About last night …

RaskChased

OK, so maybe they shouldn’t fire the coach and trade half the team at the deadline.
Ah, the joys of being a Canadiens fan:
All that history, all those Stanley Cup banners, all the opportunities to hop on and off a bandwagon that may or may not start on these cold Montreal mornings.
On this Friday morning, the bandwagon is rolling.
And it’s crowded.

It’s always satisfying to beat Boston, and your Montreal Canadiens are getting used to it.

The 4-1 win Thursday night made it five in a row over the Bruins, dating back to last season.

This had to be one of the sweetests Ws, owing to circumstances … in particular, the recent total suckitude of the Canadiens.

After Saturday’s embarrassing 5-0 loss to Washington, the consensus seemed to be the Canadiens couldn’t possibly play any worse.

And that seems to have been borne out.

Beating a tired Carolina team, playing its fifth game in seven days, offered less-than-convincing proof the Canadiens had turned the corner.

The big test was waiting at TD Garden.

And the Canadiens passed it, with flying bleu-blanc-rouge.

The adjective is important. taking flight has been the key to those consecutive wins because Boston, for all its virtues, is not a fast hockey team … especially after the Bruin with the burners was traded to Dallas.

Max Pacioretty and Daniel Brière scored goals by winning races against Boston defenders. And the Canadiens – led by Brendan Gallagher, who pursued the puck with relentless energy – had the Bruins pressured, flustered and on their heels for most of the game.

The gang on L’Antichambre highlighted the Canadiens’ team concept. watching the game on TV, you always saw five white jerseys in the picture frame in all three zones. As Michel Therrien said in his postgame media scrum, the Canadiens, right from the outset, pressured the puck and forced turnovers.

Boston had no odd-man rushes I can recall. Nor were there any of the wide-open looks opponents were enjoying during the Canadiens’ losing streak.

“The team wanted to play a good game for Peter,” Therrien said, which is what the wily ol’ coach doubtless had in mind when he named Budaj as his starter – two days after Carey Price posted a brilliant, 36-save shutout against Carolina.

Credit the coach we all fired last week with a set of brass ones. Had the backup goaltender stunk out the TD, Therrien would have been savaged  everywhere from Twitter to tavern tables.

The team rallied around Budaj, a good egg who is hugely popular in the room. And in so doing, they made their coach look like a … well, maybe “genius” is overstating it. But the embattled Therrien had a good night.

So did almost all his players:

• Nine names on the scoresheet.

• Brière had a goal and an assist in 7:39 of ice time.

• Douglas Murray played 16:26 and was really good – only three minutes less than P.K. Subban, who was fairly ordinary by his exalted standards. His ToI of 19:15 was the only sub-20:00 game of the season for P.K.

• Alexei Emelin had a goal, three SoG, four blocked shots and SIX hits to lead both teams. My man Arpon Basu, of nhl.com, tweeted “It’s remarkable how much better the #Habs are when Alexei Emelin plays well. He’s almost the difference between a good and a bad team.”

• Rene Bourque worked hard and had several scoring chances.

• George Parros was a deterrent to Bruins thuggery – Therrien had him out on a power play as the game wound down – and he screened Tuukka Rask effectively on the Emelin point shot that opened the scoring.

• David Desharnais played effectively in his own end, exemplified by the takeaway and quick up to Gallagher that culminated in Pacioretty’s goal.

• As has been the case since his recall, Nathan Beaulieu looked like an NHL defenceman.

And with the W in the bag, the Canadiens begin what shapes up as an advantageous schedule:

Beginning Saturday afternoon, they play four straight home games against Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver before traveling to Carolina just before the Olympic break.

I hope the shocks on the bandwagon can handle this load …

1. Say Ash says:

Our backup and healthy scratch are Olympians. Could be worse.

2. rhino514 says:

Question: When Galchenyuk and White come back: one of Briere or Bournival has to go. Who will it be?
    Bournival is more of a natural winger and brings more speed and energy. If Briere stays and the kid goes, Briere would be put on the wing again, where he basically he has sucked the energy out of the rest of the line playing wing.
    And yet why do i have tis feeling that it will be the kid who will go to the pressbox?

3. Habsrule1 says:

Great game last night. Given how optimistic I am, it may surprise you that I was not as confident as usual.

That being said, I was punishing the Habs during the last 2 games of their losing streak by not wearing my jersey. I decided that they (and all of us) had suffered enough on Tuesday and put it back on before that game, as well as last night’s.

Coincidence? I think we all know the answer to that.

Go Habs Go!!

4. Plekasuares says:

More Parenteau rumours. I do not want this guy at all. I’d prefer Bork to stay. He is an effective player when he brings the effort (“8&

5. scavanau says:

I like how after a good win we’re all friends again.

6. scavanau says:

Gionta raised both arms after his goal last night. Don Cherry will rip him for that.

His audacious flamboyance, how dare he?

7. Habilis says:

Anyone else find it kind of nuts that Diaz will have to travel to Sochi to get some ice time?

Clearly, he’s not in the organizational plans beyond this season. I’d love to see him moved before the deadline. For anything.

8. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m thinking the Habs should sign Murray to another 1 year deal?

• Habilis says:

Tinordi will be the Murray for next season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m aware of that. However, I still think they should sign Murray as a 7th guy. There’s always injuries. I believe Drewiske makes so little than can easily be sent down to Hamilton as well.

• bwoar says:

Of the cast of characters down the depth chart on D, he’s the guy I’d bring back, sure. Y’know what? Sign him before the Leafs do.

“thoroughbred”

• Habilis says:

He’d be the 8th guy if you include Pateryn as being ahead of him, which will be the case, IMO.

I just don’t see the need to waste a contract on him when we have better players ready to step up.

That being said, I wouldn’t be disappointed or anything if they did extend him. He is good at what he does.

• Habsrule1 says:

Considering Pateryn has not seen much action yet, I would doubt he will be on the team next season, even as a 7th D. I’d sign Murray for another year without hesitation. If Tinordi isn’t ready or can’t handle every game, Murray steps in.

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I doubt the Habs will bring Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu all up at the same time. I sense a trade.

• Mattyleg says:

Tinordi is struggling in the AHL this year, apparently.
        He won’t be ready for the NHL next year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RetroMikey says:

So Tinordi is not that Physical DMan we expected.
          Trevor Timmins, you have alot of explaining to do!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Marcusman says:

Tinordi isn;t a locked dude… he wasn;t very good last yr and not blowing anyone out in Hamilton this yr….Murray has done a solid job…he’s massive and pinches better than most of our dmen

• habs-fan-84 says:

You can never have enough depth on D.

Considering the cap goes to 71M next year (approx.) and also considering the relatively low price of Murray, it’s a no brainer IMO.

Murray will know the system, know his role and will come at a relatively cheap price tag. Sign him for one year.

• RetroMikey says:

Tinordi is not playing to expectations in Hamilton but I would let the kids play like him being called up with Blunden and Pateryn.
        If we want the kids to play, give them the chance and trade Markov, Gionta, Plekanec and others while their value as up.
        We aren’t going anywhere for seasons to come with the team.
        For once, I want Bergevin to admit this team is not going very far.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• frontenac1 says:

Definitely!1 year $1.5 a steal. Cube is done and Diaz is back in the Alps. Rotate Crankshaft with the kids on the farm.

• GrosBill says:

Post that on EOTP.

I thought they may cut him some slack this morning, nope.

• JUST ME says:

I agree. I think he brings his own dimension to the d-squad. I do not think that Tinordi is ready to graduate and Pateryn is not a sure thing either. Hopefully this will all be settled with Diaz ,Bouillon and ??? opening a few spots on the roster .

• BJ says:

I would absolutely sign him. We haven’t had a bulldozer back there since when? He does his job and a third pairing right away.

9. strunzo says:

I find it funny that during the Pittsburgh game, Orpik drove Gallagher from the circle to the boards and then roughed him up a bit. I think the thought that was Thornton. Yeah right. Last night, the Bruins roughed up everybody in front of the net before and after whistles, just like Marchand, Bartkowski, Chara etc…as long as it was Gallagher, Eller, etc.. but when Parros parked in front of the net, nobody touched him before or after the whistle. They should change the name to the Boston Bullies.

10. Balzac says:

Funny how people think that without MT Habs would be so much better… and at the same time they say that we don’t have the players to be cup contenders…

Tell me how much better would the habs be with another coach, ahead of Boston? Really? 1st in the Atlantic? Don’t be kidding…

So what? Ahead of TampaBay? Really? So with another coach we could be 4-5 pts better? 4-5 pts? And thats why we should fire the coach? Because we could have 2 more wins?

C’mon guys stop this…

• Propwash says:

Blaming the coach is the easy way out. There’s countless factors in why a team would lose a game.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Cal says:

When coach takes Eller, for example, and puts him on the wing for 4 games straight so Brière can play center and be ineffective, that’s on the coach.
        It’s questionable roster moves like that and the “chip and chase” style of game that doesn’t work with this team that I question.
        When you keep doing the same thing and it doesn’t work, but you keep doing it anyway, that’s on the coach.

11. Colombiahabs says:

When it comes to Murray… I remember when Hal Gill first came to montreal (N0-Skill Gill) everyone hated him, said he couldnt skate and was a useless pylon, well by the time he left people were ready to make him captain because he could do 2 things, block shots and kill penalties.
    People are finally starting to see what Murray was brought here to do. Thats why they are called “role players” they play small roles.. like Parros and Moen.

• La Duke 16 says:

I was at the game – and Murray was unbelievable last night. He handled Chara and Lucic in front of the net very easily!!

Lucic was trying to move him around and he couldn’t budge him..

• dr. gesundheit says:

Good to hear a “first hand” report like this. Makes it clear why those boneheads @ EOTP don’t seem to appreciate Murray being able to fill his (7th D) role admirably, especially of late. (they never attend games in person?)

12. Colombiahabs says:

If Beaulieu can solidify himself as the 6th defenseman this is gonna be a huge bonus for the habs. Kid can do everything Diaz can but hes twice the size of him. If he were to make the team and contribute the Habs would be pretty stocked with young talent by the time GAlchenyuck returns.

• Forum Dog says:

Beaulieu is looking really good. There are gonna be youthful mistakes on the defensive side of the pucks, but his skating, stickhandling, passing and general offensive awareness are very good. That and he has a good sized frame to grow into. Great to see another mobile, puck moving d-man with size back there.

13. rhino514 says:

I would love to believe last night´s game is representative of how Parros and Murray can play against a physical team in the playoffs. I really would. If it is, MB is a genius.
    But why does my head say for every good game they will have 3 or 4 bad games where they cost their team goals?

14. Ron says:

Prust not at practice today (flu). This is why his game was not at a higher level last night.

White is practicing and he is wearing a full contact jersey.

15. chemic says:

a win is a win – check
    a goaland a helper from that business signing called briere – check
    a goal from our slumping capitan – check
    very good game from the corsi /fenwick nightmare called douglas murray – check
    good game by the backup who should not start because….i really dont know – check
    nice efforts by PA Pare….i mean Rene Bourque – check
    probably a “tough night” for some of those allwise bloggers outthere – check

and last but not least a win against the Bruins – f***ing check!!!!

The Oilers continue to make big changes! MacT living up to his promises of big trades!

17. rhino514 says:

Hey guys, how many posts and disallowed goals for Bourque this season is that? I don´t get why people say he never shows any effort.

18. GrimJim says:

It might have been discussed alright but the Markov-Emelin pairing last night: was Emelin playing the left side and MArkov playing the right? or was it just situational when I saw them on those sides.

19. TMan1969 says:

I’ve just installed strobe lights in the bedroom. It makes the wife look
    like she’s moving during sex.

*****

The wife’s mad, and back on the warpath again. Last night she said she
    wanted to make a sex movie, and all I did was suggest we should hold
    auditions for her part.

*****

My sister-in-law sat on my glasses and broke them. It was my own fault.
    I should have taken them off.

*****

I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or “foreplay”
    as my wife likes to call it.

*****

After both suffering from depression for awhile, the wife and I were
    going to commit suicide yesterday. But a strange thing happened, once
    she killed herself, I started feeling a lot better. So I thought, ah, screw it,
    I’ll soldier on!

*****

I woke up hungry this morning and just felt that something was wrong.
    I got downstairs and found the wife face down on the kitchen floor, not
    breathing! I panicked. I didn’t know what to do. Then, fortunately, I
    remembered,,, McDonald’s serves breakfast until 11:30.

*****

The other night, my wife asked me how many women I’d slept with.
    I told her, “Only you. All the others kept me awake all night!”

*****

My wife packed my bags and said “GET OUT!!!” As I walked out the
    front door, she screamed, “I wish you a slow and painful death, you
    bastard!” “Oh,” I replied, “So now you want me to stay!”

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
    —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

…have a good weekend everyone. In the words of Price – last year “Chill…” As for, it was an awesome win but there’s 30 more games to complain about. :)

20. Forum Dog says:

Didn’t get too see much of the game last night (figures), but did catch the 2nd half of the third. Seemed like a foregone conclusion at that point though, so was tough to decipher what happened. Regardless, was happy to see them get another big win against a key division rival.

From what I did see, they were playing aggressive. I saw Pacioretty skating full speed and even hitting people. I saw Eller push back when he got roughed up by Bartkowsi. And I saw Emelin take a good run at Lucic and put him off the puck. Needless to say I was happy about that last one.

Not sure what changed in their approach, but they definitely looked energized. Presumably they recognized their indifferent play was gonna get guys moved or fired. Those two wins have definitely taken the pressure off, but I still see them moving a few pieces around between now and the deadline. If there is a market for Mark Fraser, there is certainly a market for some of the guys the Habs have.

Next up, Bolts and Jets. Two good young teams that are playing well. Hopefully they can keep it going…..

21. CH Marshall says:

Waking up super hungover in some hotel outside of Hudson… good to know Habs won. That is crucial to my well being the next few hours…

22. ClutchNGrab says:

Without being too cynical or too partisan, how do you determine if a lopsided win is due to one of the team playing bad or the other team playing really good? What are you looking for in a game?

I ask because I read Patrice Bergeron say that last night’s game was the Bruins worst game of the year, while Mike Boon said “P.K. and Brandon Prust had off nights, but everyone else in a white jersey shone in Boston.”

That question came up as well after the two conferences following up the fight between Bute and Pascal, where the former claimed he was really bad while the latter said he fought in a way that made Bute looked bad

• Cal says:

Motivation can be hard to come by after 3 wins and scoring 6 goals at a time. So, yes, the Gooins didn’t play great, but the Habs made them look like they were skating in wet cement.

23. Plekasuares says:

Ya Prust Kinda sucked. The other players were excellent though each and everyone of them.

• Luke says:

I wasn’t too impressed with Eller last night… but not everyone is going to be great every night.

I’ve pooped on the guy quite a bit, So I’d like to give a shout-out to Parros. I think he’s played well enough the last few games.

24. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I flipped the channel at the wrong time last night. Can someone describe Marchand’s roughing penalty for me, or point me to some video. I haven’t been able to find it. Turned it back just in time to see that PP goal.

25. jimmy shaker says:

Great game by the boys, nice to see boods get a game and play well and get the W……keep it going on the weekend please!

Shaker out!

26. Mattyleg says:

Boone: “Credit the coach we all fired last week…”

Who’s this ‘we’, paleface?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

yah I noticed that too.

I refer back to my invention of the term “Everysome”

Everysome of us fired the coach last week.

• Matty god bless you you’re his only fan :)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• theflukester says:

I still believe the coach has to go. He stinks. A lucky game to me doesn’t equate to coaching well done. Let’s face it, Boston was off their game on many levels including the physical/dirty aspect and Rask was not on his game.

It’s humorous to me how people can turn the page so quickly. I guess that’s why our fav team hasn’t done anything in 20 years. Easy to please fans are easy to come by.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• Luke says:

a lucky game?

Are all the wins “Lucky Games” and all the losses “true indicators”?

It’s interesting that you think we ‘turn the page’ so quickly. I see it more as not freaking out about a guy who wins almost 60% of the games he coaches.

• theflukester says:

Well I strongly feel we could have won more if it wasn’t for his bonehead moves.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• Luke says:

These boneheaded moves of his seem to be successful. More successful than the boneheaded moves of most of the other coaches working in the NHL.

• Mattyleg says:

Hi Flukester!
        Glad to see that you joined us here at HI/O yesterday. Welcome!

The coach has been lucky 57 times since he started with the Habs again this time round, I guess. I don’t mind being around someone who is that lucky, to be honest!

And I have to say that easy to please fans are very hard to come by on this site!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Come on Leggo, we all know Mr. Ed could have put those lines together yesterday.

Funny thing, I still am not a Pro MT guy, and no doubt last week I would have completely understood why.

I don’t think the team has necessarily turned the corner completely and all will be great, but clearly the guys in the room still care about the crest and obviously the coach hasn’t completely lost the room.

Team needs help over the off season, and coach will be re-evaluated at that time. So for now I will continue to support the coach, as I support the team.

BUt these wild “Fire the Coach, he is an idiot, my mother knows more” posts are frustrating.

• theflukester says:

Thanks for the welcome. I won’t be a frequent poster but days I do get the urge to speak up I do. Thus why I registered. Talking in my head after reading people’s posts is not the same thing as actually posting.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m going to repeat this. MT 2.0 has a record of:
      57-34-10

Anyone hoping for a coaching change (with that kind of record) better be prepared to wait a long time.

I’ve repeated this a few times in the past 12 hours. Some people may be sick of seeing it, but no more than I was/am sick of seeing the nonsensical posts of the past week.

Cheers Matty.

• rljmartin says:

Bruins may have done all a favor last night. MT tinkered with Pleks line and the puck ended up in the Habs’ net. No more tinkering was done after that, thank goodness…..

• JUST ME says:

Do not be surprized if MT signs another deal with the team in the off season.

• 44har48 says:

Yeah, don’t put me in the group…I wasn’t even close to the edge yet. When this team gets the talent I feel it needs either through trades, FA, or development, then I will be critical of the coach.

I enjoy watching them, I am hopeful and optimistic of our future, but lets be serious here, MT doesn’t score goals or clear in front of Price and somebody has to on a nightly basis to win.

27. krob1000 says:

Vancouver now without Centre Santorelli for season…big blow to them. Bieksa also out short term….possible trading partner?

28. bwoar says:

A tip of the hat to Habilis, who came out and said that he was wrong about last night. Sorry if others have that I haven’t seen. Good on ya, chief!

Loved Parros last night. Why where the Bruins quite (esp. Lucic?) Parros and Murray. To those who don’t think these lumbering guys belong, there’s one right in your teeth. I think Parros was surprised by Briere’s pass because he was expecting it to go back to the point. Makes terrific sense: Danny B distributes to the D-men, who have the green light to shoot, while the mammoths go to the net. Voila, useful 4th line. And so many said it couldn’t be done.

Another thing about quieting the Bruins? Scoring first. Makes them change their plans. All except idiot Marchand, whose penalty turned the game around. Wish someone hadda tuned him up at 4-1, but I can see why no one wanted it to devolve that that point.

I know there’s some concern over Eller here and there, but he’s doing just what he does – playing hard-nosed 3rd line minutes. I don’t mind if the points are coming – he’s useful when he’s not scoring. Just needs to stay outta the box!

Gosh darn in a sock, this is a nice Friday.

EDIT: Sure looks like Emelin’s mojo is tucked in Parros’ stache.

“thoroughbred”

29. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS

1. Would you rather this team makes the playoffs even if they seem likely not to go far? Or that they go on another slide and trade a couple of veterans before the deadline?
    2. Is Briere better as a 2nd/3rd line winger or a 4th line centre?
    3. Who is more likely NOT to finish the season as a Hab: Markov, Moen, Diaz? Is this the trade you want?
    4. The Bruins offer to trade Marchand for Bourque. Do you do it?
    5. And the toughest question… last night 5 white sweaters moved as a unit. What makes a team go from what we saw last week – to that?

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

1. Both, make playoffs but trade out 1 – 2 UFA contracts if possible
      2. 2nd/3rd line winger, but room must be made, a Gionta would have to be moved first.
      3. Diaz – Yes
      4. Only after radical surgery is performed making Marchand unrecognizable.
      5. Million Dollar Question – The resident physician did offer the flu going around as a reason. Lost Mojo/Momentum could be another. When a team loses confidence it has a large affect, just as once it is regained the changes are so noticeable.

• Habs_Norway says:

1) Trade
      2) Yes
      3) Diaz, yes.
      4) No
      5) Playing against the booins and with their backup goalie

Can i win something? :)

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• bwoar says:

1. I think both are doable, playoffs and housecleaning.
      2. 4th line centre. Every now and again I’d put him out there in DD’s spot if I got a favorable matchup.
      3. Diaz, or course, for good reason.
      4. Today, tomorrow and every day there after. Holding my nose.
      5. Coaching & player commitment.

“thoroughbred”

• shiram says:

1. Some trades can be made, but they’ll make the playoffs also.
      I think they can go 2 rounds.
      2. Winger… best place would be 3rd line C, but it’s not possible with the glur of centers we have.
      3. Diaz, sure.
      4. Heh yes… and flip him for more value somewhere else right after?
      5. A player meeting it seems.

• Blondie says:

1. Make the playoffs – I don’t like slides.
      2. Briere, *sigh*, trade him please. 4th line center until Whitey gets back. Then maybe a winger if there’s room, otherwise hot dogs.
      3. Diaz. Yes.
      4. In a heartbeat.
      5. Professional embarrassment.

• Cal says:

1. Playoffs + moving UFAs Diaz and Gionta.
      2. 4th line center with 2nd wave PP time.
      3. Diaz and Gionta.
      4. Yes. Then, I trade him to Vancouver to play with the Sedins.
      5. The players are holding each other accountable.

• JUST ME says:

1-They were not expected to go far anyway but hope they make the playoffs and trade a few veterans. Who in their right mind would find another slide a good thing . By the way another slide gave a 6-6-1 in January.
      2- deserves what he gets.
      3- Diaz obviously but if we can trade him will not be for much unless we can package him.
      4-anytime
      5-no clue at all. Puzzles me. How can you go from hero to zero and back is beyond me. Probably way too many games to keep focused…

• rhino514 says:

1) Make the playoffs. Always make the playoffs.
      2) Briere should play centre, even on the fourth line, or not play at all except in case of injuries.
      3) Diaz. obsolete with Beaulieu
      4) Great question!…..Tough! but for me, class counts. Marchand is the better player but i don´t think he deserves to wear the CH.
      5) Don´t know. Never seen the team so unpredictable as this year. I´d love to know the answer.

30. Strummer says:

Anyone else read this morning that Brodeur is willing to waive his no trade as would rather be a starter?

Teams mentioned included St. Louis and the Habs where he wouldn’t mind taking a back seat to Price to to play for the team he idolized growing up.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Not a great night for many of the leagues top goalies last night.

Rask gets pulled, Quick got pulled for Kings and Bishop left game after getting hit in the head.

Colorado extends Varlomov contract.

Pierre LeBrun ✔ @Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Varlamov extension: 5 years, $29.5 million. An AAV of $5.9 M a year

Yikes, Ovechkin was a -5 last night in a Columbus 5-2 win over Washington last night.

34. Habs_Norway says:

Whats up with White ?
    Thought i read last week that he would be ready “by the end of the week”, which was last weekend.
    And rumors about Subban for Parenteau ?
    I know they legalized the good smoke in Colorado, but to they hand it out to the reporters aswell?

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Cal says:

MT said last week that White was “weeks away.”

• Chrisadiens says:

Subban for Parenteau?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Habs_Norway says:

Yes that was my reaction too. Even though it might be Parenteau plus a first round pick. but still.
        high altitude and buds make bad combo apparently.
        @CAL, aha thanks, maybe it was my eyes that read “week away” and i assumed he would return the following weekend.
        But weekES away, ai ai ai. I like the energy he brings. Always 100%. like a mad dog. Bark. Better than Bork.

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• habs-fan-84 says:

Parenteau + a first round pick still wouldn’t do it…unless your Réjean Houle.

• Habs_Norway says:

Agree, ask me, i choose Subban for captain.
            Gally and Prust with the A.
            Heck, if Ryan W would play regularly i would give him the A istead of Gally.
            We should have signed Evgeny Artyukhin before he went to the KHL. Thats a beast.

______________________________________
            Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Cal says:

White will provide a late season spark if he’s well healed.

35. RAM_TOUGH says:

WTF does this mean?

“The team wanted to play a good game for Peter,” Therrien said

Guts-Glory-Ram

36. Strummer says:

Will the real Montreal Canadiens please stand up.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

37. Sportfan says:

So two things Bergeron said it was their worst game of the season, really, a bit over dramatic much?

Also Brad Marchand is really stupid two penalties equal two pp goals, if MT was his coach he’d be in the press box lol, oh he’s also stupid and a loser.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

38. Blondie says:

I want to give some props to Parros for his game last night too. Instrumental screen on Emelins goal (I thought the replay showed the puck deflecting off his stick before it went in actually), digging pucks out of the corners and along the wall, and giving some of the Bruins pause from time to time.

He even had a good chance in front but seemed so surprised to receive a pass from Briere there that he didn’t do anything with it.

39. Wrote a nice little piece on who could have used a nice easy win last night vs a top team in the NHL but she went poof, oh well. Great game, beating the Bruins is always fun even though I had to listen to it on XM212. The Bruins pbp wreaked the Bruins performance with proper play by play, trashing them every chance they got (unlike NESN) Loved it and made my 3.5hr drive to Regina a nice one.

Hey Mr Bergevin, you know who needs scoring and is a bubble team? The Los Angeles Kings are a bubble team who need help scoring. Gionta and Desharnais have upside now, and are not of the Stanley Cup master plan. Make something happen. We need help in size and scoring, and they are ripe for the picking.

#1 on the bench vs the greatest rivalry in hockey, nice player management there Coach, there aren’t enough words to describe how I feel about you. You’re a genius :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

40. SmartDog says:

I had one MAJOR disappointment from last night.

Why doesn’t Prust beat the snot out of Marchand after he blatantly shoves Gallagher into the post. They’re about the same size, everyone saw what he did – even the B’s would know that Marchand deserved it, and Parros is there to back him up. To me, it’s not just wrong but also not SMART to let Marchand escape without retribution. I know we scored on the PP but that’s not the point. The point is to make Marchand feel pain so he thinks before doing it again.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Maybe they had word from the coach not to escalate things.
      Would make sense to me, even with Parros and Murray, the Bruins can still overpower the Habs.
      Bruins also thrive on the rough stuff, no sense giving them that edge.
      But yeah dick move from Marchand.
      I think Gally skating away smiling must have pissed them off more than trying to punch them.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It bugged me as well but Montreal scored on the PP right after! And lets face it, we’re a bit tougher now but I don’t think Habs wanted to turn the game into a slug fest and get the Bruins all jacked up.

Spoke to a Leaf buddy of mine and he said the exact same thing. He said you have to use the regular season as the time to send those messages. Marchand indeed needs to be “corrected” after a play like that.

• mdp2011 says:

“I know we scored on the PP but that’s not the point” Actually that is the point. If Prust would’ve jumped Marchand, he would’ve nullified the powerplay or worse, given the Bruins a powerplay. The score was 2-1 for the Habs and it was a turning point in the game. They essentially put the game out of reach with that powerplay goal. That was more important than beating the snot out of Marchand.

• Prust is a bonafide tough guy — he can’t fight Marchand. I know you’ve got to put the code aside sometimes, but this wasn’t serious enough to be one of those times IMO.

On the other hand, I bet Gallagher could have given him a run for his money all on his own — Marchand has just 1 inch and 7 pounds on him, believe it or not. And Gallagher is a feisty one.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• monmick says:

Agreed. If anyone goes after Marchand, it would have to be someone like Gally, Bournival, PK, Beaulieu… Someone who can fight, but is not a bonafide fighter…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Because instead of us getting a power play (and a goal), Prust would have gotten a 5 min, they might have scored and we might have lost the game.

Losing the game over a shove is not smart.

Also, Prust would not have hurt Marchand one bit.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the habs will eventually have to put someone with some toughness out there with Gallagher as this type of things will take a toll on him cause it is every game

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• There was also another moment in the first where Chara wrapped his stinky ape like arms around one of our guys and no one touched him, not even a whisper. But hey Therrien didn’t want the team sticking up for themselves and it worked.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

Hab’s should be back on top in their conference when I get back!!
    No more snow for us, were out of here. Next week we are going to watch the Olympics on the beech in the Caribbean for a few weeks! We have a house sitter and I showed her how to work my shovel.!

42. Marcusman says:

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avalanche’s P.A. Parenteau was a healthy scratch for the second straight game. He has two more years left at $4 million per. Rumors that the Canadiens may be willing to trade P.K. Subban for Parenteau, prospect(s) and draft picks. Coach Patrick Roy said that Parenteau is not in the doghouse, he just doesn’t want to break up the top lines and that Parenteau doesn’t fit a fourth line role.

THEY MUST BE HIGH IN COLORADO TO THINK WE’D TRADE #76

43. scotland says:

so brieer now still has has hands, vision and hockey sense……… so how come he is invisible every night. aand he was last night too untill he got a break away.

• shiram says:

Tough to make much of an impression as an offensive player, playing under 8 minutes with 4th line plugs.
      But he managed to do it, and credit should be given for it.
      Considering the difficulties this team has in scoring, and the little TOI given him, he’s done ok.

• Marc10 says:

He’s on the fourth line. I’d agree with Pierre McGuire that if he’s going to be useful at this stage of his career, that place would be on the man advantage where there’s a bit more space.

44. shiram says:

Budaj is 19-12-7 since signing with the Habs.
    Considering the revolving door of ordinary backups the team had since Halak left, I think he’s one of the key acquisition The Goat made.

45. We do have some of the makings of a pretty good team here — we don’t need an overhaul, just some improvements over time. Something along the lines of:

– Bourque and Diaz for a winger who’s a little better than Bourque.
    – Gionta, Leblanc and a 2nd for a winger who’s better (and bigger) than Gionta.
    – Markov and a 1st for a younger version of Markov.

These sorts of trades aren’t necessarily homeruns, but they’re feasible and relatively safe — and I’d much rather go for continual incremental long-term improvement than swinging for the fences with an all-or-nothing deal for a star.

46. habs-fan-84 says:

Like I said in the Game blog last night:
    We are to Boston, what Toronto is to us.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Montreal does not get up to play the Leafs. The Leafs on the other hand are always ready to play us. I feel the same way about the Senators. I’d take a playoff matchup against Rask and the Bruins anytime over Ottawa or Toronto.

47. Luke says:

“One good win, doesn’t a season make…”

As I read through the older posts this or something similar, is mentioned a fair bit.

Well, these folks are correct. One win doesn’t make a season.

But does 29? And… How come one loss can make a season? But I digress…

So last night’s win was splendid… to be honest, I think we are starting to see the decline of the Bruins a bit.

Chara has certainly slowed down. Lucic isn’t as tempermental as he had been. They’ve lost Horton who was a bit of thorn. While they’ve still got some jam, their key players up front seem to be getting older or ‘softer’. That Smith kid is impressive, but he’s not scary and by no means is he big. Krecji and Bergeron aren’t scary. Eriksson isn’t scary. Iginla isn’t scary… and he’s slow. Marchand is just starting to look like a decent scoring jackass. He’s lost a lot of that support he had and he’s backing off his clown role. Paille and Campbell are fourth liners. They are Moens. And there’s Thronton who was ignored into a non-factor last night.
    Their Defense has been beaten up pretty badly, and timed with Chara’s decline (you could see it was coming last season) but they are getting slower and smaller back there as well. (Krug is 5’9!!).

Anyways, I’m just saying I think that the reign of the Bully Bruins is coming to an end.

• Blondie says:

Paille may be a Moen but he’s a blazing fast Moen. Also, don’t sell their GM short either, he’s done a pretty good job keeping that team stocked. I wouldn’t be surprised if they remain contenders for years to come.

• Luke says:

Oh, I’m not. He’s a very good GM.

While I think trading Seguin was dumb. (Yay Habs! a PPG centre is gone from thje EAST!) I think the return was quite good.
        He knew enough to let the Leafs decide which goalie to give them in return for Raycroft.

You’ll notice I was more about the decline of the Bully aspect as opposed to the competitiveness. Though I think they are dipping out of that dominant position they had a lock on for 3 or 4 years.

• Blondie says:

I did notice that you were talking more about the bully aspect but I don’t think Chiarelli’s going to let that slide either. It’s part of the teams identity and he has to cultivate that as well.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“One good win, doesn’t a season make”
      Is it just me or does that statement seem grammatically incorrect. I see it all the time, but I don’t know why. I would think this makes more sense:

One good win, doesn’t make a season

anyways I digress.

Our record with MT 2.0 is now:
      57-34-10

That record says more about the team than a 4 game losing streak (yes I know we haven’t played great since the beginning of December).

• Luke says:

I think it’s an olde thymie English thing.

(edit): Perhaps Greek… huh… go figure. From our Friends at Wikipedia.

From a remark by Aristotle (384 BCE – 322 BCE): “One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.”

1.One instance of an event (such as the arrival of a single bird) does not necessarily indicate a trend.

• athanor says:

The “doesn’t a season make” is literary licence. What is wrong with the sentence is the comma after “win”. It’s like saying: habs-fan-84, wrote a comment.

• habs-fan-84 says:

And now I know, thanks Luke and athanor. It’s always bothered me, but at least now I understand.

• Marc10 says:

It helps when our guys are going full tilt at them and not shying away. Guys like Bourque and Eller are hard to contain when they start to forecheck, cycle and crash the net. Add to that the physical presence of an in-form Yemmy, Big George of the Stash, Cranshaft the Giant Killer and you’ve got yourself a team that can get in the Bruins’ face.

• scotland says:

obviously you dont watch them much. they played a poor game last night. were scoring six a night for three or four game prior to habs game. habs played well but the bruins and pens are still the beasts of the east.

play offs is where it counts.

• Luke says:

Looking at the bigger picture here scotland. Not at last night’s game specifically. But y’know… since you know my veiwing habits so well… meh whatever… you obviously missed my point which I think i supported well enough by looking at the types of players they have lost and added.

• Cal says:

Do you piss on parades much?
        We aren’t so stupid around here to think that the team is suddenly a contender. Of course the playoffs is when it counts, but you have to get there, first.

• Luke says:

*eyeroll*

Go re-read that. I think you missed the point…

• gmur says:

I agree about the Bruins’ decline… and it wasn’t just the lack-lustre effort they provided in their own barn. I was watching the names of the players and they just aren’t players who are willing to bleed for the Bruins. Remove a couple of key players like Andrew Ference and Nathan Horton (who were thorns in the Canadiens’ side) and replace them with Loui Erickson and Torey Krug… well, you get the point.

Anyways, last night is just one game, but the Canadiens have beaten the Bruins 5 straight now… yee-haw.

48. shiram says:

A while after the win last night, I went over to a Bruins board to see how they felt about the game.
    Keeping in mind it was only one loss after quite a streak from them, they show the same “sky is falling mentality” most on here have showed in the last few weeks.

Bad lines, bad use on the ice, bad toi for players, emotion less players going through the motions, they especially questioned Rask’s performance against the Habs.
    They were saying all the players should have been pumped and rearing to go….

But this is hockey and upsets are part of the game, that’s why they play the games! That’s why the Oilers can shut out a powerful Sharks team.

Love that Budaj seems to have the Bruins number and that Rask just cannot win against us.

49. MikeHabs says:

Last night was fun to watch for the most part, still had some issues in the defensive zone but Budaj was there to shut the door. He was only beaten on a deflection. If Montreal can snag 4 points this weekend, great, if they can get 3 then I am good with it, 2 at the very least is needed. Cant drop both games here.

Prospect update: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-jan-20-26/

50. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good things always happen when you drive to the net & are willing to pay the price like our monster Brendan Gallagher. Coaching staff need to emphasize that point always.

51. Thomas Le Fan says:

Yeah I watched the Boston feed on Center Ice and they had as much trouble with Beaulieu as Foster Hewitt used to have with Cournoyer. Boiler is a good nickname though.
    Anyway, nice win but it doesn’t get MT out of my doghouse. It makes me wonder why he can’t have this team compete (not necessarily win) like that every game. Like the Leafs always get it up for us, we always seem to have a little extra when playing the Bruins. Funny. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke says:

I’ll re-ask this question of yours:

Anyway, nice win. It makes me wonder why this team can’t compete (not necessarily win) like that every game?

If Therrien gets blamed for the team sleep walking and playing uninspired, he gets full credit for Gallagher being an unstoppable buzzsaw. right? fair is fair etc…

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The coach’s job IS preparation and one game doesn’t change my mind, in fact, it reinforces my thoughts that Therrien DOES NOT prepare his teams well over the long run. It seems to me that this team gets up and down depending on opponents and it is Therrien’s role to get them up for EVERY game. Unlike many other detractors, I think this is a pretty good team that doesn’t play up to their abilities on a regular basis. I don’t expect them to win every game but I do expect them to PLAY every game like they MEAN it.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke says:

Perhaps the issue here is: I don’t give coaches much credit.

Aside from keeping things organized (who jumps on the ice next) I don’t think they do much during a game. Or, maybe it’s better said that I don’t what they do during the game has as much of an impact as “we” believe. Perhaps that why I’m not all “Fire Therrien!” We’ll just fire the next guy too…

Gallagher works like a beast regardless of pat on the butt or an F-bomb laced tirade. The coach has nothing to do with that. Just like how the coach could do nothing about AK46 of AK27 floating.

The coach can have the best plan and greatest speech (like the one from that netflix movie) but the players play. If they don’t give the effort… that’s the player’s fault.

52. commandant says:

Just a great, great game all around last night.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

53. Blondie says:

Where’s Timo? I miss his sunny optimism and relentless good cheer. (Not like that Matty guy)

54. CJ says:

An effective PP is the greatest deterrent against teams like the Bruins. It’s nice to click so quickly. Didn’t even give Julien the chance to contact Campbell to request an injunction.

Briere has been much better this week. I still think White is our fourth line centre. I wonder if we could swing Briere for something of value? I can’t see Briere as our fourth line centre going forward.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Briere’s value will become more evident come playoff time.

• Marc10 says:

True dat.the call to Daddy Campbell came too late.

Danny B still has the hands. I could see him slowly creep his way onto the PP is some of the regulars have an off night or when we get an abundance of man advantage. That breakaway top shelf was a beaute.

• shiram says:

Not only hands, but his vision and hockey sense are still there.

• Marc10 says:

Yes. Putting him with Parros on the fourth line does him no favours, but the team comes first. Still, you’d want to use those smarts and those wrists on the PP.

• shiram says:

I thought they way the played on the O-zone must have been a set-up play, the way they had Moen/Parros battling in front of the net, with Brière behind gave our D lotsa space, and when Brière found Emelin with a crisp pass, well the rest is in the books!

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I agree, certainly for the regular season. The problem is the playoffs when the refs decide to “let them play”. Then teams like the Bruins can beat up and get away with it. The challenge for the Habs is playing disciplined hockey and let the refs give you PPs during the season. Then in the playoffs, having the players to sustain the rough stuff if the refs decide to take a vacation.

55. jimmy shaker says:

here’s what i got when chucky is back. (when is he coming back?)

briere/pleks/gio
    chucky/eller/bourque
    patch/dd/gally
    bornival/prust/moen

bournival and briere switching once in a while

white and parros scratched

marky/emelin
    subban/gorges
    murray and whoever MT wants to use….I don’t mind any of the D he can choose from

frankie, diaz, whiskey, beaulieu any will do for me.

Shaker out!

• Cal says:

A little after the Olympics. Broken hands take at least 6 weeks to heal. Could be longer until he gets his excellent hands back.

• CJ says:

I like the lines. From the comfort of my couch Briere is much better at centre. I haven’t been to a game this month, but I’m looking forward to seeing him live for a better assessment.

I like Eller and Prust on the third line. Adding a Jamie McGinn would really give us something. If we can’t swing a deal, I’d go with Chucky. Gives us a third line capable of playing a 200ft game.

Bournival has earned his spot with Pleks and Gionta. Of the three, I think Gionta would be the odd man out. I’d like to see Thomas there just to assess what we have.

Murray and Beaulieu are a nice yang and ying pairing.

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

Most fans have been a bit harsh when it comes to Daniel Briere. The guy is a proven player in this league. Not his fault that our coaching staff don’t know how to coach.

• CJ says:

Good morning bud. Problem, as I see it, is Briere is much better at centre. It’s a matter of finding him ice. Eller, Pleks and DD are all slotted in ahead of him.

He still has value and could either help bring something back via trade, or will serve as depth, insurance against an injury, going forward.

• RetroMikey says:

I disagree with you.
      Briere is a very good player when he wants to play.
      He is near retirement as other players like Gionta who are past their prime.
      Players like this will not bust their cojones during regular season what Therrien or any coach you have coaching the Habs.
      They are hoping to step it up come playoff time.
      I don’t play them one bit.
      I would do the same, take the money, float during the regular season and hope I can perform some majic come playoff time.
      You can’t teach old dogs new tricks.
      Don’t blame the coach for the team’s demise.
      They need dynamite up their a** to get their mojo going.
      A coach can only do so much.
      Julien and Carbonneau along with Martin will agree with Julien finding his groove working with good players who play hard game in and out.
      Except last night’s game :) but they will rebound.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

57. jo_maka says:

I remember I was coming back from a roadtrip in the Great Lakes 3 years ago. I stopped in an Arby’s in Sault-Ste-Marie when the draft happened, so it was the very first time I watched it exclusively in english.

And aaaaaaaaaaaaall the commentators messed the kid’s name up: Boolia, Baliou, Beulieh….

Well, if Nate keeps going like he did the last couple of games, it won’t be too long before everybody learns how to say his name. He’s green, but good. Better than broccoli.

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”