About last night …

It was the season in microcosm.

A good start, and then a slump that had us worrying about what kind of team we’ve got in your Montreal Canadiens.

It all turned out well, with P.K. Subban supplying the Hollywood ending.

And maybe the season will have us smiling, come April.

But man, it’s never easy with this bunch …

For the second consecutive game, the Canadiens squandered a lead.

Last night, they squandered a rout.

Blame the Bell Centre fans for premature Olélation, but this team has trouble finishing – goals and games.

But the Canadiens put two points in the bank, lifted themselves up into sixth place and displayed some encouraging signs that the mid-season blahs are behind them.

There was a lot to like:

• The game ended a run of 13 in which the Canadiens scored three or fewer goals.

• Lars Eller played his best game yet on a line with Mike Cammalleri and Tomas Plekanec.

• Cammalleri finally popped one, after a 10-game dry spell.

• Jeff Halpern, whose offence has been MIA, scored for the first time in 18 games.

• The PK pitched another shutout.

• Andrei Kostitsyn scored again, the first time he’s had goals in consecutive games since a three-game run in late October.

• Max Pacioretty continues to skate and hit and look totally at home with his Yankee Doddle Dandy linemates.

• Yanick Weber was plus-2, played smart and did not get slapped around unduly by a big Western Conference team.

• The Canadiens went to the net on a consistent basis. Brian Gionta was penalized for it, nullifying a Pacioretty goal, but Travis Moen and Weber were in Mikka Kiprusoffs kitchen when Halpern scored.

• Carey Price was Mariano Rivera … Yikes, did I just cite a YANKEE? … make that Jonathan Papelbon, back when he was good.

• Roman Hamrlik, Hal Gill and Jaro Spacek continue to provide a safety net for their young partners.

And speaking of young defenceman …

P.K. Subban had more ToI than anyone on either team last night. And his 27:13 included 6:17 on the PK, with partner Gill.

He should have done a better job on the Alex Tanguay goal that made it 4-4. And Subban caused yet another Too Many Men call.

But man, the kid has magic.

And that plays big in this town.

You pretty much have to go back to Guy Lafleur to find a player who lifts the home crowd out of their expensive seats shift after shift after shift.

P.K. does that.

Mike Cammalleri calls the kid Prime Time. And as I wrote in Quick Hits, P.K.’s flamboyance – such as we saw in his winning-goal celebration – deeply offends the delicate sensibilities of the Ontario Orange Lodge spinster aunts who run the NHL and Hockey Night in Canada.

Know what?

Joke them if they can’t take a $%^&.

Montreal is not Kingston.

We LOVE our hot dogs – steamé and all-dressed.

Buffalo tonight.

1. JohnBellyful says:

Okey-doke. Just had to speak up for my idol. Sensitive that way. Just like you are about Kingston. And good for you for sticking up for Kingston. That’s where my family comes from — and Inverary. So no, don’t take any guff.

2. heartandgoal says:

This is PJ Stock BS.  Speculative do-nothing commentary.

3. krob1000 says:

I am not going to pretend it’s easy to follow my posts since I rarely edit and write them like I am thinking them not how they should be read….so no biggie.  Not a slight at Beliveau..cetainly not like the slight at Kingston.   To each their own is right..I like em all… Cherry,  Beliveau,Subban and Kingston..and even Montreal….but c’mon gotta stick up for my Ktown….especially when Montreal is being somehow praised as a hot dog loving town….not when hockey is involved they aren’t…they are the most traditional and conservative organization in the league…..please Bellyful…sleep well knowing I was not disrespecting Le Gros Bill…..but praising him as being the epitomy of dignified…and our poster boy…but also he is the furthest thing from “hot dog” the league has ever produced.

4. Keith Anderson says:

Not disagreeing you, but did you notice the way P.K. avoided Gomez to celebrate his goal?  Gomer was left by the boards looking like a deserted friend when Gionta offered him congrats for a great set-up.  I’m just wondering if Gomer was offended.  Isn’t that part of what caused P.K. to sit earlier?  His “lack of respect for elders, including on his team”?

Number 4 Jean Beliveau just sent me a picture signed by him in the mail today, after meeting with him and Reg Houle last week when we were in Montreal for the week.

It is a 7″ X 10″ black and white, one of a kind shot of the boys in uniform just before practice. It must be from around the 1958 to 1960 team. Jean signed it and sent it to me.

Great  group picture of the team standing on the ice. Toe Blake and Frank Selkie standing in the bench area and standing on the ice is J. Plante, Phil Goyette, Harvey, Provost, Pronaveau, Tom Johnson, Ferguson, Don Marshall. Dicky Moore, Jean Guy Talbot, Jean Beliveau, H. Richard, Bernie Geoffrion, and a few more that I do not remember who they are.

Next person that knows how to scan it that drops by, I will put it up
    to view on the site. But it has a thick backing on it. So I don’t know
    how to scan it.

6. JohnBellyful says:

I did read them all, but I lost the sense of context when Beliveau was drawn into the conversation in a way that seem to slight him by saying he lacked spunk. Cherry is flamboyant, Le Gros Bill is dignified. To each his own.

7. krob1000 says:

think you need to read all the posts to get the context….wasn’t a knock against Beliveau at all…more that it is hypocritical for Boone to be cticizing Kingston as an old conservative town when Montreal is the oldest and most conservative franchise in the NHL.

8. TommyB says:

Yeah, you’re definitely on to something there.

9. patience is a virtue says:

Ya, it’s best not to look at that.  The deal is done.  If he leads us deep into the playoffs again it will be worth it.  With the youth coming into form there are some strong playoff seasons ahead and Gomez will continue to be an important leader and play maker.

10. bwoar says:

Just fyi, there are more than 4 black players in the NHL.

11. Habby_Haberton says:

Geez are people just looking for controversy or what! Taylor Hall did the exact same celebration I watched one game and no talk of anything… Hating on this guy is just attracting more haters!

12. JohnBellyful says:

I want to make sure I understand the hypocrisy you’ve cited (the periods threw me off). Are you saying Cherry is derided for being flamboyant and Beliveau is lauded for being humble and lacking “spunk,” even though both men are conservative in nature? Spunk, according to my dictionary, is defined as “spirit, courage and determination.” So I think I’m right in thinking you’ve dissed my man. But rather than leap to conclusions I’d be interested in learning how you arrived at your characterization of Le Gros Bill.

Perhaps you might think more highly of Jean if he shouted his opinions ad nauseam with little regard to substance and sensitivity, and scant evidence of reflection.

Mr. Beliveau is not the entertainer Mr. Cherry is. But Mr. Cherry, who’s not without some admirable qualities, is not the man Mr. Beliveau is. Call me a hypocrite.

13. SHUTTemDOWN says:

Poor placement; see below

14. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Habby birthday to the Captain – Brian Gionta!

15. Shiloh says:

Hi Ian. I’m sure you’re right. I’m very happy today with the win, especially because the team bailed out Alex Auld, who didn’t have his best game. Auld has a tough job coming in cold and hasn’t had a ton of work this year – not that I disagree with the use of Price who’s been hot almost the entire year. It was a terrific shot too – a wrist-shot laser maybe half an inch under the crossbar where no goalie could get to it. Gomer’s pass was a beauty – just wish he had gone over and embraced Gomer before the celebration. But no big deal – I just like the players who, after they score a goal or touchdown, or hit a home run, act as if it’s all a part of the normal deal.

16. SHUTTemDOWN says:

I heard Kingston had quite the Klan aka KKK membership  back in tha day….just sayin’.

17. Shiloh says:

Uh, Brady – 98% of the sentient population would have understood that I referred sarcastically to your CAPS LOCK message – sorry that doesn’t appear to include you at this time. BTW, there appears to be a few extra a’s in the latest incarnation of “suckaaa”. Is this the new form of plural or simply the intensive form of the noun “sucka”?

Dis is da shit, comin’ back at you.

18. G-Man says:

The replay from behind the net showed what a great “no look” pass it was. But all people see is his salary.

19. Ayan_SB says:

“Asked whether he’s worried about retribution on or off the ice for daring to express his joy, Subban just smiled.

I’m not afraid of anybody or anything,” he said. “I was just happy, that’s it.”

20. SHUTTemDOWN says:

21. CBrady12 says:

man you are dumb…first of all it is impossible to tell that you are being sarcastic when reading one line of text, second, I never apologized for calling you sucka, cause thats what you are, I was apologizing for using all caps. and you aint da shit, ur just shit….

BTW in my 7 decades of existance, I’ve heard plenty of people being called suckaaa

Don, I know the kid, its not about him, that he is celebrating, its his team and fans that he is sharing with. Got to get out and hug a little more my friend.! And I don’t mean your priest.!

23. ZepFan2 says:

lol so true.

I bet if Dryden was a rookie today in the “new NHL”, he’d be scrutinized over the way he leans on his stick. I’m positive that would be construed as Dryden being bored with his opponent.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

Oh, oh. Shiloh dah shiznit iz in da hizhouse boiiiii!!!!

PK and Price are young. Let them exude their exuberance. Eventually Cammy’s coolness and the examples set by the other veterans will rub off on them. That’s what the new leadership presence on the team is for. Give it time.

Go into any greasy spoon in Montreal and order a “chien chaud, vapeur, toute garnie” and all you’ll get back are vapid stares. Yes Mr. Boone, it truly is a “hot dog, steamé, all-dressed” world.

27. krob1000 says:

it just doesn’t add up…sorry it doesn’t…and yup…I am defensive of Kingston because you have to be on here…Cherry is public enemy number one on here so Kingstonians are all guilty by association…..but c’mon when Montreal is calling Kingston or anyone for that matter conservative when a hockey related discussion is taking place….it is completely laughable ….. I’m a victim of municapalitism and it…sob..sob…hurts sometimes…and what in the world are you doing being the defender here? Ktown is your new team…are you a Kovalev..is your heart still in Montreal? lol

28. Shiloh says:

Brady – I was employing sar-cas-m when mentioning the capital letters. As to being called “Sucka”, I was not offended. Does that make me “Da Sh*t”?

29. notbigbird says:

But we’re Canadian! Even the Cammy mini pump is considered a little too expressive.

30. patience is a virtue says:

Lots of excitement last night, eh?  Some things to worry about, more things to be happy about.

One of those that has been neglected this fine morning is Gomez’s hold up move and pass to PK.  Loved watching the play-making in his eyes on the replay.  This is the Gomez we need for the stretch and the playoffs.

31. twocents says:

Well, Rob, it’s one of those things, you either get it or you don’t.

I certainly don’t have the time or skill to express it here.

Man, are you defensive when it comes to Kingston stuff!

32. krob1000 says:

Tucker and Domi were two of the hotdoggiest weiners the NHL has ever seen…..and TO loved em…as did HNIC, as did Don.  Yet Wendel Clark and Gilmour were very respectful but played with every bit the fire.  I can’t count how many people I have known that have named pets or even children Tucker or Domi ..never met anyone who named a kid or pet Gilly or Wendel…

33. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Are you upset with Chara’s “hat’s off” gesture after his hat trick yesterday?

Did Ovechkin’s “hot stick” dance from a couple years ago fly with you?

I love to see emotion, and I hope these over the top celebrations continue…

34. krob1000 says:

On ahockey note…did anyone see that shift by Iginala when they were way down…he jsut wentaround to a few different HAbs…hittting them and giving them extra shots…he understood his teamw as asleep, needed a wake up call and he did something about it….it was both exciting to see as I loved what he was doing as a hockey fan…but I worried right away….he changed the complexion of the game with his one shift…the team then responded…then when he scored….you knew it was on for the third.  We got caught eearly and momentum was on their side…good news is though that we took it back….and Calgary really only had the one good chance late….but what Iginlas did there late in the second is what we have needed so many nights …especailly nights that ended 3-0 for the other guys…but many times it seems so obvious we need a spunk shift…..when a guy like Iggy who is their best player does it…it is fun to watch and has to be motivating…..

35. ZepFan2 says:

I’ve always loved the Tiger Williams celebration. lmao

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

36. avatar_58 says:

Oh what a shame, other teams hate the habs. I for one, welcome that scenario. Who wants to be liked? I want to be feared

37. joeybarrie says:

The kid just scored an overtime goal. For the life of me I cannot understand why people get upset ove an individual celebration. He wasnt thinking WOW look how great i am. He was thinking that was like shooting an arrow, and Im am an archer……. MANY MANY MANY players has done individual celebrations.

God forbid anyone want to make hockey more exciting, and more colourful. NO NO, just hug your mate and bow to the crowd…….  WE ARE LOOKING FOR HEROS TO FOLLOW.

Look at Soccer, Football, Basketball, Baseball…. Lots of individual celebration. Also LOTS OF FANS. Quite a few more than Hockey… Its ok to be different. Its ok to be loud.

Reminds me of the Molson Canadian commercial. CANADIANS ARE RESERVED……….. HUH??? Remember Savard.

Watch these…..

I YEARN TO SE SOME EXCITING CAPTIVATING HOCKEY. And all the celebration that it brings……

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll go out on a limb and predict you’re in the minority here when it comes to PK’s celebration.

I looooooved it.

Then again, aren’t you the Yang to Boone’s Ying?!

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

39. Max_a_million says:

Really?

Find something positive to say, it will be good for your heart.

40. Max_a_million says:

I would much prefer it if he never loses his exuberance.  It’s a big part of why we are so enamored with him.

41. smiler2729 says:

P.K.’s celebration was fine, man, he was pumped, he had just scored the FIRST game winning goal of his NHL career and it came in a tense must-win OT situation (and it was a beauty shot!)… you need to lighten up.

If his jubilant style upsets you, maybe you should root for the staid, boring, just awful Maple Laffs who play in a quiet library-like mausoleum where polite applause is barely tolerated.

This is HOCKEY! This is the 21ST CENTURY!! Every other sport has colourful hot dogs, the NHL needs to liven up!

42. krob1000 says:

He is referring to PK ..and hot dogs…and saying Kingston is crusty and conservative…and since this is a hokcey forum…I would assume it applies to hockey.  Cherry is as flamboyant a character as there is..yet he is viewed as conserative….Beliveau is as conservative as they come….he is the teams chief poster boy….yet he is lauded for his humble attitude and lack of spunk? a little bit hypocritical if you ask me…Montreal is by far the “stuffiest” organization out there…we are “traditional and old school” as they come…and I reread boone’s post and that seems to me to still be the point….I am not sure how else Kingston gets involved.  Is Kingston a more conservative town than Montreal..yup….is this true in a hockey sense…..don’t think so….is Cherry conservative….politically…yes….hockey wise…debatable…yeah he loikes old school traditions on celebrating and respect…but he is a far more flamboyant character….hot doggish if you will than any Habs personality I can recall except maybe Patrick Roy, Guy Lafleur …and maybe someday PK Subban.   I like visiting Montreal….I love living here….not sure of their relevance in this blog.  Montreal loves their hot dogs? who? who does Motnreal love that is a hot dog? Sergei? Ribeiro? Tucker? Montreal media has been giving PK as hard of a time as anyone..when he is down that is…then they are high on when he succeeds?…Montreal likes winners….that played for MOntreal…that simple….nothing wrong with that…but leave Kingston out of it thanks…especially in a discussion about conservatism when Montreal is the most conservative organization in the NHL…..Montreal is the “kingston” of the NHL…..old team like Kingston is old city….and it shows every bit as much relatively speaking.

43. CBrady12 says:

no i pushed the caps on purpose…sorry was I showing too much emotion for you??? I’m sorry if it offended you, or maybe hurt your eyes or something

44. CBrady12 says:

here ya go old timer…welcome to the 21st century

45. Shiloh says:

Two quick things:

1. Your Caps Lock appears to be stuck in the ‘ON’ position.

2. First time in my 6 decades I’ve been called “Sucka”.

46. Shiloh says:

I love this player and I saw his comments after the game. He’s learning the game – in giant leaps. I don’t think he celebrated the way he did because of selfishness – he was just over-the-top happy. It’s good that he realizes it – but other teams won’t forgive and forget so easily.

47. CBrady12 says:

WELL YOU BETTER GET USED TO IT SUCKA CAUSE HE AINT GOING ANYWHERE AND THERE IS ONLY GOING TO BE MORE OF THIS TYPE OF CELEBRATION FROM HIM AND OTHER YOUNG PLAYERS IN THE NHL!!! WOOOOHOOOO GO PK!!!

HATERS GONNA HATE!!!!

48. christophor says:

Everyone who thinks this is a problem thinks its because it mocks the other team.

That’s BS. It has nothing to do with the other team.

Listen to the Tanguay interview for some common sense.

49. TommyB says:

If Toronto had a hot dog to get excited about, you better believe there would not be enough mustard or relish in the entire province to pile on it.  (Hmmm, is it just a coincidence that we keep hearing about tainted meat from a packing plant in Toronto known as Maple Leaf?)  Anyway….

Nothing wrong with PK’s exhuberant celebration last night.  An overtime winning goal for a 21 year old, what’s not to celebrate?  I can only hope that he scores so many overtime winning goals that he becomes indifferent to it!  Good on ya, PK.  And I won’t mention the goals against that you were on for.  You’re forgiven, for now.

50. RGM says:

Next win will equal his career high from 07-08 and the one after that will break it.

If he does hit 40 this season, it will also be his 100th career victory. That would be a fantastic milestone for a goalkeeper not yet 24 years old.

51. twocents says:

Rob, I think you’re missing the point with the Kingston/Montreal thing. It’s not about hockey specifically and certainly not about the history of hockey. Boone is referring to the disparity that exists in the way the citizens of these places view the world.

Kingston, I’ve lived in Montreal, I’ve lived in your borders too, Montreal’s my home town. Kingston you’re no Montreal.

52. oshawahabsfan says:

Hey Boone, your pal Michael Farber did a nice piece for sportscentre. It aired yesterday for Martin Luther King Day. He interviewed the four black players on Atlanta and visited Dr. King’s memorial site with them

53. Big Ted says:

I’ll throw out the counter to that and say that it’s refreshing to see a young player who enjoys playing the game, and his actions were in no way disrespectful to the other team. It was a spontaneous reaction of joy, and he’s far from being the only player in the league to do this. I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. PK was one of our best players last night, he scored the winning goal in OT, and guys like him and Price, who win games for us, should be allowed to celebrate.

54. wd40 says:

Seriously?

i’ll take his heart any day. it was pure unadulterated excitement from a 21-year old who just scored his first game-winning goal (in OT no less). He admitted his celebration was over-the-top during post-game interviews, and how can you not forgive that?

Next! Suivant!

55. Shiloh says:

I am certainly not a product of True Blue and Orange Masonic Family Compact Ontario. I am a Catholic grandson of European immigrants to Ontario. I do not yearn for the old, plodding style of hockey and I certainly love to see progress.

But I hated PK’s celebration as much as I hated Price’s pose the other week. Throw your arms up, cheer, hug your teammates – but don’t mock the other team and don’t make it all about you. While PK was shooting his arrows(?) he wasn’t sharing the moment with his team, and he wasn’t embracing Gomez and saying “Thanks, man – what a pass!”

56. krob1000 says:

Montreeal not kingston? just caught that….Kingston is every bit the hockey town that Montreal is…the game is severy bit as old here and the talent per capita is likely every bit as good too.  The town is right in the middle of TO, Ottawa and Montreal and used to be a farm town for th BRuins….Cherry is and was a Bruin, now he essentially works for the Leafs…..of course he is going to play to them.  I have never had  a problem with PK’s attitude….I have no issue with his celebration…I have no issue with Price’s reaction either….I did get a little upset with Ovechkin who seemed to go crazy over his personal goals over team goals early on …he would go nuts for his hat trick in a 5 goal rout…that is a little offside and disrespectful…but I think he has learned from that.  As for the Montreal is not Kingston quote again….is there a fanbase  in the NHl that is more old school and more traditional than Montreal…if there is please let me know because I am not aware of it.

57. patience is a virtue says:

As a Kingstonian (born and raised, gone and back again) who lived in Quebec for seven years, I can say that Boone is bang on about the old crusty conservative side of this place, as compared to Montreal.  There is an Orange Lodge from the 1840s just around the corner from my place.  Its shadow still lingers on the city’s culture.  But it is an interesting hockey town with plenty of young talent, outdoor rink culture, and a hockey heart pulled between the Leafs, Habs and, more recently, the Sens.

PK is the kind of exciting future star who will yank all but the crustiest old heart strings up towards the beaufitul Island City and its boys in BB&R.

The team in the making in Montreal combines the best of youth and experience, defense-first and exciting offensive flair, speed on the attack and steadiness in net, calm and steady (JM) and passionate (KM) coaching, etc.

If you get off the injury-riddled, emotional roller coaster of the months since BG blew up the team in 2009, you can see a clear picture of a true contender coming into focus.

Plenty of us Kingstonians will be along for the ride these next few seasons!

GYFHG

58. redgorf says:

SUBBAN is good ,the refining is’nt finished yet. But to compare him to Mr ORR is abit much.It seems that afew gaols and the CH are done, they don’t have the killer instinct, when it happens they play like they’re 2 dehind.

59. RS says:

As someone (with Orange Lodge forefathers) stuck in the heart of the city they used to call “Toronto the Good” when it was run by the Orange Lodge, I loved that line!

Uptight Protestant Ontario has changed, but the NHL (and hockey in general) but especially HNIC, is still dominated by a stiff bunch of small-minded people who’s heads are stuck in the past.

I generally agree with the saying that you should act like you’ve actually scored before, but OT winners in a crazy game like last night do deserve a little more.

60. Barts says:

Orange Lodge??? Really. I thought this was a forum for sensible hockey discussion. I wonder what a certain assistant coach would think about the ‘Montreal is not Kingston’ quote. And Montreal is not Barcelona either, so when you score, take a cue from Sweetness and act like you’ve been there before.

61. Kappy says:

Carrie Price now has 23 W’s on the season.  He is on pace for 40 W’s (knock on wood).  That would be a huge accomplishment as not to many goalies get that many wins in a season in there entire career.  I think he is going to do it and really hope he does (knock knock on wood).