About last night …

gally,marchand

You just know the great Martin St. Louis will play his heart out on Mother’s Day.
Inspired by the future Hall of Famer, whose mother suffered a fatal heart attack Thursday, the Rangers staved off elimination in Pittsburgh Friday night and may do so again at Madison Square Garden in Game 6 on Sunday.
The Canadiens’ season could end Monday night when Boston visits the Bell Centre.
Will anyone in bleu-blanc-rouge step up like St. Louis and his fellow Blueshirts?

The 4-2 final score in Game 5 flattered the Canadiens.

Boston dominated every aspect of play in all three zones. They showed the toughness, composure and will to win of a team that’s been to the Stanley Cup final twice in the last three years.

The Canadiens?

They played like the team that was unceremoniously bounced out of the opening round by Ottawa last spring.

In his postgame remarks, Michel Therrien trotted out the clichés. His team “lost a battle, we didn’t lose the war.” The Canadiens will continue to play “one game at a time.”

Therrien thought the Canadiens began Game 5 with a good level of intensity. The coach said Boston’s power-play success shifted momentum and gave the Bruins confidence.

Know what I remember about the beginning of the game?

Brad Marchand pitchforking Brendan Gallagher to the ice before the puck was dropped on the opening faceoff. That bit of rodent aggression set the tone for a dominant and home-team performance that culminated with Shawn Thornton spraying a water bottle on P.K. Subban from the Boston bench.

On the eve of Mother’s day, Marchand and Thornton were telling the Canadiens: “We’re your Daddy.”

In the NHL, that degree of disdain demands push-back. And to their credit, Gallagher and P.K. played tough, in-your-face hockey on every shift.

Their teammates? Not so much.

Tomas Plekanec was conspicuously awful. In addition to taking three minor penalties, Plekanec was the goat on the first goal of the game.

After committing a brain-dead dump from his side of the centre line, Plekanec lost the defensive-zone faceoff to Carl Soderberg. He then failed to cover the Bruins centre, who blasted a Loui Eriksson feed past Carey Price.

The Douglas Murray Hate Brigade will point out the lumbering defenceman should have done a better job covering Eriksson behind the Canadiens’ net. But having Murray on the ice in that situation accentuates the need for Plekanec to see to his D-zone knitting.

And he didn’t.

The Canadiens didn’t lose because of Plekanec. But an off-night by their most reliable centre set the tone for a bad night at the office for his fellow veterans, the guys who are supposed to be leading this team.

Brian Gionta, who is usually a shooting machine, had one shot on goal and missed the net with another. Linemates Rene Bourque and, to a lesser degree, Lars Eller reverted to the form they’d displayed during their disappointing  regular seasons.

Max Pacioretty played nearly 21 minutes. He had six shots on Tuukka Rask, plus one miss and three the Bruins blocked. Everything Max tried, however, was from the perimeter. Nothing in close, no rebounds attacked by the 39-goal scorer.

Thomas Vanek had one shot on Rask. That’s one more than he had in Game 4. Vanek had no shots in Game 1, three in Game 2, when he scored twice on redirections, and one in Game 3.

Despite impressive leftime stats in games against Boston, Vanek has played  like a guy with impending unrestricted free agency on his mind. He played excellent hockey during the latter weeks of the regular season, and Vanek looked like a great trade-deadline.

But now that the games mean something … Hey, if Minnesota wants to give him more than $50 million, good luck to them.

A big difference between the Bruins and Canadiens: Milan Lucic isn’t scoring, but he dishes out seven bone-jarring hits to lead both teams in that department. Max and Vanek aren’t scoring, and you can put their pictures on milk cartons.

Another difference: While the David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron lines aren’t lighting things up, the Soderberg-Eriksson-Matt Fraser line is on fire. The Canadiens lack even-strength fire power on all three scoring lines.

The power play produced goals by Gallagher and P.K. But with the Bruins parading to the box when the game was in balance during the first period, Daniel Brière might have helped a power-play that was crap through three opportunities.

Therrien has made many good decisions during the regular season and playoffs. Inserting Brandon Prust – no shots, one hit in 8:38 of ice time – wasn’t one of them.

On L’Antichambre, Denis Gauthier said he’d have no problem sitting Brière for last season’s Brandon Prust. But scratching a proven playoff scorer for a physical player who’s too banged up to play physical hockey?

Many issues to be chewed over at Sunday brunches in Montreal.

But be nice to your Mom. It’s not her fault the Canadiens are blowing this series.

1. gmur says:

I think they can do it. Players have to step up and play hard.

I think they will in Montreal.

2. The Jackal says:

Habs are still very much in this.
    I usually give MT the benefit of the doubt but his moves in games 4 and 5 have been detrimental to the team.

IMO keep rolling the 4th line that was great against TB and shut Prust down for the year. He would play crippled if he could, he is a heart and soul warrior but right now he is hurting himself and the team by playing hurt and ineffectively.

The first line also has to get going. I hope they shake em up a bit but still, keep playing them but roll the guys who are playing best. I don’t know if putting Beaulieu in is a good idea but it’s worth a shot at home with last change. Play PK 30 mins a night and forget about matching pairings, he can play with anyone, let the game plan revolve around him.

3. Thomas Le Fan says:

Torture watching this series on NBS. Pierre McGuire is a total douche and unless NBC stands for National Boston Co-operative, they couldn’t be more biased in favour of the Bruins.
    Anyway, I had to go out with the score 3-0 and we totally sucked last night. Someone had better wake up our scorers or this could be over quickly. However, I think it will go seven now. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

4. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Vanek wants to play in Minn he will have to take a discount with the way he’s playing. They’re better off resigning Moulson for cheaper $$$.

I was going to start speculating on off-season moves but the series is far from over. You don’t just quit on your team at 3-2. Every game is an adjustment and the Habs will make theirs. If they get to game seven, who knows what will happen. Look at the Pitt series from years ago.

5. PrimeTime says:

This is Boone’s last year blogging on this site, right?? Worse than watching the haters on CBC and Sportsnet combined. I guess all the years of living in Montreal, witnessing a great city that once was, would depress anyone. I have fond memories growing up there and love visiting but it’s the only reason that I can think of as to why Boone writes as if tomorrow will always be worse than yesterday. Maybe travel a little Boone. Meet a lady friend. Being sad while aging is a bad mix. Time to hang em up old friend.

• RockinRey says:

Nothing wrong with Boone blogging. He doesn’t sugar coat things. I reside in Toronto and am the biggest fan of the Habs but I dont get bent about Don Cherry the CBC or Leaf centric coverage.

Boone does a great job!!!

——————————————————————————————————
      ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• RockinRey says:

Not everybody lives in worlds that revolve around Easter bunnies, puffy clouds and dove commercials and those commercials with toilet papers and Kittens…..

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• PrimeTime says:

I thought you said you lived in Toronto???….the center of the universe??

• RockinRey says:

Yup

——————————————————————————————————
          —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Mavid ® says:

I am pretty sure thats not what he expects..I do find he can be a tad over negative at times.. thats all..If he was that bad nobody would come and read, and follow along..he’s not..but I do understand were Prime Time is coming from.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

6. Commandant says:

Therrien made a critical coaching mistake before the game even started.

He dressed a lineup that was his best attempt at preparing for a street fight in Boston.

I’m sorry, but this Habs team…. in fact no team in the NHL… is going to beat the Bruins at that type of game. Attempting to play the game on their terms is suicide.

Instead play to this team’s strengths, the areas where this team can beat the Bruins and can take advantage of them. Namely, Speed. Prepare a lineup that will go out and win a track meet and then coach a strategy to outskate Boston all night long.

Kinda like the team that put up multiple breakaways earlier in the series.

But that would be playing to your strength, playing the Habs best possible game, instead of trying to engage Boston on their terms.

• Hobie says:

As much as I respect guys like Prust and Murray, I agree with you buddy. If Prust is 100% healthy you maybe play him but he looks injured, slow and like a liability. I was surprised when he was in over Briere.

I stick up for Murray and don’t use him a a scapegoat like many others but Bouillon and Weaver should have been playing together last night. The Habs are at their fastest with those two and not one of the two with Murray.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Ben. Sitting Briere was a mistake especially for Prust who has been crap for a season and a half.

The reason why we are losing though is our top 6 are not playing like top 6. PK and Price our the teams true gamers. Eller and Bourque have played well but Vanek, patch and dd are not helping their playoff underperformer tag. Max and dd have never delivered in the playoffs.

Galchenyuk is missed

• Hobie says:

Very true Kooch, maybe Therrien made a small blunder but it would have easily been camouflaged if guys like Pacioretty, Vanek and Desharnais did their jobs!

• Kooch7800 says:

Their top line is starting to produce and ours sadly is not. Time to shake up the lines. I would put Eller in between Vanek and patch. Bourque and Gio with Pleks.

• Commandant says:

Their top line hasn’t produced in this series.

Yes our top line can be better and they should.

However that doesn’t change the fact that in such a close series… With 4/5 games being basically decided by one goal (two empty netters inflate the scores) that one goal can make the difference… no matter which player that comes from be it a good play or a mistake on the fourth line or third d pairing.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MT has basically given up on what got him through the first round: a dangerous fourth line. I would have rather had Connor Crisp than Moen and Prust last night…not kidding…okay I am…LOL.

7. CHicoHab says:

2014 playoffs. Bruins are 7-3. Habs are 6-3. By the time it’s said and done. Bruins 7-5. The Habs 8-3. Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!! It’s possible.

8. New says:

I sense…disappointment…?

• Timo says:

Yes. Disappointment… however, not unexpected. All year Habs showed that they can’t play against a stifling physical team that clogs the neutral zone… So once Bruins got their sh!t together and took Habs space away, there are really no surprises because Habs forwards are not built for physical hockey. Two years wasted away with god knows how many more to go.

9. Psycho29 says:

Phew! That makes it all better!!

Retweeted by Dave Stubbs
    Claude Julien says of the water bottle incident, “I can’t support Shawn on those actions.”

• PrimeTime says:

“Can’t” is the key word. But I bet he does in the room.

10. Hobie says:

I believe Rene Bourque is injured. I’m thinking Tomas Vanek is banged up as well, maybe from the collision with PK Subban? Or Vanek is simply playing it safe to avoid being injured before his big pay day in a month and a half. David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty just plain stink right now!

I’m Brandon Prust’s number one fan on this site but the guy is damaged goods and I was disappointed before the puck dropped to see him in there over Danny Briere.

I would have also liked to have seen Fankie Bouillon in there over Doug Murray. Not because I think Murray is terrible, he’s slow don’t get me wrong, but the Canadiens were at their best this playoff with Bouillon and Weaver playing together and they didn’t have the benefit of the last change yesterday.

After saying all that….

We have a damn good hockey team here when things are clicking! If Pacioretty, Vanek and Desharnais wake the heck up tomorrow, Price is on and his defence plays well in front of him, we have just as good of a chance as Boston of winning the game. The Canadiens better be flying tomorrow or it will be a major disappointment.

The Bruins really don’t look like the team they have been the last few years. It would be such a shame to let this opportunity slip by to beat them with the quality team the Habs have!

• SPATS says:

Agree with all except I think Bourque is not injured but has yet to recover from the flu. It’s nasty this year, and he probably should have skipped game 4 but what can we do. Sweating and losing fluids are his downfall. I hope we see Briere and White in the next game – in the place of Prust and Vanek. Vanek is either injured or phoning it in because he’s already tired of MT and the line juggling. Last change will help and Plex needs to step up and stay outta da box! How crazy was that? 3 minor$ really hurt us and we didn’t have our best PK man. Predictable outcome.

• JUST ME says:

I also believe that some are not playing 100 % healthy but do not understand why then we would leave guys like Whitey or Beaulieu or Tinordi out when they could bring a much needed spark although it would be a tad late to do so now.

I think the Habs have reached a new plateau and are not the Boston Bruins toys anymore. That being said we may not have enough yet to beat them but are damn close. Yesterday`s game does not indicate how things went so far in this serie although the big picture it does reflect an edge towards the Bucking fruins.

When all is said and done and we take the tme necessary to analyze everything, we will be quite happy with the results although i think that this organization needs to go to the next step in their goals wich is Stanley cup or bust ! For now they are still only aiming to make it to the playoffs…

• Hobie says:

I love Tinordi but he didn’t quite look ready for the show when he was given his shot towards the end of the year. Beaulieu did seem ready to me but who am I to say? At this point, you can’t drop either one of them into the playoffs!

And is White an upgrade over Briere or an injured Prust? Maybe…

Oh, I agree with you we’re not quite the Boston Bruins yet, I said there’s a 4.5/10 chance we beat them, but were’ past the point of just hoping to make the playoffs.

The Habs are better or equal to any Eastern Conference team, other than Boston, IMO. Kinda crappy we had to meet Boston in the 2nd round.

• FlyAngler says:

Hobie, Beaulieu was ready, but he is not MT’s kind of player hence his return to Hamilton so that MT could stick with Frankie, Weaver & Murray. Unlike Tinordi, Beaulieu really didn’t have any bad games and in the games he played in he was steady and showed poise IMO.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• Hobie says:

I agree! I’m not sure about the part where he’s not a Therrien type of player though. I’m only guessing that something about Beaulieu’s attitude isn’t quite there yet? No coach or GM, not just Therrien, would put up with that. The coach, GM, assistants, plus a few others all sit down and evaluate players, I think? It’s not just Therrien saying “Send him down”.

Anyway, I don’t think Bouillon or Murray is back next season and we’ll see at least two of Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn.

11. HabFab says:

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE: Fined Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton $2,820.52 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

• Adidess says:

There you go! That will learn Shawn Thornton -)

• frontenac1 says:

Thornton is a myth. He is not taken seriously in enforcement circles anymore. He is reduced to squirting water from the bench. Pathetic.

• Hobie says:

The incident pisses me of as well. I think what pisses me off more is the grin of Thornton’s face while he’s laughing after.

Anyway, the only way we can get back at him is to win the game tomorrow and hopefully Subban or someone else levels Thornton.

Like Murray did the other night.

12. PrimeTime says:

“…..Canadians blowing this series.” Maybe Boone should post ALN literally the day after with some sober afterthought. If the Habs are going to lose game 5, as expected on the road in a great series, I’m glad they did so not playing their best. It will motivate to them to do at home what Boston did to them last night – play their best. This is going 7 and it’s going to be a great game, and that’s what this is all about. Fantastic being a fan of either team. GHG!!

13. Habsbill24 says:

I think Crosby should be scratched for tonight’s game. After all he has only one goal in eleven games, worse than Max’s one goal in 9 games. Makes sense right?

14. gauver says:

I am really disappointed in Pacioretty’s playoff performance this year and last. He is a good player with very good stats this regular season and therefore likely had value to other GMs. I think we have seen enough to conclude that he doesn’t have the requisite courage to be an effective playoff performer. If I was MTL GM, I would approach Edmonton about a trade; Pacioretty and Gorges for Taylor Hall and a 4th round pick. If your were the MTKL Gm, would you make that trade? If you were the EDM GM, would you make that trade?

15. howiemorenz7 says:

I’m sure I am the 323rd person in this thread to echo PK’s comments about “what if I did that to Thornton”. $2820.00 fine, what a flipping joke for what is truly unsportsmanlike conduct, an act typical of Bruins all the way to Jacobs (who of course is the real NHL boss), and many of their fans. Sickening.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• BJ says:

You can ad to that the crosscheck delivered by Marchand on Eller. Like I’ve mentioned a few times here over the last years, we need two more players and possibly one of them a beast to just go after Marchand during the regular season and to hell with an instigator penalty, misconduct or suspension. His nose needs to be pushed in a foot or so and he’ll still have enough to breathe. Seeing that NHL does not do anything about flagrant penalties, then you take the law into your own hands.

• Clay says:

Let’s not overlook the Rat throwing Gally’s helmet to the Zamboni door. That’s also got to be a penalty at the least. It’s as ‘unsportsmanlike’ as it gets IMO, and yet, somehow, another free pass gets issued.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• frontenac1 says:

Thornton is a myth. He is not a threat anymore since he was tuned by Scott. He has had 10 fights since then and won only one against Barch last Nov. Did you see PK giving him the business against the boards last night? And all Thornton can do is squirt water on him? Hilarious.

16. billylove says:

Is Prust injured or is this just about all that Prust has left in his tank? Did the Bourque, Eller magical return to glory end just as suddenly as it started? Will DD and Max see their season’s end just as they started?

• Clay says:

These questions—and many others—will be answered in the next episode of Hockey Night in Canada.

__________________________

• BJ says:

He has to be hurt. He has too much fire to not give his 100%. I remember him recently walking by in one of those dressing room interviews and he was heavily taped around the ribs. Maybe one of the Gazette guys covering the Habs has seen him and could report on it. Then again I can understand if the wouldn’t as I remember some photos I’ve taken over the years when I had access to players have remained unpublished….

17. Psycho29 says:

Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has been fined $2,820.52, the maximum permitted under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct during Game 5

18. HabsPooch says:

My feeling is if the Habs had played Beaulieu and tinordi from the start of the season then we would have had three solid defensive pairings to work with in these playoffs. Time of possession by the Habs would be significantly increased and more offensive chances created. It’s very simple. ..this is where they screwed up. The Bruins are very comfortable in rolling their three pairings without worrying about match ups.

• boing007 says:

Agree completely. MT, JJ and whomever else were too conservative.

Richard R

• Ton says:

its short term pain for long term gain right…………..do bruins could do it not sacrifice there positions in the standing…….habs could have been out of playoff spot if Beaulieau and Tinordi were in……but I get you at some point they have to break in these guys……….I say its time to let go of the some the core and bring in the youngsters…..i think we may pay the price in the standing next year but still win a spot in the playoffs

• JUST ME says:

They are kids and have a tough time in a man`s world. Maturity is not something you can buy or teach. Only time does his job and gets them where they can go. D-man is the toughest job and i`d rather see them feel superior in Hamilton then inferior in MTL. I want them long term with the team not just to win NOW ! Do not do like the Sens relying on an entirely young D-squad ,letting experience go away and gaining nothing.

19. tophab says:

we will not use our young guys yet we once won the cup with 11 rookies on the team. patrern belieu tinordi. they should be playing .

Just when you think there are no other hockey players you could hate more than Marchand and Lucic.

24.4 Cups

• Paz says:

My daughter is lucky enough to attend a very respected Prep school in the States.

She has friends who were born in Russia. These are 17, 18 year old girls who are very bright and well educated.

They and their families have nothing but praise for Putin and his policies. He is bringing back the “pride” associated with the CCCP.

Where is this taking us?

Oh the humanity!

• SPATS says:

Critical thinkers see through Putin’s image building and more importantly we see through his image beating by our side. There are very few good guys anymore and NO statesmen. Putin no longer trusts the financial braintrust at the IMF and BIS and seems determined to start a new financial order bypassing the US Dollar. China is the wildcard and our oilsands and pipeline projects are at stake because the US doesn’t want or need our bitumen but China has invested in Fort McMurray and will want to see a ROI. Putin is happy to turn the taps off in Europe (through Ukraine) and sell his surplus to China which will really get all of our attention. They have stopped using the US Dollar for their current transactions and that is where it gets dangerous. Putin also enjoys the support of many large underrepresented emerging economies (BRICS). It is all fluid and happening in the shadows of stories like the missing plane and the missing schoolgirls. The tit for tat sanctions are the he prelude. Whether it escalates with serious violence from the US side to preserve reserve currency status remains to be seen. When you back a rabid pitbull into a corner the consequences are fairly predictable. I’m not sure who the pitbull is though… There seem to be quite a few on all sides and most of them have an unsatisfied cold war mentality.

Don’t be surprised if Markov isn’t back next year.

• BJ says:

What you say is true with the dollar. But can you blame any country for not buying into the dollar, which is basically bankrupt? The Federal Reserve (which is actually a group of private banking families and has nothing to do with the USA government and of no benefit to the good folk of the USA) is printing worthless dollars that are not backed by anything but air.

• Clay says:

SPATS – nice to see someone with a firm grasp of international politics. Well summed up, IMO.
          BJ as well, for that matter. :)

__________________________

• SPATS says:

Thanks brother. I’m doing my armchair part to awaken the sleeping masses before they get the rude awakening which appears inevitable at this point. Just for you and BJ I offer this outstanding blog and series of essays: http://www.philosophyofmetrics.com
            CHeers

• Clay says:

That’s some good reading – thanks for the link! I’m also trying to do my part – although I largely leave it for other forums. I try to stick to the Habs here, but sometimes it’s difficult. Some things just need to be said.

__________________________

• frontenac1 says:

Putin is a KGB Commie Bast#rd.

• HabFab says:

Ed, Putin takes the blame for things in Russia but IMHO as someone who has studied the region for 35 years. He just represents his constitutions… part of the reason the West has problems reading the scenario. They want to believe that Russians wants to be part of the West and is just being held back by Putin and his cronies… nyet!

• BJ says:

I spent some time in Russia and the people are great there. The image that they (mainstream BS media) create of Russia is false. Believe it or not (as it may seem not believable for some) the people there are just like you and I. I think Putin is doing exactly what he has to do to keep a balance of power and has my full support. I for one am extremely tired of the BS propaganda delivered on behalf of the USA,GB, Israel and NATO. The only real aggressors on the planet at this time.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I do not see the Us, Gb, Israel and Nato sending armed militants into a sovereign country. …which is an act of aggression…..

• BJ says:

Do your homework on that, you won’t get it on CNN, CBC etc.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Well even That excuse of a president said his troops were in Crimea. with an election at gun point.

• SPATS says:

Well said but his bias in completely understandable and he has my sympathy for the facts on the ground in his homeland

• HabFab says:

You mean that Crimea didn’t try to secede in 1992 and 1995 also, just to be told no by Yeltsin. I feel for Ukraine, but there are no Good Guys* in this one… only victims.

* includes our government too, I’m afraid.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

If you compare Putins tactics to Hitler. It is identical.

• HabFab says:

Bud, I feel for you but did you see the video of the new Kiev appointed Governor for Kherson get up and lecture the Veterans that they had fought for the wrong side as Hitler was actually the good guy.

It is best we keep this site for the Habs.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

See this is what non Ukrainians do not get… So no point in me starting. If Russia ever comes and trys to knock out our country… I will return and fight.

• Clay says:

Hey UKRANIANhab, I hate to point this out, but….are you seriously suggesting that the USA, GB, Israel and NATO have never sent armed militants into a sovereign nation? Because that’s kind of their MO. I could provide a list, but it would take hours to write it out.

__________________________

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Hi there. Nope. But they have done it with reasonable grounds.

• Clay says:

Umm….reasonable grounds you say? I beg to differ, for the most part, on that claim.Unless you think taking oil constitutes ‘reasonable grounds’. They have overthrown more democratically elected governments than any other nation since their inception.
            But that aside, here’s a good list of their aggression.

*Edit*
            This is not in defence of Putin’s actions in any way. I’m not a fan.
            __________________________

• Paz says:

How does Israel make that list, and not Iran?

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Bingo

• HabFab says:

Steve, check out his linemates in the game. Pavel Bure and another ex-NHLer.

• ooder says:

still more goals than pacioretty!

21. 4m3y2j says:

Well,I was hoping for a more upbeat Sunday but last night quashed that wish.I hate this f^56ing bruin team,that classless thorton and that little worm /rat(fill in your own adjective)Marchand with his small mans syndrome.I wouid love to see him decapitated .
    Anyway,tomorrow night they need a full 60 minutes,have the heart of PK,Gallagher,Weiss and Carey and since it could be his last game in MTL. why doesn’t Gio honor his role and be the leader of this team.
    I do think Max Pac is trying hard,frustrated,same fro Deharnais,Vanek is MIA;without question.I am by no means a tactician and to see this guy just turn the puck over and give up on the play so many times last night is so offensive;he is phoning it in.Where the hell has Bourque gone ?They cannot play to lose tomorrow night(or they surely will)they need to claim ownership of the Bell Center and reclaim momentum in this series.THEY CAN DO IT !No passengers and NO EXCUSES,remember that slogan ?
    john slattery

22. port elgin says:

let’s all take a deep breath and enjoy the sunshine today

Habs win the next one

Then Game 7

Fell better?

23. Louisville says:

I would like an explanation from the in charge referee about why rat Marchand does not get more penalties. They obviously know about all his dirty stuff. They’re supposed to review videos of the games they ref. it really stinks to high heaven and having daddy Campbell in the head office only makes all of it stink even more.

• mksness says:

LET THE PLAYERS PLAY!!!!! tough hockey… blah blah blah

vicious cross check after the whistle are kool lol

what i loved was how rask was able to get 2 shots to the head of pleks without a call. pleks deserved a penalty no doubt but that doesn’t give the other team 2-3 free shots after the fact…

24. CranbrookEd says:

Enough with the talk about wasted energy and PK . . . at least he was using some of his energy, unlike a number of other players.

Two of the smallest players on the (supposed) first line against a tough physical opponent is lunacy.

Enough with Max needs to be playing with little Davey. Put Max out there with another center such as Eller, it is not as if his production will fall.

Next year (I am still behind the team for winning this series) the coaching staff needs to integrate at least two more of the younger players. This continued use of the journeyman player at the end of their career at the (almost) total exclusion of a younger player that may well have more to offer (yes, including errors which ALL players make) than the journeyman. Building for the future means getting these younger players actual experience on the ice rather than from the pressbox.

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

25. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Well, take all that money that they were going to give Vanek, and give it to PK.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

You know what, it bugs me to ask this question: Did Marc Bergevin made the right decision to sign both Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais those long-term contracts?

In Vanek’s case, he really does not care about whether the Habs lose this series. He’s getting paid ‘to play.’ So, the GM is going to have a lot of tough decisions to make come off season.

• Phil C says:

A long term contract is fine as long as it is moveable. Pacioretty has one of the best contracts in the league and would get a great return on the trade market. DD’s was probably a year or two too long. But the cap hit is low enough that it is probably moveable.

26. Arnou Ruelle says:

One of the questions I said about the Habs before was, are they taking the Bruins seriously. Well, Game 6 is tomorrow and right now, its the calm before elimination.

MT’s coaching style is again questionable. He does not call timeouts when the team is down by a point and he keeps changing line combos. Patches and Vanek need to get back with DD. Let them stay on the first line. Gally should be reunited with either Larry or team up with Pleky. Other than that, Chucky has to come back! Put Brière and Boullion back in. Take out Moen, Prust, and Murray in the lineup – these 3 players are slowing the game. I don’t know why Therrien is NOT working with the team’s main strength: “Speed.”

If there’s still anything left to salvage the series and make Monday a chance to give fans like us a bit of hope, NOW is the time for them to do it right.

Frankly speaking, they blew it on the last 3 games!!

27. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thornton is such a classless idiot. You just know that this guy was a bully on the sandlot when he was growing up.

A bully, and not smart. What if another player had been lining PK up for a hit when he squirted water on his visor? Or what if the refs actually saw him interfering from the bench and assessed the Bruins a bench minor, and the Habs had scored to make it 4-3?

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

28. Strummer says:

Changing the playoff format this year did the Habs no favours.
    Based on previous years formats’ we would be playing the Pens now.
    One more round for the Bruins to osften up and Chara to get worn down

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

29. Rad says:

Too many mentions this morning about how the Habs were “due for a stinker.” Folks, how do you justify a “stinker” in the 5th game of a Stanley Cup Playoffs series that is tied 2-2? Game 5 was a total organizational melt-down from top to bottom. From Bergevin’s poor signings/trades to Therrien’s poor coaching decisions to poor on-ice performance by a dispirited and demoralized Habs team. A team that 4 days ago was seemingly poised for a breakthrough has been exposed in Boston. The Bruins did whatever they wanted last night, and the Canadiens had no answers. Confidence is a fragile thing, I don’t see how the Habs can come back now.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

So much for the ‘business mindset’ attitude. I guess the B’s also mean it too…

• JUST ME says:

Yes confidence is a fragile thing and you prove it yourself in using the words organizational melt-down . Dramatic of course but far fetched or emotionnaly motivated.

Time will tell and help you see the real picture. Start by going back to what you were predicting at the begining of the season and you will find that they went much much further than you expected. Then look at the big picture and where they are as an organization. Getting ready for phase 2 wich is renewal of the roster in the farm team over the summer and implementation of a new way of seeing development.

Meanwhile ,every player that were signed by Bergevin helped the team to spend time towards those goals. Results were great enjoy ! Overachieved ? Underachieved ? Who cares ! We were entertained and still have a chance.
      You sound like a real party trooper. Sometimes it is better to get off the wagon and look elsewhere. Life is too short to be pissed at everything as you seem to be.

• Rad says:

LOL, I’m hardly “pissed at everything.” Merely acknowledging reality here — as you seem to be doing your best to avoid it. Hockey is just a game, though we do tend to get exasperated with our favorite teams.

• IngersollHabsFan says:

Amen…..

“The sports page records people’s accomplishments, the front page usually records nothing, but man’s failures.” Earl Warren

30. Strummer says:

Other than the 32 second span when Boston scored twice we played them pretty evenly- shots, PP, possession stats, though we had about 10 fewer hits.

This is a team that lead the League in 5 v 5 play this year and in goal differential.

If that’s the best they got- they are beatable.

Habs have to wake up though and start cashing in on thier opportunities.
    They also need to go back to the line up from games 1 & 2.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

31. Habsssssssswin says:

Babcock is right. There are teams that will get you TO the playoffs.

Then there are teams that will get you THROUGH the playoffs.

We’re getting there. Just to many players on this squad who are not

committed to what it takes.

32. adamkennelly says:

I didn’t get to watch that attentively – was at a party. Obviously Habs got outplayed – but the penalty fest was in in stark contrast to the past two games in MTL. Wonder why?

B’s pop in back to back jacks in 32 seconds – game over.

33. mksness says:

dear coach, emelin and georges aren’t powerplay point guys and wouldn’t be used on any other team as powerplay options.

Please either dress beaulieu or split up markov and subban and play with 4 forwards to generate offence.

34. montrealtilldeath says:

My apologies for just singling out Price and Subban for leaving it all on the ice every playoff game. I forgot to include Gallagher. Major omission.

35. Danno says:

Thornton thinks he’s funny with his water bottle gag on PK.

I want to thank the racist clown who just gave the Habs motivation to beat them tomorrow and finish them off on game seven.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Agree, they poked the bear…

• Maritime Ronn says:

As Chris pointed out below, there are different ways to get back.

One is firing the puck at the Boston bench.
      The other is on ice.

PK’s slap shot is so accurate, he could pick a fly off of a clothes line.
      So, with that in mind – and thinking about Lucic’s favorite spearing body target, PK could have Thornton walking around with a ‘high pitched voice’ for the rest of his life.

• mksness says:

best way to get back is to to put the puck in the net. subban is above that type of bush play. put the puck in the net and force a game 7:-)

i am shocked on how much offence PK has be able to produce especially knowing that julien and their coaching staff is trying to neutralize him. it gives you an idea of how special a player he is

• Maritime Ronn says:

PK already has 4 of the Habs 12 goals (forget the empty netter) in this series and has been involved in 58% of all Habs goals scored.

I woulld stll like him to fire one….

• Ton says:

we can only hope its the only way to get revenge..beat them and then f**k them walk off the ice at hand shake…………dirty dirty unethical hockey team and organization.

36. Mavid ® says:

Wow I had no idea we were eliminated last night..here I thought there was another game on Monday..and then possibly Wednesday..
    Happy Mothers Day everyone….get out there and enjoy mom (if your lucky enough to still have her)..tomorrow is another day..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

37. montrealtilldeath says:

PS on Vanek. His agent has told him “big contract coming up in Minnie. Don’t get hurt”. That’s my opinion on his play.

• Mavid ® says:

I am starting to think your right

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Clay says:

Here’s what I don’t get; as an unrestricted free agent, he should be playing his best hockey to try to get the best possible contract. He’s playing himself out of millions of dollars, IMO.

__________________________

38. Ozmodiar says:

I’ll hold off on criticizing PK’s wasting energy when I see him running low in energy.

For all the energy wasting he did last night he sure seemed to have plenty of it at the end of the game.

He’s got energy to burn. It’s part of what makes him special.

• mksness says:

he plays with more energy shift to shift than our first line has played with all series…

• Maritime Ronn says:

…but, but, but the Corsi-Fenwick people, who are astonishingly absent today (because Murray was funnily 2nd best yesterday), will argue that Subban had the worst numbers on the Habs team last night.

• third generation haber says:

They’ve convened at Berkshire’s place for an emergency reverse-strategy brain-storming session. Festivities were kicked off with a viewing of Money-Ball while spooning each-other on the sofa. The night ended with bowing to a life-sized poster of Diaz in a speedo.

If only our entire team were 5-8 and terrified to hit, the Bruins wouldn’t stand a chance!

j.p. murray

• Paz says:

Ronn, leave Murray’s Corsi aside for the moment.

If Murray was 18 years old would he be considered a prospect?

He can’t skate. Period.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Not if he skated like that.

I just threw those C/F figures out there to show how ridiculous they can be sometimes when that is the top judgement criteria for certain individuals

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Ronn! I posted some stats yesterday. I got a headache. I won”t do it ever again. It took 4 pints and a couple of Vodkas before I came around.

• Maritime Ronn says:

front
            I see you more as an ‘eyes’ person wth a great liver thrown in.
            Good god you’re funny

• RockinRey says:

The comments about PK and energy show how he is trying to do too much. Its simply to nit picking but must be simply pointed out how his game can be simplified.

Certainly PK has a lot of energy to burn its just worth pointing out that even though we have seen him dipsy doodle and dangle and and rag the puck and spinorama out of trouble in the other teams zone ( and it is aesthetically pleasing to watch) and attempt tp create something there were numerous times year when he did that and he ended up not having the energy to make a high percentage pass . There were times it amounted to something but it is equally true that it ended with him falling, being poke checked or it being a turnover.

This is not why they lost it is only to point out that he may be feeling the heavy burden of carrying the team. Players may say they dont read papers but I believe they are fully aware what is being said about them. After the first few games of the series many of us believed he might win it single handedly. Evidently that was premature.

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

39. third generation haber says:

I was amazed to see Subban, not only play hard till the last whistle, but to totally take charge in the dying minutes. He was amazing!!!

Players who play better in the playoffs (very few) are the most valuable in my book. Most habs aren’t worth half of their regular season salary during the playoffs. We should build, scout, and trade according to players’ playoff value.

j.p. murray

40. jmac21 says:

All this ranting about Patches Vanek Murray And Coach Mikey, but nothing about how USELESS DD IS AGAINST BIG TEAMS ???
    Oh yeah he’s our golden boy
    Sit his ass in the press box put Danny between Patches and Vanek, sit Prust (love the guy but he’s hurt) and get Whitey in the line up

• third generation haber says:

This is why I’ve been moaning since his contract; he’s useless in a rugged playoff series! This has nothing to do with height; Gallagher is a true playoff warrior!

j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

At this desperate point, and with 51 zigging and zagging on the outside, I may even give Eller a look between Max and Vanek.
      He is not afraid to go to the tough areas…and what do the habs have to lose?

41. 24AW says:

we have a decent team and has done well in the playoffs but lets face it, this team is not a Stanley cup team. We have the makings with three players that have heart, the rest has to go if you want to win a cup and lets start in the off season by moving players that don’t have it when it comes to winning a Stanley cup lets start with a new trend in training camp and build from there. must be tough with skill and the will to win at all times, don’t have to be a 50-60 Goal scorer to win a Stanley cup, just consistant, Chicago and Boston proved it and one of them will prove it again in 2014.

42. third generation haber says:

I’m very pleased to see that we are a much better team than we were 2 years ago. Mainly, we are a much better regular season team. Sadly, we’re still not built for the playoffs. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a valiant effort and we’ll still put-up a good fight.

Built for the playoffs means, as far as I’m concerned, built to handle the Bruins (physically). Notice the Bruins don’t have a single softie in their line-up? No one needs to be sheltered or protected. They are fearless when they step on the ice and the cumulative effect of a 7 game series against them takes its toll. All of our toughness (forwards) is limited to our 4th line.

I’m not talking about size here; Gallagher is one of the toughest players on our team.

Going forward, I think the Bruins should be our measuring stick/ model. Looking at our prospects and younger players, I see us as the next Bruins!

Note to Timmins, we don’t need any more Martin Reway’s in this year’s draft.

j.p. murray

• mksness says:

more like built to handle chara. the bruins didn’t punish the habs last night with hits. a large majority of the hits for bumps and just finishing your hit montreal did not lose because of physicality last night.

they lost for the following:
      – bad penalties
      – price wasn’t at his best
      – couldn’t create any offence out side the powerplay

boston won yesterday because they were a better team not a more physical team. their 3rd line depth is beating us.

• gumper says:

Please add, disastrous in the face off circle. A chronic problem that must be looked after if they are to take the next step.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        Mark Twain

• third generation haber says:

Have u noticed how quickly we turned-over the puck? Our players are dumping it out quickly (getting rid of it) to avoid hits, and shooting from the outside for the same reasons. The Bruins go full tilt for every loose puck, try to maintain possession regardless of the sound of foot-steps, and charge North-south towards our net with zero fear. The cumulative effect of their toughness was evident in game 5.

The other points u brought up, totally valid as well.

j.p. murray

• mksness says:

boards and out, glass and out…

TURN OVER

i see it. the defence apart from subban and markov can’t make a pas out of the zone. add to that that markov has struggled this series you have no possession or control of the puck. i don’t see that as an effect of toughness but more of lack in skill from our blue line

• third generation haber says:

but against T-bay, our guys were maintaining possession and not panicking. Today’s game reminded me of just about every playoff series I’ve had to endure since he mid-90’s. Timid!

j.p. murray

43. rljmartin says:

Anybody watch Doughty last night? That is how MT must let Subban play…….It’ll never happen…..Sigh

44. montrealtilldeath says:

I know a lot of people like Vanek and say his problem is he is not on the right line. I am sorry to disappoint but the effort from him is not there. The lines may come into play somewhat but this is the Stanley Cup. Checks are finished. You skate at people and hit them i.e. you finish your checks. Just watch him. No intensity at all. I would rather see Ryan White. He would however be benched by this coach for being too intense. The Bruins secret? Intensity. Something happened in the dressing room is my feeling. As soon as we got close (up 2-1) what I calll “the careful Eddy” syndrome was injected into the room by the coach or coaches. Notice how the game of our best line (Eller bourque and Gionta) changed. The ‘Play not to lose” factor came in instead of the “play to win”. As for the PK critics I am limited by censors to adequatey describe their stupidity. The one guy besides Price leaving it all on the ice in every game. Get real. This is the playoffs.

• gumper says:

You can check my comment history. I don’t think you’ll find me either praising or trashing Vanek. In other words I’ve been keeping my mouth shut on the topic. When I went to see the last Habs Buds game at the ACC this year I paid special attention to Vanek. What I noticed was that if he was near the puck and it looked like it was going towards the opposing team he played with some enthusiasm, but as soon as it was turned back be just gave up. He also sauntered to the bench for line changes. I find it hard to believe a guy like that can offer much to a team that must employ and outstanding work ethic if it’s going to succeed. He certainly has some elite skills, but but he can be a big-time floater and that sort of stuff is like cancer on a team.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• ont fan says:

Not the coaches fault. You can’t coach intensity. This is where you find out who will pay the price. The league condones playoffs to be, play on the edge hockey. Who are those guys on this team? If you’re expecting to win with you’re top scorers invisible, well.

45. icky pop says:

Up until last night, I wanted to see subban traded. I wanted to see him go for Eberle. I like subban, don’t get me wrong. I just felt that he was gonna get too much money. After last night, however, subban has become indispensable. There’s no quit in him. His compete level doesn’t slow down at all. At the end of the game, he looked like the only one that thought they could still win the game, even though we didn’t deserve to win at all. He insisted on scoring. I now see that he is the heart of that team. He has come a long way in the league. He doesn’t jaw as much. One day, I hope to see a “C” on his CH. before I didn’t think he was worth more than 6 mil (very few players are in my opinion. Now I’d say give him 8. Subban, Gallagher and Price seem to be the only true heart and soul guys on the team. Hopefully the rest of the youth coming up take their lead.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Too much money? It ain’t our money ;)

• Paz says:

Subban is a wonderful talent and he has grown by leaps and bounds over these past few seasons.

It is time that we have a coach who treats Subban with respect.

Young veterans like Subban do not get benched. Ever. Period. End of story.

Those days must be put behind us starting next season.

You simply, and calmly, go to Subban, between periods or after games, and remind him what he needs to do better.

That is the respectful way to coach.

46. crane says:

Gone next year somehow

Boullion Parros
    Weaver Gionta
    Murray Briere
    Moen
    Vanek
    D.D.
    Prust

Seventh round picks, what ever just go

• RockinRey says:

10 roster spots? How are you going to fill them ? More Vaneks? 3 d can come up but Weaver is a serviceable depth guy.

And as much as I am not a fan of DD. Who suits up as number 1 or 2 center? Chucky? You expect there wont be pains with him? Pleky slots in as the shut down guy because you cant reasonable expect much from him offensively a this stage. He can step in a contribute a goal here or there but he really poses no threat except the occasional short handed goal or as 2 or 3 power play wave.

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• vegas says:

might keep one or 2, abd get rid of even on eor 2 more but I pretty much agree

Need to find 2 Free agents, or maybe a trade

Pacioretty / Plekanec / ?
      ? / Galchenyuk / Gallagher
      Bournival / Eller / Bourque
      Prust / White / Weise

Emelin / Subban
      Beaulieu / Gorges
      Tinrodi / Weaver
      Pateryn

47. Shackles says:

I love the team we’ve got; warts and all but what do you do about players who perform throughout the season yet disappear come playoff time? What’s the point of getting us to the dance if we discover that you have 2 left feet? I don’t want to see anyone leave but can you coach playoff intensity and performance?

48. Mr_MacDougall says:

I nb ate to be ‘that guy’ but I thought the Habs played an excellent first period coming very close to tying the game at 1 apiece.

Then it happened. Rask uses his blocker to the head of Plek after Plek gets pushed in and rocks Rask in the face.. But Rask retaliates and throws a haymaker to Pleks face with his blocker.. Which at the very least was a roughing..

51.3 Match Penalty – If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed.

But ohhhhh noooooo, Plek miraculously gets the only penalty… The B’s score,on the PP and the game changes, then Boychuk steps up on Plek! late hit! but Plek high sticks him.. To the box again… 3-0.. Habs are on their heels.

That penalty to Plek is what makes me hate the NHL… It’s just unfair… We should have had a PP, but instead were down 3-0 when the smoke cleared from that fiasco…

I thought the guys did a pretty good job in the 3rd penetrating the B’s Trap…

Oh well… It’s over.. Bad breaks happen… The Habs didn’t have jump…

I’ll say this, I want,to see more,of the “angry PK” on the PP.. The selfish PK that demands the puck and shoots it with furious intent.. If they had operated the PP like that in the first, we’d be talking about a victory today…

• Shackles says:

Total agreement and great points all around. This series exposed the Bruins as a slightly above-average skilled team they are whose claim to fame and reason for success is having the ability to get inside the heads of their opponents.

49. HabsFanOhio says:

My point is, it’s not the players in this case. I am impressed by how hard they have worked, but the coaching has been so poor that I truly believe they have partially bailed on MT. They know Murray can’t play. They know Briere and Vanek can score. Only MT doesn’t. Our players are good soldiers, but I will bet that after the season, a lot of stuff comes out about MT; personally, I think he has lost the room, starting with PK and Price, and now Vanek and Max and Markov and Gio. But most of the guys are good soldiers and are playing with integrity and passion for the game. After the season, we’ll see signs of discord about the coaching. Watching Gallant behind the bench, I rather suspect he’s no big fan of MT either.

And btw, Lefebvre needs to go too…

50. Chris says:

“It happened twice. If it was me who did that it would have been in the news for the next three days. I don’t expect that to be a story. Listen, whatever it takes to win, right?”

The way he said those last two sentences was not absolving the Bruins bench. That was said in the tone of a guy who has no respect for fair treatment from the NHL’s officials or its media. And that is a big, big problem for the NHL, even if they are too clueless to realize it.

Subban is a superstar. He is a phenomenal player that fans love to watch. He is charming, well-spoken and intelligent. Yet he is treated like scum, and a fourth line nobody like Shawn Thornton, who wouldn’t even be in the league were it not for the fact that he takes punches to the head better than most people, will get away with this unbelievably classless incident with little more than a slap on the wrist.

Subban needs to take the page from Mario Lemieux. Years ago, Lemieux finally had enough of yapping from the coach of the opposing team and fired a slap shot at the coach on his next shift.

Subban’s got a howitzer. If Shawn Thornton thinks its so funny, Subban should just aim one directly into the Bruins bench while “icing” the puck. They will shut up awfully quickly.

Fortunately, Subban has class and respects the game, unlike Shawn Thornton.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Bob McCowan said on Friday that PK is the most exciting player in the NHL to watch while the other 3 panelists were drooling over the B’s.

• Chris says:

Even my non-Habs friends that talked about how much they hated Subban and his antics coming into the playoffs are now converts.

Subban is not the same guy he was in his first couple of seasons (not that you would know it from the media slant), and fans are raving about how fun he is to watch.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think PK should do that as well Chris.. But as they say… Don’t poke the bear… PK can singlehandedly win the next two games.. Shame on them.

The things II would like to say to describe how I feel,about the situation are not for for a public forum.

• RockinRey says:

I usually enjoy your posts Chris . Not certain why you would be advocating teeing one up at the bench. We can imagine the outcry and how he would be called to the carpet by league officials. The league’s “old boys club and you have not paid your dues” mentality which even extend the refs often means that he might get the short end on a few calls. He has even gotten away with a few obvious penalties this series( the bear hug on Lucic last night and knocking the net off are two certain penalties)

PK was becoming a little unglued last night and instead of trying to make tape to tape passes he was expending energy and on several occasions actually disrupted the rush. His frustration was evident . Its his job as the anchor to rise above certain things.

I like PK and I happen to think as he goes so go the Habs. He might be feeling a bit more pressure to do more because of the big guns going silent. I really believe that he is maturing and he can make some smarter decisions. Only a few things need tweaking in his game to bring him to that next level. I happen to think he is a stud D that every team covets but he may have been frustrated and invoking a little gamesmanship with those comments and sending a message to the refs crew for the next game.

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You sound like Craig Simpson.. PK does not have an energy meter, he could probably play 40 minutes a night.. When all you can point out is his “conservation of energy” ability as a negative, I highly recommend looking at the positives.

• Chris says:

All hockey players have energy meters. It is the most energy-taxing sport in the world.

The point isn’t that it will affect Subban’s ability to play 30 minutes. The point is that you have to avoid wasting your energy on each shift so that you’ve got reserves if an odd-man rush comes the other way, or an icing occurs, etc.

There are shifts where you don’t mind wasting energy in an effort to try to fire up your team. But you have to be somewhat judicious with those circumstances.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I have get to see Subban gassed.

• Chris says:

He was gassed at the end of the shift that he iced the puck. It forced Therrien into taking his time-out, because his most important player had nothing left and they were about to have a defensive zone faceoff.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Isn’t that what timeouts are for? So no harm done.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I don’t have a problem with him being energetic. So he had a long shift and a timeout was called.. Never going to happen with Vanek or Patch.

• Chris says:

Disagree. Timeouts are better used for managing the team when it is running around.

The Habs have had to use their timeouts at bad times due to icings throughout these playoffs, which is a point of concern moving forwards.

I’m not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It is an aspect of his game that he can and will improve, and he’s going to be that much better when it happens. That is a bright point.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You’re right… They used there timeouts out of necessity in every game.. Should I admit I’m wrong or delete my prior comments?

• Chris says:

Well, my last sentence was intended to indicate I was being a little facetious. Subban is far too classy and has too much respect for the game to do that.

I won’t lie and say that I wouldn’t do it if I were on the ice, though. My temper is way too hot, which is one reason why I’ve had to quit playing hockey. I never did anything too stupid, but the temptation was sometimes hard to ignore.

• HabFab says:

Wish I had your control in my younger days… sigh.

• Chris says:

I’ve had to manage my temper my whole life. At my size, if I don’t play with some restraint, people are going to get hurt. In soccer, I always bail on the 50/50 ball because I will destroy the other person if we run into each other. Same thing in hockey…it isn’t ending well for anybody who gets in my path when I am skating at top speed.

I’m not a professional athlete, so there is no sense in somebody getting hurt in what is supposed to be a fun game. But when the other team gets dirty, man…I want to lose it. I’ve pulled myself from a few games over the years, knowing that I was going to do something stupid if I stayed out there.

It’s a family thing…my brothers are still somewhat infamous for getting red cards in soccer games on more than one occasion for fighting. The infamy is that the fights were always with each other. ;)

• mksness says:

there should be suspensions for throwing equipement or anything on the bench onto the ice at a player. it’s dangerous. imagine the puck is there and that distracts subban and then he gets railed into the boards.

wonder if that would be funny

51. Flanelette says:

Prust for Brière and Murray for Bouillon are indeed puzzling decisions. But would it reaaly have changed much? I don”t think there is much doubt in anybody’s mind that we re a second-tier team. We were just hopin’ and prayin’…With DD showing his limits, and Pacioretty’s unwillingness to be more physical, you can see the green jersey behind Vanek’s Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. So we have no first line center and indeed no first line…back to the old drawing board.
    Plekanec? He’s a great player but prefers playing in the well-controled environment of a mid-january game the the mayhem of the playoffs. The playoff hitting and gooning is starting to take it’s toll on our players’ output and on my interest for the spectacle.

• JUST ME says:

Excellent comment. Would have made no difference whether we chose to play one player or the other. The whole team concept is based on that as it has been proven all seaon long . You can expect not to play if you do not perform and it`s o.k. like that. Thing is though , where is that team commitment and consistency that lead us up to these playoffs? .Right now we are losing as a team and can turn it around as quickly if everyone agrees to do more.

• HabsFanOhio says:

That’s why you need to structure the best possible lineup. it makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. That is the art of coaching, to extract maximum performance with the components that you have. Star players have a multiplier effect. Vanek electrified the team with his passes, shots and puck sense. MT threw that all out the window. Vanek on the top line makes everyone better over the course of a series and a season, because goals are hard to come by- that’s why he’ll get his money. Sure they’ll give up the odd goal bc he didn’t backcheck but on balance he is a huge asset if he had been used properly. But MT can’t compute that equation. MT is simply not bright enough to run an organization.

Same with Murray. The opportunity cost of Murray vs Beaulieu is significant.

Just horrendous management, and I think the players know it.

• ianism says:

disagree. if we’d scored one or two PP goals in the 1st period the game would have turned out really different.

also the habs are a hard team to beat when everyone is on the ball. I’d just say that it’s not that common for that to be the case.

I’ll put it like this: if Boston had not had that lucky goal in game 4, the Habs would be up 3-2 now and there would be a lot less complaining. We got outplayed and outworked last night. The way to beat Boston is to outwork them. it will take the whole team to win the two next games, and even then they might not win the series. but it can be done.

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Bruce Boudreau of Anaheim in a crucial game 4 match with LA & trailing 2-1 in the series inserts John Gibson, a 20yr old rookie who goes out & pitches a shutout. We have 2 future big defensemen in Beauliey & Tinordi & this organization refuses to use them, even with our backs against the wall.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Gibson made 80 saves in two wins in NFLD this week

• CH Marshall says:

Meanwhile the rookies see Julien putting his rookies out there. Yeah they are rookies, but the whole point is to coach them and make their energy an asset. Ok I’ve reached my quota for the hour. Back for more later

• HabsFanOhio says:

Totally agree. Back in the day, Habs coaches knew that. They would season guys in the AHL all year, then play them in the playoffs. Y’know, guys like McPhee and Skrudland, and Dryden and Roy and… the list is LONG. But y’know, that was back in the day….when they were winning Cups. MT knows better than those old coaches who are now in the Hall of Fame.

53. crane says:

Not winning next game, be okay with Parros and Murray playing one shift each. Parros take out Marchand, Murray take out Lucic, spearing hit from behind, don’t care. These guys not ever playing again so take a 20 game suspension next season. Moulson will make good somew how.

54. murfdog says:

Why why why MT make changes after two great hockey games. Huge win in game 3 then loose 1 – 0 in OT and you make a line up change???? And to put Prust in who for sure is injured and hasn’t had a good game since being back ( all playoffs ). I really don’t get the theory behind. Don’t fix it if it aint broke. White has to play instead of prust. And MR. White if you read this by any chance please take out little beaver face brad marchand Bi*ch. The next two games are biggest of year of course, we will see if vanek can step up, and of course max pacs, he has to man up and drive the net hard. Kudos t o LITTLE GALLY and PK, and I would love PK to wind up and clap one where glen healy sits. I heard healy is giving all bruins and fans free BJs. GO HABS GO.

55. CH Marshall says:

Re patches, just doest work to play with two smaller players. And it’s amazing to think Gallagher goes to the net more than Patches does

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Patch is a small guy in a big body.

• HabsFanOhio says:

Funny that Patches played well with Cole too. Vanek/Cole create room for Max and then DD can find him. If you ask Max to take the lead role on a line, he fails. If you give him space, he’s a beast. MT hasn’t figured that one out either.

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

I can’t see Vanek going out tomorrow night & busting his ass knowing that it could be his last game. Therefore, bench him.

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

58. 5wings says:

that was a dreadful game from my HABS..why does the coach MT not make in game adjustment when things are going very poorly..I dont understand that kind of coaching,, Vanek cant play with Pleky..Gally is too small to play with DD please put Vanek back on that line..now MT can talk about no intensity..horrible game to watch..brutal penalty killing..the Vets on this team were crap..
    Boston was rolling even their 4th line outplayed whoever they played against..
    Monday we have to play better..not really that hard to do after that one worse playoff game I have seen going back to last year..
    Balls out next game boys..no point saving yourself..coach MT has to make the adjustments for success..last two games have been poorly played and coached..

Play the next game like its your last!!

GO HABS GO!!

59. Old Bald Bird says:

Boullion-Murray, Briere-Prust, Bournival on 2nd line, Vanek on right wing, Bourque on left, DD as #1 centre. These are all questionable, but it’s also true that the personnel that MT has at his disposal is not optimum. So, he goes with some hopes/hunches and hopes for the best.

60. Strummer says:

Well at least the power play’s working!

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

61. Strummer says:

From the Boston Police blotter:
    “Thomas Vanek, age 30 a resident of Montreal, Canada was arrested for loitering in the Bruins end of the rink.”
    ____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

62. TommyB says:

Good call on ALN, Mike. IMO you nailed it.
    I guess the Habs were due for a stinker, yet I can’t help thinking we have been fooling ourselves all along with this team in this year’s playoffs. After the game 3 win, many were saying the Habs could have been up 3-0 in games had it not been for the late meltdown in game 2. They played a decent game 4 at home, but lacked the killer instinct to put the Bruins to the wall, facing elimination in game 5 at the TD. Now it is the Habs who are facing elimination, not the Bruins. So I guess what I am saying is, if not for a double overtime win in Boston and one very good game at home, this thing could have been over alright. It could have been over last night with Boston’s win, and the B’s taking the series 4 games to 1.

Don’t get me wrong, this Habs team is a good team. They could still pull this off, albeit the odds I think are against it, if they should not put everything they have into each and every shift. Looking back, I did not want to face the Bruins. I felt the Habs would do alright, but not be capable of winning a 7 game series, and so far it looks like I had good reason for my doubts.

Things are moving in the right direction with the Habs. Ownership and management are doing a very good job of building a contender. Being a contender is not always enough to bring a Cup home. You need some luck along the way as well, but you can’t build luck so you build on what you can control. I believe we have three solid young defensemen waiting to join this team full time, and I hope next October is the time. We have a young goalie being groomed to take over from Carey Price when the time comes. The hardest part is acquiring goal scorers. The cost is always much too high to get these guys through trades or free agency, and the Habs always finish too high to be in position to draft a player of this type. I don’t see a guy of this description in Hamilton.

One final thought. P.K. has shown everyone he is the leader of this team. He has also shown he is the best player on the team. P.K. has heart and soul and he loves wearing the bleu blanc et rouge. Give him the contract he deserves, take whatever pennies you have left and go looking for a goal scorer. Imagine if we had a guy like Subban at centre or on the wing. Nice to dream, anyway. GO HABS GO!

63. montrealtilldeath says:

Panic coaching decision on Briere and two big men reaching for the puck instead of finishing their checks. Watching Vanek and Patches is painful man! This is the f#%cking Stanley cup playoffs against the Bruins!! That’s a CH on your jersey!!! Absolutely pathetic. As for Plekanec he had a bad game but he has earned my respect. I can accept a bad game but not the effort of Vanek and Patches. As for Therrian and his coaching; we will never win a cup with him. We lost game 4 on a fluke goal sequence. Taking out Briere for Prust (one hit) was insanity.