About last night …

GalchenyukWinner

Fearless prediction #1: That’s not the last playoff overtime goal Alex Galchenyuk will score in his career.
Fearless prediction #2: That’s not the last playoff win for Dustin Tokarski.
Fearless prediction 3#: That’s not the last game for which Michel Therrien juggled his forward lines.

A prediction for how the rest of the series will go?
Hey, what am I? Clairvoyant?

What anyone but the most deluded fan can see clearly is the need for your Montreal Canadiens to play better in Game 4 and for as long as this series lasts.

I thought Michel Therrien was being a bit disingenuous when the coach pointed out, during his postgame press conference, that the Canadiens three goals were scored with three different forward lines on the ice.

This gives rise to the erroneous notion that Therrien got a balanced attack from his forwards.

Through three games, that has not been the case.

David Desharnais (18-8 on faceoffs), Max Pacioretty (seven shots directed at Henrik Lundqvist, an assist on Andrei Markov’s goal) and Brendan Gallagher (four of the Canadiens’ 25 SoG) were the only line that troubled Lundqvist and the Rangers D on a consistent basis.

Daniel Brière, Thomas Vanek and Rene Bourque combined for the goal that gave the Canadiens a late-game lead. But they played less than 12 minutes and were largely ineffective.

Until they combined for the winner in OT, Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta and Galchenyuk spent little sustained time in the Rangers’ zone. Credit the kid with escaping Marc Staal’s vigilance to drive the net in OT. Lundqvist’s clearing attempt bounced in off Galchenyuk’s chest – one of the too few bad breaks the Rangers have had in this series.

The fourth line didn’t make it onto the scoresheet. Lars Eller was 1-7 on draws, but Brandon Prust had five hits and indicated, early on, that he for one wouldn’t be going down without a fight.

We’ll find out Friday whether the league’s disciplinarians will look into Prust’s hit on Derek Stepan. It wasn’t penalized, but the play cost the rangers the services of Daniel Carcillo – granted, no great loss – and had them looking for Prust, probably to their detriment, for the rest of the game.

If Prust is suspended, Therrien will have to juggle his lines again. That might not be a bad idea regardless.

His OT heroics undoubtedly will boost Galchenyuk’s confidence. I’d like to see him back with Eller for Game 4 because the kid seemed out of sync with Plekanec and Gionta, both of whom are struggling against the Rangers.

Playing with Brière may bring Vanek out of his coma. I’m starting to suspect he was hurt more than the team let on when Vanek became collateral damage to P.K. Subban’s hit on Reilly Smith during the Boston series.

Two days off before Game 4 will help the Canadiens beleaguered defence corps.

Subban played 25:41 and looked out of sorts. P.K. was caught up ice on the Carl Hagelin goal that opened the scoring.

Andrei Markov played 24:37, scored a goal and was on the ice for Galchenyuk’s OT winner.  Markov was a steadying influence on his D partner. Alexei Emelin had six hits to lead both teams and was much better – the tying goal that ticked in off his skate notwithstanding – than he’d been in the series’ first two games at the Bell Centre.

After taking his goaltender out of the play that produced Hagelin’s goal, Josh Gorges bounced back to play a solid game and had six of the Canadiens’ 22 blocked shots.

Mike Weaver blocked five shots and was adept at covering up for his own defensive errors. It’s possible Weaver will have a new partner for Game 4; Nathan Beaulieu played less than nine minutes.

Credit the Canadiens with discipline – only two minor penalties, both to Gallagher for O-zone infractions.

And credit them with the character to bounce back from the Rangers’ dominant first period and from the heartbreak of conceding a tying goal with 29 seconds left.

Most of all, credit the goaltender.

Tokarski stopped 35 of 37 shots and couldn’t be faulted for either New York goal. The kid’s third-period glove save on Martin St. Louis will make every sportcast’s highlight package. And Tokarski’s excellence boosted the confidence of his teammates, who bounced back from that horrendous first period to play the home team pretty even.

Josie Gold sees the Toker as the second coming of Ken Dryden.

Fearless prediction: The kid won’t go to law school.

Ken Dryden

1. Hab_nut says:

I was shocked yet again to see Danny Briere pop on in with less than 5 minutes left! Large portions of the game you wonder if he went to the dressing room, but when the game is on the line he just keeps surprising you.

Turned out to be a good pickup at the end of the day, and 2 months ago I thought he was best suited for the press box.

Go Habs!

CA

2. CHasman says:

First off, I am so happy the Canadiens won yesterday. I am not one of those people who is in awe of the ‘great’ New York Rangers, though I can certainly see that they are giving our team fits. In my opinion this has a lot to do with our team playing poorly. Definitely worse than the last two series. The reasons are…

1. All of a sudden the power play is inept. Why? I don’t know and I don’t think the team knows, but I’m pretty sure that the forward trio of Briere. Vanek and Bourque is not helping the PP. Let’s get real, these are the three players on the team who are the ‘softest’ on the puck, playing together?
    2. PK Subban. What has happened to you? You elevated your game for the Boston series and now you are playing two levels below that. Bad passes, bad decisions, and constantly turning back on rushes leaves your team mates standing still at the blue line waiting for you to make up your mind. We all know you are better and the team needs you to be.
    3. The line combos suck. Except for the first line, we now have the soft Briere line. Oh come on! Yes they scored a goal but they looked out of it the rest of the game. Both Briere and Vanek need players on their line who will work harder than they do. And Bourque? Well he’s just doing what he has done all of his career. He shows us something good for a few games and then he rests on his laurels (?) for who knows how long. The Pleks line did not look too great either. Until he score Galcheniuk was awful. We get more out of Bournival. Then we have Eller who has probably been one of the most consistent and reliable forwards all playoffs being relegated to the fourth line. Play him with Bournival and Galcheniuk and we could have a winner.
    4. The defense has been throwing the puck away too often. NY makes a lot of good short passes in their zone to get out of trouble and then they make a break out pass to a speeding forward. Too often our defence (with the exception of Markov) is just throwing the puck off the boards to no one in particular and those needless possession changes are killing us.
    5.Maybe the players are gassed from the Bruins series but they need to step it up if they really want to win.
    The bottom line is we are in a series that could be 2 to 1 for us with some bounces and we haven’t played our best yet. I hope we get there before it’s too let.

3. HUDSONHAB says:

Game 4 motto; Early and Often.

4. Un Canadien errant says:

After losing two straight games in the warm confines of home, your 2014 Montréal Canadiens went against script and got one back from the New York Rangers on the road, winning in overtime 3-2. Alex Galchenyuk, freshly back from a knee injury layoff, went to the net and banked a rebound off his shin, uh, chin, from the stick of Tomas Plekanec, who had been somnolent offensively so far in this series.

I feel like I have to make amends to various actors and players, apologize, eat a healthy serving of crow. As a fan, I’m supposed to believe, and psyche up my team, from a distance, telepathically. I think it works through the noosphere somehow. Synchronicity. Yeah, that’s it.

First of all, I stopped believing in my team once Carey got injured. I threw in the towel possibly before it was even announced that he was gone from the series. It looked bad. Even if he kept playing, would he be 100%? I was protecting myself from the certain series loss, telling myself I didn’t care that much anyhow, eliminating the Bruins was all I really needed to keep me nourished emotionally. I was already looking forward to the summer moves, the draft.

I didn’t believe in Dustin Tokarski. Sorry young dude, but you look small in net. After years of seeing giants Ben Bishop and Pekka Rinne and Jakob Markstrom eclipsing any mesh behind them, it’s jarring to see wee Dustin crouched in there during play, and especially on slow-mo replays. I haven’t seen that much cage since “Deadliest Catch”.

Even when I tried to convince myself that he may have a corresponding advantage in terms of agility, quickness, I couldn’t get there. A Don Beaupré or Jocelyn Thibault needs to be miraculous, unerring, while a Robin Lehner just needs to be show up, and cover 95% of the goal area just by standing there.

I didn’t believe in the fight in the team anymore. I thought they’d surrender with Carey no longer in the ranks.

I didn’t believe that David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty could find another gear. David has been a giant, often the best forward on the ice for the Habs, darting all over and creating headaches for defencemen. He hasn’t backed down, hasn’t shied away from contact, he’s put up with the crosschecks and the slashes.

And Max, who often falls back on old habits, cruising where the opposition isn’t, looking for open space so as to get his shot off, has added another layer to his game. I didn’t think he could, or would, but he has started to fight through the tangles, to win puck battles along the boards. He’s adapted, finished a few checks instead of skating by after the puck, investing for later on, putting the idea in opposing players that they’ll get thumped later on.

Michel Therrien I thought had gone to the well once too often. He’s taken some bold decisions since he took over, in terms of goalie starts, healthy scratches, line combos, but I thought this Hail Mary, of going to his AHL goalie, was verging on histrionics. Unseemly. Just put your veteran in there and lose with honour, I thought. Keep your composure. Don’t Leask Manoeuvre yourself.

But the Head Coach has been clear that this wasn’t just a hunch he played, but rather a group decision with the coaches and management team reviewing both of his goalies’ track records and recent performances. It wasn’t just betting on youth, trying to capture another Steve Penney or Jaro Halak bit of lightning in a bottle.

So I watched last night’s game as a formality, an obligation for a true fan, but not expecting a win. I might have even hoped for a quick, merciful end, a sweep, so I could get on with my summer. And I expected the dam to break, when the Rangers were pelting the Habs goalie with rubber, that the inevitable would come.

The Carl Hagelin goal, a cheapie bounce/bunt after a last-ditch effort from Josh Gorges, but precipitated by the Rangers’ team, was to be the first of many, I thought.

The Habs stayed in it though. The saves accumulated, and they absorbed the blows, and scored a beautiful team goal to tie it up. Alexei Emelin rubs out a Ranger behind his goal, passes the puck up to David Desharnais, who takes a hit to push the puck up to Max and Brendan who streak up the ice. Max takes it up the left wing in the offensive zone while Brendan goes to the net. Max finds Andrei Markov on the right side with a great pass, and Andrei one-times it past Henrik Lundqvist.

There was talk on both sides of lucky or bad bounces. Let’s agree that both teams got lucky on their second goals, but they weren’t fluky, they happened because they were taking the play to the other guys. And the same goes for the overtime goal. Lucky bounce, sure. I hope Alex doesn’t have too big of a bruise on his face this morning, for the sake of his teenybopper fans. But it happened because of a fundamentally sound play, with a veteran taking a good shot on net, not really thinking it will get through, but hoping for a rebound or deflection.

Some heat, some controversy in the game too. Brandon Prust put a late-ish hit on Derek Stepan, and though he hit the body the Rangers head snapped forward, so there was contact to the head as a result. Mr. Stepan laid on the ice for a long stretch, and it looked bad, but then he jumped up and revived miraculously. Maybe it’s the fact that there wasn’t a penalty called, but suddenly he was sharp, agitated, shouting threats.

I wish players didn’t feel they had to act injured to get a call. You can’t pick apart which are real and which are drama. I was leaning to the latter, but now we get word that Derek Stepan has a broken jaw. So, yeah, sorry about that.

Colin Campbell, you ridiculous, inept fool, take care of this. First, assure players that they’ll get the call, when they’re restrained, hooked, hit from behind, they don’t have to fall or feign injury. Tell your refs to make the calls, never mind Don Cherry. Whether a player falls to the ice shouldn’t be the determining factor on whether a player was fouled.

Then, announce that embellishing is cheating, it’s not gamesmanship, and it won’t be tolerated, winked at as a strategy, a means to an end. It’s a fundamental attack on the game, like PED’s. It calls the honesty and fairness of the game in question. That anyone deemed to have exaggerated their reaction, based on subsequent video review, will be suspended. You will be caught.

The diving, the over-reacting, the Bruins-ing, it would disappear overnight if these simple steps were taken. Fans wouldn’t be so polarized, crying foul when their own player was the victim, but calling opponents fakers.

Hockey needs to address this, so that it doesn’t fall into disrepute, like soccer is with the average North American fan. That sport is harmed by the perception that players are overly dramatic, fall at the merest contact, and roll around on the turf clutching their knee when there’s nothing wrong with them.

Another noteworthy event was the ejection of Dan Carcillo for abuse of an official. While Brandon Prust was fighting Derek Dorsett, who was trying to avenge Derek Stepan, Dan Carcillo was restrained by a linesman. For whatever reason, the Ranger pushed/crosschecked/punched the official a couple times at least. This is a great opportunity for the sport to rid itself of that clown for a long, long time. I say suspend him three or four seasons.

So the Canadiens have assured themselves of another game at the New Forum, and get a little bit of momentum, a little bit of confidence. Maybe they planted a seed of doubt in the opponents. And my prediction that we’d win in four still looks precarious, but now I won’t give up hope.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

5. DC-Hab says:

Paul Mara

6. CHicoHab says:

Did I hear right. Stepan has broken jaw??

7. Puck Bard says:

Aside from Gomez, what former Hab would you LEAST like to see in the current line up?

8. third generation haber says:

An AHL goalie beats King Henrik, and the Habs are in their 2nd conference final in 5 years.

In the past 5 years, L.A. and Chicago made it 3 times; Habs, Bruins, Rangers, and San-jose are the only teams to have made it twice.

Pittsburgh only once; Detroit, Colorado, and St. Louis- zero; the leafs…. ha, ha, ha…. I never get tired of pissing them.

j.p. murray

9. kalevine says:

what about Briere?
    now he’s got 2 big late third period goals because of his still great hands and sense. He actually looked good last night in general, making things happen. Gally played a fantastic game but couldn’t quite get a high grade scoring chance

10. HammerHab says:

MB to TV after the playoffs are over, assuming we dont win the cup:

“Thomas look, the team made it this far despite your hand injury….why dont you stick around a few years and see if we can’t win a Cup? If we do I promise I’ll trade you to Minnesota right after the parade.”

:D

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• third generation haber says:

I hope not. Subban and possibly Galchenyuk will be commanding big dollars soon. Likewise, Gallagher keeps improving.

j.p. murray

• HammerHab says:

salary cap will keep going up…and Gio’s 5mil will likely be off the books, they have 26.4mil in cap space for next season with the following guys to sign:

Subban – 8mil
        Markov – 4mil
        Weaver – 1.5mil
        Eller – 3mil
        Weise – 1.5mil
        White – 1.5mil
        Vanek – 7mil

Budaj’s 1.4mil probably wont count as they’ll find a way to move him or something, and Toker’s cap hit would be less than that. After next year Briere’s 4mil goes off the books and the cap goes up again so we can give raises to Gally, Chucky, Bournival, Beaulieu & Tinordi

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

11. Mr_MacDougall says:

When is game 4 again? Canada Day?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Cal says:

Labour Day, I think.

• Puck Bard says:

With the Finals starting on Simcoe Day

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Say what you will.. Game 1.. It’s 2-1 after 2 periods if Price does not get hurt.. Habs were beginning to dominate the game.. I say they would have won it in the 3rd…

The Price injury cost us Game 1… The pundits look at the score and say the Rags dominated… I couldn’t disagree more.

Game 2.. I think the Habs dominated.. But lost…

Game 3… Rags do managed the 1st (much like game 1) but the Hbas controlled much of the rest of the game..

This smells like the Boston series.. Habs are the better team and it will become evident..

Also, I’ve noticed many times St Louis speeding around with the puck in our zone along the boards with a defender between him and the net.. The second,defender usually comes,in and poke chcks him.. The second,defender should be going in and DESTROYING him.. Leaves himself very vulnerable.. Happened,several times.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

12. boing007 says:

Hyperbaric therapy for everybody before the next game:

Richard R

• Timo says:

LOL… I think I’ll stick with massage.

“Some patients may develop changes in eyesight (e.g., temporary nearsightedness [myopia] caused by the increased blood oxygen levels). In these cases, vision should return to pretreatment status eight weeks after the completion of treatments. There are other less common adverse effects, which will be discussed before treatment begins. “

13. Paz says:

the Habs found their way to the net for their 2nd and 3rd goals and got some lucky bounces bounce their way.

Get the puck to the net and……

Go to the net. Go to the net. Go to the net. Go to the net.

Playoff series are usually determined in and around both crease areas.

14. BJ says:

What value can you place on Galchenyuk’s goal last night? For us fans a win and for Molson probably around 2.5 million.

Quite frankly I don’t want Carcillo suspended. Rags will use it as a rallying point crying injustice and for the Habs it’s good when this meathead is on the ice. He is useless as a player and only increases chances of Habs scoring.

The happiest person about last night’s win – Geoff Molson. Another couple of cool mil for him. He is loving it.

I don’t know Timo, I was pretty happy, but then again I’m sure you were super happy too! :)

• boing007 says:

More than McDonald’s?

Richard R

• Cal says:

I think the happiest people, besides the players, were the fans. And,yes, Geoff Molson is a fan.
      That cool two to three million just pays down a little of the debt he acquired buying the Habs. He stepped up when no one else would.
      I am glad the Habs have an owner that wants to win and not just another atypical money grubber.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

His ROI is over 10% (on franchise value alone)… Even though Gillette made a mint, it’s still an amazing investment for Molson.. Add to the 10% Yearly profits.. Likely up around 20% growth in capital each year.. The increasing franchise value will level out with the inflation rate very soon.. But the Habs are a money making machine.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Cal says:

For sure. It’s annoying to read every day about Molson. At this time of the year, it’s about the effing Cup, not finances.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree.. I hope he earns though.. Healthy finances.. Healthy franchise… Healthy fans!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

17. shiram says:

I don’t know this guy but…

Steve ZipayVerified account ‏@stevezipay

RT @RealKyper: Carcillo #NYR update. Cat. II abuse of official auto10 gms. Can be review by GB to reduce # of gms. Unsure if he’ll appeal

I can’t believe they are even considering a suspension. After what guys like Lucic and Thornton got away with with just some measly 5K fines. If Prust even gets one game it’d be a travesty. Stefan was back a few minutes later… it was a late (maybe) hit that warranted 2 mins at most.

19. FlyAngler says:

If Prust gets suspended for a game (which I am hoping he does not) The guy to come in should be either Bournival or Moen. Bournival was playing well before getting bumped in favor of Chucky and he has a lot of speed which is important in this series.
    Moen has grit and experience and a Stanley Cup Ring which certainly could help in this series. And he is a guy that you can put on the ice in the closing seconds to protect a lead as M T did against Boston when Moen nearly knocked Jarome Iginla into Boston Harbor which was awesome.
    Whitey? Given past history and his penchant for taking some really, really bad and brain dead penalties, this is not the time to bring him into the lineup. If M T decides that he wants speed, he goes with Bournival, if its grit and physical play then Moen is the guy. Which of these two is probably a close call. Taking either of them over Whitey clearly is not.

• ths says:

No. Bournival or White. They will die to make a difference.
      Moen has other prioritities that don’t involve hockey

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

20. jeffhabfan says:

A big win Last night. We got in a hole early in the series and all I ask is that we make good series out of it if we can not come back to win the series. If we can not win 6 games looks better than 4 games.GO HABS GO.

21. frontenac1 says:

Habs have to keep up the Physical Nasty with the Rags. The first 2 games looked like No Contact Ladies Hockey and we lost. Disrupt. They don’t like it.

22. boing007 says:

PK Subban was null and void last night.

Richard R

23. ths says:

Ive gotta say Prust entered Habstory tonight with his play. He set the tone and told the world we are not going to take any more shoot from Rangers. He can stand along side Ferguson, Robinson, Rocket and Roy.
    He should enjoy dinner tonight in the Big Apple with Tokey, Galley, Briere and Chucky knowing they are now true Habs.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

24. Old Bald Bird says:

Yeah, Prust’s hit was a bit nasty, but there was no charging as they were both drifting to the same area of the ice. It wasn’t a blindside, and it wasn’t a head hit. But it was done by a CH, so they will probably throw the book at him.

25. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

I’m still glowing in the aftermath of what was a great win. I am feeling very good going forward, if only because we still have not yet played out best game. Now that we have the Ranger’s attention, it would be nice to follow up with a win to really get the second guessing started. Unfortunately, unlike the regular season, there does not seem to be any coorelation between a win and a subsequent shift in momemtum. I wonder if the impact of having two days off might change this somewhat, but I think we both enter game four with a clean slate.

Regarding Prust, no I do not think that the hit merits a suspension. My logic might be frayed, but, IMO, if DS would have lied on the ice, we might be talking about 3-5 games today. Because he got up, threw a fit and returned to the game, I think Prust escapes with a strong warning. The hit was late and borderline wreckless, but the head was NOT the primary point of contact. If it was, DS would not have returned to the game. He got winded, the result of a late hit. Personally, and again, it is only my opinion, we now react far too aggresively to hits. We have all had the value of watching the play from multiple angles in super slow motion. The game is played at a very fast pace and the the hit was only a fraction of a second late. Interference, sure. But a suspension, no. Again, IMO, the deciding factor is both the principle point of contact (the chest) and the fact that the player was not hurt.

Shifting gears, as noted last night, anytime you win a game during which your best players, including PK, are well below their peak performance, it bodes well going forward. At the risk of calling further attention to myself, I have not been overly impressed with PK this series. Sure, he might be banged up, but so are others. Sometimes when the body hurts, the mind reactes a fraction slower. PK seems to be struggling with his decision making, and needs something to get him going. Again, the two days off should benefit 76 as much as anyone else.

Lastly, and because I like to end on a positive note, I really like Max’s game right now. He, Gally and DD are creating chances and most importantly – are pulling the Ranger’s number one pairing into a match up, which opens the door for our 2nd through 4th line to exploit a match-up advantage. If the first line continues to play well, they will continue to draw this first pairing. Our success hinges on the 2nd – 4th line getting the job done. McDonaugh and Girardi are a tough match-up, but the advantage moves to our favor as we dig deeper into the roster.

Keep working hard boys. We are NOT the second best team in this series. If we can start playing the way we are capable of playing, this series will be ours.

Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• FlyAngler says:

Good stuff as always C J! Any thoughts on the PP? (We know it is broken)

• Forum Dog says:

I like the optimism, and agree wholeheartedly that – by way of that win – MTL is right back in this series. A slightly better effort and a more convincing victory in game 4 lets them regain home ice advantage, and puts pressure on Rangers that they aren’t currently feeling.

I’ll disagree on the Prust hit though. I believe it is suspend-able, if only for 1 or 2 games. It was way, way late and – if not by definition – by intent was a blind-side. That puck was gone for a good 2-3 steamboats, and Stepan was not (and should not) have expected a hit. The positive is that it ramped up the intensity a bit, which MTL needs if they are gonna regain control of this series. Plus, it might allow Bournival to get back into the series in a 3rd/4th line role, which I think would be good. His speed and tenacity would be welcomed against the mobile Rags d-corps.

• B says:

I watched a clip several times at full speed and counted ‘one steamboat two” each time. The “two” is as far as I got into “two steamboat” which makes it a bit over one second after Stepan got rid of the puck. Clearly less than 2 seconds. I see that as a bit late but not way, way late. Perhaps I am just splitting hairs (or bad at counting)?

–Go Habs Go!–

26. BJ says:

@Habfan10912. Thanks for the nice pics from last night Jim. It looks as if you had a blast. Good for you especially after the game you had to witness vs Washington.

To think earlier in the week he thought his son-in-law should sell the tickets!!! :)

To be a visiting fan watching a playoff game like and get to walk out with the win, to me that is a perfect result.

27. DipsyDoodler says:

Looks like the Rangers don’t like to get hit.

Maybe we roll the dice and dress White if Prust is suspended?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

28. boing007 says:

Give the Refs a hearing while you’re at it.

Richard R

29. habsfan0 says:

Renaud Lavoie was on The Fan 590 in Toronto earlier today and he confirms that Vanek is playing injured,with an injury to his hand. It explains a lot.

These Stanley Cup playoffs have revolved around Martin St. Louis ever since the tragic death of his mother. The Rangers have always said that they’ve come closer together as a result, trying to win for St. Louis.

And he seems to have been magical in these playoffs,scoring important goals at opportune times.

Until last night.

When he was stoned, not once,but twice by Habs goalie Dustin Tokarski.

To coin a phrase, the worm has turned.

Habs win Sunday,and they retake home ice advantage.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s obvious he is hurt. Notice his “shot” on the Briere goal.

I’m still a big TV fan and I’d love to see him stay in Montreal – just not at 7 years for $50M.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

He keeps passing on breakaways or 2 on 1, he’s really not trusting his shot, kind of tough situation for a sniper.

• FlyAngler says:

You wonder if it happened in the collision with P K and if it is getting better. Hopefully time and treatment will make a difference which could be a big factor for us…

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

Probably from that hit he took from PK no less. That explains why he is passing up on so many shots. Lets hope two days off will help. But he should still be able to backcheck.

30. jimmy shaker says:

Does anyone really believe MT, that if toker can get this team to the finals, Price will be able to play for Lord Stanley?

Shaker out!

• habsfan0 says:

That’s doubtful.
      According to Renaud Lavoie,Price has an injury which will sideline him for 4-6 weeks.

• Chris says:

His knee bent in a very awkward way. I would be shocked out of my tree to see Price back this season. I also think it would be a mistake, as he is an important long-term piece for the franchise. They need to get him back to 100%.

• habsfan0 says:

I’m still not certain if this is the same injury that Price incurred against the Senators last year,or suffered this year at the Olympics.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Rest Price in the finals to save him for potential future cup finals?

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

No, rest him to avoid re-injuring the knee and possibly facing the risk of carrying a cap-crippling $6.5 million cap hit forwards for the next 4 seasons. Price hurt that leg coming out of the Olympics, and now he’s hurt it again and much more seriously this time. I think you’ve got to consider shutting him down for the season.

Price at 75% is probably better than Tokarski, but he’s also much more vulnerable. And both the Blackhawks and Kings are teams that put a lot of traffic in the crease, increasing the risk of re-injury.

• BJ says:

I would be very surprised if we saw Price in the finals once we make it there. I think he’s done until next year.

• Forum Dog says:

If Price can play at anything close to 90%, I think he will. Trips to the Final are rare, and if Tokarski can get MTL past the Rangers, I have no doubt that Price will do everything he can to be ready. If its physically impossible, no. But if there is even a chance he can play effectively, both he and the team are likely to go for it.

31. Donkey Hoat says:

Random thoughts:
    We haven’t played as well as we did in Game 6 v. Bruins because NY is doing a good job of shutting us down and hemming us in.
    Ditto for Plekanec and Gionta, they are not disinterested or tired, they have been nullified by NY’s versions of #14 and #21.
    We just have to do better.
    I agree that Plekanec does not really shine during the playoffs, he’s one of those guys that get you to the playoffs; there isn’t really anyone who could replace him, he’s a regular-season MVP for us.
    This team again proved the theory that they sometimes win despite Mr Therrien; why have Galchenyuk with Plekanec and Gionta in the hope that they will score? (I know, I know, they scored last night, but that’s “despite” being on a line together).
    Make Plek and Gio solid shut-down-only guys, and keep the offensive guys in a position to succeed, i.e., on a line of other offensive players.

• Habfan10912 says:

After watching that game live last night folks I really believe that the Rangers are a better team then the Bruins. If the Canadiens are to win this series they’ll have to play a whole heck of a lot better then they have the last 3 games.

When the Rangers generate speed through the neutral zone the Habs have no answer. When the Rangers forecheck we have trouble moving the puck out of our zone. No such worried for the most part in the Bruins series with that. This Ranger team is good. Very good.

• Kooch7800 says:

Habs are not playing that well Jim but I do think they can make this a series. The habs looked a little battered and Bruised but in Game 2 I thought the habs carried the majority of the play. Last night they did not by any stretch. They owe Toker a better effort in Game 4

• New says:

Yes they are very good.

• boing007 says:

Right on, Don Quixote.

Richard R

32. jamman says:

Ain’t no Tokarski bud! Another godly goalie comes outta nowhere. Love it, GHG!

33. SPATS says:

We are back in this and the Rangers have to be very nervous knowing we haven’t played anywhere close to the way we played against the Bruins. Toker has also got them thinking and Prust has them seething. Good. Think about it while you spend time with your families over this ridiculously long break while we bond in the Big Apple.

Sure would be nice to see Pleks with Weise and Prust and let them be our true shutdown line that can pounce with turnovers when Weise and Prust throw their weight around. I would reunite the EGG line and put Vanek back with DD and Patches where he clearly wants to be before sending him to the pressbox. Briere, Gio and Bourque makes yet another solid, seasoned line with playoff pedigree.

We’ve tried everything else, and it would sure give Vigneault fits in his matchups.

Really hope Prust doesn’t get suspended. His presence Sunday will keep them angry and off their game. He really played on the edge last night and it was nice to be on the side that benefited for a change.

Patches/Chara
    Eller/Gryba
    Zednik
    Koivu…

You cannot compare Prust/Stepan as he was back 10 minutes later.

Our guys get sent to the hospital

And don’t forget Price!!!

34. Mats26 says:

Just saw Grapes wearing a habs tie last night. I almost choked on my coffee…

35. shiram says:

Prust gets a phone hearing

“The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: Interference. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.”

36. D Man says:

I switched over to Sportsnet Ontario after the game to watch their replays. The announcer (don’t know his name) almost inadvertently referred to the Habs as the Maple Leafs. It was quite a victory for the Mapl..er..Montreal Canadiens. He just caught himself on time.
    You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• boing007 says:

Saw Bourassa at a press conference some twenty plus years ago defending Quebec’s economic woes with this reply: ‘we are fake, uh, facing a recession’.

Richard R

37. Gazza Strip says:

A few thoughts from N.B. Habs fan.
    1. Prust’s hit was late and I wouldn’t be suprised if he gets a game or two suspension. Carbomb’s elbow to the linesman’s chin should get him a minimum of 10 games.
    2. Give Briere more ice time please. I don’t have the stats at my side but I bet he has the most points per minutes played for the Habs in the playoffs.
    3. How long does MT keep Vanek in the lineup in hopes that he decides to give a crap enough to try. The guy could be a beast but seems uninterested.
    4. Can’t remember seeing a nice goal by our guys this entire series. Would be sweet to see some crisp passes ending up in a goal. What we’ve gotten so far are 6 goals that have been mostly lucky. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather win ugly and lose pretty.
    5. Tokarsky played great but should we get past the Rangers, does Price have a chance to be healthy enough to play? I hope so.
    6. Friends, we are down to the final four and still alive and kicking. I’m damn proud of this team and am wearing the colors with pride.
    Go Habs Go

38. C-Sword says:

So when will the Habs start playing like they did in game # 6 against the Bruins? I’m not liking what I was seeing on the ice, some of them looked like they have given up. Will the win last night motivate them enough to play harder? Our players are turnover machines.

39. Hobie says:

The Prsut hit was late. The head was not the principle point of contact. Hopefully he gets a fine and that’s it. He was one of only a few Habs players with lots of jump last night. I hope he doesn’t get suspended!

• FlyAngler says:

Agreed Hobie, and I wish Carcillo would not be suspended either so that he can take some more brain dead penalties for the Rags.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Can’t see him getting a suspension, may be a warning. Stepan left the ice, came back, finished the game & there was no penalty on the hit. Stepan crying afterwards that the league needs to look at it, I’ll grant him that if the league looks at Kreider’s deliberate attempt to hurt Price. One thing I found out this series so far is that the entire Rangers team are a bunch of whiners. I thought that distinction only applied to Boston.

• New says:

Stephan left the ice because he had to. He pretended he had been head hit… until Prust went to the bench instead of the box. Then he jumped up and was not head hit, but it is too late then, you gotta go to the time-out room and answer the questions. That’s why the Rags were mad. They lost a healthy guy for about 7 real time minutes in a four line game. The refs not buying the embellishing made Stephan look bad.

40. FlyAngler says:

On Brandon Prust-

Don’t forget that the playoff suspension formula of late has been 1 playoff game= 2 games during the regular season. Also, watching the hit in slow motion makes the hit seem later than it actually was. Some analysts suggested that it was perhaps only a second or so late. Stepan was clearly vulnerable which I think is the most problematic aspect of the hit, coupled with the fact that Prust has 1 (but only 1) previous suspension.
    Given that Stepan returned, that the head was not the principal point of contact and Prust did not leave his feet, I could see either no further discipline, a fine or a one game suspension at most, given that it is the playoffs. I think that a fine would be the most just and appropriate disposition in this case.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think that’s very fair assessment of the hit. I think he most likely gets a game, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a fine.

Makes sense hans fan-

I just hope that the Carcillo matter does not factor in since A V linked the 2 in his press conference.

• Chris says:

Prust is a repeat offender.

• FlyAngler says:

Only 1 prior Chris, which is not bad for a big physical guy like Brandon Prust. Patches has a suspension as well but again only one. By way of contrast Carcillo has FIVE. There is a huge difference.

• Chris says:

Sure, but his previous suspension will be on the table. The fact that his previous offence was for a predatory hit where he stuck out his elbow to get Volchenkov, who pulled up when he saw Prust at the last second is particularly relevant given the nature of this hit.

• Phil C says:

His last suspension was more than 18 months ago, so I thought that means he is not technically a repeat offender.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think your right Phil but there’s that double secret probation thingy at play here as well.

Seriously, the NHL supplemental discipline is as consistent as its on ice officiating. Who the heck knows anymore, eh?

• frontenac1 says:

It was a “Hockey Play”. Old time and just the way I like it. Great pics of you at the game Jim! Did you get in a Victory Walkabout?

• FlyAngler says:

Pretty sure that Carcillo is the guy on double secret probation.

• FlyAngler says:

The term “repeat offender” technically refers to the collective bargaining agreement terms governing a player’s loss of salary if suspended. It really is not applicable during the playoffs which do not affect player salary. That said, the Player Safety Department considers all prior suspensions when considering a subsequent incident. This was highlighted in the Matt Cooke case. Cooke technically was NOT a repeat offender, but they considered his past suspensions when they suspended him for the hit on Tyson Barrie of the Avs.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

Didn’t Shanahan take the Penske file with him when he left?

• Chris says:

It means that the salary lost falls under the non-repeat offender status.

But the previous suspension will almost certainly be considered while assessing this play.

• FlyAngler says:

There is no lost salary though Chris, because the players salaries are based upon the 82 game schedule and not the playoffs. The owners make extra money in the post season but the players do not apart from how those dollars fit into the revenue sharing formula in the big picture.

• Chris says:

Fly: I understand that…I was just pointing out where the repeat offender clause becomes relevant.

However, there is playoff bonus money at stake as well, so you aren’t 100% correct with the notion that players get only increased revenue sharing.

The Stanley Cup winning team last season received $3.75 million to split among its players, while the runner-up received $2.25 million. The third round losers received $1.25 million each, and so on.

The totals will be a little higher this season. Obviously, the amounts don’t work out to very much when compared to their regular season salaries. And the players typically decide on how to divide it up (equal shares, include or not the black aces, etc.).

• FlyAngler says:

Got it Chris. I knew that the Cup Finalists got bonuses. I did not realize that teams making it to the semi finals did. Makes sense. It will be interesting to see when Player Safety delivers its decision. I would hope that it would come by this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest so that M T can get his lines in order for game 4.

• New says:

TSN has a Kerry Fraser audio online. One of the things he talks about is giving Prust five and a game for the hit, and a suspension, based on what he got from the NBC feed. He even blames Prust for Carcillo elbowing and shoving the ref. I don’t think Mr. Fraser down at the beach likes Brandon :-)

So there you have it. TV calls the penalties, either immediately or in arrears. New York lives for the entertainment industry…didn’t you see all the venerated stars in the crowd!!!… and Prust must be banned for life.

Or fined $2749.95. Just because they had to deal with it all. And Sarandon is displeased.

41. Grabbed The Cup says:

Maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised at Tokarski’s performance, given his past playoff results, this guy clearly raises his level of play at crunch time;
    WHL & AHL combined playoff stats;
    39-15 1.68 GA .938 SA 8 SO

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

42. Strummer says:

Please enough of the whining of the McDonagh trade.
    Comparing it to Chelios (3 Norris trophies, 5 first team all star selections) or Roy (too numerous to list achievements) is ridiculous
    McDonagh’s won nothing.
    He had one good game and one really good game in this series.
    He had zero points in the first 10 playoff games this year
    When he wins something we can talk.
    For now let’s forecheck him into more own goals like last night.
    ____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• FlyAngler says:

He has some bad turnovers in every game as well.

• Chris says:

Not as bad as Subban’s in this series. McDonagh and Subban are both elite defencemen that will by vying for Norris Trophies for the rest of their careers.

• BJ says:

Why don’t you try something positive re. Habs. Its allowed.

• Chris says:

I give up. Let the pom-pom brigade reign supreme. Heaven forbid somebody else be included in what I would have thought was an awfully complimentary positive thing about a Montreal Canadiens player (you know, the part where I said that Subban will vie for Norris Trophies his entire career?).

People are simply becoming ridiculous on this site of late.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Can’t someone call them as he sees them?

• Old Bald Bird says:

Chris, you are an MVP (Most Valuable Poster) on this site. Don’t let someone with those initials get to you.

BJ the same is a valuable poster here (regardless of his initials, that was a juvenile attack), and he is entitled to how he reads peoples comments also.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Hey, so are you HiB, but that was not an appropriate comment. I do have a tendency to react to those kinds of attacks on those whom I respect, but I know that Chris can fight his own battles. The intial thing was an attempt at humour.

• New says:

Naw, Chris is right BJ. Good D-men can play so-so sometimes. PK is prone to that. He takes too much on himself. The other day on a two on he started to make the wrong play and motioned Beaulieu (of all people) to cross over. Beaulieu ignored him and caught the guy. All PK managed was to increase the distance he (and remember he wanted Beaulieu to do it as well) would need to cover by a third.

PK is an absolute gem. But he gets tunnel vision and thinks he has to do it all. I suspect no one is more surprised than PK when he is out of gas, suddenly, in the middle of nowhere because he used it all up racing between stop lights.

• FlyAngler says:

Agreed Chris. I am very concerned about P K’s play so far in this series and in the latter part of the series against Boston. Hopefully, he will turn it around.

• Chris says:

I’m not too concerned…I think he might be a injured. Does it suck for this run? Yes.

But the kid has declared his intention to be included in the ‘best player in the game’ discussion moving forwards.

• FlyAngler says:

Definitely. He is an all-world talent and will only get better with time and experience. I hope that a couple of days off will help the healing process if he is hurt.

• Habfan10912 says:

No whine here Strummer but he was the best player on the ice last night, Scary skill set. I suspect his future holds Norris or two as does PK.

43. habs-fan-84 says:

FWIW, here’s a slow motion GIF of the Prust hit:

• Strummer says:

He sees Prust coming and starts to put his arms up to protect himself.
      Prust hit him in the chest.
      It was a pic by Prust.
      2 minutes for interference at the worst.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Puck Bard says:

I don’t get the big deal. I see no problem with it.

• Fansincebirth says:

Initial point of contact is the chest. Late hit yes, no penalty called. Phone call hearing and probable 1 game suspension to appease is my guess

44. Prop says:

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 3m
    Montreal forward Brandon Prust will have a hearing today for interference for his hit on New York forward Derek Stepan.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

If indeed the league goes with a 10 or 20 game suspension to Carcillo, I can see the league then saying oh yah Prust hit that guy late, and we don’t want to look like we are biased, so lets give Prust 1 game.

I actually believe that is how these decisions are made, (other than the obvious wheel of justice, which apparantly Shanahan broke so they are making a new one).

46. CrankFSU says:

I love the way Prust plays and I understand what he was trying to do. However, under the most forgiving stopwatch the hit was late and should have been a 2 min interference penalty.

He didn’t leave his feet and the primary point of contact was the chest. It looked violent and if the refs had seen it, it would have been a 5 min penalty and the game. We were very lucky.

Let’s be honest with ourselves the puck was gone and Stepan was looking down the ice. Prusty is by nomeans a dirty player, but the hit was reckless. If the hit had been against a Hab this board would be outraged. A one game suspension is deserved.

If we don’t get more offensive zone time it won’t matter. There seemed to be a little jump with the Briere Bourque Vanek line. Briere needs more ice time. If Vanek will rejoin the playoff party and Plek can start playing like Plek we’ll have a chance.

If the coaches can’t trust BeaulIeu to play in a tight game then it’s time to bring back Frankie or give Tinordi a shot. The D was gassed in the third period.

Big props to Budja for being an outstanding teammate.

Crank

• SPATS says:

• boing007 says:

Who screwed up? The Refs. Give them a hearing.

Richard R

Prust hit was late only! Two min. penalty. It was missed.
    The head was not hit, except when he hit the ice!!
    No Suspension on that play what so ever!!

• Chris says:

I have no problem whatsoever with Prust being suspended on that hit.

It was a late, blind-side hit to a top player by a fourth-line plug…that is EXACTLY the kind of hit that the NHL should be trying to eliminate, and significant suspensions are the only way that it will happen.

Do I expect one? No. But there absolutely should be one. We’d be crying for a a suspension if Dorsett pulled that move on P.K. Subban.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree except Prust isn’t a 4th line plug.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Ozmodiar says:

It was a late hit, I’ll give you that, but “blind-side”?

Since when is the chest the blind side?? He was hit head-on, right on his chest.

• Chris says:

Prust approached from the inside while Stepan was always looking outside to play the puck off the boards. He never saw Prust. Call it admiring his pass if you want, but players should be allowed to do that without having to worry about getting smoked well after the puck has been played.

• BJ says:

Kreider pulled another type of hit on Price, end result nothing on Kreider and Price (perhaps done for the season).

• Chris says:

Yup, and I didn’t like that play either. I would have been fine with Kreider getting 1-3 games, as he had no hope whatsoever of stopping before making contact with Price.

The fact that he lost his balance meant that the collision was far worse than it probably would have been, but there was going to be contact regardless. And Kreider’s history of goaltender collisions should merit a suspension.

• SPATS says:

Hi Ian, see my reply to your earlier post below. 100% agree and also believe there were several positive intangibles that followed that only Prust could deliver!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Ian, you of all people would be howling if this was a Habs player.

48. Mr_MacDougall says:

I usually keep things as positive as I can….

But…

Anybody else think Patch is by far the worst passer on the team? I’d think 1/15 of his passes are in the tape.. Even his pass to Markov was really a shot.. He has no feel for passing, everything is as hard as he can… Most PP zone clears by defenders are,a result of a poor Patch pass/decision.. On the PP he should only pass to the point or corner, he has no skill for cross-ice passes.. Leave that to DD Vanek Markov and PK

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Ian Cobb says:

Patches is not a play maker at all. He needs to be fed the puck and can score, he has a great shot. ONLY!
      Vanic has a great sweater! ONLY

• Chris says:

That was a pretty high-skill level pass to get that pass to Markov.

Yes, Pacioretty has a lot of passes that lack the appropriate ‘touch’. That is the brilliance of Andrei Markov, who has that rare ability to put the appropriate weight on the majority of his passes.

Pacioretty obviously does not have that touch, but he does have the vision…how many other Habs even remotely think of making that pass to Markov? Touch is important, but so is vision and awareness.

Some guys have the touch but pass the puck too late or too early. Other guys fire it too hard or too soft. Some guys don’t even look to pass most of the time because they’ve got their head buried (I’m looking at you, Brian Gionta and Brendan Gallagher).

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

That’s usually the pass that Markov makes to Pacioretty, not the other way around.

X X X X X X X X X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

49. FlyAngler says:

Just thrilled with last night’s victory! Les Canadiens sont la encore!

Count me in the group that regards Michel Therrien as a very good hockey coach. That said, while I respect him and the especially the job that he is doing in this year’s playoffs, there is nothing wrong with critiquing a coach’s decisions especially if the criticism is meant to be constructive.

Before last night’s game began, NBC did a little focus piece suggesting that DD and Pleks needed to do a better job at center ice for the Habs which I believe was a fair point. Obviously Pleks, set up the winning goal and good on him for doing it, but the point still stands and will be a key going forward. The first line got a goal last night, but DD did not figure in it. To be sure, DD has probably played as hard or harder game in and game out in these playoffs than any one on the team. He has made potentially game saving defensive plays, but the Habs need him and Pleks to make more plays in the Rangers zone.

With 72 hours between games 3 & 4, the Habs have time to try to “fix” some things and one of the things that is most broken is the PP. The PP has been largely ineffective since the Bruins tightened their coverage on the points and neutralized PK and Markov. We need to pose more of a threat down low and that means that the forwards need to be more effective getting the puck to the net instead of waiting for P K and Marky to do it.

Given who has done what so far in these playoffs, I am mystified as to why Eller is not being given an opportunity to center the 1st wave of the PP given the PP’s complete lack of success of late and in this series. He is big, he has good hands and with his size, I think that he can get the puck to the net better than DD or Pleks. I could be missing something or I could just be completely out to lunch. What do you think?

General Marky turning in a very good game and scoring a goal is huge for us I think. P K needs to refocus and concentrate on poise and composure- with and without the puck. He has it in every one of his interviews with the media- we need for him to show it on the ice. He easily could have been called for a penalty for slashing last night before the Rags tied it which is probably why M T took him out before the Rags scored.

Anyway, Les Boys are very much alive and in this series!

50. habs-fan-84 says:

Can fans just call a spade a spade?
    If that’s Gallagher or Galchenyuk (or any Habs player for that matter), who takes that late hit, this whole fan base would be in an uproar calling for suspension (and rightfully so). The head was NOT the PRINCIPAL point of contact, but there was contact. It was also a late and somewhat blind side hit (those hits have to go).

Also, enough with the “theatrics” non-sense, you all sound like a bunch of Dr. Rechi’s. Isn’t it likely Stepan was shook up on that play, but felt better 5-10 minutes later (it’s a rhetorical question, no need to answer)?

Prust will and should be suspended. End of story.
    White hopefully gets his opportunity.

51. PK says:

Couple of days for us to relax before the next game.
    Down 2-1 to the Rangers sounds more hopeful than down 3-2 to the Bruins, no?

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

52. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Finally saw the Prust hit. Shoulder to the chest under his chin, so no targeting of the head. Was it late? Definitely. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a game.

X X X X X X X X X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

53. Phil C says:

Prust’s hit was late, but Stepan is stilling playing and it was otherwise a “clean” hit by NHL standards. I could see him getting a fine or just one game.

I don’t see how Carcillo gets anything but 20 games. He clearly intended to throw the elbow. It seems like a category I automatic suspension to me. Dems da rules.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I – Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player or goalkeeper knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II – Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III – Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

You could argue 10 games, but more likely the 3. The only way he gets more is if they take his 5 prior suspensions into account.

X X X X X X X X X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Phil C says:

It doesn’t fit 10 to me. It’s either 20 or 3. The Rangers could argue that he didn’t intend to elbow him, he was just trying to get free, etc,etc. If they deem he through the elbow on purpose, that is intent to injure, which is automatic 20 games. 10 is when there is no intent to injure.

But then again, the NHL is not always logical, they basically do whatever they want, regardless of the rules.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“with intent to injure” is a bit of a stretch on the 40.2. Carcillo is an ass, but I don’t think he deliberately went out of his way with intentions to injure the official.

IMO 40.3 applies more in this case. He should and probably will get 10 games.

• Phil C says:

When I watch the video, it looks like he threw the elbow on purpose. If it is not intent to injure, what was he doing with his elbow in the linemen’s face, swatting a fly? Wiping a tear away? Practicing a dance move?

• habs-fan-84 says:

Of course he threw an elbow, but I think you’re applying the term “with intent to injure” too loosely. When I hear “intent to injure” I picture a player sucker punching a ref, or taking a two-hander across a refs ankles.

This was more “in the heat of the moment”. I don’t think Carcillo said to himself, “I’m going to injure this ref with my elbow so that he can’t officiate in this series again”.

IMO, intent to injure has more to do with pre-meditation.

• Phil C says:

You may be right. I would think the league would want a zero tolerance policy when it comes to hitting the officials, even if the injury is not severe. A slippery slope once you allow that kind of stuff.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I agree. I just think Category II is most appropriate in this case as it still covers “physical force”, with the caveat “without intent to injure”.

• D Mex says:

Stepan was ready for life support, until he looked up and figured out Prust was not headed for the box. Came back to life in a BIG hurry then.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

Rangers can whine all they want about Prust!, what about the dirty skate forward slide into Price, and the two handed slash on Pk’s ribs. Our best two players out!!

• SPATS says:

Good morning Mr Cobb. It is especially salty for the Rags because they wish Prust was playing on the edge like that in a Blue Shirt.
      I think his hit was late and worthy of a 2 minute minor. The zebras missed it but made up for it on Gally late in the 2nd.

BUT – Prusty’s subsequent tussle (a clear win) and then even more importantly, his antics firing up our boys and pissing off the Rags and their fans may go down as the turning point. Up until then, there wasn’t any hate brewing. Now that they’re pissed they will fall into our trap like Bruins.

You can bet his stock went up substantially in the room after some of his recent lackluster outings.

55. mdp2011 says:

Wow, some people are real douche bags. Michael Del Zotto tweeted that he will be throwing out the first pitch at the Jays game tonight. Brandan Prust, who is good friends with Del Zotto jokingly answered his tweet, but there are NYR rangers fans ripping Prust on twitter calling him a scumbag and other unkind words.

56. dsturge10 says:

While I believe Prust will be suspended for his hit on Stepan (and he should be), I must say that the hit on ELLER in last year’s first round was much worse by Ottawa, with NO suspension being served.

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure.” – Michel Therrien

57. howiemorenz7 says:

That was one fugly game, but I’ll take it. I wonder where the Habs will find the ability to possess the puck more than 35% of the time, if they do that again, Toke won’t keep bailin’ them out, nobody can.

Happiest for Chucky, kid deserves some good fortune and we need him at the top of his game. As for Nathan, he has to stay in, please, no Bully or Cranky and it’s too late to bring back my man JT, game’s too fast for someone who hasn’t played.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

58. Sportfan says:

Going to the Bell Center for game 4 I wonder if they will get sued again.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. Dr.Bob says:

Last nite’s game was the definition of the term winning ugly. The Habs were absolutely brutal in their own end for pretty much the whole game. I don’t know what the final tally was for turnovers but they cannot expect to play like that and win every nite. Special dishonours go to Plekanic and Gionta who were both M.I.A. Kudos to the kid in nets for saving our hydes. Let’s hope he has at least one more like that in him.

60. DipsyDoodler says:

1. From the middle of period 2 we played them completely even.
    2. The Rangers are not an attacking force. They play a suffocating possession style however, and we need to accept that we will have to win 2-1 games from now on.
    3. Tokarski was good but he did not “steal” it. Rags only had 9 shots in each of periods 2 and 3.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Agree on the game being even later in the game.

• mdp2011 says:

I would also like to add that although the Habs lost game-1 7-2, that score really doesn’t reflect the game. While the Habs did come out slow in the first period of that game and were down 2-0 early, they settled down and started to dominate the play in the 2nd. Then Kreider took out Price and Price played the rest of the 2nd period injured. The Habs were dominating the 2nd and made it 2-1. I believe that if Price wasn’t hurt there was a good chance he stops Kreider on the breakway goal that made it 3-1 and would never have allowed the 4th goal seconds later. The Habs should have gone into the 3rd only down 2-1 and anything could have happened. Instead we all know what happened, Price played injured and let in those 2 last minute goals and with Price injured starting the 3rd period, the Habs lost their composure.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I would love to have watched the same games you have been watching mdp2012 I saw the HABS badly outplayed in game #1…….as well in game 2 the Rangers had alot of territorial play….last nights game was similar and even though we won we were outplayed again. If I could I would love to see it the way you did…….I think they call it looking through Rose Colored Glasses

61. WindsorHab-10 says:

Would love to see Ryan White & Travis Moen back in on Sunday. I’m sure they’re eager to play & we can definitely use their toughness. But I don’t think MT will do it.

• SPATS says:

Moen will draw in AFTER Bournival. Prust won’t be suspended. Which leaves White out. Too bad, he brings Prust like energy but isn’t looked at as a leader the way Prust is. I think we may have seen the last of White with the arrival and impact of Weise.

62. PK says:

In Prust We Trust

Suspendable or not, the Habs are usually the ones on the receiving end of these hits. If Prust is gone for a few games, Bourny comes in.

Rags are rattled and whining … good to get into their heads.

Subban, Gionta and co. need to tighten up their game.

Tokarski, Markov had a great game ..

Habs in 6

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

RANGERS do not like the heavy hitting game. They are a free wheeling team that like to move the puck quickly and keeping it on their sticks, three quarters of the time.
    But when Prust and Emilin started to lay on the body, it changed their game.
    We need to make them keep their heads up and thinking.
    4th game is critical again for us.

I was totally disgusted in the last two minuets of the 3rd, that no one attacked the puck. All 5 of our players stood still and played goal tender!!!
    We gave them the puck 35 times in 60 min.
    PK and Gorges were a nightmare!
    Tokarski was not pretty but nicely effective. Prust and DD played a great game.

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree . The Rangers need to be stopped ,bothered,checked and slowed down. If they take up speed ,then they become dangerous because they have the skills to make great plays . But guys like Nash and Richards do not like to be hit and then get rid of the puck as quick as they can.

I feel that we did not play our best game and sunday will be a good occasion to redeem ourselves and getting even in the serie.

We need to start strong ,score quickly and to have a better transition game ,getting the puck out of our zone better than we did so far in that serie.

• New says:

Yeah, Canadiens have a bit of an issue there.

• kalevine says:

agreed about their play at the end of regulation. The thing is, after the go ahead goal the Habs were very aggressive the next minute or so and the Rangers looked gassed, but then once they pulled Lundquist, the Habs went into that passive game where they just concede the puck to the opponent and focus on keeping it out of their net. That strategy doesn’t work. They should stop using the best defensive players in the last 2 minutes and use the guys who want that puck. In game 2 the Habs played desperate with Tokarski pulled for the last few minutes, but the Rangers also defended aggressively.

I’m glad the Habs won and the series is probably where it deserves to be now, but they MUST step up or this win will just be a blip.

64. morning all! Was driving up to Montreal last night and listening to the game on MSG network (XM). If you want to hear homers, that’s the duo. Was almost as bad as Cherry calling out the refs, calling for suspension on Prust, decrying the advantages given to the Habs. I was going to vomit into my passenger seat.

As for the comments below, I give no quarter to the Habs being tired, spent, emotionally drained, etc… Every team that is left competing have gone throug two tough rounds. The Habs only had one. So read the sign in their dressing room, “no excuses”! They either want to be in the SCF, or not. The Rangers have been given free access to our blue line and only Prust took it to them. They need to be rocked as so many of our players can do but haven’t. Take the Rangers train off the track and let our speed and little engines that could in Gally and Briere get the job done.

Hope we don’t sign Vanek.

Let the kids play. They want it more than Gionta, Pleks (who I love, but is stuck in first gear).

I admit, I was holding my breath with ever shot Toker faced, mostly because I don’t know him. Lundqvist is very beatable.

Real simple. If the Habs want this series, they will take it. If not, they’ll be golfing and coming up with tripe one liners on why they beat themselves, because it won’t be the talent on the Rangers that did. Boston was a far better team and if the Habs believe that the Rangers Speed and talent are greater, then so shall it be.

Go out there and Prustify the Rangers gentlemen and we will be in the SCF!!!!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

65. Prop says:

Subban seems to have gotten hurt, hopefully he will be ok for Sunday.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

66. WindsorHab-10 says:

We have a couple of days off. MT needs to emphasize the importance of driving to the net & making life difficult for the King. Good things always happen when you shoot from anywhere & have a body or two in front.

On the PP and with PK’s shot I don’t understand his hesitation & attempts to try & make the perfect pass. You’ve got a canon for a shot, just shoot the damn puck. Big reason for our PP struggles IMO. Now that we won a game, I expect our team to be much better offensively on Sunday.

Prior to the start of this series I was calm & relaxed, figuring we’re playing the Rangers, a nice likeable team. But man, 3 games later & I hate the pukes from Manhattan starting with their head coach & now their Whiner, King Henry. Is there a Ranger that does not wear a visor? WTF. Cherry can’t be too happy with that.

• knob says:

A break-out play that doesn’t include icing would be a good thing to practice too.

• Fansincebirth says:

The Rags have a great PK. As soon as the puck goes to the D-man, there is either someone on him right away or they take away the shot. PK has a cannon so maybe he can pick off one or two guys with a puck to the ankle, knee or another tender body part :)

• knob says:

Everything that NY is doing in the defensive zone is pure anticipation. They are playing to the scouting reports to a tee. Montreal needs to give them a new look and then you will see defenders out of position.

• boing007 says:

PK thinks too much sometimes. Just shoot the puck when it hits your stick. Ask questions later. PK has to become more like a robot.

Richard R

67. Jimmy Page says:

3 great things about Sunday’s game… 2 full nights away…

1. The positive Hab buzz gets to last an extra day through the entire weekend.
    2. The Ranger/Lundqvist coronation talk finally has cold water thrown on it.
    3. The gassed Habs need the extra day rest more than the NYR.

68. Say Ash says:

Rangers fans beginning to panic:

“people are saying we just have to win sunday and relax…there is now way we were gonna sweep this series anyway… etc…etc

what you’re all failing to realize is that this was a game that should have been won easily and failing to capitalize on a situation like that is bad…real bad. That’s why people are upset. Had we played poorly the result would have been more tolerable but they played well enough to score 5 goals and didn’t put them away when we had the chance…You guys know this is that this is the Rangers we are talking about right? We just handed Montreal some life when we DOMINATED and failed to win…**** like this comes back at you

And everyone stop saying ” we just gotta win Sunday ” like it’s no big thing because I can tell you all right now if we don’t win Sunday you will all be looking back at this game negatively instead of you all being optimistic about our situation right now”

69. Butterface says:

Couple of things really tick me off…

1) The Prust hit should not be be anything. Hit square in the chest first contact. It may be a late hit, but this in not suspend-able. The fact these clowns in NY are whining about it means they know there was nothing wrong with it. They are trying to garner sympathy from the league.

It is pathetic and ironic…. because

2) If the league won’t suplimentary disapline a skate first kick/charging/goalie interference penalty where a team’s number one player is knocked out of the Stanley Cup Playoffs…. then certainly they are not going to call a late shoulder to chest bump after the player had played the puck. If they do, it will be a farce.

Crytear splits the defence at 30 mph 8 feet in front of Price. He has no opportunity to swerve to miss at 8 feet 30 mph.

He then falls (accidentally or on purpose but it should not matter) skate first at our goalie at this breakneck speed.

He went into the crease on his own accord.

He injured the opposing teams best player causing him to miss Stanley Cup Playoff games.

If this isn’t suspend-able then the league should run away fast on a shoulder to chest first contact late hit where the player come right back into the game and runs around hitting our players the rest of the game.

3) Then during game #3 there is no mention when Tokarski has his head hit in the crease when Nash?? skates through after missing the net on a shot.

That maybe should be warranted of a second look by the league as it is a pattern for this NY Ranger team.

4) The absolute bullsh!t call in game #2 for Galchenyuk tripping when clearly the Ranger player skates into Galchenyuk’s feet. The puck was going for a 2 on 1 in the Canadiens favour, but because of this lousy call the Habs get scored on on the PP.

5) The abslute bullsh!t call on Gallagher for “roughing” at the end of the second period in Game #3. He gets slashed, then ridden hard into the boards…. comes out and barely pushes McDontknow and Gallagher receives a penalty ? I have seen way worse pushbacks after a hit in this and every other series and that minor push gets called ?? – not the blatant slash McDontknow inflicts prior ?

The Rangers then whine about things ?

If the league wants to keep goalies safe they have to suspend players that make plays that end up injuring goalies where the player went to the crease without being driven there by a defending player. Sure it is a hockey play to go to the net, but if you don’t have a bail out plan or your bail out plan catches an accidental edge, you should be suspended for a minimum number of games or the length the opposing injured player is out.

In the case of Crytear he would still be sitting.

Tokarski played great last night. Let’s hope he can perform at the same high standards we expected Price to. Last night he was Price. Maybe better. Maybe.

Game 4 will be a huge turning point for the series if Montreal wins…but then every game in the Stanley Cup Playoffs is….

Montreal played three weak games against Boston (they won 1)… So far they have played 2 weak games against NY (they won this one)….. they have to improve.

All night the Habs were losing offensive end side-board battles. We need to take the puck into the offensive zone down the middle.

I am angry.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

70. As someone who’d like to see those kinds of BS hits thrown out of the game for good, I think Prust deserves 10-15+ games…

…but as someone who’s sadly resigned to the NHL’s tolerance of players bludgeoning each other’s heads, and in the context of other players getting a slap on the wrist for far worse hits, I can’t see Prust getting more than 1-2 games, especially in the playoffs.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• knob says:

Prust is fine. Stepan’s head was not the principle point of contact and I think that it would be hard to prove an intent to injure. It was a late hit that never got penalized. Wasn’t the first time and won’t be the last time we see a late hit that goes unpenalized.

• Butterface says:

You are absolutely nuts. The hit, though late, was not to the head. It was a hockey hit. He should have been penalized for 2 minutes either for roughing or interference. End of case.

Moral of the story is “don’t enjoy watching your pass get to the tape of your team-mate. Be aware of your surroundings…oh yeah and never run a goalie and expect tea and cookies for the rest of the series.”

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• New says:

If the hit had been on a Montreal player the all knowing commentariat would have pointed out how the guy took the hit to make the play. There wasn’t a penalty because one was not called for. When Prust went to his bench Stephan recovered immediately and was furious, then got sent to the quiet room.

Now none of that will stop the League from doing what they want to do but you saw a bit of the Rangers character last night. Shoving refs, whining, faking it, skating into the unoccupied crease full tilt and clipping goalies. They didn’t get this far by not having a chip on their shoulders.

The Rangers played a much better game than the Canadiens. Canadiens won. The only real question is are the Rangers getting as tired as the Canadiens were or are the Canadiens getting as rested as the Rangers were.

71. montreal ace says:

I am really tired of seeing Gally getting knocked down after the whistle, I look forward to the day I see less. Who was the player that was face to face with Tokarski, taunting and giving him small pushes, Boyle?, that was a real Avery move. I don’t think there were enough towels in the arena, to stop the Ranger tears, talk about a bunch of cry babies

• boing007 says:

Weise is not playing at the same level that he was during the Bruins series. Bad linemate combination?

Richard R

• Fansincebirth says:

Ya, it was Boyle pulling the Averyish move. Nash got in Toker’s grill later in the 3rd too.

• bjmmn says:

Gally may get knocked down a lot, but he gets right the hell back up with that …-eatin’ grin on his face. I like to think that ticks off opponents more than what caused them to knock him down in the first place…

72. Jimmy Page says:

Saskatchewan… the land of excellent gutsy hockey players… the whole prairie region actually. Tokarski has given the Canadiens a chance to finally rest and recover from the gruelling Bruin series. The NYR have shown their best… Montreal is about to.