About last night …

BudajNJ

We would like to announce a newHockey Inside/Out contest.
Anyone who can offer documented proof – e.g. a dated Comment or tweet – in which he or she predicted in September the Montreal Canadiens would be playing for first place in the Atlantic Division in December will win a holiday gift basket personally delivered by HIO staff dressed as Santa and his elves …. plus Patrick V. Hickey as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Hockey Writer.
Pinch us, peeps.
We’re dreaming.

But there you have it.

The Boston Bruins – idle since Saturday – visit the Bell Centre Thursday night.

If your Montreal Canadiens, fresh off their wackiest win of the season, can beat Boston, they win will move them to the top of the division. The Bruins will have two games in hand; but again, anyone expecting the Canadiens to be at or near that lofty position in December wasn’t seeing the team I saw when the season began.

The Canadiens may yet revert to the rebuilding team many of us thought they would be when the season began. There is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Fortunately, however, only one of the Canadiens’ 53 remaining games will be against the New Jersey Devils: Jan. 14 at the Bell Centre. This gives us time to recover from two games in three nights against a highly disciplined, tightly structured and stultifyingly boring hockey team.

OK, the last four minutes of the third period were great.

• A goal by Lars Eller, his first in nine games, scored with Michaël Bournival taking Brandon Prust’s spot on the line with Eller and Alex Galchenyuk.

• Given the situation – a 2-2 tie with 66 seconds left, headed to OT  and at least one point the CH didn’t deserve– P.K. Subban’s worst turnover of the season, which Patrik Elias immediately converted for a 3-2 Devils lead.

• P.K. stays on the ice and gets away with a slew foot/trip of Elias along the boards in the NJ zone, setting up …

• David Desharnais tipping Brian Gionta’s shot past Corey Schneider with 37 seconds left.

That’s three goals for the Sports Centre highlight reel.

The previous 56 minutes?

Meh. Just another night in Newark, with fewer than 13,000 in the stands to watch the Devils run their Shootout record to 0-5.

After being outshot 13-9 over the first 20 minutes, the home team kept plugging, in their soporific fashion, and were full value for the third-period lead they lost, regained and lost again in the dying seconds.

The P.K. giveaway – one of three he had in the game – should have been a dagger to the hearts of the Canadiens. The team deserved a glum flight back to Montreal and lingering doubts hanging in the Bell Centre air as they skate out Thursday night to face the Bruins.

But Guy Carbonneau – the wisest man on L’Antichambre … which isn’t saying much when P.K. Stock is on the panel … put Subban’s brain fart in perspective:

“Hockey is a game of mistakes,” Carbo said. “The best players in the world make mistakes. Sidney Crosby makes mistakes.

“It’s how you respond to mistakes,” the former coach added. “The Canadiens responded as a team.”

Facing a tough November schedule that won’t get any easier this month, the Canadiens have taken 15 of 16 possible points. They are 8-1-1 in their last 10 and sit ninth in the NHL’s overall standings.

The Canadiens have done it with goaltending and defence. Their 2.03 GAA (boosted by giving up three in New Jersey) is second to Boston’s 1.96. Carey Price and Peter Budaj have been excellenbt. The defence corps is led by Subban and Andrei Markov, who was superb in New Jersey, and bolstered by the return of Alexei Emelin.

The team is healthy. Michel Therrien is able to roll four lines and keep his troops fresh.

Therrien has some interesting decisions to make on his lineup to face the Bruins.

You have to think Douglas Murray will draw back in after Francis Bouillon played against the Devils. But does Therrien dress George Parros? And who sits for the enforcer?

The L’Antichambre guys fear it will be Bournival.

So going against the best fourth line in the NHL – Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Shawn Thornton – the Canadiens will have Ryan White, Travis Moen and a guy who averages four minutes of ice time per game … vs. 8:24 for Thornton.

To our utter astonishment, Therrien has not consulted the HIO Player Personnel Department regarding his lineup choices during the Canadiens’ hot streak.

I’d like to see Bournival  playing with Eller and Galchenyuk. My fourth line against Boston would be Brandon Prust, Ryan White and Travis Moen.

One more sleep, and then the BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

And no more Devils till 2014.

1. habsguru says:

think the bruin thugs are worrying if Bournival is in the line up tonight? Parros has to play, and may not even need to fight. we all have auto insurance with hopes to never use it no? his presence alone will stop the goons from eating DD’s limbs like he is a chicken wing on a 5 goal night!

2. knob says:

Does anyone know if Bourque is able to go tonight?

The Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust line has been terrible. They generate little offense and continually get trapped in the defensive zone. I think that Prust should move to the fourth line. I would like to see Bournival play with Galchenyuk and Eller.

I would also like to see Parros draw into the line-up but I don’t know who should sit. I guess a fourth line of Prust-White-Moen is solid enough.

3. John Q Public says:

Big Boys tonight.
    All in.
    Plus they are rested.

4. rhino514 says:

I am still not convinced that the team is better off with Parros versus Bournival or Bourque.
    I mean, what would they do if Bourque was also healthy? They would´ve benched both for Parros?
    You are taking out guys who can score twenty goals a season for a goon.
    And they are not small guys either.

• krob1000 says:

I think Bourque is out regardless with an injury. IF you can get Chara to lose it…and survive it you do (he is the key to the BRuins IMO). IF it were the playoffs I doubt Paros plays…but in the meantime we are battling for first place int he division with these guys…so you cannot have them taking runs or attacking key Montreal players…and they will if you dress a lineup that lets them. The physical guys can battle each other and the rest of the lineups can play hockey against each other.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

I agree 514. Parros brings nothing to this team! He is a average fighter. & all of his fights have been staged.

Guts-Glory-Ram

5. rhino514 says:

I love the Vking poster guy.
    Every single time he posts (even after a win) it is something about the team not being good enough, missing this, missing that.
    I have come to enjoy the certitude of these comments with my morning cup of coffee.

In light of the fact that MT has been picking the right lineups for awhile now, I am going to defer to him tonight as to whether or not Parros should play. (By the way I think MT should play Parros tonight, and MT will agree with me ;-) )

Also, to me MVP last night was Eller, Huge tying goal, and then the key was his penalty shot. Jersey was ecstatic, the whole bench including Deboer were all smiles after Reid Boucher potted a beauty in the shootout. Eller stepped up and put in a goalscorers goal top shelf. This was huge, I believe in momentum (I recognize some don’t) and all pressure shifted back to Jersey, who didn’t score on their next chance. Then our little buddy Gilligan (DD) stepped up and put one in for the Skipper (MT) and woohoo!

Tis a great time to be a Hab fan, tonight would be the absolute cherry on top to a great run of games.

• Habfan10912 says:

Eller is one of those players who adds value even when he’s not contributing on the score sheet. He’s become a solid two way player. Of course I like him even better when he scores. :)

• Phil C says:

I’m a big believer in momentum too. I have been on the winning and losing end of it in sports. I can’t explain it, but I know it’s real. Great game by Eller for sure.

• krob1000 says:

What was odd was the way Schnieder played both of those shots….both were lefties going back agaisnt their bodies…he way over committed to tehir forehands…think he was watching too many Galchenyuk shootout attempts.

• ooder says:

people don’t believe in momentum… what lol?

• RAM_TOUGH says:

The big diff is: the Bruin’s 4th line can score, the Hab’s 4th line can’t!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Ozmodiar says:

Definitely a good game by Eller last night.

Merely anecdotal, but if you want to know who’s having a good game, in the coach’s eyes, take note of who MT sends out after a goal against. (probably more reliable on the road)

• roblack says:

I want to see Boucher in a Habs uniform,kids got great hands and his name would look awesome on the jersey

HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

• Bripro says:

Good morning Gerry.
      Arriving late as usual.
      You might want to consult with the knob of this site who states (above) that the Eller line sucked last night.
      And this was endorsed by the Ram truck (IMO the most-overrated truck on the market).
      I agree in deferring to MT, the coach (eh Gad! Say it ain’t so!) who has so far achieved nothing in his second-time-around sophomore season except guide them to second spot in the division, with a chance at the pedestal tonight.
      I fail to understand why there should be any criticism whatsoever of this exciting team of ours, given their performance.
      Thank goodness MB chose to stick with hockey people when he hired MT as coach, and resisted consulting with the many GMs on this site. We’d be calling for the tanks by now.

7. Phil C says:

A positive change this year offensively is that we are seeing more goals with traffic to the net, more screens, tip ins, deflections and rebounds. That was something that was glaringly missing from the Ottawa playoff series. Without scoring goals in traffic, it is almost impossible to beat a hot goalie as they will stop everything they can see (as we saw with Anderson last year).

If you look at the last two games, Eller tied it on a rebound, DD tied it with a nifty deflection, Galchenyuk essentially redirected a shot into the net on his GWG. The addition of Briere gives them another player who has made a career around the net. Not to mention the honeybadger. I guess the coaching staff are finally getting through to them.

8. RAM_TOUGH says:

I don’t give a rat’s furry little arse what others think of me! I did not come to HIO to win a popularity contest. I just came to give my 2 cents. I am not a part of the HIO Clan whom of which think that only their comments are 100% correct & everyone else’s are not. Just because they were here since this site started their word is law. When I see a stupid comment I will tell them about it & if I write the same then the same goes for me. No one in here is GM material …

That being said, have a nice day!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• John Q Public says:

Here here.

• slyCH says:

Why get so touchy over Ryder, of all players.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Not because Ryder is a fellow Newfie but because the rap he gets is not just!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Cal says:

I saw Ryder float a lot last year, especially after his scoring streak ended. There’s not much of a compete level in him on the defensive side of the puck.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Well Cal, he is from a fishing town. He grew up on the water thus he would know how to float right! LOL

But he was loved when he scoreed 25, 30 & 30 goals!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Cal says:

This dodgy ad was brought to you by HIO. And furry rats’ little arses.

• Walmyr says:

Sorry RAM but…
      I am a great GM…at least in Eastside Hockey Manager 07′!…I believe I’m HoF already…

BTW, nice day to you too…

• D Man says:

RT, I don’t think anyone minds your 2 cents. Maybe the fact that you come on a little aggressively rubs people the wrong way. I know, I know, you don’t give a rat’s furry little arse what I think.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Luke says:

1) You should care what people think of you. It’s usually a reflection of the way you treat people.
      2) The concept of the HIO clan is largely a myth. Plenty of people disagree but still get along. (Ie: Front and I disgaree regarding fighting, Bill and I disagree regarding the Terrible Eric Clapton, but never do we devolve into petty antagonizing).
      3) I didn’t think you asinine comment was at all bad. A little gruff perhaps, but it certainly wasn’t an insult.
      4) I’ve noticed in the last few weeks you’ve definitely toned down the ‘fire’ of your initial postings. The points weren’t bad, the presentation was. Antagonizing would be the word for it, i think. Something I thought worth mentioning. (Flies/Honey/Vinegar etc).

9. JUST ME says:

Such a shame. I just wrote a long and inspirational message ,filled with pollitical correctness and it went in the twilight so i will not rewrite it and will be brief. Parros will play. We hired him for that purpose.
    Yesterday`s win was the key win for us. We wanted to send a message that we belong with the best in our conference. Now if the Bruins need another message handed to them tonight, let`s do it. Go Habs Go!

10. Cal says:

Parros must dress tonight. If the game gets out of hand you can be sure Jabba will be sending out his 4th line to do the usual after the whistle bs.
    The Habs have to be ready for a disciplined Gooins squad that is allowed, yes I said allowed, to use whatever dirty tactics they want against the Habs skilled players. My answer is for the Habs to return the favour. Every time Chara cracks one of the Habs in the head or gets away with his wrestling, Bergeron and Krejci should pay for it. Tit for tat.

• Phil C says:

You don’t think the Habs’ 4th line can handle their 4th line? Moen has handled Thornton in a fight before. Prust would not be afraid of him. McQuaid is not playing I think.

• montreal ace says:

Cal tit for tat says it all, I have no problem with that strategy.

• commandant says:

In recent years, when the Habs have played the “fight them” strategy with the Bruins we’ve gotten drubbings on the score board. (The BGL year, the blowout when we tried to get revenge for Max, etc…)

when we play our speed game we usually are the one winning the game.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Cal says:

Sometimes, making the other team pay for their transgressions is the way to go. The Gooins have been allowed to play dirty hockey, especially against the Habs. What good is 2 points when half the team gets clobbered and there is no price to pay for it?
          Habs have to turn that around or they will be bitch slapped yet again.

• commandant says:

And yet in the games I referenced, no one “paid for their transgressions”.

We all know that it is unlikely that Parros will end up fighting a chara or a Lucic…. no they will just do the same thing they did to Laraque, refuse to engage and then there will be a scrap with Thornton that really will have zero effect on how the other Bruins play the rest of the game.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Cal says:

@commandant- It’s hard to refuse to engage when fists are already flying. Where does is it say that Habs enforcers have to ask? Screw talking about. Just do it. That’s why they make the big bucks.

11. Maritime Ronn says:

Really looking forward to the battle in front of the net tonight between …Chara and Douglas Murray, if and when the Bruins have a Power Play.

Because of some great play by deemed Bruin smallish Dman rookie Torey Krug (7G/16 points), Chara has been moved to the forward position on the Bruins power play.

Nov.12th…” Chara has scored three goals this season (he now has 6), all on the power play, and all positioned in front of the net….Chara has shown a knack not just for screening the goaltender and winning physical battles, but for working with the puck behind the opposing goal after even doing some dangling around the slots and in the circles.”

Tale of The Tape:
    Chara..: 6′ 9″ – 255.
    Murray.: 6’3″ – 240.

Perhaps we’ll get a better picture of why GM Bergevin signed Murray, and how he makes out with that tough match-up in front of Carey…let alone all the other Bruin net crashers.
    And let’s remember, Murray cost the Habs nothing to acquire in terms of players or draft choices, and comes with a cheap 1 year deal of $1.5M.

12. krob1000 says:

I would not be surprised at all to see Parros go at both Lucic and Chara tonight. Those two guys have each had no issues taking on guys way below their weight class in Montreal and Montreal had no response. Last year late in the year Chara went after Emelin…a guy way smaller…that game is actually one of the games that I would bet cemented the need for a guy like Parros. Murray will dress as well and given the battles and the past history, the fact that everything happened so long ago ( so no media attention),etc I would be shocked to not see Montreal try to initiate something physically to let the Bruins know those days are gone. I bet Emelin goes out of his way to crush someone…and it will happen while Parros is on the ice likely.

Montreal still may not match up to the BRuins…noone does but it will send a message that they will not back down anymore and while I would still favour the Bruins physically….the HAbs are pretty close and enough of a risk that the Bruins will not run roughshot over Montreal like they normally do. The physical guys can battle each other and guys like Emelin, Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller,etc can do their thing.

13. habs001 says:

If the roster remains the same and if one of Markov,Pk or Emelin gets injured for the playoffs the Habs are in big trouble..While it was great that the Habs won the 2 games vs Jersey, to me it showed that if the Habs hope to have success in the playoffs vs large forwards that forecheck you need to upgrade at least one if not two of the d…

14. I’mwith Punkster and the few. We ned four high flying lines tonight.

You all know how rested teams play, they are going to be off, so we need to attack attack attack. Don’t sit back, they gotta lay some smack on those wackie wacks!

(yeah I’ve been up since 2:30, I’m tired and an just finished moving half ton of snow by hand. When is it alright to get a snowblower, I’m 42, is that still too young?)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

15. Guy Robinson says:

The best thing about the Hab’s performance lately besides the obvious effect on the standings is the fact that some old timer hasn’t been posting lately.

16. Scotty90 says:

Parros better be playing tonight!

“Je me Souviens”!

17. punkster says:

Before heading out to take my daughter to breakfast (I love this retirement thing) I’ll just toss in my 2 cents.

I agree with the few here who would prefer Parros sit tonight and Bournival plays.

I rather doubt Parros will score, set up a goal, create a take away, back check, block a shot, lay a body check or even get more than 5 minutes TOI and he certainly won’t get Chara or Lucic to fight him as some here believe he will.

That leaves Thornton, a guy who will not determine the tone of the game and if he tries to can be effectively handled by White, Moen or (heaven forbid because I hate to see him hurt again) Prust.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree. We can’t beat them with our physicality and having Parros in there won’t help us on the score board where it counts

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Strummer says:

You took the words right out of my mouth.
      Prust, Moen and Murray can handle anyone on the Bruins 4th line.

Lucic or Cara will never engage Parros..
      Remember Laraque chasing Lucic around the ice?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Kooch7800 says:

Laraque was an joke that night. He was put out there to take on Lucic willing or not and he stuck to his code and laughed all the way to the bank. Highest paid goon who couldn’t play hockey

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Punkster! Enjoy retirement and the time with your daughter amigo.

Note of clarification. Last night I mentioned that Paul Stastny had another year left on his contract. Chris pointed out that Stastny would be an UFA this summer. I was wrong, Stastny truly is an UFA this summer.

Knowing that now, it’s all the more reason not to trade for this guy. He’s more of a set-up man, not the sniper that many of us feel the team needs. The asking price would probably be one of Tinordi or Beaulieu. This guy is only 28 so I doubt it’s going to be your typical 2nd rounder type transaction for an over the hill veteran. For those who say we could always re-sign him, I have two questions. Will we have the cap space to give him 7M long term and who would the team move in order for him to be our #1 or #2 center?

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Cups

Another factor to consider is Cap Space

As of today the Habs have $3,271,959 and if nothing changes, will have $9,351,481 at trade deadline.

Statsny comes with a huge $6,600,000 Cap Hit proratted.

• Steeltown Hab says:

If there was any truth to this rumor it’d be because Statsny and Pacioretty had a lot of chemistry at the World championships but considering his bromance with Davey I don’t think Bergevin would do this to him.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Kooch7800 says:

I Agree. I also think Max’s relationship with DD had a lot to do with him being resigned

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

Not unlike Kessel/Bozak.

At least we aren’t at 8 mil for Max & 4.2 for DD!

• Kooch7800 says:

I was with a buddy of mine who is a Leaf fan and he was commenting on Bozak and the relationship with Kessel. The leafs really overpaid for Bozak and I agreed that if it were not for the relationship with Kessel he would have been let walk.

As you said, I am glad our cap hits are far lower!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Kooch7800 says:

He is a centre….we really don’t need a Centre. We need some wingers

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• krob1000 says:

He is alot like Pleks offesnively….is pretty good defesnively (not qutie as good as Pleks but few are) and early in his career played a checking role but O’Reilly now does that. He is 27 years old and if the cost is reasonable he is a very intelligent player and solid on his feet. He is however an ideal Montreal player with two way skills. I would also assume he is a Franco having grown up in Quebec? HE likely doesn’t cost much being a UFa…if they are treating him like a rental that is one thing but if they can manage to resign him….then it could open some serious door next offseason witht he logjam at center…..

19. John Q Public says:

All together now,
    ❤ ♥ ❤,
    GHG!!!

20. Luke says:

I’m of two minds on Parros playing tonight.

I like the guy. He seems pleasant, so I’d like him to get some more icetime. He was brought in to help stand up to the Goon Squads and Glove-droppers of the NHL. The problem is, and I know many who hang out here (during losing streaks) would argue this point, the Bruins aren’t a goon squad or bunch of glove droppers.

They have 2 of the toughest guys in the league. Chara and Lucic. They also happen to be upper echeleon NHLers. Their designated fighter, Thornton, is a very serviceable player and not a heavyweight. He’s about 6’2, 210lbs, can skate, plays 8 – 10 minutes a game and more resembles Prust than Parros.
    In fact, he’s so much like Prust, that’s he’d probably tangle with Parros, despite common sense saying he shouldn’t.

They really don’t have a goon. They have no comperable to McLaren or Orr. I’m worried that if Parros is in the lineup, his 4-5 minutes may be some very difficult minutes and I’m not sure he’s going to intimidate anyone on the Bruins.

Now if the Habs had injuries, or any of the smaller guys were playing poorly it’d be a pretty easy substitution. But the team is rolling.

21. habs-fan-84 says:

Toronto media is having a bit of field day with PKs gaffe last night. To be fair though, they were probably worse on Phaneuf after his bad pinch in the playoffs last year (so they do it to their own as well).

Let’s be honest though, PK had a terrible game last night. If anyone missed it, Chris summed it up in the liveblog thread pretty well last night.

The give away at the end of the game was an honest mistake that could happen to anybody (it was not a risky play, just a simple mis-handle of the puck). It was the other giveaways that concerned me more. Still, I was happy to see MT show confidence in him by leaving him on the ice – no doubt PK had to have been grateful for that.

• Kooch7800 says:

I watched the highlights after on Hockey Central on Sportsnet and they didn’t make too big of a deal of it. They were still pumping PK for the Olympics. he should be there and if he is not it will be Canada’s loss

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

22. Steeltown Hab says:

People always use results to justify actions. But realistically win or lose if MTL scratches Bournival that’s the wrong move.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

23. krob1000 says:

Re The Subban slew foot…..look back at the fumble by PK on the Jesey goal…he stumbles and then when he trieds to recover it is Elias who tangles Subbans feet up and trips him. In all likelihood the Canadiens complained or at least someone said something about it. Then less than a minute later the same two player Subban/Elias are in the other end and Subban returns the favour…it is let go despite it being an obvious slew foot. MY gues sis the referees let it go knowing they let the other one go…Subban’s was more obvious but quite honestly was nowhere near as dangerous of a situation…or so it appeared. The one at the other end led to a clean loiok from 15 ft….the Subban one led to a shot from 60 feet away…that would have been harmless if not for the deflection. My summation…both should have been called….it all worked out…and Elias did not portest it…he is a seasoned vet who knew he got away with one and had it evened up.

On another note…glad Prust was there on that line to stick up for Galchenyuk. Not sure the hit warranted it other than the fact Janssen made it painfully obvious he was trying to start something with him having to lunge in to make the hit.

On another note…anyone see Pleks play on teh GIonta goal? Not only did he go tot he net…he actually never tried for the puck…he knew Gionta was there so he tied up the defenders stick or that puck likely never gets to Gio.

More long shifts out of the AHbs last night leading to possibly bad scenarios….and they happend early which often leads to late game jittery legs. Gllagher and Patches both guilty a few times (although I noticed Glally make a muuch more determined effort to get off the ice in the OT)., Whote also had the incident but he may have been a little stunned…he seemed to act off after that hit against the boards…kind of just tstood there playing skaing his head/helmet….let the play go right by him…should have got off the ice or involved…makes me think he was a little rattled.

Most exciting HAbs Jersey game I can remember…even if only for 15 minutes..it was a 15 minutes that easily made up for the last fe w games…not sure it did enough for 10 years of boredom…but I was happy and I’ll take it.

• habsguru says:

agree on Subban gaff, he lost the puck rather than turned it over, and Elias took away any chance for him to recover, (hitting a player without puck) Hats off to MT (who said that) for putting PK back out to right his wrong

24. L Elle says:

That was the most entertaining came to come out of NJ in…well, ever.

Maybe my rose coloured glasses stops me from seeing our Habs as a bubble team, but, when you have players like Price, PK, Markov, Emelin, Patches, Gally, Chucky, Eller, and some I have forgotten to mention, impossible not to have great success.

Watching those games during the losing streak last month was excruciating. But, they had a lot of injuries. When they are in full health (knock on wood), there is no stopping them.

25. Maritime Ronn says:

Mr. Boone writes:
    ” The canadiens have scaled these lofty and – let’s be honest – unexpected heights despite having two players among the league’s top 75 scorers: P.K. Subban, 31st, and Tomas Plekanec, 75th.”
    ——–
    Here’s not saying the Habs will win the Cup – or even be in the final 8, yet a few teams that did recently, did not depend on having elite and top snipers in their line-up during the ‘regular season.’

LA Kings Cup 2012:
    They had only 2 top points men in the Top 75 during the season.
    Kopitar was 17th and Justin Williams was 62nd.

Bruins Cup in 2010:
    They had 2 players in the Top 59 scorers during the year.
    Lucic was 40th and Kredji was 47th.

While every team would love to have a Patrick Kane, sometimes team wins out over individual performance.

The year the Kings won the Cup, Stamkos had 60 goals and 97 points yet Tampa finished 21st and out of the playoffs.
    Last year, Marty St.Louis won the scoring title, yet Tampa finished 28th.

26. Steeltown Hab says:

Would you look at that, Galchenyuk and Eller get a winger who has some offensive instincts on there line for 15 seconds and score a huge goal.

Good on Eller and DD for getting on the board in the shootout, nifty move from Desharnais, Eller’s goal was just dominant.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• adadi says:

It will be fun to see how long it takes our IQ challenged coach to figure that Prust is not a skill guy and cannot play on a skill line. It does not work. Prust is all heart but he is still a fourth line guy. Lines tonight should be:

Pleks-Gio-Moen

Patches-DD-Galley

Eller-Chucky-Bournivale

Prust-White-Parros

Of course Murray replaces Frankie.

• JUST ME says:

Great comment adadi. Instead of acknowledging what steeltown was writing about the last second change for the tying goal and the fact that Therrien again trusted D.D. in the shootout, you would rather insult the coach that does the job and wins. Of course being negative is so much fun ! Would be so much fun to see YOU behind that bench !!!

• adadi says:

So I guess it is cool to be able to roll only two lines when you could really have three that are rolling. Sorry but MTs sitting on the lead game plan is pathetic and does not work with a team whose major strength is speed. I’m not asking for MT to be a genius, most coaches aren’t. What I want is for him to do the obvious stuff.

• Steeltown Hab says:

That win wasn’t pretty, coach get’s wayy too much credit when they win, and too much blame when they lose. Not having Bournival with the kids is a bonehead move however you look at it.

He’ll wait another month to make the change and be praised for it though.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• krob1000 says:

How can you seriosuly argue witht he apporach that has the team the hottest in the NHl since he moved Bournival? seriously ..how can you een debate it given the team is actually the 2nd hottest in the entire league since he made the 4 line approach the new gameplan? The strategy is simple…beat emas with depth, have an energ guy on each line (Gallagher, Prust, BOurnival, Pleks). He also has shown a willingness to adapt in swithcing Moen and Parros, and alternating the pp units depending on the game situations. I am actually VERY impressed witht he coaching approach this season. MY only gripe is still the PK/Markovb pairing but how can I argue with the success? Youa re too conerned about Bournival and not concerned enough about the team…that is what the coach cares about. Your same argument could be amde about Parros who sigened expecting to play, to Bourque who should notb e in ap ressobx, boullion, White or Murray could all be every day players on many other teams…such is life and everything is for the team….taht simple. MT and crew have done an amazing job….

• athanor says:

Well said!
          It’s amazing how often people who disagree with someone attribute moron status to that someone.

• krob1000 says:

Or you could look at it like when he needed a goal the coach made the right decision ….and when he needed Prust earlier when JAnssen came at Galchenyuk Prust was there. Hmmm upon further review well done MT.
        And for Stevereno out there somewhere….when the team was down a goal and they were not concerned about the shift after the PP as much as getting the goal…Pleks and Gio got pp time…and they were sent out with the extra attacker. Again..well done MT.

• Mike Boone says:

Classic HIO Comment: Canadiens are 8-1-1 and the coach is “IQ challenged”.
        (You forgot the hyphen.)
        Stay loopy, my friend.

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger

27. adamkennelly says:

can’t do that Boone – Parros has to play – just in case. You still have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid and Thornton to deal with….I hope there is no stupidity but leaving Prust as the only guy to deal with that crew is risky.

28. twilighthours says:

I figured it out: Ram Tough is a Newfoundlander or Labradorian.

29. Stevie.Ray says:

I predicted before the season that the Habs would start slow but by December would be one of the tops in the division.

Two weeks ago I was sticking to that prediction, but I said “By mid December the Habs will safely ahead of the Leafs in the standings.” I guess I was a little late.

I’m curious how tired the top lines after last nights game. Seems silly to dress Parros for 3 minutes forcing the other lines to play more when they are already tired.

30. 7677habs says:

in their last 78 games, almost a full season, going back to last year, Habs are 46-23-8 good for exactly 100 points! That’s a good measure of this team and what they could be capable of doing over the rest of this season. Go Habs! Playing as a team and supporting each other.

31. JohnBellyful says:

I see mention below of a Bob McKenzie tweet: “I can tell you there are some developments in the works that will ensure TSN’s hockey coverage remains first rate for a long, long time.”
    I’ve wondered all along — as maybe others have — if TSN could continue to provide live coverage of hockey by carrying games played in the States, as it does now to fill out its schedule. The change next season would be to add more of those contests and insert its own panel of ‘experts’ for the pre-game shows and intermissions. Does the Rogers deal with the NHL preclude TSN from going this route?

32. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Habs can play three games in four nights and have to face the Bruins on the final night, I can certainly hit the gym this morning!
    Have a great day everybody and enjoy the intense game tonight!

Crankshaft, Parros, Moen and Prust better be ready!

Go Habs go!

33. The Jackal says:

Good morning HIO,

Good stuff my the boys last night eh?
    Glad to see them come back so strong and win.
    Sure, perhaps we stole the game but how many times have we been dominant yet lost? It’s about time we won a game we maybe should have lost.

Love Boone’s ALN and blog, but many times there is an element of bipolarity, for lack of a better word, that characterizes the summary of play, much like in the comments section. Who expected us to be playing for first today? Meh, who knows! But does that mean we are not rebuilding anymore, or that our expectations should be higher? I think not. We’re playing very good hockey and that’s great, but the moment we hit a snag I wonder what the tone will be? Lottery pick time?

We’re a good young team that is getting better, and it’s important to keep that in perspective. We might finish first in the division or the conference, but that doesn’t mean that the team is going to be a serious contender… it’s may be a coming of age or over-achieving, but a few key changes still need to occur before we are a powerhouse.

Not to rain on any parade, I think we deserve to be where we are, all I am saying is that if we fall a bit in the standings it shouldn’t start setting off alarm bells or change one’s perception of our team. It’s a good, young competitive squad but one that is still “rebuilding,” or better, building towards a higher status of play.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Cal says:

After all the almost 3 weeks long streak, the Habs are 5 games above .500 and that’s great for a team I consider (still) to be a bubble team. Who knew the Emelinator Effect™ would be the game changer that it’s been?
      Habs are a bit better so far than I thought, and that’s a good thing. Great time to be a fan and enjoy their exploits.
      Now, if they can kill the Gooins tonight and make Jabba apoplectic, it will be a great night.

• JUST ME says:

Very good comment there Jackal and very wise also.
      I think that it is pretty obvious that the Habs still need something more to be able to compete with a few westerrn hockey machines but how many years with the best in OUR conference will it take before reporters like Boone take the optimistic road and are able like you are to paint a realistic picture of the situation about where the team was not so long ago and where it is now.
      Of course the negative road is always easier cause it does attrack those who are just waiting for the i told you sos and the being a blind cheerleader accusation…

Yesterday`s game although awkward was worth more than the two points in the standings for me. The guys showed everyone that they do hang on as they did since the beginning of the season and can play inspired hockey.

34. ajk025 says:

Mr. Boone,

Completely agree with your assessment and the fact that it is somewhat of a surprise, especially with the way we were playing at the beginning of the season. BUT not sure what you meant by this was supposed to be a “rebuilding” year? I consider teams like Florida and Calgary that have no good players 25+ but a ton of young up and comers, not the Habs that have a good mix of vets ( pleks, gio, markov) and soon to be greats (EGG).

We have three great lines, a better than average defensive corps, and a great goalie tandem. Anyway, just wanted some clarification from you or anyone else. Thanks!

And what a game last night!

35. HabsLifer says:

I know a lot of us will not be happy when Parnell Karl Subban is not selected for Socchi (you will notice I didn’t say “if” he is not selected). If you listen to Antichambre last night, you would have heard the truth from who else but Bergy. He calls the whole issue the “clique” factor. He talked about how the Olympic selection committee is comprised of a bunch of old hockey friends and the likes of Glen Sather and Kevin Lowe are major contributors. Merit has very little to do with being on the team and that’s why Babcock has been so vague on PK’s chances. Better just suck it up folks, and enjoy our team’s successes.

———————————
    Claude Provost Rocked!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Now finally a post that hits it on the nose…politics is a word I use when these issues come up. It is like the many who think Gretzky has to somehow be annointed to a role of supreme leadership on some lucky team. The truth is he hasn’t shown he deserves any consideration based on the time in Phoenix where he didn’t show much at all and one player he coached called him the worst coach he played for in his career. Oh now you will say what about the big comeback with team Canada….well he was ridiculed by most hockey minds when he went public with the whining and complaining and the same people who ridiculed him later prainsed him for turning around the team by speaking ( whining to the public ) give me a break. He deserves to be known as a grewat hockey player and that’s it. He is a poor speaker with the personality of turnip.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Great players a la Jordan, Gretzky, etc. who’s only desire is to win and send their teams to multiple championships are a dying breed in this new age of me, me, me. Great players sacrificed a lot for the better of their team. Great players usually make terrible coaches because they don’t understand why today’s athlete’s don’t want to win at all costs like when they were playing. Thus being labeled slave drivers or too demanding.

• Eddie says:

Bergeron knows hockey. But once he starts talking like he knows the “cliques”, I would say he is not nearly as insightful.

Subban is great for hockey and great for the Canadian game.

He’s having a terrific season, he’s the reigning Norris winner, and he’s as good or better than anyone in the league on most nights.

There are two defencemen in the world who I would choose before Subban; Shea Webber and Chara.

Yzerman knows all of this and much more. Subban will be in Sochi.

• Curtis O Habs says:

I also suspect Crosby`s dislike of PK will play a role in the decision.

• The Jackal says:

Crosby doesn’t dislike PK!
        They are just competitors who go hard.
        Like PK said… I imagine him with the gold medal, Crosby in one arm, Carey in the other, in the team picture.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Maritime Ronn says:

What also ‘may’ not help Subban’s cause are some of the Assistant coaches that will preach for their own Parish

St. Louis Blues Ken Hitchcock – he has Dmen candidates Pietrangelo and Boumeester on his squad…
      St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong is also part of Team Canada’s Management group.

Claude Julien – you can figure that out for yourselves.

• HabsLifer says:

Spoken like a true fellow maritimer! It’s all about the politics of the game. It happens in every aspect of life. Hockey is no different. Most of the team’s defence core will be from the Western Conference, regardless of how the rest of us feel about PK. And what about Gallagher? I think he should be in the mix. But don’t count on it. They would probably say he’s too small. What a shame. I think he would be great with his forecheck and speed.

———————————
        Claude Provost Rocked!

Am I correct in assuming that Reid Boucher’s shootout goal will not count as his first “official” NHL goal? How ironic is that?

Too bad the Habs didn’t draft Eric Gelinas (Montreal traded away their two second round picks that year). He looked great out there last night.

I abhor fighting in the NHL. I envision a much different style of play that would be exciting and entertaining. Most fights are a total waste of time that have little impact on the outcome of the game. Not to mention they disturb the ebb and flow of the contest. A prime example of that last night was the Prust/Janssen tilt. Totally unnecessary after Janssen handed out two clean checks. Could you imagine if it had been the other way around? Hab fans would have been crying the blues, big time. This was a stupid play be Prust. Please save me the malarkey about Prust standing up for his teammates.

Having said all of that, I’m a realist when it comes to today’s NHL. Gary Bettman, the league GMs and the NHLPA have no desire or intention to clean up the game. The code and the Neanderthal mindset are thoroughly entrenched. With that in mind, the Habs have no choice but to dress Parros at the expense of Bournival. If not now, then why did they make him part the team?

What’s the cost? Basically it means the Habs will be playing a man short tonight in terms of their bench strength. It’s Montréal’s 3rd game in 4 nights while the Bruins are well rested. The team will either have to double shift a player to fill out the 4th line or basically go with 3.5 lines. Sadly, Michael Bournival will sit in the stands. This being the young player who can add speed, skill and enthusiasm to any of the four lines that MT might want to create.

Read it and weep.

• doc359 says:

Bournie showed he has the skill to pop up to that Eller line and contribute, if we take him out of there, we not only make a less useable 4th line, but a less useable 3rd line because Eller is back to having Prust as a winger (assuming no Bourque)

• habs-fan-84 says:

Last night’s fight with Prust was really, really lame. There’s was even a sprinkling of boos from the crowd it was that bad.

Totally unnecessary.

• krob1000 says:

I disagree Steve..yes the hit was clean,….but the message is clear…don;t hit the future franchise player for no reason. Jansenn did not have to make that hit and he knew waht he was doing. HE knew with PRust out here (the reason Prust plays with those guys is for this exact scenario). Why is Cam Janssen playing against Eller and GlachneyuK? really….why would any coach play Cam Janssen against Eller and Galcehnyuk? Galchenyuk is fair play like every other player but Janssen (still within the rules for sure) wnet out of his way to “finish” the check very late..he knew aht he was doing…as soon as he made the hit he was ready to drop his gloves….
      If guys like Cam Janssen are let to follow through that late every time they possibly can on aplayer like Galcneyuk it is only a matter of time before he gets hurt. Right thing by Prust to do and he nows it and knows why he is playing there.

38. Propwash says:

In the case of Subban making an error last night and everyone in the media piling up on it, there’s a saying that rings true…

“One oh sh1t erases a hundred ‘attaboys.”

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

39. RAM_TOUGH says:

rhino514

Your comment towards Ryder are asinine to say the least! He had 3 very good seasons in Montreal till Carbo screwed him up. Carbo wanted Ryder to play more defensive which he did & his production went down. Every Hab in the playoffs last season sucked! Don’t post such drivel!

Guts-Glory-Ram

Good Morning everyone, what a finish, wild and wacky indeed. Love the size of the fight in our dog, the Habs. Those last 30 seconds showed a great deal about the Habs.

If not for those pesky Sharks out West the Habs would be owners of the best record in the last 10 games played in the entire NHL, but having the 2nd best isn’t too shabby.

I think just yesterday Gionta was being questioned on this very site. I myself said that while he has been responsible on the ice, his offence is definitely suffering. Thanks for showing me up Cappy, what a game he played. And special mention to Briere for a beauty of a pass on that first goal.

Hard to not get excited by this team right now.

Tonights game will be awesome!!!

41. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. Some final thoughts before I move on to the Bruin game tonight.

GM Lou get’s a ton of credit for his job as GM in New Jersey. One thing he’s done poorly is the marketing of his team. 12,000 fans in the New York market are proof of that.

New York is filled with sports radio and newspapers. I’ve heard more then one jockey report that the Devils are the worst in sports at making their players and coaches available. Therefore, there is zero buzz concerning the Devils. Zero. Add to that the nearly unwatchable style of play and NY City prices for admission and concessions, and you understand why the empty seats outnumbered the filled ones. Lou fails as a revenue generator big time.

It’s not all on Lou. One of the nicest building in the NHL was built in one of the most God awful cities this side of Detroit. Of course the poverty stricken City of Newark promised their taxpayers that their INVESTMENT in this wonderful building would rejuvenate the downtown Newark area. So as the City was laying off firefighter and Police Officers they invest millions in an arena. The citizens are still waiting for the rejuvenation.

This is not as a well run organization as the Lou Lovers in the press would make you think it is. In fact in my opinion it’s a disaster that doesn’t appear to be getting better anytime soon.

Some other thoughts.

Dear DD: I am sorry.

The last line change advantage for NJ was a big plus last night. Our #3 d and #4 line got caught out there a few times.

Crankshaft > Frankie B

Loved the reaction of PK on the tying goal but loved the response of the team better.

I thought that was Gio’s best game in a long time. A very long time.

CHeers.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu > Frankie B > Crankshaft

• Habfan10912 says:

Don’t disagree with you about the kids but I think the organization prefers them to play big minutes on the farm as opposed to limited minutes with the big boys.

• Chris says:

Tinordi was struggling mightily when he was up with the big club earlier in the season. Beaulieu isn’t ready yet. I can’t comment on Pateryn as I haven’t seen enough of him.

One or more of the kids will get a call up when one of the regular defenceman gets hit with an inevitable injury. Until then, they are far better off getting massive minutes in Hamilton while they wait their turn.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hard to argue with what we’re seeing from our dman since Emelin returned. The unit is the most improved aspect of the team thus far. By far.

• The Jackal says:

Hey Chris, good posts. Saw some angry mob of commentators get on you for criticizing PK as if you insulted their family or something. I agree that while PK is amazing, he is not infallible. He is my favourite Hab but we can’t pretend that he doesn’t make mistakes. Sure, every other Hab does but we criticize them for making mistakes too. Just saying, hope you keep posting and don’t be discouraged by the mob’s reaction :D

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Kooch7800 says:

Chris, Pateryn is playing the best out of three by far. I would say he is pretty much ready

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• scott9002ca says:

Its funny cuz i remember the D being nearly this good last year before the Emelin injury. I was sure things were going to get much better when Emelin returned. He’s not on the level of PK, but he’s pretty good.

42. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Bill

You bring up a good point below about how the Bruin tough guys can also play hockey.
    No doubt that is the Habs goal down the road if any of these develop such as Tinordi (just about sure)-McCarron-Crisp-Thrower-Fournier-Nevins…

As for the Habs dressing Parros, there may be a bigger picture about that for at least the first 1/2-3/4 of the season…as I don’t believe we will see much of Parros in the last 20 games.

In the previous seasons, and when some bigger-tougher teams wanted, they pushed around and rag dolled the Habs at will.
    Remember the home ice beat down by the Leafs last year both on the scoreboard and on the ice?
    Or a few years ago in Boston at the end of the game?

Or what about when Coward Phaneuf would run Gallagher at will or the other pink skirt Kadri doing the same…and there was no response?

All the Habs are saying now is, “No More-Enough!”
    The Habs are now saying if that’s the brand you want to play, we’ll certainly oblige. Bring it on
    You want to play real hockey? Fine, let’s play.

Parros is a stop gap measure for this year as several of the tougher guys that can play were not ever available to the Habs.

Please remember the words of Brendan Gallagher on RDS after the last game against Toronto concerning the presence of Parros after the Orr fight:
    “… the guys on the bench loved it – we fed off it. George gets us the respect on the ice.”

If it’s good enough for Gallagher, it should be good enough for HIO.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Ronn. I’m from the anti fighting camp but MB obtained Parros for these types of games. I’d be shocked if Parros is not in the lineup tonight.

Parros does not need to get a regular shift on the 4th line. You can double someone there and just give Parros the occasional shift to calm things down if need be.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

The faster the NHL can identify and get rid of the “Stagged Fight” the better.

The Habs didn’t start the nonsense of the arms build-up by the warped Carlyle Leafs, yet they had to react to allow the skilled players to do their thing without constant fear of getting hammered and cheap shotted out there.

It’s kind of like ‘old western county’ law.
        When you can’t convince the neighbour to put the gun down pointed at you – and the Sherrif won’t help or can’t be bothered, what’s a neighbour to do?

43. Marc10 says:

It’s a shame I too had doubts about this team. I would have loved for the HIO crew to rock up in full Sanra gear in the sweltering Sydney sun to hand me my gift basket. It would have been a very expensive gift basket delivery but alas, I always pictured this team as a bubble team.

We’ll, they’re proving the doubters wrong. Tomorrow on the tail end of a back to back… three games in four nights… against Satan’s team… that’s a very big ask. But regardless of what happens (please beat these mofos into the ice and make that little b$&@$ Marchand cry like a baby), I am no longer a doubting Thomas. Bubble team my arse!

44. JM says:

Tonight will be all about Defence and Goaltending. The Habs are a better team all around except Goals for so if they play their game for 60 minutes they should be able to squeak out a close one.

Should they lose. I hope there’s no negative stuff. This team has played some great hockey as of late.

45. Bill says:

Funny thing about the Bruins is that they don’t really have a goon: Thornton is a tough fighter, Lucik is a beast, and Chara is some kind of mountain troll, but they’re all hockey players. It’s not like going up against the Leafs, who have two goons, so it’s debatable if this is a game Parros should be in.

That said, I’m gonna relax and accept whatever lineup choices get made. If Parros is out, great, we have four good lines. If he’s in, great, at least Prust won’t have to fight Thornton if he gets frisky.

Either way, hope the Habs focus on winning this important game instead of making some kind of statement. Because they are actually a more talented team overall, and not as tough even with Parros. They’ll win by playing their game, and lose if they play the Bruins’ game.

46. Maritime Ronn says:

Good Morning

It’s quite disappointing to read the darts tossed at our Norris Trophy winner for just 1 play…

As Carbo mentioned, hockey is a game of mistakes and it’s not about 1 play – or 1 period – or 1 game or a group of 5 games – it’s all about an 82 game body of work, and how players match up against peers during that period.

First off, and since some on HIO are soooo focussed on an unfortunate PK giveaway last night, let’s look at ‘Giveaways’ for Dmen…this YEAR to date.

NHL Leader for Dman Giveaways?
    Try Eric Karlsson with 41!
    3rd place? Niklas Hjalmarsson of the Hawks with 34.
    11th place? Drew Doughty with 28.
    19th place? A fella by the name of P.K. Subban tied with Kris Letang and Seth Jones….

…and by the way, Erik Karlsson has the 2nd worst (+ -) on his own team for Dmen at Minus -4.
    Subban is 2nd best on the Habs at Plus + 9.

Then the question of how Subban contributes to the overall Habs offense.

Subban has either scored or assisted on an almost unbelievable 31% of ALL Habs goals scored.
    Habs have scored 78 goals and Subban has 4 goals/20 assists.

The Habs Power play?
    Subban has either scored or assisted on an amazing 48% of ALL Habs 25 PP goals ( 2 goals/10 assists) – a Habs PP that now ranks 4th in the NHL ahead of supposed PP Powerhouses such as Chicago-Washington-San Jose-Detroit-Los Angeles-Anaheim-and the dreaded Boston…

Perhaps the next time some want to put a magnifying glass on a single mistake committed by PK, these ‘total body of work’ numbers should be taken into consideration as he plays almost 25 minutes a game.

• JM says:

Couldn’t agree more Ronn. All the dart throwers should take a look at the Habs stats. Who’s at the top.

• Habs1962 says:

Good Post
      Important to ensure the facts do get in the way of a story !
      PK is playing incredible on a winning team and I look forward to seeing him with the Team Canada sweater on !
      I say he makes it and I also say he will end up with top 4 minutes once the brass see what he is doing for them in the preliminary games!
      GO HABS GO!!

• Chris says:

All the stats you highlighted indeed indicate that P.K. Subban is a top NHL defenceman.

But it is simply ridiculous how thin-skinned some people get when it comes to P.K. Subban. He is approaching the same level of hyperbole that surrounded Carey Price 3 or 4 years ago.

Like Price 3 or 4 years ago, Subban is a superlative player. But he was not superlative last night. He had a lousy game highlighted by some poor decisions, bobbled plays and one particularly dirty play. Exactly the kind of game that we haven’t seen from Subban since the early part of last year.

Every player in the NHL has them. The best player in the NHL, Sidney Crosby, was terrible in the last game against the Canadiens. It happens.

Acknowledging that it happened last night isn’t throwing darts. But discussing how great Subban is on a night where he wasn’t at all great calls one’s objectivity into question. Hockey is a team game, and the incessant need to pump the tires of two or three players means that we don’t usually give credit where it is due on nights when one of the lesser lights steps up.

For the record, I find it a little silly to cite P.K. Subban’s “amazing” involvement in 48% of Montreal’s power play goals. Given that Subban has played an amazing 79.5% of Montreal’s total power play time on the season, I would sincerely hope that he was on the ice for 48% of the goals. If anything, that number should probably be a bit higher.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Carey Price hyperbole was unwarranted as he never won anything at the NHL level, nor did he ever carry the Habs in the playoffs.
        An example was losing 3 of the last 4 games in OT against the Bruins in that 7 game playoff in 2010.

As for PK, who exactly argued that he had a great game last night? If you saw one, please point it out.

The point being made is that PK doesn’t deserve the darts being tossed at him for 1 single game.
        Stuff happens to the best – Crosby included.

It’s not a question of pumping tires – it’s a question of looking at a total body of work and then comparing that to peers.

PK Slewfoot? Perhaps you should look at him and how he was being held up in the O zone.

…or maybe you would like to comment on this brutal slewfoot by Crosby

• Chris says:

Crosby gets called out all the time for frequently crossing the line when it comes to dirty play. I certainly have no problem pointing out when Crosby acts like an idiot on the ice.

• twilighthours says:

Hey Chris, long time no see. I read your little blurb on PK last night. I disagree with some of it, and think it was a mistake. But since you’re our most valuable poster, and by a long ways, I’ll forgive you one bad post and instead remember all the good posts you make, day in and day out, that makes our HIO team so good.

• Chris says:

I don’t think it was a mistake, even after a night to think about it. I absolutely detest slew foot plays…they are absolutely brutal. I’m probably just hyper-sensitive to it because I’ve hurt my back a couple of times in games when clowns have slew footed me. That’s the fourth time that I can think of off the top of my head (Kunitz, for which he was fined, Dubinsky, and Neal being the other victims). That number is getting a little high for my liking.

The game feed didn’t pick it up well, but the highlight on Rogers Sportsnet last night showed that it was a deliberate kick to the back of Elias’ skate. That was a textbook slew foot.

As I mentioned later in the night, I just find it so strange that people go on and on about Subban’s greatness when he wasn’t particularly playing well. Can we not give it a rest for one night and talk about the resurrection of David Desharnais (3 goals and 9 points in his last 8 games, plus a couple of clutch shootout goals)? Alexei Emelin has returned and he and Gorges are playing great hockey. The Briere-Plekanec-Gionta line has played some excellent possession hockey since being united, giving the Habs a complementary line to the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher line. Peter Budaj has played absolutely great hockey this season, and he made some very tough saves last night to help the Habs stay in the game (although that Loktionov squeaker was one he definitely wants back).

There are so many things to love about the Habs right now. I think the issue around Subban is the hyper-sensitivity of Habs fans to his potentially being left off Team Canada. No amount of bellyaching or questioning on our part is going to make the decision for against his inclusion, so I’m not sure what we gain by the incessant chatter on that front.

Should Subban be there? Absolutely. Will he? Only a few people know the answer to that question, and none of them post here.

• punkster says:

Well played Twi.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
          but…
          ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Walmyr says:

Ronn…don’t worry….

Nobody will remember that play at the end of the season…an PK will be fighting for another Norris trophy

47. Old Bald Bird says:

It looks like both Murray and Parros are in.

Edit: Sorry. Jumped the gun. This was before scratches.

48. Old Bald Bird says:

I think this team relishes the challenge of protecting a one goal lead, but it’s hard to pull off.

PK bobbled the puck. It happens. I once saw The Big M Take the puck away from Bobby Orr at the Boston blue line and go in to score — in a playoff game no less. The incident didn’t seem to lessen Orr’s status for anybody.

49. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Clearly, Therrien must be fired because the team has given up on him, Desharnais only plays because he speaks French, Subban is miserably mistreated and Pacioretty is soft.

It took me a while to come around to the majority opinion, but I can learn.

Guarded optimism. The end of that mind-numbing game last night showed a lot.

50. Habs_4_ever says:

Can we add a possible answer to the poll question? How about “All Of The Above” or “All Of Them Equally” or “The whole Team Including The Coach”

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

51. Dulljerk says:

Dress Parros, or regret it Friday.

Nuff said.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I guess, technically, I will not be eligible for the gift-basket because My prediction did not specifically state Our Habs would be in or battling for first by December …yet,if You go back to My prediction vetted herein HIO in September/October. I did predict Our Habs to come in first at season’s end

…do I get a consolation prize ?

…hint, I would prefer a 2 week all-expenses vacation in Tahiti over any ‘date’ with Patrick V. Hickey

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: Go Habs Gooo !!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I also did not mention the month of December. However I repeatedly asserted that the Habs were top three in the conference along with Boston and Pittsburgh. And for an extra bonus perhaps a Gazette T-shirt I also predicted that Ottawa would be near the bottom.

Please just donate the money for my gift to a good cause.

53. JUST ME says:

Funny how it works in MTL in the media. You cannot be a cheerleader but can be at the opposite and be always negative. Now that`s a trooper !
    Just do not see how mr Boone could doubt about the possible Hab season this year. It could have gone any direction and for as far as we knew they were within the best in their congference last season. Of course the team had a slump and some then said thaT in an 82 games schedule…But we deserve to be where we are in the standings now and so did we last season.

Big W yesterday. They showed character . Again D.D. did the job and so did Therrien . Happy that everyone stuck for everyone. Budaj is the man ! P.K. is so exciting to watch and i will deal with whatever he brings to the game cause much more positive comes out of it.

So why not another W tonight ? We got Parros and Murray for those kind of games and i think it is our turn to take control of the game and the situation and who knows ? We might be number one tomorrow ! I just know that the Habs never gIve up this season so far and remained in contention in every game they played so Go Habs Go !

54. rhino514 says:

What is it with Michael Ryder? What did we ever do to this guy? As a hab he was content to make paper airplanes. Then as a bruin he gets a goal which allows his team to beat us in overtime game 7 and go on to win the Cup. Now as a devil he is a scoring machine against us.
    The rest of the time he doesn´t show up for work.
    Why does this man want to destroy us?

55. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

If Parros isn’t going to be in the lineup against the Bruins why do we have him?

• Seps says:

You make a good point, although he’s almost strictly for the Sens or Leafs. The Bruins try to coax you into playing their game and countless teams fall into it and lose. Montreal has always kept away from playing that game against them and is a big reason for our success against them.

• ianism says:

who cares? it’s not like the team is wasting a lot of cap space with him. seriously though, he’s proven that he’s not really good enough to warrant playing him 95% of the time. i think the people who say that the team should play to its own strengths are right.

56. Sportfan says:

I think he’s lost his mind lol

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Booyah!! G’nite. #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Curtoph says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: I can tell you there are some developments in the works that will ensure TSN’s hockey coverage remains first rate for a long, long time.

57. The Dude says:

Love what is brewing with our team but I must demand Parros and a Habs Heavyweight line-up against the Bruins and a allout SMACK DOWN ! iT’S TIME THAT Parros,Moan,Subban,Prust ,Murray,Emellin,Borque,Gallagher and White even the score!!!

58. Sportfan says:

Kari Ramo had a couple of penalties tonight, what did they teach him in the KHL?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. Rad says:

Thursday’s game against the Bruins will be the real test. Boston is the best in the East. The way the upstart Habs are playing, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see another W tomorrow night.

• naweed235 says:

The only problem is that for the Habs it’s a 3rd game in 4th nights whereas those pukes have been resting nicely. So I wouldn’t say it’s on fair grounds… but I am not one to accept that as an excuse for not owning those F@#$heads

60. BCG says:

Everybody loses control of the puck at inopportune moments – it’s not the same kind of turnover as an errant dangerous pass. Drawing attention to Subban’s loss of puck control is making a mountain out of a molehill – but then that’s what those kind of people do with guys like Subban.

61. Sportfan says:

I’m part of the group that would like to see Bournival with Eller and Chucky it might give them the Gallagher spark.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

62. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Bournival, Eller, Galchenyuk. The BEG line, as in, HIO is BEGging MT to roll this line!

I miss the EGG line, but I’m much more fond of having Ws to toast!

Salut! Santé!

63. 19yan65 says:

13000 fans what s up with that.Must be strange for players to play in front of a sell out bell only to turn around and play in a half empty arena

• ianism says:

… and vice versa. still, though, in pretty much every other hockey league in the world 13 000 is well above the norm.

• arya13 says:

I was at the game last night, bought tickets off Craigslist. The Season Ticket Holder I got them from said after Monday’s game, no one really wants to show up for an early 7PM Wednesday game. From fan’s at the game and their ending reactions (like I was expecting utter shock and depression after the loss but instead it was just shrugs and sighs of again….), I think they’re giving up on the team this year. People don’t care to show up….

I’ve been to multiple NJ games in the past couple years and it’s usually a full building with a good atmosphere. Definitely felt different this time. Brodeur deserves better on probably his last season.

MaxPac will raise 5 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

• scott9002ca says:

But they’re really not that far out of the playoffs… before we went into this hot streak we weren’t doing that much worse than they are now… they’re 3 points out.

64. Habilis says:

Ahem:

“Habilis SEPTEMBER 30, 2013 AT 1:02 PM
    1. Montreal
    2. Boston
    3. Ottawa
    4. Detroit
    5. Toronto
    6. Tampa Bay
    7. Buffalo
    8. Florida

We finish first, the Wings get a wildcard, the Loafs finish out of the playoffs, and all is well with the universe.

[Click to Edit | Request Deletion]”

There it is, unedited. OK, so I was off about Ottawa and Tampa and have Buffalo flipped with Florida, but I believe that this meets all the requirements. Please be sure to let me know in advance when you will all be showing up, gotta set up the cam for this. :D

Seriously though, great read as always Mr. Boone. Habs winning games they shouldn’t, Leafs losing to everyone. B’s in town tomorrow. Smells good.

65. Sportfan says:

I dunno I’d like Landeskog or Duchene if we had to send max the other way! Don’t forget its rumored that John Mitchell could also be the rumored player.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The_Truth says:

The Avs would never move Landeskog or Duchene and I really don’t see how MB would move Max. I know the Avs would part with Stastny, but for who? We have a backlog of centers too.

I don’t mind our centers right now. Would rather have a big scoring winger, Like Cole was for us a few years back. Could we move Stastny or Eller to the wing and move Bourque, Gorges and a 1st for Stastny?

66. GomezForPresident says:

he absolutely does have to move bournival on to that line with chucky and larry… problem is chucky needs to be coached up some more… all the talent in the world but the one issue i see in his game is he doesn’t move his feet all the time… needs to use that frame some more and have the puck on his stick more often

67. Ozmodiar says:

Good ALN, Boone. Now get some sleep! Big game tomorrow*!!

* today

68. CHasman says:

Okay Mr. Boone, you asked for it. Quite frankly I’m surprised you don’t remember my comments from Sept 30 at 1:15 pm. You had asked us for our predictions and this is what I said.
    I predicted that Montreal would be fighting for first place and finish in the top three in our division. I said that our third line (which was Eller, Galcheniuk and Gallagher) would be the best third line in the league. I think they would be if they still played together but we all know how much they’ve done for the team this year. I said Markov was skating much better this year and teamed with Subban would lead the defence. Pleks would still have it, Pacioretty would score 40 and Price would have a great season. Those are the highlights (I also said nice things about Diaz and Tinordi) but the main elements are all there I haven’t mentioned them because I’m a little superstitious but you asked. It’s all there.

69. ProHabs says:

Prust showed tonight why he plays with Eller and Galchenuk. If you touch any of them, you get an upper cut to the chin.

70. FANHABULOUS says:

Great ALN once again Mr Boone.

But I disagree with you 4th line selection. The Bruins are one of the teams where Parros will have an influence in the game… by reducing the chances of buffoonery, and allowing our guys to play free and without fear.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• spos080808 says:

Or you could put a lineup of speed and skill against the Bruins like last season in which they went 3-1. Also, if the Bruins want to goon it up, let them. Remember when Chara went after Emelin and got a 2-5-10 and allowed the Habs to come back and win the game? Do not comform the lineup to another team, work to your strengths.

Let Murray get in the lineup as the 6 dman and go with a 4th line of Prust-White-Moen. Those guys can scrap if need be, but more importantly, they can PLAY hockey.

71. haboholic68NJ says:

Just got back from the Pru Center. What an upper cut by Prust. Crazy third period. Lars and DD were clutch.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

I think everybody at one point in time has suggested Bournival playing with Eller and Galchenyuk with a fourth line of Brandon Prust, Ryan White and Travis Moen.

73. Adidess says: