About last night …

CelebrateTB

Let’s be honest.
Were it not for the heroics of Carey Price, your Montreal Canadiens would not be in the playoffs.
But as we say in this red-hot – and, this week, unseasonably cold – hockey city, what have you done for me lately?
Heading into Game 1 in Tampa Bay, the Canadiens goaltender was 4-14 in his previous 18 postseason starts.
Price’s overall playoff record was 9-17. His save percentage: a very ordinary .905.
But .905 is better than .750.
Through 60 minutes against the Lightning, Price was beaten four times on 16 shots.
There were turnovers to create some Tampa Bay chances.
And Steven Stamkos scores against many NHL goaltenders.
But still …

The ghosts of playoffs past are never far from fans’ memories in Montreal.

Through three periods, Carey Price in 2014 was not Jaroslav Halak in 2010. That role was played by Anders Lindback, as the Tampa Bay goaltender faced a barrage of 35 shots.

And when the Canadiens blew two third-period leads, fans had to asking some questions about their goaltender.

Price answered them in OT. He made nine saves, including a game-saver on Alex Killorn, the kid who stayed at Harvard after Louis Leblanc, his friend from from Montreal’s West Island suburbs, left school to go off and ruin his career.

Killorn and Stamkos were the best players in blue jerseys on a night dominated by the guys in white.

In his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien cited “contributions from everyone”, and the stat sheet bears out the coach’s analysis:

• No fewer than 11 Canadiens skaters made the scoresheet.

• The Thomas Vanek-David Desharnais-MaxPacioretty combined for 17 shots on goal. Vanek had seven, plus two that were blocked. Desharnais, shooting more often than is his wont, had six.

• Josh Gorges played 28 minutes and, uncharacteristically, didn’t block a shot. But his defensive alertness prevented a least two Lightning goals.

• Daniel Brière picked up an assist to run his playoff point total to 110 in 109 games. Brière added playmaking punch to a fourth line that spent long stretches in the Tampa Bay end, thanks to the speed and on-the-puck tenacity of Michäel Bournival (playing the first postseason game of what I hope will be a long Canadiens career) and Dale Weise, the trade acquisition whose OT goal had Marc Bergevin hugging everyone in the Canadiens suite at the St. Pete Forum.

• Lars Eller, back from a bout with the flu, had a goal and an assist, as did his linemate, Brian Gionta. Eller added four hits to match the line’s LW, Rene Bourque.

• Tomas Plekanec scored the first-period goal that deflated the home crowd 19 seconds after Nikita Kucherov opened the scoring. Pleks won 16 of 29 faceoffs and played 2:04 of the four minutes the Canadiens were shorthanded.

Heading into Game 2 on Friday, Therrien enjoys the luxury of deploying three lines that excelled in Game 1 – and one that was OK. Playing with Pleks and the customarily energetic Brendan Gallagher, Brandon Prust struggled a bit in his first game since March 18. He’ll be better as the series progresses.

If Tampa bay isn’t better on Friday, the series could end quickly. One need look no further than last spring’s Montreal-Ottawa series for evidence that losing the first game on home ice is not an ideal start.

With the exception of Victor Hedman and Radko Gudas, who had nine hits, Tampa Bay’s D struggled against the Canadiens’ speed and peristence. Mattthew Carle had three giveaways, Sami Salo two. Eric Brewer had difficulty with the Canadiens’ speed and was beaten badly by Brière on Weise’s winner..

Not that the Canadiens shone on the back end. Mike Weaver had a rough night, as did Alexei Emelin. P.K. Subban looked shakey early on but improved as the game progressed; he still hangs on to the puck too long. Andrei Markov played 33:41, high on both teams, but had no SoG and was minus-2.

I thought this game was won by the forwards, who worked hard to keep the puck in the Lightning zone for long stretches and fired 44 shots at Lindback.

Most of the offensive pressure, however, came at even strength. The Canadiens’ power play continues to fire blanks: No goals since March 25 – nine games and counting.

But the PP’s ineptitude was a minor blemish on a solid effort.

“We kept our composure,” Therrien said. “We stuck to the game plan, and we were rewarded at the end.”

If the Canadiens play this well in Game 2 – and if Price is as sharp as he was in OT – the Lightning could be travelling north in a big hole.

• 2,200-plus Comments on the game blog. I guess it’s the playoffs, eh?

• The victory dance:

1. Lafleurguy says:

Bergevin was doing the “Running Man,” of New Kids on the Block variety. Camera didn’t do him justice by not showing his feet.

2. toinz says:

Hey everyone, we get to watch Wiese’s goal every time a game goes into OT this year!

I love those Overtime Magic reels…

3. Rugger says:

Just saw this quote from Dale Weise on NHL.com:

“Playing for my favorite team growing up, I’ve probably scored that goal a million times in my driveway. It feels good to actually do it in real life.”

• monmick says:

That’s a great quote…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habfan17 says:

That is awesome. I felt so good for him when he scored the goal!

Habfan17

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Now just hang on a second:

Weise and the team, all hockey players — they’re just in it for the money, right?

The sub-text of that fairy-tale quotation is, in fact, “I just increased my bargaining position big time. I simply can’t wait to double my salary playing for the Panthers again or for Edmonton.”

Ah, Rugger. So gullible….

• Peter Young says:

One of the worthwhile comments on last night’s blog–I forget by whom–envisioned Weise’s father, a lifelong Canadiens fan, turning backflips when Weise scored.

4. JohnBellyful says:

Worst-case scenario: Vanek signs on with Minnesota, where he lives with his wife in her home state, determined to win his second Stanley Cup.

5. Good MOooooooooooorning HIO!

What a great game. They won and our goalie and almost our entire defense were terrible (Josh was good). Price finally got the jitters out of him by the OT but man he’s got to relax and I am hoping he does because he overplayed almost every shot for three periods.

Markov next time there’s a two on one and Stamkos is involved repeat after me, the goalie gets the shooter.
    PK get your head out of your ______. Start playing hockey and forget about Therrien.

Offense, great work last night, you got pucks to the net and that’s how you win. However when you guys came out in the second you changed your game for 15 minutes. You dumped, know maybe the coach wanted you to do this to tire them out but listen here, TB is young, they will skate you guys all night long, so get pucks to the net. Like I just said they are so young, pucks to the net makes them panic and pulls guys out of position. Weise’s goal is a perfect example.

Great work Briere! I actually hate you more than I did during the season, had you played like you did last night maybe you’d be playing 1st line and magical Desharnais could be making Galchenyuk and Gallagher look like superstars. Great work Briere but man you got play like that during the season.

Lil G, I am so sorry I wanted you gone at the deadline, that breakaway goal that Big D set you up on was awesome and set the tone for the entire game…….and ELLER you played great, we all said it….give you some players to play with and it will come.

TB’s ice and boards are a mess. How many goals from both teams were started with the most wackaduddle bounces from tennis ball style pucks, that’s horrible and really was a big factor in the game, Madison Square Garden’s isn’t that bad, and they have the worst ice in the NHL. Turn the AC on TB, you made over 200 K last night from the Habs fans alone, so give them something to play on!
    WOW what a game, so happy because with everything that was bad (first game jitters) they won and that’s great because you just know they will tighten up a little better.
    A lastly, I decided to check out HIO during the game. What a bunch of hissy sissy fitting two year olds online. It’s like all the mature members shut er down to watch the game and the kids come online.

My quote of the night goes to a member who every time TB scored he trashed Carey Price, it’s like he completely forgot who got them to the show!
    Mondou6 April 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm Is Tokarski dressed? end quote.

One down, many to go!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

6. NoTinFoilCups says:

To all those who wanted to throw Eller under the bus, now say you’re sorry, come on now.

• RetroMikey says:

One games does not make Larry Eller forget about all the mistakes he has done.
      Give me another full 82 game schedule to analyze the guy.

I am happy for the 4th line gritty player in Weise we have, we need more of these guys on our team and we will excel.
      As I’ve said all along keep the 4th line as Weise-White-Prust/Moen
      You then have a 1st line offensive unit, and tinker with Bournival being promoted on the third line.

Just concerned with Price, he needs to step it up! We got the W, imagine if we lost????
      If Bishop comes back, it will be a battle of the goaltenders in this series.
      I still think Tampa Bay will win the series in 7 only because of the advantage of home ice.
      The latest poll still thinks we will win the Cup. come on now, the Bruins are the team to take it!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

7. Black Horse says:

Am I worried if Big Ben Bishop comes back? No, in the least!

He is injured & will be rushed back & not fully healed. That would be a bonus for our Habs. Shoot the puck high on BB’s injured side & he won’t make it to the turd!

Game on Baby …

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

8. Peter Young says:

Regarding Price’s save percentage last night:

Save percentage for a single game might well be relatively meaningless. It carries real meaning when it is calculated over a number of games because the greater the number of games the more likely it is that the calculation will reflect accurately the average quality of the shots the goaltender faces.

In a single game the goaltender may face an unusual number of unstoppable shots or high quality shots. Or he may face an unusual number of easily saved or weak shots. Over a number of games, the quality of the shots is more likely to even out.

• Cooper said it best after than game. Shots on goal mean little, it’s what you do with scoring chances that matter.

Carey was off last night, but I’m not worried at all, he get’s free passes because he’s our goalie and the only reason the Habs are where they are.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Peter Young says:

Neither am I in the least worried by Price’s performance last night. As I wrote way below, I don’t think the criticism of Carey’s play during regulation time is justified. I thought all Tampa Bay’s goals were made on very good scoring chances, and that the most Price can fairly be faulted for is not making what would have been a brilliant save. But others see it differently, of course. Apparently some regard not being uniformly brilliant throughout an entire game as an off night for Price, but I think that is an unrealistically high standard.

• Peter Young says:

I now see the same point was made earlier by Loop_Garoo. Apologies to Loop.

9. Paz says:

If you watch the lead up to the OT goal, until the puck finally finds Briere behind the net,, it was all Bournival.

Hey Trini, where are you, buddy??

It was Trini and Boone who scouted Bournival for Pierre Gauthier, and helped secure that deal from the Avalache.

Bournival is a keeper for sure.

• Ozmodiar says:

That play was as much about Briere as it was Bournival.

Bournival caused 2 quick turnovers on the side board, but the 2nd was started by Briere’s forecheck which caused the d-man to put the puck in the wrong place.

Then there was Briere’s patient move to the front of the net to take a shot. That drew everyone in, giving Gorges time to coral the rebound and put it behind the net. At that point, the puck didn’t really “find” Briere, rather Briere found the puck by checking the d-man who was there 1st.

10. Prop says:

Today I’m on autopilot mode, hardly was able to sleep last night even though I was only able to watch the overtime period.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

11. Flanelette says:

A few reflections on last night:
    1-Does Markov have the flu?
    2- PK seems tradeable after all. If he’s asking for 8 million$ that’ll make it easy. He’s not liked anywhere (although I don’t understand the booing), he’s erratic, not good on defense. Not a plus for the team that’s for sure.
    3-Bouillon, despite the comments of the posters here, was one of the steadiest and fault-free players. That’s why he is there. Imagine Tinordi? with Subban all over the place and Markov playing poorly?
    4- Why is Prust on the 2nd line? He’s an energy guy, a team guy, but can’t be a top six, especially just coming back from (another) injury. Why not move him to 4th line and give Brière a chance as a top six.
    5-Love D.D: a great hockey player.
    6-Nice to play against a team which is NOT dirty.
    7-My God MTL’s defense is vulnerable. So many poor decisions.
    8- How are we still testing new lines in the playoffs?

12. mdp2011 says:

Boy the Habs are going to really regret the Diaz trade, you’ll see. Fire Bergervin!!!

13. Ozmodiar says:

Random thoughts:

I’m not worried about Price. How often have we heard how goalies don’t like facing so few shots? He was more focused in OT and it showed.

Despite the shot total, I don’t think Lindback looked good at all. He looked shaky, and showed poor rebound control. You could tell the Habs were trying to take advantage.

Ya gotta love the speed of the 4th line. I’d like to know how much time they spent in the offensive zone in OT. I hope MT keeps them together.

Would it be crazy for MT to reward Briere with #1 PP unit time with 20 and 67? I think not. Let’s see what he can do. It is playoff time, after all.

If Eller and Pleks keep playing like they did in game 1, it could be an interesting playoff run.

Loved Vanek’s back-checking.

Loved MB’s celly!

14. HankHardball says:

Game of Groans?
    Idiot crying like 12yr old girl. PK took too many chances. Prust not ready. Weaver got beat.
    Substitute White for Prust. Replace Weaver with who, Tinordi?

Bigger Picture:
    Therrien rarely changes the line up after a win.
    Talk about the winning game 1 on the road benefits.

15. JF says:

For the first few minutes the game looked like a carbon copy of every game we played against the Lightning during the regular season. The Bolts were aggressive on the forecheck, they controlled the play, our guys were reacting rather than initiating. Then something happened. The Habs took over. We became more aggressive, we worked harder, we skated faster, we created more chances. For three-quarters of the game, we dictated the tempo and dominated play. If we can continue to do so, I like our chances. But I imagine the Lightning will try to get back to the kind of tight-checking, defensive battle we’ve been used to all season and at which they are better than we are. I think we need to prevent this happening, particularly if Ben Bishop returns, as I get the feeling he will.

When Dale Weise scored the OT winner, I had visions of Tom Kostopoulos scoring in overtime against Philly in 2008 – an equally unlikely hero. Weise was perhaps the least likely player on the team to score that particular goal, a perfect shot from five feet out. His goals in the regular season were more of the accidental variety. I just hope the sequel does not resemble 2008, when that OT victory was our only one.

16. toinz says:

Good morning everyone,

Montreal is buzzing this morning. That playoff excitement is back!

Permit me a bit of trolling of all the advanced stat gurus who thought the Wiese for Diaz trade was an absolute robbery for Mike Gillis!

As one friend told me “the Canucks fans who thought Wiese for Diaz was a steal for Vancouver are the reason that franchise needs a lobotomy.”

“This trade makes me think that the Canucks identified a useful player in Diaz, and managed to get rid of an under performing forward to make it happen. Bergevin/Therrien on the other hand absolutely destroyed Diaz’s trade value and then flipped him for a fringe NHLer. GM of the year work right there!”

One GM in that trade is fired, the other is doing the Marc-arena!

17. adamkennelly says:

awesome W – deserved it – lucky to get it.

most forwards played well – exception being Prust – who looked really bad and good ol MT played him way too much.

on the back end – Weaver had a rough night and PK looks like he still doesn’t get it.

Price – not sure what to say. was beaten by a few shots that should not have gone in but many of their limited chances were good ones caused by turnovers and terrible D.

with the Habs leading 4-3 in the third my girlfriend said something like “don’t worry Price will make the save” – and boom puck in our net. I told her she was not allowed to talk during OT.

18. Black Horse says:

Two Questions:

#1. When Montreal wins the Cup this June you think that Vanek will want to stay in Montreal?

#2 You think that Stevie Y was saying where is that Goalie in the first 3 periods that won us gold? LOL

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

19. JUST ME says:

You always know when Boone is writing the ALN text because he always starts negatively. I bet he doesn`t even notice anymore…

When you manage to win a game like yesterday`s ,you are in good shape, lucky but in a good shape. I like the fact that the team went to win this one for Carey and we still owe him quite a few games yet..That`s team spirit man !

They keep coming back and never give up wich is a side of the Habs that i really really like. But all this up and down,up and down,up and down makes you crazy nervous . If this is the game Tampa wants to play then we can handle it easilly and have more fire power than they do even though they have many snipers. Our finesse players make the difference.

At the end of the day even though it did not show, the difference makers were a few defensive plays we got right that they did not. Carey was perfect in ot and Gorges really saved us a few times during the game.It came down to this.
    I still maintin the 6 games win but if we do get game two in Tampa it may change everything considering the type of game played between those two. The Habs can close down a game and become tighter, i doubt that the Bolts can.

20. Bash says:

I was wearing the vintage Cournoyer last night. In overtime I did the secret jersey move and VIOLA! WEISS!

The “move” is used sparingly and with great decorum.

Next time we desperately need a goal or a save …

Yes. You can count on me.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

21. HABitat4humanity says:

Oh yeah, Callahan!!!?!! Someone needs to run over that guy! He was plastering any guy that was 2 feet away from him.

22. HABitat4humanity says:

Franky Boo was pretty impressive last night. Habs need to up the hitting, & focus on the PP AND definitely focus on faceoffs. Its almost a given they will lose the draw.

23. AliHaba says:

My Man Cave was being threatened by water last night so as I watched the game I was stickhandling with the Shop-vac wand. Lots of things to like about the game. They seem to be dedicated as a group. Fun to watch. Best thing all night (besides Weise’s goal) was Bergevin’s little dance.

24. BriPro says:

Did any of us know that MB went out and spent all that money on Briere specially to assist on game one’s OT winning goal?
    Who’s looking like the genius GM now?

25. Black Horse says:

This says it all:

“I love the team we have” – Brian Gionta April 16, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

26. BriPro says:

7:00 am and there are already over 100 comments. Sick!
    C’mon people, I have to go to work. Do you have to give me such heavy reading?

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPRO!

• BriPro says:

Hi buddy. I’ll wager that you’re having a great morning. :)

Morning Bri! Going to enjoy the day, winter is over in Southern Ontario, my prediction is Mother Nature had her last gust yesterday and now I get to enjoy Habs Playoffs and Golf…..not sure its gets any better!

Heard the weekend was great at Chris’s wedding, glad you had a great time. Sorry I missed the good times!

• BriPro says:

‘Morning Gerry. And we’re sorry we missed you.
            It was a lot of fun.
            Golf? Are the courses open where you are?
            Lucky stiff. I drove to Quebec City in a snow squall yesterday morning.

I’m off to Myrtle Beach all next week, probably will be wearing my Habs jerseys on the course!

• BriPro says:

Hey wait a minute. Last year, when I asked if I could join you this year, you said “Sure! I’ll even pay your way….”
            Where is that archived post? It’s here somewhere….

Price should have had the first goal, after that, pretty good goals by Tampa shooters, evidently Stamkos is indeed the best goal scorer in the world.

Besides, if we can win a game on a night when our best player has what many consider an “off night” isn’t that actually very promising?

Loved the agressive gameplan the Habs put together. Dmen will need to be a little more careful, some of our forwards don’t need to play the role of matador on the back check and can instead actually backcheck. This would prevent some of the glorious chances we did give up.

Lars Eller = Stud in the playoffs, great night
    Danny Briere = Stud in the playoffs, great night
    Bourque = Enigma would looked real good last night.

And hey UCe, what about that Weise, what a shot he does have, turns out he just needs to be about 5 feet from the net to release it!

Great win, lets not take the foot off the pedal. Lets play hard and try win the next game.

Nothing more enjoyable than the Playoff OT Victories, brings back such wonderful memories.

• Black Horse says:

I agree HB

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly. Happy day for sure.

• BriPro says:

G’morning Gerry.
      I didn’t like Stamkos’ first goal.
      The guys on l’AC were saying that Carey could be forgiven because it was a laser from Stamkos.
      But I would wager that Carey would like to have it back.
      Aside from shaky goaltending for the first three periods and a few brutal turnovers, including Weavers’ attempt at a soccer kick at the blue line that resulted in another goal, and Prust’s giveaway in our end, it was a great way to start the series.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Morning, Burly.
      Great summary. Especially your point about winning despite Price not being amazing. I also loved Eller.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Dear Marc Bergervin;

Thank you for the acquiring Vanek, Weaver and Weiss this season. All three players have been key components to this season’s success. Not only did you acquire these players but you gave up very little for them.

I’m sorry for doubting you with taunts of Drewskie. Please forgive me.

Love,

Jim

Wonder if your buddy in Calgary wants to co-sign that letter? Also dont forget Crankshaft!

Morning Jim!

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny, out of all the moves for me the key one was Weaver. He’s had a settling impact on what was a rather pouress defense.

As for Crankshaft, I only stay on his bandwagon because Front like him! :)

Weaver had a rough night last night, but man he was a stud for us since the trade. The Day that trade occurred I looked up his minutes played and some other stats and he indeed appeared to have been one of Florida’s best dmen but was indeed of small stature. HI/O fricking blew up, most everyone here bashing MB. It was then that it was confirmed to me that MB and Dudley know what they are doing in scouting other pro players they add to the lineup.

Just as Weise was a role needed, Weaver brought something needed. Murray is needed also, just not every game.

Must temper my excitement as I am so very pumped this morning.

29. Black Horse says:

I’ll stick to the 1 – 2 goal games thank very much!

Price was not very sharp in the regular session BUT he made up for it BIG TIME in the OT. Price was Outstanding in the OT & redeemed himself! He needed that boost going into the next game.

Some nights the players can’t score & the goaltender bails them out & some nights the goaltender can’t stop pucks & the players bail him out. Last night the players done just that! There is no “I” in team.

Price will sit down with Waite and go over that game last night for sure. I will tell you this: Price will have a great game on Friday!

Mr. Playoffs had an assist on the OT winner. Just as promised, Briere is a point a game playoff man!

Larry came through as did the two Thomas’s What about Weise eh? In the right spot at the right time!

Linback made some great saves & not so great saves BUT he can be beat! Just have to get quality shots.

Take it away Queen with his great cap…

One down, fifteen to go……………..

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

30. DipsyDoodler says:

Now we know why the Habs played a tight defensive game all season long. It was to spare the fans’ nerves.

Still, I prefer this.

That Stamkos is some player isn’t he?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Who knows how all of this will pan out, but isn’t Vanek just a treat to watch?

What a talent, yet sometimes other things count just as much.
    When there was a scrum after the whistle, he didn’t skate away like some others would do. He was right in the middle of things sticking up for his mates.

Regardless of what happens after the season, he was more than worth the cost.
    Not only is he showing some unexpected leadership, yet he is also teaching and sharing with Max-51-the 2 Gallys-Bournival…invaluable stuff for all those guys moving forward.

Thank you GMMB…..and you need some work on those OT winning dance moves of yours…

32. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Funny how things go sometimes.
    Here’s a Habs team that scored 1.65 goals per game when playing 5X5 hockey during the season, then go out and score 4 in a playoff game + a shothanded one.

As for Carey, it’s hard to understand why some are dumping on him.
    No, he didn’t make the ” should have been a goal” saves Habs fans are used to, yet none were weak softies and he was solid in OT when he had to be.

Price always gave the impression that he needs a lot of pucks fired at him to keep him in the game.
    In the first 3 periods he only faced 4-7-5 shots then 9 more in OT.

• Cal says:

It’s like the team D only allowed major gaffes last night, leaving Price unable to recover.
      He saved the day in OT, and that’s something he can hang his hat on.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Exactly Cal.
        The right saves at the right times.
        He showed great mental toughness in OT…something that was missing in the past until goalie coach Stephane Waite showed up this year

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Carey was sliding miles past his posts last night. He can’t do that. It’s not his game. His strength is positioning. He’s gotta get square to the shooter and control his rebounds to have success. Rebound control wasn’t a problem for the most part. He’ll be better Friday.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

• BJ says:

It reminded me of two goalies that have won cups in the past. They would let in a few “iffy’s” but were clutch when needed. Ken Dryden and Grant Fuhr.

• Habfan10912 says:

Have to admit Ronn I was a little disappointed in Price’s performance through 3 periods. Goaltending is the one area where I think the Habs have a huge advantage over the Bolts. As with most great players, he was huge in the OT.

Loved your point about workload.

Morning sir!

• Loop_Garoo says:

People see the save percentage and think “oh, horrible game for Price”, but save percentage is really a long term stat, relevant over a dozen games, not a few. A team can easily have 4 shots on goal in a period, all of them great scoring chances,or 20 easy to stop shots. Over time, this will even out and the save % becomes important. The sample size in one game isnt large enough to matter. It’s the same reason when someone scores 4 goals in a game, we dont expect him to score 4 goals every game, its an anomaly, happens once in a while, will even out to a meaningful statistic over time.

• Black Horse says:

I respectfully disagree. Price is on his game when get gets in the game early & often as he did in the OT.

” and the fun begins” – Carey Price

33. Habfan17 says:

I thought the whole team played well! There were a few moments from some players I think they would like back, but overall, the team played a great game!

Two observations I made was that Pacioretty seemed a bit lost and unable to play at the faster pace. Subban seems to be over thinking his game instead of using “the force”, his natural instincts. I am hoping that is what it is and not a limiting hockey sense. It is like watching a looped video when he goes for that big hit along the boards! I keep cringing thinking if he misses, the way he turns his body, he will seriously hurt himself! I think PK would benefit from some hitting coaching from Larry Robinson. He should watch a few hours of Big Bird hit videos.

Having said that, it is not meant to be negative, simply an observation. I think both players had overall strong games like the rest of their team mates. Pleks made some awesome moves and Gorges saved the day a couple of times.

Bring on game two and I hope they play the same way! Vanek made some super slick passes. I hope he decides to stay if MB offers him a contract! He reminds me a bit of Kovalev, only with more hustle!

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey Steve! Vanek is very good at hockey.

Confession, I’ve seen Vanek play a lot both live and on TV and I must admit I never appreciated his game as much as I do now. I use to think he was a floater who didn’t really give his all out there. Man was I wrong.

• Habfan17 says:

Good morning Jim!

I had read some negative articles about Vanek not trying when he didn’t have the puck, but he sure isn’t that player here! Maybe he does float from time to time during the regular season. Maybe it was more a statement to the teams he was on. So far, he has been great in a Habs uniform and I hope we get to be entertained by him for a few more years, as a Hab!!

Habfan17

34. zephyr says:

georges was caught out of position a few times too & it cost us. subban played a much better game than georges or markov. emelin looks like he’s back to his old self again.
    price better get rid of his nerves & stop the puck from here on in. b4 the beginning of the game he stood on the ice like he was facing a firing squad.
    bourque was a stud last yr against Ottawa too. he’s big, has speed & can shoot. those guys are hard to come by. ditto for eller.
    our skaters get an a+ grade from me.
    what was nice for me about this game was that the refs weren’t totally incompetent – aside from 2 stupid calls. they didn’t look like they were deliberately trying to throw the game for a change.

35. Mavid says:

That was stressful and exciting..I don’t think I sat for the whole OT..my blood pressure must have been through the roof..as this morning I have a headache..haha..but it was so worth it..Friday should be a dandy

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

36. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Price was not bad, but he seemed flat – at the outset. By the overtime, he was back on his game. That was important. .750 is a lousy percentage, but a bounce back is what you want to see.

A good, exciting game with a lot of positives. Tampa is a good opponent and no pushover, so we’re on the roller coaster here. Should be fun.

37. Cal says:

Well, that one was a blast and lots more playoffs to come! Thanks to Dunboyne Mike for this selection (so don’t blame me; it’s all on him) Weised Lightning!

38. BJ says:

A post of wisdom yesterday:
    Comment on Prust will be in Habs lineup for Game 1 (2014-04-16 13:26:32)
    Fourth line gets at least one tonight. Grit and speed.

39. Habfan10912 says:

Morning all!. Last night was just another example of playoff hockey being the best watch in all of professional sports.

I won’t publicly embarrass myself in describing the various things I was doing during the overtime period. Let’s just say that there are probably very few man my age behaving that way. :)

I really liked the games by Eller, Vanek, Emelin, and a physical Markov last night.

A huge win making the chest pains and the years of my life lost, worth it.

CHeers.

40. Dunboyne Mike says:

Overtime is a lottery. Last night the lottery could well have cost us a game we absolutely deserved to win. Great effort individually and collectively, and behind the bench.

Some with greater insight than my own are asserting that Price had an off-night. I just don’t see it. Agreed, his regulation-time stats look dreadful, but which of those goals should he have stopped? And as Mike B emphasises, he stone-walled Tampa Bay through virtually a full period of OT. Price gets the W.

Many things will change on both teams between now and Game 2. However, it sure looks as though Montreal somehow containing Stamkos more comprehensively will pretty much neutralise the Lightning offense.

Last thing: how about Lars Eller! What a great return. Was there an o-zone penalty or a bad decision? Wow, he sure played to his strengths and caused nightmares.

A lot of forwards did. So while we zero in on Stamkos next game, on whom does Tampa focus?!

• twilighthours says:

1st and 2nd goals were stoppable. Looked jittery on a bunch more shots.

No reason for alarm, he’ll be fine.

Good morning.

• twilighthours says:

Also, Larry was sublime.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“Do you even watch hockey?”

(I’m thinking of making that my signature!)

I thought he had no chance on 1 and 2 (Stamkos is an artist), and I think I could have scored the 4th in my slippers and with a rope instead of a stick. Looked to me like only the 3rd suggested a moment of poor positioning….

• BJ says:

I see you stayed up until the end. I looked at the time of this post 4:45 am, I was dreaming of the outcome (tossing and turning unconsciously waiting to catch the stream this morning), I hope you had no early morning commitments.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It was worth it BJ, but I’m a teacher on Easter break, so I’m not recommending it.

Mind you, it helped having two hours sleep pre-game, then 5 after. Not so bad?

• Peter Young says:

I had an afternoon nap to be fresh for the game, and the game gave me such an adrenaline rush that I’m still up on the West Coast at just past 5 a.m. Life for a retiree is a lot looser in terms of time.

I fancied myself beyond getting so wrapped up in a game, even a playoff contest involving our Canadiens, but it turns out I was almost as excited and emotionally involved as I was when I watched them as a boy long ago. A loss would have been devastating. But our team came through for all of us, didn’t it? Yes, it did!

Last season I felt only mild depression when the Canadiens lost, and I think the difference is that this season we have a team with real promise, which means we fans have hopes, hopes that can be crushed or perhaps even realized. Go Habs, go!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Last year we were so banged up (even before Eller’s destruction) that I reckon expectations were pretty low (if only at a subconscious level).

Now we’ve had one more year of Bergevin’s vision, and certain things are starting to take shape. Beating TB is pretty much demanded, so expectations ARE indeed higher — hence our collective palpitations throughout most of last night’s game!

If we do indeed progress, what happens next is anyone;s guess. Playoffs are not for predictions!

41. Peter Young says:

The Canadiens were up for it tonight, all of them. There were mistakes, but all in all it was a fine effort.

All four forward lines contributed, a huge improvement that is very encouraging. The Canadiens had been outshot in several recent regular season games, but turned things completely around this time, almost doubling Tampa Bay’s shots total. Their forechecking was excellent, producing Lightning turnovers on several occasions and preventing the Lightning from putting together effective attacks on many others. That was one of the reasons the Tampa Bay shots total was so low.

While lack of mobility in the Canadiens defense corps allowed the Lightning to capitalize through their speed, poor backchecking by the Canadiens forwards was also responsible for the breakdowns. One exception came when Vanek saved an almost certain goal through backtracking, but he made that effort only because of pride; he had lost the puck in the turnover that gave the Bolts the scoring chance. Given the lack of backchecking by the forwards, the defense must also be given a large part of the credit for limiting the Bolts’ shot opportunities.

Criticism of Price’s play during regulation time is largely unfair. The first Bolts goal came after a fluke rebound from behind the net left almost everyone confused and Kucherov open for a free shot on net. The second was a blazing shot of a puck that Stamkos’ stick struck on its end; it was perfectly placed, hitting the far post before it went in. The last two were just good goals by forwards who were open in front of the net with Price again having little if any chance to make a save. Yes, those four goals came on relatively few shots, but they also came on excellent goal-scoring chances. Price was, of course, superb in overtime, saving the game several times. Had he been equally dazzling in regulation time, he might have prevented one or two of the Lightning goals, but that is all that can fairly be said against him.

I was very pleased by the overall team effort. My favorite moment was Vanek’s goal off a superb pass from Desharnais. It reminded me of the kind of goal Maurice Richard sometimes scored, rocketing around a defenseman to the front of the net just in time to gather a pinpoint pass from brother Henri (or perhaps Dickie Moore) and put it over the flailing goaltender. I want much more of Vanek on this team; he is just what the team needed on offense, he is a great goalscorer and fine passer, he is good on and off the puck, he can’t be pushed around, he is intelligent, and he seems to have a good work ethic and leadership qualities. I hope it’s possible that the CH can sign him with a generous offer and the the lure of playing for a club of grand tradition in the home of hockey with a chance of doing great things in the near future, that his wife’s desire to live in her home state of Minnesota has not irretrievably locked him in to a move there.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

This was the game I watched, Peter. Great post (as also was your late one last night).

Good Post Peter, was a must win after dominating so much of the game, and we got that win. Now we need to do the same in Game 2.

Best of luck to your Liverpool Reds, they certainly are in the drivers seat after Man. City blew it yesterday.

CHeers

• Peter Young says:

Liverpool are not my team. I was just putting in a plug for them. I’m originally from Manchester and United have been my team all my life, even longer than the Canadiens. But I come from an era when there was no bitter rivalry between Liverpool and Man United, and when United cannot win it, I hope a team from Manchester, Lancashire (which includes Liverpool) or the North of England, in that order, can. So onwards Liverpool.

• Peter Young says:

42. FormalWare says:

I don’t get it. Train the team to play a conservative, slightly passive style, all season long – in contrast to the aggressive forechecking style of last season – and amass 100 points, doing so – and then, come playoff time, say “Release the hounds! Our real identity is aggressive, after all!”

I don’t get it – but I like it!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

43. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I see that Boone laid the “halakian” tag on Lindback. I agree, in that he had a large quantity of saves to make. But like Halak during his playoff run he didn’t always look confident; many times offering up juicy rebounds and giving up a couple of goals that he’d surely like another crack at. We’re in his head. And was he the better goalie on the ice tonight? Busiest, sure… but ‘best’? I’m not so sure about that.

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

44. Stevie.Ray says:

I don’t give him credit often, but I think Desharnais was the best Hab on the ice tonight.
    Stealing pucks, going hard to the net, nifty passes, and justbeing so strong on the puck. The way he used to play. Back before he started falling all over the place. Great game by him

Even though Price didn’t play great.. man… he still has such great hair. I can look at it over and over again.

46. habkin says:

Finally the team bailed out Price. And what about Eller! Focus on game number two Hab fans. Lets break TB’s confidence a bit more.

47. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

That 4th Tampa goal was the one that bugged me the most. It started in the Tampa zone when Gallagher didn’t skate and got blown by to start the odd-man rush. Then not to have Stamkos covered… man, let Price have the shooter on that one.

X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Captain aHab says:

Gallagher was at the end of his shift….the mistake was Weaver’s.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

48. Un Canadien errant says:

Timo, you may want to avoid this post.

Interesting article on RDS, an interview with Francis Bouillon, who states that he still wants to play next season.

Which shouldn’t be surprising, who would really want to walk away from a job like that, but I’d conditioned myself into thinking that everyone knew, on HIO, on the team, among the coaches, in the offices upstairs at the New Forum, that this was Francis’ last season.

I kind of thought that he might play in Switzerland or elsewhere in Europe for a couple of seasons, to finish out his career, ease out of it with a nice experience. When I learned that he has a son who plays minor hockey on a line with Mathieu Darche’s twin boys, I realized that was less likely, that he’d uproot his family for a sinecure in Europe, but still, I thought the NHL was out of the question for him.

Personally, I want the Canadiens to refrain from re-signing Mike Weaver or Francis next season, we need to clear out the roster for the Magnus Nygrens, the Tinordi-Beaulieu-Pateryn triumvirate, whenever these guys are ready. And if we find that we do need a veteran placeholder, let’s sign up a Jeff Schultz or a Ryan O’Byrne, a big rightie to be the #6-7 d-man, not a smallish leftie.

So like I said, interesting, in that I thought this decision was already made, by mutual consent, but apparently not, the Bull would like to return. If for no other reason, that may play in our hands, in that he’ll be super-duper extra motivated these playoffs, to prove he’s still got it, as he did on Saturday against Derek Dorsett.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Timo says:

Thanks man, but I said on several occasions that Bouillon will be re-signed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, it’s just dawning on me that it’s now an option. I was certain it was understood that the extension he got last season was to tide the team over, to reward him for his loyal services, but that we’d definitely move on next season.

I’m of a mind that I’d rather throw Magnus Nygren out there next season, even if it means a few extra losses. Sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward again.

49. byebyegomez says:

The last time only one Canadian team made the playoffs the Canadiens won the cup. Good omen. Go Habs.
    The boys won one for Price. Price will be better next game. No worries.

50. Mr. Biter says:

Don’t want to start a big discussion but right now buit would we better signing Vanek for 5 years or PK? Remember for Vanek we get nothing back. but for PK we would get at least 1 or 2 front line players and or high draft choices. Just a question for the masses.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

51. Un Canadien errant says:

My PVR played a nasty trick on me. I had set it up to record every program on RDS from “Hockey 360″ until 0200 hr PDT, which I thought would be sufficient for any overtime, including a Capitals vs. Islanders-style marathon. Somehow though, I got robbed of the entire overtime period, jumping straight from the end of the third period, to the next program when Jacques Demers and the rest of the crew on l’Antichambre were gladhanding and backslapping. Odd, since I was expecting them to comment in between periods before resumption of play in overtime, but they were definitely in a celebratory mood. I really thought there was no reason to celebrate at the end of the third.

So that blows. I’ve seen the Dale Weise goal, but I’ll definitely watch the end of the game on “Canadiens Express”. And I’ll manually program my PVR the rest of these playoffs to prevent this from re-occurring.

What’s even more odd, and blows much more, is how many Canadiens fans felt their lineup was inferior to the Lightning’s prior to puck drop, and were somberly predicting doom for les Glorieux. Which I absolutely don’t get. I think the Lightning are, like the Canadiens, a good but not flawless team, with strengths and weaknesses. Further, I feel we match up quite well with them. With rampaging rhino Ryan Malone on the sidelines for disciplinary issues, there’s no monster player who’ll bulldoze a swath through our lineup, we’re facing a fast, skilled team that will try to skate with us, which we can handle.

One post on HIO which made me gasp described the Tampa Bay defence corps as “pretty awesome” and containing “no weak links”. Now I have to differ on this, any team which puts out failed-Leaf Mike Kostka as their #6 defenceman ipso facto relinquishes any claim to awesomeness in any form. Your weakest link is wearing #21, plainly, for everyone to see. The brittle Sami Salo is 39 years old. Radko Gudas is statuesque, but in his case it’s not meant in a flattering way, like it is when describing Kate Upton.

RDS had a lowlight segment of Tampa Bay d-men gaffes, and it wasn’t pretty. Matt Carle getting down to block a shot and letting Lars Eller skate around him for a score. Radko Gudas stumbling and, uh, letting Tomas Plekanec skate around him for a score. Flubbed passes, for glaring giveaways. Then the Dale Weise goal with both d-men wrestling behind the net with titanic Daniel Brière. That’s a lot of lowlights for one game.

I’m not saying that our defence is leaps and bounds better, we have our own issues, but there’s no way that we should have d-corps envy when it comes to the Lightning. Save that for when we’re up against the Blackhawks in the finals and look upon their first pairing of Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith, as big of a preck as the latter is.

No envy then, especially if P.K. can find his form. He looked scattered again tonight. Ineffective offensively, spraying passes, not reliably gaining the offensive zone on the powerplay, he was also out of sorts on defence. He tried a few times in the second to deliver his ‘bee sting’ hip check, but mostly missed his man and had to scramble back. At one point an opponent tried to retaliate with a hip check of his own, P.K. took offence and delivered a weak one-handed slash, and then faked an injury for a few seconds to try to draw an offsetting penalty.

I’ll say it again. I want P.K. to play tough, to play hard, but to stop with the cheap slashes and spears and slewfoots, to stop gaping at the refs, arms in the air, shrugging, while play continues around him. I want him to stop the diving and the maudlin act for the refs. I want him to be tough, to fight through checks and slashes and play with a purpose, not distracted by what the refs may decide. Keep playing hard until the whistle blows, you’ll get more calls that way. I want him to stop trying to instigate, he’s too good a player, too smart, too valuable, too likable to take the Brad Marchand path. Play tough, play hard, and if you cause a fight, decline it, or finish it yourself, don’t wait for Hal Gill, Josh Gorges, Brandon Prust, George Parros or Francis Bouillon to come in and save your bacon.

But this is a side rant, meant to clear the air, P.K. didn’t win the game for us, but he certainly didn’t nearly lose it for us. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Mike Weaver for pinching, holding the blue line, when his team was up one goal, drew a lot of negative attention. If we were trying to tie up the game late in the third, the risk would have been justified, but as it was, he sprang the Lightning for a two-on-one that Steven Stamkos cashed in for his second goal of the game. Andrei Markov didn’t cover himself in glory on that one either, his slide was mistimed and ineffective. And I hate that play anyway. He focused on the puck carrier instead of blocking the pass and letting Carey worry about the shooter.

Carey had an awful game in terms of his results going into overtime, stopping 12 of 16 shots. Pierre Houde during the game idly wondered whether Carey was suffering from the lack of work, whether more shots might have been better for him, and it’s hard to argue against that hypothesis. The Antichambre crew assure me that he made up for this with his play in overtime, keeping the boys in the game until Dale Weise ended it.

One other goat who jumped out at me, and everybody else on RDS, was Brandon Prust on the third goal against, when he had the puck on his stick in the defensive zone, with a slim one-goal lead. This is the kind of situation of which coaches will plead requires a ‘strong play’, meaning banging it off the boards, clearing the zone, not messing around. But Brandon tried to finesse the puck, to stickhandle his way out of danger, and he coughed it up and it ended in his net.

He was properly contrite, immediately, and we’ll have to give him a pardon on this, seeing as it’s his first game back in a month, but I’d like to caution Brandon that when he plays on a line other than the fourth, he gets too fancy. He seems to think that he needs to match pretty plays with his linemates, whereas all he needs to do is skate hard, gain possession of the puck, and the opposition zone, bang and crash, be physical and a handful in front of the net. Let your linemates do the embroidery Brandon, you just be yourself, do your job, move the furniture around, that’s all that’s required of you, and you’ll do fine just doing that.

It’s worthwhile to go over the contributions of our fourth line, and the greater depth of the Canadiens at forward. From the lowpoint of two seasons ago when we had the likes of Aaron Palushaj, Mathieu Darche, Yannick Weber, and Mike Blunden among others filling in on the fourth line, and bleeding up into the third, we now have a comparative embarrassment of riches. Making lemonade, Michel Therrien played Daniel Brière at centre on the fourth line, between two fast young wingers Dale Weise and Michaël Bournival, who have the ability to cause havoc in the offensive zone. Against a tougher, more physical team, Ryan White might make more sense on the fourth line, but this combo was the right choice to counter Tampa’s speed. They spent a large part of their shifts in the offensive zone, sending pucks skittering across their crease, and had them on their heels for a large portion of the evening.

With Travis Moen coming back from injury soon, Michel Therrien will have lots of options to mix and match youth or experience, speed and offence or defensive reliability, scoring or grit, when he makes up his lines.

So we’ve wrested home-ice advantage from the Lightning, even if it wasn’t pretty or decisive. “They found a way to win”, on a night when Carey was off and every mistake ended up in his net. Let’s hope for a better result from him on Friday, so we can go home up 2-0 in the series, and step on their neck on Sunday.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

52. jctremblay says:

THE highlight is Bergevin’s reaction…lol..can’t stop watching the gif…https://vine.co/v/M17uOEm63MA

53. The Jackal says:

Really liked the Habs’ effort tonight.
    While Price let in four goals on few shots, I can’t really blame him on them – we let TB have some good looks and they capitalized on that. Price redeemed himself in OT and we did not panic or fall apart after allowing the first goal or blowing two leads – very good character win overall.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

54. 24AW says:

Habs didn’t have many shots, but they came out a winner.

Chris Lee is doing the Ducks game. Is there a chance he will stay out west for the playoffs?

56. lizard ranger says:

I’m not buying a DD jersey just yet …. But that’s only cause I’m kinda tall and can’t be showing off that much belly .

57. jols says:

Total domination by our boys tonight. All 4 lines played great. The funny thing was that our 4 best players over the past several years had very average games – Price, PK, Markov and Patches. We still dominated despite our key guys not excelling like they normally do. Next game when they are back to their normal high standard of play we should even be better. TB really needed Bishop to steal them this series, so him being injured is a huge plus.

Seguin makes it a one goal game with 6 mins to go.

59. lizard ranger says:

Still on my Vanek man-crush . This guy WANTS his line to score every shift . Hopefully he never has to complain about not winning, gets traded mid period and has to buy a Habs jersey . I think he might be a Hab for a long while . Fun game, great result, can’t wait till Friday .
    This spring is gonna be harder on my liver or on my relationship ???

I am sure it was discussed but Bergevin’s reaction to the OT goal was awesome.

I am going to get me another beer.

YEAH!!!! Holy Weisey baby!!! Weisey is awesome! And THAAAAT’s why Habs signed Briere. I see now.

Overall a pretty solid game from pretty much everyone except for Price, Prust and Emelin.

Even Bourque was good. Him and Eller kept causing havoc in TB’s zone and so did the 4th line. I thought Habs’ weakest line was Pleks even though Turtleneck boy scored a goal and nearly had another.

First line needs to stop the F with the pretty passing and start shooting more. That kind of sh!t is good for the first month of the reg season or a beer league but not playoffs.

One more game like that from Price and I will firmly believe that he is one of those players that gets you in the playoffs but that’s about it. Stephen Waite still has some work to do there.

Anyway, Habs are going home with the split at least and that’s not so bad. Exciting game overall though.

It’s nice to see the Habs win without having to completely lean on goaltending for a change. That being said I am confident Price will get better the more pucks get thrown at him. I really like the balanced 4 lines, the neutral zone coverage and most of all the hustle. The Habs really wanted the puck this game. I hope they can keep up that intensity going for 15 more wins.

64. laGrandeTerreur says:

Boone, I like tonight’s post, spot on for the most part, BUT…

Hedman? I don’t care what the scoresheet says, he looked terrible in his own end, routinely harrassed and coughing up the puck to smaller men. It was Phaneuf-like in the D zone for him. Surprisingly bad. He deserves no ‘exceptions’.

65. Habanero78 says:

Well what can we say! Overall a good game to get under the belt. Some OT magic, I’ve seen this before. :)
    Love the spread out scoring and keeping the shot count low, although Tampa was getting dangerous chances. Price obviously looked nervous, it’s good they’re starting on the road. He was overcommitting like crazy… and looked very uncharacteristic.
    I’m sure he’ll find his form.

Every journey starts with one step. One step taken…

66. habs001 says:

While there were some hits, it does not look like that this will be a body pounding series..this is good for the Habs…The team does not really need Prust for this series but probably more for the next one…Probably more o/t to come in the series…

67. Mr. Biter says:

Whatta a game. A few obversations:
    1) Whatever illegal drugs they pumped into Eller and Bourque , keep them flowing. Best they have played for a long time.
    2) Gotta make room for Gio for next year
    3) Vanek at almost any cost
    4) When Weiss was acquired would anyone have made a Vegas bet that the Winnipeg boy would score an overtime winner?
    5) Weaver may see the view from the press box on Friday
    6) MT will be seen walking thru Tampa looking g for a “Hair Restoration Clinic” tomorrow as I’m sure he lost 1/2 of his remaining hair during this game.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

68. Clay says:

Great write up Boone…hard not to revel in this victory. I hope to do it many more times this post season. This is a solid looking team.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

69. sackabooboo says:

I have to say I agree with Boone. Price looked a bit suspect on goals 1 and 2. It was a game we deserved to win, needed to win, and thankfully we did. If Tampa would have won, things could have been ugly. Prust Weaver and Subban will get better as the playoffs go on.

GO HABS GO!!!

_______________________________________________________
    Let’s trade Price…been a long time since the Habs have been fleeced….I miss it.

70. Marc10 says:

Home ice baby! Nice work Weise, Danny B and co!

71. prep says:

Did the robot in front of my wife and her friends right after the goal……. Don’t know if they were laughing at me or my wife

• Peter Young says:

Wow, again, Peter Crouch bringing the robot dance to the England national football team as well as several English football clubs, including Liverpool! Seems there are quite a few association football fans among Canadiens fans, including, of course, our own Mike Boone, who is surely celebrating Manchester City’s draw today, which puts his Liverpool team in the clear in the title race and gives them a great chance to win the league title for the first time in a couple of decades.

72. ClutchNGrab says:

Home ice advantage is overrated.

73. bwoar says:

Good points on Cooper. He took some weird chances. He was forced to play a ton more Stamkos than he intended (which worked) but he kept pushing the envelope and Gionta burned him.

I disagree with you on Lindback, he made a ton of saves and played great this past week. But it may be moot as Bishop is practicing.

74. JF says:

It’s good to see some recognition for Therrien’s work. He was slammed on this site in last year’s playoffs, with people claiming he was badly out-coached by Paul Maclean. I thought he did an excellent job last night. Another common criticism of him is that he can’t make in-game adjustments, which I think is bs.

75. DipsyDoodler says:

Actually during the game thread, when we are outshooting them 3 to 1, a few of the usual suspects were having a go at Therrien.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

76. Mattyleg says:

Interesting analysis.
    But don’t expect too much support for Therrien.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

77. twilighthours says:

I loved the strategy and tactics the Habs employed last night. Therrien definitely outcoached Cooper last night, in my opinion.

78. L Elle says:

I think Therrien has learned from and improved since last season’s experience. Can’t ask for more, really.