About last night …

DDSave

Michel Therrien said his team played its best game of the season Monday night at the Bell Centre.
And who are we to contradict the kindly old coach?
Your Montreal Canadiens posted impressive regular-season wins over Chicago and Pittsburgh.
They swept Tampa Bay out of the playoffs.
But Therrien is right (as he has been frequently this season).
Given the circumstances – elimination game against a President’s Trophy winner riding two impressive Ws in a row – the 4-0 victory that sent this wild series back to Boston for Game 7 was the Canadiens’ best of the season.

And apart from the circumstances, it was a great effort for the home team because everyone in a red jersey contributed.

Shall we work our way through the roster?

• Carey Price calmly turned away a rather modest total of 26 shots for the fourth playoff shutout of his career. An anomaly: Price has hung all his postseason goose eggs on Boston. And if you include the Olympics, Price has allowed one goal in four elimination games. (Thanks for that one, Mike Ziegler.)

• Max Pacioretty had a goal and an assist while terrorizing the Boston defence with his speed and, in this game, intensity.

• Thomas Vanek had four shots on goal, two of which eluded Tuukka Rask. He also had a couple hits. Vanek has nine SoG in the series … and four goals.

• Playing his best game of the postseason – perhaps because he was at his healthiest – Brandon Prust had seven hits in 11:18 of ice time. Perhaps Prust assured himself of a solid game by shaking  Ginette Reno’s hand after O Canada.

•  Don Meehan, P.K. Subban’s agent, was at Game 6 – maybe to ask Marc Bergevin what gift he plans to give P.K. for his 25th birthday on Tuesday. The darling of the Bell Centre had a full stat sheet: 24:27 of ice time, two penalties, three hits, two giveaways, two blocked shots and one Michel Therrien knee-slapper.

When asked, during his postgame press conference, about a sequence of Boston zone domination that began with Subban in the penalty box and continues for what seemed like an eternity after he got out and rejoined his scrambling teammates, Therrien said the takeaway was the revelation that P.K. “is a bad left winger.”

Therrien laughed heartily at his own joke. The coach wouldn’t have been as jovial if Boston’s sustained pressure had produced a goal in a game that was 1-0 at the time.

• Andrei Markov led the Canadiens in ice time with 24:44 and through that time never set a foot wrong.

• Markov’s D partner and homeboy, Alexei Emelin, had his bell rung by Milan Lucic but gave as good as he got in recording four thunderous hits.

• David Desharnais yanked the puck back from the goal line when a Boston score might have made for tight collars at the rink.

• Daniel Brière returned to the lineup and boosted the second wave of the power play while adding a scoring threat to his even-strength shifts with linemates Prust and the tireless Dale Weise.

• Michäel Bournival skated like the wind and recorded six hits. This kid is going to be a good  player in Montreal for the next 12 years.

• Lars Eller scored what proved to be the winning goal 2:11 into the game. He also went 12-9 in the faceoff circle and used his size effectively against the Bruins.

• Bouncing back from maybe the worst playoff game of his career, Tomas Plekanec went 13-8 on faceoffs and was superb, as always on a PK unit that stymied Boston.

• In the first professional playoff game, AHL and NHL, of his career, Nathan Beaulieu skated, moved the puck effectively, made the pass that sprung Pacioretty for his goal and generally comported himself as a future CH stalwart and a present reason to keep Douglas Murray and Francis Bouillon in the pressbox.

• Mike Weaver had an assist, blocked five shots and shrugged off Boston’s attempts to run him.

• Josh Gorges was Josh Gorges: fur blocked shots, a couple hits while playing stay-at-home Felix Unger to P.K.’s freewheeling Oscar Madison.

• Brendan Gallagher blocked a couple shots and annoyed the Bruins every time he got within grinning distance of Tuukka Rask.

• Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque put in hard-working nights at the office.

It was a total team effort – including the seventh man. The atmosphere in the Bell Centre was electric, from beginning to end.

And it will be noisy in Boston on Wednesday night.

In his postgame remarks, Claude Julien took time out from whining to say his Bruins will win the series.

Michel Therrien was content to observe that anything can happen in a seventh game.

Julien has to be concerned by the lack of production from big guns such as David Krejci, Milan Lucic and Jarome Iginla. Despite his best efforts to unsettle the Canadiens, Brad Marchand was a non-factor in Game 6.

And, most ominous of all, Zdeno Chara looked a bit tired.

But it’s probably a safe bet the big lug will bounce back. Thoroughbreds like Chara play well in Game 7′s.

We could be in for a classic.

P.K. and the r-word

Crying Julien

1. Chris says:

As pointed out earlier, Lucic’s posture should be off-limits as it results from a medical condition.

Likewise, I wish people would give the domestic assault issue a rest: he was never charged, let alone convicted. Nobody saw him strike his girlfriend during the argument, and she has been adamant that he never did. When the police stopped by their house later in the evening, they found no marks whatsoever on her. The physical abuse was based on one witness claiming to have heard what sounded like a slap, but nobody witnessed any physical contact between the two.

He did have an aggressive argument with her while both were drunk out of their minds, and witnesses said that they saw him ‘throw’ her purse and shoes at/to her while she was on the ground.

Domestic assault is a very serious charge, and Massachusetts police take it VERY seriously. We live in a world where people are innocent until proven guilty. All that we know is that Lucic and his girfriend were arguing very heatedly. Unless we know otherwise, we probably shouldn’t be bringing this up.

2. DeadEnd says:

So anyone else think Mike Weaver won’t have too much trouble finding a job next season (wherever that may be), even for a 37 year old smurf?

• Timo says:

Hopefully he can sign with Habs as #7 dman… then Habs will keep him in the pressbox for the first half of the season, get him warmed up in the second half and use him as a shot blocking machine in the playoffs. The bigger question is how much money Francis Bouillon going to command having played top 2 minutes this season?

• punkster says:

He’s a 5’10″ NHL pro hockey player working with one of the best teams in the league.

Shove the smurf talk down your pie hole.

And I say that with all due respect.

Release the Subbang!!!

3. JUST ME says:

Just heard P.K. `s interview he gave after the game yesterday to McGuire. How can you not like a player like that ?

He wants it loud and dirty tomorrow ! You just know he is going to show up. It`s a do or die situation and he is a guy you want on your team . But so is Carey who plays the game of his NHL carreer tomorrow. I`ve got a feeling….

4. CJ says:

Prior to this series starting I said Price would need a save percentage equal to or better than .930 for the Canadiens to have a chance to win. Thus far, through six games, his save percentage is .932.

Price will need to continue this solid play if the team hopes to pull it off tomorrow night. Further, the entire team needs to support 31 and continue to clear the crease and limit secondary chances. Last night the Bruins had all kinds of chances, but Price was able to see the first shot and the team did an excellent job collapsing, taking away the secondary scoring opportunities. Again, this will need to continue.

It’s one game. I know it will hurt, but for one more game take a hit and, when you can, deliver a hit. Take a punch. Let the Bruins continue to show the world what they really are – a bunch of classless thugs. We will beat them where it matters most – on the scoreboard. Looking ahead, we will beat them in the alley too, but that’s down the road. Tomorrow night, the only satisfaction that we can realize is that of the scoreboard.

I just hope Scott Oake is around to ask more stupid questions of PK before the game. I also wouldn’t mind if all the players were shown a clip of Cherry throughout this series and other media types who continue to try and draw attention to any foul they believe a Canadiens player has committed. Further, I hope Madame Reno has touched each of the players and imparted some good luck. We will need a bounce and/or break, but it can be done.

I am so excited I can hardly work! Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

5. Un Canadien errant says:

For you posters who think Michel Therrien speaks English poorly, here he is, quoted from his press conference today:

“On voulait extensionner la série.”

“On va vivre la même situation, euh, émotionellement…”

“On vit pour ça, vouloir, se donner la chance de compétitionner, …”

Michel is in the unfortunate position of working almost exclusively in the English language, and then when conversing in French of using English phrasing and trying to translate that directly into French. And by doing so, man does he come up with some clunkers.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• JUST ME says:

You are exactly right. Although some are perfectly bilingual, they tend to translate from one language to the other when facing an instantaneous need like a microphone or a press conference. Therrien is like that . It applies to any mix of languages although french and english words being more alike it`s easy to fall in a trap…Being french too i appreciate being able to write and read in english and it`s an ongoing challenge. Sometimes i read what i wrote earlier and go facepalm…

• johnnylarue® says:

Jacques Martin was very much the same: good old’boys who grew up speaking blue collar French (with liberal doses of English thrown in for convenience) get understandably tongue-tied when it comes to speaking “TV French” for the press.

(I speak from experience.)

• monmick says:

Un mot: Montréal. Auto. Prix.

There is even a commercial about that with some great lines. “On es-tu à l’étranger ou sur la route?”

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

6. Newf_Habster says:

So who will be refereeing tomorrow night’s game?

Therrien’s biggest challenge will be to get his team to skate the same way they did in game 6. I don’t know why these guys need motivation for game 7 of the second round of playoffs, but they clearly do and Michael Therrien better find that. There is no reason to thing Bruins won’t be better next time and Julien won’t make required adjustment. But the fact remains… when Habs skate FOR FULL 60 MINUTES , Bruins can’t compete with them.

8. Thomas Le Fan says:

Does anyone else think that Lucic’s elbow came up on the hit on Emelin? Sure looked like it to me. NBC won’t show replays of that sort of thing, however. Penis with ears McGuire disgusts me more with every game.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Timo says:

I wasn’t able to find the replay either, but by default I am going to assume that it did. I’d be surprised if it were a clean hit.

• bwoar says:

I do think Markov got a bit of an elbow on him, actually. And it was nice.

• monmick says:

On the hit where Emelin had to go to the dressing room for a few minutes (after his monster shift), I though Lucic stuck out his knee – or at least his leg – and caught Emelin. At least, that is what I saw initially but like others, I never saw a replay…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

9. punkster says:

Holy crap…in more important news I just spotted this article…a landmark will be no more:

Release the Subbang!!!

10. punkster says:

What a game…what a team…and all of those guys, whether playing or press boxed, have earned our respect.

Release the Subbang!!!

11. Prop says:

I wonder if Vancouver regrets trading Weise?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

12. Say Ash says:

I still don’t get what Chara was trying to do on Patches’ goal.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Rask started out.. Kinda froze him.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

Weird thing was even after his first hesitation he stil had time to get out and get that puck….that goal was all on Rask…and right after Price made a big save…that type of thing eats at a guy lke Tuuka.

George Parros showing he hasn’t loss his sense of humour from the press box.

Saw this article on Kuklas Korner this morning and immediately thought of the former mayor in Toronto, Mel Lastman with his famous Bad Boys commercials.

Nooooooooobody!

15. Strummer says:

Renaud Lavoie on Hockey Central at Noon- described the Bruins mood at yesterday’s morning skate as “sad” when he told some of them that Douglas Murray would not be in the line-up
    ____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

16. Puck Daddy has a great measured piece this morning on racial bias in hockey. Worth reading — and hard to argue with.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• johnnylarue® says:

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with a few of the rebuttals regarding a couple of the dubious examples he used, but there’s no questioning the overall spot-on-edness of that article. Needed to be said. (And will probably need to be said several more times yet.)

• bwoar says:

“While they’ve never seen him dribble a basketball, they have seen him carry the puck through the neutral zone while black.”

Spot on. And spot on about Winnipeg too, where a gas-bag nitwit like Gary Lawless regularly gets away with writing some of the dumbest hockey columns since Scott Taylor greased this city. Thing is, I talk to people like him every day. Who can’t handle racial differences gracefully, because they are still too busy noticing race. Walking while black. Talking while black. Carrying the puck, as the article says.

I hear the most awkward, cringe-worthy stuff said with big happy “look at me, I’m not a racist” grins and shudder. When you need to point that out, in your body language, or in your choice of words, or in your “moseying around the issue” up-front and obviously – you HAVE AN ISSUE. People just do not understand that, and go on thinking they are paragons of enlightenment. Not recognizing one’s biases is a big part of people’s problem with race. Heck, the 3 words “problem with race” speak volumes here all on their own.

Winnipeg cannot handle black athletes, particularly in hockey.

Evander Kane is 100% correct the tone of criticism he gets. I’m glad Winnipeg was used as an example in this article as I’ve spent a lot of time defending Kane from exactly those kinds of racial undercurrents the author points out, and people throw all kinds of fits about how I’m just being too PC, i.e. they are now the victim.

“All of this isn’t to say that hockey treats every black player problematically. They don’t. Just the ones who fail to conform to their mould of how a player should act. Just the ones who stand out.”

Bingo. What a terrific piece.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Don Cherry has been dissing foreigners on the CBC for decades, and many Canadians (many of whom post here regularly) have been nodding in agreement.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• bwoar says:

Those nasty Finns. They play the game the white way.

• Sprague and Odie says:

Wait until the Latvians beat their pants off in 2018.

—————————–
          I was told that there was an award ceremony in Boston to honour Don Cherry – I thought about that for a brief moment and I replied: “For what? Too many men on the ice?”

• Sprague and Odie says:

Cherry and Rob Ford. What else can one say?

—————————–

17. munch17 says:

I read some earlier posts about Douglas Murray.
    I like him. He is tough. But he is slow. I like Frankie. I think Weaver has been an excellent pick up.
    I would like to see Beaulieu and Tinordi play.
    But there is only room for two of those five players to play.
    I like them all. They all have heart.
    In fact I like the whole team.
    I think DD played a great game yesterday.
    I am not one of his big fans. But let me clarify this. I think he is a great guy, gives 100%, and has a huge heart. I just don’t think he is a number one center and would have liked to see other players given the same opportunity( esp Chucky). That being said if he happens to score the winner tomorrow in overtime I will be ecstatic and very happy for him and all of us. But it doesn’t mean that my opinion is wrong ( or right).
    So let’s enjoy this band of warriors and if we have our preferences it doesn’t mean that we have to insult the others.

18. Strummer says:

I loved the sequence leading to Patches’ goal.
    Pacioretty bearing down looking for the 5-hole, Chara on his tail looking for a stanchion.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

19. Fansincebirth says:

I would love the league to adopt a no tolerance policy for the garbage that happens post whistle. I’m sick of seeing the cross checking, jabbing, punching etc whenever the players get in front of the net or along the boards. It really detracts from the game. It was very refreshing to see it missing from the Olympic games.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed.

• I’d love to see a reporter ask Bettman why the league allows penalties to go uncalled after whistles and during the playoffs. A slash is a slash is a slash — either call the penalties, or come out and say you won’t, so that the players know where the line is.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It would be pretty simple to implement too.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

20. DipsyDoodler says:

It’s funny how everyone thinks the Bruins are trying to out-thug us. I don’t see it. They play physical hockey of course, but they haven’t been excessively thuggish, until the game is out of reach. And even then, it hasn’t been outrageous.

The Bruins are actually a fast skillful team.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Mavid ® says:

Agree..I thought they would be a lot dirtier..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Un Canadien errant says:

I forget which poster it was, but he mentioned that Andrew Ference, Nathan Horton and Adam McQuaig are not on this year’s incarnation of the Bruins, and that’s a lot of douchebaggery stripped from the roster. Sure they have Zdeno Chara as Douche-in-Chief, and Sean Thornton, Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic as his Douche-de-camp, but they’re missing a lot of the douchegrunts that made them such a delight for Don Cherry.

• The Jackal says:

I hope the Bruins don’t remember they are such a team until they are golfing on Friday morning.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• shiram says:

Yup they are not the same team as 2-3 years ago.
      Ferrence and Horton were big part of their identity and the new players injected changed their overall style of play.

• Strummer says:

Chara was actually skating away after the initial run-in with Markov when Weaver started on him again.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Luke says:

I actually concur, as well.

I was expecting a heck of a lot worse.

I am not sure if the league/officials have a handle on it, if the Bruins have declined in that area or if it was always over blown.

I also feel that the Heroes are catching up and evening out the playing field. The Bruins, and other teams, are less inclined to play the thug game as Montreal is toughening up a bit, and at the same time, winning games.

Even the Habs lack of reaction serves to curtail the nonsense.

Public preception has change a bit as well. What was Tough Bruin hockey during the Cup run is now being lauded as childish and unnecessary.

Probably a combination of all things mentioned.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

Pretty sure most Bruins fans think “fast” and “skillful” are insults. Be careful, you’re coming dangerously close to poking the bear with that comment.

• adesbarats says:

The Hab’s PP has been murderous. They can’t afford to resort to thuggery. I have no doubt they want to.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

Exactly. They’ve looked pretty thuggish once games are out of reach. But with the game still in the balance, they have to either figure out how to kill a penalty or else play nice.

• Schmarkty says:

I think the games and the series have just been too close, they can’t get away with any of that non-sense.

• tophab says:

DipsyDoodler you are a bruin.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

So, what do you call all that crap at the end of a 4-0 loss? If it isn’t thuggery, that is.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Something which makes the insertion of Nathan Beaulieu in the lineup even more apt is that now he is playing on his side, the left side. Earlier in the season, he was playing with Francis Bouillon, and he was on the right side, the Canadiens had to play both him and Alexei Emelin on the right since P.K. was the only rightie when Raphaël Diaz fell out of favour.

Now with Mike Weaver having been acquired and playing beyond expectations, it’s an easier decision to put a rookie d-man on his left, he’s not having to compensate for being on his off-side as he acclimates to the NHL. Plus, their skillsets complement each other’s well. Mike is the trusty stay-at-home type who can mind the store and communicate with his young partner, learn him the ropes, point out the pitfalls before Nathan blunders into them.

And for next season, Magnus Nygren and Greg Pateryn can’t be ready fast enough. We need at least one other rightie besides P.K., and I hope one of these guys can show up at camp and do what Marc Bergevin says a young player has to do, which is prove that he belongs with le Grand Club, and force the GM to make room for him.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

22. The Jackal says:

In my 9 years of watching hockey (and being a Habs fan), this is the first time that I look at the team and think: “wow, this team is headed in the right direction, it is really progressing as an organization and as a hockey team.” Not that I never believed that previous Habs teams couldn’t win or that they weren’t good, but while I always had faith in them, their successes always felt like they were built on foundations of sand – things could collapse at any moment and sadly they did collapse often.

Even in 2010, that playoff run was the result of a hot goalie and timely scoring – not to detract from the boys – it was PK’s coming out party and the Habs showed a lot of character in getting to round 3, but at the same time, the team never looked dominant or cohesive, and the wheels ultimately came off.

Today though, the Habs really look like a team that is coming together and finding its identity and self-belief. MB and co. have put together a great ensemble of players who compliment each other in various ways, and we’ve been using our talents and skills very well. Seeing guys like Gallagher, PK, Bournival, DD, Patch, Price, Beaulieu, etc., all contribute in big ways is very encouraging for the future. And seeing vets like Markov, Gionta, Weaver, etc., is also very encouraging as they are character guys who are great mentors for our young players.

Win or lose tomorrow, this team is well on its way to establishing itself as a top team once more. We’ve been dominant in many games this post-season and I never felt like the wheels would come off at any time. We may not send the Bruins home tomorrow, and if that comes to pass, it will be painful. But the progress this team has made, and what it has shown this post-season augurs very well for the near future, and I am very proud of the boys. However, losing tomorrow night is hypothetical because we are going to kick some Bruin ass – HABS IN 7! GO HABS GO!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

This team is headed for greatness. If not this year, in the next couple. Believe it! Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

23. BriPro says:

Thank you all for answering my smurf-in-the-net question, below.
    I expected a faster response from Timo, but it made for an interesting discussion.

Such a positive vibe on here today…
    I think everyone took their Ritalin.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
    Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

- John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

• The Jackal says:

Not to sound like the positivity police, but I really hope that we don’t throw all this good will towards the team should we not win tomorrow. Many posts here saying how they are already happy with the season regardless of what happens. Obviously winning would be great and way better than losing, but there’s no reason to get down on the team should we not win.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• BriPro says:

On this site? Negativity…you’re surely joking!
        (Enter sarcastic face here)

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
        Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

- John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

24. Thomas Le Fan says:

A great win! The Bruins and the NHL pretty much disgust me, however. If the referees called every penalty deserved by each team, the Bruins would spend the whole game in the penalty box. Can’t have that.
    On the even brighter side, my brand new, six week old English Setter pup, Lola, and I watched the game together and I feel she’s a good luck charm. We’ll be watching together again Wednesday. Actually, she slept on my lap preventing me from reaching my beer and only woke up when I was yelling at the TV in the last minute.
    Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

25. Prop says:

Chucky skating with the team at practice. Excellent news.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

26. Strummer says:

As I said yesterday Boston is ripe for the picking if Habs use their speed to put pressure on the inexperienced Bruins D (Eller’s goal last night on the turnover by Miller) and the aging Chara (Plex’ goal- what was Chara doing on that backcheck?)
    What’s frustrating after watching last night is why haven’t Habs been able play with this intensity every game this series?

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

27. shiram says:

Too much is said about the Olé Olé Olé chant.

Many people seem to interpret it differently, but to me it’s a cheering chant and it’s also to annoy the opposing players and their fans.
    It’s also about 21k people in an arena sharing an experience and venting out that positive energy in unison.

The “It’s over we won” chant is the nanana hey hey hey chant, and I don’t recall hearing that one anytime recently.

As for the olé chant inspiring the other team, well corrolation does not imply causation.

• Strummer says:

Agree, good post

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• krob1000 says:

I am not a fan of the ole chant…I love the HAbs goal song though and wish people would instead sing that instead. The ole song to me is more soccer and I donlt associate it with hockey at all…it kind of annoys me to be honest. I would much rather hear the fans sing allez, allez, allez montreal like the goal song tune instead.

• CalgaryHab says:

i agree. I don’t know when this chant started getting confused with the sense of ‘putting the game away’. It’s the fans having a good time – nothing more.

• twilighthours says:

Exactly. Every word.

• Luke says:

They sang the na-na-na chant a bit last night. Quietly and it didn’t have much of a life span.

The ole chant (i don’t like it, because i simply don’t like that chant) is a second version of Go Habs Go. Typically sung while the team is rolling, so naturally those who complain about it are watching the Habs beating the team they cheer for, so they get all whiney and Leaf-fanny about it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well said, Shiram, and all who responded. HNIC get all flustered and equate it with the “Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye” chant, which it isn’t.

I’d like to know how the players feel, if they’re pro or con the Olé chant. I can’t imagine hearing more than 20 000 fans singing at the top of their lungs isn’t a plus for them.

• CalgaryHab says:

i remember once in the regular season the habs were up in the second period and the fans started doing the ‘ole’. Bob Cole stated that ‘it’s too early to start singing – they haven’t won yet’. I thought ‘no kidding, there having a good time ,therefore they’re singing.’ Idiots

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes, I also heard poor old Bob dodder on about this too, in those exact words. Might have been the last time I chose HNIC over RDS.

• CalgaryHab says:

I usually watch RDS, I’ve subcribed to them for years, I can’t speak french but i know I can see every game. HNIC is the only option I have for linguistics unfortunately.

• shiram says:

From what we hear, the Habs player seem to enjoy it, they talk about the energy in the building, and how tough it is for opposition to play here.

• Forum Dog says:

From my perspective, the “Ole” chant is a goading, self-aggrandizing song. It has its place, and fans can sing it if they want. It is definitely one of the things that makes MTL unique, and lets everyone in the building find a voice. That part is good.

My problem is when it is sung during a tight 1-0 game. I have been to several games where fans are more interested in singing “Ole” than in watching the hard fought game in front of them, only to have the other team ramp things up and come back to win. It may be subjective and not based on rational analysis, but I wouldn’t dismiss the correlation. Teams use all kinds of things as motivation, and having the opposition’s fans taunt you with a Eurovision track might just be the slap they need to get fired up.

I’m also not sure it is a “cheering” chant, ’cause I have never (and I mean never) heard it sung when the team is tied or down by one. After last night’s win though, I don’t care what the fans sing. So long as they get a chance to sing it again.

• Cal says:

Geez, the fans sing it when the team is playing well. How awful! They should pretend they are all in Toronto and sit on their hands.
        It’s a song, ffs, not self-aggrandizement.

• Mad Habber says:

(Not that you will ever see this) I remember when they first started singing it. I pretty sure it was in a play-off series vs Bruins (I know Kovalev was on the team.) and it was sung as a rally song. They were down in the game and they got a goal, the crowd started singing and the team comeback won the game and eventually the series. It has kind of stuck around since then, but has gradually gone to when the team is doing well.

28. DD says:

The bear is a slut, and seems to enjoy all the ‘poking’ going on.

29. Mr_MacDougall says:

Off topic.. Mark Buerhle becomes the majors first 7 game winner… Casey Jansen returned and every pitch was on the black, welcomed addition.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

Frustrating team to watch though….leads? what leads? maybe Janssen helps that out but they need Reyes to get going and make something happen at the top of the order. Not sure why they let both Bonafacio and Rajai Davis go…they need another base stealer…they are too reliant on the home run and the option of taking a late walk nad subbing in pinch runner who could steal wins you about 2 or 3 games a year alone. Rajai Davis was the perfect utility guy I thought and ideal 4th outfielder…he was also clutch. Nice to see Rasmus hitting better and pretty well the whole lineup for that matter but they are still hitting to leave the park. Seitzer has his work cut out ofr him…will take a while to get those guys taking pitches consistently and learning to use the whole field.

Baseball umpires drive me more nuts than hockey refs though….yeterday firsttow hitters reach base…Bautista up….Wilson paints both corners of the plate and hsould have Bautista at his mercy…instead he is down 2 balls and no strikes…everyone at home or in the park knows a fastball is coming…everyone knows what Bautista does to fastballs wehn he knows they are coming…and viola 3 run homer. Too often those early strike cals affect the at bat.

How did middle relievers go from being so good last year to coughing up so many leads this year?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I disagree with your bench player assessment. I am a big believer in having ‘thumpers’ off the bench. Most times in pinch hit situations you need a sac fly or an extra base hit. If you need a defensive replacement, then the starter at said position isn’t good enough.

Davis could be a useful piece. I find baseball umps,to be great for the most part.. The guys with a big zone seem to be consistent, same with small zone.

I think the pitchers are missing Pat Hentgen.

As for the Jays, can you name a better top 6 batting lineup in all of baseball? Rumour has it,mDavid Price will be dealt this year, who. I think would put the Jays into a playoff position. It’d be tough to get TB to trade an ace within the division.. Probably cost the team Stroman and another piece. But the team needs the kind of pitcher that is a “no brainer” to start a playoff series.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

I still see speed as an issue…against good pitching you need to be able to manufacture runs too….the Jays have their issues with good potichers…they slug the crap out of weak pitching but the homer/extra base game does not work against the elite…you need to be able to do both manufacture via batting average/speed as well. The thumping apporach is a live and die thing and not enough…it is like being a 3 point and jump shooting NBA team. They seriously lack speed…speed not only is good for those extra bases, it changes the pticehrs and catchers mindest, it puts the infiled on watch and shifts their positions, it alters pitch selection, it makes all sorts of other things happen, it speeds a delivery it cuases errors, it breaks up double plays,etc,etc. Speed is a threat that impacts everything and means the thumper at the plate is more likely to get a juicy mistake. Manufacturing is a necessity and like I am describing it is more than that. Reys is a great catalst but the extra base thing and string together hits and homers is not always going to happen…a walk turning into a stolen base, a ground ball to the right side and a sac fly is an easy run….if the big hit happens great…but if not you still got one.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with everything g you posted. I love manufactured runs.

One thing to consider, the Jays have not played in very many close games this season. It’s very strange, but how many games have been close in the 6th in ing or later.. Which is when you generally sacrifice batters to move runners.. I don’t have the numbers, but other than the Jays pen blowing a few games, I don’t think there have been many opportunities for the jays to play small ball.. Though I do remember a Diaz bunt on a ball up around his eyes!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Hobie says:

Not time to flip over to the Blue Jays yet. Hopefully not for another 5 or so weeks.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

WTF cares about another loser team from Toronto? Go Jays … and take the Leafs with you.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Wow, aren’t you in a good mood. So we can’t be baseball fans here? Would you prefer we cheer for the Boston Red Sox?

COme on bud, just a bit of a baseball talk is all. Still Habs fans!!!

• sprague cleghorn says:

Baseball? Isn’t that the game they stopped playing in August ’94? Have they started that up again? ;)

… ‘ow could we forget that?

30. Sportfan says:

So we’ll resign Weise and Weaver right? Then trade Moen seeing as his NTC is over by that point, there is a weird winning record with him out of the lineup.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Wow, still feeling a little shaky this morning, but a win cures everything.

I could not have been more pleased with the manner in which the team played last night. With very few exceptions, everyone was moving and working hard. I thought the coach was rewarded for FINALLY dressing Beaulieu, who looked very poised in what was his biggest game thus far in his young career (that’s saying something considering his WJC and Memorial Cup appearances).

There will be a time, in the not too distant future when we will be positioned to fight back and impose our own brand of justice on these Bruin thugs. The time however will not be tomorrow night. Tomorrow night’s success will hinge on us continuing to dictate terms. Boston would love to get into a slug fest, but that is not the style of game that will produce the desired results. We need to continue to play with speed and transition the puck with precise passes and carrying, when practical, the puck into the offensive zone.

No, the Canadiens did not win last night because of Nate, but boy they sure looked good with him in the lineup. His passes, him joining the rush and creating numbers all were heads and shoulders above (no pun intended) what Frankie and Murray can do at this stage of their career. They did not win because of Mive Weaver or Josh Gorges, but they both played a terrific defensive game, blocking shots, clearing pucks and taking hits to make a pass. The team did not win because of Markov and Emelin, but both were war horses, taking the body, making plays and holding the Bruins accountable. Finally, the team did not win because of Price, PK, or Max, but, for the first time this series, our three best players were our three best players. This will need to continue on Wednesday night.

Wednesday night will be a coin toss. It could go either way. It is pretty cool that we have come this far. I really hope that we can go one step further. I am not looking past tomorrow night and refuse to think ahead. All energy needs to go into this game. Prust should be an inspiration. If he can hit and bang, than there is litterally no excuse for anyone else to float around. The Captain needs to step up tomorrow. This is the biggest momement in the last 20+ years.

We can do it. We must do it! Cheers, CJ

• Un Canadien errant says:

There was one shift where Nathan pinched, did his job but the puck went the other way quickly anyhow. He skated back hard, but there were enough guys available to cover for him, it wasn’t really an odd-man rush, so he kept his head up and appraised the play as it carried in his zone. Sure enough, the puck squirted loose as he veered in, and he nabbed it and quickly sent the play going the other way. In that instance, he demonstrated a skillset that Douglas Murray doesn’t have, and maybe Francis can’t display as well any more.

Sure, Nathan is inexperienced, and the coaching staff may choose to go another way for a Game 7, but last night he proved himself to be at least a viable option, and one that the Bruins have a hard time dealing with.

• CJ says:

I’ve watched Nate play live on a number of occassions. The kid can do things with the puck that very few people in the entire organization can do. Offensively, Beaulieu has a very high ceiling. I don’t think it’s a stretch to compare his offensive capabilities with that of Kris Letang. Because he is a such a great skater, he is able to extend the play further into the offensive zone because he can get back and defend.

As weird as this sounds, I think of him as Clark Kent and Superman. In Hamilton, while wearning number 8 he was Clark Kent. He was bored and couldn’t find a rythm. When he plays in Montreal and wears number 40, he becomes Superman. He seems to love the big stage and thus far has grown leaps and bounds.

What people need to keep in mind is this type of player will make mistakes. I don’t think he is the riverboat gambler that Karlsson is, but he will get burnt from time to time. We saw him play a very effective game last night, and I truly hope it continues tomorrow, but we must also understand that there will be times that he is caught and his mistake will cost us a scoring chance. Despite this, he is, IMO, so much better than Frankie and Murray it is really insulting to think that he has been sitting and waiting.

Just my two cents….

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s one thing that’s worried me about Nathan, how he didn’t do well in Hamilton, to the point that the play-by-play guys were stopping just short of calling him out, and Jarred as well. But maybe he’s like that, maybe he’s more of a big-game player, he’ll sleepwalk through a stint in the AHL, or a slate of games against the Wild and the Blue Jackets, but come alive against the Bruins or in the playoffs.

There are jobs available on the blue line for next season, I hope Nathan forces the Canadiens hand in training camp, that he takes the job and never lets it go.

• The Jackal says:

Speaking of the blue line for next season, I hope we see:

Tinner – PK
            Markov – Emelin
            Gorges – Beaulieu

Or some combination of that group of D-men.
            I’d keep Weaver as the 7th guy if he wants that role.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• krob1000 says:

Or maygbe they already know his offesnive game and he was asked to work on his defensive game and play more conservatively so when he did make the jump he had a stronger defensive base to build on.

• Cal says:

Get him to stop sliding around and the Habs might have something. ;)

32. D Mex says:

TSN 690 right now : Brian Wilde on about Dale Weise.
    Great stuff !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

33. CalgaryHab says:

Shiram mentions below that the garbage that spewed onto Lucic and Chara as they left the ice was uncalled for – the angel on my right shoulder completely agrees with him.
    However, the devil on my left was hoping to see a kitchen sink or an old dishwasher come flying down, crashing throught the protective tarp knocking them unconcious.

34. JF says:

The Bruins are still a better team than the Habs, but last night’s game showed that it’s not by much. They used to beat us by intimidating us and dominating us physically. That is no longer possible. We’ve given as good as we’ve gotten in this series, and last night we won the physical battles as well as the battle on the scoreboard. When we play with the level of intensity and aggression that was on display last night, we can beat them convincingly – not by getting a one-goal lead and hanging on desperately, as we’ve done several times recently, but by outworking and out-muscling them and basically taking control of the game, as we did last night.

Can we do the same in Boston tomorrow night? They will have last change and the crowd behind them and we will not have Ginette’s magic, but I don’t see why these factors should prevent us playing the same type of game as last night. And if we do that, there’s nothing to suggest we can’t win; maybe our speed, which the Bruins had problems with all night, even gives us the advantage. If our top line continues contributing and we can prevent theirs from breaking out (it looked better last night than it has all series), I like our chances.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Habs need to skate the B’s asses into the ice tomorrow night. Do that, and the Habs will be victorious.

X X X X X X X 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Cal says:

Ginette has to be in MB’s loge tomorrow night wearing her jacket and sweater.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. I’ll say again: if the refs do their job, if they let them play, if they let the guys who are trying to play hockey be free of intimidation tactics and hooking and interference, then our boys will do their job.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

That is yet to be determined, mon ami. Wednesday. Be there. We’ll see. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

35. boing007 says:

Release the Wolverine! Go MaxPac!

Richard R

36. Hobie says:

It will be a life moment if the Habs win tomorrow night. It would be a massive gorilla lifted off the team’s, the city’s and the fans’ backs! My god do the Habs ever have to win! The biggest game in 20 years I’d say? Bigger than 2010 for sure against the Pens.

37. CynicalHabsfan says:

Elated to see Beaulieu in the lineup last night. I thought he had looked very good during the season. It seemed like MB thought likewise; the Diaz trade seemed to indicate that NB had supplanted Diaz in the lineup as a puck-moving dman on the third pairing. But then- and correct me if I’m wrong- Beaulieu was kept down in Hamilton following the olympic break because he wasn’t hustling enough with the bulldogs, and lost his spot to Murray/Cube, who are nowhere near his skill level.
    He should have been there all along, but good on MT for FINALLY giving the kid another shot.

• JUST ME says:

Beaulieu was kept in Hamilton to play,play and play. The Nhl is not a place to make mistakes,it`s a man`s world and Beaulieu has shown a lack of maturity and as much as his offensive upside is obvious, defensively he needed and still needs work. I have been following him since his junior days and i know he is going to be a treat to watch but it was preferable for him to follow the route that every kid especially d-man should follow with a couple of years in the farm system.

Would he had done better than some veterans ? Probably but who cares ? Look where we got without him while making sure that he takes the time to refine his game for us to benefit for a long long time.

I don`t understand why we keep forgetting that even with skates on you need to grow and mature in life. It`s as if in Mtl they are drafted adults…

• CynicalHabsfan says:

But of course the nhl is a place to make mistakes. Price, Subban and Patch were all brought up quick and all made mistakes- they still do on occasion. They all developed into fine nhl players.
        Is it better for a kid’s development to stay in the ahl or to be brought up and learn from mistakes made with the big team? That’s a tough question, and probably depends on the individual. But if a kid is good enough to get nhl minutes, if you admit that he would have done better than the veterans, I think it’s worth the risk.

• JUST ME says:

Patch insisted on going back down if staying in MTL meant to play on the 4 th line remember ? Price and P.K. are exceptionnal athletes that also had to pay their dues . Although i like him a lot, i do not think Beaulieu is of the same caliber at least not now.

Honestly considering the % of succes of the farm team to get the draftees to the NHL compared to the Red Wings`successes, i would give it a try as Bergevin does to keep the kids at least two or 3 years in the AHL no matter what happens in the NHL. But let`s be fair also, i like it when Bergevin says show me that you belong in the NHL and i will make a place for you. So far he has…

38. Maritime Ronn says:

Grizzly says:
    To all of the Douglas Murray boosters out there:

You have been proven WRONG.
    ————————————–

Why does there have to be a right or wrong?
    Why can’t it all just be good?

I was waiting for this style of post from the Coach Therrien ‘dislikers’ that believe they know more about the Habs players than the collective wisdom of the total Habs organization.

Whatever way the insertion of Beaulieu worked out, the ammunition was there for the dislikers.

Beaulieu brain cramps leading to goals(it was close)?
    The cry would have been dumb move to put a rookie in.
    Beaulieu plays OK?
    The cry being a dump on Bouillon/Murray and the dumb coach for waiting so long.

As for “MT figuring it out,” do you actually believe he alone makes these decisions in some independent, far off silo?

These are decisions made by MT and GM Bergevin and his staff.
    They are the ONLY ones privy to ALL the player information.
    Only they know what’s really going on both on and off the ice and in different dressing rooms – be it Montreal or Hamilton.

Bergevin and his staff of 5 others ( Dudley-Carriere-Mellanby-Lapointe-Brisebois) have collectively experienced 5288 regular season NHL games and 474 NHL playoff games and Stanley Cups/Cup Finals to boot.

For some reason, I’ll trust their wisdom, because their total experience of 5762 NHL games is probably close to 5762 more NHL games than any poster here.

They believed the time for Nathan was last night
    ….just like the time for Subban’s very 1st NHL playoff game was Game 6 in 2010, when the Habs were losing the series 3-2 against the # 1 seed and President’s Trophy winner Washington Capitals….

• habs-fan-84 says:

Thank you. Great post Ron.

• Kelectro says:

I don’t know – Beaulieu played great last night and was a good fit for this game and series at this time, but everyone else on the team (playing or not playing) has contributed as hard as they could. Murray can’t skate, sure, but he crushed several Bruins in the games he did play. I like them both, they both have their roles.

“We done it!” – Patrick Roy

• D Mex says:

For a mind that operates in 2 directions on a good day, it always has to be up or down / east or west / right or wrong.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• mdp2011 says:

Come on Ronn, you’re going to trust all the years of experience of Dudley-Carriere-Mellanby-Lapointe-Brisebois over the years of posting on HIO of some of the posters here? Shows what you know.

• frontenac1 says:

Amen Amigo! Post of the day. Saludos!

• Hobie says:

Agree 100%.

• Kooch7800 says:

The Crazy part is Beaulieu is not as flashy as Subban but he is going to be a stud d man in the NHL for a very long time

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Ronn… I need to fill you in..

MT has a 10,000 square foot office with a wall of windows overlooking downtown, for some reason is always night when you enter his office. There is a desk and only one chair, high back with MT stitched into the ‘kidnapped human baby leather’ upholstery. He makes all decision alone, he actually owns the team and Molson is a puppet.

You have to hate Murray. You have to hate any player that was not in the game 6 lineup. Murray and Moen cost the team… Big Time. How else could you explain the 6 goal turn around from game 5 to 6?

Despite MT being an evil villain, the team is one game away from the ECF.

Hate the press box gang, CORSI and Fewnwick are more important than watching the game. Why watch when you can look at the numbers? Idiots.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Commandant says:

Such a straw man argument.

No one says to look at the numbers and not watch the game. NO ONE. So take that shit and put it back in your ass… where you pulled it out of.

The thing is, if you watch the game, Murray fails the eye test too. Can’t skate, can’t pass, always hemmed in his own end.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

I was at that game in 2010- best hockey experience of my life. One difference is that Subban had played a grand total of two NHL games prior to that point. Beaulieu has played over twenty, and has generally looked pretty darn good.
      I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people saying they disagree with the coach or gm, just like commenters might disagree with politicians, even though they have no experience in government. If I was a coach or gm, my team probably wouldn’t win a game all year. But as a fan, I’ve been wanting to see Beaulieu instead of Murray/Cube all season. I’m feeling pretty vindicated this morning.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, my team would win 72 games each year, and 8 straight cups.. Then I’d switch to managing baseball.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

That’s it? 2 sports? you suck Mcdougie….gotta be a 4 sport whiner in today’s golden age of whining to be taken seriously

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Oh, you didn’t know? I managed Lennox Lewis in high school and was the special advisor for the man that caddied for Annika When she shot 59.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• JUST ME says:

Very good comment Ronn. It`s as if we had to be right and not recognize that in it`s own way Murray brings a dimension that has helped the Habs this season. His specific abilities makes it so that we have to re-evaluate every game if he fits in but that does not make his a useless player.

• Cal says:

Murray showed what he could do. Last night, Beaulieu played ok. His assist on Patches’ goal was thanks to Eriksson reaching out and deflecting an icing. He slid around like Charlie Brown a couple times.
      The main thing, though, is the team won. He’ll be back for game 7. As Danno says, you can book it!

• The Gumper says:

I agree with your post 100% Ronn, there’s lots of things we are not privy to…

• Grizzly says:

Geez, i did not think one post could ruffle so many feathers. I was merely venting my frustration with a player who is pretty clearly a fringe NHLer. Whether you prescribe to sensible statistics or the ‘eye test’ it is quite clear the Beaulieu is a massive improvement over Douglas Murray.
      I’m sure Doug is a great guy, but come on people, it’s our right as fans to express who we feel should or should not play. Murray’s hits serve no purpose whatsoever other than ‘intimidation.’ Plenty of Habs laid bone-crushing hits last night, there’s no need for what the crankshaft brings in this lineup.
      And thanks for the condescension Ronn. No, I imagined no such silo, just Michel thinking to himself that putting in Murray for a ‘size advantage’ would be a good idea. Our record with him in the lineup speaks for itself, let alone the amount of scoring chances we produce vs. allow

39. habsguru says:

Marinaro with the Boston media is actually damn good radio.

shocking!

40. 24AW says:

so far so good, just one more win and B’s will become Teddy Bears.

41. Mr_MacDougall says:

Damn! I was so happy, until I found,out that the Habs will surely lose Game 7 because Markov tripped Chara.. What a waste.. May as well bring up a bunch of kids to get them experience..

Would have been a hell of a matchup.. Oh well…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

When will CBC retired that senile fruitcake Cherry?

• Strummer says:

He’s an example of how HINC is ratings-driven.
      Coaches Corner draws their highest ratings.
      Ratings drive ad revenue.
      If you notice Don has nothing to say.
      His segment is basically ads with his comments dumped in the middle.
      Same thing with his radio spots. Don talks about something from 40 years ago that no-one cares about wrapped in 3 minutes of commercials.
      ____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• third generation haber says:

When the educated (both academically and otherwise) outnumber the rednecks.

j.p. murray

• Captain aHab says:

Starting to think he’ll have to die before that happens.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• JohnBellyful says:

I would be perfectly happy if, tomorrow night, Cherry used his Coach’s Corner to talk about the Leafs, all Leafs, nothing but the Leafs for the entire segment.

• Fansincebirth says:

His pathetic commentary and overblown love for the Bruins and Leafs are beyond sickening. He was acting as if HE were the coach in his post-game last night, warning that the Bruins are going to ‘bring it’ next game mainly because of Markov daring to fell the stupid giant. So tired of his BS and HNIC in general. Time to retire the whole frigging bunch of them!

43. mdp2011 says:

Need to get something off my chest. Since the playoffs started, all I keep hearing from media guys, analysts, Don Cherry (never listen to him, just happened to catch post game comments), etc… is that the Habs shouldn’t “poke the bear”. I hate that stupid expression, “”poke the bear”and drives me nuts. F**K the bear!!! Not only did the Habs poke the bear last night, they’re going to stomp and kill the bear tomorrow night and send them to hibernation for the summer. Go Habs Go!!!!

I can actually endorse a Bearskin rug, if it comes at the expense of the Bruins. :)

Indeed, lets keep poking and lets destroy that bear indeed!

• Kooch7800 says:

Cherry was po’d that Boston got spanked. If the habs win this series he will be really mad. God willing the habs find away to finish of the Bruins on Wednesday. That would make this season no matter what happens after that.

The final year in which CBC gets to make profits off of its NHL productions, seems it would be only fitting that the Cdn. team they despise the most should provide their final paycheques!

• Timo says:

I don’t think anyone wants to f*** the bear. Not unless you are into animals and some other nasty stuff like that. And while I am totally against killing animals, this particular bear needs to die and die a painful death. So I say Kill the Bear.

44. Walmyr says:

Subban + Markov + Beaulieu = joy to watch!!!
    Gorges + Emelin + Weaver = Price’s shields!!!

What a game last night!!!
    CHeers!!!

45. BriPro says:

Since everything has been covered (didn’t check – but with over 1,000 posts since the game, I assume so), I only have one comment and one question…

John Belly…. You can come out of the corner now.

Question: to all of the DD bashers, answer me this:
    Who else on the team would have had the smaller stature, the hands and the vision to not only fit in he net behind Carrey, but also fast enough reflexes and smarts to clear the puck without closing a glove on it, preventing it from crossing the line?

Eh? C’mon smurf-bashers….. It’s not a difficult question!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
    Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

- John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

You don’t think Gionta could have fit in there?

• Paz says:

Gallagher? With a huge smile to boot!

What a game eh Ed? Love that MT had the round toys to be able to put Beaulieu in the lineup. I am hopeful he plays game 7 and plays as strong of better. We are going to need a great game from everyone on the roster in Game 7!

CHeers my friend!

• Paz says:

What a game! I was thrilled!
            Give Therrien full marks for inserting Beaulieu, and our overall speed was the difference in the game.

You play to your strengths in this world, not to your opponent’s.

We should live with our speed and die with our speed.

Anything can happen in game 7!

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks, Bri.
      What with the reaction to my comments on Lucic’s looks and support for Murray whose mojo is slo-mo, I was beginning to feel cornered.

I guess you didn’t see me already in the corner as well eh, I feel such shame that I cheered for a Hab player, whom I should have felt the exact same despisement for as so many others rightfully did.

I have been a bad Habfan John, I too am sorry.

• Timo says:

Francis Bouillon.

• JohnBellyful says:

Pacioretty?
      He plays small, right? Or was that someone else?

46. third generation haber says:

Let it be said, that no matter what happens in game 7, we proved that we can be every bit as good as the Bruins. Yes, we got some good bounces today, but we earned all 200 feet of ice.

DD, a guy I would have gladly benched, redeemed himself with a monster performance. Not just saving a goal, but the hard-nosed play he made to strip the puck and set-up the empty-net goal was very Gallageresque.

j.p. murray

• CalgaryHab says:

I agree. Regardless of what happens tomorrow this season can be considered a success. That said I sure hope we send the b’s home crying.

• third generation haber says:

Me, too. Losing today would have made for a long summer for us of the Canadiens faith.

This playoffs has been a useful measuring stick for us. Cup winners usually experience a good run or 2 like this one b4 they win it all.

Seeing us as a work-in-progress is not a popular stance on HIO, but I say it with total optimism.

Anything that is worthwhile doing in life requires enormous effort (years of it).

j.p. murray

• sCOTT1243 says:

Especially when many ranked Habs to be fighting for a playoff spot or just on the outside looking in. MB is definitely taking this team in the right direction.

47. Rad says:

The Habs were sure flying last night. Can’t call them the Flying Frenchmen anymore, although there was one Flying Frenchman, and you all know his name. Maybe call them the Flying Montrealers? As good as they were last night, Canadiens will have to be even better tomorrow night, but for one day we can enjoy a great win. Boston has to be feeling the heat today.

48. CalgaryHab says:

There is a misconception about Iggy and everything that he ‘meant’ to Calgary. While he is/was a bonified super star there were always rumour about a divided dressing room, who stays and who goes, ‘kiss the ring’ type aura about him. Many fans thought a Flame rebuild should take place 2 or 3 years before last and wanted iggy traded to get a much higher value. And we all know what happened when he was traded, he went to a lower bidder even though a better deal was in place, just to suit his selfish desires. I don’t think it’s coincedence that Calgary made strides last year with less talent.

Iggy’s antics with Markov last night were dispicable. Game out of reach and he’s trying to drop the gloves with someone that could count their fighting majors on one hand. I lost complete respect for him. I hope at his hall of fame induction there can be no mention of a Stanley cup. I wonder if the B’s re-sign him?

• Marc10 says:

I think they will resign him. He’ll become their Gionta and take less money.

Lots of kids coming up for the Bruins. If they lose Bergie, they are toast. They will also struggle to replace Chara. As these players age, an experienced hand will be needed to steady the ship.

I don’t know that he’s the guy like he used to be. Those days are behind him. The Bruins’ window is now. They could keep it going for a while, but I don’t think they’ll win a cup.

• Rad says:

Losing Seguin was a catastrophic mistake. They will be revisiting that trade for years.

• Cardiac says:

Agreed! What were they thinking? Seguin’s stock is still rising where Eriksson’s seemed to have plateaued several years ago.

- Jerry Maguire

The best player in that trade may undoubtedly be Seguin. But don’t forget the other players in the trade, Reilly Smith and that Matt Fraser kid who scored the OT winner the other night.

• Cardiac says:

The thing with Iginla is he always played with a certain edge and was never afraid to drop the gloves. However, playing for the Bruins sucks you into the goon mentality. Considering he played the better part of his career in the West, I rarely saw him play. But I never took him for a cheap shot artist. It’s only been since he joined the Bruins.

- Jerry Maguire

49. shiram says:

I’d say the positives from last night have already been well covered.

But last night also displayed some ugly stuff.

First the fans raining garbage on Lucic and Chara, and throwing garbage on the ice.
    Never like to see that.

There were also tweets of a Habs jersey with the name of the Boston marathon bomber, that was extremely awful.

There are morons everywhere and they use sports and big events like last night to gather attention to themselves, it’s annoying and I think the best to do is to ignore such behavior.

The focus should be on the incredible games being played in this series.
    It really feels like the Habs and Bruins can bring out the best out of each other, and that makes for great games!
    And I’m also glad to see the games have not degenerated into outright thuggery.

I had the Habs winning in 7, and I see no reason why that can’t be.

• Butterface says:

When you pay $450 for a ticket, you can throw what you like in the last 30 seconds of an out of reach game….especially if you throw garbage on top of garbage.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• shiram says:

It might be a question of mores and values, but I don’t think people should do such a thing, whatever money they paid.
        I did not like it when they threw stuff on Subban, and I did not like it when they threw stuff at Chara/Lucic.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The garbage was warranted IMO

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

50. HammerHab says:

I’m reminded of something Bergevin said back when he first took over….

“There are players who get you to the playoffs and players who get you through the playoffs”

And I must say Eller is helping us get through the playoffs! Eller is forgiven for any regular season woes in my books!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

51. Grizzly says:

To all of the Douglas Murray boosters out there:

You have been proven WRONG. Sure we love big hits, but you know what we (should) love more? BIG GOALS.

We as fans have been deprived of this current lineup for the vast majority of the season, and I’m glad MT figured it out in game 92.

Nathan Beaulieu was fast, skillful, fluid, and above all else you didnt cringe when he touched the puck. Also, he could actually make a pass; something lacking from the big lug/fringe NHLer Douglas’ game. Gee, who would have thought, young, fast and skilled would work better than old, slow and useless?

Here’s to Douglas Murray getting signed by Brendan Shanahan & CO this summer.

• Hobie says:

I think anybody who supports Douglas Murray likes Nathan Beaulieu or Jarred Tinordi better. The argument came down to Fankie Bouillon or Murray in the lineup. Which is really a tossup.

• twilighthours says:

Even crazier, we can actually like Doug Murray (the person he seems to be) and like the idea of being harder to play against in our own zone, but not actually think Murray is the right man for the job.

Cube is a better choice, and it would appear Beaulieu is too.

Man that kid can skate. He definitely needs a spot on the team next year.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the fact Beaulieu was brought in this series shows he will be on the team next year. Tinordi could be the 7th D man or back in Hamilton as the first call up. I would be ok with Weaver coming back for another year

• Hobie says:

I didn’t think he was an option at this point? He gets a spot next year 100%. I’m glad he didn’t get burned last night and still hope he’s OK in Boston when they get the last change.

The kid hasn’t played in months and has never played a professional playoff game until last night. I’m shocked (but happy) they dropped him in there.

Bouillon and Murray are gone next year 100%.

• The Jackal says:

Proven wrong? There’s a time and place for Crankshaft, and he did well in game 3. Yeah, he’s not really mobile or that skilled anymore, but intangibles are a big deal because they are a big deal, and Crankshaft helps the team out in that department and the players appreciate that greatly.

It was a good move to put in Beaulieu, and Crankshaft needed to sit either way, but he can be a useful player in the right situation, and that’s all the Murray boosters are really trying to say.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Commandant says:

we won game 3 because Price stopped the puck when Murray was on the ice. We won in spite of the team giving up a million shots when he was out there, not because of anything he did.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

So, you have to hate Murray? I like Frankie, Murray, a Tinordi, and Beaulieu.. What’s that make me? Wrong? I’m only aloud to like the starters? Is Whitey on the shot list too?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• frontenac1 says:

Game 2 Price faced over 50 shots and Murray wasn’t dressed! Get over it amigo.
          I said yesterday that I liked Nate being activated for the game. It was a roll of the dice and he came up 7 and 11. He has earned his spot for game 7 imo.

• The Jackal says:

Not saying Murray doesn’t have his warts, but he brings good things to the table that the other players are glad for.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• krob1000 says:

not only game 3…in one of the last reg season games he kept Chara and Lucic in check…that was big because every late season game vs the Bruins is an injury concern. His big hits are also not forgotten byt hte BRuins…I am sure they are still feeling the effects. He has at ime and place…the Habs needed to go faster last night…it paid off but let’s not forget it is the Bruins fast, young and inexperienced d who that hBas have cuaght napping several times as well.

• JohnBellyful says:

That’s what I like about the HIO fraternity. We stick together. Or else.
      God forbid we should offer a contrary opinion that differs from the herd’s.
      So what if it proves wrong. Does that make us stupid or bad? I guess.
      OKAY, I’M SORRY.
      Excuse me while I go sit in the corner.

• Butterface says:

Considering that was your first comment since joining HI/O on May 13, 2014 Grizzly, you can call everyone wrong on a lot of things. So far you are always right.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• third generation haber says:

Hey captain hindsight,

If we had a healthy heavy-weight in our forward lines at the moment Murray wouldn’t have been needed. In game 5, where we had no hope, Murray may be the only reason the Bruins didn’t go all Bruin on us.

Supporters of Murray, like me, are also Beaulieu supporters. Beaulieu is as good as he is b/c he’s gotten so much ice-time in the AHL. Putting him in today worked, but it was a gamble being that the pressure of an elimination game (being his 1st playoff game) may have been too much for him to handle.

j.p. murray

• D Mex says:

Is that you, ” omiT ” ? Classless, b!tchy post.

Murray brings an important element to the bench and the dressing room, and that’s just on the Boston side of this series.

Instead of being happy with our big win, here you are whining about a guy who gives his 100%, such as it is, every time he is dressed. He is a Hab right now and has earned respect – not crap – from Habs fans.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

52. Butterface says:

I am going to go on the assumption that MT has to play the same line up because if he doesn’t and loses, he will be berated forever.

A loss with the same line up and at least he can say he tried what seemed to work.

Going into Boston and pulling this off will be a huge feat.

Surviving the first wave of Boston pressure as the Bruins ride the emotional push from their fans and then grabbing the first goal will be the clichéd imperative of the Canadiens.

The piano-sized pressure on the chest of the Bruins will be our advantage.

It will be a war of wills.

I say the Habs will prevail. Chara will be the goat.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

53. boing007 says:

One more night, one more night …

Richard R

Virtuoso performances from our team last night. Now can we do a repeat performance in Boston? A cliche does fit, we need to score first, we have to get Boston on their heels. I am fearful of being able to comeback from behind in Boston.

55. HabsPooch says:

Great news in that Habs prospect Jacob De La Rose will either be in Hamilton or Montreal next season. He can bring size and toughness on the third line.

56. boing007 says:

My favourite Subban quote:
    No one remembers those who play average – PK Subban

Richard R

57. munch17 says:

Had to watch the NBC feed last night and listen to Pierre McGuire all night.
    Emelin is hitting people. He will be a target.
    Habs shouldn’t play Boston’s game.
    Habs will pay for being physical.
    Boston is a tough team. Play them tough.we have big strong guys.
    Shut up Pierre.

58. habsguru says:

i would like to thank CBC for demonstrating that the bruins are the only team in the NHL that hit posts/cross bars. the narrating by Healey was divine. 10 clangs…. yeah let’s celebrate something that isn’t even counted as a shot on goal.

my 11-year-old asked me during last night’s CBC opening “why are they only showing bruins highlights”

my response “they are uneducated”

• Kooch7800 says:

The thing is that is misleading about the cross bar is that when a goalie save that if there would have been a couple inches different on most shots it would be a goal as well.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

The only way to combat CBC’s terrible coverage and biased commentators is to turn it off.

RDS or NBC both do a better job.

• kalevine says:

NBC was in Bruins corner as well, but at least they are American. Too much from the Bruins perspective, not enough from Habs. Lots of mention of their missed open nets, none of Gallagher’s 2 missed golden opportunities. They even dissed the fans for wanting a blatant delay of game call on the Bruins defender who dislodged the net, comparing it to PK’s incident earlier in the series, when there was simply no comparison in the circumstances or the action.

So yes NBC is better than CBC, but far from unbiased. That Doc announcer and Keith Jones are fantastic though.

59. JF says:

Most of us complained about the new playoff formula, but it has certainly made for an exciting second round. The second round often tends to be one-sided; this year every series could go seven games.

Yup, heard the TSN panel talking about the same thing, indeed we have been treated to excellent 2nd round matchups. This doesn’t mean we have to think Gary was right though do we? :)

60. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

This sums it all up.

61. Maritime Ronn says:

Starting to enjoy the Habs adopted 20th Century warfare tactic.

When it’s not smart to try and go through or around an enemy’s most fortified position, just go over it to get where you need to be.
    …High flip pass over everyone – make the Bruins Dmen pivot and skate, which they do not do very well.

The belief from here before the series started was that if there was any weakness at all with the Bruins, it was their Bottom 4 Dmen along with some other mobility issues they have on the back end.

For most of the year, they were allowed to waltz out of their zone with no pressure, making guys like Hamilton and Krug look like all stars.
    Having that ease, allowed them to dominate the neutral zone – and we all saw how they can control play once in the offensive zone.

Habs forecheck pressure – with all committed and no passengers style, can win this series.
    Give them room to come out of their own zone with no fear – dominate the neutral zone, and the Habs lose.

62. Hobie says:

Last night was one of the best hockey games I’ve seen in years, WOW! From Vanek and Paciorrety leading the way, to the Bourque hit on Chara, the Subban slam of Lucic, it was a hell of a game!

I think we’ve found the answer to the ongoing debate of who should be the Habs 6th defenceman, his name is Nathan Beaulieu.

Murray adds a heck of a lot of toughness, his teammates love him but he’s just too slow. Regular season is fine for him. Thanks for coming out.

Bouillon is quicker than Murray, is tough as nails too, except that he has the reach of a 12-year-old and gets easily bumped off the puck.

Beaulieu is fast, has enough size and is skilled.

And how about Prust last night eh! He looked like he was 80% healthy! Better than his usual 50%.

63. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigo! What a game! Anybody else notice that whenever a Bruin had the puck Wham! Out hit,out shot and out scored them. Loved when Markov gave Lucy a little Russian sugar at the end of his hit. Mojo is back. Saludos!

64. captaink4life says:

The H I/O poll is currently at 76% Yes

Coincidence? I think not :D

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

65. monmick says:

We often read comments regarding Lucic and his hunched back. What many people fail to recognize, however, is that Lucic’s curved back is a result of a childhood disease that almost put an end to his hockey career. From wiki: “At the age of 15, he was diagnosed with Scheuermann’s disease, a condition that can cause the upper back to curve and has given Lucic a hunched over posture. ”

I realize that almost anything is fair game in the Montreal-Boston rivalry, and that trashing and hating the opposing players is, for the most part, in good fun. But I can’t help but to think that there are so many other things that Fans can razz Lucic about, without needing to refer to his disability (which must have been very devastating for him as a child). Kind of like making fun of Kessel because he lost a testicle to cancer, or Josh Harding because he’s got MS.

Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, but I still believe that some things should be out-of-bounds…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

66. kalevine says:

for some reason I find myself very pissed at Cherry today even though I didn’t see his last appearance. Habs give B’s a lesson in hockey and he talks about poking the bear yet again? That’s all he can say? I am starting to want our team to win more to see him cry than any other reason. But he will never give the Habs credit – there will be some excuse

• BJ says:

Can’t blame him, he’s been in mental hibernation for about 30 years.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Habs poked the bear last night by winning? Right, Don… “Oh no…. how dare you wake up the Big Bad Bruins by winning! Now you’re in trouble!”

The Habs poked the bear last night all right… from behind with the bear bent over a log.

X X X X X X X 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• DipsyDoodler says:

So we should have lost in order to have an easier time against them during the next regular season game?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• New says:

Cherry also predicted the Canadiens would win game six and as for game seven just shrugged.

I think Cherry is trying to explain to those who listen that you don’t antagonize Chara because he holds a grudge and is mean. Max and he had running battles a little while ago. Max scored with Chara the goat. That happens, Chara’s size is his strength and a liability. But then Max shoved Chara dismissively. Next meeting Chara put Max’s head into the turnbuckle, deliberately by accident, with a full speed hit from behind. Chara can lose his mind and control because all he has is his self-image. Tear that apart and he’ll rebuild it with your skull.

67. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

The crossbar and goalpost’s have become the 4 star for the Habs.
    With this teams fragile ego if they had scored there who knows how the game might have gone.
    On the other hand you make you own luck and the team as a whole played very well last night.

68. CalgaryHab says:

My favourite play last night was Bourque’s hit on Chara. He can suck next regular season as well and I’ll remember that play and forgive him. He’s had a great play-off.

69. Marc10 says:

Captain Kirk as an assistant to Hitch in St Louis.

70. krob1000 says:

So yesterday I am on here about Bournival not being able to play with Pleks and he comes out with an incredible game IMO he wsa the Habs hardest working forward.

DD played a pretty solid game with his save in the crease and a couple of other good defensive plays. He is still searching for his offensive game but he did many small things right that if he does every night make his lack of production of late a non issue. He needs to play inspired like that and then eventually the offense will come….he was involved in several dirty plays last night, dirty goal mouth scrums at both ends, along the boards, etc…he needs to do this more often!!

Beaulieu looked dangerous…for both teams lol. He had a couple of times where he could have got caught…didn’t …but could have. He also jumped into a few rushes very smartly but Habs forwards were not used to that and ignored him…if they get the hang of it he will add a new dimension moving forward.

Weaver and Gorges were rock solid….good for Weaver for going at Chara.
    Eller…easily the most consistent forward of the playoffs…he is everywhere and notw that his confidence is back he is back again to making smart decisions witht he puck nearly every time….funny how much confidence affects a players decision making.
    Subban–no need to go there….best player on both teasm in both rounds.

Price-Team looks different when he is looking composed…there were two instances though where he overslid….and pucks ended up back on the side he left…he got away with it but that is still his biggest weakness.
    Prust….looked healthy…that is his game every game when healthy…guy can play…but at 70 percent he is best out of teh lineup.
    Gallagher-had some tough luck but still an energizer bunny and effective as always
    Vanek-This guy has two speeds -with teh puck and without. I didn;t even know he could skate until he carries the puck and all of the sudden you don;t notice his weak skating anymore. Who cares though when he is on like last night…he was making ridiculous passes and seems to be able to somehow slow the entire game down, find a spot to stand (some may argue taht is him skating) and he makes plays from there…I seriously think he could move around ina phone booth on wheels and still outsmart the rest of the players….when hittings are going bad he is hard to watch…but when things are going good it is a sight to see

Pleks was much better and Weise is proving to be one heck of an acquisition…his speed and tenacity make the fourth line fun to watch….I really hope he becomes a long time Hab…he is growing on me more every day.Weise remidns me of a young Travis Moen.
    Briere

71. Marc10 says:

This Habs man crush dedication goes out to Mike Weaver… aka, Dream Weaver.

Mike… May I call you Mike? You sir were one seriously under-appreciated defenceman. Well those days are over. I’m petitioning the mayor on Twitter to put the Dale Weise statue in ‘Place Mike Weaver.’

Holy shot blocking virtuoso performance batman! That’s two series of awesome. Let’s just play you with the kid Beaulieu all season next year. 3-year deal? How does that sound?

• Ozmodiar says:

McGuire calls him l’il Mikey. ;)

• Sprague and Odie says:

There was a game 2 – 5 on 3 PP where Weaver and Gorges put on a defensive exhibition that was simply outstanding.

Weaver deserves a raise!

• Marc10 says:

Yep. He answered the bell and now he’s going to get paid. It is what it is…

Hey, PK keeps going and he’ll be in the conversation for another individual trophy… with a Maple Leaf on top. That’s going to be costly…

• kalevine says:

It would be mutually beneficial to come to a fair agreement, how much that means I don’t exactly know, but we need a player like him and he needs a hockey town like Montreal that wants a winner!

• Forum Dog says:

8 years at $7.5M per. An even $60M. I think that is a contract that both sides could agree to. He is definitely worth it, and a $7.5 cap-hit is manageable if the return is an elite D-man. The days of 12 year contracts are over, and Subban could try and demand $8M/year, but hopefully he realizes that the goal is to build a perennial contender and that the team needs room for other pieces and contracts. Fingers crossed……

Now is definitely the time get him on a long-term deal though. Another RFA year is pointless. The guy is in his prime and delivering at the top of his game. If they try and string him along with another “bridge” contract they are fools.

• Luke says:

I hate the Hindsight conversations & Mirtle’s isn’t a very good one.

Tyler Myer’s contract (amongst so many others) serve as counter point.

Same with the ‘we shoulda drafted…’

We should have drafted Getzlaf.
      We could have drafted 6’6″, 230lb Hugh Jessiman as well.

PK and the Habs agreed to a contract, PK has delivered. He’s earned his raise. Good for him.

• Sprague and Odie says:

PK’s in the driver’s seat.

If he goes for a shorter term, he has his eyes on eventually playing in NYC or LA.
      Longer term, he’s a dedicated Hab.

This guy could make Wayne Gretzky like coin in the states.

72. Ozmodiar says:

I agree with Commandant about the league not setting a suitable precedent with the fine to Lucic.

The same can be said about the Thornton water bottle incident.

Ozmodiar
    May 11, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Bruins making a mockery of the NHL again.

The fine shows other players that they can do this without much consequence. Just like the groin poke, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen again soon.

… and wha da ya know, later that night, King Henrik…

73. habsguru says: