About last night …

BudajNJ

We would like to announce a newHockey Inside/Out contest.
Anyone who can offer documented proof – e.g. a dated Comment or tweet – in which he or she predicted in September the Montreal Canadiens would be playing for first place in the Atlantic Division in December will win a holiday gift basket personally delivered by HIO staff dressed as Santa and his elves …. plus Patrick V. Hickey as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Hockey Writer.
Pinch us, peeps.
We’re dreaming.

But there you have it.

The Boston Bruins – idle since Saturday – visit the Bell Centre Thursday night.

If your Montreal Canadiens, fresh off their wackiest win of the season, can beat Boston, they win will move them to the top of the division. The Bruins will have two games in hand; but again, anyone expecting the Canadiens to be at or near that lofty position in December wasn’t seeing the team I saw when the season began.

The Canadiens may yet revert to the rebuilding team many of us thought they would be when the season began. There is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Fortunately, however, only one of the Canadiens’ 53 remaining games will be against the New Jersey Devils: Jan. 14 at the Bell Centre. This gives us time to recover from two games in three nights against a highly disciplined, tightly structured and stultifyingly boring hockey team.

OK, the last four minutes of the third period were great.

• A goal by Lars Eller, his first in nine games, scored with Michaël Bournival taking Brandon Prust’s spot on the line with Eller and Alex Galchenyuk.

• Given the situation – a 2-2 tie with 66 seconds left, headed to OT  and at least one point the CH didn’t deserve– P.K. Subban’s worst turnover of the season, which Patrik Elias immediately converted for a 3-2 Devils lead.

• P.K. stays on the ice and gets away with a slew foot/trip of Elias along the boards in the NJ zone, setting up …

• David Desharnais tipping Brian Gionta’s shot past Corey Schneider with 37 seconds left.

That’s three goals for the Sports Centre highlight reel.

The previous 56 minutes?

Meh. Just another night in Newark, with fewer than 13,000 in the stands to watch the Devils run their Shootout record to 0-5.

After being outshot 13-9 over the first 20 minutes, the home team kept plugging, in their soporific fashion, and were full value for the third-period lead they lost, regained and lost again in the dying seconds.

The P.K. giveaway – one of three he had in the game – should have been a dagger to the hearts of the Canadiens. The team deserved a glum flight back to Montreal and lingering doubts hanging in the Bell Centre air as they skate out Thursday night to face the Bruins.

But Guy Carbonneau – the wisest man on L’Antichambre … which isn’t saying much when P.K. Stock is on the panel … put Subban’s brain fart in perspective:

“Hockey is a game of mistakes,” Carbo said. “The best players in the world make mistakes. Sidney Crosby makes mistakes.

“It’s how you respond to mistakes,” the former coach added. “The Canadiens responded as a team.”

Facing a tough November schedule that won’t get any easier this month, the Canadiens have taken 15 of 16 possible points. They are 8-1-1 in their last 10 and sit ninth in the NHL’s overall standings.

The canadiens have scaled these lofty and – let’s be honest – unexpected heights despite having two players among the league’s top 75 scorers: P.K. Subban, 31st, and Tomas Plekanec, 75th.

The Canadiens have done it with goaltending and defence. Their 2.03 GAA (boosted by giving up three in New Jersey) is second to Boston’s 1.96. Carey Price and Peter Budaj have been excellenbt. The defence corps is led by Subban and Andrei Markov, who was superb in New Jersey, and bolstered by the return of Alexei Emelin.

The team is healthy. Michel Therrien is able to roll four lines and keep his troops fresh.

Therrien has some interesting decisions to make on his lineup to face the Bruins.

You have to think Douglas Murray will draw back in after Francis Bouillon played against the Devils. But does Therrien dress George Parros? And who sits for the enforcer?

The L’Antichambre guys fear it will be Bournival.

So going against the best fourth line in the NHL – Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Shawn Thornton – the Canadiens will have Ryan White, Travis Moen and a guy who averages four minutes of ice time per game … vs. 8:24 for Thornton.

To our utter astonishment, Therrien has not consulted the HIO Player Personnel Department regarding his lineup choices during the Canadiens’ hot streak.

I’d like to see Bournival  playing with Eller and Galchenyuk. My fourth line against Boston would be Brandon Prust, Ryan White and Travis Moen.

One more sleep, and then the BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

And no more Devils till 2014.

1. jeffhabfan says:

Was not happy with the 3rd period Last night but it feels great to get another Win. I hope we can keep winning because we really only played the 3rd period Monday night and the 1st period last night and also I am glad we are not playing that awful to watch Devils team for awhile. Huge game tonight GO HABS GO.

• galchenyuk27 says:

I wasn’t happy about it either, but I was watching the game with some canucks fans who have all started to come to the dark side. Montreal plays exciting hockey unlike a lot of teams in the nhl.

2. sweetmad says:

Nice ALN last night Mr Boone,
    Not so full of doom and gloom,
    My team is always first,I don’t need a prize,
    I don’t even care about their size,
    Watching Gio,Gally and DD,battle it out,
    I’m 5 foot nothing,I know what that’s about.

Carey and Peter what a team,
    With Waite to help them,they are playing real mean,
    PK and Markov,they really know how to play,
    They are the best,don’t care what the pundits say,
    Emi and Josh,just know what to do,
    I love Diaz,wish all of you did too,
    About Murry,I wasn’t sure,
    I don’t feel like that any more.

Pleks is always number one for me,
    Trading him,I hope I never see,
    Patches is basically a gentle soul,
    I don’t care,as long as he’s shooting at goal,
    Briere,he isn’t really on any line,
    I’m still not sure after all this time.

Chucky and Larry need another young man,
    What about Bournavile,we know that he can,
    Shoot,score,buzz and hustle,
    We need Prust on the 4th line to tussle,
    Moen and White are doing alright,
    They are playing hockey,no need to fight.

Parros is a nice guy, but he has no pace,
    He will never win a hockey race,
    Bourque is out,I’m sorry he’s hurt,
    He can really skate and put on a spurt,
    Drewski I don’t expect ever to see,
    Would have liked to give him a chance,but thats just me.

With all the young un’s waiting in the wings,
    The future for me,really swings,
    MB is not doing anything rash,
    There is no reason about him, to bash,
    Was not happy about signing MT,
    But he’s doing alright with me.

That’s my team,and they are doing great,
    For tonights game I can’t wait,
    Of the Gooins,I’m not scared,
    I have enough optimism,it can be shared,
    As long as we come out and play OUR game,
    The result should be just the same.
    GO HABS GO

Couple new threads folks.

4. slyCH says:

Here’s a little tid bit. I played hockey against Cam Neely and Jozef Stumpel once. That’s right, THE Jozef Stumpel. It wasn’t on ice but in an outdoor roller rink, on foot. I worked at a station in Massachusetts for 5 years from 1990 to 95, WAAF, and the station had a promotion with the band Extreme and said Bruins players for a game. I showed up and played wearing a habs hat and had a talk with Neely before the game. He was cool. I played defense and Neely came up the boards at one point with the puck, on my side, so, I did what any good D would do and back-pedaled my way to him, a la PK, butt-first and stick rink side in case he decided to cut to the net or pass to Nuno Bettencourt coming up center ice. ( Nuno played with a stick, not a guitar.) As I’m doing this I can see a smerk on Neely’s face just before my 5’10 200 pound frame bounced off of him like a rag doll. Yeah, that was fun. Hope we take it to the bruins tonight.

5. Maritime Ronn says:

26 players have been invited to Team Sweden’s World Junior camp including Habs prospects Sebastian Collberg and Jacob de la Rose.
    Good luck young fellas.

6. petefleet says:

What I would like to see, even though I detest fighting, is Doug Murray get a hold of Lucic early in the game and pound him good. Then as the dust is settling, Parros grabs Chara for no particular reason and pounds him. Not likely to happen but if it did, the reat of the guys on the bench could just play hockey. I agree with a previous poster though, if they don’t dress Parros and Murray, the Broons will try to intimidate us all night. Speed and skill won’t always win.

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

“I’m sick of those Facking Bullspit comments!”
    Ram_Tough

***Go Habs Go***

Many more SUMMIT pictures are up on the Summit Facebbook site.

Once you are there, click onto the PHOTO button pic.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Ian Cobb says:

And by the way! Last nights game was never in doubt!

Now tonight’s game however!
      We will have to play at full speed for the full 60min.
      Bring on Paros, Murray, Emilin, Subban, Moen and Prust. We are going to need there clean hits tonight and stay out of the box, to be able to take the two points.

8. shiram says:

Was very glad to see the boys push and get the W for Budaj, who had been doing a bang up job of keeping the Habs in the game.

Brière made an awesome pass, and Gio was there to put it home, silencing yesterday’s detractor, but for how long?

DD in the shootout makes it seem like such an effortless thing, one has to wonder why he does not pull such moves once in a while at even strenght? I guess he does not get breakaways often enough.

I hope the rally from behind win they got last night keeps them energized and focused for tonight.

9. Maritime Ronn says:

Why PK needs to be a long term part of not only the Habs, but Montreal.

This is the first time Serena Williams will be playing in the Tennis Rogers Cup in Montreal since the year 2000.

Watch how PK ‘handles’ Serena, and she looks a little awe struck herself.

10. Walmyr says:

So…

Price vs Rask
    Gallagher vs Little Stinky Rat
    Max-Pac vs Lucic
    Plekanec vs Bergeron
    Big Viking vs Darth Chara Vader
    Briere vs Iginla

Great game tonight!!!
    CHeers!!!

11. YoNiko says:

I understand how some people feel like certain players are struggling etc. But really, its all relative to how we look at things.

For example, since being stripped of Gally11, Chucky and Larry have so called been ‘struggling’

Lets take things into perspective.

in the last 5 games,

Chucky has 3 points in 5 games ,2 goals(1 GWG) and 1 assts is a +1 and was benched an entire period in one of those games. he has also played a total of 1:47 of power play time in that span.

Larry has 4 points in 5 games, 1 goal and 3 assts, is a +2, two shootout goals in that span and has played a total of 1;59 of power play time.

Gally has 1 point in 5 games, 1 goal is a -2 and has played 4:22 of power play time.

so really, it all depends on how you look at things. Not to mention that Gally has played with the two hottest players on the team while Larry and Chucky have played with a hard working Brandon Prust.

Let’s not over analyze things either. Sure the kids could all play better. We really need to take things in stride though.

Oh.. and Murray > FrankieBoo

12. Luke says:

I’m expecting the Habs to come out flying tonight.

I’m not sure if the will win, but I think they’ll be in the game and compete hard.

I think that if they win, Saturday’s Sabres game will be a dud and a loss.
    If they lose to the Bruins, I expect a grinding dud like the Jersey games angainst the Sabres. And probably still a loss.

13. Forum Dog says:

Saw some elevator news this morning which suggested that Subban’s camp was looking for a deal in the $60-70M range. Pure speculation but, if even close to what is being negotiated, that is big money. Like Crosby, Malkin and Lundqvist big…..

Few NHLers are worth that type of cheddar, but I have little doubt that PK is. It will not surprise me if his contract ends up being a cap hit greater than $8.5M/per.

• Luke says:

I’m thinking he’ll end up somewhere around 12% of whatever the next cap number is.

• Forum Dog says:

That’s probably a good percentage. Assume a $75M cap and that would be $9M/per. I’m sure the Habs are hoping to negotiate down from there, but I think the number fits…..

While locking Subban up is a no-brainer, a cap hit like that (i.e. 12% of the total) means you have to be good at using the resources you have remaining. I’m not just talking about money, but also being willing to ride your horses and fill in the gaps with quality role players and youngsters on their first couple of contracts. You can’t have $4M & $5M guys playing in your bottom six….

Last nights faux pas should have saved MB about $1,300 per season from his last offer. ;-)

14. mdp2011 says:

Re: Poll question:

“Which one of these Boston Bruins players do you dislike the most?”

Why isn’t there an “All of the above” option?