About last night …

PriceonBear

Hey, maybe they can have a Presidents’  Trophy parade.

Your Montreal Canadiens won game 7.
Even better, the Boston Bruins lost.
Hockey fans can look forward to an Eastern Conference final that doesn’t include Brad Marchand’s stick work or Claude Julien’s whining.
Bonus: The most annoying fans in the NHL can spend the rest of this spring watching their Red Sox.
Meanwhile, 500 km north of the dark and lonely TD Garden, the playoffs continue.
And it’s beginning to smell a little like 1993.

One note before we bid a not-so-fond farewell to Bruins: Milan Lucic talked smack to Dale Weise and Alexei Emelin in the handshake line. He reportedly told Weise: ”I’m going to fucking kill you next year.”

Such a putz.

Crying Julien

Such a classy bunch.

And now they’re en vacances.

But enough about the losers.

In his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien lauded a “great accomplishment.”

“We just beat the best team in the league,” the coach added. “We showed a lot of character and a lot of passion.”

When someone asked Therrien about the pump-up speech Carey Price gave his teammates between the second and third periods, the coach sheepishly admitted he’d missed it. But the dressing room oratory, Therrien said, was evidence of Price’s leadership.

To update a stat cited in the live game blog, Price has played in five elimination games in 2014: three at the Sochi Olympics, plus Games 6 and 7 against Boston. He’s faced 127 shots and stopped 125 of them.

Price under pressure: 5-0, with a goals-against average of 0.40 and a save percentage of .984.

Yeah, pretty good goaltending. And having beaten Tuukka rask, Price moves on to face Henrik Lundqvist in a duel of goaltenders who were snubbed as Vezina Trophy finalists. Lundqvist hasn’t won in Montreal since March 17, 2009. He is 4-5-2 with a 3.87 GAA and .876 save percentage lifetime at Bell Centre.

The Rangers series will also be a battle of number 67s: Max Pacioretty vs. former Canadien (and Bruin) Benoit Pouliot.

And P.K. Subban,the Canadiens’ second-round draft choice (43rd overall) vs. their first-round, 12th overall pick, Ryan McDonagh.

And Therrien vs. the coach he succeeded in 2000, Alain Vigneault.

Plus the class of the undersized old guys, Brian Gionta vs. Martin St. Louis.

Oh, the Eastern Conference final is going to be fun – not least because the Canadiens and Rangers are fast, skilled teams that stick to hockey. We may see Brandon Prust and Derek Dorsett joust a bit, but George Parros won’t be needed in the series.

Nor will Douglas Murray. Nathan Beaulieu has played two NHL playoff games and won them both. He should be in the lineup against the Rangers, along with his D partner Mike Weaver, who was heroic in the Boston series.

Therrien praised the work ethic and attitude of his team in Game 7. The Canadiens were outshot 30-18 and territorially dominated for agonizingly long stretches of the game. But they didn’t panic , and the only mental error was Max Pacioretty holding Dougie Hamilton’s stick in the Bruins’ zone, drawing a penalty during which Jarome Iginla deflected a Torey Krug shot past Price to make it a 2-1 game.

With a chance to seize momentum, however, the Bruins took a penalty late in the second period and another in the third, setting up the Daniel Brière goal that drove a dagger into their season.

The latter infraction was Johnny Boychuk’s interference on Michäel Bournival, a kid whose speed bedevilled Boston. early in the series, Bournival also got in a good whack on Zdeno Chara’s hand. The Bruins’ defenceman rarely flashed his Norris Trophy finalist form thereafter.

With Dennis Seidenberg out of the lineup and Chara playing hurt, Boston was left with a young, inexperienced defence corps that had a very difficult time coping with the Canadiens’ speed and forechecking tenacity – both qualities showcased on the Brandon Prust and Daniel Brière plays that produced the game’s first goal.

It was scored by Dale Weise. The late-season acquisition – Thank you, John Tortorella, for not liking this guy – has scored three times in the playoffs; and the Canadiens have won each game.

Marc Bergevin was in the hallway leading to the dressing room after the game. The jubilant general manager hugged each player as he came off the ice.

Bergevin has a right to celebrate. In the second year of this proud franchise’s latest rebuild, the Canadiens are among the Final Four vying for the Stanley Cup.

Beating the Rangers won’t be easy. They’re a fast, talented and well-coached team.

Lundqvist was spectacular against Pittsburgh. St. Louis is inspirational. And McDonagh …

Ah, why spoil a warm, happy mid-May day in Montreal by thinking about Ryan McDonagh – except to say if he were paired with P.K. …

OK, I’ll stop.

A happier note: On L’Antichambre, Vincent Damphousse said this year’s postseason is starting to remind him of 1993.

The Penguins, led by Sidney Crosby, are out – as were Mario Lemieux’s Pittsburgh team in ’93. Ditto the Bruins, who had Raymond Bourque then and Chara now.

Can Carey Price duplicate Patrick Roy’s 1993 heroics?

At least he’ll get a chance to try.

• A not from my man Mike ZieglerDanny Briere had 2 points tonight on 9 shifts (8:06 TOI). That’s a point on 22% of his shifts. Also has 7 points in 5 career game 7s, and has a 4-1 record.

• Is P.K. happy?

1. BJ says:

Don’t know if its been mentioned, first game Saturday with a 13:00 start good for us on this side of the pond.

2. frozengolf says:

Is there a video of MB hugging the players after the game? I can’t seem to find it.

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

3. Luke says:

What a wonderful morning.
    The storm wasn’t 1/2 as bad we thought it was going to be.
    Now that we’ve killed the Bear, we just have to get past the Park Ranger.

4. Jimmy Page says:

A Damn outstanding performance!

The best and biggest win in 21 years, as this version of the CH has a real shot at the SC finals. Not to take a thing a thing away from the NYR, but the Habs are jelling, united, well-balanced, and injury free.

100 points + the 3rd round + sending the dirty B’s packing = what a great season!

• DavidKB says:

2010 was more exciting with big wins against Washington and Pittsburgh, but I’d have to agree that this is a bigger win because of the greater potential than in 2010 of getting to the final.

5. Ton says:

Montreal is deep…….Boulion, Murray, Beaulieu are parts of the puzzle and could see action this series. Chuck as well! Are the rangers a faster team than the bruins?

6. rljmartin says:

Never in doubt right? last night I posted that when the rat jabbed Pleks that the game was in the bag…. no way a low-life like that could win…. poetic justice and voila!

Then we hear about #17′s antics…. don’t even want to write it’s name….. more poetic justice.

This final point goes out to all the MT supporters who posted so many times this year in the face of criticism of MT especially after a stinker or a few losses. So many posters reminded everyone about how MT was doing just great considering what he had to work with and not much more could be expected. In fact, according to many, Habs were already performing above expectation. Well, the moral of the story is never sell anyone short, a lot of us wanted to see more, hope to see more. I guess we are all happy now and for our Habs…. GO GET THE CUP!

7. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! The Wolverine poked The Bear, ate his Lunch then sh#t in his Den. As it should be. No amount of growling could stop The Mojo.The Rat has gone back in his hole and the Ape Man will be dealt with by members of The Tribe of Hockey for disrespect. Nature Runs it’s course. Saludos!

8. habs-fan-84 says:

I just hope the fans don’t underestimate the Rangers.
    St. Louis will be motivated like Briere in 2010 and Lunquvist is also the real deal. I believe the Habs will prevail, but this won’t be the cakewalk some people are making it out to be.

GO HABS GO!!

Edit: On a side note, I was happy to wake and hear there were no embarrassing riots in Montreal last night.

9. jimmy shaker says:

Where is the 24CH now? This is the perfect time to go behind the scenes with the team. Can we get our people on here to work with their people and get something put together please? Get back to me and let me know.

Shaker out!

• stephen says:

Hi jimmy,

As much as I have enjoyed some of the 24CH coverage, I wouldn’t want all of that fuss surrounding the team through the playoffs. Let them focus on the task at hand, no?

10. ooder says:

my favorite part.. the refs finally giving marchand what he desrevers.. that penalty for icing price was the icing on the cake. The refs have been calling that all playoffs, but marchand is too stupid to stop himself

11. jimmy shaker says:

Hi all: just wanted to toot my own horn on here today, after what I posted on the site yesterday morning before game 7! It all came to pass!

Comment on Bell Centre sells out for fans to watch Game 7 from Boston (2014-05-14 09:22:28)
    I’ll take a patch opening goal of the game, in which when he scores the boys are 27W and 2 L and a lead going into the third period where they’ve only lost 1 time this year in about 35 games. (mind you the one loss came in game 2 of this series). Then a danny B goal to ice it with Price staying in his zone and taking it home. Montreal would have home ice to start vs the rangers. And I’ve been checking out the NESN site just to see how bad they are over there with their ridiculous headlines and portrayal of the habs. Absolutely crap! NESN, edwards, see bass, lucheese, 4 min man thornton, the puke marchand, lurch, michelin man julien etc etc etc all the way down to the NESN reporters. WOW, is all I’ve got to say! Shaker out!

12. Cal says:

The poll question is ridiculous.
    There are fans in Montreal parading around with a Cup every playoff game. ;)

13. habsfan0 says:

I hope the Habs aren’t looking past the Rangers to the Blackhawks.

14. habs001 says:

The Ranger roster does not look that loaded…Only 3 forwards are under 6 feet and those are are pretty good forwards…Carcillo is their closest to Marchand…Zuccarello is a forward that can cause problems..13 non Canadian players on their roster that is on their site out of 26 players listed…

Lots of links in here to stories on Habs/Bruins, for those looking to read more about the great victory!

16. habs-fan-84 says:

Beautiful!
    How great was it to see Bergevin standing there in the tunnel congratulating and hugging the boys. Great to see PK jump over to MB!

Love it, and am happy to say I told ya so ;) Proud to say I didn’t give up on this team after last Saturday.

Half way there, now the challenge begins.

Didn’t PG do the same thing in 2010? ;-)

• gmur says:

Loved the PK and Bergevin dance.

What does the CBC braintrust do with PJ Stock now? What a keen, insightful hockey mind that simpleton has. Sharp as a bag of marbles.

He has consistently said PK is an over-rated defenceman. Norris, leading his team into round 3… wow.

• Strummer says:

I like PJ Stock for entertainment value.
        I don’t recall him ever saying Subban was overrated just that there were some dressing room problems with his teammates.

Anyway how boring would it be with 5 guys sitting around a table agreeing with everything and stating the sames points over and over?

PJ’s battles with the rest of the panel keep it entertaining.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

If his arguments displayed a smidgeon of intelligence, I might agree with you. HNIC likes thug Bruin hockey. I am so glad they are history.

17. Habfan10912 says:

Lucic getting hammered in the press and radio this morning. Ain’t going away. We’ll hear a hollowed apology written by some PR guy sometime this morning. Something similar to his “I don’t know why I do it” after his spear in jewels incidents

18. mrhabby says:

hahahaha..love it . no matter what happens the rest of the way i will have an excellent spring and summer knowing we beat the supreme dbags and there horrible fans. what can you say about Lucic and the rest of them. My hate for the bruins knows no boudaries. See ya Cam Neely.

Don Cherry is in dark room weeping.

Rangers and Habs..expect some low scoreing games due to great goaltending. Its really a close series again.

Kind of wonder if Rangers try throw a curveball and start Diaz in their defence rotation against us. Habs will have a mental hurdle getting ready for this next series. The Boston vs Montreal series is unique, and it required the players to sell out completely. There will be mental and physical fatigue. I am hopeful this team can relax for a day and then get re-focused on the new task at hand.

Any overconfidence against a team with a goalie as good as Lundquist could be trouble.

• hansolo says:

I hope they do start Diaz. And Pouliot as well. We know their weaknesses. Diaz will crumble against the forecheck and Pouliot will start tripping over the blueline again.

• Luke says:

They should start Diaz in net.

His strong puck possession & retreival skills correlate to fewer rebounds.

20. Thomas Le Fan says:

Lucic? The best thing about a poor loser is the loser part. Ha!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

21. Bash says:

The series could have gone 4-1 Habs except for 6minutes from hell and an OT F..up.
    But it is curiously amusing and disturbing watching the bullies at work. When the little guy pushes back and the bully is not allowed to “kill” him (because in pro hockey we just spear, crosscheck and bite earlobes in the playoffs but never fight) he promises retribution after school.
    Maybe it will be drive by assault ramming the victim’s head into a stanchion, or perhaps bouncing a head off the ice…but he will “kill” him.

Now that seems like a serious threat to me.
    Smells like a Bertuzzi to me.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

22. gmur says:

The last two games have been pretty easy to analyze. No passengers at any time, and Price was outstanding.

Pacioretty got going when he had to, there was timely scoring from support players, solid play in our own end and good forechecking in the Bruins end.

Weise, Weaver and Vanek? Tell me we would be where we are this fine morning without them. Kudos to Bergevin for his work. Weise is the kind of player we need in MTL… passionate about being a Montreal Canadien. Haven’t really seen that from a support player since Steve Begin. Willing to get dirty, eat the boards and come out smiling. Same for Gallagher, but he’s more than a support player. He’ll have to get going against the Rangers.

If I’m the Rangers, here’s the problem: Who do you check? Who do you put a lesser line out against? Balanced scoring makes it hard for an opposing coach to strategize.

Hey Lucic, shut yer yap. You may not have noticed, but the time to be angry and intense is over. Go spear some of your teammates in the privates from behind on the golf course, you unprofessional, adolescent, whiny idiot.

• 24 Cups says:

The player I feel sorry for is Louis Leblanc. The arrival of Weise pretty well means Leblanc is on the move next fall. His only chance now is to maybe catch on as the 14th forward. You also have to wonder if White’s days as a Hab are numbered. Maybe he stays on as the 13th guy.

24.6 Cups

• hansolo says:

It sounds like Leblanc was told to bulk up and work on his skating but didn’t. When he was sent down to Hamilton after training camp, he didn’t set the place on fire. Weise isn’t a goal scorer but Leblanc is. Leblanc should be running rings around Weise. It looks like he didn’t seize his opportunity when he had a chance to.

• Paz says:

Sorry, where did you get all of this?

• hansolo says:

As to his not being a gym rat, from several sources, including EOTP at the beginning of the season and our very own UCE’s blog.

As to his stats in Hamilton, they are a matter of public record. When it comes to scoring on the ‘Dogs, he was behind Pateryn (a defenceman), Andrighetto (a rookie) and a luminary like Mike Blunden.

Player GP G A
            Martin St. Pierre 71 10 38
            Sven Andrighetto 64 17 27
            Mike Blunden 68 18 19
            Gabriel Dumont 74 19 17
            Greg Pateryn 68 15 19
            Louis Leblanc 70 13 15

• Paz says:

Thanks. Neither EOTP or UCE have any clue about Louis, and they should not be counted as real sources. A blog is not a source.

Louis Leblanc is a gym rat. He works his tail off 12 months a year, and he always has been this way since he hit midget hockey as a 15 year old.

Louis’s problem is NOT his gym habits.

That’s total nonsense and complete baloney.

He was asked, according to Louis, to become a 3rd or 4th line checker, and this did not suit him. He’s always been a scorer, and he has had trouble accepting this role. That is sourced directly from Louis himself.

Unless Moen is moved, I also worry about White. And it isn’t that White did anything wrong, but indeed with the arrival of Weise, White’s role became less important.

I am hopeful he still feels a part of this team and that he wants to stay. Who knows, we may get an injury and White steps in, plays well and we don’t have this conversation.

23. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOORNING HOCKEY FANS

I was so nervous. We had a social to go to (party) for our friend’s daughter who was going to Paris next year. It was a Bud,Spud, and Steak party (I didn’t drink Bud I drank Coors, it’s a light beer so I can could more) so I was in a room of over 200 middle aged people who cheer for the Jets. You don’t know me, but I can get a room going and by the end of the second I had the room chanting go habs go.

I’m a hockey fan, I coach, I play, and every time I shoot a puck I shoot to win. It’s so much fun that when I see crap like how the Bruins acted this series It pains me. I worked my behind off yesterday shipping all day so I could spend today talking hockey, and having fun. I’m putting together a little montage called don’t Poke the Bear. People like Don Cherry just don’t have a clue, CLUELESS! No one outside of the Montreal media gave this team a chance, and now they’re all paying for it.
    I even have my Toronto Maple Leaf fans coming over Saturday afternoon to watch the game with me because they see how special this series was.

There is zero pressure on us now, nothing except playing goal for Montreal is harder than playing the Bruins, regular season or playoffs, every game to us is important because History is where rivalries are made and Lessons are learned.

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators

24. hansolo says:

Before game 6 in this series, poster Subban in Sochi and I both referenced 1970-71, the year we both became Habs fans. We both saw the Habs take down the Bruins that year. The Bruins that year had the most points, most goals, most powerplay goals and it was a foregone conclusion they would win the Cup.

To me, this feels not like 1993 (apologies to Vincent Damphousse) but 1971. It would be splendid if the Rangers played the role the Minnesota North Stars played that year (Habs won in 6) and if the Habs met the Blackhawks in the final this year (in ’71, they beat the Hawks in game 7 in Chicago).

I owe this year’s edition of the Habs an apology. I said before game 6 that the ’70-’71 edition, with Beliveau, the Mahovlich brothers, Cournoyer, J C Tremblay and Guy Lapointe was a better team than this one. I had no basis to say that. This year’s team is something special.

GHG!

25. Mr_MacDougall says:

Vanek had his moments last night, but his greatest value was allowing Gionta to move down with Eller (who had his best stretch of games a a a Hab IMO)

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

26. Mr_MacDougall says:

My “play of the game candidate” is the Gionta back heck on a 2 on 1 In the 3rd period where he dove and swept the puck out of the Habs zone without coming close to taking a penalty!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

27. JohnBellyful says:

O somewhere fans are singing, And somewhere players shout
    But there’s no joy in Mugville, All their lockers they’ve cleaned out

28. montrealtilldeath says:

Question??? Where is Jean Beliveau? Is he sick?

29. 24AW says:

One thing I can say from management on down this team is all class I can’t say the same for Boston and that is because of a few players and a few fans they are classless and all whom watched the playoffs will remember and so will the other 29 Teams in the NHL.

30. Paz says:

Like most people I’ve always admired speed in sports. That was the brilliance of acquiring Weisse. He and Bournival and Beaulieu! give us so much more speed we are taking it to them, pressuring them, and reeking freakin havoc.

I haven’t seen this much speed in Montreal since the Spos had Leflore, Scott, Dawson, at the top of their order.

Speed is very tough to contain. It gets you to loose pucks, it gets you in on the forecheck, it lets you catch the puck carrier, it lets you skate away from a checker, and the list goes on and on.

We learned a valuable lesson after game 5.

Play to our strength, speed!!

31. Hobie says:

Boy is this a great feeling. We just knocked out the Boston Bruins folks. Four years of pain and suffering is over! I can’t believe we actually did it!

32. Habfan17 says:

I just listened to the team1200 in Ottawa. Pierre McGuire basically just took credit for the Habs adding more character and as a result, their success! He was saying that during his job interview, he told Molson that he may not like the players he brings in, but that they need to add character players or they will be a dazzling team during the season and will fizzle in the playoffs! He then does say that Bergevin did a good job bringing in Weaver and Weise. Kind of a back handed way to take credit, ot perhaps prove that he knew what was needed and wants to let other owners know it hoping to land a vacant GM position. Either way, it was in very poor taste!

Habfan17

33. montrealtilldeath says:

My last comments are on our CBC game coverage. Their grudging attitude of support to the Habs is so obvious. I’ve watched RDS for years and have a built in aversion to the CBC crew. I watch a little of the intermission commentary on CBC and find it appalling. The little I saw had a Bruins bias. Last year when it was the Leafs they were in glory. I have memories of the Expos driving to the pennant tied for the lead, every game important in the September run. Turn on the CBC game of the week and find out the network is showing a Blue Jays (48-92) game. Need I say more

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I avoid HNIC as much as possible. They really have no interest in NHL hockey beyond Leafland.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

There was a lot of Hab praise at the second intermission.. Took 6 games and 2 periods.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Dust says:

not true. they have been praising the habs all playoffs. They also praise the other team. CBC tries to talk about both teams, which i personnaly like.
        If you want a homer broadcast go watch RDS.
        For me i like to watch game coverage that will talk about both teams. Plus i think Friedman is the best at what he does. I also like Weekes a lot.
        To each their own.
        Enjoy the playoffs. I know I have. Go Habs GO

• Try NBC. All Bruins, all the time, some attempt at bringing in the Habs, but oh my, color was all about oh the Bruins just missed, this or that. Turned on TSN 690, but the delay was a problem.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Dust says:

please there are two guys on cbc that dont like the habs in healy and cherry. The rest are very neutral and have good and bad things to say about both teams

34. jacquesthemonkey says:

I dislike the Bruins as much as any Habs fan, but seriously there are only a few players on the team that are truely detestable, ie, Lucic, Marchand and Thornton. Beyond that they are no worse than any other team in the league. Who wouldn’t want Bergeron on their team? The Leafs, now that’s a team to hate. Lots of players to dislike there.

35. Old Bald Bird says:

ICYMI Rats cheap shot on Pleks

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Was that game 7? If so, that’s why they lost, lack of focus.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• JohnBellyful says:

I think referring to a person as a rodent is demeaning and not very classy. Perhaps he is who he is because of a poor upbringing, a genetic defect, a chemical imbalance in the the brain, or a player drafted by an organization without scruples — all things over which he has no control.

36. BJ says:

Just finished watching the stream and to witness that the work done on the astral plane was successful. Such a great team effort, wow! It will be a different type of series vs Rangers. The team seems very focused and I feel confident that we should take this in 6 games. But today is for enjoyment and relaxation, the boys have a day of well earned rest. Some prepping on Friday and game on Saturday.

37. Captain aHab says:

I remember a couple years back a game the Habs won in a shootout with Price making the last save and doing the Hulk Hogan pose. I remember thinking at the time that we finally had Roy’s heir apparent. Then his game went south and allegations about nocturnal activities started and I was worried we might have lost him.

Boy was I wrong and right at the same time. Next year slap an A on his jersey and give Subban the C with another A to a vet.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

38. HankHardball says:

The speed of play in a Habs / Rangers series might be too fast for real time viewing.

39. Walmyr says:

Great day folks!
    Let’s enjoy…and forget about Lucy’s behavior because I believe Dale Weise and Emelin already forgot. Lucy and the big bad bruins (???) just don’t deserve so much attention…

CHeers!!!

40. bolder says:

Great win! F*** lucy and his threats and Cherry with his “don’t poke the bear” rants!

41. Fansincebirth says:

Funny….watching the hand shaking last night and my wife said “I wonder what the say to each other when they shake hands?”
    I said “stuff like good game, good series, good luck etc”

Wow….was I wrong. What a POS Luchump is and to think I actually hoped we could pick him up and stick him in a Habs jersey. I’d rather see him wither and die in Boston.

From a Boston fan I know here “I hope the Mtl team bus crashes and they all die”. Classy….

42. boing007 says:

A novel idea in reply to Kerry Fraser’s TSN column:
    lindorf53
    4 hours ago

I don’t support the ‘pick just one player’ idea. The better way to send this message would be to penalize every player that touches another player after the whistle blows, every time. Imagine if 20 seconds into the game there is a scrum with all 10 skaters pushing and shoving and all ten players are penalized – that would set the tone for the rest of the game.

I agree. Send them all to the penalty box. Next line, please.

Richard R

43. montrealtilldeath says:

The images that stand out for me last night were Gionta’s back check on the Boston 2 on 1 and Bournival’s speed mesmerizing Johnny Boychuk creating the late penalty. To me they are testimony to the Habs effort overall.

PS I forgot the image of a tired and haggard Chara which I saw in previous games but it really stood out last night.

• Captain aHab says:

My best image from the series is Price flipping the puck to Krug after making a stop on him. That was Price…less.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Luci trying to pretend that ‘Crushing” hip check by Markov did not hurt. He skated in the words of the immortal Gallivan “gingerly” to the bench.

44. Habsbill24 says:

When Lucic joined the Bruins he requested #17 because it matched his IQ. I heard that instead of playing golf next week Thornton is going to a water park.

45. UKRAINIANhab says:

O happy day! O happy day!!! Today we celebrate! Tomorrow we regroup!

46. Dodger says:

Instead of “I’m going to Disneyworld”……Milan The Missing Link should be saying..”I’m Going to Dr. Phil”………………………..

47. Habfan17 says:

I read the article on TSn ” Habs Eliminate rival Bruins” In it Lucic says that if Weise wants to make public what he said, to go ahead and be a baby! What is said on the ice, stays on the ice.

What he is really saying is please don’t rat me out! I am the big baby, a very sore loser, and a sucky poor sport! I don’t know if it is steroids or not, but this guy needs to get help! If the best he can say is I don’t why I am a coward and spear players in the pills. Then go out and threaten players during the handshake saying I am going to f-ing kill you! He is sad!! Maybe the Bruins need to think twice about having him around! The risk is pretty high he will do something really stupid one day!

Habfan17

Those who haven’t seen it, here is Lucic with his comments to Weise and Emelin.

Oops just saw that 24Cups already posted.

49. montrealtilldeath says:

Bournival “the closer” “the disrupter”. I know he is just a rookie with tunnel vision on the ice but in my opinion he really gives this team the extra something needed in the playoffs; intense RELENTLESS forechecking and explosive speed. Not a lot of points but his intimidating speed mesmerized Johnny Boychuk creating the penalty resulting in Briere’s “dagger in the heart” PP goal. His closing speed on the puck carrier and his strength in coming up with the puck in puck battles is truly amazing. He was the rookie that instantly stood out for me in pre-season.

50. JF says:

I can’t remember when a victory felt this good. I haven’t stopped smiling since last night, couldn’t sleep, can’t stop reading about the game and watching replays. I think I’ll do nothing today but bask in the glow.

51. Marc10 says:

The Ape, the Rat, the Cave Troll and… the Waterboy are all on vacation today. Bonne vacances ma gang de salauds!

Suivant. Next!

52. SUMO says:

I don’t want to pile on but what Lucic did was not just immature but disrespectful to the sport of Hockey. One of The game’s greatest time honoured traditions is the handshake at the end of the series. None of the other major team sports has such a show of respect and sportsmanship for your opponent. It was such a great series because the Bruins were a worthy adversary.

Both sides left everything on the ice but you win and lose with dignity. If you cannot deal with defeat then its better to not participate in the handshake at all and just go to the locker room.

If you listened to Pierre Maguire’s interview with PK Subban at the end of the game, Maguire even alluded that Lucic also had strong words with with PK in the handshake line as well; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsHFJPcsFA

I really hope someone in the NHL, or Bruins Mgt or even one of their leaders like Chara or Thornton speaks to Mr “Do you know who I am”. The traditional handshake is meant to be a sacred show of respect. Its a shame that a team that won the cup in 2011 could not behave like champions in defeat.

53. Captain aHab says:

Enough about the Bruins…on to the Rags.

The one guy the Habs need to hit and annoy constantly is Pouliot…he tends to lose his shiot from time to time and that could generate some PPs. And put someone quick on St-Louis.

This will be a hockey series instead of MMA on ice.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Would be great if Galchenyuk is ready for this series, he is exactly the kind of player we need for the upcoming series. Rangers have a great goalie with some good talent. We may have knocked off the best team in hockey, but now the boys need to regather themselves.

Nothing is easy in the playoffs, go get ‘em boys!!!

• 24 Cups says:

Who would he replace? The only two options I could see would be Bournival on the left wing or Briere with Bournival taking Briere’s spot.

I say Galchenyuk sits until the need arises.

24.6 Cups

• Captain aHab says:

I would think it would be near the end of that series before we might see him in there.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• 24 Cups says:

Captain – Rick Nash has one goal in 26 playoff games for the Rangers. Is that good news or an omen that this guy is due? In theory, Nash should be the Rangers answer to MaxPac. We’ll see how it all pans out because NY has a solid line-up. Their only real weakness might be their bottom three defensemen.

Emelin/Weaver/Beaulieu
      vs.
      Stralman/Klein/Moore

24.6 Cups

• Captain aHab says:

Watching him play, his hockey IQ doesn’t seem that high….would I want him for a breakaway? Sure…but the rest of his game seems weak right now.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

54. Habies says:

This morning I woke up in Denmark and went on my balcony. I saw three Bruins in the forms of bananas. So, I smashed them all in three different ways. I recommend everyone to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVZc65Uog8&feature=youtu.be

Did the Bruins beat Price on one clean shot? I only recall goals going in off deflections. I suppose in Game 5 they may have, but aside from that game Price had the Bruins completely under wraps.

Price is a tremendous player, and to hear that he helped the boys with some words of wisdom between periods shows what a leader he is.

56. Marc10 says:

Dale Weise. You beauty! What a pick up! I trust the design for the statue is well underway…

57. Adidess says:

So last night wasn’t a dream? We actually sent the Bruins packing and are moving on to the ECF, with a chance to play for the Cup? What a season so far!

Thank you Price! Thank you team!

58. HankHardball says:

Great team victory for the Canadiens.

Take the day to savour the sweetness of triumph over the Bruins disrespect.

Then get ready for the Broadway Blue Shirts.

59. Maritime Ronn says:

Jarome Iginla has now morphed into Jarome Uglyinla.

Once upon a time he appeared to be a nice classy fella until he leaped to the dark side on his fanatasy Cup chasing tour.
    Hopefully it was the Mob Mentality that got to him and not who he really is.
    Get out of there, Jarome….before it’s too late.

60. CharlieHodgeFan says:

So the habs beat the Bruins, and they didn’t even have Cherry to allow a too many men. All right.

Not to dwell on negatives, but watching the Lucic post-game – that is a scarily limited man. He spoke like a Grade seven big kid caught fighting – like he was right on the edge of grasping cause and effect but didn’t want to think it applied to him. I have seen that look so many times after I broke up fights between little boys.
    On a human level, it was disturbing – change his word ‘ice’ for ‘playground’ and you have the scenario in a nutshell. Creepy behavior for a grown man. I know, no surprise if I’m being a partisan Habs fan. But if I’m just being a guy looking at the actions of another guy – yikes.

61. dano58 says:

Global Warming is Officially here!!!
    Bears are Hibernating in the Summer!!!

GO HABS GO!!!

“Always looking to better my team.”-M/B

Has Julien told himself enough untruths that he is actually believing himself? Are we really to believe that Lucic scored that empty netter and skated from center ice beating his chest, that he was actually referencing Boston Strong? It is very sad to actually listen to Julien where it seems he has actually started to believe his own B.S.

The only thing better than seeing the decisive goal go in off Chara’s foot would have been it going in off Marchand’s nose or Lucic’s nuts. Not to mention Julien’s bald head.

I’m just so elated to see the Four Riders of the Apocalypse finally get what they deserve.

24.6 Cups

64. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

May 17, 2014 1:00 PM ET.
    Hopefully this changes.
    Why would we play an afternoon game in our own barn ?

65. Curtis O Habs says:

Brace yourselves for the CBC/Marty St.Louis Love Fest.

• Cal says:

RDS all the way with the mute button handy for when Benoit Bruinet spouts his anti-Hab drivel.

• Mike Boone says:

Hey, easy on Benny! He’s a good Ste. Anne de Bellevue guy who speaks his mind and holds players to high standards.

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• Captain aHab says:

I used to play softball against him when he was on the Bar Le Boum roster ;-)

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Captain aHab says:

Absolutely. Can’t wait for Cherry to remind us how he’s a great Canadian boy while calling him Martine San Luis.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

66. Maritime Ronn says:

Torey? Dougie?

How’s that , ” Shoot high on Price weak spot” working out for y’all this AM?

• Cal says:

Baaaaaaaa-Zinga! :lol:

• Captain aHab says:

Shooting high is great practice for those tough flop shots on the links.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Maybe they should have clarified to that little puke rat just how high they meant! Loved watching Marchand miss the entire net with no one around him in front of Carey. Looked good on that vile piece of crap.

The shot by Marchand on Plex is the epitomy of what we have said for years the Bruins represent. I would hope TSN/CBC may actually show this replay and not leave it as an RDS Exclusive.

• Captain aHab says:

Even if they showed it, they would deem it a tough hockey play that Montreal had coming.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Habitforming says:

After Julien threw them under the bus last night in his presser, I’m sure they both feel great today lol

67. Habfan10912 says:

Gooooooooooood Mooooooooooring all! Sometimes in sports it becomes as simple as good guys versus bad guys. Even in defeat the Bruins displayed the dark side of sports.

I am not going to dwell on the display by Lucic last night. I’ll just leave it by thinking we’ll see his name in a police blotter somewhere over the off season. He’s a troubled man.

CHeers.

68. Cal says:

Major Kudos to Gally and DD on the series winner by Patches. Talk about two junkyard dogs not wanting to give up on a bone. Now, that’s intensity!

69. Cal says:

Habs have bested the Bruins. Awesome.
    Here’s a little BTO to celebrate!
    Take it way, Mr. Bachman.

70. Maritime Ronn says:

Subban Chara matchup in the Series:

Subban: 4 Goals 3 assists. Plus 2 in final 5 games
    Chara:…..0 Goals 2 assists. Minus 2 in final 5 games

Would the boxing judges consider that a TKO or just a plain Knock Out?

71. habs001 says:

The Rangers will not be easy but Habs should be favoured…Most talanted roster left in the playoffs is the Hawks…Solid effort by the entire team…

72. D Man says:

Not only Chara looked old last night. So did Cherry’s act. (I know, I know, it has for a long time.) But the whining, OMG, “All we ask is that the refs are fair”. Translation? No need for translation.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

73. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

Very tough to sleep last night. My mind was seemingly racing a million miles an hour. Oh, what a feeling.

Aside from an Emelin miscue, Max penalty and some weak shifts by Gionta the team played a very, very good game.

Personally, IMO, almost everyone played their role, played within themselves and were simply the better team. Yes, team. The team concept might fall under closer scrutiny in Boston were I still see a number of selfish players making selfish plays. Players who are not willing to take a check, take a punch or otherwise turn a cheek. Of course, that’s not why the Bruins lost.

IMO, the Bruins fate was sealed when the officials decided that they had seen enough of Marchand’s antics, Chara’s dives (I loved the face off flop when Gally touched his skate) and Riley tossing himself around like a rag doll. The Bruins fate was sealed when Thorton laughed and Lucic mocked the team. You don’t disrespect your opponent this way. I’m sure neither will learn much from this experience and look forward to another form of retribution next fall. Going forward, these Bruins and future Bruins will quickly realize that we are skilled, quick and – coming to a rink near you – tough.

Yes tough. There are many forms of toughness. We have a certain something on display right now. Being able to take a check to make a play is tough. Going to the dirty areas is tough. Standing in front of the net is tough, as is blocking a shot. Of course, my favorite form of toughness is the fighting aspect, and we will have that covered soon enough. In the interim, I’ll continue to enjoy this version and applaud the work they are doing.

Our best players were our best players. I’m not sure if I’m seeing it the same way as others, but, IMO, we don’t need a Vanek long term to be successful. We need 18 guys pulling the rope in the same direction. I’d personally help Vanek move to Minnesota this summer. He needs to bring A LOT more if he wants a contract with Molson’s signature on it. Speaking of our best players, PK and Price were dynamite. What stars! Price I said needed a save percentage equal to or better than .930. He delivered, in spades!

Sure, it likely didn’t win the series, but the choice to insert a young puck mover gave us a major edge. Nate, considering this was his second game in more than a month was great again. What an upgrade! I knew he would shine and thus far have not been disappointed.

Half way their. Two series down, two to go. They have a real shot against, who is also playing great hockey. Add in St. Louis who reserves his best for Montreal and we have something special. We’ve come this far, I hope we can go a little further.

Lots to be excited about this morning. Go Habs Go! Cheers, CJ