good things for that boy including taking him to Leaf games, visiting him etc..

It will be interesting how the Burke vs. Cherry battle royale plays out. Cherry has gotten away with attacking the Montreal Canadiens, the French issue and his general treatment of European players. However, taking on Burke and the Leafs could yield different results.

• HardHabits says:

Jacques Lemaire for GM, Robinson for assistant coach and I’m in.

• boing007 says:

If a South American grocery store exists in your part of the world, check out Guatemalan hot chocolate. It comes in a hexagonal box and inside are solid pieces of cinammon flavoured chocolate cocoa. Horchata is tasty too.

49. mrhabby says:

for those interested..bruins and rangers at 12:30pm..should be great game at MSG.

50. ffenliv says:

Leafs management must be pissed that last night’s interview with Burke, and then Coach’s Corner, and the subsequent ‘WE NEED ONTARIO KIDS’ outrage is setting the Leafs down the same path as the Habs with the whole French coach, French management, French players business.

It’s not that the Leafs have avoided Ontario kids, they just don’t have any in the lineup. Say what you will about the state of the Leafs, but I don’t think they’re flaming out because of not drafting Ontario kids.

I don’t know if it’s correct, but someone on the TSN site commented that the Leafs have drafted more Ontario kids the last 3 years than any other team. They’re just not with the big club.

Mattyleg’s discourse below makes me nostalgic for the days when the Habs would just turn their cheeks, hide their head and tails between their legs and shy away from scrums.

52. CranbrookEd says:

We (the HABS) have had way too many players that leave (are given up on) Montreal and become regular contributors to their new team(s). That is one of the first items that needs to be addressed, and it won’t happen overnight nor without the right management/coaching staff. IF done correctly, that means we play through a few more lean years as “our” talent develops while being fine-tuned with free agents who will want to play for the HABS (can you say Cole). I think that we have a great core to build from. It is scary that PG thinks that it will be a quick rebuild because that means more shipping of young talent in return for less talented players with more experience, simply because the younger guy was not developing quick enough . . . some are just not provided with the proper development time and coaching.

I now lower myself to make mention of Don Cherry . . . for the first time in a long time, I actually watched the buffoon’s little segment last night (likely because I was watching the game with a half hour of taping on the PVR, so I could have hit the fast-forward button if I detected an increase in my blood pressure) and cannot believe that he was allowed to continue his rant. Cherry, like so many other folks in professional sport, has no idea about what happens in the real world (in terms of work)! If you are a loose cannon and provide the impression that if approached about something that you might just rear back and hit the person, then virtually nobody is going to bring a concern to you. Instead, Mr. Cherry, the person will head to your boss who they hope will do something (at least talk to you about the situation) to bring you back in line . . . so don’t get on your high-horse and complain when it happens . . . perhaps, just perhaps, there is a reason that somebody chooses to follow that route instead of confronting you personally . . .

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean and Magic Tom!?

53. mrhabby says:

why not flip our draft pic for Jonathan Huberdeau in june,
    then trade our 2 second round draft pics for another 1st round pic leaving the habs with a player who is ahead of the curve and still have a 1st round pic.

• gK_HabsFan says:

Corey Pronman (Scout for NHL.com) says:

Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are all better than Huberdeau.

He said those three guys have Star potential, whereas Huberdeau will just be a very good player

• ABHabsfan says:

I’ve heard reports also that Grigorenko is over-rated and lazy. An un-named NHL scout even called him a “dog” and wouldn’t pick him even at 25. It’s all a role of the dice anyway, even the best scouts have no real idea how good an 18 year-old will be in 6 years time. Attitudes and habits ususally remain

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

After HI/O, the 2nd best Hab website has to belong to J.T. Here’s a humourous look at the plight of our beloved Habs as they tumble into the NHL cellar.

55. montrealtilldeath says:

Totally in agreement with Viper on who to keep on D. Sickened me to watch Weber panic dump the puck and force icing faceoffs in our own end. Result – The winning goal. I am tired of the same movie starring the same players (weber, Kaberle and campoli) Again Price stood on his head to keep us in it. Addition of White really helps us as it frees up others to play especially Subban. Man has he settled down and is playing great hockey. You can also see the other players beginning to warm up more to him. One thing I really like about him other than his talent is the fact he never quits. He is pushing just as hard at the end in fact harder even after playing all those minutes. I am so glad we did not panic and trade him. Next year will be much better for the club as JM’s influence recedes. We should not have lost Kostitsyn but the negativity created by a coach like JM takes time to wear off with a person that is as introverted as him. A fresh start next year with more toughness and a few more key additions with more maturity from players like Eller is what I am looking at. As I have said before in my comments I had great misgivings about going deep in the playoffs that year because it meant JM would be kept on. I always felt that he could never coach a cup winner. Love to see the Big Bird in some capacity behind our benc.

56. habstrinifan says:

I sense a big announcement coming on Monday!

57. HabsFan82 says:

we can look at a start for next year. we have 5-good forwards only problem where are we gonna get 7-more. if we don’t get rid of the 7-weak one’s we’ll be discussing the same things come march 2013. this is the worst Montreal Canadiens team I’ve ever watched. the 25th cup is a long ways off. I hate to be negative but if you’ve reached the age of 50 your chances of seeing the Montreal Canadiens win another cup is very slim. they’re on the same road as the leafs and I don’t need to tell you how long their fans have been waiting and they’re not even close. myself I’m just looking forward to seeing a good team in Montreal again should they win a cup it would be a bonus.

• Habfan10912 says:

Its not an easy fix as some, myself included, have suggested. This one is gonna be tough and take some time. You’ve made valid points in support of that argument.
      PS – I am above 50 but since my generation has destroyed the economy, political system, and the environment, maybe I can have hope that my son, chrisadiens will see a 25 cup.

• JayK-47 says:

Oh, it’s not that bad. The next round of US elections should bring some real change due to more diligent voters. Peak oil should make a nuclear powered hydrogen economy more attractive saving the environment and cranking the NA economy back up. And the Habs are drafting high with Gomez and Kaberle coming off the books after next season or even sooner if someone sells the value of having a playoff team to Geoff Molson.

• habstrinifan says:

I am 64! What are you implying? That I wont outlive this futility. How dare you. I lokk after myself. I dont drink, smoke or fornicate! I eat an apple a day! I have given up tranny fat. I will outlive this blip in our fortunes. See you on the parade route sonny!

• gumper says:

I think we’re looking for one or two LWs and one solid stay-at-home defence man. Next year, while waiting for the next wave, could look like this, without being too bad a team.

Cole DD Maxpac
      Parise Plecks Gionta
      Geoffrion Eller Bourque
      Moen White Staubitz
      Extra Darche

Markov Gorges
      Subban Yemelin
      Kaberle Wideman

Extra Diaz

Goalies you know

First callups Nash, Gallagher, Leblanc

Would involve dumping the Gomez salary to get Parise and Wideman.
      IMO this would be an acceptable lineup while we wait for Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Leblanc and the rest.

58. viper says:

i,am so pissed over last nights lost,i,am one of those hab fans that think we should tank for the draft but i have been a habs fan for many many years and i hate seeing them loose to the maple laffs who are laughing at us right now or the bruins other than that i say tank but please not against either of those two teams

59. ProHabs says:

Mattyleg,
    I didn’t notice Brown yesterday running Subban or challenging him to a fight like he did in the game 2 weeks ago. Did you??? If yes, tell me at what time of the game. I have it on the PVR and I will watch it again.

It’s still too early to tell but it appears that Montreal is well positioned to finish in the bottom five in terms of this summer’s entry draft.

The Habs are 7 points back of Toronto (67) and 8 behind Buffalo (68). That means that Montreal (60) will finish in the bottom three (in the East) along with the Islanders (63) and Carolina (62).

In the West, Edmonton (56) and Columbus (47) are totally out of it. That just leaves Anaheim and Minnesota at 66 points. Minnesota could free fall and push Montreal into 6th spot but that’s about it. The Habs still look like they are destined to finish in the bottom five.

You would have to think that Edmonton and maybe the Isles would be looking at taking a Dman. So that would leave Grigorenko, Forsberg, and Faksa. Galchenyuk is the wild card unless he’s able to come back and show he had recovered from his injury.

Over the years, I have found Bob McKenzie’s pick list to be the most accurate in terms of where prospects are actually selected. It will be interesting to see his final list in June.

Here’s an interesting link on Grigorenko and Faksa. If the Habs don’t win the lottery (Yakupov), Faksa just might be their chance to grab a Kopitar.

• JF says:

Steve – I’ve been thinking the same thing about Faksa. Big, solid centre, good two way player, and from what I’ve read, he seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. There are question marks in those areas around Grigorenko; and the Habs don’t have a particularly good track record when it comes to motivating players who seem lacking in heart or attitude. I’d take Faksa, and I might use our plethora of second-round picks to grab another top-10 pick.

Steve I have been scouring the internet looking for details on the surgery Galchenyuk had done. Looking for rehab information, how the surgery went etc… found nothing so far.

I still think this is the best player available with only Yakupov being in his talent level. If we end up picking 5th or 6th and he is there, I take him. (Assuming team has good medical information)

This our chance to finally get that impact player we have been searching for, for what seems like an eternity.

• ProHabs says:

Last time we listened to our medical staff, we signed Markov for 3 years and were told he would only miss 5 games at the beginning of the year.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great minds……

32 year old versus 19 year old. Markov’s first surgery was not done properly (in my opinion) and that is what we are still paying for. His most recent surgery was done properly and should lead to his return.

• Mark C says:

Unforeseen setbacks and complications are common, after all this is medicine/human body we’re talking about. Also, just because the medical stuff was “wrong” about Markov, doesn’t mean they’ll be wrong about Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk will be examined by a lot more doctors can just Montreal’s this spring.

• Habfan10912 says:

Well let’s hope the Hab’s crack medical staff, you know, the ones who advised PG on Markov knee before the signing, can get a good look see.
        I know I know, I’m not a doctor. Just let me vent please.

I guess my point is we rarely get a crack at this kind of talent, and I want to get the best player we can. Yes some risk, but the reward could be so much higher.

• Mark C says:

The world’s leading sports orthopod did Markov’s last surgry and would have advised the team/team doctors. Should we throw James Andrews under the bus too?

• Habfan10912 says:

Mark, please. Let me vent. Don’t confuse me with facts.

Unfortunately Mark, people have reason to be doubtful, but I agree with you on Andrews, for the life of me I dont know why he didn’t do the first surgery. Unfortunately, I believe the quicker rehab route taken on the first surgery was the problem. Had the full Patella tendon replacement been done the first time we would be in Year 2 of Markov playing for us since surgery.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald and Jane – If we win the lottery, it’s a no brainer, we go with Yakupov. If we select 5th/6th then it just might come down to Forsberg/Faska/Galchenyuk. The tough call might just be if we land up in the 2nd/3rd/4th slot. Then we would have to consider playing the Grigorenko card on top of the Galchenyuk gamble. I would have to think that Hab management would be leary after going through the Markov fiasco. There also is the strong possibility that we might be picking in the bottom 3rd again next season. So that would give us two really solid prospects. So why gamble?

As for Galchenyuk’s health, I read an article a few months ago that stated he was really working hard on his rehab program. But we also heard that Markov was ready for Oct 1st (although to be fair, kids heal much faster than older players who have had the same injury/surgery twice). It still would be great to see him play even a dozen games this year.

• habitual says:

Welcome back. Haven’t seen your posts in a while, though I have been avoiding all things Habs lately.

A high draft pick is cold comfort, and while a good way to right the ship, not any time soon. Unless there is a Crosby or Malkin that will give us instant high quality, we have to hope that Gomez gets buried in the AHL and whomever is the GM gets a couple of high quality free agent signings a la Cole.

Thus the UFA list this summer is more where my attention is.

• boing007 says:

That’s right. A few first round picks won’t propel the Habs into the position of potential cup contenders next season. Most of them are 17 and 18 years old. Not NHL ready.

61. HabsFansince49 says:

Mike Boone ends his article with “October can’t come soon enough”. Yes, BUT ONLY IF Gauthier and Gainey have sailed into the sunset. Otherwise, forget it…we will feel like Leafs fans (see Mike’s article) for years to come.

62. SmartDog says:

A goal and an assist for AK46 as a Predator last night. Good on ya mate. Sorry you had to go. Another example of great leadership in Montreal.

CLASSIC AK: “The Predators opened the scoring on Kostitsyn’s goal at 11:35 of the firsy period. Kostitsyn took control of the puck in the neutral zone, brought it to the right circle, and sent a wrist shot over Clemmensen’s right shoulder.”
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabsFansince49 says:

yes and look at Ryder.

• JF says:

Yeah, I saw that. I already miss him. There’s no one on the team with the ability to control the puck and find space the way he can. Eller’s 4-goal night was largely his doing.

• Benoitr says:

Big deal, AK got a goal….big and useless…he used to put a few in for the Habs, when the mood suited him. Good riddance to him. He’s one of the reason the Habs are where they are….All the useless bums that got traded away, got traded away for reasons. And as soon as they do something somewhere else all the bandwagon jumpers start saying that we should have kept them.

• Strummer says:

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

63. Mr_MacDougall says:

Jeff Molson’s strategy:

Make fans remember when the team was great.

64. munch17 says:

I was at the game last night and it was the first time in my life that the habs lost – even to the Leafs – and I felt a little relief – closer to a high draft pick.
    I hope RC experiments with his young players and sees what they could do with different wingers. Although DD – MP -EC are playing well – the fact is we have been losing big time. Mix it up a bit.
    Final word – was sitting close to Gustavsson – big time diver – surprised he didn’t get called at least twice for diving.
    Those refs are in the Habs corner gunning for top 3 pick.

65. viper says:

i think lawrancetown is bang on with his lineup for next year but we also need some solid d-men .the only ones i would keep is subban,georges,emlin,and thats about it this blown leads shit has to stop or next year won,t be any better than this year

66. HabsFan82 says:

Now for the good news. AK had a good night for Nashville. eat your heart out PG.

“I got no future
    I know my days are few
    The present’s not that pleasant
    Just a lot of things to do
    I thought the past would last me
    But the darkness got that too.

I used to love the rainbow
    I used to love the view
    I loved the early morning
    I’d pretend that it was new
    But I caught the darkness baby
    And I got it worse than you.”

(from Leonard Cohen’s Old Ideas)

68. EricInStL says:

So I guess Chelsea saw what Toronto did with their coach and decided if it’s good for Burke it’s good for Abramovich. AVB was only in for 8 months and out he goes….

69. Adidess says:

I’m with you, Mattyleg. Some seem to believe having a fighter makes your team better (ok, say tougher) than it actually is. Boloney.
    Detroit doesn’t fight, they’re one of the better/tougher teams. And win their share of games.

That ‘fighting creates momentum boost and propels teams to victory’ is the most ridiculous myths in hockey. The fight last night was a draw, but I bet you somebody is TO is convinced this morning their team got a push and won because of that fight.
    If we had won the game, some Habs fans would say it’s bc we held our own in the fight. In fact, there might be some who think we lost bc we didn’t win the fight.

See how this works. You win the fight and lose the game, team fails to keep momentum from the fight. Lose the fight and win the game, we showed we weren’t afraid, even though we lost the fight, it helps our team. That fighting is useless is never the conclusion.

• ProHabs says:

Wrong. The whole point of the fight is because there are dummies like Brown in the league (and Shawn Thornton) who go into a game wanting to fight someone. So they look for someone to fight. The Habs had no one so those players would spend all game going after Subban or PRice and trying to hurt them.

So when Stuabitz fights Brown, it takes Brown off the ice, it gets Browns fight out of his system and then Subban doesn’t have to spend the whole game worrying about getting decapitated.

Even Chris NIlan (who knows alot more about playing in the NHL then Mattileg and BOone) said that by having a fighter in the lineup, your skill guys can just concentrate on using their skill and playing hockey then defending themselves.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Agree. I don’t like it, but it seems necessary.

• Adidess says:

So which one is necessary? The fighting itself or allowing the behaviour you described that compels a team to dress fighters for a hockey game?

I am a sports fan, who loves hockey. The idea that a game where you gotta score goals to win, is really dependent on which team is better at fisticuffs is totally bunk. I mean, if your fighter wins his fight and your team wins the game, there must be a connection, right?

Most people who support fighting now seem to want to say, I don’t like it but we can’t turn the other cheek. Well, do you believe in fighting in hockey and do you support it?

• ProHabs says:

The NHL was suppose to move away from illegal play in hockey and call a game by the rules, whether it was the first minute of a game or the last minute of a tie game. The way the league called games involving the Boston Bruins last year killed that. When a pig like Marchand can punch one of the best player in the league (Sedin) in the face 5 times in the Stanley Cup final and nothing gets called, then it is open season on all players. Marchand’s response “I did it because I could” says it all.

70. remi_10069 says:

Is Weber the worst defenseman in the NHL? When will this organization realize that he’s never going to make it. Makes Diaz and Campoli look like Norris candidates.

PK is playing extremely well lately, glad they didn’t give up on him.

pipes

71. Steeltown Hab says:

A few notes.

-First time I’ve come out of coach’s corner liking Don Cherry in a long time. Good for him actually calling out Burke, even tho I’m not his biggest fan you don’t try and get Don Cherry fired only Burke would be that dumb/arrogant

-Eller better get his playing time next yr, he makes positives plays on the ice with anyone.

-They better find some kind of replacement for AK still so bitter over that, glad he scored ln for Nashville. We clearly lack scoring wingers

-Give Weber a fair shot, he looked good last night. Why Diaz has got the assumed spot in the lineup over Weber all yr and even Emelin at the start of the year blows my mind.

Okay Diaz is a better passer and maybe a little bit better of a skater, but Weber is WAY more physical and has a better shot

-I feel bad for Plekanec as he’s played with weak linemates lately but he couldn’t find chemistry with anyone this yr. Mtl dropped the ball not signing Jagr this yr

-As for UFAs, weak crop this yr. MTL should consider looking at Barret Jackman, Tootoo, and Brad Boyes if they can get him cheap as a potential AK replacement.

-Draft Filip Forsberg or if we’re lucky to win the lottery Nail one of these two would look great playing with Eller for a long time

Thats my rant !

• Old Bald Bird says:

The thing with Pleks is that it used to be that Pleks made his linemates better. Now, we are looking for linemates to help him out. While I agree that he’s had a tough draw, I think he’s put out that his role has been curtailed. However, since Gomer is getting more PP time, I can’t say that I entirely blame him.

72. LA Loyalist says:

I saw an excellent hockey game from the 9th row last night, only it wasn’t Leafs > Habs.

It was Kings > Ducks and Kings, who edged out a 4-2 win with an empty netter.

Jeff Carter scored two goals, the guys has a release you can’t believe, the shot is just gone. If he steadily plays like last night LA will have won that trade.

Penner is useless, some guy behind me kept yelling “Hey Penner, wanna pancake.” It was pretty funny.

And for those of you who still have an interest in Koivu, he played over 18 minutes, the Coach uses him on PP, PK, last minute of periods, any critical situation. He and Selanne both had chances to tie the game but Quick was just a shade in better position than Hiller.

The one play that sticks with me was a mistake by Vishnovsky, the young Ducks D, who along with Fowler, is really interesting. Vishnovsky messed up a rush, the King’s player was about to get around him into the Ducks zone, but Vishnovsky twisted, spun, and skated his ass off with 3 or 4 different moves to recover and finally check the guy to offset his own error.

My point is he NEVER gave up on the play until it was resolved.

How many of OUR millionaires play like that?

How come you kept yelling “Hey Penner, wanna pancake” His wonderful Pancake making wife just filed papers on their relationship.

• Habfan10912 says:

Bang on LA. I ‘ve done a lot of channel flipping the past few weeks and one thing that I’ve noticed, other teams have much superior talent to the Habs. I might be exaggerating a bit but it almost seems like the Habs are a minor league team and their play shows. I know the club has a lot of injured players but I am afraid that this isn’t a easy fix as I once had hoped.

73. Cape Breton says:

Mr. Boone, the leafs can drop off the planet and I and many others across the nation would be the happiest people in this hockey-mad country. The less of “Canada’s Team” I see in April, the better.

74. Mr_MacDougall says:

@ Habsinburlington

I think Cherry’s point is valid, his presentation is a little nuts. I live in PEI and our QMJL team rarely has any Island born players (One currently). They pass on quality Island players in the draft and get very little support from local fans (averaging aprrox. 1500 fans per game). Exact same situation for our AUAA team the UPEI Panthers (who to their credit made some changes last off season).

It is simple marketing, people will support their own. An example is the Summerside Western Capitals, PEI’s only Junior A team, has consistently out-drawn the PEI Rocket for the past 5 season. The Caps are full of Island players and get great support from the community, approx. 2,500 per game while playing a much lower level of hockey.

Obviously the Leafs do not have attendance issues, but here on the Island, The Rocket, who are a last place club, would benefit from having 5-10 Island born players on the team. Same with the UPEI Panthers, who recently (last summer) recruited 8 players from the Island, and had great crowds this season after years of being insignificant.

In closing, having local talent for sports fans to cheer is imperative in smaller markets where there is room to grow in attendance. In Toronto, however, they currently sell out every game and it really makes no difference on their bottom line.

Your point is very true especially in the examples you cited. As it pertains to the Leafs, however, there still remains some similarities. Ex. Buddy of mine lives in Brampton, takes his kids to many Brampton Battalian games. Two of their favourite players over the years have been Wojtk Wolski and Cody Hodgson. His kids currently identify with the stars from the Battalian and Stars Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. Obviously getting either Ovi or Crosby isn’t happening any time soon. But acquire one of those other 2 kids and suddenly many kids in Brampton area begin associating with the Leaf Team. Seriously, there is a generation of kids growing up in the GTA whom no longer feel the Leafs are relevant. They are fans of individual stars on other teams and moreso other teams in general.

Eventually this crop of kids will be executives buying tix to games. Wouldn’t hurt the leafs if they were Leaf fans.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You mean all the kids in Toronto don’t fight over “who gets to be Dion Phaneuf” in ball hockey? or Tim Connoly?

Also, my father and I have been discussing Burke’s moves toward American players/coaches/scouts since he joined the Leafs. Currently 6 American players, all brought in by Burke, all the assistant coaches cam from NCAA, and If I remember correctly his scouts are highly focused on the NCAA.

75. adamkennelly says:

in case anyone was wondering why our Habs are in last place..look no further than periods 2 and 3 from last last…great 1st – great forecheck, energy and effort and then back to being completely inept on D – resulting in no offensive push and only a matter of time till the Leafs score…so many crap players on this team its ridiculous.