About last night …

PricePittsburgh

Here’s some good news:
Carey Price and P.K. Subban won’t have to face Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz at the Winter Olympics. They’ll all be on Team Canada.
Better news:
Evgeni Malkin and Andrei Markov will be together on Team Russia – which will spare the Canadiens’ defenceman the embarrassment of being turnstiled by the Pittsburgh superstar.
But happier times won’t last forever.
Four days after the games end, the Canadiens will pay another visit to the Consol Energy Center.
And by Feb. 27, their playoff hopes may be flickering like the Olympic flame in Sochi.

Your Montreal Canadiens are playing badly … and it’s not a recent phenomenon.

With each loss and/or unlikely win, it becomes more evident that the conquest of the Stanley Cup champions at the Bell Centre was an aberration.

The REAL Montreal Canadiens have played .500 hockey over their last 18 games – including that win over Chicago in The Game of the Season That May End Sooner Than Hoped For By Everyone (especially Geoff Molson, who likes playoff revenue).

RDS’s Marc Denis cited a troubling stat during the intro to Wednesday night’s 5-1 stomping in Pittsburgh.

Up to Dec. 10, the Canadiens had allowed an average of 2.06 goals per game. In games since then, the average is 3.01.

When a team that has trouble scoring is allowing three – and, lately, often more – goals per game, the losses are going to pile up.

The Canadiens are still third in the Atlantic Division. But the race for playoff spots is tightening up. And this team is trending down.

One forward line distinguished themselves in Pittsburgh: David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallgher competed hard on every shift, even after the Penguins built an insurmountable lead through the first 40 minutes.

As he does night in and night out, Tomas Plekanec gave it his best shot. It’s not Pleks’s fault he’s flanked by Brian Gionta, an aging and undersized RW, and Lars Eller, whose fragile confidence seeps away a bit more in each game where he has to impersonate a LW.

I can’t remember the various permutations and combinations Michel Therrien concocted for his third and fourth lines. At least Louis Leblanc got to play 7:49 – six minutes more than Joonas Nättinen did in Toronto.

And Nathan Beaulieu ended the game at plus-1.

Woo-hoo! The future is bright.

It actually might be.

But the present sucks.

Moreover, an honest appraisal of the depth of talent on a team like Pittsburgh inevitably leads to the sobering realization that the Canadiens are not ready to compete, on a consistent basis, with the NHL’s elite teams.

Yes, they looked great against Chicago.

But the Canadiens have been thoroughly beaten by L.A., St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Carey Price looked shellshocked in Pittsburgh. Sure, he faced only 21 shots. As has been the case for a while, however, it’s the quality of the shots Price is trying to stop.

Wide-open looks, gilt-edged scoring chances, long stretches during which the Canadiens are hemmed in their own end.

Sidney Crosby’s power-play goal, the culmination of unhindered passing by Crosby, Kunitz and Chris Letang? There isn’t a goaltender in the league who could have stopped that.

The defence corps in front of Price is in disarray.

Michel Therrien presumably thought he could stabilize his back end by reuniting Subban and Markov. It didn’t work.

P.K. took two bad penalties and was minus-3 in his 21 minutes of ice time.

Markov was turnstiled twice by his Russian teammate to be. The Canadiens’ Dman is showing disquieting signs of having run out of gas at about the 40-game mark.

How much will Markov have left in the tank after Sochi? And what kind of realistic assessments and expectations are being brought to the table at his contract negotiations, which reportedly began this week?

I’ll leave it to the Commentariat to suggest ways out of this mess.

From where I’m sitting, at the 50-game mark, your Montreal Canadiens just don’t have the horses.

And I don’t know what Marc Bergevin can do about it, other than preaching patience as the endless rebuild drags on.

Fire the coach?

Yeah, maybe. Therrien personnel moves and in-game strategizing leave something to be desired.

But let’s get real, peeps.

Scotty Bowman might not play Douglas Murray almost 20 minutes against a Cup contender.

But even with Toe Blake as his assistant, Bowman would be challenged to win consistently with this lineup.

On to Detroit.

1. wjc says:

My 2 cents worth:

You cannot blame coaching and then say players are not good enough.

It is either ‘coaching’ or the ‘players’ are not good enough, if it is the coach then you fire him. If it is players then you change them.

In the Canadiens situation against Pittsburgh it seems to me there are not enough good players.

The way I see it, you can change coaches every ten games and the team will not improve much.

If it is the players then you have a couple of choices, continue to improve through the draft…a slow process.

Trade for futures, depending on, no trade clauses, contracts, length.

You trade at the deadline to teams that need a push to go deep.

But being that it is a business as well, ownership may wish to roll the dice on a playoff round or two.

The solution might be to move as many players out that are ready and able to be moved as you can.

Then go the ‘free agent’ route, if certain players are willing to play in a hot unforgiving market such as Montreal, with language and political issues as well as living in a fish bowl atmosphere.

The fastest way up is to grab a free agent or two and continue to grab and nurture your draft choices.

To say this coach or that coach can make a difference is not the answer. You will just become disalusioned in a short time when the expected results do not materialize.

A coach can only do so much and needs the talent or you play a trap style game and still finish in the middle of the pack.

The have Price, Gallagher, Patricetty, Suban, Emilin, Eller, Bourance,Galchenuk, and a young group of defensemen just about ready so you build off of that.

The coach or the players, which is it, could be both but not likely.

wjc

• Players and coaches aren’t good enough. A handicap that we have to have a French speaking coach, problem number one. Why we can’t draft, UFA and compete with the best, I don’t know, since we are supposed to be an elite club, with a storied past.

That is the problem… it is a storied past, nothing in the last two decades and decade upcoming I’m afraid…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• wjc says:

First of all oldschoolboy, you have to respect the language thing. Communication HAS to be in both languages. You cannot have a Russian coach that speaks Russian, can you imagine the translation problems. The misunderstandings, bad enough now.

The best had there years down at the bottom and benefited from top draft choices. Where did Crosby come from….NUMBER 1 PICK. They are scattered through out the league if you look.

Montreal would have to finish at the bottom for a few years to get this quality of player.

With 30 teams drafting with 100′s of scouts watching games every night not too much get missed. But it does happen and you get lucky.

The STORIED past was built by Selke, with a different set of blue prints. Five teams competing with him, Signing 12 year olds to ‘C’ forms that meant that players was yours.

Then building 13 farm teams to house all these prospects. Having the language issue work in his favor. Why wouldn’t a french kid want to play where Richard played, stay home and speak his natural language.

When they tore it down Pollock benefited for years off of Selke. Pollock was able to keep all the junior age players and that carried right up into the late 70′s. He traded for futures with left over players.

The universal draft meant everyone had a chance at all players and the Canadiens lost a huge advantage.

Those days are over, the past is the past, it is never going to be the same again.

wjc

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t think it has to be one or the other. We can have the best coach in the world and still have difficulties if the players are just not good enough. You can also have a bad coach and a lot of bad players as well.

My opinion is Therrien is a decent coach. He was not my first choice and I don’t like a lot of the things he does, BUT….I’m not sure any coach would do exactly what I think he should…actually I know he wouldn’t. That does not make him a bad coach. We need better players. If and when we get them, we can then better judge the coach.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habfan17 says:

You are right, if you mean, all the players. The reality as I see it is, there are more or less 9 players that are not good enough or that are of the same type and not what the Habs need.

The coach is not good enough and does not seem to know how to evaluate his players and work out a system that would play to their strengths. Like I heard said, you don’t change Gretzky into a shot blocker! His constant line shufflings are problematic and to me, are a sign, he has run out of ideas as to how to run the team.

I watch players like Reilly, Karlsson, Seabrooke, Keith, and more, who are aloud to play to their strengths, sometimes make big gaffs, but aren’t benched because, in the end, letting them go brings many more rewards than consequences.

It is a travesty that Nattinen was brought up and not given any time. Of course his first few shifts may be off, he is nervous! Pateryn was brought up earlier this year and spent 3 games in the press box, and then was sent down. LeBlanc showed hustle last night and received only 7:49 minutes of ice time.

The team will not get better or gain experience if the players are not aloud to play and learn instead of being punished for making mistakes. It is one thing if they keep making the same mistake and refuse to listen to the coaches. If it is the natural learning curve, let them play!!!!!

It is time to stop living in the past, let the young core take on a leadership role and leverage the assets that will not ne around when the team is a true contender for pieces that will be abd fit long term!

Habfan17

2. Sportfan says:

How can you deny Budaj a goalie fight! Man the refs were jerks haha I love how Fleury was trying to get around the ref.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Sportfan says:

No having Emelin and his hitting is a big factor, or at least the emelin of old. I had work and missed the game, maybe I should be thankful.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Steeltown Hab says:

MT decides to line up Plek – DD – Briere head to head with Crosby – Malkin – Sutter, and dresses Murray and Bouillon…together….on the road when pittsburgh has last change.

Tell me who’s an actual worse coach in the league?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

5. doug19 says:

Poor scoring is a losing formulae. Another problem is that our Habs largest players are now average size. Other teams continue to develop monsters that can skate and score. Habs are late to this game. What is the reason, poor managers, coaches, scouts, fans?
    Look at the payoff grabbing Chara has been for Beantown!

6. rhino514 says:

Strange. Subban and Markov got lit up last night, but the other Dmen actually did better than expected.
    From what I saw in the firts period, Markov did look flat-footed so I would venture to say he was the weak link on that pairing, though I have no way of really knowing.
    If Marky is already gassed and still has to play the Olympics, and Emelin can´t find his game, we are in trouble.
    It will be interesting to see which 2 dmen sit out of Diaz, Emelin, Murray, Bouillon, and Beaulieu next game.
    Normally, I would bring Emelin back in and pair Beaulieu with Bouillon (rest him occasionally for Murray or Diaz)
    But we don´t know what kind of issues Yemmy has right now, so it´s tough to say what the best pairings are.
    Only good news from last two games is, Beaulieu doesn´t seem to be much of a liability out there on the third pairing.
    If the Russians can find their game and the kid continues to progress, it just might negate the need to get a good Dman rental who would probably not come cheap anyway.

7. krob1000 says:

Didn;t see the game..but did see that Murray and Bouillon were even, bEaulieu +1 and Gorges even…Subban and MArkov were -3 and -2 …..not what any of us would have guessed likely.

• Eddie says:

Subban and Markov had their worst games of the season, yes. They were terrible. Both of them. Terrible.

• --Habs-- says:

And Price didn’t make any miracle saves although made some great ones.

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• krob1000 says:

I only saw the highlights and a bit of the second period but the first goal was unstoppable, the second one was a deflection three feet in front of him, the Malkin goal I though he could have been out a bit and not let Malkin come across and the Crosby deflection was just a great play by Pitts as well. I didn;t see the other goal ….I did see thorught he various highligfht packages tha Gallagher had some changes and hit a post and my son said also a crossbar.

8. habstrinifan says:

Do you want to know what ails the Montreal Canadiens.

Put the following information down on a blank sheet of paper in front of you. Then read it. Then answer the question as to what ails the Mtl. Canadiens.

This legendary defenceman, former player and hero, who has put together just as superb and respected a career in the coaching ranks WAS available, contacted the team about a job, and in the year of Our Lord 2012, the Mtl Canadiens could not get together with this man because of telephone tag or schedules. And then on Thursday, May 13/2013, the Mtl Canadiens passed the Torch from another great player Guy Lafleur into the hands of ” not their captain”; “not their best player(Price)”; not a member from the previous year’s team; but into the hands of a UFA, who was expressing an insincere and mealy-mouth diatribe that he “always wnated to play for this team”.

AND NO ONE IN THE FREAKIN ORGANIZATION SAID “HOLD ON A MINUTE…SOMETHINGS SCREWY HERE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!”

And on top of that NO FREAKIN MEDIA PERSON raised any questions.

Explain that and you will have your answer.

9. Habsrule1 says:

I told you guys!

There was NO WAY we were gonna win this game without gamebreakers like Diaz & Emelin!

We had this game in the bag if they would have played!

Go Habs Go!!

• Eddie says:

I think I will have to reply, since you were kind enough to reply to my post yesterday.

I will even be respectful and use the your words.

Ridiculous post.

• Habsrule1 says:

The difference is I’m joking and your post was actually serious.

Go Habs Go!!

• Eddie says:

The difference is my post yesterday was not aimed at anyone, it was a general post

You chose to reply.

Own your posts. Take a position.

At least I know where I stand.

10. third generation haber says:

I’ve been claiming we should trade Markov for a long-time now, it has nothing to do with today. He’s simply the guy that could get us the greatest return and is expendable since he won’t be a part of any hab team that can compete for a cup. Isn’t winning a cup supposed to be our aim????

j.p. murray

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t think trading Markov is a good idea. I see him as the best guy on the team to teach and mentor the young guns coming up.

That being said, I guess it’s about return. If a team is willing to overpay, I’d definitely consider it.

Go Habs Go!!

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe get serious and get a real mentor for our defense. Do I have to name names?

• Habsrule1 says:

We could have a Larry Robinson type, but I also think it’s important to have a current player mentoring some of these guys as well.

Go Habs Go!!

11. rljmartin says:

Posters have constantly said Habs played above their heads first part of the season (with injuries!). Team got healthy and it has been a slow ride downhill since to the point where now I would say they are playing BELOW their potential.

Pitt. commentator at some point last night said he saw no fight in the Habs. Said he would turn Subban loose to try and get things going.
    It is a good point and may explain why the BELOW potential performances. How many players have been properly utilized since the team has been healthy? I would venture less than half. Can we honestly expect them to be thrilled and perform well under these conditions? Eller would be an excellent example among many. What a waste of a great talent.

12. --Habs-- says:

Everyone is not looking good right now. Price is still on his game but he’s not making the 2 or 3 miracle saves so a 1 or 2 goal a game performance are now turning into a 3 or 4 or 5. Some of those 40 blocked shots a game are making it in now as well. I do think the players have tuned out MT! Just look at the bench during a game!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• --Habs-- says:

BTW – To prove my tuning out theory, Its not only the players tuning out so are the fans. At one time I said I watched every game. Even I’m starting to tune them out! I love the game but not enough to waste my time.
      “Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• jimmy shaker says:

Yes, I agree……I’ve fast forwarded through the last couple of games……these guys aren’t worth watching at the moment. In saying that though, I will probably spend 170 bucks for a second row seat behind the habs net just to see PK play the wings at the joe on friday night. What a sucker I guess.

shaker out!

13. JF says:

Games like last night’s make it clear that this team is nowhere near ready to contend. For all the complaints about Therrien, this has much less to do with coaching than with the makeup of the team and with lack of depth. The Penguins are healthy at the moment, but they were winning even with key injuries. Pretty much the same goes for the Bruins and other elite teams. The only injury we have is Galchenyuk, but we were not even competitive last night. In fact, I think that the game against the Blackhawks is the only game since the New Year in which we have not been outplayed by whoever our opponent was, perhaps the only game since early December.

Subtract the 9-0-1 streak and we’re a .500 team and out of the playoffs, which is almost certainly where we’ll find ourselves when the season ends. And I think this is a good thing. A bottom finish and another high draft pick would be even better. The Penguins sat at the bottom for five years; this, with the incredible luck of getting both Crosby and Malkin, has allowed them to build the kind of great depth they have. I’m not suggesting we do anything like that, but I really think we need anther year of drafting near the top. Our system is reasonably deep in defensive prospects, but offence is a different story. We have some talented kids coming along, but do any of them look like becoming 30 or 40-goal scorers? How many of them will even make it? This team struggles to score goals, and I see nothing to suggest that is changing any time in the foreseeable future.

• Eddie says:

We have Carey Price in nets. Top 5 in the league.

We have Subban. Top 5 in the league.

We have Markov, Gorges, Emelin, who are all legit NHL defencemen.

We have Plekanec. One of the better 2 way, shut down centres.

We have Pekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Eller, all capable offensive players, all capable of scoring 20 goals a season.

We have toughness in Prust, White, Moen,

I think we have a solid NHL core lineup there. Nothing wrong with that lineup.

• third generation haber says:

that’s our core u are describing! Now get rid of the rest and build around it for the future!

j.p. murray

• adamkennelly says:

nothing wrong with it – lets see here – what about the rest of the team?

too small, too soft and honestly – continue to be a bit of a joke to play against because of the diminutive size of most of our team.

lets open our eyes and take a gander at the size of most of our opponents.

think anyone is afraid of our forecheck?
        think anyone is afraid to dump the puck into our end?

• twilighthours says:

There are big holes in the roster, but I tend to think this team has the personnel to be better than it is right now. So I guess that means coaching is partly to blame.

Therrien doesn’t get a pass.

14. TommyB says:

Bring on Drewiske!

15. Stuck_in_To. says:

A lot of posts refer to the skill gap or man-boy gap between Mtl. and Pitt. This was not so much of a complaint last time these two teams met. Or when Mtl. played Chi. So what gives? Montreal over-achieved in those games? Enjoy them but don’t expect them? This time Pitt. was healthy and Letang did not stink out the house? A team achieves consistent performance under the guidance of a firm and steady hand that fosters buy-in. This is what was “promised” to the media. Where is it?

16. Phil C says:

Briere had one of his his best games as a Hab. Only one assist, but that line was buzzing all night. It’s amazing that two of the smallest guys on the team (Briere and Gallagher) are the best at taking the puck to the net.

Good to see Bourque throwing some hits again. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Beaulieu played great for the most part. Very strong offensively, a little shakey in his own end at times although more than acceptable. I think they should keep him up to see if continues to adapt to the NHL game. He has top two potential, so I say pair him with Subban at EV for a while to see what happens.

Malkin is a pleasure to watch, so much skill.

What’s going on with Markov? He has been brutal for a while now. At least three times he got caught completely flat-footed at the blueline in no man’s land with guys blowing by him. Same thing against Toronto a couple of the goals including the winner. -5 in his last 4 games and he’s been a minus in every game this month except against Chicago and Dallas. The TSN announcer was wondering if he’s hurt because he seemed to be skating poorly at times. Emelin has been wearing the goat horns, but I think it’s time to try him with someone other than Markov to see if it’s Markov that is the problem.

• Eddie says:

What’s wrong with Markov is that his knees are not nearly 100%.

He is having trouble pivoting to his left.

• Phil C says:

For sure that’s an issue, but he has played well at times in the last few years since the surgery. Lately he has been awful so I think it goes beyond his knees, unless they are getting worse. We all love what he can do on offense and on the powerplay, but defensively he is costing them games.

• Eddie says:

When he makes a wrong read and he needs to quickly pivot and move left, or change direction from going forward to backward, he simply does not have that capability since hs surgeries.

Markov makes the correct read 95% of the time so he hides this physical problem very well.

My son had the same surgery.

• Habfan17 says:

and to his right!

Habfan17

• krob1000 says:

not sure he expected that deep into the zone that Malkin could or would cut to the net…not many guys make that play at that point in the ice….Malkin is so big and strong and skilled that he masked the wide move pretty well. Markov isn’t the first or last guy Malkin will do that to.

17. adamkennelly says:

when MT went to “talk” to Price after he pulled him – it appeared to me like Price’s look was saying “I really don’t give a crap what you have to say about anything”

the boys are done listening to MT – rightfully so. Reminds me of when Randy Moss went from NE to Minnesota – after a week there he came out and essentially said this coaching staff are a bunch of amateurs compared to where I just came from.

18. GrosBill says:

I saw a few people stating Prust looks hurt. For those who didn’t see this from last week, here is the interview with his trainer:

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Good read. Thanks Bill.
      The takeaway for me is this: Prust is indeed playing hurt and if he’s not in pain, he’s at least functioning at less than 100%. Lots of pro athletes are in the same boat. The question becomes: can he be effective despite his injuries? Obviously, compared to when he first arrived in MTL, I’d say he doesn’t bring as much to the team any more. Still, he’s a useful player but only just. Let’s hope he doesn’t have any further injuries, else it could be the end of the road for him.

• habstrinifan says:

I cant access it… says my limit for free reads has been reached. Hopefully Stu Cowan or Mike Boone links it.

• GrosBill says:

Delete cookies and try again, that works for me.

• GrosBill says:

If it doesn’t, basic summary is:

He still hears his shoulder squeak. He cannot raise his arms above his head. The trainer has had to adjust Prust’s training routine as a result. He cannot do push ups or bench presses for example.

Don’t think they will link here, surprised it wasn’t. It was from last week.

19. Old Bald Bird says:

My daughter came over last night, and with my wife, we watched two episodes of Downton Abbey. I was a bit disappointed that our date fell upon a Habs night, but I think it worked out rather well. I taped the game, but, needless to say, I didn’t watch it. This team is, perhaps, the worst in the league at this moment. The coach is all over the place, and the team is nowhere.

• --Habs-- says:

As I said to a leaf fan during their debacle As Price goes the Habs go. They can’t win unless price is at his best, meaning performing miracles on a nightly basis!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

20. habsguru says:

the CH couldn’t hold the puck long enough to even enter PIT’s trap. on many occasions, CH set up a 2 1 2 trap, and the front two were literally standing still high in the neutral zone, and 1 D standing still on the blue line! at any, and I mean ANY level of hockey, if your feet are still, you have already lost.

to make things worse, two of them were 21 and 79. just awful. feet planted against a world class team. that just screams “i don’t care”

21. adamkennelly says:

I’m too lazy to go find my post but I called this one to a faking T.

I wrote something about our line-up – our horrible D on paper and the fact that Price was likely going to get pumped for 6. I was off by 1.

Bottom line – after the chastising I took from all the “real” fans who root for the team to win etc..- I was being realistic and honest is all.

Team is just not very faking good – period. zero depth, small and old, future not as bright as everyone thinks.

22. habstrinifan says:

Breaking News, “Justin Bieber arrested”.
    Holy Crap!

23. RetroMikey says:

What a debacle it was last night and no surprise.
    The Habs are not headed anywhere.
    I repeat, they are not headed anywhere for the next 2 or 3 seasons if Bergevin does not make many drastic changes by trading Markov, Plekanec, Gionta, Briere, to name a few.
    I’ve said this from several seasons ago, that you got to give up to get something in return and not hope and pray this team is a playoff team season after season.
    Markov is not the same defenseman as in the past. He is getting older but some team will pick him up and we could get a prospect and good draft pick in return.
    As much as I like Plekanec, he will not be around if we vie for the Cup years down the road.
    As for the Captain Gionta, he is washed up, playing on his last legs before he retires. Perhaps a middle draft pick if we traded him back to New Jersey for him to finish off his career.
    As for Briere, another midget who is amounted to nothing on our team.
    The D is not physical enough, we need some punishing DMen to fill the void.
    We are just a small, fragile team and it will show as the regulr season dwindles.
    I want players who want to win in Montreal, big, North American players who have grit, and play game in and out, not floaters or yappers which we know we have.
    Yup, BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

24. Eddie says:

When the team saw the lineup they had to be puzzled by it.

The leadership, Plekanec, Gionta, Markov, Subban, Gorges, all were off right from the beginning.

That was Subban and Markov’s worst game of the season. Terrible!

The plan was wrong on the most basic level;
    there was no second pairing of dmen to cover a second scoring line, and the second checking center (Eller) had been moved to the wing.

I believe there was a complete breakdown of confidence last night, and you saw it in Carey Price’s reaction to every goal.

No one believed they could win last night.

Where we go from here is anyone’s guess.

• habstrinifan says:

Is Randy Cunnyworth still on that holiday Molson gave him?

• Eddie says:

Actually he was just hired by another team. When we brought in Randy Cunneyworth he was regarded as one of the best AHL coaches and one of the better candidates to get an NHL job. He left in disgrace with his career upside down.

The Francophone media ridiculed him at every turn and ran him out of town. Molson caved to the pressure big time.

I wish Cunneyworth well going forward. I hope he finds his way back to an NHL head coaching position.

• habstrinifan says:

He too brought the philosophy that plagues the HABS. Let’s play hockey as if it’s a chore.

So while I understood the difficult position, I dont feel his departure was a loss.

25. GL says:

Habs looked like an AHL team against Pittsburgh. I would say they were not only out scored. They were out skilled. Sad to watch. 20 years has gone by since our last cup and could very well be another 20. Some posters on here may never see the Montreal Canadiens win another cup. Sad when you think of a once proud francize teams were scared to play against. The new Montreal Canadiens every team wants to play them. Almost assured a point or two. They’re not worth watching. Only a handful of players are NHL calibre. Don’t be surprise if you’re not watching them come April. Probably won’t matter anyway. Another 1st round exit.

26. habstrinifan says:

Bergevin lost me when he didnt he offer Glen Metropolit a contract.

WTF was he thinking?

27. The Teacher says:

We also
    Need 3
    New
    Members in our top 6 forward group. at least bourque and gionta should not be there next year.

28. The Teacher says:

I see there is debate about what the team’s problem is.

Between forward and defence I think both are problems. However, our defence is just porous. Too many shifts backed up in our own end leave us just trying to dump pucks out of our Zone. That sure doesn’t lend itself to good breakouts by our forwards, leaving to what Boone said “the one and done” offence (usually because there is no support for the one forward who may take it up ice due to the fact that the other two forwards are either still stuck deep in the defensive Zone or are just too doggone tired from yet another one minute shift stuck in their own zone).

Our defence is too slow and too small. Next year, the only defencemen who should be locked into place in the Habs defence pairings should be subban and bealieau.

I think Markov still has it, but with gorges and emelin signed now he looks like the only one we can move to break up our top four cuz it ain’t working.

We need to get someone who can play with subban and someone we can play with bealieau

Gorges and emelin can face the other teams 3rd line.

29. habsfan2014 says:

I didn’t know TSN was airing a Hamilton Bulldogs game in Pittsburgh last night…..The gap in talent between these two teams is as big as an AHL team vs NHL team.

Keep up the good work MB!

I know I am very critical but I hate the fact we content ourselves with a simple goal to make the playoff when there was a time that we thrived for excellence and Stanley Cups

30. zephyr says:

geez. how can anyone even spend 10 cents to watch them play? I turned the channel after it was 3-1. markov was brutal. it wasn’t subban’s fault he was -3. murray played like a stud. he was dominant physically & won all of his individual battles. I paid special attention to his play & he did well. he cleared our zone when others struggled esp georges. funny how people don’t like murray. or dd. dd is our best playmaker & works hard every game. we have only 4 power fwds who are capable of scoring: max, chucky, eller & bourque (who scored last nite). solution for those whose fingers are in the wind: trade bourque. well I remember what a stud he was in last yr’s playoffs. the whole team is slumping.
    our biggest prob is that our def is overrated. markov & emelin have been playing poorly in our end for some time now. georges, diaz & bouillon are too light. they have trouble winning individual battles. if ur gonna play someone who’s undersized, then he better be able to score. markov can. the rest can’t.
    the next biggest prob is playing 4 smurfs up front. I think a case can be made for dd & Gallagher. gio & briere are liabilities. guys like ll aren’t going to do anything. he’s too light & has no offense.
    mt seems outcoached frequently. other teams exit their zone with ease against the habs while we struggle to get the puck out. clashes with star players & calling the team grinders are symptoms of incompetence.
    we have some bright spots with a good core of young players. I’m worried that guys like eller & bournival are not even getting scoring chances because of the sucky system we play. at what point does a coach admit that it’s not working? I recognized it long ago. I guess we’ll have to wait until we’re in danger of missing the playoffs b4 mb gets a new coach.
    in the meantime, how many people paying big $ for tickets are enjoying the games?

31. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. We’ve spent a lot of time worrying about the coach. He’ll be long gone by the time this team is a true cup contender. My guess is that there will be a change after the season unless he has another one of his infamous conniptions and forces a change sooner.

Here’s where I am worried. There is no doubt this team is heading in the direction of sellers at the deadline. Markov is a wonderful defenseman and still has plenty of hockey left in him IMO. That said, he may be the most attractive rental we have. I suspect we may get a legitimate prospect or a top round pick(s) for him as well. We need forwards desperately. Another high end draft pick would help secure one.

Now my real worry. In Bergevin we have an unproven GM. We all want him to succeed. No doubt. But if you examine his short record here thus far you must admit the jury is still out.

If the truth be told he’s made more poor moves then good ones. I’m worried to death that he may not be the right guy to build a team. His signing of Briere, his coaching hire, his failure to field a full squad for 2 games, are among the things that have raised flags for me.

Before all of you throw darts at me I’ll be quick to point out that he’s new to this job, has not yet mortgaged the future and has to be given a lot of time and patience. I agree with all that. But isn’t it fair for us to begin to examine his record which to this point is not stellar?

I’m much more concerned with Bergevin’s ability to build then I am with the coach who I’m positive is coaching on borrowed time.

• BJ says:

Regarding your concern with Bergevin as a rookie GM. Did he not “surround” himself with Dudley, Carrierre etc. to help make such decisions? It looks like a management team effort (and that is not to excuse him as I also agree that he has not made any good moves with the exception of not having sold the farm or picks). Here’s hoping he’s got the ball$ to not repeat what Gainey/Gauthier did by letting over 13 players walk without even a 5th pick.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

That will be critical. If MB lets a bunch of UFAs walk without even getting a bag of pucks, he should be fired.

• Loop_Garoo says:

No GM is going to trade all the UFA’s while they are still in the playoff hunt. Would be career suicide. If the habs are in the playoff picture and he trades gio and markov, he will be fired, quickly.

Greg

• jacquesthemonkey says:

That’s just it. Best case scenario, the Habs barely make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round. If they lose 3 or 4 UFAs for nothing afterwards instead of getting draft picks, they are headed for continued mediocrity for years to come. The Habs aren’t so deep in talent that they can afford to give away assets like this.

• habstrinifan says:

I share your worries too. But my chief worry is the stooopid ‘philosophy’ which seem to have taken hold of Habs mngmnt search.
      There is so much emphasis on ‘culture’, ‘message ‘, ‘responsibility’.

ALL weak buzz words which, in a deficient scheme, can hide crap ability. I want the next words out of anyone in charge of ‘building’ this team to say… my job is simply to win games.

Then we go from there.

32. BJ says:

Maybe this will help: A Minneapolis couple decided to go to Florida to thaw out during a particularly icy winter. They planned to stay at the same hotel where they spent their honeymoon 20 years earlier.
    Because of hectic schedules, it was difficult to coordinate their travel schedules. So, the husband left Minnesota and flew to Florida on Thursday, with his wife flying down the following day.
    The husband checked into the hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an email to his wife. However, he accidentally left out one letter in her email address, and without realizing his error, sent the e-mail.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Houston , a widow had just returned home from her husband’s funeral. He was a Baptist minister who was called home to glory following a heart attack. The widow decided to check her e-mail expecting messages from relatives and friends. After reading the first message, she screamed and fainted.
    The widow’s son rushed into the room, found his mother on the floor, and saw the computer screen which read:
    To: My Loving Wife
    Subject: I’ve Arrived
    Date: March 2, 2013
    I know you’re surprised to hear from me. They have computers here now and you are allowed to send emails to your loved ones. I’ve just arrived and have been checked in. I’ve seen that everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you then! Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was.
    P. S. Sure is hot down here!!!

33. habstrinifan says:

Beaulah? Anyone” Beulah?

We have two players at different ends of the spectrum exemplifying individual decline in performance.

Prust and Eller.

Answers?

Beaulah…. anyone!

34. habstrinifan says:

I am not gonna be negative anymore. I am turning over a whole new leaf.

Therrien is the best coach in the league.
    Therrien is the best coach in the league.
    Therrien is the best coach in the league.
    Therrien is the best coach in the league.

35. habstrinifan says:

Players only meeting.

Look for them folks.

Their absence would also say something.

36. habstrinifan says:

TimoJANUARY 23, 2014 AT 1:03 AM
    So during press conference Therrien apparently said he is not worried. Wow. Michael Therrien is zzzzzennnnn.

Remember that same tone before the Ottawa playoff series last year. He said dont worry folks, we will be ready for the playoffs, when the team was sputtering the final weeks of the regular season.

37. JUST ME says:

This is one of those days when one must look at the situation with a little time distance because as usual panic is in the house. For example: trade Markov !!! Makes no sense but after what we saw it`s the first thing we say. Now maybe Markov should have better team mates , that`s possible but to put the blame on a guy that yesterday we wanted to sign for a new deal shows that we need to think doesn`t it ?

Now that should not take too long cause there are not much to brag about…At first glance as a matter of fact the d-squad is in bad shape but why was this same squad within the best of the league at the start of the season and wich squad is the real one ? I`m afraid this one is the real one…

Breath in,breath out… Admire the Pens and turn the page…

• habstrinifan says:

“but why was this same squad within the best of the league at the start of the season”…. you didnt answer. Why?

• JUST ME says:

I guess that if i could answer i would be the one taking all the…that Therrien gets !!!

I have no easy answer but to say that only P.K. and Markov are reliable all season long. Diaz has his days off, Gorges is getting better but also had his part of problems,Bouillon and Murray should not play every game, Emelin is a not half the d-man he was but his injury still is in his mind and in his game and the kids from Hamilton are…kids from hamilton.

That being said a little offensive production would help but i think the D-squad should do a lot better. Why they were within the best at the begining of the season and not anymore is beyond me . They were overrated maybe but they also overachieved wich makes it difficult to judge…

• Habfan17 says:

The beginning of the season is when teams can win games they may not win later on. Some teams are still tweaking their systems. other got to have their training camp over seas and may be a little jet lagged. When ever you listen to the media experts, they say, pile up pojnts at the beginning of the season while teams are finding their legs and it is easier. You can catch some teams by surprise as well.
        Now, there is no hiding in the weeds! Other teams know what to expect and they also know that they can’t afford to slip in the standings. That urgency is not always there at the beginning of the season. The better teams also pace themselves to peak at the right time. I guess Therrien doesn’t think it is the right time yet! Maybe game 82!

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

Part system, part flawed roster.

• piper says:

Trading Markov makes a lot of sense unless you think the Habs are a contender this year or next. He has slowed down considerably due to the knee surgeries and age. If they could resign him now for 3 per year for 2 more years then OK, but that won’t happen. I say trade him now before his value deteriorates completely.

38. DipsyDoodler says:

Funny interview with Richard Sherman, wherein he makes fun of hockey:

39. Habfan17 says:

I was all for resigning Markov….until last night! It looked like he could not turn to the inside and was beaten too many times with speed! As smart as he is, I think the Habs need to move on.

Beaulieu did okay for getting stuck on his “off ” side. After the first or second goal, Gorges had the puck behind his net, didn’t look in any particular hurry to do anything with it, then looked like a deer in the headlights as a Penguin swooped by and took it. It looked like one of those set plays, problem is Gorges let the guy in the other sweater have it!

Patches came down the right side, was stopped, luckily the puck went to a Hab, and instead of going to the net with authority, drawing the Pens to him, he very gingerly, and slowly, coasted towards the net. Next thing, the Pens forced a turnover and were headed up ice!

Eller tried to make something happening, taking the puck from the boards and curling along the blueline. problem was, the other Habs were all standing still and he had no play to make. If all you do is look at Eller, it looks like he messed up, that would be wrong. It was like the other Habs were nailed to the ice!

This was a mess. I feel bad for Price. Another stinker when too many players did not show up or were exposed as not good enough, hello Mr. Gorges and Mr. Markov!

Habfan17

40. Bob_Sacamano says:

Wow, the Head Coach showed no interest at all to win this hockey game and you guys really want to trade half the team? A team that was just fine at the beginning of the season?

• Habfan17 says:

The beginning of the season, all teams are just getting going and it is easier to steal some games. Yes, they played well, but now the games are tighter as there is less time to make up ground and the Habs are not fairing well! They do need to make some trades, move out some players with value that aren’t key to the future.

Then they need to get rid of Therrien and his lousy system and bring in a coach that can recognize the talent he has and build a system that fits them and can be adjusted during a game when necessary.

The Therrien system is to stand still and block shots and hope the ones that get through are stopped by the goalies! Each game the team has had success, they were employing a pressure forecheck, even on the PK. Then for some reason, the next game, therrien reverts back to the stay back, clog up the neutral zone and block shots.

Every blocked shot is a chance at an injury. Great they lead the league, but I would rather they pressure the other teams and keep them from shooting so much!

Habfan17

41. Captmax says:

jaromir jagr, Daniel Alfredsson, Zdeno Chara, Martin St. Louis, Jarome Ignila, Hennrick Zetterburg.

All over 34. All near or older than Markov, some if not most playing less ice time.. All with more points pretty much than our top, Subban. So age isn’t important.

Goal scoring wins games and the Habs top points man is # 65. Not even in the top 20. That’s why we lose.
    Stop blaming defense when nobody seems to find the net. That’s our problem. Trade Markov ain’t solving the problem. Finding a natural goal scorer is.

Capt

• HABSnEXPOS says:

I agree I don’t think the Problem is Defence. I also agree we need a Big Time Hollywood Scorer ,but tell me your idea or vision of the Habs going out and getting a Big Time Threat. I think it’s time to part ways with 79 so we can get some picks, so we can go out and make these moves to get some legitimate scoring threats for all 3 lines.

• Habfan17 says:

I am not sure what game you watched last night. Markov could not turn to the inside, Gorges handed off the puck to the Penguins and the Defense, with the exception of Beaulieu and Subban, could not keep up with the size or speed of the Pens. Yes, it would be nice to have a goal scorer, and the Habs do have them. Bourque scored 20 goals four times. The problem is they don’t work for it and the Stand Still system that Therrien has employed will not end up with any offence or goals!

Habfan17

• CH Marshall says:

Or two ! Heck we probably need 4 new wingers, and maybe altogether 6 new forwards. And only Gallagher should be under 6′.

42. PeterD says:

Three moves to improve this team…
    1 – waive Bourque…if he’s picked up good for him, if he’s not pay him to ride the bus.
    2 – trade Markov to a real contender and give the loyal guy a chance to win a cup…take picks in return.
    3 – trade Gionta to a contender for picks.

Other moves…do not resign Diaz, Bouillon, Parros

• third generation haber says:

Diaz may have some (not much) trade value for other teams, so trade him too.

#1, trade Markov, he’s got significant value!

j.p. murray

• Habfan17 says:

You forgot move Gorges, Briere, and DD. The Habs need a make over, not a tweak! I would rather watch a young talented and hard working team take two seasons to learn and get better than this bunch…and for goodness sakes, lose Therrien and bring in a coach that can assess his talent and put in a system that exploits their skills!

Habfan17

• DipsyDoodler says:

I can see how trading a player for a better player makes us better.

Can’t see how removing players does it.

Getting angry after the game and saying “trade the bums” doesn’t even make for a good blog post, let alone a sound strategy for the team.

43. HABSnEXPOS says:

Anybody can tell me how to add a picture to my avatar ?

44. MasterHab says:

Since Mr. Boone is asking I will answer. The way out of this mess is to gut the team. Gut it from ear to ear. For too many years now, a succession of GM’s have fiddled with but never completely overhauled the roster. It’s fine for a new GM to want to “change the culture” but you can’t go from being a soft team to a hard-to-play-against team simply by adding some grit on the fourth line. If your core group remains the same then the culture will remain essentially unchanged. The only way to affect real change is to gut the roster. At least half of the current 23-man roster needs to go and it scarcely matter what, if anything, the Habs get in return. Why hang on to Rene Bourque hoping to get a decent asset in return? Just get rid of him. Addition by subtraction.

If we’re going to lose anyhow I prefer to do it with players who represent our future, not ones who represent the past or present suckitude. I can live with mistakes from the likes of a Tinordi, a Beaulieu, a Bournival or even a Leblanc. But I cannot countenance high-paid veterans like Markov or Briere get made fools of because they’re both at least a year past their “sell by” date. It’s time for Bergevin to fish or cut bait here. I don’t think he should be offering Markov a contract at all, quite frankly. I know Markov wants to finish his career as a Hab but I’ve got news for Andrei: his career is already over and he needs to accept it. NHL teams play 82 game seasons, not 42. He doesn’t have what it takes to go the distance anymore. It sucks because he’s been a loyal soldier and all but this is business. He needs to go, not get another multi-million dollar contract.

Pleks too, while valuable, does not represent the future. He’ll be long gone before this team is in any position to contend so the time to get rid of him is now, before his skills diminish to the point where you get nothing for him.

Obviously you keep Price, Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival and the prospects on the farm. But a lot of the vets need to rotate out of there. Question is, does management have the cajones to do it? Because once you do you’re telling the fans that you’re not as close to a Cup as you tried to fool them into thinking when you wanted to sell them a bunch of overpriced team merchandise. You’re finally admitting that the emperor has no clothes.

I doubt Bergevin and Molson have the stones to do what needs to be done. They’re all about protecting the profit margins.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

Great Post. Great Read . Love your vision.

• Habfan17 says:

I hope you don’t receive the same backlash that I do when I suggest trading Pleks! I have the same outlook as you. He is very good, but it will be a long time before the Habs are a team that can compete for the cup. better to leverage him in a trade.

Habfan17

45. third generation haber says:

Is there a single person in this community that still believes we have a chance in hell to compete for a cup anytime soon???

So why are we talking about line combos, positions, trading dead-weight, and firing coaches??? These moves will bring marginal improvement, not make us a cup contender.

The number one way to improve this team for the future is to trade Markov!!! Boone asked how much he will have in the tank after Sochi, the question is how much will he have in the tank after next season? He will be retired (voluntarily or knee drive) by the time we are a contender, so why delay our own rebuild??? I thought the goal was to win a cup, not squeak into the playoffs each year and get bounced.

Button called Markov a “specialist” today. And, he’s right!!! He’s soft, he’s aging, and he’s losing his step.

Think big picture! Think about becoming a contender! Trade this guy while he still has value!!! We got Pacioretty and Gorges for Craig Rivet…… Craig Rivet for F%&* sakes!

Contenders aren’t lining up to acquire Gionta, Bourque, and Diaz, they want a PP quarterback like Markov. His next contract will be a retirement deal which will help us to compete for 8th again each year.

We need top 10 picks to become a contender, but we’re not that bad. The way to land a top 10 is to trade Markov for a top ten pick from the 2011 or 12 draft.

If anyone can think of a better move we can make now to help us become a contender in the next few years, please let me know.

FYI, I’m a Markov fan, but after 20 years of being a bubble team, I’m ready to swallow the tough pill and become a contender again.

j.p. murray

• HABSnEXPOS says:

I agree and I would add Pleks to that list as well . I know he’s the favourite forward among most on here to the extent when he was recognised on here with his picture and a write up someone compared him to beliveau with is a slap in the face to #4. I think you are totally right ThirdGenHabsFan. Trade Markov and I say Pleks as well something we have that other teams want.

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed with you both and I would also add Gorges. The Habs have many right shot defencemen in the system, and Patryn and Nygren are close to ready. Dietz will probably not be far behind. Then there is Ellis, Trower and Didier. The Habs could afford to trade Ellis too.
        They already have Emelin, Boullion, Murray, andDrewiskie on the left side. Add in Beaulieu and Tindordi and there is no room for anyone else. Trading Markov and Gorges, along with Pleks may bring in a solid 2nd pairing right handed defenceman and a forward prospect. Murray and Boullion should be gone after the season.

Move Gionta for a pick at the deadline and see if anyone will take Briere and DD. Then go shopping for UFA’s that can fill roles if need to. Not top end guys that teams over pay for. 2nd level players to help the young core succeed!

Habfan17

46. Propwash says:

Well, at least I managed to catch a kickass show at Club Soda.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

47. Captmax says:

It was a very tough loss!! But the players didn’t give up. They continued to play hard and show frustration, which means they care and are still intent to win.
    I do take offense to the DD, Pacioretty comment that they showed up and played well!! It’s like they score occasionally and so Therrien is now scared of them. Pacorietty is a coaster! Always has been. If that line is so good they should score. The struggle leads to scoring!! Tonight it proves that our “1st” line is a third line and the rest of the team is just lost.
    Gallagher the EGG line started the season with greatness. Put them back when Gal is back, stick Bourque DD and Pac and Prust back with Gionta and Plek. That’s better then the stupidity he’s been pushing.

The D is another bag. Sure blame the defense. To slow. To old.. Screw you guys. We block more shots and Carey saves more because we never have possession.

Just once I would love to see our guys control the play confidently in the opposing end rather than looking desperate. The D is fine is they weren’t defending and skating random for 80% of the game.

Yeah I am upset but I still see diamonds just frustrated that we were pounded by the Leafs then this catastrophy!!

Capt

• SlovakHab says:

I reckon it’s the coaching… We don’t play the type of hockey our team is capable of, and apparently the whole team regressed comparing to the last season.
      Dumping the puck in the corners won’t improve our possession I’m afraid..

This comment on RDS made me LOL

“JEAN COUTU a decider d emitter la cage au sport, il offre un special 5 anti depresseur pour le prix d un lorsque le CH perd un match. Avis a certain sur ce site. “

49. adadi says:

Hey Bergevin, I hope you’re having nightmares right now!

50. HABSnEXPOS says:

Hello All,
    I’m not sure what everyone is so down about a 5-1 loss to Pittsburg. There are so many great hockey minds of the game that post on here so often. So I can’t be they only one that saw this coming. This was pretty close to the outcome I predicted. They are the Penguins and we are The Canadiens. I don’t think we have to get into specifics when it comes to roster vs roster.

I have no problem losing. I just have a problem losing with a full “NHL” roster and payroll. I like the idea of the post during the live game blog to maybe Identify your core moving forward and take what you can for the rest.
    I said it after the NJ Ghetto beating. Boone mentioned it tonight. Markov looks slow and tired and still hasent seen Sochi. I personally don’t want to sign Markov to 6mill/year. He’s one of my favorites but not a 6. If Big Murr was able to receive 2 second round picks, I think Markov would be able to draw something nice for Habs.

It’s looking like we need draft picks to pick some bigger skilled forwards for our farm system since we have bunk for forwards in Hamilton. Hopefully we can not upset the French speaking fan by looking at skill first and primary language spoken fifth or sixth on the scouting report. I’m sure that’s why we drafted LL. Im sure that’s why MB Signed Danielle Brassier. If Daniel’s last name was Smith he would still be sitting in the press box watching the Armands. We could have signed Jagr or Dustin Penner both would have been cheaper with one year less of term. Both better additions then the whathaveya wearing number 48.

Same can be said for the coach. Hopefully we can hire the best coach based on hockey knowledge and ability to get the most out of his team and develop players. Not if he can speak broken French well. Nobody in Montreal minded that Felipe Rojas Alou couldn’t speak French coaching the greatest team in baseball in 1994.

• adadi says:

Our core is PK and Price. Everyone else is trade bait.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

LMFAO @adadi … great call man. I will be laughing hard for the rest of the night . It’s funny because it’s true . Thanks Man.

• jols101 says:

Hey, I am down on this team as anyone but to not have Galchenyuk, Patches, Gallagher and Eller in your core is ludicrous.

• Timo says:

Anyone of these players would flourish on teams like Penguins, St Louis, Kings, and even effing Bruins. Why, because they would be surrounded with quality veterans and not the likes of Gionta, Briere and Co. Oh, and they would have a coach not named Michael Therrien.

• rogus says:

I would add th e turtleneck and Bourn-identity to that, and Prust.

• jols101 says:

The turtleneck for sure. I didn’t include him because he is getting a little long in the tooth and I am not sure he will still be in his prime if this team ever is a contender in a few years.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

@Jols101 Your right I was more or less laughing at the sarcasm from adadi. Trust me.. I know you can order jerseys online but I flew down from Alberta on the 30th of Nov to watch the habs beat the leafs 4-2 and I wanted my Galchenyuk jersey from the bell Centre which I did pick up and wear it with pride Jols101 !

• rogus says:

Hopefully he gets a shot a C sooner than later, not like Eller, having to suck it up on the wing so DD and DB can shrimp up the middle…

• jols101 says:

Ya, lol, everyone is just so crusty with the way this team has been preforming and the unwillingness of the GM or coach to make any changes doesn’t help.

• adadi says:

Patches is soft and lazy with low hockey IQ and lower +/-. Gone. Love Gally but he is too small and probably will fizzle out in a few years. Chucky is good but will not be a superstar. I really like Eller but MT had done everything in his power to destroy him. Every day he spends under MT it gets worse. Anyway all 4 are worth a lot at this moment so trade bait.

• The_Truth says:

Eller is useless for his skill set, I wouldn’t include him. I can name 60+ centers better than him in the league. Most overrated player on the team.

3G, 4A, -12 in his last 28 games. Brutal.

• third generation haber says:

Wow! the mood is changing! I suggested trading Markov 2 weeks ago and nearly got torn a new one. hopefully this idea will gain some momentum and management won’t feel the pressure they might be feeling to resign him.

j.p. murray

I like Budaj. He said that “we” (meaning the players) didn’t play well and Price was left alone. I

53. I like MB’s drafting, and I didn’t mind his free agent signings. But his trades — there just haven’t been any. For a guy who says he’s “always, always, always looking” to make his team better, his constant searching hasn’t turned up much.

Here are the last trades involving the Habs:

- July 2, 2013: Kristo for Thomas
    - July 5, 2013: Parros for a 7th
    - April 2, 2013: Drewiske for a 5th
    - Feb. 26, 2013: Cole for Ryder and a 3rd
    - Jan. 13, 2013: Brendon Nash for Jason DeSantis

Aaaand that’s it. I’m not advocating trades for the sake of trades, but considering what guys like Bouwmeester and even Gleason went for, have there really been so few opportunities to improve the team in the last year?

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

I am kind of bummer moron refs didn;t let goalie join in on a fun. Would have been great watching Boods beat the shit out of that rat face MAF.

55. HAabs says:

Leafs have won 6 in a row… what’s to worry about?

56. Thomas Le Fan says:

The Penguins are very good and I don’t hate them so that wasn’t as painful as it might have been. An advocate of putting Subban and Markov back together, I have to say that Markov looked old and P.K. is at least one of the only Habs playing with any passion, mistakes notwithstanding. Price should sue for lack of support from the rest. This will need some work and MT is not the man to fix it. I have not seen a well coached team on the ice lately or a team with any enthusiasm for the game. In fact, I fear the wheels are falling off. Hopefully it’s the flu and we’ll turn this ship around. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Timo says:

For a team that is supposed to be all about speed and work ethic (no excuses, remember?) they are so consistently never beat an opponent to the pack and nothing but a bunch of excuses comes out of players’ and coach’s mouths.

57. adadi says:

Hey guys, it was November when I started harping about not having the horses nor the coaches. I hate to say I told you so but…

The sad part is when you look at the prospects we are at least five years away from being competitive…and that is assuming MB or whoever the GM is makes the logical moves. Something far from certain.

Given all this would you sign with Habs if you were PK? Pretty sure I wouldn’t.

58. yukonhab says:

may all Habs positives shink you head!!!
    Price 31

59. ClutchNGrab says:

I feel the need to be positive.

I had a smile when Bylsma put his first pp unit with 5 minutes left on a game his team was leading 5 – 1 … and they didn’t score.

That’s it.

60. Frank2468 says:

Angels of mercy save us.

61. rogus says:

I’m the eternal optimist, but a mind-blowing trade needs to be made. I am thinking Edmonton is ripe for the picking. May I suggest Markov, Gionta, Diaz, Gorges and a first for Gagner and Yakupov? Gives them leadership and D, and rids us of headaches and expiring contracts, while helping the front end.

• Don’t think they’d want impending UFAs, but I bet Gorges could be a starting point in a package that lands Gagner.

• rogus says:

That’s all I’m suggesting. We have a glut of 4/5/6 defensemen that would be 2/3/4 in Edm. They have exciting young fwds all the same. If we can find a way to change the culture, all the better!!!Get it done Bergy!!!

Well, the good news lost in all of this Habs suckitude is that I am going on a cruise on Friday and won’t be able to watch this for about 10 days. I am actually looking forward to a mental break from what is supposed to be the most storied franchise in hockey.

There is nothing to even say anymore about them. They are just… sad.

63. munch17jr says:

I’m sick of hearing how the Desharnais line played well. Since DD regained the “#1″ center spot, our PP has tanked, and we’ve won something like 4 games in regulation in our last 19. Even if that line plays “well,” they don’t play well enough to be a top line on a winning team. Why the hell is Eller playing left wing yet every year we sit and whine about finding a big center? As long as DD occupying top 6 center spot, we will be a bad team.

64. jimmy shaker says:

Should I even waste my time going to the Joe on Friday to watch these bums? And actually pay to see it? My only desire to go is to see PK, so I may just end up there!

Shaker out!

65. habstrinifan says:

Just got back in from NAC here in Ottawa. Saw the play WARHORSE.

It wasnt great but I bet I enjoyed the night better than lots of you.

Man WTF happened?

Edit: How can people honestly think MT has the confidence of his players.

66. monmick says:

Well… I’m back off the wagon…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

67. habs001 says:

Reality..How many teams in the NHL would have all 4 of Gorges,Cube,Murray and Diaz on their roster?… Gion,Briere and Bourque cannot compete consistently with most other teams younger,faster and stronger players…If you go thru this teams entire roster player by player it is a very average lineup that is elevated by many posters who think some of the players are better than they really are…

68. jimmy shaker says:

Mayday, mayday, mayday…..we r going down, I repeat we r going down!

Shaker out!

69. Habs1962 says:

alot of guys not putting pucks in the net !
    too long of a list to name.
    When we aren’t defending very well.. we need some guys to bury some pucks !!

70. jols101 says:

No matter how bad it gets you never fail to pump up your favorite little chez nous- Daveed Desharnais. Just toeing the company line hey Boone.

• scotland says:

they never scored a goal. but the line played great eh? lol

how expectations have dropped for this team.

boone thinks because they were better than the other 3 lines that they played good. when fact is….all four lines played poorly. gave team no chance to win.

always here it said goalie gave team chance to win….or goalie did not give team chance to win.

well the montreal forwards did not give the team a chance to win……all 12 of them.

71. NCRhabsfan says:

I”m not fond of the term tank, but there is something to be said for taking a strategic view of things. There is, and always has been, something flawed about this version of the Habs. Too many small ineffectual forwards, too many small and ineffectual defence men. The strategic view would have MB trade veterans for prospects and picks at the deadline. To the extent possible give away salary cap thieves and replace them during free agency next summer if something worthwhile appears on the radar screen. And get a coach that is all about player development. Assure him his job is safe and build towards a competitive future two to three years out. The Habs have some excellent prospects on the blue line, they need to build more potential top 9 forwards. Take the strategic view!

• scotland says:

name these “excellant prospects”

if you are talking about the 3 in hamilton….drop the “excellant”
      i live 15 minute stroll down to the bulldogs games. beulieu is the best of the three and most talented. tinordi is nowhere near the player his dad was. and on a side note he has stopped fighting. (for good reason) patern is solid but nothing to write home about.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

We should have tanked last season as well. I hope this team goes straight into the toilet, MT gets fired and we draft Aaron Ekblad or Sam Reinhart. Too many old legs on this team its time to shed players like Gionta and Bourque and win or lose with the kids on the farm.

72. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Fourth! Habsucked ce soir!

73. Eddie says:

Hard work + confidence = success.

74. GL says:

Any of the top 9-players who has played 50 games with less than 12 goals don’t belong on this team!!

75. jimmy shaker says: