About last night …

BudajOtt

Some free advice for your Montreal Canadiens:
Don’t give Detroit 40-plus shots on goal Saturday night at the Bell Centre.
Carey Price is a great goaltender.
But Detroit is in a desperate fight for a playoff spot.
And the Red Wings aren’t the Senators.

The seven goals Craig Anderson allowed  Friday night – on a mere 23 shots – brought Ottawa’s Goals-Against total to 259.

No team in the NHL has allowed more.

Not Edmonton (257).

Not Florida (256).

When they visited the Bell Centre on March 15, the Senators led 4-1 with 3:22 left in the game. The Canadiens tied it in regulation and won in overtime.  The unlikely W keyed a streak that has seen the Canadiens win nine of their last 11 games.

Friday night in Ottawa, the Canadiens didn’t register a shot on goal until the home team had fired seven at Peter Budaj and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. But with their Norris Trophy winner sitting – I use the verb advisedly – at minus-2 after his first 37 seconds of ice time, the Canadiens tied the game before the first-period siren sounded.

Then they scored four more.

SEVEN unanswered goals. The embarrassing defeat, in their own building, just about eliminated Ottawa from the playoff hunt.

And it partially avenged the Canadiens’ ignominious five-game loss to the Senators in last spring’s playoffs.

I’ve qualified the degree of vengeance because the final score was misleading. The Canadiens were opportunistic and got brilliant hockey from their goaltender and top line. But they did not run the Senators out of the Canadian Tire Centre.

Ottawa had 43 shots at Peter Budaj. The Canadiens blocked 14, and another 21 Ottawa shots missed the net.

Corresponding numbers for the Canadiens: 23 SoG, Ottawa blocked 3 and four missed the net.

That’s 78 times pucks came off Ottawa sticks in the direction of Budaj – to only 30 directed at Anderson.

Again, if this degree of possession favours Detroit, it ain’t gonna be pretty at the Bell Centre – no matter how well Carey Price plays.

In his postgame media scrum, Michel Therrien described the game as “assez bizarre.” The coach used the word “character” at least four times in praising his team’s resilience. Therien also liked Jarred Tinordi and Alex Galchenyuk going after Ottawa players who had laid hits on their teammates.

Tinordi pounded out a solid decision over Eric Gryba, the Ottawa defenceman who knocked Lars Eller out of the playoffs last year.

Galchenyuk fared less well in a wrestling match with Erik Karlsson, whom the HNIC crew – taking a night off from Leaf-blowing to get in a little Sens-sucking – spent the night comparing favourably with P.K. Subban.

Karlsson did have more ice time: 22:33 to P.K.’s season-low 13:39. It will be interesting to see how Subban bounces back against Detroit on Saturday night.

To my rheumy old eyes, P.K. hasn’t been himself since the Olympics. But I can’t see why a slightly sub-par P.K. should have less ToI than Francis Bouillon, Mike Weaver and Tinordi – not to mention the stiffs patrolling that porous Ottawa blueline.

In an interview on RDS, Pierre LeBrun said he’d spoken on Friday to P.K.’s agent. Don Meehan told LeBrun negotiations on a new contract for Subban will not get down to brass tacks until after the Canadiens have played their last game of the season.

Fearless prediction: There’s going to be some tough talk between Meehan and Canadiens’ general manager Marc Bergevin. And if another team comes in with an offer sheet for the restricted free agent, things could get really interesting.

P.K.’s contract is not the only dossier on the GM’s desk, which has more hot potatoes than a poutine stand.

Andrei Markov is the pillar of the Canadiens’ defence corps. Bergevin has to retain Markov through the apprenticeship of Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu.

And then there’s Thomas Vanek.

The deadline-day acquisition has joined David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty to form one of the best lines in the NHL. As good as Brendan Gallagher was with DD and Max, Vanek plays on a whole other level from the mighty mite.

Playing on a good team for the first time in a long time, Vanek has been spectacular. He scores goals, he hits – Chris Phillips was the victim on the vanek pass that set up Pacioretty’s first goal – and he’s unselfish.

Vanek has a sky-high hockey IQ. He makes his linemates better and has meshed beautifully with DD and Max.

On L’Antichambre, Gaston Therrien said if the Canadiens offer Vanek what the Islanders did – $50 million for seven years – he would sign tomorrow. Therrien’s theory is Vanek will recognize the allure of playing out his contract with younger linemates that are just coming into their prime.

I sure hope so. And a decent playoff run might persuade Vanek his future lies in Montreal.

July 1 is a long way off.

April 16 isn’t. Between now and the beginning of the playoffs, the Canadiens have to improve several aspects of their game – notably scoring by their second and third lines and a power play that is 0-for-13 over the last four games.

But your Canadiens will still be playing in late April – unlike the team that knocked them out last May.

1. Forum Dog says:

When it comes to the roster and signings for next year, I think the Habs are in pretty good shape. If they do manage to keep both Markov and Subban, they’ll have the following under contract:

4 established NHL d-men (Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gorges)
    2 legitimate prospect d-men (Tinordi, Beauieu)

7 veteran NHL forwards (Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Briere, Prust, Moen, Bourque)
    3 young players who are NHL ready (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival)

So 16 players under contract for something in the vicinity of $62M. Assuming a $70M cap, that leaves them with about $8M to sign at least 2 full-time forwards and probably 1 full-time d-man.

Personally I think they have what they need on defense. Tinordi is ready to play full-time, and Beaulieu should be also. Pateryn may never play full-time with Montreal, but he should at least be useful as a depth player next year (though he’s an RFA).

Up front is where they need to spend some money. As much as I love him in Montreal, I don’t think the Vanek thing will work. PK is more important to the future of the team, and Vanek is gonna take up whatever cap space is left after they sign PK and Markov. If they could move out Bourque’s contract maybe, but otherwise I don’t think there is room for a long-term deal with Vanek. They’re probably gonna have to look at a lesser complimentary talent and hope to get more offense out of younger players like Galchenyuk.

Not a bad place to be though. Losing Vanek will hurt Desharnais and (to a lesser degree) Pacioretty’s production, so finding a good fit on their right side will be important, but they have a good mix of youth and veterans already in place for next year, which will give them options this summer.

Getting a bit ahead of tonight’s game with Detroit though, which should be a good one. Teams like Detroit are what MTL will face in the playoffs, so they will hopefully use it as a measuring stick.

2. punkster says:

Oh please give your collective heads a shake or two.

PK isn’t going anywhere.

MB will sign him.

Release the Subbang!!!

3. habsfan4ever says:

Being a very occasional poster, but an avid reader of all the posts of many of the astute and knowledgeable regulars on HIO, I would like to weigh in on the Subban thing.

I am inclined to agree with CJ’s post further down that PK is gone after this season but would pray that Front’s assertion that he signs would come to fruition!

Despite PK saying all the right things, I believe his awkward treatment by Therrien has gotten into his head and is a direct result of his questionable play.

I think Bergevin should take a long hard look at who he wants to keep going forward, at best a less than mediocre coach or an amazing talent and supreme asset.

When the season is over, regardless of how deep they go, send MT packing ,pay PK what he wants,within reason and sign him long term. Despite being a non Franco, this kid could be the face of our franchise for a long time to come. Remember the rocket? He wasn’t exactly a wall flower, pretty controversial! How many cups did they win with him?
    I personally would hate to see PK in any jersey visiting the Bell Centre.

Mr. Bergevin, do the right thing, Anybody in here agree with me?

Les Canadiens sont la!

• Ton says:

Mediocre coach!!! More like a winning coach…no one gives this guy enough credit……I watch him in french and english and he has certainly developed as a coach…….the best coach to coach in Montreal of all available coaches…….

4. Mr_MacDougall says:

Meh, the team just has to play half assed tonight with Price in.. He can handle 40 shots..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

New thread has arrived.

6. Bugs says:

Hey. How y’all doin? Right, right, that’s great; on to business,
    So this is a 15min breakdown of the game last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR2u81ZnyMU
    I should very much appreciate it if you would please closely observe the moment occurring between 12:40 and 12:44 and confirm to me that the term “SHELLSHOCK” cannot FAIL to be properly applied in this particular context.
    Thank you.
    Oh, and how ’bout The Acquisition? Not too bad, eh?
    Not too bad at all, no, sir.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

7. PrimeTime says:

Why are so many fans infatuated with Subban? Because he is a lightning rod to the media. I like him as a Hab and hope he signs with them because i think he is a dynamic player who will become a better Dman as he matures. But seriously, many posters act like teeniebobber girls over him. Do they really think GM’s would trade Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo straight up for him? Not a chance! PK is a fan favorite in Mtl but not nearly as much around the league.
    ********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

8. coltdiamond says:

I am in Montreal for my first live Habs game. Does anyone know where I could stop in to buy Habs gear that is not over priced?

• BJ says:

You’ll need to go to China for that. These days everything is over priced.

• Mattyleg says:

All Habs gear is expensive.
      The shop in the Bell Centre isn’t so bad, and otherwise, there are souvenir shops along St. Paul St. in Old Montreal that have plenty of older merchandise. I almost always get my stuff from those places, as they tend to have a better selection.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

THere is a pretty good shop on St. Catherines street which has a nice selection of Habs and other sports merchandise, can’t remember name though, sorry.

9. Ton says:

My thoughts on PK….were running a business here…..were winning without him making major contributions……think about it….how things have changed. He was one of the 9 D’s picked by Babcock but did not play…….I will give him this he’s one of the 10 best D’s in the league…….interesting if there were a draft for D’s whether he would be picked in the top 10. There is a trust problem with his coaches…..he cannot be trusted on the ice……that’s it that’s all………..what’s his worth…….what he is worth to your team at the present moment is the answer……..we got plenty of D talent and you don’t want to disrupt your salary structure on the team……Price makes 6.5 million and he is no doubt your best player on this team. It cannot be debated…..Price is your MVP. Subban was a second round pick for a reason…..high risk player with high rewards but he can hurt you. He will go for higher but his worth to me is 4.5 million per year. Unlikely he will accept this because he has a grand ego………Subban will be gone…..this will not end good.

• BJ says:

You could be right on that not ending well. Bergevin might be thinking that someone offers 8 M + per season, I believe it represents 4 first round picks. I would assume depending on who that team might be a lower tier team (it might be worth not matching) on the other hand matching 8 M send what kind of a message to Carey at 6.5 and Max at 4.5, and Vanek also looking at big $$$$$$$. So its going to be a tough call on Subban. Worst case scenario is arbitration and he gets a two year payday and then heads out of Dodge. To follow……

• Ton says:

my take let someone offer him 8 million…….I don’t think it will happen……but if it did I could take 4 first rounders…….first rounder do fetch roster players in return!

10. Chris says:

New thread.

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Last night’s game was so much like the last one except the 3 goal lead started right off the bat instead of the 3rd period. It is as if the Habs woke up and said to themselves “We’re losing to THESE guys???”. I thought the Ottawa D was better…guess I was wrong.

As for PK drama, we won’t know the real story until the summer. As for now, PK and MT/MB are both equally responsible for what is going on. PK is making mistakes defensively. It looks like he suddenly falls asleep sometimes or his “batteries” just drain. It is weird to see a guy so strong look so unbalanced sometimes. Anyway, if MT/JJ are telling him to play a simpler game, he should just do as he is told…that’s his job. If PK doesn’t like the style, he can tell his agent to get him out of here in the off-season. It is the same thing for us at our jobs. If we don’t like it, we still fulfill our responsibilities until we find something better.

As for MT, if he thinks benching PK is doing himself any favors…good luck with that. Maybe MT needs to examine his messaging. As for MB, he needs to look at who PK will play with going forward. Other young superstar D-men like Doughty and Pietrangelo have not played with guys like PK have played with (minus Markov). Is Gorges the guy going forward? I don’t know. We will see. One thing for sure, the key young D men in this organization have not improved this year. MB need to study why is that the case and make the necessary adjustments. If Beaulieu, Tinordi, etc. become busts, the Habs will not improve going forward.

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

I always keep my posts to hockey, but wanted to share this with you guys because it could be very helpful.

I’ll start by stating that I never have a balance in my credit cards, because interest is a waste of money, I use credit to make all my purchases for accounting purposes. I do my backing with Scotia.

I have been receiving calls from Scotia Bank trying to get me to sign up for a new CC, I was not interested because I already have two with a combined available credit of $15,000 which more than I’d ever need in an emergency, but nice to have available. The interest rate on these cards is a preposterous 19.99%. I asked the sales person that called me what the rate on the card he offered me was and sure enough 19.99%, so I told him that rate was ridiculous (in a nice way but insinuating that the offer was terrible) and told him about the other two cards I had and I’d only be interested if he offered me $50,000 at 10% or less.

To my surprise, he offered me 11.59% with a $30,000 balance but the first 6 months would be 0.99% interest. He also offered me debt consolidation, where I could combine all other outstanding short term debt on that single card (fortunately we carry no short term debt so it’s not an advantage to us). Consider that this offer would give somebody 6 months to make payments interest free against their outstanding short term debt makes it very attractive, interest payments can be devastating.

Just thought I’d share this, play hard ball with your bank, they will bend. Another example is when I renovated out home I received a $10,000 CC with 0% interest for 18 months because I suggested TD would give us 12 months interest free… It’s amazing how much they will reduce rates if asked/swayed.

I hope this helps somebody, apologies for annoying people that are here for the hockey talk!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Good of you to bother to post this to help others..I like your style! Can apply same thinking with phone and cable as well. Always advocate for yourself!

Very Best Regards..

Habs4LifeinTO!

24 cups and counting….

RDS are a bunch of Therrien homers. Not a word on PK benching last night. A very brief mention by and by in the main article but that’s it. I like RDS but their fear of “offending” Therrien or possibly suggesting he is doing something wrong is … homer.

14. Bash says:

Conspiracy Theory

MT is under strict orders to reduce PK’s “value” by periodically hanging him out to dry: benchings, questionable press comments, low minutes.

The theory (gamble??) is that PK could use a little ego reduction anyway and reining him in, so to speak, will not hurt his development in the long run.

Negotiations are a little messy but based on his described performance he signs long term for dollars that fit better with Markov’s numbers etc..

Okay…that’s crazy.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

15. Haberoooo13 says:

Interesting article on compliance buyouts:

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

16. doug19 says:

I agree Subban super power forward!!! Scotty Bowman would have done it!

17. 24AW says:

Galchenyuk and Eller has not impressed me this year IMO they’re not top 6 players, Galchenyuk maybe in a year or two or he could become another Eller. Maybe Eller don’t want to be in Montreal at least that’s the way he’s playing. If I was MB I would try and get something better for him in the off season. Gotta keep improving or we’re gonna be a 1-round play off team for years to come. Every team is trying to improve and we have to keep up or be left behind. making the playoffs is great but when you’re only around for a round or two of the playoffs it’s a money thing and the fans are not getting what they want for their money “A Stanley Cup” we don’t expect it every year in this new NHL but once in awhile would be nice ….

• Strummer says:

Both are still young and patience is required for Galch and Eller.
      Look at Nyquist (same age as Eller) for Detroit – he was developed slowly which is what Detroit has always done. It seems to have paid off.
      Eller needs to play big minutes in Hamilton to work on his game and his confidence. Galch is too good for CHL and not getting quality ice time in Montreal.
      These are the challenges of developing youg players.
      Hopefully management is up for the challenge

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Who would you rather have Kadri or Galchenyuk…thought so..be patient..Same with Eller but a little less so…

24 cups and counting….

18. Old Bald Bird says:

Cue rant

I don’t know why those of us who merely speculate that PK might look to move on sooner or later are so snidely treated by some on this site. After all, most are speculating not prophesying, but some here apparently know beyond a shadow of doubt that PK will sign here and for the long term. Frankly, you don’t know it and can make your case without reverting to supercilious sarcasm.

End rant

19. Sportfan says:

Please MB tell Vanek to stay! I really hope the Wild will be in a situation where they can’t afford to sign Vanek!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. Slackman says:

Great comment by JUST ME below pointing out that despite the habs scoring seven consecutive goals to overcome a 3-goal deficit, alleged Habs fans still find things to bitch and moan about.

“But PK was benched!” They proclaim, fingers accusingly pointed at Michel Therrien, The Enemy. When reminded of Max Pacioretty’s THIRD hat trick of the season, they grunt, grumble, and give a dismissive hand wave that would make Livia Soprano beam with pride. “Feh!”

I’m curious what will happen should the Habs ever win a Stanley Cup, which is the ultimate goal of a hockey team playing in the NHL. Will the habs fans bitch about something that displeased them in game 5 of the conference finals? Will Therrien still be Hitler-esque in their eyes? Should Subban play a rough 15 minutes during a game in the post season where he’s struggling, will the droves of rabid, snarling, drooling habs fans rant and rave about how they could run this team better than just about anyone else on planet earth, what with their extensive background in watching hockey?

Anyways. What can I say? Boone’s the ringleader here with the constant negative articles and self-contradictory criticisms of just about anyone who didn’t play a game that met his ridiculous standards. This incites a wave of posts in the key of “Yeah! YEAH! This teams SUCKS! They benched PK! Murray is slow! Bouillon is old! Gionta is short! Galchenyuk isn’t scoring 35 goals yet! Bourque is uninterested! Eller is struggling” etcetera etcetera etcetera ad nauseam. The habs won 8 of their last ten, have 95 points, have clinched a play-off spot, and have one of the best first lines in the NHL (What happened to all the Desharnais trade demands!? Where are the Desharnais haters!!! Seriously!?? Where did they all go??). This isn’t enough to please 75% (rough estimation) of the curmudgeons who post on here.

Whatever. I’m impressed with this team. They are still in rebuild mode and they’ve made the post-season 2 years running. Sure an early exit last season was heartbreaking, but if one takes into account the injuries that were piling on, it only seems logical. People should curb their expectations or maybe think about cheering for a different team.

/end rant

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• CH Marshall says:

“Anyways. What can I say? Boone’s the ringleader here with the constant negative articles and self-contradictory criticisms of just about anyone who didn’t play a game that met his ridiculous standards.”

That’s EXACTLY what Boone wants to sucker you into thinking!

• doug19 says:

You mean Boone is the one who sucks?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Love this post.. I always seem to be defending players on here. But I am learning to be careful who I engage with.. There some awesome regulars on here., Ukrain, HIB, Chris are the first three that come to mind..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

21. jimmy shaker says:

Who’s got the crib note version of the HNIC crew game yesterday? How were they to listen to? Took the game in on RDS. PK sucked the first period, glad he settled down. He’s really making this contract negotiations difficult right now with this form. Vanek is an elite player, WOW! It was definitely a great comeback, but with Ottawa’s 2 posts, their disallowed goal, the crazy vanek bounce luck pass that hopped over gryba’s stick right at the last second for patch, and marky’s lucky goal, it could’ve been a closer game. Bottom line is they got lots of breaks last night, and need to be way more engaged tonight from the start. The wings are flying and Pavel can only help that surge. Gustavsson playing tonight, beat the boys last time they met. Good game from Parros last night, great job MT getting him in there. Sucks C-bus lost, come on Winnipeg, beat taranna tonight for me!

Shaker out!

22. habkin says:

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts about PK. We are a hockey intelligent fan base. The Habs are a part of our life. I said this a few months ago. If PK leaves, our team will sag. Our defense is at best sub par and without PK it will be a chore to say the least to mend. I am getting sick and tired of how PK is being treated from Babs in Sochi to Cherry’s and PJ’s comments at times on HNIC. MT must go at season’s end for PK to stay. If not, some of you are right, he will be playing for the Rangers or Bruins and that would haunt us for a long time.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Amen brother. If the Tampa Bay game strategy we saw on Tuesday was a trial playoff run we are back to the Jacques Martin BS of playing not to lose rather than playing to win. We will lose to the Lightning if we continue with this nonsense. Therrian is incompetent and this “make PK abetter man” BS is nonsense. Is his play under Therrian getting better or worse? Look at the goalie situation in Toronto after the coaches similar comments.
      Can you imagine the difference in PK if Robinson and his positive reinforcement methodology had been allowed to come here. Therrian blocked this of course as he was threatened by the spectre of a real coach behind the bench with him.

23. Sportfan says:

For all you movie goers out there I suggest you check out Captain American, saw it last night, it was really good.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. howster says:

The Bruins will sign PK to an offer sheet. What’s the over/under on Stanley Cup finals with PK and Chara playing 30 mins a game

PK will learn from Chara, be reunited with Makcolm and the Bruins get to stick it to Habs

The 4 very late first round picks we get will be a small price for Bs to pay

For all this PK has never complained and been a real pro

I have been to several Sens games this year and if Karlsson had sat every time he cost a goal he would have averaged 10 mins a game but he doesn’t because his org and coach respect and believe in him

25. montrealtilldeath says:

You cannot have a thoroughbred horse trained by a stable boy. Therrian’s treatment of PK is atrocious. Every one marvels at Colorado’s Mackinnon. He is a real comer and is developing so well. Why? Because Patrick Roy knows how to treat a high quality young talent. In our first game against Coloradp Mackinnon made a major error which cost a goal. Was he benched? No!. Hw was right back out on the next shift and late in the game he was part of or scored the winning goal. He did the same thing a few nights ago in the Avs OT win where after a bad give away resulted in a goal. He came back and helped set up the winner in OT. Therrian is ruining Subban. PK must be allowed to be creative. He will never flourish in a journeyman defence role. There will be mistakes but his upside potential is tremendous. As for your comment he will get acknowledgement when he plays Norris trophy hockey; when we last played Ottawa and PK literally put the team on his back and generated the emotional push in the miracle late period come from behing win Therrian struggled to give only reluctant praise to PK. As I said “just a stable boy”.

26. habbernack says:

I would try Plec on left wing with Briere @ center and Gio on right wing and reunite the EGG line

27. CH Marshall says:

I’m beginning to think Subban would be better as a forward.

28. Storman says:

@ for Dennis and Danno

Danno is bringing me to tonight’s game
    as he has an extra Red Wing ticket for Dennis kane
    Oh and I can see Danno waving goodbye
    God it looks like Danno, must be the clouds in my eyes

They say Bell Center is pretty, though I’ve never been
    Well Danno says it’s the best place that he’s ever seen
    Oh and he should know, he’s been there enough
    Lord I miss Danno, oh I miss him so much

Danno and his brother will drink more than me
    Is a Bell Center hot dog considered a meal
    Our cheering gets slurred, after we start on rye
    Danno you’re a star in the face of the bell center sky

Danno is traveling tonight after the game
    I can see the red tail lights heading for Ottawa a city in pain
    Oh and I can see Danno waving goodbye
    God it looks like Danno, must be the clouds in my eyes
    Oh God it looks like Danno, must be the clouds in my eye

29. jeffhabfan says:

Well that was wild game. Love beating the sens now it feels so good. I think we need to clean up some things about our game before the playoffs.GO HABS GO.

30. dhenry1234 says:

All of this talk about PK signing offer sheets, and feuding with Therrien. All you are doing is making it worse. Just move on, focus on tonight’s win against Detroit, and enjoy the game.

Quit your Bitching.

31. Coach K says:

All of this chatter about PK has me wondering …

Who is more likely to be parading with the cup the next time it makes its way through Montreal? PK or MT (AKA …COY)? Or put another way, who is more expendable from an organizational standpoint? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Sure PK has an outgoing personality and its obvious that he absolutely HATES losing. In fact, I think his penchant for rushing the puck and trying to “do it all” isn’t showboating at all. It’s simply his non-verbal, on-ice way of “calling out” his team mates when they’re under-performing. I have no problem with that at all. That my friends is what we call “LEADERSHIP” and it’s most certainly not a reason to gut your team and hand a Norris winning defenceman to another team! Let’s face it, Montrealers know talent when they see it and Bergevin would be lynched from the rafters of the Bell Centre if he did that.

To those who would prefer Karlsson… I’m in Ottawa most weekends during the hockey season and work with a number of die-hard Sens fans during the week (yes, they do exist). Every one of them complains loudly about how Karlsson has regressed this season and the huge number of costly turnovers he generates. At worst, it can be said that he and PK have a number of similarities except one…PK is far more physical that Karlsson will ever be. The guy hits like a train and at about 30k/hr! You’ll never see Karlsson do that. All the PK detractors have to realize that the grass isn’t always greener and sometimes you just have to accept the flaws in each player and pair them with the right partners in order to maximize their talent. A stud shutdown D who can play 25-30 minutes a night would be ideal. You won’t get that in a trade without giving up a big piece or two in return. Clearly, that will kind of talent will need to be developed from within; which will take time.

I do agree with some posters here and would love to see Bergevin tune up the media for making PK a lighting rod for the sake of ratings. He’s done nothing on that front and its high time for him to step up and show some “character”. Am I wrong??

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• stevieray says:

leadership is not turtling and letting someone else fight your battles for you….with due respect to Karlsson..at least he answered Galchuk last nite..plus he has tattoos :)

32. Grallis says:

Hall for Subban ….any thoughts?

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

33. durocher says:

Boone mentioned the possibility of PK receiving an offer sheet.

If another team gives PK a salary of $5m to $6.7m, our compensation would be first-, second-, and third-round picks.

If another team gives PK a salary of $6.7m to $8.4m, our compensation would be the same as above, plus an additional first-round pick.

If you’re MB, do you let PK walk for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick? Or for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd round pick?

34. Old Bald Bird says:

I am coming out — so to speak.

I have a general interest blog in which I mainly post photos, often of family. Anyway, I posted some photos from the game last night, just amateur, compact camera stuff. Included are several pictures of me in my Beliveau sweater if you can stand the sight of this old mug and even one b&w of me in my Habs sweater way back in the mid-fifties. There are a few of the boys both in warmup and game.

I mainly wrote it for blog friends from other parts of the world but thought a few curious souls here might like to click through. At the end, I also embedded Stompin’ Tom’s ‘The Hockey Song’. I found the version from Canada Day 1993 in which he mentions ‘our’ Stanley Cup win.

35. DipsyDoodler says:

Paz – sorry I was on my phone. Here’s a more reasoned response.

1. Toronto will not make an offer sheet for Subban. First offer sheets are extremely rare, they are viewed as a hostile and Toronto and Montreal have friendly and overlapping corporate owners.

2. Even if Toronto were willing to do it, why would the corporate suits dream of marketing a guy who gets booed every time he touches the puck?

3. Why would PK sign for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in a full season in ten years? A team that has no immediate future? And why would Toronto give up four 1st round draft picks when they are not close to contending?

4. In a cap league overpaying for a player is a disadvantage. The Leafs would have to overpay for Subban (say $8M/season because Habs match any lower offer) plus give up drafting in the first round for four years. A bad deal.

5. If PK is the kind of player who ditches his team for one of their biggest rivals because of friction with the coach(*)… do we want him on our team?

6. And finally, PK will sign a longterm contract with the Habs at the going rate, which is somewhere between $6.5 and $7.9M per season.

(* he isn’t of course)
    —–
    Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

1) it’s not hostile if the host team welcomes it. I believe the Habs would welcome a way out of paying Subban 2 million more than Markov, 3 million more than Max etc. I do not think Bergevin and Therrien want Subban to become the highest paid Hab by far.

2) are you kidding? Signing Subban makes the Leafs instantly credible again, and a much better team as well. He’s a marketers dream. TV commercials, the whole package.

3) Toronto is Subban’s home town. He has family there. He has lots of friends and contacts there. Subban is worth way more than 4 first rounders to many people I think. It’s 10 years of star quality play.

4) this is not a bad deal for Toronto, see answers 2 and 3.

5) it’s a business move, totally understandable. It’s not personal.

6) if they offer 7.9 for 8 years , you might be right. But they won’t because it disrupts the whole salary structure on the team for a player who is clearly not the coach’s favorite

• DipsyDoodler says:

1. But then better to trade him.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• The Jackal says:

1) Highly assumptive – Habs would welcome a rival poaching their best player? No. And also, the Habs want to get out of paying PK and don’t want him to be the highest paid Hab? Is that a joke? No offense, but that is pure conjecture.

2) Leafs would be good with PK but they’d screw their future – they don’t have many good prospects and four picks is a huge price for one player. Not to mention they don’t have the cap space and they have Gardiner and Reilly for much cheaper for more years. Sure, PK would definitely help but it would handicap the Leafs by precluding signing any other player, including those they need to re-sign this year, and from having 2 first round picks, a second round pick, and a third.

3) Sure, TO is his hometown, so I guess Vanek is also gonna run to Minny. PK is a Habs fan and so is his dad, wearing the CH is a dream for them. Let’s not pretend there is some sob story about PK being maligned by MT and MB and being run out of town – there is no such thing.

4) Very bad move for TO. That would result in Kessel, Phaneuf, PK, Clarkson and Bozak using almost HALF their cap space. One day they will need to sign Bernier and Kadri, give JvR a raise, etc. Not a good deal.

5) In this case, the move would be personal and you are assuming that it is personal due to the supposed animosity between PK, coaching, and management.

6) This whole salary structure and coach favourite thing is a non sequitur. How does it follow that PK won’t get the market rate because he is not MT’s favourite? The bottom line is – is PK an asset worth his market value and would losing him be highly detrimental to the team? Yes and yes. Done deal. Not to mention he is an RFA and the best D the Habs have and will have for who knows how long.

I understand you’re a big PK fan – so am I – but I don’t get these highly presumptive notions about PK, MT, and the Habs view of PK. Even if it were true that MT and PK don’t get along that well, that doesn’t make these things true or sufficient or necessary for any of what you suggest.
        PK gets coached hard sometimes because he is expect to be the best and to stop making those mistakes he keeps making – these can’t be something he does as a bad habit, he needs to get that out of his game. Let’s not forget PK won the Norris last season under that kind of tutelage. Some say it was in spite of MT but if that is true then we can also say this off season is in spite of MT as well.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• The Jackal says:

Agree here, and just to add, TO does not have the cap space to sign PK or any player of that value. They will have about 12m left to sign Bolland, and a few others, and Bolland would take up half of that 12.

Also, 5 is not true, but if it were, that is not the kind of player you want for “character.”

Lastly, it’s bloody ridiculous – the talk about PK leaving town because MT and he don’t see eye to eye – that’s A) conjecture and B) not a sufficient reason anyway.

Look folks, PK has been off since the Olympics, but it’s not something to do with MT. iMO, PK has been trying too hard since coming back to be a better player – he’s thinking too much and making bad decisions. Not getting ice-time on the Olympic roster has driven him to want to be better and prove Babcock wrong per se, but he’s in his head about it.
      Yes, our coaching staff has been hard on him, but he’s our best player and they recognize that – he has to play like he is the best too. Other players get benched too, so let’s not pretend it’s just PK.
      Finally, PK is young and still improving, but he is near his prime and he needs to stop making those silly mistakes that he makes routinely – he needs to get that out of his game before they just become bad habits.
      I won’t presume to know what PK needs or what the team should do in this situation, as others are wont to assume, but I will say it’s a safe bet that the team is 100% invested in PK succeeding with them and that PK is on the same page. All players have off season. PK needs to get back to basics and just focus on playing a simpler game.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CH Marshall says:

They wont boo Subban if (and i say IF) he becomes a Leaf. The media and fans would cream themselves.

36. JohnBellyful says:

PK could help his own cause and get back to playing better hockey if he adhered to the KISS approach (Keep It Simple, Subban): forgo the fancy stuff and stick to the basics.
    But not to the point of playing Subdued, of course.

37. La Duke 16 says:

At this point I would rather resign Vanek and let PK go.

38. Dennis says:

Danno and his dad and brother are coming down from Ottawa for the game tonight and he has a ticket for me! What a great guy and it’s so much appreciated. http://dennis-kane.com/a-gift-from-danno/

Dennis-Kane.com

39. CJ says:

Firstly, my head hurts. More so from all the PK talk than the beer last night.

Best case scenario, PK returns to last year’s version and we are left to argue whether it’s $7 or $8 million that he gets this summer. Do I think he is trending like Tyler Myers, no. That said, he controls his destiny. Sure, the coaching staff and defensive partners likely haven’t helped, but PK needs to break out. The kid can do it. He is a blue chip stock!

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree CJ. PK has a skill set seldom seen. I still think its a mental/confidence thing. Having him paired with 125 year old Cube hasn’t helped. Perhaps when Gorges returns he’ll settle in.

• CJ says:

I think so Jim. Like a stock there are periods of fluctuation and volatility, even among the best and biggest names in the business.

Was PK like Bre X last year, or is he like a McDonald’s? I think this is a blip, a low point on his career graph. He has too many tools to be cast aside.

• Forum Dog says:

Haven’t gone back and read the board, but if the chatter is about not resigning Subban, it is crazy talk. PK might not be playing his best hockey right now, but he hasn’t had a solid partner recently to help with defensive responsibilities and, as often seems to be the case, the coaching staff comes down hard on him.

He is the best d-man Montreal has, Markov included, and has huge long-term upside. Also, not sure if any else saw his interview with Friedman last night, but he is an incredibly thoughtful and articulate person who understands and embraces the Montreal market.

Not signing him would be gross negligence on the part of management. But since I’m 100% positive MB resigns him, and for big (well deserved) money, there should be nothing to worry about.

• CJ says:

I’m all for signing PK. My only two cents, my opinion only, is that he has played his way out of $8 million plus per season. Realistically, considering the market, external factors, ext., I believe he is worth $6.5 to $7 million. Unfortunately he is worth more to Montreal than Montreal is worth to PK. As a result, we are likely going to overpay by up to a million dollars per year.

40. Hello from Sunny Minneapolis.

PK looks awesome in all of this, players make mistakes every game and they don’t sit. PK gets the bench, doesn’t complain and then plays again. But it must be hard for him knowing every time he makes a mistake he gets the bench. He doesn’t get Norris treatment, the coach won’t talk him up when he plays well, and PK in all of this takes it all in. The Habs are gonna pay for all of this and we can thank Therrien for it.

This summer should be interesting, one side will say you don’t deserve a big contract, and the other will bring out everything about Therrien, and his treatment compared to other players. I love hockey drama. :lol: it wouldn’t surprise me if during the negotiations PK says “I’ll sign for 32mil/8 years but you got a make Therrien the stick boy”

Anyway, we are off to have breakfast with Sid and Mario, Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

If he plays Norris like he will get Norris like treatment perhaps

• Habfan10912 says:

Hiya Shane. You know there is no bigger PK fan then me but his play in the first 5 minutes last night was as bad a performance I’ve seen from any defenseman this season. For whatever reason he needed time to clear his head. When he returned he was a different player.
      While I nod in favor that his venching was too long, I find it hard to argue with the results.
      Have fun in Minny!