About last night …

Mission

Your Montreal Canadiens are in the playoffs.
But unless their Tuesday night performance in Tampa Bay was an aberration, we may see a repeat of last spring’s first-round fiasco.
Riding a five-game winning streak into the home rink of a very good hockey team, perhaps the Canadiens were due for a letdown.
What we saw, however – particularly in the third period – was a collapse.

Michel Therrien began his post-game media scrum by accentuating the positive.

Results elsewhere guaranteed postseason hockey for the Habs. Therrien said the Canadiens’ objective of making the playoffs had been attained.

Therrien had the right to be satisfied. Many pundits and fans thought the Canadiens would struggle all season and go down to the wire to ensure a playoff berth. I didn’t think they’d make the cut.

But with five games to play, we know there will be mid-to-late April hockey in Montreal.

Will the Canadiens still be playing in May?

Not if the 3-1 loss to Tampa Bay was an indicator.

The score flattered the Canadiens. If Carey Price hadn’t played what may have been his best game of the season, the Lightning would have won 6-1.

“We played back on our heels,” Therrien said. The coach cited “too many turnovers”, adding “you can’t take eight penalties and expect to win.”

“It hurts your tempo and disrupts time on ice,” Therrien said.

ToI was particularly discombobulated in the case of P.K. Subban. Last season’s Norris Trophy winner played a season-low 17:48.

That less ice time than Douglas Murray. But P.K. will get a chance to catch up during the suspension Murray is going to get for that absurd elbow on Mike Kostka.

P.K. averages 24:52 per game this season. In Tampa Bay, he had less even-strength ice time than any other defenceman dressed for the game.

If there’s a logical reason for this, I’m afraid it eludes me.

But the Canadiens didn’t lose because of P.K.’s low ice time.

The loss was a team effort. And the list of players who had an off night would include every player in a white jersey – with the exceptions of Carey Price, Mike Weaver, Ryan White and Michäel Bournival.

Similarly, Tampa Bay’s win was a team effort. The Lightning are a fast, tenacious and well-coached team. They pressured the Canadiens into ill-conceived plays, bad decisions and lazy penalties.

With his team leading 1-0, Lars Eller was called for holding in the Tampa Bay zone. With the game tied 1-1 in the third period, Eller took another O-zone penalty, this time for a trip.

Paroled from fourth-line duty, Eller had more penalties than shots on goal. He is playing his way out of Montreal.

With another year on his contract, Daniel Brière will be staying put. The veteran who is supposed to elevate his game at this time of the long season played played a shade over eight minutes against Tampa Bay and had the grand total of one shot, which was blocked.

Brendan Gallagher was opportunistic in tipping his 19th goal of the season past Ben Bishop. Alex Galchenyuk kept the puck alive in the Lightning crease and drew an assist on the goal, as did Weaver.

That’s your highlight reel.

Bishop was untroubled for the rest of the game – including the four shorthanded situations during which the Canadiens managed two shots. This while Price was standing on his head to keep the score respectable.

In his chalk talk on L’Antichambre, Gaston Therrien showed an example of Tampa Bay’s relentless forecheck. The only Canadiens’ defencemen capable of handling that kind of pressure, TV Therrien said, are Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban.

And P.J. Stock, not my favourite panelist on the show, made a good point when he said that with five games left to play, Therrien is STILL juggling his lines.

As a reward for how well they played in the second half of March – starting with that crazy comeback against Ottawa – the Canadiens are staying in sunny Florida until Thursday. Then they fly to Ottawa for a Friday night game against the loosey-goosey/nothing-to-play-for Senators.

On Saturday, the Canadiens are home to the playoff-hungry/everything-to-play-for Red Wings.

In addition to figuring out his third and fourth lines, Therrien will have to cope with the likely loss of Murray, whose physical presence on the back end would be an asset in Ottawa.

There’s time for tinkering before the playoffs.

1. rhino514 says:

Anywhere I can find what the habs record is in 1 goal games?
    Even better would be to find games lost and won scoring into an empty net, as essentially those are one goal games.
    I´m pretty sure the habs would be in the upper third of the league this year in said stats.
    You always need a bit of luck in close games to have a successful season.

2. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

An interesting dynamic has emerged. Therien and company continue to enjoy results. That can not be overlooked, nor should it go unrecognized. However, are these short term results at the expense of a long term gain? Hear me out…..

Can you have it both ways? Can you win now, while developing for the future? IMO the answer is yes. I don’t know that there is a better example than Boston or Anaheim. They continue to build around a core of players and have augmented and supported this group with key veterans and youth. Look at the age of the players on defence in Boston. Chara is the elder statesman, followed by Boychuck who is 30. You drop down to 28, 26, 24, 22 and 20. Anaheim is very similar with three players (all having played over 40 games) aged 22, 21 and 20. Contrast that with our group who played last night – 38, 36, 35, 34, 27, 24. Age is just a number and you can only work with what you have, but at some point I think we need to acknowledge the fact that not having ONE of either Tinordi, Beaulieu or Pateryn in our everyday lineup all year is going to hurt us going forward. Sure, it’s probably too late now. We are going with the guys we trust. I don’t agree, but I get that.

So, have we missed an opportunity, or are we in a position to take a step forward next season? I have followed stock indicies for half my life. I understand that things are constantly in motion and that there are ups and downs. Past performances have no correlation with future results. My concern, and perhaps it is unfounded, is that – Price aside (credit needs to go to Waite) – is there anyone on our team 30 and under, who is better this year? Ryan White, yes, but he doesn’t have the coaches’ trust. Anyone else? This is my primary concern. When I look around the league teams are winning on the strength of their 30 and under stars. I don’t know that this is the case in Montreal. Our best player not named Price is PK, yet he is but a shell of his former self. We are going to give PK $8-$9 million a year, $2.5 more than Pietrangelo, yet he is not as good a player overall. Is is just me or does something not add up? PK needs to own this, but where is the support? Nobody in the league partners their #1 and #7/8. That’s not putting your star in a position to succeed.

Short term success at the expense of long term success makes sense to me, provided you win now. I don’t know that I will view this as a successful season if we simply extend a first round series to six games before losing. IMO, following the acquisition of Vanek we have made a strong statement that we are committed to winning right now. The results last night are the only thing that is different from the previous three weeks. To be quite honest we have not been the better team on most nights. We have a good period, then we fall back upon ourselves. 60 minutes are what win hockey games. Not 20-30.

In closing, I’m not giving up, nor am I jumping ship. Anyone open to discussing further? Cheers, CJ

• Caesar says:

I would say DD and Max are better than they were in each of the last 2 years. Does Vanek count? Cause he ios doing great with us too.

• Mattyleg says:

I think a lot of our younger players are better this year than last year, starting with Bournival. He’s fit in very nicely, and had he not got injured, there’s a good chance he could have moved up the depth chart.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher have both improved, in my mind. Gallagher has become more consistent, while Chucky has worked on his defensive game to be able to slot into the centre role.

Tinordi has looked more at home in the Big League, which is also heartening.

Anaheim has 4 defencemen who are 30+, too, don’t forget.

I’m not worried about the youth.

• Cal says:

Experience on D counts in the playoffs, especially with no forwards on the team that can be called “stars” or the especially flattering “superstars”. Dmen take longer to develop and all I read here is about Beaulieu and Tinordi making the D so much better. They don’t; at least not yet, so keeping them on the farm as long as possible is a good thing.

• Paz says:

Excellent post CJ.

3. boing007 says:

Borque’s a Dork. Bring up Louis Leblanc.

Richard R

4. Mattyleg says:

Just bought my playoff ticket package.
    Going to the 2nd home game in Round 1!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Perhaps Murray needs to be equipped with a loud horn, something a large barge would be equipped with. Every time he reaches maximum speed (about 3knots) the horn immediately starts blaring, thus warning opposing players of the iceberg which has begun to move through the causeway.

6. DipsyDoodler says:

I hate to say I told you so but back in the summer the H I/O consensus was that the 2nd best team in our division was Ottawa, and the 3rd was probably Toronto.

I said that we were safely 2nd nest (hadn’t counted on Tampa), and that Ottawa and Toronto would not make the playoffs. In particular I saw Ottawa as a very poor hockey team that got bailed out by insane goalkeeping last year.

I also opined that Paul MacClean, whose idea of strategy is “run the goalie”, might be the opposite of a good coach whenever some of you mused about his French language abilities and suitability to replace Therrien one day.

So now, the walrus has one last chance to send out his headhunters. You can be sure they will run at our goalie, which is why I hope Budaj gets the start.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

7. joeybarrie says:

Its funny to me how some of us, again, thought our team is going to struggle and not make the playoffs. Despite having a great regular season last year.
    We end up 4-6th as typically expected, at least by me.
    Already we are predicting failure in the playoffs based on one game.
    ESPECIALLY considering we are 8-2 in the last 10. Second best record in the league right now, and still….

• olematelot says:

That’s the way it works on here, a loss and we’re doomed to the depths of failure for the rest of time.

• Drive4twenty5 says:

Everyone is a GM and a pro coach on this site lol. It’s amusing, but certainly don’t take it to heart.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

8. This is how you sort out horrible parents. I am sick of it all, and hope parents finally realize that your job is to get them to the game, sit in the stands and cheer, then take them home.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• bwoar says:

About time. Winnipeg parents are crazy. This city is a fightfight wrapped in a donnybrook shrouded by broken vodka bottles and stale cans of Lucky. The backwards people who shove their kids into hockey and do this stuff were pushed out by even more senseless late 70′s zombies who still think the Tubes were a rock revolution and that the mullet just, like, lives on, man.

Then you go to Lindenwoods or Island Lakes or, ugh, Sage Creek and just wanna kill everyone ELSE.

HIO after a loss seem as sober as the Supreme Court, compared to everyday Winnipeg.

• Drive4twenty5 says:

I quit hockey when I was 15 because I could not take other kids parents. Think their kids were going to make the NHL in Bantam B.

9. shiram says:

@Missy_Zielinski

BREAKING: Mike Kostka has been diagnosed with a concussion. There’s no timetable on his return. #TBLightning

• Kooch7800 says:

Hopefully he is back before the playoffs. He isn’t that great of a D man. He could be replaced by someone better

This will not help Murray as the Giant Wheels of Justice roll.

• shiram says:

Can’t be more than 5 games.

Realize that, but I think that takes any chance of a 2 gamer up to the 4-5 range now.

• shiram says:

Could be, I thought he’d get 3 minimum, but then it’s hard to predict what Shanahan will decide.

I have to say though, that I think that type of hit absolutely warrants the suspension, and I’m ok with up to 5.

My first reaction was 5 games, thought forsure he was getting inperson hearing.

I like Murray, i don’t think he meant to catch Kostka in head, but he needs to be responsible for his actions, albeit slow actions.

10. Cal says:

Last night’s game for the Habs was all about how great a Florida vacation is at the end of a long, miserable winter. MT rope-a-doped Cooper into thinking his team is so superior all they’ll have to do is show up come the playoffs. Then, imagine Cooper’s surprise when Brière and Bourque are unleashed!

11. Mats26 says:

I honestly think Diaz and Gryba knocked the hockey sense out of Eller last April. Don’t underestimate the long lived cognitive impairment. I would not be suprised if Eller has a great year next year.

I hope Murray is suspended for 5 games and Tinordi gets to play the next 5. Would be huge for our playoff chances. Murray struggles against speed teams like Tampa. No problem with Murray playing in a series against Boston.

• Kooch7800 says:

No offense but I have seen Tinordi make a lot of errors out there as well and Murray is better on the PK than Tinordi.

Tinordi also struggles with the first pass out of the zone. In my opinion Tinordi should be in the minors and Pateryn should be up.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey guys, the Habs record the last ten games is 8-2! That’s pretty good no?

13. frontenac1 says:

Ok amigos. Friday vs Sens. They will be out for blood and will be doing the rough stuff. Out; Murray,Moen,Prust,Weise. A wounded Parros. That leaves Whitey to handle Neil,Kassian,etc. Why not call up Tarnasky,Dumont, and any other tough guys? The game means nothing to us anyway. Why risk some of our regulars?

• shiram says:

At this point, Tanarski might be a better idea than Blunden.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Tinordi will be in, and I would expect Therrien to instruct our guys to let sleeping dogs lie. Last thing we want is wasted energy and risking injuries against a team that’s already out for the season.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• frontenac1 says:

Forgot about Tiny amigo! I would still call up some muscle from the farm and sit some regulars. I got a feeling the Sens are going to be nasty. Why risk it?

• CJ says:

Good morning Front. Sadly, I think the entire organization has forgotten about Tinordi.

• monmick says:

I will be at the game, so maybe Mavid and I can step in if things get out of hand. Seriously, though, Murray’s likely suspension give us an excuse to call up someone from Hamilton; but who? I wish Alex Henry was still with the Bulldogs…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Kooch7800 says:

Tinordi is a pretty tough kid but he doesn’t have the same fear factor that Murray has out there. Murray is a beast in front of the net and he can toss them.
        We are not doing well in the sick bay. Hopefully Weise and Prust and moen are all good for the playoffs

• monmick says:

Sens should not yet be mathematically eliminated by Friday, so maybe things won’t get totally crazy….

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

14. WindsorHab-10 says:

How many games does Murray sit?

15. OK, enough of the Eller discussion and if Murray is a dirty player. How about Bourque? When does he get bought out? What a waste of a roster slot! Another forward with good size who is floating (Eller redub)

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• shiram says:

I don’t think Eller is floating, he’s just seems to have lost some hockey sense.
      Bourque should be squeezed out this off season, there will be plenty of players that give their whole out there that will need new deals.

• Agree on Eller, but he did improve when he spoke to the sports psychologist. Get his number and make an appointment for Eller again!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Kooch7800 says:

Bourque will not be a hab next year. God willing neither will be Briere

• shiram says:

Brière’s got more leash than Bourque though.
          He will have to shine in the playoffs.

• monmick says:

Need to play to shine…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Kooch7800 says:

Briere def has more leash than Bourque but he has to deliver. For what he has brought to date you would be better off having a rookie play and develop.

I don’t agree with Monmick, Briere has had lots of opportunities and has very rarely delivered for more than a game or two looking decent. He hasn’t warranted top ice time.

Bourque’s goose is cooked. He has to have a strong showing for the end of the year so he can get traded. Hopefully he steps it up as well in the playoffs

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I’m sure he’s done at season’s end unless he surprises us in the playoffs.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Problem is that: 1) unlikely to move RB unless you get another ‘disgruntled’ player in return 2) can’t bury contracts in the minors anymore 3) Habs have no remaining compliance buyouts. So, in any case, valuable cap space is used up while the organization tries to sign PK, Vanek, Markov and/or their replacements.

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

16. Black Horse says:

The only positive going into the playoff s is Carey F. Price. The negative – he can’t score goals. The PP stinks. Most of the “D” stink. MT is still juggling lines with 5 regular season games to go.

Montreal will not win this series scoring one or two goals a game. Bishop is huge yes but unbeatable no! Fast cross crease pucks he is soft on & high shots because for a huge tender he plays on his knees a lot.

Lets see what Vanek & Mr. Playoffs will do.

17. Mr_MacDougall says:

PK’ ice time = classic hangover coverup.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

18. shiram says:

I really don’t like Chris Lee, and I think it was something like Sobotka that was the other ref last night?

I don’t like to complain about refs, they do have a tough job, but last night was just completely bonkers.
    Botched calls that lead to make up calls, to phantom calls.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Very tough job, but Lee has it out for the Habs.. Remember the Washinton series a few years back… The most biased officiating I’ve seen in my life at any level (exception being the women’s gold medal game in Salt lake)

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• shiram says:

He’s recognized as bad all around the league though.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Gambling addict ;) he should never have bet the house on Ovi and the Caps hahah

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• olematelot says:

I was at the game last night and have to say the quality of the officiating wasn’t worthy of pee wee house league. Some of the calls were absoutely mind boggling. The calls on Boullion, Emelin and 1 of Ellers’ were a joke. When they announced Lee as being one of the refs I looked to the rafters and uttered “were f*^#*!. I also believe he trained his oppo Pocharma(sp).

• Black Horse says:

Murray should have given Lee the head shot!

• 44har48 says:

I strongly believe in sports Refs are human and will make mistakes like players and coaches. I also believe you have to play well enough to overcome bad calls and mistakes in order to win.

Having said that, it is obvious when Chris Lee calls Habs games, the Habs are killing penalties throughout and lose the majority of them (would love to have stats and not my anecdotal, but I would bet money on this).

Its my belief he thinks we are small and when we are tripped, etc, its just our size that we can’t keep our feet, or we are diving, which PK has also set that precedent and brought this onto us. When the other team falls down and we are near them, it must be us trying to use our sticks and grabbing on because we have no size and we must have hauled them down to stop them from advancing the puck.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, pretty poor job all round.
      That ‘tripping’ call on Emelin who was trying to pick up his stick and ‘tripped’ the TB player with his head was pretty rich.

• monmick says:

I am not sure it was Lee that made the calls, but the Goudas holding penalty on Eller (Brière actually should have been called for cross-checking on that play) and the Filppula tripping penalty on Galagher were total jokes. Galagher actually fell on his own…

So the issue was more incompetence rather than bias…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Caesar says:

best part is why did Emelin drop his stick? It was chopped out of his hands….that’s a penalty

• Complain Shiram, complain! Lee is an unprofessional embarrassment to anything resembling big league refereeing. It’s a shame that these zebras are employed and answer to nobody. Both teams last night had phantom calls and why he is still on the ice should start a revolution.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• shiram says:

I’m usually lenient in my opinion on Refs, I feel like the league could do a lot more to help them out, but they simply don’t.
        But last night was just too bad not to mention it.

Habs play last few games reminds me of their play around november. Winning games they shouldn’t… saved by the goalie. This kind of sh!t will catch up with them in the playoffs unless these stiffs decide to skate for 60 minutes and not 20. Also, COY needs to play Bouillon more – your #1 dmen needs to get close to 30 minutes per game.

20. Mr_MacDougall says:

What’s with all the negativity? A few days in the sun takes a lot out of a person. The game last night is not worthy of analysis because the Habs didn’t show up, looked sluggish, and never really dictated the game, they were along for the ride.. Played at Tampa’s pace.

Give the squad a break, this game was bigger to the fans than the team. A little exhaustion and dehydration from being out in the sun. I don’t blame them.

Amazed at how Price battles, beyond impressive.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

21. habsr4ever says:

DD made a brutal pass to cost us the winning goal….let’s just call it how it is.
    Eller – two penalties in the offensive zone but seriously one was a WEAK WEAK call.
    Bouillon is the worst dman on our team and needs to sit the rest of the season. The guy continues to leave the front of the net vacant when his partner is behind the net. He continues to stay so WIDE in the offensive zone thinking he can score goals. I have no idea why Daigneault can’t see this and doesn’t tell me to stay close to his partner. He wonders constantly and makes BRUTAL reads on a rush. Takes for ever to get into position in his own zone and makes horrible outlet passes. I know I am ranting about this guy but holy smokes was he aweful last night. He has played about 5 really solid games this season. Would rather be developing tinordi than playing Booey cuz MT likes him.
    Habs made they playoffs and I am tickled pink we get the bolts in round one…..let’s be serious here – we don’t want to play Boston til round two….and we don’t want the wings…..and the leafs – well we know it would have been a war and would have taken a lot of energy out of us for round two…..Bolts are a perfect match-up for us…..i am totally ok with us starting on the road….get a split and we are off to the races.
    Prust and Weise will be back…..probably Moen as well….I just hope that means bournival doesn’t get sent to the press box. bourque and white to me are for sure two that sit over these guys….not sure who else but it could very well be Eller…..which would keep his contract price down…and yes i would still sign him at a good price this offseason….he’ll be a good player….$3 M times 5…sign him!
    Markov – games like last night make me thinks $5 M per is fair value…times 2 or 3 years….looked very slow….but still love the guy.

22. 44har48 says:

I love our outlook in 2 years, heck even next year, IF MB makes the right moves this summer. I have not been this high on our future in many years. Having said that, and I know I sound like a broken record and nobody wants to hear it, but we are doomed in the playoffs. This team is built to win in the regular season and when the whistles go away, our time and space is gone by playing good teams, we won’t score a lick. Vanek will stop us from being shutout on most nights, Price will keep us in games and maybe even steal a couple, but we will fall short.

You will see Boston dominate us in the playoffs if we meet them because they play and are built to win in May with their size and system. Our time and space that is desperately needed for our forwards to score the pretty goals they insist on scoring, won’t be there. conversely, teams will be allowed to get all over Price and we will let them like Weaver last night and many of our Dmen before him. That’s how you beat our great goaltender. Crowd him and put pucks on net.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Remember Plek shutting down the B’s top line (which was considered the top line in the league) for 7 games a couple years ago.. He can shut down most stars.. Stamkos will be in tough against Plek 5 on 5.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

23. jeffhabfan says:

That was not a good game.Against a team who we are going to play in the playoffs this year.We lost 3 out of 4 games this year to them so it will be real tough to beat them in the postseason.

24. Mattyleg says:

Thanks for the replies below guys, much food for thought.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

COY – that’s genius. Acronym of the year. Well done, jmac. A short word that encompasses so much – the genius, the coach, the mentor, the visionary, the father… all in one.

26. DominicanHab says:

Hopefully DM is out for 4 games or less. Then he can have a game, maybe two, to get back up to speed before the playoffs. He could use the rest anyways

• Timo says:

That’s what I said yesterday too… It’s not a bad thing for Murray to rest and for a change I didn’t mind seeing a Habs laying a dirty hit on an opponent.

• You should read all the Booins whiners on other forums calling for Murray’s head and how dirty the Habs are and favored we are. They really are a bunch of foaming at the mouth rabid brain damaged neanderthals. Can’t stand them or their Booins!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• frontenac1 says:

Not just other forums amigo. Check out some of the comments here last night. The squeamish were flipping out big time.

• twilighthours says:

Terrible play, Front. I wouldn’t wish it on your boy, that’s for sure.

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed. Murray deserves to sit . Probably 3 games. But some of the nonsense on here last night was ridiculous bordering on hysterical.

27. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Even though times have changed from the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s, I think it’s a cop-out that management has the primary goal of reaching the playoffs, rather then stating outright their goal is to win the Stanley Cup.

28. theox_8 says:

Holy Murray more minutes than Subby . Crazy world we live in .

29. DipsyDoodler says:

OK, this is good news. This is very good news.

The chef of the best Japanese restaurant in Montreal, Jun-I, has just opened a ramen shop.

See here:

Until about 5-10 years ago you had to go to Japan to get good ramen.
    Then you could get it in a few select places like New York City and Vancouver.

But now there is decent to good ramen here in Montreal.

Good ramen is right up there with the best things in life. Like top twenty. The Habs. Mahler. Red wine. Oral sex. etc …

I’m sure Juni will do it right.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• CH Marshall says:

You’re a Mahler fan? Mtl needs korean bbq

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Biting.
      What’s ramen?
      Favourite Mahler?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Favourite Mahler: all of it.

The Resurrection Symphony at the Royal Albert Hall was pretty awesome. Abbado conducting the Berlin Phil.
        —–
        Moving. Forward.

• colin_nowra says:

I was really looking forward to trying their ramen, tried to go last weekend but it was closed down due to plumbing issues.

Have you been to sumo ramen? Their ramen is really good.

• DipsyDoodler says:

No but thanks for the tip.

I’ve been to Kazu which is outstanding but you need to wait in line for ever to get in. Ramen-Ya on St.Laurent gets it right and they’ve doubled their size recently.

First time I went to Japan there was a ramen shop just outside my hotel, about an hour outside Tokyo.

I ate there every night.

It was so good, that even if I got taken out to dinner, I’d go there at midnight for a second meal.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

30. shiram says:

The reaction to Murray’s hit was all over the place yesterday.
    Many fans, Habs included, were clamoring for Murray’s head.. saying an apt suspension would leave him out of play until at least the second round of the playoffs, how he is a career dirty player also.

Of course many of those Habs fan feel like Murray is an anchor, and not in the solid stalwart kind either, for our team.

I thought it was most likely a 3 to 5 game suspension, and the news of him getting a phonecall confirms it.

Good chance for Tinordi.

Hopefully Kostka isn’t seriously injured, I haven’t read anything about him yet.

• Timo says:

Murray has been a stud. Anyone calling for his head should have his own examined.

Of course, Habs are still ok since they got Franky Bouillon playing top 2 minutes.

• shiram says:

I’m divided on Murray, on one hand he brings an element the team clearly needs, and there’s been much less scrum in front of Carey after whistles.

On the other hand, he’s getting (or used to I haven’t checked recently) extremely sheltered minutes.

I’d say it is Tinordi’s time to shine.

• Timo says:

How about it is Tinordi’s time to shine and Bouillon’s time to sit? Would you not like TWO guys who can clear the front of the net?

• shiram says:

I got nothing against Bouillon, but I would play him bottom pair, or maybe sit him, but for Beaulieu…

• Mavid says:

it would be nice..just once and a while if you could make a good point (as you did on Murray) without following it up with a bash about either MT, DD, or the cube..just once and a while..pretty please

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah, I called 2-5 games. Probably gets 3. No big deal. He could use a wee rest before the playoffs.

31. Habfan29 says:

Well after last night PK playing low minutes again I think that Bergevin has to make a decision this off season. Therrien or Subban. Why in GOD’s name would the habs pay $7 to $8 million per year for a guy that is going to only play average of 15 minutes a game. PK should be playing 25 to 33 minutes per game and in all situations, but with Therrien forget it, either play him or trade him for some scoring power up front. If Therrien is going to continue like this he will ruin PK just like he did Eller. Therrien has to go for a coach that will let the kids play and make mistakes, that is how they will get better. I guess that Molson is not worried about winning it all just making the playoffs to sell more beers. The habs are not winning because of Therrien, but in spite of him.

• DominicanHab says:

He averages over 24 minutes a game, not 15. Just saying

• Habfan17 says:

Here is a thought! instead of playing musical lines, maybe Therrien should bench the while line for a shift or two when one player is dragging his butt! Then his line mates will make sure he gets his keester in gear!

Habfan17

• habs-fan-84 says:

Enough with the hyperbole. As indicated above, Subban has averaged 24:52 minutes/game this season.

• Habfan29 says:

Why is his ass stapled to the Bench every time we are on the PK. enough with the Hyperbole, bullshit PK will continue to regress under Therrien. I did not like him last time either. It should not surprise anyone after listening to the way he bashed PK on L’antichambre. The Habs will go nowhere with Therrien as coach.

• Gotta second that. Don’t like MT. Never did. Believe Eller has been mismanaged, Gally as well. He was supposed to be a coach to bring along rookies, but favors the veterans and F’s up the rookies.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Kooch7800 says:

Subban is still not playing stellar hockey either though and is still learning. D is a tough position on sometimes PK who has a ton of potential makes some bonehead mistakes. He wasn’t playing in Norris form last night.

Eller on the other hand I don’ t get why MT gets all the blame. He had his mini outbursts of playing well under MT and quickly settled back into being a grinder with little offense. I don’ t think he played any different under JM either very similar point totals

• Habfan29 says:

How do you play stellar hockey when you get your ass stapled to the bench when you make a mistake? I don’t see that happening to Karlsson…..All I am saying you cannot get better unless you play in all situations and when you are down 2 to 1 and need a goal you have to play PK, no brainer…..

• Kooch7800 says:

25 min a game he isn’t stapled to the bench.

I am not an MT fan but I don’t think PK is the easiest of players to coach either. There was a reason why team Canada looked at him as risky.

32. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

It’s never too late to fire the coach!
    :wink: :twisted: :???: :!:

33. twilighthours says:

“Murray, who struggles with positioning, knew he was getting beat and just shoved his arm out as a reflex, last minute action.”

Replace “Murray” with “Kyle McLaren” and then, in your mind’s eye, visualize Richard Zednik lying on the ice in a pool of blood.

34. WindsorHab-10 says:

Problem with this team despite a winning streak here and there was still is and will always be Michel Therrien & staff. Defend him/them) all you like but until they’re replaced we are who we are.

• JUST ME says:

Until you find a replacement to complain about right ? Yes we are what we are a maybe better than decent team but one that still needs improvements as everyone said and knows. That team with the coach worked hard to get where they are and deserve their spot in the playoffs.

• ont fan says:

Replace him with who?

• Mattyleg says:

Problem with your posts is that they’re all about Therrien and only about Therrien.

I get the impression you don’t really understand hockey at all, possibly don’t even watch the games, but just rag on the coach because it’s easier than actually analysing play or players.

If you understood hockey, you’d know that it can’t be just about the coach.

This should get you started.

I know there’s a lot of writing, but try to get to the end of it; it’ll improve your enjoyment of the sport immenseley.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Matty you are an arrogant piece of crap. Don’t give a shit if you like my posts or nor, I say what I want & when I want. Agree or disagree you have no right to judge or be rude & stupid. Since you’re rude & stupid I have one thing to say to you. KISS MY ASS

• Mattyleg says:

That’s not very polite.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

But well deserved.

• Mattyleg says:

Perhaps…
            Problem is, that I only ever read posts from you that complain about Therrien and nothing else.

I honestly am not sure if you’re able to talk about the players because you never do. You just complain about the coach like he’s the only problem.

• habs-fan-84 says:

With a different coach, how many more points would this team have?

• Habfan29 says:

maybe less, but I would expect more. Therrien cannot make in game adjustments and that is troubling, happened last year against Ottawa and happened last night as well.

35. jimmy shaker says:

I think MT will have to look at how the leafs easily have lit the lamp on Bishop this year and see if that can help the boys out. They are gonna have to be able to get 2 or 3 past this guy to win. Check out Price’s last two interviews vs florida and now tampa. This is a guy who is in the zone, and his play is proof. With the fourth line coming back and MT actually giving them regular shifts and gorges coming back, there is plenty to be optimistic about. Oh and MT stop shitting on your whipping boy Danny B and get him more than 8 min of ice, for the love of goodness anyways.

Shaker out!

36. jmac21 says:

You don’t remember the ” I hate Whitey” rants last year when he took some costly penalties?? Lol when the so call hockey minds wanted him off the team and out of hockey?? Lol it was funny as hell, no they are the ones that love what he brings. Wait a minute this sounds like something else …. Lol
    As for DD or Pleks on the 1st line , I’d take Pleks over 10 DD

37. adamkennelly says:

reason people are focused on Eller is because he does nothing out there – unless you count taking penalties and turning the puck over. he’s prolly fed up with MT and vice versa. Too bad tho – he has/had potential but its fading fast in MTL.

38. jmac21 says:

Eller is the target because he’s the coaches target and the writers
    Halak lovers and people that just read that Eller was bad, same people that hate Price because he has a bad night and the RDS clowns throw him under the bus
    There’s leaders and there’s followers

39. Steeltown Hab says:

I’ve said from the start Pacioretty – DD – Vanek would be wayyy to soft. They are, and when they were producing I could tolerate it but not surprised to see them get worked by a team that actually has defensive structure.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

40. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Price was frikkin amazing last night! That’s the kind of goaltending that will takes us deep this year. 9 penalties vs 4? Habs had 11hits and one was a Corker. Crankshaft will get a wee rest before the playoffs, but the Bolts will keep their distance from him next time! Saludos!

41. rljmartin says:

Murray hit, watched it several times in slow motion last night. Hard to say if it was the elbow that made contact. The position Kostka was in almost made it impossible for Murray to hit him without catching his head. Murray would have had to crouch down a lot to get below his chin. Kostka’s head was leading the rest of his body. With a calm demeanor and non-threatening tone of voice, he will get 2 games.

On another note, how many speedy Tampa forwards burned Murray last night? None, Habs need Murray for the playoffs. Nilan’s appreciation of his play his spot on.

• Kooch7800 says:

I thought the hit was clean. There was no intent to injure there. He got hit by a brick wall. His elbow wasn’t even close to coming up

edit…Saw a second angle and the elbow did come up a bit. I don’t think he meant to cork him the way he did but he will get a min of two games

42. Mattyleg says:

Here’s an honest question, not stirring the pot or anything…

Why do you think people have focused on Eller after this loss?

He wasn’t the only one who played badly – DD gave the puck away for the shorty, Vanek took a bad penalty after mishandling the puck in the neutral zone, PK dipsy-doodled (sorry Dipsy) when he should have been making clear outlet passes…

As Burly and Paz have pointed out, Eller’s just a 3rd/4th line player, who has limited minutes. Why have people jumped on his penalties as reasons for the loss, or for at least being a major part of it?

• Kooch7800 says:

Our top line was not great last night at all. Max looked decent but DD wasn’t great and Vanek’s foot speed was exposed a bit

• Paz says:

Because people’s nature is to find someone to blame, and Eller’s offensive contribution has been so minimal this year he is the perfect scapegoat.

Exactly like White last year.

Boone had literally blogged last year that he wanted White off the team, never to be dressed again. And many people agreed.

Eller is this year’s White.

• Kooch7800 says:

White is valuable. He has played well every year except last year. I think last year he was trying to hard and was trying to make the team tougher but he ended up hurting us on a few occasions.

He will be extended this off season

• Mattyleg says:

Really?
        I don’t remember anyone wanting White off the team, apart from the beginning of the season when he was taking those stupid o-zone penalties.
        Everyone acknowledged at least that White was willing to fight and skate his a$$ off, and that his passion was there, just not his brain.
        He worked on that, and came back into the lineup.

Do you think that people are annoyed because they don’t see Eller offering anything tangible, while getting bad penalties?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Eller is the new White.

Catchy.

Did you use to write for Vogue?

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

Not to mention that both were soft calls, what I thought were undeserved penalties. No way those two, plus Emelin’s “tripping” call get made in the playoffs.

• Ozmodiar says:

Eller’s been taking some pretty bad penalties lately. It’s a trend. People are taking notice.

The DD turnover was bad, but mistakes happen. He has his share of turnovers (expected from someone who’s always passing), but rarely coughs it up in dangerous places. I find DD’s play in his own end more troubling, TBH.

• twilighthours says:

I’m not blaming this or any loss on one player, specifically Eller.

But when a player takes two offensive zone penalties, he’s open to criticism.

• frontenac1 says:

Maybe because of 2 O-zone penalties last night and more bone head plays recently. Something just not right with Lars. Maybe he needs to sit, like last year. He came back like a true Viking then. Saludos!

• jimmy shaker says:

I think because those guys are producing. Eller not so much. If he was skating, taking the body and playing intense when he does have the ice than I don’t think he would be relegated to the 4th line. I think this guy slots in nicely on the 3rd line, but he’s got to be better. Not necessarily point wise, just in the little things that mostly go unnoticed except by the players and coaching staff.

shaker out!

• Phil C says:

I started the pot stirring on Eller today. I never blamed him for the loss. I am pointing out that he has been playing poorly for a while and provided some stats to support my position.

Another question is why so many posters support Eller despite poor play? Even if this means you support a more deserving player to sit. I see a Warren Harding effect in how people view Eller. Harding was one of the worst US presidents but people voted for him because he looked presidential. Eller looks like the big centre we need on paper, but the performance is not there.

43. Gerry H says:

I know I’ll take it in the neck for this – and I don’t say it to suggest that he is anything short of an elite player – but I am getting freaking tired of PK’s absurd little “keep-away” demonstrations. No matter what zone he is in, his tendency to dance around aimlessly with the puck while putting on a stick-handling and skating mobility clinic is perhaps good showmanship, but it’s lousy hockey in comparison to the always available simple play. The number of times it results in a turnover is unacceptable. The way it interrupts the flow of the game for his linemates has to be irritating and counterproductive.

When is he going to outgrow this?

• Ali says:

Pretty sure that one time he did it forever on the power play is the reason his ice time was what it was.

• Gerry H says:

He also did a few times in his own end, though not as ridiculously as on that PP. It’s the endless reverses, looking for the perfect outlet opportunity. One time, he almost lost the puck near Carey’s post. I think forecheckers have come to expect this from him and are playing it accordingly. He is winding up isolated, with one or more forecheckers boxing him in in his own end and the rest of the team well up ice waiting for the transition, out of reach.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Honestly, I feel like it’s only gotten worse since first breaking into the league. When he learns to distribute the puck more efficiently (read sooner) and also make the simple play (more often) he will be unstoppable. Until then, it will remain crystal clear why he only played one game for Team Canada.

• twilighthours says:

The Gorgesification continues.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Not true at all.
          Distributing the puck more efficiently and making the simple play does NOT limit the offensive side of his game. It does however, clean up some of the “holes” in his game. No player is perfect – there is always something a player can do to be better; Subban is no different.

• JF says:

I agree. P.K.’s most spectacular moments mostly achieve nothing.

44. Strummer says:

Like last night the last game the Habs lost which was to Columbus, they gave up a shorty. These are turning points in winnable games.
    2 minor lapses on a PP have kept them from being on one huge winning streak.
    Live and learn.
    ____________________________________________________
    It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

45. Steeltown Hab says:

Only caught the 3rd, but the Emelin, Eller, and Markov penalties were atrocious.

I’ve been fuming over that ridiculous drawn up break in for 3 weeks. Subban skates up for 3 strides and has to drop it to desharnais last man back to carry it in? Explain to me how DD who can pass, but not a great skater and soft puck carrier is given that job over Subban.

Ofcourse it leads to the grossest turnover we’ve seen this year. Ya worse than Tinordi’s

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Ali says:

crazy part is that it results in everyone else standing still at the blueline, and after failing once or twice and finally getting it deep, the other team will always get to it first because they’re already moving. can’t see how this is supposed to be a solution.

46. DipsyDoodler says:

The Lightning are built for the modern game, just like the Red Wings. This is a team with very little high end talent, but they have a fast skating intelligent way of playing.

If they didn’t have Bishop (or someone equally good) in nets though they’d be outs of the playoffs. They make a lot of mistakes.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• twilighthours says:

I agree with that. Over the last 40 minutes, when the Habs managed to get the puck in deep, there were definitely holes to exploit.

• Kooch7800 says:

They have good speed though. They made us look slow last night. They are actually not a good match up for us in the playoffs.

We both have speed and good goal tending. Our Defense should be better than theirs but their scoring is better than ours

47. jamman says:

Knowing its a virtual lock that we will meet the bolts in round one, I much would have preferred Price play the way he did and the team shitty as opposed to the team play well and Price play shitty. Just as Cal noted last night, He’s ready. The boys will be better.

48. JUST ME says:

After last night`s game and even after every game between those two teams this season how can we point a finger at one player more than another ? It is obvious to me that the team that wanted it more won . I mean team concept, everyone pitches in and wins his battles.
    See it as you want but those two teams are very alike and one must not take anything for granted on any side of the ice. Tampa worked hard as they should have and won the game that simple. If you want to end up the winner ain`t no passengers allowed and discipline ids the word. The Habs took the lead ,held on till the 3rd period but could not hold the pace because of the penalties . As simple as that.

49. jmac21 says:

DONT BLAME DD on this site for anything !!! Are you crazy it’s like saying Mike is a poor coach ;)
    I’m sure if we look back we will find that Most of the DD lovers were the same ones that hated him at the start of the year. Just like the Mikey supporters will hate fin when he’s fired. Same ones that loved Halak and wanted Price gone. Never liked Mikey, always said DD had skill, not 1st line Centre, and loved Halak for his run, but liked Carey’s skill and look at them now
    Opinions are just that

• Ozmodiar says:

You’re right about DD not being a 1st line C. If he was, he’d average more than 17 minutes per game, and be trusted to take all the faceoffs in the defensive zone in the 3rd period.

For years, folks have said Pleks isn’t a 1st line C, and he’s better than DD offensively and defensively. So, if Pleks isn’t, DD isn’t either.

50. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Re: Murray…

Intentional? I doubt it; he was lining of for the hit when the Tampa player swerved at the last moment to go around him. Much as a goalie’s reflective instincts take over in making a save, I believe that Murray threw out his arm to keep Kostka from getting by him.

Suspendable? Probably. Players need to be responsible for their actions on the ice. Douglas will have a couple of games to think about it.

The last time I saw a goalie make stops the way Price did last night was when Bower and Sawchuk shared duties for Toronto back in the 60s. What a wasted effort by the Habs on a night when their goaltender was in gold medal form.

Murray is toast. These are the type of plays by journeymen hockey players that the NHL disciplinary board loves to feast on. A very clear, black and white situation where they can show how serious they are about hits to the head. Might be time for Hab fans to buy a Tinordi jersey.

I understand MT trying to make sure that Subban learns how to play in a mature, responsible manner. All wild horses need to be tamed to some degree. But enough is enough. Both parties will be signing new contracts this spring so some kind of common ground must be established.

The demise of Lars Eller breaks my heart. Having said that, he’s still an asset that should not be traded. The team is probably about ready to give up on another 1st rounder (Leblanc) so I don’t want to see the same thing happen to Eller who will be 25 this summer. I’d bring both guys back to camp and see what happens. If nothing else, Eller could be a perfect 6’2″/220 4th line centre who can play a shutdown role and kill penalties.

I’m happy that Montreal has made the playoffs but they still haven’t locked down 3rd spot in their division. I realize I’m being over cautious but the Wings still have a possible 14 points left on the table with one of those four pointers being this Saturday against Montreal. Detroit would need to make up a nine point deficit during the last two weeks of the season.

• habitual says:

Breath easy, Steve. And cut Murray some slack. The hit did not represent the way he has played this season, it was a reflex as he saw he was beaten.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s the way I saw the play, too. Murray, who struggles with positioning, knew he was getting beat and just shoved his arm out as a reflex, last minute action.

It’s just that I feel the NHL loves to nail the lesser lights when handing out suspensions. Now that I realize it’s just a phone interview, the suspension won’t carry forward into the playoffs.

• Paz says:

Eller was our best forward, by far, only 12 months ago.
      I think it would be best for both parties to go their own way.

I played enough sports at a high enough level to see when a coach and a player can not work together.

Therrien is winning so he stays.

Eller is struggling so he should be moved.

• Kooch7800 says:

Eller was our best for for about 10 games or so….

I don’t think that shows he can do it consistently. I do agree he should be moved cause it isn’t working in Montreal.

Hopefully he can get it going somehwere else and we can get something back

• twilighthours says:

Watching the Gorgesification of P.K. Subban is slowly turning me dead inside.

• Mattyleg says:

A couple of things:

Murray will only get 3 games or so, so there’s no big worry there.

You’re right about Subban, he needs to be directed, and hopefully a middle-ground can be reached.

I don’t understand the ‘demise’ of Eller. He had one short burst of productivity with the Habs, but other than that, he’s been pretty consistent.

• Ali says:

Murray has a phone hearing so it’ll be less than 5 games. Likely a couple.

52. gumper says:

Anybody know if Crankshaft has a history of suspensions. If not, can’t see more than two games…three at most.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

53. Ozmodiar says:

Memo to those who want Eller benched:

If the Habs top 3 centers were DD, Pleks, Briere/Chucky – that would be the soft-underbelly of the team, easily be exploited by other teams especially come playoff time. Small, soft, not good defensively (besides Pleks).

Eller’s got some things to work on to get back to playing like he was last year. Probably easier for the Habs to work on that than to replace him with someone outside the org. He’ll definitely be given another chance next year.

54. jmac21 says:

COY = Coach of Year
    Sorry I’ll spell it out or call him Mike

55. Paz says:

I think I remember Desharnais turning the puck over entering the Lightning zone, leading to a breakaway the other away, and a goal.

Maybe that was a key play in the game?

Nope.

Had to be Eller’s penalties, both of which we killed off.

• Ozmodiar says:

Ain’t that the truth. :)

Heck, Eller even got the blame when Tinordi passed the puck to the wrong team. :roll:

• twilighthours says:

DD’s play was terrible. But he probably gets a free pass for the blunder because, you know, he actually creates goals every now and then.

• Mattyleg says:

That DD play was pretty bad.

I guess you’re just reacting to certain people’s over-reaction about Eller, but do you really think that his contribution last night was beyond reproach, and that people are just looking for whoever to blame?

56. stevieray says:

I posted a few comments earlier regarding the 2 man Ref system the NHL uses to which I compared the Basketball 2 man Ref system . The point I didn’t make was usually a missed call results in the Official watching the ball and not the play within his area of responsibilty on the floor…Maybe some refs watch the puck to much ,,resulting in a missed called or having the other ref call the infraction even though it wasn’t his call to make .. In basketball this is a big NO NO ..

57. Luke says:

In Light of World Autism Awareness Day, thought I’d link this here and quote what I thought were the key points. It’s a good base analogy of what Autism is. Used by a mother to explain it to a grade school class her child is in.
    The post is from 2010 and sent to me by a good friend whose little one is Autistic. Hope you don’t mind…

“Having autism means that your brain is put together differently. Your brain still works perfectly well. It just does things differently from other people’s brains.
    “Now, we all know that your brain is a machine that’s made of tissue and neurons and nerve cells. But let’s pretend it was a more simple machine. Let’s pretend your brain wasn’t made of tissue and neurons and nerve cells, but instead, it was made of metal and plastic and electrical wires. And let’s pretend that when you put that metal and plastic and electrical wire together, it turned into a toaster.”

“And let’s pretend that MOST of us had toaster brains. Some of us might make white toast and some wheat toast or rye toast, and some of us might make light toast and some of us dark toast. Some of us might only toast bagels, and sometimes we might even burn the toast, but for the most part, all of our brains would be able to do the same thing: make toast.

“Now, think about the pretend world that we have just created. In our world, MOST people have toaster brains. So, when we make the rules for our world and decide how we want to spend our time, what do you think we’ll decide is the MOST important thing a person can do?” … Toast.
    ” Because we have brains that are really GOOD at making toast – so we will want to have a world where it’s REALLY important and REALLY valuable to make toast. “
    “Now let’s pretend that Bud’s brain is ALSO made of metal and plastic and electrical wires, just like our brains, except that when HIS metal and plastic and electrical wires get put together, they turn into a totally different kind of machine. Instead of being a TOASTER, Bud’s metal and plastic and electrical wires turn into a HAIR DRYER.”
    “Now, there’s nothing WRONG with a hair dryer, right? Hair dryers are great! There are some things that hair dryers are really good for. There are some things that a hair dryer can do even BETTER than a toaster. But it is REALLY, REALLY hard to make toast with a hair dryer.”
    “So, in our pretend world, even though Bud has a perfectly wonderful hair dryer brain, it’s going to be hard for him, because we toaster-brained people have decided that the most important thing that people do in our world is make toast. And Bud probably can make toast with his hair dryer, right? But he is going to have to work a lot harder to make toast with his hair-dryer brain than we will with our toaster brains. It will probably take him a lot longer to make his toast. And no matter how hard he works, his hair-dryer toast will probably always look different from our toaster toast.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Luke, thank you for posting this. As someone who has had his life blessed by having an autistic grandchild it is very much appreciated.
      CHeers.

• twilighthours says:

Cheers, Luke. I’m wearing my blue tie today and participating in the events. Any little thing we can do to better understand this condition, which is terrifying, beautiful, sad, strange, and uplifting all at once.

58. habsfan0 says:

As good as the Habs have been this season,surprising a great many of us,if they duplicate last season’s ignominious 1st round ouster this year, the year can’t be considered a success.

• gumper says:

Agreed. However, it makes me nervous thinking about how management might go about changing the team for next year.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

59. gumper says:

The manic nature if HIO rears its ugly head again this morning. All the hand-wringing and despair we’re seeing today is just as unwarranted as was all the parade route planning over the past week. During the win streak there were some good games, undoubtedly, but also there were plenty of lucky bounces and some real good mojo going on. Going into last night’s game I had a bit of concern that the players themselves were beginning to believe they had somehow suddenly become some sort of force majeur overnight. I hope the Bolts performance will throw a bucket of cold water on that thinking, which can lead players to believe that all they have to do is show up to win. That thinking was in evidence when, after scoring the first goal yet again, the Habs clearly thought the game was over. This team has tended to be streaky all year, which hints at a rather fragile level of confidence. Let’s hope that they can bounce back quickly from this loss, finish the season strong and make a run in the playoffs. The most positive thing to come out of last night’s game is that they now have a deeper respect for their first round opponent and a clearer sense of what it will take to defeat them.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• Mattyleg says:

This is a good point, and is something I was thinking this morning.
      Better to have lost against them now and know what we’re up against and that we have to be really ready to face them rather than beating them and thinking it’s going to be a walk in the park, like we did last year with Ottawa.

60. AceTen says:

It’s all Pk’s fault

61. habs001 says:

The lineup the Habs will field in the playoffs is that of a mature team..it is not of an up and coming team…Management may say that they are happy with making the playoffs but they must believe that this team can be a cup contender otherwise why have such an old lineup…