About last night …

PriceSens

If the Canadiens play like that at the Air Canada Centre on Saturday night …
Well, it just doesn’t bear thinking about, does it?
On the other hand, there’s a pretty good chance Carey Price will get the start against the Leafs.
So there’s hope for another crucial divisional win.
But give Phil Kessel those kinds of scoring chances …
Again, though, we can postpone that nightmare for a couple days.

For 40 minutes in Ottawa, the Canadiens looked like a team headed for a downward, Acapulco cliff dive in the Eastern Conference standings.

They were awful. Worst I’ve seen them play this season. And in view of some recent stinkeroos, that’s saying something.

But Price – playing what more than a few pundits on Twitter called the best game of his NHL career – kept it close.

Then Tomas Plekanec’s fluke goal off Jared Cowen’s skate. And Erik Karlsson’s turnover in Overtime and P.K. Subban’s dribbler through Craig Anderson’s legs.

Bada-bing, bada-boom!

Two points, and on to Toronto – where a fair bit of baggage will be sliding down the carousel at Pearson late Thursday night.

The gang on L’Antichambre began the telecast by listing Canadiens who could hold their heads high:

The goaltender, of course. It wasn’t just the 44 shots Price faced. Tampa Bay put 45 on him in a 2-1 Shootout loss at the Bell Centre in November. Carolina had 42 in winning 5-4 in OT on New Year’s Eve.

But neither the Lightning nor Hurricanes had the quality of shots Price faced at the Canadian Tire Centre. By conservative estimate, the Senators had 20 gilt-edged scoring chances.

Through the first two periods, the Senators skated through the Canadiens’ D like a hot knife through … I’d better go with “butter” because a scatological reference would be inappropriate in a family blog.

There was poor gap control. The Canadiens gave up the blueline too easily. Unhindered by anything resembling physical resistance, the Senators owned the slot and fired at will.

Price was heroic. He had no chance on the four Ottawa goals.

The list of Canadiens who didn’t totally suck also included:

• P.K. Subban, who played 27:25, scored the winner and had three shots on goal, plus five that were blocked.

• Tomas Plekanec, who scored twice, won 13 of 22 draws, finished plus-2 and played half the game on a sore knee after blocking a shot.

• Max Pacioretty, whose 21st goal was a honey of a wrist shot.

• Brendan Gallagher, who had EIGHT of the Canadiens 23 shots and, as always, played his heart out, even through the worst of Ottawa’s domination. As bad as it got, the DD line played a few shifts that reminded fans the Montreal Canadiens are an NHL hockey team.

Brian Gionta was OK. Alexei Emelin had seven hits. Lars Eller did not look out of place playing left wing with Pleks and Gionta.

And the special teams were perfect, producing a shorthanded goal (third of the year, 15th career) for Plekanec and a long-overdue power play snipe by Pacioretty.

That’s about it for the highlight reel.

Shall we list the negatives?

• Brandon Prust was on for two Ottawa goals.

• Douglas Murray and Raphael Diaz do not belong in the defence corps of a playoff team.

• Daniel Brière played 10:48, had one shot attempt that missed the net and went 0-4 on draws. Even the Antichambre guys are coming to the painful realization that Brière is washed up.

• Rene Bourque had ZERO shot attempts. He has not been on a scoresheet since returning from injury on Dec. 17. Bourque has played 36 games this season and, to steal a Ray Ferraro quip I heard on Mitch Melnick’s show, he has one more assist than I do.

A win is a win.

The two points will be valuable in April.

Three Olympians – Price, Subban and Plekanec – came to play in Ottawa.

But something ails this team, peeps. The euphoria we all felt Saturday night after that beautifully played win over Chicago began to fade during the loss to New Jersey; and those first two periods in Ottawa were shock therapy for anyone clinging to the notion that this is anything approaching an elite NHL team.

Is it Michel Therrien’s fault?

Hey, he’s no Scotty Bowman. And evidence building up since the playoffs last spring suggests Therrien is no Paul MacLean.

Is his system stifling creative players?

Are Therrien’s obsessive line changes counter-productive?

Has the room tuned him out?

And what about his boss?

Is it the considered judgment of Marc Bergevin that no one in Hamilton is better than Murray, Diaz, Bouillon, Bourque or Brière?

Too negative after a W?

Hey, what’s winning without whining?

On to TO.

1. 25 while im alive says:

Still missing James wisniewski

2. Habs_101 says:

The habs have a great core, but very poor veteran ‘skill’ in the lineup this season. There a players that absolutely have to go, or the habs will not be contenders, Murray, Boullion, Diaz, Borque, Gionta and Briere. These players need to go… and I realize it wont be easy. But MB needs to unload these players for anything he can get, they occupy 15.58 million in cap space and do not help this team. With that money MB could easily sign two 4.5 mil forwards, a 4 million dollar dman (3/4 solid guy) and still have 2.3 million in savings to add to the money for Subban/Eller. The other spaces can be easily replaced by two dman from Hamilton and one forward for Hamilton/rookie next season.

Either way, didnt mean to sound so negative. I am excited about this teams core, and the potential moving forward!

GO HABS GO!

• Habs_101 says:

Just for arguments sake, I would suggest targetting Moulson, Setoguchi and Mezaros with the savings….leaving us something like this to start next season;

Patch – DD – Gallagher
      Galchenyuk – Eller – Moulson
      Bournival – Plekanec – Setoguchi
      Prust – White – Moen
      Parros

Gorges – Subban
      Markov – Pateryn
      Emelin – Mezaros
      Tinordi

GO HABS GO!

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree with most of what you’re saying. We need to find some veterans who lead by example. There are too many floaters on the team. As you said, that’s not easy to do, but it is Bergevin’s job to do it. I’ll be dissapointed if the team is not stronger in the playoffs within a couple years.

I’m not sure about the Hamilton guys. If they are ready, great, but the Habs have brought in some players a bit too early in the past. I’m hoping that at least a couple d-men will be ready next season.

3. olegpetrov says:

Another note. The Habs are small. Their small guys have an incredible amount of talent but when you stack your team with them, you get what happened last night. Teams know this about the Habs. It’s the game plan. Hit. Hit. Hit. I saw it last night. As soon as the Sens started to step up the hitting, the Habs started to fall. I understand that Gio, DD, Gallagher et al play big but you can only play so big before your body tells you to go to hell and stops helping.

Habs fan…Nuff said

4. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos!What a clusterf#ck in the 2nd eh? Nice comebac in the 3rd. PK with the winner on a Karlson turnover? Priceless! Which Price was too. Sens get a loser point to log jam the Laffs , Habs get 2pts. . I’m ok with that. Saludos!

• Mattyleg says:

Mornin’ Fronty!

You got all those points right, bud.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

Nice, simple to the point post.

Lost in all the (justified) complaining is that the Habs played much better in the 3rd, and limited a somewhat desperate team to 6 shots in the 3rd period.

5. jacquesthemonkey says:

Time to call up some kids and sit some veterans. If they are going
    to play this badly I would rather it be learning experience for someone.

• third generation haber says:

How about we trade some vets for some prospects and deepen our pool? Markov would fetch some high end talent at the moment.

• Habsrule1 says:

I’d rather have Markov around when a couple of the young D from Hamilton come in. they can learn a lot from him. Not to mention he’s been our best defenseman not named Subban this season.

6. olegpetrov says:

I said it in the other thread and I’ll say it again…mainly because it needs to be discussed so much that MB gets a clue and acts on it.

Bourque is terrible. He’s so much worse than Gomez. At least Gomez worked when he was on the ice. Bourque does nothing. He floats. It’s more apparent when you see a game live. He just sits there. Doesn’t skate…unless he knows he can get the puck and won’t get hit. I am amazed that he gets ice time. Subban gets benched for a bad penalty but Bourque gets to play 15 + mins in the game and not work at all? Makes no sense.

Ice time is another topic…but I’ll leave that for now. BOURQUE HAS TO GO!!

Habs fan…Nuff said

Perhaps MB is working the phones hard to trade a player like Bourque. By sitting this guy game in and game out that will do nothing for his trade value. Don’t get me wrong, Bourque is not helping this team, I agree 100% with that.

I just don’t believe that MB and even MT don’t see that also. I suppose my perspective is from an extreme optimistic perspective, but it is my hope that indeed they are trying to trade him. Given the length of contract he has remaining sending him to the minors is not an option.

Perhaps indeed a 1 game hot dog break is required, however, I am not convinced his last stay in the box was injury related and that indeed some of those games were “healthy scratches” as he was returning from the shoulder injury.

• olegpetrov says:

Very true on the extended “injury”. It’s just hard to see MT bench Subban but leave Bourque in playing like that with no repercussions. I would be ok with them letting Bourque go for one or two 2nd round picks next year.

Habs fan…Nuff said

Perhaps MT sees PK as a long term future asset to the team and is working with PK to develop into the best defenceman possible. Whereas Bourque is simply a lost cause. I realize that is a simpleton reason, but I am not sure benching Bourque for 10 mins. a game makes any difference to his perspective on hockey.

He appears absolutely lifeless on the ice, and at this point it is simply a matter of trying to make Chicken Sh*t look like Chicken Salad. No wonder Calgary was willing to add draft picks when trading him.

He has been an enigma his entire career in the NHL, with flashes of brilliance followed up with extended periods of lackluster efforts.

• olegpetrov says:

Damn you and your glass is half full outlook on Bourque!

Makes sense. I guess it’s also because benching Subban gets MUCH more airplay than benching Bourque would. Making Subban answer for his actions will make him a better player. I just hope it’s in Montreal.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• CJ says:

I agree completely. I’m sure the management team sees exactly what everyone else sees. It’s just not so easy as trading him away. You need a willing partner. My guess, we would need to take back another dud, with an equal or higher cap hit. In this case, it’s not worth it.

• Habsrule1 says:

Could not agree more. How could there be nobody in Hamilton that can come take his place. At least a call-up would be working and trying to impress,

How is it possible that Bourque has only 1 more assist than all of us have?

• third generation haber says:

I have no problem with trading Bourque, but since we are in such a hurry to get rid of him (And his 3.3 mil cap hit for the next 2 seasons) why would any team want him??? We could only manage to get an equal headache in return.

To get some return we have to trade players that other teams would actually want to acquire; like Markov!

• olegpetrov says:

Draft picks. That’s all the Habs would need. That would free up cap space, allow for someone from the min-Habs to come up and dump a player who really doesn’t have any heart.

Habs fan…Nuff said

7. third generation haber says:

Thank-u @oldschoolhockey, below he wrote:

” Yay Habfan17! Well said… winning by fluke in the playoffs isn’t a strategy I want my team to have. I want them to be feared every night. To be a heavy odds favorite to win every night.”

He’s talking about being the best team on the ice, being difficult (not easy) to play against, and not relying on miracles from your goalkeeper.

To those in denial about this, what trophy are we competing for the Stanley Cup or the Vezina?

• Habsrule1 says:

Look….everyone agrees. We want the Habs to be good as possible, and a contender for the Cup. My question is how would you go about doing that? We’ve drafted some players that should help. Our defense is being exposed and we have some defensemen in Hamilton that should help, but they are not quite ready. We drafted McCarron…I don’t know how good he will be, but he’s what we need IF he can play tough and score a few.

I know it’s hard to be patient, but turning a team around isn’t easy.

• third generation haber says:

Thank-u for asking. I’d get rid of anyone that isn’t part of helping us run for cups between 2016-2018. Markov, Gionta, Briere, Diaz, Bourque, and more. Get as many prospects (not picks), ages 20-22 in return and commit 100% to a youth movement. Make the tough decisions now, don’t live in denial for years at a time trying to solve every problem with band-aids (see Calgary Flames 2009-2012).

In addition, surround these young guys with tough m.f.’s who will enable them to do their jobs without getting bullied.

I want Patches, Eller, Subban, Price, Gorges, Emelin, and Pleks to be our vets.

• Cal says:

Having a team of rookies with too few quality vets is the route the Oilers have tanken. It doesn’t work.
          Throwing away a vet like Markov is extremely short-sighted, considering how well he is playing.
          MB says no to free agents excepting a washed-up Brière and a slow crusher like Murray.
          Trading isn’t the answer, either. Who the hell wants the likes of Diaz and Bourque? If I were MB, they’d be in Hamilton as a warning to the others to pick up their game.

• third generation haber says:

I love Markov; I don’t want to “throw him away”. I want to trade him for a high-end prospect that will join the core of this team for the next 10 years. Is that short-sighted? His value is high now, but it won’t be by the time we become a cup-contender. Should we re-sign him so that he can help us tread water for 3 more years and lower our draft position in the process? Consider the fact that we got Pacioretty and Gorges for Craig Rivet.

U are dead-on about Edmonton, but as I mentioned, I want to see our mid-twenties guys become vets and have some hard-nosed vets come-in to police the situation on the ice.

Isn’t the cup the reason this team exists???

• Habsrule1 says:

Besides Markov, I agree, and I think MB will probably do close to what you are saying for next season.
          Again, when you bring up the past (live in denial for years), it makes no sense. Bergevin just got here. What happened for the past 20 years is irrelevant. Is he supposed to rush to do things because us fans can’t stop crying over the past 20 years?

As far as surrounding these players, that’s easy to say. I’ll venture to guess that doing it is a bit tougher. With all due respect, I think you have the right idea, I just think you’re being naive about how easy it is. IMO, if he hasn’t improved this team for the playoffs within a couple more years, THEN I’ll say he hasn’t done his job.

• veryhabby says:

I think we all know that we are simply a middle of the pack team. We sit in 3rd, but what-6 pts out of the playoffs? That 3 losses, and with 8 teams battling for the 2 spots below us we all know we can easily not make the playoffs. Even MB stated this about his team at the most midseason media scrum.

He knows this team can easily miss the playoffs and knows it’s not the time to make a trade for one player, while losing building assets, cause we are a building team. We are nowhere close to being elite. Sure we can play a good game here and there (vrs Chicago ), all NHL teams can. But we need Alot still to make this team a top conference team.

We have pieces, allstars in Price, PK. We have studs in Pac and Pleas and Markov. We have promise in Eller and the 2 G’s. The rest are average or below. We have lots of work still. Expecting an elite team at this time is just setting yourself up for disappointing evenings!

• third generation haber says:

I’m expecting an elite team 3-4 years from now. Which why I say trade Markov now! His return could be huge at this point.

j.p. murray

• TGH, clearly you and I remember the 60′s, 70′s and even early 80′s Habs. We were lucky. Those in the commentariat who didn’t have that pleasure don’t understand that the organization has been broken for far too long and that there seems to be a systemic problem for even a new GM to bring in a Briere simply because he is French. None of the teams faithful boosters are giving the realists any real options to understand that we will improve over the next three years.

Our farm team is a middling team. We have no fire power there, only a couple of good defense prospects. We need to score and not rely solely on PK and Markov. Some coach needs to figure out how to have Eller, Chucky even block heads like Bourque score more. If they can’t, we need to draft or bring in scorers even if it costs us.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

8. Old Bald Bird says:

I read many posts below with some perplexity. This is what I feared, that the 2 points would tilt opinion. Apparently, it has for some people. These are probably the most undeserved two points in the history of sport. What we saw last night was a complete beatdown. How anybody can be buoyed by the fluke victory is beyond me. Maybe we need to play Budaj for the rest of the year to demonstrate how bad the team is.

Look, I am trying to be a realist. If they find their mojo next game and keep it, I’ll be happy, but they have not played well except for the occasional burst for a very long time now. Last night was not a one-off.

plus 1!

j.p. murray

• Plus 2, don’t let Shane and HIB hold your tongue. We all love the Habs, some are just more reluctant to hear the reality as others.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

wow, sorry if that is something I do. You don’t know me well enough though. I see lots of shortcomings on this team, I have said all season and last season that we are 2-3 perhaps 4 years away from being a contender.

I will do my best to try and present only negative perspectives in the future. As for your tongue, I have zero interest in holding it.

• Mike Boone says:

Exactly.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• CJ says:

What’s frustrating is the flashes of brilliance. You may not have seen a great game in a very long time, but I watched the Blackhawks game on Saturday which was a beauty. That’s the frustration. We were so good then, yet five days later, against a divisional opponent, we lay an egg.

Head scratcher.

• Wintercount says:

The measure of a good system is how well a team reacts to pressure, right. How’s that goin’ so far. MT’s System, at the very least, is freezing any creativity the players might own and contrary to MB’s thinking, the coach(sic) is proving to be just an awful hire, especially for the young guys.
      He keeps tossing Gally out there with no protection and the kid will not endure. Bournival is really being fk’d around and Alex at best, is only marginally better then the last campaign. Not to mention that his borderline vendetta with Subban has affected his play too. How would it not? While Eller gets no PP, no respect, but yet, he uses him in the first slot on the shootout…….!?????!?
      Another pissed off player.
      Keeping Tinordi et al away from Mt might be MB’s best move yet, although who knows how good the coaching is down there.

How would you like to play on a team coached by this dud or better yet, would you allow your son or daughter to play for him.
      ……………

“We put da pressure”.

9. portle44 says:

Horrific team effort.Yeah they are a small team but that is no excuse to be two steps behind in every race for the puck.Even the Top six of Scotty Bowman’s Habs wouldn’t be able to do it by themselves every night.Bourque looks like he would rather be sitting in a dentist’s chair than going over the boards.Bury him in Hamilton.Leblanc will be able to manage at least one assist in two months too.I guarantee it.

• third generation haber says:

U nailed it, we are 2 steps behind in puck pursuit. Ottawa wrote the book on us, charge at the habs, give them no respect, and they will collapse helplessly into their own goal crease.

10. Habsrule1 says:

It really bothers when I hear or read other team’s (or even supposed Habs fans) fans rag on PK for his celebration.

The guy scored the OT winner after the team is dominated. He’s a good friend with Price, who deserved the win, so he was excited and skated to his teammates to celebrate with them.

What’s the problem? Who do we want PK to be? He’s a passionate, excited guy who loves to win and loves his team.

The only time I don’t like a big celebration is when it’s an unimportant goal, or even a goal that gets us close. If there is still work to be done, I’m not into a big celebration. High fives and back to work.

• BJ says:

PK has every right to celebrate as he chooses. He’s one of the few spontaneous guys we have and should remain exactly as he is. What do we want from our players, the same do good answers from Gorges every game. We need more paasssiiiioooonnnn.

• third generation haber says:

Agreed, Pk is the best thing to happen to the habs in many years. I suspect his teammates dislike, not his emotional outbursts, but the constant media circus surrounding him which they, consequently, have to endure in the locker room.

• rljmartin says:

Wish he had given Price the low-five!

• mksness says:

no class. he should be benched for atleast 10 minutes

• PK has consistently had his emotions reigned in. I’ve always said to let him go. Let him turn his wheels and create chances (yes, he also has to control the giveaways when he gets going). The team isn’t an Ivy League University. it doesn’t need to hold it’s pinky up when sipping tea. It is a hockey team and I’d love to see the bumps and bruises like Rocket displayed. Some emotion like PK’s is great and if it pisses the other teams and refs off, great!!! The refs stink and are biased anyways and if we can get under the skin of our opponents, that is only a good thing. All we need is someone to protect our elites like PK. Parros, Murray, Prust maybe even Moen (certainly White) will be enough thank you, so go low five PK and God help us if he’s traded because he’s to focused on his career. He has displayed nothing but support for the team. Far fewer players have exhibited the same enthusiasm for the team and the game.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

11. Habfun says:

I was at the game, what a terrible showing by most of the Habs, “PRICE IS THE MAN” let’s not worry about the leafs on Saturday, they can’t come at us any harder than Ottawa did but if the Habs do play like that I think a loss is imminent. We were up 3-0 and there where a lot of P.O.d Sens fans in the crowd, actually they were still whining when they took the lead, Plec’s was great, the SH goal was a hoot. An Subban shut them all up in OT The Hab fans just jumped right out of their seats. I still left feeling a little giddy (maybe it was the 4 beers I had. (my friend was driving so it was ok).
    In the car I let out a little giggle and my wife told me to shut the — up. (she’s a Sens fan.
    I know it was a bad game for the Habs but I still had a warm fuzzy feeling all the way home.
    So I say to Saturday’s game. Go Habs Go!!!!!!

It\’s all about the CH

12. Ah WJC, ever the optimist like Matty. While I’d like to have the same “faith” I don’t. Faith is for religious zealots (nope, there are no 72 virgins waiting for me if I blow myself up for a Jihad or some other ridiculous orthodox religious believer).

I’m about rational, realism. We have some very good players. I hesitate with great, because they can’t shine through when they play with less than good players. The clicking of Cole, Max and DD is an example of how a line can cook when all the pieces are together.

Mismanaging Eller by trying to fit in Briere because he is a put laine Quebecer is one example of many miserable mistakes by a team that looked like it found it’s identity and now, just looks like it is coach less. I still consider MB a professional who’s slowly improving a team that was left for dead over the last 20 years because nobody, including Molson could tell the fans and ever meddling PQ government that this is a private exports club that wants to WIN a Stanley CUP, not participate in the same “Faith” that separatists will one day have their own country.

Until such time as the owners, managers and coaches (English, French or Russian) decide that nobody from outside the teams offices will influence how they will build their competitor, we will have the only team in North America to persist with this lamentable quandary and play 50/50 hockey for as long as I live out my hopefully long life.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Habsrule1 says:

Only in Montreal do we hear whine after whine after a win. Yes, they played badly. They pay a very good goalie very good money to steal games here and there and that’s what Price did last night.
      Aparently nobody here has seen this:
      1 Pitts 48 34 12 2 30 70 156 115 20-3-0 14-9-2 7-2-1 Won 2
      2 Boston 47 30 15 2 29 62 136 104 18-5-2 12-10-0 5-5-0 Won 1
      3 Tampa 48 28 15 5 23 61 137 115 14-5-3 14-10-2 5-4-1 OT 1
      4 Montr 48 27 16 5 24 59 123 115 14-8-3 13-8-2 5-3-2 Won 1

We are 3 points behind Boston for 2nd in the Eastern conference. Can we all stop crying about how bad the Habs are? Where did you honestly expect them to be at this point?

Yes, it would be nice if they improved the team. I think the defense will get stronger in the next 1-3 years. Yes, it would be nice to upgrade Briere, and especially Bourque….but all in all, the team is performing pretty well. If they finish 4th in the East after 82 games, are you not going to be happy? You’ll probably say it depends on the playoffs, but come on. Bergevin & even Therrien basically just got here. I know you’re tired of waiting, but that’s not their fault, or problem. Bergevin needs time to make this team better, especially for a playoff run. He also needs to find what he needs, and then actually get it. If it was such an easy job, all of us posters would be GM’s in the NHL.
      Take the good with the bad. Accept the losses, but enjoy the wins…deserved or not, they still count.

Go Habs Go!!

• Ah “Faith”. Look at Anaheim. How long have they had their coach?

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Habsrule1 says:

That was a good team before the new coach came along. If I understand right, you think Boudreau would have this exact team competing for a Cup right now?

• third generation haber says:

We’re whining because after 20 years of futility, we want a cup contender, not a petty division crown. We are not built for the playoffs and inflated regular season stats will only keep us in this dreaded cycle of drafting low and getting knocked out early each year.

• Old Bald Bird says:

There is a huge difference between whining and realism but also between optimism and realism. The second part of your post was realistic. We all get the long term view, but last night was beyond pathetic.

• Habsrule1 says:

Can’t argue that it was pathetic, but we got 2 points. Let’s learn from it and move on. Why do we mention the past 20 years? Yes, it’s sad for all of us, but what does it have to do with Marc Bergevin?

13. --Habs-- says:

My opinion is the team played with pride Saturday to show Bergevin how well they could play at both ends of the ice. I think they played for Bergevin! Last night I think they showed Bergevin that Therrien has lost the bench! In my opinion they will play out the year this way or they will hand the bench over to the assistant very soon! Maybe what we need is a spanking from TO for that to happen and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Habs completely buff the game just for that to happen to embarrass Therrien. I think they’re waiting for Therrien to have Penguins outburst to have an excuse to dump him! Problem is who do you replace him with right now? Hand the reigns over to Gerald Gallant

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• Habsrule1 says:

Therrien is not going anywhere as long as his record looks as good as it does. There is no proof anywhere that he’s lost the room. Was it that bad performance culminating in 2 points?

Quit with the conspiracy theories.

• third generation haber says:

yes, it was that bad! Look at the shots on net. Look at how Ottawa fearlessly charged our goal crease. The best team on the ice certainly didn’t win and in the playoffs u can’t pull that off 4 times in 7 games. This is a serious problem!

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree it’s a problem, but if you watched the series against the sens last season, the HAbs dominated 3 of the 5 games and lost the series 4-1. It happens. Halak proved that the better team does not always win a series.

That said, it does need to be fixed, but unfortunately, this is not NHL14. Getting the players you need to make a team better is not always easy. MB and MT are doing what they can, and having decent success in the regular season so far. I assume MB is trying to make the team better for the playoffs, but if it was easy, I’d be the GM instead of him.

• third generation haber says:

First off, thanks for your insightful comments. I, however, don’t feel we dominated against Ottawa last year. I think they ran us over like a freight train. And, winning one playoff series isn’t the goal anyway, we’re the club de hockey Canadien and we were born to compete for cups.

I think now is a pivotal time for the organization. If MB can see what many of us can, that this team doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of competing for a cup this year, he might make some very tough decisions. I’m not talking about just trading Gionta. I’m talking about trading Markov! I’m talking about having a no cream-puff policy on the team; send Diaz to play in a women’s league.

We should be thinking cup or nothing, even if it means missing the playoffs next year.

• Habsrule1 says:

You make some great points. I think MB has to do what he can to make the team better. Somehow, he has to find the players. It’s not easy, but it’s his job. I just don’t think we can judge him just yet. Sure, we can judge a couple good moves and a couple mistakes, but the next year or 2 will tell us if he’s capable of making the team into a contender.

As for the sens series, I thought the Habs outplayed the sens for at least half of the periods in the series, but I digress. They need to get better.

14. Cal says:

Habs team play over the last month pretty much stinks to high heaven. Thankfully, the goaltending is way above average and the Habs have 2 great Dmen in PK and Markov. Emelin and Gorges are a tier or three below them and Diaz and Murray aren’t much good, but at least Murray can clear the crease.
    What would this team be like without Pleks? Eller, Patches, Gally, Chucky and DD have held their own, but the lack of offense from the rest makes this team easier to beat than they should be.
    Lastly, this is NOT a team of grinders. Not enough size or sandpaper to play that way.
    The team has to play a lot tighter in the neutral zone, especially when the other team is heading up the ice. They’ve been beyond terrible at allowing other teams free access to the blueline AND THE SLOT. A bleeping peewee coach can see this, so why no bloody adjustments?

Going forward, do the Habs only win with Price playing incredible or do we see shitfest after shitfest with no changes?

15. wjc says:

Canadiens will go deep in the playoffs.

Bad nights happen to all teams. Canadiens got their asp handed to them and still found a way to win.

Price is standing on his head, isn’t that what some were saying awhile ago he never does. He stole a game, Brodeur and Roy like. He is starting to remind me of Roy, and that is good, I think.

No panic moves allowed, keep your head up, look forward.

Learn from mistakes, and build on what works.

Remember all the bad things said about Price and realize things have changed.

The Canadiens hung in there, the third was better, the overtime showed they can finish the job.

Markov was off last night, Georges has to get back to what he does best, Murray has to play within his limitations, Subban was not great in the second period, Borgue has to pick it up, he is in a total funk, Briere may be finished, it happens, Diaz can’t play in a physical game, time for a Hamilton call up, at least one is ready to some action.

wjc

Good post sir.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, bad games happen to all teams, just not as many as the Habs have had, especially since Dec 1st.

I did not expect the Habs to be real contenders this season or next. I did expect more consistency and a system that better suited the players that Therrien has. More and more, he is proving to me, that he has no clue how to coach a team based on their skill set and he has no clue how to adjust during games. All he seems to be able to do, is force the players to play one system, the grinding system, and if it weren’t for Price and blocked shots by players, the Habs would be on the outside looking in on a play off spot.

That is the reality. This nonsense that if they make the play offs, anything can happen sucks. I will be happy when making the play offs is a given and the team has a reasonable chance to win every season.

Habfan17

• third generation haber says:

I’ll be happy when we have a reasonable chance of winning the cup. This treading water for the past 20 years has to stop. Unless players can help us to build towards a cup, they are just taking-up space and cap.

• RetroMikey says:

We’ve been treading in the mirky waters for so long.
          Basically this club has been bottom feeder dwellers and no chance to come up for air if changes are not made soon once and for all!
          I don’t buy the theory “we are a competitive team”.
          This team is in deep trouble.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Yay Habfan17! Well said… winning by fluke in the playoffs isn’t a strategy I want my team to have. I want them to be feared every night. To be a heavy odds favorite to win every night. This lack of spirit, determination, playing 20 minutes a night, no shows, etc… is so frustrating beyond the desperately poor officiating. We need a coach that has fire, personality English or French, or Moldavian, who cares!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• third generation haber says:

I love your optimism, but…

When u get out-shot, out-hit, and lose most of the puck battles, you might win a game (Thanks to your goalie), but u will never, ever, go deep in the playoffs.

The Hawks, Bruins, Penguins, Red-wings, Kings, cup winning teams were tough and very talented. We have some talent, but not enough, and no where near the toughness to survive even a single 7 game series against the beasts of the east. We have about 6 marshmallows on our team which is why teams desperately wanted to play us last year in round 1.

I honestly think the leafs could knock us out, and they are garbage!

We carry too many guys that are easy to play against 5 on 5. Guys that are good on the PP, and the shoot-out. Playoffs is war and we have very few warriors.

j.p. murray

• Their record this year when trailing after two periods is 2-14-2. That shows no heart, tenacity or grit. Sorry WJC many want a CUP winner and that is why we’re so P’O'd even when we win a stinker. We know we aren’t a CUP team when we rarely play 60 minutes.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

16. mksness says:

Carey made 4 brilliant saves last night. Very true. He also let in 4 goals. he has also let in 3 or more goals for the 5th time in his last 7 seven games. just kinda showing you what numbers can kinda say

So here is the thing. Stop with the best goalie in the world. best in the league. and especially the ONLY reason why we are winning. the team scored 5 last night. the D is leading the league in blocked shots. if you don’t think blocked shots help a goalie out you’re living in a dream world.

Price is having a very good year. he’s keeping us in it but he is only one part of the team. it can’t be his fault when we lose and only due to his glorious grace when we win.

So what is your point, should we stop cheering for him?

• mksness says:

i think other parts of the team should be getting credit.

I have read many comments here and throughout I see praise for PK, Plex, I don’t think people are being dismissive. BUt last night there weren’t many other bright spots. I fail to understand why praising the best player on the ice in a Habs uniform last night is a bad thing.

• Walmyr says:

ok…no more “Carey is the best goalie in the world”…

From now I’ll say “Carey is the best goalie in the NHL”

CHeers

• Listen hear Jaro, let it go, you left years ago and you went to a great team. Just be happy!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• wjc says:

You obviously have never seen Roy in his prime. Goals go in sometimes because you have absolutely no chance. It might be sort of like a great outfielder making spectacular catches and expecting him to catch a homerun ball in the upper deck.

Things do not work the way you seem to think they should sometimes the puck finds a way in, no matter what you do. 1000′s of goals have been scored against great goalies since the game began. That is hockey.

When Price plays like that he is the best goalie in the world or in the top 5 at least.

wjc

• RAM_TOUGH says:

mksness

3 of the 4 goals Price had no chance on. The 3rd goal was a perfect shot. U haven’t a clue!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• mksness says:

read my post. i didn’t say anything about the goals he let in. you should learn how to read. u missed the point

• athanor says:

That response is so disingenuous as to be risible. You said he made four great saves and he also allowed four goals. No mention the fact that he had absolutely no chance on at least three of them, four if you accept what Boone and TV commentators said.

Your strong implication — indicated by your mention of previous multi-goal games (in which, by the way, he also played exceptionally and had no chance on most of the goals that went in) was that he was to blame.

So, I would argue that Ram did not miss the point at all. Your turning abusive doesn’t make your initial statement any more accurate.

• Habsrule1 says:

Price made out of this world save after out of this world save. For you to even downplay his play in the least is laughable.

• mksness says:

4 big saves. 4 goals( but it’s okay because like he had no chance on any of them.)

i don’t want to hear about the best performance of his life when he let in 4 lol. he kept us in it no doubt. he made 4 fantastic saves which were all on TSN.

TEAM leads the league in blocked shots!!!!!!!!! really something that gets no credit

• Habsrule1 says:

There were more than 4 big saves. There’s not enough time on Sportscentre to show them all.

Here’s an idea. Watch the game, not just the highlights.

Go Habs Go!!

The fact that you don’t think people here recognize the blocked shots I find perplexing.

I think in your heart of hearts you are not a fan of Price and find it hard when he gets praise. That’s okay, some people aren’t big fans of PK, or Markov or Max. We are all entitled to our opinions.

17. rljmartin says:

We all know a win is a win and the pro-MT faction here say “but look where Habs are in the standings…. nobody expected that”.
    Well some days ago I asked this faction, with the exception of the penalty kill, PK and Price who or what on this team has/have improved since the first 20 games of the season? Did not get any replies then, doubt we will today either.
    Coaching is about improvement, anyone see it?

Here is a curious coincidence… in heavy industries that use gas cylinders like oxygen for example, when a cylinder is empty they use a chalk and write in big letters on the side… MT

18. rljmartin says:

MT has created a new standard…. What is the most dangerous lead in hockey? 3-0 obviously!

19. Mike Boone says:

Self-promotion: I’ll be on 590 The Fan in TO this morning at 11 with my old Gazette colleague Jeff Blair. He’ll ask me what’s wrong with the Canadiens. What should I tell him?

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

• rljmartin says:

Tell him they can’t hold a 3-0 lead.

• Ian Cobb says:

Tell him we are just to classy, we never want to blow another team out. We always let them back into the game to play!!

• Habfan17 says:

Coaching and the need for a 2nd line left wing, O’Reilly and a second pairing right handed defenseman with a nasty side!

Habfan17

• RetroMikey says:

Boone….BIG IS BETTER in the NHL!
      SMALL IS EVEN BETTER in the KHL!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Old Bald Bird says:

For one thing, they never seem to take the body when someone is advancing on the net. Lots of weak stick poking. Every now and then, this team decides to play a more physical game but they soon regress because it’s just not in their DNA to play physically. For the most part if someone wants to drive to the net, he can.

Tell him that the Leafs could really use some seasoned veteran dmen like Diaz and Bouillon and that Montreal is willing to take Gardiner off their hands.

Hey Mike, tell that Winnipeg born Habs Fan Blair that he can show a bit more love for Habs on the airwaves, that there is a pile of Habs fans listening, even this ex Winnipeger!

• Cal says:

Apart from maybe 6 players, everything. ;)

Seriously, have you ever seen a “grinding” team give up so much ice so bleeping easily?

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Tell them the truth! No holds barred.

Guts-Glory-Ram

And Boone, I will definitely tune in to hear you. CHeers Mike!

• TMan1969 says:

Firstly reunite Markov/PK and then play like they did the last 12 min of last nights game, because if they played like that the whole 60 min – Ottawa would’ve been buried in the 1st.
      The main issue it seems is players losing their drive or having none – aka Borque, sometimes Moen…and weak defensive pairings.

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

• You can’t expect a new GM in to come in and poof the team is better. It takes time and for now the Habs win and lose with PK and Price.

They have no 1st line players, a few second line players, and a whole lot of soft third and fourth liners.

The size we have plays small, and coaching is average with little creativity.

But hey what do I know? :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

The truth.

We know who the passengers are and who drives this group’s success. Unfortunately, so does every other GM in the league. We are unable to unload the Diaz, Bouilion and Bourque’s of the world. We often win in spite of their performance. We are a second tier team in a first tier standing. Our goaltending will continue to determine the success of our season. The month of January will determine our fate.

Scary, unbelievable stat of the day. Montreal has the best record in the Atlantic division over the past 26 games.

• rljmartin says:

Don’t dress a guy who will play 4 min. … Gotta roll 4 lines in today’s NHL.

Please tell him:

1) We are the softest team in all of hockey: Diaz, DD, Markov, Briere, Gionta, Pleks. Good players (mostly), but they shouldn’t all be on the same team.

2) In 2006, 2008, and 2009 we appear to have drafted dead people (CFL).

3) The province of Quebec hasn’t produced many NHLers in the past few years, so we’re forced to sign dead weight like Briere.

4) The organization is under constant pressure to win, so we can’t take one step back (a full youth movement/ trade the vets) in order to take two forward.

5) Our previous GM’s thought it wise to trade away Ryan McDonagh and to draft Kostitsyn over some guy named Getzlaf.

• Walmyr says:

Take Timo with you and let him speak!!!….

CHeers

• RAM_TOUGH says:

I can take a few hrs off work to be your bodyguard Boone! I can buy U the a few Scotches I owe U!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Remind the faithful hogtown listeners that:
      the Habs are higher in the standings than the Leafs (and ask what’s wrong with the Leafs?)

We have a better goalie.
      We have a better star defenceman.
      We have better prospects.
      … and our ill-advised free agent signing only has one year left after this year, not six.

Better being a Habs fan than a Leafs fan.
      _______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

Tell him nothing.

Don’t need him going to the leafs and divulging our very few weaknesses!!

20. BJ says:

Man oh man the 3-0 curse. They have to find a way to counter that. I did not expect them to win after that but the “Hockey Gods” took pity on Price who was Patrick Roy like miraculous last night. It could have been a 9-1 type loss the Canucks took a couple of days ago. Without Price this year we are again looking at a top 3 pick.

21. montreal ace says:

Bourque would be on the waiver wire this morning, and heading to Hamilton if I was MB. I have defended him on here and am sorry I ever did.

22. Price was amazing (not a surprise as he is on most nights), the Habs were horrible in the second, the Sens ran out of gas in the third, and PK made them all look like Pylons in OT.

Congrats Habs! FYI the Leafs will come harder on Saturday.

Coach Therrien, I have my team break out like you did last night, and it works

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

23. stevieray says:

Morning all. Watched last nite debacle…2 points is 2 points but I am concerned ..we can’t rely on Price to continually keep us in games .. 8 shots in 2 periods …38 shots against ..in 2 periods ?? That’s 2 out of the last 3 games we have stunk it up … don’t like
    the trend here . especially at this stage of the season .. we don’t seem to be getting better . Briere and Bourque ..no shows again. Diaz hasn’t had a goal all season and he is suppose to have offensive upside. Gorges..well I love the guy ( love may be to strong of a word :)…a true warrior but not a top 4 Dman .
    I hope MT is on his way out ..but I’m afraid MB is to proud of a man to admit he may not have picked the right man for the job . Give the reins to Gallant.
    Talent wise offensively I don’t think we are as bad as we look although size continues to be a concern both upfront and on the blue line.
    So i’ll take to 2 points and move on to Sat nite. This should be a good tilt …however we don’t know what Canadien team will show up .
    Have a good day Partners

• Ian Cobb says:

2 points is two points my friend, but they are not coming looking very pretty. Thank Gawd for Price!!
      We are one of the worse teams in the league, playing with a lead. Does Therrian say, OK boys that’s enough, start defending our net!
      Must have been 50 to 20, shots on goal!

• third generation haber says:

Very true. And you know what 3 prizes u get for struggling all season while your goalie stands on his head: 1) an early play-off exit. 2) a crap draft spot 3) no improvement moving forward because of prize number 2.

But seriously, could another coach make much of a difference? MT (I’m not a fan of his), is doing what he can with the line-up he was given. BTW, Gallant doesn’t speak french, so he would be Cunnyworth part 2.

24. RetroMikey says:

Plain and simple. This team is not a playoff contender period.
    No work ethic whatsoever what Therrien has been coaching.
    We are no better than last season or seasons previous to that.
    Not consistent and no intensity from the team whatsover.
    Carey Price stole this game, and about 6 or 7 other games this season, it not for him, the Habs would have about 46-47 points. They remind me of the Sabres of a few years ago when Miller would single-handedly make his below average team reach the playoffs.
    Price is fooling the Habs faithful into thinking their team is better than they are. Lucky win in my opinion.
    Bergevin should start bringing up some young guns from the farm (Pateryn, Tinordi and Blunden)and consider making some major trades (Gionta, Briere, yes even Plekanec and Markov).
    I assure everyone here that one day Price will want to be traded to a Stanley Cup contender with others like Subban and others if they don’t see the team improving on Bergevin’s 5 year plan!
    The future is now I say, let’s go shopping Bergy!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

Wow. I’m shocked. Spreading doom and gloom after Price’s win like this.

• piper says:

Agree. Price is fooling a lot of the faithful. You’re absolutely right about who should be moved. You have to give to receive.

• Price is fooling the faithful? Don’t be silly, everyone knows this team is average at best, in a horrible conference and that Price is the reason for success.

MB said when he came in he will build through the draft, and that means just that. Fans aren’t going to like it because they want it fixed now, but it doesn’t work that way…….what am I doing even conversing with you, waste of time……NICE SIGNATURE :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

Oh come on Shane, we are all stupid and only Retro can actually see what is happening in games. We need his brilliance here to show us the way. Afterall he is the same person who usually thinks Price sucks, he is a Guiding Light for all of us.

• RetroMikey says:

If the East is a horrible conference as you say, how much worse will the Habs get if they play in the Western Conference where there are bigger and grittier players in LA, St. Louis, and San Jose to name a few?
        Be blessed they are playing in such a weak Eastern Conference because they would be humiliated and physically hurt if they played game in and out with these bigger teams.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

25. Dear Carey, after the first period and a 19 save performance that included many nice saves, I went on air and said you had to be better to beat Luongo at Sochi. I’m sorry, I’m not very bright and TSN wants me to push the controversy.
    Signed Darren Dreger

Dear TSN
    The Olympics are three weeks away and Luongo has been injured since December. No coaching staff on the planet is going to put an ailing goaltender in nets and besides that, 2010 was then and this is now. Carey Price will be number one, Mike Smith #2, and Roberto will be that figure head sitting in the stands. Great guy but he’s hurt and you don’t even sniff at players like that. We can’t say anything out of respect for Roberto but please, ease up on the goalie drama. FYI Dregs is right out of er!
    Signed Steve Yzerman

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

26. Old Bald Bird says:

I am conflicted about the two points. A win of any sort is great, but they deserved to lose … and by a huge score. It may have been better to lose, sink out of the playoff picture, and get a higher draft choice.

There should be nothing satisfying about the win although, strangely, there is. It was an awful effort with an hilarious ending.

Even earlier in the game when we were still winning, I wondered if at this point in time the Habs were not the worst team in the league or at least in the discussion for the honour. This morning, I still do.

Something is very wrong. We have yet to see if it’s temporary or permanent.

For two periods, I don’t know if I have ever seen a more one-sided game.

When you begin to think that Campoli would improve the defence …

I think the only hope on the backend is to play Subban and Markov together and hope they can play for 30 minutes.

• CJ says:

I like the notion of wheeling Markov and Subban 30 minutes a night. Especially Subban. Our defence needs to to be firmed up though. If players in Hamilton are not better then our bottom three, then I have grossly overestimated our future talent.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

What’s wrong is this: There’s a band of ice from the boards out about five feet that goes all the way around the rink. I call it the Futility Zone. Mtl players CANNOT come out of that zone with the puck. Recently, another area of ice–the Free Zone–has developed in front of both nets where MTL also refuses to venture. You cannot win hockey games conceding 50% of the playing surface to the other team. Why is this allowed to go on? Is it a question of size? Partly, yes. But what of our much vaunted speed? You’d think we’d be able to counter the size thing by beating the other team to the puck? Not happening. Why? Either we’re not giving it or maybe, just maybe, our speed is more myth and real. I think it’s a combination of both. And I also think there’s nothing to be done about it — not this year anyway. There are just too many holes to plug.

• Wintercount says:

Habs vs Soviet Union, New Years eve.

27. CJ says:

Last night perfectly illustrated Erik Karlsson’s season. He was directly responsible for two Senators goal, which at the time got them back into the game. If the Sens don’t score those two goals to finish the first period 3-2, it’s game over. He was indirectly responsible for the fourth goal, which put the Sens up 4-3. He is a great skater, able to push the puck and create offense single handedly. His shot almost always finds the net, and he is a wonderful tape to tape passer.

Now, what many in Ottawa care not to see is the bad. He was totally responsible for the first goal, getting caught pinching and not having the defensive awareness to recognize Pleks and the breakaway potential. Then, when up 4-3, he gets caught inside the hash marks, pinching in a one goal game in the third period. Now, in overtime, he turns it over and fails to play defence. Despite his three even strength points, he finishes the night even. He is among the wrist plus minus in the league, which I attribute to his selfishness. Look, I know I’m critiquing one of the best defencemen in the league, but I can’t stand the blind love in for this player. IMO, last nights three stars were Price, Turris and Pleks.

Turris, signed for $3.5 million for five years is the best bang for Buck player in the league.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, I just get tired of the local media going crazy for Karlsson.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Maybe he needs a firm, personal development program applied by a wise mentor.

• CJ says:

Denis Potvin?

Probably not funny unless you get to hear him do a Sens broadcast on sportsnet.

Seriously, the kid has high end talent. Just unreal. If he ever became a 200ft player, it would be scary for the rest of the league. The Sens will not win a playoff series with that wide open run and gun unless they get amazing goaltending.

• Wintercount says:

It’s not “blind love” it’s pure enjoyment, watching creativity mixed with imagination always rules the day. I don’t care what team it plays on.

• CJ says:

Blind love in the sense that you completely disregard the negatives. Cowen is being called a goat in ottawa today. He had two points, but was on for goals against. Karlsson, with three points was also unable to effectively defend against three Montreal goals including the OT winner. I’m calling a spade a spade. Kalsson was chosen as the second star last night. IMO turris had a better game.

28. Plekasuares says:

Price, Subban, Plekanec can carry us far however, it is how bad your bad players are and not how good
    Your good players are. We will be just fine in Toronto on Saturday. But man does Bourque need something to go for him.

29. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. Missed the game last night so Boone’s ALN and highlights will have to suffice. Happy for Mavid. Enjoy your day all. CHeers.

Living in Laffland and being a sports junkie I tend to watch most Leaf games (When Habs not on TV) and over the years I have seen Toronto outplay Ottawa many times. It’s funny, Toronto usually beats Ottawa by physically intimidating them, yet that same Ottawa team seems to always be able to physically intimidate our Habs.

Ottawa certainly have big Dmen, and they seem to be able to manhandle our forwards. Yet going into our game against Toronto I have no worries from a physical perspective. The Leafs dmen are Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Rielly, Gleason and Frasnson.

I actually am optimistic that the Leafs game could be a nice game for our Habs. But, I would have no issues seeing Mr. Tinordi join the team on Saturday, perhaps Carter Ashtons nose would like to meet Tinordi again?

31. piper says:

Was I ever wrong about Bourque. I guess it was his much needed size that kept me hoping he would get back to the way he played his first few games when he arrived.
    He looks like he just want’s out.

32. thebonscott says:

Timo, what took you so long to give up on bourque??? I gave up on him at least 2 months ago, better off playing short handed. Any chance we can convince Burke he is truculant?? And I dislike Gorges more and more each game, I’d have mactavish on speed-dial trying to offload him.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• Thats funny. I remember when he was signed to his long term contract that some here were putting a “C” on his chest. Never liked him either, yet he’s a long termer. Doesn’t check, has NO offense, all he does well is bloc shots. MT has to go too. One more year with him and then the BS with a need for a “French” coach starts again. We’ll never win another cup if we keep that BS up

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

33. Why is Tim Peel still a ref? Why can they put their whistles away and the NHL still consider themselves a professional league? What can be done about this? I’ve been frustrated for years about these jokers!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

34. DipsyDoodler says:

Amid the horror, how about Tomas Plekanec? Obviously playing hurt after the 1st period, but he never stopped trying.

35. DipsyDoodler says:

Need to do something but what?

So I think I understand what Therrien means when he says we are a grinding team. If we don’t focus on defence, “bottling up the neutral zone” (as they say), winning puck battles, this is what happens. Given that we have exactly 6 players who have any chance of generating offence (PK, Marky, Plex, DD, Max, Gally), we have to play boring grinding hockey. We also happen to have very weak defence men who need the forwards’ help to get the puck out of the zone even when there is no pressure from the other team.

The notion that we can just fly around the ice like the 1976 Canadiens is unfortunately wrong.

Diaz and Murray were woeful, as expected, but what about Gorges? How many times did he cough up the puck, even when he had time and space?

Should we just reunite Marky and PK, and just play suffocating NJ style hockey when they’re not on the ice?

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t buy that. Yes, they need to pay attention to defense, but they get into trouble when they sit back and play that grinding style. They don’t have the big bodies to win those battles.

They have success when they play the whole game as they did against Chicago, with speed, aggressive on the fore check, and puck possession. Therrien messed up having the 4th line on for a defensive zone face off with 1:20 left in the first and a 3 to 1 lead, against Ottawa’s first line. Ottawa doesn’t score, maybe a completely different outcome!

Habfan17

36. Mavid says:

Wonderful…after booing PK….yes Norris Trophy..Olympian PK all night for what appeared to be no reason…he gave it to them in OT..simply fantastic..I was at a game that were we finally beat them in their own barn (sort of)..and Price..well there is not much else to say that has not already been said..unfriggenbeleivable…even the homers were raving which is a rare thing for sure, after some of those incredible saves even some of the Sens fans were standing and bowing..today I am a happy happy girl..don’t you negative nellies rain on my parade..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

37. Mavid says:

are the comments not working again..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

38. Habfan17 says:

The second Ottawa goal is all on Therrien! What was he thinking with a 3 to 1 lead and 1:20 left in the period and having Prust and Parros and I believe Moen against a line with Spezza and Karlsson on the ice for a defensive zone face off?

If Ottawa does not score there, then maybe it is a different game. The Habs need a coach that can actually coach when the team gets leads like the 3 – 0 lead they had. They should not sit back, they should not change things up, and they should not have a the 4th line out against the first line for a defensive zone face off ever! let alone with less than 2 minutes in the period!! Thank you Mr. Therrien!!!

Habfan17

39. zephyr says:

I think our guys got out to a lead & then relaxed. it’s happened countless times b4 so it must be psychological. they stop working instead of laying a beating on a team. only in the 3rd when they had to play for a goal did they start playing again. pk grabs the ch when he scores. what he’s saying is he’s proud to wear the ch & will play his guts out for it. we have some guys who don’t play with pride.
    I thought murray was ok. people have to keep their heads up when he’s playing & he actually wins his board battles. it wasn’t a good nite for most of the dmen. georges, emelin & even markov looked bad on many occasions. having diaz & georges out there together is a recipe for disaster. plus how many times did I see a hab exiting our zone with the puck only to relax & cough it up stupidly? how many times does a guy need to get pantsed b4 he starts making sure?
    the refs stopped calling anything – again. another horror show. that non-call against max in the 3rd was awful. people need to make a stink. writers need to write about it & put some pressure on the nhl to shape up. only if a spotlight is cast on it will the nhl pay any attention.
    I wouldn’t be so harsh on bourque either. he played somewhat physical. I don’t recall he sucked more than the others. remember the habs have only 4 guys who are big & can score: max, chucky, eller & bourque. that’s it. u keep those guys. all of them have had slumps.
    I think mt is stifling our offense too. teams have their d pinch in on us so often & we struggle with the pressure. yet we don’t pressure the other team even with strong forechecking. u don’t give the other guys time to make plays no matter where u are on the ice.
    we seem to play 1 good game out of every 5. I think a coaching change is needed. our guys are underachieving.

40. Lafleurguy says:

Most called it a Karlsson turnover, but I saw a Gionta bodycheck that freed the puck for Subban. Ceci made a pass to a covered Karlsson.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habs-hampton says:

Agree with what you saw, but I still like to hear the golden boy turned it over!

• Lafleurguy says:

Share your feeling, but I feel the same about Karlsson as I do about Crosby.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree (I think). Karlsson is excellent and he had an great game. Would’ve been the 1st star if not for CP. I don’t get the hate for him.

I think many people here believe they can’t appreciate him as that somehow means they are being dismissive to PK? He is indeed a very nice player and Lafleurguy made an astute observation on Gionta making a smart play to free up the puck.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I think the hate comes from the homers pumping their boy up a wee too much sometimes. A bit like everyone’s hatred of Phaneuf.

• CJ says:

He is excellent. He also gives and takes away. Why would he be pinching inside the hash marks in a one goal game in the third period? He gets caught and we score. Offensively, he has no equal. Defensively he is a train wreck. How do you assess someone like that? I’ve said for three years now they need to introduce a new trophy, the Bobby Orr, which recognizes the play of the best offensive defensemen. Karlsson is that guy. However, to suggest he is the best all around defencemen in the league is an injustice.

41. stmarys says:

This week we have seen the HD version of the Sergio Leone Canadiens: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

But with the exception of the Penguins, hasn’t that been the MO of the entire East this year?

And the Canadiens have been better than most — at all three!!

Looking forward to the good at the AC!

…caught up in his paraphernalia\\\”

42. Lafleurguy says:

forskisJANUARY 16, 2014 AT 11:21 PM
    I just remembered something and those Habs fans in the GTA may appreciate this…

If you want to thank Price in person for stealing two points tonight, he and Gallagher will be doing a signing on Friday from 7-8pm at AJ Sports near Keele on Steeles…I do not want to deprive anyone of this info so I will post this again on Boone’s ALN and no, I do not work for AJ Sports, it is something I just realized people on this forum may want to know.

43. Biggest_Greek_HABSfun says:

Hey peeps listen up , the canadiens didnt come up big last night but if you take 2 points after a performance like that then your team has character ! And i mean it ! On our good day vs the hawks we felt that we can go far in the playoffs but now after last night i really believe that well do even better !

Please trade bourque back to calgary , also trade diaz for any pick , KEEP Briere for the playoffs.

44. WindsorHab-10 says:

This team cannot continue to play like this & expect to get a win by relying solely on our goalies. We have too much talent to be this lame & like Boone mentioned aren’t there players in Hamilton that can replace some of the stiffs we have? Gainey & Gauthier said no to Larry Robinson who begged for a job & chance to be with this team strictly as an assistant. Bergevin needs to step in and clean house starting with the head coach. Can’t stand seeing his ugly mug behind the bench. He’s not good for this team.

45. russ2445 says:

Finally P.K. Played his game. It might have only been for a minute or two in overtime but he played the waynP.K. can play. Like they say two points is two points but……. Like I said in my other post there are only 5 or six player on this team. No coach. I still think the G.M. Is having a hard time making trades. Why Bourque he never wanted to be in Montreal, just putting in time. Bad, I could smell the game in Nova Scotia. Can a team play with 5 forwards,3 defences men and 1 goaltender in the N.H.L. ? The answer is “yes” the Habs domeachnand every night.

Russell Fielding

46. rhino514 says:

Didn´t watch the game, but I hope this provides mounting evidence that the team just needs one solid defensive Dman to permit them to go back to playing a more creative, open-ice, offensive game and play to their strengths. They cannot go back to trying to win 2-1 hockey games, it just isn´t going to happen. They really don´t need to do much to right the ship before the trade deadline. So many goals near the end of the period suggest a lack of concentration more than anything.

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

Heads-up for British Columbia Habs Fans:

…Frank Mahovlich will be attending the next Abbotsford Heat vs Hamilton Bulldogs game scheduled for Friday, January 31st @ 7:00 PM (PST)

…Frank will be available in the concourse to meet and greet, and sign Your underwear, if You are wearing any, or anything else You may prefer

…there is a second Heat vs ‘Dogs game on the following night (Saturday, February 1st) at which Frank will not attend)

…centre ice tickets going for $ 39, including taxes

…see You there :)

• HabFab says:

He was my original favorite player… big fan!
      Grew up as a Leaf fan but with how he was treated in Toronto and then traded turned me off them forever.
      Being a good proud Canadian boy, of course I had to switch to Montreal (6 team league)
      Good thing too, because we soon moved to Montreal.
      And then of course the big guy followed me :)

PS; there are more Hab fans then Leaf fans in my family now… but I was the first.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Aaaah, the Big M…only player I never saw put on the brakes. Always the giant swooping turn. Beautiful thing to watch but man did it ever drive my dad nuts.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Price was worth the price of admission

…the Team needs some new blood, especially on D

…the Bulldogs are not setting the AHL on fire, but time to start giving some NHL time for Pateryn, Tinordi and/or Beaulieu

…even with some rookie yips, Markov-Subban, Pateryn-Emelin, and Beaulieu-Tinordi would be tighter than what We have now, plus the ever-elusive quality of MOAR !!!

Tonight was the night I officially gave up on Bourque.

50. Captmax says:

I was very surprise how Gionta and Plekanecs were roughed up! Therrien never looked to even the score… Wait we don’t have those style of players. We need them. Badly. Not Parros but more Moen and Prust to exact revenge. It hurt to watch them being bullied!

Stop with Murray hate. He plays a solid game. Hell some of you want to trade Markov after 2 goals no wonder it’s confusing. Murray had a bad game. Some nights it’s the pairing. You never know what or where the partner is doing and you get lost. He’s tough and a great defensive d man.

Yeah Eller didn’t look out of place. But again Therrien throws a natural center on the 1st line wing, totally confusing the kid. He played well but seemed apprehensive. But another great trade Audition. Showing interested teams how versatile he is. Might as well stick a “for sale” sign on his back.

Obviously Bourque, like Cammalier before him, isn’t happy here! Trade him, but please find someone who can handle the pressure!!

TO will be a dog fight. It is a fight we can’t afford to lose.

Capt

51. Man Dingga says:

First off I’m so happy we won tonight. Ok now if there was any doubt who should start in Sochi for Team Canada, it was answered tonight. I always knew we had a good goalie but what Carey displayed tonight was simply unbelievable! It took me back to when I was a teen watching Patty was putting on a show. Awesome, simple awesome! Go Habs Go!

Habs get day off tomorrow. I can feel it.

53. jctremblay says:

Habs are a very modestly talented team with an all world goalie, Subban, MaxPac, Pleks, Markov,Gallagher…and that’s about it for guys you can count on every night. I’m amazed that they are winning as many games as they are..I expected a big fall back season this year. In 2 years, they’ll be near contending status if they make all the right moves. That’s cool with me. If you are looking for long term success,,you’d be OK with what’s happening right now. Short termers are going to be bitterly disappointed..Any team with size and 4 lines will kill this team in a 7 game series..the least bit of sustained physicality will wilt them. If this is still the case in 2 years, I’ll eat my hat..and it’s a nice hat..lol..patience is a virtue.

Why can’t Habs get players like Bobby Ryan? I mean, Ottawa got him without sacrificing their future.

PK is a stud. Price too. That;s pretty much where it ends for this team.

• Lafleurguy says:

No. 1 pick, 23 yr old Jakob Silfverberg, 20 yr. old Stefan Noesen.
      I agree that the Senators have depth. Reason they were competitive last year without Spezza, Karlsson, Cowan, and Anderson for most of last season.

• CJ says:

I’m not sure there is anything more to say. Ryan is great, but the Sens essentially gave up three first round picks for him. Oh, by the way, Ryan is a UFA next year.

55. Doooie86 says:

Fair assessment Boone but I think you forgot to mention DD – he had a goal and a helper and spurred a few bouts of puck possession. I am baffled as to why Therrien had Parros on the ice as long as he did. The guy is just not an NHL quality player.

56. PeterD says:

I’m thinking MB buys out Bourque this off season if he can’t move him in a trade. And I’m thinking a trade is highly doubtful given his complete lack of contribution.
    With the Cap projected to go up considerably next year it makes sense to buy Bourque out for $1.66M against the Cap instead of paying him $3.33M for the next 2 years.
    I can’t imagine this useless player continuing to take a roster spot from a young hungry talent in the system for 2 more years.
    Enough is enough…come on MB…get rid of this piece of dead wood as soon as you can.

57. jols101 says:

Just got home from the game. Price stole the show. Without him we are a pretty lousy team. PK made some beauty stretch passes and electrifying rushes. The loudest the Sens fans were all night is when they were booing our boy Subban, which they did every time he touched the puck. Terrible game by many Habs but we still got 2 points, I guess that is a positive.

I think PK celebrated too much… Therrien must ban all that pulling on the jersey stuff. Team comes first and that will never never never never change.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I’d laugh, but then there is every possibility that Therrien scolded him after. ” I know you scored dee winner der, PK, but…”

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

59. HABitat4humanity says:

Please bench Borque for at least 3 games.

If we r going anywhere, we need more 3rd & 4th line scoring.

Use Subban on forward. Change the looks if the habs. Other teams have figured out our strengths & countered them.

60. Smiths Falls Habs Fan says:

People saying Murray was bad.. Jorges was pretty terrible too but none of you are complaining about his game..

61. CH Marshall says:

Just saw the highlights. Wow Carey.

62. Sportfan says:

Jeez if this is the attitude after a win, I think the next time we lose I’ll be on hiatus for a bit :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

63. Propwash says:

In case you missed some of Price’s best…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

64. Sportfan says:

Look Murray has a bad game, or two but he’s not as bad as people say, he gets so much crap for a 5th-6th dman its unbelievable!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

65. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeesh, if not for Carey, this could have been Canucks-versus-Ducks bad. And that’s no exaggeration. We have a few very good players: Pleks, Patches, Price, and PK. And I’ll add Markov and Gallagher there, even though it spoils the alliteration. And when those guys all play at the top of their game, we are able to win games even against superior teams. But 6 quality players are not enough for prolonged success. Too many holes. Too many weaknesses. And no easy fixes.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

66. Propwash says:

Wins are wins no matter how you cut it. Price is more than living up to the elite standard everyone has been expecting of him through the years. I’m sure a large part of that is due to Stephane Weight’s coaching.

I don’t think many expected the team to be where they are in the standings at this point in time of the season. Yes, it’s been rocky, but I for one still have enough faith that they’ll at least start turning some things around and tighten up for the final leg of the season and the playoffs. I can only hope they stay healthy in the process. Any long-term injuries to key players can be devastating.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

67. Say Ash says:

Luongo is not better than what we saw tonight. No way.

68. krob1000 says:

brought my youngest…luckiest kid around. What a game! yeah Habs had rough 40 mins but holy crap what an incredible game….every goal by both teams was good. Price was unreal and to be in the oppositions building witnessing the fans frustration was something……to see the roller coaster in full motion (habs up 3 and then despite Price’s heroics cough up 3 goal lead and give up 4 unanswered). Unreal…..then Pleks who appeared injured earlier gets the tying goal and Subban who was booed by the same folks who will cheer for him 4 weeks from now iced the cake. Just incredible…..

Positives….everything Boone said…AND my little guys unbelievable streak is now at 4 games…he got yet another puck flipped over the glass to him in warm up…Parros again!!!
    Negatives….Ottawa intimidated the Habs again……Kassian and Smith and even Conacheer were constantly giving dirty shots after every whistle and in between. Paul Maclean played the Habs like a fiddle….his tough guys harassed the Habs talent and then therrie would repeatedly follow up witht he Parros line with Murray on the back end but by then Ottawa just threw out a scoring line and dominated. IF Therrien was trying to push back he should have called them off a few secs in because it was so predictable and so effective for Ottawa.
    Refereeing…I saw Tim Peel before the game and knew what was coming…but still nothing prepares you for his bias against the Habs. There were probably a half dozen obstruction or flat out penalties ignored tonight…even the Ott fans were laughing about it.
    That game was like playoff hockey in the sense the refs put away the whistles….could be an opportunity to evaluate if they think about the situation. The game was seriously called like a cup final game…everything went including countless slashes to backs of legs, tackling, holding sticks, picks, puck over glass (hard to tell from where I was but Habs bench was upset, hitting guys nowhere near the puck? a few submission moves and ground and pounds on our Habs in front of the net..was really bizarre actually…credit to the Habs they fought through it but many were pissed…..how does this happen in this day and age?

69. drail222 says:

There is no way that bealieau and leblanc can do any worse than diaz and bourque. and i like gionta but he’s done. never thought i’d be wanting to see ryan white back, at least the guy’s trying!! briere..is…french?

70. shakey says:

a disgraceful, embarrassing effort. after a win like that, players should not be celebrating – they should be ashamed of themselves and donating at least half their paycheques to price. get off the ice and know that you played like crap, and were damn lucky to get the win.

and why is rene bourque even playing in the nhl?

disgusted with the whole thing.

71. BCG says:

The analysis on Price has been long-term – a bad game doesn’t mess with how we see him. Why not do that with the whole team?

72. MikeHabs says:

This game was all about Carey Price really and you can arguably say the season has been as well. He’s been unbelievable and main reason for where MTL is today in the standings. Was good for Plek to get two goals, one getting a bit of help from Cowen. Also, thanks Karlsson for the turnover to allow Subban to create a chance for himself and score the winner!

Some folks are mad about how PK reacted to scoring and what not. I have no issue with it plus his love to the crest (seen here http://imgur.com/uHggldA) was towards Habs fans in the crowd and that was confirmed by artist Annakin Slayd who was at the game.

—————
    How the recent CHL trades impact Habs prospects going forward and their playoff opportunities: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/deadline-day/

• BCG says:

I haven’t read the comments about P.K. because there is too much bias. If there is detrimental comments about his reaction – then too bad for those posters. He showed love for the crest – and those posters don’t.

73. Habcouver says: