About last night …

819199-craig-adams-goute-medecine-douglas

Dominated at the Bell Centre by a team fighting for a wild-card playoff spot, lucky to salvage a point, your Montreal Canadiens took to the ice 24 hours later against a team that sits atop the Eastern Conference standings.
With Carey Price nursing a mysterious lower-body injury – groin? knee? – Peter Budaj had to play both ends of a back-to-back.
And when the back-up goaltender let in two soft, short-side goals in Pittsburgh, how many fans looked at the upcoming California trip and pondered the possibility of our heroes tumbling out of a playoff spot by mid-March?
Oh we of little faith!

In their first two games coming out of the Olympic break, the Canadiens took three of a possible four points.

It wasn’t pretty.

At times, the games against Detroit and Pittsburgh were downright ugly.

But they found a way. And when the dust had settled, the Canadiens were in second place in the Atlantic Division.

This should be cause for celebration in Montreal and among the Canadiens’ far-flung community of fans.

It isn’t.

Yes, the Canadiens beat the Penguins in their own barn.

No, the win did not soothe fan anxieties. And the game raised more questions than it answered.

The most ominous: What the heck is going on with P.K. Subban?

The reigning Norris Trophy laureate came back all smiles from Sochi. He played limited minutes in only one game for Team Canada, but P.K. assured everyone – including RDS’s Pierre Houde, in an interview telecast before the Thursday night game – that it was a great learning experience and he was just glad his team won.

Maybe P.K. was trumpeting that party line in Pittsburgh after he spent Overtime nailed to the bench, watching Douglas Murray and Jarred Tinordi.

During regulation time, P.K. was on for three Pittsburgh goals – including the Brandon Sutter shorty that was a direct consequence of Subban coughing the puck up at the Pittsburgh blueline and making hardly any effort to get back and correct his error.

Subban had six minutes less ice time than Andrei Markov in Pittsburgh. He also played less than Josh Gorges and Alexei Emelin.

Among the Canadiens’ defence corps, only Murray and Tinordi had fewer minutes.

When asked about Subban during his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien said: “Il n’est pas dans son match.”

Roughly translated: “He wasn’t on his game.”

Wednesday wasn’t his night either. Subban’s penalty for embellishment deprived the Canadiens of a power-play in OT against Detroit.

With his hometown team coming to the Bell Centre Saturday night, P.K. will be looking for redemption. In a game almost as crazy as the one in Pittsburgh, the Leafs lost in Overtime on Long Island. But they’re only two points behind the Canadiens, and the Saturday game will be huge.

The Canadiens’ most gifted skater will have to bring his A-game against Toronto – especially if Price is still nursing whatever ails him.

Let’s hope the coach steps it up a notch as well.

Subban had company on the bench for the Overtime in Pittsburgh.

Therrien didn’t use Daniel Brière, whose nine minutes of ice time in regulation produced two goals an an assist.

And as was the case against Detroit, Alex Galchenyuk – a key element of the team’s future  – spent the OT on the bench … while Brian Gionta and Lars Eller each got two shifts.

Eller was in the penalty box when Olli Maatta gave Pittsburgh a 3-2 lead that lasted 57 seconds. Held off the scoresheet again, Eller has four points in 31 games and, as a punishment for his penalty, found himself on the fourth line centring Travis Moen and George Parros as Brière moved up between Rene Borque and Dale Weise.

In Game 61 of the schedule, Therrien is still looking for line combinations that deliver with some minimal consistency.

DD’s linemates, Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, had 11 of the Canadiens’ 29 shots on Marc-André Fleury. And Galchenyuk had some decent chemistry with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta – although the kid played less than 12 minutes.

Bottom line, though: Three of four points – without Carey Price.

1. Plekasuares says:

Murray played like crap oh well

2. PrimeTime says:

Whine and criticize all you want but last night was a fun night of hockey. Sitting at the local pub and watching both Habs game and Leaf game with fans of both was great! So many ups and downs in both games was a seesaw of bravado. This is what hockey fans enjoy. Some of you take it way too seriously and miss out. If winning and being the best is all that matters to you, then prepare to be disappointed more often than not. Personally, I enjoy the good things and don’t sulk about the bad – it makes the day much more enjoyable.

In saying that, PK will improve, as Price has, with more maturity. Trading Markova at this point would leave us without a #1 D. I think he will be signed for 2 yrs and that should be sufficient time for PK to grow into his role and earn his new 7.5 – 8.5 mill contract.

Don’t expect much from MB at the trade deadline. He will not gamble away prospects to obtain a starting player without contract term. Those players will be expensive. Trading any of our vets would not return anything greater than their current value. Be patient and allow the build process to continue. The future will continue to improve from the last administration.

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

3. Bob_Sacamano says:

Only a dumb GM would trade Eller now. A smart one would move Desharnais.

• PrimeTime says:

How many GM’s want a player for the reasons you don’t like him? If they see something more than you than perhaps you’re wrong about him.
      ********************************************************

• Mattyleg says:

Oh man, pleeeeeeeeease become the GM for the Leafs… pleeeeeeease!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs-fan-84 is Canadian says:

I’m absolutely stunned you’re not a GM for an NHL team.

• Steeltown Hab says:

This makes completely logical sense anyone who thinks otherwise is lost.

4. krob1000 says:

Re Eller trajectory and PLeks….many forget that Pleks was not developed over night…he was a product of 3 full seasons in the AHL after a couple pro seasons in Europe. At age 23 he scored 29 points in the NHl and was not the noted specialist he is now. The next season at age 24 he scored 49 points. It wasn’t until he was 25 years old AND playing with Kovalev that he developed into the 69 point guy. At that point he was a steady player but was not the defensive stalwart he has become. Eller has a similar skill set but seems to have zero confidence and quite honestly is playing bad hockey right now (although he was the one who screened the goalie on Emelin’s goal…a shot that never would have gone in otherwise as it was a weak wrister).
    Eller has plenty of time but desparately needs an infusion of confidence. He did get some minutes on the 5 min pp and in OT and had a shootout chance so perhaps MT is realizing the kid is suffering from a severly bruised ego. Eller is also in an important contract year and with a new family that has to be weighing on his mind.
    I still believe strongly in both Eller and PK but I can see they are both hurting bigtime condifence wise right now.

PK has 1 goal and 5 assists in last 19 games…and is a -9!! That is not the PK we are used to and that is not who he is as a player but he too is lacking any confidence right now and a guy like him with his style needs confidence….as does Eller.

• mdp2011 says:

Sorry, but I disagree with your PK statement. If there is one thing PK does not lack is confidence. I think he suffers from over-confidence at times. To me, ever since early January, which coincides with being named to the Olympic team, PK has been brutal in his decision making and his play has been down right lazy at times. I think this fact and the fact that MT seems to be giving him more free reign(besides last night) , has contributed to his lack luster play the last while. I love PK, but I was furious last night with him and was happy MT nailed him to the bench.

• krob1000 says:

I disagree…he oozes confidence …..yet that does not mean he is not having a conflict with what he thinks he should or shouldn’t do. Early in the season all of his risks were calculated, he seemed to have the freedom and confidence to do what he wished. Then once the team canada talk game and every decision he made got scrutinized he started to doubt himself. At times he would then try to do too much…because as you said he is a confident guy….but being confident and playing confident and decisive are two completely different things. PK is showing serious doubt in his game and appears to me anyway to be having a battle between his ears….his underlying confidence is saying to do one thing but the voices he has heard over the last few months are causing him to hesitate and there is an indecision in his game. Much like Eller I think he is losing touch of what is expected of him and getting seriously messed up.
        It is confusing….it seems for 55 minutes the team wants him to be a normal dman and then when/if down they want to flip on the switch and tell him to go…well that may work if he was a robot but he is a young hockey player trying to make his way, he is a human and needs to regain his decisiveness. This to me is a confidence issue…doesn’t mean PK is not a confident person…but his play…is far from confident right now.

• Cal says:

Good points, krob.

5. Psycho29 says:

Here’s a real Hab’s fan for ya:

Steeltown Hab says:
    January 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Kinda hope Cole just torches the Habs.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Fans will have some resentment, I’m not all negative, didn’t like the idea of trading Cole for a rental when we could use the size. I’m sure most here would’ve rather kept Cole than signed Briere.

• Cal says:

After he crapped the bed last season? No thanks. He wanted to go where his salary would be higher and he got it. Texas, the hub of hockey. Not.
        Cole has 14 G and 11 A this season. And is -11 playing 15 minutes a game.
        Brière is playing just under 13 minutes a game and has 11 G and 10 A and is +3.

6. habs-fan-84 is Canadian says:

So, Therrien 2.0’s record now stands at:
    59 39 11

HE SUCKS!!!!

• Luke says:

59 Lucky Games 39 True Indicators and 11 Loser Points.

;)

• Psycho29 says:

And they’ve taken 9 out of the last 10 possible points

I respect that record, but why do I still not like him?

So question back though. A team with a record like that, what should their playoff record look like?

• Luke says:

I don’t know why you don’t like him. Not everyone is going to like everyone. It could be as simple as that.

I’m indifferent towards him. But the record is solid, and the dumping he takes is unfair IMO.

I’m being completely honest Luke, I couldn’t stand him before, I didn’t like the hiring and I have done everything I can to accept the job he is doing. But I still despite the record, don’t like him. I think he coaches the team to not lose, grinds out points in the regular season, yet we get completely throttled in the playoffs. (And yes we had injuries, but so do other teams, its a big boy league)

So, perhaps if this season the team goes in and wins the first round, I will believe that indeed he has this team ready to win in the playoffs. But I guess until I see some semblance of playoff success I am not sure he is the guy long term.

I totally get he isn’t getting fired this season, and I am fine with that. I for some reason still like MB and trust him. But I for some reason can’t help but think MT is a 2 or 3 year max. term coach. I think he was brought in to be part of the transition under MB.

Heck maybe MB is really smart and knew MT would attract attention, a lightning rod per se, and that this would keep MB under the radar until after MT was dismissed.

He has done a good job, but has he done a good job with our future? I guess we will find out…

• Luke says:

Oh, I know you are being honest.

That’s why it may just simply be a matter of simply “not liking him.”

I don’t like Stamkos. And I couldn’t explain why. He’s awesome at hockey. But bleh… don’t like him.

I’m just super indifferent to MT. And I really like Gerard Gallant. Again, I couldn’t explain why. Its not like I’ve met the guy.

Coaches are coaches. In all but the most rare examples, 3 years and gone.

I agree with your assessment of him. Transition coach for a team in transition.

• mdp2011 says:

I hate MT as much as the next guy, and some of his decisions infuriate me, but he has only had one playoff series. Can we at least wait until after this season to crucify him?

• Phil C says:

Hopefully we will find out this year. The Habs got hit with the injury bug at the worst possible time last year. I don’t care what team you are or who is your coach, you need to be healthy to win.

• habs-fan-84 is Canadian says:

Last year’s series against Ottawa was weird. This will come off as making excuses, but they were decimated with injuries (Eller, White, Prust, Gionta, Price etc.). With that in mind, from what I remember they outplayed Ottawa in almost every game (aside from the beatdown in Ottawa).

We seem to be handing out mulligans right now, so I’m going to give that series as a whole a mulligan.

This year will be more telling imo (especially after a full 82 game schedule).

• Psycho29 says:

@HiB:
        I’m not MT’s biggest fan, and if he got fired tomorrow, I wouldn’t lose any sleep . I think his character rubs people the wrong way.

But his record is good here, so I don’t think he’s going anywhere

• Steeltown Hab says:

This is the most talent MTL has had on their roster. Look at what he inherited, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, another year developed Subban, Eller, signed Prust, Bournival who made it this year.

A lot more impressive than what Jacques Martin had.

7. Phil C says:

So the Habs can beat the best team in the East. They got a point from a Detroit team that had Chicago on the brink of elimination last year. The seem to own the Bruins, the second best team in the East. Can we say they are contenders yet? Barring a complete collapse down the stretch, they playoffs are all but guaranteed. I think its time to put the tank back in the garage for another year.

If the Habs can figure out how to get a #3 defensemen without mortgaging the future, the playoffs could be fun. I actually am more concenrd about their 1st round matchup than their potential second or third round matchup.

• Kooch7800 says:

If that was Price in net the habs would have one in regulation. 2 softies on Buds last night.

Phil the real test will be next week in California. If the habs struggle they can fall down the playoff chart pretty quickly. Saturday is a must win as it is a 4 point game

“Lets Go Canada”

• habs_54321 says:

price has not faired so well against Pittsburgh over the years and let in his fair share of softies. lets be realistic

• Kooch7800 says:

I am being realistic. Price is playing probably the best he has ever in his NHL career with Waite as the goalie coach.

If it were not for Price we would not be even in the playoff picture

“Lets Go Canada”

• Kooch7800 says:

Also, you might want to go back and check the game tape of the habs game in November where Price held the fort and we won in OT

“Lets Go Canada”

• habs_54321 says:

fact is we have had many barnburners vs pitts with price in nets

• Kooch7800 says:

Fact….he won the last game in November for us and is one of the best goalies in the world

“Lets Go Canada”

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Doesn’t matter what kind of team we have. When it comes to a showdown with the damn Leafs, it’s always must win.

• Kooch7800 says:

Here is hoping. I am in southern Ontario (you are further south) so I hear it from all my leaf friends when we lose

“Lets Go Canada”

I imagine Windsor took it on the chin after the Detroit game. That must suck having both Leaf fans around you and then Detroit fans as well, and they have had a reason to brag for years now.

• Kooch7800 says:

I went to school in Windsor and vast majority were wings fans down that way. 22 straight seasons in the playoffs…..hard to argue with that.

Hopefully this year they don’t make it!

“Lets Go Canada”

• Phil C says:

.500 hockey probably gets them in at this point. But I agree the Saturday game is important.

8. Kooch7800 says:

I hope the Habs sign Murray for another year.

“Lets Go Canada”

Nice mentor for Tinordi. I think we’ll see him traded though. I think MB will try and harvest what he can out of his bit pieces, Murray, Moen, Bourque, Gionta, etc…

If not trade, would be an excellent depth guy for next season. Surprised we are not seeing Drewiskie in the lineup prior to trade deadline.

• Luke says:

Last I heard, Drewiskie was away on family leave.

hadn’t heard if he’s back.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am surprised Drewskie hasn’t been sent down for conditioning in Hamilton.

This is just me but I think trading Murray would be a mistake before the playoffs. He is exactly what we need come playoff time. He hits, clears the net and is money on the PK.

I like Tinordi but he is still young and doesn’t have the same intimidation value that Murray does.

“Lets Go Canada”

• boing007 says:

Me too.

Richard R

• 24 Cups says:

We desperately need a right shot Dman for next year. If he has size and hitting ability then Murray can walk.

• Kooch7800 says:

Greene in LA would fit that bill

“Lets Go Canada”

• Cal says:

Pateryn. I still don’t understand why he’s not being given the shot. He’s big, too, and from all reports is playing a good physical game in Hamilton.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think you will see him get some games in the near future Cal. They seem to be rotating in the rookies as part of their development. Pateryn is a little older than Tin man and Beaulieu as well.

After the deadline is over you will probably see him come up for a game or two

“Lets Go Canada”

9. habsfan0 says:

Laffs rarely have 2 bad games in a row.
    Habs better bring their “A” game tomorrow.

10. lach60 says:

Gentleman’s bet…Desharnais gets 60 points this year.

Any takers?

11. WindsorHab-10 says:

Looks like we’re stuck with this coaching staff until the end of this season & then who knows.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Moulson the most meat-head owner in the league, doesn’t care at all about winning.

Lets’ go get a french coach who hasn’t even been rumored to of been considered for an interview by any of the other 29 teams in the league over the last 3-5 years of his unemployment.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Can we please have an ignore feature on this site?

Please?

• Psycho29 says:

Matt Moulson owns this team? I dont think he’s allowed.

Aren’t you the same poster who back in Jan said he hoped “Cole lights up the Habs tonight” ?

The team has taken 9 out of 10 points, and are 2nd in the division.

• Steeltown Hab says:

We just took 3/4 pts, and this team looked awful and very concerning. Do you watch games or just post based on what you casually read?

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not really an MT fan but on what grounds would the ownership fire him? The were top of their division last year and are in the playoff hunt this year. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

The habs have been a revolving door for coaches for the last decade.

“Lets Go Canada”

• Steeltown Hab says:

Subban, Emelin, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk have all regressed this year. These all all guys trending into their prime who should be improving.

That’s pretty significant.

• Graceland says:

You don’t have to be French, even though you imply he should be from France, not Canadian. You have to speak French in this market. Do you really believe that a coach in Toronto, doesn’t have to speak English? It’s a fact of every pro sports franchise in North America, that you have to speak the language of your market.

• Steeltown Hab says:

The league speaks english, that’s the fact. International soccer teams have coaches from other countries, no reason MTL needs a french speaking coach when all the player speak english and maybe 10% max actually know french.

12. jrs10069 says:

DD seriously turned his game around, making MB look like he may have known what he was doing.

Bourque, Eller or Emelin will be traded before the deadline, willing to put money on it.

Who is this Weise guy skating around thinking he’s Benoit Brunet?

jrs10069

• Steeltown Hab says:

Must be nice to skate with the most talented winger and the most consistent winger every single game while more established vets, and more important future pieces have to suffer.

• lach60 says:

Haha ever think Pacioretty puts up those numbers because he has Desharnais feeding him the puck?

Desharnais could easily have a career year, despite his horrible 20 game start to the season.

EDIT: Maybe not a career year, but a very good one.

Get over it.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’d hope he could have a career year considering there isn’t one thing extra they could do to facilitate his production more. You don’t think it’s strange a guy like Plekanec has never gotten a shot to play with Pacioretty?

Do you think if we had a 24 yr old first round pick 6″2 physical and skilled center named Desharnais, that he would be losing minutes to an undrafted undersized, slow center from Denmark who’s a pretty good passer and is already 27.

Organizations intentions were obvious with Briere how is this different? Early ext for Desharnais, hold out on Subban who was way more proven.

Think about it.

13. Mondou6 says:

Just a quick note here…

I’ve seen a lot of comments about how PK “gave up on the play” after the turnover-breakaway.

I was watching the Pens feed of the game, and at the start of our Power Play, the announcer said, “MT may want to take a time out here for Montreal at the start of the power play. Subban has been on the ice for a really long time, and he looks gassed, and now he’ll be out there on the power play.”

And they mentioned a couple more times about how PK looked spent during that PP. So…”pas d’excuses”…but I think that had something to do with it looking like lack of effort getting back.

14. DipsyDoodler says:

For those calling for Briere to get more ice time, perhaps centering the 3rd line.

I think his defensive play makes this a non-starter. We are already a team that is 2nd best in puck possession and scoring opportunities almost every night. Briere would make that worse.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Desharnais’ defensive skills don’t seem to stop MTL from icing him as a #1 center. Point is why bring in Briere if you’re gonna make him the scape goat for the team’s structure which is the main issue. He’s been effective in his limited minutes, and deserves better.

• Phil C says:

Is Briere a bad possession player? He is pretty good with the puck when he gets it. Without it, not so much. Not sure how that would play out in the stats, but a line centred by Briere would be able to hold the puck.

15. Steeltown Hab says:

At this point it’s obvious this org never had any intention to create a real role for Eller, when he showed he was the #2 of the future the priority was to break up our best line to because Pacioretty and Briere isn’t good enough talent for Desharnais to look half decent.

At this point I realize Eller won’t get a fair shot, just want to see Galchenyuk and Gallagher together on a regular basis.

• Strummer says:

Eller’s had 3 head coaches and 2 GM’s in the last 3 seasons.
      For a player trying to establish himself this is less than ideal. He keeps getting thrown to lions with a never -ending rotation of spare-parts-type line mates.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• jimmy shaker says:

kind of similar to pleks situation….never really had any top notch wingers for an extended period of time except for kovalev and AK46 for a year or two. But through all the juggling/changes, pleks has proved his value and become a great two way centre in the league. My point being……pleks talent has rose to the surface throughout it all. The same needs to be said for Larry as well, no matter who’s flanking him. If he isn’t scoring, he needs to be up and down the ice playing great defensive hockey, winning face-offs, making some hits and doing the other little things that don’t show up in the stat sheet. He’s really become invisible out there lately, much like bourque, which is a whole other can of worms.

Shaker out!

16. Steeltown Hab says:

Therrien if your best player makes a mistake he deserves a f*cking mulligan, like holy sh**.

Why continue to create stories, how many times does Gorges cough up the puck in his own zone on easy clear outs. Why is Subban treated like he’s Nail Yakupov in his rookie season. Now this idiot Therrien looks competent for getting 3/4 pts when the team has looked worse than I’ve ever seen over these last 2 games.

• habs-fan-84 is Canadian says:

A mulligan? How many mulligan’s are you going to give this guy. Subban has been terrible for at least a month now. If you’re not prepared to admit that, you’re not being honest with yourself.

• Mustang says:

I think that PK is a great player and I have no idea what is going on right now. Yes, he coughed up the puck and I look at that as, sh*t happens. Coughing it up didn’t bother me but he made absolutely no effort to correct his error. As noted above, he had been on the ice for a long shift but he could have still at least tried to get back. This lack of effort after making the error is much more troublesome than losing the puck in the first place.

17. thebonscott says:

Therrien was the wrong choice, look forward to the day he is let go. I have newfound respect for Briere, as he continues to make the most of 4th line duty and limited minutes, he is refusing to fail, after repeatedly being put in a position where most would fail. And Eller looks so lost, will be a solid player someday but i fear it will be with another team.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

18. GL says:

I don’t know how good Eller can be and I don’t think anyone else knows. If someone asked me my opinion. This year he has played below average now I don’t know if it’s his line mates, Lack of ice time or he’s not really that good but so far I would label him as a below average player. A weak 3rd line player probably would be a real good 4th line player.

19. thebonscott says:

PK needs to stop overhandling the puck, there is no need to dipsy-doodle with it on every possesion, I now it’s coming, the fans know it’s coming, the oppostion know it’s coming, and they are ready for it. And while he is dipsy doodling, his teammates are caught flat footed awaiting a pass or turnover. He needs to make quick passes and keep the overhandling to a minimum. It is so telegraphed now that he needs to recognize his teammates are open when 2 players come at him.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

20. Old Bald Bird says:

We have a thoroughbred in Carey and a stallion in PK. The trouble is that we seem to be trying to break the stallion.

Or we just need PK to hang out on the dude ranch with Carey in the offseason, perhaps all that rodeo work is the key!

• mount royal says:

Clearly, PK needs more discipline. His last two games have been painful to watch. Again and again, he misses good breakaway pass opportunities, because his first instinct is to assess whether he can break up ice with the puck, Even if that lasts only half a second, which is often the case, the opportunity is lost and the forwards` rhythm is broken.
      His unique talent is obvious and it is being abused. So what is a coach to do? Nothing? Punish him? Encourage him ? All of the above? I think that MT is doing all of the above according to the situation. For those of you who think that PK`s feelings are going to be hurt when he is punished and that he will pout over it, I believe the opposite. PK responds well to challenges that are painful and obvious. He will come back stronger. If he can`t, then his long-term career will take another path.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I wonder why he’s regressing lately.

I can never understand the hockey philosophy of benching a player. You’d think an encouraging hand on the shoulder and a “Let’s settle down,” comment would do.

And if benching were to be the ultimate answer, I cannot fathom why it is primarily applied to mainly one player. Is it a case of “to whom much is given, much is required?”

• tophab says:

play subban 30minutes a game and let him do what he wants and we will have the best player in the world on our team. yes even better than crosby.

21. Strummer says:

“Malkin should have been well-rested after his Russian vacation”

-Mike Richards TSN 1050 Toronto

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

22. HabMan111 says:

Long time reader, first time posting. MB is still dealing with contracts from the last administration and some of those are coming off the books this year. I think MB knows the team is small and lacks a #1 centre and scoring on the wing. The D has the most potential with bigger, more 2-4 guys in the minors, if they develop, which they appear to be doing the proper way…slowly in the minors. Watching the team, it’s obvious RB, Gio and Briere are not living up to their contracts and I see Eller as a 3rd line centre with the ability to fill in at #2 now and again. He’s big, good skater, good defensively and good in the locker room. But, the more I watch the team, especially watching Babcock on Wednesday night and in Sochi, it’s obvious he’s a far superior communicator and tactician compared to MT. I think that’s an understatement. That’s important because if Babcock is coaching Eller or Briere, I think it’s a different story. Briere scored two goals last night in under 10 minutes of ice time during regulation. On Detroit, I feel Babcock would enhance those skills and have him playing a strong team game to boot. He would also keep successful line in tact as well…stick with them, work with them. If not, your destroying team chemistry and success in my opinion. So, I think whatever MB is doing contract wise and putting pieces in place for now and the future, he now has to seriously look at the way MT handles players tactically, and especially emotionally/psychologically because the team I watched the past two nights, and prior to the break, is fragmented, with some players being isolated and punished without any real plan to correct behavior overall. I think we are seeing the weakness that Pittsburgh saw when they replaced MB a couple of years back. He’s punitive, without a plan. You can be punitive with a plan, like Scotty Bowman, who played with players’ heads but always with the intention to put them in a place where they could succeed and help the team.

Welcome aboard, pretty much agree with your sentiments.

• HabMan111 says:

Thank you and everyone for the welcome aboard…much appreciated!! I likely won’t post much on here, I’m a guiet guy but I enjoy reading the articles and all the posts. All the best!!

• A good coach gets the most out of his players and plays a system fit for them, and not the other way around.

If you have 21 of the fastest skaters on the planet (in general, not Montreal), do you make them play a shot blocking defensive system?

Welcome aboard!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

23. frankcasting says:

PK’s gonna get a serious offer sheet that will make Weber blush. I hope he takes it, and rubs it in the face of these amateurs MT and MB. Habs deserve so much better.

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Mondou6 says:

I agree 100% with this.

1) There are teams out there who are going to be willing to break the bank to get a young, charismatic, Norris winner, who puts up big points.

2) I have no clue what MB is thinking letting other teams set the market for arguably our most talented non-goalie. He’ll be forced to outbid every team in the league for PK, or let him walk.

3) The way MT makes a big show of punishing Subban, even as a veteran now, has to grate on his nerves. How could it not?

4) If you were in Subban’s shoes, what would the incentive be to re-sign with us, if you could get more money elsewhere, play for management who really wanted you, and quite possibly play for a Cup contender, or a team that would really let you shine?

24. songles says:

I like PK and I think he’ll have a great career, but until his game becomes more consistent, I don’t see how the Habs can afford to trade Markov. At the very least, Markov is useful in bringing up the other young D-men (none of whom project to be as good as Markov).

• theflukester says:

For 1 year Markov will make $6mil. There’s your #1 reason why not. Montreal can easily afford to be without him. He’s not as fantastic as everyone makes him out to be. He’s old and slow and he makes mistakes just like anyone else. Subban is probably discouraged because he got F’d over in the Olympics. His ego is probably bruised. He needs a few games to settle back down. I’m not worried.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

Did anybody catch the headmaster’s reference to Woody Allen last night? I loved it – funny as hell.

26. Paz says:

Malkin and Crosby were breaking through our blue line on the rush on the Pittsburgh power plays, and then setting up in our zone.

Subban had the puck alone as he crossed the red line and our 4 forwards were lined up against the Pens defenders on the Pittsburgh blue line.

Subban thought he could break through the line by deeking one Penguin, but he lost control of the puck and was caught flat footed.

That play, breaking over the blue line to start the power play is very common. It is used instead of the dump and chase alternative.

Subban did not keep his speed up and he hesitated right at the key moment when he was making his deke. Once you drop your speed that play has much less chance to succeed,

You guys want to question his IQ like I read below, go right ahead.
    I’ve seen Larry Robinson make terrible plays that cost us goals and no one ever questioned his I Q.
    I have seen Plekanec crap the bed several times this season, never benched.
    I’ve seen Gorges crap the bed on several dozen occasions leading directly to goals, no benching.

Subban is not treated like a “young veteran” yet by his coach, and that to me should raise way more red flags than Subban’s mistake last night.

If I was Subban I would be questioning whether I can happy playing for Therrien, not that Subban’s happiness means anything here at HIO, right?

I won’t stick around today, I’ve got other commitments, but please go back to your Subban bashing. It will no doubt continue on this Habs site (what irony!) for days to come.

There will come a day to rejoice when Therrien gets his due.

I just hope Subban is still a Hab on that day.

• 24 Cups says:

The turnover is one thing, but the real issue is how he totally quit on the play. He stood there like he didn’t give a shit.

Subban is a great player but he’s not perfect or a god. I love what he brings to the team but he has been subpar for the past 20 games. The truth is the truth.

Subban has to discover the fine line between spontaneity and accountability.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I think you are absolutely right. At some point PK will get fed up with “being taught a lesson” by MT everytime he makes a mistake.

Jacques Lemaire had an interesting approach to situations like this one. I read in an interview that he tried to focus on capitalizing on a player’s strengths rather than be fixated on their weaknesses. It’s a good point, because a coach could turn a player inside out in order to correct a difficiency only to ruin him on what he did best in the first place.

• JUST ME says:

The same Jacques Lemaire who preferred to get out of Montreal because he could not stand anymore to explain every decision he took and every move he did not make. Exactly what Therrien has to go through with the Hio connaisseurs. What is good for one…

• HabMan111 says:

I agree 100% with you. Subban makes mistakes but I saw quite a few of them this season from the veterans. There’s definitely an environment where certain players are favorites and certain players can fart and that would be grounds for a benching. That will not work much longer.

Putting all of the HI/O hatred for Coach Therrien aside, I want to ask an honest question. I’m hoping to get a logical, unemotional response.

Do MT and MB ever sit down and discuss the ebb and flow of the team and is MB solidly behind the decisions that Therrien makes as head coach? Are they philosophically on the same page or is MB gritting his teeth wondering what the hell is going on in terms of how the team is handled? I think this is an important question, not only for the push to the playoffs but next season, as well.

Let’s say they are on the same page. What ramifications does this have moving forward? If they are at odds, is there a chance that MB can sit down with his coach and ask him to rethink some of his beliefs and strategies?

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t know.

My view is that MB’s plan is to build for the long run, hence not trading away picks and prospects, leaving Beaulieu and Tinordi time to get seasoned down in Hamilton, taking it slow with Galchenyuk.

In the mean time, Bergevin is trying to ice a competitive team that can make the playoffs, without handcuffing himself with long term contracts.

He had to settle for Bouillon, Briere and Douglas Murray in the off-season, none on onerous contracts.

I would suggest that things are going according to plan, and that the performance of this team exceeds what we might have expected on paper. For example, I think the Rangers and Flyers have better rosters, but they are below us in the standings.

• Habfan17 says:

very nice read. I do wonder if MB is happy with the use of some of the players he has brought in. like Briere!

I would say, MB and or MT are being too protective of Galchenyuk given how players like Barkov and Mackinnon, both younger, are doing in their natural positions. I am not saying he should centre the number 1 line, but he should be centering the 3rd line IMHO.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

I would have to say that I do believe they do sit down and discuss things. What I see that seems to be a disconnect is the way MT is using the players.

Many times I have heard GM’s say that they don’t get involved with the day to day coaching. It would undermine the coach and that is their job. Based on what has happened with some of the players, Briere as an example. I would think tat MB has had private” discussions with MT to voice his views on what he wants to see happen. I say that because that is what I would do when I had an issue with something that was happening that did not fit the plan.

I don’t like posts that simply say MT is a moron, get rid of him. I do like posts that present examples of how MT is messing up and why he should be fired. I am on the side for letting him go. I know he has a very good regular season record but he, like Martin, has never been able to elevate a team to win when it counts.

I see a lot of players struggling, regressing this season. It is normal to have a couple of players struggle at any given time, but there are too many struggling with the Habs and for too long.

I think an important aspect of a coaches responsibilities is to see when something or someone seems to be heading for problems and help them so they don’t

I am not a MacLean booster, but one thing I think he does that is very important, is during games with players. He goes over when a player has a tough shift and pats him pn the back and gives a few words to put things in perspective, like he did with Lehner last night when he was pulled. All I ever see Therrien do is glare!

Ego works two ways, from the players and from the coaches and one thing that Therrien has not been able to overcome, in my opinion, is his ego. Much like Tremblay. The players know you are the coach, you don’t have to beat them over the head with it!

That is what I find is a big weakness in Therrien, his ego. He needs to learn, it isn’t about him. I find he is a weak tactician, but that is for another day.

Habfan17

• Mike Boone says:

I think they talk on a daily basis.
      And in a conservative organization like the Canadiens, there is no way the coach goes rogue making decisions with which the GM might take issue.
      Just my two cents.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• Habfan17 says:

A question for you Mike, Do you think MB is happy with the way MT uses Briere, especially not putting him on in OT last night?

I mean, he signs him to a $4million, two year contract and he is on the 4th line with energy players. Do you think that is what MT told Briere he would be doing when he offered him the contract?

Habfan17

• I’m guessing Bergevin has some say….back early on when it PK was getting average ice time, the media and fans were fit to be tied. Then all of a sudden PK starts to get Norris type icetime (I’m still not happy I want him on there more, but he still has to learn those type mistakes like last night are not acceptable) .

Therrien’s contract will run out and the Habs will be bringing in another coach, I’m hoping they bring in someone different. For years the Habs have been coached the same style by different people. God, defense wins games but it doesn’t have to. Puck possession wins games, two strong lines, good defense, and a great goalie.

As for someone different and francophone? Target him now, get him to Hamilton, and let’s get er done in a few years.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Habfan17 says:

Hey Sholi

Yes defence wins games, but it does not mean you can’t have a strong puck possession offence. I am with you. They need a coach that can out together a system that exploits both. Detroit has been very successful and they play puck possession without ignoring strong defence. It can be done, apparently not by MT!

Habfan17

• I hear ya, I don’t make these things up, we all have opinions, but once an Western Good Ol Canadian boy starts slammin the francophone coach people think it’s because of language. It’s not, I honestly think Therrien is not a good coach. Forget the standings, the Habs have played poorly almost every game all season.

OK I’m done for the day, I’m swamped and we have a two hour practice this afternoon to get ready for the City Championships.

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Cal says:

MB and MT as well as the entire staff must go over how the team will play and MT is there to try to get the players to play that way. They all must feel that the team is a “grinding” one. (They aren’t, to my eyes anyway).
      Unfortunately for fans of puck control and speed hockey, the results are speaking for themselves: 61 games in and 3rd in the conference.

Good question Steve. I suspect they do talk/communicate, but that doesn’t have to mean MB likes or thinks that MT in the long run is his guy. I am still in the camp where MB knew there would be 2-3 years of mediocrity before this team was ready to have final pieces added in order to make a serious run.

28. ths says:

PK should just demand 8m for 8 and hold out if they don’t pay it.
    He also needs to protect himself from injury so don’t expect lights out play for rest of season. Any fool can see his potential so he can just look out for himself now. He doesnt need fools like Therrien managing his career

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• 24 Cups says:

I think PK getting 64M is a given. The real question is will he (and his agent) maneuver their way through the new CBA so Subban can hit the 10M mark. That’s certainly what I would do.

29. RetroMikey says:

Bottom line:
    This team is still an average team if that.
    No woohooos coming out of me.
    Start talking trade Bergevin.
    You are not fooling me or others hoping this team will do some damage in the playoffs.
    As I’ve said many times, this club will play good games and mostly bad games.
    There are only 5 players we can build on this franchise whole other ones are expendable.
    So…….praise the coach or player for the V yesterday?
    BIG IS BETTER….ESPECIALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• sane hockey fan says:

how to you get to 2nd in the division 3/4 into the season by playing mostly bad games?

• Bernier for Team Canada! :lol:

Go Leafs Go
      That’s Gold Baby!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Strummer says:

Nice assist by Bernier on the ISLES’ goal last night BTW.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Sounds like my woohoo may have bothered you, its a shame you can’t even enjoy when the Habs beat the best team in the conference. Perhaps the Leaf result is what is stuck in your craw.

• Cal says:

Sounds like. Never any reason to think the team just might be better than most here think. The sum of the parts making the whole much better. Last night was fun and entertaining despite the gaffes. Fleury looks like he is playing his way out of the starting job again. Either that, or he wants to make Bylsma a nervous wreck.

• RetroMikey says:

Dude,
        Yuo live in Burlington like I do.
        Go take the wife out to Napolean’s Steakhouse or a walk along Spencer Park, or better yet at Joe Dog’s for some wings.
        You are too much of a Tommy Texter here 24/7, like wow I say!
        Couple of comments for me here and I’m outta here enjoying my place at Millcroft Park subdivision doing things with the family.
        Read the Bible, perhaps you can pray with others if yo think the team is going anywhere now or in the future.
        Remember, when God is on your side, who can be against you?
        Amen I say.
        The CH does not stand for Club de Hockey Canadien but Christ in Heaven!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• RetroMikey says:

The best team in Bettman’s NHL is the Gooins followed by the Maple Laffs creeping up slowly.
        Pittsburgh, like the Habs are too soft will crumble come playoff time if no changes are to bolster them to have big physical bodies.
        BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. piter says:

I’m thinking Lars should make an appointment with the psychologist, and bring PK with him. Seems to me both of them are lost, and could benefit from it. It did wonders for Lars last season. If I’m not mistaken, Lars scored 4 goals in the very next game after seeing the shrink. I’m impressed that they managed to get 3 out of 4 points. Budaj sure didn’t look like the lights out, back-up we knew from the beginning of the season. His positioning and timing seemed off, and that’s not good, considering his positional play is what his game relies on. Waite has his work cut out with him. I can go on, but I have to head to work. Lets hope our players find their way, sooner than later, and put a string of W’s together. Leafs suck. Go Habs Go!!!

31. Dust says:

So when DD was struggling The habs took Gally away from a very productive kid line to play with DD and PAtches. That seemed to get that line going.
    Now that Eller is struggling will the habs put Gally back with him to reunite the Kid line to get them going again?

32. jacquesthemonkey says:

Interesting thought. Several on AC last night were suggesting that MB should trade Eller. What do you think? His place could be filled by Briere or Gally.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The problem is that Eller will not yield much return. I like Lars and still hope he turns it around.

The only trade I see happening is one for a similar player: 24-25 year old who isn’t quite panning out where he is. A bit like the Pouliot for Latendresse deal.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

1 for 1, maybe not but he could be part of bigger deal involving other players or draft pics. A few teams could use a 2nd or 3rd line centre with his size and skills. A GM might see his potential if he was paired with the correct wingers. Remember the EGG line?

33. nek25plus says:

Sholi2000-no where…he’d be dropping his resume off and referring to himself as MIKE!

34. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! 2pts out of a Loco game? I’m not complaining. “Stache got an assist and Crankshaft was giving it to Sid too. Saludos!

35. boing007 says:

The players won last night’s game, not the coach.

Richard R

36. nek25plus says:

There is nothing wrong with PK. He made a mistake in a game that was full of them, on both clubs. Not sure treating him like the bad one and singling him out helps anyone. If they sat for mistakes…there should have been 75% of the players sitting. Therrien is no Babcock. He is simply the only choice as they have a criteria where by the coach needs to speak French. When u choose language over ability you get a reduced amount of options.

37. jacquesthemonkey says:

Is it me or is the Norris Trophy the worst thing that could have ever happened to PK? Add a large multi-year contract and the expectations will be impossible. No doubt that he’s going through a slump, but the heightened expectations puts every error in the spotlight. You also wonder whether it influences MT as well. Does Chara get benched by Julien with he effs up?

Where does Briere rank in the NHL for goals scored in minutes played? He is starting to show the sick skillset he indeed possesses.

39. mksness says:

PK is not high risk for god sakes. he made a mistake and people should chill. If anything budaj was brutal last night. watch chara, weber and doughty….. these guys make mistakes as well.

give up 5 goals and people are just worried about a blocked shot that led to a goal. budaj was so horrible on a the brake away that a cone had a better chance of stopping it

• Lafleurguy says:

Below his usual level of play in the past three seasons, but he stopped 3 shooters, what’s-their-names?, in the shootout.

• mksness says:

3 of the 5 in the game were brutal. especially the first 2.

that’s more those players, what ever there names are missing in the shoot out than him saving it…

Better to be lucky than good? Or does one make their own luck?

Either way he had a rough night and the Habs got two points. Good for Budaj, I am sure his next game will be much better. In fact didn’t he player very well against Detroit and only got 1 point?

Sorry Booner…

“Il n’est pas dans son match.”

roughly translates to

“He isn’t (or wasn’t) on his game.”

or better…

“It wasn’t his game.”

41. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

Here’s a quick poll question;

Would you be more concerned if you were the Habs regarding PK’s play, or the Penguins regarding Fleury’s?

IMO, it might not just be St. Louis who would benefit from Ryan Miller. Just my two cents…

42. GL says:

If you can figure this team out. You’re 5-times smarter than I am.

43. Old Bald Bird says:

Brian Wilde now has a post game blog.
    Maybe MT apologists shouldn’t read this one … or maybe they should.
    Wilde has not been an MT basher btw.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hmm….a coach “seeks to destroy confidence….?” Not credible given the precarious job security coaches possess.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Good catch, but I think it’s bad editing on Wilde’s part. It doesn’t seem like he meant to say “seeks” when I read the context. Maybe “seems?”

“He seeks to destroy confidence when he thinks he is teaching lessons.” Makes more sense with seems?

• Phil C says:

I agree with him that Briere is not being used enough and that the relationship between the coach and Subban is concerning approaching free agency. Subban now has the right to go to arbitration and get a two year contract then become a UFA. The thought has to be going through his mind.

Bottom line though is that the biggest problem is PK’s play, not the coach. If he realizes how to start playing like a pro, things with him and Therrien will be rosy. At least Therrien has the stones to try and correct Subban.

I don’t agree that benching players hurts their confidence as much as he may think. A touchy-feely writer might be crushed in those circumstances, but not an elite athlete. Some of these guys need a heavy hand with discipline.

• Bash says:

“seeks” was the right word but in the sense that he wants to punish, deflate, make an example of…Does he think that his actions motivate, inspire, install confidence?

Sometimes players deserve to be benched and or have their ice time reduced. But MT’s actions defy logic.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• sane hockey fan says:

Actually Wilde has been critical of MT for quite some time now..

Also, thanks for lumping everyone who supports a coach who is producing results with a mediocre team into ‘MT apologists’…

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Wilde was the one who wrote the article earlier in the season accusing Therrien of racism in his treatment of PK. He lost all credibility (and respect) with me at that point.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

44. boing007 says:

Love that photo of Murray crunching the Pens player into the ice. He has some value. Keep him.

Richard R

45. boing007 says:

I remember that clip when Mario Lemieux undressed Raymond Bourque at centre ice then scored. Did the coach bench Bourque? No.

Richard R

• Lafleurguy says:

I think Bourque was forced into covering up a teammate’s turnover and no one except Mario could have dangled the puck in Bourque’s skates, at high speed, and then retrieve it with full control, and then snipe the goal.
      P.K. stickhandled the puck to Sutter.

• CJ says:

I remember that play to. Sorry, are we comparing that play to PK’s turnover last night? IMO, there is almost no similarities.

• sane hockey fan says:

Since you’re saying he wasn’t benched, I’m assuming you have that whole game on tape and re-watched it before posting this, right?

That flip pass by Elias last night for the Devils was very impressive. Great to have a full night of hockey on the schedule last night.

Oh yah pretty sweet getting two points in Pittsburgh.

Now lets just beat Toronto and what a first week back that would be!

GO Habs GO!

47. Lafleurguy says:

@Garbo. Nice post. Straight to the point, unembellished, and the opposite of classless.

Today’s odds of making the playoffs stand at 94%. Now those odds can jump 6 or 7 points in one night but the team is still hanging in there.

Mike Boone hates to hear about ‘must wins’ at this stage of the season (too many clichés) but I somehow feel that’s what Saturday’s game against the laffs is turning out to be. I feel Budaj will be fine and the team is playing at home. Toronto also gave up five goals to the Islanders of all teams. After that, the Habs leave Sunday to fly out west which won’t help Price one bit in terms of his groin. Then four games in one week against western teams that slice and dice the east (i.e. Philly last night).

It will be interesting to check back next Monday to see what Montreal’s playoff odds are. The trade deadline will have passed (we’re not selling as long as Molson can sniff a playoff spot) and there will be just 16 games left in the season. Realistically, I’ll take five out of the next ten points and then see where we sit in the standings.

49. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

PK’s numbers this year…

Elite? Not IMO.

The thing about him that’s getting under my skin is his friggin’ aw-shucks-everybody-makes-mistakes attitude/demeanour after he screws up. Did you see him after last night’s game all smiles and high fives? Come on, PK, at at least hang your head a bit and dial back the wattage on that grin of ours. Do it for your teammates. Do it for us fans. Show them and us that you’re a even a little ashamed by your eff ups.

50. PrimeTime says:

I hope the play of PK in last nights game will help make him a better team player. To those fans who continue to criticize MT, a coach always knows know about the team and the players than you. His W-L record speaks for itself….what’s yours?

51. Cal says:

Good morning, everyone. In honour of the concert I am going to tonight, here’s some Paul Simon.

52. Castor says:

It’s not even PK being benched in OT that drove me crazy last night about annoying Therrien. Normally I would have been ticked about it, but PK was not having a good game. So it’s fine….(though few players get “punishes” as much as PK does).

What I don’t get is how do you not play DanieL Briere and Galchenyuk in overtime?! Briere already had two goals and an assist and Galchenyuk is freaking Galchenyuk… But you play Eller? Twice?!

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, winning record aside, that was baffling and it isn’t the first time Therrien has made strange decisions.

If MB is actually trying to move Briere at the deadline, it would have hleped having Briere score the overtime winner! Briere spun gold from the 4th and 3rd lines last night. He should have been on the ice in overtime as should Galchenyuk. It was mentioned earlier that he has been out for a while and that may be why. He had a broken bone in his hand. His conditioning seems fine as does his timing. He has more skill than pretty much any other player on the team. Put him out there, build his confidence. It amazes me when you have players like Barkov and MacKinnon doing o well and playing in their natural positions. Logic dictates that it is easier for a player to learn the pro game in their natural position than it would be to have to learn the pro game on top of a new position.

Habfan17

53. petefleet says:

The thing for me is that PK didn’t learn a damn thing sitting in the press box watching what was probably the best D corps ever iced for an olympics or any other world class hockey tournament. The reason he was not on the ice should have been evident to him very early on and he should have been mentally adjusting his game for when he did get back on the ice. He is uncontrolled talent, as opposed to the controlled talent that the other seven guys showed game in game out. I have no doubt that PK could one day be in the elite company of the top six guys on team Canada, but not if he continues to display poor judgement like he did last night. Someone below mentioned Karlson in Ottawa doesn’t get bench when he makes a mistake. No he doesn’t, but he’s not usually in scramble mode either. His play is somewhat predictable night in and night out. You will probably never see him lunge at an opponent to get back in position or throw himself into the play (literaly) to try to break up something because he got caught.
    Don’t get me wrong. I love watching PK do his thing but it has got to be maddening for the coach, even if it all works out 90% of the time. Predictable play is much better for a team of athletes. Set plays with an opening for raw talent to shine through are probably what MT would rather see. I think more of a Markov set of smarts with PK’s athleticism would be good. I believe PK can get there but he really has to get his head together. All the cliches in the world won’t change how he plays on the ice. I think he needs to make a change.
    High risk -high reward, yeah I guess. The high risk was very evident the last two games but not the reward. If he can’t temper his risky plays, defensively and offensivley, with numbers on the board, MT will continue to bench him in OT… and maybe even if he does MT might still bench him.
    Play the tapes back PK. Watch how those other six guys played their position. Yeah they made mistakes but not because of careless, risky play. Then play back the eleven and a half minutes that you played in the olympics and see the difference. It should be very clear why you were the odd man out.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Habfan17 says:

Nice read. It is disconcerting to watch PK almost regress this season. I am not sure how much is self inflicted and how much is coach inflicted. Your point is well taken, I thought PK would have learned from the experience in Socchi, it seems he has not.

Habfan17

• Old Bald Bird says:

At least 3 players — PK, Eller and Emelin — have regressed this year. And then there is always the very strange case of Briere to consider. Don’t forget the use of #27. So, where does the responsibility lie?

• Habfan17 says:

I see your point. In Emelin’s case, he was coming back form a serious injury so I give him a bit lf latitude. On the coaching side, we all see Emelin struggles on the right side, the coach should see it too!

Habfan17

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Very well put. I was quite critical of Therrien early on in his usage and treatment of PK. But now, I must admit, I understand it. MT is all about team concept, while PK is often a free-lancing individual.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

54. DipsyDoodler says:

If you can’t enjoy a wild win over the best team in the conference, you may want to reconsider how you spend your leisure time.

I was working with the game in the corner of my computer screen, and it was good fun.

Over on EOTP meanwhile they also have that weird Tourette syndrome whose only symptoms is typing out “Therrien is a moron” every time they feel a bit anxious.

55. Storm Man says:

PK ask for a trade?

56. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. No one this side of Eddie is a bigger supporter of PK. That said, I have to side with the coach last night. It was a teaching moment and not the type of hissy fit we saw in Philadalphia in what seems like months ago. PK needs to be better and the coach is attempting to get that out of him as opposed to the temper tantrum of a 3 year old we saw in Philly.

I’d continue to ask, and maybe even beg, that the coach begin to give the teams most talented forward the ice time and the assignments his talent warrants. Not playing Galchenyuk in OT makes me want to scream. Dear Coach, play the kid!

3 out of 4 points where I’d have been happy with 2. I’ll take it and move on to the Leafs. CHeers all.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

Perhaps we forget that Galchenyuk had not seen real game action since January 6th – over a month more than the guys that had an Olympic rest.
      That’s a very long time.
      Maybe the coaches saw something.

As for PK, it may have been another 1/2 hissy fit had the Major penalty not been called on Pittsburgh. (see below)
      Perhaps the bigger question becomes, how many MORE teaching moments are required…or is this just the way it will always be?
      The next game for Subban will be Game 290 in Subban’s NHL career…

• Habfan10912 says:

Scary thought but ya know his skills and his confidence in those skills is an important part of his game. He needs to find that balance, eh?

• dano58 says:

I think maybe he and the coach are a little bit at odds and he was upset about not playing in the olympics so he is trying too hard. Maybe he has relationship problems or whatever but his game is off more than a little this year. Maybe it’s the dumb and chase style of hockey we are playing but something is amiss so someone better get to him or his big payday will not be so big after all. A supreme talent rivaled by only a few that needs to get back on the rails. A conversation by the coach to his family or previous coaches may be in order to see how he snapped out of funks earlier in his career. I am a fan but something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

GO HABS GO!!!

“The excitement of the fans in Montreal,especially in the playoffs,I don’t think you can get that anywhere else. For a hockey player,I kind of wish everyone could go through that and experience what it is to play there. It’s very unique.” Saku Koivu

• Habfan17 says:

I am starting to get concerned that PK will never learn how to harness his exuberance and talent and reach a level where he becomes truly elite! Yes, he did win the Norris, yes he has talent, however, it seems there is a disconnect when it comes to knowing when to try something. Maybe his talent and skill is elite and his hockey IQ just average!

Habfan17

• BJ says:

At this point I’m starting to wonder if in this case exuberance and ego are synonymous.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi 17

PK is a superb talent.
          No one can ever take PK’s Norris away from him, yet it was a 48 games season, and not a full 82 game season.
          Last year he had great offensive stats for a Dman.
          Is it possible that the opposition is now better aware of his tendencies…both on offence AND defence?
          Do they know a little pressure will cause panic leading to giveaways?
          Can that be fixed/taught, or is it just a part of hockey IQ?

• BJ says:

If PK wants to challenge for any Norris type seasons again, he will have to adjust to adjustments made on him. Talent and intelligence should do the trick and he has both, having said that I hope the great equalizer ego does not trump his assets.

• Habfan17 says:

Good morning MR,

Good question! On the team 1200 in Ottawa yesterday the panel mentioned that they find that Karlsson has taken a step backward since he has won a Norris. maybe it is a maturity thing. They mentioned that his defence is actually worse than when he broke into the league and he takes more risks. It was also mentioned he gets a by since the risk/reward is mostly reward.

I do see that when he gets the puck, he is more efficient than PK. PK makes some great stretch passes and I would love to see him do more of that. He worries me when you watch him deep in his zone. He does this, hesitation thing where he waits for the fore checker to get close before he goes to get the puck. It drives me nuts, it is almost like he is taunting him.

That aggressive “bum first” check he pulls all the time needs to go to. It takes him out of position. It is fine once in a while, but just line them up and crunch them with a normal body check or simply separate them from the puck. It seems everything he does has to be high impact/high drama and he needs to understand that isn’t necessary!

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim. Good points regarding PK and coach T. PK’s play is more worrisome to me simply because he will (I hope) be a fixture within the organization for years to come. Coaches will come and go. Regarding the decision to sit him until the five minute advantage and during OT I can’t say that I disagree with.

• I hate that Galchenyuk gets minimal ice time.

One on One Desharnais vs Galchenyuk, and Galchenyuk would eat him alive.

Two on two, Galchenyuk, Eller vs Max and Desharnais, I put my money on the team 1.

GREAT WIN, POOR EXECUTION……Budaj made some great saves though, also made some backup saves. That’s to be expected when you don’t play much.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

57. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Huge win….and perhaps a Briere goal and some Shootout luck, from what most likely would have been another Therrien-Subban Time on Ice controversy.

First of all, Mr. Boone writes:
    “…Brandon Sutter shorty that was a direct consequence of Subban coughing the puck up at the Pittsburgh blueline and making hardly any effort to get back and correct his error.
    ————
    Perhaps a little misconception in the statement “hardly making an effort.”
    Was it a brain dead play?
    Of course it was, yet look at the sequence of minutes played by Subban just prior to the giveaway.
    Surely he had no gas left.

Can part of this be put on the coaches’ shoulders for overplaying Subban?
    Is playing Subban the full 2 minute PP shift a wise strategy especially after a long shift?

Subban Shift start 3:17. Shift end: 4:28. Duration 1:11.
    Subban Shift start 5:09. Shift end: 7:16. Duration 2:07 – short handed goal. ( Habs PP started at 5:38)

As for Subban being “nailed to the bench in OT”, that is slightly incorrect as Subban did have… one 30 second OT shift.

More noticeable, was the almost ZERO use of Subban in 5X5 play after the short handed goal given up.

Subban was benched from 7:16-12:48 mark of the 3rd period.
    That’s 5 :32 of 5X5 play and some PK time, that Subban did not see the ice.
    One has to wonder if he would have seen any time at all had it not been for the Major penalty called against Pittsburgh.

Subban played on the Major penalty PP, yet once that was over, he was again benched from 17:55 of the 3rd period and through the complete OT – with the exception of a short 30 second shift in OT.

In other words, a short 30 second shift in the last 7:05 of the game.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ronn. I thought MT was in control last night and his decision was not a typical MT breakdown unlike the conniption we witnessed in Philadelphia.

Good point on PK being gassed which I’m sure contributed to the play but PK needs to understand he’s gassed and make a safer play there. He knows it and will learn from it.

• Phil C says:

The coaches were definitely over playing him, but when you look at the make up of the current D, without Beaulieu in the line-up, they really do not have a second wave for the PP. The PP sequence with Emelin and Gorges was not very good. I am usually not a fan of playing a forward on point, but in this case they may have to consider it.

I’m not completely convinced that Therrien is punishing Subban, he was just trying to win the game and PK has not been very reliable in the last two games.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil
        Interesting you mention a forward on the point.

With all the firepower that Babcock had available to him at the Olympics, he chose to use Patrick Sharp on the PP point…and even sometimes in the latter part of the PP, which purists will say is not a good idea being caught with a forward on defense when the PP is over.

If that is a partial solution, who would you suggest?
        Last time that was tried, Plex was the guy, yet he was clearly out of his element.
        Galchenyuk? I don’t see anyone else even close to having the smarts, passing ability, and a shot.

• Phil C says:

Plekenac or Galchenyuk, maybe Briere. Even Bourque would have a big bomb. They don’t have a lot of great options, I’ll admit, but Gorges does not have any offense instincts so how worse could it be?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

MR…I think you feel PK was not at fault for the turn-over on the short handed goal. Don’t misunderstand me I really appreciate your posts and thoughtful information on here….one of few I read always. However if PK was gassed as you put forth then maybe it’s up to PK to play accordingly. He shouldn’t try and stick handle through opposing players if he is tired and for my part he does this far too often when he isn’t tired. His game is particularly bad recently. Checking his +- will support that over the past few weeks. His style of play likely has little to do with MT giving him a hard time however the results perhaps do. He has a job…MT has a job…..PK works for MT…he has to play to MT’s rules. If he doesn’t he is making a bad choice. Certainly PK has issues in the head if he can’t sort out his play……I bet even the most ambitious PK fan has cringes at times when he stick handles through the opposing team and gets over center ice and all the forwards are waiting on the blue line as he still twists and turns around players…this only one of his real faults.

Look I see him a super talented guy but he must lack some common sense or he would headman the puck and catch up on the play….he wouldn’t be cross checking opposing players over and over again and taking penalties at bad times….in saying that I think he has improved in that one aspect recently. I played hockey ( I wasn’t that good ) and experienced what we called puck hogs in those days and they were never popular. My experience is that no matter the profession we are all alike in cases where brash/flamboyant personalities are concerned. While you are appreciative of the talent you also have the inner thoughts……PK needs to play more of a team game in my mind to get the opportunities on the PK and OT situations.

Also for my thoughts on MT…I don’t like him as a coach for the Habs at all. That has to do with his personality or lack of it. I watched the 24 CH for a few episodes and didn’t like his brutally vulgar comments on some players…he comes over as a jerk big tme.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi habs fan

I did mention,
        ” Was it a brain dead play? Of course it was..”
        :-)

No doubt he is having some problems, and as you correctly state, they just didn’t happen yesterday.

One thing we all don’t know, and will never know, is how much the pre-Olympic pressure affected PK in the big picture – then the Olympic benching – then add to that, a contract year in the making.

58. Captain aHab says:

In LA right now for the March Break….despite the fact that after months without rain in LA, it chose to start falling again while we’re here, all I can say are 2 words: yoga pants. They are effing everywhere and, in most cases, appropriately so.

Glad to see things don’t change on HIO…team in 2nd place and everyone bitching about it. ;-0

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

59. habkin says:

Great idea having a coach like Haley. My Dad said years ago Montreal should hire Melody Davidson because “the guys would either break their b@lls for her or she would break their b@lls for not doing so.” lol

60. Lafleurguy says:

Babcock seems to garner more scoring from Europeans than Canadians. Habs above Red Wings in the standings.

Eller single-handedly elevates Desharnais’ status on HIO. Probably not in the real world.

P.K. still has some glaring rough edges.

Danny Briere comes through despite little to no support on HIO. There is a common theme showing up about a counter effect. 3 out of 4 points and a coach’s winning percentage keeps improving. Keep up the counter voodoo.

61. JUST ME says:

We played,we struggled,we won. Why all the drama (and the drama queens) ? Why make all that fuss around P.K.,Therrien,ice time of this guy, mistakes of that one,
    Next one Maple Leafs that`s it ,that`s all.

All i want to say about the game is that those should be the ones that bring the team closer cause many players had their…saved by another mate and as a team we managed to beat the mighty Pens. It was ugly we agree,let`s turn the page and move forward.

62. lakechamplain says:

First up, thanks Boonie for another spot-on assessment of the game; kinda rained on our parade, but you hit several nails on the head. Most of all your pieces don’t have the chorus called ‘It’s all Therrien’s fault’. Sure, I wish he’d do some things differently because the chemistry of this team right now seems off, BUT for all the naysayers on here who day in and day out offer little more than their sarcastic asides about him, it gets tiresome. And until some of the players on this team start earning their salaries–both present and future–mediocrity is something we better get used to.
    And are there any rabbits to pull out of the hat before the trade deadline? Seems unlikely. My hope is that our future scoring prospects, who seem a couple of years away from the bigs, aren’t offered up for a quick fix.
    Random thoughts: Tinordi is going to be OK; it’s his skating that most needs improving; that big bod gets twisted up too often but he’s working on it. How long is it going to be before Eller can do what a center needs to do to be effective: create territorial control in the offensive zone? Rene Bourque, can you put the biscuit in the basket?
    And PK, if you’re not already, your in serious danger of being known around the league as a head case; so much talent but so much of it squandered. We need you to be a better team player Mr. Subban. And for those of you who seem to live for your daily snide remarks about DD posted here, whom else besides Gallagher gives more bang for the buck? So Boonie, keep telling it like it is; I especially like it when you point out that the games when the fans have to pay premium prices we generally stink up the place.
    And finally, have many people given thought to how Cherry is going to distribute praise for Canada’s gold medal on Coaches Corner? I have a feeling Carey Price is at best going to get a grudging pat on the back but that’s about all we can expect.

• BJ says:

Good post. Agreed on DD, imagine this team without his offensive contribution. He also has made a lot of nice defensive play. Does OK with clever stick work if in addition to that he had size, he would have gone top 5 and be playing somewhere else. In my evaluation he is certainly not a problem many posters seem to point to. My two greatest concerns at this point are PK and Eller. Hopefully they can turn it around somehow as both are looking for new contracts and PK is not worth anywhere near 8 million (if thats an accurate number). At max 6.5 although he’s playing like 3-4 million now. As for Eller 3rd line center at best at this time.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Great post Lakechamplain……I think you are really hitting on the PK head-case thing. We as fans get all caught up in his fancy moves and great abilities on most occasions. I know many on here wish MT to get fired and mostly because he doesn’t play PK over everyone else and especially in penalty killing roles and OT. However he gives him too many reasons to do exactly that. PK takes penalties at really bad times, takes way too many chances, makes the forwards wait at the blue line while he tries to stick handle through opposing players many times losing the puck and creating flow the other way. Really he is a very exciting player but if the posters watch with care they will see he is a liability sometimes. I mean does anyone on here really think MT would not put him on if he was going to be a positive factor in the outcome. He wants to protect his job I think. Anyhow I am a fan of PK but man he does not see in his shortfall as a player…at least recently. He just is not playing well at all. I PVR most Habs games and watchthem a second time. PK is a mess right now.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Murray, whom I’ve generously disparaged since He arrived, I must admit I am beginning to appreciate

…wish He has more mobility and fleet of skate, BUT He certainly illustrates how much in the past We have suffered not having a huge brute intimidating and strong as an ox to make opposition crashing Our net think twice

…really hope Tinordi learns from Murray how to use His size with more menace and aggression

…having Murray, Tinordi and Beaulieu in Our defensive top-6 will allow Me to possess much more optimism of Our chances in the playoffs

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Hey HiS if he were more mobile he would b coveted by every team in the league. This guy is a bulldozer out there. A quick skater he is not. Watch him in front of the net…pay attention to his crease moving efforts. He may be the best in the NHL at clearing the crease.

64. rhino514 says:

I noticed that Briere produced points with 3 different lines.
    What´s the deal, why can´t the coach have a semblance of regular lines over 60 games in? It´s a wonder Briere has produced as much as he has given the way and small minutes he has been used. It seems he gets promoted if he scores playing with Parros and company, which is pretty much impossible to do.
    Has to be frustrating having a player like Briere who takes most of the season to get going, if in fact that´s what´s happening.
    If Gionta and Briere are playing well come playoff time, and they are giving some indication of this, it is a huuuge plus for the team going into the playoffs.
    The Eller disappearance needs to be solved though.

65. icky pop says:

I think subban is off his game, feeling snubbed over not playing in the Olympics. He is overthinking his game. This explains why his game has been off for some time now. Before he was trying to work his way into the top six. Now he is trying to prove that he should have been in the top six. Isn’t working out for him. I’m hoping that we won’t be seeing him in a habs jersey much longer. I like him, and if there was no cap, I’d want to keep him. However, he will ask for stupid amounts of money, since phaneuf got 7 mil. That kind of money could be really useful up front. I’m not gonna pretend to know trade value, but I would like to see a trade involving subban and eberle. Eberle has term, a good salary, and is just a good player to have up front. I’d love to see eberle with galchenyuk. Might not address the problem of size up front, but it would solve the problem of having some skill up front. Skill that MT would use anyways. Who am I kidding? He’s under 30. MT wouldn’t use him.

• BJ says:

I think we saw last night why PK was used in only game at the Olympics. High risk and with the little scoring that we managed, I think that answers why there were others above him on the totem pole. The other consideration is what is he really worth in compared to the top six ahead of him in Sotchi? Bergevin has some very tough decisions to make in his case. If he did trade Markov before the deadline he cannot even consider trading Subban. Hoping PK finds his game again.

66. Garbo says:

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight’s game which is more than I can say for most games I’ve seen this year (Olympics included).

Edit: Is Lars Eller done on this team. No hiding it, he has been terrible.

67. CH Marshall says:

What’s going on with PK? he and bossman don’t get along.. I’m sure Danny Briere is also not too fond of him either

68. Un Canadien errant says:

The worrisome aspect of P.K.’s play is that after his turnover that led to Brandon Sutter’s breakaway goal, he committed the same error during the five-minute powerplay. Again, he rushed the puck to the blue line, tried to stickhandle his way in, was stopped, and he came dangerously close to coughing up the puck with no one behind him to cover. We’ve all noticed how P.K. too often decides he’ll rush the puck, and leaves all his teammates flat-footed, at a standstill at the opposition blue line, instead of passing up the puck and having the team enter the zone with speed.

I’m sure this has been shown to him on video, in practices, but it hasn’t sunk in yet. He’s rambunctious and gets over-eager and in his excitement piddles on the rug. The coaches will have to be patient and keep working with him, as will the vets like Andrei, and remind him to not try to do it all himself, but to include his teammates. As Michel Bergeron often stated on l’Antichambre, a coach’s job is to tell the players what to do, then repeat it, and again the next day, and the day after that, …

We were all hoping that P.K. would return from Sochi relatively fresh and eager to prove that he should have had more icetime during the Olympics, but maybe his eagerness to do so is leading him into trouble. Or, maybe Scott in Montreal is right, and we can ascribe some of his scatter-brains to the long travel back from Russia and the jet lag. Either way, glad that we won the game so this incident won’t reach DefCon Red Alert for most sane observers.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• I know exactly what you mean, watching PK carry the puck to the blue line. First time (where he coughed-up the puck to Sutter), he was rushing to avoid the off-side and that was how come it became a mis-play, with Sutter seeing the opportunity to pick Subban’s pocket. The post-Olympics adjustment continues. I hate to see the lack of teamwork the Habs continue to display, and I wish they could bond as a unit as well as in the Martin days. I fear there are cliques running around right now. Gionta on the last year of his contract makes him a bit of a lame-duck captain. I hope Bergevin is aware of that, and has a plan.

• bustthebusters says:

8 million, 8 years, not sure about that lately. This has been going on for a month now. I love the guy but he is consistently getting caught out of position over anticipating an oncoming forward’s move resulting with one handed flailing stick checks, missed slides grabbing sticks and generally his ass facing the wrong way. Keep it simple with good gap and stay in front of the oncoming forward. Don’t overplay !!

69. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

“With Ryan White and Brandon Prust out of the lineup, the bottom six forwards were a grab bag that delivered neither scoring chances nor physical play.”
    I beg to differ. Parros and Moen were key on Brieres first goal, and played well for two periods, until MT stopped using them.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

70. I think Eller was being showcased for a possible trade. I can’t see much hockey smarts in him, but Fleury was so beatable tonight, maybe they thought Eller might impress a scout or two?

As for PK, back to back games on top of the jet-lag is probably all the explanation one should seek. Seems like the long season is taking a bit of the edge off his game this year. Hope Price is better soon.

71. Oilrook says:

Can’t understand the PK benching…..yes he didn’t have his best game. But when Erik Karlsson coughs one up do we see him get benched???? Never….MacLean knows he’s his best guy. Therrien has to go.

72. Rosieman says:

Can we all just agree MT has no clue? No one on this team is improving – no one.

A meritocracy only works on merit – he’s completely not doing that so all that can be left is confusion. Like a parent w shifting discipline etc.

Not playing Galych etc is a crime.

They’re still somehow scrape points but this will be unsuccessful long term

Woohoo

74. jacquesthemonkey says:

The Pens need Ryan Miller, then they would be scarey.

There could be a decent bidding war on Miller. Murray could also try and dangle Miller and Moulson as a package to any contending team that has a rich pool of prospects. Ott is another option.

Buffalo may just turn out to be the real phoenix in the NHL. They are the perfect example of how a team should go about a complete teardown. Kevin Lowe can only look on and weep.

76. DipsyDoodler says:

No contender could fit them both under their cap. They would need over $10M in deadline space.

77. Their salary is already paid for the season.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

Colorado could, but not sure they would be in the market for Miller.