About last night …

Nattinen

Encouraged by the success of its Brendan Gallagher promotion, McDonald’s is introducing the Joonas Nättinen Trio:
One French fry, a glass of water and a bus ticket to Hamilton.
Bada-boom!
Hey, you’ve been a great audience.
We’re here till the playoffs start.
Try the veal.

Well, I guess Saturday night’s game taught Rene Bourque a lesson.

Coaches always talk about the importance of internal competition.

From his seat in the Air Canada pressbox, Bourque got to watch Nättinen play two first-period shifts. During his 1:45 of ice time, the Bulldogs call-up lost two faceoffs and spent the rest of the game on the bench.

The Finnish kid must have envied George Parros, who got to play four shifts and had 3 minutes of ToI.

And Bourque is thinking: “This is the kind of depth we have in the organization? Get the KY ready. I’ll be corking the Corgi until my contract runs out in 2016.”

What a difference a week makes, eh?

Last Saturday, Bourque played 13:31, had two shots and four hits as he and his teammates beat the Stanley Cup champions in the Game of the Season at the Bell Centre.

Three days later, the Canadiens were terrible in a loss to New Jersey. Then they stole two points in Ottawa before losing in Toronto, with Bourque and Nättinen looking on.

Carey Price has given up eight goals in two games … and if it weren’t for him, the Senators and Leafs would have scored 15.

Which is what the Penguins and Red Wings might total in the week ahead.

In his postgame remarks, Michel Therrien said “individual errors” cost the Canadiens the game at the ACC; and that was certainly true on the winning goal.

The puck hopped over Andrei Markov’s stick, which can happen – but maybe not in a 3-3 game.

Then as Tyler Bozak wheeled past Markov and toward the Canadiens’ net, Alexei Emelin took a quick look toward the middle of the ice and surmised that Max Pacioretty would be staying with James Van Riemsdyk.

Wrong.

Emelin was soft on Bozak’s diagonal pass, Pacioretty let JVR skate to the open side of the net and Bingo! That was the ballgame.

Therrien praised a “good effort” in which his team battled back from 1-0 and 3-1 deficits.

Anyone care to join the coach in a round of glasses half-full?

From where I’m sitting, the Canadiens have played mostly crap hockey since the siren sounded on the Chicago game. And the suckitude is not a recent phenomenon.

From Nov. 10 to Dec. 7, the Canadiens took points in 13 of 14 games. Their only loss in regulation was a 1-0 squeaker against the Rangers at the Bell Centre.

Since then, they’ve been a mediocre hockey team that’s managed only one pair of consecutive wins, in Nashville and Tampa Bay on either side of Christmas Day.

Fearless prediction: If the Canadiens continue to play this way, their season will end on April 12, when the Rangers visit the Bell Centre for Game 82.

The same problems persist in game after game.

The Canadiens can’t score at even strength.

Defence is an adventure and clearing their zone is a challenge unless P.K. Subban is on the ice.

When the opponents are cruising unimpeded through the neutral zone, gaps between the Canadiens’ forwards and defencemen are too large.

Back pressure is non-existent.

There is only one consistently dangerous forward line: David Desharnais centring Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher.

For the rest, the coach keeps trying different combinations with little success.

McDonald’s would introduce a Michel Therrien Trio, but they don’t know whether it should include one burger, two burgers, a chicken filet, chicken fingers, fries, a salad or soup.

The coach has some decisions to make with his defence corps.

P.K. Subban played over 30 minutes against the Leafs. Markov’s ToI was 27:50.

Therrien had to play them half to death because Emelin struggled, again, and Josh Gorges – for all his hollering on 24CH – is not a Top Four defenceman on a good hockey team.

I liked what I saw of Nathan Beaulieu. Great wheels, accurate shot. A few screw-ups, but that’ll happen with a young defenceman.

Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn are – in contrast to poor Nättinen and the other Bulldogs forwards – bona-fide NHL prospects. Maybe the future should be now.

A beer, a shot and an antidepressant.

•  •  •

Nathan Beaulieu and Joonas Nättinen were sent back to Hamilton after the game.

1. careysubban3176 says:

I really don’t understand why you guys on here and especially Mr. Boone don’t like Don Cherry. Personally I like him. And he’s 100℅ right about P.K. He is a great player like Cherry says (heck he even endorsed him for team Canada) but there was no need for that excessive celebration especially after that lackluster performance they but on in Ottawa. They should have just all went over to Price, gave him a pat on the back and went straight to the locker room. All that did was give Ottawa a reason to stick it to the Habs their next game.

• Captain aHab says:

This is silly…are fist pumps OK or too demonstrative? After scoring a goal, should the Habs weep openly to show the other team they are sorry so as to not rile them up for the next game? I guess Ovechkin should stop jumping on the Boards after every frickin goal too, right?

Anderson needs to grow a pair..he sucked that game and got shown up by Price….should Price have let in a few more to not bruise Anderson’s feelings? I guess it’ll give bulletin board fodder for the next game: Price showed me up…go get him guys.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Captain aHab says:

Even Spezza’s opinion was “who cares?”

If Subban was in TO or Boston, Cherry would call it playing with pride and tell people to get off his case.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Good morning cs3176.
      Don’t have the energy to list why I don’t like Cherry. I don’t watch him any more, you do. Choice is great, eh?
      About the celebration, I disagree. I think it was both spontaneous and innocuous — if you or I were booed all night and then scored the gamewinner in OT, we’d go nuts. Furthermore, that’s why we watch. We project ourselves onto that ice and it’s really us out there. If you took all the emotion out of the game, so that it was more like watching a high-speed tax audit, we wouldn’t recognise it and we’d stop watching.

• careysubban3176 says:

I personally don’t mind the celebration itself but the timing was terrible because it was a game where the ONLY player that deserved to celebrate was Price and that’s it.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Perhaps tactically you’re correct. But only if you completely ignore human nature. Did you ever score a game-ending goal or basket or touchdown or interception or QB sack or homerun yourself? If you did, did you run through a list of pros and cons before deciding whether or not it would be advisable to celebrate?

(Is it me who’s “blaming the goaltender”? I don’t follow!)

• careysubban3176 says:

Let me ask this question then? If anyone from Toronto did what PK did at the Bell Centre, wouldn’t we as fans boo the crap out of him the next game. If your answer is yes then wouldn’t you think the players and coaching staff definitely notice that too.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• careysubban3176 says:

As for “blaming the goaltender” that’s what my old hockey coach told our team after we lost 2-1. I was the goalie and I let in a little softy and my teammates gave me the cold shoulder afterward and then the coach noticed and shouted out that little quote and a lot more that would be censored on 24CH

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The timing was perfect. They snatched victory from the jaws of defeat after playing terribly. It was emotional. My own emotion was to laugh at the absurdity of them winning this game. My point is that emotion spilled over for all of us. He scores a lot of goal after which he does not celebrate like this. This was a unique moment. Price got his share of appreciation as half the team went to him and the other half to PK. And I am sure they all congratulated Price shortly thereafter.

When I watched that game from my couch I raised my arms on the goal, jumped up and down, couldn’t believe we won the game. I was that exuberant, I can only imagine how excited PK and his teammates were.

Yes lets not be happy…… The team stole two points, the purpose of the game is to get two points, they accomplished that (be it ugly) thus the joy.

He didn’t raise his arms and point his thumbs at the name on the back of his jersey like that idiot NFL receiver last weekend. He pulled on his TEAMS crest. I am fine with it, and this doesn’t happen every win, it was an emotional game and emotions come out from time to time.

As for the Fossil Cherry, who cares……

2. boing007 says:

Mediocrity is the new standard for excellence.

Richard R

3. mcmikel says:

I’m usually quick to stating we need to trade and get serious about making a cup run this year. After last night, I now want to stock up on draft picks. What would Bourque and Eller fetch as a packaged deal? A couple of third-rounders? Diaz? A fifth?

They’re frustrating and almost unwatchable. Times like this make me wish I did not care. Yeah, no post-season this year…

• Captain aHab says:

With the Habs not seemingly that close to competing seriously for a Cup, I still maintain the asset to trade is Pleks. He’ll fetch quite a bit and it’ll give guys like Eller and Galchenyuk space to grow.

Would it hurt short term? Absolutely. But maybe Pleks plus something might bring back a young scoring winger with size.

Unfortunately, I am really expecting a trade to bring in yet another aging player to get us to the playoffs. If this is what gets done, then I will lose hope for this team. It would show beyond a doubt that playoff revenue trumps anything else.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Old Bald Bird says:

“Eller was anything but bad early in the year before his line was sacrificed to get DD and Brière to wake up…wouldn’t give up on him yet.”

It’s too bad but there are so few quality players to go around that I think Eller has been the one who has been sacrificed.

• gauver says:

bad idea to trade Plekanec. we have no one to replace him. trade DD if we can and replace him with Galchenyuk when he returns

• Captain aHab says:

Sure but we’ll get nothing for DD…how does getting nothing potentially help us in 3 years when Pleks isn’t as good anymore?

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

4. boing007 says:

Two shifts for Nattinen? That’ll teach Rene Bourque a lesson.

Richard R

5. JohnBellyful says:

Some posters have noted that the team under Therrien is not unlike the one Martin
    coached, in terms of frustrating its rabid supporters.
    The similarity might be more than many fans realize, as the following report, filed in November 2010, demonstrates, keeping in mind, as was pointed out yesterda, the Canadiens have been operating at a .500 clip for more than a month, alternating wins and losses.
    It could all be part of “a grand design” to make the playoffs with momentum.

Submitted by JohnBellyful on Sun, 11/28/2010 – 09:57 AM.

Heuters, the news agency, explains the current six game win/lose streak of the Canadiens …

MONTREAL – A six-game streak of alternating wins and losses is not a sign of a Montreal Canadiens team in trouble but part of a grand design to enter the playoffs on a roll, says coach Jacques Martin.
    “Lose-win-lose-win-lose-win – that’s what I asked the boys to do and they’ve come through with flying colours,” Martin told reporters following the team’s 3-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres Saturday night.
    Martin said if the team continues to play .500 hockey the rest of the season – as planned – it will finish with 89 points. That’s likely not good enough to ensure a playoff spot so Martin and his coaching staff have instructed the players to break the pattern at the very end and win the last four games on the schedule, to reach 93 points, and have momentum on their side entering the post-season.
    Martin admitted it’s a risky plan but he explained – five times – there was method in his madness.
    “Those games we have pencilled in as losses will allow us to experiment, and not have to worry about winning, which can be bit of a distraction,” Martin said.
    The experimenting would include sitting Scott Gomez, having Hal Gill wave his hands in front of the goaltender during power plays – “their goalie, our power plays,” Martin quickly clarified – and painting a huge eye on the fronts of players’ helmets to intimidate the opposition.
    “Scarify ‘em,” he said, slipping into a Southern accent for some reason.
    Martin said his bipolar win-lose system is a “win-win” for the team. The Habs win every other game while simultaneously morphing into a squad that other teams won’t be able to prepare for in the playoffs, not knowing what to expect.
    Now that the players have bought into his system, with all proceeds going to local charities, Martin said he will begin his experimenting Wednesday – loss No. 4 in the new scheme — against the visiting Oilers by having the Canadiens wear the Oilers’ home uniforms.
    “I might even juggle the lines,” he said, before having second thoughts. “Nah, too much of a gamble. The guys would never develop any chemistry if I did that.”
    By the end of the press conference, Martin had won over even his harshest critics in the media with his novel approach.
    “It’s not half-bad,” said one.
    “But it is,” pointed out another, “– but also half-good.”
    Martin even provided the scores for the team’s next three games: Edmonton 3 Montreal 2, Montreal 2 New Jersey 0, and San Jose 3 Montreal 1.

• habstrinifan says:

I have to call you on even hinting about JM taking on Redneck attributes.

Haberdashery I say! Haberdashery! The Count is always resplendently Goth.

6. boing007 says:

‘Because unless something changes soon, we could see the launch of a Habs Fan Trio:

A beer, a shot and an antidepressant.’

Valium, anyone?

Richard R

Mourning folks, yes I’m in mourning here. May need a part time job to get some shekels together before I head to the Pub to pay off my wagers today.

I am sure the bad things have been high lighted already, so I will talk about what positives I saw at the game. But first I have to talk about the Tomb in which I was at to watch the game.

The ACC in Toronto does not have hockey electricity in it like we are spoiled to have in Montreal. While there were many Habs shirts present, the building is dead quiet, the sight lines are not good for hockey (one has to remember the built was designed and built by the Raptors organization and then during the building of it Leafs/Raptors became one organization). As a result the building just doesn’t have great hockey sight lines from many seats. Buffalo just up the road is a much better building to watch a hockey game in.

I tried to focus on Nattinen on Beaulieu. The scouting report on Joonas is that he seems polite to his teammates on the bench. Okay on to Beaulieu, wow the kid can skate and I think he is part of our future. No doubt lots of little mistakes, I can’t help but think many of them were nerves and also having to re-adjust to the NHL. A few times he skated with the puck and probably thought it would get him out of trouble as he can do in the AHL, but you can’t do that as much at the NHL level.

I would be completely fine with him remaining up for the rest of the season, and perhaps have either Pateryn or Tinordi get called up also. Gorges got pounded into the boards again all night, and I just didn’t really see much out of Frankie B. This team is so reliant on PK and Markov right now it isn’t funny.

I actually thought it looked like we dressed only 3 dmen, PK, Markov and Beaulieu as they are the only 3 that know how to deal with a puck on their stick.

I thought Danny Briere had a pretty good game, still does lots of small things on many plays that are hard to see on TV, problem is the team is still completely perimeter in its play in the offensive end.

Sadly we may as well dress Bourque or perhaps call up Leblanc and let him play. That callup of Nattinen was a complete waste of time for our trainer having to sew a new jersey nameplate on.

Oh well, I will face a barrage of attacks this afternoon, I’m ready for it, the game put me in a sour mood.

CHeers everyone.

• Kooch7800 says:

What scares me Burly is how bad Emelin has played lately. He is a huge liability. He needs to get benched again. He obviously has not gotten his rhythm back from the injury.
      E
      I do hope that we move out some at the deadline for picks and let the kids come up. Diaz, the cube and Gorges should all be traceable assets. Pk and Markov need to be together out there for the rest of the year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for the report, Burly. Just say the word and we can pass the hat around. Hope you had a good night regardless – no doubt you did.

I also thought Briere was better — you noticed him, he was involved. But that’s hardly a ringing endorsement (or the scouting report on Nattinen which you provide!).

Because you were there you wouldn’t have heard CBC Hughson describing Briere absolutely burning a Leaf D from the red line in. Whoa, I said watching my blurry live-stream, who said Briere has lost a step?

Well, Hughson, it wasn’t Briere, it was Bournival. I at least had a blurry feed — what was his excuse?!

• aroma says:

I thought Beaulieu played better than Emelin. Emelin’s play has really begun to hurt the team.

Beaulieu despite some mishandles of the puck looked good in my opinion. I think he HAS to stay up. I am very hopeful the Olympics will be good for Emelin. I still believe in him long term, but we all know about the long injury rehab, missing training camp, getting mentally confident that his leg is okay etc. etc… For now we will see struggles, but I am very confident he will be strong for us long term. But no doubt he is struggling.

• habstrinifan says:

Nice post!
      ” The scouting report on Joonas is that he seems polite to his teammates on the bench.”
      I see you have as much time for Nattinen as did Therrien…. maybe more.

Can’t help you with your losses. Besides poverty becomes you! But you will have to move out of Burlington, which I remember as pretty upscale.

• mrhabby says:

Have been to games at ACC and it has great sightline for hockey….a tomb yes.

I’ve been to many games there, perhaps my seats weren’t that good then. Because my sightlines were not good, and I was first row in the Blues, 130bucks face value. When I go to Montreal or Buffalo I can get better sightlines from worse seats, in my opinion.

8. Dunboyne Mike says:

The understanding of the term “enforcer” I had years ago was of a large, dangerous and pugilistic player who would “enforce” behaviour on opposing players wherever the officials were failing to do so. (Ok, that was only part of it). It seems nowadays that enforcers only ever dance with each other, send each other apologetic text messages after, and are accumulating experiences to chat amicably about with each other on couches with chat-show hosts after they retire.

I love and played contact sports, and I love tough physical hockey, but I am not in favour of violence. However, when I see Nazeem Kadri cross-checking Pleks in the back of the head, repeatedly, when he’s already on all fours, and in full view of the referee who decides that this is a good time to override the rules and all that they were put in place for, above all player safety, what I want my enforcer to do is grab Kadri with both hands by the nostrils and scrotum and fling him up into the reds.

• boing007 says:

What a way to show Plekanec how much the team respects him.

Richard R

• habstrinifan says:

And that is why I question the true ‘togertheness’ of this team.

I remember Larry Robinson, who really didnt like fighting or Gainey or even Savard… would skate by the melee, grab the offending player, toss him, aside as you said, and skate away imperiously.

And you know what.. the opposition player understood!

9. John Q Public says:

Is the Tank full ?
    Did TO expose our Cracks ?
    Emelin, the contract curse ?

Too many questions, not enough time.

10. habstrinifan says:

This is silly I know!
    On my “you might also like” I have a picture of Cunneyworth behind the bench under the caption “season winds down for the Canadiens”.

Man why do all recent HABS coaches look so aggrieved behind the bench?

I could do with the smile of Carbonneau, or the fire of Jacques Demers, or especially the incredibly re-assuring stature of Larry Robinson.

Watching recent HABS coaches behind the bench is like fingernails on a blackboard. Unbearable.

11. kalevine says:

I don’t see how playing on his wrong side or having problems pivoting would explain why, when he is positioned perfectly against the defender, he goes for the puck instead of hitting them. It happened twice. And Markov is the wrong defense partner for emelin. The formula is , Markov pinches, a 2 on 1 comes back the other way and emelin plays it perfectly… For the opponent

12. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!

Not such a bad game last night, and I don’t join Boone in his negativity. We’ve improved our play since Tuesday and Thursday’s games, and I’m extremely happy that Bourque sat out, regardless of how much time his ‘replacement’ (not really his replacement at all) played.

Any time in the press-box for Bourque is good at this stage.

We’re playing exactly .500 hockey, and have been since Dec. 14, and now that we’ve (re-)found out how to score goals, we can focus on tightening up defensively.

I am confident we can do it!

Get the negativity out, people. It’s no fun.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cal, this guy needs a Cal-special on that OTHER Monty Python hit song from the final scene of “Brian”!

• Mavid says:

yep

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• rjcp says:

I don’t think it’s fair to term it “negativity” when a lot of the messages from posters are consistently concluding the same thing. Maybe “concern” is a more accurate description to which I would be curious as to your response then. Also, this game was against Toronto for God’s sake, some of us have to endure their fans daily, so “frustration” could be another term. As we all realize, .500 hockey from this point on = no playoffs. If the glass is half full, why fill it eh? I do tend to agree with you though, patience and positivity, BUT only if I can see some evidence that changes are coming, and right now I don’t, so excuse me for being concerned.

13. third generation haber says:

Trade this guy, trade that guy. The only guys we can trade are players that other GM’s want; not Bourque and Gio!

We should trade one of my favorite players; Markov. I know, it would suck, he’s great! But, he has huge value now, and won’t by the time that we are cup contenders.

If we’re serious about winning a cup someday, we need to get a stud from the 2011 draft in exchange for Markov. Let’s commit to a full re-build, not just through the draft, but through trades and modest free-agent acquisitions.

Let’s get extremely tough and extremely talented!

j.p. murray

14. Puckdoc says:

The Habs are simply playing up to their true level lately. This is a mediocre hockey team with lots of holes in the lineup that can occasionally get hot or play a gem like vs the Blackhawks but the reality is this is a team designed to battle for a playoff spot. As the games get tighter and more intense our lack of ES scoring and Poor defensive mobility becomes more evident. Habs will finish season between 6-12 like most seasons.

• third generation haber says:

I strongly agree!
      I think we have above mediocre talent, but far below mediocre team toughness. I would like us to finish 8th this year because no match-ups are going to enable us to endure a cup run; we don’t have a prayer. The draft position will be much more important; last year we drafted 25th, but the 20th draft pick (to Detroit) was Anthony Mantha….. sigh………

j.p. murray

15. HabFab says:

IMHO the biggest problem facing the Habs is 24CH. Hockey players distracted while performing for a TV Realty show, while some fans and media attempt to make it until a soap opera… way too many distractions there!

Sports is 90% mental…….

16. Cal says:

If Emelin plays the man instead of fishing for the puck, goal #1 doesn’t happen. If the puck doesn’t hop over Markov’s stick goal #4 doesn’t happen.
    Little mistakes mean a lot, especially after the 45th game of the season, when the intensity gets ramped up.
    Habs management called up Naatinen. MT played him for two shifts. What an a-hole. Why dress him at all if you’re going to nail his arse to the bench? Beaulieu got played. Even after that ill-considered rush when he knew PK had been on the ice for over two minutes and was heading to the bench. He got 19 shifts.
    So, lets pull out the “excuses” list.
    The flu.
    There, MT is exonerated. NOT!

Hi Cal, and I agree.
      MT’s boss, so of course he’s entitled to nail the kid’s arse to the pine. But was it productive or positive? Will Naatinen win those face-offs next time because of it? Will the other players feel more or less committed to MT having witnessed that? More or less respectful? Fearful?

I expressed a wish below that someone very familiar with the mechanics of farm and club would come up with a scenario in which what MT did was ok.

17. habstrinifan says:

CH MarshallJANUARY 19, 2014 AT 1:33 AM:

Extrapolating and finding the genius in why MT did not play the Finnish kid.

” not only are we sending a message to Nattinen, we’re also sending it to Leblanc”
    ———————————————-

I cant remember a HABS management team so occupied with sending messages like MB,MT and their predecessors JM and PG.

I am just a plain basement-idiot who knocks over his beer onto his pizza slice and wipes it with the same blanket I curled up under and slept Al Bundy style after last night’s game.

You know me! I’m too dense to extrapolate before bedtime. Heck at my age I am lucky if I can defecate.

So I just said MT doesnt like Finns and went to sleep.

18. Odie Cleghorn says:

Our defencemen appear to be unable to: (a) handle the puck in our zone while being pressured, (b) make a clean, crisp, and accurate first pass, (c) establish and maintain a defensive position on forwards who are crowding the goalies, and (d) anticipate where the play is “going to be” as the opposition sets up in the zone. In other words, at times, they appear to have no idea of what to do. Eerily similar to the style of “defensive” play demonstrated by their coach and mentor, J.J. Dangerous when he toiled for the Habs years ago. And to think that we couldn’t return Larry Robinson’s phone call when we were looking for someone to mentor our young defencemen. Pity.

• FlyAngler says:

Good stuff Cleghorn, but not just pitiful, also PATHETIC!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• wjc says:

Larry Robinson, very wisely said “NOT INTERESTED”. You would be attacking him for the exact things you are attacking J.J. for. They can lead the horse to water but they can’t drink for them.

Defense is a hard position to learn and until instinct takes over (doing things automatically) you will struggle with the speed of the game.

wjc

• Odie Cleghorn says:

The difference being that the players would listen to and respect Robinson’s perspective and teaching on how to play the position. Robinson has one thing that our current person doesn’t – credibility that comes with being a winner.

19. FlyAngler says:

“Corking the Corgi”- Thanks Mr. Boone, I needed a good laugh after last night’s performance.
    IMO your analysis is spot on especially as regards Beaulieu. The kid seems to see the ice extremely well and appears to have excellent puck handling skill something that right now only P K and Markov have for us on the backend.
    I agree with the posters below who opine that it is time to overhaul the D. Bring up Pateryn, keep Beaulieu in the lineup use Emelin more judiciously until it is clear that he is back to form and rotate Murray, Diaz and Bouillion in the 6th slot until you can trade or otherwise get rid or one or more of them. Bouillon’s liability over the course of his career has been his size. Now he is too old and too slow as well, and it showed last night on the Leafs first goal when his man beat him to the net and scored the game’s first goal. Of the aforementioned three, I like Murray the best, because at least he pummels some opposition players at times. Anyway, I am going to try to stay positive but am hoping that Therrien will stop whistling past the graveyard, because if he doesn’t, that’s where this team is going to be in April.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Personally I like positive, so you should post more, Flyangler. You should post during Liveblogs!

(I also like Murray best of the three).

• FlyAngler says:

Thanks, Mike. I sometimes post during liveblogs but am generally either too nervous to or too pissed about what is happening on the ice.
        I do think that criticism needs to be constructive…what is frustrating is that the brain trust seems unwilling or unable to make the adjustments that anyone with even a little bit of hockey sense knows need to be made.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• 86ontheice says:

Flyangler….where do you live and flyangle?

• FlyAngler says:

Live in the Boston area (Loathe the Bruins- obviously) and fish the Miramichi in the Spring and Summer- keeps me half sane some of the time.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

20. wjc says:

My problem and maybe it is a strength, is that I look at games objectively.

I enjoyed last nights game, I was routing for the Canadiens but when they fell short I still felt I had a good nights entertainment.

I think what makes me objective is my perception of how hard it is to build a ‘winner’. 30 teams all working for the same thing. Drafting in order and perhaps missing the player/players you want.

Getting the player you want and waiting for him to mature or watching him become a dud.

You look at the successful teams and realize that it took time, lots of time to become who they are.

Over the last 25 years Detroit is the dynasty winning 4 times, followed by Pittsburgh 3, New Jersey 2, Colorado 2 and recently Chicago 2

Five teams have won more then once.

14 teams have not won in the last 25 years.

How hard is it to win it all, I would say very hard. Coaches who have a team they win with and do not repeat. Why is that? Is there not a magic formula that once you discover it you can repeat.

Doesn’t work that way, in hockey, unless you finish badly you do not get a top 10 pick, so you need failure to succeed in most cases.

If you get the guy you want you wait until he develops and that may not happen the way you envision it. So you trade and they may or may not work because of injury, age, or loss of confidence

Fans get restless, owners have to act, management, coaches are fired, recycled because they are still good at what they do.

New people come in with a fresh slate and are give so much time to make something happen. If you go the slow draft route, you may not survived, but that is already known going in. This is not fair, but it is excepted practice. The new people do they tear it all down and start again, more time, or do they build on what is there, less time.

Free agents are signed, and most are happy, but it is another crap shoot. If it does not work out, who is hanged for the failure?

Nobody plans to fail, and sometimes you have to fail to succeed. To the fan every loss is taken personally, to the coach he knows it is a process and dues have to be paid. He makes good money so if he is honorable he tries to put the organization in a better position then it was when he leaves (Gainey, Gautier…my personal opinion).

Other teams realize this and they are hired, if this were not the case they would never be hired again for anything.

Winning is hard, harder then you can imagine….sorry for the rant.

wjc

21. russ2445 says:

A couple of things about last night , did we see the Toronto pulling on the front of his sweater? I would say the coach has lost the team. The Habs are in free fall. That’s all folks.

Russell Fielding

• wjc says:

Yes Russ, I saw that grab of the logo, but the players surrounded him in the usual scoring huddle so it was very short.

The message as far a I am concerned was a little rubbing it in. As in ‘how do you like it P.K.’….That was Cherry’s point, don’t give the other team motivation. No evidence the coach has lost the team, the Habs lost a game, hockey goes in cycles…cannot win, cannot lose…one game can change all that.

wjc

22. habstrinifan says:

Exchange between Dunboyne and Old Bard:
    =============================
    Dunboyne:
    Good morning Adadi.
    Was making the playoffs the Club’s main objective for this season? Or was it more of a bonus?

Like you, I will hate it if we don’t make it, but I’m not sure there was ever any strong sense that we would. Hopefully PK hasn’t been basing his stay-or-go plans on the outcome of the 2013-2014 season. What do you think?
    —————-
    Old Bald BirdJANUARY 19, 2014 AT 7:07 AM.
    If it’s not the objective, then a better development plan is in order. Play Bournival more, keep Beaulieu in, bring up LL for once and for all so that a proper decision can be made for the future.

Edit: Oh … and put Galchy at centre now if that’s the plan for the future.
    ===========================================

Sometimes one person in a meeting room makes an unassailable and sound presentation. Note I did not say argument or point. It is more like a conceptual blueprint which stops all need for further courteous but digressive tossing around of ideas.
    Close the meeting, walk over to his side of the table and shake his/her hand.

And if you are in charge of the future, you tell everyone to make their people available to his/her people.. so the job can get started.

Dunboyne, if you are a stand up fellow, which I absolutely believe you are, then you will say case closed and give Old Bard a handshake and get MB and Therrien to make their people available.

• Captain aHab says:

Yeah but then Geoff comes in and says: I’d really like to have at least a few playoff games at home at $2M each in revenue and the whole plan goes out the door.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• wjc says:

More then 2 million by the way, and of course Molsen wants playoff revenue, this is a business after all. Who knows they may sneak past in the first round then and then, and then….who knows?

wjc

Bang on, Trini.
      I’m sure I’m not anything like as much of a stand up fellow as you believe, but I did in fact already walk around the table at 8.12 below and, after some pedantic digressive tossing about the abuse of the word compete, offer the virtual hand to OBB. Because there can be no argument.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I can’t stop blushing. ;)

23. theflower says:

I have to ask, am I the only one who notices that every team that calls up a guy from the minors plays them in the game they are called up for except MT? Isn’t that why you call them up?

Am I the only one who notices that Maclean uses Karlsson the way we would could only wish MT would use PK?

Am I the only one who thinks this idea that we are a grinding team according to MT is NOT what we are?

Am I the only one who thinks Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu should be playing in Montreal and that Emelin should be playing LD on the third pairing? In his actual position?

I could go on asking more questions, but it seems with MT all I do is ask questions.

So here is a coach to me who seems completely lost out there.

Finally am I the only one who is still wondering what kind of team we actually are????? I mean if MT knew what kind of team we are maybe then we could play to those strengths, but I ask any of you to tell me what kind of team we are????

Halfway through the season I have no idea at all!!! It seems MT doesn’t either.

Is that a recipe for success?

I’ll take any thoughts on this haha:)

24. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. Missed the game so I’ll reserve comment on the play but looking at the toi it appears we just play 3 lines. Parros 3 min, Nattien, 1:48, and Moen 6:48. Kind of weird isn’t it?

CHeers all.

25. jeffhabfan says:

Tough loss Last night but just have to bounce back next game. What is weird is we have scored a bit recently but we are way to loose on defence giving up to many goals lately.

26. Arrow77 says:

Emelin is struggling on the right and our third pairing left defenseman is usually either Murray or Bouillon. There is absolutely NO reason why Emelin shouldn’t replace them at that spot since this is where he belongs. Call up Pateryn to play right D and our defense should be much better than it is now in just a few games.

A lot of people are saying that we’re not really a top 4 team, that we should be fighting for a playoff spot instead. I’m sorry but I don’t buy that. The coaching has been absolutely atrocious and most of our players have been playing at the minimum of their talent for a while now. Put anyone behind the bench that has a plan and a minimum of organization and you’d realize we have a much better team than what we have shown lately.

• BJ says:

Agreed on Pateryn, he’s been the most consistent D in Hamilton this season. Bergevin needs to find a way to get rid of Diaz and Gorges. Keep Beaulieu here as well as Pateryn. Thats part of the problem on this team, too many players not fitting in the right places.

• rhino514 says:

I´m not sure how much of it is Emelin playing on his wrong side or the fact he has come back from an injur where players often are not themselves until one season after returning to action.
      In any case, the team needs to find out fast if either Beaulieu and Pateryn can fill a third pairing hole, otherwise they need to go out and get a Dman, even if it´s a rental with a reasonable cost. Bouillon actually plays decently when rested (he was key on the second goal last night) but both Diaz and Murray, each in a different way, are liabilities to complement the third pairing. They also have to hope Emelin gradually finds some more consistencey, of courseI think if the team stabilizes its defensive situation they will go back to playing good, consistent hockey.

• Arrow77 says:

The way I see it, both changing sides and seeing less ice time would help. He’s not playing well enough to have more ice time anyway and if he needs to get up to speed, having less responsibilities would help.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree with rhino re Emelin’s injury.

We hardly need to have this proved to us: it had just happened with Markov.

However, I don’t know enough to be able to disagree with the contention that the side he plays is a big factor.

27. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning! Hey! Didnt you hear me?. I said Good Morning!

28. HabFab says:

Prospects did well last night. Hudon and Vail with 3 points each while Crisp, Bozon and MacMillian had 2 points each.

29. HabFab says:

Jack Todd on twitter last night after Coach’s Corner;

Jack Todd – So the guy who goes through life dressed like an explosion in a paint factory is ripping P.K. Subban for being too flamboyant?

30. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

It appears there are numerous folks calling out Emelin which is unfair at best.

Here’s a guy that came off major knee reconstruction that many point out was somewhat caused by him playing on his unnatural side – a left handed Dman playing the right side.

Anyone that has played D at a competitive level knows how difficult that can be.
    Everything from how the play ‘looks’ to movement and pivoting that is unnatural along with puck movement.

After several months out, Emelin comes back and is again put on the wrong side.
    His knee flexibilty and movement don’t appear anywhere close to 100%, and Emelin is put into a position of failure because the Habs have only their top Dman as a righty followed by a fringe other 6-7 right Dman.

A team may get away with that on a 3rd pairing D playing against the bottom 6 of the other team, yet playing on the Top 4 against the other team’s best can be a bad recipe as Kadri proved last night.

Blame the situation on whom you wish, yet Emelin himself should be way down that list

Hello in NS.
      That’s what I keep thinking about Emelin, only worse. To me it seems like lunacy to have brought him back: he is so clearly not ready. And exactly as you say, he is put into a position of failure.

He’s not helping the team, and he can’t be helping himself, constantly underperforming. Does MT need a sports psychologist?

Doesn’t the NFL have a category Long Term Unable to Perform? I don’t know, is there a difference between that and Long Term Injured Reserve? Does Emelin need a status along those lines? I’d rather have him stay in the gym, watching tape and helping out with D coaching in Hamilton than playing at 50%, looking bad in games, and losing his self-assurance.

31. Bob_Sacamano says:

People are being concerned with Emelin really make me laugh. I´m more concerned with a coaching staff that keeps a struggling LD on the right and in a role too big for him now. He´d be fine as a LD on the third pair with Diaz or Pateryn.

32. CJ says:

Regarding Emelin, I need to relax a bit. I’ve been very critical of his play, however I firmly believe there is an Olympic effect taking place.

I do appreciate that this comment is a generalization, but some (I repeat some) international players regard an Olympic gold medal as hockey’s pinnacle, not the Stanley Cup. The young man has a chance to play in his home country with legit chance to win this prize. As a result, I think he is coasting in an effort to ensure that he is 100 percent for the Olympic tournament. I think we will see a spike in his play. It’s not that he doesn’t recognize, it’s that he’s lacking that killer instinct and compete level that has cost him puck battles. In any event, this is just my crazy theory. I believe we will see a much better player upon his return from the Olympic break, which will help to solidify our defence corps.

33. Old Bald Bird says:

Good morning. A few pithy thoughts.

(1) In MT’s defence, and dog knows he needs one, he only has half a team to tinker with. There is weakness all around on both F and D. This may be the worst team in the league right now. All of MT’s line changes are him furiously switching the chairs on the Titanic. The ship still sinks.

(2) That said, I think his days should be numbered.

(3) If PK could play the whole game, it would help. Love this guy and his level of competitiveness (or “compete” as we say now).

(4) Markov has been much less impressive since he split with PK. PK is still pretty darn impressive.

(5) I would still keep Markov for a few more years.

(6) Beaulieu has talent. Play him, and at least get him ready for next year when one of the other D’s can be added to the mix.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning my aged, follicularly challenged avian friend.

I agree with everything except one thing. Some of us will never use ‘compete’ as a noun. I love that you said “competitiveness” first!

MT’s days should be numbered only when a better successor is identified and secured. As frequently noted here, the eligible pool is small. (Can of worms!)

Also agree with you below that, if the Club is accepting that this is not a serious playoff year, then a much better development plan is required. Perhaps even coach and gm are struggling with head-and-heart to the extent that they are too conflicted to choose between modest playoff showing this year and genuine development this year and next.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I think a can of worms would do a better job coaching the Habs.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Then prepare the pink slip!

Better dig them in Gaspesie just to be sure they qualify according to linguistic restrictions!

(And watch out for Habs109012: he will have knowledge of this market and will come running in wanting to make the most of this high-profile opportunity. But insofar as can be accurately determined, his worms will almost certainly turn out to be southern Ontario anglophones).

• HabFab says:

I believe they are South New Yorkers Hudson brownies… and they speak Yankee doodle dandy ;)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oops! Was mixing up posters, thinking of Lafleurguy, he of the Scarlet Pimpernel high avatar turnover.

Jim’s American worms would be even worse, never having even read the back of a Fruit Loops box in parallel English and French.

• sheds88 says:

guy boucher is available. would love to see his style with the team we have now. would still need some work on D

34. rhino514 says:

As I keep saying, if the team wants to do something interesting THIS year; they need to acquire one more legit Dman.
    If they want to give Beaulieu or Pateryn on the job training, that´s fine, but the team is too shaky on D to espect a first round win in such a case.
    Emelin is the guy right now who concerns me the most. The team really only has two Dmen who are ok or good defensively right now; Subban, and Georges. Emelin is absolutely key, because we need at least 3 dependable guys.
    Yes, he makes highlight reel hits when he is confident, but is he really a reliable defender, or has he been somewhat overrated in this regard? It´s tough to say as the club certainly has a much better record, overall, with him in the lineup than with him not in the lineup.
    The offence seems to be slowly waking up, Price has played great so far; the key lies with Emelin, and another dman, be it from within the system, or via trade, stepping up. If it doesn´t happen soon, the club could fade rather quickly.

Hi rhino.
      Love, “do something interesting”. Such a straightforward way of saying what we all really want (or would accept).

I think I recall you being here during the summer, whose constant theme was the need for (at least) one legit Dman, as you say, but also a goal-scoring and/or power forward. I would suggest that we need the latter as well in order to “do something interesting”. Let’s face it, we can’t score.

Those acquisitions never happened, doubt it was MB’s fault. Pool was small, and as the next deadline approaches, we have to bear in mind what we were/are prepared to trade since we’re “building from within”.

Or, do we have to accept that this was a building year and do no trades at all?

• boing007 says:

I really don’t care if the Habs get through the first round. That’s probably as far they’ll get. If that.

Richard R

35. CJ says:

Good morning folks. Interesting reading the comments, which range from good game with a few coverage breakdowns, to trade everyone not named PK or Price.

What are your expectations? Did that many people honestly feel that this was a top four team? Reading the comments one might assume that we had the Islanders record. I’m not sure how realistic it would be to fire the coach given our record. I’m not even sure what kind of message that would send not just within the organization, but around the league. IMO it would be one of instability.

36. Dunboyne Mike says:

We Habs fans do not manage the head/heart relationship well. But perhaps that’s because no true fan of anything ever does. That’s what makes being a fan of something different from being an accountant or dentist or systems analyst or bus-driver — all important things but all with low emotional investment.

In contrast, being a fan involves high emotional investment, and this for numerous deep-seated reasons. Take just one obvious one: it often goes back to childhood. For the majority of posters here, falling in love with the CH began in early childhood. Now adult, anywhere between student-age and old age, living in a different place with different people, inhabiting different roles, with different personal visions and different world visions — all this dramatic difference yet still clinging to something from childhood? That can only occur with a massive and complicated network of emotional connections.

That’s the heart of a Habs fan — of any fan — and what produces genuine and incredible elation in the triumphs and disproportionate despair (with the head saying, Get over it! It’s only a game and you still have to go to work/drive the kids to school/remember to book a restaurant for your wedding anniversary) in defeat. And our heads would be right to be sniffy because they constantly end up being superseded by our CH-loving hearts.

Examples abound right here in HIO. With our heads we maintain a rational and fairly consistent consensus that our team is still a few years from serious contention. We are building from the draft, waiting for certain players and their contracts to move on, watching other players develop — Rome wasn’t built in a day, MB’s first full season, etc. All this takes time and patience, we agree calmly among ourselves, smiling with benign tolerance when the occasional poster says, I’m not interested in a good season! I want the Cup now! They’ll learn, we agree smugly among ourselves.

Then when the puck drops we’re ALL like them! Our hearts override our heads and we find ourselves shouting at the TV and demanding victory. Don’t we?

Our heads mull over the possibilities of various potential call-ups, and we reach a sensible agreement that the kids would benefit from games with the big club as preparation for next year or the year after when we are contenders.

But our heads and their cool thinking are dispatched as soon as the kids arrive. Our hearts are bursting with excitement and expectation, and they see things very differently. We expect Tinordi to land Lucic into the fifth row, Beaulieu to pick up a Gordie Howe hat-trick, and Leblanc/Bournival/Dumont to score a GWG. Our hearts are so frustrated with current Habs players that we lose sight of the whole preparation aspect of call-ups and start calling them “upgrades!”. Kids, with little or no NHL experience. When our hearts are in the ascendant, we start believing call-ups will turn our season around and…

And what? Lead us to Cup glory? Perhaps I exaggerate, perhaps all that our hearts expect/demand is that our call-ups/upgrades keep games close, keep us respectable, nothing embarrassing. Really? Kids should do that?

Our heads would never expect kids to do that. Our heads had previously agreed that the kids should come up and get experience. They would probably not help us win many games. Not this year.

Our heads are capable of evaluating Therrien’s strengths and weaknesses, of recognising the limits of the talent he has at his disposal, identifying his options. During and after games, our emotionally-charged hearts are not. Our hearts furiously agree that any single one of us would, without question, do a better job.

I am not complaining. I wouldn’t have it any other way, I don’t think it’s possible — if you really are a fan — for it to happen any other way. As a fan watching at home posted yesterday concerning the PK celebration “controversy”: “It’s a good thing Anderson didn’t see how I celebrated.”

It probably wasn’t something you wanted your boss or children or mother-in-law to see, was it? But you couldn’t control it because you’re a fan.

37. adadi says:

Pretty clear what most bloggers think of MT. Unfortunately the losers running the show and the tools like Hickey who seem to be good with a poor team, and even worse coaching. I think more and more bloggers are starting to understand that this team will not make the playoffs.

If I were PK I’d want out of loserville at the end of the season.

Good morning Adadi.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Edit: Oh … and put Galchy at centre now if that’s the plan for the future.

38. montreal ace says:

I like MT so with that being said, how much wrong did Joonas do in 105 seconds. I don’t see that Joonas losing 2 draws, is a good enough reason to decide the guy can’t play. I think MT made MB look like an idiot, by not giving his call up more of a chance

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ace, I have been wracking my brains to come up with a set of circumstances in which what happened with Nattinen makes sense. For example, if when he was contacted he was told not to expect to play, that this was more about sending a message to Bourque. In other words, take one for the team. Is that possible?

Admittedly, when I say I wrack my brains, there is very little in there when it comes to the procedural relationship between club team and farm. There are lots of posters out there — still peacefully slumbering and dreaming of past glories — who are pretty intimately acquainted with how all that works. Hopefully they will contribute their views after their Corn Flakes.

If it’s the case that the kid was expecting to play decent minutes, but lost two face-offs, looked shaky and was benched for an entire game, then I can’t imagine any way that the toll on morale — both his and other Bulldogs’ — can be an acceptable price. This in turn would be a poor reflection on someone in management, whether MT or MB or whoever.

39. zephyr says:

emelin, georges & beaulieu stunk. georges stunk out the playoffs last yr.. he’s undersized & has no offense at all. we’re not getting rid of him either because he’s an asst captain. beaulieu is an awesome skater but he’s too light & can’t play defense.
    nattinen really?
    briere & parros did zero again.
    dd played a great game again & that’s b4 I stopped watching after georges stupid play that led to a leaf goal. how many times did I say to my sons that even tho it looked like an easy exit from their zone, the habs would needlessly cough it up – & they did.
    I’m tired of watching such sloppy hockey. it’s not entertaining, boone, it’s painful to watch. painful. they only play 1 good game in 5 (or 10).
    same mistakes game in & game out. can’t hold a lead either (if we ever get one) because mt wants them to play tight. has that ever worked? it sure looks to me like we get out-coached nearly every game. this crap reminds me of the awful season we had when cunneyworth was coaching. something is wrong & I think it’s mt.

• jamman says:

hey zeph

I agree Beaulieu, Gorges and Emelin didn’t play all that well. Beaulieu looked lost most def but he’s young and needs time to get comfortable, I felt he looked better in the second half of the game.

I dunno what MT was thinking with that Eller Pacioretty Parros line when we got scored on, Parros is terrible at covering up in the d zone

Other then that I thought the boys played decent and who knows if Patches put it top cheese instead of the post coulda been different

Cheers

40. Frank2468 says:

Everyone expects with new management and coaching the Habs will change, but no matter who is in management or the coach it will always be the same it’s the culture of the organization it’s just the way it is. It’s like expecting the Bruins or the Leafs to play a total finesse game of hockey it won’t happen.

41. Habilis says:

Had me laughing out loud with that one, Boone. Good stuff.

Three day break coming up for the club. Smells like a great time for a coaching change.

I won’t hold my breath.

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Bulldogs lose to the Canucks’ Utica Comets tonight …3-1

…the calvary is comin’ !!!

43. habbytent says:

Hey Booner, a good one, with just enough passive aggressive anger to match the HIO fans, of which i am one.

44. Frank2468 says:

I’m getting sick and tired of the Habs being intimidated by the Leafs. They look almost scared to play for god sakes it’s embarrassing to watch, which sometimes I wonder why I do watch? I guess I’m hoping that some of the players will grow about 1 foot in height and maybe pair as well over night!!! I was waiting for Georges to cough up the puck and without fail he did on the first goal. Leafs made it 3 to 1 and I tuned out why bother watching. It’s like watching someone being bullied and he never fights back cause he’s afraid he will get hurt if he does!!! Now I must admit I didn’t watch from 3 to 1 on but I tuned back when it was 3 to 3 with about 10 mins to go, well guess I should have just skipped passed the channel. It’s almost like the Leafs get up for the games against Habs more then the Habs do and I can’t figure it out?????

• The Jackal says:

Where did you get that angle? Habs outplayed the Leafs and they had a good game. Sometimes you lose games you should, and sometimes the inverse applies as well – see Habs v. Sens 2014.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

45. Fabio D says:

Aside from the cast of characters. What makes this edition of the Montreal Canadiens any different from the versions we’ve seen through the Houle,Savard, Gainey, Gauthier and now Bergevin years?? Same old team, pop gun smurf offence,porous defence with goal tending that tends to cover up the larger issues with the team. Hurts to be a Habs with a never ending mediocre on ice product.

46. Cal says:

Habs don’t play again until Wednesday. What do you figure? Maybe 1 practice? Heaven forbid if it were two.

47. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hey Therrien way to build a prospect’s confidence dumbass.

Fire this idiot already. WTF

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Martin St. Louis …another 4 goals tonight against San Jose

…incredible ! …right ??? Stevie ?

• The Jackal says:

What a beast!
      I’m unsure about his spot on Team Canada, I would certainly take him over Nash, but I’d rather Giroux over St. Louis…. if only we could have two teams!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

49. WindsorHab-10 says:

It’s official. Don Cherry is an asshole.

50. CH Marshall says:

hah maybe it’s just me, but I get the impression PJ Stock really doesn’t like Elliotte Friedeman.

51. montreal ace says:

Parros has 2 shots on goal this year, I know cause I can remember both of them. Cube and Murray -19 between them, I hope its not just me that thinks we can have an upgrade there.

52. The Capitalist Pig says:

I take it going to Jazz at Lincoln Center was the “Sam Adams” right decision this evening?

53. C-Sword says:

Haha, Torts trying to bust into the Flames locker room

54. NCRhabsfan says:

Maybe Emelin needs to be given the rest of the year off; or at least play it in Hamilton as he gets his mojo back. I am a huge Emelin fan, but that has been really difficult lately.

MT is absolutely the wrong coach for this team, results be damned. This is a young developing team and he is not the right coach for that group. If you’re only going to play Nattinen 2 minutes then leave him in Hamilton. I think the true story here is that MT didn’t want Nattinen, he wanted someone else and MB called up Nattinen. So MT does what he does best, he got petulant and didn’t play him.Kinda like not pulling the goalie in a 3-1 game. This is a truly horrible coach that has tiny little temper tantrums and does dumb ass stuff. they cannot get him out of Montreal soon enough!!! Perhaps the worst coach in the history of the game!

• Timo says:

Who hired this coach? He should be the one to go first.

• habsfan999 says:

Also questioning the coach here, to put it mildly. He looks downright uncomfortable sometimes behind the bench, particularly when they returned from secnond intermission in Ottawa, he looked like he was in a sad snit. It would be good to see him go. There’s gotta be someone that can speak french, have the brains for the sport and be a good leader. Better off taking a chance with someone who has no NHL experience than keeping him behind the bench.

Emelin is an important missing piece of the puzzle, would be good to have him back 100%.

55. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It is hard to have respect for an organization when it brings up a player for 2 min against a major rival with an already weakend line-up. Is this a joke? Are you telling me Leblanc could nor have played 10 minutes tonight? He already showed he can play earlier this season. Ridiculous…

56. habs001 says:

Changes are needed on this team now..A win in Pitts on wed would fool posters again…The Habs had a solid record last year and their record this year is still good but many games they won were lackadaisical regular season games…when the opposition is fired up and plays their best game this team cannot compete and their hope is to win like they won in Ottawa

57. montreal ace says:

I think this is one of Boone’s better Last Night recaps, and very clever in describing the situation with Bourque. I think I might have called up a different forward, but I was happy with Nathan.

58. ooder says:

i feel like this year is a write off for Emelin, he came back from a very serious injury playing on his off side.
    If he uses the rest of the season to get back into shape and get his timing back i am perfectly ok with it. deffinately not one of the players to give up on.

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have We noticed by now that this is the type of game that multiple posts from Timo in ALN are ‘a sure thang’ ? :)

I think my hate for Therrien shift more and more towards Bergevin as time goes by. He truly is a useless t!t and doesn’t seem to have a clue how to build a team. He has that idea to build through a draft… fine. Is he guaranteed that most of his draft picks will pan out and become solid (i am not hoping for a star) NHLers? What if they don’t? Start from scratch after losing another 5-8 years?

• vegas says:

as long as DD is on our top line we can never take this team seriously

upon his return and moving forward
      Chucky
      Plekanec
      Eller
      whoever
      and I donèt care if we win another

Markov, Gionta, Bourque, Murrat, Boullion, Gorges, Desharnais, Briere, Moen, Diaz, and even Plekanec should all be made available.
      Clean hous eand buid for the future. just making it to the playoffs doesnt cut it for me

61. The Teacher says:

I agree. Beaulieau has got moxie. He will make mistakes, but so does the reigning Norris trophy winner :)

62. Da Hema says:

Le sigh….

63. habs001 says:

PK,Markov,Emelin(yes),Tinordi,Pateryn,Bealieu…the other D are too slow or small…Gorges has lost a step but for him that is huge..Best return for him is now …Giving the 3 kids 30 games would be huge for next year….

64. fastfreddy says:

Some people are going to say,”It’s just one bad game, don’t sweat it.” BS! The Habs have played quite a few bad games this season. I fear Mr. Boone may be correct in his analysis, this team may be watching the playoffs this season if things don’t change. Timo’s right, we only have 2 NHL calibre D men and too few honest working forwards.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

65. Captmax says:

I do agree that was a harsh harsh critic of a game that really wasn’t that bad. The third goal was bad. so many mistakes on it to name but still the team dominated many shifts.
    It’s like they don’t know how to dominate the front of the net.
    Without DD Pacioretty is a lazy high slot shot that really really is overrated. If you don’t dig the puck out of the corner for him he’s a paperweight.

What is with the constant line mixing? Did Eller screw up enough to be taken off of the first line to the third? Hey you’ve been doing great at a position you aren’t used to but Briere just had a good shift so I’m throwing you to the third and fourth line now. But good work!!

I know Briere was working the corners and behind the net well but how do you keep team and player confidence?

You don’t. But they team stayed tough, came back, then came back again and dug in. But it was a horrible loss. Especially that last goal, empty net.

Maybe this was a game where he finally sees that lineups — SO PLAYERS KNOW WHERE THEIR PARTNERS WILL BE ON THE ICE! WIll this guy dig the corner.. no I got to go.. but the changes kill Kill momentum and cohesion.

Crying a little inside but not defeated or throwing the towel!!

Capt

66. Sportfan says:

That game hurt.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

The Booneman sayeth: “Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn are – in contrast to poor Nättinen and the other Bulldogs forwards – bona-fide NHL prospects. maybe the future should be now.”

…haha, I always figured, if I lived long-enough, that Boone and I would finally find Ourselves on the same pageth :)

68. CH Marshall says:

Im no MT fan, but we need a roster make-over. There should only be one player under 6′, and that’s Gallagher. We need probably 4 or 5 new wingers, and probably 2 new Dmen. Play Tiny, beaulieu, and pateryn. They cant do any worse.

Now about coaching. How about a coach like Larry Robinson that can teach D? Or a coach that can figure out a plan to score 5 on5 and on PP? Anyhooo, problems are meant to be solved, right MB?

• Bogie Man says:

leadership is a big part of any teams success. The Habs lack leadership right up to the owner. Yes we need a top 6 forward who can score at will and a few more stay at home defencemen but even with the right players this team will not see much success till they replace Gionta and MT period.

69. rjcp says:

Not a bad assessment by Boone. Was at the game, great seats, lower bowl Golds between the 2 benches, centre ice. Intentionally kept an eye on MT, I think he’s done what he’s capable of, can’t see him take our team to the next levels. I truly believe this team has the talent, evenwith the size issue, but the execution and deployment requires a better equipped coach. I have to think that a seemingly bright MB is going to have to seriously assess this team pretty soon and make the necessary changes because even though they are likely making the playoffs, it may be a short run again. Lastly, it truly hurts living in T.O, paying huge bucks for 4 seats, and then having to watch us lose and endure the obnoxious Leaf fans, why oh why can’t we just beat them here.

• Timo says:

Sorry man. That truly sucks. This is why I decided long ago to never pay to see these losers. I mean, for me to take my family of 3 to see a game I am looking at around $500. That not pocket change. For these bums… they make tens of thousands for simply “physically” showing up at the rink and not doing anything. I hope karma catches up with them later in life.

Btw, can Emelin go back to rehab? I liked him a lot more when he wasn’t playing. This team literally plays with 2 NHL defensemen for the entire season. The rest of the D could barely hold an AHL job.

Same goes for most of the forwards.

Why did people even bother asking which is the real Montreal Canadiens after the Chicago game? THIS is the real Montreal Canadiens. A team that barely beat lowly senators after being embarrassed for most of the game and the team that lost to leafs because of an insane number of absolutely brutal defensive zone mistakes. This is the real Montreal Canadiens who will continue being an example of mediocrity for year and year to come. The team has NO depth.

Joke of a GM, joke of a coach and most of the players are a joke too.

72. Plekasuares says:

Its just a game. Man did that article wreek of depression

• Bogie Man says:

really? It is just a game, I think the issue is that we hear this too much. I think the majority of the fans of the Canadiens would think differently. Too bad you feel this way as the way I see every game is important especially against a team that we rival such as the leafs.