About last night …

PKPhilly

Michel Therrien’s explanation for benching his leading scorer for most of the third period in a game the Canadiens trailed by two goals:
“Team concept is very important.
“That will never, never, never change.”
Three “never”s.
Very emphatic.
Let’s see if we can top the kindly old coach:
The Canadiens will never, never, never, never make the playoffs if Therrien screws up P.K. Subban.

And the coach was not content with benching the Canadiens’ best player.

Down two goals late, Therrien did not bother pulling goaltender Peter Budaj.

What message does that send to his team?

“You bozos will never, never, never, never, never score a goal anyway, so I’m not even going to let you have an extra skater to try.”

And if I’m P.K., I’m on the phone to my agent Thursday morning telling Don Meehan to take my next contract to arbitration and then get my ass out of Neverland.

OK, that’s a bit extreme.

But the benching – along with a half-season’s worth of lukewarm, grudging praise from Therrien and general manager Marc Bergevin – has to have P.K. wondering whether the Canadiens’ braintrust is giving him the respect his talent deserves.

Canadiens fans love him.

General managers of 29 other teams would love to have him.

But in the executive suite of the Bell Centre, Subban seems to be something of an enfant mal aimé.

Maybe it’s because in their pre-game interviews with RDS’s Pierre Houde, P.K.’s hat was snazzier than Bergevin’s green shirt.

If the Canadiens were being run out of the Wells Fargo Center, maybe the coach sends a few messages. But this was a winnable hockey game, and the best skater wasn’t on the ice.

Yes, Subban took a bad and selfish penalty at the end of the second period.

As the siren sounded, he was roughed up behind the Canadiens’ net by Philadelphia fourth-liner Chris Vandevelde. A scrum ensued, and P.K. took an ill-advised poke at Sean Couturier.

Subban began the third period in the penalty box. Then he skated to the Canadiens’ bench, where Therrien kept him for the next 10 minutes.

The message was old-school and perfectly clear: You hurt the team, so you sit.

OK, fine.

But I guess the Western Union office closed before Therrien could send a message to Rene Bourque, who has yet to record a point in 16 road games this season.

Or to Max Pacioretty, who was comatose for 40 minutes but took a regular shift in the third period.

Or to whoever is drawing up a power play that has become predictable, easily defended and consequently impotent.

There was no shortage of potential message recipients. The Canadiens were awful.

“Too many passengers,” concluded RDS analyst Marc Denis after the final siren. “Not enough emotion.”

P.K. Subban isn’t the reason the Canadiens lost in Philadelphia.

Nor can he be blamed for the way this flawed team has stumbled and bumbled since the beginning of December. It’s frightening to imagine where the Canadiens would be without the only player who can be relied upon to consistently move the puck into the offensive zone or pass it to forwards in motion.

Here’s the message someone should be transmitting to Therrien: P.K. Subban is your best skater … by a lot.

Quit effing with him.

How will the benching of P.K. play in the Canadiens’ room?

Short-term results were not promising. They had five shots on goal in the third period.

The better indicator will come Saturday night, when the Stanley Cup champions visit the Bell Centre.

If the Canadiens play as badly against Chicago as they did in Philadelphia, the Hawks could duplicate that pasting L.A. laid on the home side Dec. 10.

•  •  •

Two Guest Comments, from the game blog thread:

Adidess wrote

Ok, I missed the game tonight. Looks like the only thing of consequence I missed is the benching of PK on a night where apparently most players didn’t come to play.

You know, I have tried to follow MT’s actions and thought process closely since his infamous “making PK a better player and better person” proclamation, which I continue to find laughably weird considering the well-rounded person Subban is.

But hear me out here… Could it be that one night after having been named on Team Canada as part of the elite among the elite in the NHL, and only a few months after Subban won the Norris Trophy, MT came into this game thinking he might need to start breaking this guy again to reinstate the fears, doubts, fake humility he’d rather see in Subban’s eyes or maybe just so that PK understands the coach is not done ‘correcting’ him?

Okay, I’m speculating wildly here, but does that penalty deserve that response when we’re talking about the team’s best player and we’re down 3-1.

And from my friend J.Ambrose.Obrien:

I really didn’t have a big issue with the benching, nor the refusal to pull Budaj. In the context of such a listless performance, I can forgive Therrien’s frustration. But that doesn’t change my opinion that MT is not a good fit for this club. And I do find his relationship with PK strained and strange. Am I the only one who found it odd that, while stating how he thought Carey deserved to be on the national team, he then added “and PK, too” almost as an afterthought ?

It looks more and more to me like the team is tuning out.

•  •  •

News flash: Coach cuts off nose to spite face

Conférence de presse Canadien

1. John Q Public says:

Requesting deletion

2. strunzo says:

I have been a Habs fan for 70 years. I supported MT as the new coach for the Habs. I thought this team needed a kick-in-the-ass type of coach because they were underachievers. Now, MT must know more about what’s going on with this team but it does boggle my kind. We had a great trio of Gallagher,Eller and Galchenyuk. He broke them up presumably to spread out the talent. Now we have NO good lines. He breaks up Subban and Markov because they are defensively risky. They are both top team plus players. How does he feel about putting Boullion and Murray out together, they are about minus 99. Is he hiding the fact that this team is not very good, too small etc…and he is improvising to make them better? About the Subban benching, he had every opportunity to address that during the intermission behind closed doors. Remember Jacques Martin benching Subban for five games. Are we to assume that taught him a lesson and he went out and won the Norris. Lastly, as much as I like Markov, every game he gives up a two or three on one. He did it twice against Philly. Somebody help Emelin. He has zero confidence right now.

3. shiram says:

I’d like to remind everyone that last night’s loss, cannot be attributed to the players, or the coaching staff, it can’t even be justified by a strong Flyers team.
    No last nights loss rests squarely on my shoulder, for I ruined the reversed jinx in yesterday’s thread.

I promise to work harder next time, I’ll give a 100% and go back to basics.
    I need to be strong for next game, and I’ll work hard to be ready.

Again, sorry guys.

4. Big players block shots, and little players skate circles around their opponents.

Every time Therrien preaches shot blocking half the team is thinking you’re retarded coach!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

5. knob says:

We need to be able to adjust the power play. It seems as though teams set two guys low, one guy high and the other guy is like a yo-yo, following the puck high and low. PK and Markov are not getting any good looks and are taking low percentage shots from the outside. Montreal needs to have a secondary style to go to like trying to create offense from the side wall (Kovalev style) or from behind the goal line.

6. habsguru says:

i think MT should concentrate on making DD a “better person”. his blown coverage, edit, no intent to cover, was what set the pace in the first period. if PK didn’t take that penalty, he would be called soft, and selfish because he expected his teammates to fight his battles.

7. habstrinifan says:

I LUV it when HIO rumbles!

We do this better than any freakin site I have ever been on.

8. Phil C says:

I am all for the coaching staff keeping a short leash on PK. He is still growing as a player and he seems like someone who needs a firm hand, so I don’t worry just because he is not coddled, PK can handle it. Too many fans project their own sensitivities on to PK rather than trying to understand how PK reacts in those circumstances.

But Therrien went to far last night, the punishment did not fit the crime, especially given the game situation. You don’t do something that hurts the team to say that you shouldn’t hurt the team. The best player on your team who plays the game with intense passion should be given some leeway to occasionally let that passion get the better of him. Ironically, Therrien then made the same mistake he was punishing PK for. He let his anger and frustration get the better of him and the team suffered as a result.

Is this a big deal? Not really, but I hope Therrien woke up this morning and thought maybe I went to far.

As a side bar, I hate 7 D, 11F. It messes up the lines and the defense pairings. Especially on defense, a player never gets into any rhythm or flow. 11 forwards is a bit easier to manage, but at least one line suffers. Every now and then your 4th line keeps you in the game, but the Habs didn’t have one last night. If they don’t have faith in Parros to play, he needs to be waived and bring someone else up or at least a conditioning stint in Hamilton. We don’t have much top six depth in Hamilton, but there are several guys who could play on the fourth line.

• 24 Cups says:

This is going to be a six week dilemma so MB is going to have to take some kind of action. Here are a few ideas.
      - promote Dumont = Prust/Dumont/Moen
      - insert Parros = Moen/Prust/Parros
      - promote Leblanc = Bourque/Eller/Leblanc & Prust/Bournival/Moen
      - White eventually returns – Prust/White/Moen

9. frontenac1 says:

Should have dressed Parros.

10. JUST ME says:

Could not wait to see how many of you were blue in the face this morning as it always is on days like this but i saw that mister Boone placed the table for you to spit on so right then and there i knew you naturally fell for it.

For decades now that negative ambiance has been around the club within the fan club. By the way did you notice that they are not being called the greatest fans in the world anymore ? Just saying…

Wanted a coach that coaches ? You have one and still complain. Wanted discipline and commitment ? When it`s time to act then you change your mind ? Problem is not on the ice or behind the bench it`s within the so called most knowledgable fans in the hockey world ! Would not be fair towards the fans not to mention the brave contribution of the medias you looooove to love their team !

That being said nothing good was to come out of this game yesterday you could feel it right at the begining. Actually you could feel that the Flyers wanted it more and were more agressive on the puck and moving forward a second faster than the habs. Do not want to put the blame on Budaj cause it`s a team loss but guys are not playing the same way in front of him as they have been for 2 years now.

OK so let`s pick up the pieces and get ready for one huge test on saturday ,another one but this time against the best.

You guys have 3 days to reach the spitoon ! Lucky you !

11. twilighthours says:

Ronn is on a roll today….

“No, PK is not bigger than the team…. today’s players are independent millionaires….. if they don’t like a situation, they can just collect their guaranteed money and move on as a UFA when the contract expires. Yes Michel, you win…and the Habs lose.”

12. John Q Public says:

You WILL be assimilated.

13. habstrinifan says:

Two good listens this AM:

Bobby Dollas on the game and its happenings last night.
    Scotty Bowman on the omission of Martin St.Louis.

14. twilighthours says:

Ronn: “… you don’t embarrass you BEST player – your best player by far, in public and on the ice.”

Gospel.

15. habstrinifan says:

Prime Time:
    Has anyone thought that benching PK was a message sent to the rest of the team? That if you don’t perform anyone can sit? Maybe PK and MT aren’t a match made in heaven but that’s a situation for MB to manage. We’ll see if it’s as serious as the media and fans believe. Probably not!!!

formerly known as the hc: Agreed.

CJ:
    I wondered the same. The key pieces in this missing puzzle is what’s going on behind closed doors. What was said in the second intermission? After the game?

The biggest question, will the team respond on Saturday night against Chicago?

There’s genius everywhere I’m told. Which is why I am perusing this exchange with a fine tooth comb… and as to the team’s response…. 0 shots for half of 3rd period.. any clues there?…

just asking.

16. adamkennelly says:

MT is the Rejean Houle of Habs coaches….get him the fak outta here ASAP.

• wjc says:

Leave Reggie alone, he had a lousy budget to work with. He was in an impossible spot and could tell you a thing or two, but he is under a gag rule. He likes to keep his income, coming.

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

Poor guy had his problems… no wonder he always looked and looks as if he drank Anisette straight up.

Seriously though… Houle looks like a very humble and likeable man in real life.

17. Hobie Hansen says:

I didn’t think it was the smartest move to bench Subban for the first 10 minutes of the 3rd but I liked when Therrien refused to pull the goalie in the last minute. The players were looking back at Therrien and he was basically telling them that they stink tonight and they wouldn’t score anyways.

18. habstrinifan says:

Blah Blah blah blah and BLAH!

19. GL says:

No good complaining. We’ve done that for 20-years plus now and how are we doing still trying to make it through the 1st round of the playoffs.
    This team sucks. Very little talent, undersized and soft are the main reasons we can’t compete with the tough and skilled teams and I’m not so sure about the coaching. Looks like another 20 years of Bs!!
    The only reason we are in 4th in the eastern conference is because we’ve managed to beat most of the teams of our caliber and lucked in to beat a couple of better teams.

• wjc says:

Finally figured out complaining does not work…..I doubt it. There is no ‘we’ it is them. 29 other teams will suck this year, watch only one will win the CUP. 29 failures, how awful. Who will catch lightning in a bottle.

So the Canadiens are in 4th because they beat most teams of their caliber, sounds good to me, better then losing to the teams that are egual to the Canadiens.

Actually I enjoy the complaining, that is the most entertaining part of the HIO experience.

wjc

20. Habfan17 says:

Therrien is the biggest part of the problem in my opinion. He claimed that ice time would be earned, yet, game in, game out, their are certain players that are aloud to float for most if not all of the game and there are no repercussions for them.

Teams have lost the ability to light a fire under players who don’t give it their all. The Cap prevents them from scratching players and bringing players up to replace them and send a message.

Against Florida, Plekanec was on a 3 on one, was not being pressured and he passed the puck directly onto the stick of the Florida defenceman. Did ge get benched? then Desharnais was in the neutral zone when the Florida puck carrier was coming up where he was positioned, instead of taking him into the boards, he took a non-challant swipe at the puck and let him fly by.

The players see Therrien picking on Subban and letting other players off the hook, and that does affect the room. When you are still in the game and your coach benches your best player and there are other players that are guilty of not showing up and are less likely to help you win, then they scratch their heads and say thanks coach, you took away our chance to at least tie the game. Then to not pull the goalie! What did Therrien say in the room after the game, sorry guys Subban forced me to bench him, blame him for the loss!

Habfan17

21. Maritime Ronn says:

“I came here two years ago and he was a healthy scratch,” Bergevin said of Subban. “Our coaching staff did a great job with him.
    ———-
    He actually said that???
    Perhaps the coaching staff has helped in some small way, yet does that sound like a GM getting ready to commit $72M-$76M for the next 8 years? (that’s what it’s going to take)

Here’s hoping all this nonsense blows over, but……

I’m sure (hopeful) that GM Bergevin knows the CBA, and this time around, PK holds ALL the cards.

It’s called a player’s Right to Arbitration (the team can also take the player to Arbitration once in his career)
    An Arbitration ruling would easily award PK $6M-$7M for 1 or 2 years.
    And not to forget, PK has the right to refuse ANY long term contract offered by the Habs regardless of term and amount and elect to go to Arbitration.

If PK ever has a change of heart because of Habs ‘circumstances’, he could technically become a UFA in the summer of 2016.

Be very careful, Marc-Michel…….

• Phil C says:

You are right, PK holds all the cards this time around. If Shea Weber could get $7.5M from an arbitrator without a Norris trophy, PK could get that and more with the cap going up.

• wjc says:

I guess in your world the ‘coaching’ staff did a lousy job on him, that is why he won the Norris. Raw talent has to be nurtured by good coaching. If the coaches are unnecessary and the players deserve all the credit, then coaches should be fired because they cost alot of money.

If he becomes a UFA in 2016 then his heart is not in Montreal. However, with his personality he will make as much or more money on endorsements and Montreal is the perfect market for that. Toronto would be a great market for him as well.

Remember the saying “I don’t want Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket”…..that should be I don’t want the spoiled little boy tonight, I want P.K. Subbannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

wjc

22. wjc says:

People on here would have hated Toe Blake. They would have hated Scotty Bowman. They would have hated Pat Burns. They would have hated Pollock and Selke.

These coaches had very little tolerance for selfish players, that could not control themselves in difficult situations.

Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe would have said “bide your time and at the right time pay back”.

Terrien is supposed to let Subban do ‘HIS THING’, screw anything else.

Did the captain say anything, like perhaps, ” we are lost and the coach is making things. difficult.

My take is you coach to win, but there is a time that it is wise to trade off a nothing game in January for the greater goal.

Did Therien take a stand, you damn right he took a stand. Is Subban bigger then the team, he better not be, if he is then tear it all down and start again.

Babcock and a bunch of other coaches have control of their teams and that is acceptable in my world.

wjc

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Great post!

Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!

• CJ says:

Great points. Could be a case of the greater good at work. We have 9 games remaining this month. Finishing the month with a winning record will be key. I am willing to lose the two points to Philly if it means we beat those division opponents who we face later this month (3 of which are on the road).

• Habfan17 says:

At least they knew how to get their players to win the cup, and did, multiple times. What has Therrien won?

The stand Therrien took was not a team first stand it was an ego stand, an ” I am the Boss” stand. There were many other players more deserving of being benched and yet he let them keep floating around. You have to ask yourself, why is it always Subban, why not DD when he stinks out the joint, or Pleks, or Markov, or Patches? I could go on but I think you get the point!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Different system, different time, the 50′s, 60′s, 70.s was another era. Those days are not coming back, to coach back then meant you access to great players in a different system.

Universal drafts make it equal for all teams, as it should. But, to be able to grab players from a farm system of 13 teams is over and there are 30 teams as part of a growing $4 billion dollar gold mine.

wjc

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, different era’s but that still doesn’t not change what Therrien did was as wrong as what Tremblay did and the fact that if he wanted make a statement. he should have used one of the other players being truly selfish and hurting the team by floating around the ice. At least PK gives 100% all the time.

We are assuming PK put himself before the team, we do not know.
          All players take ill advised penalties and they should not always be benched for it. Sometimes the best course of action is to quietly sit down with the player and work it out. Therrien, not Subban cost the Habs any chance of winning the game. Contrary to some comments, every game counts and they are past the halfway mark, so it will be tougher to make up ground.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Every great player has lost it and had a brain cramp every once in a while, I am sure they weren’t benched. If it is indeed a case of PK being selfish, you hold a closed door meeting right after the game or between periods and you play him. The coaches goal is to win and there are no nothing games anymore. Losing the two points now may be the difference of the 8 and 9th spots at the end of the season. This was an example of a coach, coaching with his ego. he may want to take his own advice that he has given Subban and put the team first!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

No, PK is not bigger than the team, yet your comparisons are of an era long gone when no CBA existed, the players played for peanuts and worked summer jobs to make ends meet.

Today’s players are independent millionaires.
      A very different breed.

If they don’t like a situation, they can just collect their guaranteed money and move on as a UFA when the contract expires.
      Yes Michel, you win…and the Habs lose.

• habsguru says:

except Therrien is the only coach you mentioned without a stanly cup.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Tear down this wall Mr Bergevin!

• nbsjfan says:

Maybe you have valid points but did MT bench DD for his misguided lazy approach that caused the first goal? Did he bench Bourque for yet another crappy performance? Did he bench Markov for his selfish explosion that cost him a 10 minute misconduct in Nashville? Did MT bench himself for his two minute selfish penalty against Carolina? No Excuses? Bah. What a joke. No excuses seems to be aimed at only one player. Everyone else including the coach has all kinds of room for excuses.

This on top of Bergevin’s great response to how well the coaches worked with PK to get him on Team Canada. Give me a break. If they did such a great job, what gives with Emelin this year or Gorges? Where’s the great coaching with those two? Why haven’t any of our coaches been asked to work with Team Canada if they’re that good?

Didn’t take Therrien long to wear out his welcome……. again.

23. PrimeTime says:

• formerly known as the hc says:

Agreed.

• CJ says:

The biggest question, will the team respond on Saturday night against Chicago?

• Habfan17 says:

It is possible, but why him, why not Pleks. I think that would have sent a stronger message. He always targets Subban. Pleks has made his share of bonehead plays the last 2 or 3 games. If the message was the team stinks tonight, bench Gionta or Pleks, the guys who are supposed to be the leaders!

Habfan17

24. frontenac1 says:

Anybody remember Plex getting benched for 10 min for taking a bad penalty? Or Markov? Or DD? Or Max? Or Gio? I think Mike is in never,never,never land.

• CJ says:

Just to be fair DD, Bourque and Briere have been made healthy scratches. Being a healthy scratch is worse then sitting someone for 8 minutes. I’m only guessing, but I believe the reason this hasn’t been the case with others is the team is pressing to try and make a trade.

25. RetroMikey says:

Just a reminder to everyone,
    The team is a work in progress, year 2 of 5 plan for Bergevin to bring a Cup to Montreal.
    By year 5, Fucale may be our young Patrick Roy of 1986 bringing home a Cup, Galchenyuk could become MVP in the league, we may finally have an English speaking only head coach in the NHL,…. etc.
    But for the present and several more seasons ahead, this team ain’t going anywhere in the playoffs.
    Time to trade Gionta, Moen, Plekanec, Markov for fresh prospects and draft picks.We cannot linger on to these players who are getting older and are fighting to get contracts for their last years of playing in the league.
    To build a winner, you must tank as well.
    I’ve said this many years when Bobby was GM with a 5 year plan and nothing was done on his end where the team is comprised of midgets with speed and skill where we should have bigger players with grit instead in the NHL.
    That is how you build a winner.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “
      If you are looking for the answer, it’s the goalie.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• TheMostCupsPeriod says:

You’re a loser, and know nothing about “how you build a winner”.
      You always show up here when Habs lose to spew your loser nonsense. To be honest, I feel sorry for your dog.
      Your the loser buddy. If we win a cup, there will be a goalie in net, hopefully Price, but any idiot would know Price is one of the best goalies in the NHL and not the reason they wont….

• third generation haber says:

Enjoyed your post Mikey. I’m guessing your an older fan like myself who sees cup contention as the bar for the club de hockey. I too am willing to wait and have no interest in seeing us pull out all the stops to remain a bubble team of midgets.

As for the prospects and young guns, I have no idea how many of them will full develop, but as all recent cup winners have proved, a youth movement is essential to winning.

As for trading our vets, I couldn’t agree more. Our cup window has not opened yet. We don’t stand a chance in hell of competing in the playoffs against tough teams that will simply crush us. Price, and the fact that we play in the east, are the reasons our record is so inflated.

I would definitely trade Markov. He’s great! I love this player! But, he’s as soft as a Diaz and his value will quickly decline. He’s worth a first round pick to some teams, at the moment, and we can’t ignore this fact. I’d be willing to trade any of Markov, Gionta, Diaz, Pleks, DD, Briere, Bourque, but I wouldn’t trade Moen.

Our young talent, playing on an undersized team that isn’t ready yet, need to be protected. Until we can seize the cup, I believe we should beef up to protect them as best as possible.

Imagining a team down the line with (highly speculative):

G: Price/ Fucale

Subban/ Beaulieu
      Tinordi/ Emelin
      Thrower/ Dietz
      Pateryn/ Nygren

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Max, Leblanc, Bournival, Collberg, McCarron, DeLaRose, Hudon, first round picks in 2014 and 15, and some very intimidating enforcers,

gives me hope.

j.p. murray

• RetroMikey says:

Awesome post third generation haber, just awesome.
        Glad someone has the balls to voice their opinion as well and to know what cracks there are on this club and what is needed to build a winner.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Good post, but I have a couple of issues. Number 1, the coach has to be bilingual. In the only market in the NHL with two languages you need someone that can communicate in both languages. This will never change and it shouldn’t.

Making the playoffs and getting in a couple of rounds is important because as I have said before, THE MONTREAL CANADIENS are a business first. Their business is entertainment and they charge money if you wish to witness their product.

By moving players to quickly you miss the revenues because you would miss the playoffs. 5 year plans are just that, plans. You put the best product on the ice, this hopefully means some playoff revenues and if you are very lucky a chance at a cup.

The name of the game is maximize profits. Bettman has brought the NHL up from $400 million to heading to 5 BILLION. All the teams have benefited greatly. Ottawa, Buffalo and Vancouver are ahead of Montreal as far as deserving a cup goes…so get in line, it could be a long wait.

wjc

26. John Q Public says:

Mt is lost. The team comes first.
    PK is the team!
    Play him 40 minutes a night.
    C’mon.
    Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows.

27. This team is built for speed, and attack. The Montreal Canadiens haven’t had an attack first approach in years. Now mind you the Canadiens on most nights only have one line that scores (Max), but believe it or not Pleks’ line and Eller’s line are supposed to score, but they don’t on a consistent basis. The third line (old school) should be out there running and banging, and yes, blocking shots. Same for the 5 shifts the 4th line should get now and again.

But Therrien wants the entire team blocking shots first, and scoring second. You heard Therrien on 24CH, “we block shots”.

That’s retarded, stop 25-30 shots, and block another 25-30 shots. Who coach’s like that? Instead of letting the other team shoot 50 attempts a game, control the play, use the speed and manipulate the neutral zone, so the other team doesn’t get all those attempts.

Next, you have to let your players defend themselves in the scrum. Once that bum puts his glove in a player’s face, then that player should be ready to have his block knocked off. What does our coach do? Bench PK, and not just one shift but for half a period. The only player who plays determined hockey every shift.
    Did Murray and Bouillon get benched for their horrible play? Bourque shows up every other year, does he get benched during the game? Markov the last three games has been looking slow and making mental mistakes, does he get benched? Please.

Next, I don’t care how the team played up to the point of 58 minutes and 15 seconds! YOU PULL THAT GOALIE AND ATTACK. They (the players on the bench) all looked and wondered what the fork was going on. Two super hard shifts and you never know.

A lot of people say a new coach will not fix this, I say ANY coach with an offensive system will fix this.

Next, maybe Person was shut down and they couldn’t call up help, I don’t know, but if Person was open then bring up a forward, and get him in there. The team has injuries up front.

Lastly and I am repeating myself here….YOU DO NOT BENCH PK SUBBAN FOR THAT!

FYI HABS STAFF, every time you bench a SUPER STAR up for resigning you can add another million to tolerate incompetence!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• TommyB says:

Your comments on blocking shots are exactly what I think, as well. If you have the puck, you aren’t going to be blocking a shot. Therrien totally lost me, when he proclaimed that the Habs are a grinding team! Seriously? What are they grinding? Perhaps their teeth, at the thought of this moron coming into the room and onto the ice every day. We all knew MT would be a short-term, stop-gap solution. Surely his days are coming to an end, but likely not until the off-season. He fooled me for a little while, but the fresh paint job is starting to wear, and the bondo is starting to show.

One more thing…..get those damn cameras out of the room and let the players be themselves without prying eyes. It’s fun for the fans, for sure, but I can’t see how a player could be pleased in any way with the constant scrutiny of the TV show cameras.

28. Maritime Ronn says:

Some bizarre happenings last night.

From here, the feeling has always been that you don’t embarrass you BEST player – your best player by far, in public and on the ice.

If things need to be cleared up, it’s better done in the supposed more calm atmosphere of a coach’s office when things have calmed down.

It’s 2014, and nothing is gained by doing that with the young generation superstars.

Here is bizarre:
    PK receives a minor at the end of the 2nd period.
    Once done, he receives a 10 minute ‘Misconduct’ from his coach.
    Once that misconduct is over, PK plays 5:26 of the last 8:32 of the game…that equates to a pace of playing a 37 minute game.

Is PK the best player on the Habs?

– He leads the Habs in scoring.
    – He has taken part in 30% of all Habs goals scored.
    – He has taken part in 48% of all Habs Power Play goals.

– In 5X5 play, the Habs are Minus -6, having scored 67 goals and having given up 73.
    – PK easily leads the team in Plus/Minus at Plus + 13.
    That is accomplished playing the # 1 almost 20 minutes/game of Even Strength time usually against the other team’s best.

Yes Michel, the team comes 1st, yet there are better methods…

• habsfan55 says:

If DD screws up he gets a pat on the back but if PK or Danny Boy does they get stuck to the bench. I thought that the goal of the hockey team is to win well I guess someone forgot to tell that to MT. He’s the one that should get benched when he screws up with is all the time.

habs fan but will cheer for any team that beats the leafs

29. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. Like most of you I was amazed at the latest chapter of “‘Therrien Meldowns”. Amazed but not surprised. This guys career has been nothing but infamous meltdowns. Somehow he convinced GM “I wear nice suits” Bergevin that he had changed.

He convinced “GM Nice Suits’ even as he was working television for RDS and was nightly slamming the teams most talented player. This really leads to one of two things. Either GM Nice Suits used poor judgement in hiring this guy or he concurred with Therrien’s opinion about PK. You pick.

Coach Arrogant has obviously no clue what to do with his teams lackluster effort night after night. Baseball on ice didn’t work. Healthy scratches for the biggest floaters didn’t work.

So because of his frustration, he takes his teams best player and sits him for what I would consider a rather minor bonehead play. By the way, has PK taken a lot of these bonehead penalties in his career? Nope.

What is even more disturbing if you own this team, manage this team, play for this team, or are a fan of this team is not pulling the goalie at the end of the game.

In this chapter of Therrien’s hissy fits he decides if his team quit why don’t I. This coach quit on his team last night, plain and simple. This should not be tolerated by the ownership/management of this team.

I’m pretty sure it will be though and that says an awful lot about GM ‘Nice Suits”, doesn’t it?

Remind me not to wear a “nice suit” at Chrisadiens wedding, I fear what you will think of me. ;-)

• Hey Jim and G, you’re preaching to the choir.

Frustrating.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Habfan17 says:

The problem is he has not made enough healthy scratches to the players who consistently take whole periods off.

Habfan17

Missed most of 2nd and all of 3rd period, while I would love to blame my own jinx on the loss (in recent weeks games I miss part or all of game and we lose) this team is in a funk. And I think the funk relates to a lack of depth.

Our defense despite having 7 players last night, simply lacks the depth in skill to competently control the puck and the play in their own end. It appears the coaching staff tried to spread the wealth in splitting up Markov/PK but it is starting to look like now we just have 3 and a 1/2 pairings that are weaker for it.

Our forwards just don’t provide the kind of forecheck required in the NHL to create much needed turnovers, nor can they sustain much offensive zone presence which results in excellent scoring chances.

This team when the season started I expected to challenge for a playoff spot. They excelled at getting points/wins when even they didn’t appear dominant. Has this been the result of some timely goal scoring, great goaltending and a team focused on defense in their own zone?

I am frustrated by MT (but don’t think team has done bad enough to cause him to be fired yet), I am frustrated by MB not making more moves yet, but also understand you can’t trade Chicken Salad and get Porterhouse steaks in return.

I still think we are going to have to be patient, I and others have said many times how bare our cupboard of prospects was after the previous regimes. Many years of trading key draft picks (and key prospects, no need to mention his name) left our team with a complete lack of depth coming up from the farm. We are close to our next wave of prospects being ready (some may be ready, hard to say) but most are defencemen. Unfortunately there isn’t a great deal of depth close to being ready to help us at the forward position for another 1-2 years.

I think our high finish in the lock out shortened season was an overachievement and may not have been expected.

I continue to give MB the benefit of the doubt, based on the fact I think he planned on being patient getting through last season and this season and then with prospects coming up, expiring contracts leaving and some trades, our roster would be revamped.

I guess time will tell, but I can certainly appreciate and understand peoples frustration with both MT and MB.

I just don’t want to see another complete regime change, I can live with and might even encourage a coaching change, but I don’t want to see a GM/Coaching change, starting over is not the answer. We have tried that too many times in recent decades.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly. Last nights antics were fireable by anyone’s standards. A coach quit on a game. Plain and simple.

• HardHabits says:

The Habs have developed on 1st line forward and he is injured at the moment. How did they acquire him?

I hear rumbling in the background.

LOL, yup I can hear it in the background, I am sensing an avatar change for you in the not too distant future HH.

• You’re not wrong, and Carey Price has kept Bergevin from building through the draft, but if there is one draft where you can trade picks and make your team better, it’s the 2014 draft. If that player that comes in doesn’t work than 2015 is the year you want have nice top 5 pick.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• JF says:

I’m with you on this. A rebuild takes time. No GM can change the makeup of the team or the depth of the prospect pool simply by waving a magic wand. It is only two years ago that we finished at the bottom of the Conference.

It is far too soon to judge Bergevin’s work. He has overseen two drafts and made some minor moves. Both up front and on defence, the team is still a work in progress with bits of patchwork covering holes. The only big move Bergevin has made so far is the hiring of Stephane Waite, and that has brought our goaltending to elite level. No team is gong anywhere without solid goaltending. We now have it. That’s step one. The other steps need more patience because they depend on our prospects’ maturing or on Bergevin’s being able to make the right trades and/or free agent signings at the right time. We have to wait.

Like you, I do not want to see a complete regime change. We already had that. We have to give the new management team time to do their jobs. Another complete change now would simply cause chaos and delay the rebuild further. The organization needs stability.

As for Therrien, he’s doing well enough that he will not be fired unless he clearly loses the room. We’ll see what effect this benching has on Subban and on the team; I tend to think there’s a bit of over-reaction going on.

• TMan1969 says:

Great Points,

I think this team is a tale of two breaks – when they first started their winning role…they attacked, attacked, attacked and cycled hard. Now it seems they dump and chase and looked tired and frustrated. The team, I agree is built on speed and fast transition, plus the size differential limits an effective dump and chase.

You could almost hear MT say look how we beat Fla using the system it works – see. Except by the 3rd they were tired and chasing Fla…they need to rewind the video replays and start strategizing using their speed.

During one of the games this week one of the telecasters said, “the team can’t seem to break the zone on the PP…they need PK to break it…”

The next shift he skated past the blue line and around the net, passing the puck to DD…perhaps the better candidate for benching would’ve been Eller for the slew foot on a nothing play in the O zone..But last nights team looked dejected for 60min…the coach is wearing thin.

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

31. Plekasuares says:

MB “subban made the team because of Our staff”

Therrien isn’t going anywhere with this incompetent gm

Writhe Together.

I read the first three paragraphs and then stopped. I might read the rest later but I am going to assume that it is tripe as well.

Writhe. Together.

33. CJ says:

I’m not a fan of Aaron Ward, but he did make a great point during the second intermission last might. These really are the dog days of a long season. As someone who has invested in season tickets it pains me to say this, but there is not going to be a consistent effort every night. Even great teams like Chicago lay an egg. Sure, we have played our share of stinkers, but in an 82 game season it just happens. As previously noted, I have no issue if the management team decides to can Therrien, but even Detroit, under Babcock (who I consider the best coach in the league) take nights off.

Food for thought.

34. Puckdoc says:

The penalty coming at intermission was a perfect time for a closed door message no need for the public pissing contest

35. RC-51 says:

I don’t agree with benching Subban. I don’t agree with DD, Brier being a healthy scratch yet Bourque gets a regular EVERY game! You lose one of your better forwards to injury and yet you decide to dress an extra D-man? When other teams go on a PP they send out they’re 5 best players. They don’t keep rolling their lines! What’s really concerning is that some games that they lose lately they show absolutely NO effort! All in all MT part deux I think has run it’s course and it’s time to get a new coach!

36. piper says:

Regarding the PK treatment. Remember Patrick Roy?

37. Puckdoc says:

L’antichambre attitude, Wall Street hair and dangerous security clearance access. That’s Michel Therrien. His predictable self-destruct mode has begun, he has a penchant for calling out his players a few too many times and his seat in the RDS studio is currently being dusted off. I place the countdown at T-Subban contract negotiations where his agent behind close doors will ask for 9 Million and a new coach.

38. CJ says:

For those wondering why Bergevin is happy with results so far, look at the record. The team has been poor of late, but finished December 8-5-1. Thus far, during the month of January we are 2-1-1. The next nine games will be telling. Looking ahead there are some tough tests. If we get through January with a winning record it would be amazing.

What did fans expect? I’m a huge fan, the same as each of you, and see the cup as half full, but even I didn’t think we would be in fourth place in the conference after 45 games. I think the results last year during the regular season and this year through 45 games have worked to elevate expectations. We are going to continue to be up and down all year. I read last night someone suggest they would trade this team for any of the other 29 teams in the league. Let me reminder you Toronto has two regulation wins in their last 23 games. Get a grip.

Would I love to have a different coach, absolutely. That said, I don’t know who might fit that bill. I’m willing to defer to Bergevin, Dudley and company who I trust have a better handle on this situation then I do.

• Habfan17 says:

I have no concerns with what Bergevin says. If he is looking to make moves, it would be counter productive to express his concerns in public or menion players he thinks are underachieving. Other GM’s
      already have their scouting reports so why would Beregvin risk devaluing his players even more or put himself in a position of weakness by stating he is unhappy and changes are needed.

What I am concerned with is Therrien. I saw many players on the Habs make bonehead plays against the flyers and in other games.
      If Subban made a play out of selfishness, take him aside and let him know. I don’t see that in this situation, he let his passion get the better of him and took an ill advised penalty.

Last game I watched DD take a nonchalant swipe at a Florida player who was coming up the boards, of course he missed and the player blew by him. All he had to do was guide him into the boards. That was selfish and could have cost a scoring opportunity if not a goal.
      Pleks made a similarly stupid play when he passed the puck right to the Florida defenceman when he was under no pressure and the Habs had a 3 on 1! Why wasn’t he benched a shift?

Therrien hurt the team more by benching his best player than by Subban having a brain cramp and taking the penalty. If Therrien wants to be taken seriously by his players, he needs to call out ALL the players that take shifts or whole periods off, hello Patches, isn’t that more selfish?

Habfan17

39. RC-51 says:

I don’t agree with benching Subban. I don’t agree with DD, Brier being a healthy scratch yet Bourque gets a regular EVERY game! You lose one of your better forwards to injury and yet you decide to dress an extra D-man? When other teams go on a PP they send out they’re 5 best players. They don’t keep rolling their lines! What’s really concerning is that when we lose

40. TheSleeveen says:

It’s time for MT to go. The only reason the Habs are were they are is because of Carey Price and the other young talent this team has. Unfortunately, MT has been unable to consistently harness that talent. If we had a decent coach, who could deal with young players properly, we would be a much stronger team. Don’t let the fact we are 7 points ahead of the pack give you illusions of grandeur. An injury to Carey Price and we are out of the playoffs.

MT needs to go. As soon as a suitable replacement is available, he should be let go. He criticizes his best players yet no one takes him to task ( within the organization) for the boneheaded decisions he has made behind the bench. How long can MB keep defending him. Benching Subban for a questionable call?? It cost him any chance of winning, What did that teach Subban? It taught him MT is a terrible coach who does not have the best for his team in mind. Instead of benching him, he should have said, “get out there and show them what you are made of, make up for that penalty!!!” But no, he benches our top point getter!! and Norris Trophy Winner,

41. DipsyDoodler says:

The Filthy 4th liner started it when he face washed PK. Should’ve been offsetting minors. So no to benching PK in that situation.

But more problematic is that the team was already defeated when they stepped onto the ice.

• CJ says:

I don’t have an issue with the penalty. No denying that PK threw a punch. Further, I also don’t have an issue with the benching. That said, I would like to see MT get a like more aggressive with some of the floaters. Nobody can accuse PK of not caring which is a far cry more then we can say about some others.

That is the biggest issue I have with the coaching. My two cents….

• twilighthours says:

It’s people-management 101, CJ. Therrien is mishandling P.K.

• CJ says:

I don’t entirely disagree with you. However, I can’t see what’s going on in the privacy of the dressing room and behind the scenes. I am just hesitant to make a determination without all the facts. Again, I’m not an MT guy.

Hey, if I had access and what the masses here are suggesting could be confirmed, I’d buy the bus ticket to ship him out.

• twilighthours says:

I think it’s to the point where we don’t need access to the room. MT’s – and to a lesser extent MB’s – public comments and actions toward P.K. stink to the high heavens.

Look, I don’t know hockey (or maybe I do – everyone on the internet is an expert, after all), but I do know people management. P.K. is tough in every way. There comes a point where you can push even a tough dude too far. I don’t know if we’re there yet, but we’re definitely down the garden path.

• CJ says:

We will agree to disagree. Nothing personal. I didn’t see the big deal with Bergevin’s comments yesterday. I respect that others feel differently.

42. petefleet says:

For all of you ready to hang MT, this is the same coach who earlier in the season had this team playing better hockey than we’ve seen out of them since the Kovalev / Koivu days. Yes they are struggling lately. This is the same GM who brought in a coach who has brought Carey Price back out of the hole he was in last year. Without that single change the Habs would be in a class with Toronto not Boston. Hey maybe by April they will be right beside Toronto but right now they aren’t.
    I don’t like it when our best player gets benched but I don’t like it when our best player spends time in the box when he should be trying to help win the game. But it wasn’t the only gaff on the night by PK. He made so many ill fated rushed last night that I stopped counting. He and the team was a mess last night. The bigger issues are wrapped up in the inadequacy of a few of the players on this team. They are: Briere, Bourque, Murray and Gionta. You could add Prust to that list for the last 10 games. Get rid of these 4 players and the whole team will have a better look and feel.
    I believe MT was sending a message to rest of the team more than just to PK. “Look guys, I just sat the Norris trophy winner, an Olympian. If I can sit him, the rest of you are toast. You all need to play better. You all need to give 100%. If you don’t, you’ll sit. There’s lots of guys in the AHL looking for work.” Is it the right message? I don’t know but I don’t believe that MT has it in for PK. I believe he’s smarter than that. Maybe not.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Bob_Sacamano says:

So Gionta is inadequate but Therrien isn´t a bad coach? Wow. Therrien would have been fired weeks ago if it wasn´t for Subban, Price, Pacioretty and a ridiculously weak Eastern Conference.

• TheSleeveen says:

So you sit the only one that can set an example of hard work???? and give more time to floaters??? Reverse psychology died in the 80′s !!!Most teams give their best players more time, For MT, he gives it to his worse.

MT is MT of hockey coaching skills, time to get rid of him!!

43. twilighthours says:

I turned it off at 3-0, and resigned myself to a boring and sad loss. I’m glad I did, otherwise I would have had to endure the infuriating machinations of Michel Therrien.

I refuse to believe that Bergevin actually used the words “happy” or “pleased” when describing his team’s first half performance.

My only real hope is that we can save those worthy of saving – Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Subban, Price, Patcioretty – before it is too late.

Someone else wrote my feelings better, and with brevity: Therrien is a buffoon.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m gonna try some Devil’s advocacy here

…first i must point-out, if Y’all remember, I thought Molson and Bergevin were asinine in considering Therrien for Our Coach at the time …when, if the politics demanded a Francophone coach, Patrick Roy was available

…I believed Roy was ideal to mould a young team, which We knew was destined since Bergevin’s arrival

…Roy had the Royal Jelly to be much easier respected by his Players than Therrien ever would be

…Roy spent years, owning, managing and coaching a very successful junior franchise …which included winning a Memorial Cup

…Roy had his foibles, but beneath You KNEW his passion to excel …and his flamboyant character would ultimately be reflected in his team

…as a 60 year Fan of the Montreal Canadiens THAT sizzle is what I have been dying inside awaiting to return once again to My boyhood Team

…I died some more when Molson and Bergevin hired the mediocre Therrien

…all that being said, I’m going to bat for Therrien on this one, of the game as a whole, and re Pernel Karl in particular

…I don’t know where this Team is heading overall …none of Us will for another couple months …but one thing We do know is We are one of the top 5 teams in the Eastern Conference according to the standings

…that may change, but bottom line very few of Us realistically expected Us to be in this position this past October if One understood this Team is a Team in transition

…indeed, under Therrien, this Team has over-achieved considering its size, most of all, if not its overall talent base

…will Therrien lose this Team in the room ? …well, from the beginning, I felt that would be inevitable

…re Pernel Karl … some are asking why ??? not bench Patches, Bourque and any number of others, in addition to P.K. ?

…what, at this time, is P.K.’s biggest hole in His game ? …it’s the too frequent brain-dead, impulsive penalties at end of periods and end of games in critical situations

…is it possible Therrien sees P.K. as the One Player on this Team with the genius to be a true superstar, and is frustrated P.K. needs to solve this once and for all ?

…I think We, too many, Fans get carried away, perpetuate and unnecessarily fan the flames of ‘race’

…on one hand I understand Therrien’s frustration with P.K. and the Team, and the other hand is slapping My forehead trying to comprehend the short-sighted management decision to hire Therrien in the first-place, and not Roy

…but Roy, as We should know, is now another team’s coach

45. HabsFansince49 says:

Note to Geoff Molson: action speaks louder than words so we have forgotten or don’t care about your words when you hired Bergevin. You have not changed the culture at all. Montreal is a conservative monolith stuck in the dark ages. Your (through Bergevin and Therrien) treatment of Subban is intolerable and if the player has any sense he will leave town.

Note to Bergevin: your recent press conference is a vivid depiction of a manager trying desperately to cover over the mess he has helped to create especially your hiring of Therrien. No need to mention the DD and Briere contracts.

Note to Therrien: go away.

46. nbsjfan says:

So why not bench DD for his brain dead play on the first goal? I suppose that’s ok because he’s a team player. Sheesh. I was in the boat that thought Therrien was a good hire. No more. Anything PK has accomplished has been in spite of Therrien not because of him.

47. DipsyDoodler says:

Therrien is a fool.

Problem is it’s going to have to get a lot worse, I mean a LOT worse, before Bergevin ditches him.

Remember how bad that Pens team played and for how long to get Therrien fired?

• LTHF says:

MT has to go otherwise all the young talent coming to the team next 2-3 years will be screwed up big time, this team last night looked like boys playing men, and Philly wasnt that great yet the habs looked very very disinterested in playing. Why would anyone think MT was the answer for Habs when he was a failure the first time around and also in Pits.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…an overwhelming stench of sulphur in the HIO air tonight

49. Buzz Lightbeer says:

To be fair and a little realistic,Subban could have played the entire 3rd period and Mason could have been stricken with some sort of nasty bacterial bowel infection and this team would not have scored 2 goals to tie it up. We had no legs,poor passing blah blah, and when we did have the puck two flyers were on us instantly.
    I suspect a big team,celebrate the olympics party hangover because there is no way we could be this bad…or are we?

50. Gerry Pigeon says:

I think Therrien did the right thing. While I agree that there were lots of other passengers to make an example of, that does not make benching Subban for his selfish penalty a bad decision. Look at Ovechkin and his selfish ‘leadership’, and that is exactly where the Habs are headed if Subban doesn’t learn to mature and lead by example. Yes he is our most talented player, but unless he learns to play unselfishly like Yzerman learned under Bowman, Habs fans can keep deluding themselves that this team can reach the Cup. I would rather see Subban traded if we can’t sign him for reasonable money (max $7.5 M per) or if Bergevin and Savard don’t have faith he is ready to put the team first. Lidstrom, Sakic, Yzerman set the bar as the best players on their team that lead by example. Take note PK. You have ridiculous, God given, game breaking talent and an exuberance and infectious enthusiasm for the game that is the most exciting thing in a Habs uniform since Lafleur. DON’T make me glad the Habs braintrust traded you. PLEASE make them sign you by proving you will make better decisions every game going forward. That is the only thing that seperates you from following Toews’ path vs. Ovechkin’s.

Preparation + Opportunity = Good Luck

• Da Hema says:

Perhaps it is good for us to see a contrary perspective, at least based on most posts below about Therrien — including my own. However, some of your claims and presumptions behind them are frankly preposterous.

First, comparing Subban’s character to Ovechkin’s is utterly misguided. Subban clearly loves and respects hockey fans, whereas Ovechkin tries to assault them in airports. Subban is a leader on the Montreal Canadiens. He may make bad plays, and he certainly can let his passions get the best of him, but at least he tries. Can Pacioretty, for example, honestly say that he tries his best?

Second, you note that Yzerman learned how to be a leader under Bowman — the presumption being that players should listen to their coaches. As a general rule, that is true. The problem here is that Scott Bowman’s toenail knows more about hockey than Therrien will in a lifetime. Bowman was a genius strategist and motivator. What the hell has Michel Therrien ever accomplished in his life? I honestly don’t understand how he ever managed to become an NHL head coach. If Therrien weren’t hired as an affirmative action head coach in Montreal back in 2000, he never would have even made it to the NHL in the first place. If there is a lack of leadership on the Montreal Canadiens — and I am willing to concede there is — it starts with its head coach.

Finally, why are you claiming Subban is “selfish” when there are so many other players on this current team who clearly are collecting hefty paycheques while they play their (selfish) perimeter game, avoiding dishing out and taking hits. Is that not the kind of “selfishness” that truly should be condemned rather than isolating Subban?

I apologize if my comments are rough on the edges, but I can assure you, to use Therrien’s words, that the Montreal Canadiens will “never, never, never” win a Stanley Cup with him as its head coach.

51. HabmanSanDiego says:

One comment to add to the many on MT benching of PK. Recall many years ago a star goalie who was made an example of during a game by the coach ?; Roy played his last game for Montreal that night because Tremblay had to show his power. I sense a similar scenario starting to play out here. Sad ..

52. habcertain says:

Need to get big guys first, it’s an egg chicken thing

53. DickandDanny says:

Can we not find a power play that resembles a real NHL power play. You know the one with one or two big guys parked in front of the net battling for position with the D meanwhile screening the goalie. Waiting for rebounds, tip ins, and deflections. That’s what Philly does, even 5 on 5 and it works. Same with Boston, LA, St. Louis, Anaheim and SJ. Get with the program MT and staff, and quit this pathetic perimeter passing. All it does is waste PP time and no one is falling for it.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Habfan17 says:

I have watched other games not involving the habs and the biggest difference is that other teams allow creativity, they trust their players and don’t force them to do the same thing on every power play like Therrien does. They use the same patterns and keep the puck on the boards with reverse passes, they rarely move the puck more than 10 feet from the boards. Not hard to defend that.

Systems are good to teach positioning, especially when you don’t have the puck. Creativity and skill create scoring opportunities. Heaven forbid a player on the Habs used their hockey sense and skill rather than dump the puck in and then fight along the boards to get it back.

I wonder what Therrien would have done to Subban if he did what Giroux did on the delayed penalty call? Would he have benched him for the next 5 games? That was great! Giroux knew they weren’t set up right, so he left the offensive zone, kept possession of the puck and set them up for another attack. That was smart and fun to watch.

Habfan17

54. habcertain says:

If PJ is calling him out maybe the AC gang are boarding the bus.

55. CH Marshall says:

Luke
    January 9, 2014 at 2:05 am

Keep calm and Therri-on.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. DickandDanny says:

I tuned in just after the puck drop so am wondering where was Price tonight? Nothing against Budaj, but we are playing a team we hate to lose to, and who is also gaining fast on us in the standings and so we play our backup goalie? Why? what was the reason? And, he looked weak on all 3 goals.

But my main rant will again be focused on one Mr Pacioretty. Max, when you decide you don’t want to play, and you could care less if you were out there, then why don’t you just dial it in to the coach and say your sick, or dying, or something to that effect. Anything other than to show up and then play as disgustingly bad as you did, as bad as anyone I have ever witnessed play a poor NHL game. You disgust me. You float, you pout when things don’t go your way, you don’t like getting checked and won’t check anyone else. You are the most one dimensional player I have ever seen. Tonight, you could care less about the team, your line mates, and the fans. Just a terrible, horrible, effortless performance. You should be ashamed of yourself.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

57. Prairienewf says:

“Remember Lot’s Wife”…. Mr. Therrien, Remember Pittsburgh?

Don’t just remember your shortcomings there but also what Bylsma did to get them to the next level. Don’t be angry here. I’m not trying to antagonize or spite you. I’m just saying, learn and help your elite players to the next level.
    MT, with all due respect, this goes for you too. I’m happy the Habs are doing well overall, but this is your ship. Is this really the way you want your ship run? Too many passengers on this ship. I actually get the PK benching thing but why only him tonight? That penalty?! Really?! That’s it?! Your top point getter, who’s also happens to be a defenseman?! He’s your problem?! …Oh!!
    Right now I’ve that image of Robert Deniro in Awakenings, when his old problem, his Parkinson’s, came back, “Learn!” He said, “Learn!”
    We all know PK was going all out and a little all over the place the last few games due to his desire then jubilance at being selected to team Canada, but at least he was striving for something. Most nights this season most on this team didn’t appear to have their sights set on anything.
    I don’t have the answers, but I know this, what I witnessed tonight isn’t it. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

58. habcertain says:

Hey D Mex, nice to see you resurfaced, still believe in your fantasy world, good to see you have moved on to the next coach… Baaaaa

59. Da Hema says:

Therrien simply is a buffoon. I will pass on watching this team until Bergevin comes to his senses, concedes the decision to hire this dense nightclub bouncer to coach the Montreal Canadiens was a mistake, and hires a competent NHL head coach.

• VancouverHab says:

Oh God, you are so right. Unless–our darkest fear–Bergevin thinks that his buffoon coach is exactly right.

I saw again what I said day one of this regime: this will end badly.

But now, it seems, very badly.

60. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again: there’s no way management will lose Subban. If they have to fire Therrien to keep him, they certainly will. There is a fraternal core on this team that starts with Subban and Price. That’s where you build from. And they will.

I thought Therrien might last 3 seasons. Now I believe it’ll be just two.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

You know what’s the worst part of this all… is that even after Habs lose Subban because of the two idiots running this team, the sad saps shelling their hard earned after tax dollar will still fill up the Bell Center every single time. And buy their kids Habs merchandise with some name d’chez nous on the back. So, what possible motivation does Habs ownership have in putting a winning team in place?

• Dust says:

If all they care about is money than they want a winning team to go deep in the playoffs. The further you go in the playoffs, the more money you make. You sound like a leaf fan i hear on the radio everyday right now. Management wants a winning team because you don’t pay players come playoff time. You charge more for tickets come playoff time. You make more money come playoff time. From strictly a business standpoint That is their motivation. Winning team equals more money!

62. rljmartin says:

There is a lot of talent on this team. Gotta wonder why in so many games they stink the joint out. I firmly believe this entire lot has been mismanaged and the Subban benching only put an exclamation mark on what has been going on all year.
    My Colombian girlfriend who just started watching hockey this year and speaks limited English and no French (we watch the games French) said to me “Hay mala energia entre Subban y el coach.” Translation “Bad energy between Subban and the coach”.
    Is it that obvious? Wake up MB this team is on a skid…

• CH Marshall says:

I can’t remember if it was Clausewitz or Napoleon, but one of em described leadership as ‘man management’. And that’s what we’re needing right now.. especially if we’re in danger of losing PK down the road because of sh*t like this

• Timo says:

Maybe because there actually not that much talent.

But mostly because Therrien is a moron.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Ooo, Columbian girlfriend! Kudos to you, my good man. I tip my hat to you.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

63. CH Marshall says:

The team concept should be about winning the game. Not benching your leading scorer.

64. slyCH says:

Tried to be level headed about the MT hire since it’s happened. And yes, he has done some good things, but I realize now that he’s about as good a fit as Bill Virdon was for the Expos in the early 80′s. A has been far and above his head for the times. It was a worry for me back then that I am finally coming to realize, or accept, so to speak… MT should have remained a RDS commentator, something I felt he did less then adequately, this should have been my obvious reference to his ineptitude. Bring in Guy Boucher, that is all.

• CH Marshall says:

Agreed. It’s bout time to bring in a new coach. We may not be talent stacked, but we can play waaay better than what we’re seeing. Yuck. I don’t know what this is. JM hockey was bad enough, but this is like watching dirty pond water dry or something.

• Habilis says:

+24

I have this beer-fueled vision of Guy Boucher sitting on his couch, watching all of our games with a laptop nearby. He’s hard at work concocting a winning game-plan for this team while waiting for his phone to ring.

• CH Marshall says:

I sure hope he is. I hope he is in a dark cellar studying tape of all 29 other teams as well. I hope he’s studying games which he lost behind the bench in TB. I also hope he’s been practicing smiling a little.

• slyCH says:

Boucher did wonders at McGill, Hamilton, Tampa…then his lack of D and especially G in Tampa made him, strike that, forced him, to use the trap…then douchebag Y fired him.
        He would never use that system in MTL with the talent available to him. Especially after this off season when they rid of Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon and such…

• D Mex says:

Oddly enough, I have this very lucid image of Boucher blowing a gasket every time he opens his mouth to talk to on-ice officials, or draw up and explain a faceoff strategy during a game.

Boucher is the coach with the degree in psychology – or, is he the coach who is a certified head case – I’m really not sure which. You want to talk about losing the room and tuning people out – let’s talk about Boucher. Little wonder he has not re-surfaced somewhere else in the league …

Yzerman wasted little time diagnosing this guy and giving him a pink slip. Let him stay wherever the hell he is – there is no way I want that psycho losing it on the bench as a member of the Habs – none.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

I am glad Marc Bergevin is happy. He must be seeing something the rest of the Habs fans don’t. Will any of the reporters bother to ask him if he is still happy after tonight’s performance?

I won’t even start with Therrien and Bergevin-gate against PK Subban. These two clowns need to leave and soon. They suck. Plain and simple. They are hockey version of simpletons that will create another Roy fiasco. They are amateurs in the men’s league. Molson needs to wake the F up and get these two clowns back to where they belong – l’Antichambre.

66. Captain Pike says:

Maybe I’ve just had too much Romulan ale,
    but Boone’s Photoshop skills seem to be improving exponentially.
    Made me laugh man.

67. Habilis says:

I don’t even know what to root for anymore. I want the team to win, of course. But I want MT gone almost as bad, and only losses will help that happen.

I just don’t understand what MB sees in this man. He has no system to speak of (I don’t count dump and chase, pee-wee teams do that). His PP was figured out by other teams 2 months ago and yet he refuses to adjust. He plays the vets in front of the young guys regardless of performance. His in-game adjustments constitute mixing up his lines or D pairings and dumping the puck in. And then tonight he proves how outdated and stubborn he is by not only doing all of the above, but by benching our best skater for half of the third period while we’re down 3-1. Not to mention the fact that he just guaranteed that P.K. will spend the next 2 days having to dodge questions about his relationship with his coach. Smart.

The man is poison. The quicker he’s gone, the better off the entire organization will be. How can MB not see this?

• Timo says:

Didn’t you hear him today? He is happy. Habs being a mediocre team makes the GM happy. That’s comforting for the fans who have been waiting for the cup for 20 years and by the looks of things have at least just as long if not longer to wait. Some of us won’t make it.

68. frankcasting says:

PK’s getting his 8M per year in MTL or on an offer sheet in the expanded cap universe. Therrien, t’est rien, you can’t break him, your Junior A tactics are so 20th century. Time to move on; let’s see if MB has the ‘nads to make the change during the break, ’cause MT’s ship has sailed.

Loving the Habs since 1965

69. Rosieman says:

When’s Rene Bourque gonna be benched? It’s unbelievable. And MT gives him PP time and on occasion is out for the last minute!

Between Gio, Bourque, Moen, Murray, white, briere etc – it’s incredible the record we do have – PK and Carey

PK did a really stupid thing – he should have missed 2 or 3 shifts to get message thru

But just listening to MT – he’s not a Mensa member

70. big_green_puffin says:

Totally agree, the players have tuned out MT! Time for a change behind the bench. Remember who got fired because he couldn’t coach two of the greatest players in the game today…Crosby and Malkin! And Pittsburgh removed MT, and then they won the cup! Once you loose the players it’s time to move on!

71. slyCH says:

I made sure to have saturday night off to see the game live… doubts are filling my mind how sage this decision was. I might have to shop for a new computer when all is said and done.

• Luke says:

Chicago, right? It’ll be a good one. If, as they say… ‘Styles make fights’.
      Chicago is a machine. They’ll make STL and LAK look slow. (Hope I’m right about CHi).
      Anyways, I’m off… Enjoy the fury folks, and Trini, nothing personal bud, we just disagree. We good, man.

72. Adidess says:

Ah, thanks Boone for the quotes. I appreciate it.

• Captain Pike says:

A well deserved promotion to the rank of Captain Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Adidess says:

Ha, thanks Captain. Few people here seem to recognize the avatar.

• Luke says:

well, since you brought it up, i have a few questions about quantum strings and the concept of perceived realities…

• Adidess says:

You can be a bit frustrating as a debater, though it might be just a tactic. But looks like you know physics. Cool!

• Adidess says:

• Luke says:

Sometimes I play devils advocate.

Though I still hold folks responsible for their actions, and therefore the reactions to them. (I’m also pretty calm, so my personal reaction to a Pk punch wouldn’t be a benching, I just understand why MT would/could react that way) I’d call him out pretty publicly though, for it.

However, I’m very curious about physics, understand very little and baffled by string and multiple realities. Especially when u start breaking it down to dimensions, alt universes and the concept that nothing exists beyond what we perceive, and we all perceive something unique… Mind melting stuff…

• christophor says:

Only some of those topics are directly “physics”. The rest are more directly philosophy and philosophers have been debating about them for centuries more rigourously than contemporary pseudo-philosophical physicists who think they’re talking about something original.

The popular perception of the field of philosophy is comical (“they talk about meaning, life, zen, and stuff”). Lots of physicists are completely ignorant of (and yet condescendingly dismiss) longstanding and ongoing philosophical debates. And yet they partake in a pseudo-philosophical dialogue that wouldn’t receive a passing grade in a 2nd year undergraduate philosophy class.

Edit: sorry for the rant. Not sure where that came from. It’s cool to be curious, especially in physics. ;)

• slyCH says:

The next parralleled universe is a step ahead, in other words, you are a step smarter then in this world?

• Luke says:

I hope so Sly. It’s the only chance we’ve got.

• slyCH says:

My only hope. LOL

73. rogieshan says:

Next time Therrien pulls this stunt on Subban, the player will simply walk past him behind the bench and look up to where Geoff Molson is sitting and mouth these words, “I’ve just played my last game in this uniform.”

74. ClutchNGrab says:

I wonder how Saturday’s game will look like.

Also, is the “No Excuse” theme applies to the coach?