About last night …

CelebrateTB

Let’s be honest.
Were it not for the heroics of Carey Price, your Montreal Canadiens would not be in the playoffs.
But as we say in this red-hot – and, this week, unseasonably cold – hockey city, what have you done for me lately?
Heading into Game 1 in Tampa Bay, the Canadiens goaltender was 4-14 in his previous 18 postseason starts.
Price’s overall playoff record was 9-17. His save percentage: a very ordinary .905.
But .905 is better than .750.
Through 60 minutes against the Lightning, Price was beaten four times on 16 shots.
There were turnovers to create some Tampa Bay chances.
And Steven Stamkos scores against many NHL goaltenders.
But still …

The ghosts of playoffs past are never far from fans’ memories in Montreal.

Through three periods, Carey Price in 2014 was not Jaroslav Halak in 2010. That role was played by Anders Lindback, as the Tampa Bay goaltender faced a barrage of 35 shots.

And when the Canadiens blew two third-period leads, fans had to asking some questions about their goaltender.

Price answered them in OT. He made nine saves, including a game-saver on Alex Killorn, the kid who stayed at Harvard after Louis Leblanc, his friend from from Montreal’s West Island suburbs, left school to go off and ruin his career.

Killorn and Stamkos were the best players in blue jerseys on a night dominated by the guys in white.

In his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien cited “contributions from everyone”, and the stat sheet bears out the coach’s analysis:

• No fewer than 11 Canadiens skaters made the scoresheet.

• The Thomas Vanek-David Desharnais-MaxPacioretty combined for 17 shots on goal. Vanek had seven, plus two that were blocked. Desharnais, shooting more often than is his wont, had six.

• Josh Gorges played 28 minutes and, uncharacteristically, didn’t block a shot. But his defensive alertness prevented a least two Lightning goals.

• Daniel Brière picked up an assist to run his playoff point total to 110 in 109 games. Brière added playmaking punch to a fourth line that spent long stretches in the Tampa Bay end, thanks to the speed and on-the-puck tenacity of Michäel Bournival (playing the first postseason game of what I hope will be a long Canadiens career) and Dale Weise, the trade acquisition whose OT goal had Marc Bergevin hugging everyone in the Canadiens suite at the St. Pete Forum.

• Lars Eller, back from a bout with the flu, had a goal and an assist, as did his linemate, Brian Gionta. Eller added four hits to match the line’s LW, Rene Bourque.

• Tomas Plekanec scored the first-period goal that deflated the home crowd 19 seconds after Nikita Kucherov opened the scoring. Pleks won 16 of 29 faceoffs and played 2:04 of the four minutes the Canadiens were shorthanded.

Heading into Game 2 on Friday, Therrien enjoys the luxury of deploying three lines that excelled in Game 1 – and one that was OK. Playing with Pleks and the customarily energetic Brendan Gallagher, Brandon Prust struggled a bit in his first game since March 18. He’ll be better as the series progresses.

If Tampa bay isn’t better on Friday, the series could end quickly. One need look no further than last spring’s Montreal-Ottawa series for evidence that losing the first game on home ice is not an ideal start.

With the exception of Victor Hedman and Radko Gudas, who had nine hits, Tampa Bay’s D struggled against the Canadiens’ speed and peristence. Mattthew Carle had three giveaways, Sami Salo two. Eric Brewer had difficulty with the Canadiens’ speed and was beaten badly by Brière on Weise’s winner..

Not that the Canadiens shone on the back end. Mike Weaver had a rough night, as did Alexei Emelin. P.K. Subban looked shakey early on but improved as the game progressed; he still hangs on to the puck too long. Andrei Markov played 33:41, high on both teams, but had no SoG and was minus-2.

I thought this game was won by the forwards, who worked hard to keep the puck in the Lightning zone for long stretches and fired 44 shots at Lindback.

Most of the offensive pressure, however, came at even strength. The Canadiens’ power play continues to fire blanks: No goals since March 25 – nine games and counting.

But the PP’s ineptitude was a minor blemish on a solid effort.

“We kept our composure,” Therrien said. “We stuck to the game plan, and we were rewarded at the end.”

If the Canadiens play this well in Game 2 – and if Price is as sharp as he was in OT – the Lightning could be travelling north in a big hole.

• 2,200-plus Comments on the game blog. I guess it’s the playoffs, eh?

• The victory dance:

1. JUST ME says:

Do not know about you guys but i do not think that the Habs will play any….loosely than yesterday so this is why this win was sooo huge. The reality of it is that for once shots on goal do tell the story, the Bolts lead a total of 214 seconds of the game and our 4 lines were factors in the final verdict. That being said, i expect many players to raise their level of excellence but if we continue to play as a team it then becomes easier for each and every individual to start back at square one and look forward to getting results for their efforts.

2. Black Horse says:

Rest assured, Montreal will contain and neutralize the threat aka – Stamkos for the remainder of this series. I see no more goals for the said contaminate!

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

3. SmartDog says:

Two thoughts>
    Below some people are criticizing PK. I’m not sure why. He didn’t have his best game but several times he gained the zone single-handed, and he also got off a bunch of howitzers. If one went in (and could have) everyone would be saying he had a good game.

If I was in charge of this I would sit Galchenyuk next to Vanek. Galchenyuk has the skills, he could really learn from how Vanek uses them. He’s a talented player unlike any other on this team – like a cross between DD and Patches, half great sniper, half smart passer.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mdp2011 says:

The PK criticism is not necessarily about last night, but his overall play since January.

• chesterfiled says:

Subban is still my favourite. His puck possession/forays in the opposition zone, swirling around only to have the opposition take it out the last couple of months have looked not so graceful. Would like to see his ‘move’ handled with more economy on the PP. Maybe some crazy rugby play where he has two forwards follow behind him, giving him the quick option to back pass and use himself as screen. Galchenyuk will learn from Vanek, too bad we don’t also have Hossa on this team!

4. Colombiahabs says:

I say come back guns blazing Friday. We got 4 lines that can score and from what I saw last night they have …. Stamkos.

If they want to trade goals we have more scoring depth and a better goalie to boot. If they try to do so they will lose.

5. shiram says:

Bulldogs Nattinen with the end to end goal.

6. Colombiahabs says:

Not sure how Price was gonna save those goals, the game was played like it was street hockey. Great to watch but hell for the goalies.

7. DD says:

I found it quite amusing listening to the Toronto-centric CBC pundits last night during the pre-show. It seems we have no answer on how to handle Stamkos. The whole time I was wondering when one of them would be astute enough to mention the way Plekanec systematically shut down both Crosby and Ovechkin a few years ago in the playoffs. I mean, if it isn’t obvious to them that Pleky is one of the premiere shut-down centers in the league by now, I guess they never will get it. Now I know Stamkos scored 2 last night, but Pleky was dominant in most of their interaction last night, and was a post away from matching Stamkos output. There were contributing factors to his two goal night including last line vhange due to home ice advantage, the line shuffling by Cooper, and the skill of Stamkos, yes, he wasn’t always contained, but he certainly wasn’t the deciding factor, which was the pundits talking point all night. Tampa Bay was in the game because of Lindback. Plain and simple. It’s either because the Toronto biased jack asses are incompetent (my choice) or they are purposely deceitful (not smart enough for that, in my opinion) I guess we should be thankful we’re not saddled with Knob Hole doing the play by play. Too bad that errant puck didn’t get Healy in the noggin, although the old adage, ‘no brain, no pain’ probably would have been his response.

• Strummer says:

I have no problem with HNIC or Healy generally speaking.
      The constant bashing on here is really getting old.
      Healy was right about Stamkos. The Habs had no answer for him as he scored twice.

____________________________________________________”It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• They know to play to the hand that feeds them. Paying us compliments would raise the ire of too many who are already angry at missing the playoffs and having to watch us.

Not surprisingly, they glaze over past playoff successes we’ve had.

That’s why I watch RDS even if the game is broadcast in English on CBC. I’m also getting pretty good at French because of it. ;)

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

• mrhabby says:

every team has issues trying to cover Stamkos.

• murfdog says:

I agree 100%, I was in shock how they did the game, healy is a cu*t. I wish the puck got him or Weise’s skate. Friday Im gonna put it on 690 AM and watch with TV on mute. Im sure healy was more pissed the Yzerman after that game. I thought the HABS playd great, finaly seeing Rene Bourqe throw his weight around, Price pulled it out in OT but when the goalie gets almost no action and then TB come flying its hard. We saw a little of PK late in the game what he looked like before Sushi but hes scary out there sometimes, Markov and Emlin are slow slow and TB are matching Stamkos’s line with them. I think if habs come out like that Friday again but Price plays like he did in OT be heading the the Bell Center with 2 wins. Stamkos in a great hockey player, his shot is like a rocket, next Olympics him and Crosby and Bergeron will tear it up. GO HABS GO.

8. Forum Dog says:

I’ve bashed him in the past (and will probably bash him in the future), but Desharnais played an excellent game last night. Lot’s of jump and aggression. He will always be a mediocre 200 foot player, but from the Tampa blueline in he did a great job.

Vanek is awesome. Guy has so much swagger that he brings the confidence level of the whole team up. Weise, Bourque and Bournival all did an excellent job with limited minutes. Eller was a force, and Briere created more than a couple of chances.

The D was good. Not great, but good. I thought PK and Gorges did a fine job on Stamkos for the most part, and Weaver and Bouillion played some quality minutes.

Price takes some heat in the ALN, but he made the saves he absolutely had to. It’s tough for a goalie when he doesn’t see a lot of action and then suddenly has Stamkos bearing down on him at full speed. I don’t think any of the goals were particularly bad, and the only one he probably wished he had back was Kucherov’s.

The depth of the Habs showed last night I thought. Other than Stamkos and a couple of others, TB did not create much. If MTL can limit SS’ effectiveness, their depth and experience should be a distinct advantage in this series.

Looking forward to the next game. If they can take 2 in TB, the series is theirs to lose….

9. Colombiahabs says:

Timo is actually a 14 year old boy. Trust me I know for a fact

10. krob1000 says:

Look at the elbow DD is taking in that picture

11. Old Bald Bird says:

I really like Weise, but with those good looks, I am surprised that the Bruins haven’t snapped him up. :)

Good effort by Les Boys although TB got some pretty good chances on their few opportunities. In fact, I am not too sure that they didn’t have as many ‘good’ ops as the CH despite the general play difference. As usual, however, I stand to be corrected by the more astute observers. These eagle eyes are getting old after all.

12. habsfan0 says:

In the 1993 playoffs, the Habs set a record by winning 10 straight OT games.
    I can see this year’s team equalling or bettering that record.

13. New says:

I have always liked Mike Boone. He is a beautiful writer. I guess I belong to a different school though. I figure that the team that finished above the Canadiens is pretty good and that Stamkos is pretty good. I think the Bolts gave the Canadiens fits last night while the Canadiens did well to just get the puck towards the net and let the Bolts goalie bobble it.

In any case most Canadiens wins are by one goal. Tampa normally scores more than Montreal. Last night they lost.

Montreal has to be one of the few places where you can win a tightly contested game, switch the home-ice advantage, beat the NHL Star of the week (3-0-0, 0.67 gaa, .975 sv) and be called out by the media. Such is life. The hottest defensive team meets the Habs, surrenders five goals, and the blog starts out with I want Jaro back.

• bwoar says:

Price has sucked in the playoffs, period.

• olematelot says:

Why keep bringing this up, old news. He was great in the OT which allowed them to pot the winner.

• bwoar says:

Eh, New seemed to miss Boone’s point.

I’m not too worried about Price, he had to the stones to stay in it and make the saves when it counted, as you point out.

• murfdog says:

So does your WIFE

• chesterfiled says:

Price’s W last night finished pretty well

• New says:

I’m not sure he has. Last year a crippled Montreal team was down 2-1 to Ottawa. The third game was tied when Price was injured and Budaj was in nets when they lost it and the next. The great 2010 Halak expedition habitually resulted in a bucket of perimeter shots he dropped on while opponents slapped at the loose puck, or in which he was pulled after allowing three on seven shots. What looks bad are Price’s stats from the playoffs. Just like the stats for this team in the playoffs for the last 20 years. Theodore, Huet, Halak, and a dozen others.

• bwoar says:

We’re expecting an improvement on those numbers, and he’s added to them.

I love Price, he’s a great goalie. But he’s gotta prove himself in the playoffs, gold medal or no. I’ve seen his softies, I’ve watched his nerves, I’ve seen the team help and hurt him. But it’s on him to excel and it’s within him to excel. It just needs to happen.

• Mike Boone says:

Let me be perfectly clear: I don’t want Jaro back. I have ALWAYS been a Price guy. That said, my man needs some stellar series to join Dryden, Roy and, yes, Halak in the pantheon of playoff goaltending greats.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• New says:

Let me be clear as well. The hottest defensive team in the last week of the NHL season allowed five last night. From just over half a goal to five, a ten fold increase. Hockey is a team game, not a goalie game.

The game was fast paced. Recall the look on Prust? A game of mistakes. Recall Vanek hustling back or Markov deciding laying down would be the answer to a 2 on 1? The difference between winning and losing was one goal. The Canadiens have been doing that a lot lately. Last night they did it against a team on a roll. The playoff games last night 5-4,4-3,4-3.

That is why Bergeron did his little dance. The Club is playing above it’s head now. For the first time in years it is a team. Teams find a way to win. Vanek somehow makes it back. Weise fires an unconscious shot on a pass from Briere. Eller, maligned by one and all, comes back and scores.

These guys are busting their butts for the Club. We should be proud of them.

• chesterfiled says:

I believe it was to critics of trading Halak, after allowing 4 goals last night… ‘Price answered them in OT.’ :)

14. PrimeTime says:

It’s a goalies job to give his team a chance to win. Last night the team gave Price a chance to win. Every player will look at video, listen to the coaches, and work to be better for game 2. Habs in 5.

15. bwoar says:

I cringed each time PK handled the puck.

This is a player with a big front. A public face. A great salesman. Flashing that million-dollar smile, winning over the hopeful and making like he just wants to learn and get better.

But the results – the play on the ice, the man’s actions – look exactly like a player who isn’t paying attention whatsoever. Not to the gameplan, not the game situations, not to where his teammates are. Alexei Emelin looks twice as good on the powerplay at the moment, and that’s where PK’s 8 million a year is supposed to come from. I felt embarrassed for him last night. He’s lucky the goalie had a rough evening, because his was arguably worse.

I’m sure it’s all the coach’s fault. And I’m sure this post is a lunatic personal vendetta. And I’m sure I must’ve watched the wrong game. I’m positive these are the words of an outright racist and somehow I’m just spewing my hatred for PK because I don’t like him. Sure. Some absolutely terrific hockey minds on this site are sure to point out these Really Important Facts.

I admit this 100%: I absolutely don’t trust him, much like his coaches don’t. For the same reason that Dustin Byfuglien isn’t trusted to play defense, PK Subban isn’t trusted as a defender. For all his talent (and he has plenty more than Big Buff ever had) he’s a defensive liability almost every time he’s on the ice. Any why not? No one’s gonna give a 35 point defender more than 6 million a year. (Well, the Leafs maybe.) He’s got a smart agent, he knows where the money’s at.

I don’t buy his schtick anymore. I think he listened just hard enough until he didn’t have to. Hey coach, I can’t hear you, there’s a Norris Trophy in here with my ego and my talent and my adoring crowd, and they’re all laughing too hard.

There’s no mystery why Therrien has to bench him from time to time, it’s the only message that gets through. I hope he ‘gets’ it sooner rather than later. He’s got so many terrific skills being put to such poor use, it’s like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

• D Mex says:

Not the coach’s fault.
      Not a lunatic post.
      Not the wrong game.
      You are not an outright racist.

It looked like he was trying to do too much at times.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• songles says:

I agree. PK is just not the player he was last year. His defensive side has fallen apart and he’s making poor decisions moving up ice. I get extremely nervous every time the puck is on his stick, or when he’s defending in his own zone.

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t cringe but your post does point out how the world concerning PK has changed. Last year I was excited when PK had the puck. Not so much anymore.

For me its a chicken and the egg thing, Bwoar. Did the poor play start with MT’s reeling in of PK or is the reeling in a result of his poor play.

I’m a PK fan so take this with a grain of salt. I believe that PK is an unique talent that is a creator. His coach is trying to make him into a typical defenseman. PK is conflicted as if learning a new position. He’ll figure it out soon. There is a balance that both coach and player will find.

• bwoar says:

I have hope. I don’t dislike the guy himself, but his game is frustrating. You’re right about his coaching to a degree – all of them are trying to make PK into a defensive asset. A defender you can count on from the backend. I’m glad they are, since that’s the position and we need a PK committed to playing it the right way. You’re bang on about him being conflicted, that’s a good word to describe it. Hopefully he’ll soon gain the maturity to tone down the flashy-flash and make with the stalwart. He has the potential to absolutely control games, it’s tough to watch him do the opposite.

• Forum Dog says:

He needs to become more consistent on the defensive side of the puck, but in no way should they try and take the offensive flash out of his game. He is a burgeoning star precisely because he can hurt you in so many different ways. If the coaches try to prevent him from ragging the puck, they are locking down an important weapon. When he rushes the puck, it forces the opposition to adjust their defensive scheme on the fly, thereby creating confusion, open ice, and offensive chances.

Don’t try to change him. Don’t beat down his confidence. Just help him improve. Subban will never be (and should never try to be) Shea Weber. The coaches need him to play within himself, but if they suck the life and joy out of his game, he won’t become the player he can be. Which IMO is a potential HOFer.

• mdp2011 says:

He won the Norris last year playing the way the coaches wanted him to play. He was given a lot more defensive responsibilities last year at which he excelled at. This year for whatever reason, he just doesn’t seem to be listening.

• Mattyleg says:

Huh.
      A bit heavy-handed, but you raise some good points.

I read the other day that his dad had him moved to defence when he was younger to teach him backchecking responsibilities.

• PrimeTime says:

PK is still maturing. I don’t “cringe” but I am do groan when he makes one of errors due his style of play. He wants to be unique and standout in a team game. His heart is in the right place but his brain isn’t ahead of his skills. When he matures and learns what is always the best play for the team he will be one of the best….and he will mature.

• mdp2011 says:

As others have pointed out, you make some valid points. A little harsh, but I agree with your assessment for the most part. For whatever reason, he seems to have tuned out what the coaches are saying to him.

• Forum Dog says:

Couldn’t disagree more. PK played a solid 30 minutes, laid some huge hip checks, didn’t take any bad penalties (even the one he took was not worth calling), didn’t turn the puck over and didn’t over extend on the offensive side. Is he perfect? No. Is he done developing? No. But he is easily worth $7-8M in a long-term contract. The guy is 24 and is still about 3-4 years away from his prime. Stud.

• bwoar says:

He’s a scary player to have as the last man back in one-goal games. That’s what kills me. He no longer wants to be coached. And it gets papered over because he’s so gosh darn likeable. Huge hip checks, sure, but he needs to avoid taking himself out of the play when doing it.

Pacioretty did the same thing finishing a check in the O-zone last night when Vanek had the puck and I did a double-take. I wish these guys would stick to throwing the checks when it separates the man from the puck.

• Forum Dog says:

I agree completely that he runs around too much and takes himself out of plays, although those two hip checks definitely separated the TB player from the puck.

I would hate to see the coaching staff eliminate the aggressiveness from his game. IMO those attributes are an important part of what makes him special among NHL D-men. If he doesn’t rush the puck, he loses one of the things that makes him hard to defend. And if he doesn’t rush the puck and lose it sometimes, how is he going to learn to pick his spots?

To me, when you have a player that has all that upside, all that game-breaking ability, yeah, you try to help him harness it. But you also have to build a structure that supports his style of play. If you know that PK is gonna rush the puck, a forward needs to circle in behind in case there is a turnover. If you know that PK is gonna try and punish someone for taking the puck to the outside, make sure his d-partner and the first forward back are ready to slide down in case he misses. Part of coaching is building around your best players, not just demanding they conform to your system. Everyone needs to buy in, no doubt about it, but the best system is one that plays to team, and therefore player, strengths.

• bwoar says:

I agree on the coaching, there’s gotta be a give-and-take. Given PK’s point totals I don’t think he’s on the leash MT gets blasted for having him on, but I agree that the team needs to work on how best to react to the things that only PK is capable of doing.

That smells a bit like changing a team to accommodate a single player, but there’s room to go there – IF – the player can reciprocate and temper his instinctual skills with wise defense. I think it’s possible but it looks dicey in the moment.

• twilighthours says:

You’ve made some thinly-veiled assumptions about his character there, horse.

I’ll ignore your post and continue to enjoy Subban, the team, and last night’s win.

16. billylove says:

To win the series we may very well need another win in Tampa. No letup in game 2. There’s room for improvement. The bolts will be in desperation mode.

17. montreal ace says:

When the game was on the line, Price made every save he had to, how can you ask for more.

18. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

“Put Yourself in Their Shoes”

So, I actually had to listen to the first 8 minutes of the game on the radio, courtesy of SXM NHL … so I was given the Tampa Bay feed …

Right at the puck drop the homer’s homer announcing crew (they made Jack Edwards and his lead paint eating sidekick seem like the Masters on CBS) remark on how quickly the habs are all over the Tampa defence and force an icing … they keep up the theme as though they are surprised. Clearly they didn’t see it coming.

Best was listening to a recap a few minutes ago … sidekick audibly sobs oh no on each turnover leading to a habs goal … then screams at Killorn … classic stuff …

oh and you should hear the play by play man have an aneurism when TB scores and how mute, nay demurring he is when the Habs scored …

Now I’m not going all Pollyanna here but c’mon, look at the weird brakes and bounces and twisting shots for 3 o the 4 TB goals. This wasn’t on Price.

Habs in 6 or less …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

19. mdp2011 says:

If you read French, this is a great article on Stephene Waite coaching techniques.

20. D Man says:

I’ve been reading a lot lately about hockey I.Q. a relatively new term for me. I have to say I don’t like it much. I don’t believe you can raise an I.Q. It is what it is. Did Eller’s climb last night? Will it drop to-morrow? On the topic, if there such a thing I wonder what P.K.’s is?
    You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

21. DipsyDoodler says:

The Thursday Debate ®

Would you trade PK for McDonagh?

Would Sather?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

22. Mattyleg says:

The one thing I love most about this iteration of the Habs is their confidence.
    For the first time in how many years…? we actually seem to have confidence.
    Since that comeback against Ottawa, it seems like we just believe in ourselves, and can come back in any game. Down a goal? No problem we’ll just score a couple. Down two? Meh. A few goals will fix that.

I think it comes from everyone on the team having each other’s back, and really being a solid unit. That is far more improtant than individuals. Look at how bad Prusty felt after his fumble resulted in a goal. The rest of the team wanted to score one for him.

Confidence.
    Confidence.

• mdp2011 says:

Yup. There is no quit in this team. In seasons past, the Habs would have mailed in the rest of the game when being down by a goal or two.

• Coach K says:

Matty,

As much as I hate to admit it, I like many here, am no fan of MT with respect to young player development. However, I suspect that the coaching staff has a lot to do with instilling the confidence of which you speak and the “we have each others back” mentality that this team seems to play with.

So in fairness, I must give credit where its due. Good job MT & staff!

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

23. habs12 says:

Price, Subban, Prust, Markov and Pacioretty didn’t have great games, but we still won. Very encouraging to see Briere actually walk the walk and step up. Desharnais/vanek combo was huge last night and so was our transition game in general. Gorges was our best defenseman by far.

Defence needs to be better overall though — less turnovers and running and they need to get the puck out of the zone (forwards too ie: prust on killorn goal).

Price can only be better next game so no concerns there.

We will make them pay for their turnovers with our quick transition game.

24. 24AW says:

it’s only one game, their scoring % not good outshot their opponent 44-25 and had to go to overtime, some thought for the remaining games. was their Goaltending better than ours last night or do we have to get almost twice as many shots per game to beat them. Glad we won, but our defense has to tighten up or things will change in a hurry.

• PrimeTime says:

Did you watch the game?

25. DipsyDoodler says:

You think H I/O is hard on the coach?

Check this out:

Pep Guardiola took over an admittedly very good Bayern Munich Team and made them even better. They have won everything so far this season. But there are still some who criticize him and want him gone! After less than one season!

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Perhaps if Pep’s German were better he would be better received?

• DipsyDoodler says:

I read that he’s a bit too intense. Apparently he gets his assistant coach to phone up the players at night to make sure they are home in bed.

Similarly, I read that some Barcelona fans were protesting their loss to Real Madrid yesterday and being especially hard on Messi. That’s nuts.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

They had soccer on at the Saloon yesterday .My buddies and I were killing ourselves laughing at all the grown men rolling around the field holding various parts of their anatomies,writhing in pain and then magically springing to their feet. Its like outdoor WWF.

26. Kooch7800 says:

The crazy part about this habs team is every time Tampa tied up the game I didn’t feel like they were going to win and the the team just get pressing on.

I like the leadership of this team’s core

• Dunboyne Mike says:

At one point I started worrying about the impact a two-goal deficit might make. But worrying is part of it all.

• I was worried it was going to be one of those games where you dominated for long stretches but still ended up losing. Those are morale killers.

But this team is resilient, as we’ve seen all year. ;)

Defense wins championships

27. Black Horse says:

According to the majority of comments here, Price needs to be better next game?

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

28. krob1000 says:

I thought Glen Healy made some valid points last night about Lindback and his tendencies to be on his knees so much. If they can move the puck more they should be able to take advantage. After he showed that I watched and it was super noticeable…any time the puck is beind the net, or even in the corner he goes onto his knees and has no mobility. If they can get a pass out and go far side it should lead to some chances. The Hbas were doing a lot of 2 man forechecking and running that triangle type offense off of it and if they have the first forecheker go to the back door or out into the far side of the slot they could generate some tap ins it appears. I know it is easier said than done as the dman will likely have tried to staple our player to the glass but anytime it can be rolled off or avoided and someone can get out there it would really help. There must have been 8 instances of Habs winning the puck down low and attacking from Lindbakcs left and walking out from behind the goal line….if the forward who was in the other corner can bust it out into a position where he can be passed to? look out!!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

2014 Habs scoring 5 goals in a “close” game.
      WHo’d have thunk?
      Much of it down to some new mind-set they appear to have loaded, due perhaps to Therrien, with Vanek’s determination to generate goals every time he’s on the ice not exactly irrelevant.
      But Lindback was also a factor. Against Rask or Howard, those 5 aren’t all going in.
      Looking forward to Lindback having another go on Friday.

• B says:

Price does it too. Most of today’s big goalies are coached to go down on their knees more often than the head nurse.

–Go Habs Go!–

29. montreal ace says:

Hard work and determination, for a big team win in a pressure packed opening game, I loved the result.

30. jeffhabfan says:

A huge win last night from the Habs.It was a sloppy game from both teams but it is all about getting the W in the playoffs.Price does need to a bit better in game 2 tomorrow night.GO HABS GO.

31. L Elle says:

Reading some of the comments this morning can take the joy out of last night’s win. We won. Our team won. WooHoo. Right? Yes?

If Price wasn’t our goalie:

-We would have won all 82 games
    -Halak would have been our goalie, and we would have already won 4 Stanley Cups. #dynasty
    -We would have won last night’s game. ;)

• JohnBellyful says:

Geez, Louise — I mean, hell, Lou Elle, all I did was opine that Price could have been better positioned on Stamkos’ first goal. I gave him full credit for his performance in overtime.
      Sheesh, it’s comments like yours that take the joy out of offering observations.
      Harrumph!

• Cal says:

For some, a win just doesn’t count when it comes to the Habs. They so believe that MB and MT are so terrible they receive no credit but get all the blame.
      I you think MB isn’t a fan, too, that Marc-arena response to Weise’s OT goal shows us all we need to know.

• L Elle says:

Yes, exactly Cal. Save % mean nothing in the playoffs, it’s only about finding ways to win that counts, and that they did, even with opening night jitters.

Marc-arena was awesome. They all want to win, no doubt, and they will, in 4!

32. Hobie says:

Good result last night. Carey Price sure did leave the door open for all the doubters to take their shots at him though.

If the habs are going to do well this spring he’s going to need to squeeze the pads a little tighter than he did on a couple of the goals last night. The score really should have been 4-2 Montreal last night.

He didn’t let in a softie but he wasn’t exactly stellar. This is coming from his biggest supporter on HIO the past few years. Or one of them :-).

I know the 4th line won us the game. Briere, Bournival and Weise all played well. However, we seemed to be missing some physicality last night though. I’d like to see a few more Tampa players crunched into the boards and knocked on their rear ends.

I think it would be a good idea to take Bouillon out and put Tinordi or maybe Murray in. If Moen is healthy, it’s a tough call, but I’d probably give him the nod over Bournival. I’d be OK with a 4th line of Moen-Briere-Weise.

33. habs001 says:

Going into the series i felt most games would be close…probably decided by a third period or overtime goal…only the number of goals scored yesterday was a suprise… This type of series can end fast even though all games could go into o/t…If the Habs get the breaks they could be finished by tuesday …if the Boston/Detroit series goes long they may get up to 10 days off…not sure if that is good or bad…

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

Please tell me that everyone is on the Gio bandwagon now.. You can’t coach “clutch”

Must be resigned, important on the PK and a perfect 3rd line player.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

35. Mattyleg says:

The thing I love most about Bishop on the ice in full gear while still clearly injured:

How Lindback feels about that.
    And how the rest of the team feels about Lindback.

• Kooch7800 says:

Lindback did not have a bad game really. All the goals were pretty decent. If Bishop was in net I don’t think we would have won but I don’t think the loss was on Lindback.

Price wasn’t stellar last night but all the goals were on bad turnovers.

We will see a much lower scoring game in game 2 I would imagine

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not so sure.
        I thought he looked REALLY jittery; lots of uncontrolled rebounds, fumbling the puck, scrambling around…

I don’t think the loss was on him either, but I also don’t think he inspired confidence in the team, and team confidence builds from the net out.

• Kooch7800 says:

He was jittery there is no doubt Matty but the ones he looked iffy on didn’t really go in. You would think they would have played a different style if their goalie looked shaky. Habs were in their end all night

• Mattyleg says:

You’re right about the jittery ones not going in, and that he didn’t have much chance on the goals.

But I think that it might just be a question of time.

• habs001 says:

He made many saves because of his size not great technique

• JF says:

Agreed. He looked shaky, didn’t control rebounds. As you say, did not inspire confidence. I hope they put Bishop back before he’s ready.

• Maksimir says:

I think The Habs probably still would have won if Bishop was in net… they had a ton of scoring chances and its hard to say which ones each goalie would have stopped. The other thing is that they are very similar players – both big and cover the net, low on mobility. Bishop has better rebound control and maybe a little faster, but he would have been exhausted by OT with all the rubber Montreal put on net.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hard to tell really. Bishop is just one of those goalies who I don’t think gets enough credit. He is to Tampa what Price is to the habs.

I would bet a 2-1 game for game 2.

I really hope the habs can win game 2 if Bishop is out. that may help as the series gets longer

• mrhabby says:

Lindback looked really shakey. Handling the puck , going down to early, flopping around he is tall and gangley like. habs fired many shots from all angles and almost scored. He is still learning the position from what I can tell.

• Kooch7800 says:

he did look uncomfortable but I am talking more on the goals. All the goals were pretty decent goals. I just don’t think the loss was on him. His team let them play in their zone all night.

either way I hope Bishop is still out next game!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I try not to read body language because I’m not very good at it, don’t trust myself.

However, I couldn’t stop myself from thinking that Lindback looked almost broken after Pleks confined TB’s first lead of the game to a mere 19 seconds.

Anyone else see that or should I stick to my normal policy?!

36. boing007 says:

Brian Gionta=Captain Clutch. Bournival plays like a seasoned veteran.

Richard R

• Mattyleg says:

I was gutted when Bourni got his knock earlier this year, as I thought he was playing himself into some serious minutes.

Briere put that OT goal on Bournival, and getting a compliment like that from a vet like him is the real deal.

We’re going to have some fun watching him playing for us in the future. Sorry, Going Forward.

37. rhino514 says:

Briere, Gio, and most of all Eller, played amazing. I was expecting a good offensive game from maybe one, good case two, but not all three. Gionta and Briere have another gear for the playoffs. If Eller plays like that it gives the habs three threatening centres., plus Briere on the fourth line, an insane amount of depth.
    Well done Bergevin, he has put together a team that is very tough to play against in the playoffs.

You still need luck; last year against Ottawa, the guys went out and dominated Ottawa over one period more than I have seen any team dominate another in all my years of watching hockey…and they still lost the game.
    They came within an eyelash of losing this game; Gorges alone saved a couple of sure goals.
    Thank G&d luck is evening out; they won a game they deserved to win, and maybe they will win a game or two in the playoffs which they don´t necessarily deserve to win.
    Regarding Price, they weren´t bad goals; it was one of those games where the opposing team is incredibly opportunistic and gets few chances but they are good ones. That doesn´t happen often. Plekanec is a G%dsend.
    I´ll say it again; if Briere and Eller play like that, the only way the team can lose is if a team like the bruins puts a few of our players in the hospital or gets them playing hurt; the refs would have to put the whistles away for that to happen, which is possible in the playoffs.

38. mdp2011 says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 29s
    Throwing pucks at Ben Bishop. No shots. Only moving his left arm. #tvasports pic.twitter.com/7EwmPGS1oZ

39. krob1000 says:

So is it the Marcarena? the boot scootin’ Bergie? genman style? is there a consensus on what to call his dance?

One big letdown last night is that Francis Bouillon didn’t score in OT. Therrien clearly didn’t give him enough ice time.

41. frontenac1 says:

Habs finally have the depth to compete in any style of game. Speed and finess or Speed and physical. I would expect to see Murray,White, Tinordi and maybe even Parros and Moen in the next rounds.

42. Chrisadiens says:

Uh oh….

“@renlavoietva: #lightning Ben Bishop on the ice in full gears. #tvasports

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

43. SmartDog says:

For those who STILL argue that the coaches relationship with players doesn’t matter consider these after game comments from your overtime scorer…

“We had about two or three similar chances just before and the last shift I kind of backed off on a play. I didn’t want to get caught,” Weise said. “I came to the bench and (assistant coach Gerard Gallant) said, ‘Don’t be afraid to jump in on that one,’ and that’s what I did.

What if Gallant didn’t really like the guy? Or was angry because of something stupid he did earlier in the game? Then that comment doesn’t happen and that goal is not scored.

This kind of thing happens over and over and over. A coach who communicates, talks to a player, shows them how to be better, how to believe in themselves… creates winners.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

But I thought Turk does hate Weise and still told him that? Now I am really confused.

• SmartDog says:

That’s okay. We’re used to you like that.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

DId you see the pregame special on CBC with Cooper from Tbay? Was impossible not to like him, and it appears all his players would really like him. I just don’t think Therrien comes off in the media as likeable. But I think he has found a way to communicate with his players through assistants etc… and he doesn’t get enough respect for that.

I can’t see how any coach lasts in the NHL if his dislike of a player prevents him from giving solid hockey advice. Scotty Bowman and the players couldn’t stand each other, but he still gave them good advice.

This is the pros, it isn’t about having bff’s. It may help, but being too friendly with the players can come back and bite you as well.

• SmartDog says:

It’s not that I think coaching a popularity contest. I totally agree with you on that. Bowman apparently was not a well liked guy. Respected 100%, liked, not that much.

But I think coaches can make a real difference in either direction. Cooper has his team playing over their ability because of the atmosphere he’s created – the culture. And some great teams on paper don’t get it done because the coaching connection is not good. So let’s not go to extremes. I’m not saying Therrien needs to be a nicer guy. I’m just saying that communication is really important. It’s partly why Gallant is there I’m sure. The head coach isn’t the only voice. Win or lose it’s not all on one guy. But in business I’ve learned that business is always part personal. And I think it’s the same in sports…. the small things can turn into big things.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Paz says:

I agree about the communication, and I think Gallant would be a terrific coach.

Gallant was a great head coach in Junior.

• Paz says:

People who don’t believe a coach’s confidence in a player can impact the player’s performance have never played at an elite level.

They simply do not understand the impact a coach can have on his players.

Period.

44. careysubban3176 says:

I suspect a let down from the Habs in game 2 so Price better be ready which there’s no doubt in my mind he will be. If the Habs can pull of a win in game 2, Habs win it in 4 or 5

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Kooch7800 says:

I really bet Price plays much better in game 2. He will probably let in max one goal. Depends if emelin and weaver play similar horrible d like they did last night. Emelin wasn’t phyiscal and was out of position a lot. I wouldn’t mind seeing Murray in next game for the cube. I didn’t like the after the whistle BS and plus it is time to start hitting some guys.

I am also hoping for a rebound game from subban who also stunk.

I have to give credit to Eller, Bourque and Gionta and the entire fourth line they all played well.

45. chesterfiled says:

Price’s game seems different to me this year. Even the 4 shots that went past him did not remind me of past play… all 4 looked like great setups, minus the Stamkos break away. In OT, Price had that body language that calmed my eyes when playing shots, like a big cat grabbing/playing his puck. The OT goal was nothing like game 1 OT goal in 2008 against phlyers.

46. shiram says:

How about the leaders on this team uh?
    Plekanec with the first goal answer was a morale drainer and crowd silencer.
    Gio’s shorthanded was another tough blow for the home team.

Gotta love the compete level on these two!
    And though it was not his best game, Markov was very engaged and even physical.

edit : Brière too, faithful to his playoff reputation.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, really looked like a case of the vets saying “Okay, step aside youngfellas, this is our season now. Watch and learn.”

• Luke says:

…and then Bournival saying: “No. I’m in, too.”

(Basically, I’m saying that I thought Bournival played a heck of a game).

• shiram says:

Yup, he plays awesome.
          Funny that O’byrne might win the Gagarin Cup this year too.

Bournival is going to be (already is) a wonderful Hab. This guy has Mike Keane written all over him, maybe higher end skill.

• Luke says:

Yah. Big fan. Poor man’s Bergeron. Captained an underdog (IIRC) team to the Memorial Cup. Playoffs seem to be his kind of thing…

O’Byrne… Always liked him, Shiram. Obviously I’m very happy with the trade, now. Wasn’t upset about it at the time, either. Here’s hoping he gets his Gagarin Cup.

• shiram says:

I want HC Lev Praha to win, mostly so the Czech Republic team wins the KHL Cup.
            I had nothing against the big lug either, just funny how it’s turning out.

• frontenac1 says:

Yes, veteran leadership and Goaltending is what carries you deep and amigos, I’ve said it a couple of times,Habs are going Deep this year. Enjoy the ride. Saludos!

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think we have an absolute perfect mix of veterans (Gio, Briere, Markov etc.), followed by guys in their mid to late 20s (Patch, Price, Gorges etc.) and young kids (Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival etc.).

• Lafleurguy says:

TBay up 2-1, and going on the powerplay (which gets me nervous). Scoring would have brought out the leftwing lock/deadbolt and the game would be done at that point more than likely. But instead, Flyin’ Brian superbly pots the shortie and the split second he had to get his stick on the rebound was the best play of the game (even better than the quick-pitch Stamkos threw at Price).

• rhino514 says:

Agree, I can´t believe how clutch Gionta and Plekanec are and we are so lucky to have them. Plekanec´s fast goal to answer the Bolts changed the whole mood of the game.
      And then a shortie by Gio!
      What I like about the guys is it really does look like they are never, never going to quit, even if they fall behind.
      Plus winning a game in overtime will give them tons of confidence the next time they get into OT; the more games you win like that, the more confidence it breeds.

47. Lafleurguy says:

Here’s one, the best post during the Liveblog was the one Brewer hit late in the third (this quip is for Front so we can be the long and short of humour dudes this am).

48. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Playoff Hockey at its best last night. I thought it was Vanek”s and Danny Boy”s best game game of the season. Both were engaged all over the ice playing with grit.Price looked rusty but got his groove in OT. Cube and Gorges showed their veteran presence. We out shot them 44-25. Lindback ain’t so bad. Emelin has to get physical again. You just can’t let Stamkos run free. Prust had his first game in a month, so watch him get better now. Habs in Six. Saludos!

Game 1 on the road, playing a higher seed team, I can’t believe we didn’t win 6-0.

Seriously, game 1 of the playoffs is a crapshoot. There is nerves, pressure etc…

Price will play better, the defence will be shown some poor decisions, forwards will need to backcheck better. But our team did play a very aggressive game, forcing TBay into many turnovers. Credit should be given to that, just as so many here are quick to lay blame on the negatives.

So lets hope the team makes some corrections, but at the same time don’t take away from the aggressiveness which allowed them to control the pace of the game.

The Habs didn’t finish 1st in the division or in the top 5 in the entire league, therefore they aren’t expected to beat a 2nd seed by 4goals.

Huge win, lets hope momentum carries forward and perhaps we can win game 2. Don’t care if it is by 1 goal or 3, just want the win.

In the words of Al Davis, Just Win Baby!

• Luke says:

Yuh-huh.

And there is a good chance that game #3 will be poopy as well.

Home debut, nerves, extra pressure, A bearded Leggo in attendance, I believe, trying his best to wreck things.

Lots could go wrong.

Lets just hope the crew tightens up the play a bit. I’d be surprised if we see a team score 5 in any of the coming games. I’d wager we are more likely to see them combine for 5.

• habsfan0 says:

I prefer Vince Lombardi’s saying:
      “Winning isn’t everything.
      It’s the only thing.”

• Mattyleg says:

I agree.

• Cal says:

This game was a true taste of why the playoffs are so much more intense than the regular season. Every play, every gaffe, is rife with ridiculous consequences.
      Habs did what they had to do against another nervous Nelly team. Another win on Friday would help set the table for a possible run. Playoff hockey on a Friday night will be a blast!

50. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Perhaps I missed it in the comments but I flat out disagree with blaming Weaver for the pinch. The error was 100 percent on Gallagher.

All game, the Habs defence were holding the opposition blueline with support from the winger behind. Weaver looks as Gallagherr forgets his responsibility and stops skating for a split second … in a heartbeat the 2 on 1 starts and a seeing eye pass leads to an empty net goal.

Weaver played a very solid game and would have had more ice time had their been more PK time.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• krob1000 says:

7 mins left with a one goal lead in the palyoffs and on the road…horrible decision and he knew it.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Can’t disagree with what you saw, yet with less than 7 minutes to play in the 3rd period and leading 4-3, that’s not the right play to make regardless of what went on during the rest of the game.

That said, that 1 play doesn’t take away from a pretty solid night by Weaver.
      A great assist to get the Gionta shorthanded goal going, + 2 for the night, 4 blocked shots, 1st Unit PK minutes, and almost 19 minutes played.

• punkster says:

Ya well…everything you know is wrong.

Release the Subbang!!!

51. Lafleurguy says:

I don’t know if posters are allowed or if it’s in good taste to be repetitive, but anyway, shout-out to Captain Brian.

52. Captain aHab says:

I mean really who wants to see crappy trap hockey when you can see it played like that?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Fansincebirth says:

Or goon (Bruin) style hockey. Give me wide open, end to end clean hockey any day of the week over what Buttman is trying to sell as hockey

53. Strummer says:

The O/T goal doesn’t get scored with Parros and White on your 4th line.
    Credit is due to the coaching staff for assembling the lines and rolling them as such.

Wow and talk about secondary scoring and terciary scoring and the 4th kind of scoring whatever the eff it’s called.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

54. Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps most posters would agree that Carey plays best when he gets a good amount of shots against.
    It seems to get him in the game.

This year, the Habs gave up an average of 31 shots per game – a little over 10 per period.
    Last night, Tampa only had 4-7-5 shots on goal in each period before the 9 in OT.

The only result that really matters is the “W”

• Lafleurguy says:

Never bought into that flimsy logic, Merrytimes. If 4 goals go in on 14 shots, strong chance more will follow with 44 shots. The main thing I’ve seen happen over the past 46 years is the goalie gets pulled.

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, this is one where stats don’t tell all the story.
        Lots of shots doesn’t always mean lots of chances, as whatsisname the other coach pointed out.
        Like in our series against Pitts and Wash years ago, we were vastly outshot, but the actual ‘chances’ were much closer.
        Price didn’t see a lot of rubber, but the goals scored on him were top quality chances.

• Maritime Ronn says:

They were all high quality chances.
          Trouble is, Habs fans are spoiled because Price is usually unbelievable and makes a few of those saves almost routinely

I think there is an element of people here who simply love to say Price Sucks. It must roll off the tongue nicer for some than others. I am sure he wishes he could have a couple shots back, but the beauty is the team picked him up.

• Lafleurguy says:

But Matty, man-’o-man was the ice tilted in those Halak-assisted wins. Best game for the Habs’ offense in that playoffs-set was the 6-5 loss when one of our Belarussian merrymen scored a great hat-trick.

• adamkennelly says:

I agree – most of them were high quality chances – but not all. He got beaten by at least 1 bad one.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Guy
        If we go by your logic, that means Carey will give up 16 goals for ever 100 shots faced.
        I’d take a wager that doesn’t happen.
        You in?
        :-)

• Mattyleg says:

I saw that.
      Basically what they are saying is that as soon as douchebags realize that the guys with beards are getting the broads, and grow them themselves, beards go out of fashion.

It’s like anything. As soon as something becomes popular enough to attract the lowest common denominator, it becomes unpopular.

Like HI/O. As soon as there are a ton of 14-year-old posters on here during a game, HI/O becomes unpopular.

• Luke says:

I was the lowest common denominator before it was cool.

• Mattyleg says:

It was never cool.
          Trust me, I’ve been there all my life.
          BTW, do you know where I can get another pair of acid-washed jeans? The butt is wearing out on my current pair.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Painter pants man, jeez get with it!

• Al Burtlap says:

Jean overalls i hope…

• Luke says:

Oh my, I had forgotten about those. I actually had to google them.

Now I need to google where I can buy them.

• Mattyleg says:

Yes Al, that is correct.
            And Luke, pass me on the link when you find it!
            What the images don’t tell you is that they always started to go yellowish after a few washes.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Al Burtlap:

I had painter-pants overalls. The epitome of style in a single garment. AND. I wore them with Converse, three decades before they were trendy (and my kids ban*ed me from buying a pair for old-times’ sake).

With the ankles tucked into the socks.

Burly? Matty? Luke? Al? Beat that.

• Al Burtlap says:

Nice work gents…I was more of a Robin Williams wannabe back in the Mork & Mindy days – minus the drugs (i was too young then!).

One Red and One Yellow converse shoes…acid wash jeans…random t-shirt…and of course, rainbow suspenders.

good times! And Mike – i totally thought of you last night as I put my daughter to bed and pulled off the very difficult ninja version of the multi-fist pump, old man dance with silent screaming after the OT winner.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HAAAA!
            You are my BROTHER!
            Silent screaming, silent fist-pumps!!
            Friday I’m going to try for a silent Marc-arena!

55. mdp2011 says:

Hopefully it will be demoralizing for Tampa to wake up this morning realizing that you put 4 behind Price and still lost the game.

56. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
    G’morning.

Great win last night from our boys in a barn-burner.
    Lots of tweaking to systems and plays to be done today and tomorrow, but that is to be expected in any playoff series.

Price wasn’t nearly as bad as people are making him out to be, but it’s what I expected; it’s easiest to blame the goalie because he’s the last one back. All shots can be stopped. No goalie can stop all shots always.

The only goal he had a chance on was Stamkos’s shot, but that was a beauty, so it’s kudos to him in my mind rather than on Price. There are two teams out there, and as badly as I think Lindback played, he didn’t have a chance on Plekanec’s shot – but I’m sure that there are plenty of TB fans saying that was an easy one.

Their goals came from our turnovers. Just something to analyse and tigthen up.

Got more to say. Watch this space!

57. Strummer says:

Vanek had a great game game but he leaves you with wanting so much more. This guy is scary-talented.
    All the chances his line had should have generated more offence.
    Of course if Max doesn’t hit the post…

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I just realized what MB dance reminded me of. It looked like how the Jersey Shore guys act before they start “fist-pumping”…LOL…and MB has the hair to match!

59. Strummer says:

How did Tampa end up with 101 points?
    It’s true what they say about goaltending covering up a lot of your shortcomings.
    However this game was a reversal in terms of games against the Habs this past season when SOG and possesion stats favoured the Bolts in all situations.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

60. mrhabby says:

Price looked a little off but maybe it was those turnovers that did it. Have to give kudo’s to Stamkos what a shot. I think Price played better as the game moved on.

After watching Vanek on and off his career he is just excellent and is a constant threat at any time. Creative, great shot , soft hands and tough to move makes the others on his line so much better.
    Pleks was all over the ice and should have buried a few more he played a great game.

Here is hoping the team plays better defensively.

• krob1000 says:

I think he should have stopped that myself…I think perhaps he was surprised at the velocity of it bolstered by the speed Stamkos was flyting at …but from that angle…there should be no opening there..you can bet he would like to have that one back.

61. Lafrich says:

How could anyone here say that Price was good last night?!?!? Even in the OT his saves looked totally jittery, and his butt was saved by the D on a few rebounds.

1. The first goal (the trickler through the five-hole) could have been stopped, but it was a tough bang-bang play from the slot, so he is somewhat forgiven.
    2. Stamkos’ shot? Really? A wrister from a bad angle? Come on Carey!!! Shades of Ottawa circa 2013\
    3. The spinaround shot that went short side. SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOPPED!
    4. The 2 on 1. Although I feel like he played that one poorly too, I can’t fault him.

After the Stamkos goal, I was nervous that every shot would go in. He has got to step it up.

• mrhabby says:

Price did not have much of a chance on a few goals. did you see any bad pinches and bad defensive coverage like I did.

• Strummer says:

Price needs to play better.
      I agree with your analysis of the goals scored on him.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• mdp2011 says:

I agree Price overplayed some shots and was out of position a lot, but he will be better. Stephen Waite will work with him today and he will be fine.

• Maritime Ronn says:

1993
      Opening series against Quebec.
      The great Patrick in nets.
      Habs win a game 5-4 in OT.
      The word “WIN” is what counts in the playoffs.
      No one remembers details.

• krob1000 says:

The good news is he got steadily better as the game went on. The first two were shaky, the 2 on 1 he had no chance on and the turn around slapper on the turnover happened so fast…noone would be reacting in that situation…the shot was too unexpected, too hard and too unpredicatble..being a turn around slapper even the shooter had no idea where he was shooting it. Carey just did what any goalie does in that situation….took as much net up as possible…but it went in. In OT I have to completely disagree with you….I thought he only looked “jittery” on that first chance the pass from the corner, where it him and he fumbled it and then covered it. After that I thought he setlled in very nicely and never really looked threatened again despite a few quality chances.

• twilighthours says:

Hey krob, how’s the crash course in advanced stats going?

• krob1000 says:

Convoluded…so many stats I was looking at but soooo many of them are useless. I cruised around those sites for a couple of hours in the afternoon but they are just a fancy way of sorting out events that are already noted. I still think my eyes are the best gauge for me regarding the Habs but I guess when looking at players around the league I don’t see as much they do provide some insight. It was easy to find flaws with the Habs stats from knowing them so well but there appears to be some use if you are using them to look at other players…I can see where it would help scouting a player. Don’t get me wrong you would absolutely have to look at the player and watch them…but it could allow you to target someone. On the other hand….if you know you have an outlier whose paly contradicts what the numbers tell you (ie. Emmelin and Weaver last night) then maybe you use them to your advantage. The stats will never be as useful as baseball…..but it is at least interesting. The people who think they are the be all end all and use them to evaluate a player without consideration of other facts IMO are doing so with no real basis….the stats I found were not detalied enough to really say much. Interesting and sites I bookmarked and will refer to….but again…I wathced that Sloan conference again this year and after scouring those sites…fun to have more detail and a place that has all that…but much, much prefer waht I see.

• How could anyone here say that Price was good last night?

Funny I don’t see anyone saying he was good. He had an off night , and everyone knows it.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Luke says:

That Stamkos shot… your #2 ‘weak wrister’ … was a thing of beauty.

If you can find fault with that goal, I suppose 500 or so of Guy Lafleur’s goals were more to do with bad goaltending than a great goal scorer…

• hehe :lol: One of the best shooters on the planet placed a puck in the best spot low blocker above the pad at 90 MPH.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Chris says:

Most of Lafleur’s goals would not go in with today’s NHL goaltenders.

Yes, it was a great shot by the best shooter in the world. But goalies stop that shot 99 times out of a hundred. Price had the wrong angle. That was all there was to that. If he was where he should have been, Stamkos can’t score from there.

I don’t particularly blame Price for that one. It happens, although the goalies always feel a bit sheepish when it does. I was more worried that he was back to sliding out of position in the net on a lot of his saves.

I could live with all of the goals last night…I don’t think he had much chance on them. I just wasn’t ecstatic about his positioning or his angles. I won’t be worried until it happens two games in a row, though. Everybody is wound up tight in the first game of the playoffs.

• Luke says:

I dunno… sometimes this is all that needs to be said:

Yes, it was a great shot by the best shooter in the world.

Can’t we just be happy giving credit to the shooter instead of looking to blame someone instead?

It’s something that’s always bothered me. It marginalizes Stamkos’ contribution to the goal.

If Price’s angle was perfect, no goal.
          If Stamkos’ shot WASN’T perfect, no goal.

Kinda seems like different sides of the same coin.

Couldn’t agree more, Stamkos is by far the most intimidating shooter in the world, and perhaps deserves more credit than, “Price should of had that”. But alas what do we know Luke, Maybe Stamkos can win some scoring type trophies in order to prove he is indeed a pretty good shooter.

• Chris says:

No. Price didn’t have to be perfect on his angle. He just had to be in position. It is a relatively easy save for NHL goaltenders 99% of the time. He just missed it.

Like I said, it happens to every goalie in the league, from the best (Price, Lundqvist, Rask, Quick) to the worst.

62. habs-fan-84 says:

My thoughts:

-Tampa looked like a young team with little playoff experience. I don’t expect that to last long

-Our D did not look good last night. I expect Markov and Weaver to make better decisions going forward. With regards to Subban; all bets are off

-Prust looked like a guy who hasn’t played in a while. Again, I don’t expect that to last long.

-Price didn’t do much to silence his playoff critics. That said, he didn’t have a chance on a couple of those goals. Also, it must be difficult to get into a rhythm when you face hardly any shots. I expect Price to be better in game 2

-Montreal offense looked fantastic last night. As advertised, Briere was a stud from the drop of the puck to the very end

In closing, I think last night was a bit of an anomalous result, probably because of game 1 nerves. I don’t expect Tampa or Montreal’s D to play that bad going forward. Definitely expect a tighter series. Nevertheless, a great win! Looking forward to tomorrow!

GO HABS GO

Also, a big shout out to Eller and Bournival. They were terrific last night. Hopefully the Habs lock up Eller with a bargain contract this summer.

63. OptimystiCH says:

Special thanks to Mr Miles Weise.
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for sharing your pride and joy with us.

Repent ye doubters. Our time is near.

• Cambridge Ron says:

Although they didn’t have many shots, I didn’t think Price had a chance on any of their goals, and he stole the game in overtime. In Price’s words, “chill” it’s only game 1 of the playoffs !

Et le but !!!

64. Mondou6 says:

Awesome to win Game 1, it takes a ton of pressure off. It would have been a disaster to dominate like that and lose the game.

Price was god awful, as bad as we’ve seen him in playoffs past, and eerily similar to his entire 2012-13 season. This is concerning because of how stellar he was this regular season (and Olympics). Now in Game 1, he’s back to same old Price again? I have a hard time believing that “he’ll be fine” until I see it. And if he plays like this going forward, we’ll be golfing very soon.

Lindeback was even worse, I can’t imagine Tampa starting him in Game 2.

I was impressed with Vanek, he seemed to be everywhere all night. The last time he was in the playoffs was 3 years ago, and he looked hungry last night. Makes me excited to see what he’ll do for us.

Lastly, Bergevin’s dance was hilarious! In analyzing it, it looks like it was partially inspired by “Gangham Style”, and the rest, I have no idea! :)

• Hey congrats we gave you an award last night.

Mondou6 April 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm Is Tokarski dressed?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Maritime Ronn says:

Price god awful?
      How so?
      Which goal?
      In OT?

• Forget him Ron, I only posted on quote, he had at least 4 others about Price….clearly a hater.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• GoaliesRus says:

Price looked awful. As the “world’s number 1″ goalie, that long stamkos shot should never have gone in. His angles were off.

There was a two on one, he was totally out of position. Lucky no goal. He was looking behind him on saves. I noticed that he stopped trusting his defence. He did a lot of sprawling. Carey Price is not Hasek.
        Not sure what happens to him mentally during the playoffs. But right now, he doesn’t look super comfortable. “He’ll get better” We said that last year against Ottawa. I am NOT a hater…I want to have much more confidence in him.

• habsfan0 says:

As Carey Price would say: Chill out. He’ll be better.
      As far as Bergevin goes, his dance reminded me of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.
      Vanek is playing for his next long term contract, hopefully with the Habs. While there are those who would say that Vanek signing with Minnesota is almost an inevitability,a deep playoff run by the Habs in hockey mad Montreal might be enough to change his mind,as I’m fairly certain MB will offer him a contract befitting what he brings to the team.

• Ian Cobb says:

Mondou 6, Its Easter! and your saying God is awful. You had better go to confession my friend!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

This reminds me of a joke by that noted Irish jokester Samuel Beckett, which I take the liberty to reproduce here:

Let me tell it again.
        (Raconteur’s voice.)
        An Englishman, needing a pair of striped trousers in a hurry for the New Year festivities, goes to his tailor who takes his measurements.
        (Tailor’s voice.)
        “That’s the lot, come back in four days, I’ll have it ready.” Good. Four days later.
        (Tailor’s voice.)
        “So sorry, come back in a week, I’ve made a mess of the seat.” Good, that’s all right, a neat seat can be very ticklish. A week later.
        (Tailor’s voice.)
        “Frightfully sorry, come back in ten days, I’ve made a hash of the crotch.” Good, can’t be helped, a snug crotch is always a teaser. Ten days later.
        (Tailor’s voice.)
        “Dreadfully sorry, come back in a fortnight, I’ve made a balls of the fly.” Good, at a pinch, a smart fly is a stiff proposition.
        (Pause. Normal voice.)
        I never told it worse.
        (Pause. Gloomy.)
        I tell this story worse and worse.
        (Pause. Raconteur’s voice.)
        Well, to make it short, the bluebells are blowing and he ballockses the buttonholes.
        (Customer’s voice.)
        “God damn you to hell, Sir, no, it’s indecent, there are limits! In six days, do you hear me, six days, God made the world. Yes Sir, no less Sir, the WORLD! And you are not bloody well capable of making me a pair of trousers in three months!”
        (Tailor’s voice, scandalized.)
        “But my dear Sir, my dear Sir, look—
        (disdainful gesture, disgustedly)
        —at the world—
        (Pause.)
        and look—
        (loving gesture, proudly)
        —at my TROUSERS!”

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Mondou – I think you are only focussing on the goals that went in. Both Price and Lindback let in stoppable shots.

But both also made a lot of very good saves.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

65. jamman says:

Plekanec can’t bury!!! Stole one road game hallelujah!

66. Fansincebirth says:

Is it possible to get everyone’s honest opinion about Vanek? I watch him and he seems completely disinterested at times, just going through the motions, bad passes, lazy.

Then he makes an amazing pass, a hit, a backcheck and I can see the reason MB picked him up. I know DD’s game has been elevated and Max is benefiting from Vanek but……

Let the flame wars begin!

Both teams gave the puck away many times. PK is scary out there now. Last man back in our end, with the puck, and he goes into one of his dances!
    No wonder Therrien goes nuts on him sometimes. When he goes on full PK, there is no one better! What to do!

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Ian
      He HAS to go back to simple plays and start there.
      Move the puck up and fast…and remember the hot potato drill.
      And sometimes, the boards and glass are a Dman’s best friend.
      Want to get creative? Leave that for the PP.

• Mustang says:

Well said Ian. I love PK and all that he can do but sometimes I just want to see him control the puck and move it out of the zone. Leave the flash for later, we don’t need to see the fancy footwork and puck handling everytime he’s on the ice. Great talent, he can do things that almost no one else can but he just doesn’t seem to know when to pick his spots.

68. HankHardball says:

You’re never going to have every player play their best game on the same night. Why is it some media types have so much trouble realizing that?

Winning isn’t just a good thing, it’s the only thing.

69. Maritime Ronn says:

If you think regular Habs fans jumped when Weise scored the OT winner, can you imagine how his Dad/family felt?

February 7/2014
    Headline: Dream Comes True For Father Of New Hab Weise

MONTREAL — For the past several years at the company where he works in Winnipeg, Miles Weise has been using a Canadiens coffee cup.
    He’s a lifelong Habs fan.

The 53-year-old warehouse manager received a call at work on Monday from his wife, Barb, who said their son had been traded to Montreal. He thought at first that she was pulling his leg.

When he spoke to his son, Weise said he told him: “My little boy is going to play on the Montreal Canadiens.”

“And he said ‘dreams do come true, eh Dad?’ ’’ Miles Weise recounted in a phone interview on Thursday.

“I’m just on top of the world,” Weise told The Gazette

As a Canadiens fan growing up in Winnipeg, Miles Weise would wear his Habs jersey playing road hockey. He doesn’t speak French, but years ago would watch and listen to the team’s games in French. His favourite Canadiens player was Guy Lafleur.

“I almost had tears in my eyes,” Weise said of seeing his son in a Canadiens jersey.
    ———————–
    No doubt there were more tears last night mixed in with jubilation.

HOCKEY until June this year!
    And then our SUMMIT Parade!

71. Chris says:

Montreal’s forwards were definitely the heroes of the game, as they were pressuring the Tampa Bay defence into numerous mistakes.

But I’m not going to get giddy yet. Tampa Bay, a team with 8 roster players making their playoff debut last night, played like a team with 1/3 of their roster making their playoff debut. Bad passing, inaccurate shooting, and bad decisions. I think you will see a much better and a much more disciplined game from them in Game 2, as their rookie playoff performers will probably have gotten over the butterflies.

Montreal played a good, not a great road game last night. The forwards were great, but the defence corps was not great. They gave up too many solid chances, something you can’t really afford to do in the playoffs if you want to go deep.

It was great to get a win in Tampa early, but Montreal has done this type of thing many times in the past. The key now is to make their own adjustments and that they react well to the adjustments that we all know Tampa Bay is going to make. I really liked the heavy forechecking that Montreal was employing last night, as that maximizes their speed advantage. I have been a little puzzled why they have refrained from doing that more throughout the season.

• Lafleurguy says:

Based on how well they performed in the five regular season games, it was shocking to see how hesitant the Lightning defence was. Hedman was OK, Gudas was one of their best (and he shouldn’t be), but Brewer and the others couldn’t clear the puck time and again.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“The forwards were great, but the defence corps was not great. ”

I believe those two are connected.

Our D are not particularly big or mobile. So our usual system is for the forwards to play a very tight defensive game and help them out. This means the forwards can’t be pressuring the opposition as much.

By letting our forwards loose it meant we had the puck most of the night, but it also left holes at the back.

I think you should get a little giddy. I would be very surprised if we didn’t cruise through this series.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

I honestly don’t think the Habs are good enough to cruise through any series. They’ve got to play their best, and get great goaltending from Price. That is the formula that got them where they are.

Montreal is a good, but not great, team. They can knock out any other team in a 7 game series, but they can also lay an egg and get trounced. Tampa Bay was horrible last night. I think a lot of the analysis this morning is using their play as the standard of what that team can accomplish. This is dangerous because Tampa played far below their usual level. The loss of Palat was particularly harsh, as he is a very important player for them.

72. Black Horse says:

I watched the game on RDS last night. The wife got home for OT & asked me why I wasn’t watching it on CBC. I gave here the look & she knew my answer!

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

• Strummer says:

I don’t have a problem with HNIC.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I dont either. They are anti-Habs biased, but it just adds to the fun. And I enjoy Ron and Don. Don’t care how crazy he is, it’s hilarious.

73. Lafleurguy says:

Caught a break when Palat was injured. Captain Brian was spectacular in my eyes invvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv, in scoring that shortie (sorry, was typing and brushing away breadcrumbs at the same time). What concentration, Lightning reflexes, and hand-eye coordination. (and Gionta had some of these attributes too)