About last night …

MaxVan

Let’s get a negative note out of the way right off the top.
Call me Danny Downer, but if your Montreal Canadiens are outshot 37-19 on Tuesday night in Tampa, I’m not entirely confident they’ll win 4-1.
Steven Stamkos is not Vincent Trochek.
Ben Bishop is not Dan Ellis.
And the Lightning, battling the Canadiens for home-ice advantage in a first-round series, are a much better team than their Florida cousins, who’ll be watching the playoffs on TV.

OK, that’s enough negativity.

As Michel Therrien said in his postgame media scrum, the Canadiens got off to a good start and played a strong first period against the Panthers.

They were on their backfeet for the second half of the game, but the excellence of Carey Price kept the home team from mounting a serious comeback.

This might have been Price’s best game since the Olympics. It was certainly among his busiest, as Florida outshot the Canadiens 27-8 over the last 40 minutes – including a 15-3 advantage in a nervous third period.

But when the dust settled,the Canadiens had their fifth win in a row and eighth in their last nine. If Lars Eller and Jarred Tinordi had made those gaffes against Columbus, we might be looking at a nine-game winning streak.

Washington still has a mathematical chance of overtaking them, but the Canadiens sit 13 points clear of the playoff cutoff with six games to play. And they have two games to get ready for that first-round preview in Tampa.

Let’s hope Tomas Plekanec is back by Tuesday. His place between Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher was filled by Lars Eller, and the line combined for a grand total of zero shots on goal.

The gang on L’Antichambre were wondering whether Plekanec, the Canadiens’ shut-down centre, would stay with the kids in the postseason, when Gallagher and Galchenyuk might have difficulty covering the opponent’s top forwards – like that Stamkos guy.

The not-so-much-maligned-anymore Therrien and his staff will figure out. A greater challenge faces opposing coaches, who have to figure out how to slow down the Canadiens’ top line.

Thomas Vanek has been a catalyst, elevating the games of David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty to form one of the league’s most dangerous lines. At a certain point in the telecast, Pierre Houde said they looked like they’ve been playing together for 20 years, and the RDS play-by-play man was, as usual, bang-on.

Pacioretty is playing with an intensity that has not always been in evidence. And you had to love the play – Therrien said he did – when Max passed up a hat trick to feed DD for the empty-netter.

We knew Vanek was a scorer. But his passing has been superb, and he’s even playing some D.

For the first time in a long time, Vanek is playing for a winning hockey team. And he seems to enjoy it.

DD – an undrafted free agent centring two first-rounders – must think he’s died and gone to hockey heaven.

Desharnais isn’t the only happy centre. Daniel Brière, who has struggled on the wing, is back at his natural position and looking good between Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque – although Gaston Therrien, on L’Antichambre, said if Travis Moen were healthy his grit would be a better complement to Brière and Gionta than anything Bourque can provide.

I hope the recently-minted fourth line is back together in Tampa: Lars Eller between Ryan White and Michäel Bournival, whose speed was much in evidence against the Panthers.

Notwithstanding that huge shot disparity and Price’s heroics, I liked some of what I saw on the Canadiens back end.

As pointed out by the L’Antichambre guys, surviving all those atempted muggings in Boston has boosted Alexei Emelin’s confidence. He’s playing smart, physical while not always looking for the killer hit and benefitting, as many before him (see KOMISAREK, Mike) from being paired with Andrei Markov.

In the Saturday Gazette, Patrick V. Hickey, made a case for signing Markov to a new three-year contract. I don’t always agree with my learned former colleague, but Patrick V. is right on this one.

P.K. Subban is the most talented defenceman on the roster, but Markov is playing the best hockey of anyone on the team’s blueline. His knee injuries have robbed Markov of a step or two, but he is compensating with smarts.

I want him around to teach Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn et al – none of whom are ready, at this point, to pick up the ToI slack if Markov leaves.

So memo to Marc Bergevin: Sign Markov.

And P.K.

And Vanek.

•  •  •

The Canadiens will stay in Florida until Thursday and then travel to Ottawa for a Friday night game against the Senators.

I’m worried about all this Sunshine State free time for my man Patrick V.

The last time he had a day off in Florida, Hick fell asleep on the beach and Greenpeace tried to roll him into the ocean.

•  •  •

From Twitter:

On March 13, Toronto was three points ahead of the Canadiens.

The Habs have gained 16 points on the Leafs IN 16 DAYS!

In case I missed it, Pleks is back with the team according to RDS

2. rhino514 says:

Tampa hasn´t been playing well, they needed overtime and shootouts vs Islanders and buffalo.
    If they lose tonight we are in the driver´s seat!

How great has Boston been this season? They are just 17 goals shy of having a GD of +100. HI/O fans love to hate the Bruins but their players certainly commit to the team concept as laid out by their management team.

• Timo says:

There is no denying that Bruins have been playing great hockey this season. I hate them and I wish them bad things.

• JF says:

Steve – The Bruins have been the best team in the Eastern Conference for several years now. The Penguins have Crosby and Malkin, but beyond that, their lineup is uneven and their goaltending, especially in the playoffs, inconsistent. I’m also not sure that Bylsma is all that good a coach, that 2009 Stanley Cup notwithstanding. His playoff results apart from that are disastrous. The Bruins don’t have the Penguins’ offensive stars, but their lineup is absolutely solid, and they have tremendous depth at every position. Then there’s Claude Julien, whom Gainey certainly made a mistake in firing.

4. frontenac1 says:

Staubitz playing D for Marlies?!

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

Hey everyone,

I have two seats to the Detroit vs Montreal game this Saturday that I am not going to be able to use.

Level: White Section
    Section: 330
    Row: FF
    Seats: 5&6

I am not looking to make money on these, just need to get what I have into them.

$135 x 2 = $270 (this will include shipping)
    e-transfer preferred

If interested, email me just_fastcars@yahoo.com and we can exchange details.

====================================
    Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
    ====================================

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh man, if only!
      Hope someone takes them.
      Cheers

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Tell me about it, this was the game I wanted to see from the day the tickets went on sale. Was supposed to be a great trip for the wife and I, but stupid extended-winter had to get in the way.

The weather is not looking that great for next Sunday (day we would drive back)…We just don’t want to take the chance driving and get caught in some nasty weather.

Have I mentioned I loathe winter?

====================================
        Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
        ====================================

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Commiserations, very hard luck.
          3000-odd posters here (note the hyphen!), someone’s bound to bite and the price is right. Good luck.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Thanks Mike…

Hope the Irish weather is better!

====================================
            Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
            ====================================

• Danno says:

That is a fair price folks

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. UKRAINIANhab says:

Can we all put an end to the EGG line now. It is not what it once was.

• HabsPooch says:

There’s no point to that line anyways. Galchenyuk will be playing centre next year and Eller is nothing but a third line centre at best.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Agree

• crane says:

bottom six for playoffs

Bournival Eller Prust
        Bork. Bierre Gionta

Wiese and White spares
        Parros and Moen out

• HabsPooch says:

I think if everyone’s healthy Therien would do this:

Pacioretty DD Vanek
          Galchenyuk Pleks Gallagher
          Prust Briere Gionta
          Moen Eller Weisse

Bournival,Bourque,White and Parros out

Not that I agree with that lineup because I’d have Bournival and White in but Briere’s a playoff player and Eller is given a million chances.

• rhino514 says:

I like that lineup…although Bournival deserves to play, but Therrien seems to think Stone Hands Moen is a great shutdown guy, so I doubt Bournie will get a chance if everyone is healthy.

I also don´t think Briere is going to magically come alive at playoff time (though management has proved us wrong most times this year) and wouldn´t have him in; we need grinders and guys with size for dirty goals come playoff time.
            A hunch tells me Prust if healthy could be the guy who makes the key play in the series. It will be so satisfying to have him in the lineup if/when we meet the bruins. The bruins could notch 200 points, but will have a tough time against us if we are healthy. If the habs were to beat the bruins this year, as strong as they are, it would be the most satisfying series win, to me, in many many years.

7. Maritime Ronn says:

Plex’s flight should be touching town in Ft. Lauderdale in a little over an hour. He will be at the full Habs practice tomorrow
    He’s playing Tuesday.

8. The Juice says:

@habs4ever had to go back aways but great post!

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Let us pause and think about what would have happened if MB traded Markov for nothing (picks and a prospect, I hate trading for that stuff). Good on MB for not moving Markov at the deadline. Also, good on MB for getting Weaver and Vanek for absolutely nothing. How did we get Vanek for that cheap. I mean seriously, the guy has completely changed our team and we gave up Collberg who like many young prospects in every teams system may never make it to the NHL.

• HabsPooch says:

Hard to say. If Markov would have netted us a Tyler Toffoli type player I’m sure we would have been ok with that. It seems Bergevin didn’t receive any offers close to that so you don’t just give him away for nothing.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

And if we got Tyler Toffoli we would not be in the same spot

• HabsPooch says:

Perhaps not but then the Habs wouldn’t have to worry about offering a right winger $8 million per year. We would have our up and coming blue chipper on our roster and then maybe use that money on a solid #2 defenseman. Who knows? For now everything looks good. We’ll see what the reaction is if Vanek’s signing elsewhere and we’re left trying to find a Toffoli type player.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Good point, my solution to the Vanek dillema is to get rid of Gorges. It seems like as far I have seen that Weaver can do everything he can at a much cheaper price tag.

• CJ says:

Just keep in mind, our best players, Pleks, Price, PK, Galley, Max, Chucky, are all Canadiens draft picks. I wouldn’t, so casually, dismiss that as nothing.

I get your point, it’s a matter of finding an immediate replacement so that there is no noticeable drop off this season. Beaulieu could potentially have been that guy, but the team would have needed to commit to playing him all season.

Giving up Collberg and a second round pick is something. It’s a gamble. In the short term the advantage, primary (on ice results) and secondary (commitment to winning, culture change) favor Montreal. In 2-3 years time the move might favor the Isles.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Beaulieu is a great player, but he is no Markov and may never be, or may be better. Who knows? Giving away Collberg when our prospect depth is pretty good and trading him for one of the leagues best goal scorers is not really a big deal. We have a better chance to win the cup with Vanek in our line up than a player who is not on Montreal.

• CJ says:

Agreed, our depth financed the move. Your comments regarding Beaulieu are fair. Fact is, we won’t know for a while, possibly years, maybe months, on whether or not he can replace Markov. It’s simply too bad we weren’t able to graduate either Tinordi or Beaulieu to a full time role this year. I know the team tried both early, it just didn’t work. The ramifications are not entirely known, but, IMO, it significantly influenced the decision surrounding Markov.

Again, in closing, the loss of Collberg may never materialize to anything more than an asterisk in a ledger, and yes, I too think it was an astute move, however I can’t go so far as to say we gave up nothing. Just my two cents….

Cheers, CJ

• ooder says:

garth snow is hilariously inept.
      i remeber a few years ago at the draft the TSN guys were saying how Snow is a changed man and is a smarter GM. right lol

10. Mavid says:

Sorry if someone already posted this..but even the great Stamkos screws up..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habcouver says:

Thanks. I heard about it but missed it while celebrating the Canucks loss yesterday.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• HabsPooch says:

I wonder what would have happened had a Tampa player on the bench stuck out his stick and redirected the puck away from the net. If it’s a bench minor, who cares. It saves a goal.

• Mavid says:

interesting point..wonder what the rule is on that..it would have only been a 4 on 4 then, as they were calling a penalty on the Sabres..I am guessing by the time they realized it was going in, it was past the bench..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habs_Norway says:

Wouldnt that be a technical goal, like if a D throws his stick towards the puck when going for the empty net?
        Last year, in Norway, the refs made a huge blooper in the play-offs.
        Our Canadian boy, Blake Evans, was waiting for a 2min (delayed penalty) when the opposing team (which had pulled their goalie) fired the puck – which then hit Evans’ skate; sliding across the ice and into the open net.

The refs called it a good goal, even though the rulebook says that “if a player on the “penalty-given-team” touches the puck or the puck is reflected off him, the whistle shall be blowed before the puck enters the net”. Good for us, i actually think it was the GWG in game 5 or something.

I think the refs thought that the reflection was not on puropse (which it wasnt) therefore a good goal – unknowing of the rule saying that if it goes towards/in the goal, it shall be blowed before and a no goal will occure.

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

11. Sportfan says:

So what happened to Plek?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. punkster says:

OK, now I’ve seen everything…PT and HH aligned in their comments, if only temporarily, and somewhat extemporaneously, without a hint of what they are usually tempermentally inclined to do.

I’m tempted to up the tempo by requesting they take their temperatures as I believe one or both may be running a fever.

Release the Subbang!!!

13. Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree with the notion of waiting to assess Vanek’s performance in the playoffs before we bazooka any major money at him. (I’m also very interested to see how Briere does in the post-season — in the summer we were told that that’s when he would really earn his salary. We’ve had to wait all season long, not very impatiently — us being us — but we are about to find out. He has been showing more signs of offensive life recently, hopefully a prelude to what’s to come. And if he DOES start producing big-time in the playoffs, poster’s screens will have lip marks on them, and the weirdness of the torch thing in October will diminish. We shall see.)

But Vanek is what I really wanted to post about. The great collective wisdom of HIO is split. Some are asserting that there’s zero chance of him forgoing wife’s wishes, kids’ educational comfort, big house, old buds etc and jilting Minny for Montreal. They seem to know this. If you put yourself in his skates, it sure makes sense.

Others are merely suggesting that the door is not closed, whereupon they propose all the reasons why he might well like (or ought to like) to remain a Hab: clicking on a line, team might have a good playoffs, looking good for coming seasons, his early successes have endeared him already to the most knowledgeable and passionate crowd in hockey, and he is playing in the Mecca of hockey (which Buffalo, Long Island and the twin cities will never be).

That’s the gist, anyway, and I’ve left out lots. BUT: who knows more? Who can do more than either assert or suggest/speculate? There are very solid posters on both sides of this….

14. jimmy shaker says:

Here is my opening night stanley cup playoff lineup:

Patch/DD/Vanek
    Chucky/Pleks/Gally
    Eller/Briere/Gio
    Prust/White/Weezy

Bourque and Parros don’t play at all
    Bernie can come in for Eller if he sucks the first game
    Moen can rotate in for anyone on the fourth, most likely white

On the D

Marky/Emelin
    Pk/Gorges
    Weaver/Murray

Frankie and Tinordi rotate in for Murray. Unless injuries occur. The first 5 on the D will be set for as long as the boys go!

Pricer in the crease. If Budashe plays….we all know what that means!

C’mon Detroit!

Shaker out!

• The_Truth says:

I agree with your whole line-up to start, except I would put Bourque in place of Eller and Let Eller center the 4th line.

Bourque is Bourque, but considering how he played agaisnt the Sens last year and his capabilities (although sporadic), you have to have him in there. Eller as a winger really didn’t look good either earlier this season.

White is useless offensively and I like that Eller-Prust-Weisse 4th line. It can easily make an impact.

I also can see that Pleks line changing in a hurry

• jimmy shaker says:

Maybe I can give bourque one game then. As much as white isn’t a threat offensively, he and weezy played pretty well together. I’m not looking for much offense anyways from the 4th line, just o-zone time, some big hits, energy and sound d-zone play. Eller, even though he can’t score or play the wing well, I like his hustle and potential more than bourque, and don’t really want to take briere out of the pivot. That’s why I have eller on the third line over bourque. Eller can move up and down so that is his plus over bourque. I like white on the PK, in the dot, his attitude, aggressiveness and willingness to get dirty. There are lot’s of interchangeable parts for sure, especially with MT at the helm!

shaker out!

• Loop_Garoo says:

That’s exactly the thing with Bourque. He was great last year, and when he is on, he can be great. I would also give him a game or two to see, then pull him if its not working.

15. D Man says:

Lots of talk of Markov’s value to the team and the length of his up-coming contract. Is it a given that he will be a whole lot slower I n 2 to 3 yrs.? Maybe this is it and with the injury time off he has maxed out on the slowing down for a few years and this is what we will get. Who knows?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

16. Sportfan says:

Seeing Youpii in an Expos jersey was normal and natural, really funny seeing the Habs jersey under it :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. jimmy shaker says:

Everyone ready for a Rask meltdown!

shaker out!

18. Caesar says:

If the playoffs started to day I see all 4 eastern teams with home ice advantage winning the first round. Out west we have to guess Col and SJ might be in trouble

Looks like the more the playoff format changes the more we play Boston….

19. Danno says:

Two jerk teams that decided to split three points

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

20. frontenac1 says:

Vinnie ties it up.

21. CJ says:

Great game in Philly. Tied at 3.

22. habs_54321 says:

Briere looked pretty darn good running the right wall on the power play. he should get that opportunity more often

23. The_Truth says:

@ Chris:
    Vanek and Subban will be looking for 8 Million, I agree. For Vanek it’s a must and he will get it. Subban being an RFA, gives him less leverage and I don’t think he is worth that much. If McDonagh gets 5, Keith 5.5, Pietrangelo 6.5, Karlsson 7, Doughty 7, Chara 7, Suter 7.5, and Weber 7.8, how can Subban justify wanting 8?

7 million is very fair on a long term (or shorter) deal. Subban might be the last best Dman on that whole list.

I also see Markov getting 6 million.

• PrimeTime says:

It would interesting to know what type of Dman PK wants to be. Does he want to an Orr or Coffee? Or does he want to be a Pronger, Bourgue? A hybrid of both like Robinson?

• The_Truth says:

Subban wants to be the best of all time and really admired Orr. He won’t be Orr, and quite likely not Bourque either, who is somewhat similar to PK.

PK will be PK which is very good and will get better. But, no way he should be the highest paid Dman in the league.

• Butterface says:

He wants to be PK.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• CJ says:

I have to agree. I don’t think it’s as automatic as others suggest. I would be very hesitant to give out an $8 million deal based on PK’s play this season.

Small correction – Karlsson is signed for $6.5 million long term.

• frontenac1 says:

Normally I wouldn’t bother with Flames vs Sens at 5pm but might be some good tilts with McGratton,Westgarth, Neil,Kassian.

• habcertain says:

It’s close or he signs short term and does the Vanek walk

• HabsPooch says:

Problem is that without PK our defense is completely weakened. I’m sure he and his agent know they’re in a position of power and based on what happened with his current contract , they will be out to get maximum dollars.
        I too agree he isn’t worth $8 million compared to other star defenseman but to our team he is. Supply and demand and the Habs have no choice but pay.
        Including the tax situation, I would say he won’t settle for anything less than 7.5 per year…and 7.5 would be a steal.

• habcertain says:

Salary cap is going up, hard to compare dollar for dollar when those other contacts were signed earlier

• Chris says:

Subban’s contract will be signed with the highest salary cap in NHL history in place…the relative value of his deal will naturally be higher than those of his peers. Most of those deals were signed in different conditions. $8 M for Subban will be the starting point. He might go down to $7.5, but I would be surprised.

• The_Truth says:

I am not sure about that (mainly because he is an RFA), but if that is the case, then it would be too high. 8 for 8 for example won’t look as bad in the 2nd half of the deal, but for the next few years I don’t like it.

Subban is good, but he isn’t all world IMO. I see that Detroit game and some others recently and it certainly raises questions for that kind of dollar amount.

• CJ says:

Agreed on all points Chris. That said, I don’t see how PK is worth $1.5 to $2 million more than Pietrangelo, who signed his deal this season.

I get the economics, but there are so many marketing/secondary opportunities available to PK in Montreal. I don’t have my hand on the pulse, but I don’t believe it a stretch to say that PK’s Q rating is very high and, as a result, he will be able to cash in on endorsement opportunities not available to those in smaller markets, or markets without a focus on hockey.

Sorry to be critical of our best defenceman, but for $8 million dollars I expect a lot more consistency.

24. PrimeTime says:

Hard Habits was the only poster who got my criticism of critics. Lol. You guys are fun!

As excited as we all are with the Habs and Leafs trending in opposite directions, this is a far from perfect team. What is great to see is the team effort in their wins. As was said last night on HNIC these guys seem to like each other and play hard as a team. That’s what makes this team easy to like and hard to play against. Can we make the finals? Odds are probably not but that’s what makes it fun to watch.

• habcertain says:

It would take a Roy type performance from Price for us to do any damage, even in this latest run, we have not blown the doors of anyone. I think like last year big things were expected but when our goaltending was at a normal level we were not effective.

25. Danno says:

Hope the Philthy Flyers lose and get kicked out of the playoffs, so Go Bruins!

Oh. That doesn’t sound right…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

26. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Patches seems to play his best and most complete games when he has the “A” stitched to his sweater. The fact that he thrives in a leadership role certainly bodes well for the future and hope to see it there full time next year.

• Da Hema says:

I liked what Pacioretty said during his interview with CBC last night. He was asked about Vanek, and how it appeared to take some time for him to adjust to his new team. Pacioretty replied that it would have taken him a lot longer to integrate into a new team than it did Vanek. I can see why his teammates like Pacioretty (and Desharnais too).

27. Butterface says:

Cheering for Detroit !!

Problem is we have to wait for Vanek to hit free agency. He has told everyone he wants that. In waiting on Vanek, we risk missing out on other Free Agents, including our own.

Obviously signing Subban and Markov are paramount since Vanek is a long shot.

Hopefully Tinordi will be more complete next year and will have learned from mistakes. Hopefully Beaulieu is given a shot by the club. I have not seen much of Pateryn so I am not sure where he is in terms of NHL ready.

That being said I would like to keep Weaver.

Gorges, Markov, Subban, Tinordi, Emelin, Weaver, Beaulieu.

As much as I would like a big free agent on the blue line, I think these will be sufficient as long as we get more firepower up front.

If we don’t add scoring assets, then a top 4 defenceman would be helpful to keep the puck out of our net.

I would like to see Gorges as the next captain.

MB has been effective securing defensive assets, but he has thus far overpaid for offensive free agents.

Lets hope he straightens this out after July 1st.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

28. Sportfan says:

2 days of baseball will a packed Big O and Habs win another great weekend for sports!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. B says:

Hickey reported that Mac Bennett is not likely to play for Hamilton this season instead focusing on rehabbing his shoulder and preparing for the next Hab’s camp.

–Go Habs Go!–

30. B says:

Artturi Lehkonen signed a 2 year deal with Frölunda.

–Go Habs Go!–

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Nice to see Scott Hartnell absolutely level Zdeno Chara right off his feet behind the net in this game. The fans in Philadelphia went wild too.

The only way the Flyers and Habs could meet would be in round three. Any team that faces the Flyers should just pepper Mason with shots. He looks pretty weak today and is one of the lower tier starters in the league. Otherwise the Flyers are pretty strong, especially the forwards.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks Hobie. I will try and find that on youtube — I’m with the wild Philly fans on that matter!

What happened next? Chara always seems so personally affronted when someone hits him and often seems to forget what he’s supposed to be doing in order to exact vengeance. To me this suggests we can never hit him enough times.

32. B says:

Mark MacMillan and UND have made it to the Frozen Four. Today’s games will determine who they play on April 10th.

–Go Habs Go!–

33. HammerHab says:

I’m really hoping the Habs make it to at least the Eastern final. I think if we do our chances of signing Vanek go up dramatically, and I also really really hope Markov resigns at a significant discount seeing the potential in this team knowing he might actually have a chance to hoist the Cup. 3 years, 3mil per would enable us to sign PK and give Vanek the $$$ neccessary to keep him in a Habs uni while maintaining balance throughout the lineup. I’d also like to see Gionta back in his current role as a 3 line defensive guy for 2 years at 3mil per. Resign Murray and Weaver to maintain that defensive depth and we have a very solid team moving forward.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• AliHaba says:

Markov will be signed for at least 6 million per; if not by the Habs than certainly by some other team.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Although no one would disagree it it would be nice to see Markov sign for 3, there is no way. I can see him signing the same contract again, but that is the best case scenario. Have a sneaking suspicion Gio goes back to Jersey to finish his career with his brother, but at 3 million per, would take that contract for another 2 years, but we might be better trying to land a bigger younger option for the 3rd line.

34. habsfan0 says:

Not too many Toronto Maple Leaf flags flying from people’s cars here today in the GTA.

I wonder why that is?

• RockinRey says:

Aint it great?

——————————————————————————————————
      ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

35. CJ says:

I’ve counted three times this period that McGuire has noted that Millbury drafted Chara out of the Prince George. I hope I didn’t miss any other occasions. I’d hate to slight the guy….

36. twilighthours says:

The NBC on-air personalities are hilarious! (in a bad way)

37. RockinRey says:

RE: Markov 3 yrs is too long. I think 2 yrs max!
    ——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

38. habsr4ever says:

Totally ok with starting on the road for the playoffs. Ownership won’t but heck its only for one round any way. We can knock of the bolts in 6 and get 3 home dates regardless…..we’ll win in six having home ice or not. Bishop is not the same goalie in the second half here we can light him up a bit….to be honest I hope we get smoked on Tuesday and let them think they have us…..we lost to the B’s in SEVEN after taking games one and two in Beantown…..I’ll take those odds again any day…..we may have the hottest line in hockey right now…..if not they are extremely close. We are going to score some goals – those 2-1 games vs TB will not be happening. Callahan scares me for their secondary scoring cuz he is a playoff BEAST….so they key will be our third line and Hedmen vs Vanek and company. Briere is mister playoff so I like our chances….let’s not forget about our fourth line either which is one of the best in hockey…..B’s have the best….we are darn close to the second best with Prust Eller and Bournival.
    PK Subban – 8 years times $7 M.
    Vanek – 6 Years times $7.5 M – I think he is starting to like having a great line and team to play with…..Minny – I think everyone knows that team still has loads of holes to fill…..good luck getting a ring in Minny……in the WEST – forget it…..
    Markov – 3 Years time $5 M
    We WILL get rid of Bourque this off – season and probably Briere too. rumor mill did say there was 3 teams interested in Briere. Bourque will head out West for a draft pick but we’ll have to EAT some of his salary – guessing 750 K…….that’s ok….at least we’ll shed some cap space and get some more size up front that actually have heart….sorry Bourque but you HAVE to go…..if U have a great playoff again here I’ll eat my words….same as Briere…..but for $4 Mil – Danny has to go as well. Even though Briere was signed to replace Gionta next year – not sure this is a good trade off…..gionta is awesome defensively and gives his ALL every game even though he can’t score any more…..you gotta love his defensive side of his game. Habs sure have a great back end FUTURE…..but I am ok with dangling some of our blue chip blue liners for some Offensive forwards with size and grit.
    enjoy the playoffs……..

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry Boone but Hickey’s beyond wrong. No way in hell is Markov a more valuable D-man than PK. That statement is so ridiculous, it borders on stupidity. If he wants to say Markov is valuable to the Habs, that is one thing…but more valuable than PK? C’mon…

BTW where was this article when Markov (and Emelin) were playing terrible defensively? Hickey trashes posters and fans for making rash “in the moment” judgements but he writes an article like this when Markov is playing well. How convenient…

As much as people need to temper criticism, praise needs to be tempered as well. Markov’s performance in the playoffs will dictate whether or not he gets the 3 year deal…nothing else. If Markov does get that deal, then kiss either Tinordi or Beaulieu good-bye. There will be no room for both of them, especially with a veteran-favorable coach.

• CJ says:

I agree with your post. Markov has had flashes of brilliance, but overall, aside from the Bruins game, I think I have to go back to the game against the Ducks to identify a solid 60 minutes.

The difference between Markov’s errors and Tinordi’s errors are some have been covered up by goaltending, while other’s haven’t. Like you said, and I don’t necessarily disagree with his stance, but Therien is a veterans coach. He is not hired to build our youth. He is here to try and win right now, and has shown he will ride the veterans in an effort to do so. Price aside, I can’t think of anyone on our team, 26 and under, who is noticeably better this season. The credit for Price should be shared among Carey and Waite.

Just my two cents….

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I think right now Markov is by the slimmest of margins probably the better all-around defenseman of the two. He won’t be in 2-3 years though.

• RockinRey says:

I agree DDO -If you feel you have to sign him I give him 2 yrs max. I also consider trading him to improve depth on the front end. Whether its Pateryn, Tiny , beaulieu or all 3 its clear they have to make steps to improve the d. The Murrays and Beaulieus and Weavers are always available…. and expendable.

The Habs have those 3, PK , Markov and can look for another stay at home type. Gorges could be expendable. Weaver can be a 6, 7, 8 type. Thank Murray and Bouilon for their service.

We have to remember the whole lot of the d corps have had their lousy streaks this year.Including Markov.

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Chris says:

Subban and Markov need to be there, as Montreal needs to have somebody who can play the power play. Ultimately, Nathan Beaulieu will make his way into that mix and start pushing Markov for PP ice time.

Murray and Bouillon will not be back next season, so that leaves Markov, Subban, Emelin, and Gorges as veterans, while Tinordi, Beaulieu and Weaver (who I think will be re-signed) will fight it out for the remaining two spots. Ultimately, Beaulieu will take Markov’s spot while Tinordi should eventually make Gorges expendable. But that time is not next season.

• RockinRey says:

From what I have read Pateryn has actually been the most consistent of the 3 this year. There could be and outside solution to address the stud on d. As much as we admire Markov’s contributions to the Habs I say 2 yrs and evaluate his play and it does not look like there are immediate solutions in the farm for top 9 depth. Markov could garner something nice in return.

——————————————————————————————————
        —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• The_Truth says:

PK is more valuable I would say. Definitely in regards to the future, but a real argument can be Made that Markov is more valuable this season. Saying he is beyond wrong, is to strong IMO.

40. HabsPooch says:

Lecavalier scoring his 400th career goal this afternoon. Philly up 2-1 on Bruins.

41. FlyAngler says:

According to cap geek, the Habs are at $46,630,833 in salary for 2014-2015 for 15 players with a projected salary cap of $71M. I would love to see MB sign Vanek, P K & Markov but you have to think that this will cost in the neighborhood of at least $19M per year which would only leave approximately $5.5 M in cap space for 7 players to fill out the roster and this is without even bringing Gionta into the equation. The Habs would seemingly need to make a number of moves in order to accommodate all 3 players next year but I am certainly on board with Boone that they need to try to do it somehow. As far as Vanek goes, I have seen more than enough, especially given his Bruin killer past performances.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Chris says:

I think $19 M is probably optimistic for those three: both Subban and Vanek will be looking for deals with cap hits ~ $8 M, and I don’t see Markov going for less than $4 M, with closer to $5 M being more likely.

Gionta can be re-signed more cheaply or let go. I think the team will try to move two or more of Bourque, Moen and Eller in the off-season.

42. nova scotia vees says:

OMG! Milbury pushing Bergeron and Giroux ahead of Crosby for League MVP. Idiotic! Crosby has kept the Pens where they are even though his team is a disaster. Malkin out again…Neal missed a ton of time, Letang, Vochon, Martin…all out. And Sid gets to play with Stepniak, instead of Dupuis (who wasn’t any great shakes). Stepniak!!! What is it about Sidney Crosby, that so many can’t bring themselves to give him credit? I guess he is too clean cut for most of these scuz bags. Imagine if he had Vorachek or Vanek or anyone who was a first line winger. We all saw how weak Kunitz is at the Olympics.

• AliHaba says:

Vochon=Vokoun?
      Stepniak=Stempniak?
      Vorachek=Voracek?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Pedantry=This post?

• AliHaba says:

Not at all. I just believe that if you’re going to take the time to write a comment you owe it to the people you are commenting about to at least spell their names correctly. Ten seconds on Hockeydb is all it takes.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ideal world, I agree with you Ali. For courtesy if for nothing else, when it comes to people’s names.

On the other hand, if it’s the difference between posting or not, what do you think? There are people for whom spelling just doesn’t come easily, and they have to work laboriously on everything they write. An anonymous forum let’s them jump into the conversation without worrying about people noticing their mispellings. Nova Scotia Vees may well not be in that category, but given the number of posters here, there’s probably a good number who are. For myself, I’d prefer them to keep posting than to chicken out because of spelling. And as you know, there are numerous FAR worse posting sins on HIO than mere spelling. You could end up an extremely busy marshall!

If you’re thinking more about ones who simply don’t bother — similar to Don Cherry lazily and disrespectfully mispronouncing the names of players he doesn’t care for — then I’m with you all the way!

43. lach60 says:

Love what Plekanec does for Montreal but I’m hoping Pacioretty is the next captain. Loved that A on his sweater.

44. Stevie.Ray says:

Yesterday somebody told me that we could not afford Vanek, Markov and Subban, but I don’t see why not.

Pacioretty 4.5m – Desharnais 3.5m – Vanek 7m
    Galchenyuk 1m – Plekanec 5m – Gionta 4m
    Briere 4m – Eller 2m – Gallagher .685m
    Moen 1.85m – White 1m – Prust 2.5m
    Bournival .66m – Weise .75m

Markov 5m – Subban 8m
    Gorges 3.9m – Emelin 4.1m
    Tinordi .87m – Beaulieu .925
    Weaver .1.5m

Price 6.5m
    Budaj 1.4m

For a total of 70.64. And the cap next year is expected to be up around 71-73m.

Just say goodbye to Bourque, Parros, Murray, and Boullion. And I’m not 100% certain Eller will be back.

And like I said last night, 7m for Vanek for 8 years may seem steep, but by the end of the contract the cap could be up around 85-90m, and 7m won’t hurt as much as it would now.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I had to guess for a few salaries. Am I in the ballpark?

• HabsPooch says:

$7 million won’t keep Vanek in Montreal. Add another million per year. Also, there’s no way I’m paying Gionta $4 million…nor do I want him playing for us next year.

• govenah says:

Yes we have to let go of GIO for next year. And dump either Briere or Eller.
        Marky should get 15m for a 3yr contract or 11M for a 2 year.
        Vanek makes 8 a year.

I sure like how DD’s contract is looking now. But I was certainly down on him in November.

The glass is MT.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

HabsPooch….hey MB…thanks for the insight…….probably Gio will be elsewhere then

• Paz says:

How do you get Markov for 5 million for next year?

• sirs81 says:

The cap might not change at all due to the weaker Canadian dollar. What I would say is make every team pay their players in Canadian money instated of US. This would make teams with smaller markets more competitive.
        After all the game of hockey is Canadian.

• CJ says:

The cap projection, $71.1 million was based on Canadian dollar parity. Reports suggests it could be as low as $68 million next season, following adjustments. Additionally, the Leafs swoon won’t help merchandise revenue. Laugh if you wish, but they are a major revenue generator. Aside from Montreal, every other Canadian market is struggling on ice. This will hold off ice implications, some of which will seep into the NHL revenue capitalization.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I hadn’t considered that. If we could make the salaries work for next year, then we’ll be sitting pretty as the year after will be the first year the new tv deal will have an effect, meaning salary cap will jump again, and we’ll be resigning a couple key RFA’s

• 24 Cups says:

I posted something early this morning concerning possible cap numbers. We see things basically the same except for the following points:
      - no re-signing of Gionta, Bourque returns
      - Vanek gets 8M
      - Markov gets 6M
      - you have to factor in some bonus money
      - you have to factor in an injury cushion
      - I felt the team needed to move one of the Briere or Bourque contracts to make a cap of 69M.

• The_Truth says:

Bidding for Vanek starts at 8 Million and Markov 6 Million. Hoping PK for 7 Million.

Can’t keep Gio and Briere and Bourque at their salaries and production.. 2 of them have to go.

45. Black Horse says:

I live just outside of Toronto in Ajax, On. Last night the smell and sight of smoke was like a massive house fire. It turns out that 1000′s of Leaf jerseys were burned …LOL …

I wonder how many Leaf jerseys were burned last night!

46. ElMcFoldo says:

Let’s wait and see what Vanek does for us in the playoffs before we start talking about lucrative 8 year deals being offered up. I like what I’ve seen so far, but is he really a franchise type guy going forward?

• UnkleGary says:

I’m definitely guilty of jumping the gun, but I guess I assume when I give out that contract it means he’s playing as well or better in the playoffs.

CH-eers!

47. PrimeTime says:

Where are all the critics? How many times have I read here that MT and MB need to be replaced? Too small to play a “man’s game”…..Moar Bigger, Smurfs….That DD is horrible? Briere was a bad signing? That Halak was the better choice than Price? Markov is done? PK and Price would never sign here? On and on and on and……Cowards! Man up…..we all know your lingering waiting to pounce. Can we list those posters who are have disappeared?

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• bwoar says:

I for one am more than happy to not think of them at all!

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Alas, I ’twas a critic (albeit a mild one) and am happy to see them in their current position. That said (as is the case with other teams) deficiencies persist (including the one related to toughness @ certain positions) and to a degree lack of (useful) size. Some players on the roster do require a degree of insulation which may become even more evident during the playoffs.
      (But love what the addition of TV brings to the offence)

• PrimeTime says:

I hate critics of any sort. Especially the cowards who hit and run. I just want them to man up.

********************************************************

• Phil C says:

“I hate critics of any sort. ”

So do tyrants. Truth is we need our sh!t-disturbers. Humanity is too susceptible to sitting on the side lines instead of standing up for themselves. They can be a pain in the ass, but I’ll take a rebel over a cheerleader anyday, especially if independant critical thought is involved.

• PrimeTime says:

People who throw stones do not shape events. They only break windows. Peace is achieved through intelligent discussion. There are many who are neither rebels nor cheerleaders who achieve the most.

********************************************************

• Paz says:

I think you should probably wait until we win at least 1 playoff round before you condemn the people who disagreed with some of the moves.

And consider this.

At least people who bother posting their opinions, even if they are wrong, are people like you.

They come here to particate in the discussion, and their points of view stimulate responses and keep HIO lively and worth reading.

Maybe if everyone was Only posting when they were right, this site would have died on the vines years ago, and your post today would be read by almost no one.

I say bring on the controversy, bring on the negativity, bring on the controversy, and lets keep HIO alive and well!!

• CHasman says:

You’re right, and it would be pretty boring if we all thought the same thing. Imagine if we all liked the same sort of woman. (Oh yeah, we do.)
        Anyway, Briere is still not worth 4 million but I might like him better if he does well in the playoffs. Always liked Bergeron and still don’t like Therrien.
        We have won the last two games but we could easily have lost them because we were very sloppy. There are some big games coming up, but Tampa will be a pretty good test.
        As for Vanek, I don’t think you’ll see MB offering a seven year deal and I don’t think Vanek is the least bit interested in staying here. However, I have lost my GM licence a couple of times this year already. That’s how we get it back, by keeping our big mouths shut for a couple of days.

• Paz says:

Haha! I throw my 2 cents into the pile of dung around here all the time, rolling the dice, and I’ve been wrong as often as I’ve been right.

So what!

That’s what makes it interesting!

• Cal says:

Pshaw! (It that controversial enough?) ;)

• Habilis says:

Is it worse to be a passionate fan who jumps to conclusions as the team ebbs and flows or to be a holier-than-thou observer who’s sole purpose on these boards appears to be berating anyone who doesn’t think like him?

Serious question.

• ont fan says:

The negative guys are usually the doom and gloomy guys all the time. Pick all the bad stuff apart so when things keep going bad they can say see, told you so.

• PrimeTime says:

The obnoxious idiots on the Live Blog who feel empowered by their ignorant myopic views.

********************************************************

• gmur says:

I agree, Habilis…

I’ve written this before… this is a blog for hockey fans. Not NHL GMs, coaches, etc. If you can’t blow off steam here after a loss or a bad streak, then shut the thing down. As long as things are done with respect toward the rest of the commentariat, I don’t see the problem with expressing complaints about the team, differences of opinion, etc…. or planning a Stanley Cup parade route when things are going.

After what I perceived as missteps early in the season, I suggested Therrien might not be the man for the head coach job. He seemed plodding and simplistic in the media period after games. Watching the team down the stretch, the TEAM of coaches are doing something right for sure. Therrien still does not inspire total confidence, but the results are there. Something is working; kudos to the staff.

Anyways… I enjoy reading the passionate entries of the fans on this site. Right or wrong? That doesn’t really enter the equation… it’s entertainment and enjoyment of the game and the team.

• SA - #25 says:

Go for it!

• Garbo says:

People like you are even more annoying than the naysayers. Are you expecting anyone who disagrees with you to grovel at your feet when they were wrong? Get a grip.

• PrimeTime says:

You’re right. People like me are as annoying. Now you know how we feel.

********************************************************

• GGtheHab says:

I always tried to be the voice of optimism..only have commented negatively about max/dd early on, and eller and borque now and then…very happy with the recent surge..

• CJ says:

How did the Halak Price move get onto the list Prime lol?

If the question is regarding the decisions that MB and MT has made, yes, I’ve openly questioned a number of the moves. I thought the original decision to partner Vanek with Pleks and Gionta made no sense. It was the easiest decision to make at the time, but clearly not the best. This is but one example. As previously noted there is room for respectful dialogue and open exchanges.

I would however caution everyone that traditionally the time for told you so, and look at me now is generally following the end of the season. I’m not trying to be a wet mop, but we didn’t look so great, against better competition while on the west coast swing. We have more recently beaten the teams we are supposed to beat. The wins against the Bruins and Av’s were nice, and deserve special attention.

So, who are we? IMO, we are better than most, but still a level below the top tier. We will have a chance in the playoffs, much like every other team who qualifies. Hope springs eternal. I love the optimism here lately, and I’m not going to kick the legs out from under anyone, but I’m not sold on the fact that we are heading to the Stanley Cup this year.

If we roll through Tampa and Boston, and the Eastern Conference opponent en route to the Stanley Cup final, I will hang my head in shame and let the entire commentariat throw tomatoes at me. I will not have seen that coming and will defer to you all. In the interim I will satisfy myself by watching the games and enjoying the journey.

Cheers, CJ

• JUST ME says:

I think that there is a place for criticism because that`s what we all do. It`s our national sport within our national sport.
      Negativity does not have a place though but i am afraid that to think differently is wishfull thinking. Always seeing the dark side of things is a choice some make in life as it is for others to always keep positive and optimistic.
      Notice how those who make the harshest criticisms are not here anymore because they have been exposed by the events. Therrien,D.D.,Briere,Bourque,Eller,Murray,Gionta,Markov,Bouillon, even Plek and Max Pac have all been traded at one point this season (just to name those ones ).

The reason is that people do not think before criticizing and do not give a chance to let the time settle everything and that be on both sides of positive and negative events. Few days ago some wanted a long term deal for Weaver, day before yesterday Plek`s jersey risen to the rafters… It goes both ways. With time cream rises to the top they say well those you were sour grapes are gone and all is well that ends well. Until once upon a time…

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

You sound evil. Why don’t you just make a hockey point

• HardHabits says:

You seem to assume that critics only criticize negatively. You must have never heard of a thumbs up. Something that critics also do. It’s the exact opposite of a thumbs down. Something I am giving your comment. The Habs. Tentatively a thumbs up and trending towards thumbs up.

Critic also denotes authority, commentator, expert, judge, pundit reviewer, analyser, annotator, arbiter, caricaturist, connoisseur, evaluator, expositor, sharpshooter, diagnostic.

So yes. I and others are here. Critics we all. What’s your point?

• RockinRey says:

We can enjoy this recent success but all it does is solidify seeding.

The game against Detroit was an adventure of a game that they were able to find a way to win. I am pretty happy with W but there are still issues.

——————————————————————————————————
        —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• RockinRey says:

I am still here!!

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

48. thebonscott says:

To 24cups for your cap analysis, easy fix, bye bye mr gorges.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

49. Paz says:

Considering the up and down season, if a team offered Subban 9 million for 7 years, crazy money I know, would you match the offer or take the 4 first round picks (is that what is?).

I think there a few teams at least, like the Lafs and the Flyers, who will consider this move.

• HabsPooch says:

I would match it but would hope the Habs have something in place before he’s eligible for restricted free agency. Even with the high draft picks you’re not guaranteed anything. You have a surefire superstar in PK and a big piece to winning the Cup sooner than later.

• PrimeTime says:

Take the 4 first rounders as the smarter hockey decision

********************************************************

• L Elle says:

I agree with this, even though I might be out of Jim’s will again. ;)

Love PK but 4 1st rounders…Wow!

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep! Yesterday it was Ronn . Today its you! But both of you are still in better shape that Burly. :)

• Paz says:

Jim, what would you do? Interested in your opinion.

• Habfan10912 says:

PK is a unique talent. Getting 4 1st round picks is great especially if you can draft a PK Subban. Subban, Price and Max are the cornerstones of this team’s future. The right move is to lock PK up long term.

Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter has won a boat but elects to trade it for a mystery envelope. He says, “The mystery envelope! I could even win a boat!”

• Paz says:

I love Subban. After Gallagher, he’s my second favourite Hab.

But everyone has a limit and 9 million on this team would not work.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Appreciate your reply Jim. Thanks.

• Paz says:

I think the Habs would definitely take the picks. Giving Subban 9 million would impact the whole salary structure too dramatically, considering Max makes only 4.5!

That’s why I believe it is a very interesting opportunity for other teams to consider.

They get Subban, if he agrees, and he would.

• HabsPooch says:

It’s because Max is making $4.5 m. that you can afford to pay PK $9 million a year. It averages out. However, this is all hypothetical stuff. I would say he’s going to sign anywhere between $7.5 to $8 million for 6-8 years. Takes into consideration the heavy tax imposed in Quebec.

• Paz says:

Yes. It averages out. But does it make sense to the team, to the players, to the fans?

I don’t think Therrien wants to pay Subban that much, and I’m quite certain Bergevin agrees.

I also believe Subban is ready to leave Therrien for the right team, and the right offer.

• HabsPooch says:

You think Pk wants to leave? I don’t get that vibe. I think he’s a Hab for life. If there was any inkling Pk was unhappy, I would think Bergevin would pick up on this and fire Therien.
            No Bergevin doesn’t want to pay him that much that’s why I believe things will get resolved before July 1st.

• wildwilly says:

Out of four first rounders, there’s no guarantee any of them would become franchise players like Subban. The Oilers and Columbus are stacked with first rounders and they always seem to be outside the playoffs.

• Paz says:

If the Oilers got their hands on Subban I think they would really start making some noise. Not sure Subban would go to Edmonton, though, and the player has to agree.

• ElMcFoldo says:

I would pay out that money in a heartbeat. PK’s best years are in front of him and those four first round picks would be a roll of the dice. I’m pretty sure the majority of NHL GMs would concur.

• rhino514 says:

I think the habs in a way are lucky because I think subban has lost some value. He was not considered a top 7 Canadian Dman in the Olympics, and is not in the Norris discussion this year.
      He´s still great and can win a game for us singlehandedly, but has definitely been more inconsistent this year than last, which is surprising.
      I´m thinking 7.5 million to 8 million will get it done. Depends on wether the Norris trophy in a shortened season is given full value or seen as a bit of an anomaly as well.
      I was surprised to hear Hickey say Markov is still our best Dman.
      But it´s actually good for us that Markov is even in that discussion; it means the perception that he is increasingly a defensive liability is exagerated.

50. BJ says:

I don’t know if anyone posted this re. Tim Bozon, pretty touching moments:

• HabsPooch says:

Goosebumps…

• PrimeTime says:

Awesome. Thanks!

********************************************************

• UnkleGary says:

Thank for the link, really touching video.

CH-eers!

• B says:

Thanks for posting that. Awesome to see the kid back on his feet and looking so well. Loved seeing all the Calgary team skate over to shake Bozon’s hand.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Thank you for posting. Incredible. Cheers, CJ

51. jimmy shaker says:

Oh and Gorges pushing for a comeback vs the hawks, so he can have 3 games under his legs before they battle the bolts.

Shaker out!

52. jimmy shaker says:

Absolutely hated that call on emelin last night for interference in front of Pricer. The front of the net from the hashmarks to the top of the crease has to be the spot on the ice where d-man can clear the crease and make their tenders job easier. If guys want to go there and stand there, barring punch’s to the face or cross checks, d-man should be allowed to get them out of the way even if the puck isn’t in close proximity. There once was a time when guys really had to pay a price to stay there…..ala dino ciccarelli, dave andreychuk etc. Now D can only front these guys or engage them when the puck is near by. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Let them battle for the love of all things good and holy NHL/Bettman/Zebra’s.

Shaker out!

• Lafleurguy says:

Something eerie about your words when we call to mind Gallagher.

• jimmy shaker says:

Do you mean Gallagher would take more of a beating with my view? If that’s the case…..I still don’t mind. That is the price you pay for going to the dirty area’s and taking the abuse to make life hard for opposing tenders. His next contract will address all that anyways and make it very worth his while to continue his same play. I like letting players battle, they are men playing in a contact sport. Let em go!

Shaker out!

• J Haul says:

I don’t think it’s possible for Gallagher to take more of a beating out there, regardless of how it’s called. The poor guy is mugged every game. For the most part, I think guys actually still are allowed to clear out a bit, but everyone knows it’s all subject the the whims of the officials working any given night.

53. Mr. Biter says:

Habs are 8-2 in last 10 games but have lost 3 points to Bruin’s 9-0-1 and one to Tampa 7-0-3. The hottest 3 teams all in the Atlantic division. Tampa game will be a big one.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

54. UKRAINIANhab says:

Good Afternoon everyone, these last couple of games have been very fun to watch. Going into every game I just know we are going a get yet another victory! Some complaints here about Bouillon, I know he is not very good, but I personally would rather have him in come playoff time over Tinordi come playoffs. I mean, how many “rookie errors” is he allowed to have. Anyways, Briere looks like he is starting to play well. Looking forward to Tuesday to getting Pleks back Tuesday Hopefully.

55. lizard ranger says:

For some reason I was just looking up Dave Manson . Anyone remember him ? Was he as nutbar as I remember . Can anyone name the 7 nhl teams he played for ?

56. Dunboyne Mike says:

UnkleGary,
    Ha! Stumbled on your Kilkenny reply. Glad you enjoyed it so much, and hope you don’t leave it too long to come back for more. Were you amazed by the absence of hostility between fans given the incredible intensity of the inter-county championships?

• UnkleGary says:

Absolutely. Kilkenny is a small county population wise, and in the semi final it was about 70000 Cork fans to 12000 Kilkenny fans, but I never felt anything but safe and enjoyment. I seem to remember that drinking wasn’t really available at the match, maybe that has something to do with it.
      An incredible experience and what a great way to run a league. Maybe not the best for the players, but having the team of players that were born and grew up in your county make an unbelievable connection to the team.

CH-eers!

• UnkleGary says:

Where are you located yourself?
      And I’ll try hard to be back but I’m just starting school again in the fall. I made some incredible friends there and would love to go back ASAP for the Guinness, the hurling, the music, the craic in general!

CH-eers!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m in Dunboyne, co Meath, just a little north-west of Dublin. We will definitely hook up when you make it back. What are you studying?

• UnkleGary says:

I just finished a Linguistics degree at Concordia and I’m starting at University of. Victoria in the fall to do elementary education.
          Just did a quick map search, and what a lovely place. Dublin was interesting, but the Wicklow mountains and Glendalough area are really amazing. What is Dunboyne like?

CH-eers!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

If we didn’t have family situated in various locations concentrated here on the north side of Dublin (and I suppose if we’d had a little more moolah) we would have settled in the Wicklow mountains. They are really hills, by Canadian standards, but the area is stunningly beautiful, full of history, within striking range of Dublin.

Dunboyne is very unspectacular by comparison, but what I love about it is that, even though it is now very much within the Dublin commuter belt (18km), it remains an actual village, centred by a green, a few shops and hairdressers, two churches, 4 pubs, one high school, three elementary (huge Catholic; tiny Protestant; small Irish language-immersion), a dentist, a doctor a vet, and the terminus for both train and bus routes into Dublin.

But imagine — only one Habs fan (apart from my kids who know what the deal is with my will).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Is that linguistics as in Chomsky?
            Great that you’re training for elementary teaching — dunno about Canada, but in Ireland that sector really needs a lot more men.

CBC’s The Sunday Edition featured a young teacher, I think in Victoria, who brilliantly incorporates the study of philosophy into her teaching. The kids love it, and it is of immense value to them.

My apologies if this is all old news to you! I teach high school but what she says is of great interest to me.

• UnkleGary says:

Chomsky was a big part of the program, as well as phonology, phonetics, semantics, morphology and syntax. There was a historical aspect as well as concepts studies, language acquisition and language change. If I had to break it down, it would be the scientific study of why and how we speak and comprehend language, and how language universals interact with each other. Neat stuff.
            What got me into teaching was a two year stint as a teachers assistant at a school for special needs kids, I worked in the primary sector, and like you mentions, there were barely any male teachers or TAs. Lots of the kids came from broken homes and it was rewarding to provide a good male influence, so that’s probably the direction I’ll head towards.
            Really interesting article, I saved the link so I can go back to it when I start my studies.
            Do you teach a certain subject? Are you from Ireland?
            When we arrived in Ireland we were planning on staying in Dublin, but after a weekend in Kilkenny we decided to try it there. Went to a pub on the Saturday night, the Habs were playing the Leafs. They opened up the upstairs for me and found the game on Sesanta, brought me Guinness, and let me stay after the pub closed to watch the end. It was sealed and my local pub was established, great times!!!

CH-eers!

57. jeffhabfan says:

Another big win from the habs last night. Did not like the last 2 periods but a win is a win.GO HABS GO.

58. hansolo says:

I’m surprised Timo hasn’t brought this up (if he has, I haven’t seen it and I apologize).

I have the solution to the Habs’ PP woes: Sign MAB.

Do it, MB!

59. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Hobie

Maybe CBC-TSN can talk about this during the playoffs….

Jul 16, 2013
    Tim Leiweke, the new chief of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., is so confident the Toronto Maple Leafs will soon end a 46-year Stanley Cup drought that he’s mapped a victory-parade route for the hockey team.

“I have it planned out and it’s going to be fantastic,” Leiweke said

“I’m a big Dave Nonis fan, and I want a culture here that is different than the one I stepped into.”

“If you look around world, the great brands are Real Madrid, Manchester United. The Yankees, the Cowboys and the Lakers are there,” he said.
    “We should aspire with the Maple Leafs to be there.”

• CJ says:

Cowboys have ONE playoff victory since 1994. He’s right about the brand, but the Leafs could find a better franchise to model themselves after.

It’s all about once upon a time. Sadly, for Toronto fans anyway, they are further away today than they were a year ago. Those contracts are like leg irons.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Crazy stuff, CJ

If anyone complains about some habs contracts, they should be reminded about Phaneuf ($7M/7 years)-Clarkson ($5.25M for 6 more years)-Gleason ( $4M for 2 more years)

Just those 3 represent about 23%-24% of the total available max. Cap Space for next year

• Paz says:

If I was the Leafs GM I would offer Subban a 7 yr 63 million dollar deal.

I think the Habs would pass.

• Cal says:

With the Habs en route to a better team that can contend, do you really think PK signs that offer sheet and opens himself to the inevitable sh*tstorm that would follow?

• Paz says:

Why is it a sht storm Cal? Subban is not married to the Habs. He feels he has a certain value to a team long term, and Toronto might be a great fit for him.

• hansolo says:

No surprise someone from “Anschluss” Entertainment would indulge in some groupthink divorced from reality.

• Lafleurguy says:

Betcha he didn’t know who Dave Nonis was couple of years ago. Sure sounded different than how Mr. Geoff Molson sounded days after Randy Cunneyworth got the interim job.

60. CJ says:

I just saw a video of Tim Bozon and the ceremonial puck drop last night. The entire Calgary Hitmen team come off the bench to shake his hand. Could someone link?

Be forewarned, you might need some Kleenex handy. Just amazing to see him out of the hospital. What an inspiration. Never discount the impact of positivity and best wishes. Cheers, CJ

61. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m licking my chops at the prospect of the CBC having zero choice but to focus solely on the Habs for weeks because no other Canadian team is making the playoffs. They’ll have to cover the Habs on one night and an American team on another.

TSN at 6:00 P.M., during That’s Hockey and at 11:00 P.M. will have no Leafs to talk about and will be forced to concentrate on the Habs.

This is going to be awesome, especially if the Habs go a few rounds, hopefully four!

Ron McLean, Glen Healy, Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson must be pissed!

Not to mention guys like Darren Dreger or guys like Nick Kypreos and Darren Millard over on Sportsnet.

I’d love to see the sorry look on all the Leafs fans faces in towns like Oshawa, Hamilton and everywhere else in Ontario when they are forced to watch the Habs while drinking their pints at the bar!

62. Maritime Ronn says:

@ CJ

Re the new CBA contracts regarding front loading and year to year variation:

” Year-to-year variability is limited to 35 per cent of the first-year compensation.
    If a player earns $10M in Year 1, the contract cannot subsequently increase/decrease by more than $3.5M from year to year.

Meanwhile, the lowest year’s compensation cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year’s compensation.
    If a player earns $10M in his highest year, he can never earn less than $5M any other year.”

There are a few other rules.

Man, did seeing Gomer ever bring back some great memories. It was like he never left. Gallop, gallop gallop, break, turn over. Gallop, gallop gallop, break, turn over. Good times.

64. UnkleGary says:

If it came down to it and you had to choose, for discussions sake, would you rather sign Vanek or Markov? Assuming they are going to get the contracts you would expect, maybe 8 mil 8 years for Vanek and 3 years 6 mil for Markov.
    I would take Vanek, just because our prospect pool can replace Markov better than Vanek. I’m hoping next year Beaulieu and Tinordi are regulars by seasons end.
    I do hope we sign both, maybe Markov for two years though… GHG

CH-eers!

65. rogieshan says:

The team has been crying for a big center since the days of Bobby Smith, but Vanek actually plays like one the way he dishes the puck. 2 for the price of 1.

During the pre-game on HNIC the panel discussed Montreal, and of course they were forced to say something positive about the Habs. I found it interesting what was said, Healy/Stock commented on how the players on the Habs genuinely like each other, that their is a bond and the team is having fun.

Nevermind what this says about MT, but wouldn’t a dressing room united be perhaps the best selling feature for a guy like Vanek? How poisoned was that dressing room in Buffalo? How much worse was it in New York where the teams leader had his best friend Moulson shipped away?

Has Vanek ever played on a team that had a strong bond? Perhaps his early years in Buffalo when that team went a few rounds in the playoffs. Yes Minnesota is the favourite, but that team is also playing horribly down the stretch.

Money and Term will be the biggest influence, but the allure of going home for Vanek’s wife could be replaced by a “home” in the dressing room while wearing the CH.

Yes, I am defintely trying to see this glass half full, heck maybe even a full glass with a meniscus on top!

67. fisher85 says:

on signing Vanik, Marinaro said it best, if the wife doesn’t like Montreal, divorce and sign here…..I am sure we can find a suitable replacement for Mrs. Vanik………and sign Him too.

fisher85

68. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

If the topic du jour is re-signing Vanek against all Mary Tyler Moore odds, forgive this editied repost from last night (sans snark) :

For all the Next Generation fans, (c’mon, you’re on a computer on a Saturday night, who ya kiddin’) having Vanek in the lineup is like a gift from Q, “here is a glimpse of your future Jean Luc Picard (Marc Bergevin) if you had a second power forward …

or, back to the future, and a same day shout out to the Dunboyne/Lizard King, this is what we had 25 years ago with Stephane Richer in his prime – and no, Gary Leeman doesn’t count.

I just hope that the 64 million dollar deal is on the table, and if MV goes somewhere else, so be it, hopefully it is respectively noted that the money is there (for others who might be Mr. Congeniality).

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

69. toinz says:

Unfortunately for Bergevin, the only exclusive chip he has is that extra year. Bergevin is the only GM that can offer Vanek a significant amount of money to play at age 37.

8 years 60 million. Front-load it if you have to. Montreal needs a player like him. The chemistry is there.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would take the gamble that Vanek will still be capable of scoring 20 goals towards the tail end of that front loaded contract.

Maybe the PQ losing the election will help in a couple weeks too?

Also has the exclusive chip in that the sweater he gives to a player is the greatest sweater in hockey history. Granted its been awhile…..but, there is still something special about a CH on a crest with a packed house to match a city full of people in love with the CH and the players wearing it.

• toinz says:

I agree,

Montreal does have a team that is on the upswing with two first liners signed for a combined 8 million. When Montreal is doing well, this city is pandemonium.

Another interesting tidbit. Until that win against Phoenix, the Wild were having a Leafs-like collapse of their own. In a division with Chicago, St. Louis and emerging Colorado, Minnesota is in a tight spot for the next few years.

• CJ says:

There are provisions in the new CBA that negates the team’s ability to structure a contract that ultimately becomes front end loaded. You won’t see any contracts like Weber’s where you give $14 million in the first year and $1 million in the last. I think the variant is capped at 30% difference (high to low).

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I’m sure Pacioretty and Desharnais will love that Vanek will make double what they make in the next few seasons

70. rogieshan says:

Convincing Vanek to resign (or acquiring an elite player of his ilk) should be the team’s number one priority this off-season. Look at the trickle-down effect he has already had on this team:

1) Gionta now where he belongs on the third line playing medium minutes.
    2) Plekanec free to bring more of his offensive game alongside Gallagher & Galchenyuk.
    3) Briere back to his natural position at centre.
    4) Eller uses his energy more effectively on the fourth line.
    5) Creating more spaces on the PP by taking the pressure off of Subban & Markov on the high point with his presence down low.
    6) No more miscasting Prust, Moen, Bourque & Bournival in a top-six role.

• Timo says:

I would wait and see how Vanek does in the playoffs before Habs throw money at him.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Everybody is right up to this point. we need to sign T Vanek or someone like him if he decides to go elsewhere. No time for half measures Timo! Now is the time to lock this guy down. We’ve seen enough to know we need him. His style of play gives one the impression he could still be useful at 38.

24 cups and counting….

71. jimmy shaker says:

Two interesting and vary telling facts on Price yesterday which also goes along with his little skirmish at the end of the buffalo game. My point being , Carey, is a very strong kid! He takes a lot of hits in the paint, lot’s of net crashing and he really never gets fazed. It’s a testament to his personality and I believe his strength. Now to last nights points. Before George and Barch went at it. It looked like carey and Barch were jarring back and forth. I could be wrong, but I could see (I know this is a stretch) but a little Ron Hextallesque personna coming out there, only a little, because he could’ve killed timmy thomas in that brawl a while back when thomas thought he was tough cheese and tried to get at carey. So I liked that part in Carey’s game last night. The second part and the most eye opening for me, was over on the canadiens.nhl.com website, Price’s interview and thoughts on Boyes goal. The reporter asked what he thought about Brad’s goal, and I thought it was a pretty sweet shot where price really didn’t have a chance at it…..And I thought Price would come back with his usual, give the guy credit, it was a nice shot etc…..but instead Price was almost angered and I thought he was done with the interview, but he said “nope, I should’ve had that” or along those lines. It really opened my eyes to carey and I really do think this was a big step up for Carey and his development and him being a top tier tender in this league. The bottom line is, that this guy has the eye of the tiger now, and dare I say stepping into the Patrick Roy Mystique of tending goal for the habitants. I know, I know I could be totally wrong, but I loved seeing Price last night on the ice and off. C’mon wings, take care of the bolts today please!

Shaker out!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I think you are right about CP31 (I certainly want you to be right anyways). Like a diamond, Carey has faced the pressure in the early days of his career in Montreal and has become hardened by that pressure. Also physically and emotionally much tougher than anyone gives him credit for. He does have that humble and respectful persona that some may mistake for weakness! Love the kid……in a fatherly sort of way, of course!

24 cups and counting….

• frontenac1 says:

Yup. Teams are trying to run Carey and get in his paint,except when Murray is there. One guy tried last night,was flattened by Crankshaft,then Carey gave Crankshaft a little tap on his shins to say thanks.

72. SA - #25 says:

should have a 5-minute penality for Gooning.

73. UnkleGary says:

Just some crow I would like to have for breakfast; I was quite hard on DD at the start of the year, but his play since the first 20 games has been excellent. He defensive game looks better, he is battling, and he is the most creative playmaker we have, save maybe Vanek now.

I was also very hard on MT. Would go so far as to say I would have been okay with a pink slip. I think I just don’t like his face/voice, I don’t know why, maybe a 24CH episode or some memory from his last stint. But he has this team playing great hockey, he has a great record, and we look to be battling for home ice during the playoffs. Well done MT, although you do still have to prove yourself in the playoffs.

Tastes good, GHG

CH-eers!

• SA - #25 says:

DD has always been a good player, his size is the main problem. if he was 6′ – 218 he’d have 30 goals by now.

• UnkleGary says:

I don’t know if him being bigger would make him better, he might lose some of his playmaking skills because he could rely on his size more. But he’d be definitely more liked! Let’s hope his stature doesn’t hurt him in the playoffs when the whistles get rusty.

CH-eers!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good post. It’s amazing how many people refuse to admit that we’re fans and our opinions are just that, opinions. I’ve always supported Therrien but hated the Desharnais contract. A couple months ago I started admitting I was big time wrong about Desharnias.

There was a time on here where there was a large contingent of people that would jump all over someone who said they wanted the Habs to get bigger and tougher. Since the moment Bergevin has arrived that’s been his number one mandate. I didn’t really see all the posters start lining up and admitting they were wrong on that one?

• UnkleGary says:

It felt good today, because the things I was wrong about mean the Habs are playing good hockey! Cheers Hobie!

CH-eers!

• Hobie Hansen says:

For sure. Desharnais is now one of my favourite players! Things change in sports!

• UnkleGary says:

It reminds me on Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev. I think they were putting up ten points a game for a while! Looks like DD, Max and Vanek are having fun, it’s nice to see.

CH-eers!

74. Strummer says:

Hope this isn’t blocked as Spam

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

75. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Does anyone else find it at least slightly difficult to enjoy the production that Vanek is bringing the Habs (or embrace Vanek as a Hab) given the strong likelihood he won’t be signing here after the season? It’s like a bit of a frustrating tease?

• ont fan says:

I love a tease and its not difficult at all. It shows me what we have been missing and that management is way smarter than the GM on here. Its a joy to see a vet like Vanek make our players better. Go on tease me more in the playoffs.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

You love a tease? I guess we differ on that. I am glad Vanek is on the Habs now and for the playoffs. I’d feel better about it if we could replace him somehow if/when he signs with Minnesota, but I don’t think we’ll be able to. But just to clarify, I like the trade Bergevin made to get Vanek, it showed balls.

Most importantly it shows MB how badly we need a Vanek. I am not sold on Moulson as even remotely the same as a replacement. He is more the grinder plugging goal scorer, whereas Vanek has high end talent and scores from dirty areas.

If we don’t re-sign Vanek a trade may be required.

But I have much more faith in today’s Habs mgmt selling Vanek on staying than our previous regime.

• Hobie Hansen says:

People have been saying that it would take something spectacular to have Vanek stay in Montreal. Something like him gelling with a couple of players and racking up the points.

I’ve heard guys like Aaron Ward say there’s no feeling like having a building full knowledgeable hockey fans cheer your name and that the Centre Bell is the best building in the world to play in.

I’d say the Habs are in the running. Bergevin is smart though and doesn’t give players a couple extra years at the end when they’re not worth the money. Do we want to be paying Vanek $9 million a year when he’s 37 or 38?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Sure do Hobie … the last years are gross overpayments to average out the true value on the open market of the first 5 years …. 12 million if we are honest but of course it doesn’t work that way.

Vanek’s size and skills are similar to Selanne … he will likely still be a big relative producer at age 38

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• twilighthours says:

Is it better to have loved and lost or never to have loved at all?