About last night …

EmelinLeafs

The game in Toronto Saturday night was the Canadiens season in microcosm.

So perhaps we should be encouraged by the happy ending.

The first period corresponded to the Canadiens’ 9-0 start.

Total domination of the Leafs. Shots were 14-3, shot attempts 28-11. Toronto didn’t get its first shot on Mike Condon until 11:27 into the game.

And, in contrast to most of their recent outings, the Canadiens’ advantage was reflected on the scoreboard, as goals by David Desharnais and Tomas Fleischmann made it 2-0 after 20.

The Canadiens looked terrific, dominating every aspect of the game.

Granted, the home team wasn’t the Chicago Blackhawks. But it was an emotional night at the ACC, with a touching pre-game ceremony honouring Leaf greats Turk Broda, Tim Horton and Dave Keon.

All that glory floating through the ether, and the home team sucked for 20 minutes

For Canadiens fans, happy days were here again. The team had responded to their general manager’s challenge, rising nobly to the task of saving their coach’s job.

But games last longer than 20 minutes.

But the Canadiens didn’t fold.

Why would they, playing against a Toronto team that’s going nowhere?

Then those snakes nipping at the Canadiens since the beginning of December reared their fangs again.

Shots by Daniel Carr and Brendan Gallagher somehow failed to cross the goalie behind James Reimer. And Joffrey Lupul took advantage of soft coverage to tie it at 2-2 early in the third period.

For anyone who has followed the Canadiens recent swoon, it was deja vu all over again.

No puck luck on the Carr and Gallagher shots. And the question after 60 minutes was: “Which Leaf will break our hearts and plunge Montreal ever deeper into depression?”

I was sure it would be P.A. Parenteau.

That a collapse didn’t happen – and that Lars Eller, one of the team’s few recent bright lights, won the game in a Shootout – may have been a sign that perhaps the Canadiens have turned the corner.

“We’ve been on the wrong side of the tiny little differences deciding the outcome of games,” Eller said in the winning room. “I just think tonight was a big-time win for us, a tight game where we’re finally on the right side of things.”

Eller had company on the Heroes Podium:

• Jeff Petry played a solid 24:17 – second only to P.K.’s otherworldly 31:55. Perry had eight hits, tying the Leafs Leo Komarov.

• Mark Barberio and Nathan Beaulieu are evolving into a nice pairing.

• Mike Condon faced only 19 shots through 65 minutes. But he made some good saves. And Condon’s four stops in the Shootout were huge.

• Daniel Carr played another terrific game on Eller’s line. For the life of me I can’t figure out why Carr was sent down to St. John’s in favour of Jacob De la Rose.

There are still troubling signs.

• The “first” line – Tomas Plekanec between Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher – exerted nothing in the way of sustained pressure.

• The second line was no better. I’m still waiting for some chemistry – or physics, biology … anything – between Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnais. Props to #27 for taking a big hit from Dion Phaneuf.

• The first power play had six shots on goal. They next three had a grand total of one shot.

• I love Dale Weise, but 3:27 of PP ice time? Really?

• Brian Flynn in the Shootout?

• Andrei Markov’s ToI was cut back to 21:50. Still too much. But at least he wasn’t used in OT.

Elsewhere, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Boston won Saturday.

The Canadiens trail them and sit in 10th place, three points south of the last wild-card playoff spot.

The Canadiens have 52 points. Last season, Boston took the second wild-card spot with 96 points.

Can Mar Bergen’s stand-pat (for now) team get 44 points in their last 34 games?

Like the win in Toronto, it won’t be easy.

But Saturday night was a start.

•  •  •

Tweet from Arpon Basu of nil.com:

Alex Galchenyuk set a new season high in ice time for a second straight game. It was 18:19 v Bos, 19:27 tonight. Inching toward 20.

Comment on the Liveblog from bwoar:

Not very convincing tonight. Excellent to see Eller playing well at centre. One day MT will realize what position he plays. And figure out the actual pecking order of our centremen. But a shootout win will suffice for those who are clinging for dear life on the idea of a playoff round.

Speaking of playing guys where they belong, Beaulieu on the 3rd pair looked much better. P.K. Subban is not a good partner for him, to be honest.

The Fleischmann-Eller-Carr combo looked like a 2nd line to me. Daniel Carr looks better in the top 6 than DD and Weise. I wish we could trade #51 for that David Desharnais guy who so tenaciously broke in with the team with boundless energy and a fight to his game. He’s aged very quickly, probably from playing double the minutes he can handle.

Speaking of aging, at least we were spared Markov during 3-on-3.

Y’know, watching N8 on TVA after the 1st, you’d almost get the impression the team really was just in a funk all this time, and coming out now. “Message recieved,” he said. Then they spend 40 minutes letting the Leafs back in the game. Witnessing that runny fart of a powerplay fail so badly is still in my mind, enough to fire pretty much everyone running this team.

It was good to see the players’ reaction to the outcome. Strategy-wise it looks like they’re on their own, so let us hope they can scheme up a PP that will help them win the next one cleanly.

And from DDO_Habs_Fan:

I put gasoline in the tank after the Leafs tied. Thankfully they pulled one out against an awful defensive team (I mean awful). Looks like MT is slowly learning some lessons: no Markov 3 on 3 and Eller back at center. Eller didn’t need to score in OT to be the number one star tonight. It is nice to see a big guy down the middle. His puck-handling down the middle of the ice has always been over-rated. Carr came back to doing what he was doing before he inexplicably got sent down. Loved how steady Barberio played again tonight. He’s made Gilbert expendable. DSP played 7:43 minutes tonight: that’s 7:43 minutes more than he should have played. Toronto’s 4th line played like a 4th line is supposed to play. They hammered the Habs and changed the momentum in the second. DSP needs to go (I don’t know where but just go). Lastly, the PP is going to get a coach or all of them fired. There is nothing more negative that can be said about it. Hopefully they can build some momentum with this win.

1. Lapointe says:

I am an old school hockey guy. Don’t think too much about technical stats unless they rally jump out there. The standings are important to me to judge my team on their potential for winning the big games. Possession stats while they do tell and make points to consider….well you can see where this leads.

Now the Habs did shoot out of the gate it is true and in a relative sense they have down well out of the gate with MT version 2 but the game is a system and one team can be tooled for specific game play and other teams can be victimized by fast teams which is one of the main ingredients of our Habs…or was starting out the season. Now I suspect other coaches watch our fast team out of the gate and try and counter them by adjusting a certain way to neutralize this speed. Isn’t that what happens all the time in the NHL or any sport. A perfect example is when teams meet in the playoffs and haven’t met often in the year…we hear how the coaching staff will have to contain this or that…stop this player or that player. CP has not had much luck in the playoffs ( I know you don’t remember that happening but you will remember the rough treatment he often gets and that he hasn’t been able to finish many playoff rounds recently ) That probably is a coach saying get in on him and crash the net….you know the old saying if he can see it he wills top it……well that is what has happened to our fast start…it has been effectively stalled because the other coaching staffs have found the formula to neutralize it. MT on the other hand is thinking they are getting bad bounces. They need to change their system but they won’t this year by much anyhow. I am just curious why some other top guys in the organization can’t find a way to adjust them some how..you know subtle type efforts like hypnotism of MT….don’t use Markov in OT…stop putting DD out there on the power play so much…little things can add up and help this team…..of course I am waiting for the big axe to fall in off season nd hopefully MB get his head under it also……then he can be the bum that he look like.

When MB hired people like Dudley, Lapointe, Mellanby, Churla, Ramage etc.. to fill out the different departments I was fully expecting to see this team add some ruggedness to their game. But nothing of the sort has occurred. I completely agree on your analysis, and also wonder why nothing different is tried.

I am getting more of the opinion that MT does what MT wants regardless of who else are employed by this organization.

2. rabidhab says:

Watched some of the Edm-Nashville game last night. I was not impressed with Kassian . Big body but just no skill. when the game was in the bag for the Preds , he turn into a goon . His playing days are soon going to be over , unless he grows up real soon. What a waste. This guy would have been a headache for the Habs.

3. CHicoHab says:

Last night was out at a bar with friends. No voice on the game. Very loud. And in conversation kept missing certain plays of the game. After leafs scored second goal they showed replay of offside. What was said about that by the commentators and or was worthy of a challenge?

4. Phil C says:

“Like two drunks fighting”, “a runny fart of a PP”, the Leafs sucking “despite all that glory floating through the ether”, folksy wisdom from Big Momma, we have some creativity here this morning.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

In reference to Dipsy’s reluctance to tank post, I hope Marc Bergevin folds his hand and waits for the next deal. See what kind of assets he can amass by trading away vets as rentals.

I don’t dislike players like Brian Flynn or Tom Gilbert, I don’t want to ‘get rid’ of them, but if they’re attractive for teams looking to load up at the deadline, then by all means, let them go.

Torrey Mitchell is signed for two more years, so he might not necessarily work as a rental, and again I like the guy, but I have to wonder if Gabriel ‘Pitbull’ Dumont wouldn’t be able to give us the same kind of play. Right-handed shot, can play centre or wing, has some snarl, isn’t malhotrabad on offence. Maybe it’s not an either-or situation, maybe we can use both, Gabriel gets called up after the deadline as a swing-depth forward.

Tomas Fleischmann, Mark Barberio, Paul Byron, any expiring UFA contract, if they net a draft pick, they’re for sale. Come one come all to Marc’s Ka-Razy Rental Sale. Damaged, floor-model RFA’s on hand too, ready to go. We have a like-new Devo demo, barely used, still not broken in, can be had for a song.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

• piper says:

thought Dumont could have been used last year instead of Mitchell and Flynn. He would have added much needed grit to the lineup.

• trade_centre says:

Obviously if we are still without Price in mid-February, or completely out of contention, we should do what you suggest.

However if Price returns and is healthy, and we start winning again, then I would guess we might be the ones trading for a rental.

The reason is that the Price/Subban window is 5-6 years tops. You have to go for it every year.

• piper says:

This lineup needs a lot of changes. Price alone might get you there and maybe win a round but thats it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I understand the window concept, but this is a team that needs more than just a patch job, some spackle here and there. We can’t sink more and more 2nd and fourth-rounders every season to try to shore up a team that’s not up to snuff, in reality.

The Canucks were much closer to the Cup on paper than we are now, and they blew through a lot of draft picks acquiring Derek Roy and the like, and look where it got them. They had a completely barren system, no young players ready to graduate.

I want to shore up our system, so that guys graduate to fill the holes on our roster.

• JohnInTruro says:

I like what you’re putting down Norm but I would like to ink Barberior for 3 years. I like what I see from him. Dumont is old enough now that he deserves a shot and I think can play responsible 4th line minutes. He, like all of them, is small but as you say he is a pitbull and plays a tough game.

• Un Canadien errant says:

At a reasonable cost, sure, I’m on board for Mark Barberio, but if we can sell high, I would. It’s not like he has a skillset we don’t have already, that we can’t spare, like Jarred Tinordi…

• trade_centre says:

BTW, you missed it, but I was your next door neighbor in Montreal. (At any rate, your girlfriend’s). Maybe we sat next to each other at the Café Social Club.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If they thought Dumont could play in the NHL, they would not have signed a 4th liner to 3 years. It looks like Dumont is going to be a career AHLer. At least Mitchell is a local boy; speaking of that I would not move another local boy Barberio, who is playing well.

This coach just relies too much on veterans so I think MB has to start looking at moving them. Gilbert is an obvious move. The key guy they have to come up with a plan for during the All-Star break is Markov. They need to assess whether his drop in play has been from overuse or a natural degradation with age (none of us can possibly know this answer). Right now the perception is that he has been overused so he still has value. If the Habs fall too far out of a playoff spot, this will allow a window to deal him. MB has some really tough decisions to make over the next month if he becomes serious about changing this team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree about Torrey and Mark Barberio, I certainly prize the local angle, if anything I want more homeboys on the team. If we could sell high on them though, I wouldn’t say no.

I want more guys like Dale Weise too, who think it’s a privilege to play for the Canadiens. But if a team will give us a 2nd + for him, I’d let him go for that.

I’m worried about Andrei too, it’s lasting more than just a blip, a few more bad games, but I’m confident he’ll snap out of his funk, and give us value the rest of his contract. If a team did approach us with an offer we couldn’t refuse though, I’d ask him if he wanted to waive his NTC.

6. Danno says:

Who the heck is Mar Bergen?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Great to see that Tiny played 15 minutes against the Kings last night (I guess he really did suck LOL). Where are the posters who were disparaging him by pointing out “he was already scratched”? As if he was going to step in and play 20min/game for a new team even though he has played in THREE NHL games this year. Anyway, I am glad for him to be getting his opportunity now.

I was wondering what MB could possibly have meant by his statement that he had to trade him and we would understand if we knew everything. The only thing I could think of is that Tiny refused to ever report again to St. John’s. Since they had 9 D with Barberio now, that meant Tiny had to move (in their view). So he traded Tiny for a D-man with NHL experience that would play in the AHL and could play if called up. I still think MB completely botched up Tinrodi’s dossier but maybe this explains why they had to move him so hastily. Just musing…

8. adamkennelly says:

I confess – I watched almost all of the game – some of it not that attentively.

this team is f-ng bad.

that TO line-up is a small step up from AHL and Habs had trouble with them..

9. nbsjfan says:

Last night’s game was like watching two old drunk guys try to fight. Maybe one day they could fight but those days are long past and all that’s left to do is laugh.

10. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Things Fall Apart and the Centre Cannot Hold (unless it is Nazem Kadri …

Krob, myself and few others have posted until we are blue in the face that Lars Eller is not an NHL winger, he just can’t play it. Despite wishing by management and fans, he just can’t do it and the reason is pretty obvious to me.

He grew up in the hockey mad country of Denmark, no doubt the big fish in a small pond from a very early age. His Dad is high up (coach/asst coach) of the National team. Lars is tall, big, fast, skilled, the best player in his area for miles. If that is your development resume in hockey, you are “bred” to play centre, to always have the puck, to be the guy to when the game is on the line. You are the Toews of your country.

Lars is drafted 13th overall after playing with men in Sweden (including his arch rival Karlsson) and comes to Montreal as a Centre. Raw, over handling, skating round and round to be sure but a centre. Through the course of his development, he is “sheltered” as the number 3 centre and then inexplicably tried as a winger. Why? because as short as the Habs have been at the “centre” position, they are arguably thinner at the wing when it comes to a Kovalev talent. So he is shunted to play with the declining Gomez, the worst possible place. Two guys who want the puck and want to skate round and round.

Meanwhile when he finally figures it out, he gets headshotted by the goon from Saskatoon and realistically loses a year.

After bouncing back again, his reward is to be forever dangled as trade bait while playing the hard minutes, but reprieved at the deadline only to start this year as a winger. Now he is trying hard NOT to be the guy on the puck but it is not his game. He plays the good soldier and tries to convince himself he can play the wing, but it is a paint by numbers performance, like he is constantly reading a book on how to play each shift instead of being in the moment. The result, poor outcomes and the B….S…. “Low Hockey IQ” subjective tag that is tossed about as intelligence by people that want to sound smart but achieve the opposite.

Just when all seems cast in stone, the third act dawns and he is back at centre, allowed to be on the puck all the time, driving the play in the offensive zone, backing off the wingers, and feeding the trailing winger.

If MB lets him have Carr (who plays the Gallagher game) and MT stops jerking him around, things won’t fall apart.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Lapointe says:

2 minutesforlookingsogood………………I must say an interesting post on Eller. Different slant but kind of makes some sense also. Eller sure has tools and he ought to be a better producer given his size and skating ability. He sometimes is dominating and most nights he plays hard. I actually like him and hop he someday h gets a chance to be utilized better.

• piper says:

best player on the ice last night. it’s not saying a lot but he was.

• krob1000 says:

At first I was not huge fan of Eller….I was just on here defending him….so it forced me to watch him closer and since I have become a huge fan and believe he is teams most underutilized asset…when on his game he is utterly dominant…and this is with third liners….what would happen when was on his game with first liners? Why is this the only question that never gets answered?

• Phil C says:

Good post, I wonder if they just let him be the alpha dog, what would happen?

Good post, he was indeed the best Hab on the ice last night.

• Coach K says:

I’ve been saying for years that the biggest problem with this organization is their development of young talent so clearly, I approve of this post.

Sadly, we still see the same issues continuing with Galchenyuk, Tinordi and now Carr and Andrighetto.

The question is, how long will Bergevin remain blind to the fact that this has not been adequately addressed?

• FormalWare says:

Possibly the most insightful post I’ve seen on here, on the topic of the Great Dane. Thanks so much for this.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

11. rhino514 says:

Can you believe the pressure on Pacioretty, the way the team is going and the way that game unfolded, to score on the last attempt?
    Eller was the first star but IMO Max rescued victory from the jaws of defeat. Max has also kept scoring recently when just about no one else has.
    Do not want to keep hearing that Max isn´t a money player.

+67

• Coach K says:

Sorry rhino, but Paciorrety is last guy I’m considering a “money player”.

The only other time you notice him is either when somebody else does all the work to make him look good or he screws up by turning over the puck or letting his check go like he did on the Leafs first goal.

To be perfectly honest, the first time I heard his name all night was in the shootout when technically, the game was over.

Had he been “captain clutch” he would have been working his butt off all game to make sure a shootout wasn’t necessary.

12. rhino514 says:

Much is made of the habs current inability to score but I really think they have the tools to be an above average scoring team; they were the top scoring team in the league for almost two months. It is plain to see that what is happening is mostly psychological.
    You can see things like Weise making the beautiful pass last night, Carr going to the net to cause havoc every chance he gets, Fleischmann with the goal, Eller much more visible at centre, etc… One sees that the habs have added players who aren´t genuine top six, but are bonafide top nine forwards; I believe the aforementioned guys can also do well in the playoffs, which is huge.
    I really believe if they had Price, they would play with much more confidence and the offence would be doing fine. The acquisition of a top winger at the deadline would be more icing on the cake in my view, but a move they should only make if they are in a playoff position at the deadline or within 3 or 4 points.

13. Un Canadien errant says:

Do I dare read this? What’s the over/under on number of times the word ‘character’ is used? Five?

This is actually a very good read. Something for everyone. Michel Therrien even comes in for a bit of scrutiny, a novel approach in these parts.

———————————————————————–

• krob1000 says:

the shooting percentage dropped? really…I wonder why? couldn’t have to do with elevated role of DD,Weise, SP, Flynn,etc, Semin going and Ghetto/Carr demoted when they score could it? what about playing mind games with 2 of teams most important players in Eller/Chucky and playing them out of position. I know demote Markov….let Patch do what he wants (or doesn’t want),Then there is the pp, let’s not forget the now super conservative d….of course the shooting percentages have gone down….

• on2ndthought says:

pretty good analysis; the word is: percentages

“a cannonading drive”

• krob1000 says:

if I play DD in top role and on pp can I really be surprised by the percentages though?

• Un Canadien errant says:

krob, your obsessions sometimes come across as unhealthy. The morning after David Desharnais scored a goal on the powerplay, and hit the post on another.

Anyway, I’m off to write a more comprehensive, exhaustive post on Milan Lucic and Gary Bettman.

• krob1000 says:

my obsession or the coaches….my obsession will last exactly as long as his…guess I am a dependent

Keep obsessing (if this is what the kids call it today) krob, because you are bang on from where I see it.

• Coach K says:

Percentages may be the stats guys favourite word but it still comes down to the coach and his deployment of the troops he has available to him. If he won’t or worse, can’t adjust his system to suit the talent he has then he’s not doing his job. Period.

14. The Swiftian Age says:

I wasn’t convinced by that performance last night. Why? The inability to keep up that first period pace, Condon’s shakiness, and MT’s line selections. Pleks has to get off that first line and be replaced with
    Chucky. The Eller line could remain intact but
    Lilliput for the Lilliputians!

Mark Barberio must now clear waivers. That means Montreal will go with 8 Dmen / 13 forwards until the trade deadline.

149/84/27

16. Habnormal says:

The only way you can get a top 6 forward with significant quality in a trade is to send Galychenyuk or Gallagher or Patches the other way. Why would a team want to give you something significant for Weisse or DD? As much as I like Pleks he becomes that little girl in the playoffs. That, coupled with his salary will not lead to teams jumping to take him even at the trade deadline for something significant in return. A second rounder that’s it. So keep Pleks because there are no better options right now. Contrast that with Eller who seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. That might get a half decent return but leaves a gaping hole for next year. In short, this team will not get better with trades. I agree wholeheartedly that they must develop Carr and others and hope one of them becomes Gallagher with top 6 minutes. My cnncrrn is that once Markov and Pleks contracts are off the books they will simply be consumed by raises to Galychenyuk and Price and Patches and Bealieau without adding quality. As some others have said, the window is closing quickly.

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

Strummer,
    Only just saw your post from last night about Clune. Thanks.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

BREAKING: It was someone else’s fault, not Milan’s.

[EDIT] Should have gone straight to Puck Daddy.

———————————————————————–

19. Dunboyne Mike says:

Juste moi — was UCE’s answer correct?
    24 — where’s the best place to get grandchild Habs jammies?

• 24 Cups says:

I bought mine online from the Hab store. You’ll get free delivery if you spend a certain amount and it’s in CAD dollars. Decent quality, too.

Just remember one thing – kids sizes DON’T really go by the listed numbers. As an example, size 6 months fits a 3 month old. I don’t know why the hell they do it this way but it hasn’t changed since I had my first child decades ago.

Stock up on future sizes and you’ll make your order worthwhile.

149/84/27

• JUST ME says:

Yes monsieur Mike he was. Peter Budaj is burning the AHL and is a perfect example that with hard work and dedication if things don t look good today, tomorrow may just be the day !

20. crane says:

PATCHES PLECK ?????
    ???? Galch Gally
    Fleich Eller Carr
    Bryon Mitchell Wiese

Flynn,D.D.,DSP, DLR spare parts and trade bait.So we need a LW and RW top six

Barbario P.K.
    Emelin Petry
    Beaulieu Pateryn

Gilbert and Markov spares or trade bait

• 24 Cups says:

?????
      ?????

That pretty well sums up what has been wrong all season (in fact, for a few years now). Montreal doesn’t have much luck when it comes to bargain basement shopping.

149/84/27

• boing007 says:

PATCHES PLECK Hudon ?????
      Ghetto ???? Galch Gally
      Fleisch Eller Carr
      Byron Mitchell Weise

Richard R

• Hobie says:

Exactly the situation with the Habs right now. Ideally Pleks would be subtracted along with Desharnais and we’d have a #1 center along with the two wingers you excluded.

• Arrow77 says:

It baffles me that the team just won’t try Carr as a top-6 forward. I’m not saying he’s necessarily going to be amazing but he deserves at least a try before we trade for someone. Plus, if we admit to ourselves that we won’t win the cup this year, developing a player becomes an option. That would leave us with only one top-6 forward to get.

As for your trade baits, your selection is good but all those players would have had better values if they had been traded while the team was winning, which is something a good GM knows.

You would still need something else for a top 6 though.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree about development. Would like to see both Carr and Galchenyuk given the keys of the car.

Not sure about trading core players when you’re winning. No one wants to upset whatever mix of chemistry, momentum, luck, health and intercessions to the Madonna is getting you the Ws.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think MT is trying to balance the lines size-wise. That being said it is baffling that a guy who is scoring only got 10 minutes on a team that can’t score. In addition, the bigger issue is that he should be on the PP instead of Weise. I can understand Weise playing with Chucky and DD on the same line for physicality purpose but Weise should not be on a PP where offense is paramount.

• crane says:

If we manage to keep a wild card spot,we should have cap space for two top players easy at trade deadline.I think read somewhere going be around 10 million at trade deadline.

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

You forgot the word “scoring”.

“You never went out and got us a proper SCORING goaltender to replace Price.”

And to replace all the AWOL scoring of our Top6.

It might have been a bit embarrassing — listening to l’Antichambre, Cherry and the boys, Bruins fans etc — but a Price clone both stopping goals and scoring them would have been awesome. I hope MB realises that.

President’s Cup, dance through the dance, St Catherine’s St.

22. JonnyA777 says:

It was nice to see that Condon (like everyone else in hockey) knew that PA was going glove. How many times have we all seen that? That would have stung.

Guess I should have read some posts. Sorry for the repeat.

What is interesting is that PAP is usually deadly on the shootout, and in the last few shootouts for the Leafs he actually tried deking the goalies unsuccessfully, to me it was obvious he was going to go back to his money shot. Have to believe someone on the Habs bench told Condon to expect glove high and PAP just didn’t get his shot as high as he wanted. Good play by Condon.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, the dilemma these guys face: go with the stuff that’s worked for you in the past, or surprise the goalie with a different but lesser move of yours.

David Desharnais scored two or three times in a row on his patented fake a shot by fanning over the puck to freeze the goalie, then deke him out and slide the puck between his pads. But now the goalies have cottoned on to him, and he’s doing different stuff. He’s tried the fan move a couple more times, but it looked half-hearted, like he knew they knew, and it wouldn’t work, and sure enough it doesn’t.

Mornin’ folks, what a thoroughly enjoyable night at the ACC. What the heck do I know, I fully expected an amped up Leaf team to be all over the Habs in the first 10 mins, little did I know it would be the Habs all over the Leafs. Especially after that 45 second welcome home ovation for Keon. (Okay maybe a bit longer, but I certainly felt he was worthy of a much bigger ovation)

Eventually the Leafs did get themselves back in the game, and I was really get worried that our lack of finish in the 2nd and 3rd period was going to haunt us.

When PAP came out for the shootout i told all the Leaf fans in the box with me that I would take all betters that PAP was going glove and that Condon’s glove is likely his strongest side. KaChing!

Max scoring that goal was clutch the 60% part of the barn in blue and white thought they had snuck out the game, but as my friend said to me, here comes your Captain to save the day. And Max did that, great shot by him and Lars with the Dagger. Really enjoyable night.

Kudos to DD for getting that first goal and a nice setup by Lars for “I Can’t believe it’s not Butter” Fleischmann.

Really nice big Habs turnout at the arena last night.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nice call on P.A. I thought we were cooked when he took his turn.

Was the barn as quiet during the first period as the TV broadcast made it seem? It sounded as if Jim Hughson could have used his golf commentator voice to call the game and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

The highlight of the first period was the sarcastic cheering of the crowd for the Leafs first shot of the period, a weak dribbler from center ice, only to then see the shot clock go back to 0 from 1 after it was determined not to be a shot on net.

Sportsnet does a terrible job getting the arena noise into their broadcasts.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I wondered what was happening when I heard that murmur in the crowd, thought they’d seen a penalty or injury behind the play.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s strange. Here in Ireland, listening to a live stream, what was audible was clearly ironic laughter.

(I actually don’t like an Original 6 team being such a complete and utter joke, such a model of fan-breaking, player-wasting sports capitalism.)

@Dunboyne, the pre game ceremony for Turk, Timmy and Keon was nice to see but again lacked that special feeling. The folks at MLSE seem adamant about using P.A. announcer and Psychedelic Psunday DJ Andy Frost for these events and they just seem to lack clarity and the passion that should be created with such a ceremony.

I stood and clapped for Keon, he is worthy of that and in fact i encouraged the Leaf fans around me to stand, that this was a big moment in Leaf history.

But a bigger and louder ovation would have been nice.

• Phil C says:

Funny, I was thinking the crowd didn’t truly appreciate the significance of bringing Keon back, giving hims a stall in the dressingroom, etc, but that maybe the broadcast was missing something. This could be a significant turning point in their organization’s culture. Typical of leafs fans to not even notice.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Glad you had a good time. For much of the game, mostly until the last ten minutes, I was thinking how boring hockey can be. I guess being there with comrades helps as opposed to watching it in solitude on my little box, or maybe I was just in a mood.

If I’m being truthful I didn’t watch the game like I would at home, was in a box so met some new folks and enjoyed peoples company, the food and the drink and took in the game. But my Price jersey remains unbeaten in the ACC, that is the biggest takeaway.

• Phil C says:

It’s not just you. Even the commentators made a wry comment at one point in the third, something to the effect of “and a rare burst of end-to-end action from these two teams.” It’s not as bad as NFL football, but hockey sometimes is over-coached.

24. Habnormal says:

About as good as the chances of DD being given less ice time

25. Strummer says:

For all the hype about 4K last night- it isn’t all THAT!

“the jump in picture quality from HD to 4K is nowhere near the same as the eye-popping leap from SD to HD. ”

“As for the actual viewing experience, it is a sharper image, perhaps about 25 per cent sharper than HD. It is more noticeable on larger TVs, but for the longer tracking shots that show most of the game action, it really doesn’t add very much. It is much better with tight, close-up spots, like those that focus on faces.”

26. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos!
    A win is a win. It’s a start.
    Carr is a keeper. Is Markov slower that Crankshaft?
    Condon is great one on one, but still needs work handling the puck.
    Go Pats and Go Cards!
    Saludos.

27. Danno says:

Is JJ still PP coach?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

28. Phil C says:

So it seems pretty obvious to me that Eller has been one of the best players on the team the last little while. And DD has been almost useless (and I like DD compared to some posters.) So what are the chances Eller will be rewarded with better linemates and icetime?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll ask again, nonchalantly, because I’m not trying to start nothin’, just mindin’ my own bidness here, but was Lars sulking all this time, since the start of the season?

• krob1000 says:

no..he was for the sake of DD put on wing …he is teams best all around center IMO…..but as a winger is ineffective other than when he gets covering of guys and acting like a center

his treatment over years along with Chucky and constantly hearing team is looking (but not really) for a big center has to be depressing

• Un Canadien errant says:

krob, the proof will be in the pudding, I’ll be eager to see this streak last. What’s encouraging for me is that last night he didn’t go on stickhandling odysseys, take the puck away from the net looking for space, he was going to the net, and taking shots. He’s been inconsistent that way this year, I’d praise him when I’d see him do it, but then he wouldn’t, and I had to not praise him but bury him.

Reminds me of the Magic Johnson line about Vlade Divac, how he was a quick learner, but also a quick forgetter. Lars often reverts to his bad habits, but in fairness, we all do that.

It’s a process. I’m hoping that Lars is displaying new habits more and more, letting go of old ones progressively.

• krob1000 says:

no …what always happens is he goes on these stretches and gets zero reward for it…. it is an utter disgrace that he has NEVER been played as a top 6 center…..DD is every bit as inconsistent…..and Lars trumps in every category…..except heritage

• Old Bald Bird says:

krob I keep thinking that Lars with the right wingers could be very good on a top line. How about Patch-Eller-Chucky? Patch the shooter. Chucky play maker and shooter. Eller the worker and puck possession guy. Could work, but it would never be tried. Not every top 6 guy has be be an incredible playmaker. It’s about finding the combination, and I think that could be a very good one.

• Phil C says:

It’s fair question, (stirring the pot, or not).

I think many people, including this coach, underestimate the difficulty of playing out of your natural position, especially at the highest levels, where the advantages are minute. (Sure, there are versatile players that can do it, but not all players can do it.)

Playing wing is a lot about timing, providing forward support to your centre, but not too far ahead of the puck, or too slow that you can’t do anything with the puck if you get. You need good puck protection skills on the board; you have to know how to get the puck to the middle of the ice for a shot. If you’ve played there your entire life, you’ll recognize situations that you can exploit, where the defenseman is cheating too much one way, or is a bit flatfooted. Your brain unconsciously knows where to look for their teammates, you are acting on instinct, you are in the zone. As soon as you have to consciously think of what to do, you are no longer in the zone where optimum performance happens. And to me, Lars often looked like he was thinking too much on the wing, whereas at centre he seems much more instinctual, more in the zone.

As for inconsistency, it is not uncommon among younger players breaking into the league. Eller is entering the prime of his career, so perhaps he is starting to blossom and the coaching staff need to recognize that and give him the opportunity to do so.

29. Scottym314 says:

Very happy for the two points. We certainly needed to catch a break.
    Man, we need a number two centerman and a first line right wing. Hard to get obviously, or MB would have done it by now, but that is what is keeping us from being a true contender.
    DD needs to play the wing. PERIOD. Chucky needs to play center. PERIIOD. Live with his mistakes.

30. Cee_8ch says:

Good on Max and Condon for giving us the chance to win. Good on Lars for winning it.
    Question: Did we expend most of our energy in the 1st period OR did Babcock out coach Therrien in the 2nd and 3rd periods???

31. Cal says:

At least spell the name of the team right.

32. habstrinifan says:

Let’s hear it for Tinordi! 15 plus minutes!

Way to go Thinner( great nickname).

33. Phil C says:

Carr has to be leading the league in the lowest average distance from the goalline per goal.

34. The Teacher says:

Wow. So much negativity. All you so-called “fans” need to either stay off the bandwagon or actually be a fan and support your damn team.

This is part and parcel of why we have sucked for 20 years. Fans going nuts, team gets blown up and we restart again. MB finally looks like he will be the GM to not react to irrational fan base. Good for him.

I will just say Go Habs Go and if Price comes back healthy we will be in the Cup Final.

• Cal says:

Fans have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the team on the ice. The Habs have sucked for 20 years because of the team’s fans? Sure, and I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Incompetence at the managerial level has been the most important factor. But the pressure from an irrational fan base, and the decisions taken by GM’s in the face of such pressure, has certainly been a contributing factor.

• trade_centre says:

In particular the unwillingness to tank. Everyone thinks Florida is good because of Talon and Gallant. Four top three picks in 5 years. Elkblad, Gudbranson, Huberdeau, Barkov. 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd. While getting financially bailed out by Canadian fans.

• Danno says:

Anyone who is elated and hopeful following a tie game then grabbing the extra point in a skills contest from a bottom-dwelling team is not a fan but a dreamer.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Mavid says:

call me a dreamer then, I will take it as I have been called alot worse..I am not elated..but I am happy for a win finally..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m happy the team I cheer for won.

Danno, I’m as frustrated by this team as you are, but on a night when Canada’s Mainstream Media controlled team is hosting our Habs it is always a delight to break their hearts. My takeaway was not that this team is about to go on some incredible roll, but rather that the Habs found a way to beat a team with little talent but usually hard working in their barn on a Saturday night. Sometimes we just have to enjoy the small victories.

35. Rosieman says:

Any team w centre issues is screwed.

One poster said its that we haven’t out goaltended anyone – but we have very few finishers so maybe it’s we’re being outfinished? A few games can be hung on goalies but the listless goalless offence is the main factor. Worst in the league since December 1.

And it all comes down to having a small weak centres which can be fixed w Eller and Chucky in the middle w Pleks. DD can no longer be defended – he is getting killed out there possession wise. The league is fast now so his “advantage” is gone. Just like Volvo and safety – everyone caught up and has air bags.

Weise looks awful – more importantly he looks scared. Doesn’t engage physically etc.

This team would be transformed with DD out , weise 4th line , Flynn out, DSP out and

Replace w skill and speed of the likes of Byron andrighetto hudon

And ffs don’t ever send Carr down again. He’s a pitbull and scorer in – 25 goal pace!

36. Mick says:

MT put Chucky out for the first shot in the shoot out gimmick, but does not put him out on the first power play unit?
    blows the mind!
    MT is good in fox holes? MT loves little Davey and he will love his vets all the way to 10th spot this season.
    MT is a good guy and a good coach, but can we let somebody else make up the line combos, please.

• Phil C says:

He puts Flynn out 3 on 3, chooses him in the shoot out, but despite the RW being decimated by injuries and players not working out, not even once was Flynn, a RH shot, tried in the top six. If he is not on the team for offensive depth, why the hell is he on the team at all?

• sirs81 says:

He puts him on the second PP unit so he can have better odds. The other team should /would have put their second pairing PK unit out there…

• Mavid says:

does it really matter..the angry folks..or the MT disliker’s would find something wrong no matter who he put out thats just the way it is..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

37. JUST ME says:

Quiz time
    Guess who is the number one goaltender in the AHL with a 1.70 ga average, 22 W 9 L 2 OT ? Not going to tell you .You need to work a bit.
    Not going to tell you i told you so !(because i did) .Perfect example on how things can run smoothly, turn to an horror movie and then the year after go back to the perfect scenario.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not to make excuses for him, heaven forfend, but that’s what results from the pervasive, continual slashing that happens in the NHL. Everyone’s always slashing everyone else, it’s meant to replace defence and positioning. If you’re not slashing your guy, you’re not covering him.

Playing along the boards, guys don’t necessarily try to play the puck, or steal it away from someone else, they just slash and slash and hack at the other guy, the other guy’s stick. You have to make a ‘strong play’, not stickhandle.

In the scramble in front of the net, there are crosschecks, slashes, a thicket of hockey sticks being used against one another.

So Kevin Connauton, in the process of doing his thing, conducting his business, matriculating the puck away from his goalie, hacked at the King standing there, and got him in a sensitive spot, probably his bony wrist, where the lightweight gloves they wear nowadays offer no protection.

Ape Milan goes apespit, but was the Kevin Connauton slash especially grave, or even noteworthy?

Not according to Daddy Campbell’s rules (emphasis mine):

Rule 61 – Slashing

61.1 Slashing – Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an
      opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick
      contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized
      as slashing
      . Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an
      opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s
      hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play
      the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

61.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
      based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
      who slashes an opponent.

61.3 Major Penalty – A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
      based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
      who slashes an opponent. When injury occurs, a major penalty must
      be assessed under this rule (see 61.5).

61.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
      penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
      injured his opponent by slashing.

How are referees supposed to interpret this, control it, when Don Cherry blowhards that they should “let them play”? That they shouldn’t ‘inject themselves in the game’?

On the one hand, it wasn’t particularly aggressive swinging of the stick. Certainly didn’t seem exceptional, taken in context with all the other slashing. Was he trying to non-aggressively make contact with Milan’s pants or shin pads and miss?

He did swing his stick at an opponent and make contact, but it certainly wasn’t a forceful or powerful chop, it wasn’t even a two-hander. Nazem Kadri wouldn’t have bothered diving if he’d been slashed that softly, even he would think that wouldn’t sell.

The Coyote defender tried to slash the stick of the Bruin so he couldn’t control the puck. That’s par for the course in hockey. We used to do that all the time when I was growing up, you just had to make sure it wasn’t too hard, or else it would make too loud a sound and then the ref would penalize the decibels. Nowadays, guys stare at you murderously if you do that in garage league play, because there’s a good chance you could have snapped their $200 stick. But in the NHL? Play ball!

No, the only thing that made this play anything but routine is that it gave Milan an ouchy, and he don’t like ouchies. They smart.

Of course, Milan, in his worldview, is allowed to spear opponents in the crotch, willy-nilly, and then rely on the fact that they wear a cup to sleep good at night. It doesn’t hurt since they wear pro’. But you caught me where my pro’ didn’t pro’tect me, so here’s a right cross to the kisser from behind. Justice shan’t be denied.

Did Milan get a penalty for attempt to injure though? Because that’s definitely in the books. And that never gets applied.

The NHL is too busy getting 4K cameras mounted on the boards to ensure a player isn’t a millimetre offside at the blue line. That’s the big emergency that’s plaguing the league. Ensuring a streaking talented player doesn’t get a chance to score too easy. We have to give those defensive five man teams ‘standing up at the blue line’ a fair shake.

Gary Bettman is too busy trying to get John Scott out of the All-Star Game as a favour to his Coyote buddies, then backpedaling and covering his tracks and convincing us that there was never an issue, John Scott was an All-Star all along. He’s not mad he and his garbage league got punk’d by the fans, not at all. And if you’d stop interrupting him and letting him finish, he’d evade and smarmily lecture the subject to something else, please and thank you.

• Mavid says:

seems he is right on the edge…some serious rage in that man

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

38. Lafleurian Factor says:

I can’t remember the last time we out goaltended our opponents. You? Look no further than that.

39. munch17 says:

27 has to play on the right wing on the first PP unit. He is our most talented forward. Both Carr and Eller should be tried on the second unit.
    67 is not very effective on the PP – he should be down to the second unit.
    And when will the coaches finally realize that little Davey is completely useless on the power play. 22 set him up nicely last night but is still a 4th line player.
    We need to set up a program to save 27. He should not be with DD and Weisse.

• boing007 says:

67 should be where Cammaleri was. Need more scoring options than just PK’s one timer from the point.

Richard R

• Coach K says:

Yes he should be where Cammaleri was but he needs to position himself between the dots instead of drifting wide.

Every foot of drifting takes away a bit of angle from the shooter and gives it to the goalie. He’s got to be smarter with his positioning. The same applies to Galchenyuk.

And by the way, the coaches should know this.

40. Sir Lance Compte says:

Problems last night. Fourth line dominated by Leafs fourth line. Solution. Get rid of DSP and Flynn. Bring in JDR and someone from Ice Caps. DD and Chucky does not work. Put DD with Max for now and reunite EGG line. No Markov next week in back to back. Gilbert should be ready to fill in.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

1) “That a collapse didn’t happen – and that Lars Eller, one of the team’s few recent bright lights, won the game in a Shootout – may have been a sign that perhaps the Canadiens have turned the corner.”

Anyone who accuses our Headmaster of being too negative and critical needs to reconsider. He can perform Maybelline magic on any old porcine varmint.

2) The Leafs had an 8-5 shot advantage in the middle period and got a goal from Nazem Kadri – the most dislikable Toronto player since Darcy Tucker.

He’s on target when it comes to Mr. Kadri though. Although we both failed to hold him accountable for all the dives and pratfalls. And so did the refs. And so will Daddy Campbell.

Un Canadien errant JANUARY 23, 2016 AT 8:45 PM

Loathsome Nazem Kadri. I guess there wasn’t anyone in the vicinity to spear or slewfoot, he wasn’t otherwise engaged, so he found time to score a goal.

All that’s left is to compare it favourably to a John Tavares goal, and his night’s work is done.

3) “My grandmother, Big Mama, said to me repeatedly ‘Tavis, baby, be careful of stoopin’ so low that you can’t get back up’.”–Tavis Smiley

The Canadiens need to heed Tavis Smiley’s grandma’s advice. To say nothing about my dear friend Bellyfull.

4) http://nhllotterysimulator.com/

The Leafs won where it counted. Two draws for them to get the #2. Three draws for us to get the #3.

The Sens got first overall on the first draw, Oilers third.

5) More Tavis Smiley: “I was on one of the Sunday morning shows, and within hours (Donald Trump) had tweeted about me, based on his not liking what I’d said about him on this show…”

“So you probably said some facts…”, interjects Trevor Noah.

———————————————————————–

• habstrinifan says:

Good Morning UCE. I was in a Sunday morning mood and hopeful for the typical italicised raillery as you describe last night. Your style suits the laissez-faire bantry of two neighbours’ Sunday morning gabbing.

And you did not disappoint.. nicely done and thanks.

You not only told me what culprits, like Kadri did, but reinforced my right to find him wanting; certainly not neighbour worthy.

And you made sure that I did not only condemn the worthless but balanced myself by saluting the respectable folks like Mr Boone (the ‘headmaster’ … surely first used in a Sunday Morning gab) who obviously is good folk and neighbour worthy.

Again Thanks!

But I have to ask you, politely of course, cause it is after all Sunday Morning to recant your statement that the Leafs won where it counted! Somehow it does not seem in keeping with our Sunday morning virtue. I know they gained an edge in the lottery chances but Sunday isn’t done yet… we shall find a GOOD way to make it right! They haven’t won! Somewhere a grandmother is working to make it right!

Have a peaceful Sunday!

42. JUST ME says:

It is going to be an uphill battle every night, every game, no matter who you play against.
    Square one yesterday against such an empty team. No talent, a few good kids but no core to build around.
    This is the measuring stick and we won ! Yé !
    The guys had almost a 60 minutes effort that made it closer than it should have been. Not overwhelmed with joy. Of course it is nice to win finally but the Leafs are such a sad excuse for a hockey franchise that i just can t feel much more optimistic than i have been for a while.
    Aouuuummmmm! vibes for Carey…

43. JohnInTruro says:

Tinordi put in 15 mins last night for the Coyotes.

44. 123456 says:

Away from the HABS: Kassian and Luchick both acted like a-holes last night.

45. Habsville says:

Two points in the column! Like many games during this epic slide they dominated the game. As bergie said Condon is not Price, the 2nd goal was rebound direction, and again around the 5 mi mark of the 3rd almost another mix up behind his net with his D men. The same mistake that led to the tying goal and the loss in OT to the Blues. Where poor Markov was vilified for the OT loss. Give Max the credit he deserves for scoring in the shoot out. No Max goal not two in the column. He had to score and did. A leader and a C

46. WindsorHab-10 says:

As much as I’ve bashed the Habs lately, it feels good to win.

47. rhino514 says:

Everyone keeps saying Condon gives them a chance to win most nights but the save percentage just isn´t there after almost every game. And in over half the games he lets in at least one weak goal.
    Habs have to thoroughly outplay their opponents every night as they will lose the goaltending battle most nights.
    It will be very tough with Price´s extra two week delay to make up the necessary ground.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I like the idea of the Habs needing to outplay their opponents! Every night!

Also like them growing (hopefully) into a team that doesn’t depend on Carey Price.

48. expat_habsfan says:

They still sucked tonight because they almost found a way to lose a game they should have put out of reach in the 1st period.
    The Habs 1st line can’t cycle the puck because Pleks melts in the corners and Patches plays like he’s 5’6″ tall when he’s in traffic. Too bad somebody doesn’t show him the video of Benn’s hit on Petry so he can understand how a big top line player and captain is supposed to play.
    Subban looked like a rookie on both Leaf goals, especially Lupul’s when he didn’t turn on the play after he got beaten.
    DSP is a waste of ice time and that entire 4th line was embarrassingly dominated by their Leaf’s counterparts. If the Leaf’s 4th line had had any luck it would have been a disastrous for the Habs every time they were on the ice.
    Habs still can’t clear the puck efficiently and during the 2nd and 3rd periods turned it over way too often.
    Yes it’s 2 points but they shouldn’t have had to give the Leaf’s back 1 of them.

49. Bun E. Laroque says:

Good for Eller to come through with a big shootout win. Condon was great in the shootout. Galchenyuk and Desharnais should really not be playing together. The power play really still sucks. You don’t actually have to fire anybody to put someone other than Daigneault in charge of it do you ?

50. billylove says:

Wouldn’t describe it as a clash of the titans. The ending was fitting, a winner decided in an extended shootout. Wake me up when Price returns.

51. Heisenberg says:

The best the Habs could do against a hapless Leaf squad was eek out a shoot-out win? Oy veh.

52. D Mex says:

Nice thing about Laffs ‘ earning ‘ a point tonight is that it interferes a bit with their master plan for the AM pick.
    Doubtful we’ll be in that neck of the woods when the time comes.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

Here is what this win reminded me of…

1995, Mario Trembley get so to speak a vote of confidence. His first game against the leafs. An OT win (not SO then)… the rest is history.

Michael Therrien gets a vote of confidence. Plays the leafs. Wins in OT.

Last 3 years was only the beginning folks.

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Oops I meant to write Eller’s puck-handling has been under-rated not over-rated. Anyway, I can’t remember the last time I have seen a Habs center that strong on the puck. Also, when is the last time the Habs had a 4th line that hit and could changed momentum? Maybe when Begin and Lapierre were around….

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

Bloomberg considering entering Presidential race as an Independent.

Consider for a moment if establishment Republicans back-stabbing Trump, forcing The Donald to also run as an Independent.

Potential historical precedence neither a Republican nor a Democrat would be the President of the United States.

My vote would go to whomever declared themselves a Habs Fan.

56. devhab says:

I want to believe

Giddy up

57. Arnou Ruelle says:

I don’t agree that you can’t put Eller on the first line. Lately, he’s proven himself to play top minutes and I don’t agree with DDO_Habs_Fan. Just b/c Plekanec is paid $6-million doesn’t mean he can’t be on the 3rd line. If Therrien has to do something to spark some offense (before trade deadline), then its time to be creative IMO. Anyway, its just my opinion and its probably evident the team will not make the playoffs.

• devhab says:

I feel like I have a Lucy/Charlie Brown relationship with Eller. He plays well for a while and I start thinking he’s going to break out, and then I’m about to jump on his band wagon, and he pulls the football away, and I’m left on my back saying we gotta trade this guy. Tired of being Charlie.

Giddy up

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Eller has never ever put up large scoring numbers and now you want to put him up against top defenders? Pleks has his ups and downs but he has consistently put up 20 goal seasons. Eller has never had a 20 goal season, not even in the AHL. Leave him alone and worry about the 2nd line center instead.

I was at the game tonight. You can say what you want but I found the 1st and 3rd periods to be very entertaining. The people I was with were on the edge of their seats for the overtime and shootout. My wife isn’t a huge hockey fan but she enjoyed the game. We had the good fortune to watch the game in a luxury box (due to a kind favour from a friend) and it was a very cool experience. It’s a totally different vibe in terms of entertainment value.

The team is desperate right now to do anything positive. So I’ll take tonight’s two points and run with them. I’ll leave it up to others to slice and dice Montreal’s management and players.

149/84/27

• Mavid says:

right on…glad you and your wife had a good time..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• 24 Cups says:

I know you are the one person who will truly understand when I say that my wife and I are ecstatic over being grandparents for the first time. Our grandson, Finnley, is now two months old. He wears his Hab PJs with pride.

149/84/27

59. aHabberlikeyous says:

I noticed one of the shots Gallagher got on net at the end of the 3rd hugged the post b/c its tragectory had been dampened by an accumulation of ice around its base… shouldnt refs check for that?

Wanna Molson?

60. flyrod55 says:

One step at a time. Hare and the tortoise, You’ll see. You just got to believe.

61. Cal says:

Well folks, they tried to make it a complete dog’s breakfast, but the laffs beat them to the punch. Matthews looms large in their plans, I think.
    A gimmick win still counts as 2 points even though the last 2 periods should have cost them the game. A better team would have rolled over the Habs because the Pleks and Mitchell lines weren’t matching well against the laffs at all.
    Lots of suckitude to take from the game and the next 2 will show just how bad this team can be. Then again, I could be wrong, um, let me think… uh, no. I expect losses against Tort’s blocking machines.
    The lack of finish turns what should have been a rout into a nail biter. Not good. Still waiting on that significant trade. Good thing I’m not holding my breath.

62. Chelios24 says:

Boone, why do you love Weiss? I find him very inconsistent, unintelligent, and he really does nothing particularly well. He’s not tough, skilled and creates and finishes very few scoring chances (forget his hot start the first 20 games). I have no trouble understanding why Torterella gave up on him.

• krob1000 says:

I like Weise….fast,big and can chip in and can play in playoffs …hi cap hit is very good too

• Chelios24 says:

Weiss should come out banging bodies every night. Do something consistently well! To me he’s just a mediocre fringe 3rd/4th line NHLer who isn’t particularly tough/intimidating to play against. I suppose for his cap hit he’s tolerable. Certainly not a winning player in my opinion.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

The Dutch Lafleur’s sweet pass to DD to open the game’s scoring was the highlight of tonight’s game for Me.

• devhab says:

I also like Weise, but as mentioned in another post I think he may be playing injured. And, pp is above his pay grade.

Giddy up

63. devhab says:

Expected to see Barberio on the pp. I thought he looked good with pk, but no. Same old crap. Markov almost caughed up the puck on the first pp for a leaf break away. They need to play him as a 5-6 d man, unless his game turns around.

Giddy up

64. nova scotia vees says:

Let me repeat an earlier post..I keep saying that the
    Habs have too many days off and are not in shape. Therrien should listen to Babcock who just said, “I gave them the day off yesterday. That won’t happen again.”

65. Chelios24 says:

you can just tell this win won’t do anything to generate positive momentum for the Habs. The team is not good, period. Price was basically the whole team last season. Without him (and I have very little confidence he will get healthy and regain his all-star form at all this season) this team might as well miss the playoffs badly and get a very good draft position. I’d rather blow this team up and build it through the draft bc this team will not win the Cup with this group of forwards.

66. krob1000 says:

Some say team plays different under Condon/whoever
    Some (like me say MT and team changed)

Some stats

On October/November

-Condon record 8 wins, 3 losses and 2 ties …45 goals for 32 goals against
    -PRice record 10 wins 2 losses 43 goals for, 24 against

December/Jan -traded away RW depth and screwed overboth GHetto/Carr

December
    Condon/TOkarski/Scrivens 3 wins , 11 losses…
    goals for 23 goals for in 14 games…..goals against 42.

So……had team maintained offensive game they played previously under ANY GOALIE PRICE INCLUDED….and scored at same pace which would have meant approx 40 goals in that time…they should have maintained a .500 pace (which is actually more in three point game ear).

Sorry…I still blame MT. Of course they are not Price but had MT kept up offense and not meddled like those kids on Scooby Doo I believe they would still be sitting top 3.

• devhab says:

I think it’s both. With Price we likely win 2-1. But, yes MT did mess up the lines.

Condon’s not a bad tender, but he’s not a great one either. It’s not all on him, but I think it’s partly on him. We don’t get that big save often enough like many other teams get. There are lots of really strong number ones – Holtby, Rask, Quick, Schneider, Bishop, Anderson, Crawford, Luongo, Lundquist, Fluery – that come to mind.

Giddy up

67. Islandhabber69 says:

Itz gonna be a tuff road ahead,the way they’re playing….hopefully…magically…they will turn the corner or suck ass and get a top 3 pick….

68. Habitoban says:

Two players are worrying me. Weisse was the fastest skater on the Canucks. He was fast when he started here, but isn’t anymore. He must be playing hurt. Pleks has no jump to his game. If he is in a funk for some reason, the Manager should take him for a walk in the snow.

• devhab says:

Yes, I think Weiss has got to be hurt. He’s playing his worst hockey since acquired. It’s too bad cause I really like him.

Giddy up

• krob1000 says:

seems to play well with Flash….the other day he/eller/flash were good….he also made great play on dd goal…..but too many mins and overuse again by MT

• devhab says:

I don’t like dumping on him, but he just seems slow to me – no jump. Against the Hawks he just stood there and waved his stick while a hawk skated by and made the pass on their first goal. Not like him. Not physical.

Having said that, by no means am I blaming him for this mess. Just saying I think he’s not fully recovered from that hand injury.

Giddy up

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I’ve been trying to say already, Plekanec is not giving the first line a lot of chances. Therrien is trying to use #14 as a faceoff/two-way centre. But the problem is that Plekanec is not scoring goals, he’s not getting that much points, and he’s becoming a liability with both Patches and Gallagher.

I know he’s a veteran player and a part of the leadership. But like Markov, he’s not getting better nor his playmaking is just not the same as before. They need size in the first two centre positions.

69. habs-fan-84 says:

Told ya they’d win.
    Habs make the playoffs and take everyone by surprise (especially with a healthy Price).

70. Dust says:

Also Babcock isn’t worth 8 mil. Leafs still suck just as bad under him

71. Dust says:

Couple things.
    Carr shouldnt play in the ahl again.
    Same for barberio

72. aHabberlikeyous says:

SKØL!

Vil du have en Molson?

73. JohnBellyful says:

So did the Leafs adjust to the Canadiens’ power play after the first one? And what did the Canadiens do in response to being stifled after that?