About last night …

PrustAvs

A special request for Gary Bettman:
The heck with geography and conference alignments.
Let’s have the Montreal Canadiens play the Colorado Avalanche five times during the regular season.
Maybe six.
The game was THAT entertaining.
And the 6-3 win left Canadiens fans hungry for more … even if it means we see the New Jersey Devils less often.

I’d sacrifice a few Dainius Zubrus sightings if it meant we got to see Nathan MacKinnon more often.

On the Monday night edition of L’Antichambre, Patrick Roy promised a crowd-pleasing show when his team faced the Canadiens at the Bell Centre.

The Avalanche, Roy said, would not be playing defensive hockey.

What a happy coincidence: Neither did the Canadiens.

The result was 60 minutes of end-to-end firewagon action and excitement rarely seen at the rink this season.

The game wasn’t as crazy as the Canadiens’ Saturday night win over Ottawa. Yes, Colorado blew a couple leads and were outplayed in the third period. But the visitors did not succumb to pressure like the hapless Senators, whose playoff hopes took a mortal blow Tuesday night when they were stomped 8-4 in their own barn by the Rangers.

The Canadiens, by contrast, are sitting pretty. They are second in the Atlantic Division with 83 points,  eight clear of the playoff cutoff. With a dozen games to play, they need eight, maybe nine more points to punch their ticket to the postseason dance.

It seems very do-able for a team that has won three in a row and may be straightening out its special-teams difficulties. The penalty killers were 3-for-3 against the high-powered Avalanche. And the recently moribund power play – two for its last 27 – produced two goals in three opportunities.

There are still issues on defence. But a lot of teams would have defensive zone problems against the MacKinnon (who won’t be 19 until September!) and a lineup that also includes Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog and Paul Statstny.

They’re all young, fast and sublimely talented. That the Canadiens held Colorado to three goals is a tribute to some timely stops by a still-rusty Carey Price – and the presence of Douglas Murray in the pressbox.

It was all P.K. Subban could do to try to contain MacKinnon & Co. They’d have skated figure eights around Murray – as the Avalanche did on occasion to Francis Bouillon.

Josh Gorges is missed on the back end, where the most positive development is the emergence of Jarred Tinordi, who looks steadier every time out and was on the ice for two Canadiens goals and only one by Colorado.

Thomas Vanek will garner all the headlines, as he should. The Canadiens’ prize deadline-day acquisition scored three goals that travelled a total of maybe 20 feet.

Vanek doesn’t chase down loose pucks with the indefatigable ferocity of Brendan Gallagher. He doesn’t plaster defencemen to the end glass.

What Vanek does is  score goals from high-percentage positions in proximity to opposing goaltenders. He goes to the slot, where David Desharnais is very good at finding him.

The scoring ability of Vanek and Max Pacioretty opens the ice for DD. And the diminutive centre is finding his linemates.

And a fourth line.

Travis Moen, Brandon Prust and Dale Weise each scored against Colorado. The line was collectively plus-8.

The Canadiens are 9-1-1 with Weise in the lineup. It could be a while before we see George Parros again.

Michel Therrien will stick with this lineup when Columbus visits the Bell Centre on Thursday night. Moving off the DD line has meant diminished ice time for Brendan Gallagher – under 12:28 against Colorado, matching his friend Alex Galchenyuk’s 12:27. They both must envy MacKinnon’s ToI of 21 minutes.

Sadly, that’s the last we’ll see of that special teenager – unless the Canadiens and Colorado meet in the Stanley Cup final.

Or an NHL realignment that creates an Excitement Division.

1. Maritime Ronn says:

@ sholi2000.com

As you are a big fan of CP – and might have already known this detail….after last night’s win against Colorado, Carey can finally state he has now won against every team in the NHL.

2. shiram says:

Lotsa good words on here today, and why not after such a great game? Patrick Roy delivered on his promise of a good game.
    And Therrien followed suit allowing his team to play a fast tempo game.

I’ll just add that I am slightly worried about Prust.
    We don’t know if it was his shoulder, but it looked like an arm.
    He definitely should not be fighting, especially with Weise and Moen on his line that can take the same size players as Prust does.
    Have to figure taking draws is another strain on his arm/shoulders too.

3. Thomas Le Fan says:

Enjoyed that a lot! Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

4. RetroMikey says:

So, do we credit Therrien as the first star or the players effort in the W last night?
    Seem like everyone wants MT to get the boot.
    I believe its the core of players who need a boot up their a*$ to play hard everygame and not float and prove skeptics they are wrong including me.
    Let’s not get excited.
    We still have issues about this team.
    By next week we will forget about this Colorado game.
    I’d like to know if this team really has no consistency game in and out a we will find out as the seasons winds down the stretch how good they really are.

Gotta love DD on this team, no matter how much I want big and better players, I have never criticized the guy on this site. He’s a keeper, praise God!!!!
    The 4th line is a bunch of grit and character players in Weise, White and Prust that you need to get more on this team on the 2nd and 3rd lines to build a winner.
    Not a Gionta, Plekanec, or Briere, we got too many of these midgets, 2 is enough on this squad!
    BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

5. Mats Naslund says:

Mr. Boone you said it right there: “Finally, 70 games into the season, the Canadiens have a bona-fide Number 1 line.”

Not to take away anything from the incredible play of the other members of the squad last night (wasn’t that Moen goal a thing of beauty?), but Montreal’s top line is dangerous and the effect that this will have is to open up room for the other lines as teams try to shut down 67-51-20. Last night we saw a guerrilla come off of Vanek’s back and you can see the chemistry forming with his linemates. They were already getting chances but now that a few have gone in, I can’t wait to see how they play together going towards the playoffs. They won’t pot 3 every night, but teams will have to focus on them defensively and I love what that might mean for the rest of the team.

6. CJ says:

As much as we can not dwell on a loss or losing streak, we will need to quickly refocus and get to work in preparation for Columbus tomorrow night.

We have a chance this week to add separation and inch closer to a first round match up with the Lightning. IMO, I think that this is the best case scerario of those options available. So much as I think we would dust the Leafs, I’d just as soon see them fall into a wildcard position and be forced to deal with Boston in the first round.

Bishop will be difficult as he has historically given us fits, however I maintain that this is the best case scenario of the options available.

The key going forward will be injuries and Price (not sure in what order of priority). We are not without issues, however, aside from Boston there really are no complete teams in the East.

Hoping that the team makes a few minor adjustments and builds on this most recent success.

• JF says:

Not sure why you think the Lightning are the best matchup, We’ve won one game against them this season (in OT), scoring only four goals. Bishop always gives us fits. I think I’d prefer either the Leafs or the Bruins (who IMO are peaking too early).

7. Marcusman says:

Can we all finally agree that David Desharnais…is a worthy member of our team….at 4 million yr…he’s worth it. He is a play maker who can also score. He’s tenacious on the puck and sees the game like Markov does..they see the whole ice when dishing out the puck.

Going to be an exciting spring!

GO HABS GO!

• bwoar says:

Like Boone said, he’s now in the best possible position to succeed. It’s on him to follow through, but, he’s walking the walk and I’m very happy for him. Despite him and Patches’ terrible start, DD is on pace for 50 points, on a 3.5M contract. It’s a bargain IMO.

Very glad a lot of us were wrong about him, me included.

• krob1000 says:

He should score more…. if he were to add shooting to his repetoire (both his shooting percentage, big cltuch gaols OT clapper, season changer in Ottawa,etc and shootout history have shown us he has the ability) he would produce more. Right now he is in danger of falling into the Gomez trap. HE turned down several great looks in front last night that his teammates would love to have from 15 to 20 feet out . His untapped potential lies in his future willingness to shoot and drive the net before dishing the puck…if he adds that ..then he can be a 70 pt guy. IF not…i feel him as is ….replaceable possibly next season with Chucky assuming that role. Chucky needs to increase his quickness though in smaller spaces and spurts and better protect the puck. Not sure he will be ready next year…if he assumes Eller’s role team may be in trouble unless they pick up another strong two way center a la Kesler. Won’t be able to shelter both DD and Chucky at center defensively.

• Un Canadien errant says:

True, his shot is accurate but not hard, and he doesn’t trust it unless he’s very close to the net. If over the summer he could work on his upper body strength, and his wrist and snap shots, it could give him another option when he’s weaving around in the offensive zone, and keep the goaltenders guessing more, surprise them once in a while.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree that DD needs to shoot more but I disagree that Chucky is anywhere near being ready to be a number 1 centre. His offense and defense just are not ready yet. His numbers this year are less than impressive. He is playing on the third line but that should mean he has weaker competition

“Lets Go Canada”

8. icemachine says:

Anyone have video or gif of MacKinnon throwing on the brakes to dodge the PK hit last night?

9. Bugs says:

A) It’s not just that the Vanek goals were nice, it’s that those nice goals were PURE Vanek goals. Magic-Handed Muscle in the Slot. All three, baby!

B) To Buddy who posted that had the Moen goal been Crosby’s, it’d been all over the highlight reels covered in idolatry, but from Mo, not a peep. That’s a great point.
    It’s true, ain’t it?

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

10. frontenac1 says:

Love that picture of Prust and glad he got 2nd star. I thought he was toast when he popped his shoulder but he came back, played his heart out and got a goal,what a guy eh? How about that 4th line? Moen with the spinerama and Weise with the Gordie Howe!

hi front

Hard to ever know about injuries as they are stamped Top Secret, yet it may have been wrist-hand-even finger related.

• frontenac1 says:

Could be Ron, noticed he couldn’t even pick up his stick going off, all I could think of was that Shoulder again.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya my heart sank for a moment there. He had a couple good shifts before that, I was all excited, then…OH NO!!!!

I was ecstatic that he came back in dramatic fashion and set Moen up for that beauty goal and scored one on a rocket himself.

Nice scrap by Weise too!

A+ for the 4th line last night.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, in my mind I started to plan for a playoffs without him, since he’d be shut down for the season with a bum shoulder. It was a pleasant surprise to see him on the bench later on. And on the ice.

• frontenac1 says:

Loved how Prust made Bordeleau look like a stiff on his goal too.Saludos!

• Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if people are still calling MB a fool for the Weise trade of Diaz now…

Diaz hasn’t played a game for the rangers yet

“Lets Go Canada”

11. Mike D says:

One thing I’d like to add to a great ALN by the Headmaster:

Considering the amount of games we have won primarily due to excellent goaltending by Carey Price this season, it’s great that the boys were able to get the W last night by potting 5 goals and an empty-netter. I.E. without having to rely on Pricey playing briliant.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

Interesting to note the only mention of MT in the About Last Night was the envy Galchenyuk and Gallagher must have of McKinnon’s ice time……

Evidently the team won last night in spite of the Habs coach…..

I have often voiced concern over MT, but this coach can’t ever seem to get his due.

• Mike D says:

It’s hard to know whether to give credit to the players or the coach for a win, and conversely, blame the players or the coach for a loss.
        Sure it’s a combination and that’s the easy answer, but you gotta think that some things can be directly attributed to one or the other.

My one criticism of MT last night was on the Avs 3rd goal which tied the game. He put the DD line out for a D-zone faceoff and they never got the puck out of the zone before Colorado finally scored (believe it was McGinn’s goal). He could have put either the Pleks line out, or our 4th line out. Don’t remember who was on for the previous shift so one of them could have been tired, but the other line for sure would have been ready. Clearly he had better options than the DD line in that scenario, plus had the option of last change against a team that plays a very offensive-styled game. To me, that was a glaring error by MT and the coaching staff.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• GenerationYHabs says:

I could be wrong but I believe that there had been an Icing call at the time and the line was unable to change.

• krob1000 says:

Vanek missed Patches for the breakaway pass….iced the puck. I literally told my son..ouch ..could have put the game away now they have to burn their timeout….then he did not take the timeout. DD line was already tired…but to then ahve them take the dzone draw where they rarely are against the Avs fresh line was risky.

• frontenac1 says:

Mike out coached Paddy last night amigo.

12. Shackles says:

Are we setting the bar too high now?
    The team was firing on all cylinders last night. I guess they all had a round of Ovaltine before the game.
    Moen with a spin-o-rama? Seriously???
    Wiese and Weaver have been subtle but fantastic additions. Resign them both?

• Kooch7800 says:

I like the fact Vanek finally broke out. As much as we complain about DD always with Patches….they are our best pairing currently and putting Vanek with them really makes that a dangerous line. Two big bodies on the sides of DD is perfect.

Plus the reshuffling of our other lines really helps out as well. Gallagher is sparking elsewhere.

I would like to see Eller out of his funk. He really looks like he has lost his mojo in a bad way. Poor decisions with the puck constantly

“Lets Go Canada”

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have gained a lot of respect for Desharnias. He went from one of my least favourite players to a player I include on the list of Montreal’s top players now. I can actually admit I was wrong ;-).

• Kooch7800 says:

DD was not playing well at the start of the year. No doubt there but his vision and hockey IQ is underrated for sure. If he was 6 foot no one would ever question him.

His big test will come in the playoffs this year.

“Lets Go Canada”

Your a big man Hobie!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Kudos.

We should all have to come forward on HIO and openly state that we were wrong on this or that issue as the evidence comes in. Most of us, me included, gloss over our bad calls, but trumpet “I told you so!” when the facts prove us right.

For example, as the Canadiens right the ship, and Michel Therrien is less open to ridicule because of his coaching decisions, such as, uhm, deciding that since Carey Price is healthy he should play, his detractors will lay low for now instead of giving him credit, and wait for the next rough patch/playoff elimination.

• I’m setting no bars :lol: Impossible to get excited after the season we have seen so far. Our defense is horrible :) I want Bergevin to go back to the draft and continue to draft defensemen, I’m talking like all 7 picks :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

13. Wow, I just heard Patrick Roy’s post game presser. I was no fan of him coming here, I wanted him to gain experience in the NHL first but wow he blew me away with his words and comments about his players. He has their respect, and he treats them properly. I look forward to seeing him in Montreal as Head coach someday but it will most likely never happen, his new life is now Denver. Good for Patty.
    Great game for us!
    9- José Théodore -141
    10- Gerry McNeil -119
    CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Shackles says:

Agreed. He seems to have gained some maturity since making the jump from the Q. His emphasis on the team mentality was really pronounced. I still think MT was the better choice at the time.

• Therrien may be considered a candidate for coach of the year however the media doesn’t like how he handles his players so he most likely will get snubbed this year.

I am thinking Roy or Hitchcock gets it.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Kooch7800 says:

I am with you Shane, I was not a fan of a rookie NHL coach coming to Montreal. Especially Roy who has had self control issues in the past. He has done a fantastic job in Colorado and I am happy for him. I think he is great with the young team he has. He also has some serious talent to work with. That McKinnon is the real deal.

Chuckie seems to be in a bit of a sophomore slump but I would bet he plays much better next year.

“Lets Go Canada”

• I love MacKinnon, but he was an easy choice. Galchenyuk’s draft class now looks a little weaker than others, I mean Yakupov could be on his way out in Edmonton.

Usually top 5 picks in any year are sure things to be superstars (yes there are busts)

Back to Patty, good lord I thought for sure he was going to act like he did in junior, would have made for great hockey drama, but like he said on NHL live the other day, “as soon as I received my first fine I realized I had to change a little”

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree on Roy. I thought being in the Montreal pressure cooker would cause him to lash out and being a rookie it was way to big of a risk.

He has show in Colorado that he has the players backs and they play hard for him. In all honesty, Colorado is a great fit for him with a young team and him not being under the microscope there.

I doubt he will ever coach in Montreal but you never know what can happen down the road.

If we have a quick first round exit this year I doubt MT will be back

“Lets Go Canada”

• Luke says:

I don’t know about that (MT firing). He’s been solid coach and has gotten decent results for a team that so many people have expected to be at the bottom of the standings for the past two seasons. Yes, playoff success is huge, but these guys were predicted to finish last in the East last year and were grudgingly bumped up to a bubble team this year.

MT has exceeded those expectations. I bet he’s the coach next season.
            I also don’t care who the coach is, they can fire him if they want… I think too much time is wasted on the impact of coaches and Captains. I think that continuity is the most important thing a coach provides. And a buffer between the media demands and the players.

• Luke says:

I don’t think Edmonton’s problem is Yakupov. I’m more inclined to think Yakupov’s problem is Edmonton.

Trade the negotiating rights to Vanek for him (and a 5th rouder) in the off season. ;)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d make that trade, except that a 5th-rounder is too much, Trever Timmons turns these in Brandon Gallaghers. I say a 6th, tops.

• Mike D says:

Kinda hard to believe Patty only has 289 wins with the Habs. I know the Habs teams he played on weren’t always spectacular, especially compared to the Plante and Dryden versions, but it just SEEMS low for a goalie as great as he was.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

RONN,
    I disagree with your assessment of Price. If not for him in, we lose last night. All goals last night were great plays and quick shots. Our defense is much more of a problem than Price is. And if he is a bit rusty from an injured knee and plays this well, we are in for a treat my friend!

Hi Ian

Perhaps just used to Carey standing on his head and not being rusty/regular.
      The numbers are what they are, and in the past if Carey posted those numbers, that usually meant a an L.

The comment was made in the sense that it was great that the guys went to bat and scored some goals for Carey and got him some wins when he wasn’t lights out as he has been for most of the year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I posted the same, that he looked improved, but still not at the top of his game. Still, the team responded, in light of how Peter Budaj played in his absence especially.

15. rhino514 says:

I guess that is a game we wouldn´t have won without Vanek. So kudos to Bergevin so far. Kudos also for getting Weaver which allows Tinordi (or Beaulieu) to play on the left side. Tinordi seems to be doing ok.
    The team for one game played like its real personality; a good offensive team, with great special teams, but a somewhat shaky defence. Despite the low amount of goals scored this year, that is the real personality of this team.
    Wether Tinordi is able to play quality minutes and be solid is going to be key going forward, though I am sure he is already less of a liability than Murray; the D remains questionable for now, but I really like the forwards now. Guys like Bournival, Bourque, and White cannot even get into the lineup; that´s depth.

HEY Therrian!
    Where is this team of grinders you think we have.????

17. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

The Toronto sports radio talking heads are at it again. They’ve complaining that the “poor refereeing” Saturday night in Montreal had an adverse affect on the Leafs’ playoff chances.

That’s right… a game that they didn’t participate in 5 days ago did more to harm their chances than did the game last night where they lost to a division rival that had NINE regulars out of the lineup.

Did it help their playoff chances that Coach Carlyle likes to piss all over his present starting goalie only to find out that the goalies agent went to the Allan Walsh school of agents?

• Cal says:

I think Reimer’s agent was smart enough to punch a ticket out of Toronto for the kid. Carlyle displaying more and more how ineffective he is as a motivator. While Bernier’s hurt he should be pumping Reimer’s tires, not sticking nails into them.

Exactly Cal, there is nothing wrong with Carlyle deciding Bernier was #1, Mgmt. made it clear by trying to trade for Kiprusoff the year before. But when you need the other goalie, why make comments you know will create a sh*tstorm.

• The one player you never rip on a team is the goalie, especially goalies who are good and can pull pole on you, I hope in ends up in Winnipeg. I like Reimer, he has a great personality and you can tell he’s someone you’d like to hang out with.

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

He was OK. Just OK.

Especially on the two breakaways and terribly played two on one.

Dreger (GM Nonis’ cousin) was on TSN radio this morning said something like:
          “Nothing against Reimer, but the world could see that Bernier would have made the save on the two on one.”

Nonis is slowly spinning the Toronto market to scapegoat Reimer.

Curious if Nonis also spoke about the weak ass goals Bernier let in a few weeks ago, perhaps Reimer undoubtedly would have made those saves?

I am loving this controversy in T.O. Hope to see it playout this Saturday live in front of my eyes!

• Luke says:

You’re going? That’s awesome.

As much as I despise seeing hockey in Toronto… it’s such a pain to get in and out… that should be a good one!

18. habs-fan-84 says:

That was the most entertaining 60 minutes of hockey we’ve seen all year. Well, the game against Dallas was pretty damn exciting 60 minutes too.

19. Maritime Ronn says:

A couple of items from last night.

That put huge pressure on the Top 6 to produce or lose.
    Could last night be the start of something good?
    Secondary scoring will be key moving forward – especially in the playoffs.

2) The Power Play.
    No disrespect to Subban, yet the whole PP revolved around him getting teed up for a low/semi-low percentage one-timer from the point – perhaps because of necessity.
    With a true sniper such as Vanek, his 2nd goal showed a new strategy of down low work with no need, or only a threat from the Subban/Markov points.
    This changes the whole PP dynamic and now gives the Habs multiple options.

Specialty Teams win Games
    Defence wins Championships.

20. docketrocket says:

Great game last night. Exciting, important win and nice to see 4th line guys shine.

There is no question Eller is struggling. However, the momentum building here to lynch him is counter-productive. He still has value for us, he wouldn’t fetch much in a trade, and he still has a huge upside if developed properly.

I find it interesting how Galchenyuk gets a pass. His stats are not much better than Eller’s. He is a defensive sieve. He has been stone cold since returning from injury. I see no case that he is ready for more responsibility at the present time. Like Eller, I believe he has a fantastic upside, probably better than Eller’s. I would be positive about both of them, coach them, let them learn. But it is not helping Galchenyuk to make him our sacred cow any more than it is helping Eller to make him the whipping boy. The better they both do, the better the team goes.

It is the want of this site to always eat a member of the Habs alive. Flavor-flav right now appears to be Eller, earlier it was Murray, other seasons it has been Price. And its always the right time to eat the coach alive…….

CHeers

• aroma says:

kudos for making a point – an excellent point – that I haven’t seen expressed anywhere.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Because of a broken hand and the Olympic break, Galchenyuk did not play an NHL game from January 6th to February 26th.
      That’s 51 days – a lifetime in the NHL.

• Luke says:

I’ve heard (well read) plenty of comments about Galchenyuk’s play on HIO About him not being ready to be a centre. I’ve made some myself. He gets eaten alive in the defensive zone (all of EGG did) and he can’t win a faceoff. He needs to shoot more. He passes too much and did it last night on the 2 on 1. He had a decent shot or a poor pass… he chose the pass.
      He’s also 5 years (or so) younger than Eller. I’m sure that factors into it as well.

• Jocko says:

Totally agree with you Docket. I hate when this team gives up on guys. I remember being excited about Darcy Tucker at one point, and bam, bye bye. I hated the little agitator, but that goes to show you he was good at what he did. I also pondered what was going on with trading Leclair. The guy scored two OT winner in the Stanley Cup Finals, but they gave up on him.

Eller needs some positivity. The uncertainty is killing his game. I think the kid is a good player, love how he elevates his game against the Booins!

One other thing about Roy. I always liked his passion. I remember thinking as a kid that Roy should have been team Captain.I was also thinking that he would have made a good choice for coach. He is passionate and thinks the game on a different level. We missed out.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• Luke says:

They did get Recchi back… a 50 goal, 100 point guy (though he never hit that in Montreal).

As the saying goes… you have to give to get.

and a Doctor, to boot.

• Jocko says:

I hear ya Luke. That trade is one of four in my lifetime that the Habs did, that I never quite made any sense, however. The other three were those including Langway, Chelios, and Roy. No way do I think Pollock would make any one of those four, and yes, I think the guy was a damn genius!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

21. jeffhabfan says:

What a game. The Habs seen to be peaking right now thanks to that HUGE comeback Saturday night. I could feel a big game from Vanek coming for a couple of games now.GO HABS GO.

On a related but different note, how much of an impact is the altitude in Denver for hockey games? I recognize that the Avs record is nearly identical at home and on road, but does the conditioning required to compete at altitude help them throughout the season?

Do older veteran teams struggle more in Colorado than elsewhere? I only ask because during NFL games this is often discussed, in baseball it only really affects the ball as the game of baseball is anaerobic relatively speaking.

This present day Avs team is young, fast and very fit. I just wonder come playoff time with teams going to 3 lines, top 4 defenders playing huge minutes, if the Avs have an advantage.

• Luke says:

It should make some difference.
      You are right though, they talk about the thin air as it relates to the football or baseball travelling further, but not much in terms of recovery time between shifts for the visiting team.

Maybe they pressurize the Pepsi Centre to sea level? I bet they do. It’s probably in the CBA. Somewhere near the back.

• Gerry H says:

It’s pretty huge in terms of aerobic efficiency. Altitude training has an effect not unlike doping with EPO. The body produces more hemoglobin to compensate for the lower oxygen levels, so the aerobic energy system gets a huge boost relative to sea-level training. Big effect on endurance, but I doubt it means much to a hockey player. With 45 second shifts, hockey players rely almost entirely on the two anaerobic energy systems. It might give them a bit of a tweak at the end of their shifts, but not much.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gerry,

I think it wouldn’t show much a difference during the shift, but I would expect it to impact on the recovery time between the shifts.

That’s what I’m thinking, and by the end of a game it may really be a factor. Or perhaps in the playoffs during a game going into double OT.

• Gerry H says:

Could be, Luke. The bigger impact would be on post-game recovery. A lot of athletes, especially the older ones, will get on the bike after a game or take an ice bath to help rid their bodies of lactate, a byproduct of one of the anaerobic energy systems (that’s the stuff that makes your legs sore and, when really maxed out, makes you toss your cookies). The aerobic energy system actually helps to flush that stuff out, so it would follow that a strong aerobic fitness level would help speed recovery.

• GGtheHab says:

From personal exprience I would say a tremondous difference. I was with 1 Svc battalion in Calagary and we did a lot of running. I got attach posted to PPCLI in Esquilmat and cut about a minute and a half off my 1.5 mile run a day after showing up..

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Great to see a little payback from the guys going Carey’s way as he has Careyed the team most of the year.

Since coming back from injury, Carey has been….well, let’s just say ‘rusty’, giving up 4 and 3 goals in the 2 games played, and posting SPs of .882 – .893.

Usually, when a goalie posts an SP under .920 , that means a loss.
    Carey will find his way back in a few more games.
    A goalie can’t be out 20 days with knee issues and not lose some timing.
    This could get very interesting if the rest of the guys stay healthy.

I keep reading that Carey was rusty last night, I watch those goals Colorado scored and I don’t see it, good goals.

Watching Boston vs. New Jersey highlights, Brodeur looked like the Tinman of Wizard of Oz with no oil.

24. habsfaninphx says:

The “Down with D.D.” club always points to the fact that he gets the best wingers to play with. I wonder if maybe they’re the best wingers because they’re playing with him?

I didn’t have an opportunity to see the game last night, it was on too early out here. There were alot of comments yesterday that Galchenyuk should be given the opportunites MacKinnon is getting. Do they look comparable skill-wise? Is MacKinnon more talented at this stage of his career or are the Habs a deeper team?

• lach60 says:

Good points you bring up. Mackinnon looked dominant out there. I went to see him last year in Halifax and it doesn’t look like he’s lost a beat playing with men.

In regards to DD, I know I’m a biased DD fan, but I don’t believe any of the Habs centres could produce like him even if paired with Pacioretty and Vanek. There’s a reason Pacioretty wants to play with DD. And for those who say he’s not a number 1 centre, he’s not paid like one. It should be a plus that he’s paired with 2 number 1 guys and paid like a number 3 guy…and he’s producing like a number 1B or 2 centre right now.

Designated #1 Line Produces, 4th Line Produces, 2nd and 3rd Lines shut down other teams top two lines.

Read some talk of how Eller isn’t doing enough, well last night his assignment was Mackinnon/Landeskog line for much of the night. Granted Eller finished -1, but that is a pretty tough matchup. His line also saw some time against the Talbot line, but essentially have both Plex and Eller able to perform shutdown is key.

Here is a great website showing all the shifts of both teams detailing minute by minute who was against who on the ice.

• mdp2011 says:

I understand what you are saying, but the 4th line will likely not produce offensively like that again. That it is why the Habs need to get a good offensive second line out of the 2nd or 3rd line. I think when Bournival is ready to return, I would have him with Chucky and Briere and sit Eller a couple of games.

Don’t disagree, the 4th line producing is gravy, but come playoff time it was the Bickell line for Chicago producing big goals. When a team can have its 3rd/4th line chip in, huge dividends.

We haven’t had a 4th line in Montreal be effective in quite some time.

• krob1000 says:

Designated 1st pp produced 2 goals, 4th line produced 2 goals, 1st line produced 1 and shutdown combo produced empty netter. Great game but 1st line got one goal…kinds helps when on a pp and you have two of leagues top dmen on point helpng out. I know you are aware of this but I expected to come on hre enad read about the Habs depth and a good game and instead the morning is filled with DD I told you so’s when nothing as changed…yeah he is doing well…but I thought last night he shouold have had several other great chances but refused to shoot or drive the net himself. He made an incredible play on Vankes first goal….but had that puck sailed through the crease we are all screaming because it would have meant no shot on goal. I love that Pleks and Eller now have help and I don;t mind shletering Dd…but the general feel of this mornings posts reeks of people selectively viewing and ignoring that overall situations.

Typically every teams top line is their key PP unit. To me it is almost one in the same is my point.

• krob1000 says:

I would wager that over half of the NHL does not use their regular lins on the pp…that is an MT thing. Some teams move forwards to the point, others stack their top end talent,etc. MT likes to do that but that is not something that is done by everyone.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

MT, RC, Guy Carb all used SC1 and PP

I hate that.. Make a Powerplay line..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

I am not going to research, but I think I disagree. I would think throughout the league the number 1 line probably contributes at least 2 players to a teams #1 powerplay unit. Sure maybe not the entire line, as often a team like Pittsburgh will grab Malkin and add him to Crosby for the powerplay. Same as in Chicago Kane is added to Toews.

I guess the gist of my post is that typically a teams #1 line encompasses the top offensive producers by position on the team. However some teams top 2 players may be centers so they are divied up.

• krob1000 says:

Re above Burly…they typically add a forward to their best line as well as the teams top two D…..that is over half of the pp…the “top line” is in most cases two of the teams best offensive players ..ins ome cases all three but they are not the majority of the pp. D men are huge on pp’s as well.

Agree about the D krob, 100%

26. adamkennelly says:

kinda sucks a little for Gallagher – ice time dropped significantly – and all he did all season was be our best all around forward in my opinion. hustle, crash, bang, score, repeat.

• Luke says:

Yah. Team Depth, the lack of a 4 minute a game guy and a four line concept will cause some casualties.
      But, if he’s going on a night when someone else isn’t, don’t be surprised to see that clock change.

• boing007 says:

Gallagher needs two big guys on his line to help him out. His career would surely last longer and he would be much more productive.

Richard R

27. Gerry H says:

That was a fun game. It’s hard not to get googley-eyed about the possibilities for this team if it gets opportunistic in the playoffs. Winning a series or two would be a lot of fun and could help land the big Austrian this summer.

One quick thought about Lars. We all see how hard he’s working, the effective use of his size and the smart defensive play. But we’ve also all seen his lack of vision and puck sense. I say it’s time to try an experiment, one that won’t muddle a winning line-up. Maybe it’s time to give Galchenyuk his shot at centre and move Lars to the wing. Lars’ lack of vision and puck sense is an especially big liability at centre, one that I think could be quickly corrected by Galchenyuk. I know that there would be justifiable concerns about #27’s defensive zone smarts at centre, but with TWO defensively reliable wingers, maybe that’s a chance worth taking. I also think this move might cut into the number of dumb penalties Lars takes, given the reduced amount of ice he’d be responsible for.

• mdp2011 says:

I agree completely that it is time to give Galchenyuk a shot at center. Also, when Bournival is back from Hamilton, he should be in for Eller who should be in the press box.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Eller’s ceiling is a bottom 6 winger in my opinion..

A Plek/Eller/Gionta 3rd line would be superb IMO

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

28. lach60 says:

A couple thoughts I had last night…

Good thing we didn’t trade DD and make Eller, Plekanec, and Galchenyuk our centres.

For the ones who claim DD puts up points because of his offensive zone starts…ever think that Therrien doesn’t want to waste one of his most offensively gifted players by putting him in defensive coverage all the time, not necessarily because DD can’t play well in defensive coverage? The Habs have 2, maybe 3, defensively gifted centres, so why start DD in those situations when the other 3 lack his offensive talent.

DD now on pace for 50 points…here’s hoping he surpasses his number, 51. Pretty good season considering his poor start. Here’s hoping for a good playoff to silence all the DD non-believers on this site.

Oh. And since having 1 point in his first 19, DD now has 42 points in his last 48 games.

• krob1000 says:

check out my post below a few…..Dd has ONE more pint than Gionta when removing pp, he has 10 more than Chuc ky and Briere….unbelievable that people don’t see this IMO. DD is playing well…but to think that any one of the others could not do the same is naive…it has actually happened already.

• mdp2011 says:

So by your logic, Crosby’s 42 PP points don’t matter since anyone else would have those points playing the PP minutes Crosby gets. Yes, we are the naive ones.

• krob1000 says:

YEs..you are
          Crosby has 59 points removing pp (that is more than twice DD)
          Malkin has 40 points
          Kunitz has 40 points
          Neal has 30 points
          Jokinen has 30 points

Crosby is quite clearly the offensive leader there in all situations…and by a large margin ….there is no comparison, no disputing it….now look at the Montreal situation a little closer again….

• Luke says:

Gretzky padded his stats on the PP as well… plus all the offensive zone stats. Without that protection, mediocre.

(HOLY SARCASM!)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

If anybody gave Patch and DD starts in the D zone they’d be idiots. The people that complain about these things fail to see that these things happen for the betterment of the Habs. Patch has to be put in offensive situations, he’s one of the best goal scorers in the world right now.

With that said, DD is not, and will never be a Number 1 center on a Stanley Cup Championship team. Will never happen. Same goes for Plek. Unless Galchenyuk evolves into an elite Center or someone is added from outside the organization, the Habs will be a Tier 2 team.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

I do not fail to see it is for the betterment of the team..I state that over and over….but when Chucky becomes the number one center…and he will…then what becomes of DD? Eller and PLeks are the versatile ones…and Chucky will need/deserve the same favourable starts Dd gets…for the betterment of the team. Right now…the addition of Vanek and the realization by MT that moving Gally and GIO will spread the depth around have definitely made the team more rounded and harder to play against.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Either the team finds two big and fast diggers for DD or he has to be moved. I agree with you. I was shocked he landed a 4 year deal. I think Eller should be on a wing; low intelligence players belong on the wing, that’s how I see Eller.. Playing,along side Plek on the 3rd line.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

I don’t agree re Eller and you know that but most everything else we do. I think his “intelligence” is more a lack of confidence…he did not play that hurried and panicky last season….he is complelety lost offesnviely right now. Fortunately his frame, speed and work ethic and intelligence defensively make him valuable even in this funk…and what a funk it is. I am a huge Eller fan…but he doesn’t have a clue what to do witht he puck anymore…I am confident it will come back and you are not and that is fine…but I am loving the depth when a guy like him is a 3rd lner on your team…provided he also has good 3rd line wingers. Montreal ‘s sterngth is their depth so the DD, Eller, Pleks, Chucky thing is temporarily on hold…but at some point must be addressed.

• rhino514 says:

Sadly, Eller looks to be the odd man out next year. Either that or they play him on wing where he isn´t much good.
          I´m a huge believer in Eller because for one beautiful third of a season last year he put it all together and was spectacular.
          But keeping Galchenuyk on the wing is stalling his development.
          Also, don´t know if anyone has noticed, but Plekanec has been very quite for many games now. He´s on track for only forty odd points this year; seems to tail off in the second half most seasons, but even moreso this year.
          Still, he is G&d over here due to his defensive prowess so don´t see him being moved.
          Anyway, I hope they find a way to keep Eller or if they trade him at least get a player with value in return. I would stick my neck out for this kid and give him one more year to get his act together.

29. Mr_MacDougall says:

Psycho29 had good info on the Fla-SJ below, Luo made 29 saves in the 3rd last night to secure a win.

I was anti-Luo when he was consistently called the best goaltender in the world while playing for Florida, though he was undeserving of that, especially in a world where Hasek was playing.

Then he was dealt to Van and was sh** on for 8 years, I started to appreciate him and his calm demeanour.

I’m pulling for that guy, I think he got a raw deal in Van, from being named captain (how idiotic was that) to never having the organization stand behind him, now he gets to ride off into the sunset in Florida while Vancouver is a toxic wasteland.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

The capper would be an early retirement by Lou destroying the Canucks cap space for a number of years.

Lou’s twitter account Strombone sure did a great deal in showing us all a different side of Luongo.

It has been a long time since we have watched a very good hockey game for 60 min’s. Boone has it quite right above.
    The Colorado KID’S never let up and forced the Hab’s to skate relentlessly. When they stopped skating in the game, The Colorado Kids scored because they never let up.
    Do you think that Therrian has finally figured out who can play and compensate who on this team yet.?? He has very little time to get 4 lines together on a regular basis to at least make a small splash in the play offs.
    I think we have enough talent on this club to win a lot of games, but consistency is a problem. And Therrian has to do something with the power play, other than just feed PK’s shot from the point.
    All and all it was a very entertaining win!
    Some big games coming up, Columbus, Toronto and Boston are next! These games will be a lot more physical in an attempt to slow us down! Keep skating is the key.!

31. Paz says:

Last night the Habs showed what they can do when they want to open it up. All year I have tried to remind people that we can play aggressive, we can skate, we can create chances, and we can score.

People who contend that the Habs lack the offensive talent to compete, and therefore, we are better off playing defensively, have been selling these guys short.

I believe , I hope, we will see more of this talented offensive team in the future.

Hockey is a great game when it is played well.

You play to win. You don’t play afraid to lose.

32. boing007 says:

I wouldn’t mind if the Habs never played the Devils again. Send them to Seattle. Or Las Vegas.

Richard R

33. Mr_MacDougall says:

Did anybody notice the look n Vanek’s face during his first star announcement/skate around? He was smiling so much he was laughing. The announcers on TSN-Mon said he received the 4 biggest ovations of his career (3 goals plus 1st star). Vanek looked lost in the moment like a child, nice to see.

Is it possible that the fans could win over a player and impact whether he resigns or not?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

It’s possible.
      But if people keep hassling him about signing, they’ll lose that chance, as evidenced by his post game comments.

I don’t know… when I bought my car, the sales guy asked if I needed anything, let me know where he’d be and to find him if I had any questions.
      Had he followed me around, taken me on a tour of the facility as he was supposed to, went on the test drive with me etc… I’d have never bought my car.

I’m 40 years old. If you want to sell me anything, leave me alone.
      I suspect, at 30, Vanek is similar. Apply pressure to make a decision and he’ll just walk away.

He’s already said he sees July 1st as a big chance for him, and for over a year, he’s been planning towards it. Respect that.

He’s played in Buffalo and Long Island, he signed an offer sheet with Edmonton. He’s obviously not too worried about the market he plays in.

34. FlyAngler says:

I hope that the Habs have someone showing Mrs. Vanek all that Montreal has to offer….. great cuisine, fashion, shopping & the arts… certainly superior to anything that the Twin Cities in Minnesota have to offer. If she falls in love with Montreal and MB offers the right number…. maybe, just maybe we get to keep Tomas Vanek beyond this Spring.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

35. DipsyDoodler says:

A few additional comments.

1. Brandon Prust: no more fights for you. You’re too good as a hockey player. (And stay out of politics.)

2. The reason a player like Vanek sometimes appears not to be doing anything is that he puts himself in the right spot to get a pass. Problem with Gallagher is all that crashing and banging is great but then DD only had Max to pass to.

3. Colorado will lose in round one unless they tighten up defensively.

4. Having a reliable 4th line changes EVERYTHING.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

36. Cal says:

I’m as red as Lehner. Must be the afterglow of a great game by Les Boys. So many played very well and it was nice to see Price get a win even when ordinary. Vanek was primed and ready to explode and finally did.
    Can’t wait until the tilt against Columbus.

37. CJ says:

Good morning folks. I must confess I had to scout the Senators message boards this morning. Oh my, how rich was that 8-4 loss?

Regarding the Canadiens, great game. PP is finally clicking and looking dangerous again. I believe a lot has to do with the fact that we have adjusted and now have an option down low, as well as the point. DD can play QB, as well as PK. Basically it provides a new look and forces the opposition to adjust, which they didn’t do a great job of last night.

Truth be told, I thought the Av’s and Canadiens had a lot of similarities. There is an abundance of skill at the top end of both lineups. Goaltending is very good overall (although last night I thought Giggy was leaky) and defence remains a question mark. Both teams have great players, who possess the ability to skate and move the puck.

I’d love to see Montreal add a puck mover to the back end to replace Bouillion, otherwise we are very close to icing the best lineup possible. One of either Breire or Eller could be the odd man out when Bournival returns. At some point we need to ask that the rubber meet the road and neither Eller nor Briere are producing or making themselves valuable otherwise with any sort of consistency.

It’s hard to critique the team following a 6-3 win against an up and coming Av’s squad, so I will focus on the positives;

Fourth line. Starts and ends here. A great move by the coaching staff to recognize their contribution and give them the ice time they deserved. Weise has been terrific. All the kid seems to do is compete each and every shift. I loved that he challenged MacLeod who is no pushover. I thought he did very well and looked to land a few uppercuts. It was a momemtum changing fight and the timing was perfect. Prust, who I thought had a shoulder issue, returned and played a very good game. If he could just stay healthy for the next three months….

DD and Vanek are developing chemistry. Max will still get his share of looks, but there are now two options for 51 and I doubt he will be locked into 67 the way he once was.

Our defence look more engaged in the offensive zone. I watched on different occassions as Tinordi, Emelin and Bouillion moved the puck into the offensive zone and looked to create chances. Again, we are weak, at times, defensively, but, again, sticking to the positives, they are starting to show some offence.

Lastly, I want to shower credit upon the coaching staff who I felt managed the game effectively. They made a few in game adjustments which helped to secure the victory. So much as they get dumped on following a loss, it is only fair to heap some praise after a win.

Have a great day everyone! Calling for bad weather in Ottawa. Snow, freezing rain and a chance of franchise relocation…..

Cheers, CJ

• Habfun says:

Well said CJ I like the last line, that’s funny!

It’s all about the CH

• JF says:

Hi CJ – It seems we see the game pretty much the same way. Our posts have a lot of similarities.

I said something before the game last night abut Bergevin’s belief in having a lot of insurance. What did you think of Weaver’s performance? It looked to me as though he’s finding his way and beginning to cover for Gorges’s absence.

• CJ says:

IMO, Weaver has improved his play during each game. I thought he got off to a rough start in Phoenix, but I have been impressed since. He is a strong number six and provides that balance with his right handed shot. He and Tinordi have been a good 5/6 the last two games.

He certainly has bumped Murray, who unfortunately, of late, has looked painfully slow and out of position.

Gee I hope this link comes up to click onto.? What a treat to see for a change.

Zdeno Chara Gets Destroyed By Chris Higgins! – Stanley…
    by ACFisher96
    672,869 views

39. JF says:

It was great to see Vanek get a hat trick, but I knew it wouldn’t be long before he started clicking with his new line-mates. He was due to break out after his six shots on goal in Buffalo on Sunday. I think it also took him a while to get going with the Islanders (it took Alex Kovalev longer with us). More crow for those who claim DD can only play with Max. That was a beautiful pass from behind the net on the first goal.

But the best things about the game for me were the fourth line and the powerplay. It’s not often one has a chance to say that the fourth line was dynamite, but I think ours was last night. Speed, grit, puck possession, finish – they had it all. The trade for Dale Weise is looking like a stroke of genius. I doubt he’ll score many more goals this year, and certainly no beautiful ones à la Travis Moen or Brandon Prust, but he brings a lot of speed and he goes to the net. What are we, 9-1-1 or something insane like that with him in the lineup? As for Moen’s goal, it was an inspired, no-quit effort by both him and Prust. Prust has been fairly ineffective so far this year, either injured or putting too much energy into fighting; when he’s healthy and focused on playing the game, he’s a very useful player.

I’ve been saying for months that the team needed to make some changes on the powerplay, relying less on the point shot and trying to create more chances down low. The addition of Vanek seems to be making that happen. I’d like to see us use the point shot to get the puck through, putting a bit less on it and directing it slightly wide to make for an easier deflection. Therrien said after the game that the team had been working hard on the powerplay in practce, so I’m hoping we’ll see continued improvement. We could do a lot of damage with a lethal powerplay.

It really looks like things are coming together. Vanek is finding his niche, we’re beginning to cover for the absence of Gorges, and Carey Price is back and shaking off the rust. Even after the Boston game last week, Therrien was confident that good things would start happening soon. It seems he was right.

He deserves a lot of credit for a well-coached game and a good press conference afterwards. It must have been a tough week for him with all the hype over the return of Saint Patrick, but he handled it well and with class. Asked if he thought his team wanted to get the win for him as the Avs did for Roy, he said he didn’t think so. The team was intent on making the playoffs, and winning games at this time of the year necessitated attention to every detail, so that was their focus. Therrien may not be the most articulate or polished speaker, but when he speaks, he usually says something. So kudos for the whole performance.

• krob1000 says:

“more crow for those saying Dd can only play with Patches”?????
      UMMMM….he still is playing with Patches (and correct me if I am wrong but the argument was that of course he would generate offense with the teams top 2 wingers…who he had in PAtches and Gally…now he still does…only better in Patches and Vanek). HE is playing great don’t get me wrong but I still maintain others could do the same or better in that role.

While he is here…I am all for giving them to him…that is the only way he is efective and the other centers can contribute in all three zones…however, the problem arises once Chucky is moved to center…becaue he too will need those top two wingers, 1st pp minutes and ozone starts…at that point the question of what DD is contributing will again arise…until then…ride the wave…team has depth, DD playing well, top 3 lines all capable of scoring and even fourth…good times….but there is an elephant in the room…and it is the tiniest elephant on the team.

Here are the scoring leaders without pp points…and this is not factoring in offesnive starts, and having the best wingers on the team and matchups:

Gally/Patches 30 points
      PLeks/DD 28 points
      Brian Gionta 27 points
      Lars Eller 20 points
      Chucky/Briere 18 points

It is quite obvious given how close the teams numbers are by just removing the powerplay that they are far closer and that other facotrs are playing a role. Just 12 points separates a guy like Briere from the teams leader in Gallagher when you remove the pp….if yous tarted digging harder as I have maintained all along…any one of Chucky, Eller, Pleks or even Briere could replicate DD’s numbers if in that role…but it would not be in the best interest of the team given it’s current makeup.

DD has also played 12 games more than Chucky and 10 games more than BRiere.

• JF says:

Not really sure why you insist others could do as well as DD if given the same opportunity. Maybe they could, maybe they couldn’t. It’s not just about ice-time, it’s about vision and creativity. I love Eller and am confident he’ll get over this hump, but I rarely see much creativity from him. Galchenyuk yes, and he’ll get his chance; and you’re probably right about Brière, but I think DD is better defensively. And Plekanec is so valuable in the role he plays that it might mess things up to move him.

As for the comment about DD only being able to play with Patch, I think people were implying that any other player on that line was simply a filler or an energizer, that DD had real chemistry only with Patch. We saw last night that that isn’t the case.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think Eller is a 3rd line LW.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

Because it has already happened …Eller produced at same rate last season and first quarter of this one, Pleks has had two seasons in 1st pp unit role and with teams best two wingers and way out performed DD, Briere has done it in the past as well. The only one who has not ALREADY DONE IT and proven this already is Chucky.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Okay.. You hit the nail in the head. As I mentioned above, DD will never ever ever be a Number 1 C on a championship team, I think this is unanimous among Hab fans, and hockey fans. Same with Plek.

I agree Galchenyuk will need our top offensive wingers next season at Center.. Assuming Vanek stays (let’s not get into this)

Patch Chuck Vanek
        (LW with size) DD (RW with size)
        Eller Plek Gallagher
        Moen White Prust.

Having DD makes it impossible to have Gallagher in the top 6, which is fine but you lose his awesome PP prowess and O-zone starts.. Do Bourque and Briere play with DD? That line would suck!!!

I appreciate whet DD has done, but he needs specific players to be remotely effective, the most one dimensional center we’ve had in years.. More one dimensional than Ribero IMO. He only seems to be effective with big guys that have speed and win puck battles.. Cole, Patch.. There is the problem.. DD “owns” Patch because he is useless without him.. Sad but true.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

40. Prop says:

Maybe, just maybe, wait…hear me out here for just a second…

Could it be that Therrien knows what he’s doing?

Naaaaah…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Hobie Hansen says:

No, no, NO! Are you crazy? Are you trying to get yourself killed? All his Junior and NHL coaching experience has made him worse!

He’s racist against Subban. He’s trying to ruin that careers of Gallagher, Galchenyuk and any player under the age of 24!

He’s the worst coach to have ever walked the earth and Bergevin is a total idiot for hiring him!

41. Laramy87 says:

Maybe now that Vanek has scored, Max and DD will stop trying to find him and maybe Max will get back on his scoring. Great to see it. If Max and Vanek can get scoring consistently that can be a scary line.
    And kudos to the 4th line for each one scoring a goal, well done. I like White-y but gonna be tuff to get back into the lineup when the 4th line plays like that.

• jrs10069 says:

Agree, it was affecting their play. Now everyone can relax and spread it around. If we could only get our hands on 1 more top D, could be killer

jrs10069

42. Hobie Hansen says:

We finally saw what this team is made of last night. There are some holes but the Habs possess the ability to strike quickly with guys like Vanek and Pacioretty. The two of them looked dangerous all night. The Habs could be playing a so/so game and…BANG!

How about that 4th line? My boy Prust finally had the type of game we expect him to play more times than not!

Two very positive signs!

Disclaimer: I didn’t think there was a chance in hell that Montreal would beat Colorado last night. That’s not being negative, just realistic.

After all the Patrick Roy hoopla and fanfare, it’s great to wake up knowing that the much maligned Michel Therrien was the victor last night. The thought of Patrick Roy having to leave town with his tail between his legs makes my day.

The team you saw last night is basically the one that will start the playoffs. The only change would be Gorges in for Bouillon. Murray could be utilized if the going gets rough while White serves as the perfect sub who can play C/RW and get his nose dirty. He’s also decent in the face-off circle. That leaves Rene Bourque on the outside looking in. He defines the term slacker but is still there (if needed) in an emergency. He can play both wings and has size. I figure by now he must realize he is once again at a career crossroads. The only question is whether he cares or not.

I wouldn’t underestimate Columbus. It might be prudent to remember that this team started the season with a woeful 6-13 record. A lot has changed since then.

Saturday is the ultimate four pointer against Toronto (been there, done that). A clear win against the laffs would give the Habs a five point lead with ten games to go. I’m assuming that Price can play all three games this week. If not, then Therrien is going to be faced with a very difficult decision.

Shout-out to Jean-Sebastian Giguere – Thanks for the two points, bro!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good point about Columbus.
      Last year they tied for 8th place and lost out in the tie breaking ROW or else there were in the playoffs.

And as you so rightly point out, theugly 6-10-3 start was followed by a 29-17-3 record including an 8 game win streak

44. Psycho29 says:

Yikes!
    Sharks outshoot Lu-longo and the Panthers 29-2 in the 3rd period, but Florida hangs on to win 3-2. Nice move Gillis!

hi Psy,

Not that I didn’t believe you about the Sharks outshooting Florida in the 3rd period by a margin of 29-2 (thought it may have been a typo), but yea, you are 100% correct.

That was close to the all time NHL record of 33 shots on goal in 1 period set way back in 1941 by Boston against Chicago’s goalie Sam LoPresti (father of Pete)

45. Maritime Ronn says:

Great to see those Sniper hands of Vanek go to work.

It appears an interesting and changing dynamic is taking place on what is deemed the Habs 1st line.
    Before Gallagher was replaced, the only song ’51’ ever sang was concerning Pacioretty titled, ” I Only Have Eyes For You” and Gallagher was almost ignored.

Since the 6 games Vanek has played with the Habs – and the almost 4 Vanek has played with Max and 51, Max has not scored a goal in those 6 games.

Put in perspective, the longest goal scoring drought for Max since Game 12 of this year has been 4 games. It is now 6 and counting.

As mentioned above, 51 was always and only looking for Max.
    Since Vanek has joined the line, 51 appears to be looking for Vanek slightly more than Max, and that may be caused by Vanek’s continuous net presence.

Here’s hoping Max gets back on track – puts team first vs. individual stats, and finds his best place on that line.
    That line could become very dangerous….

• BriPro says:

Good morning Ron,
      I’ve been keeping pretty close attention to Max since Vanek’s arrival to see if it would change (hoping) for the better.
      But you’re right.
      DD, whom I think is an excellent play-maker, regardless of size, has been spreading the passes around more. And so has Max.
      The concern I do have is that Max is trying a slightly different game, and I find he’s playing clumsily. Mental mistakes.
      But if his line mates can keep this up, he’ll be just fine.
      Now off to work…

Hi Bri

It’s an adjustment period for Max.
        Before Vanek arrived, he was THE man.
        Vanek is also so much different than Gallagher’s buzz saw-crash the net style.
        It may take that line a few more games to figure out where everybody is going and positioned on the ice.

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – Who do you thing would win a skating contest – Vanek or Murray?

Vanek comes with some limitations but he brings three things the team needs: natural scoring ability, a presence in front of the net and the ability to spark the PP. He may only be here for a few months but I’m going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I’ll have to think about that contest…, but yea, you’re right.
        Let’s enjoy the ride and you never know how everything can turn out.

Who would have ever thought Minnesota native Phil Kessel, whose wife also hails from the region along with Kessel’s family, would sign a long term 8 year contract in his UFA year with Toronto.
        Kessel – a guy who clearly dislikes the media….and also played his NCAA hockey at Minnesota

• 24 Cups says:

I’m keeping my power dry on re-signing Vanek. His hat-trick really has no bearing on anything down the road. It was just a matter of time before he broke through.

Having said that, I’m starting to re-think my position on re-signing him. If people think Stastny is worth 7.5M a season (in these inflated times) than maybe Vanek is, too. And having said that, I’m still leery about giving a player 60M who really isn’t in the elite class of the NHL.

• Maritime Ronn says:

As in any other business, the market decides the worth of an asset/product.
            Cold, yet sadly true.

46. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Gratifying win, especially for MT who had to endure the two-day Roy Love-in. Can’t have been easy for him knowing there are a lot of ‘Monday morning QBs’ who thought Roy should have gotten the coaching job over him. The only downer for me is this sinking feeling I have that Prust tweaked his shoulder again and will be day-to-day going forward. I’m thinking the trainers gave him a shot of freezing or something in the room which allowed him to continue playing. Well, it’s the morning after…is he feeling the pain or what? I guess we’ll soon find out.

47. HABitat4humanity says:

Huge mistake we didnt pick up Roy when he interviewed for the coaching job. MT HAS TO FOCUS ON DEVELOPING CHUCKY & getting 3rd & fourth line scoring. and if course learning how to cover top line forwards. I’m always surprised when the Habs beat a Top team after they r down the 1st goal. Great game!

• Maritime Ronn says:

While not being privy to Coach MT’s job description, I wonder what is more important to him and the organization? Win or develop, or some combo of both?
      Somehow I believe “Win” wins out.

While many may disagree with playing time and who is still in Hamilton, the bottom line is that guys like Chuckie can force the hand of a Coach ( See MacKinnon and how he played and his skill set)

Your surprise about the Habs coming back after being scored upon first is well warranted.
      Before last night, when the Habs were down 1-0, their record was
      7-22-5.

48. Psycho29 says:

Great win by the boys last night. Good to see that the better coach won! Anyhow Patrick is new to the league, he will get better! ;-)

And a shout out to Matty (or is it Manny) who was slowly becoming the Steve Bartman of the Montreal Canadiens!! Glad to see he got to see a “W” !!!

49. Habfan10912 says:

Before I head to the gym since Mr. Boone omitted this from his ALN piece, a special shout out to Matty who ended his winless streak last night. Good thing too as the Bell Centre was prepared to bar him from future Hab games.

50. Habfan10912 says:

I don’t like the Leafs at all and I’m no fan of Reimer but don’t ya think agents ought to keep out of criticizing the coach?

51. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning! Was going to copy some of our troll wanna-be post from yesterday – you know the “Hab’s are going to get killed” kind of post. I decided against it because I’m in such a good mood.

So instead I’ll make a confession. Thomas Vanak. I’ve watched him play several times in Buffalo, NY and I saw one of his last games against Tampa. I remarked to the guy seated to my right that Vanak looked lazy, uninterested and if he was on my team he’d be nailed to the bench the rest of the game.

Although I don’t expect to see the Vanak we’re seeing now on an every night basis, I’ve never seen him play with such energy. Could the trade to the Habs been exactly what the Doctor ordered? So far so good, eh?

Hi Jim

That was 1 aspect of Vanek’s game that I had hoped would not be misunderstood by many.
      In the past, some of the best goal scorers were not great skaters.
      Not comparing Vanek to these guys, yet names like Mike Bossy and Brett Hull come to mind.

For long stretches, these guys were almost invisible on the ice – not great defensively…. then BANG – Goal, as just before they weaved their way into a slot position in the tough areas.

Vanek is never going to have the flash or a Lafleur, Gretzky, Bobby Hull, or a Marcel Dionne, yet here’s hoping Habs fans can live without the flash and be happy with the goals to come

• Habfan10912 says:

Fair enough Ronn and good morning by the way. Max seems to take some criticism from folks from time to time but like Vanak he has decent wheels.

Even when Vanak wasn’t scoring in his first few games he looked more involved, don’t ya think?

52. Stanley Cup says:

Good things happen to those that go to the net.

53. BJ says:

Biggest shocker having read all the posts to the bottom is that Timo, yes Timo posted positively. Was he hanging out with Frontenac1?

54. Maritime Ronn says:

Really enjoy what Weisse brings to the Habs.
    Even with his 1 goal and + 3 performance, he did something last night that was very important for the team.

As one that is against the Staged Fight, sometimes an emotion fight breaks out just because of the nature of the game.

Last night, Weise stuck up for a teammate.
    When 6’2″-210 goon Cody McLeod destroyed smallish and aging Mike Weaver who comes in at 5’9″-185, Weise was not going to let that pass.
    McLeod fights 15 times a year-Weise about 4-5, yet it’s not about winning the fight, but standing up for your mates.

Down 1-0 to the Avs at that point, and the Avs having better control of the puck, the tide seemed to turn in the Habs favour after that.
    Coincidence?

The Wiesse-Diaz trade saved the Habs close to $500,000 in precious Cap space

• BJ says:

Agreed on Weise. I also dislike staged fights. On the spur of the moment its all OK but not these NHL/WWF type “staged fights”. They are useless and tarnish the game. Weise has been a great addition, they had clever scouting on him and got an important piece of the puzzle for an asset that was expendable in Diaz.

Exactly
        Over and above that, Diaz was to be a UFA this summer and would have left for nothing/no asset return to the Habs.
        Weise will be an RFA and will cost less that $1M to re-sign

• Habfan10912 says:

Diaz was a huge disappointment to me this season. Given a great opportunity in which his role could be limited, he did not shine like I had hoped. The organization did well in moving a player who most likely is a depth defenseman on a good team. Weiss seems to be one of those “character’ guys our GM refers to.

• SPATS says:

Agreed Ronn, Weise has been a tremendous addition to our lineup and I believe his mates are taking notice,.especially after his tilt. Later on, the way the crowd cheered after one of our new 4th(?) lines shift came to an end after toying with the Av in their end was a sight and sound to behold. Gotta figure he’s playing hard for his proud Habs lovin Dad too! Great find by MB, this guy gives us 4 solid lines which will go a long way in the 2nd season. To borrow from Patrick…Why not us?

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

55. SPATS says:

Patrick? NO
    Hatrick? YES

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

56. BJ says:

The 4th column dressed in red rises with our Austrian who knows all about avalanches to block the oncoming Avs by going to other way. Fun game to watch and Patrick picks back up his $$$$ on the table before leaving the Bell Center.

57. twilighthours says:

What Boone and everyone else said… 4th line, vanek, etcetera.

I didn’t see any comments on weaver, so I’ll add one: he’s been very solid, and deserves to stay in the lineup when gorges returns.

• BJ says:

I also noticed that last night. Completely under the radar (probably because he’s so short) but has very quietly done his job. Lets hope that we can keep this going as the next week is pretty full.

58. Lafleurguy says:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day? I’m even happier two days after. Does Prust’s goal count as a fourth line tally? Because three would be the most ever contributed by the lower rung. Call Guiness. Have a Guiness. Hats off to Vanek, you stingy ole-ole chanters. Woo Hoo.

59. jrs10069 says:

What a f’n game!! 4th line was magic though I suspect it had something to do with Bordeleau being on the ice against them, he make Prust look like Crosby.

Happy for V but he got shafted out of the Hat shower, perhaps the fans aren’t ready to part with their $45 hats just yet. Suspect if he signs and does it again, he’ll be able to work on his collection.

Who knew that Roy was such a good coach. Not sure if the positive talk during the press conference was because he was doing it at home en francais but what a great supporter of his young talented team.

I’ll give MT some credit too, despite me asking many times “wtf is bouillon doing on the ice”, against a team that fast, can’t have Murray in the lineup.

Finally, Mckinnon could be most skilled player i’ve ever seen…what hands and feet and hussle to match. If he stays healthy look out, Wayne’s records may be at risk.

jrs10069

Re the no hat shower.
      No doubt the majority Habs fans thought that goal was scored by Emelin, as only the slo-mo replay showed it was redirected by Vanek.
      As for ‘Vanek-love’, he got the message when he came out for the 1st star when the fans chanted his name…Here’s hoping his wife heard that also and that she loves the Montreal fashion boutiques…

60. Danno says:

Peaking at the right time is what it’s all about.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

A terrific win for a host of reasons.

1) One of the reasons for the Habs awful goal production this year has been the pitiful contributions of the Bottom 6 vs. teams such as Boston. That put huge pressure on the Top 6 to produce or lose. Could last night be the start of something good?

2) On a night when Carey was average at best (.893 SP) -and while he has Careyed this team all year, he was rewarded for a rare time by a 5+1 goal outburst.

3) To get a feel of the great effort last night, and how difficult it has been this year to beat Colorado after they score the 1st goal of the game:
    The Avs were 32-2-3 when they scored first.
    The Habs were 7-22-5 when they did NOT score first.
    Not only did the Habs come back from the initial 1 goal deficit, yet they did it twice, and also scored a goal to break a 3-3 tie
    it certainly doesn’t appear to be a team that quit on its coach….

4) The Power Play.
    No disrespect to Subban, yet the whole PP revolved around him getting teed up for a low percentage one-timer from the point – perhaps because of necessity.
    This changes the whole PP dynamic and now gives the Habs multiple options

Lastly, MacKinnon is amazing and it’s hard to believe he may be another 6-7 years before he reaches his peak…..

62. Un Canadien errant says:

On a night when I was primed to experience jealousy with respect to the opposition’s head coach, and HIO was ready to self-immolate in case of a loss, the Canadiens competed for two periods with the hottest team in the Western Conference, before pulling away in the third for a convincing 6-3 win.

All the media appearances Patrick Roy put in over the last couple of days, in which he was confident, thoughtful, calm, humourous, eloquent, and inspirational revived my belief that the Hall of Famer and legend should be behind our bench. Dagnabbit. As I wrote in May 2012:

Which brings me to state, again, that especially with the dearth of great coaching candidates, either guys with lots of experience and a winning background, or up-and-coming natural choices like Guy Boucher or Kirk Muller, we should not try to bunt our way on with a safe choice like Bob Hartley or Marc Crawford. We should swing for the fences and hire Patrick Roy, instead of hiring a more middle-of-the-road candidate and then watch Mr. Roy go to another franchise within a couple of years and make us regret it. It’s kind of like when you’re at the bar: you don’t sell yourself short and just talk to the plain girls, you suss out the best-looking one and then go for broke, despite the hurdles and that little voice in the back of your mind that’s telling you you’re wasting your time.
    Patrick Roy would bring fire and passion behind the bench, something we’ve been missing for a few seasons now. He would bring instant credibility, no one would disrespect the Hall of Famer. Kids would have stars in their eyes. Much is made of his volatility, but to hear him speak nowadays you get the sense that he’s a grown man, in full command of his team. He’s respectful, humble, frank, insightful.

I could go on and on. And I did.

The perfect methadone was a good win by our boys and stepchild of a coach. There were many factors in this victory. An obvious one was a more comfortable Carey Price in net, and the resulting surge in confidence his teammates seemingly play with when he’s backstopping them.

Another bright spot was the play of the fourth line. They kept the Avalanche bottled up in their zone for long sequences, and they created a lot of chances for themselves. But we can say that often about a fourth line, what was unusual was that they actually cashed them in. Brandon Prust, who I’ve thought this season sometimes tries to make too-pretty plays, and loses opportunities or causes turnovers in the process, tonight was strong on the puck and was rewarded for his efforts. He set up a beauty goal by Travis Moen with a great diving effort, and scored himself on a one-timer, cashing in a pass from Andrei Markov.

To cap things off, the third member of the fourth line Dale Weise scored the empty-net sixth goal, on a generous play from Tomas Plekanec, who recognized that Dale had created the turnover and goal opportunity. Good for Dale, who played a great game, and good for Tomas, who is himself in a bit of a dry spell, of which I’m very much aware due to his presence on both my fantasy teams. Tomas nevertheless fed the puck back to Dale as was fitting, and we can hope that the centreman can use this game to break his unproductive streak.

I thought Thomas Vanek’s dam-breaker would be the game against his former team in Buffalo two nights ago, but it finally came tonight. He played as he has for the last few games, always lurking around the net, somehow finding the puck and putting it on net. Tonight, luck was on his side, and instead of coming oh-so-close on a number of occasions, he scored a hat trick. The third was a beauty, with a waist-high deflection of an Alexei Emelin shot that was going to be wide of the net. He ticked it in on the inside of his stick blade, and we can hope that we’ll see many more of these in the near future.

David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty both picked up two assists. There was some worry on the pre-game show on RDS that having two shooters on the same line might not work, but I think that’s not a concern. If anything, it opens up Max more, since he won’t be blanketed by other teams as closely now, the defence has to worry about two snipers.

Also, it opens up more options for David, who can be magical with his passing, but previously had to key on Max, and failing that, tried to create an opportunity to a trailing or pinching defenceman. This is no knock on Brendan, who often couldn’t be the target of an intended pass since he was tied up absorbing crosschecks with his occipital lobes. Now that Thomas is lurking around the net, defencemen won’t be able to collapse so tightly around the opposition net, and Max will find the open space he seeks to get his shot off closer in, whereas before he had to circle farther out in the periphery.

While the Gallagher-Plekanec-Brière line didn’t get on the scoreboard except for Tomas’ pass on the empty-netter, they’re also a work in progress, with some promise showing tonight again. If the refs allow them to play, if they ‘let them play’, and by this I don’t mean the Clarke MacArthur interpretation, but the logical, sensible one, whereby the skilled players are allowed to play hockey and the puck without being elbowed, boarded, slashed or cross-checked, but if that happens, that line, loaded with quickness and smarts, can be lethal. The proof may have to wait until the playoffs.

And the playoffs look more and more likely, after a bit of a scare while Carey was injured. With the Leafs and Blue Jackets losing tonight, we get a little more breathing room. It looks like the Bruins are in the clear now, with that ten-game winning streak, but we have a chance in the next games against the Jackets and Leafs to take a stranglehold on a playoff slot.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

63. HABSnEXPOS says:

Great write up Boone ! One question who is this Josh Gorges you speak of ?

64. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I see Jaro was Halakian tonight. 43 saves! Caps beat the Ducks in Anaheim. Nice to see things working out for him.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

Oh and btw, total kudos to Weise for taking on McLeod tonight… He held his own and even landed a couple. I think McLeod gave him a tap after the fact.

66. Curtoph says:

I feel like Weise’s speed helps Moen and Prust do their job better, great checking line. Fun game to watch, glad we can come back after the other team grabs a lead!

67. Frank2468 says:

And the NYR beat the Sens Senseless by a touchdown and even made the 2 point conversion. I enjoyed watching the walrus’s getting upset on the bench, well looks like he’ll be able to make his appearance at marine land on opening day. Not like you can play hockey on water anyway. And I think Lehner should stop listening to grunge music in the change room it seems to make him angry. LOL

Hahaha… Roy said “Vanek could have waited another night…” :)

ooh… and laffs lost. Even better.

• jimmy shaker says:

Needed c-bus to win as well and that could’ve pushed taranna closer to being out of the wildcard spot. Detroit and c-bus each have 2 games in hand. That would be great if they collapsed!

Shaker out.

Did you guys see that… Therrien totally schooled Roy. Wasn’t even in the same league.

Vanek unblocked… I am hoping. That third goal he scored was a beauty… made it look way to easy.

I am still worried about Price… he doesn’t look comfortable in nets. I am afraid he is still injured and is playing through pain.

Anyway… was a great game to watch. Very entertaining and what’s most important with the right result.

71. Dave Jones says:

I’d love to see Beaulieu added into the mix on D. A group of Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, and Beaulieu can, with the new found depth at forward, elevate this team to the top tier in an off year for the East. Who knows what could happen in the playoffs! Go Habs Go!

72. jimmy shaker says:

It’s good to role the 4 lines…..it’s a nice to see everyone contributing. Would like to see the gally and danny B with a couple more minutes, but lets not get carried away. If MT does have to make a change, because he doesn’t want bourque to get rusty…..I’d let Chucky centre gio and bourque and let larry sit for a game or two. Pk….playing like a norris trophy winner for a while now and nathan mckinnon is a stud. WOW! He’s going to be a joy to watch for years to come.

Shaker out!

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Galchenyuk should definitely be getting a chance to play center, at least occasionally.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

No way I want to see Galchenyuk at centre this season. He gets confused on defensive coverage in his own end. They’ll prepare him for that role in training camp. He’s a winger for the rest of this season.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Bun E. Laroque says:

I suppose you are right but it just kills me that we haven’t seen him in his natural position and if he played it more often he wouldn’t get lost on defensive zone coverage. It may be too late for this season but you learn on the job. Not in training camp.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

He’s going to need lots of patient coaching. No time now with a compressed schedule. He’ll be there next season. And Eller will be gone.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

73. SmielmaN says:

What a game! 4th line looks great! Sign Weise!
    Go Vanek! He’s the shooting equivalent of good years Kovalev! Sign him! And bring some damn hats to the next game!
    Price still knocking off rust, but looking good. The Av’s are a pretty solid team.
    Emelin is playing a lot better!
    Oh man! Habs could be onto something here!

• Bun E. Laroque says:

I concur. Great 4th line tonight. Can’t underestimate Weise. Fast and works hard. Vanek was awesome. Definitely the first offensive superstar we’ve had since Kovalev.

• Timo says:

4th line was great. Weise gives it wings… If Bergevin doesn’t sign him it will be a crime.

• 24 Cups says:

Timo – Weise is a RFA who makes 700,000 grand a year. He has no leverage and probably just wants to try and stay in the NHL. Same goes for White and to a degree Eller.

74. PrimeTime says:

DOOOOOOMERS!!! Beware……

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

75. jimmy shaker says:

Shake and bake and I’m gone!

Shaker out!

76. Bun E. Laroque says:

Weise for Diaz was a great trade.

77. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Makes sense now that I think about his reaction. Let’s hope it’s that! Thanks for the reply.

78. Maritime Ronn says:

scotland
    Does “nowhere” also mean the NY Islanders or Edmonton Oilers?

79. Mr_MacDougall says:

Thomas had the best statistical playoffs ever. Period. So if Luongo had played the best ever the Nucks would have won.. I agree.

As for trading Luo, how about Bozak, Kadri, and a 2nd.. Gillis rejected that deal…

Canucks would have been better serve with Pierre Gautier.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

80. D Mex says:

Psych : that is the perfect response.
    Question is, does he get it ?

ALWAYS Habs –