About last night …

BudajBoston

They’ll probably lose to Buffalo.
Your Montreal Canadiens most definitely will be feeling an emotional letdown when they face the Sabres at the Bell Centre Tuesday night.
The game, against a horrible team with nothing to play for, will begin less than 24 hours after the Canadiens’ heroic conquest of a very good team that had won 12 in a row and is primed for a deep run in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Let’s hope that wasn’t the last we see of Canadiens-Bruins in 2013-’14.
The postseason just won’t be the same unless these old playoff rivals hook up one more time.

And maybe, if they find themselves at the TD Garden in few weeks from now, your Montreal Canadiens will be able to use four forward lines.

Michel Therrien had a personnel crisis on his hands less than five minutes into Monday night’s game. Boston defenceman Kevan Miller ended Dale Weise’s night by crashing him into the boards, then KOed Travis Moen right out of the game in the subsequent punch-up.

As he is wont to do in moments of crisis, Therrien leaned on his veterans.

And man, did the geezers ever come up big – none bigger than the Canadiens captain.

Brian Gionta played 26:19 – more than any other forward on either team. The 35-year-old’s ToI was exceeded by only Andrei Markov’s 29:05 and Zdeno Chara’s 26:40.

Gionta’s ice time included seven minutes on the physically-demanding penalty-kill. Gionta assisted on the Alexei Emelin goal that gave the Canadiens an early lead, and he blocked four shots.

Tomas Plekanec played 23:42, including almost six minutes on the PK. Max pacioretty played 22:27, David Desharnais 19:42 and Thomas Vanek 17:38.

Despite a shortened bench, Shootout hero Alex Galchenyuk played only 12:28 through 65 minutes. Daniel Brière played 12:55 – five seconds less than Michäel Bournival.

Therrien relied on five defencemen. While Weaver earned major minutes, Douglas Murray played only 14:33, 5:21 of which was on the PK.

The list of bleu-blanc-rouge heroes begins, of course, with Peter Budaj.

Budaj hadn’t started a game since losing to Boston on March 12 at the Bell Centre. But he was 4-0 lifetime against the Bruins at TD Garden.

Therrien played a hunch. And as has been the case more often this season than the coach’s legion of detractors would admit, Therrien was right.

Through the first period and the beginning of the second, the Bruins looked like they were on a continuous power play. Budaj made 21 stops through 40 minutes, including a superb glove save on Milan Lucic.

And the goaltender got help from another hero, journeyman Mike Weaver. The defenceman played 20:12, blocked three shots and stood up to the pounding Boston inflicted en route to a 36-24 advantage in hits.

That’s nothing new. The Canadiens are outhit in every game, most recently a 37-18 pounding in Toronto.

They take a licking but keep on ticking. The team’s resilience speaks volumes about their character and, yes, Therrien’s ability to get a small roster to punch above its weight.

Despite losing Weise and watching Moen play Mike Komisarek to Miller’s Milan Lucic, the Canadiens refused to be intimidated. Alexei Emelin displayed particular valour and toughness. He was a target of the Bruins after landing a big hip check on Lucic less than two minutes into the game.

As has come to be the norm in the NHL, Emelin’s clean hit drew a retaliatory assault from Zdeno Chara. And late in the game, Lucic speared Emelin from behind – a cheap shot described as a “love tap” by the cretinous P.J. Stock, who is ruining L’Antichambre for me.

Of course, Emelin’s refusal to “answer the bell” will be highlighted this Saturday on Coach’s Corner – the more so because bashing a Russian will take Cherry’s increasingly enfeebled mind off the late-season collapse of his beloved Leafs.

Despite being outmuscled by a team that is, let’s be honest – better, at least on paper, the Canadiens beat the Bruins in three of their four meetings this year.

Spring just wouldn’t be spring without these teams hooking up in a playoff series.

But it won’t happen until the second round at the earliest.

1. Marc10 says:

Gotta give props to the captain and to Bruin Killer Budaj. The chips were down and they led their team mates by example. That was a gutsy performance, especially when the refs tried to tilt the ice to the home team’s advantage. On ya Habs!

Mike Boone ! great recap of a classic hard fought win. You covered most of the highlights but a very important one indeed.

THE REFEREEING! We often call out the poor refs for missing a call or calling a game a little one sided. Last night was another example of the weakest dimension of the NHL in today’s game.

We have gone to the two man refereeing system because of the lack of ability for one pair of eyes to see the game properly, but today we have two pair of eyes covering the play, and they come up with one stupid call after another, without being able to even review the play.
    Fans have been complaining about the poor referees since the game was invented. But now we have referees fabricating and making phantom calls because they think something happened, not what they saw at all.

I know my comments are like pissing against the wind and I won’t list all of the poor calls or non calls of last night, except for one blatant call late in the game against Gallagher. The kid made a perfect and legal hockey play back checking and stripping the puck away before the Boston player fell on his own. The ref just thought he must have tripped him, but he did not.

I just wonder who holds these referees accountable to the game and the paying public.? Are there any discipline measures for such poor calling of games?

I wanted to write about this last night, but after squirming and twisting in my chair for hours with every play last night, I needed a shower and my bed to be able to compose my thoughts in the morning with less emotion. So now you have them.
    I am looking for the same effort and fun tonight, if we have any healthy bodies left!

IAN

• jimmy shaker says:

Right there with ya Ian. Instead of a shower I had a couple of pops and watched the highlights over and over on all the different stations.

shaker out!

• Old Bald Bird says:

I absolutely agree with the notion that they call what they think happened. This has been my view for some time. And yet, they frequently ignore what they clearly do see.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Who holds the refs accountable?

The guy who was hired to a lucrative deal by Jeremy Jacobs, that’s who.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Ian

Didn’t see your post before I posted mine only 6 minutes later.
      I guess us +50 guys remember the good old days of Frank Udvari and Art Scov…Bill Friday and Bruce Hood, or some of the more recent guys like Paul Stewart, Fraser, Koharski…

They knew how to control and call a game – not like the BS we witness today.

They rarely decided the outcomes of games, where today they appear to want to decide or influence the outcome of games…Playoffs included

• Ian Cobb says:

Right Ronn, It sure makes me boil!!!
        The fact that the NHL Boston team, was being written about in every newspaper and media forum, are huge free advertising dollars that dry up once the winning streak is over. It all plays into the equation of how to call the game.!!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Ian

Later on, I’m going to go and do a review of the 12 game winning streak and see if there is a trend.
          Something tells me there will be…

3. murfdog says:

Alright alright I knew our HABS would pull it off, I did put my pay cheque on it and I knew the HABS would do it. They dont go to Boston to try and out tough them, they are black fly right in the center of the back where you cant reach it to the bruins. They go that game out of the way now they should be as loose as a goose tonight. And to all the “HAB” fans that put that certain doubt all the time(yesterday and saturday) you have to believe in them, MT does make some WTF calls but dont forget he brought this team out of the basement. And another thing I wanted to add, not only did the habs beat the big bad bruins last night they also beat the refs in the third period. For any ref to call Gallahger for hooking is a stright up dumb ass and should be reffing senior hockey on a friday night, that play on Gally happens at least 20 times a night. I almost threw my beer through my dads TV. GO HABS GO

4. Max says:

The Bruins are pure scum.Filthy,dirty team.Very underhanded and sly.Lucic is as dirty and sly as they come and his boyfriend Chara, the big nasty ape,trying to come in and fight for him.How sweet.The Bruins remind me of Cyril Sneer’s dirty bear,hockey team from “The Raccoons” of yesteryear.

• jimmy shaker says:

I think keith will be the winner. Totally fine with him not mentioning PK. He’s been up and down and really not better than keith, doughty or chara. Although he has picked up his game since the olympic break. I would go with giordano or keith for my picks. As long as Karlson isn’t mentioned than I’m fine!

Shaker out!

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed. Subban wasn’t great last night. He had two of those dumb, unnecessary turnovers at the other team’s blueline in the first few minutes. You can understand why he upsets his coaches.

• BJ says:

PK on his s..t list?

Obviously nice to see the Habs win against the Bruins, but the fact remains the Bruins are a very, very good team and the Habs are only so, so good. I’d like to be proven wrong but the Bruins look like they are built for a deep play-off run and the Habs for an early exit.

The Habs have a ways to go.

Lucic’s spear on Emelin was disgusting. Galchenyuk’s shoot out move was sick.

• Max says:

…….but the habs still beat them almost everytime they play.Go figure.It’s easy to be a “good” team when you get tons of phantom calls are are allowed to molest the opposition without punishment. Pure scum is what they are.They reflect everything wrong with NHL hockey.

• Cal says:

The Habs reside in the deepest recesses of the Gooins’ brains. Whenever they need to, they just press on a nerve and all of Boston freaks out. Bruins are built for a deep playoff run. Habs are built to take them out. Either way, if it happens, it’ll be a lot of fun to watch.

6. JUST ME says:

The tone of this place is set at the beginning by Boone and his guys. Read the first line of what should be a very happy and confident day . «They’ll probably lose to Buffalo.«
    One small sentence that tells it all on how you should think in MTL and mostly never be positive and optimistic . It is sad that the negative side always takes more space that the opposite. I wonder if Boone does notice this obvious tendancy to find every way to stir up sh…

The Habs have been there for most of the important games this season and yesterday`s game was the perfect example of when the whole team pitches in , it can reach any goal. No one to blame yesterday cause when you play short staffed you have to do everything right and win the small battles that make a difference at the end.

7. habs-hampton says:

So, I haven’t heard, is Shanny going to have a look at the Lucy spear? That’s about as dirty as it gets.

• Captain aHab says:

He’ll probably get a $25 fine and a handshake from Bettman.

Meanwhile, if Emelin pulled that on Lucic, Cherry would go on about it for the next decade.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. habs-hampton says:

I guess its confirmed… PJ Stock is really a girl, because every male I know, cringed when Lucy gave Emelin that “love tap” between the legs. Oh, and PK, just so you know, that’s a real tender area to guys, and it doesn’t take a two-hander to hurt really bad in that spot.

• Captain aHab says:

Stock can’t feel these love taps because of his Depends.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

9. BJ says:

The team soldiered on with 3 lines and Budaj proved me wrong as I mentioned that I was not very confident with him in nets. Bergevin is going to have to go out and find some “toughness” and “size” as you can squeeze by a win here and there the way we did last night but lets face it we were totally dominated except on the scoreboard. And the domination came from being undersized. I loved the courage that our smaller players displayed but I don’t think you can go too deep in the playoffs with the current roster. But again you have to admire the courage.

• HardHabits says:

It was a truly valiant effort but it was like boys to men. All I kept thinking is that it was nice to see the Habs hang with the Bruins. But hanging on for dear life is not far from how tight their grip was.

• murfdog says:

The shots were just about even dont remeber exactly but you have to look, habs relay on the goaltending and play that defence game, get scoring chances and come through. The habs are where they are for a reason, look at the leafs, there # 1 goalie went down and now they are alomost outside looking in. When price went down the habs stood there ground. Believe man Believe. GO HABS GO

10. habs-hampton says:

Does Vanek remind you guys of anyone? Kovalev? When Vanek comes to play, he’s scary good. When doesn’t want to play, he just floats around like a zombie. I thought he’d really be up for this, since he’s always played well against the B’s. Although I can’t imagine a Bos-Buf game compares to a Habs-B’s game.

11. rhino514 says:

Question:

Would Bergevin have gotten rid of Cammalleri?
    Discuss

12. Blade says:

Hats off to the boys last night! Very impressed with Emelin, Weaver, Gionta, Gallagher, Murray, Markov and especially Budaj! I was worried when Moen and Weise went down but they sucked it up. The happiest team in the world will be the team that plays the winner of this series in the playoffs….Habs/bruins will beat the snot out of each other.

Let’s get two more tonight, boys! And please no complaining from this site about the day off that is coming to them Wednesday.

13. rhino514 says:

So the way I see it, I´d rather have Vanek for 7 million than Cammalleri for 6 million. We really need someone who can score and who is not a smurf. MB, at least make the guy a good offer. No?
    I know, I know, he won´t be back, but one can dream….

14. DipsyDoodler says:

New Habs for next season:

John Scott?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• BJ says:

I’m getting really tired of seeing the Habs getting man-handled. Can they find 1-2 guys that can defend themselves and win fights or at least not get KO’d. Are McGrattan, Gazdic and anyone else who can take a punch and intimidate available. Enough is enough. Ii was great to win but a seven game series against teams like Boston? You would probably need half the Bulldogs team and a few ECHL guys to plug into the lineup.

15. boing007 says:

“I felt bad about it. I just kind of bumped into (Weise),” Miller said. “I stood there just trying to make sure he was OK for a second and Moen asked if I wanted to (fight).”

Richard R

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hey Adam

What part of the Habs winning the game despite playing with three lines and spending most of the 3rd period on the penalty kill makes them pussies? Are Gionta, Plekanec and Markov pussies?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• adamkennelly says:

give your head a shake man. MT chose not to dress White, Tinordi, I won’t say Parros cause lets be honest – we won’t see him again..and 2 of our 4th line tougher guys got hurt. If game had gotten out of hand score wise – would have been really ugly – lets not forget about Lucic spearing Emelin in the nuts..bottom line – when playing a team like Boston, you need to protect your players or they will get hurt.

ya ya ya Habs won the game in a shoot-out – they had plenty of PP chances themselves and prolly were not the better team but you made your point…what was it again?

• rhino514 says:

Feel bad for Moen. If he can´t intimdate nor use his size what exactly can he do? Nice guy, but he can´t get it done anymore.
      I´d rather have all of Prust, Bourque, Bournival, Weise, Eller, and maybe even White ahead of him.

• Mike Boone says:

He’s being honest. The shove on Weise was no big deal. Weise just fell awkwardly.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

16. Can anyone tell me if refs have to review the game and if they answer to anyone for the feces like calls that they make? It isn’t just our time that is inflicted by this ceerap. I get so upset that sometimes I just want to start a zebras suck website that shows all the missed and bad calls of every game every night. Maybe that would embarrass what is supposed to be a professional league into doing something about consistency and the need to protect players from neanderthals like Lucy!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

4th Line tonight?

White/Eller/Bournival?

18. howiemorenz7 says:

Who are PJ Stock’s fans? I haven’t met a single person with more than two brain cells to rub together that doesn’t think he’s a tool. Puzzled that he has a job doing what he does. “love tap” – if the NHL had any ‘nads, they’d ding the big jerk for a pair of games, a little $$$$ love tap.

As for Boychuk on PK, that too was so blatantly obvious, it should also be reviewed. But we all know how Jacobs / NHL / Bettman works, all we’ll get is

Gutsy win. Look forward to who the 4th line will be tonight: Parros, Bernie and Larry?

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• Hey… Don Cherry is variously described as a national treasure and wise old commentator. If he is still on the air and cherished like that instead of destitute and dressed in Hello Kitty Jammies at home sucking on his NHL ring finger, drooling while he wets his depends, then you’ll understand why PJ is filling the airwaves with his bunk. Media executives pretending to know what draws viewers and listeners.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

19. jrs10069 says:

What a frustrating game to watch. First the Moen incident. If you’re going to bother standing up for your teamate then do it. Don’t go over and sign a contract to scrap first. Miller is tough, he’s smacked Smith on the turds around twice which is why Moen hesitated but just grab him punch him 3 times and then hip toss him into the ice. I feel badly for him, took a good shot to the temple, could be career ending.

I don’t understand why Parros and Tinordi were not in the lineup. You need them against the Bruins, especially if Emelin is going to be hunting Lucic all night (rightfully so) or your players get hurt period.

Weaver is better than Georges, great move by MB.

Lucic will get suspended 2 games guaranteed.

Agree with the boss, PJ is a total idiot who is way too big for his tiny little britches. Damphousse wanted to smack him out last night.

jrs10069

20. DipsyDoodler says:

Michael McCarron is finding his game, apparently:

(The ‘ne’ in the url is a typo)

—–
    Moving. Forward.

21. jeffhabfan says:

What a big win. They all say they are better than us but we win more than we lose. They are so dirty it makes me sick but what a great game. I hope there is no letdown tonight from the boys.GO HABS GO.

22. Bash says:

On on we go.

This bullshit will never go away. Last “meaningless” game against a rival and the clear intention is to injure.

Then after 45 minutes of slash, charge, kick and bite the refs assert their authority with at least two very soft calls for lifting the stick??

Why do I watch this stuff??

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

23. rhino514 says:

Every year it´s the same, the Bruins take out some of our players right before the playoffs. Imagine if they would have succeeded in taking out Emelin?
    Fortunately, the damage was limited to fourth liners, of which we have many.
    I realize we were dominated for most of the game, but a (relatively) healthy Prust would have made a big difference in a game like this. I still feel we have a psychological edge on them, and with a healthy team I really feel it would be a wash or better in the playoffs.
    The problem is, how many bodies would go down in the series?

Therrien proved me wrong with the Budaj move once again. Weren´t we all hollering at him prior to the game? It takes alot of balls to make decisions like that.
    I actually think Therrien, along with management, have been irreproachable in certain kinds of personnel decisions. The decisions to rest Price and Prust, for example, for the playoffs. The acquisition of Weaver and Vanek. The move of Eller to the fourth line (as much as I believe in him), the non-move of Galchenyuk to centre during a presuure-ridden playoff run. I even approve of having Tinordi up instead of Beaulieu, attitude-wise. Even small things like sending down Bournival to Hamilton where he promptly scored two goals and we could see he has his game back.
    HEOTP lambasted Therrien for not wanting diaz, putting on a whole exposé of how Diaz is a great bottom pairing guy and Murray is the worst regular Dman in the NHL. Diaz is now playing 6 minutes a game having been traded twice. Murray? Her´s the one issue i have with management. I clamour for Tinordi in his place. But having Murray patrol the crease against teams such as the Bruins and Leafs has been very handy, if only as an intimidation factor.
    The thing with Therrien is he is still juggling lines 70 games in. And 24CH may not be much of an indication, but he doesn´t seem to stir the player´s blood as a coach.
    I think as a whole, management has done a real good job putting together a strong team for the playoffs, and trying to keep them healthy for the playoffs. They look like a better playoff team than in years past, and I would expect them to beat Tampa, even if we finish below the Bolts, as long as the hospital ward doesn´t keep piling up in the last few games.

24. olegpetrov says:

I find myself to be a fairly objective hockey fan. I am a die hard Habs fan, but I can recognize when penalties are deserved.

However, I can not for the life of me figure out how anybody would think that the Emelin hit on Lucic was dirty. That was TEXTBOOK hipcheck. Clean and brilliant. Lucic stating after the game that Emelin is dirty really needs to look at 99% of what his douchebag buddy Marchand does.

Answering the bell? Why? Because he threw a bloody good hit? That crap needs to be suspendable.

I don’t even care that Lucic gave him a light spear at the end. For me, that just fuels the rivalry.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• rhino514 says:

2 of the last 3 calls on us were soft, Murray and I forget who was the other guy was.
      It would have been heart-breaking to lose that game because of all those calls. I was so happy we got two points out of this one!

25. piter says:

Somebody mentioned last night that Moen hit his head on the ice, after the punch. I didn’t see it since the camera angle changed right after the knockout punch. Did anyone else hear that?

26. habfan01 says:

Over on NESN, Lucic is calling Emelin a coward for a dirty hit on him. Claims it was an attempt to go knee on knee and injure. Oh, and he also claims he did NOT spear Emelin in the nuts.

27. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. I am always amazed at the sometimes mystery of sports. Why do certain hitter hit well against certain pitchers? Why do some golfers play best on certain golf courses? Why do certain back up goalies seem to have other team’s number?

Yesterday, someone on HIO while not necessarily meaning to insult Budaj, called him a third string goalie. In fairness his disagreement of Budaj getting the call over Price was the cause of his angst but just the same this guy has been a key player in this teams season.

We all saw the drop off of his game when asked to carry the load but playing a few games a month? You couldn’t ask for a better backup. In addition, it appears he’s a wonderful teammate and his wife is pretty to look at as well. :)

I’m going to watch the game again after lunch but I think Gionta deserves a nod this morning as well.

CHeers all!

28. twilighthours says:

There’s so much great stuff about this lucic thing

1) I love how the bruins get to continually redefine toughness. Now the beautiful, technical hip check is a cowardly move. Got it.

2) so does this make boychuck a coward? He went much lower than emelin did.

3) checking lucic is less “poking the bear” and more “awakening the petulant toddler.”

4) I’m always a big fan of that brave move: sticking a guy in his scrotum from behind.

I’ll be sorry to have to work today, there is sure to be great stuff all over the internet.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Twi! There was a point in last nights game where I really thought the Bruins strategy was to injure as many Habs as they could and the heck with the game.

I know this is a funny question given the team but I’ll ask it anyway. Is there any possibility that the league reviews the spear to the Emelin family jewels and offers supplemental discipline? I know, I know, stop laughing but seriously, will they?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Lucic hit his girlfriend during an argument. That’s the kind of non-coward he is.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

A typical bully attitude: They can dish it out but they can’t take it.

29. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

People should recall that when we won two playoff rounds in 2010 that we played two relatively passive and non-physically intimidating teams and Halak absolutely stood on his head. We were badly outshot in most games. We’re not a good playoff team when the play gets more physical, tighter checking and refs put away the whistles (and Plekanec goes looking for his mommy).

30. zephyr says:

now we know how the bruins had a 12 game streak: the refs hand them pp’s for half the game. only 1 penalty was real & that was bouillon’s high stick. the rest were either ref’s fraud or incompetence.
    I love the way markov makes the linesmen go get the puck & ignores officials when he knows they’re screwing the team. the refs were giving the b’s as many pp’s as they needed to score.
    murray was a force in his own end again & he ragdolled more than a few bruins incl lucic. that’s where we wind up playing most of the game when we’re in a defensive shell so we better have some muscle back there to take care of things. that weaver can dish it out – & take it too. still think tinordi should’ve played instead of bouillon.
    it’s good to beat the bruins but that win was ugly. they all seem to be ugly lately when we win. we’re certainly not dominating anyone.
    we barely laid a glove on the boston dmen while our dmen took a pounding – again.
    vanek played a lazy game. outside of that 1 game where dd & max set him up for 2, he’s done very little so far. bourque has played much better the last 2 games than vanek.
    briere is useless most games. he looks like peter pan out there.
    moen should be let go next year. he doesn’t hit & can’t score or fight. the bruins have half a dozen guys that can hit & fight & we have who? prust – who’s a middleweight. murray. tinordi. Weiss? white? parros is toast. once Weiss was out, all we had left was murray. we have some rabid fans that want to get rid of murray!
    there were many times when galchenyuk looked brilliant. same for Gallagher as usual. max & dd play well together every game.
    other teams can’t match subban & markov.
    I hate when we sit back & let other teams bring the game to us. we could have easily lost to both the leafs & the bruins. we’re not going to win a series against either team playing like we have. we’ve got a ways to go b4 we’re going to seriously contend.

31. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

So now how many games lost will Weise and Moen have to injury?

32. heavyd75 says:

Worried about the emotional letdown for tonight’s game but I feel we have what it takes! Go Habs Go

33. jon514 says:

In other news… Check out Martin Reway! 7pts and +8 through 2 playoff games in the Q!!

34. Da Hema says:

Of course they will not. See my post above.

One team that I definitely don’t want Habs to face in the playoffs is the Flyers.

36. Da Hema says:

Can someone provide a counterpoint to what I have to write please. Is there some reason why the Habs simply cannot call up someone from their farm system when they play the Bruins next (playoffs or otherwise), and just have that guy shatter Chara’s wrist with a two-hander? So the player gets suspended. Big deal.

37. Stevie.Ray says:

Lucic denying he speared Emelin is crazy, but the fact no reporter had the balls to call him on his BS was just as crazy.

38. PeterD says:

Rivalries are great for selling tickets and during the regular season….
    But quite frankly I would much rather the Habs not face either the Leafs or Bruins in the playoffs.
    Borh of those teams are goon squads that are intent on injuring our layers. For the Habs to seriously
    take long playoff run they need all players healthy.
    Tonight was a good demo of the risk of facing the Bruins…Kevan Miller takes out two of the Habs on one shift.
    For my money I would like the Bruins knocked out as early as possible and the Leafs not to make the playoffs at all.
    Lets keep our eyes on the prize….Cup #25.
    There will be lots of great hockey without having to face the goon squads of the Bruins and Leafs.

39. Lil Snapper says:

So proud!! Great effort! Buck you Fruins!!!

40. tanzereyes says:

I went to CBC after the game, only story (with Video) about the Habs ending the Bruins 12 game win streak;

“Kevan Miller managed to kill two birds with one stone on Monday night.

The Boston Bruins defenceman was involved in two incidents on the same shift that sent a pair of Montreal Canadiens forwards to the dressing room in the first period.

Miller levelled Dale Weise into the boards from behind, to which Canadiens teammate Travis Moen took exception. Moen proceded to engage Miller, and while the two tussled, Moen got the worst of it and was knocked down.

Both Habs players were visibly dazed and would leave the game without returning. Millar got a five-minute major for fighting and a two-minute minor for cross-checking.

Watch the play unfold by clicking above. What do you think?”By Rod Perry, CBC Sports Posted: Mar 24, 2014 10:13 PM ET

What is wrong with the CBC ?

Penalties on Gallagher and Murray were beyond ridiculous. Everything, and I mean, everything was going against the Habs tonight. That what makes that win so much sweeter. I jsut hope Moen and Weise are not long term.

• jimmy shaker says:

So satisfying hearing lucheese wine tonight….wonder what edwards was saying up in the booth? Yes Timo, a sweet sweet win. Hoping a let down is not in store tonight! Moen, looking like he did probably won’t return till the playoffs. Looked like a concussion. White can replace him, but Weezy will be a bigger loss. Hope he is good to go soon. Parros vs Scott tonight! Take it to the bank.

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

Parros vs Scott… the most pointless fight in the world. Parros vs Lucic – that would be a useful fight. Lucic out of hockey with concussion.

• jimmy shaker says:

Maybe just a couple games……hate seeing anybody get hurt. I know it will be useless but it’s gonna happen anyway. Cheesy would never fight Parros, he knows better! Would love to see, but never will.

shaker out!

• Timo says:

That’s why Habs need a player who is just crazy like Trevor Gillies. He would never care if Lucic wants to fight or not. He would skate from behind and sucker punch Lucic the f out of his NHL career.

• jimmy shaker says:

Again, I like your enthusiasm, but as much as I hate the cubs, I never want to see anyone get a career ending injury.

shaker out!

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Did Therrien argue that call? He should have. Or did he stand there with his mouth open in an ‘O’ shape like he wanted to suck on something

42. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Markov played with a bur under his saddle tonight. Love seeing that side from the usual stoic Russian.
    Gonna be a lot of ice on the boys tonight. This team can sure put up a stinker now and then(which team doesn’t) but when it comes time to battle they can sure surprise. I guess this is that “character” we hear about.
    Great week. Stuck a fork in the Senturds,gave the Leafs a boot in the ass and not only ended the win streak for the Bruins but seemed to drive them completely nuts.

43. Habcouver says:

Lucic denying the spear?
    Just riDICKulus.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

44. NLhabsfan says:

Bruins are a mean spirited team…plain and simple.But it was nice to see that we can play with heads.There not going to easily forget this night.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

If we played in the playoffs Bruins would injure about half our team. We need to be the physical initiators or intimidators for a change. Gryba’s hit on Eller stunned and changed the series last year.

45. Habcouver says:

Looking forward to this game on 24CH episode.

Just watched the latest show with the Comeback game vs. the Turds.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

There is one remarkable record that Habs hold this season – they are 31-0-3 when leading after 2. THat’s impressive.

47. HabsNG says:

Moen heroically stands up for a teammate, is likely seriously injured and is referred to in a condescending tone. By the way, great journalism, another thrilling article about ToI. Stats I can find in a column. Cherry reference “enfeebled”, is this the pot calling the kettle black?

• D Mex says:

By chance, are you referring to a comment about Moen in the following post from the resident ” journalist ” ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex ↓
      - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
      Mike Boone MARCH 25, 2014 AT 12:20 AM
      Canadiens lead the league in concussed goons.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• laGrandeTerreur says:

LOL love it

LOL… TSN disabled comment for the Habs-Bruins recap story.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what’s the odds the NHL are right now evaluating Miller and Lucic suspensions for boarding Weise and spearing Emelin in the balls ?

…should I take out a second mortgage on My home to cover the Las Vegas odds on that potential ?

So… day off tomorrow?

Did anyone catch a clip where Lucic calls Emelin a chicken? The same Lucic who would gingerly skate away from Laraque. What a retard.

52. Led says:

What about the “haymaker” by McQuaid(?) that just missed Subban’s face? Talk about an over-reaction!

• Timo says:

Boychuck and he got penalized on the play. Bruins just cant’ take it like stand up atheletes. They are Neanderthals who to be all concussed and spend the rest of their lives in the dark room with soft pillows.

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

I’m sure dr. Rechi will be glad to take them all.

Live long & prosper

• Led says:

Yeah Boychuk, thanks. Man that guy’s got a short fuse.

Yeah, he got penalized, but I don’t think it was for the punch or the low hit where he went after Subbie’s knees.

Man I hate that team. I even hate Bergeron.

For the first time this season I take my hat off to these players. Despite being practically sabotaged by their own coach they never quit and played their hearts out tonight.

Let’s start by not dressing Tinordi, White and even Parros. Moen wouldn’t have to be knocked out by Miller and guaranteed Chara and Lucic would have behaved much differently.

Also, what was the point of having Murray practicing with PK if they didn’t play together during the game. Anyone has an explanation for that?

Weaver had good game… I liked how he nailed Kelly I think… doesn’t matter. He has mean and nasty to him and Habs are sorely missing that. This team needs more nastiness. Let’s be honest, while they survived tonight, there is no way Habs can last 7 games against this Bruins team. There will no players left.

Is Weise ok? How about Moen? While there is no pressing need to play them tomorrow I do hope that especially Weise is not seriously injured. Looked like it was his hand.

Anyway, I am glad they won and like I said, hats of to these players tonight. But please, please please get rid off Therrien.

54. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Too bad Milan got rejected by Emmy… I think he was just so heartbroken when he “got the puck in deep” with a “bomb of a forecheck” and Emmy said no. As a result, Milan tried to draw him “into the closet” with his “love tap”, so to speak. Once Emmy was in this closet, Milan would proceed to commit the act of “showing the puck in the crease”

Live long & prosper

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

…curious to find out if RDS keeps bringing back P.J. on A.C. only to make the Anglos look bad

56. gmur says:

When Stock took to the “Smart Board” in L’Antichambre to explain how the Canadiens enter the offensive zone, the juxtaposition of opposites was too much… I’d had enough. I will no longer watch the little chimp try to explain hockey, whether it’s in English or in French. I switched to Le Match on TVA and found them to be a lot more interesting. Theodore is a pretty good analyst… it doesn’t take much to impress after listening to Stock talk hockey schlock.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…next time I second guess Therrien for playing Weaver, Boullion and Murray …tell Me to Shut The F Up !!! :)

58. PrimeTime says:

Good ALN but the doomers will dismiss it.

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• D Mex says:

Hey there PT :
      Appears you were a busy guy – working hard to rid the streets of the moronic riff-raff tonight. Well done & keep up the good work !
      :-D

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

59. Oleg Lupien says:

Hello Commentariat,

I’ve been a long-time reader of this site and these comments and decided to get off the couch and register after tonight’s sweet win.

Tonight’s game only proves why we absolutely need a Parros-like player in the line-up against this collection of scum. The moment Moen and Weise went down, the Bruins were far more dirty than in other games in the past few years.

I’m tired of Thornton laughing at DD just because DD didn’t want to absorb a hit (first period) and in the second period a scrum in front of Budaj only started because Campbell shoves a Hab D-man and then Thornton headlocks Markov. Or when Marchand shoves Pleks as Pleks was skating by their bench after a whistle.

They felt they could take liberties and to an extent they did. Our boys didn’t back down nor did they get sucked down to their level, but boy-o-boy what I wouldn’t give to have Brian McGrattan on the Habs! I don’t care if he only plays 5 minutes a game – just the deterrent effect is absolutely worth it!

• gmur says:

If you think tonight was bad, wait until the playoffs. The refs will put away their whistles and allow Marchand, Lucic et al to maul any of the skill players they choose to. The penalties called against the Habs in the 3rd were a disgrace to NHL officiating other than the high sticking call against Bouillon.

• rmaclean says:

You are exactly right on the penalties in the third. Julien had a long talk with the ref between periods. I bet that has something to do with it.

Welcome aboard!

60. hockeyreps says:

We won wtf a bit if optimism maybe ???

61. JohnBellyful says:

The more I think about it, PJ might have been right when he referred to Lucic’s assault on Emelin as a “love tap,” having recognized in his uniquely perceptive way that it was a homoerotic act clumsily performed.
    In the lingo of the street, Lucic was, in fact, trying to ‘tap’ Emelin.

62. The_Truth says:

Looks like MT knew what he was doing putting Budaj in goal afterall.

Budaj played awesome. MT desreves a lot more credit than he gets by some around here. He is doing a great job with the lineup he has.

63. Marc10 says:

The Habs will win tomorrow. They’ll get great hockey from PK and the DD line and they’ll win. I don’t imagine the refs will be incompetent two nights in a row. There’s nothing to be gained from letting a game get out of hand and the Sabres aren’t going to be looking to hurt. That means they’ll be playing hockey and when that happens, we win.

64. SC-24 says:

Moens fighting days starting to look like Parros!!

65. drdaytona says:

Hey, going to the game in Sunrise FL this weekend. Taking the kid, should be a good game. Any idea where the team stays?

Seems to me the Olympic break may have helped Gionta more than any other Hab.

• Storman says:

Gionta i also think is now relishing his role, as more of a shutdown totally competent 200′ player,, fans have to stop looking at him as a 5 million dollar free agent, who we wanted to score 40 goals a la Devil’s days, those are long gone,, but now is a total trust worthy lunch bucket, bust your ba..s hockey player who will still pot a few big goals for you as well..

67. naweed235 says:

For anyone who can stomach it, I invite you to go read the Jack Edwards twits during the game:

I really would do some horrible things to this man if ever I saw him on the street…

68. Harditya says:

Buck the Fruins. Stay classy Lucic and Chara.

GO HABS GO! What a move by our boy Alex!

69. slim wallet says:

The Canadien D was heroic as were Pleks and Gionta. Pleks, in particular, showed why he is the MVP of this team. Incroyable effort. Did not think DD or Max were factors, peeling off a little too quickly every time a Bruin came near. And I was glad to see Budaj come up big. Such a difference when you do not have to be the go-to guy. Proud of les boys.

• Storman says:

Very strong observation on DD and Max and Vanek for that matter,, they were peeling off any potential danger zones at times, but still its the #1 line, not supposed to be banging around in the corners all night, but throwing and taking a hit to make a play would have been nice…Briere completely peeled off any chance at contact from the initial face off to the final buzzer,,

@mike Boone, any chance yourself or Stubbs or someone at Gazette could ever ask the other fellows on L’Antichambre to actually discuss these matters with PJ, exposé him as the fraud he is? Stock can’t possibly improve ratings can he?

71. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Fifth? That’s what I get for StubHub-ing it.

72. Habcouver says:

Boods starting tomorrow?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

73. BJ says:

Bouillon gets a pass from MT on that. Too bad he couldn’t do the same with the younger guys. MT is no psychologist, he plays the hard card with the kids but it will bite him in the a$$ soon enough.

74. Parros is sick, he’s one hit away from career ending injury. It’s the only reason you don’t play the guy. So I’m fine with that, just a bad luck signing.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

75. marvin20 says:

Montreal has to much class to dress players that will address these situations with authority. It s getting close to playoff time and the games are going to get a lot more intense. Other teams see montreal players get speared, knocked out, cross checked into the boards, and their best player mugged from behind. Since montreal refuses to respond with authority other teams are going to do this and their players will start dropping like flies.
    Montreal needs a guy like chris nilan, he could play, fight, and was crazy.

76. ianism says:

disagree. he is a pretty good player, but a total shit. a bit like … Dustin Brown.

77. Luke says:

Or that it’s 10am and they might like to have a chance to examine them first and consult with Doctors, team medical staff and all the rest before they let you know:

“Upper Body injury”
    and
    “Day to Day” or “Indefinite”

78. habsguru says:

when you hit below the belt, you don’t get an opinion on dirty.

79. tophab says:

lucic is a coward ask orr.

80. Oleg Lupien says:

Hi Scotland – were you responding to me or to JF? Cause I wouldn’t bring him back.

81. tophab says:

hey scotland please go back because you are an idiot.

82. Dunboyne Mike says:

scotland, tophab — good afternoon.

Never noticed that scotland was an idiot, tophab. Not on the basis of what he posts here, not that I always agree with him.

Including this time. Scotland, would you not agree that Chara in particular plays as though he feels entitled NOT to be hit? I always think he gets angry loses his focus a bit after a few hits, even if the hitter bounces off him. I would love to see Habs hitting him in the corners on every shift.

Lucic slightly different.

83. tophab says:

scotland fu-k off retard.