About last night …

TherrienScream

Did someone forget to tell the players this was an Optimum game?
Ten of the 41 regular-season games your Montreal Canadiens play at the Bell Centre are classified as Optimum.
That means fans pay a premium for their tickets.
A ticket in the Platinum section, down near ice level, costs $253 for a regular game.
The price rises to $418 for an Optimum game.
Way up in the Greys, at the top of the Bell Centre, tickets for a regular game are $51, rising to $85 for Optimum.
That’s a lot of money – especially to watch a Canadiens team whose effort was less than optimal.

The fans in the “cheap” seats stuck it out until the siren sounded on the Canadiens’ 5-0 loss to Washington.

Down in the lower bowl , Red seats – $338 for Optimum, $205 for a regular game – began to empty halfway through the third period.

In his postgame press conference, Michel Therrien indicated his team would not spend much time studying video of their miserable performance.

“That’s a DVD you throw in the garbage,” the coach said. Every team plays bad games, Therrien added.

“What’s important is how you react to adversity.”

Fans reacted by either deserting the Bell Centre or showering the home team with boos, catcalls and sarcastic applause for shots on goal – of which the Canadiens managed NINE through 40 minutes and 21 on the game.

Do the math: The swells in Platinum seats paid $20 for each shot they saw. It was cheaper in the Greys: $4 a shot … and $13 a beer, but I digress.

What a disgraceful performance by the home team.

I’ll repeat a few stats from the Live Blog post:

The Canadiens didn’t record a shot on Braden Holtby until the game was seven minutes old. They had three in the first period, to 12 for Washington. During the second period, the visitors scored four goals and chased Carey Price to the bench before Daniel Brière recorded the first of six Canadiens’ shots.

Shot totals are an indicator, but they don’t convey the full extent of Washington’s domination. As has been the case with a succession of opponents during the Canadiens’ recent swoon, the Capitals cleared the puck from their end, cruised through the neutral zone, gained the Canadiens’ blueline with ease and tossed the puck around the attacking area like the Harlem Globetrotters on skates, setting up wide-open, high-percentage shots they sent whizzing toward Carey Price.

Pittsburgh inflicted similar carnage en route to a 5-1 win on Wednesday. Detroit, minus Pavel Datsyuk, beat the Canadiens easily on Friday night.

But this was the worst.

Riding a seven-game losing streak into the Bell Centre, Washington embarrassed the Canadiens in front of fans who hadn’t seen their team in 11 days and were paying a premium to watch Alexander Ovechkin’s only regular-season visit to Montreal.

In my game blog, I suggested there were only two possible explanations for how poorly the Canadiens had played.

They are either a very bad hockey team that will vie with Buffalo, Edmonton and Calgary for the top draft choice in June.

Or they’ve quit on Therrien.

At the risk of having a significant proportion of the Commentariat descend on my humble suburban townhouse with torches and pitchforks, I find myself tending toward the first explanation.

In contemplating life after MT, ask youself these questions:

• Would a new coach make Brian Gionta five years younger?

• Would he give Andrei Markov new knees?

• Could he transform Daniel Brière into an adequate even-strength player?

• Would a change behind the bench transform Josh Gorges into a legitimate Top 4 defenceman? Or change Douglas Murray and Francis Bouillon into viable Top 6’s?

• Would the new coach have the surgical skill to make David Desharnais four inches taller? Could he transplant Brendan Gallagher’s heart into Rene Bourque and his gonads onto Max Pacioretty?

Don’t get me wrong.

I’m no fan of Michel Therrien. I think he’s a poor in-game tactician who relies too much on veterans and has done little to speed the development of Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk.

At least Nathan Beaulieu is getting a decent shot. But that’s because the D is in such disarray Pavel Valentenko would get a decent shot.

This team is not a Cup contender. But are the Canadiens as bad as they’ve looked … well, pretty much since the November winning streak?

That’s what Marc Bergevin, possibly in consultation with Geoff Molson, will be asking himself  on Sunday.

Fearless prediction: Despite rumblings in the city that are reaching a crescendo, I don’t think Therrien is about to be fired.

But if Kirk Muller’s Carolina Hurricanes inflict another home-ice thumping on the Canadiens Tuesday night …

•  •  •

Let the gallows humour begin:

What floats even when the water beneath is frozen solid?

The Montreal Canadiens.

1. Cape Breton says:

Way too much advertising on this site. Garbage constantly popping up that I can’t delete along with audio ads I cannot find to shut the f*** up.

2. John Q Public says:

Ok a few things I will say and then fade away.
    24ch, nobody likes cameras around them all the time.
    When you make a speech saying “it’s just one game”, how can you expect them to play hard after that.
    The word F*** has it’s place but when you f***kin drop it f*** every f***kin second word f*** it lose it’s f***kin meaning.
    You f***kin get what I am f***kin saying.
    F*** me, we suck !!!!!

• Mike Boone says:

I totally agree. Therrien’s profligate dropping of f-bombs is not going to impress many players … least of all the smart college guys like Pacioretty.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• Eddie says:

Last night one of the RDS boys suggested that sending Emelin to they press box might have turned Markov against Therrien.

My son was at an event last year attended by Markov and Emelin, apparently they are good friends.

I have never seen Markov play this badly and it started right after the Hawks game when he scored both goals.

• Cal says:

Patches is smart all right. Play hard for 10 games, take 20 off. Play hard for 10 games, take 20 off. Repeat ad nauseum.
        The Davey and Patches show has to end. Since that line’s been together with Gally, the Habs have been losing consistently, just like when Cole was patrolling the right wing. This team shouldn’t be a bottom feeder, but they are playing like they are.

The show is an infomercial for Bell, I would prefer it be over. Having said that, it does expose MT.

3. Cape Breton says:

Those that pay the kind of dough demanded to watch such crap are out of their effin minds. Heck, even if the team was decent, to shell out $200, $300 and $400 a seat is pure insanity.

• Kooch7800 says:

Especially when in certain markets they are playing a small fraction of the price to watch actual elite teams. When I was 4 rows from the ice seeing the ducks for 100 a ticket it actually pissed me off more than anything. They have a great team and cheap tickets.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• nickster13 says:

Ridiculous coin. We’re being taken advantage of. We should become a non-profit like the Green Bay Packers.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• BJ says:

Not so long ago that was a months rent……

• CJ says:

Those folks who are paying $400 a seat are nowhere near the level of frustration that many on this forum share. People who can afford these season tickets have many other interests outside of hockey. These are professional people who own businesses, firms, or are executives. Hockey for them would only be a distraction.

I had a pair of season tickets in Club Desjardins B, section 206 row C for five years. Some people who sat in this section were more interested in chatting, then watching the game.

Maybe it’s unfair of me to lump all these folks into the same mold, as there are certainly diehards who sit in these seats, however, I’ve been jaded with too many first hand experiences.

• Eddie says:

Molson’s closest friends are also sitting there.

He and his buddies are die hard hockey fans and they bleed Bleu, Blanc Rouge.

Molson is feeling the heat.

• CJ says:

I’m sure he is. I’m also sure that this is testing his resolve. The next six weeks will be telling. The next six months will shape the future of this franchise under Bergevin’s guidance.

• Cal says:

You can’t assume that the wealthy that show up at the games and own season tickets aren’t major fans. They are paying serious coin to be entertained.

• CJ says:

I acknowledged that in my post. I personally know some very, very wealthy people who are diehards. My post wasn’t meant to cast a line in the sand based on where people sit, it was intended to share some first hand information based on my experiences in the Club Desardins section. Again, this is a very small sample.

4. Eddie says:

I really like the way Louis Leblanc has found his game. He is playing with a great intensity, drive, and commitment.

Those are the same qualities I like in Bournival as well.

We add those two pieces going forward

• Kooch7800 says:

He is great along the boards

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

Leblanc and Bournival have both played well. Both have earned a place on this team, based solely on their play and not the names on their back or the round they were drafted in. I’m glad to see that both have seized the opportunity. I only wish they both got more ice time.

• Eddie says:

Yes. Give them more ice time. They have earned it. I enjoy watching them play, it’s entertaining.

• CJ says:

Agreed. The only thing I’d add is let them play their natural positions, even if it’s at the expense of a veteran. The veteran is not going to be around in 1-2 years, while Bournival and Leblanc will be. I want Eller at centre. Give him Galley and Prust for now. This line worked last year. When Chucky comes back, restore the kid line. Get Bournival with Pleks and Gio. My two cents.

5. BJ says:

If there was a coaching replacement who would be an adequate choice. The choice is someone currently avalaible.
    A) French speaking coach
    B) English speaking coach

6. Richard B says:

I miss bob gainy

7. monmick says:

Rumour that MT was crying in Gionta’s arms after the game last night. Don’t know whether it’s true…

8. Maritime Ronn says:

As mentioned last week, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see this is a very unhappy team – the body language on the bench says it all.

That mentioned, if anyone was really looking – and not being fooled by some lucky wins and early season success before opposing coaches got a hold of the videos, it was apparent over a month ago.

DECEMBER 23, 2013 AT 12:12 PM
    …even with the very good record to date, there seems to be something wrong – a certain stress/level of frustration that can easily be seen in the body language and faces of guys like Subban-Eller-Prust-Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Bournival, and others…including Max with his sword celebration…
    —————–
    Why has that transpired and getting worse?
    We can only speculate, yet here are some suggestions.

Leadership void:
    – A Lame Duck Captain that knows he will not be here next year, and the rest of the guys in the room know that also.
    – A Lame Duck Assistant Captain in Markov.
    – Another assistant Captain that has become a 4-5 one dimensional Dman singing the same dressing room tunes.

Please point out 1 other NHL team – where its supposed leadership group wearing the “C” and “As” is in a similar state of turmoil?
    The guys in the room aren’t giving this group the time of day…

Coaching: Team First
    – While he preaches “Team First”, it’s really all about HIM.

Tipping point: You never, ever, ever berate and embarrass your BEST player on the ice and in public, for ALL the hockey world to see.
    You do that 1 on 1 in private.
    The idiotic callout(s), and coach imposed 10 minute misconduct towards Subban 18 days ago has been the turning point.

Since that time in Philly, Subban is Minus -11 in 8 games and has only 2 points. The team is 2-6-0. No coincidence there.

– Total Unfairness of playing time, linemates and obvious Favoritism:

Remember the fun, excitement, and looking forward to games when the EGG line was going?
    When Bournival was lighting it up with Plex and Gio?
    When PK and Marky were being considered as one of the best Dman pairings in the NHL?

Then along came the ” Me and Davey” issue, and with the exception of a few games, the team has gone downhill since then.

Anyone that has ever played the game knows what it’s like when a team is put in turmoil because the coach’s favourites play big, unnearned minutes and preferred PP time…to the detriment of the team.
    Simply put, sooner or later, you lose the room.

• DAVE. N says:

Much more eloquently put than I could have said. +99

• BJ says:

Good post, nothing to argue there.

• PrimeTime says:

Really? How about the use of hyperbole to suit own conclusions and agenda.

********************************************************
        “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• Captain aHab says:

Thank you. The dismantling of something good to try to make DD and Brière look good is where issues started. This smacks of the coach trying to make his boss’ signings look good. DD is one-dimensional and Brière is done.

I maintain that reason the EGG line was never put back together is for it not to potentially show up DD again. If you don’t believe it, then get me a better explanation for dismantling a young line that was one of the league’s best.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• TMan1969 says:

I don’t have rosy colored glasses on – the Canadiens are in a psychological mire. The confidence they had is shattered and it is easy to point out the issues…their play, the lack of drive and positional play is out the window. The biggest issue is TEAM play – there is none…sure the coach is kind of the glue…like the Sargent Major or Chief..but truly, no matter what, the team – together – drive the ship…that’s what they have to work out.

I say patience, will win out and teams go through ruts – if they’re professional they’ll work through…but the sky isn’t falling only a large meteors..

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
      —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

• Mike Boone says:

Brilliant, Ronn.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

9. JohnBellyful says:

This just in:

Therrien fired … up about next game, against the Hurricanes.
    “I got some new systems I can hardly wait to try out,” said the embattled coach.

10. nickster13 says:

Are tickets that expensive now? Good god, hockey is a business, and our players are collecting paychecks.

But seriously, that is robbery. The whole premium game thing is a farce too to make more money.

Lower ticket prices and remove the premium games thing! If you don’t, I ain’t going to the games!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• Maritime Ronn says:

It’s far from robbery.
      People/companies have a CHOICE to buy, or not to buy tickets.
      It’s all about supply and demand.
      The prices will never decrease so long as the Bell Centre is full.
      You may decide not to buy – and that is your choice, yet something tells me there are thousands that will willingly take your place.

• nickster13 says:

Because we’re suckers!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• Mavid says:

100% correct..Its so hard to get tickets that when they come up you jump on them..lots of people in line waiting to get their hands on them…maybe not in the case of Montreal..yet..if you don’t fill those seats and you lose money (Sens) your team could be gone to Vegas..then you have nothing..not sure thats what people really want. Its a business..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

11. munch17 says:

I just came back from a walk on the mountain with my dog.
    It is -21 with winds of 22km per hour.
    Stings.
    Not nearly as painful as last nights game and much more enjoyable.

12. --Habs-- says:

Awful! Even during the 10 game win streak it was awful wins! All I can say is dump some veterans for draft choices, sink to the bottom as far and as fast as you can and retool. Leave MT in place for the debacle and replace him with a coach that can relate to young kids at the end of season!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

13. slimjim111 says:

I dont think a new coach can do anything that would be a whole lot different… The ingredients just arent there.

MB needs to makes some trades and shake things up, because I really dont see this team having any steam at the end of March… Sad that we are all glad there is an Olympic break. Which really doesnt make a whole lot of sense considering the amount of Habs players going to the Games…

• Captain aHab says:

“Trade Bourque, Briere, Prust and maybe Diaz for some guys who are big, fast and you know can deliver upfront.”

Again, why do people keep saying this? You won’t get talent from that group of stiffs. Pleks or less likely Markov might do it.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• CJ says:

I love Prust and I’d hate to lose him, but I honestly wonder what he has left. It would seem as though he has broken every bone in his body. I wonder sometimes if he is playing with two separated shoulders. Guy is a lion and will go to battle with anyone, but, not unlike Ryan Clowe or David Clarkson, these guys have lots of miles on them. As I’ve said, I sincerely hope Crisp, Nevins, McCarron and/or Fournier can take that next step. I’ve given up on Steve Qualier. We need more guys who can work the trenches. Amazing as it sounds, this team really misses Ryan White.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would keep prust. He gives it his all every shift. We need more of that and hope it is contagious

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

To be clear, I’m not in favour of trading him. I’m simply suggesting that this type of player breaks down quicker. If anything, I’d be scouting the entire CHL in hopes of finding someone who can fill this role in 2-3 years. I love this type of player and hope we can introduce 2-3 more into our development system.

• monmick says:

Agreed. And and gives you respect for Chris Neil and the long career he has had in Ottawa (scored his 100th goal this week). But to be fair, I feel his body is breaking down as well and is no longer as effective as he used to be…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• CJ says:

Good point regarding Neil. I watched him fight BJ Combreem this week. Neil would normally destroy this guy, yet the fight was a draw, if not an edge for Crombeen. Neil’s play has dropped significantly, however he has given that franchise everything for more then 10 years. I couldn’t stand Neil, but in his prime, he was exactly what this team now needs.

14. jrshabs1 says:

What are our french brothers saying about the disaster that is the Habs? Are they satisfied with their french coach and GM? Are they planning any protests? I haven’t heard one thing from our french brothers regarding the suckatude on the ice. I guess what I’m saying, do the french only care about the Habs when one of their own isn’t at the helm? Poor Cunny, run out of town, and his team didn’t suck as bad as this one. Where’s G. Molson’s open letter to the fans, explaining the error in coach and GM? Are there any Anglo guys who speak french in Quebec who can coach? No Sam Pollocks or Scotty Bowmans out there? The french only rule has killed our Habs.

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

• Captain aHab says:

I’m a franco and I want the best available coach and GM…language be damned. I think if the current MB/MT combo doesn’t turn the ship around, the Habs might rethink the french only angle. MIGHT.

The reason I say this is that even french media like RDS are criticizing french players and even MT now.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

15. CJ says:

I hate losing. I really do. Getting blown out makes it even worse. The Leafs and Sens losing last night was small consolation. Feelings aside, this could be the best thing for the franchise going forward. If the team falls out of the playoff picture, it opens the door for change.

I would be disappointed if Bergevin starts handing out extensions. Use this opportunity to excelerate a building process with a focus on getting younger and bigger.

• CJ says:

Failed to note, along the way if we could manage to beat the Bruins, Leafs and Sens I can save some face. Misery loves company.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree CJ. Losing May be the best long term. if they go on at are it doesn’t force mb to make any significant change. We know there shouldn’t be any rental players now. Time to move out the vets and change it up. If we are going to lose do it with our youth. At least they will have some life

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

Agreed. It’s tough to find positives over these past three games, but Beaulieu and Leblanc have both earned a place on this team. Bournival busts his butt on every shift. I’d love to see more youth, following the Olympic break.

16. jon514 says:

I for one don’t think firing the coach makes sense. As upsetting as it is to realize, the style of hockey MT WANTS to play… does win championships. But the players he has to work with do not fit his mold.

We play a very similar style to the St. Louis Blues. What’s the difference between us and them? More size. Better balance of talent.

If he lost the room and it’s irreversible, sure replace him, but the guy you replace him with is STILL going to have a problem making headway in the playoffs with this core group.

• DAVE. N says:

You don’t use a thoroughbred as a plow horse, and vice versa. Therrien may THINK he has a winning formula, but he doesn’t; and he DOES have the players to compete, but they didn’t. These are pro sports players, and they don’t believe in their coach or his system, proven or not. All it takes is watching the way they looked at the bench; disinterested, aloof. AND I’m NOT talking about the players only. The coaches looked lost, and if they don’t have the answers, find some that do. When coaches use players out of position, bench positives, keep playing negatives you’ll never get the room back. It is irreversible; Losing the confidence of your team is not going to be retrieved like a misplaced set of car keys. He was hired by a rookie GM who wanted an experienced coach. Wrong guy for the players under contract. The organization blew it.

• Phillyhabsfan says:

Disagree that MT’s system wins championships. Look at all the recent winners (Penguins, Bruins, Kings, Blackhawks). They all dominate possession and shooting 5-5. This team concedes possession, spends all their time in their own zone, tries to block a million shots and win through a power play and a great goalie. That is not what wins championships these days.

Oh an the other thing they all have is a dominant #1 center (Crosby, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews) that leads the charge with possession. I love Plekanec, but he is a great #2 center, and DD is at best a 3rd line center. Our #1 stud center is out with injury and they play him on the wing anyway. That drives me nuts. Galchenyuk is the future let him play where he needs to play. If I were Bergevin I would tell Therrien to play Alex and Lars at center and if he won’t I’d trade every other option he has until he does.

17. GL says:

No one is gonna be successful with this team. Bunch of under achievers. Fire therrien if they want the next guy will only be good for a few games than back to square one. once a loser always a loser. Gotta have players who come to play every game like PK, Gallaghar and Price That’s the core of this team the rest pretty much Bums…

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree they need some major roster changes. Mt though is not playing the right system for his roster. He is also not using players correcctly

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

What of load of crap. This team won the Northeast Divison last season and played well in October. After that Therrien completely lost the plot. Just like he did before in Montreal and later in Pittsburgh. Why is that too hard to see?

• Kooch7800 says:

Did you happen to miss that it was a shortened season and watch the last 20 games and playoffs? If it was a full season last year do you honestly think we would have been first? I personally don’t. I think we may have even missed the playoffs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It was a shortened season, so what? Being one point better than the Bruins after 48 games still isn´t shabby.

The playoffs? Yawn. Eller went down in game one and right before that he was probably our best forward. Gionta wasn´t fit and missed some games, Pacioretty too (missed only one game but…) . Price didn´t look fit either and Anderson played the best hockey of his career…

• Kooch7800 says:

We are playing the same way now that we did last year when the slide started and this team has been healthier this year than in recent years.
            We have an elite goalie, stud dman but too much dead weight. if it were not be for price we would be below 500. Mt is a problem but we Ned some major roster changes.

If you don’t agree that is fine. I just don’t see us as a contender at this point

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

18. habfan01 says:

Maybe Briere needs to step up to the mike and say “Therrien est incompetent”. It worked once before in getting a coach fired.

19. JF says:

That was absolutely the worst game I’ve ever see the Habs play. The only other one in fairly recent memory that even comes close is the 6-0 loss to the Leafs early last season. Not only was the defence an even worse mess than usual, but there was not the smallest semblance of an attack. No nice passing plays, no purposeful puck movement, no systematic pressure, no structure. The five players on the ice were not a team at all, simply five completely uninterested individuals.

The Antichambre crew called the game “difficile,” an adjective that is far from doing justice to the degree of suckitude on the ice. Only Marc Denis said it was “inacceptable.” I would call it execrable, disgraceful, disgusting, sickening.

And grounds for firing the coach. Whether he’s lost the room or not, he failed to have the team prepared to play their first home game in eleven days, on a Saturday night when the fans were ponying up far more than usual to watch.

Unfortunately, I don’t think firing the coach would change much. His successor, be it Guy Boucher, Benoit Groulx, Marc Crawford or anyone else, would quickly become mired in the same problems – a vertically challenged group of forwards, a popgun offence, a defence many of whose members are playing over their heads. Within two weeks he’d be juggling his lines as frantically as ever Therrien, JM or Guy Carbonneau did, and the HIO Commentariat would be all over him.

My guess is Bergevin will ride out the season with Therrien unless we see a repetition of last night’s mess, but there’ll be a change in the off-season. I’m just hoping, as I wrote at length yesterday, that the Habs miss the playoffs and Bergevn sells off impending free agents and some of the veterans at the deadline.

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

By all means lets rack up another loss slip even further in the standings and then think about. Don’t rush. I will be lucky to see a playoff series win before my retirement. My cat could coach the Habs. Cheeses Priced!

Till next time….

20. HankHardball says:

We have a GM whose history is about 100 games in the NHL. And a coach who has a .546 NHL winning percentage.

And the main candidate to replace him is a coach whose regular season winning percentage is also .546 and has only coached about 200 games at the NHL level.

Maybe what the Habs need is for the Dicks to come back so we can stop being Quebec’s team. They do it much better than we do.

21. Kooch7800 says:

I actually hope we don’t make the playoffs. That will hit Molson in the pocket book and force them to make some tough decisions on our older vets. Last season MB failed with his acquisitions. This summer will be critical for MB. If he resigns Diaz and pays Markov top dollar for a multi year deal we will be in a similar situation next year. They need to add some scoring up front and we will have to overpay via free agency and Subban will be getting big money. Let the kids come up and play. If Markov can be signed for under 5 mill a season I would do it but he wouldn’t be getting the ice time he is now.

We need to give away some vets at the deadline for picks. It is better than nothing.

• smiler2729 says:

I’m all for dumping the vets and letting the youth play their way into a solid team. Yeah, there’s bumps but at least we, as fans, would expect them.

I have no time for watching the same old guys get the same old results, thanks for coming Gio, Pleks, Moen, Bouillon, Markov, Murray, Diaz, Bourque… see ya

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would keep plex but the rest could go. I am sure a cup contender would take gio.

Keep your kids and add around them.

Why did I know we were in trouble when we signed Briere. Reminded me of when we traded. For kabrele

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

22. smiler2729 says:

Michel Therrien?

I didn’t like the hiring but mostly cuz he was already fired here once but I was willing to give him leeway.

I don’t really know what goes on in his mind behind the bench or at practices nor do I really know what the players feel and think about themselves or him so I can’t say whether he should be re-fired or not.

All’s I see as a fan is a team that stinks but looks better than adequate “on paper”.

The real bothersome issue with the Montreal Canadiens is continuing bullpucky that is the kow towing to the French media: WHY DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE A FRENCH COACH AND WHY NOT JUST HIRE THE BEST COACH FOR THE JOB???

The fans in either language don’t care so why appease the Rejean Tremblays of the world??? I’m so sick of this shit.

I’m finding myself cheering more and more for the Columbus Blue Jackets (my wife’s team) than the circus that is the “storied” Montreal Canadiens.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

23. They drained anything I had left for them.

OK off to ringette, at least she won’t let me down.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

24. adamkennelly says:

not to say I told you so but I told you so.

called the curb stomping by Pit – then called loses in the next two games.

I knew it was going to happen because I used my eyes and brain to realize that this team is not very good on the ice and is not competing.

25. Jim Edson says:

Sr Boone
    MT is responsible for the fatigue and overuse of Markov
    MT is responsible for overuse of his pal Bouillon
    MT is responsible for putting his players in untenable situations by his “system”
    MT is responsible for a chip and chase system wearing down his small forwards over time
    MT did choose assistants who appear clueless in solving PP and Defense issues
    MT is responsible for game management gaffs occurring too frequently game in and out!
    MT is responsible for creating and instituting systems which compliment the players he has been given or has personally chosen!
    MT has to share responsibility for Bergevin’s questionable signings and extensions!
    MT as headcoach is responsible for managing the players and his chosen coaches in all aspects!

MT ISN’T DOING ANYTHING WELL AT THE MOMENT AND HASN’T FOR QUITE AWHILE!
    ———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

26. boonie says:

We’re done. We may make the playoffs, but this team is done.

According to the people who select NHLers and others to represent their countries at the Olympics, our best players include: Price, Subban, Max, Yem, Diaz, Plecs and Markov. They all suck right now.

If our best ain’t playing, is it surprising that we are getting thumped most nights.

Price gets yanked for the second time in our recent stretch of games too painful to watch on PVR.

PK decides to take retaliation to a whole ‘nother level. If someone bumps him, PK will chase the guy all over the ice (oddly, without penalty) until he takes himself out of a play and gives up a scoring chance.

Markov – notwithstanding a two game night not long ago – lets guys fly by him as he mans the offensive point at least a couple of times a game. Thankfully, Prust started a fight to minimize a scoring chance.

Diaz at playing. Yem — well. ahhh, yeah. that injury thing just ain’t right. Is Max playing? I know scorers are streaky, but that hot spur to get chosen seemed a little too well timed. He should do what Semen did and sign one year deals. He could make a killing.

Plecs shouldn’t be on the bad guy list. He’s hustling and making things happen. Can’t do much with the tiny, no bicep man on one side and Eller (as an HIO person put recently, a great athlete who happens to play hockey, a center who doesn’t realize he has wingers) on the other. I suppose that’s why Plecky scores on shorthanded breakaways. He hates his wingers.

Birds gotta fly. Fish gotta swim. Things gotta change.

• JUST ME says:

Yeah but… that`s what everybody has been saying all along ! We may make the playoffs, but this team is done !

I grant you that at least we looked like we could hold the pace some games and even take command but now …Heard Gionta`s comments after the game and you could hear it in his voice. The rock bottom thing…
      I just cannot help but hear in my head the T.A.P.S. hymn and try to understand what ,how and why ?

I just feel like we are looking at pieces of a puzzle that don`t belong in the same box that`s all.

27. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. I had both the fortune to be able to attend last nights event AND the misfortune to witness perhaps the most dreadful performance by this team this season. It was dreadful.

From these eyes it sure looked like a team who has quit on their coach. Midway through the 2nd period I looked over at the bench and MT wasn’t even watching the play. He was just starring off at the other end of the ice. In the third he was doing the same so I took some photo’s. Fans and players looking right at the action as MT is looking to his left. Telling?

I’ll start with two of our more important players and a theory, Markov and Emelin. It almost appeared to me that these two players were playing at half speed. They looked to be avoiding contact at any cost. There was a significant lack of intensity to their game.

Look, its hard to signal out individual players in such a debacle. Most players contributed to the mess last night. But it got my conspiracy blood thinking. Given #8’s recent scratches with a “lower body” injury along with our two Russan players lack of intensity is it possible that the Russian Olympic Team has directed their stars to avoid injury at all cost? Could that be the explanation for their seemingly lack of hustle? Hmmmm.

I have many more observations but its a pain to type on my phone. I’ll wait until I get home to elaborate.

A final thought. My oldest grandson Tommy turned to Chrisadiens and I as the final siren sounded and said, “Even when the game stinks we still have a great time on this trip.”. From the mouth of a smart 13 year old to the ears of a forgetful Grandfather. Priceless.

CHeers.

28. scavanau says:

3 comments about last night –

1. Unbelievable.
    2. My friend bought those “premium” tickets for him and his wife. I feel bad for him.
    3. Douglas Murray was faster than Daniel Briere. And worked harder.

29. jrshabs1 says:

To bad Timo is away on a cruise. I miss his 100% accurate assesment of our Montreal Canadiens. Timo had this team figured out in October. Good for Timo!

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

30. Maritime Ronn says:

It appears that the present Habs coach was calling upon his inner “Churchillian” spirit during the post game stating, ” It is during adversity that we build character.”

Perhaps if good ole Winston was alive today, he may have repeated one of his own famous quotes:
    “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly”.

31. Psycho29 says:

WOW…Glad I didn’t go to that one…
    A co-worker won an evening in the Journal de Montreal Loge at the Bell….and he doesn’t like hockey. So he offered the seats to a bunch of us.
    It was my girlfriend’s birthday supper last night so I turned down the free food and drink and excellent hockey (ok, 2 out of 3)…
    We put the game on when we got home, and it was 3-0, then Caps scored to make it 4-0. We switched to the DVR to watch Walking Dead. Kind of ironic.

BTW it worked out ok for my buddy who won the loge. Each person gave him $60, so he made a cool $1000

32. Roger Ramjet says:

Pitiful.

• stevei says:

I still can’t get over the missed opportunity of signing Jagr (who wanted to play for Montreal) for half the price of what they pay brittle Briere (who rejected the Habs 7 years ago). Jagr would of ccomplemented Plecanec well.
      Briere: 14pts
      Jagr : 42pts

33. Habfan17 says:

I was hoping to read here or on TSN this morning, that Therrien had been fired.

What a mess. The players are like lost sheep! Markov again had players blow by him. I don’t know if his knees are acting up, but all he had to do was lean on to a player coming down the boards and he let him fly right by!!

If the players aren’t trying to send a message and get Therrien fired, then they must be completely disheartened with his system!

Therrien says throw away the video,hmmmmm, why not a bag skate? Therrien has tried the days off, baseball on ice! How about an honest to goodness practice!

Habfan17

• Captain aHab says:

Markov is playing too many minutes and is out of gas.

Therrien hasn’t tried bowling yet.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Habfan17 says:

That is true! Still, he does not look good. Since after Markov and Subban, the rest are third pairing defencemen, it is hard to spread the ice time. Maybe he should try broomball!

I have it! Therrien should out on the pads and let the players shoot at him!!

Habfan17

34. RH says:

Hope someone empties the garbage can soon because the DVD’s are starting to pile up.

35. Captain aHab says:

Tank vs no tank

To me this is the incorrect discussion. The correct one is about asset management. Gainey was absolutely horrible at it – never trade a potential rental to another team, just keep losing UFAs for nothing, trade away McDonough, blow all your dough on small guys, etc….Gauthier wasn’t much better.

Now it’s MB’s turn. Ask yourselves this: after seeing this team, are you really confident we’ll see a deep playoff run while Markov and Pleks are still good? Markov is likely already no more than a second pairing D in terms of the minutes he can play consistently. Pleks is absolutely great but for how long still? To me, they are the two guys who could fetch something on the market. Heck they could trade Markov and re-sign him next year if they really wanted to; Markov could get a shot at a Cup.

People say well we can’t trade Pleks as he’s far too valuable. Well the idea is to get value back. Of course if we send him and get a Gomez back then it’s a stupid deal but that’s where I’ll be evaluating MB.

I get the concept of patience but if we have a very similar team again next year, then we’ll know that either MB can’t manage assets or that Molson is telling him to be just competitive enough to make some playoff money.

Things I will be looking for in preparation for next year:

1) NOT having Moen or Prust types on offensive lines, EVER. I am sick and tired of this. Put some kids with some offensive talent there. We have them. Bournival was playing well and then had one off game and has been relegated since. Hell the EGG line was one of the top ones in the league early before Therrien inexplicably dismantled it.

2) Markov gone or at most on a second pairing

3) Gorges gone or on a third pairing at most. He is playing far too many minutes for his level of ability

4) Gionta gone and replaced with someone with size who can hit and maybe score a little.

5) Galchenyuk and Eller as centers. Put DD on the wing (he can’t be a checking center; yes they would need free agency potentially to cover that with Pleks gone – get a guy who can cover and take a faceoff – no need for him to be a top scorer) and if he can’t cut it there, send him down and see if anyone picks him up on waivers

6) Trade Pleks, in a package if need be, for a young winger with size and skill.

People keep saying keep Pleks and trade DD, Bourque and Brière…..folks, no one wants them or if they do we’ll get nothing in return.

So if I see progress as shown above, then I’ll be happy.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

36. CH Marshall says:

I’m literally having a case of deja vu circa PG firing

37. Bash says:

I am a long time die hard fan of the bleu blanc rouge. But last night I did not watch the game. Nor can I bring myself to watch my recorded version. This from a guy who plans life around Habs games.

The trade talk was happening when we were winning a few games. The holes in this lineup have been glaring since day one.

The Therrien trashing has been a constant and for good reason: weird line combos, suspect “benchings”, apparent favouritism, strangling younger players etc.

Now that the goose has been in the oven for a while it’s simply more apparent than ever.

I don’t give a flying frenchman fcuk about our record as long as the players have passion and management has a plan. Right now we have neither of those.

Trade the dead weight! (for little or nothing if necessary)

Play the kids!

Goodbye MT!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

38. habbytent says:

sigh, time to go into true lurker mode, not get excited or interested before games, check the ALN after, decide if i want to read the game blog from there, then decide if i want to watch the game, lowest profile fan i know how to be, compensation techniques.

39. kerrgte says:

I’m in Florida for 8 weeks this winter. This has helped me get thru the angst of this, the 21st season after the 1993 cup win.

Sunshine is my Dog.

MB inherited a lot of bad management decisions. Nothing on the farm and a load of hand-cuffing contracts from previous mismanagement. BUT he’s also made a lot of stinkers too. Briere instead of Jar, Parrots, no-points Prust, etc. I think Murray and Drewiske were just hole fillers. Now he’s cornered with no aging veteran of value to trade.

With a bit of luck, MB will go for it and have a garage sale to make way for a potentially good 2015-16 season. Markov, Gorges, Bourque, Gionta, Moen, Prost – maybe a legitimate contender could find value in one of these guys and give up a pick in return. Throw in the invisible LeBlanc for free.

MT is just the guy in the middle with the unenviable task of making a winning team out of mediocre talent. He should start playing Diaz as Diaz will at least put in a bit of effort.

It will make an interesting case study to see how this once proud franchise climbs out of the muck.

Today in St Augustine is forecast to be 63F and cloudy. I’m glad I’m here rather than Barrie or Ottawa.

Cheers tout le monde.
    george k

40. DAVE. N says:

This coach has lost the room. There is no doubt in my mind. As suspect as MT’s coaching decisions are, he is a professional coach and he still cannot motivate this team into playing any semblance of a 5 man unit, something that Amateurs understand is needed. Gallant and Daigneault aren’t the answer; There is no plan there. When you look at the camera shots of the bench, there is no talking; not even eye contact.
    IMO, this team needs two moves immediately. Replace the coach and possibly his staff, then a major trade to wake up the room. At this point, I’m not even certain it matters who you trade.These last 15 games prove it. This is not a team that can compete for a Cup. Too small up front, too small to effectively backcheck, open neutral zone where no one pays the price when they enter your zone, healthy scratch your “shooter” and “hard hitting Defenseman”…..OHL and QMHA players are showing better skill. Heartbreaking to watch this from my favorite team.
    New depths of suckitude? Even worse, we now have to look up at Toronto in the standings.

41. ZimHabwe says:

From the very beginning MB NEVER promised that a Stanley Cup contender would be built in 2 years. So don’t even bother looking at management for the teams woes. We are probably lucky to be in a hypothetical playoff spot. Second, I think it’s time to shed the deadweight ie. half the defense and half the offense. Third, it’s ok if we don’t make it to the playoffs. In fact we’d rather have it that way because it’s the only way the building process can ever happen. Not through pointless trades that don’t mean a thing.

Otherwise, this team is doomed. And I mean it.

• DAVE. N says:

Agreed he never promised a Cup contender. A team that gives a complete game effort may be nice to watch. The management IS to be held accountable to ice a team that can do that. And if you would rather not see the Habs in the playoffs, we will agree to disagree on that. Tanking the season is a losers’ way. Ask Edmonton how its working for them.

• ZimHabwe says:

You are right on most of the things you say except my comment was not meant to suggest that we go the tank route. In fact I’d be happy if they made it. All I meant to imply was it would also be fine if they didn’t make it because we can get a top pick.

42. roblack says:

They can’t win on the road and their losing at home. Michel Therrien’s failure as a coach is he has to find somewhere else for them to play. As was once said by the great Harry Neal. Whats with Gionta taking TWO boarding penalities,hits from behind? Way to go captain,what an inspiration to the team. Im all for keeping the “bones” of this team,Subby,Price,Eller,the Gallys,and trade the rest for draft picks. Its the talent of the guys picking those picks we need to be good. Not the guy that took Louis Leblanc in the first round,someone who can accurately judge young talent. When you’re depending on Doug Murray to stop Ovie,you’re in trouble.
    HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

43. twilighthours says:

A Pavel Valentenko reference!

I’m not in montreal, but it strikes me that there’s not enough outrage from either the players or the media after this past week of hockey.

What’s the vibe there?

44. SherbrookeW says:

I know no one wants to hear this but…this is Bettman’s NHL. Apart from a handful of teams, and they struggle,too, EVERY team in the league has the same structure: if you were a Rangers fan this year you’d feel exactly the same way, some encouraging wins, then a series of baffling losses. The salary cap, and the encouragement of plod-hockey means that a mediocre team can beat a good one,as against Chicago , and then a mediocre team can look terrible against an even more mediocre one, as tonight. It’s a league designed to produce mediocrity. “Blowing up the team” in a panic will only make things worse. The only sane thing to do is stick with the current coach — no savior is on the horizon — for the rest of the year, and, above all, play the kids and find out what they can do. There’s no excuse for not playing Leblanc, Beaulieu, Pateyrn, etc. when you have veterans in place who you know aren’t adequate. At least find out what the kids can do.

Habs Since ’68

• BJ says:

Its a win win situation to keep the team as it is. If we continue losing, maybe we get a decent pick. If things turn around again we are back into it. A greater concern is to get some value at the trade deadline for perhaps Markov (and only if its a major return, a solid prospect and a 1st). If any team is willing to give anything for our UFA’s take it (see Gallagher a fifth pick, you never know what might evolve from a lower pick and at least there is some return). And there is no sense in trading half the team. I think we need to find a right winger to play with DD and Max and bring back the line of Eller (at centre) with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. At least have some offence on two lines.

45. BJ says:

The only way we could have won last nights game would have been to dress #13 Anthony Calvillo and hope for a last minute touchdown toss to take the game 6-5.

46. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hard to compete when you don’t score, don’t stop scores.

My powers of critical analysis amaze even myself.

Marc10, have a great day Down Under! (What’s left of it!)

47. NL Hab says:

I agree with Boone,

This is not a playoff team. I hate Therrien, but I don’t think Scotty Bowman could make these group of guys a better team. We were overachieving at the beginning of the year, and you can see them wearing down now. I think this could get ugly.

Et Le But

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree.
      And so much season left….

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s the worst thing about it. A GM who has done his best to weaken this team in the last 10 months + a horrible head coach and some people think this team just isn´t good at all.

Only Pittsburgh and Boston are really better in my point of view and this team doesn´t need Bowman. One trade, a Pateryn call up + Guy Boucher and there´s a good chance for some playoff games. With Therrien? No chance at all.

The best we can hope for is six more losses before the Olympic break (I know there are seven games but one is against Boston…).

For the ones who really think this team just sucks: Why did we win our division last season? Why were the Habs outplaying and outshooting most opponents in October? Why? Just wake up…

48. Marc10 says:

Glad I missed this one. Happy Australia Day from Downunder. I’ll be having a drink in honour of those that were subjected to this train wreck. We lost a lot of good men and women last night. If not in body, most certainly in spirit…

• Tom says:

look, I’ll be honest. It was a tough pill to swallow. And Australia is always a joy to behold. The duality of the situation was killing me. Hopefully, the future fire sale yields high returns. Merci!

49. Feraco says:

This is a top 10 team in 40 games or less. It’s been like that for years.

50. The Gonk says:

I’ve been a Habs fan for 40 years running. I’m never going to stop but I think I know a bad watershed Habs situation when I see it. The Roy trade still ranks as the lowest point of our recent history and the entire 2011-2012 season debacle comes second. Tonight’s game was emblematic of an embarrassing stretch of bad play that is now metastasizing into the third. With respect to Boone, I think he’s wrong. While the composition of this team has major holes, I nevertheless think there’s enough talent to compete and play decent hockey as a threat in the Eastern Conference (and while they’re not an elite team I still feel they’re better than their recent showing). I think the team’s failure largely sits with MT. He strikes me as is insecure and his turbid psyche pervades many of his decisions: proverbial line tinkering, unprocessed line changes and in-games adjustments, and most egregiously his inability to adopt puck-possession strategies that utilizes the Habs speed and skill to play attacking hockey. Which all leads us to MB and his complicity (if not direction) on how the team plays. He’s likeable (he’s the anti-Gauthier) but is he wise? How do you let MT make these decisions if they aren’t reflecting your like-minded thoughts and perceptions? If it is the case the coach does align with you, then your assessment of your talent isn’t good or else your chosen style of play doesn’t fit the team you have. Either way a change is needed. Immediately.

51. wildwilly says:

If Therrien is out, who would you put in?

Guy Boucher knows many of the players and would seem a logical choice. His motivation would be a welcome change to Therrien’s style.

Who else? I imagine the coach will be Francophone, which cuts down the list.

52. Bun E. Laroque says:

It should probably be Geoff Molson’s face in the Scream. Therrien is definitely not doing enough existential soul searching in my opinion. If the team is going to suck I would rather watch some of the younger players try hard, make mistakes and learn their craft. Tinordi should definitely be playing here. A coaching change would be nice. The games just aren’t that fun to watch. Worked out pretty well for Winnipeg.

53. montreal ace says:

#%$%^%$ GM, $%^%%%$#$,Coach, #$#$%$%$ Players, and #$#$#%!! spell check

54. DickandDanny says:

One thing really popped out again tonight. Something I noticed early in the season also, but had forgotten about. Our D rarely if ever pinch in at the blue line in 5 on 5 situations. That must be frustrating as hell for the forwards who are always racing back to our end to help out. Other teams routinely pinch up their D and help keep the puck in so the forwards can play in the offensive end. Not our bunch. They were backing out all night again, several times when they could have gotten to a loose puck. I even recall a forward glancing back to the point thinking where the hell is the D. Another thing about the D, when have you seen one of our D joining in a offensive rush. Never. It’s little things like this which differentiate a good team from an average or weak team. Subban rushing the puck doesn’t count either. I am talking about a D man actually joining the rush as a 4th player. It never happens. No wonder we are the last in the league offensively 5 on 5. There are reasons for these things and that is a glaring one in my opinion.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• CH Marshall says:

We gave two D and now 3 who can do it. I’d rather this team lose by 5-6 and win by 6-5

• NL Hab says:

Yeah you are right. I think they are told not to pinch or they are afraid to make mistakes. Either way it is making it very difficult for our forwards to sustain any type of pressure in the O-Zone when our D is back by the red-line.

Et Le But

55. CH Marshall says:

I’m watching this CBC rerun of the game, and I can tell for a fact MT doesn’t know how to emotionally engage the team

56. DickandDanny says:

I was watching the game with my 20 year old daughter who for some reason picked tonight to have a Dad moment. She knows little about hockey and if she does have a team she cheers for it’s the Sens (my hometown). Anyway, even she was commenting how bad this team looks. In the words of the late great John Candy, “lets blow em up real good”. Yup, it’s time this miserable assortment of misfits found new homes. There are no untouchables, not Price, not Subban, not Pacioretty, or Plekanec. It’s time for MB to start earning his money and make some brilliant moves. If he has to trade some fan favourites (there aren’t many of those to choose from anyway) then so be it. In the words of another great comic, “Get er done”.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

57. CH Marshall says:

Seriously why not try 2-2-1? Or anything than the trap? Not to make a soccer parallel, but we have speed, so why not play 4-3-3?

58. FormalWare says:

Five to Nothing at Home. 5. Nil. À domicile! Five to nothing! 5 – Zero! Five! Five!!!…

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

59. Puckdoc says:

Therrien won’t get fired but how long until Bergevin starts getting named in tweets by the Montreal mayor?

He’s done nothing this season except add Daniel Briere, Douglas Murray and George Parros. I believe those “moves” deserve all the heat being directed at Therrien who’s a buffoon in his own right but is just making crappy lemonade out of shriveled up lemons.

60. CH Marshall says:

Man I’m glad I don’t pay for watching live games
    Like tonight’s. Just can’t afford it

61. punkster says:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

62. lizard ranger says:

I’ve been reading HIO for a long time but this game, this game, that sad attempt at a hockey game, has turned me into an online “expert” . Drinking use to be fun but now I have to watch hockey in the garage . I don’t blame my wife . The Habs are turning me into a misreable guy to be around on game night . Please trade or fire anyone . Something has got to give .

• CH Marshall says:

Guy, I mistakenly checked the score after 1st at work, and unfortunately I was in a bad mood for the rest of the time. Lesson learned. I’m not watching the rest of the games unless I find myself in a bar with the game on.

63. Captmax says:

It was sad again that the third period was another round of “Whose my line mate” but if we trade we need one thing… A real forward who can get to the net. Gallagher can’t do it all on his own.

What’s crazy is that the Kid with the broken hand is causing all this?! He might not be what the fans want but we’ve been losing since his injury and nothing was more confidence than him bandaging the hand and finishing the game against Florida. I watched that on 24ch and knew the kids a star! He’s all heart! He helped by making the Habs 3 descent lines now they are scrambling! Come back Galchenyk we are dying without you!!

Eller is not a winger!! But the kid can handle the puck and make plays… Wish he had guys to make them to!!
    DD and Pac make one descent player. That’s it. There needs to be 3 guys on a line and since Gallagher plays hard enough for 2 the line can float!! Change it or forever be without serious consistency. Time to change up Gionta and Plekanec’s!!

Sad for Price but once you get “great” some times the defense start thinking they are!! Not the case here. They are letting him down! They need to know it!

We need White back to!! More heart!! More grit!!

It’s sad but we’ll have the elements back after the Olympics to make a push again.

Still have hope but don’t trust the heart!

Capt

64. CH Marshall says:

Ahhh Saku. A good guy

65. CHicoHab says:

We are 27-20-5 after tonite. Even if we lose next 7 games (leading upto olympics) we will be .500. Dont think we will lose next 7. MT as much as I dont care for him will survive the season. If we win lets say 3 of next 7 that puts us 30-24-5. Thats not going to get MT canned. If we lose the next 7 though well then it’ll be interesting.

“take your time and hurry up”

• Habsbill24 says:

Actually 27-20-5 means the Habs won 27 and lost 25 but got five loser points so they are barely over .500 now in terms of wins and losses. The NHL is the only league where every team can be over .500 given their point system.

Fans pay big dollars to see a team play smart competitive hockey. MT says any team can have a bad game. How about a bad two months? The guy is clueless shuffling lines because that is the only thing he knows how to do. I will not watch another game live this season. Not worth investing 2.5 hours of my time. I will use the DVR and watch on delay so I can fast forward when games get out if hand like the last three this week. Sports are supposed to entertain. There is no entertainment value from these Habs, just frustration. MB says to be patient, but he has only been here two years. We, the fans, have been waiting since 1993 for a team that is truly a competitive threat to win the Cup. Save your money and stay home. That is the only way we can deliver a message.

66. CH Marshall says:

I’m sure Molson sent MB a few cryptic text messages tonight.

And Boones right on all fronts, it’s a combo of EVERYTHING. Even if we had the greatest coaching, we are still too small.

Even if we had the best team, this coach is not able to adapt mid game and OUT-THINK and OUT-STRATEGIZE the opposing bench. Really I wouldnt want Therrien to be my general. A man who tries to discipline PK instead of figuring out how best to maximize him as a weapon. I still don’t know why he hasn’t even tried to give PK an extra shift to go full length of the ice to surprise the enemy.

67. HabinSquamish says:

I was hoping for a year long strike to get me off of the Habs. Didn’t happen. I thought Betman would. Didn’t happen. My 4 year old son was using my iPhone to watch a movie on the way home from Whistler and I keep hearing “ping” which is an alert that “someone” in the Habs game scored. I get home and it’s 4-0 Washington, I think this may have done it…

68. Da Hema says:

One of the greatest mysteries — one no doubt that will pique the interest of philosophers and theologians for centuries to come — is how the Canadiens actually defeated the Chicago Blackhawks this season.

69. Habfun says:

I feel sick to my stomach! but at least I will hit the toilet!!

It\’s all about the CH

70. Storman says:

ALN A) About Last Night,, B) Another Long Night,, C) Another Loss Nincompoops

71. temekuhabs says:

No sense sugar coating it
    This is a bad team
    Trade who you can for picks ( keep Gallagher, Larry, Galchenyuk)
    Say adios to the Captain, Vodkov, Bourque,
    Lottery pick!!!

72. GL says:

Not to completely ruin your weekend. Tuesday is gonna be another bummer against Carolina. Maybe we’ll see the end of MT hope he takes some of the deadwood with him.

73. The Gumper says:

If MT is not fired by noon tomorrow, I’m handing in my secret decoder ring. That was a disgrace to the uniform….

74. JohnBellyful says:

Suckin’! (in tribute to the Habs’ efforts)

75. smiler2729 says:

I think Carey’s gonna shine bright in front of a great team like Team Canada, it’ll reinvigorate him and then he’ll have to come back and play with these bums again…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

76. Kooch7800 says:

I would not discount price being pissed. What scares me is PK in the offseason. They need to lock him up before he wants out

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

77. Mattyleg says:

…maybe stop swearing…?

Don’t used the words b-a-n-n-e-d or j-o-h-n-s-o-n
    And some others that I’ve been modded for but am not sure what they are exactly.
    It can be pretty random.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

78. frontenac1 says:

No Benching after that.Maybe PK should”cry in Mike”s arms” it worked for Gio. Saludos!