About last night …

PKBoston

How’s this for irony?
On the day Jaroslav Halak was traded for the third time this season, Carey Price made 48 saves to beat the Bruins.
Price turned in the best playoff performance by a Canadiens goaltender since Halak stoned Washington and Pittsburgh.
That was in 2010.
A lot has happened since.
Halak has bounced from St. Louis to Buffalo to Washington to the Islanders.
And Price has pushed his record, in the Olympic Games and the 2014 playoffs, to 10-0.

Getting number 11, on Saturday afternoon at the TD Garden, might be problematic if Price’s teammates don’t play better.

In his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien stressed what he saw as the Canadiens’ positives in their 4-3 overtime conquest of the Bruins:

• Price’s extraordinary performance

• a power-play that produced two goals

• the “very productive game” of P.K. Subban, who scored both PP goals, including the OT winner.

• Lars Eller and Rene Bourque, both of whom the coach praised for their forechecking tenacity and ability to protect the puck.

• a reconstituted fourth line of Brandon Prust, Dale Weise and Travis Moen drew the OT penalty on Matt Bartkowski that opened the way for P.K.’s winner.

It’s a short list. Therrien could have added the defensive pairing of Francis Bouillon and Mike Weaver, the game-saving defensive play of Brendan Gallagher and the courage of david Desharnais, who spent the game crashing into and bouncing off of Zdeno Chara.

The Eller-Bourque-Brian Gionta continued the fine play that began in the Tampa Bay series. They were the Canadiens’ best line – by a lot.

Another positive: The Canadiens played with discipline, taking just three minor penalties. And they killed off two shorthanded situations against a Boston power play that was deadly against Detroit.

Therrien acknowledged, however, that the Canadiens had played “like a team that hadn’t played in 10 days.”

Maybe it took 80 minutes to shake the rust off. After being dominated for long stretches of the game, the Canadiens outshot Boston 4-1 in the first four minutes of the second OT period, leading up to P.K.’s game-winner.

But the full-game possession stats told a grim story:

In addition to the 51 shots they had on Price, the Bruins missed the net 17 times. The Canadiens blocked 30 shots. That adds up to 98 shot attempts for the rampaging home team.

The Canadiens had 33 shots on Tuukka Rask, whose save percentage was .879, to Price’s .941. The Canadiens had 11 misses, and Boston blocked 14 shots. The total attempts: 58.

98-58? That’s the final score when the harlem Globetrotters play the Washington Generals.

The Bruins hit the goalpost twice. A puck behind Price miraculously glided along the line and stayed out.

The Bruins had innumerable excellent looks at goal from uncontested slot positions. They skated freely through the neutral zone and exerted long periods of pressure against feeble backchecking in the Canadiens’ zone.

Boston won 58 per cent of faceoffs (51-37) and outhit the Canadiens 56-45. They Bruins effectively bottled up the Canadiens’ (theoretically) top line to the extent that Thomas Vanek was bumped down to the fourth line – a demotion Therrien would not discuss during his postgame remarks. Max Pacioretty was also invisible for most of the game.

The Andrei Markov-Alexei Emelin pairing struggled against the Bruins aggressive forecheck. They were better, however, in OT.

The Canadiens, as a team, will have to better on Saturday.

But they’ve retaken home-ice advantage.

And Price is looking positively Halakian.

• Interesting stat from my man Mike Ziegler: Daniel Brière has assisted on both of the OT goals the Canadiens have scored in these playoffs.

1. kalevine says:

Re Vanek, he has a few games to turn it around. The game 1 win bought us some time. If he wants to sign with a serious team like Minny in a very physical conference, he will have to

2. kalevine says:

Notice gionta looks revitalized on that line too. The only line that bottled up the Bs to any degree

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Gionta had been consistent his entire stretch as a Hab IMO, with the exception of a stretch when he had a torn bicep.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

3. kalevine says:

Yes I caught that block by Marchand. On the replay I was no sure that the puck was on net though

The weakest department in the NHL is by far the refereeing!
    But not last night. Great job stripes, and all calls were legit!

• ceedee says:

The weakest dept. is player discipline. Matt Cooke should never dress for another NHL game.

• Kooch7800 says:

That is the NHL’s lack of consistency with discipline and that won’t change until the old boys club mentality is changed.

That culture is pretty ingrained though and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

• Ian Cobb says:

Ceedee, I agree on Cooke. His family lives here outside Belleville. No one around here including some of his family, can stand him. He should have been put out of hockey when he was a kid.

• Dust says:

You got it Ian. It was a good job by the refs

• petefleet says:

Not sure what game you watched Ian but it wasn’t Game 1 of round 2. Marchand had 3 obvious penalties right in front of the refs and all went uncalled. The low “hip” check by Boston would have sent PK to the box, I would guarantee that. And the interference that went on all night by the Broons went uncalled as well.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
      Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

5. Ozmodiar says:

Did Brad Marchand stop a Bruins goal behind Price in the OT?? He skated behind Price in the blue paint and it hit him.

Did anyone catch that?

• ceedee says:

Saw it and yes, he did. Lucic also took one that was potentially going to find net. Weird night in many ways. The puck that Soderberg tipped and rolled through the goal mouth on edge. As soon as I saw that I said to myself, “No way the Bruins win this tonight.”

6. HabsFanInTampa says:

Vanek seemed disconnected or just going through the motions last night. What’s the 411 on him? Is he injured or in MT’s doghouse? We need him to be the Vanek from the regular season. I hope he’s not playing carefully so as not to get hurt before his free agent payday.

7. kalevine says:

I really wonder what’s up with Vanek. I don’t have a problem with him being demoted but maybe he should have sat for a bit. Ultimately, though, he has to get back on that line and that line has to get moving. They will need to be a positive 5 on 5 factor or this series will end like 2011.

Sure the Bruins might be a but discouraged but they don’t give up so easily. They were snakebite last night and if the next game is similar they will win. So the Habs do have to pick it up.

8. Ozmodiar says:

Was reading the ALN blog, just waitin’ on the “Halakian” reference. Just when I thought I’d be disappointed, “BAM”, last word!!

Good ALN, as usual.

I’d tweak the “irony” slightly…
    On the day Jaroslav Halak was traded for the third time this season, Lars Eller* was the Habs best forward while Carey Price made 48 saves to beat the Bruins.

* sure, perhaps along with Bourque, but you get the point.

The thing that really caught my attention last night was the amount of time Eller’s line played in the offensive zone despite the high number of defensive zone faceoffs. They really drove possession from d-zone to offensive zone.

• Marc10 says:

Eller and Bourque were full value. Just superb hockey from those two. Gotta say I liked Weise. Terrific pace on the kid and he was flying at Bruins from the Gigantic ape to Tiny Krug. More of that please!

9. Chris says:

Weird game.

I loved what P.K. Subban was doing in the first period: keeping calm, skating away from needless confrontations after the whistle, making the high-percentage plays (including that beautiful PP goal)….he was doing everything right.

Then he took the penalty, and had the yips a few times in the second and third periods…nothing serious, but more of a reversion to the more emotionally volatile Subban. And then he calmed right back down and was dominant in overtime. Probably one of the best games I’ve seen him play, given the atmosphere and his performance.

With Price, he was also lights out. But the funny thing is that he probably looked worse than he has in a long, long time while doing it. It pisses people off apparently to see his performance called Halakian, but that is a very good comparison for the Price we saw last night. Maybe an even better comparison is Jonathan Quick…I can’t remember the last time I saw Price so small in his net, nor can I remember a game where he was swimming as frequently as he was last night. Hats off to Price, though, because he got the job done in a game where the Habs were thoroughly out-chanced. You have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. Price was incredibly lucky (some Bruins forwards had nightmares last night), and he was exceptional.

Once again, Francis Bouillon played a steady, calm game in the Habs zone and contributed a goal on offence. There is no way Murray comes in, because it would be Bouillon sitting in that case. For my money, Bouillon has been right there with Subban and Markov throughout the playoffs. He gets hit, but he makes the right play pretty much every time.

My only dislike in the game was that Therrien started juggling the lines so early. The Bourque-Eller-Gionta line continued to be the best for the team, but the other three lines looked relatively out of sorts. Plekanec and Prust had their moments, but the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Wease line was terrible, and I wasn’t crazy with the Moen-Briere combination. I know the Habs want to go physical with Moen, but Bournival makes Briere a more dangerous player.

We all knew that Boston was going to throw the kitchen sink at the Habs, and for 40 minutes the Habs had them bottled. They lost their composure for 5 minutes and had the game get away from them, but if they stick to their game-plan and continue to have the hockey gods smile on them they should be okay.

My Guelph Storm also won in overtime last night (flipping between the two games was a challenge!) despite not playing their best game. Scott Walker, the Storm’s head coach, was absolutely livid with his team after the game…he gave a Tortorella like press conference performance, and you could see Jason Dickinson beside him cringing a bit at the tirade that he knew was waiting in the dressing room. Loving this team…even when they win, they’re catching hell for the mistakes. :)

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with your assessment of the game Chris except for PK. He can play better than that. He was great at times but he could have cost us on more than one occasion. I would put money on it he is much better on Saturday

• Chris says:

Kooch: those miscues will always be a part of Subban’s game. I mentioned in a post yesterday that I’m simply not sure that he’s wired in such a way that would allow him to play more conservatively. His bodychecks at the blue line have always driven me nuts, but so many here seem to love that nonsense that I’ve given up preaching on that. It is a very low-percentage play that the rest of the league has started to figure out how to dodge. I’m hoping that we’ve basically seen the last of those hits this season, because you can be assured that Bergevin and the coaching staff will be giving him a video of the number of times that his bee-stings completely miss and cede good scoring chances.

I felt like he had a very complete game last night: he wasn’t forcing the play nearly as often as he usually does, and he was generally avoiding the nonsense that gets him into trouble. Can’t argue with 2 power-play goals, either. :)

• Kooch7800 says:

His goals were clutch and I just think he has more in him. After the first game of the last series I thought he really settled in and played better. Yesterday he was a little too amp’d up. I honestly think we will see him be even better in this series. There was a big lay off in time between the last series and when you know you are playing a heated rival PK def looked pumped. I just have a feeling you will see him go in full beast mode in the next two games.

I think there should be no doubt after last games performance from Price that he is an elite goalie. If Montreal gets by Boston I think this will be a huge moment for his career.

I am looking forward to Saturday. The habs will be better

10. DuckDodgers says:

At the debut of these playoffs, a widely held opinion was that attrition was going to majorly impact outcomes in the Western Conference match-ups. And the prophetic sentiment proved accurate. St. Louis, Colorado, San Jose started strongly and faded badly. Big request to MT et. al. to level the tilted ice somehow, even if it’s a Bournival-for-Vanek substitution. Loved it when Toe Blake spotted a 19-20 yr. old Serge Savard at forward in the 1968 playoffs.

11. adamkennelly says:

Habs badly outplayed – but our goaler was much better than theirs.

• From the Boston Herald… I can’t disagree completely. Price had the Goalie Gods on his side last night. From Buckley at the Herald;

“Bruins praise Canadiens goalie’s game but perhaps he had their help”

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

12. scavanau says:

I noticed how reserved PK was after each goal.

• ceedee says:

Haven’t seen him a lot this year (Hey, NHL, how about maxing out the # of games between the Bs and Cs on the schedule next year?!). However, what I’ve seen makes me think he’s maturing as a person and a player.

• DuckDodgers says:

Sheesh, you’re putting us to shame cd, because any previous allusion to P.K. maturing on this site is laced with tons of sarcasm. Maybe Boston can entice a free-agent Subbie by playing the Malcolm card.

• Yet they rip him when he pulls on the Habs crest. No comments about Lucy the goon slapping his B crest or the others as well. So hypocritical.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The Boychuck premeditated football-esque celebration on the thing goal..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• ceedee says:

For all his size and strength, I get the feeling Looch is very thin-skinned and maybe insecure, thus the chest-pounding antics. I still like having him on the team, though!

• scavanau says:

My point being he did not open himself to the criticisms of the haters. In the bruinesque world of hockey etiquette PK is forbidden to show any emotion. Everyone else can do a jersey tug or jump into the boards.

I enjoyed his stoic expression of “F U”.

13. Mr_MacDougall says:

Okay, I was not my normal calm self watching the game last night, so I wasn’t able to make as many observations as I usually do, but it seemed to me that the final regular season game between the two was far more intense. Both teams were playing fairly cautious. I expect e pace to be ramped up next game.

Observations:

1) the Krejci – Iggy – Lucic line does the same thing every time they cross the blue line, the puck carrier slows up and skates horizontally toward the middle of the ice while the other two drive the net, usually resulting in a Boston D being wide open because the second last Hab back has to attack the puck carrier…

2) Bergeron dominated DD. Also, every time the DD line penetrated the Boston zone, they double and triple teamed the puck in the corner, leaving the points wide open, but it worked to b’s favour every time and the top line was our worst by a mile. This will be the matchup in Boston, hopefully the guys make adjustments and use the points.

3) Plek had lots of chances, he always shows up.

4) The Bruins were pinching their D to maintain sustained pressure (much like the Habs in game 1 vs Tampa) and this was the key to their success. Often times their D would pinch beyond the hash marks, this HAS to be exploited.. Either by flipping it up the middle (I know, cardinal sin) but that is what Tampa started doing against us and it worked.

I really hope the bruins start to unravel and get overly physical like they always do!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Butterface says:

Liked the breakdown. I will look for that. I was wondering how Krug was getting so many opportunities.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Mats Naslund says:

1 – so true. Its so dangerous too. Its a great strategy to employ because MTL tends to crash down low. Its one of my biggest complaints about the MTL offense which at times seems to entirely consist of perimeter play. If you cut into the middle off of the rush you cause traffic and space. Every once in a while you get plunked on your butt, but that’s the chance you take to create scoring chances.

• Ozmodiar says:

>Bergeron dominated DD.

Did he ever.

Ceedee of Boston, fun to gloat for us this morning. But we do know who the best team was last night. Just like PK said, “if not for Price”, we would still be picking rubber out of our net!

• ceedee says:

If not for Price and Subban. Bruins need to keep their emotions in check (they did a pretty good job of that last night). It’s obvious the Habs’ PP could be a difference maker in this series. Also, Bourque continues his fine post-season play. Bottom line, the B’s need to finish — way too many blown opportunities near the net, which started in game 4 of the Detroit series. Troubling.

• petefleet says:

Rubbish!

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

15. Le Jadester says:

I thought Doughty was the best in the world two nites ago.
    Last nite I thought PK was the best in the world.
    Price is the best in the world after last nite’s performance (I think of Keiph Richards – Thief in the night !)

But whoever on this HIO message board said before the game that our Third Line was gonna be the difference….WOW ! Great call….they were great last nite.

I’d also like to apologize for chirping Bourque a couple times this season….I take it all back for the way he’s played in the playoffs !

Good thing going into game 2 is we have to get better and they really can’t becuase they really good last nite and we had luck on our side IMO

Habs, OLE !

• Ian Cobb says:

You were not alone chirping Bourke my friend, and we were correct in doing so during the season.
      I just hate players that have great skill in shooting and scoring, standing still with their sticks on the ice waiting to be fed the puck by their team mates that are getting creamed on the boards fighting for possession.
      Vanic was the worse one last night.

• Kooch7800 says:

Something is up with TV. Either he is hurt or has the flu cause he looked like a completely different player last night. Sadly with a short turn around he doesn’t have much time to recover

• Kooch7800 says:

I thought PK played well in certain parts but also really stunk in his own end at times last night. He almost burned the team on more than one occasion going for a big hit and not mention the second goal he was screening Price. He needs to be better than he was last night.

He did have two beauty goals and some other great passes but I don’t think that is by any stretch that is the best he has played

16. Habfun says:

Man, I didn’t sleep last night! I dreamt I was Carey Price, my wife says my arms were flailing all over the place! She went and slept in the spare room ( the good gal that she is) I woke up this morning with my hands inside of 2 pillows (guess I thought 1 was my mitt and 1 was my blocker!
    Wife says I’m a little off! I tend to agree with her, but I don’t care.
    Go Habs Go!!

It’s all about the CH

17. DuckDodgers says:

@ceedee, to complete your fine post and its sentiments, you’ve got to tell Boonie you’re a ManU fan, whether it’s true or not, and he’ll start having warm, fuzzy feelings toward those fans too.

• ceedee says:

Sorry. Liverpool all the way. Luis Suarez for President!

• Le Jadester says:

Totally …they better not lose the title to Man C.
        Good post below.

I think use guys are missing Kelly as well.
        He’s smart and would probably do a better job shuting down our third trio of Gionta-Bourque and Eller IMO

Habs, OLE !

18. HankHardball says:

Media anti-MTLers are convinced B’s now realize Habs are toast.

This Habs team is so inferior, they say, no way they can keep it up over a 7 game series.

No credit whatsoever for having a bad game, but still winning. Or the possibility of playing better in coming games.

19. SuperHabFan says:

Seriously cannot believe everyone who wants moen out and bournival in. Pleks and Moen make up one of the best PK duos in the league. Does no one realize our pk % dropped when he was out. He also played a pretty good game yesterday.

20. Just enjoying the hate and rabid, foaming at the mouth sentiment of the Boston professional journalists. This from one of the worst at the Boston Globe;

“There is simply no support for the fraudulent, flopping, entitled, once-great franchise from the province of Quebec.” Amazing how the pot calls the kettle black. How they get away with it? In their home market, their all blind with madness. At least Dan Shaughnessy ultimately gets it after fanning the flames of hate; “and so we worry”.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

21. stevieray says:

do I dare say it….Finally WE have a HOT goalie in the playoffs……
    do I dare say it …Pacs and Vanek …get your head out of your ass boys
    PK nuff said
    Borkie,Eller and Gionta were the only + players last nite …and we still won !!
    today is a good day !

22. Dust says:

In regards to the refs
    They put their whistles away for the most part
    Both teams got away with a lot of penalties.
    It was very fair officiating. No bias there

For those that say nhl has the worst refs… watch an nba game. you’ll have new found respect for the nhl refs

• Ya think? I didn’t see any of our boys take two handed face checks to the B’s face… not any two handed slashes like the Rat. Eller was on him for the most of the night, which I liked. Showed Eller has some spice in him, but Eller needs to stay out of the box. How many slashes, cross-checks do they have to take before the B’s will get called. Yup, the Habs will clutch and grab too, but is that worse than getting jumped from behind and pushed to the ice? Anyone remember Moore who hasn’t played since Bertuzzi washed his cash on the ice with a pile-on? That’s what worries me.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Dust says:

interference and holding are just as much penalties as cross checks and slashes.
        The refs let it all go. it was very consistant.
        Like I said, both teams got away with penalties.

• ceedee says:

I was glad to hear Pierre Maguire — who can be hit or miss — call the Bergeron “stickless” hit what it was: a clean open ice hip check. Also glad Paille’s leg check wasn’t more serious. Could have been a major.

23. ceedee says:

Bruins fan and occasional HIO visitor. A few thoughts from this side: 1) Bartkowski has been god awful throughout the playoffs and it is time for CJ to sit him and dress Mezsaros. 2) I am embarrassed by the moronic Bruins fans who boo PK Subban. He was (again) the best player on the ice with the one exception of the Florek penalty, He would look great in black and gold! 3) Despite the game 1 loss and Prices’s otherworldly performance, I still have hope. Most of all, though, I am just so FREAKING HAPPY the Bruins and Habs are facing off again in the playoffs. This is the greatest rivalry in sports (including Liverpool – Man U) and is what I hope for at the beginning of every season. Bonne chance, mes amis Canadiens.

• Mike Boone says:

Be careful now. You might force us to reassess our low opinion of Bruins fans.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• stephen says:

Hi ceedee,

It’s nice to have a reasonable voice from ‘the other side’.

Your Bruins are one hell of a team. They seem to do everything well, and when they’re firing on all cylinders they’re downright dominant.

Like you, in spite of any irrational animosity amongst the respective fan bases, I’m just glad these two teams are locking horns again this spring.

Cheers!

• Habfan17 says:

Very nice post! I agree, I have watched every Mtl – Bos series going back to 1971. It is my favourite match up, and the one that always makes me the most nervous! I hope they stick to playing hard hockey! It is fun to watch!!

Habfan17

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Hey, stop being reasonable.. You are thwarting all the Bruins fan stereotypes!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• ths says:

This is some reverse reverse troll right ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• ths says:

This is some reverse reverse troll right ?

• How about the garbage being thrown on the ice? That’s classy.

Most of us enjoy a spirited discussion amongst sports fans, but we both have to put up with morons on both sides of the fence for sure.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hey CD

You should be happy. Your Bruins are good.

The most amazing thing about the team is that 5 of their top 10 scorers this year were not there at the start of last season. Something is working.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Cal says:

So sorry you follow that, um, franchise.
      But, yes, this is the greatest rivalry in pro sports. It isn’t spring until the Habs and Bruins have a playoff series.

24. habstrinifan says:

Serious serious question… and maybe huge decisions for MT.

Game 1.. I didnt want Prust or anyone to ‘fight’.

But mark my words. Game 2 Bruins will start stuff. Never mind Julien and any Bruin sounding ‘calm’ today. GAME 2 is gonna be a game with lots of attempts at intimidation.

So what does Therrien do. How do you get the ‘BIG’ players into the lineup.

Hate to say it but can we really shift Bournival in now for Moen??? I would like to but…

What about Murray?

No Parros… he’s not a credible fighting factor anymore/

But the HABS better expect a meaner nastier B squad.

Lineup change or not??? any answers?

• stephen says:

Hi trinifan,

If the Bruins are more focused on attempting to intimidate, let them fill their boots. That just means their focus isn’t on scoring.

Given that Moen is coming off a concussion (of how many in his career?), I would not want to see him drop the gloves anyway.

In terms of lineup changes, as much as I like what Bournival brings, I suppose you have to stay with the lineup that has won their first five games of the playoffs.

Great topic for conversation though!

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks ..I really see old type B hockey on order for game two.

• stephen says:

You may well be right.

As I mentioned below, however, I am just hopeful that the Habs stay focused on making the necessary adjustments to tighten up their overall game.

Let the Bruins go ‘full gorilla’ if they like. The Habs already have their split.

• boing007 says:

The Habs won their first four games with Bournival in the lineup.

Richard R

• stephen says:

D’oh! You’re bang-on about Bournival, boing!

I would actually really like to see him back in the lineup, but I don’t see Therrien deviating from Moen’s veteran experience.

I suppose debating between two seemingly effective players is a happy problem to have in the end, no?

• Habfan17 says:

I agree! The best thing the Habs can do is stay focused and play that aggressive fore check and hope, if the Bruins do go out of their way to intimidate, it leads to a few breaks, and the Habs bury them! Then the Bruins will have to switch tactics

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

I can’t see Murray handling the speed and tempo of last night’s game. Not to mention all the extra pressure he would put on his partner, which would probably be Weaver.

24.4 Cups

• ths says:

Def put Murray in there.He’s the closest thing to a beast on the Habs and he will even take a beating from Chara for the team. Moen is as useless as Parros for fighting now due to his unfortunate condition so I would put White in for Moen and Bourney in for one of the others on bubble

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• Cal says:

The “stuff” started last night with Marchand and the two kneeing incidents that should have been majors.
      No line up changes unless players are injured.
      The Habs haven’t really displayed their team speed yet.
      Watch for it tomorrow.

25. stephen says:

As is stated by every talking head on TV and radio, game 2 of every series is said to be the ‘adjustment game’, with both teams tinkering with strategy and/or personnel to better their performance.

When you consider how well the team adjusted in game 2 against Tampa, which was probably their best of the series, I’m confident they’ll tighten things up for the game on Saturday.

Another bonus of winning game 1? In game 2 they can focus on the facets that need shoring up in their game without the added pressure of trying to get out of town with the split.

If they win, great. If they don’t, they will have hopefully at least played a tighter game.

26. Strummer says:

Quotable quotes:

“He was All-World” – PK Subban on Carey Price
    “Best goalie on the planet”- Don Cherry on Price

Best of all:

“When you suck, you suck” Tuukka Rask on his own performance

______________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

strum

All around perfect quotes including Puukka Rask.

Edit: Had a Freudian fingertip slip.
      It should be Tuukka, instead of Puukka.

• 24 Cups says:

There certainly seems to be some kind of serious boogieman in Rask’s head when it comes to the Habs.

I’m doing this from memory but I think Rask is: 3-14 against Montreal, 1-8 against Carey and 0-9 on home ice against the Habs.

24.4 Cups

• Alzheimers is setting in for Cherry, as if he hasn’t had it before. Couldn’t care less what that despicable human being has to say. Poor, poor reflection on Canada having him on CBC, with any ability to make amends to the population long lost as he’s been on TV for far, far too long.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

27. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Let’s hope this happens to the Rat. Not that I want him humping the Habs. ;)

28. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

– Of the 333 players that have played in these 2014 NHL playoffs, only 1 single player – that being Paul Stastny, has scored more goals than Rene Bourque…and Stastny has played 2 more games than Rene.

– Francis Bouillon now has more goals in these 2014 playoffs than the “COMBINED” Total goals scored by:
    Sidney Crosby-Rick Nash-Brandon Saad-Teemu Selanne-Gustav Nyquist-David Kredci-Mike Richards-Jay Boumeester-Saku Koivu-Ryan McDonagh…..

Sorry if I’m not buying into the sentiments of how poorly the Habs supposedly played.

What exactly did anyone expect?
    The Habs were off for 9 days of ‘playoff hockey,’ and the 1st game back finds them at the Boston Zoo playing a pack of rabid animals where the intensity and atmosphere would be one of a den of hating wolves – from the ice level, to behind the bench, to the rafters.
    Meanwhile, Boston managed to have the ‘perfect’ 4 nights off…

From here, the expectations were somewhat low last night.
    Keep it close – don’t get embarrassed – don’t get hurt – try and get to OT if possible – see how it plays out.

3 more games like that from Carey in the next 6, and it’s all over.

In a contest where the Habs were totally outplayed, they somehow won the game due to the superhuman efforts of their two building blocks. Montreal hasn’t had a defenseman like Subban since the days of Larry Robinson. You have to go back twenty years to find a Hab goalie who would be the equal of Carey Price. The team may never have another forward like Guy Lafleur, but as Meatloaf states, two out of three ain’t bad.

24.4 Cups

• DuckDodgers says:

There’s always thoughtfulness in your posts, S., so truly respectfully and not meaning to detract from your points, if Subbie matches Chris Chelios’ years in MTL (too few), we should be near ecstatic.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hey Cups

Was thinking the exact same thing.

It’s been so long since the Habs had clutch ‘winning’ goaltending.
      21 years in 1 case (1993) and 28 years in another case (1986) Some are too young, and others don’t remember what it takes in the nets to move forward in playoff hockey

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – I’m not a huge Roy fan but his goaltending display in 1993 was the best I’ve seen since Bower/Sawchuk won a Cup for Toronto.

DuckDodgers – I give Robinson the nod over Chelios due to Larry’s ability to generate more offence and goals. Truth be told, Chelios was a better Black Hawk and Red Wing than when he was a Hab.

24.4 Cups

30. boing007 says:

Re-insert Bournival. Charlie Hustle. Pete Rose on skates.

Richard R

31. DuckDodgers says:

Was it McGinn MB held out for, and Sherman/Roy/Sakic were trying to pawn off Parenteau on the Habs? All those folks can exhale, and inhale too although many in that state does so 28 grams at a time, and watch a fine playoffs performance by Rene.

32. hbghab says:

Wow. I must have aged 5 years last night! Boone. I don’t know how you do it??

33. Psycho29 says:

Good Morning All! Great win, we’ll take it!

I did find a reasonable Bruins fan on Twitter:

Lucic Fight Club ‏@LucicFightClubs ·8 hrs
    If I see any Bruins fan, or anyone for that matter being racist, I will call you out. Get over yourselves. Its 2014. We’re equal.

Lucic Fight Club ‏@LucicFightClubs ·8h
    Willie O’ree. He was the first African American to play in the NHL. He played for the BRUINS. Stop racism

34. DuckDodgers says:

Vanek wasn’t invisible, he stuck out like a sore thumb. Tryin’ to picture the play when he skated at NHL speed. ‘Twas either the pre-game warm-up or the second period twenty minute mark. Masterful coaching to recognize that line was a big leak and could have lost the game in a matter of a few shifts in the first period.

35. Mattyleg says:

Good morning my fine friends!
    A cracking win by our boys, and we can now (hopefully) put behind us any psychotic ramblings along the lines of Carey Price not having ‘proven’ himself in the playoffs, n’est pas?

This win was awesome as it hurt the B’s confidence. They must be wondering, as TB did, what they have to do to score.

The only thing we need to do now is get our top line scoring. It was pretty obvious that they would focus on shutting it down, and now that they have, we can look at how to get around their defense.

Vanek looking Kovalevian out there… let’s hope he got Therrien’s message and turns it on for next game!

Great result, THE SWEEP IS ON!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. howiemorenz7 says:

If we’re gonna win the Cup, it’ll be ’86 or ’93 style, and we have the goalie to do it. We miss Chucky. All in all, that was FUN.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

37. danp says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the only shots that matter are the ones that go into the net.

Somebody – don’t recall who – was interviewed on NHL Live the other day. Talking about statistics. His take is that winners never know the stats – or care.

Enough with the negative. Habs won!
    Dan

38. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Very reminiscent of:
    May 2nd, 1993 BUF 3 MTL 4
    May 4th, 1993 BUF 3 MTL 4
    May 6th, 1993 MTL 4 BUF 3
    May 8th, 1993 MTL 4 BUF 3

Refs where as expected, Useless.
    Layoff helped some vets, hurt others.
    Suivant.

Go Habs GO!
    Go Habs GO!
    Go Habs GO!

39. petefleet says:

I’m not lamenting the win. I’m not saying the Habs were unfairly treated, they did score 2 pp goals as a result of penalty calls against the Broons. What I am saying is I hope I live to see the day that the NHL makes calls in a consistant manner like the NFL does. You will never hear an NFL commentator saying that the ref can’t make that call late in the game when there is only a one goal differential. My question is why not? Why not make consistant calls all through the game, the season, the playoffs? Mr. Marchand would have spent a large portion of the game in the penalty box (I’d rather the press box but….). Gorges gets what was a marginal holding call behind his own net (but it was holding) and The New Rat gets away with 2 cross checks and a slash 3 feet from an onlooking ref. Why? Because that’s the way Boston plays? and if the refs called all of their infractions they’d be shorthanded all game? Yes and what would be wrong with that? It’s wrong that a team works so hard to get to the playoffs by playing good clean hockey all year, perfecting their pk and working on their pp only to have the (best of the best) refs put their whistle away. The hockey is definately not a cleaner brand of hockey in the playoffs so why the reduction in penalty calls? All that ends up happening is that it plays into the hands of teams like the Broons, LA, Philly and Anaheim from years ago. Teams like Detroit and Montreal get beat up on and can’t even rely on the refs to allow them to even the score on the pp (last night was an exception). Mark my words, Boston will come out swinging again on Saturday (literally) and will try to hurt someone. The refs will be allowing alot of crap because its “playoff hockey” and a good, skilled team will feel the brunt of it. Hopefully the Habs will come out on the winning end again, but maybe not. Hard to watch, hard to stomach.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Mike Boone says:

Good points. I thought the refs were right to let them play last night, and nothing kills a game’s flow and entertainment value like a parade to the penalty box. But Marchand does get away with a lot.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• DipsyDoodler says:

But if the refs called everything the players would stop taking penalties.

Even Bruins have a bit of cerebral cortex.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

They need to call it properly.
        When it’s kneeing call it kneeing, not tripping.

• Habfan17 says:

Sorry Mike! The rules are there for a reason and like other posters have mentioned, if they called it the same way all the time, there would not be a constant parade to the box! This comment that the refs want to let them play and decide the game makes no sense, By letting them “play” the refs are affecting the outcome.

Habfan17

• Flanelette says:

It’s not Marchand, it’s Marchânne.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Refs know the league does not have their back.

In fact, let’s see if last night’s refs get much more work in the playoffs.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• zephyr says:

I agree wholeheartedly. the nhl is the most poorly officiated pro sport in the world (unless u incl. the cfl as a pro sport).
      in the nfl, an o-lineman gets called for holding when he holds & the official doesn’t ignore it because it’s ot or late or whatever.
      at least the reffing hasn’t been negligent like it was against Ottawa last yr..

• Thomas Le Fan says:

To be fair, it’s likely the hardest sport to officiate. Fast, contact sport that we get to see in slow mo and then criticize players and refs for missing things. However, I thought the Bruins got away with a lot and we, playing a very disciplined game, got called for every thing that could have been called.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• DuckDodgers says:

Didn’t know Henry Ford was a hockey fan. Kinda heard Abe posts under a quaint username.

What a game to win, bend not break was maximized last night and this Habs team believes in each other, even though some had rough games last night.

There is no reason to believe that the Habs will play that way again, we have in recent years played Boston very well. I see no reason to believe the Habs get out played in regulation like that in another game. As others pointed out, our Habs looked to be as good or even the better team in Overtime.

Vanek has a payday to play for, if he cannot show more soon then indeed our friend JF is correct in that we won’t need to worry about tendering him a large contract. However, I see no reason that he won’t come out better, he has historically played well against the Bruins.

The team should get a big shot of confidence out of this win and I look for an improved game tomorrow.

My only concern is Price being a bit fatigued, but he has proven throughout the year that he can be counted on.

Perhaps we add a Murray or Tinordi to the lineup in place of a Briere or Moen, or does Bournival check back into the lineup? MT has a difficult job in making such decisions, but so far he continues to make the right ones, despite some peoples constant joys in criticizing.

Let’s enjoy the win and hope the team plays better as a whole, if that is the case we can win this series. But for now lets just hope we can win game 2.

41. Old Bald Bird says:

The win is great and what the doctor ordered. It’s amazing that Habs won — all due to Price, PK and a few others. They need to be quicker from here on in: quicker on the puck, quicker to move it out, quicker thru the transition, and quicker on the forecheck. Otherwise, it will be a short series. I do think they’ll do better though.

42. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! To succeed in the playoffs your best players need to be your best players. That’s exactly what Price and PK were last night. Not sure how Price was only given the 3rd star but the folks who voted may have watched a different game. Truth be told, Montreal had NO business winning that game last night. They did so because of Price’s performance.

Kudo’s to Eller, Weaver (what a friggin pickup), Gionta and Bourque as well.

43. Black Horse says:

“Price is looking positively Halakian”.

It pisses me off when I hear comments like the above one!

If my memory serves me correctly, the Habs haven’t won a Cup since 1993 ….

Enough with the Fcking Halak comparisons …

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

44. Cal says:

The Habs arguably played their collective worst game and scored 4 against a Gooin team playing their best.
    Jabba is worried. I saw him eating parts of the Dunkin’ Donuts sign at the presser. ;)

45. Cal says:

It seems like every minute
    The Bruins have the Habs under the gun
    But when it’s time to win it
    It feels like ’71.

Game 1 was back and forth,
    Price really was amazin’
    Later on it was PK’s turn;
    He came out with guns blazin’.

The Bruins kept in going
    Pouring out the hits
    But the Habs are never slowing
    And they’re givin’ those bears fits.

Look at that chemistry
    Among Eller, Bourque and Gionta
    To think they’re gonna score isn’t sophistry
    If not now; later they oughta.

Look at tiny Cube and Weaver
    Takin’ all the pounding
    Listen to Ginette;
    She’s the Horn Resounding.

Game one is history;
    It’s all been said and done.
    The Habs winning ain’t no mystery;
    It feels like ’71.

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It was a rough game on HIO last night, especially when the comments started to collapse into manic depressive trolling after the start of the third.
    With the way Price stole the game, the trolls are under the Champlain Bridge without a helmet this morning. I’ll bet there are a few hangovers too. This is going to be a fun series.
    Saturday afternoon. Don’t they know people have to work?

47. JF says:

What’s up with Thomas Vanek? He was underwhelming against Tampa and completely unready last night. Therrien assured us in his press conference that Vanek is not injured. So what gives? Is it just rust, is he a slow starter in the playoffs? Or is he a player who lowers instead of raises his game in the postseason? Or is he playing not to get injured? Whatever, if he doesn’t start having an impact soon, we can stop worrying about what it will take to keep him in Montreal next season. Minny can have him.

The Antichambre guys were stunned by Therrien’s dismantling of the top line so early in the game. I was impressed. I thought it was a gutsy move. Therrien obviously saw something he really didn’t like and took steps to get it off the ice as quickly as possible. When it comes to winning a playoff game, it seems no player is safe from benching for lack of effort. I like that message.

48. DipsyDoodler says:

Anyone else getting this?

You Might Also Like:
    Habs will start Budaj in goal against Bruins
    Hockey Inside/Out

—–
    Moving. Forward.

49. DipsyDoodler says:

Can Therrien teach the team the Trap in the next 24 hours? Because we need to do something.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

50. zephyr says:

hopefully, this puts an end to the ‘what have u done for me lately’ crowd that wanted to trade subban, dd, bourque, & eller at various times this season. I doubt it.
    for most of last nite we played boston’s game instead of ours. I hope that was because we were rusty & not because mt made changes to the game plan. I was reminded last nite of the 1st sugar ray leonard – Roberto duran fight. when leonard fought his fight in the rematch it was no contest & duran gave up.
    let’s hope we play our game from now on & it’s the bruins who cry ‘no mas’.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

With all due respect, this is not the Bourque we saw this season. I dare say we have NEVER seen Bourque play like this for the Habs.

• zephyr says:

last season’s playoffs, bro.. u have a short memory. he was a little snake-bit this season unfortunately. the guy is big, has elite speed & can shoot. some guys get u to the playoffs & some guys get u thru the playoffs – mb.

51. JUST ME says:

What a stressfull game ! It was a tall order to play a game after a vacation period and an even taller to think that we could win game one, and we needed to also. So, yesterday`s results are amazing even more when you think that we sure did not play a good game and owe this one to Carey and to relentless work. Again, we never gave up and kept on fighting and as it has been the case since we are that focused, results were there.

Hats off to Ian who predicted here yesterday that Eller would be the man cause he was ! Probably his most impressive effort i have seen from him considering that this one came in a game with real high stakes.

Actually half the team had a great game but the other half had a below par performance. I would rather see it as a team win and a definite possibility for improvement.
    The Habs need to make a few adjustments wich the Bruins do not need to bring cause they have played their ¨A¨ game and we did not.

We have given more quality scoring chances in one game than within the whole serie against Tampa and this needs to be adressed but for the rest ,if a few cylinders fire up we should be good cause yesterday one one line was threatening, Bourque,Eller,Gionta. Of course that being said also of P.K. who was dominant and such a motivated weapon.

Would like to say a warm farewell to yet another group gone in the now crowded house of crow eaters. Although not too present here the band of a 4 game sweep from the Bruins are now weeping on their pillow like little princesses…. Too bad,so sad…

We all saw the same game and cannot pretend that it was pretty and/or satisfying.At this time of the season i do not think we need to sugar coat it or give long explanations on how to fix it but just regroup and work hard. I like the compete level of the team, the consistency and team work and look forward to the next meeting tomorrow.

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

@D-Mex.
    Thrilled for you! Weise Sr moment indeed! You must be bursting. Many congrats.

53. Danno says:

“Price is looking positively Halakian.”

Halak it. Halak it a lot! :lol:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

54. The Jackal says:

One interesting thing to note was that we were a better team during the OTs, and Boston looked like they were tired by the second OT, while we kept at it and pressured them into making mistakes.
    We won’t win many games if we keep getting out-played we did today, but it’s great to steal game 1 and know we can be better than we were tonight.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

Dan Shaughnessy; Boston Globe:

…way over the top in My reckoning …but it is a Bostonian

…hope the Bruins’ players are half as wigged-out as this Boston Globe hack :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for the link, HiS.
      Free period, read both Shaughnessy and Fluto. Good pieces, no moaning about anything (like officiating or diving etc).
      However, neither seems to get that while Boston did indeed play a brilliant game — Fluto even says their best of the season — Montreal played poorly. And won.
      When we start playing better, Boston will not be able to dominate like that.

56. habkin says:

I forget who introduced this video …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJWbwG8BUw
    But it is phuken solid! Let the Habs get the Booins while they are eating eggs and bacon:) Cheers Habs Nation

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…has anyOne else noticed that tsn.ca no longer allows You to watch video unless AdBlock is disabled ?

…grrrr :(

58. Mr. Biter says:

Watched the game on the NBC Feed. Play by play team was slightly biased to the Bruins (no where near as bad as CBC for any team vs. the Habs), however all three including Milbury agreed on the last 2 penalties as correct calls. Then go to TSN highlights and get “A controversial penalty” from the hosts.
    Best of all no mention of the Leafs.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

59. AceMagnum says:

Hope the celebration was bumpin at Metropolis.

It’ll be more of the same on Saturday when we see Peter “Yellow-Teeth” Chiarelli grimacing after every time Carey robs one of his goons on a scoring chance.

60. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s called stealing a game.

Montreal’s C-Game defeats Boston’s A-Game.

The Habs were away, coming off 11-days with no competitive hockey, and playing the President’s Trophy winners. The Habs were not supposed to win.

But they did, swiping home-ice advantage, and continuing the long tradition of screwing with the Bruins’ heads.

All Montreal has to do now is upgrade from C-Game to at least B-Game. What does BOSTON have to do? This morning they will be asking themselves that exact question: what the hell do we have to do to beat this team?

Our top line needs to get back to scoring, and the horrendously lame possession lapses in our own end must stop.

Boston fans? I don’t know, maybe boo PK a bit louder. Really, really loud, try to put him off his game.

Off to school. GMT post-double-OT. There will be tears.

61. kalevine says:

I was having a hard time with those goal celebrations especially by Krug and Boychuk. They seem to be rubbing it in and acting like they just won the series. Nothing wrong with a little dance but thumping ones chest/logo repeatedly? Does he do that whenever he scores?

So… how is Michael Therrien going to make Vanek a better person before game 2?

63. The_Truth says:

The Bruins certainly were the better overall team tonight and deserved better, but Price played his best Playoff game in his career and came through with many big saves.

Sometimes, in NHL playoff hockey you have to steal one and get the breaks if you want to go all the way. It won’t happen again like this in the series, so the Habs need to be much better on Saturday.

They have to make adjustments and forcheck the Bruins more and not hang back with this rope-a-dope style. The Bruins smelled blood and just pounded the Habs D-core tonight. When the Eller line forechecked, the Bruins had issues. Everyone has to do that. Vanek and Patches have to seriously step up. When little Davey is the most physical on that line (by far), there is a problem.

I liked the reaction of the Habs, how they almost were acting like they lost, even though they won. They know very well, they have to be better and I believe they will be. Some great coaching by MT again. Some great timing, on the lines he is putting out. He has a great feel for his team and what is happening out there.

By the way, notice who the first one who jumped PK was, after the OT winner? Bourque. The man is as engaged and passionate as any player on the team right now. Great to see.

• Marc10 says:

The best trade Bergie made was not trading Bourque.

He is a man possessed. Has he ever played better hockey?(Honorable mention to Born Again Great Dane Lars Eller…)

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think there is very good chance that no one would take Bourque, and least not for any significant return. I doubt he would have that problem now.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

When the Bruins lose it´s exactly what they deserve. Why are you always wrong?

64. PrimeTime says:

Where are the Halakians?

• jimmy shaker says:

Why?

Shaker out!

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m here. A reformed Halakian. I was certain they had traded the wrong goalie, even after 50 years of watching the Habs. The pros understand things the amateurs don’t, and this season, Price has been the goalie Gainey said he had. I lacked patience, and respect for the knowledge of the people who do this full time.

Price had to learn his trade, and he did. A few of us fans had to learn again that excellence is a process, and miracles don’t sustain themselves. A good team is being assembled, although you’d never know that from the comments here last night.

• Loop_Garoo says:

They moved to New York, which must have been tough as half their luggage is still in Buffalo.

65. Marc10 says:

11 to go.

Sometimes you just have to weather the storm and eke out a result. We did that tonight… or rather Carey Price did that tonight.

Way to steal it Carey. You will get a better team in front of you as the series progresses. Go news for you cowboy, bad news for Rask.

We’re in their heads now. Thanks Carey.

Who is a little cutie behind Price during the interview?

67. HankHardball says:

Sports is supposed to be simple.
    You have a better team, you play better, you win.

Unless the hockey gods mess with your game plan.

The B’s might be starting to think it’s actually possible they could lose this series.

68. Garbo says:

Gawd… not only do we have to put up with constant Bruins lapping and habs bashing on CBC and TSN, we now have to put up with it from our beloved Boone. I’m sorely disappointed.

THIS WAS GAME 1 OF A 4 GAME SWEEP. The Bruins are the worst team in organized sports history.

69. Hamayoune says:

This game was reminiscent of the 2010 miraculous playoff run. I felt like my hair greyed every minute.

Let’s hope this was a result of Habs players being rusty.

I expect the team to neutralize Lucic’s line just like they did with Stamkos. And Vanek’s line needs to step it up. Fix these two problems and we’ve got a pretty strong match up to the gorillas on the other team.

Man, seeing Lucic and Krug beating off their chests after scoring pissed me off.

But that deadly look on Subban’s face after the OT goal was priceless.

(Repost from previous blog)

70. Habitant in Surrey says:

…now I can lay My head to sleep

…Boone and Normand just assured Me that what I saw was not a fantasy

71. jctremblay says:

BEat the Bruins with one line, a red hot goalie, and most of our D (other than Subban) and most of our forwards, not playing up to the level we’ve watched all year. I’m pretty happy …we’ll get better..Boston played as well as they can IMO. I am betting we see the young and swift and defensively responsible Bournival on Saturday. He’s made for this type of hockey.

• Timo says:

Instead of who? You know Therrien won’t sit Vanek or Moen. For a moment I thought Vanek was injured but no… he just sucked that bad.

• jctremblay says:

Has to be Moen, Timo…Vanek is necessary for them to win. If he does a no show for the entire series, they aren’t winning. He turned the Habs into a team that can roll 4 lines. I have disagreed with very little MT has done this year, but not dressing Bournival tonight was crazy stupid IMO.

72. D Mex says:

Time for an announcement of my own :
    > Today was a near-perfect day, because :
    1- my son was drafted into the WHL, and
    2- Habs beat Boston in a playoff game.
    In that order … :-D

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

73. vlhorowitz says:

WE ARE A TEAM OF DESTINY

74. Un Canadien errant says:

At the beginning of Rocky II, we see Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa in the hospital after the terrible beating they gave each other during their title fight. Apollo, especially, is sullen and pensive, and even though he’s won the bout and preserved his title. He’s despondent that he gave the challenger everything he had, and couldn’t knock him out.

The comparison to tonight’s game isn’t perfect, since in tonight’s game the challenger, ably played by your plucky Canadiens, actually pulled off an upset 4-3 double overtime win, but you have to wonder if the Bruins will become somber and fatalist like Apollo. They gave the Canadiens all they had, had them on the ropes, softened them up by hitting the body, missed on a lot of what could have been knockout blows, and couldn’t put them away.

The Canadiens’ rope-a-dope was not just a sound strategy late in the game, you got a sense that was the only stance they could adopt, to weather the storm. While they were able to break out of their zone with ease earlier in the game, as the game progressed they were increasingly bottled up and flailing while shots whizzed by their net.

We can say the Bruins were unlucky to not win the game, with lots of open nets missed, and pucks that skittered through the crease and other heart-stopping moments, but that would be short-changing Carey Price. He stopped 48 of 51 shots, a number of them of the highlight variety. Some detractors would accuse him in the past of ‘not stealing games’, but this year, and specifically tonight, he put that criticism to rest.

P.K. Subban played an impact role, playing tough, playing lots, and being productive, scoring twice, including the OT game-winner. Importantly, he kept his cool when confronted by Bruins taking runs at him, and generally all through the game.

The only fly in the ointment is his habit of delivering bodychecks, or attempting to deal them out, by skating backwards, rear-end first. Tonight, he tried three time to connect, and wasn’t successful. What’s worse, he put himself out of position by doing so, twice glaringly so. I don’t know if he can be coached to hit otherwise, if it’s something he can do, or can learn this late in his career, or if it’s something like baseball players who don’t learn to slide feet-first, and can’t do it, no matter how much they want to, they end up going head first. I’d really like for P.K. to plant his shoulder in opponents’ chests, and knock the wind out of them, like Mark Hunter or Gilbert Delorme used to do. And that kid Gainey, he could hit pretty good. Maybe show P.K. some videos of that guy.

Lars Eller and René Bourque continued to atone for their regular season. René potted another goal, ho hum. Lars won some big faceoffs, was fast and physical out there. At times, their line seemed to be the only one that could push back against the Bruins.

Conversely, the #1 line of Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek was pitiful, and was dismantled early in the first period, Coach Michel Therrien swapping in Dale Weise for Thomas Vanek. Most analysts on RDS were stumped by this decision, or at least its haste, but Mr. Vanek did struggle, at times being downright invisible. As stated before, much is expected of these guys, and tonight they fell far short of expectations.

Francis Bouillon scored a big goal during a scramble in the Bruins zone, when they skittered around their net like termites around a busted colony, due to the work of aardvarks Lars, René and Brian Gionta. The captain got control of the puck behind the net, spotted Frankie sneaking in from the blue line and fed him the puck, which he fired in the net from the slot. I formulated the thought that Douglas Murray or Jarred Tinordi would have been hard-pressed to make that play, or to skate the puck out of the zone like he did on a few occasions, beating a forechecking Bruin with his quickness. Michel Therrien has some decisions to make regarding his roster, whether to inject more toughness or more speed, but it will be difficult to take Francis out after tonight’s performance.

I couldn’t help but notice Brad Marchand crosscheck P.K. Subban in the face during the game, and also slash and crosscheck David Desharnais after a whistle, under the nose of the referees. They’ll be under pressure to limit penalties as the series advances, since some will lament the fact that the game-winner was a powerplay tally, so I’ll be cringing to see how far that Bruins’ designated rat will be allowed to take it. So it begins.

So an encouraging start for the Canadiens, in that they won a game they probably shouldn’t have. They’ve nullified the Bruins’ home-ice advantage with this steal. It will remain to be seen how both teams react to this result. The Bruins especially can go either way, crushed under their inferiority complex versus the Habs, worried about ghosts, with a flaky goalie who seems to come up short against their hated rivals. Or, they can tell themselves that all they need to do is play the same way Saturday, and the bounces will come, the pucks will go in, and Carey Price will buckle. It’s gotta happen, right?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Garbo says:

Sigh… is all we can do is criticize PK after a game like that?! No wonder people find it hard to play in this market.

• jctremblay says:

Very measured criticism..though. PK missed with that bum check at least twice tonight and both times it led to dangerous Broon scoring chances. You gamble like that and lose in the playoffs? You take the criticism that follows. Other than those gaffes, PK played liked a superstar tonight. Because he is one..

• Mavid says:

That’s not what I read..he did miss his hits, if he is going to do that he needs to be better at it,

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Great recap and analysis, as always.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

UCE, I also saw that the ref was 4 FEET away from Marchand for the slash on DD … the only thought I had as to why he swallowed the whistle was that DD didn’t react at all to the slash … as though he had given a small shot first … the only explanation I can muster for the Colin Campbell (TM) Free Pass.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

75. Habies says:

Out of sixteen, E-LE-VEN has the most syllables.

Ain’t an easy one.

76. Cal says:

Kuemper is hurt. Minny did great to win against Colorado, but their playoff run ends with the Bryzer.

77. Strummer says:

Why should HE apologize?

______________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

78. ianism says:

i agree. he should apologise ‘on behalf of individuals who call themselves bruins fans’

79. D Mex says:

Agreed.
    Time for him to deliver a Bob Gainey-esque message to the dumb mutts at large that their ‘ support ‘ is neither wanted nor needed by his team.
    And, for extra effect, he should have Iginla standing beside him when the message is delivered.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

80. D Mex says:

✔ – it would sure send them a message.

ALWAYS Habs –